yungha
01-06-2009, 02:22 PM
some exciting fights coming up.

Jan. 24 - (HBO) Antonio Margarito - Shane Mosley

Feb. 7 (Sho) Vic Darchinyan - Jorge Arce

Feb 14 - Nate Campbell - Ali Funeka

Feb. 21 (HBO-PPV) Kelly Pavlik - Rubio

Feb 28 (HBO) Juan Manuel Marquez - Juan Diaz

i think margarito will KO mosley round 8. darchinyan will KD arce but settle for comfortable decision win.

jmm vs juan "baby bull" diaz i'll definitely watch. baby bull was one of boxing's rising stars till he fell to nate campbell in a lethargic effort. jmm is "acknowledged" as the #1 lightweight at the moment (note - depending on the publication, pac is now ranked either at welterweight or lightwelter) and he thinks he's so good after beating 36-year-old joel casamayor. take note that casa was given a gift decision despite getting mauled for 12 rounds by jose armando sta cruz, who was knocked out by david diaz, who was murdered by manny. so let's see what the great jmm's got. can't wait.

pio_valenz
01-06-2009, 08:31 PM
yungha, what fight would you most like to see happen in 2009? I'm talking about the fights that haven't already been finalized.

I want to see Valuev against either of the Klitschko brothers. Not that the fight itself would be any good, since Valuev less active than a statue against Holyfield. I just want to see the sight of a seven-footer going down for the count, which I think both Vitaly and Vladimir are capable of doing to Valuev.

yungha
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
^daming pwede.

i think either of the klitschkos can floor valuev.

floyd vs margarito.

edwin valero vs any of the top lightweights (katsidis, jmm, campbell, the 2 diazes) so that bum will be exposed for the mediocre fighter that he is. even randy suico can beat that guy.

our own bernabe concepcion vs larios for the wbc featherweight title.

puerto rican sensation juanma lopez vs rafael marquez.

the winner of donaire-montiel vs winner of darchinyan-arce.

i'd like 44-year-old bernard hopkins to possibly challenge for another world title before he retires.

pio_valenz
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Valero vs. JMM: okay nga yan. Now that Valero is close to signing a deal with Top Rank, he's gonna get his fair share of attention in the lightweight division. So this fight may just happen.

yungha
01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
there's another interesting fight coming up on march 14, amir khan vs mexican legend marco antonio barrera at lightweight.

amir will have the advantages of youth, height (5'11 vs 5'6) and fighting before his home crowd in england. plus he's fresh from a tko win last december. plus he's a natural lightweight while barrera's moving up.

barrera has experience, power, skill and one of the best defenses in boxing.

amir's glass jaw was exposed in a brutal 1st round tko vs unknown breidis prescott. he's still raw and i think barrera will score a flash KD early, box in the later rounds en route to a pts win. marco's too wise to mix it up toe-to-toe against the youngster.

pio_valenz
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM
^Nagulat ako at sinabak agad si Khan against a veteran like Barrera. He's taking a big gamble here. Barrera may be past his prime, but I think he's got too much ring savvy for the youngster.

yungha
01-25-2009, 07:49 PM
how about that - mosley tko's the supposedly "unbeatable at welterweight" antonio margarito. it wasn't a freak KO or a lucky shot did margo in; he was totally dominated with only a few shining moments till sugar shane finally finished him off in the 9th. this should be considered a major upset. finally a major victory for a Golden Boy after a series of setbacks.

can't wait to download this fight once it's available.

razor
01-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Pacquiao vs Mosley, perhaps, in the future?

Mosley and Margarito "only" earned $2.4M each in this fight, which makes Pacquiao's $13M guaranteed purse plus potential PPV earnings all the more impressive. No wonder all the lightweight and welterweight champs and contenders are lining up to fight Pacquiao.*

Kid Cubao
01-25-2009, 08:23 PM
antonio margarito's performance was a big letdown. either that, or sugar shane was just awesome in their title fight. what a great way to announce his bid for the pacquiao sweepstakes. is it in the horizon? seems like it.

yungha
01-25-2009, 10:23 PM
sugar shane will probably call pacquiao out if manny beats hatton. remember, though, that shane has unfinished business with miguel cotto whom he lost to by close unanimous decision. cotto beat mosley, margarito beat cotto, mosley beat margarito. it would be nice to put closure to that compelling triumvurate drama.

mosley also fought dela hoya twice, first at welter (147) then at light middle (154), winning both times by close decision. oscar was never in danger of going down in either fight, unlike in his fight with manny when he almost kissed the canvas in rounds 7 and 8.

yungha
01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
heard about the margarito hand wrapping controversy? this is a criminal offense if there ever was one in boxing. say it ain't so, margo.

Unclean Hands
By “Old Yank” Schneider: Unclean hands are that middle ground between guilt and innocence; a middle ground that leans toward guilt.

“My God, what have we done?” was the official pilot log entry of Captain Robert A. Lewis, the co-piolot of the Enola Gay. He, the normal comander of the plane, along with his crew had just dropped a bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. Nearly 70% of the buildings were flattened; 80,000 people were killed “instantly” and, by the time the death toll from radiation sickness was in, nearly 140,000 people were dead within a year.

Boxing has just had a bomb dropped on the sport and Antonio Margarito and his trainer Javier Capetillo are sitting in the pilot and co-pilot seat in this version of the Enola Gay. At the very least, at this stage of the game these two sports personalities appear to have unclean hands.

But the California State Athletic Commission may very well have unclean hands in this bombshell as well.

“Innocent until proven guilty” are fine words for a legal system to live by. But the court of popular opinion is not ruled by a legal system or the Constitution of the USA.

As of this moment in time here is a review of what has been reported:

Nazim Richardson (Shane Mosley’s trainer), was the man in the Margarito dressing room that was supposed to witness the wrapping of Margarito’s hands. Amazingly, one of Margarito’s hands was already in the glove and signed off by the representative of the California State Athletic Commission when Richardson appeared in the room. The Commission official was reported to be joking with the Margarito entourage while speaking Spanish when Richardson arrived.

Nazim Richardson was reported to be seriously concerned about how Margarito’s one remaining out-of-glove hand had been taped. He insisted that the tape be removed. While the tape was being removed, flakes of a “plaster-like” substance began to fall from Margarito’s hand.

After a bit of a battle, Richardson gained the approval of the Commission representative to have Margarito’s “gloved hand”, ungloved and unwrapped. The same “plaster-like” substance was found on the “gloved hand”.

Richardson made a call for legal representation to be brought into the room. An attorney for the Mosley camp arrived and the questionable substance was bagged in front of the attorney and placed into the custody of the Commission official.

Margarito’s hands were reported to need three attempts at wrapping before Nazim Richardson and the Commission official were finally satisfied.

On Monday morning, at about 8:00 AM Pacific time I phoned Bill Douglass of the California State Athletic Commission. He was reported to be tied up in a meeting. This man is under a lot of pressure to get this right. “Glove loading” is considered by insiders and outsiders alike as one of the most loathsome rules violations in existence in the sport of boxing. The reasoning is straight forward. Any man subjected to blows from loaded gloves is essentially the victim of assault. The case law here is already proven; Luis Resto was jailed for assault after using loaded gloves on Billy Collins in a bout in 1983. Fighters, trainers, fans and individuals of decency all see loaded gloves as a heinous crime. In a sport already seen as legalized brutality, Bill Douglass and the California State Athletic Commission better get this one right!

By the time Monday evening had arrived, I’d placed several calls into the Commission and had an opportunity to gather a lot of information from several sources – inside and outside of the Commission.

Several eye-witness sources close to the controversy have described the substance removed from the Margarito dressing room as “plaster-like”, “plaster of Paris”, “a substance designed to harden after getting wet”. The sources making these descriptions are very credible.

To add injury to insult, the Margarito Camp has not done themselves any favors. They said that the substance was the result of “pre-treated gauze”.

What? Pre-treated? Pre-treated with what?

Now the Margarito camp has made it clear that they pre-treat gauze? For how many bouts have they been “pre-treating” gauze? Do they have samples of this pre-treated gauze? Can they demonstrate to the Commission how they pre-treat the gauze? Will their “samples” and “demonstration” match what the Commission bagged the night of the bout?

And why did the Commission representative not catch this.

One insider reported that the pre-treated gauze may have been treated with plaster and then dried. When used as a wrap it would still bend, but contain dried plaster that could be wetted after application. It would give an outward appearance of being perhaps old, dusty gauze that would or could be easily passed by the untrained eye. But once re-wetted, it would activate the dried plaster and bond to each layer below and form a loaded glove.

All of these parties are innocent until proven guilty. But the court of public opinion may have already spoken. At the very least, there are a group of folks in this controversy that appear to have unclean hands.

Kid Cubao
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
uh-oh, di maganda ang balitang yan. an investigation should be in order. the fact that it was margarito who was knocked out doesn't make a difference here. what will they come up with next, a gel that hardens each time its user gets clocked by an opponent's power punch?

pio_valenz
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
The questions now is how many other times did they pull this stunt off. May duda na ngayon ang mga panalo niya.

yungha
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
isn't it ironic that manny pacquiao was declared the 2008 fighter of the year by the boxing writers association of america, ring magazine, espn.com and SI.com, among others yet here in his home country he's not even recognized as such. the PSA awarded IBF/IBO flyweight champ Nonito Donaire as its fighter of the year.

no offense to nonito who'll be a future top 10 P4P fixture but he only fought once in 2008, defending his titles against moruti mthalane, a jouneyman fighter from south africa who's not even an upper-tier flyweight.

in contrast, manny fought 3 times, winning 2 world titles, ascending to #1 in the world P4P rankings, in the process defeating a 5-time 2-division world champ and P4P #2 JMM the reigning WBC lightweight champ David Diaz, then moved up 2 weight divisions to pummel 10-time 5-division world champ and future hall of famer ODLH.

now you tell me who had the better year.

pio_valenz
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
^If I'm not mistaken, Pacquiao is the PSA's "overall" athlete of the year covering all sports. I guess they have a rule where an athlete can only get one award.

yungha
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
yup he's athlete of the year. i overlooked that.

pio_valenz
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
uh-oh, di maganda ang balitang yan. an investigation should be in order. the fact that it was margarito who was knocked out doesn't make a difference here. what will they come up with next, a gel that hardens each time its user gets clocked by an opponent's power punch?

Margarito and his trainer just got their licenses revoked for a year. Serves them right. What they tried to do could have put Mosley's career (and life) in danger.

Kid Cubao
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
dapat nga mas mahaba-haba pang pagka-suspindi because of the smoking gun evidence and the serious harm it could inflict on the potential victim, in this case shane mosley. it's almost like having a pair of brass knuckles in a bareknuckle bout. perhaps the only reason why he got off with only a one-year suspension is his association with top rank and bob arum, the most powerful man in pro boxing today.

yungha
02-12-2009, 12:07 PM
perhaps the most gracious personality in this entire mess has been miguel cotto, who lost his title to margarito a few months back. if you recall, rock-hard cotto was favored in that matchup yet was blasted into submission by margo in a stunning reversal. margo kept throwing BOMBS that repeatedly rocked and bloodied cotto. in 2 instances cotto voluntarily knelt to get a standing 8-count and get a reprieve from the punishment he was taking. what type of bombs was margo throwing that the proud cotto would rather give up 2 10-8 rounds rather than mix it up. i rooted for cotto in that fight and found the result rather fishy. we'll never know now but i believe that margo's fists were similarly plaster-padded in that fight.

pio_valenz
02-12-2009, 01:10 PM
^Yup, mismo. Like I said in an earlier post, the question now is how many times did they pull this stunt. I think all of his other KO wins should be scrutinized.

Emon74
02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I just wanna see match ups like Cotto-Mayweather, Cotto-Hatton, Pacquiao-Valero, sana magkaroon naman ng balls si Mayweather na kalabanin sila Cotto or Manny Pacman, di puro dada, and his estranged father, Floyd Sr. is the most arrogant trainer in Boxing today.

Kid Cubao
02-24-2009, 04:56 AM
malabo si floyd junior na basta-basta lang bumalik sa eksena dahil iniingatan nya ang kanyang unblemished fight record, and for some reason, miguel cotto is one fighter mayweather has been ducking for the longest time. tama ka, matagal nang hinihintay yung showdown nina mayweather at miguel cotto, pero mukhang hindi mangyayari. the only way to pry junior out of retirement is for pacquiao to beat ricky hatton and set up an inevitable showdown between the two greatest fighters of this century. at pag na-olats si mayweather, saka lamang yan maghahabol ng laban kay cotto ;D

bowtoBLUE
02-24-2009, 05:15 AM
natalo ni cotto si michael jennings (first fight since margarito) at gusto nya labanan either yung panalo sa pacquiao-hatton or shane mosley (rematch) pero most likely Joshua clottey or andre berto ang kalaban niya. there is also a possibility na si kermit cintron ang susunod na kalaban niya.

Out_Of_The_Blue
02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
televised ba ang Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz fight this Sunday?

yungha
02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
i hope it is, it'll be a brawl. in one of the increasingly weirder developments in boxing, this fight will be for the WBA and WBO lightweight titles that was left vacant after nate campbell couldn't make the weight in his title defense vs ali funeka. this despite marquez being ranked just #5 and diaz #6 by the WBA.

if this fight isn't televised, just wait a few days and the torrent will be available in any of the top torrents sites. maganda pa video quality because it's HBO PPV.

go diaz!

blueatheart
02-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Just in case the fight of JMM and Diaz is not shown in the Philippines, you can watch the livestream at: http://www.justin.tv/pacfanscorner access code is 143445254

Thanks to the owner of the site http://www.pacfans-corner.com/ for the livestream :)

blueatheart
03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Wow... John-Juarez was a draw. What a hometown decision. :o

Kid Cubao
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM
juan manuel marquez notched a career defining win over juan diaz via a TKO in the 9th round. i thought JMM was going down when diaz pummeled him in the early rounds, but you really must appreciate his ability to come back just when he appears to be ready to fold. great fight, the best so far this year.

bowtoBLUE
03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
i think a pacquiao-marquez 3 ought to be at least considered if not be manny's first option for his next fight

Kid Cubao
03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
well, his next fight after ricky hatton? depende kung ano ang magiging outcome on may 2nd. if pacquaio beats hatton, then the stars will align for a showdown with mayweather junior. however, if our pambansang kamao stumbles against the manchester brawler, two things just might happen:

1. JMM just might get his long-awaited rematch and annex his trilogy with manny, or
2. JMM will say forget manny for now and instead aim for ricky hatton or even roger junior.

either prospect is feasible in the event of a pacquiao loss. now about mayweather: even with marquez's career resurgence, it'll be next to impossible for him to coax mayweather out of retirement. the former pound-for-pound king will not stake his unbeaten career record for juan manuel marquez. right now, he's already a lock for the boxing hall of fame as among the very few fighters who have retired unbeaten; in fact, the only one i can name right now who retired unbeaten was THE rocky marciano. i believe the only boxer who will make him get out of bed at six in the morning to do roadwork is manny pacquaio.

yungha
03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
after KOing diaz, jmm proclaimed that he wants to fight the best fighter in the world, floyd mayweather jr. it's obviously a ploy to rankle manny's pride and provoke him into accepting a 3rd fight. floyd obviously won't give jmm the time of day much less come out of retirement to fight someone who isn't considered a box office draw. PBF isn't called money mayweather for nothing.

manny should accept a 3rd fight with jmm if only to shut him up. pac's obviously a better fighter when he's not worried about making weight. yes jmm scored KO wins over casamayor and juan diaz at 135 but prior to the KO's the scorecards were close; vs casa the judges were split while vs juan diaz the fight at the respective time of the stoppages. there were times when jmm was hurt in both fights. pac, on the other hand, was en route to clear shutout wins over david diaz and oscar prior to stopping them each in the 9th round. he was never hurt and the fights were never close. let them fight at 140 and pac will do the same with jmm.

my gut tells me though that if pac beats hatton he'll move up to the more lucrative welterweight class and challenge either wbc king andre berto or wbo king miguel cotto. and manny, i know you're brave but pls stay away from shane mosley.

john_paul_manahan
03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
there are interesting people at 140. namely holt and bradley.

however, they ain't exactly the ones that could bring in the bling.

blueatheart
03-14-2009, 04:08 PM
papalabas ba yung Barrera/Khan fight?

john_paul_manahan
03-15-2009, 07:36 AM
you can always trust online.

MonL
03-15-2009, 04:50 PM
You spar with the best.....

-------------------------------------------------

Khan beats bloodied Barrera in fifth round
By ROB HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
8 hours, 3 minutes ago

AP - Mar 14, 7:55 pm EDT 1 of 8 Boxing Gallery MANCHESTER, England (AP)—Amir Khan pounded Marco Antonio Barrera with speedy punches in the fifth round of Saturday’s lightweight bout, marking a turning point in his career six months after a major setback in the same arena.

The 22-year-old Brit won on a technical decision after a disciplined battering of the outclassed Mexican, who was covered in blood after sustaining a cut to his forehead in the first round.

Khan’s gamble to fight a seven-time world champion 13 years his senior paid off, with the 2004 Olympic silver medalist banishing memories of being humiliated by Breidis Prescott in 54 seconds last September in style in his 21st professional bout.

“This fight was make or break for me, but I felt so comfortable it seemed liked easy work catching him with the jabs,” Khan said. “I’m happy with the performance. I mustn’t have done much wrong in that fight.”

Khan has been transformed by training with Freddie Roach and sparring with pound-for-pound great Manny Pacquiao.

“The jabbing and patience—I felt so strong. You could see the difference,” Khan said. “I had to take some shots in that match. I made some mistakes in the past and I’m not going to make them again.”

Now Khan is set for a shot at a title by the end of the year, promoter Frank Warren said.

On the undercard at MEN Arena, Ola Afolabi claimed a cruiserweight title by knocking out Enzo Maccarinelli, while Roman Martinez knocked out Nicky Cook to win a super-featherweight belt.

Afolabi’s decisive right hook in the ninth round knocked out Maccarinelli (29-3), the Welshman who lost the WBO title to David Haye last March.

“I trained hard, was nice and fresh but I think my lack of sparring told,” Maccarinelli said. “Take nothing away from Afolabi, I took him too lightly and I got beat.”

Afolabi (14-1-3, 6 KOs), who was born in London of Nigerian parents but now lives near Los Angeles, won the belt Haye vacated when he moved up to heavyweight.

Earlier in the night, Martinez knocked out Cook in the fourth round to capture the WBO super-featherweight belt that Cook had held since September.

Cook was in control of his first defense until the Brit was floored by a left uppercut from Martinez (21-0-1, 13 KOs) in the fourth round.

Shortly after Cook got up from the canvas, the Puerto Rican mandatory challenger landed a powerful left hook. As Cook (29-2) struggled to get up again, referee Dave Parris called a halt.

yungha
03-16-2009, 12:25 PM
i downloaded the fight and it was one-sided. khan looked bigger and stronger, seemed much quicker, almost like a young eric morales. the brit commentators tried to mask their glee at the beating marco was getting; they're probably still bitter at how marco destroyed another brit boxing darling, prince naseem hamed, years ago. khan seems to be rebounding nicely from his shock 1st round KO to breidis prescott last year. in fact khan's career seems to be going better at this point than prescott's.

question is, is it the end of the line for the proud mexican legend MAB?

Kid Cubao
03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
yes, the writing's on the wall. the dropoff is just too dramatic for those who remembered marco antonio barrera as the heir to julio cesar chavez as the world's top featherweight. it's now a matter of barrera acknowledging that his time is already up. same boat as ODLH.

yungha
05-01-2009, 04:48 AM
i didn't get to see the fight but gerry peñalosa was pummeled by juanma lopez in a bid for the wbo superbantam title. juanma proved too big and too strong for the ageless warrior, arguably the best pinoy tactical boxer today. this probably ends gerry's quest to be the 2nd pinoy to win world titles in 3 different weight classes. all's not over for gerry though; he still holds the WBO bantam crown and can clean up the division. guys like montiel, hasegawa and agbeko don't have a prayer against gerry.

i remember watching fights with gerry in the main event and pac in the undercard fighting 1 or 2 weight classes lower. it's just amazing that now manny fights an astounding 5 weight divisions higher than gerry.

Emon74
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Manny should stay at 140, unless his opponent is floyd mayweather, pac could fight again at a welterweight limit, he shouldnt entertain talks of taking on Cotto or Mosley, di naman niya kailangan kalabanin pa mga yun, how I wish Bob Arum and Roach would mentioned Edwin Valero, its obvious iniiwas nila si Pacquiao kay Valero by offering JMM to fight the Venenzuelan KO artists.

Kid Cubao
05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
di naman sa iniiwas si pacquaio kay edwin valero dahil may laglag ang pambansang kamao; it's more like valero is too much of an unknown in the US boxing community and that he has to boost his credentials first before he gets the opportunity to fight manny. the reason is that valero has just recently been granted a US boxing license (which state or states, i'm no longer sure) after doctors said that his head fracture, which he suffered after a 2001 motorcycle accident, is already fully healed. matagal syang di nakipag-basagan ng mukha sa amerika--hanggang japan, mexico, at venezuela lang ang mga laban nya. at wala tayong kaalaman sa kakayahan ng mga nakalaban nya.

Schortsanitis
05-01-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't think Edwin Valero is in the same class as Manny Pacquiao. True, Valero has an ultra-impressive 25-0 win-loss record, and most of them were knockouts.

But then again, how many Boxing Hall of Famers has Valero beaten on the ring in actual competitions? None, so far.

On the other hand, how many Boxing Hall of Famers have Manny beaten? Let's see: Morales, Barrera, Dela Hoya .... And those are just the great ones. How about titlebelt holders, how many has Manny beaten? There's Larios, Diaz, etc.

For me, the true test for Valero would be Juan Manuel Marquez. If Valero beats Marquez, then I think a showdown between Pacquiao and Valero is in order. The same for JMM, though: If he beats Valero, a JMM-MP 3 should be in order.

A fight against JMM will either end the hype of Edwin Valero, or merit him a showdown with the Pacman.

elvis
05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Manny Pacquiao is included in TIME Magazine's 2009 list of the top 100 most influential people in the world. The list, which appears in this week's issue, groups Pacquiao in the category of "Heroes and Icons," where he joins notables including world no. 1 golfer Tiger Woods, Captain Sully (pilot of plane that ditched on the Hudson River in NY), US First Lady Michelle Obama, Alaska Gov. (and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate) Sarah Palin, actor George Clooney and world no. 2 tennis player Rafael Nadal.

Congratulations Manny!

Kid Cubao
05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
OT: if rafael nadal is the world's no. 2 tennis player, then who's the no. 1 player?

elvis
05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Oops...typo. World no. 1 na pala si Nadal.

yungha
05-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Manny should stay at 140, unless his opponent is floyd mayweather, pac could fight again at a welterweight limit, he shouldnt entertain talks of taking on Cotto or Mosley, di naman niya kailangan kalabanin pa mga yun, how I wish Bob Arum and Roach would mentioned Edwin Valero, its obvious iniiwas nila si Pacquiao kay Valero by offering JMM to fight the Venenzuelan KO artists.

iniiwas nila si manny kay valero because even in the cutthroat, dog-eat-dog business of boxing, some humanity still exists. if manny fights valero now, manny could literally kill him. yes valero has power but his technique is crude, his punches wide. when he unloads, he'll leave himself open for manny's left straight and uppercut. just check out his youtube videos to see how amateurish valero looks when he fights.

Schortsanitis
05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=A2KIPHFe7PtJgb4AZB2UxLYF?slug=ap-mayweatherreturns&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mayweather Jr. Plans to Return to Ring in July

By TIM DAHLBERG, AP Boxing Writer
6 hours, 24 minutes ago
Buzz up! 12 votes
Print

LAS VEGAS (AP)—Floyd Mayweather Jr. is back, ending his brief retirement from boxing.

The undefeated five-division champion plans to announce Saturday his return to the sport with a July fight against lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez, a person close to the fight confirmed Friday night. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the fight hadn’t been officially announced.

Mayweather last fought when he stopped Ricky Hatton in the 10th round of their December 2007 welterweight title fight. He was expected to fight Oscar De La Hoya in a rematch of the fight he narrowly won earlier that year, but last June said he would not fight again because he had lost his love for the sport.

The 32-year-old Mayweather has won all 39 of his fights, and would put himself in position for a potentially very lucrative fight against the winner of Saturday’s bout between Manny Pacquiao and Hatton.

De La Hoya, who helps run Golden Boy Promotions, said this week that his company had been talking to Mayweather about a possible return, and there were also reports that Don King was trying to sign the fighter. Golden Boy Promotions called a press conference for Saturday at the MGM Grand hotel for what it called a major announcement.

Mayweather’s estranged father, Floyd Sr., also said last week that his son was in the gym and training and that he expected him to fight again. HBO had been holding a pay-per-view date of July 18 in hopes of his return.

Mayweather’s return could lead to some profitable fights. Mayweather’s bout against De La Hoya in May 2007 was the richest fight ever, drawing a record 2.15 million buys.

Since stopping Hatton 17 months ago, Mayweather appeared on WWE’s Wrestlemania but has been largely absent from the sport he began learning even before he began to walk.

Mayweather, who made more than $50 million in the ring during an 18-month stretch that ended with the Hatton fight, became a celebrity of sorts outside the sport when he also appeared on “Dancing With The Stars.”

But when he quit last June he said it was for good, saying it had become “extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport.”

yungha
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Golden Girl Boy Promotions again tried to upstage manny by declaring pretty boy floyd's return to boxing on the very same day of pac's fight vs hatton. they announced he'll be fighting jmm in july and even had the audacity to name the fight number one vs numero uno.

pac must've been mighty pissed with Golden Boy for the cheap shot as he destroyed their boy hatton in 2 brutal rounds. i haven't seen manny this aggressive in the opening rounds in a long time; he was really gunning for a spectacular early KO. manny needed a total of 10 rounds to dispose of both odlh and hatton as compared to floyd who needed 22, and he even needed a split decision to win over oscar.

let's see how interesting the PBF-JMM fight will be, how many PPV buys it will generate. a fight between someone who's afraid of manny and another who's been KD'd 4 times by manny yet still follows manny around like a dog. floyd claims to be the greatest fighter of this generation yet here he is again cherry-picking his opponents. he evaded cotto, margarito and mosley in the past and here he is again evading pac. he's chosen to fight the smaller jmm who's fought heaviest at 135 rather than pac who's proven he can fight as high as 147. true jmm's the #2 p4p but he's much smaller than floyd and this should be a relatively safe fight for PBF. i'll watch this fight because it'll be a chess match but in terms of commercial value, most fans see it as a jab fest between 2 boring fighters.

Schortsanitis
05-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I think Manny now deserves a new nickname:

Manny "The Retirer" Pacquiao LOL

I wonder if Miguel Cotto is now ready for retirement. Perhaps he should star contemplating that now.

oca
05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
JMM kontra PFM.

No boxing expert, but I go for JMM winning this one. Has good defense. MP can't put him to sleep, I doubt if PBM can do it. More importantly, JMM is the kind of fighter who is strong in the latter rounds.

If PBM wins this, that will be a boring fight. Susundot si PBM, pupuntos, takbo, takbo, takbo, puntos, takbo, takbo, takbo.

yungha
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
as posted by MonL in another thread:

Another hit on the Hitman: He was swept out of the Pound-for-Pound Top 10 ratings where he used to be #8. Miguel Cotto returned at #7 and Nonito Donaire joined the list at #8.

Pacman, on the other hand, maintained his #1 position, and has been on the P4P Top 10 list for a record 283 weeks (or 5 1/2 years), which began with his destruction of Marco Antonio Barrera.

Ring Magazine P4P Rankings:

1. Manny Pacquiao (philippines)
2. juan manuel marquez (mexico)
3. bernard hopkins (usa)
4. shane mosley (usa)
5. israel vasquez (mexico)
6. rafael marquez (mexico)
7. miguel cotto (puerto rico)
8. nonito donaire (philippines)
9. vic darchinyan (armenia)
10. celestino caballero (panama)

Kid Cubao
05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
finally a cure for insomnia has been created. it's called the tarver-dawson rematch, wherein chad dawson coasted to a win against 40-year old antonio tarver to defend his IBF light heavyweight title. what a snoozefest.

yungha
05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
mexican legend erik morales, one of the most beloved mexican fighters of all time, he certainly he earned my respect during the hard-fought trilogy with pac, is reportedly set to return to the ring after a 2-year layoff. negotiations are supposedly underway for him to fight in the floyd-jmm undercard.

after all he's only just 32 and he continues to chase his dream of being the 1st mexican 4-division champ. it's not clear yet what division he'll campaign but after seeing this recent pic i'll say ah...uhmm...cruiserweight?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/lbcya99/dsc_1770.jpg

Kid Cubao
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
mukhang nag-enjoy sa retirement si don enrique ;D mag-artista na lang sya hehe

pio_valenz
05-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Now that's something you don't see everyday: Morales and Barrera together outside the ring. Don't these two guys hate each other's guts?

yungha
05-14-2009, 12:07 AM
^ yes these 2 genuinely hated each other. morales actually threw a punch at barrra (or was it the other way around) during one of their pre-fights presscons. you could tell it wasn't staged because you could hear the raw pak! as the punch connected to the jaw. their trilogy was 36 minutes of pure brutality. i don't know if they're just acting for the cameras but here's another nice pic -

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/lbcya99/DSC_0965.jpg

Loyolalista
05-18-2009, 12:25 PM
It was Barrera who sucker-punched Morales. He also called him an ignorant Indian, which is probably one of the worst insults you can call somebody from Tijuana.

pio_valenz
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
When Morales fought Pacquiao for the first time, Barrera offered his support for his countryman, probably thinking that national pride would eclipse their personal feud. But Morales rebuffed him and told him flatly that he didn't need Barrera's support.

finally a cure for insomnia has been created. it's called the tarver-dawson rematch, wherein chad dawson coasted to a win against 40-year old antonio tarver to defend his IBF light heavyweight title. what a snoozefest.

Cubao, may tatalo diyan. Just two weekends ago, a 46-year-old Hector "No Longer Macho" Camacho fought his way to a dull points defeat. I forgot who his opponent was, but he was quoted as saying that Camacho held and hugged him more times than his own wife. :D

yungha
06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
anyone else notice that the people involved in the upcoming mayweather-marquez fight can't seem to stop talking about manny pacquiao? from floyd to jmm to leonard ellerbe of mayweather promotions to dela hoya and schaeffer of golden girl promotions, it's manny pacquiao this, manny pacquiao that. they're supposed to be promoting an upcoming superfight between, according to them, the 2 best fighters in the world. Number One vs Numero Uno nga, di ba? yet here they are in presscons, talk shows, public training sessions, photo ops, talking about someone who's not even involved in the fight. it's as if talking about manny will help give this fight relevance. and here's floyd saying that manny's afraid to face him in the ring. geez where's he been hiding? manny's been calling him out even prior to fighting ricky hatton.

to be fair to those guys, though, even if they try to talk about their fight the reporters keep asking questions like what do you think of pacquiao's win over hatton? would you like to fight pacquiao after marquez? are you willing to go down in weight to fight pacquiao? when will you fight pacquiao? what do you think of pacquiao?

manny's name is coming up so many times they should pay him a percentage of the ppv sales.

mighty_lion
06-11-2009, 08:03 AM
My Junior will beat Pacquiao – Floyd Sr.
By NICK GIONGCO
June 9, 2009, 8:54pm
Proven wrong the last two fights, Floyd Mayweather Sr. now says Manny Pacquiao’s streak will end if and when he faces his son, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Told about Pacquiao’s smashing second-round knockout of Ricky Hatton, Mayweather Sr. told the website fight-hype that the Filipino pound-for-pound king “ain’t no unbeatable fighter.”

“Li’l Floyd going to stop him. Watch what I tell you,” Mayweather said.

Reminded that he had said the same thing before Hatton rumbled with Pacquiao last May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Mayweather stressed that Pacquiao will be in for a shock against his son, who has proven many times in the past that he can not only be fast, but furious as well.

“We ain’t dealing with no Ricky Hatton. This is the real deal,“ said Mayweather Sr.

“This a different monster here. Ricky had the knowledge, but he wasn’t the athlete to pull out the strategy. This is an entirely different monster.”

Typical Mayweather Sr. ;D ;D ;D

I say bring it on! Pacquiao in 5 by TKO.

coreytaylor
06-12-2009, 06:48 PM
^^^ ngsalita na naman si tatang? aba aba aba ;D

Anyway, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum said that the Pacquiao – Floyd Jr. fight is not going to happen this year rather it will be in 2010. They are eyeing Cotto or Mosley as Manny's next opponent.

bluebruiser90
06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Huwag na lang labanan ni Pacquiao yang si Morales at Mayweather. He doesn't need to prove anything and he can earn big bucks whoever he fights. He is the main draw in all of boxing. Pabayaan na niy yang dfalawang gunggon na yan. Saan kaya magahhanap ng mega buck fight si Pretty Boy para bayaran ang madami niyang utang kay Uncle Sam? Si Marquez? Labanan na lang yan ni Pacquiao pag 90-10 ang split. Sinabi naman niya dati na kahit magkano lalaban siya kay Pacquiao.

yungha
06-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Huwag na lang labanan ni Pacquiao yang si Morales at Mayweather...

you mean marquez?

i agree though. pac may fight the pbf-jmm winner sometime in the future but that's not the best available fight at this point. styles make fights and i think the best fit right now is cotto. arum and roach know well enough that more often than not manny wins if the opponent is willing to trade. cotto fights head on much like david diaz and hatton and is much slower than pac. cotto's record is 33(27)-1 so he has power but if he can't find the target that negates his power. at 5'7 he's also just a half-inch taller than manny and both have 67" reach.so i'm guessing manny's next opponent will be cotto assuming the puerto rican beats clottey this weekend.

so manny beats cotto and arranges for a subsequent fight of the decade vs PBF with his place in history already secured being the only boxer to win titles in 7 weight divisions.

yungha
06-13-2009, 03:03 PM
here's a prediction - if mayol and sonsona beat calderon and carita lopez, respectively, there'll be a clamor from the puerto ricans to pit their superstar (Cotto) against our superstar (Pac) for nationalistic payback. thus the negotiations for pac's next opponent to be cotto will be expedited.

yungha
06-14-2009, 03:53 PM
clottey lost a split decision to cotto in their wbo welterweight title clash earlier today. clottey seemed in control then inexplicably threw lesser punches rounds 9-11 which allowed cotto back into the fight. therein lies the difference - good fighters try to do just enough to win, great fighters always look to dominate.

from Bob Arum after the fight:

“We’re going to have to talk to the Cotto people. He has a lot of options. I would like for him to fight Manny Pacquiao. That would be a tremendous fight and I hope we can get it done for November. This was a great fight, and under ordinary circumstances Clottey deserves a rematch. But we have economics. It’s just not going to happen next.” (Regarding where Floyd Mayweather fits in the mix) “Floyd has a fight coming up with Marquez. Then he’ll probably want to fight Calderon. Floyd just doesn’t fight big guys. Let’s be honest, he doesn’t fight big guys.”

June 14th, 2009

Bennie Bangag
06-15-2009, 08:19 AM
latest news say fraud gayweather jr. injured his rib in training, and that his upcoming bout with juan manuel marquez has been postponed to a later date to be announced. mukhang masyadong kinalawang ang loko, kaya palabo na nang palabo ang matchup nila ni pacquaio. may laglag 'to kay JMM, kutob ko lang.

pablohoney
06-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I felt Mayol could've/should've won the fight against Calderon.
The latter just didnt want to fight after sustaining a cut due to accidental headbutt in the 4th.

yungha
06-15-2009, 09:41 AM
latest news say fraud gayweather jr. injured his rib in training, and that his upcoming bout with juan manuel marquez has been postponed to a later date to be announced. mukhang masyadong kinalawang ang loko, kaya palabo na nang palabo ang matchup nila ni pacquaio. may laglag 'to kay JMM, kutob ko lang.

his injury was caused by low ticket sales. there have been rumors for weeks that early ticket and ppv sales have been so low that organizers might have to postpone or cancel the fight. rumor was they were willing to postpone it as much as 2 months to coincide with mexican independence day on september 16. didn't post it because it was just that, rumors.

remember that they announced the fight on may 2 so they've been selling tickets for over a month. contrast this with the pac-dela hoya and pac-hatton fights which were sold out within hours.

MonL
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Manny P made the top 20 list of highest paid athletes, tied for #6 at $40Millon, and the highest-placing boxer on the list.
Tiger Woods topped the list again, and Fraud Mayweather dropped out due to inactivity.

The cutoff is $30M, and income is described as that coming from all sources and at gross amount.

Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-forbestopearners061809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

oca
06-19-2009, 11:39 AM

his injury was caused by low ticket sales. there have been rumors for weeks that early ticket and ppv sales have been so low that organizers might have to postpone or cancel the fight. rumor was they were willing to postpone it as much as 2 months to coincide with mexican independence day on september 16. didn't post it because it was just that, rumors.

remember that they announced the fight on may 2 so they've been selling tickets for over a month. contrast this with the pac-dela hoya and pac-hatton fights which were sold out within hours.

JMM was known to be a poor sell at PPV among Mexican aficionados. They just don't like his counter punching style. Then, eto naman si Mayweather, kilalang magaling na dancer at siklista sa ibabaw ng ring.

Kaya pag pinaglaban yang dalawang iyan, anong counterpunch ang ibibigay ni Marquez kung itong madadal na egoy ay pulos sayaw at padyak ang gagawin? Susuntok yan si Floyd, pero sa bawat isang bitaw, dalawang hakbang ang kasunod - isang back step then isang side step.

Kahit ako bigyan ng pambayad sa PPV nila, ibubulsa ko na lang....

theunderdog
07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
if yall have time, please visit asianboxingnews.com and check out my articles. thanks

yungha
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
in SI's list of the top 20 earning non-american athletes, pac's at #4 and is the only prizefighter. amazing achievement. he's even out-earned some of the highest paid NBA superstars.

i was looking for juan manuel marquez then i realized the list doesn't go up to the 1000s.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2009/index.20.html

clutchjedi
07-03-2009, 11:38 AM
^ was about to add, he's the highest-ranked asian on the combined list (ahead of yao ming and ichiro) ... but then also realized tiger woods does have some thai ancestry :)

speaking about pacquiao and nba players - i just came across chris tiu's blog where he recounts being pacquaio's guest in his VIP suite at last year's lakers-celtics christmas day game. must be even more fun to watch when you're earning more than the players below :D

http://chris-tiu.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-day-with-pacman.html

yungha
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
get a load of this pic. seven boxing legends from 7 great boxing nations in one pic.

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/elorde_and_others.jpg

from left - Nino Benvenuti of Italy, Alexis Arguello of Nicaragua, Roberto "Manos de Piedra" Duran of Panama, Carlos Zarate of Mexico, Fighting Harada of Japan, Eder Jofre of Brazil and our very own Gabriel "Flash" Elorde Jr

Bennie Bangag
07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
rest in peace, + alexis arguello +

tigerman
07-15-2009, 11:29 PM
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/afp/20090715/tsp-box-usa-mex-welter-mayweather-marque-1d87250.html

Mayweather says money dispute foils Pacquiao fight hopes

LAS VEGAS (AFP) - – Unbeaten US star Floyd Mayweather Jnr declared himself fit to fight after a rib injury delayed his comeback but says money demands have foiled a possible showdown with Manny Pacquiao.

Mayweather dismissed Pacquiao's claim to the world pound-for-pound throne Mayweather vacated by retiring in December of 2007, saying, "It's like a T-Bone steak. After I eat all the meat off the steak, they throw him the bone."

Mayweather, 39-0 with 25 knockouts, will fight Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez, 50-4 with one draw and 37 knockouts, on September 19 after this Saturday's planned date was scrapped over an injury whose origin Mayweather kept secret.

"It didn't come from sparring," Mayweather said Tuesday. "Freak accidents happen in training. It was just a freak accident.

"I tried to work through it but then it happened again and I'm like, 'I can't be a superhero. Take a little time off.' I healed. Now I'm ready to rock and roll. I can't wait to get back out there."

Mayweather will fight for the first time in 21 months, since a 10th-round stoppage of England's Ricky Hatton, who was flattened in the second round last May by Filipino star Pacquiao.

Interest is great for a Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown but Mayweather said the bout is unlikely because Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum seeks a 50-50 split of profits rather than a 60-40 break in Mayweather's favor.

"He wants a 50-50 split. That's never going to happen. If Bob Arum wasn't trying to be so greedy, that fight would happen," Mayweather said. "It still is a business even if it is a sport."

Mayweather's past two fights, with Hatton and Oscar de la Hoya, enticed 3.5 million US pay-per-view purchases, said Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer, while Pacquiao "did a little bit more than half of that" against the same foes.

"It's difficult for Floyd to say it should be 50-50 because it really shouldn't be 50-50," Schaefer said. "Both fighters have a certain market value and they should get compensated accordingly."

While Mayweather said he has no grudge against Pacquiao, he neither has any great desire to fight him if the price is not right.

"Pacquiao is a good fighter. I don't take nothing from him," Mayweather said. "He hasn't done nothing I haven't done. Where was he when I was dominating in the '90s? He hasn't called me out. I'm not hard to find.

"I ain't worried about him. With or without him, I'm comfortable. I'm happy. He don't make me (nothing). I don't chase opponents. Opponents chase me. The biggest fight in boxing is Mayweather versus anybody."

Mayweather and Arum had a bitter breakup and Mayweather said Pacquiao loses 27 percent of his paydays.

"Manny Pacquiao has the worst contract in boxing with Bob Arum right now - 27 percent," Mayweather said. "I keep 100 percent of my money. Are you serious - 27 percent? Arum tells Manny Pacquiao the same bull he used to tell me."

Marquez rallied from being sent to the canvas three times in the first round to draw Pacquiao in 2004 and lost a controversial split decision to him in 2008 but Mayweather rates Marquez a better rival than Pacquiao.

"I would have to rate him oevr Manny. For a guy to knock him down three times in the first round and he comes back to get a draw, we know who lost," said Mayweather, who has recently healed strained relations with father Floyd Snr.

Fight co-promoter De la Hoya, who lost to Pacquiao last December, said that Mayweather deserves the pound-for-pound crown, not Pacquaio.

"I'd have to go with Floyd. I felt more skill coming out of Mayweather than I did with Pacquiao," de la Hoya said. "The winner between Mayweather and Marquez is the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet."

Marquez dismissed Pacquiao as well, saying, "Mayweather is the best. He retired undefeated. When I fought Manny I thought I beat him both times."

De la Hoya tossed another dig at "Pac-Man", saying, "The fans are the ones who speak and we all know Marquez beat Pacquiao."

I can't wait for Manny to shut the hell out of Gayweather and Dela Hype.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

yungha
04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
holy shit!

Edwin Valero Arrested For Murder

Edwin Valero was arrested Sunday on suspicion of murdering his wife in his home nation of Venezuela, according to eluniversal.com. The body of Jennifer Viera de Valero, 24, was found in a hotel room in Valencia early Sunday morning. Valero and his wife arrived at the hotel on Saturday night April 17th at approximately 11:00 pm. They requested a room for the night. At 5:30 am, the boxer went down to the lobby area and, according to El Universal, allegedly confessed to the crime to security personnel. The wife had reportedly been stabbed several times. Immediately, the crime was reported to members of the Carabobo Police who showed up at the hotel. Valero was arrested moments later and transferred to the General Command of Police of Carabobo.

lurkinggood
04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
RIP Mrs. Valero.

Edwin Valero should rot in jail for a lifetime. What he did to his wife is unforgiveable.

Sayang yung boxing track record nya. This murder case would really bring his boxing career down the drain.

pio_valenz
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Kawawa naman ang asawa niya. I hope justice is served.

lurkinggood
04-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow. This is really tragic. RIP Edwin Valero....

Police: Valero committed suicide in cell

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Former boxing champ Edwin Valero committed suicide in his jail cell on Monday just hours after he was arrested in his wife's killing, police said.

The former lightweight champion used his own clothes to hang himself in his cell early Monday, Venezuelan Federal Police Chief Wilmer Flores told reporters. He said Valero tied his clothes to a cell bar to hang himself.

He said Valero was found by another inmate, who alerted authorities in the police lockup in north-central Carabobo state. Valero still showed signs of life, but they were unable to save him, Flores said.

The 28-year-old was detained Sunday on suspicion of killing his wife, the gravest in a string of problems that had threatened to derail his career. Prosecutors said Sunday night that they had planned to charge Valero in the killing.

yungha
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
wow. talk about going out in a blaze, that's edwin valero for you. if his demons were to big to overcome, i only wish he spared his young wife. now we can only pray that they're both at peace.

somehow, i didn't really see valero hanging around for the trial, in handcuffs, spending the rest of his life in prison. in human terms, what a great tragedy.

in boxing terms, edwin valero ends his career an undefeated 2-division world champ who KOd each and every one of his 27 opponents.

what a waste.

fujima04
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
It was indeed a tragedy.

Edwin Valero Commits Suicide in His Jail Cell (http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=27038)

Schortsanitis
04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Very shocking news, indeed. One wonders if Valero's accident, and his subsequent battering in the ring has something to do with his attittude, and what eventually happened to him.

Kid Cubao
04-20-2010, 03:33 PM
it's hard for me to sympathize with edwin valero and his dramatic tailspin. he brought all this terrible misery to himself, most especially when it was widely reported he prematurely checked out of alcohol and anger rehab. what i'm very sad about is the stabbing death of his young wife, allegedly committed by valero himself, and the fate of their two kids, who are now orphaned as a result of this tragedy. rest in peace to the late jennifer viera. to edwin valero, well, bahala na si Lord sa yo.

Kid Cubao
05-11-2010, 02:15 PM
last weekend, one of the strangest, most unexpected endings of a boxing match happened between light-middleweight hotshots paul williams of atlanta, georgia and kermit cintron of puerto rico. in the fourth round, paul williams slipped to the canvas, which coincided with cintron lunging with a wild left. cintron missed wide, and then his feet got tripped with the long legs of williams, who was still down. because of that tripping, the puerto rican fighter fell headlong through the ropes and out of the ring, and crashed into a row of TV and computer monitors. he hit his head against one of the monitors and got knocked out in the process. a ring physician declared him unfit to fight on, so the ref was forced to resort to the judges' scorecards as per california state athletic commission rules. with williams ahead on all three scorecards, he was declared winner.

MonL
05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
last weekend, one of the strangest, most unexpected endings of a boxing match happened between light-middleweight hotshots paul williams of atlanta, georgia and kermit cintron of puerto rico. in the fourth round, paul williams slipped to the canvas, which coincided with cintron lunging with a wild left. cintron missed wide, and then his feet got tripped with the long legs of williams, who was still down. because of that tripping, the puerto rican fighter fell headlong through the ropes and out of the ring, and crashed into a row of TV and computer monitors. he hit his head against one of the monitors and got knocked out in the process. a ring physician declared him unfit to fight on, so the ref was forced to resort to the judges' scorecards as per california state athletic commission rules. with williams ahead on all three scorecards, he was declared winner.

Reminds me of that Mustafa "The Syrian Buzzsaw" Hamsho vs. Wilford Scypion middleweight fight in the late 70s, where Hamsho sent Scypion out of the ring with a shove. IIRC, Scypion couldn't get up the ring in time and got counted out.

Hamsho was a middleweight prospect who caught the fancy of fight fans then by his tough, brawling style and also by his life story. He was a deckhand who jumped ship in America and worked on a variety of odd jobs, even as a baker at one time. He also fought some of the best middleweights at the time like Scypion, former champ Alan Minter and the dominant middleweight of that era, Marvin Hagler(twice).

Kid Cubao
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
yup, that's what happened. what's even funnier is how some ringside fans helped him get on the canvas by pushing him up and back, pero binilangan at di pa rin umabot. a hail of boos and shouting from the crowd erupted when the ring announcer read the decision.

Jaco D
05-11-2010, 09:08 PM

This is one clip I'd like to see.

Kid Cubao
05-17-2010, 06:17 AM
that'll shut up his trap for now. mealy-mouthed paulie malignaggi lost via an 11th round TKO against brit amir khan, who was making his US debut, at the madison square garden last saturday, may 15th to retain his WBA lightwelterweight belt. malignaggi was clearly outclassed at the onset as khan dictated the fight with his clean shots, quick 3-punch combinations, and exceptional reach. nothing seemed to work for malignaggi, and i felt he was already grasping at straws when he tried to escape khan's long range by fighting even further back. problem is, hindi na sya makatama kasi ang layo na nya. ogags talaga ;D

many observers, including myself, agreed that the fight should have been halted by the 9th round because the fighter from coney island was clearly out of it as he was on hs back foot very much like miguel cotto against pacquiao. talagang dinadaan na lang sa bravado ng loko when he refused suggestions to quit from the ref and the ring physician. the end came in the 11th when he was cornered on the ropes and khan unleashed a powerful set of brain-rattling punches, prompting the ref to end the mauling.

with this win, i think amir khan, who by the way ran into all sorts of trouble from the US homeland security department that delayed the processing of his US work visa for this fight, is in prime position to challenge the other lightwelterweight title holders in timothy bradley and devon alexander to unify the division. a common thread among all three is manny pacquiao--they all, at one time or another, were sparring partners of the pambansang kamao.

yungha
05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
when manny sued floyd for defamation, paulie went to the press, saying he wondered why manny didn't sue him as well, given that he also directly accused manny of taking steroids. manny didn't even bother to answer, i think it was koncz who answered for him, saying something like "that's because he's irrelevant" or something like that. if the manny-paulie fight had pushed thru and at 147 no less, paulie would've suffered serious damage.

paulie's skilled no doubt but real feather fisted. you can take a hundred punches from him and there'll hardly be a welt on your face. pang amateur boxing ang style niya.

theunderdog
05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
mga sir, pag po may time kayo pabisita naman ng boxing blog ko. maraming salamat po.

http://underdogboxing.wordpress.com/

;D

fujima04
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Miguel Cotto TKOs Yuri Foreman, Honors Father, Answers Critics (http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/06/06/miguel-cotto-tkos-yuri-foreman-honors-father-answers-critics/)

Miguel Cotto Stops Yuri Foreman In A Strange, Eventful Fight; Vanes Martirosyan Decisions Joe Greene In An Uneventful One (http://queensberry-rules.com/2010-articles/june/miguel-cotto-stops-yuri-foreman-in-a-strange-eventful-fight-vanes-martirosyan-decisions-joe-greene-in-an-uneventful-one.html)

yungha
06-07-2010, 12:48 AM
^ magaling naman talaga si cotto. it's just that there's like an 2 classes of elite fighters, with pac and floyd classified as super-elite, interchangeable at p4p #1 and so far above the rest of the regular elites like hopkins, shane, pavlik, paul williams, jmm, sergio martinez, tim bradley, chad dawson, and now cotto again, in other words the other guys who flit in and out of the p4p top 10.

so of course cotto would KO a much younger and inexperienced, feather-fisted (only 8 career KOs), and not as skilled yuri foreman. good for him that he was given this chance to win belt in a 3rd weight division.

in a rematch vs pac, though, did you see anything to indicate an outcome any different from the first fight? instead of belt #7 it's gonna be belt #8 for pac but other than that, ganun din ang mangyayari, maybe even a more brutal ending for miguel.

lurkinggood
06-07-2010, 11:19 AM
What is this???? Gay Floyd is taking a year or two off from professional boxing. Nakanampots, umakyat yung beklog sa throat sa takot ke Manny. ;D

Emon74
10-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Im beginning to lose interest sa boxing scene, haven't anyone notice wala na magagandang match ups, im not even excited about Pacquiao-Margarito, only Pacquiao vs Mayweather could save the boxing world.

yungha
10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Im beginning to lose interest sa boxing scene, haven't anyone notice wala na magagandang match ups, im not even excited about Pacquiao-Margarito, only Pacquiao vs Mayweather could save the boxing world.

are you kidding me? in the last 2 months of this year alone we have juanma lopez vs rafael marquez, sergio martinez-paul williams, amir khan-marcus maidana, any one of which could be fight of the year. and then there's this matchup made in fistic heaven, classic brawler vs counter puncher - micheal katsidis vs juan manuel marquez. now that should be a rumble.

next year we should see yuriorkis gamboa take on the winner of juanma lopez-rafa marquez to determine the biggest baddest featherweight in the sport. the light welters have a wealth of talent in bradley, khan, maidana and alexander.

it's easy to lose interest if you're a fan of a boxer. but if you're a fan of boxing, of the sweet science, there's always a good scrap to look forward to.

Kid Cubao
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM
^^ 100 percent agree. boxing does not begin and end with manny pacquiao, despite the noisy claims of pactards in cyberspace. he is our own and he's in prime position to be part of boxing's mt rushmore of all-time greats, but we should not be limited to following pacquiao alone. there are plenty of action-packed fights out there.

Emon74
10-31-2010, 10:18 AM

are you kidding me? in the last 2 months of this year alone we have juanma lopez vs rafael marquez, sergio martinez-paul williams, amir khan-marcus maidana, any one of which could be fight of the year. and then there's this matchup made in fistic heaven, classic brawler vs counter puncher - micheal katsidis vs juan manuel marquez. now that should be a rumble.

next year we should see yuriorkis gamboa take on the winner of juanma lopez-rafa marquez to determine the biggest baddest featherweight in the sport. the light welters have a wealth of talent in bradley, khan, maidana and alexander.

it's easy to lose interest if you're a fan of a boxer. but if you're a fan of boxing, of the sweet science, there's always a good scrap to look forward to.

But you only have to look at the state of the HW division, I browse the boxing sched for the rest of the year and I find a match between Wlad Klitschko against someone named Chisora, does those fights along with Vitali-Shannon Briggs brings interests to boxing, kailan ba laban ni Abraham and Froch, I think it was cancelled, other than Pacman, the showtime super six are the only ones that interest me at this moment.

All year long, marami up and coming boxers, Bradley vs Alexander would be exciting to watch but it still pales in comparison to the 2007 clash between Mayweather and Ricky Hatton, I dont know if Khan can equal the popularity of the hitman.

yungha
11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
^ talagang mawawalan ka ng gana if you're looking for excitement in HW division. call it imperialist or even racist, but what would really wake the HW division up is a strong, talented and charismatic american heavyweight. sadly, though, there are no prospects in the horizon. i think it was kid cubao who said it before, all the big young american athletes who would have been good HW prospects are in the NBA or NFL. with the millions you can earn with just a single NBA or NFL contract, boxing is just not that attractive anymore.

speaking of attractive, say what you want about the boring klitschkos, but wladimir's got hayden panettiere all locked up.

Kid Cubao
11-21-2010, 07:07 PM
sergio martinez pulled off a stunning defense of his middleweight title by smacking paul williams with a haymaker left counter in the second round, and in the process got my vote for knockout of the year. the blow was so devastating that the tall southpaw from atlanta, georgia fell face first and laid on the canvas for at least five minutes before he was assisted to his feet by the ring doctor and medics. this ended tall paul's hopes for the manny sweepstakes, while the other southpaw from argentina suddenly upped his standings and lined himself for a shot at either manny pacquiao or floyd mayweather. hundred bucks that floydie doodie will duck him as well.

yungha
11-25-2010, 07:49 PM
^yup what a punch. just goes to prove that a well-placed, strategic strike will put even the most granite-jawed fighter down. paul williams was previously thought to be indestructible but there he was falling face first very early in the fight.

this sunday is the fight i'm really waiting for - juan manuel marquez vs michael katsidis, a true clash of styles. jmm should assert his class over the brawler katsidis but it should be an entertaining brawl. fight will be televised starting 1pm.

Kid Cubao
11-29-2010, 05:20 AM
what a great boxing weekend for us fans. even the undercards were a treat for the main event, juan manuel marquez vs michael katsidis. the first supporting bout saw jason litzau hammer a split decision over celestino caballero of panama, in a junior lightweight fight that looked more like a schoolyard brawl in the number of sneaky punches and illegal blows by both fighters. magaling sana si caballero pero naubusan ng hangin sa later rounds.

the main undercard was a stunning display of punching power when WBC welterweight champ andre berto defended his title by knocking out no-name freddy hernandez with a vicious overhand right in the 2nd round. when asked about fighting shane mosley and miguel cotto in preparation for pacquiao, berto said to the effect that he's done with the appetizers and that it's time to bring on the main course. i like this guy ;D

the main event will most certainly be on the top three fights of 2010. juan manuel marquez overcame a 3rd round knockdown to stop michael katsidis in the 9th when he unleashed a torrent of unanswered power punches, almost all of which hit their targets, and forcing referee kenny bayliss to put an end. el dinamita is simply the best at counterpunching even at close range. katsidis tried to make it interesting by smothering JMM at close range, but to no effect because marquez kept tagging him with head strikes.

this time, i believe JMM deserves a rematch with manny, on condition that he falls in line behind mayweather, martinez, and even berto.

bchoter
11-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Boxing is dead? NOW WAY! This is probably the most exciting stretch of boxing in a long long time. We've been treated with stellar fights for weeks now. From the Lightweight up to the Middleweight you'll find marque match ups.

Kid, I did not have the luxury to watch the games on TV but, thanks to youtube...

Kid Cubao
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
amir khan vs marcos maidana. a boxing match that recalled the polish and savagery of the classic fights between sugar ray robinson and jake la motta. whoa.

yungha
12-13-2010, 12:17 AM
^ everyone KNEW that khan's chin was suspect. everyone KNEW that maidana had one-punch knockout power. and the people could sense that khan was fading. that's what made the final 3 or 4 rounds so compelling.

Emon74
01-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Mayorga and Mosley gets undeserving title shots, isang tune-up fight ni Mayorga against an unknown boxer and presto! a title opportunity against Cotto, and this wild man had a gal to say he'l fight Pacquiao afterwards.

And Holyfield and Hopkins are grandfathers who still doesnt want to quit.

yungha
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
zab judah is back on the world stage, winning the ibf welterweight title with a KO of kaizer mabuza. zab won his first world title a decade and was one of boxing's rising stars, even more heralded then than floyd. he was lightning quick southpaw with his lead-off right then the followup killer left cross. his defense was suspect but then as long as he could land, who cared? he clearly KOd floyd early in their fight but the ref didn't call it, and zab would go on to lose by wide decision, putting questions on his mental toughness. he was dominating kostya tszyu till he got cocky and got caught with a hard right that sent him down in the 2nd round. then he disappeared from boxing, getting involved in street brawls, gang wars and getting arrested for non-payment of child support.

clearly, zab's a colorful character that boxing needs more of. plus, when his head is on straight, he's a hell of a fighter. obviously we can expect him to call out manny pacquiao any day now but that's asking for too much at this point. give zab another fight or 2 vs the likes of bradley or khan or jmm then maybe a fight vs manny will be competitive.

Kid Cubao
03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
another great weekend for boxing fans.

after months of an incident-filled, antagonistic promotion, miguel cotto and ricardo mayorga delivered an equally entertaining fight, ending with a TKO victory for Cotto at 0:53 in the twelfth round. cotto summed it up perfectly: “the whole fight was great but the finish was amazing.” In a fight that both camps predicted would end in less than four rounds, the two fighters gave fans more than their money’s worth by pushing the action-packed fight into the twelfth round. the TKO win was miguel cotto's first successful defense of his WBa superwelterweight title that he won from yuri foreman.

speaking of yuri foreman, the aspiring rabbi took a beating at the hands of poland's pawel wolak and lost for the second straight time. wolak hammered foreman in the first six rounds before the latter's corner stopped the fight, which was on the cotto-mayorga undercard.

meanwhile, pound-for-pound beast sergio martinez continues to be the world's best middleweight after knocking out sergey dzinziruk (i hope i got his name right) in the 8th round. before this fight, sergiy had never tasted the canvas. during the fight, though, the man from argentina was able to knock him down five times in eight rounds, although dzinziruk was able to stagger martinez with a stiff left in the 3rd. with this win, sergio tightened his grip in the P4P totem along with manny, floyd junior, and nonito junior.

john_paul_manahan
03-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KO) remained the top middleweight fighter in the world after knocking out Sergiy "Razor" Dzinziruk.

meanwhile, pound-for-pound beast sergio martinez continues to be the world's best middleweight after knocking out sergey dzinziruk (i hope i got his name right)

Yup. You got it right. :)

MonL
03-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KO) remained the top middleweight fighter in the world after knocking out Sergiy "Razor" Dzinziruk.

meanwhile, pound-for-pound beast sergio martinez continues to be the world's best middleweight after knocking out sergey dzinziruk (i hope i got his name right)

Yup. You got it right. :)

He should be nicknamed "Dizzy" after that KO loss. :P

yungha
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
emmanuel stewart once said mayorga is the most willing target in boxing, but he was actually doing well until he turned it into a circus in the 3rd round, dropping his hands, retreating into a corner and daring cotto to trade. he was also just a few points behind and coming back strong in the 9th round when again he started with his macho shenanigans. at least he played the role of foil perfectly.

unfortunately, i think mayorga's done on the elite stage. his poor defense, awkward slapping motion of his punches and questionable work ethic won't allow him to compete at a high level anymore. his power isn't there to mask his deficiencies anymore. it's unfortunate because he's really one of the more colorful characters in boxing. his pre-fight press conference quotes are classic, especially when he lights up his cigarette and starts making comments about his opponent's wife or girlfriend.

mayorga was one of the 2 bright young stars who emerged in 2001. back then he won the wba welterweight title with a hard-hitting, high-octane brawling style. the other young star was an erstwhile unknown southpaw from the philippines who demolished pound-for-pound mainstay lehlo ledwaba for the ibf superbantam title. 10 years hence, one star is fading away, the other yet to shine its brightest.

easter
04-18-2011, 08:24 AM
The loss of Berto was shocking but it just shows that in the world of boxing elite fighters are not just made overnight. Of all the forums of the internet, I read at PEX an argument that it doesn't matter if the fighter has power or skills, but is he an elite fighter? The poster says this is the main quality a fighter must have now in order to fight Pacquiao. He argued that at this time, Berto hasn't proved yet that he is an elite boxer and this loss to Ortiz jst set him farther back in the line for the Manny Sweepstakes.

Kid Cubao
04-18-2011, 10:20 AM
^^ i agree 100 percent. victor ortiz is the first fighter andre berto has ever faced that could be considered "elite," and lost in the process. small consolation is the fact that it was an all-out fight with no quarters given, no quarters asked. andre berto lost his first pro fight in gallant fashion, but as easter mentioned, pila muna sya sa likod for the manny sweepstakes.

easter
04-18-2011, 10:32 AM
It also shows us how tough Manny Pacquiao is. He is fighting not just elite fighters but elite fighters who are much bigger than him! Make no mistake about it Mosley is an elite fighter. Whatever others say this guys fought toe-to-toe against Cotto and knocked out Margarito. Any fighter willing to fight toe-to-toe like Pacquiao could be surprised by Mosley.

Kid Cubao
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
boxing recap:

longtime world minimumweight titleholder donnie "ahas" nietes further cemented his reputation as the hardest punching small boxer in town by knocking out mexico's armando vazquez in the first round before hometown fans at la salle coliseum in bacolod city. nietes struck vazquez on the side of the head that looked like a hammer blow, and that was it. this was donnie's first win as a light flyweight, and he looked very good in his debut. if it's in youtube, you've got to see his KO punch, it's a beaut :)

on the other hand, a most bizarre ending marked amir khan's so-called win over southpaw paul "duddy" mccloskey of ireland in the 6th round. mccloskey, who is probably the most unorthodox fighter around whose style is an unwelcome throwback to the days of bareknuckle fights in barrooms, was getting systematically beat by the technically superior khan from rounds one to five when a clash of heads (purely accidental, i must say) occurred in the 6th. it resulted in a small gash just beside the right eyebrow of mccloskey, so the ref had it examined by the ring doctor.

so it was a complete surprise when both the ring doctor and the ref agreed to end the fight, and under boxing rules, when a fight is stopped because of an accidental headbutt after the 4th round, the outcome will be determined by the scorecards. hayun, lamang si khan kaya sya ang panalo. dahil dyan, nagwala ang promoter ni mccloskey when the decision was read by michael buffer and threatened to run after the ref, who he claims was the one that ultimately ruled on the stoppage. i don't blame him, though. he had every reason to be livid, because i've seen far, far worse cuts on boxers that were allowed to fight on. compared to manny pacquiao's facial renovations on the mugs of de la hoya, cotto, and margarito, this cut was even milder than an ant's bite.

yungha
04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
another upset was orlando salido's 8th round tko of panamanian hero juanma lopez in panama no less. it wasn't televised here but you can watch the fight on youtube. it's astonishing how the heretofore 30(27)-0-0 juanma could get blasted by someone with as pedestrian a record as salido, 34(27)-11(5)-2. i mean, salido's been KOd 5 times in his career and juanma's KOd 90% of his opponents. one would think salido would go down but the crafty vet pulled off an upset on hostile turf.

i hope arum just moves juanma up to 130 where his power can still cause trouble, and have bernabe concepcion challenge salido. i feel that now that he's being trained by freddie roach, making him improve his defense, footwork and combinations, bernabe will have a better chance against salido.

it's also good all these upsets are happening in april. magkaubusan na sa april. para pagdating ng may 7, ubos na ang quota for upsets.

easter
04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Yungha actually the JuanMa vs. Salido match was shown in Studio 23 at a delayed telecast at 2pm yesterday afternoon. What was not shown was the Ortiz vs. Berto fight.

Terrific fight plan by Salido. That hammering right hand kept finding its mark on JuanMa. Some say JuanMa was out of shape, actually I thought he was pretty buff and looked like a welterwight yesterday, which probably accounted for his lack of speed in this match. Still Salido came to the match with a plan and he executed it beautifully. Can't wait for the rematch.

yungha
04-18-2011, 04:16 PM
^ thanks easter. was salido in any trouble at any point in the match? did juanma connect on any power punches? a single hard left cross from juanma can deck an opponent and change the complexion of the fight. scorecards from all 3 judges were reportedly 66-all at the time of stoppage.

easter
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
no this was almost an all-Salido show. The tide turned in the 3rd round when Salido started hitting with overhand rights which the announcer said is the weakness of JuanMa. Salido just kept pounding away with his right hand after that.

The Berto-Ortiz fight was very interesting. Knockdowns galore but after the classic 6th round wherein both men went down, Berto just contented himself with clinching and surviving the fight. Ortiz, even though he was hurt seems to have all the answers and just like Salido was very prepared and came in with a solid plan. Berto cannot handle the speed of Ortiz. Now if he cannot handle that then how much more Pacquiao?

yungha
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
^thanks. finally saw the full fight on youtube. the 6th and 8th rounds were vicious. i feel juanma could have continued though.

bad month for puerto rican boxing. juanma was their rising star, their next tito trinidad. old reliable ivan calderon, their version of our gerry penalosa, lost by tko to giovanni segura. at least they still have miguel cotto, who looks fit for a long reign at 154, and wilfredo vazquez.

in contrast, what a run by mexican and mexican-american boxers the past few months. brandon "bambam" rios, though a punk, showed great heart in winning wba lightweight title. giovanni segura tkos calderon for lightfly title. victor ortiz destroys berto. gerry penalosa KO victim jhonny gonzales goes to tokyo and KOs hozumi hasegawa. saul alvarez won the vacant wbc superwelter title over matthew hatton.

great run by mexico. reminds me of the time we had nietes, mayol, penalosa, sonsona, donaire and pacquiao all holding world titles at the same time. at that point we had more champs than mexico and behind only the US. now we only have pac, nonito and drian francisco (interim) while mexico has more than 10. of course nietes gave up his 105 title to campaign in the 108 ranks. but i hope we get another good run of another 3-4 world champs soon.

easter
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
^thanks. finally saw the full fight on youtube. the 6th and 8th rounds were vicious. i feel juanma could have continued though.

I agree with you some say JuanMa could've still continued but it seems God saw it just to stop this fight since you say at the time of stoppage the judges saw this at 66 all, a hometown decision in the making. How can the score be that close when this was almost a shutout by Salido?

Kid Cubao
04-20-2011, 07:13 AM
puerto rico is notorious for its hometown decisions, also south korea and thailand. when you fight in these places, you better win via knockout; otherwise the scorecard tally will knock you out.

yungha
05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
link - http://www.dailypress.com/news/la-sp-0522-oscar-delahoya-rehab-20110522,0,4663390.story?track=rss

no sympathy here. he's old enough to make his own decisions. i'm still pissed that at how they froze out manny from big fights in the middle of the last decade, then bribed him with USD500,000 in cold cash, then now they're accusing him of juicing. after the pac-dela hoya fight, oscar said he never felt manny's punches. but when the steroid accusations came out, he said he hit as hard as known juicers fernando vargas and shane mosley. then he and schaefer had the audacity to lie that no 2nd round of negotiations for the pac-floyd fight took place.

i sincerely hope he gets over his drug problem. but junkie or not, a scumbag's a scumbag.

Emon74
05-24-2011, 09:18 AM
What is Roy Jones doing, before I dont like Roy pero ngayon naaawa ko sa kanya on why he still keeps fighting, I thought he's as brilliant as Floyd Mayweather is, he got knock out cold again and face first on the canvas against that russian cruiserweight trained by former great Kostya Tszyu.

In contrast, di akalain by the end of the day, Jones' rival Bernard Hopkins would become a greater boxer than him, Jones should have retired after the Green fight.

Kid Cubao
09-18-2011, 12:21 PM
the old master still has it.

at age 35, erik morales won the vacant WBC superlightweight title over a younger and much-younger pablo cesar cano, who actually was a last-minute replacement for lucas matthyse after suffering a viral infection while training. with this10th round stoppage, manny pacquiao's early tormentor annexed his fourth world title and went up in the P4P rankings. btw, this fight was the main supporting bout of the victor ortiz-floyd mayweather fight.

muffetteer
09-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Mayweather - Ortiz fight = a fucking joke. If Mayweather needs to resort to cheap shots to win against Ortiz, he doesn't stand a chance against Pacquiao.

Jaco D
09-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Why is it I have this feeling that fight was a sham? Cortez seemed to be avoiding to look at the fighters, constant apologizing to no end by Ortiz, the (perfectly legal) off-guard hits, "defend yourself at all times" being said over and over again, Ortiz having this "OK lang" attitude, Gayweather giving hints of a rematch....in effect avoiding Pacs, that whole drama with Merchant.....

It just goes on and on and on.....

Kid Cubao
09-18-2011, 01:15 PM
larry merchant to floyd maynever: "if i were 50 years younger, i would kick your ass!!!"

floyd may never live that down.

maroonmartian
09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
^Kahit ako ni ganun fan ng boxing nainis dun sa ginawa ni Floyd "Gayweather" Mayweather. Absolutely no fair play whatsoever. Gigil na siguro iknockdown kasi alam niya na baka masilat siya (Ortiz has some momentum going). Nagsorry na nga yung si Ortiz sa headbutt pero walang class na tinira. Hula ko BINAYARAN yung ref. Di daw nakita. Tsk tsk. I would rate the Pacquiao's 12 round fights that this.

Check again his cheap shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yg1aiFA1M4

yungha
11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
manny falls to #2 behind floyd in p4p rankings of espn, yahoo! sports and cnnsi. he remains #1 in ring magazine. manny may not have won in dominant fashion but he won against a fellow elite, the p4p #5 and arguably the best counterpuncher in the sport today. floyd on the other hand KOd victor ortiz who isn't even close enough to the p4p top 10 to sniff it. manny's win over jmm was close but hardly controversial. floyd's sucker punch of ortiz, however, was.

i'm not saying manny's better than floyd. in fact i believe manny will be a huge underdog if they fight. i just feel that if based solely on their last fights, manny did enough to remain p4p #1.

following are the rankings of yahoo, ring and cnnsi. can't post espn.com's rankings because dan rafael thinks his opinions are so precious that you have to pay to see his full p4p top 10. anyway his top 3 are floyd, manny and sergio in that order.

Yahoo! rankings

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2. Manny Pacquiao
3. Sergio Martinez
4. Juan Manuel Marquez
5. Nonito Donaire Jr.
6. Wladimir Klitschko
7. Andre Ward
8. Timothy Bradley
9. Lucian Bute
10. Vitali Klitschko

Ring Magazine rankings:

1. Manny Pacquiao 54-3-2 (38 KO) Welterweight
2. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. 42-0 (26 KO) Welterweight
3. Sergio Gabriel Martínez 48-2-2 (27 KO) Middleweight
4. Nonito Donaire 27-1 (18 KO) Bantamweight
5. Juan Manuel Márquez 53-6-1 (39 KO) Lightweight
6. Wladimir Klitschko 56-3 (49 KO) Heavyweight
7. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam 83-3-1 (45 KO) Flyweight
8. Timothy Bradley 28-0-0-1 (12 KO) Junior welterweight
9. Giovani Segura 28-1-1 (24 KO)
10. Andre Ward 24-0 (13 KO)

Sports Illustrated Rankings:

1 Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2 Manny Pacquiao
3 Sergio Martinez
4 Nonito Donaire
5 Juan Manuel Marquez
6 Wladimir Klitschko
7 Andre Ward
8 Timothy Bradley
9 Amir Khan
10 Bernard Hopkins
11 Pongsaklek Wonjongkam
12 Yuriorkis Gamboa
13 Lucian Bute
14 Vitali Klitschko
15 Juan Manuel Lopez

Emon74
12-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Amir Khan thinks he could beat Floyd Mayweather, haha, bad karma he lost his title to Peterson by split decision ;D

yungha
12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
he thinks he can beat floyd and manny. after sparring with manny he was quoted as saying that pac had lost some power and speed and that he was whupping manny in sparring.

but khan's good definitely. just not p4p level yet.

speaking of p4p, with brian viloria destroying erstwhile p4p #9 giovanni segura, could we see 3 pinoys in the p4p top 10 soon? that would be something.

on the unfortunate side, could we be seeing some slippage on the part of freddie roach? that's 2 world title fights lost in one month (jorge linares and khan) and one near-loss in pacquiao vs jmm.

yungha
12-11-2011, 03:08 PM
earlier today, brian viloria pitched a shutout in destroying erstwhile p4p #9 giovani segura of mexico. i used to think that brian lacked the heart and the killer instinct to be a great champ but boy did he prove me wrong today.

first surprise was how big he looked. i expected segura to come in much bigger but brian came in looking strong and thick.

second was how i expected brian to brawl and press the action and instead he counterpunched with surgical precision, landing crosses and overhand lefts and rights, repeatedly staggering segura.

third was his how he handled segura's punches. brian was literally laughing at segura's punches. they had no effect on him. and segura's a guy with 77% KO percentage.

segura never went down and it's a tribute to his fighting heart. but that swelling near his eye looked really bad and it was just as well that the ref stopped it.

congrats brian! may you have a long reign as champion. how cool would it be for brian to replace segura in the p4p list and for 3 pinoys to be in the top 10!

fujima04
02-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Nonito Donaire Jr. won a split decision over Wilfredo Vasquez Jr.

It should have been a unanimous decision for Donaire. I wonder what fight did one of the Judge Ruben Garcia watched. ::)

yungha
03-02-2012, 07:04 PM
sonny boy jaro just TKO'd thai legend and top 10 p4p pongsaklek wongjongkam in the 6th round to annex wbc flyweight title in chonburi, thailand.

what an upset!

jaro reportedly knocked pong down in a shocking 1st round then got schooled by the masterful thai in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. jaro sent him down again in the 4th but strangely it wasn't counted as a knockdown. pong was wobbly but was saved by the bell. thai television, apparently in shock that a journeyman was tearing their hero a new one, CUT OFF THE TELECAST. the telecast resumed just as jaro was being awarded the belt after the 6th round TKO.

pong had built an astounding string of successful title defenses fighting tomato cans and nobodies. his promoters thought jaro was another one of those who'll sacrificial lambs. maybe pong was overconfident but let's not take anything away from our boy.

let's hope for a long reign. hope he's not a one-hit wonder like malcolm tunacao or marvin sonsona or rodel mayol.

PINOY POWER!!!

Kid Cubao
03-03-2012, 08:21 AM
yes, yungha, it is being hailed as upset of the year. below is the highlughts of the fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz9hPDnE_1Y

our man sonny boy is the bald one a la malcolm tunacao. notice how silent and crestfallen the audience was after seeing there's no escaping for pongsaklek from the pummeling by the champ-to-be. even the ring announcer looks like he's breaking the sad news of a death in the family.

BigBlue
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Was surprised to find out that at 34 yrs old, Wonjongkam stands with a record of 83-4-2. yep not a typo, he's had 83 wins, 45 by KO. in 2011 alone, he had 7 fights, two in January and both won via KO. guy fights like it's still the 1930's.

yungha
03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
^ yup he fought 7 times last year but look at the guys he faced. one was an 18-yr-old thai with a 0-2 pro record, a 26-yo jap with a 5-1-1 record, and 3 indons with pro records of 0-3, 1-4 and 5-1. he makes a living and builds his legend fighting young, inexperienced or simply mediocre fighters. once in a while he'll fight a real contender like daisuke naito or edgar sosa but on the whole he's been padding his stats for years fighting tomato cans.

he rarely fights out of thailand and he's been helped by friendly judges over the years. vs sonny boy jaro he was only down by a point, 47-46, on all 3 judges' scorecards entering the 6th round. how could that be when he KD'd him in the 1st, 3rd and 4th rounds and those rounds should have been 10-8? had he finished the fight, no doubt he would have gotten the decision no matter how one-sided the beatdown.

talk around boxing circles is pong will exercise his rematch clause. no doubt they'll use every dirty play in the book to win the title back, like they did with pacquiao and tunacao before. pong's handlers want him to reach 100 wins by hook or by crook.

Emon74
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Juan Manuel Marquez would have a new opponent on April 14, as earlier reported, the original choice was an argentine named Cesar Cuenca, whose record was 42-0 with 2 no-contest, but Lo and behold, upon checking boxing records, out of 44 fights, he only have.... 1 knockout!

It's good they decided to replaced him and JMM is now facing someone with a 30-1 record with 13 KOs.

admin
04-12-2012, 06:26 PM
testing on boxing thred

admin
04-12-2012, 06:32 PM
posting on boxing thred

admin
04-12-2012, 06:33 PM
checking on boxing thred

yungha
05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
what a tradedy. Paul "The Punisher" Williams got into a bad motorcycle accident and might be paralyzed from the waist down. here's hoping the final outcome will be better than the initial prognosis. even if he doesn't get to fight anymore, let's at least hope for a full recovery.

yungha
06-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Ring Magazine retains manny at #2 P4P. bradley remains at #8. #1 remains in prison.

fujima04
07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Donaire outlast Mathebula to become the unified WBO-IBF Super Bantamweight Champion.

yungha
07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
amir khan once again gets brutally knocked out, this time by underdog danny garcia in a super lightweight (light welter) unification match. he was first kayoed by unheralded breidis prescott in 1 round a few year years back. he bounced back nicely, winning a couple of world titles. then he lost to lamont peterson. fortunately for amir peterson was found guilty of taking steroids and the result was overturned.

but last sunday he was thoroughly manhandled by garcia. khan had the speed, hitting garcia with quick combinations, but once he got hit his already questionable jaw once again betrayed him.

yabang kasi, kesyo he "punished" pacquiao daw in sparring sessions which is why manny daw is afraid to spar with him now. kesyo he deserves a fight daw with floyd. ok naman si amir, he has the skills and the speed but the power is average. you also can't cure a glass jaw and the best you can do is work on your defense. let's see if he bounces back the way he did after the loss to prescott.

yungha
07-17-2012, 10:22 AM
amir khan once again gets brutally knocked out, this time by underdog danny garcia in a super lightweight (light welter) unification match. he was first kayoed by unheralded breidis prescott in 1 round a few year years back. he bounced back nicely, winning a couple of world titles. then he lost to lamont peterson. fortunately for amir peterson was found guilty of taking steroids and the result was overturned.

but last sunday he was thoroughly manhandled by garcia. khan had the speed, hitting garcia with quick combinations, but once he got hit his already questionable jaw once again betrayed him.

yabang kasi, kesyo he "punished" pacquiao daw in sparring sessions which is why manny daw is afraid to spar with him now. kesyo he deserves a fight daw with floyd. ok naman si amir, he has the skills and the speed but the power is average. you also can't cure a glass jaw and the best you can do is work on your defense. let's see if he bounces back the way he did after the loss to prescott.

Emon74
02-28-2013, 05:07 PM
So many exciting match-ups this year, Alexander-Brook, Mayweather-Guerrero, Alvarez-Trout, Peterson-Mattshye (ang hirap i spell nito si Lucas Martin), Rios-Alvarado 2, Madiana-Lopez. hopefully we'd see Khan and Bradley take on significant bouts in their next fights.

Sadly through, Manny Pacquiao's time as an elite fighter might be over, all Bob Arum can offer is a fifth fight with Marquez, without JMM, Pac has no one to fight, Marquez never wanted it anyway, I'd rather see Dinamita vs Danny Garcia.

MonL
11-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Donaire TKOs Vic Darchinyan in the ninth round.

Vic should change his name to "Glass-chin-yan."