PDA

View Full Version : Quarters: SMB vs. GINEBRA

durden_tyler
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
DT's 3Keys for SMB:

+ Stop the Helterskelter. While the Beermen uses the run-and-run-and-chuck much these days (which i don't have a problem personally) i do believe that using that against the ragged, blue-collar team like Ginebra can be counterproductive to a point. Jay Jay Helterbrand could be the primary culprit here as he has the capability of getting real hot against SMB (See last match-up). This is practically because of a couple of reasons: a) he thrives in a free-flowing, fast-pace offense and b) i don't think anyone from the Beermen really match-up well with him. The first point is self-explanatory... The second point means i don't trust Calaguio or Hontiveros (Don't even mention Bonbon) can keep up with him. One solution is to assign multiple defenders against him throughout the game to tire him, and if Siot wants maybe send constant double teams against him consistently--- let the likes of Tubid, Menk and others try to beat SMB. i am not saying that San Miguel leaves their quite-effective run and gun style because after all they have the superior manpower especially against Ginebra but what i am saying is to recognize when to slowdown and when to run--- especially with a Jay-Jay type of player in there.

+ Set rotation. i have been campaigning for much of the conference on Siot's rotation to be tighter--- meaning a 7 to 8 man would probably be more helpful. But Siot is sticking with his system of using that 10-man rotation. This could be the time that he may be right because after all it is not a single game affair and a best of three. But whatever Siot's decision is, it is vital that he define the roles early--- meaning he knows from the get go which of which players will he start, who comes off the bench first and finally, recognize which players should command minutes at the end game.

Case in point: SMB started with the vet line-up vs. Air 21: Olsen, Don Don, JWash, Tugade and Pena but started the 3rd with DSeigle in lieu of Washington--- this line-up cost the Beermen their big first half lead.

+ Win the Glass. Offensive or otherwise the Beermen should be able to win this category. Because the Gin Kings know damn too well to feed off on the energy of their glue guys namely the Tubids, the Menks and the likes. If the Beermen can control the defensive rebounding they'd be able to stop two limit the Kings possessions and their potentially scary running game.

DT's 3Keys for GIN:

+ Jay Jay, the main man. Get him off a fast start. Set picks, set hard picks and force the SMB bigmen to some early foul trouble (particularly Pena and Washington) If the Kings can find a way to make him the early threat that he is very capable of i don't see anyone from the Beermen being able to consistenlty contain him. If that is successful, he can have the next couple of quarters off on scoring but still being able to pace his team either via feed from the top or drive and dish. Jay Jay is the centerpiece for the Kings to have hopes on this series, a good shooting night in all the games is vital for his team.

+ Gins Glue Guys. Tubid and Artadi are real pesky defenders and (offensive) rebounders, if the guards can maintain a high level of energy all throughout they can really help their (lack of) frontcourt's height and overall hustle. Menk's play has seen a revival of sorts--- especially on the offensive glass, if he can be that main glue guy at the paint the Kings will have a chance to even dominate the inside, even just with putbacks and garbage points.

+ Effective Three-ball. We know about Jay Jay but which Tubid, Valenzuela, Pacana and Salvacion will show up (Assuming they are healthy and playing). Backcourt effective shooting from beyond the arc will mean additional option for the Kings.

DT's PREDICTION: SMB via a sweep.

(Ok, that was of course a biased one. But if San Miguel does win Game One i think it's over by the second game... But if the Gin Kings win the first game... Look for the series to go the whole nine yards.)

GO SAN MIGUEL.

aircanda
01-05-2009, 11:25 PM
just looking at the line up ng SMB eh kinikilibutan na ako.. pero kaya ng Ginebra yan.. ang key dito I think is unahan nila ang SMB and protect that lead.. mahirap kalabanin ang SMB pag may lamang na sila..

my prediction.. GSM via sweep (biased din ;D)

sa_pula
01-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Malakas ang SMB no doubt! pero iba ang bGK kapag Dehado...Mas malaki PUSO ng BGK ;D

jieun17
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
i certainly agree na kapag dehado ang ginebra, mas lumalakas sila but i dont think that its because they have a bigger heart. maybe its because of their fans. they get their strength and eagerness to win because of the thousands of people shouting "GI-NE-BRA!" in their games. the shouting of the fans of course also causes some damages to their opponents causing them to win in impossible situations.

i'm a diehard SMB fan but i dont think we can be too relaxed about ginebra. talking about the deep line-up that we have, we still ended up in the wildcard phase in the end of the eliminations and that says that there is a problem in the team (i just dont know what it is! ???). we have to show them that we are not only strong on paper but on court as well which is the most important! ;)

Jeep
01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
that was one heckuvah ballgame last night! good as advertised, as jude turcuato put it so well. :)

like jieun17, i'm a diehard SMB fan (been so since i was a kid). so when olsen got ejected -- someone ought to review that rule on foot-positioning but then again it's difficult to judge players' intentions to hurt or maim (i think olsen had no such intention and he has never been known to be such a player) -- and the gin kings started piling up the points in 2Q, i figured it was a lost cause. with no leader on the floor to steer them after olsen's ejection, these guys were like a bunch of headless chickens going around in circles.

then again, this is basketball, and one can never be sure until the final buzzer. lo and behold, their 2-3 zone started working on the gin kings, who had decent shooters from trifecta country but for some reason went cold in 3Q. kudos to dondon hontiveros, a true clutch player who will carry the team on his back if he has to. lordy tugade also had a stellar performance in the backcourt, while danny s., mick pennisi, and jay wash provided steady frontline scoring. kudos to the gin kings as well, particularly ronald tubid and jayjay helterbrand. they just couldn't find a way to break the zone that coach siot threw at them.

so now, it's on to the semis! that series against TnT will be a great show, too.

durden_tyler
01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Indeed a heck of a ball game! i couldn't be more proud being an SMB fan these days. Next, TNT!

coreytaylor
01-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I just read the results of last Sunday's game. Thank God my team won! Congratulations SMB! Onward to the Semifinals and hopefully to the Finals! :)

jieun17
01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
that was one heckuvah ballgame last night! good as advertised, as jude turcuato put it so well.* :)

like jieun17, i'm a diehard SMB fan (been so since i was a kid). so when olsen got ejected -- someone ought to review that rule on foot-positioning but then again it's difficult to judge players' intentions to hurt or maim (i think olsen had no such intention and he has never been known to be such a player) -- and the gin kings started piling up the points in 2Q, i figured it was a lost cause. with no leader on the floor to steer them after olsen's ejection, these guys were like a bunch of headless chickens going around in circles.

then again, this is basketball, and one can never be sure until the final buzzer. lo and behold, their 2-3 zone started working on the gin kings, who had decent shooters from trifecta country but for some reason went cold in 3Q. kudos to dondon hontiveros, a true clutch player who will carry the team on his back if he has to. lordy tugade also had a stellar performance in the backcourt, while danny s., mick pennisi, and jay wash provided steady frontline scoring. kudos to the gin kings as well, particularly ronald tubid and jayjay helterbrand. they just couldn't find a way to break the zone that coach siot threw at them.

so now, it's on to the semis! that series against TnT will be a great show, too.

me too! when olsen got ejected i was literally pissed off! for 16 years in the PBA he has no records of flagrants and most of all he is known for being a clean player... i watched him closely when the board finally sAID THAT HE IS GOING TO BE EJECTED. he was screaming mad at the top of his lungs and that was the ifrst time i saw him did that in the last few years in his playing career. he even refused to go outside the court, but when dondon hontiveros pulled him and whispered something to him then finally pushed him towards the dug-out, he finally went off the court. maybe dondon said "i'll make sure we will have this one. we will go to the semis!" and true enough after trailing from a 21 point deficit, SMB won thanks to the heroic efforts of Dondon Hontiveros, he made his promise to Olsen. he even said in the post game interview "This game is for Olsen".

on another note, i was so curious that in the next 21 mins of hardcourt action after olsen was ejected, jayjay helterbrand (who happens to be the one that olsen was guarding when he got the flagrant 2) made a show for himself, but curiously again in the 2nd half of the ballgame he became very very silent! ???

NOW WE ARE IN THE SEMIS, BEERMEN, LETS GET IT ON!!!! ;)

aircanda
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
well to me, it really should be called for a flagrant.. pero hindi sadya ni Olsen yung play na yun. Pero the call must be made. Anyway, tapos na ang game at a huge congrats to SMB.. Mas malaki puso nila this time.

bchoter
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
SMB in just made me happy.
Ginebra out made my year

stonecold316
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
With the acquisition of JC Intal, Doug Kramer and Chico Lanete, expect Ginebra to bounce back in the next conference.
Partida pa talaga, wala pa si Mark Caguiao and Raffy Reavis.
;D ;D ;D ;D