PDA

View Full Version : U-16 Nokia RP Youth Team

The_Big_Cat
12-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Altamirano accepts offer to coach RP U-16
December 02, 2008 12:00 AM
Philippine Star

National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) director Eric Altamirano has accepted the offer to handle the Nokia-Pilipinas U-16 basketball team competing in various international tournaments next year.

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) appointed the former two-time PBA champion coach as mentor of the team composed of 14-16 year olds (born in 1992) effective yesterday.

“Altamirano is the most logical choice being the program head of NBTC the training pool for the 14-16 year old Filipino basketball players,” said SBP executive director Noli Eala. “He was also favorably endorsed by SBP program director Rajko Toroman.”

At the same time, Eala announced the upcoming tryouts for the RP Nokia youth team on Jan. 2-9, 2009 at the PhilSports Arena. Aspirants may contact the SBP office through Love Viray at 706-2970 or 706-2969.

Eala also commended Franz Pumaren, coach of the Nokia-backed RP Youth U-18 team for steering the squad to first place in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) tournament and seventh place in the Asian championship after beating eventual tournament champion Iran.

“The first place finish in the SEABA last May and the seventh place finish in Iran has brought back interest and respect for the RP youth program among not only the Filipino youth but also the fans of Philippine basketball,” said Eala.

Joel Lopa of TAO Corp. likewise acknowledged Pumaren’s contribution and commended him for “the great job he did during his stint as head coach.”

In an earlier interview, Pumaren commented on the developments regarding the RP Youth program.

“I’ve already laid a strong foundation for a good coach to build upon. It is unfortunate that my present schedule forbids me from continuing on as head coach as it conflicts with not just my coaching at La Salle, but with my other commitments to the people of Quezon City whom I serve. But I would like to assure the next coach of the Nokia-Pilipinas U-16 team that he can count on my support for advice and tips on international competitions.”

Altamirano played for the San Beda College in the company of Benjie Paras, Ronnie Magsanoc and Franz’ younger brother Dindo before moving to the University of the Philippines (UP), where he won MVP honors while joining hands with Paras and Magsanoc to lead the Maroons to a UAAP title in 1986. He played for Alaska, Pepsi and Shell in the PBA after the UAAP before leading Purefoods to an All Filipino title in 1997 and Mobiline to the 1998 Centennial Cup crown. He served as one of the assistants to coach Jong Uichico to the 2002 Philippine team to the Busan Asian Games.

The_Big_Cat
12-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Parks’ son keen on post in U-16 squad
By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 02:48:00 12/30/2008
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—This new Filipino-American sensation is clearly all business.

Ray Parks, the 15-year-old son of seven-time PBA Best Import Bobby Parks, immediately reported for the Nokia-Philippines Under-16 tryouts just hours after arriving from the United States.

“It’s not really a vacation, this is work right here,” the young Parks told the Philippine Daily Inquirer Monday. “We have four hours of practice everyday, but it’s fun playing with Filipinos again, especially with my age group and see how the competition is.”

The 6-foot-3 Parks arrived with his father Sunday morning. He will be in the country for 10 days to train with more than 30 hopefuls for a slot in the national youth team mentored by newly appointed coach Eric Altamirano.

“If I do make it to the RP team, that’s a commitment that I have to make,” said Parks, Bobby’s son with Filipina Marifer Celine Barbosa.

“I want to prove that even though I’m living in the States, I’m still dedicated to the Philippines.”

10th grader in Memphis

Parks, a 10th grader who plays as a combo guard for St. George’s Independent School in Memphis, also brushes off all the hype and expectations.

“Hopefully, my game speaks for itself and I can carry the word of the Filipinos here who trust me and think that I can really play,” said Parks. “Hopefully I won’t disappoint them. Basketball players here say I’m big and strong for my size. But in the States I still have to keep on doing weights.”

Parks said he constantly gets tips from his celebrated father, who was reportedly diagnosed with throat cancer early this year.

“He was sick but he’s doing really well, he’s recuperating,” he said. “He just tells me to stay humble and be hungry all the time. He tells me to work on stuff that I’m not really good at.

“I’m a lefty, so he wants me to work on my right and he wants me to work on an NBA-type of game, so I need to add that to my repertoire right now.”

CrossOver
12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
“We will also be in the lookout for big players who can play inside, rebound and run the floor,”said Altamirano on the three-day tryouts scheduled from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Altamirano earlier said sound fundamentals, quickness and good outside shooting are the general considerations for anyone who wants to be a part of the team. The cut-off birthday is January 1, 1993 or later.

“The formation of the team is, of course, always in the context of the competition not only in Southeast Asia but also in the Asian region where we will be up against tall, strong, quick and fundamentally-sound rivals,” explained Altamirano, a former University of the Philippines (UP) Maroon, Purefoods champion coach and assistant coach of the Philippine team to the 2002 Busan Asian Games.

Actually, some of these players to make up the Nokia RP U-16 are seen to come from the ongoing National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League.

“But of course, I am not discounting that there are talents out there who will just walk in during the tryouts and make the team, “said Altamirano as he emphasized anew the support of Nokia Philippines and TAO Corporation.

The Nokia RP Under-16 team will be fielded in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) youth tournament in May after which the top two placers will be seeded in the FIBA-Asia 16-Under Tournament.

Altamirano said that should any of these players excel further, a stint in the 2012 London Olympics is possible if the Philippines finally makes it after a long hiatus following the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Altamirano’s predecessor, coach Franz Pumaren, piloted the Nokia RP Youth team to first place in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) tournament and seventh place in the Asian championship after beating eventual tournament champion Iran.

Members of that team were Norbert Torres, Mark de Guzman, RR Garcia, Kyle Pascual, Ian Paul Sangalang, Philip Paredes, Matthew Wright, Gabriel Banal, Frank Golla, Jaypee Mendoza, Jhon Sumido, Joseph Terso, Samuel Marata and Jed Manguera.

Inquiries: Ms. Love Viray, SBP office at 706-2969 to 70, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=427831&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

amdgc82
01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/142623/Parks-2nd-generation-cagers-lead-RP-youth-5

Parks, 2nd-generation cagers lead RP youth 5
01/05/2009 | 05:27 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Ray Parks, the son of a former professional import, led the 24-man national pool of the Nokia RP Under-16 team that was announced on Monday.

A six-foot-four forward whose father Bobby Parks was a seven-time Best Import in the Philippine Basketball Association, Parks arrived in the country during the holidays in the hopes of cracking the team. The California-born teen did not disappoint.

Joining Parks were Kiefer Ravena (five-foot-11, Ateneo), Cris Michael Tolomia (five-foot-10, Far Eastern U), and Michael Anthony Pate (five-foot-11, International School for Better Beginners in Lucena City).

Besides Parks and Ravena, other members of the pool whose fathers played PBA basketball were Franz Luis Pumaren (five-foot-nine, De DLS-Greenhills) and Jeron Teng (five-foot-11, Xavier).

The players were products of the Nokia National Basketball Training Center Developmental League, a system put in place by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas to address the need to make grassroots development relevant.

The pool was specifically assembled for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association in July where two slots to the Fiba-Asia Under-16 tournament will be given.

Practice opens on Wednesday at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig.

"This is only the start so we advise the members of the pool to religiously attend the practices to show their worthiness to make the final cut for the team," Altamirano said.

From 24 names, the team will be trimmed down to 15 players. High-school varsity coaches Ato Badolato (San Beda), Jamike Jarin (Ateneo), and Horacio Lim (FEU) were part of the advisory committee that screen over 170 aspirants during a cage camp held recently in Xavier School.

Other players coming from province-based schools who were chosen included: John Aldrin Lunas (six-foot-five, San Beda-Taytay); Kristoffer dela Costa (San Beda-Taytay); Jay Christian dela Cruz (six-flat, Sacred Heart School in Cebu); Hero Tomilloso (six-flat, ICCS in Iloilo); and Raphael Nayve (six-flat, San Beda-Taytay).

Completing the pool were: Jasjit Dhaliwal (six-foot-one and half, DLS-Greenhills); Mark Anthony Dia (six-foot-one, Santo Tomas U); Jasper Diaz (six-foot-one, DLS-Greenhills); Kevin Ferrer (six-foot-two, UST); Jeoffrey Javillonar (six-flat, Benedictine International School); Cederick Labing-isa (five-foot-seven, UST); Von Rolfe Pessumal (six-foot-one, Ateneo); Gabriel Reyes (six-flat, Southridge); Paolo Luis Romero (six-foot-one-and-a-half, Ateneo); Brian James So (six-foot-one, Letran); Rene Santa Maria (six-foot-one, DLS-Greenhills); Thomas Torres (five-foot-six-and-a-half DLS-Greenhills); and Joseph Trajano (five-foot-eight, DLS-Greenhills). – GMANews.TV

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2822/spo7gx0.jpg
Bobby Ray Parks Jr.

Nokia RP Under-16 Youth team coach Eric Altamirano yesterday announced the members of the 24-man national pool from which a team will be formed for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) youth tournament set this July.

Majority of the pool members are products of the ongoing Nokia National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League, a grassroots program aimed at producing well-rounded players for future national teams.

John Aldrin Lunas of San Beda Taytay is the tallest at 6-5 while among those who made it were Kiefer Ravena (5-11, Ateneo), Cris Michael Tolomia (5-10, FEU), Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (6-4, St. George International School) and Michael Anthony Pate (5-11, International School for Better Beginners in Lucena).

“We thank all of those who attended the tryouts and congratulate those who made the pool. May their God-given skills approximate their willingness to play for flag and country,” executive director Noli Eala said about the team under the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas headed by Manny Pangilinan that will be trimmed down up to a 15-man lineup in time for the SEABA Youth tourney.

The team, which will be supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corp., is eyeing one of two seats for the FIBA-Asia 16-Under Tournament.

The advisory committee composed of San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors coach Jamike Jarin and FEU juniors mentor Horacio Lim scrutinized over 170 aspirants during a special camp and open tryouts at the Jacinto Tiu Sports Center in Xavier School recently.

Altamirano said that the players in the pool are requested to attend practice starting Jan. 7, Wednesday, at the PhilSports Arena.

“This is only the start so we advise the members of the pool to religiously attend the practices to show their worthiness to make the final cut for the team,”Altamirano said.

Other members of the pool are Kristoffer de la Costa (San Beda-Taytay), Jay Christian De La Cruz (6’0”, Sacred Heart School in Cebu), Hero Tomilloso (6’0”, ICCS in Iloilo), Jasjit Dhaliwal (6’1 1/2, La Salle Greenhills), Mark Anthony Dia (6’1”, UST), Jasper Diaz (6’1”, La Salle Greenhills), Kevin Ferrer (6’2”, UST), Jeoffrey Javillonar (6’0”, Benedictine International School), Cederick Labing-isa (5’7”, UST), Raphael Nayve (6’0”, San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (6’1”, Ateneo), Franz Luis Pumaren (5’9”, La Salle Greenhills), Jeron Teng (5’11”, Xavier), Gabriel Reyes (6’0”, Southridge), Paolo Luis Romero (6’1” 1/2 , Ateneo), Brian James So (6’1”, Letran), Rene Sta. Maria (6’1”, La Salle Greenhills), Thomas Torres (5’6” 1/2, La Salle Greenhills) and Joseph Trajano (5’8”, La Salle Greenhills).

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=429442&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Nokia RP Under-16 Youth team coach Eric Altamirano yesterday announced the composition of the 24-man national pool from which a team will be formed for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association youth tournament set this July.

Majority of the pool members are products of the ongoing Nokia National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League, which is the grassroots program aimed at producing well-rounded players for future national teams.

John Aldrin Lunas of San Beda Taytay is the tallest at 6’5" while among those who made it were Kiefer Ravena (5’11", Ateneo), Cris Michael Tolomia (5’10", FEU), Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (6’4", St. George International School) and Michael Anthony Pate (5’11", International School for Better Beginners in Lucena).

The team, which will be supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corp., is eyeing one of two seats for the Fiba-Asia 16-Under Tournament.

The advisory committee composed of San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors coach Jamike Jarin and FEU juniors mentor Horacio Lim scrutinized over 170 aspirants during a special camp and open tryouts at the Jacinto Tiu Sports Center in Xavier School recently.

The Daily Tribune (http://www.tribune.net.ph/sports/20090106spo4.html)

D_I_A
01-06-2009, 12:56 AM
24 bets make Nokia RP Youth U16 team pool
People's Journal
1/6/2009

Nokia RP Under-16 Youth team coach Eric Altamirano yesterday announced the members of the 24-man national pool from which a team will be formed for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) youth tournament set this July.

Majority of the pool members are products of the ongoing Nokia National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League, which is the grassroots program aimed at producing well-rounded players for future national teams.

John Aldrin Lunas of San Beda Taytay is the tallest at 6’5" while among those who made it were Kiefer Ravena (5’11", Ateneo), Cris Michael Tolomia* (5’10", FEU),* Bobby Ray Parks Jr.(6’4", St. George International School) and Michael Anthony Pate (5’11", International School for Better Beginners in Lucena).

“We thank all of those who attended the tryouts and congratulate those who made the pool. May their God-given skills approximate their willingness to play for flag and country,” executive director Noli Eala said about the team* under the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas headed by Manny Pangilinan that will be trimmed down up to a 15-man lineup in time for the SEABA Youth tourney.
The team, which will be supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corporation, is eyeing one of two seats for the FIBA-Asia 16-Under Tournament.

The advisory committee composed of San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors coach Jamike Jarin and FEU juniors mentor Horacio Lim scrutinized over 170 aspirants during a special camp and open tryouts at the Jacinto Tiu Sports Center in Xavier School* recently.

Altamirano said that the players in the pool are requested to attend practice starting January 7, Wednesday, at the PhilSports Arena.

Other members of the pool are Kristoffer de la Costa (San Beda-Taytay), Jay Christian De La Cruz (6’0", Sacred Heart School in Cebu),* Hero Tomilloso (6’0", ICCS in Iloilo), Jasjit Dhaliwal (6'1 ½, La Salle Greenhills), Mark Anthony Dia (6’1", UST), Jasper Diaz (6'1", La Salle Greenhills), Kevin Ferrer (6’2", UST), Jeoffrey Javillonar (6’0", Benedictine International School), Cederick Labing-isa (5’7", UST), Raphael Nayve (6’0", San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (6’1", Ateneo),* Franz Luis Pumaren (5'9", La Salle Greenhills), Jeron Teng (5’11", Xavier). Gabriel Reyes (6’0", Southridge),* Paolo Luis Romero (6’1" ½ , Ateneo), Brian James So (6’1", Letran), Rene Sta. Maria (6’1", La Salle Greenhills), Thomas Torres (5'6" ½, La Salle Greenhills) and Joseph Trajano (5'8", La Salle Greenhills.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++

i noticed that most of the members if not all are from NCR-Rizal area.. what happened to the members of the NBTC pool from the provinces. Don't tell me that no one really is capable playing from the provinces or regions.

so what's the real score in NBTC program in Visayas and Mindanao particularly in Cebu and Davao.

does it mean again that only those in NCR-Rizal had the chance of being in the National Under-16 Team?

Is NBTC really on the right direction of tapping talents or it's just the same "palakasan system" being employed by those handling the NBTC?

just a thought dudes and dudettes

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 01:02 AM
SIX-foot-5 John Aldrin Lunas and 6-foot-4 Bobby Ray Parks lead the 24-man national pool for the RP Under-16 Youth team, coach Eric Altamirano announced yesterday.

Ateneo’s Kiefer Ravena (5’11), FEU’s Cris Michael Tolomia (5’10) and Michael Anthony Pate (5’11) of the International School for Better Beginners in Lucena also made it to the pool from which a team will be formed for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association youth tournament in July.

Most of the pool members are products of the ongoing Nokia National Basketball Training Center D-League.

"This is only the start so we advise the members of the pool to religiously attend the practices to show their worthiness to make the final cut for the team," Altamirano said.

Other members of the pool are Kristoffer de la Costa (San Beda Taytay), Jay Christian de la Cruz (6’0", Sacred Heart School in Cebu), Hero Tomilloso (6’0", ICCS in Iloilo), Jasjit Dhaliwal (6’1 ½, La Salle Greenhills), Mark Anthony Dia (6’1", UST), Jasper Diaz (6’1", LSGH), Kevin Ferrer (6’2", UST), Jeoffrey Javillonar (6’0", Benedictine International School), Cederick Labing-isa (5’7", UST), Raphael Nayve (6’0", San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (6’1", Ateneo), Franz Luis Pumaren (5’9", LSGH), Jeron Teng (5’11", Xavier).Gabriel Reyes (6’0", Southridge), Paolo Luis Romero (6’1 ½", Ateneo), Brian James So (6’1", Letran), Rene Sta. Maria (6’1", LSGH), Thomas Torres (5’6 ½", LSGH) and Joseph Trajano (5’8", LSGH).

"We thank all of those who attended the tryouts and congratulate those who made the pool. May their God-given skills approximate their willingness to play for flag and country," said Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Noli Eala.

Malaya (http://www.malaya.com.ph/jan06/spor3.htm)

D_I_A
01-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Altamirano names members of RP Youth pool

abs-cbnNEWS.com

RP Youth team coach Eric Altamirano announced the members of the 24-man national pool Monday from which a team will be assembled for the upcoming Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) youth tournament this year.

A report posted on SportsNews.ph said majority of the pool members are products of the ongoing Nokia National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League, the grassroots program currently used to produce players for future national teams.

Among those who made the list are the 6’5” John Aldrin Lunas of San Beda Taytay; 5’11” Kiefer Ravena of Ateneo; 5’10” Cris Michael Tolomia of FEU; 6’4” Bobby Ray Parks Jr.(son of former PBA player Bobby Parks); 5’11” Michael Anthony Pate of International School for Better Beginners in Lucena.

The pool will be trimmed down to a 15-man lineup in time for the SEABA Youth tourney.

The team, which will be supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corporation, is eyeing one of two seats for the FIBA-Asia 16-Under Tournament.

Altamirano said that the players in the pool are requested to attend practice starting January 7, Wednesday, at the PhilSports Arena.

Other members of the pool are Kristoffer de la Costa (San Beda-Taytay), Jay Christian De La Cruz (6'0", Sacred Heart School in Cebu), Hero Tomilloso (6'0", ICCS in Iloilo), Jasjit Dhaliwal (6'1 ½, La Salle Greenhills), Mark Anthony Dia (6'1", UST), Jasper Diaz (6'1", La Salle Greenhills), Kevin Ferrer (6'2", UST), Jeoffrey Javillonar (6'0", Benedictine International School), Cederick Labing-isa (5'7", UST), Raphael Nayve (6'0", San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (6'1", Ateneo), Franz Luis Pumaren (5'9", La Salle Greenhills), Jeron Teng (5'11", Xavier).Gabriel Reyes (6'0", Southridge), Paolo Luis Romero (6'1" ½ , Ateneo), Brian James So (6'1", Letran), Rene Sta. Maria (6'1", La Salle Greenhills), Thomas Torres (5'6" ½, La Salle Greenhills) and Joseph Trajano (5'8", La Salle Greenhills).

as of 01/05/2009 11:53 PM

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 01:19 AM
i noticed that most of the members if not all are from NCR-Rizal area.. what happened to the members of the NBTC pool from the provinces. Don't tell me that no one really is capable playing from the provinces or regions.

so what's the real score in NBTC program in Visayas and Mindanao particularly in Cebu and Davao.

does it mean again that only those in NCR-Rizal had the chance of being in the National Under-16 Team?

Is NBTC really on the right direction of tapping talents or it's just the same "palakasan system" being employed by those handling the NBTC?

just a thought dudes and dudettes

pero dapat din nating tingnan na bakit puro taga NCR-Rizal nanaman ang nakuha?

ano na nangyari dun sa mga talents na nadiscover sa NBTC Visayas and Mindanao, ganun din yung sa Central Luzon and other parts of the Luzon island

karamihan sa elite schools nanaman nakuha..

ganun ba talaga kagaling ang mga players pag galing sa mga elite schools compared sa provinces and regions?

ano na mangyayari dun sa mga bata na members ng NBTC from the different regions ngayon na nabuo na yung U-16 Age National Team?

Oo nga no hmmm malalaman na lang if may kakayanan talaga yang mga nabanggit na name* ::)

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 01:33 AM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/Daily_Images/2009/January/01062009/sports-pic01.jpg

NOKIA-RP Under-16 Youth team coach Eric Altamirano announced on Monday the members of the 24-man national pool from which a team will be formed for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) youth tournament set this July.

John Aldrin Lunas of San Beda-Taytay is the tallest at six-foot-five. Among those who made the team were Kiefer Ravena (five-11, Ateneo), Cris Michael Tolomia* (five-10),* Bobby Ray Parks Jr.(six-four, St. George International School) and Michael Anthony Pate (five-11, International School for Better Beginners in Lucena).

“We thank all of those who attended the tryouts and congratulate those who made the pool. May their God-given skills approximate their willingness to play for flag and country,” executive director Noli Eala said about the team under the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, headed by Manny Pangilinan, that will be trimmed down to a 15-man lineup in time for the Seaba youth tourney.

The team, which will be supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corp., is eyeing one of two seats for the Fiba-Asia 16-Under Tournament.

The advisory committee composed of San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors coach Jamike Jarin and Far Eastern University juniors mentor Horacio Lim scrutinized more than 170 aspirants during a special camp and open tryouts at the Jacinto Tiu Sports Center in Xavier School recently.

Altamirano said the players in the pool are requested to attend practice starting tomorrow, Wednesday, at the PhilSports Arena.

“This is only the start so we advise the members of the pool to religiously attend the practices to show their worthiness to make the final cut for the team,”Altamirano said.

Other members of the pool are Kristoffer de la Costa (San Beda-Taytay), Jay Christian de la Cruz (six feet, Sacred Heart School in Cebu),* Hero Tomilloso (six feet, ICCS in Iloilo), Jasjit Dhaliwal (six-foot-and-a-half-inch, La Salle Greenhills), Mark Anthony Dia (six-one, UST), Jasper Diaz (six-one, La Salle Greenhills), Kevin Ferrer (six-two, UST), Jeoffrey Javillonar (six feet, Benedictine International School), Cederick Labing-isa (five-foot-seven, University of Santo Tomas), Raphael Nayve (six feet, San Beda-Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (six-one, Ateneo),* Franz Luis Pumaren (five-nine, La Salle-Greenhills), Jeron Teng (five-11, Xavier); Gabriel Reyes (six feet, Southridge), Paolo Luis Romero (six-one-and-a-half, Ateneo), Brian James So (six-one, Letran), Rene Sta. Maria (six one, La Salle-Greenhills), Thomas Torres (five-six-and-a-half, La Salle Greenhills) and Joseph Trajano (five-eight, La Salle-Greenhills).

Business Mirror (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4126:u-16-pool-down-to-24&catid=31:sports&Itemid=65)

onggok
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Wala kayang politika kaya lahat ng nakuha ay taga metro manila. This plan won't succeed if SBP mixed with politics. SBP should remembered most of the past superstars of the Philippines basketball came from the proviinces not from Metro Manila. The SBP should form two teams one from the province and other from Metro Manila.

yungha
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
i suppose russel escoto of feu and the slam dunking duo of the ust tiger cubs, neypes and oriondo, are already overaged for this team. otherwise they'd have been shoe-ins as they're far superior to some of the other names in the pool.

JonarSabilano
01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Wala kayang politika kaya lahat ng nakuha ay taga metro manila. This plan won't succeed if SBP mixed with politics. SBP should remembered most of the past superstars of the Philippines basketball came from the proviinces not from Metro Manila. The SBP should form two teams one from the province and other from Metro Manila.

Kung tumingin ka lang sa listahan, makikita mong may taga-Quezon, Cebu, at Iloilo sa 24-man pool.

As it is, Metro Manila schools have the best programs and even top provincial HS players go to Metro Manila schools to develop their skills.

bchoter
01-06-2009, 12:43 PM
i suppose russel escoto of feu and the slam dunking duo of the ust tiger cubs, neypes and oriondo, are already overaged for this team. otherwise they'd have been shoe-ins as they're far superior to some of the other names in the pool.
Yes, they both are beyond the age limit. Kyle is just a few months off.

D_I_A
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM

Kung tumingin ka lang sa listahan, makikita mong may taga-Quezon, Cebu, at Iloilo sa 24-man pool.

As it is, Metro Manila schools have the best programs and even top provincial HS players go to Metro Manila schools to develop their skills.

yun nga yung observation, why do these players have to go and enroll in manila? isn't it that nbtc was designed within the regional and provincial context para madevelop under a parallel program kahit yung players na nasa provinces or regions and in order that they would no longer have to leave their provinces.

tama may taga cebu, quezon, rizal , iloilo etc. but still ncr players still outnumber those from the provinces.

pano kaya yung mga nag under perform na players pero kasali sa mga NBTC teams around the country san sila mapupunta? does it mean hinto na sila sa training kasi meron ng U-16 team.

sayang naman :(

CrossOver
01-07-2009, 12:21 AM
^some of your question can answer in this article...

Cebu Basketball in 2009
By Bleacher Talk
January 4, 2009

While Cebu Basketball in 2008 went well, so much more can be done and achieved in 2009. And so as the new year starts, we make our little corner’s wishes and forecasts for the year. While we’re no professional fortune teller, there are a few things which are certain to happen and few more which we would like to see develop. In the end, we’d like to see Cebu Basketball get back to its status as one of the country’s top sources of basketball talent, something which has been slipping away. We may not achieve it this year but there are things that can be done to get there.

As Cebu’s biggest and most popular basketball show, the CESAFI will be seeking ways to further strengthen its stature as Cebu’s favorite event. Thanks to a more competitive line-up of teams, the CESAFI has become more unpredictable and this has drawn record fans for the past two years. The trend is seen to be maintained even if it looks like another UV year. That’s unless Greg Slaughter will be spending much of his time in Manila to train with the national training team pool. UC and SWU will be UV’s most serious threats this year as USJR and USC will also be there to pull a few surprises even if both teams are on a on a rebuilding mode. But the big question facing the CESAFI is how we’ll fare against Manila teams in the Phillipine Collegiate Championship this year.

At the Liga Pilipinas, Cebu City/M.Lhuillier will be hardpressed to defend their title but will still come out on top for the second straight year. Serious competition will come from the Pamapanga Buddies of Manny Pangilinan who is not known to scrimp on for his basketball endeavors. Mikee Romero’s Batang Taguig may not be as strong as last year as they’ll be focusing their efforts on Romero’s dream to break into the PBA. In the end, it will still be a case of the teams with the deepest pockets dominating the league.

Youth basketball will be very much alive now that all bases of the sport’s age group structure are covered. The entry of the 10-under age group in school-based tournaments has become a pleasant spectacle and we expect to see more this year. The 12-under and 14-under age groups are already covered by the Milo-sponsored BEST Center SBP-Passerelle Twin Tournament, the Cebu Youth Basketball League (CYBL) and the Futures Basketball League (FBL).

The National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League will learn the hard way that it will take more than Nokia and local corporate sponsors to be successful in the long run. It is our wish that a Cebuano player will make it to the national 16-under team of NBTC Director Eric Altamirano.

Amidst all these activities that reflect the good news are items that we’d like to call as opportunity areas where Cebu Basketball can still work on. For starters, I wish that the ongoing clash between the two groups claiming to be the rightful managers of basketball in the country won’t be dragged down to our level. Let them do their fighting up there in Manila while leaving us to run our usual set of activities. Let’s give the SBP a chance to do their stuff and just hope that we aren’t forgotten in their scheme of activities. While we’d like to see the combo of Manny Pangilinan and Noli Eala kiss and make up with the pair of Butch Pichay and Graham Lim, we don’t see it happening soon. The SBP has the nod of the FIBA and let’s respect this. With the country’s major stakeholders behind the SBP, let’s move on and do something for the unity of the sport. Should the BAP insist on its own activities, then let them go ahead with these. With the PBA, PBL, UAAP, NCAA and Liga Pilipinas behind the SBP, I just don’t know which major organizations will come out and support the BAP’s calendar.
The other opportunity area that hasn’t been addressed for over five to six years is the absence of a local commercial league in the mold of the now defunct CBF, CBL or MICAA. The painful lessons of the past where the previous leagues and ballclubs couldn’t last will have to be re-learned, assessed and fixed. The business aspect has always been the main problem but with the right approach and out-of-the-box thinking, a commercial league can and will survive.

Lastly, and maybe more importantly, local basketball needs to be refreshed and updated with the latest developments in the sport from a training and technical perspective. We can no longer beat the Manila teams in school-based leagues because they’ve gotten so much better than us. We have the same talent and skills as those in Manila but they play the game in a more basic and fundamental manner. Manila has pulled away from the rest of the country in terms of development. It is thus no longer a surprise why we haven’t produced another top-level professional player after Dondon Hontiveros.

In the end, 2009 will still turn out to be a good one for Cebu Basketball, but we can’t be complacent as so much more needs to be done if we are to catch up and get back to where we were before.

D_I_A
01-07-2009, 12:31 AM
^some of your question can answer in this article...

Cebu Basketball in 2009
By Bleacher Talk
January 4, 2009

While Cebu Basketball in 2008 went well, so much more can be done and achieved in 2009. And so as the new year starts, we make our little corner’s wishes and forecasts for the year. While we’re no professional fortune teller, there are a few things which are certain to happen and few more which we would like to see develop. In the end, we’d like to see Cebu Basketball get back to its status as one of the country’s top sources of basketball talent, something which has been slipping away. We may not achieve it this year but there are things that can be done to get there.

As Cebu’s biggest and most popular basketball show, the CESAFI will be seeking ways to further strengthen its stature as Cebu’s favorite event. Thanks to a more competitive line-up of teams, the CESAFI has become more unpredictable and this has drawn record fans for the past two years. The trend is seen to be maintained even if it looks like another UV year. That’s unless Greg Slaughter will be spending much of his time in Manila to train with the national training team pool. UC and SWU will be UV’s most serious threats this year as USJR and USC will also be there to pull a few surprises even if both teams are on a on a rebuilding mode. But the big question facing the CESAFI is how we’ll fare against Manila teams in the Phillipine Collegiate Championship this year.

At the Liga Pilipinas, Cebu City/M.Lhuillier will be hardpressed to defend their title but will still come out on top for the second straight year. Serious competition will come from the Pamapanga Buddies of Manny Pangilinan who is not known to scrimp on for his basketball endeavors. Mikee Romero’s Batang Taguig may not be as strong as last year as they’ll be focusing their efforts on Romero’s dream to break into the PBA. In the end, it will still be a case of the teams with the deepest pockets dominating the league.

Youth basketball will be very much alive now that all bases of the sport’s age group structure are covered. The entry of the 10-under age group in school-based tournaments has become a pleasant spectacle and we expect to see more this year. The 12-under and 14-under age groups are already covered by the Milo-sponsored BEST Center SBP-Passerelle Twin Tournament, the Cebu Youth Basketball League (CYBL) and the Futures Basketball League (FBL).

The National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League will learn the hard way that it will take more than Nokia and local corporate sponsors to be successful in the long run. It is our wish that a Cebuano player will make it to the national 16-under team of NBTC Director Eric Altamirano.

Amidst all these activities that reflect the good news are items that we’d like to call as opportunity areas where Cebu Basketball can still work on. For starters, I wish that the ongoing clash between the two groups claiming to be the rightful managers of basketball in the country won’t be dragged down to our level. Let them do their fighting up there in Manila while leaving us to run our usual set of activities. Let’s give the SBP a chance to do their stuff and just hope that we aren’t forgotten in their scheme of activities. While we’d like to see the combo of Manny Pangilinan and Noli Eala kiss and make up with the pair of Butch Pichay and Graham Lim, we don’t see it happening soon. The SBP has the nod of the FIBA and let’s respect this. With the country’s major stakeholders behind the SBP, let’s move on and do something for the unity of the sport. Should the BAP insist on its own activities, then let them go ahead with these. With the PBA, PBL, UAAP, NCAA and Liga Pilipinas behind the SBP, I just don’t know which major organizations will come out and support the BAP’s calendar.
The other opportunity area that hasn’t been addressed for over five to six years is the absence of a local commercial league in the mold of the now defunct CBF, CBL or MICAA. The painful lessons of the past where the previous leagues and ballclubs couldn’t last will have to be re-learned, assessed and fixed. The business aspect has always been the main problem but with the right approach and out-of-the-box thinking, a commercial league can and will survive.

Lastly, and maybe more importantly, local basketball needs to be refreshed and updated with the latest developments in the sport from a training and technical perspective. We can no longer beat the Manila teams in school-based leagues because they’ve gotten so much better than us. We have the same talent and skills as those in Manila but they play the game in a more basic and fundamental manner. Manila has pulled away from the rest of the country in terms of development. It is thus no longer a surprise why we haven’t produced another top-level professional player after Dondon Hontiveros.

In the end, 2009 will still turn out to be a good one for Cebu Basketball, but we can’t be complacent as so much more needs to be done if we are to catch up and get back to where we were before.

my take on this is.. an omni-directional leadership approach..

SBP must go to the level of the grassroots like the provincial and regional levels, touch base with these local basketball stakeholders.

as for those who are responsible in Cebu basketball, linkages and direct participation as a major stakeholder in Philippine basketball must be done. Cebu basketball is Philippine basketball, Philippine basketball is every Filipino's game!

onggok
01-07-2009, 06:21 AM

You are correct. Kaya lang walang player galing sa north like Pampanga, Pangasinan and Ilocos region.If you remembered most of our big player came from north like malou aquino, danny ildefonso,dennis espino,rommel aducul,mark telan,japeth aguilar,arwin santos, the 2 lubao kids.Yes you are also correct the NCR has the best program,but the kids from the province has more potentials just need to be develop kaya kailangan nila ang program na ito para mailabas ang kanilang potentials.

onggok
01-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Russel Escoto just turned 16 last on December 2008.

JonarSabilano
01-07-2009, 09:26 AM

yun nga yung observation, why do these players have to go and enroll in manila? isn't it that nbtc was designed within the regional and provincial context para madevelop under a parallel program kahit yung players na nasa provinces or regions and in order that they would no longer have to leave their provinces.

tama may taga cebu, quezon, rizal , iloilo etc. but still ncr players still outnumber those from the provinces.

pano kaya yung mga nag under perform na players pero kasali sa mga NBTC teams around the country san sila mapupunta? does it mean hinto na sila sa training kasi meron ng U-16 team.

sayang naman :(

Kakasimula pa lang ng NBTC last year. Of course, you can't expect results overnight. I guess the long-term goal of the NBTC is to spread the know-how in the regions. We can expect to see results in two, three years. But right now, lamang na lamang pa rin ang Metro Manila, and people will still send their kids to schools here.

The_Big_Cat
01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Nokia NBTC D-League going strong
Written by Ask Coach E / Eric Altamirano(altamiranohoops@yahoo.com)
Tuesday, 06 January 2009 20:41
Business Mirror

THE Nokia National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League is indeed going strong with most of the first conference championships already settled and completed.

Congratulations to the first conference champions Health Solutions-Laguna (South Luzon), Pampanga Delta (Northern Luzon), Santos Petroleum (Western Visayas), Daisy Condensada-SHSJ (Cebu) and Misamis Oriental Meteors (Cagayan de Oro/Iligan).

Congratulations, too, to Most Valuable Players Orly Pelopero, Elmer Labistop, Gabe Branzuela, Ryusei Koga and John Manabat.

But, most of all, congratulations to all the players from the competing teams.

Why do I say this?

Of course, congratulations are due to the winners, but aren’t all teams winners? This is placed in the context of the lessons at every practice because of a singular training approach aimed at producing well-rounded players who will be available soon to local leagues and, more important, in international competitions.

And what I mean is that the staff of the Nokia NBTC D-League along with the coaches trained the players rigidly in the fundamentals.

As any basketball coach would say, you can never go wrong with fundamentals.

A player may not be gifted athletically nor gifted with height or heft, but the right fundamentals should tide him over in basketball.

And one cannot also go wrong with versatility. Most coaches today look for players who play bigger than their size or play smaller than their size.

Players who play bigger than their size are point guards who rebound and are willing to penetrate at the opposing team’s defense, not confined to taking long shots (although making these is meritorious to the team).

Big players who play smaller are those who own the usual strengths of rebounding and an inside game, but can also hit from as far as the three-point range.

I remember a time when Filipino-American players who play bigger than their size entered the pro league. Guys like Danny Seigle who can play big and can play small at the same time posed troubles for the opposing coach when it comes to mismatches.

Before I veer away from the topic, the Nokia NBTC second conference promises to be even more exciting. The fact is that teams will get points from the first conference and can easily bounce back in the second conference.

A fine performance in the second conference would give the team a chance to enter the provincial, regional en route to the national championships.

And looking at the bigger picture, there’s the continuous development of our players for the greater goal of uplifting Philippine basketball.

CrossOver
01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
By Val Victa
Monday, 05 January 2009

http://rpyouth.com/images/stories/article_images/coach_e/nbtc_hopefuls_web.jpg

Nokia RP Under-16 Youth team coach Eric Altamirano yesterday announced the members of the 24-man national pool from which a team will be formed for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) youth tournament set this July. Majority of the pool members are products of the ongoing Nokia National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) D-League, which is the grassroots program aimed at producing well-rounded players for future national teams. John Aldrin Lunas of San Beda Taytay is the tallest at 6’5” in the pool under the Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas headed by Manny Pangilinan and executive director Noli Eala that will be trimmed down up to a 15-man lineup in time for the SEABA Youth tourney. The team, which will be supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corporation, is eyeing one of two seats for the FIBA-Asia 16-Under Tournament. “We thank all of those who attended the tryouts and congratulate those who made the pool. May their God-given skills approximate their willingness to play for flag and country,”Eala said. The advisory committee composed of San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors coach Jamike Jarin and FEU juniors mentor Horacio Lim scrutinized over 170 aspirants during a special camp and open tryouts at the Jacinto Tiu Sports Center in Xavier School . Altamirano said that the players in the pool are requested to attend practice starting January 7, Wednesday, at the PhilSports Arena. “This is only the start so we advise the members of the pool to religiously attend the practices to show their worthiness to make the final cut for the team,”Altamirano said. Other members of the pool are Jay Christian De La Cruz (6’0”, Sacred Heart School), Michael Anthony Pate (5’11”, International School for Better Beginners) and Hero Tomilloso (5’10”, ICCS), Jasjit Dhaliwal (6’1 ½, La Salle Greenhills), Mark Anthony Dia (6’1”, UST), Bobby Ray Parks Jr.(6’4”, St. George International School), Jasper Diaz (6’1”, La Salle Greenhills), Kevin Ferrer (6’2”, UST), Jeoffrey Javillonar (6’0”, Benedictine International School), Cederick Labing-isa (5’7”, UST), Raphael Nayve (6’0”, San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (6’1”, Ateneo),* Franz Luis Pumaren (5’9”, La Salle Greenhills), Kiefer Ravena (5’11”, Ateneo) Jeron Teng (5’11”, Xavier).Gabriel Reyes (6’0”, Southridge), Paolo Luis Romero (6’1” ½ , Ateneo), Brian James So (6’1”, Letran), Rene Sta. Maria (6’1”, La Salle Greenhills), Cris Michael Tolomia (5’10” FEU), Hero Tomilloso (5’10”, FEU), Thomas Torres (5’6” ½, La Salle Greenhills) and Joseph Trajano (5’8”, La Salle Greenhills).

RP Youth (http://rpyouth.com/content/view/84/1/)

amdgc82
02-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Hard work begins* * * * *
Sports*
Written by Ask Coach E / Eric Altamirano(altamiranohoops@yahoo.com)* * *
Tuesday, 10 February 2009 20:41*
http://businessmirror.com.ph

BY this time, our dear readers may have already known the list of players who will be training for the Nokia Pilipinas Under-16 team set to do battle for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Youth tournament from July 25 to 29.

Sixteen is such a tender age for our youth. By this time, teens of that age are engrossed in schoolwork and play. But the RP team youths are involved in a quest that is bigger than them and even all of us combined. It is a quest that will separate the chaff from the grain, or the men from the boys.

This is the time when the country is aiming anew to make a mark in the international basketball scene.

Last year the road was paved by Nokia-RP Youth coach Franz Pumaren and his boys who captured first place in the Seaba tournament and seventh place in the Asian championship after beating eventual tournament champion Iran.

Immortalized for these feats are Norbert Torres, Mark de Guzman, RR Garcia, Kyle Pascual, Ian Paul Sangalang, Philip Paredes, Matthew Wright, Gabriel Banal, Frank Golla, Jaypee Mendoza, Jhon Sumido, Joseph Terso, Samuel Marata and Jed Manguera.

Not to put pressure on the players, but they are filling in big shoes.

But that is why I, along with the coaching staff and advisers, will be there to guide and train them every step of the way. Add to that the immense support of Nokia Philippines, TAO Corp. and the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas headed by Manny Pangilinan and executive director Noli Eala.

The members of the team are Gelo Alolino (UPHR), Kevin Ferrer (UST), Roldan Sara (San Beda Taytay), Cris Michael Tolomia (FEU), Jeron Teng (Xavier), Cederick Labin-isa (UST), John Aldrin Lunas (San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (Ateneo), Michael Pate (International School for Better Beginners in Lucena), Kiefer Ravena (Ateneo), Paolo Romero (Ateneo), Raphael Nayve (San Beda Taytay), Kristoffer de la Costa (San Beda Taytay), Jeoffrey Javillonar (Benedictine International School), Rene Sta. Maria and Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (St. George International School).

The list will be further trimmed down to 12 before they plunge into action.

The Nokia-RP U16 will undergo rigorous practice and will play exhibition games from February to March aside from the Nike Elite Basketball Camp at Brent in Laguna (April 3 to 8 ) and compete in the pocket tournament and camp set in Australia from April 12 to 22.

They will also compete in the Nike Summer League and the Molten Invitational in Japan.

We have formally announced the lineup to the parents and representatives of schools recently at the Valle Verde Country Club. Also introduced were assistants Joey Guanio and Vic Ycasiano as Mon Jose will be tasked with scouting and video, while Dan Rose is tasked with strengthening and conditioning.

The advisory committee is composed of San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors coach Jamike Jarin and FEU juniors mentor Horacio Lim. Ito Lopa acts as head of operations.

The meeting was meant to also orient the parents and school officials and, likewise, seek their support to the program, which could eventually bring the Philippines to a return stint in the Fiba Asia U16 Junior Men’s tournament to be held in November 2009.

In this bid, the team officials, led by team manager Joel Lopa and head of operations Ito Lopa, reiterated the core values of the team, which are love for country, passion for the game, integrity, leadership and commitment to excellence.

Let us pray that this team will do wonders for the country.

CrossOver
02-12-2009, 12:41 AM
BOBBY Ray Parks Jr., three Ateneans and two University of Santo Tomas cagers lead the 16-man RP juniors’ squad that will prepare for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association Uunder-16 Championship Junior Men Qualifying Tournament later this year.

The team will be trimmed down to 12 before the tournament set on July 25-29 at a still to be determined venue.

Parks, son of former PBA star import Bobby and a student of St. George International School, will be joined by Ateneo’s Kiefer Ravena, Von Rolfe Pessumal and Paolo Romero and UST’s Kevin Ferrer and Cederick Labin-isa.

San Beda Taytay’s John Aldrin Lunas, Roldan Sara, Raphael Nayve, and Kristoffer de la Costa, Gelo Alolino (UPHR), Cris Michael Tolomia (FEU), Jeron Teng (Xavier), Michael Pate (International School for Better Beginners in Lucena), Jeoffrey Javillonar (Benedictine International School) and Rene Sta. Maria also made it to the team supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corporation.

"This is the start of the hard grind for the team in preparation for the SEABA Youth tournament, which is the qualifier for the FIBA Asia U16 Junior Men’s tournament to be held on November, 2009. We are doing this step by step," said RP youth coach Eric Altamirano.

"We are hoping the players’ parents and respective schools will join us in this sacrifice for the country. Just as before, our players will be driven by our core values which are love for country, passion for the game, integrity, leadership and commitment to excellence."

In a run up to the SEABA Youth, the Nokia RP U16 will play exhibition games from February to March. They will also participate in the Nike Elite Basketball Camp at Brent in Laguna set April 3-8 and compete in a pocket tournament and camp in Australia on April 12-22.

The months of May and June will be devoted to campaigns in the Nike Summer League and the Molten Invitational in Japan.

Altamirano’s assistants are Joey Guanio and Vic Ycasiano. Mon Jose will take care of scouting and video while Dan Rose is tasked with strengthening and conditioning.

The advisory committee is composed of San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors coach Jamike Jarin and FEU juniors mentor Horacio Lim. Ito Lopa is the head of operations.

Malaya (http://www.malaya.com.ph/feb12/spor5.html)

CrossOver
02-12-2009, 12:43 AM
02/12/2009

Nokia Pilipinas Under-16 Junior Men coach Eric Altamirano yesterday announced the 16-man team that will prepare for the coming Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) U16 Championship Juniors Men Qualifying Tournament set for July 25 to 29, 2009.

Making it to the list are Gelo Alolino of (UPHR), Kevin Ferrer (UST), Roldan Sara (San Beda Taytay), Cris Michael Tolomia (FEU), Jeron Teng (Xavier), Cederick Labin-isa (UST), John Aldrin Lunas (San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (Ateneo), Michael Pate (International School for Better Beginners in Lucena), Kiefer Ravena (Ateneo), Paolo Romero (Ateneo), Raphael Nayve (San Beda Taytay), Kristoffer de la Costa (San Beda Taytay), Jeoffrey Javillonar (Benedictine International School), Rene Sta. Maria (Rene Sta. Maria) and Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (St. George International School).

The Daily Tribune (http://www.tribune.net.ph/sports/20090212spo5.html)

CrossOver
02-12-2009, 01:13 AM
02/11/2009 | 11:03 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine Under-16 team coach Eric Altamirano hopes to enhance not only the skills of his players but also help form their values in time for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) U16 championship.

Altamirano said his main focus is not only skills enhancement but to also form the values of love for country, passion for the game, integrity, leadership and commitment to excellence.

“We are hoping that the players' parents and respective schools will join us in this sacrifice for the country. We are doing this step by step," said Altamirano as he prepares the team for the SEABA U16 Championship Juniors Men Qualifying Tournament.

The SEABA Youth tournament, which is a qualifier for the FIBA Asia U16 Junior Men’s tournament to be held on November this year, is set from July 25 to 29 in Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

Part of the team’s preparation will be a two-month long exhibition games against other teams. They will also take part in the Nike Elite Basketball Camp at Brent in Laguna from April 3 to 8 and several mini-tournaments in Australia from April 12 to 22.

The 16-member squad, which will be trimmed to 12 before the SEABA tournament, will also be part of the Nike Summer League and the Molten Invitational in Japan in May and June.

Members of the Nokia Under-16 men’s junior team are Gelo Alolino (UPHR); Kevin Ferrer and Cederick Labin-isa (UST); Roldan Sara, John Aldrin Lunas, Raphael Nayve and Kristoffer dela Costa (San Beda Taytay); Von Rolfe Pessumal, Kiefer Ravena and Paolo Romero (Ateneo); Cris Michael Tolomia (FEU); Jeron Teng (Xavier); Michael Pate (International School for Better Beginners in Lucena); Jeoffrey Javillonar (Benedictine International School); Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (St. George International School) and Rene Sta. Maria.

In order to earn the support of the schools and parents of the players, team manager Joel Lopa met with them last weekend at the Valle Verde Country Club where assistants Joey Guanio and Vic Ycasiano were also introduced together with scout Mon Jose and strength and conditioning coach Dan Rose.

San Beda coach Ato Badolato, Ateneo juniors mentor Jamike Jarin and Far Eastern University high school team bench tactician Horacio Lim serve as the RP Under-16 team’s advisers with Ito Lopa as the head of operations.

GMANews.TV (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/148355/Altamirano-aims-to-groom-newly-formed-RP-Under-16-squadl)

CrossOver
02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Updated February 14, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Nokia Pilipinas Under-16 national coach Eric Altamirano yesterday announced the 16-man team that will prepare for the coming Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) U-16 Championship Juniors Men Qualifying Tournament set July 25-29.

Making it to the list are Gelo Alolino of (UPHR), Kevin Ferrer (UST), Roldan Sara (San Beda Taytay), Cris Michael Tolomia (FEU), Jeron Teng (Xavier), Cederick Labing-isa (UST), John Aldrin Lunas (San Beda Taytay), Von Rolfe Pessumal (Ateneo), Michael Pate (International School for Better Beginners in Lucena), Kiefer Ravena (Ateneo), Paolo Romero (Ateneo), Raphael Nayve (San Beda Taytay), Kristoffer dela Costa (San Beda Taytay), Jeoffrey Javillonar (Benedictine International School), Rene Sta. Maria and Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (St. George International School).

The team, which is supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corporation under the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas headed by Manny V. Pangilinan and executive director Noli Eala, will still be trimmed down to a 12-man lineup in time for the tourney.

“This is the start of the hard grind for the team in preparation for the SEABA Youth tournament, which is the qualifier for the FIBA Asia U16 Junior Men’s tournament to be held in November. We are doing this step by step,” said Altamirano.” We are hoping that the players’ parents and respective schools will join us in this sacrifice for the country.”

“Just as before, our players will be driven by our core values which are love for country, passion for the game, integrity, leadership and commitment to excellence,” Altamirano said.

In a runup to the SEABA Youth, the Nokia RP U-16 will do rigorous practice and exhibition games from February to March. They will also participate in the Nike Elite Basketball Camp at Brent in Laguna (April 3-8) and compete in the pocket tournament and camp set in Australia from April 12-22.

The months of May and June will be devoted to campaigns in the Nike Summer League and the Molten Invitational in Japan.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=440226&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

bchoter
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Do the kids really have to enroll in Reedley? If yes then expect some to back out.

onggok
02-25-2009, 01:28 AM
There is a kid from France and his name Ian Kelly Alvarado and they said he is the best 13 years old Filipino basketball player in France. I saw him in Balitang Europe and he has height pero may kabagalan pa siya. I hope SBP will check this kid.

CrossOver
02-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Anong height nya, base sa news na nakita mo me potensiyal ba ang bata?

canmaker
02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
what happened to the lsgh kids? yung trajano mahusay ...

onggok
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Anong height nya, base sa news na nakita mo me potensiyal ba ang bata?
hindi sinabi ang height at sanakita malaki siya sa mga kalaro niya kahit sa mga puting kalaban niya. If I estimate his height, siguro nasa 6'0 feet siya at malaki kaha niya para siyang Benjie Paras noong bata pa siya pero mabagal pa siya. Kung gusto mong panoorin video siguro puwede kang humingi ng copy sa ABS-CBN and ask for the last week episode of Balitang Europe.

insulares
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
RP under-16 squad gets rare training Down Under
by Joel Orellana
Sunday, 01 March 2009

THE Philippine youth team will train under the supervision of the Australian Institute of Sports (AIS) and two other top sports institutions Down Under starting next month.

The training is part of the RP under-16 squad’s preparations for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) U16 Championship Juniors Men qualifying tournament from July 25 to 29.

AIS director Rob Beveridge, also a coach in the National Basketball League in Australia, personally endorsed RP coach Eric Altamirano to the AIS.

“This opportunity is definitely a big boost for our future campaigns in Asian tournaments,” said Altamirano.

“It’s like a basketball camp but we will also be there to join pocket tournaments, as well,” added Altamirano.

In the 2005 Jones Cup in Taiwan, a Philippine Basketball Association-backed Philippine team coached by Chot Reyes lost to the AIS’s 19-under quad.

Besides the AIS, the other institutions that will help the Philippine U16 squad are the NSW (New South Wales) Institute of Sports, the group that trained Atlanta Olympics gold medalist Ian Thorpe, and ACT in Canberra.

Beveridge, according to Altamirano, also offered to come here to help the other Philippine basketball teams in their respective trainings.

Altamirano has already trimmed down the pool to 16 players.

“Once we complete the lineup, we will now experience the world-class training from the AIS, as well as with the two other top institutions in Australia,” said Altamirano, who succeeded Franz Pumaren as head coach of the youth team.

The members of the pool are Gelo Alolino, Kevin Ferrer, Roldan Sara, Cris Michael Tolomia, Jeron Teng, Cedrick Labing-isa, John Aldrin Lunas, Von Rolfe Pessumal, Michael Pate, Kiefer Ravena, Paolo Romero, Raphael Nayve, Kristoffer de la Costa, Jeoffrey Javillonar, Rene Sta. Maria and Bobby Ray Parks, Jr., son of PBA’s seven-time Best Import awardee Bobby Parks Sr.

The team, which is supported by Nokia Philippines and TAO Corp., will try to improve its seventh-place finish in the International Basketball Federation Asia Junior Men’s Championship last year in Tehran, Iran.

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6801:rp-under-16-squad-gets-rare-training-down-under&catid=31:sports&Itemid=65

D_I_A
03-22-2009, 10:21 PM
RP’s U-16 cage team graces ‘Forum’ tomorrow
Daily Tribune
03/23/2009

The RP-Nokia Tao Corp. U16 team led by coach Eric Altamirano will be the main guest in this week’s session of the PSA Forum at the Shakey’s UN Avenue branch.

Along with his coaching staff, Altamirano also shares centerstage with Nokia’s Nikka Abes and GB Penaflor and Tao Corporation’s Ito Lopa and Val Victa.

Rep. Carisa Coscoluela is also appearing in the public sports program sponsored by Shakey’s, Accel, Philippine Amusements and Gaming Corp. and Outlast Battery.

D_I_A
03-24-2009, 11:49 PM
RP Youth cagers off to Australia
Daily Tribune
03/25/2009

With the school year now over, the RP-Nokia-Tao Corp. under-16 team will undergo rigorous training this summer, cap by a week-long stint in Canberra, Australia.

Because of their hectic schedule in school, members of the squad have yet to really bond together for a long time, according to coach Eric Altamirano.

But as the summer vacation beckons, the nationals are not going to waste a single moment to play as one.

“It’s only now that we’re starting serious training dahil irregular ang practices namin because of their schooling,” Altamirano said in the weekly PSA Forum.

Coaching staff members Joey Guanio and Mon Jose, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) official Bernie Atienza, Nokia Corporate Communications manager Nikka Singson-Abes and Tao Corp.’s Val Victa accompanied Altamirano in the weekly forum sponsored by Shakey’s, Accel, the Philippine Amusements and Gaming Corp. and Outlast Battery.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++

Under-16 national team
set to train in Canberra
Malaya
3/25/2009

WITH the school year over, the RP-Nokia-Tao Corp. Under-16 team will undergo rigorous training this summer, to be capped by a weeklong stint in Canberra, Australia.

Because of their school schedule, members of the squad have yet to really bond together, according to coach Eric Altamirano, a problem that will be addressed soon.

"It’s only now that we’re starting serious training dahil irregular ang practices namin because of their schooling," Altamirano said in yesterday’s PSA Forum.

Coaching staff members Joey Guanio and Mon Jose, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas official Bernie Atienza, Nokia Corporate Communications Manager Nikka Singson-Abes and Tao Corporation’s Val Victa accompanied Altamirano in the weekly forum sponsored by Shakey’s, Accel, Pagcor and Outlast Battery.

Members of the team set to compete in the South East Asian Basketball Association under-16 meet in July are Kiefer Ravena, Ray Parks, Von Pessumal, Roldan Sara, Ralph Nayve, Jeron Jeng, Kristoffer De La Costa, Jeffrey Jarillonar, Cris Michael Tolomia, Paolo Luis Romero, John Aldrin Lunas, Narr Benedict Garay, Kevin Ferrer and Michael Anthony Fae.

First in their schedule is an exhibition match with the Cagayan de Oro All Stars composed of mostly college players, before they fly to Cebu for another tune-up match.

After that, the team will attend the Nike Elite Camp on April 3-8. After the Holy Week break, the group proceeds to Australia for a training camp on April 15 to 22.

"We’re also set to compete with top Australian teams," Altamirano said.

The under-16 RP squad is eyeing a slot in the FIBA-Asia under-16 tournament set in Malaysia in November, with the SEABA event serving as the qualifier.

Altamirano said if the SEABA meet doesn’t push through, the RP squad will automatically be seeded to the FIBA-Asia meet.

pachador
03-31-2009, 12:53 AM
CDO All Stars stun RP Youth

Sunstar, March 30, 2009

The CDO All Stars made up for the heartbreaking defeats of homeground squads in the NBTC-D League's Mindanao Finals by pulling off a pulsating 68-65 win against the RP Youth on Sunday at the Xavier University gym.

"The Manny Pacquiao Blog". Click here for stories and updates on the Filipino boxing champ.

Inspired by lusty cheers of partisan crowd, the All Star cast -- built around mostly XU junior and senior dribblers -- went on to control the game, leading by as much as 12 points that set the tone for the hard-fought victory.

JP Erram and Paul Siarot, arguably the tallest and the only senior players in CDO's frontline, proved to be the major headache for coach Eric Altamirano's bid to transform his youthful wards into a winning unit, following a 66-69 loss to Lyceum Subic Bay seniors' team in Subic early this month.

But with the 6-foot-6 Erram swatting out seven RP Youth attempts on top of producing 7 points and the 6-foot-4 Siarot delivering 14 markers with 2 blocks, the least the Nationals could do was to negate the home squad's momentum in the last 7 minutes of the ballgame.

The other towering pair of Elmer Labis (from Corpus Christi) and now Oro-based foreign talent John de Cleene also contributed to the misery of RP's 16-under team as they combined with seven blocks to the local fans' great delight.

"At least, na-angat na ang level sa atong basketball dinhe. Dili na ta matawag nga whipping boys sa Manila," coach Arvin Martinez told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro. "Atong advantage kay naka-reinforce ang duha ka tag-as nga senior players (Erram and Siarot). It's a good tune-up sab for the SEABA-bound charges of coach Altamirano."

Asked to evaluate the RP Youth's performance, the one-time `NBC Coach of the Year' Martinez said: "they have great talents but just lacking in maturity. Some characters of the game like controlled aggression and mental toughness."

Ateneo de Manila stalwart Kiefer Ravena, son of ex-PBA star Bong Ravena, top scored the RP Youth with 16 points.

Earlier, Energen Gensan -- drawing 11 points each from Abatayo and Sumalinog- downed Megavia Davao, 77-62 in the Mindanao Finals of the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC)-D League after dispatching both home favorites Misamis Oriental Baby Meteors and Oro Grande in the elimination round. (Lynde Salgados)

CrossOver
04-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Updated April 01, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Top high school players from around the country, including members of the Nokia Pilipinas RP U-16 team, will attend the Nike Elite Camp set April 3-8 at the Brent Mamplasan in Laguna.

Nike Elite Camp director Alex Compton said that the camp will aim anew to add on or improve on the participants skills through several drills aside from the much-anticipated Life Talks pertaining to behavior off the court and the All Star games to be featured on television with the backing of San Miguel Corporation (SMC).

“Nike Elite Camp remains to be a pioneer in gathering all these top high school players under one roof to further mold them to be players capable of reaching it to the next level, whether on basketball or in life,” Compton said.

Camp participants are chosen through the nomination of high school coaches and later through the evaluation of a committee, which includes Compton.

Among the participants are Ryan Monteclaro (UE), Masshu Okubo (Perpetual), Loui Philippe Vigil and Keith Agovida (JRU), Glenn Khobuntin and Jarelan Tampus (Letran),

Jomar Adornado (La Salle), Ricci Gonzales (Brent), Mark Juruena, (Adamson), Erickson Galacgac (Davao), Gryann Mendoza (Davao), Excel Nocu (Gensan), Bon Jovi Cipriano (Ateneo), Ivan Enriquez (Ateneo), Eduardo Daquiag (BIS), Nico Elorde (DLSZ), Benjie Teodoro (Informatics), Hans Cabrera (Cebu) and Jessmar Sabangan (RTU).

Also in the list are Baser Amer (San Beda), Raphael Banal (Ateneo), Aljon Mariano (La Salle), Kyle Neypes (UST), Art de la Cruz (San Beda), Gwynne Capacio (DLSZ), Jethro Rosario (TIP), Russel Escoto (FEU FERN), Terrence Romeo (FEU FERN), Von Chavez (San Beda), Luis Pujante (San Beda), Joseph Eriobu (Perpetual), Christopher Javier (San Beda), Zack Tabriani (International School), Albert Tanquintic, Dave Moralde (San Beda), Paolo Pe (Ateneo), Alfonso Gotladera (San Beda), Luigi Pumaren (La Salle), Martin Pascual (Ateneo), Mark Cruz (Letran), Luigi de la Paz (DLSZ), Hero Tomilloso (Iloilo), GJ Ylagan (Lucena), Jeffrey Ongteco (Letran).

Completing the participants are Francis Donahue (Iloilo), Rafael Melocoton, Sean Benedict Lucero, Orly Pelopero, Elmer Labis (Cagayan de Oro), Hans Sabal, Lomell Loyola (Olongapo), Raffy Octobre, Kristoffer Porter, Gabe Branzuela and Joven Sepe from Cebu along with Reden Celda, Kinsman Frando, Larry John Malanday and Jhul Ian Elle (Davao).

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=454038&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

D_I_A
04-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Cesafi All-Stars to face RP U-16

Cebu Daily News
First Posted 14:31:00 03/30/2009
Correspondent Jonas Panerio

Cebu will get to have a look at the Nokia Pilipinas Under-16 Junior National Squad when it faces the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) All-Star Team in an exhibition game on Wednesday at the University of San Carlos (USC) Gym.

The event coincides with the opening of the regional finals of the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) Developmental League on Monday, wherein Cebu champion Daisy Condensada and runner-up BMEG Expert will be squaring off against Santos Petroleum of Iloilo and Dumaguete Suy of Bacolod City.

The Cesafi team is comprised of Edrian Lao, Harold Cincoflores and Elmer Mikael Cabahug from the University of the Visayas (UV), Kurt Amores and JR Lapiz from the University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R), Giovanni Padillo and Paul Joven from the USC, Rodolfo Enterina of Don Bosco, Ritchie Jalandoni of Southwestern University (SWU) and Pelayo Cabanero of Cebu Institute of Technology (CIT).

The Nokia NBTC D-League is a program meant to feed fundamentally-sound players to future national teams aside from leagues like the UAAP, NCAA, PBL, PBA and the Liga Pilipinas. Some players from the NBTC D-League were chosen to join the Nokia team that is targeting a slot in the 16 and under FIBA-Asia tournament.

D_I_A
04-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Nokia U16 caps Australian training
Updated April 30, 2009 12:00 AM
Philstar

MANILA, Philippines – Nokia Pilipinas U16 coach Eric Altamirano said the recent stint of Team RP in the Australian Institute of Sports (AIS) allowed the team to focus on shooting and ability to attack the zone, two things that would boost the country’s bid in the FIBA-Asia U16 Championships set in Malaysia later this year.

Altamirano made this assessment following the team’s 10-day trip to Canberra, Australia, where they attended a training camp and competed in a pocket tournament at the AIS as facilitated by National Intensive Training Centre Program (NITCP) head coach Rob Beveridge.

“The players took to heart tips on shooting and taking advantage of the gaps when the opponents play zone. They were exposed to the international level of competition where games are played by taller and quicker players. The AIS training helped us a lot in winning our games during the tournament,” said Altamirano.

Along with the camp, the team played and won all four games in two days, including the finals against the New South Wales Metro, 90-69.

Jeron Teng led the team with 19 points and two steals in the final game while Michael Tolomia had 15 points and Kiefer Ravena added 14 points and seven assists. Von Pessumal tallied 14 points and six assists while Cedric Labing-isa posted 10 points and two assists.

Aside from New South Wales Metro, the other teams which competed were Australian Capital Territory (ACT) 1 and ACT 2.

“This victory should not remove our focus from our long-term goals, which is to prepare for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) qualifier and the Fiba-Asia Championships,” said Altamirano.

The Nokia Pilipinas U16 team is slated to compete next in the Fr. Martin’s Cup’s college division and the Nike Summer League high school division in the next two months. It recently had a stint in the Nike Elite Camp in Brent, Mamplasan and played senior teams during the Nokia NBTC D-League.

Other members of the team in the Aussie trip are Roldan Sara, Ralph Nayve, Kristoffer De La Costa, Jeffrey Javillonar, Paolo Luis Romero, John Aldrin Lunas, Kevin Ferrer, Joshua Torralba, Michael Anthony Pate, Rene Sta. Maria and Gelo Alolino. Bobby Ray Parks is still in the US.

D_I_A
04-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Australian training fruitful for RP U16 cagers
04/29/2009 | 08:27 PM
GMANews.TV

MANILA, Philippines - A learning and morale-boosting experience.

This was how Nokia Pilipinas U16 mentor Eric Altamirano described his team's 10-day sojourn in Australia where the national squad trained at the Australian Institute of Sports (AIS).

The Philippine squad focused on shooting and the ability to attack the zone defense. Both of which may come in handy for the squad which will compete in the Fiba-Asia U16 Championships scheduled in Malaysia.

Aside from the training at the AIS under National Intensive Training Centre Program (NITCP) head mentor Rob Beveridge, the squad also played in mini tournament in Canberra, Australia.

“The players took to heart teachings on shooting and taking advantage of the gaps when the opponents play zone. The players were exposed to the international level of competition where games are played by taller and quicker players. The teachings in the AIS training camp helped us a lot in winning our games during the tournament," Altamirano said.

The nationals were undefeated in four matches in the mini tournament wherein they defeated New South Wales Metro, 90-69, in the finals.

Jeron Teng led the RP team in the title match with 19 points, while Michael Tolomia added 15 points and Kiefer Ravena contributed 14 and seven assists.

Other teams which competed were Australian Capital Territory (ACT) 1 and ACT 2, both of which will compete in the Australia ’s National U16 Championship this July.

“This victory should not remove our focus from our long-term goals, which is to prepare for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) qualifier and the Fiba-Asia Championships," Altamirano said.

The national team is also composed of Roldan Sara, Ralph Nayve, Kristoffer De La Costa, Jeffrey Javillonar, Paolo Luis Romero, John Aldrin Lunas, Kevin Ferrer, Joshua Torralba, Michael Anthony Pate, Rene Sta. Maria and Gelo Alolino. Bobby Ray Parks has yet to arrive from the US. –

CrossOver
06-03-2009, 01:19 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/images/masthead01.gifhttp://sports.inquirer.net/images/mast_spo.jpg

Next level
By Eric Altamirano
Tuesday, 02 June 2009 21:11

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/columnst/col-sports-ask%20coach%20e.jpg

BEIJING - The prevailing wisdom among some coaches is to train players only up to a certain level, say, a player under 16 years should only be up against players in his age bracket or lower.

Well-meaning coach-friends say young players pitted against veteran and seasoned ones are only in for a lot of bruises, injuries and a disappointment.

Well, I agree with them up to a certain level. My thinking is that sending a young inexperienced team against a veteran and older team is equivalent to suicide if the players are not fundamentally prepared and not cognizant of the values to be derived from the experience.

I remember the time when the Philippine team play against Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) squads with veteran players and, sometimes, even fitted with imports.

Naturally, the games will be one-sided as amateur players drift away to gaping with awe at the superstar players from actually showing their might on court.

The question is: Were these players discouraged after being beaten black and blue by the then-PBA stars? Do the names like Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Codiñera, Dindo Pumaren and Ronnie Magsanoc ring a bell as far as this matter is concerned?

For the Nokia RP U16 team, the idea is to develop these players to play at a much higher level with the sights toward the level of play in the Fiba championships.

During the Nokia NBTC, I fielded the team against senior teams who are two or three years older. Despite that the players lost only by a few points and gave a good account of themselves.

Before the Beijing trip, there’s the training in Canberra, where the players went up against taller kids from the best programs in Australia. Despite playing together for the first time under a foreign environment, the team won the pocket tournament.

Now, the team will be up against the China 16-and-under, 17-and-under and 19-and-under national teams. The experience will give the Nokia RP U16 team the chance to evaluate how it will possibly perform against seasoned but young teams.

As everybody knows, the Chinese style of developing players does not see any boundaries. We’ve seen under-19 players being sent in the bigger tournaments like the Fiba men’s and the Asian Games.

This is not meant to disparage the competition or send the players to virtual suicide missions. Winning is a far cry for teams like these but what matters is the development of skills when ranged against older and much more talented players.

So far the Chinese were right in sacrificing young players at low-level but competitive events so as to develop them with the Olympics in mind. That is long-term planning the Philippines can use in charting its way back to the Olympics.

BusinessMirror (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/home/sports/11179-next-level.html)

BLUE HORSE
07-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Check out the Sports Illustrated web site. There is a lengthy piece concerning the basketball career and recruitment of Ray Parks, Jr. It was a nice article writen by Luke Winn who covers college basketball for the magazine. Winn mentioned that Ray is being courted to play for the Philippine junior team but his current hectic schedule trying to make a name for himself may prevent him from playing for the team. Memphis and UVA have been mentioned as a college destination. Ray Sr. is vastly quoted and Japeth Aguilar was even mentioned together with Norman Black.

Schortsanitis
07-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Here are the links to the SI article on Bobby Parks Jr.:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/luke_winn/07/10/parks/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/luke_winn/07/10/parks/1.html