PDA

View Full Version : NBA regular season awards

tigerman
12-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Two months of NBA basketball have been played and here are my choices.

1. MVP
LeBron James - monster MVP stats and leading his team to the 2nd best record in the league, 'nuff said.

honorable mention - Dwyane Wade (monster MVP stats too but Miami's team record is not as impressive as that of Cleveland)

2. 6th man
Jason Terry - The most logical choice for the award.

honorable mention - I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

3. Rookie of the Year
Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo - Both players are having stellar averages despite the poor showing of their respective teams.

honorable mention - Michael Beasley and Brook Lopez

4. Coach of the Year
Jerry Sloan - Utah, despite the injury-plagued season, is still playing competitive basketball.

honorable mention - Mike Brown and Stan Van Gundy

5. Most Improved Player
Devin Harris - Danny Granger has something to say with this but with NJ shutting up all the so-called NBA experts plus Devin's impressive stats, the former Dallas Mav should be a lock for this award.

honorable mention - Danny Granger

6. Defensive Player of the Year
Dwight Howard - monster stats and the defensive anchor of Orlando

honorable mention - Chris Paul, Kevin Garnett (but set aside his bullying acts against non-superstars)

- surprising Team
New Jersey Nets -Aside from the fact that they're overachieving, a better road record than at home is a surprise for a young and rebuilding team. In fact, they have the 3rd best record in the league behind Boston and Orlando.

honorable mention - Orlando Magic (I never thought they will be this good.)

-disappointing Teams:
Toronto Raptors/ Philadelphia 76ers - They were the teams that made the biggest noise during the off-season largely due to the acquisition of all-stars Elton Brand and Jermaine O' Neal. For said reason alone, they were picked, along with Detroit and Cleveland, as the major obstacles in the East for the back-to-back aspirations of Boston. However, for one reason or another, they have yet to live up to the high expectations.

honorable mention - Detroit Pistons (They were not the same after that AI-Chauncey trade.)

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
12-28-2008, 06:42 PM
3. Rookie of the Year
Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo - Both players are having stellar averages despite the poor showing of their respective teams.

honorable mention - Michael Beasley and Brook Lopez

My underdog candidate - Russell Westbrook.

The_Big_Cat
12-28-2008, 08:01 PM
If the Boston Celtics surpasses its 66 wins last season, Doc Rivers will be the Coach of the Year.
LeBron James - MVP

arjay_g
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Two months of NBA basketball have been played and here are my choices.
2. 6th man
Jason Terry - The most logical choice for the award.

honorable mention - I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

AK47 can also be considered for this. We can also watch out for super sub Manu Ginobili. :)

Lamar Odom? he can still turn his season around, though personally i think it's unlikely

mighty_lion
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
5. Most Improved Player
Devin Harris - Danny Granger has something to say with this but with NJ shutting up all the so-called NBA experts plus Devin's impressive stats, the former Dallas Mav should be a lock for this award.

I think this award will go to Boris Diaw. While Harris and Granger increased their scoring numbers from last season, Diaw's scoring, rebounding and assists numbers are almost doubled since Bobcats-Suns trade.

tigerman
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Rodney Stuckey is slowly making a case for the MIP award.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
01-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Rodney Stuckey is slowly making a case for the MIP award.
USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Im about to say that as well. He looks like a poormans version of Dwayne Wade right now.

cub
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
5. Most Improved Player

I think this award will go to Boris Diaw. While Harris and Granger increased their scoring numbers from last season, Diaw's scoring, rebounding and assists numbers are almost doubled since Bobcats-Suns trade.

Diaw was the Most Improved Player back in 2006. can a player be an MIP twice?

arjay_g
01-06-2009, 02:10 AM
^ siya ba? didn't he lose to Monta Ellis that year?

tigerman
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, Boris Diaw won the MIP award in the 05-06 season while Monta Ellis won it the following season.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
5. Most Improved Player

Diaw was the Most Improved Player back in 2006. can a player be an MIP twice?

Pwedeng umulit AFAIK

arjay_g
01-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Yes, Boris Diaw won the MIP award in the 05-06 season while Monta Ellis won it the following season.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

oh ok. thanks :)

arjay_g
01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Jameer Nelson just got into the all-stars and is making a serious case for MIP contention.

Early season favorite Devin Harris made the East squad too.

mighty_lion
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Derrick Rose

By Month G MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
October 2 30.0 4.5-11.5 39.130 0.0-0.0 .000 5.5-6.5 84.615 2.00 0.00 3.5 3.0 1.5 2.5 4.0 5.0 14.5
November 15 39.0 7.9-15.9 49.580 0.5-1.3 .368 2.7-3.2 85.417 0.87 0.27 2.6 1.3 0.9 3.2 4.1 6.1 18.9
December 15 37.3 6.7-14.7 45.909 0.5-1.5 .304 2.4-3.3 72.000 0.87 0.20 2.8 2.0 0.7 2.5 3.1 6.2 16.3
January 16 35.6 6.8-15.1 44.628 0.1-0.8 .083 1.8-2.3 77.778 0.63 0.25 2.4 1.2 1.4 1.9 3.3 6.8 15.3

Russell Westbrook

By Month G MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
October 1 22.0 4.0-9.0 44.444 1.0-2.0 .500 4.0-6.0 66.667 0.00 1.00 2.0 2.0 4.0 0.0 4.0 4.0 13.0
November 17 27.2 4.1-11.9 34.483 0.4-1.5 .240 3.6-4.5 81.579 1.88 0.29 2.5 2.5 1.8 1.5 3.3 4.1 12.2
December 15 33.1 5.7-12.3 46.196 0.5-1.3 .400 3.6-4.7 77.143 1.33 0.07 4.0 2.2 2.4 2.7 5.1 5.1 15.5
January 14 34.7 5.8-13.2 43.784 0.5-1.6 .318 4.4-5.4 82.667 1.14 0.14 2.7 2.2 1.9 3.1 4.9 5.5 16.5

While Derrick Rose has been consistent since day one, I still think the race for ROY is far from over. Westbrook has been making a case for himself and whenever he plays well OKC Thunder is winning games.

So far:
Finishing the ball near the ring = Rose > Westbrook
Creating for others (Assist) = Rose > Westbrook
Outside shooting = Westbrook > Rose
Defense (rebounding, steals, man D) = Westbrook > Rose

Get_Blazed
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
LeBron for MVP, all day.

For MIP, Kevin Durant, anyone?

arjay_g
04-18-2009, 06:09 PM
with the NBA regular season wrapped up, who do you guys think won individual awards?

my choices:

ROY - Derrick Rose

Defensive Player - Dwight Howard

MIP - Devin Harris

6th man - Jason Terry

Coach of the Year - Eric Spoelstra or Stan van Gundy

MVP - Dwyane Wade

cub
04-18-2009, 06:42 PM
with the NBA regular season wrapped up, who do you guys think won individual awards?

my choices:

ROY - Derrick Rose

MIP - Devin Harris

6th man - Jason Terry

Coach of the Year - Eric Spoelstra or Stan van Gundy

MVP - Dwyane Wade

ROY - Derrick Rose

MIP - Danny Granger

6th man - Jason Terry

Coach of the Year - Mike Brown

MVP - I want Wade to win, but the award will go to LBJ.

bossman
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
ROY - Derrick Rose

DPY - Dwight Howard

6th Man- Jason Terry

MIP - Devin Harris

MVP - Lebron James

All NBA First Team

Dwayne Wade

Chris Paul

Kobe Bryant

Lebron James

Dwight Howard

All NBA Second Team

Yao Ming

Dirk Nowitzki

Chauncey Billups

Tim Duncan

Paul Pierce

arjay_g
04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Mike Brown wins Coach of the Year award.

source (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AucTqby00enpMQ.AMSWz9Gi8vLYF?slug=ap-nbacoachofyear&prov=ap&type=lgns)

stonecold316
04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Cavs' Mike Brown honored as NBA coach of year
04/21/2009 | 07:05 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | ShareThis
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio – Like his first year in Cleveland, LeBron James' second NBA season ended without a trip to the playoffs. The miss was inexcusable to Cavaliers rookie owner Dan Gilbert, who set out an immediate coaching search so it wouldn't happen again.

Gilbert plucked a highly regarded assistant off Indiana's staff, a likable guy who vowed to instill a defense-first identity in Cleveland.

The hiring wasn't well received.

"Who the heck is Mike Brown?" Cavs general manager Danny Ferry recalled as the overriding sentiment back then.

Four years later, here's an updated answer: coach of the year.

Brown, who has taken Cleveland to the postseason in each of his four seasons, was honored Monday as the league's top coach after leading the Cavaliers to 66 wins, a Central Division title and the No. 1 overall playoff seed following the greatest regular season in club history.

With James and the other Cavaliers standing behind him and his coaching staff seated a few feet away, Brown humbly accepted the Red Auerbach trophy.

"If they did not want me to coach them, I wouldn't be able to coach them," he said. "I look at this as a partnership. Yes, my name is on this, but this is the ultimate team award from a coaching standpoint. I haven't put on a uniform or done anything out on the floor. The players have done it all. The coaching staff has done a lot and when you win an award like this, you can't do it by yourself.

"You have some great people around you."

None greater than James, the likely league MVP, who feels Brown has been overlooked mostly because he has a superstar at his disposal.

"That was the main reason," James said. "But that doesn't take away from the fact that we still have to go out there and play for him and abide by his system. There are a lot of teams with great talent, but that doesn't automatically qualify you as a good coach or give you wins.

"It just showed this year how good of a coach he is."

Brown joins Bill Fitch in 1976 as the only Cleveland coaches to win the award.

Expected to be a close vote, Brown won in a landslide. He received 55 first-place votes and earned 355 total points from a panel of 122 sports writers and broadcasters, who awarded five points for first, three points for second and one point for third.

Houston's Rick Adelman was second with 151 points, one ahead of Orlando's Stan Van Gundy. Both got 13 first-place votes. Portland's Nate McMillan was first on 15 ballots and finished fourth with 127 points.

New Orleans coach Byron Scott won the award last year.

Preaching the importance of trust to his players since training camp, Brown has created a tightly knit team fronted by James, who led the applause for his coach during the news conference at Cleveland's training facility. The 38-year-old Brown also has given more authority to his assistants, a sign of both his maturity as a coach and confidence as a leader.

"This is our fourth year together," Brown said. "The biggest thing this year was finding that elusive word chemistry among a group of individuals to try and reach one goal. Our goal has not changed, but the thing that we felt would help define chemistry is trust. They have shown tremendous trust in one and other. We've tried as a staff to show trust in them and in order to help that I had to show trust in my assistants."

As he complimented his assistants, James, Delonte West and other players reached over and began patting assistants Mike Malone, John Kuester, Hank Egan, Melvin Hunt and Chris Jent on their backs.

"I had to show our players that I trust those guys," Brown said. "We can talk about something and I can turn my back to it and we know the job is going to get done."

Ferry praised Brown for an unmatched work ethic. Brown's attention to detail has endeared him to his players and staff, but like any successful coach, the long hours have taken away time from the father of two's family. Brown's wife, Carolyn, was on hand to see him get the award.

"Mike sets the tone with how hard he works," Ferry said. "He pushes all of us. The guy watches a lot of film. He's obsessed with it. That's Carolyn's Saturday night movies, watching game tape."

Brown was asked what his coaching mentors, Bernie Bickerstaff and Gregg Popovich, might be thinking about him winning the award.

"Get back to work," said Brown, whose team has a 1-0 lead over Detroit heading into Game 2 on Tuesday.

At the heart of Cleveland's success is Brown's relationship with James.

When he joined the Cavaliers, Brown, who worked with All-Star Tim Duncan in San Antonio, warned James there would be times they wouldn't agree.

"I told him, 'Remember we're both trying to fight toward the same goal, so don't take it personal,'" Brown said. "Their may be a time when I go off on you and I may say the wrong thing in front of a group or go after you personally and hopefully you don't take it personal. We may need a night, and the next day we'll be back on the same page and continue moving forward.'"

They have done just that.

Brown said James' willingness to accept criticism has strengthened their relationship.

"He allows me to coach him," Brown said. "You have to have great players in this league in order to have success. I'm lucky and blessed to work with a guy like that. Without a guy like LeBron, none of this stuff would be possible." - AP

arjay_g
04-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Magic’s Howard wins defensive player of the year
By ANTONIO GONZALEZ, Associated Press Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard is the NBA’s defensive player of the year after becoming only the fifth player to lead the league in blocks and rebounds in the same season.

The announcement was made Tuesday.

Howard received 542 points, including 105 first-place votes from a panel of 119 writers and broadcasters. Cleveland’s LeBron James was second with 148 points and Miami’s Dwyane Wade finished third with 90 points.

The 23-year-old Howard is the youngest player to win the award. He led the Magic to 59 wins in the regular season, one shy of tying the best record in franchise history set in the 1995-96 season. Orlando trails Philadelphia 1-0 in the first round of the playoffs.

Howard averaged 13.8 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game this season, his fifth in the league.

The only other players to be rebounding and blocks champions in the regular season were Bill Walton, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon and Ben Wallace. Blocks were not kept as an official statistic until 1973.

“To be the defensive player of the year at 23 is remarkable,” Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said. “To be a great defensive player usually comes later in a career. And he still has so much room for improvement.”

read the rest of the article here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-defensiveplayerofyear&prov=ap&type=lgns)

arjay_g
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Bulls’ Rose is voted NBA rookie of the year
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer

NORTHBROOK, Ill. (AP)—Like most good point guards, Derrick Rose rarely gives anything away. This time, he couldn’t resist.

After learning Wednesday he is the NBA’s rookie of the year, Rose let a little secret slip: He wanted the award. Badly.

“When I first came into the season, my biggest thing was to get this award,” Rose said. “I was telling you all that I didn’t care, but I did. You really do want this award. There was a lot of talent out there that I had to go against.”

Rose, who led his hometown Bulls to the playoffs and restored hope to a franchise in disarray, was the runaway pick.

“For Derrick to take the ball from Day 1, to lead our basketball team, to play at the level he played at is really, really significant and certainly means that as we go forward here, we’ve got the guy that we are going to build around,” general manager John Paxson said.

Rose became the third Bulls player to win the award Wednesday, joining Michael Jordan and Elton Brand. He received 111 first-place votes and 574 points from a national panel of sports writers and broadcasters; runner-up O.J. Mayo of the Memphis Grizzlies received five first-place votes and 127 points.

read the rest of the article here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rookieofyear&prov=ap&type=lgns)

arjay_g
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Mavs’ Terry wins NBA sixth man award
By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer

DALLAS (AP)—Mavericks guard Jason Terry is the best off the bench.

Terry, mostly a full-time starter before taking on a different role the past two seasons, was presented Friday with the NBA sixth man award that goes to the league’s top reserve.

“The ability to do it, but also the willingness to embrace it, is something that’s got to be a part of it,” Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. “That’s who he is. He wants to win and he wants to part of something that’s bigger than himself, and that’s really what this is all about.”

While starting only 11 of his 74 games in the regular season, Terry averaged 19.6 points and 3.4 assists while playing about 34 minutes a game. Only Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd played more minutes for the Mavericks, though Terry usually comes off the bench shooting.

“No doubt, I’m a guy playing with my energy,” Terry said. “Instant offense, there are no warmup shots. … Jumping into the fire, that’s a special skill set.”

Terry got 111 of 121 first-place votes in the balloting and was the clear winner with 576 points. Denver’s J.R. Smith finished second with 155 points and three first-place votes, and New York’s Nate Robinson was third with 113 points.

read the rest of the article here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbasixthman&prov=ap&type=lgns)

clutchjedi
05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
NBA All-Defensive First Team:
Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard.

I think that's the most star-studded and offensively- & defensively-talented All-Defense team I've ever seen -- looks like an all-NBA team.

I don't recall ever seeing a defensive first team where all five are multi-year legitimate MVP contenders ('cause normally there's a Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest, or Ben Wallace in there) :)

tigerman
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Kobe is not deserving of that 1st team all-defense slot. His defensive prowess has slowed down in the last couple of years. He got there by reputation.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dark_seid
05-09-2009, 08:39 AM
ah ... superstar calls/treatment even on the defensive end?

kevin can't be first team when he missed 2 months of the regular season.
and about chris .... hmmm ... which other elite nba point guard has he been able to stop?

tigerman
05-09-2009, 02:56 PM
^ Amen.

CP3 is the point guard version of Marcus Camby. They both look good on the defensive end because of statistics.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
05-12-2009, 11:25 AM
ROY - Derrick Rose

MIP - Danny Granger

6th man - Jason Terry

Coach of the Year - Mike Brown

MVP - I want Wade to win, but the award will go to LBJ.

I got it all correct. ;D