PDA

View Full Version : From Squire to Knighthood

ESCALERA JR.
12-14-2008, 07:00 PM
From bubbling Squires into shining Knights in armour, kilalanin naten ang mga ilan and name as many as you can recall from the very distant past. ..starting from the Builders and Baby boomers Generation (as far as you can remember!)... on to the present GEN X and Y'.

Lets start with the current team now playing:

RJ Jazul, Rey Guevarra, Kojack Melegrito, Rey Dangcal all played during the start of the millenium (2000-2001) to become Knights in 2005 to the present.

Prior to these, the Y2K squires who eventually became Knights were Ronjay Enrile, Boyet Bautista, Billy Ray Anabo, Balneg.

Sa mga ka-kosa naten dugong-Arriba diyan, tulungan ninyo naman ako sa trivia na ito while waiting for the next NCAA season which is approximately 7 months away.

Fire away!

ilovedhay
12-14-2008, 09:53 PM
add mo si Kirk Del Rosario sa Squires became a Knight.

bugleboy
12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
^di ba si anjo latonio galing din sa squires?

ESCALERA JR.
12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
So...is Squire Kevin Alas soon to become one? ???

What about Khobuntin and Sumang?

The_Big_Cat
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM

So, what is the father doing in order to keep his son in Letran?

paul_theking
12-20-2008, 04:18 AM
pati si bryan FAUNDOOOOO! ;D

Joescoundrel
12-24-2008, 09:30 AM

Others like Jeremy Roxas, Jeff Ongteco and Gerald Tampus should also be considered. While the three aforementioned are indeed the best of these present Squires, the other three represent potential talents that can be harnessed in the college level.

Joescoundrel
12-24-2008, 09:35 AM
What about other famous Knights like Chris Calaguio, Willy Miller, John Prior, Anton Villoria, Billy Moody, Francis Arabit, JP Pacheco, John Realista and Jonathan Pinera? Did any of these guys come from your high school?

Speaking of Realista, the guy is a certified public accountant, just in case there are those out there who think varsity athletes take only the easy majors for the sake of being enrolled.

MonL
12-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Dwight Chua, Ramon San Juan, Erwin Bolabola, from the 70s.

IIRC, Terry Saldaņa was a rookie Squire in 1979 when the Squires won the Juniors crown against the Red Cubs, but he never played for the Knights as he played commercial and pro ball soon afterwards.

MonL
12-24-2008, 11:40 AM
What about other famous Knights like Chris Calaguio, Willy Miller, John Prior, Anton Villoria, Billy Moody, Francis Arabit, JP Pacheco, John Realista and Jonathan Pinera? Did any of these guys come from your high school?

Speaking of Realista, the guy is a certified public accountant, just in case there are those out there who think varsity athletes take only the easy majors for the sake of being enrolled.

Joe, Chris Calaguio was a Red Cub but moved on to Letran after he failed to crack the Red Lions team led by Ralph Rivera.

bugleboy
12-25-2008, 03:52 AM

si pacheco yata, but i'm not sure.* other squires turned knights (from the 70s and 80s) -- jerry gonzales, bobby agner, gracito mojica, danny ala, archie gavierres, the abola brothers, and of course, theodore "ted' mckinney.

Abola brothers Mel and Louie did not play Srs. in Letran...maybe you mean the Bola-bola brothers.

Pitong magkakapatid na bolabola ata ang sunod-sund naglaro sa squires. Among those Bolabola siblings, it was Erwin who stood out, registering a 30 yr NCAA hs record for most points in a game, but was recently broken by Light Bomber Keith Agovida.

Joescoundrel
12-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Alvin Magpantay was the best Squire of his team but went on to Lasalle to play UAAP ball. Had he stayed he could've been the King among Knights of his time.

I recall the likes of current Knights Rey Guevarra, RJ Jazul, Boyet Melegrito and Ray Dangcal spent some time on your B Team sometime in 2004 and 2005 before being promoted.

ESCALERA JR.
12-25-2008, 07:09 PM
^ Alvin Magpantay did not don the Squires jersey...but im pretty sure he was a former Red cub during the early 90's.

On your previous post,only Francis Arabit and Pacheco played for letran jrs in the mid 90's.

Chris Calaguio was a former red cub, Willie Miller was 'imported' from Olongapo ;D John Prior from Laguna while AntonVilloria, Pinera and Realista were spotted strutting their arses somewhere in their respective hs provincial leagues before being knighted.

Happy Holidays to ALL Gamefacers!

bugleboy
12-26-2008, 03:26 AM
escalera jr.,

thanks for the correction. i may have confused the abolas with the bolabolas. re magpantay, though, are you sure that he didn't go to letran hs? di ba halos kasabay ito ni bunyi sa pagpunta sa la salle?

The_Big_Cat
12-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Did 6'5" Letran Knight Cayetano Salazar played for the Squires?

ESCALERA JR.
12-26-2008, 11:56 AM
escalera jr.,

thanks for the correction.* i may have confused the abolas with the bolabolas.* re magpantay, though, are you sure that he didn't go to letran hs?* di ba halos kasabay ito ni bunyi sa pagpunta sa la salle?*

im quite sure about the Abola bros...they were former gs/hs batchmates of mine ;D Ayan ha, nahahalata na ang edad ko.

On Magpantay, im open for correction. Hindi ko talaga maalala kung naglaro nga siya sa squires. I heard about him only when he was already a hotshot gunner for the Green Archers.

Some notable squires-turned-archers were another former classmate Jay Lucido and most recently PJ Walsham and OJ Cua of the Blazers

Joescoundrel
12-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Escalera, Alvin Magpantay naman was my brother's high school classmate in Letran kaya sure ako he was a Squire.

By the way, congratulations sa movie ninyo ni Ungasis at mukhang patok sa takilya! ;D

ESCALERA JR.
12-26-2008, 04:18 PM
^SALAMAT KUYA VAL* :D* Next year, tayo ng VST & Co. naman ang magre-reunion ;D

On topic, other squires who later became Champion Knights were the Ruiz brother(magkapatid nga ba sila???) Jing and Robert and Fernando 'Dong' Libed of the back to back 86-87 seasaon.l

C* 8)* 8) L Bukul

arriba95
12-31-2008, 12:29 AM
^^Yup, alvin magpantay was the star squire of the 1989 "champion" squad. Too bad the title was forfeited due to an ineligible player in the team. Tsk tsk. :-\

May I add Gian Paolo "GP" Evidente. From Squire to Knight, circa early 90s.

Happy 2009 to all Gamefacers especially to the Knights of the Round Table!

Cheers! :D

skywalker
01-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Other notable Squires to play as a Knight
Wilmon Yu - played 2 years as A Squire then played 4 years for the Knights, served as Squires head coach from 1995 to 1996 and assistant to Rudy Hines from 1995 to 1997.
Erwin Santos
Francis Arabit, unfortunately he was the player that cost the Squires disqualification during the 1990 ten game sweep of the Squires due to age, Alvin Magpantay was the MVP then. Came back to Letran after 2 years to play as a Knight and was a key factor in the 1992 champion team.
Ronjay Enrile
Boyet Bautista
Erwin Castillo (recruited by the Blue Eagles after his final year as a Squire during 1988 but eventually played for the Knights starting 1990)

Joescoundrel
01-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Kumusta na si Rey Dangcal? I only recently found out that he was in a very serious motorcycle accident and is fighting for his life. Our prayers go out to him and his family for a speedy and complete recovery.

salsa caballero
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Was ADMU's Gene Afable a squire as well? If so, JC Intal was the first squire to Eagle in a long while...would there be any others?

izon
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
escalera jr.,

thanks for the correction.* i may have confused the abolas with the bolabolas.* re magpantay, though, are you sure that he didn't go to letran hs?* di ba halos kasabay ito ni bunyi sa pagpunta sa la salle?*

im quite sure about the Abola bros...they were former gs/hs batchmates of mine ;D Ayan ha, nahahalata na ang edad ko.

On Magpantay, im open for correction. Hindi ko talaga maalala kung naglaro nga siya sa squires. I heard about him only when he was already a hotshot* gunner for the Green Archers.

Some notable squires-turned-archers were another former classmate Jay Lucido and* most recently PJ Walsham and OJ Cua of the Blazers

Correction: PJ Walsham and OJ Cua played for the Archers.

dark_blue
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Kumusta na si Rey Dangcal? I only recently found out that he was in a very serious motorcycle accident and is fighting for his life. Our prayers go out to him and his family for a speedy and complete recovery.

from Pexer letran_j:

wala na po sya sa critical condition ayun po ang sabi ng kapwa nya knight... pero he still can't move his lower body parts...

Kid Cubao
01-13-2009, 07:39 PM
ok na yun, at least di na sya nag-a-agaw buhay. i think he'll eventually regain movement in his lower body once he recovers from his head trauma and with the intervention of a physical therapy regimen. a speedy and complete recovery to rey dangcal.

ilovedhay
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
let's pray for his speedy recovery.

-insane-
01-15-2009, 11:40 PM
lets pray for rey dancal amd sana wag na patugtugin yung warrior is a chid habang pinapakita yung mga video ni rey dancal hindi pa naman patay yung tao eh para kasing may patay sa letran kanina

Rafiboy_05
01-16-2009, 01:58 AM
lets pray for rey dancal amd sana wag na patugtugin yung warrior is a chid habang pinapakita yung mga video ni rey dancal hindi pa naman patay yung tao eh para kasing may patay sa letran kanina

lolz! nung isang araw pa nga yun pinapatugtog eh tapos sa lobby may donation box pa sa tapat nung tv.

ipagdasal na lang natin si rey, wala na siya sa critical condition ngayon unlike dati na halos yung machine na lang daw yung bumubuhay sa kanya

dark_blue
01-16-2009, 11:14 AM

baka siguro kaya nila pinatugtog yung warrior is a child kasi humhiingi sila ng simpatya sa mga tao para kay Rey Dangcal.

Let's pray for his speedy recovery...

ESCALERA JR.
10-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Squire Mark Cruz to become a Knight next Season.
Huwag sana magbago ang isip tulad nina Tampuz, Khobuntin, Sumang......Intal, JR Reyes....

Rafiboy_05
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
nasibak na naman si coach Latonio eh. siguro naman hindi na siya (mark Cruz) matutulad kina Tampus

naz-T
10-26-2010, 12:19 AM
nasibak na naman si coach Latonio eh. siguro naman hindi na siya (mark Cruz) matutulad kina Tampus

Ano naman kinalaman ni coach Latonio sa paglipat nila Tampus, etc?

Parang may laman ah.

Mhel_Garrido
03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Was ADMU's Gene Afable a squire as well? If so, JC Intal was the first squire to Eagle in a long while...would there be any others?

I remember Coach Gene Afable mentioning he did play for the Squires together with another UAAP star in Alfrancis Chua

Joescoundrel
04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Is Jeremy Roxas still with the Knights? I recall this boy was a serviceable enough forward as a Squire, long and lean. He looks a little over 6'3" but has a long wing span. If he shows any promise at the perimeter he might be better used as a defensive 3 to hound guys like Carlo Lastimosa and Garvo Lanete at the perimeter.

bugleboy
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
^He's in the Knights' lineup for the Fil-oil tourney. I haven't seen him play yet, though.

ESCALERA JR.
05-04-2011, 08:01 PM
sayang ang mga former squires Glen Khobuntin(NU), Tampus(DLSU), Sumang (?)...had they stayed on to become Knights, would have been easier road for coach Alas to shuffle his boys.

The present Squires seem to be doing fine...sino na mga carryovers from last year?

bugleboy
05-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Nambatac and Luib come to mind. Nambatac was last year's ROY. Coach Louie's boy (Kenneth?) is also playing for the Squires -- third year HS na yata. Actually, mukhang maganda ang lineup ngayon ng Squires, what with the addition of Beau Belga's brother. Hope these guys eventually get elevated to the Knights someday.

ESCALERA JR.
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Another Alas in a red and blue jersey ;D! Reminds me of the Bolabola siblings... 5 or six of them who all played for either the Squires or Knights once upon a time.

If the young Kenneth decides to play for the Seniors, magpapang-abot ung mag-aama...CUADRO ALAS!...(Kenneth,Kevin, and Kuya)....at meron pang isa na nasa gradeschool.

ESCALERA JR.
02-13-2013, 06:40 PM
The Kevin Alas era has come and gone, just like the Rj Jazul era ended before him...the Boyet Bautista in the mid...and an even earlier era of Ronjay Enrile at the turn of the milennium.a All former gangling Squires turned gallant Knights.

We are now about to witness the changing of the guard(s) unless magbago ang mga isip ng mga batang ito come June. We welcome not
One but TWO former junior standouts in the persons of Rey Nambatac and J. Quinto.

It would have been a fitting farewell for Kevin if only he would play out his final year as a Knight and indoctrinate these 2 young men as
Seniors. I remember a then promising young Ronjay subbing in for his first game in 2001 making an impact on his very first game as a
Knight. Few years later Boyet took over the cudgels when Enrile left the team while Rj was polishings his saber at team B.

I hope i won't jinx anything by speaking 4 months too early but the passing of the torch to the next Grand Knight must take place. Mukhang maganda ang magiging kapalaran ng ating magigiting na manlalaro sa season 89. Tuloy ang Arriba!

knightrider
02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
I do hope they stay with the Knights. Most of the other Squires to Grand knights you mentioned did not hit the ground running. Luib is a recent example, though he was not given much playing time. Big man Cudal never adjusted when his opponents were as huge as him. Though Mark Cruz did not take long, as he was already a critical part of the rotation by the 2nd half of the season of his rookie year. Generally, it took time for most of them to get in synch and adjust to men's basketball. Even Kevin Alas had his growing pains despite the fact his father was coach. It took two ex-Squires (RJ and Guevarra) to teach him the ropes and put him in his right place (he had an exuberant rookie ego to boot, but then he was really THAT good!). Arriba!

bugleboy
02-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Aside from Nambatac and Quinto, other ex-Squires worth looking into are Aldrin Serafica (NCAA Jrs. mythical five member in 2011), JJ Abao and Anjo Galeon. JJ Abao and Anjo Galeon were team mates in Xavier University's Passarelle team that placed second to LSGH in a Milo tournament in 2009. Back then, they were kings of the hardcourt, but this was before they were recruited into the Squires where inexplicably, they played relatively minor roles. While Galeon may be a bit small for the college game (think Mark Cruz type of small), I think Abao can be developed into a serviceable SG or even a smallish SF. Just saying...

I heard that Serafica has been doing time in the Knights' Team B. Strange that Cudal made the Team A lineup ahead of him, considering that Cudal was his Squire back-up at center then. Judging from what I saw of him during his Squires stint, he can be developed into a Jonathan Belorio-type of player, if or when he cracks Team A.

knightrider
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Strange indeed...on Cudal and Serafica. The Knghts needed a big man after "butter fingers" John Foronda opted out of the team and Datang just played for a year. So Cudal was taken in, also as back up to Almazan. But Cudal is just too slow and did not have the "gulang" of Jun Jun Alas to be really effective. How about Villanueva, the big guy of the Season 88 Squires? Is he still with the Squires or is he moving up? He has shown good moves inside the paint and would be an effective inside scorer. He can play the 4 or 5 position, methinks.

bugleboy
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
^I think Villanueva will still play for the Squires next year. You're right, though, about him having good moves inside the paint. Maybe he can be developed into a Jam Cortes-type of player, eh?

Outlander
03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/nambatac-shines-in-high-school-all-star-game-v02

Nambatac shines in High School All-Star Game

By Reuben Terrado

March 03, 2013, 07:33 pm

REY Nambatac sparked a 25-6 finish to lift his Light team to a 92-78 win over Dark team on Sunday in the Seaoil National Basketball Training Center High School All-Star Game at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.

The Letran star stood out from the rest of his high school class, scoring 20 points, six rebounds, six assists, and five steals, and was named Most Valuable Player of the game. Nambatac won the award over 29 other high school stars from all over the country.

“Hindi ko in-expect na makuha 'yung award kasi equal playing time ng lahat,” said Nambatac. “Go hard lang ako palagi.”

With his team down by five points, Nambatac began that pivotal flourish by the Brit Reroma-coached Light squad with a short stab before Axel Inigo from San Beda buried a triple for a 77-72 lead.

Nambatac rolled off seven consecutive points including a fade-away shot with one minute and 24 seconds left in the fourth to push Light’s team to 88-76.

Led by two-time UAAP juniors MVP Jerie Pingoy of Far Eastern University, Mario Bonleon of La Salle Greenhills, and Kyles Lao of Xavier, Dark opened the second half by taking over the lead after trailing, 36-44.

Dark even had a 69-61 lead in the early goings of the fourth before Light took over.

Reggie Morido of National University and Inigo had 15 points each for Dark.

Bonleon finished with 16 points for Dark, while Pingoy added 11 markers. The Dark team was coached by FEU’s Mike Oliver.

Sam Miguel
03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Rey Nambatac had a heck of a game in the Sea Oil All Star yesterday, but he had a tough time against college opposition in the Fr Martin Cup semis (see related story in your off-season thread). Nambatac is a natural athlete who will have to learn to be a fulltime playmaker in college. Unless he gets a lot stronger, he probably should not be a college off-guard, be more of a combo-guard or become a fulltime athletic pointguard.

Bong Quinto does not have a college position, as he strictly a high school 5/4 with limited range and handles. Unless he tops off to at least 6-foot-3 there is no way he is playing any of the front court spots in college.