PDA

View Full Version : 1986 PBA Season: Year in Review

Emon74
01-01-2009, 06:40 PM
General Discussions about the PBA's 12th.Season, 1986 is the year I grew up watching the PBA games regularly thats why i've always like to share everything I know during the League's first banner year Post Crispa-Toyota.

there has been Record-breaking success the PBA had in the coming years but for me, there's nothing incomparable to that memorable '86 Season, it was the first time the PBA begin showing the first games live starting the quarterfinals of the All filipino and as a preview to my succeeding posts, ilan muna sa mga i'll mentioned first:

Tanduay won its first PBA Title after 11 years since being of the Original founding members of the League.
The birth of Tanduay-Ginebra Rivalry
Ginebra spoiled Tanduay's bid for a Grandslam and won its first PBA Championship after 8 years and The Living Legend, Robert Jaworski became the first player-Coach to win a Title.
A new team Alaska Milk Joined the PBA
Magnolia makes its return in the 3rd.Conference following a two-conference leave.

The Crop of Imports who participated that year were Super, perhaps the very best Two import format season in PBA History: Reinforced / Open

Tanduay - Rob Williams, Andre McKoy / Rob Williams, Andy Thompson, Andre McKoy, Benny Anders
Ginebra - Terry Duerod, Keith Gray, Clinton Wheeler, Hunter / Billy Ray Bates, Michael Hackett
Great Taste - Jeff Collins, Michael Holton, Wilson, Jones / Lewis Jackson, Alvin Franklin, Johhny Brown, Eric Turner
Manila Beer - Butch Hays, Carlton Cooper, Turner / Michael Young, Harold Keeling
Alaska - Donnie ray Koonce, Jerry lea Eaves / Norman Black, Keith Morrison, Donnie ray Koonce
Shell - Dwight Anderson, Steward Granger / Dexter Shouse, Fred Reynolds, Perry Young
Magnolia Cheese - / Rufus Harris, Don Collins, Bernard Title, Jim Banks

Some more classic moments as well as unfortunate events that happened,

Dexter Shouse powerful dunk late in the 2nd.period of the quarterfinals game between Shell and Tanduay which caused the basketball goal to mis-aligned, it took the ULTRA officials an hour-long delay to fix it, the Great Taste-Alaska main game ended past 11pm.
December 9, 1986, Game 4 of Ginebra-Manila Beer Open Finals went Double Overtime, Bates, Hackett and Jaworski played 58 minutes and the Game was finished about 12 midnight, The Annual Awards Earlier had Fernandez and Jaworski stood side by side and the expressions on their faces drew laughter from the crowd when the MVP winner was about to be announced.
Donnie ray Koonce bad fall in the Alaska-Tanduay game in the first conference, courtesy of Rambo Sanchez.
Alaska coach Tony Vasquez returned to the team for a couple of games in the third conference until his untimely demise.

Next up,,, I'll post mga Team Standings, Some Box Scores in the Eliminations, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Championship Highlights in All three Conferences that year.* * * * * *

durden_tyler
01-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Very nice very nice, keep 'em coming especially for us fans who were probably in grade school during this era.

Emon74
01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I'd start of with the 1986 Reinforced (First) Conference, I cant recall the exact playing dates except for the PBA Opening which was April 6, 1986. From my Recollections:

Team Standings after 2 round of Eliminations (W-L)

Great Taste (8-2)
Alaska Milk (6-4)
Tanduay Rhum (6-4)
Ginebra San Miguel (5-5)
Shell Oilers (3-7)
Manila Beer (2-8)

Elimination Round Game Results: (First Game / Second Game)
Alaska 102 Shell 97 / Great Taste 90 Manila Beer 86
Alaska 110 Manila Beer 101 / Tanduay 120 Ginebra 112
Tanduay 113 Great Taste 104 / Shell 117 Ginebra 115
Shell 105 Manila Beer 104 / Great Taste 130 Alaska 112
Alaska 112 Ginebra 109 / Tanduay 137 Manila Beer 118
Tanduay 115 Shell 100 / Great Taste 137 Ginebra 131
Alaska 113 Tanduay 111 / Great Taste 108 Shell 103
Ginebra 122 Manila Beer 103 / *Alaska 120 Shell 115
Manila Beer 136 Great Taste 109 / Ginebra 128 Tanduay 114
Great Taste def. Shell / Alaska 114 Tanduay 103
Manila Beer 141 Alaska 120 / Ginebra 119 Shell 108
Ginebra 120 Manila Beer 99 / Great Taste 126 Tanduay 114
Tanduay 119 Shell 104 / Great Taste 160 Alaska 125
Ginebra 112 Alaska 108 / Shell 137 Manila Beer 114
Tanduay def. Manila Beer / Great Taste 113 Ginebra 108

Semifinals:
Tanduay (7-4) def. Alaska (6-5), 131-111 / Great Taste (9-2) def. Shell (3-8) in OT, 128-127
Tanduay (8-4) def. Great Taste (9-3), 122-114 / Ginebra (6-5) def. Alaska (6-6), 112-106
Ginebra (7-5) def. Shell (3-9), 113-106 *Webb resigns as head coach of Shell / Great Taste (10-3) def. Alaska (6-7), 154-121
Tanduay (9-4) def. Shell (3-10), 128-125 / Ginebra (8-5) def. Great Taste (10-4), 126-122
Shell (4-10) def. Alaska (6-8), 133-115 / Tanduay (10-4) def. Ginebra (8-6), 122-119
Great Taste (11-4) def. Shell (4-11), 124-123 / Tanduay (11-4) def. Alaska (6-9) in OT, 123-121 *McKoy’s winning shot with 1 sec. left in OT
Alaska (7-9) def. Ginebra (8-7), 125-116 / Great Taste (12-4) def. Tanduay (11-5), 107-95
Alaska (8-9) def. Great Taste (12-5), 127-118 / Ginebra (9-7) def. Shell (4-12)
Tanduay (12-5) def. Shell (4-13), 141-123 / Ginebra (10-7) def. Great taste (12-6), 173-144
Alaska (9-9) def. Shell (4-14) / Ginebra (11-7) def. Tanduay (12-6), 154-131

Tanduay and Great Taste wound up playing in the Reinforced Finals with a 12 win, 6 loss Record, Ginebra at 11-7, Alaska 9-9 and Shell 4-14.

The_Big_Cat
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
General Discussions about the PBA's 12th.Season, 1986 is the year I grew up watching the PBA games regularly thats why i've always like to share everything I know during the League's first banner year Post Crispa-Toyota.

there has been Record-breaking success the PBA had in the coming years but for me, there's nothing incomparable to that memorable '86 Season, it was the first time the PBA begin showing the first games live starting the quarterfinals of the All filipino and as a preview to my succeeding posts, ilan muna sa mga i'll mentioned first:

Tanduay won its first PBA Title after 11 years since being of the Original founding members of the League.
The birth of Tanduay-Ginebra Rivalry
Ginebra spoiled Tanduay's bid for a Grandslam and won its first PBA Championship after 8 years and The Living Legend, Robert Jaworski became the first player-Coach to win a Title.
A new team Alaska Milk Joined the PBA
Magnolia makes its return in the 3rd.Conference following a two-conference leave.

The Crop of Imports who participated that year were Super, perhaps the very best Two import format season in PBA History: Reinforced / Open

Tanduay - Rob Williams, Andre McKoy / Rob Williams, Andy Thompson, Andre McKoy, Benny Anders
Ginebra - Terry Duerod, Keith Gray, Clinton Wheeler, Hunter / Billy Ray Bates, Michael Hackett
Great Taste - Jeff Collins, Michael Holton, Wilson, Jones / Lewis Jackson, Alvin Franklin, Johhny Brown, Eric Turner
Manila Beer - Butch Hays, Carlton Cooper, Turner / Michael Young, Harold Keeling
Alaska - Donnie ray Koonce, Jerry lea Eaves / Norman Black, Keith Morrison, Donnie ray Koonce
Shell - Dwight Anderson, Steward Granger / Dexter Shouse, Fred Reynolds, Perry Young
Magnolia Cheese - / Rufus Harris, Don Collins, Bernard Title, Jim Banks

Some more classic moments as well as unfortunate events that happened,

Dexter Shouse powerful dunk late in the 2nd.period of the quarterfinals game between Shell and Tanduay which caused the basketball goal to mis-aligned, it took the ULTRA officials an hour-long delay to fix it, the Great Taste-Alaska main game ended past 11pm.
December 9, 1986, Game 4 of Ginebra-Manila Beer Open Finals went Double Overtime, Bates, Hackett and Jaworski played 58 minutes and the Game was finished about 12 midnight, The Annual Awards Earlier had Fernandez and Jaworski stood side by side and the expressions on their faces drew laughter from the crowd when the MVP winner was about to be announced.
Donnie ray Koonce bad fall in the Alaska-Tanduay game in the first conference, courtesy of Rambo Sanchez.
Alaska coach Tony Vasquez returned to the team for a couple of games in the third conference until his untimely demise.

Next up,,, I'll post mga Team Standings, Some Box Scores in the Eliminations, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Championship Highlights in All three Conferences that year.* * * * * *

Si Rob Williams naalala ko kung mag free-throw yan ay wala sa sentro ng linya kungdi nasa gilid.
You forgot to mention Dexter Shouse's sexy pose every time he shoots his free-throws na halos kita na ang singit niya.
Michael Young was the Best Import in the 3rd Conference.

RockLobster
01-03-2009, 02:14 AM
More on the topic of 1986 imports and their freethrows... I remember Harold Keeling and his odd freethrow rhythm. And even odder is his shot off the side of his head.

Emon74
01-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Si Rob Williams naalala ko kung mag free-throw yan ay wala sa sentro ng linya kungdi nasa gilid.
You forgot to mention Dexter Shouse's sexy pose every time he shoots his free-throws na halos kita na ang singit niya.
Michael Young was the Best Import in the 3rd Conference.

di ko maalala yun game in the first conference where Rob Williams made a record 10 triples, he outdid himself in the 3rd.conference making 13 three point shots in a single game.

although Bates is the favorite to win the best import plum, I think Michael Young deserved it more when he led Manila Beer to the finals.

Emon74
01-03-2009, 08:19 AM
More on the topic of 1986 imports and their freethrows... I remember Harold Keeling and his odd freethrow rhythm. And even odder is his shot off the side of his head.

Harold Keeling, along with Terry Duerod are some of those imports who could have played another season sa PBA.

I remember Keeling's reverse dunk off a steal in that Manila Beer-Shell game.

Naglaban laban mga magagaling na imports during the Open Conference.

Emon74
01-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Finals Memories

Tanduay vs Great Taste Finale (1986 PBA Reinforced Conference)

Game 1 – I remember the Jampacked Crowd that packed the ULTRA to witness from the very start the first game of the Tanduay-Great Taste Finals, the Ginebra myth as being the most popular team that time was just starting as Tanduay and Great Taste fans came in full force. The Game was close all throughout and it went til the final seconds, lamang ang Tanduay, 117-114 after a split free throw and the Coffeemakers needing a three pointer to tie the game when Andre McKoy stole the ball and the rhummakers were running down the clock until an errand pass by Fernandez? Nakuha ng Great Taste ang bola and abe king threw a desperate attempt that was way off the mark, panalo Tanduay by 3 points.
Game 2 – Tanduay led for three quarters, there was a near fist-fight between imports Jeff Collins of Great Taste and McKoy of Tanduay, Reigning MVP Ricardo Brown singlehandidly led Great Taste to a comeback OT win, Brown’s jumper forces extention at 112-all, Tanduay had two chances to tie the game sa Overtime but Rob Williams misfired on both three point attempts, Great Taste won, 126-121.
Game 3 – Great Taste led by 17 in the 3rd.period, 81-64 and were beginning to celebrate, bigla humabol Tanduay after a timeout and they were down by only two, 87-85 at the end of the 3rd.Qrt, it was all Tanduay in the final period, even led by 10, 103-93 and the closest Great Taste came within was 4, Tanduay won, 117-110.
Game 4 – Again, very close game, I feel Coach Baby Dalupan made a mistake of calling a timeout when McKoy was to shoot free throws, Great Taste up, 111-110 with few seconds to go. McKoy made both and from an inbound sa backcourt, a poor play caused Michael Holton to overshoot from far right side and JV Yango got the ball and pass it to Williams who threw it in the air giving Tanduay a 3-1 series lead, 112-111 and a win away from its very first PBA Championship.
Game 5 – The Championship pressure was evident sa first quarter pa lang and it took so long before one team scored the first two points of the ballgame, despite mga sunod sunod na three point shots ni Rob Williams in the 4rt.Qrt, Great Taste won this game easily, 111-106.
Game 6 – Tanduay controlled the Game from the start, led 30-17 and 61-47 in the first two quarters, There’s no way the rhummakers is gonna be beaten that night, Caoch Turing Valenzona was already being given a victory ride late in the 4th. Rob Williams even scored a buzzer beating triple for a 132-109 final count for the Elizalde franchise first PBA Title.

The Tanduay player who stood out was JV Yango, who won best player of the Finals series with McKoy as the Most Outstading Import of the Finals, Rob Williams was voted Best Import of the Conference, other Rhummakers who did their share was El presidente Ramon Fernandez, Freddie Hubalde, Padim Israel and Willie Generalao.

The_Big_Cat
01-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Finals Memories

Tanduay vs Great Taste Finale (1986 PBA Reinforced Conference)

Game 1 – I remember the Jampacked Crowd that packed the ULTRA to witness from the very start the first game of the Tanduay-Great Taste Finals, the Ginebra myth as being the most popular team that time was just starting as Tanduay and Great Taste fans came in full force. The Game was close all throughout and it went til the final seconds, lamang ang Tanduay, 117-114 after a split free throw and the Coffeemakers needing a three pointer to tie the game when Andre McKoy stole the ball and the rhummakers were running down the clock until an errand pass by Fernandez? Nakuha ng Great Taste ang bola and abe king threw a desperate attempt that was way off the mark, panalo Tanduay by 3 points.
Game 2 – Tanduay led for three quarters, there was a near fist-fight between imports Jeff Collins of Great Taste and McKoy of Tanduay, Reigning MVP Ricardo Brown singlehandidly led Great Taste to a comeback OT win, Brown’s jumper forces extention at 112-all, Tanduay had two chances to tie the game sa Overtime but Rob Williams misfired on both three point attempts, Great Taste won, 126-121.
Game 3 – Great Taste led by 17 in the 3rd.period, 81-64 and were beginning to celebrate, bigla humabol Tanduay after a timeout and they were down by only two, 87-85 at the end of the 3rd.Qrt, it was all Tanduay in the final period, even led by 10, 103-93 and the closest Great Taste came within was 4, Tanduay won, 117-110.
Game 4 – Again, very close game, I feel Coach Baby Dalupan made a mistake of calling a timeout when McKoy was to shoot free throws, Great Taste up, 111-110 with few seconds to go. McKoy made both and from an inbound sa backcourt, a poor play caused Michael Holton to overshoot from far right side and JV Yango got the ball and pass it to Williams who threw it in the air giving Tanduay a 3-1 series lead, 112-111 and a win away from its very first PBA Championship.
Game 5 – The Championship pressure was evident sa first quarter pa lang and it took so long before one team scored the first two points of the ballgame, despite mga sunod sunod na three point shots ni Rob Williams in the 4rt.Qrt, Great Taste won this game easily, 111-106.
Game 6 – Tanduay controlled the Game from the start, led 30-17 and 61-47 in the first two quarters, There’s no way the rhummakers is gonna be beaten that night, Caoch Turing Valenzona was already being given a victory ride late in the 4th. Rob Williams even scored a buzzer beating triple for a 132-109 final count for the Elizalde franchise first PBA Title.

The Tanduay player who stood out was JV Yango, who won best player of the Finals series with McKoy as the Most Outstading Import of the Finals, Rob Williams was voted Best Import of the Conference, other Rhummakers who did their share was El presidente Ramon Fernandez, Freddie Hubalde, Padim Israel and Willie Generalao.* * * *

May isa pang import ang Great Taste during that time. Kaliwete. Si Michael Holton yata.
Tanduay also won the All-filipino Conference with the trio of big guys nila Mon Fernandez, JV Yango and Ely Capacio.
Rookie season din ni Dondon Ampalayo nun 1986 yata.

Emon74
01-04-2009, 11:10 AM
For the Record, the incomplete lineups and coaches ng mga respective teams during the '86 PBA Season

Tanduay - Coach: Turo Valenzona, Ramon Fernandez, Freddie Hubalde, Willie Generalao, Onchie Dela Cruz, Jayvee Yango, Padim Israel, Ely Capacio, Abet Guitierrez, Victor Sanchez

Great Taste - Coach: Baby Dalupan, Ricardo Brown, Manny Victorino, Willie Pearson, Abe King, Jimmy Manansala, Joy Carpio, Steve Watson, Macky Torres, bambi Kabigting

Ginebra - Playing-Coach Robert Jaworski, Francis Arnaiz, Chito Loyzaga, Joey Loyzaga, Terry Saldana, Romulo Mamaril, Dondon Ampalayo, Leo Isaac, Dante Gonzalgo, Ed Ducut, Mukesh Advani, Joey Marquez, Alex Clarino

Manila Beer - Coach: Joe Lipa/Tito Eduque, Atoy Co, Abet Guidaben, Yoyoy Villamin, Ricky Cui, Tim Coloso, Itoy Esquerra, Ed Cordero, Noni Robles, Adonis Tierra, Tito Varela, Lim eng Beng

Alaska Milk - Coach: Tony Vasquez/Cesar Jota, Arnie tuadles, Ricky Relosa, Marte Saldana, Rudy Distrito, Biboy Ravanes, Ponky Alolor, Frankie Lim, Rey Cuenco, Naning Valenciano, Rey Ramos

Shell - Coach: Freddie Webb/Ed Ocampo, William Adornado, Philip Cezar, Bernie Fabiosa, Rey Lazaro, Sonny Cabatu, Bay Cristobal, Leo Austria, Romy Ang, Totoy Marquez.

Magnolia cheese - Coach: Derrick Pumaren, Samboy Lim, Hector Calma, Elmer Reyes, Franz Pumaren, Alvin Teng, Jeffrey Graves, Tonichi Yturri, Pido Jarencio, Alfie Almario, Yves Dignadice, Manny Paner, Benny Abelgas.

*RP Team- Magnolia Quench Plus - Coach: Joe Lipa, Samboy Lim, Allan Caidic, Hector Calma, Jojo Lastimosa, Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Codinera, Ronnie Magsanoc, Elmer Reyes, Jack Tanuan, Eric Altamirano, Harmon Codinera, Glen Capacio

*Guest team in the All Filipino

Emon74
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
1986 PBA All Filipino Conference Standings (One Round Eliminations only)

Tanduay 5 - 1
Great Taste 5 - 1
Shell Helix 4 - 2
Manila Beer 3 - 3
Ginebra 2 - 4
Alaska 1 - 5
RP-Magnolia 1 - 5

Format back then in a 7-team field had top two teams makes the semis outright, one gets eliminated, the other four in a carry over Quarterfinals, the 4 teams in the semifinals start from 0-0.The Inaguaral twinbill saw Shell Helix nip Manila Beer, 84-83 and Tanduay beat a Big J less-Ginebra, 99-86, Tanduay beat Great Taste, 103-95 in an out of town game and its fourth win came vs Alaska, 95-93, the Rhummakers were 5-0 before losing to Manila Beer, 121-113, the brewmasters, after a 0-3 start, Losses to Shell, Great Taste, 116-107 and Ginebra, 108-96, bounce back with wins over Alaska, 112-100, RP-Magnolia, 104-92 and Tanduay. Alaska and RP-Magnolia fought in a KO game for the last Quarterfinals seat as the milkmen prevailed, 100-96.

Quarterfinals: (W-L) 1st.Game/2nd.Game
Alaska (2-5) def. Shell (4-3) 105-88 / Ginebra (3-4) def. Manila Beer (3-4) 114-106
Shell (5-3) def. Manila Beer (3-5) 98-79 / Ginebra (4-4) def. Alaska (2-6) 94-79
Alaska (3-6) def. Manila Beer (3-6) 122-110 / Ginebra (5-4) def. Shell (5-4) 100-86

Semifinals:
Shell (1-0) def. Tanduay (0-1) 102-95 / Great Taste (1-0) def. Ginebra (0-1) 107-105
Ginebra (1-1) def. Tanduay (0-2) 94-90 / Great Taste (2-0) def. Shell (1-1)
Ginebra (2-1) def. Shell (1-2) 96-91 / Tanduay (1-2) def. Great Taste (2-1) 119-117
Ginebra (3-1) def. Great Taste (2-2) 110-106 OT / Tanduay (2-2) def. Shell (1-3) 96-94?
Great Taste (3-2) def. Shell (1-4) / Tanduay (3-2) def. Ginebra (3-2) 96-92
Ginebra (4-2) def. Shell (1-5) 91-83 / Tanduay (4-2) def. Great Taste (3-3) 115-107

Emon74
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Tanduay vs Ginebra Best of Five Championship Series (1986 All Filipino Finals Highlights)

Game 1 – First Finals appearance together by Big J and Fernandez, this time on opposite sides, that started the first great rivalry since Crispa-Toyota, from a 42-53 halftime deficit, Ginebra held Tanduay to just 9 points in the 3rd. period to post a 70-62 lead, the rhummakers battled back and was up, 85-83 going into the last two minutes of play, from an 86-all standoff, Ampalayo scored underneath to push Ginebra in front, 88-86, and off a timeout with shotclock running down, Francis Arnaiz converted a jumper that sealed the win, 90-86.
Game 2 – the Never say die Ginebras were up 84-79 after three quarters, couldn’t stop Freddie Hubalde’s fine touch from the outside, Hubalde’s basket gave Tanduay a 106-104 lead and it was Arnaiz again who scored to tie the count, 106-all and forces extension, In OT, Ginebra key players fouled out one by one as Tanduay survived the Ginebra onslaught, winning 118-115.
Game 3 – Low-scoring game, 13-11 for Tanduay in the first Qrt. Tanduay led by as much as 15 in the 2nd.Qrt, 33-18. Looks headed for an easy victory when Ginebra rallied to within 3 on Chito Loyzaga’s triple, time down to about 20 seconds, Tanduay won the game, 79-74.
Game 4 – Ginebra needed to win to force a do or die fifth game, led by 10 early in the 3rd, 56-46 but were up by only one, 70-69 after three quarters, Ely Capacio’s 3 point play gave Tanduay an 80-76 lead. Fernandez turn around basket put Tanduay up, 91-85 as their fans begin celebrating until it was Jaworski against all five Rhummakers, Big J scored 7 straight points, including a steal and a brilliant three point play off a foul by Hubalde to put Ginebra back on top, 92-91, on a Timeout, Big J nearly stole the ball again resulting to a foul and two free throws by Hubalde, who converted both for a 93-92 count, Ginebra failed to execute a last second play on a timeout as Big J tried to do it on his own and the ball didnt hit the rim as JV yango grabbed the rebound and the Rhummakers celebrate while the Ginebra players watch helplessly.* * *

Its been discussed by my fellow posters on several threads, who had better description on that Game 4 Jaworski play, sa tingin ko, Big J should have made a play for Arnaiz instead with his team down by one, with 5 ticks to go. I hardly mentioned JV Yango but he was really the pain in the neck of Tanduay’s finals opponents, Yango for the second time won best player of the finals series, sa Ginebra, other than Big J, Arnaiz, Loyzaga and Ampalayo, it was the twin tower combination of Terry Saldana and Romy Mamaril which helped Ginebra make it to the Finals for the first time since Jaworski became their playing Coach.* *

The_Big_Cat
01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Tanduay vs Ginebra Best of Five Championship Series (1986 All Filipino Finals Highlights)

Its been discussed by my fellow posters on several threads, who had better description on that Game 4 Jaworski play, sa tingin ko, Big J should have made a play for Arnaiz instead with his team down by one, with 5 ticks to go. I hardly mentioned JV Yango but he was really the pain in the neck of Tanduay’s finals opponents, Yango for the second time won best player of the finals series, sa Ginebra, other than Big J, Arnaiz, Loyzaga and Ampalayo, it was the twin tower combination of Terry Saldana and Romy Mamaril which helped Ginebra make it to the Finals for the first time since Jaworski became their playing Coach.* *

I recall this Finals matchup. Mon Fernandez would post-up and would eventually pass it to a cutting Ely Capacio or JV Yango.
Unfortunately for Tanduay's opponent hindi nila mapigilan yung mga cut nila Ely at JV dahil sa laki ng dalawa.
Commentators during this Finals would often call Ely as the "Father" because his wife had given birth to their first child during this time.

Emon74
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I recall this Finals matchup. Mon Fernandez would post-up and would eventually pass it to a cutting Ely Capacio or JV Yango.
Unfortunately for Tanduay's opponent hindi nila mapigilan yung mga cut nila Ely at JV dahil sa laki ng dalawa.
Commentators during this Finals would often call Ely as the "Father" because his wife had given birth to their first child during this time.

I hope there are still tapes that exists on these games im talking about, I remember two year later (1988) pinalabas ulit sa TV the Tanduay-Great Taste and Tanduay-Ginebra championships and I was able to refresh my memory and have a clear view on what transpired.*

Joescoundrel
01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Was 1986 the year Dondon Ampalayo was adjudged Rookie of the Year? Who were the other rookies of 1986?

I recall the Open Conference with the two imports. Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hackett were really something else, combining for something like 100 points and 30 rebounds per game. Of course the other import duos averaged close to those numbers as well. I cannot remember how or why Benny Anders was unable to complete this conference, probably a bad injury. I think Anders played one or two games for Tanduay with Rob Williams then just seemed to disappear. In the pre-conference hype it was Anders more than the hot-shooting Williams whom the press said would be the real rival to the Black Superman. Also, wasn't Rolly Buhay on the Ginebra lineup in this season?

Great Taste had a heck of a team this season but somehow kept coming just shy of winning a crown for some strange reason. Was Steve Watson with Great Taste in 1986? The image I seem to recall is of the "Bandana Kid" playing for Tanduay alongside fellow Atenista and defensive specialist Padim Israel.

Emon74
01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Was 1986 the year Dondon Ampalayo was adjudged Rookie of the Year? Who were the other rookies of 1986?

I recall the Open Conference with the two imports. Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hackett were really something else, combining for something like 100 points and 30 rebounds per game. Of course the other import duos averaged close to those numbers as well. I cannot remember how or why Benny Anders was unable to complete this conference, probably a bad injury. I think Anders played one or two games for Tanduay with Rob Williams then just seemed to disappear. In the pre-conference hype it was Anders more than the hot-shooting Williams whom the press said would be the real rival to the Black Superman. Also, wasn't Rolly Buhay on the Ginebra lineup in this season?

Great Taste had a heck of a team this season but somehow kept coming just shy of winning a crown for some strange reason. Was Steve Watson with Great Taste in 1986? The image I seem to recall is of the "Bandana Kid" playing for Tanduay alongside fellow Atenista and defensive specialist Padim Israel.* *

Ampalayo was Rookie of the Year in 1986, the other rookies that year were Rey Cuenco and Naning Valenciano of Alaska, dondon's teammates Leo Isaac and Mukesh Advani, Manila Beer's Ricky Cui, Adonis Tierra and Noni Robles and then Magnolia upon its return in the third conference brought in 10 rookies, 8 from the fabled NCC which includes Samboy Lim and Hector Calma.

I do remember an article on sports pages about a hype match up between Bates and Benny "the outlaw" Anders, nun first game ni Anders sa Tanduay against Great Taste, ang taas nito tumalon, he's also an explosive import, somehow the rhummakers lost two in a row with him and the last image I saw was a frustrated Anders down on the floor, perhaps knowing he's gonna be replaced, they lost to Manila Beer, which also parade another explosive import in Michael Young.

Buhay was no longer part of Ginebra in '86, while Steve Watson moved to Tanduay in 1987 and reunited with former Ginebra teammate Romulo Mamaril as part of the Rhummakers Champion team in the first conference of '87

I was actually a Great Taste fan back then, it was just one of those years they missed out the finals following a near Grandslam season a year before.* *

Emon74
01-08-2009, 07:35 PM
1986 Open (3rd) Conference Team Standings

Ginebra 9 - 3
Manila Beer 9 - 3
Tanduay 6 - 6
Great Taste 6 - 6
Formula Shell 6 - 6
Alaska Milk 4 - 8
Magnolia Cheese 2 - 10

First Round of Elimination Box Scores: (W-L)
Shell (1-0)* 111 Magnolia (0-1)* 95 / Great Taste (1-0) 132 Tanduay (0-1) 114
Manila Beer (1-0) 127 Tanduay (0-2) 123 / Ginebra (1-0) 122 Alaska (0-1) 115 *Bates 47 pts, Hackett 41 pts
Great Taste (2-0) 123 Magnolia (0-2) 111 / Ginebra (2-0) 115 Shell (1-1) 107
Shell (2-1) 111 Tanduay (0-3) 110 / Manila Beer (2-0) 119 Alaska (0-2) 114
Alaska (1-2) 124 Tanduay (0-4) 106 / Ginebra (3-0) 136 Great Taste (2-1) 117
Manila Beer (3-0) 134 Magnolia (0-3) 126 / Shell (3-1) 120 Great Taste (2-2) 111
Magnolia (1-3) 123 Alaska (1-3) 110 / Ginebra (4-0) 113 Manila Beer (3-1) 109
Tanduay (1-4) 124 Magnolia (1-4) 123 / Manila Beer (4-1) 125 Great Taste (2-3) 113
Alaska (2-3) def. Shell (3-2) / Tanduay (2-4)114 Ginebra (4-1) 109
Great Taste (3-3) def. Alaska (2-4) / Shell (4-2) 115 Manila Beer (4-2) 109
Ginebra (5-1) 140 Magnolia (1-5) 130 *Bates 69 pts / *Tanduay (3-4) 114 Great Taste (3-4) 108

*Second Round of Eliminations: Shell became the second team to overcome the Ginebra juggernut as Fred Reynolds held Hackett to just 16 pts in a 109-105 win, At 6 win 2 losses, Shell soon replaces an injured Reynolds with Perry Young and lost its last 4 games, Manila Beer halted Tanduay’s five game winning run since Andy Thompson came in with a 129-123 victory, Ginebra following a loss to Shell, beat Alaska in OT, 132-119, Magnolia, 136-121 and got back at arch rival Tanduay, 126-118, Great Taste however gave Ginebra its worst beating via 158-122 romp, Manila Beer was at 9-2 with wins over Alaska, 114-111, Magnolia, 147-125, Great Taste, 128-126 and slumping Shell, 122-104 before losing to Ginebra in a no-bearing contest at the close of the eliminations, 160-135. Tanduay even its slate at 6-6 with a 115-114 win over Alaska. Comebacking Magnolia ended their season with a 121-116 win over Shell for only its second victory to finished with a 2-10 mark.*

Quarterfinals:
Tanduay (7-6) 110 Alaska (4-9) 108 / Great Taste (7-6) def. Formula Shell (6-7)
Alaska (5-9) 119 Formula Shell (6-8) 112 / Tanduay (8-6) 108 Great Taste (7-7) 107
Formula Shell (7-8) 154 Tanduay (8-7) 100 / Great Taste (8-7) 142 Alaska (5-10) 126

SemiFinals:
Manila Beer (1-0) 114 Tanduay (0-1) 111 / Ginebra (1-0) 130 Great Taste (0-1) 125
Tanduay (1-1) 116 Great Taste (0-2) 107 / Ginebra (2-0) 115 Manila Beer (1-1) 114
Manila Beer (2-1) 115 Great Taste (0-3) 114 / Ginebra (3-0) 137 Tanduay (1-2) 110
Great Taste (1-3) 142 Ginebra (3-1) 128 / Manila Beer (3-1) 111 Tanduay (1-3) 108 *Young’s 3 pointer with 1 sec.left
Ginebra (4-1) 151 Tanduay (1-4) 130 *Ginebras led by 44 points at halftime / Manila Beer (4-1) 122 Great Taste (1-4) 121

Emon74
01-09-2009, 10:49 PM
1986 Open Conference Finals: Ginebra vs Manila Beer

I considered Game 1 of the Ginebra-Manila Beer Finals as the most exciting PBA Championship game ever played, couldnt forget Billy Ray Bates buzzer beating slam and the Gins rallying back from a 20 point third quarter deficit. Going into the 4th.Qrt, the brewmasters were up, 104-89 but as in their previous meetings, the Ginebras came back strongly in the 4th period, Chito Loyzaga finally tied the count with a three pointer at 131-all, with the score 133-131 for Manila Beer, Bates scored a quick two points to tied the game anew, and on the next play, naagaw ng Ginebra ang bola and with time running down, Bates went high up for a dunk just as the buzzer sounded for a 135-133 victory, pandemonium broke out at the jampacked ULTRA as the pro-Ginebra crowd were up on their feet, the Manila Beer players went to their dugout with heads bowed, sobrang exciting ng laro that Joe Cantada after the game deliberately fell on his seats with Joaqui Trillo laughing and helping him out. Ginebra is now 4-0 in their head to head meetings.
Game 2 of the Finals had an almost exact sequence, Manila Beer led by 19 points in the 3rd.Qrt, 94-75, Ginebra rallied within 4, 105-101, only this time, Manila Beer got the win, 121-111.
In Game 3, the Ginebras made sure they wont play catch up and played with even more intensity, particularly in the final period winning 139-130.*
Just before Game 4, the Best Import award was handed out, as expected, cheers for Bates and boos for Michael Young, to everyone’s surprise, Young’s name was called as the Best Import of the Open Conference, Manila Beer seems headed to tie the series at 2 games apiece led 117-115 in regulation with two seconds to go, on a Ginebra timeout, Hackett just threw a prayer of a shot, the ball bounced up before going in the rim, forcing extension at 117-all, sa overtime, lamang Ginebra, 127-125 when Young was fouled on a three point attempt with one second left, Young converted two free throws to tied the score at 127-all, Bates missed an alleyoop and the game went into second overtime, I recall it was already past 11pm and the huge crowd at the ULTRA hasn’t moved and everyone on their TV sets were awake, Ginebra won in 2OT, 145-135 for a commanding 3-1 series lead.
Ginebra came fully prepared for a victory celebration in Game 5, Jaworski utilized only 8 men for his team’s first championship, Ginebra led 63-54 at halftime, twice Manila Beer came close to within five in the 4rt.Qrt, it was all over at that point as both teams began trading baskets for a 130-120 Ginebra title clinching victory, Bates and Hackett poured champaigns at center court, and Big J celebrates his first championship as a playing coach.

Game 5 was slightly delayed by an hour on TV, the game started at 6:30 pm and it was televised around 7:30 pm, Hackett outscored Bates for only the second time in Game 5, Hackett had 45 points while Bates could score his lowest output of the Open Conference with 31.*