PDA

View Full Version : Season 71 - Rico Maierhofer's final UAAP season?

tigerman
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.ngetstudio.com/Team-Pilip...e-e9795647b712

3 top amateurs enter PBA draft instead

Three standouts from the collegiate ranks decided not to sign the contracts offered them by Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Noli Eala to join the national pool under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

Ogie Menor of National Collegiate Athletic Association champion San Beda College, Rico Maierhofer of La Salle and Marcy Arellano of University of the East told www.insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that they decided not to accept the SBP contracts and instead enter the PBA Annual Draft in August.

"I really want to enter the PBA because if I don't enter now, I will lose that opportunity," said Menor, who added that his brother was angry over the unfair contract originally offered the players.

Maierhofer characterized joining the national pool under Toroman as "maybe the wrong move," adding that he had decided to enter the PBA.

Playing in his final season in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, Maierhofer averaged 12.9 points, 9.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists and almost 2 shot blocks a game.

Can anyone confirm this? Boss bigfreeze_bibby?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

glock23
02-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Three standouts from the collegiate ranks decided not to sign the contracts offered them by Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Noli Eala to join the national pool under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

Ogie Menor of National Collegiate Athletic Association champion San Beda College, Rico Maierhofer of La Salle and Marcy Arellano of University of the East told www.insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that they decided not to accept the SBP contracts and instead enter the PBA Annual Draft in August.

"I really want to enter the PBA because if I don't enter now, I will lose that opportunity," said Menor, who added that his brother was angry over the unfair contract originally offered the players.

Maierhofer characterized joining the national pool under Toroman as "maybe the wrong move," adding that he had decided to enter the PBA.

Playing in his final season in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, Maierhofer averaged 12.9 points, 9.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists and almost 2 shot blocks a game.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Confirmed by GreenArrows that rico will join the PBA but didnt say what year he will join the draft. He might still finish his playing years in DLSU and collect his diploma which is the most important. We'll see :)

izon
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Confirmed by GreenArrows that rico will join the PBA but didnt say what year he will join the draft. He might still finish his playing years in DLSU and collect his diploma which is the most important. We'll see :)

Sana hindi muna mag ibang isip si Rico na mag join this coming PBA season draft and in the meantime play for the Archers in the coming UAAP wars. Malaking kawalan sya.

aarreza
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Guess this ends discussions on whether Rico will stay for 1 more year... can't blame him as he also has to look out for his family... Goodluck to Rico and thanks for the memories... ANIMO La Salle!!!

===================================

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=449548&publicationSubCategoryId=69 (ftp://http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=449548&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

Maierhofer opts to try luck in PBA
Updated March 18, 2009 12:00 AM*

MANILA, Philippines - The Green Archers will surely miss Rico Maierhofer.

“Yes, of course. We will miss him,” said La Salle head coach Franz Pumaren yesterday when asked about the status of the fearless forward who won the UAAP crown with the team in 2007.

Maierhofer, who is graduating this semester, is still eligible to play for La Salle this coming UAAP season which starts on July 11. But he has decided to drop it and instead apply for the 2010 PBA draft.

“If it’s a better opportunity for him, we will not hold him back. It’s like the case of Mac Mac (Cardona) who still had one more year left with us but opted for the PBA so we let him go,” Pumaren added.

Maierhofer also decided to shy away from the national pool that was formed by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman. For the meantime, he can play in the PBL.

The country’s finest amateur cagers have been lured by the SBP to be part of the team that may represent the Philippines in major international competitions that can go as high as the Olympics.

And for the first time in history, players are being offered contracts which according to SBP executive director Noli Eala could come close or even match some of those being offered PBA players.

But for some reason, Maierhofer had to turn it down, and give the PBA a shot.* * *– Abac Cordero

GHRanger
03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Rico -- Thanks very much! Good luck in your endeavors!

batangueño
03-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Maraming salamat, Rico. I wish you the best in all of your endeavors. :)

Thank you for sharing your talent and a part of your life to all of us in the Lasallian community. We will always be behind you, Rico.

God speed, Rico.

AN1MO LA SALLE!

aircanda
03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Good Luck Rico. I would love to see you and Japeth giving it all out once again when you two meet in the pros. Sayang. Naputol ang rivalry niyo.

BLUE HORSE
03-19-2009, 08:35 AM
^

The rivalry will continue in the PBA. Let's wait until May for Japeth's plan. They may end up competing for the overall first pick of this years PBA draft. Which team holds the first rights?

Sam Miguel
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
With Rico Maierhofer opting to turn pro now would be the best time to bring along the other Lasalle bigs like Ferdinand and Maui Villanueva. Also, I believe man-child Arvie Bringas is now practicing with Lasalle, which should bolster the frontline for the green and white. Maierhofer's numbers will be difficult to replace, especially off the boards and with his ability to block shots, which means gang rebounding and tighter on-ball defense will once again be the order of the day for the Archers.

aarreza
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
With Rico Maierhofer opting to turn pro now would be the best time to bring along the other Lasalle bigs like Ferdinand and Maui Villanueva. Also, I believe man-child Arvie Bringas is now practicing with Lasalle, which should bolster the frontline for the green and white. Maierhofer's numbers will be difficult to replace, especially off the boards and with his ability to block shots, which means gang rebounding and tighter on-ball defense will once again be the order of the day for the Archers.

Is this already confirmed? If this is indeed true, DSLU's frontline will be pretty solid particularly in 2 years time (Season 74) when Torres joins a more seasoned Bringas and Paredes.

easter
03-19-2009, 06:25 PM
^ I think this is the go signal for Bringas to come in to DLSU. He will be the main big man at the outset of his UAAP career tapos with a championship contender pa and with a glamorous school.

It is very hard to see him turn this one down.

glock23
03-19-2009, 11:34 PM
^ I think this is the go signal for Bringas to come in to DLSU. He will be the main big man at the outset of his UAAP career tapos with a championship contender pa and with a glamorous school.

It is very hard to see him turn this one down.

I personally think that he has decided on where to go, its more of will he be allowed to leave. :)

izon
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Is this already confirmed? If this is indeed true, DSLU's frontline will be pretty solid particularly in 2 years time (Season 74) when Torres joins a more seasoned Bringas and Paredes.

Oo nga is this true? Can anyone verify this?

wolverine78ph
03-20-2009, 10:16 PM
No confirmation can be made until the player has been enrolled at La Salle ;)

Istorbo
03-21-2009, 02:00 PM
It has been confirmed by Ato Agustin. coach of the Stags, that Arvie Bringas has left the Stags and that Franz approached him for Bringas' services. Looks like the Archers want the rebuild process asap.

kuzma1313
03-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Good News if Bringas and Paredes is a sure shoo-in for the archer next season....

Any other incoming rookies for the archers?

duphaR007
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
nice one for dlsu. question is, pasok ba ang grades ni brignas sa dlsu? i've heard kasi may academic problem ang batang to...

TellTell
03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
nice one for dlsu.* question is, pasok ba ang grades ni brignas sa dlsu? i've heard kasi may academic problem ang batang to...

And i assume you heard it from ateneo... what else is new.* A few months ago, they wanted arvie so much that they offered him the heavens so he will play for them.* Arvie refused. So what happened next? they castigate him in a number of forums and start rumors to destroy his credibility knowing that he wanted to play for La Salle.* This is the ateneo way....*

christian
03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Ouch!

duphaR007
03-29-2009, 12:29 AM
nice one for dlsu.* question is, pasok ba ang grades ni brignas sa dlsu? i've heard kasi may academic problem ang batang to...

And i assume you heard it from ateneo... what else is new.* A few months ago, they wanted arvie so much that they offered him the heavens so he will play for them.* Arvie refused. So what happened next? they castigate him in a number of forums and start rumors to destroy his credibility knowing that he wanted to play for La Salle.* This is the ateneo way....*

heard it from my cousin who's a high school teacher at ssc :)

izon
03-29-2009, 09:17 AM

heard it from my cousin who's a high school teacher at ssc* :)

Tanong mo nga rin sa cousin mo kung paano nakapasa si Buenafe .

Ranger
03-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Bringas was not allowed to graduate yesterday because of his impending transfer to DLSU. Arvie has already informed all the school officials of SSC of his wishes to play for the Green and White for the coming UAAP. The officials are trying to hold on to him by doing all this pag-iipit, but they don't realize is all the more Arvie is determined to leave SSC. He was a big part of 3 championships and only recently was a gold medal winner in the shotput and discuss event of the NCAA track & field competition. He has done his share of glory for SSC and his only wishes right now is to move on to Greener pastures....

The most unbelievable part is he wasn't even allowed to take his final exams.

aircanda
03-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Bringas was not allowed to graduate yesterday because of his impending transfer to DLSU. Arvie has already informed all the school officials of SSC of his wishes to play for the Green and White for the coming UAAP. The officials are trying to hold on to him by doing all this pag-iipit, but they don't realize is all the more Arvie is determined to leave SSC. He was a big part of 3 championships and only recently was a gold medal winner in the shotput and discuss event of the NCAA track & field competition. He has done his share of glory for SSC and his only wishes right now is to move on to Greener pastures....

allowed ba ang any school to do this to any of their students? kame nung High School kame, kahit di pa buo ang bayad sa tuition, pinapayagan kameng mag-exam.. hinde ba bawal ito?

izon
03-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Can this be verified? Cause if it is so, this does reflect on the image of San Sebastian considering the rumor of a jueteng lord
is bankrolling this team.

glock23
03-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Ah the cold war continues....but we're on the good side, no worries! ;)

nel
03-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Guys, I think we're going off topic here. This thread is about Rico's final season.

bchoter
03-29-2009, 10:43 PM
So did Rico have a change in name?

pusongbaste
03-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Why would San Sebastian not allow Arvie from graduating if he is qualified to graduate this year? Haven't you guys thought of why during the transfer of ERIC and RYAN there is no issues like this happened? I just want to call fairness here. I'm sure we could all wait for the right time for us to give our opinions instead of giving such presumptions. So for now I suggest that we wait for the announcement of those people who are bound to give the confirmation about this matter. But if Arvie really didn't graduate this year and he was not allowed to take his final exams. The only reason I can think of is maybe Arvie wasn't showing up in his classes. Isn't there a policy in any school that if you exceeded the limit of absences you will be dropped out from the school? For sure their is a policy like this in DLSU? I just hope all of us will think first for a reason why something like this happened before posting such defamatory post. Thanks!

nardy
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Why would San Sebastian not allow Arvie from graduating if he is qualified to graduate this year? Haven't you guys thought of why during the transfer of ERIC and RYAN there is no issues like this happened? I just want to call fairness here. I'm sure we could all wait for the right time for us to give our opinions instead of giving such presumptions. So for now I suggest that we wait for the announcement of those people who are bound to give the confirmation about this matter. But if Arvie really didn't graduate this year and he was not allowed to take his final exams. The only reason I can think of is maybe Arvie wasn't showing up in his classes. Isn't there a policy in any school that if you exceeded the limit of absences you will be dropped out from the school? For sure their is a policy like this in DLSU? I just hope all of us will think first for a reason why something like this happened before posting such defamatory post. Thanks!

back then ..... different people were managing the SSC team

bigfreeze_bibby
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Guys, kindly stick to the topic. The last few exchanges have been outside the topic, which is Rico's final UAAP season.* consider this as a fair warning to all :)

LION
03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
The supporters of other schools in the UAAP are quite happy that Rico M. will no longer play this season. The greens should take that as a compliment.

Jeep
03-31-2009, 03:33 PM
The supporters of other schools in the UAAP are quite happy that Rico M. will no longer play this season. The greens should take that as a compliment.* *

rico maierhoffer should take that as a personal compliment as well. not that the other schools didn't do what they could to keep him in check, and i'm sure everyone did their darndest. but it took a couple of years or so for the blue eagles to find the antidote to the poison that maierhoffer injected on the opposition on both ends of the floor. for all of what the opposing teams and their fans felt were antics and sideshows on his part, rico maierhoffer was a threat to be given due respect at gametime.

i personally wish him well in the pros -- if he is indeed pro-bound. there's no where else to go for someone with his talent.

Kid Cubao
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
first of all, i tip my hat to rico maierhoffer. he is one of the greatest and most courageous UAAP players ever. the fact that he played in the memorable 2007 playoff and championship series even with a severely injured right leg (a high ankle sprain that worsened into a hairline fracture) tells us a lot about his heart.

he is also one of the nicest guys around. not long ago, my cousin and his girlfriend vacationed at a beach resort in puerto galera. he noted how this very tall foreign-looking guy who spoke perfect tagalog attended to their every need, which made their stay very enjoyable. he only later learned that it was indeed rico maierhoffer, who took a brief respite after the UAAP season and helped out while chilling back home.

mltan
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
yeah i think overall mabait naman daw si Rico. on the court, (i think he mentioned this in one of his interviews), kelangan lang daw talagang dalhin yun konting "angas", (which often times get confused with "yabang"), to protect his teammates and to show them that they're not rattled with the "tactics" of any of their opponents. sayang he wont get to play his final year in the uaap, but i think its a personal decision and i believe the whole La Sallian community is behind him and supports of his decision, after all, he has completed his studies and will certainly leave La Salle with a diploma (not sure if he has already graduated), and thats something very important to all of us. again, thanks Rico for your service to DLSU!

ewe_rach
04-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Grabe nalungkot ako sa balitang ito kasi isa siya sa gustong-gusto kong panuorin sa UAAP pero masaya na rin ako kasi may chance siyang makapaglaro sa PBA at mas masuportahan ang kanyang pamilya.
Tungkol naman sa kanyang pag-uugali, maraming nagsasabing mabait siya sadya lang talagang hinid maiwasan na pag-isipan siya ng masama ang ugali dahil na rin sa kinikilos niya.
Anyway, I hope you'll have a very successful career in pros RICO SAUVE!!! =)