PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for future PCCL Tournament

CrossOver
12-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Tapos na ang 2008 PCCL Tournament next year PCCL ano ba sa tingin niyo ang mga dapat idagdag or baguhin sa liga para mas lalong gumanda ang tournament. Suggestion ko i-organize ng SBP ang lahat ng College Tournament ng UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI etc... season (sabay-sabay start ng tournament) tapos kung sino man ang mag champion automatic seed na agad ang team for Sweet 16 then isunod agad tong PCCL para healthy pa ang mga player nasa kundisyon pa & malamang pati mga alumni & student fans nasa kondisyon pa imagine the crowd from team NCAA & UAAP ;D. Pwede kaya manyare ito, kayo ano ma sa-suggest niyo* ???

chellotte8
12-09-2008, 02:42 AM
This has been posted here before.

The players from NCAA who are turning pro are not included in the PCC while the team itself can play, therefore, the teams that will be playing in the PCC is different in a way, because of the departure of the key players of the teams. Ano kaya ang magagawang nilang paraan para maayos yun?

augustine
12-09-2008, 05:09 AM
do the pccl right after the uaap/ncaa tournaments.

and my suggestion is, telecast every game from the sweet 16 onwards LIVE! and on a free-to-air channel.

james_ty
12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
do the pccl right after the uaap/ncaa tournaments.*

and my suggestion is, telecast every game from the sweet 16 onwards LIVE! and on a free-to-air channel.

I agree. I felt C/S 9 should have aired the championship game live instead of showing it on delayed primetime against the news programs of GMA and ABS.

mighty_lion
12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
With due respect to solar pero mas gusto ko yung Studio 23 coverage.

james_ty
12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
With due respect to solar pero mas gusto ko yung Studio 23 coverage.

Puwede pero sa Studio 23, wala na si Sev Sarmenta. And besides, Studio 23 is airing UAAP volleyball right now.

greenarcher
12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
dont give minor league champions an outright sweet 16 berth.

The_Big_Cat
12-09-2008, 04:09 PM

The players from NCAA who are turning pro are not included in the PCC while the team itself can play, therefore, the teams that will be playing in the PCC is different in a way, because of the departure of the key players of the teams. Ano kaya ang magagawang nilang paraan para maayos yun?

Unless the PCCL solves this dilema, laging may asterisk ang PCCL.
Kelvin Dela Pena (MAPUA), Chris Tiu (ATENEO), Pong Escobal (SAN BEDA) and Marcy Arellano (UE) opted not to play in the PCCL.

Regarding sa TV coverage, I agree na kung hindi kaya ng Solar i-televise ang games ng LIVE ibigay na lang sa ibang media entity na may kakayahang mag broadcast ng games ng LIVE like STUDIO23.

paul_theking
12-09-2008, 04:42 PM
-better seedings sa PCCL, some seeded teams are good only 4 the wildcard phase...

-mother leagues should make basketball a 2nd sem event, pra tuloy-tuloy hanggang summer ung mga laro, from UAAP/NCAA etc to the PCCL. ;)

ilovedhay
12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
More sponsors and media hype.

Semenelin
12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
-better seedings sa PCCL, some seeded teams are good only 4 the wildcard phase...

-mother leagues should make basketball a 2nd sem event, pra tuloy-tuloy hanggang summer ung mga laro, from UAAP/NCAA etc to the PCCL. ;)

erm.. wala ng aral aral? ???

nastrans
12-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Participants should be required to have a mother league, and not only that, should also be in a league that is not a developmental league. (e.g. Lyceum and Arellano)

atenean_blooded
12-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Suggestions:

1. More hype. Build a culture of anticipation, the same way that the US seems to have cultivated anticipation for "March Madness."

and while we're on that,

2. Exploit school hype. Inter-school rivalry is full of hype that is ripe for exploitation. The UAAP and Studio 23, for example, milk as much of the Ateneo-La Salle games as possible. The NCAA does it with San Beda-Letran games. This year, we had two of the most hyped current rivalries which were a throwback to the blockbuster hype of the NCAA of old when the Ateneo, La Salle, San Beda, and Letran made it to the Final Four (okay, so La Salle wasn't really part of that mix in the NCAA of the 1950s dominated by Ocampo, Loyzaga, and Mumar...). One would think that the media would go nuts* talking about this, or about how, for example, the Ateneo was facing off against La Salle's other rival (Letran), and how La Salle was facing San Beda, the old Ateneo rival, or how an Ateneo-Letran matchup was going to be a tussle between two of San Beda's fiercest historical rivals, etc. It was not so. Or if it was, it was not much so. The most I remember seeing was a half-page ad in some broadsheets announcing the schedules.

3. Get a better TV partner. While Solar's coverage wasn't abysmal (it was spared from having Boom Gonzales, for one), the fact that the games could not even be broadcast live on a channel freely available to practically everyone with a UHF (?) frequency receiving TV like Studio 23 seems to be counterproductive. Oh, while I've brought up Studio 23, let me add that Studio 23's production value appears much, much better. It's also widely available, which is what I think is its advantage over Solar. I'm sure BasketballTV is great (I don't care for it enough to switch to Destiny Cable, since I'm so much happier with Sky Cable's offerings), means well, and more than satisfies basketball fans who are willing to subscribe to the cable providers that carry it. But Studio 23 is available on SkyCable (which, last I heard, still beats Destiny in terms of number of subscribers), and doesn't even need cable to be received on most TVs. Sure, BTV has CS/9. But CS/9 couldn't even carry the games live.

4. Add value. Work with TV partner and the mother leagues to broadcast seedings for the PCCL while the mother leagues are in season. It really is as simple as getting TV partners broadcast a bit of information about, how, say, a team's standing in the UAAP affects its seeding in the PCCL. Stuff like that. Oh, and while you're at it, have the other college kids go nuts by holding things like a cheerdance competition.

5. Venues. Hold the games in places other than Metro Manila. PCCL got it right by saving big venues like Araneta for the finals. But build hype even in the provinces by holding big games between teams in provincial venues. While this is done, also explore the possibility of doing a home-and-away format (playing in the home court of a higher-seeded or lower-seeded team). If a school's gym is too small, then hold it in some key venue in the locality of the school concerned. For example, the Blue Eagle Gym is big enough to host Ateneo games, although I'm sure the Blue Eagles wouldn't mind playing, say, against UV in their home court or in a big gym in the Visayas. If, on the other hand, for example, the Bedans think that St. Placid's will be too small to host their crowd, then maybe the game can be played in Cuneta or NAS or the Arena in San Juan. Stuff like that. I'd like to think that this will help build exposure for the provincial teams.

bowtoBLUE
12-10-2008, 02:50 AM
more games: a single knock-out format will not do a good team on a bad day justice
more hype: coin up something catchy like march madness for example:
live games: delayed telecast for determining the national champion is an insult to what the tournament stands for

oca
12-10-2008, 08:41 AM

Unless the PCCL solves this dilema, laging may asterisk ang PCCL.
Kelvin Dela Pena (MAPUA), Chris Tiu (ATENEO), Pong Escobal (SAN BEDA) and Marcy Arellano (UE) opted not to play in the PCCL.

Regarding sa TV coverage, I agree na kung hindi kaya ng Solar i-televise ang games ng LIVE ibigay na lang sa ibang media entity na may kakayahang mag broadcast ng games ng LIVE like STUDIO23.

In previous years, NCAA teams like PCU played with Espinas. Letran played without Aban and Bautista. San Beda without Aljamal. All had been drafted and immediately signed to play in the PBA after the NCAA season.

Though NCAA teams have not made that an excuse -- even if it is valid--- talagang malaking kawalan yung kulang ka ng main man mo.

Imo, eto ang problema ng NCAA teams which would be difficult to address.

dioning
12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
allow the teams to mix team A & B players
or allow those who are doing residency to play
like torres for dlsu & de chavez for ateneo
at lahat ng naha-hype na players dito na enrolled sa respective schools nila
para makita natin ang full potential ng team

as for the tv coverage
am sure pag na-hype na ng todo ang pcc
magbabago din ang coverage
whether it be on solar or studio 23

Raging Blue
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Make the PCCL finals a best-of-three affair. Para mas convincing whoever emerges the winner.

Just a suggestion.

james_ty
12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
We cannot blame Solar for airing the finals on a delayed basis. They just wanted to show the game on a primetime slot to compete with 24 Oras and TV Patrol.

thadzonline
12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
allow teams who lose some time to go around manila ;D

abcdef
12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
allow teams who lose some time to go around manila ;D

Opportunity for them to improve thier skills. . . . . .and "on the down side" be scouted by other manila based teams. . . .

thadzonline
12-10-2008, 02:24 PM
^actually opportunity to scrimmage with other Manila teams as well. bchoter(& Coach Beaujing) offered na mag scrimmage USC versus UST pero too late ang invite kasi nga USC tickets for flight back home was already booked

fujima04
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
more games: a single knock-out format will not do a good team on a bad day justice

Agree with this one...

Gawing Best of 3 ang bawat match-ups. Kung pinuproblema na baka humaba masyado ang tournament, gawing simutaneous ang ibang games kahit sa wild card and zonal phase lang.

durden_tyler
12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Just to clear this one up: Solar did air the championship game on BTV, LIVE. So kung wala BTV, pasensyahan na lang (at manood ka ng delayed sa CS9)

A few more suggestions:

UA and NC are the only teams worth having seeded teams. For other slots in the Sweet Sixteen, let it be decided via the Zonals (a much improved version) and the Wild Card qualifiers.

ridgemark
12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
champions lang dapat kasali. pangit naman ang champion of champions ay runner up lang sa mother league. it they think that this is not fair since we have leagues which are not competitive then lumipat sila doon para mag champion.

The_Big_Cat
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Lahat ng tournament champions. Single round-robin, final four and best -of-3 championship series.

greenarcher
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
i think its already clear that weaker teams of stronger mother leagues can easily trample champions of weaker leagues... magiging endless rounds of blowouts lang yan.

a literal champions league will end up with either a UAAP or NCAA team on top year by year.

easter
12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
In my opinion this league will have a very hard time of being a premier league unless the NCAA prohibits its players from turning pro right after they graduate like what happened to Escobal this year. Napakalaking factor ang pagkawala ni Pong sa SBC in this PCCL.

Three leagues are in the way to making the PCCL an actual success. The NCAA, the PBA and the PBL. All three leagues have schedules and rules that factor in to the determination of game results in the PCCL in one way or another.

Unlike if it is the UAAP or NCAA season kita mo ang focus ng school, ng team and most importantly ng community. This is what the PCCL lacks and will have a hard time of getting due to the basketball calendar of this country.

james_ty
12-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Just to clear this one up: Solar did air the championship game on BTV, LIVE. So kung wala BTV, pasensyahan na lang (at manood ka ng delayed sa CS9)

A few more suggestions:

UA and NC are the only teams worth having seeded teams. For other slots in the Sweet Sixteen, let it be decided via the Zonals (a much improved version) and the Wild Card qualifiers.

Besides, durden, Solar wanted to show the game delayed on free TV kasi 6 pm is a primetime slot. I'm sure there are viewers who don't like to watch the news on GMA and ABS and instead watch college hoops for a change.

Mr. Gamboa told me that the Zonals and Wild Card qualifiers will undergo a change in format for next year.

A-boy97
12-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Aside from player issues and scheduling, the biggest problem of the PCC is the culture of college basketball. *Let's all face reality, the UAAP and NCAA finals are the pinnacles of college basketball. *Provincial teams are simply overmatched, as seen with the duels between UAAP and NCAA runner-ups against provincial champions. *If by some way, we get to change the culture of college basketball, then it might work.

As a fan, I was disappointed to see teams playing undermanned and coaches saying they weren't able to practice much(particularly UAAP and NCAA schools).

The ideals of the PCC is right. *I thought the added cash incentives would even add perks to make the league more prestigious. *However, even a million peso incentive was not enough to put prestige in the tournament.

Bigger changes would have to be done in order for the PCC to even come close to being a blockbuster tournament. *Conficts of schedule, particularly with the rules of the NCAA and the schedule of the PBL would have to be addressed. *The PCC runs smack into the PBL and PBA(for NCAA seniors).

The cash incentive is good but when I look at it at hindsight, a million pesos in such a big deal when you talk about the Manila schools. *Just look at the backing of NCAA teams like San Beda and Letran, or the UAAP backing of Ateneo, La Salle, FEU, etc. *These schools can survive without the money. *I believe the million bucks would have done a great help to provincial teams. *Most of the good players are already playing in the Manila schools but there are some gems that can be found in these schools and with the money, help their respective programs a lot.

Anyway, I think the proposed merger earlier this year of the UAAP and NCAA would be better and probably easier to play around. 1 champion for these two huge leagues would eliminate the problem of culture and prestige. *Just my two cents.. ;)

eightyfiver
12-11-2008, 01:13 AM
I can't argue one bit from your observation. The league should be scrapped altogether. It just confirms what everyone knows all along---it can only come from UAAP or NCAA(although it has been perenially from UAAP). The other leagues were reduced to an intramural type of college basketball. The center of gravity falls in these 2 leagues. All the best players of the land wants to play here. So might as well, match up the champion of these 2 leagues since their schedule runs parallel anyway. It would save them lots of money and effort.

It has become a party popper for the champs of the 2 leagues. Whether they like it or not, it somehow takes away the luster of the UAAP and NCAA champs in the quest of determining the one true champ.They call it a "champions league" and yet they included non-champions for commercial purposes.

The champion teams of UAAP and NCAA can't keep their champion roster since the players have to move on with their lives and seek greater glory. This is just an added league in an already congested basketball calender.

The BTV coverage also sucked big time. It pales in comparison to the standard set by ABS-CBN. I somehow appreciated Boom Gonzales as compared to their hyperactive commentators whose coverage can be more appreciated in the radio. Imagine a commentator shouting and being excited in every ball possession. It was an exhausting experience.

franz_inwurdz
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
after all have been said and done, I commend the organizers of the league this year. They leaped several notches up compared to last year.

Let us not compare the blockbuster crowd of the UAAP and the NCAA. Not yet at least.

Kung basketball junkie ka, compare it from last year, at sigurado magtatatalon kana sa tuwa. But in my opinion, after all the hype before the start of the league, the TV coverage held back what should have potentially been a much much more successful affair. Sayang, bitin. Parang bang arowana na asa maliit na fish bowl. Bad trip eh.

For next year, I think the league should demand more with regards to coverage. aside from live telecast, isama sana yung nakasanayang oras na 8 or 10pm replays para sa aming mga mangagagawang pilipino. ;D

easter
12-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Actually this version of the league was indeed better than last year and there was much more effort on the part of the top teams. Kaso media coverage was simply lacking. ABS-CBN doesn't talk about. I don't know if GMA-7 mentioned it. Hardball has no coverage. Even Solar has it delayed for prime time purposes. Maybe Solar should take a cue from Studio 23. All college basketball games are covered live by Studio 23 except for the NCAA on Mondays. And yet they get good ratings even if you feature a 4pm game.

I know Solar wants to rock the boat and show it on prime time for more ratings but this experiment may have shown that basketball fans would go out of their way and try to catch the game at anytime as long as it is important and it is Live.

In the end, I still cannot see how this league will work in our country based on our college basketball culture and calendar.

mighty_lion
12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
^+1. While there are shortcomings in this years PCCL I gotta agree with the improvements from last year.

james_ty
12-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I can't argue one bit from your observation. The league should be scrapped altogether. It just confirms what everyone* knows all along---it can only come from UAAP* or NCAA(although it has been perenially from UAAP). The other leagues were reduced to an intramural type of college basketball. The center of gravity falls in these 2 leagues. All the best players of the land wants to play here. So might as well, match up the champion of these 2 leagues since their schedule runs parallel anyway. It would save them lots of money and effort.

It has become a party popper for the champs of the 2 leagues. Whether they like it or not, it somehow takes away the luster of the UAAP and NCAA champs in the quest of determining the one true champ.They call it a "champions league" and yet they included non-champions for commercial purposes.

The champion teams of UAAP and NCAA can't keep their champion roster since the players* have to move on with their lives and seek greater glory. This is just an added league in an already congested basketball calender.

The BTV coverage also sucked big time. It pales in comparison to the standard set by ABS-CBN. I somehow appreciated Boom Gonzales as* compared to their hyperactive commentators whose coverage can be more appreciated in the radio. Imagine a commentator shouting and being excited in every ball possession. It was an exhausting experience.

Let's not blame BTV. They are more experienced covering pro league games than amateur leagues. Even the PBL is seen delayed and it's on free TV just once a week.

I hope Jude Turcuato and company realize their shortcomings and try to make their coverage better next year. At least, getting former Studio 23 courtside reporters is a good start.

james_ty
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Actually this version of the league was indeed better than last year and there was much more effort on the part of the top teams. Kaso media coverage was simply lacking. ABS-CBN doesn't talk about. I don't know if GMA-7 mentioned it. Hardball has no coverage. Even Solar has it delayed for prime time purposes. Maybe Solar should take a cue from Studio 23. All college basketball games are covered live by Studio 23 except for the NCAA on Mondays. And yet they get good ratings even if you feature a 4pm game.

I know Solar wants to rock the boat and show it on prime time for more ratings but this experiment may have shown that basketball fans would go out of their way and try to catch the game at anytime as long as it is important and it is Live.

In the end, I still cannot see how this league will work in our country based on our college basketball culture and calendar.

Solar kasi still hasn't yet bought the new OB van that will enable them to cover all games live. They are still using the small OB van for the PBA games. Paging Wilson Tieng, when will you buy that big OB van? Show that you deserve the trust of the basketball fans over ABS.

nastrans
12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I hate this suggestion of scrapping the league altogether. Sure, the UAAP and NCAA schools will dominate the league every year but then yung mga probinsiya gutom din yan lumaban against these Manila-based schools at gutom din yan pakita na kaya nila yang mga iskwelahan dito.

And a national tournament is the next big thing that should be done in college basketball, there should be a notion that the best collegiate team in the country should be decided on the basketball court instead of debates. (Diba nga sa Slam Dunk eh may Inter-High pa sila?)

Maganda na takbo ng PCCL (o PCC) basta madami pang improvements like inviting other newspapers to cover it (hindi lang Big 3), improve the schedule of TV coverage, schedule the tournament before the PBL tourney and participating teams should have a mother league and an existing season.

The_Big_Cat
12-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Maganda siguro if the Top 4 finishers in the NCAA and the Top 4 finishers in the UAAP meet in a single-round robin eliminations, then Final Four (twice-to-beat) and best-of-3 Finals.

Teams outside of NCR have a hard time competing against the NCAA/UAAP teams.

thadzonline
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
I can't argue one bit from your observation. The league should be scrapped altogether. It just confirms what everyone knows all along---it can only come from UAAP or NCAA(although it has been perenially from UAAP). The other leagues were reduced to an intramural type of college basketball. The center of gravity falls in these 2 leagues. All the best players of the land wants to play here. So might as well, match up the champion of these 2 leagues since their schedule runs parallel anyway. It would save them lots of money and effort.

This thought is narrow-sightedness at best. The format will evolve. The idea here is to have teams play the best teams elsewhere in the Philippines. And with UAAP and NCAA teams playing lesser tier teams, that would help a lot in elevating the level of competition in the provinces. By doing this constantly, hopefully the gap in competition between NCAA/UAAP teams and others will be bridged.

That is why I believe the name is changed to Philippine Collegiate Championships instead of Collegiate Champions League. Saying that UAAP/NCAA should keep their luster by avoiding playing teams of lesser stature is so close-minded unless your only agenda is to maintain the status quo and not to advance collegiate basketball development in a wider(national) scope.

The champion teams of UAAP and NCAA can't keep their champion roster since the players have to move on with their lives and seek greater glory. This is just an added league in an already congested basketball calender.

Supposedly naman ang academic calendar is usually 2 semesters kaya kahit offseason ng collegiate leagues and as students most of them are expected to still be enrolled by the 2nd semester. Actually pwede naman kasing gawin itong condition sa basketball scholarship. Hirap sa atin minsan, masyadong commercialized ang ating basketball even at the collegiate level.

chellotte8
12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I think this league has a lot of potential as long as the NCAA and the UAAP will NOT MERGE or remained as separate so to speak.

They have a lot of time to polish it for next year's competition. They have all of the ingredients for a blockbuster league. A little more media mileage, more publicized tv coverage and more coordination from the mother leagues of the teams will make this tournament a lot better.

atenean_blooded
12-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Let's not blame BTV or Solar?

Okay. Sure. Yeah, no need to blame BTV or Solar.

Let's just find another TV partner.

eightyfiver
12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
It looks like my previous comments have ruffled some sensitive feathers.

The thing is, we already have nationwide basketball leagues like the Unigames or Palarong Pambansa.

thadzonline
12-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Unigames--->invitational nature
Palarong Pambansa---->I doubt there are any serious collegiate teams here

jones_c
12-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Unigames, ano at kelan yun??? Good job BTV. Nainform kaming manonood kung tungkol sa college basketball sa pilipinas. Kahit mga bulok na teams nakilala namin. Medyo delay nga yung iba pero ok lang kasi may NBA at PBA kasi.

bchoter
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I think the perception needs to be changed, too. Ask any Atenean and they won't take their PCCL loss too seriously. Ask any Lasallian and they won't tell you they're super hyped with their latest crown. I think BTV did not help in this regard. Showing games on a delayed basis adds to the negative percepton. Maybe ABS-CBN's penchant for over-hyping could have helped in bringing the league to the casual fans but some, ok, a lot of us don't like ABS-CBN. But then again, some of us are too hardcore to care about the hype. At this point, the league is leagues (pun intended :D) away from the UAAP or NCAA or even the CeSAFI. But even the US NCAA wasn't the super league that it has become before the Bird vs. Magic (the bias is obvious, Bird before Magic :D) rivalry hyped it up.

jones_c
12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Ok lang naman yung BTV eh. Masmagaling pa nga commentators kesa sa abscbn. Yung delay lang talaga pero pareho din hinintay pa rin. Mas may natutunan kami kesa dun sa mother league nila at ito na dapat talaga ang liga na susundan pero siempre may ncaa at uaap pa rin yun nga lang di mo masabi na sila talaga ang pinkamagaling. at least dito alam na natin.

pio_valenz
12-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Like who? You guys don't like ABS-CBN either.

bchoter
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Makisig Channel :D

nastrans
12-12-2008, 05:24 PM
I think in a weird way it helps that Franz Pumaren is making these "it showed the mastery of the UAAP over the NCAA" or the "were the number one collegiate country" comments because it adds fuel and hype as well.

May konting similarity dun sa comment ni Joe Namath, when he guaranteed the Jets would win over the Colts in Super Bowl III.

atenean_blooded
12-13-2008, 02:18 AM

Like who? You guys don't like ABS-CBN either.

Between BTV/Solar and ABS-CBN, I'd pick ABS-CBN.

BTV/Solar's commentators are better than ABS-CBN's (Boom Gonzales considered, of course).

BTV/Solar also probably has better intentions than ABS-CBN.

Thing is, ABS-CBN has successfully covered the UAAP (and later, the NCAA) since 2000.

Studio23 offers better production value (that's my opinion, of course).

Studio23 seems to be better in terms of hype. One might even say that the present hype of the UAAP is Studio23's fault.

Studio23 also shows games live, without delay, and even finds ways to have them replayed (albeit via SkyCable).

Studio23 is also available for more people than BTV is (last I checked). Sure, BTV/Solar has CS/9, but CS/9 has not been able to air some key games (such as the championship) live.

I'd like to think that things like these matter to the PCC. Again, while the people running BTV might be smarter in terms of basketball, Studio23 is just so much better at executing the media coverage aspect.

Again, that's my opinion.

Is there an alternative to these two choices? I don't think there is one at the moment, unless GMA's interested.

dioning
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
sa TV5
or QTV

atsaka allow the two (or even more) foreign players to play simultaneously
para maiba
at magka-interes ang manonood
kasi kakaiba e
global ang dating

dioning
12-13-2008, 12:56 PM
include na rin sa team yun best high school player (or players) nila
parang noong araw sa ncaa
para makita din natin ang galing at gilas nila
atsaka para ma-enganyo sila to stay with their school team pag nag-colegio na sila

Jeep
12-13-2008, 10:35 PM
i'm fine with BTV/solar. i remember jude turcuato saying at the start of their coverage of the PBA that solar had invested a lot in new equipment, and it shows in the quality of their pictures compared with ABS-CBN and the old PBA home over in ABC-5. the latter's pictures tended to have lower resolutions compared to the CS-9 and BTV coverages. baka rin naman sa TV namin ang pagkakaiba. maybe these new flatscreen TVs have something to do with it? i dunno.

ABS-CBN/studio-23's graphics, though, are better than those of solar. i'm certain, though, that the solar people are aware of that and will try and play catch-up. investing in new graphics equipment (and hiring competent people who know how to use the stuff), and ensuring live coverages of games, should give them the ability to give other networks a run for their money.

john_paul_manahan
12-14-2008, 02:45 PM
so far so good. do not worry. i know the solar guys are taking note of your suggestions, since i think everybody here in general knows their basketball and have a high regard for excellence. it is i think we expect something good. and when one feels that there is something lacking, then we have a problem and air it out.

my 2 cents:

live coverage: this has to be a must. (especially at the latter stages) if you want prime time, have the schedule 4-8 instead of 2-6.

better provincial coverage. especially the qualifiers. i think this ought to be One U's focus. since studio23 owns the big 2 leagues, they ought to focus on the other leagues (ncraa, ucaa, cesafi, you get the picture?)

technology i trust jude t. if he says better equipment is coming, it is coming. it will take time. also getting and hiring the right and competent people.

cooperation this is where the SBP steps in. there has to be a universal collegiate schedule. dapat by mid-october, tapos na ang collegiate leagues. the pbl chipped in by ensuring full attention on the pcc by scheduling tripleheaders on their own.

improvements in the qualification. i think all champions get in, regardless of what collegiate league (how many legitimate collegiate leagues are out there?) as for seeding, let a "selection committee" (composed of competent people - like a lot of the posters here) decide. qualification is based on merit. i think 24 is a good numner. there should be 8 auto locks

tap the provinces the success of the zonals in vis-min showed that. maybe one day, the finals can be held in a place like cebu / ormoc / davao.

us we in the basketball know-how should make it a point to elevate the prestige that this championship provides. i do not how to do it, but the basketball scribes know how to do it....

so there. but not bad for 2008. let's make it better for 2009.

-insane-
12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
sa channel 69 pwede yan

pablohoney
12-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I'd like to see more games by the provincial teams aired on TV, primetime or not.
How about the lesser known teams in UCAA, NCRAA, CESAFI (tv coverage-wise)?

Also how about having commentators that really really know what they are talking about... instead of them obviously relying on those cue cards or teleprompter things... I hate seeing Quinitoclones on tv at that. ;D

And lastly, I think it would be better if the lesser know leagues just merge together and form one league.. and maybe have like a Division II (or even III) for relegation purposes... ???

thadzonline
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd like to see more games by the provincial teams aired on TV, primetime or not.
How about the lesser known teams in UCAA, NCRAA, CESAFI (tv coverage-wise)?

Also how about having commentators that really really know what they are talking about... instead of them obviously relying on those cue cards or teleprompter things... I hate seeing Quinitoclones on tv at that. ;D

I agree, like kung Cebu or CeSAFI, at least may 1 local commentator involved such as Rico Navarro, Anthony Servinio, Randy Sacdalan or Sandy Grumo who knows the Cebu basketball scene like the back of their hand. Hindi yung pretending to know Cebu basketball clowns/pretenders that once did a lousy CeSAFI finals coverage.

And lastly, I think it would be better if the lesser know leagues just merge together and form one league.. and maybe have like a Division II (or even III) for relegation purposes... ???

As time passes, I'd like to see this happen too. Pero for the meantime mas gusto ko muna makita that they create parity among leagues in terms of level of competitiveness.

The_Big_Cat
12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
better provincial coverage. especially the qualifiers. i think this ought to be One U's focus. since studio23 owns the big 2 leagues, they ought to focus on the other leagues (ncraa, ucaa, cesafi, you get the picture?)

Sa tingin ko mahihirapan parin i-cover ang mga provincial qualifiers/leagues unless they have* marquee players like Greg Slaughter or Junmar Fajardo in the case of CESAFI.*

CrossOver
08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
pwede din kayang manyari na me hosting din ang PCCL? para hindi naman lagi sa Luzon area ginaganap itong event.

nastrans
08-29-2009, 12:58 PM
sana more coverage sa print media...

A-boy97
12-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Although the current PCCL tournament is not yet finished, I think it's time to pull the plug. The ideals of the PCCL is great in theory but with our current system, it simply isn't working.

1. Seriousness - Schools, especially the Metro Manila colleges, are not taking the tournament seriously. Yes the PCCL may have mandated to have their mother league line-ups for this tourney. They may have mandated the teams to wear their official mother league uniforms(Remember two years ago when schools wore practice uniforms?). However, preparation and cohesion of teams seems to be anti-climactic. Key players may be on the line-up but some of them are not even playing.

As an example, you don't see Jordan missing the NBA finals because of a minor injury. In the PCCL however, the supposed pinnacle league, this is not the case.

What further aggravates the problem is the seeming conflict of schedule of our National team with the PCCL thus forcing key players of schools to miss PCCL games. I find this really weird because Mr. Pangilinan is the main benefactor of the National team and the PCCL. Conflicting schedules damages one of his interests, which in this case, the PCCL.

2. Support - Simply put it, people are not buying the PCCL. The knockout system should make it exciting but during the final 4 of the PCCL, the Ynares Gym(which is way small compared to Araneta and even the Arena) was barely 1/4 full. Add to that deafening silence of the BBB wherein the Ateneo was the only school in the final 4 not to have an official cheer leading group. Since the PCCL's debut in 2002, it seems crowd support is getting smaller and smaller.

Another example of lack of support was the championship last year of Ateneo vs, la salle. The supposed "greatest college rivalry in the Philippines" did not even fill the Araneta to half capacity. In the UAAP, getting a ticket for this game, even in the elimination round, is as hard as winning the lotto. Money wise, this was a dream finals in theory for the PCCL. It would have been a good starting point for the PCCL to finally take flight. As things would have it though, the game was a flop, crowd-wise.

easter
12-09-2009, 05:59 AM
The PCCL is anti-climactic. People have now been fatigued by college basketball by the time the PCCL comes around.

urzafailure
12-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Okay, whose idea was it to have the Finals played out on back to back days? ???

kerouac82
12-09-2009, 06:48 AM
The PCCL is anti-climactic. People have now been fatigued by college basketball by the time the PCCL comes around.

One factor could be the long lag time between the end of the "mother" leagues and the start of the PCCL. Last year, it took around a month before the PCCL started, and this was following climactic finals series in the major leagues (UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI). This year, the UAAP finals ended on the first week of October, the NCAA finals ended a couple of weeks after, yet the PCCL started on the last week of November. By that time, the excitement would have tapered off.

Contributing to this is the lack of synchronization among the leagues' operating schedules. I don't know if there is due to the lack of suitable playing venues capable of hosting large crowds during opening ceremonies, but I don't see any Philippine equivalent to the US NCAA's opening weekend or even the formal start of scrimmaging (aka Midnight Madness). This reflects how fragmented our collegiate basketball landscape is.

While I have no qualms about the seedings this year, I believe it is also high time that 1) schools start playing out-of-league games and have them counted in their standings; and 2) that these standings actually start reflecting on their seedings in the PCCL. For all its faults, the RPI system used in the US NCAA has been more or less a good indicator of a team's performance and strength of schedule. A non-power conference school can boost its standing by winning consistently over power-conference schools and might actually start getting classified among the power schools regardless of conference, such as what the likes of Gonzaga, Butler, and more recently, WKU has done.

Imagine a school such as Central Luzon State University playing and getting upsets over Letran, USC, and Adamson, all parading their strongest regular-season lineups, then going on to win the SCUAA Central Luzon crown, giving them a seat to the Round of 32. This will not only boost their RPI, but will also expose the school to a nationwide audience. This system rewards schools who have enough cojones to schedule the toughest competition available.

Of course, this will not happen next year, nor not even in the next five years. But this is an ideal scenario. We have yet to factor in the cost of travel, notwithstanding the availability of cheap domestic flights at present, and crowd attendance at games (especially for those schools who do not have venue capable of hosting crowds of three thousand people up). But I do believe that this, plus close synchronization among the leagues' timetables, might just do the trick.

yokiisthename
01-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi. I'm new to the site so hi to everyone.

Ngayon ko lang narinig itong National Tournament thing and i gotta say im glad na meron nang ganitong palaro sa Pilipinas. Im a huge College Basketball fan nung nasa 'pinas pa ako at ngayon dito din sa US. And since naka pattern ang tournament sa March Madness. I got a few suggestions to make this tournament better. Mas masaya talaga manood ng college basketball! Dalawang bagay.

1. MAKE THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MORE PRESTIGIOUS.

Dapat mas importante sa UAAP or NCAA championship ang National Champinoship. Nakakapanood pa naman ako ng UAAP and NC dito through TFC and sa nakikita ko eh parang mas "uhaw" sa UAAP champioship ang UAAP schools kesa sa NAtional Championship. Same thing with NCAA. Kung yung Nationals eh mas mataas na recogniton kesa sa both league championships. It will attract more schools competing for it. Parang dito, ACC championship doesnt mean anything if you didnt win the Nationals. So paano magiging mas prestigious ang PCCL...? here are my suggestions.

- Cash prize. Bigyan ng malaking cash prize ang winning school, tignan ko lang kung hindi sila mag pursige.
- More media attention for the National Champions. Para marecognize sila na THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY. Sa print man or radio and TV. Getting them more media attention and exposure will make them hungry for the Nationals. Lalo na sa mga player na gustong maging Pro, for them exposure will be better.
- Intangbles kagaya dito, like ma aalow sila (national champions) na magkaron ng extra scholarship, can recruit earlier, choose their own schedule of games and other incentives na makakatulong sa kanila next season whichever league they are playing at.

2. PUT MORE SCHOOLS.

Imbitihan nila na sumali sa league yung mga schools sa mga provincial areas, hindi lang sa NCR and greater manila area. Mga schools sa regions I, II, III, sa Bicol region. Sa Visayas and Mindanao din hind yung U of Visayas and U of Davao lang ang nakakasali. mas makaka attract ng viewers. Syempre knowing that your local school will play in national level, on NATIONAL TV diba, manonood ka.
Now my suggestion would be, sa mga ligang nilalaruan ng mga "small schools" as I will call it (i mean no disrespect sa mga schools na ito, just making up a term). Say, may conference or league sa reagion I, for example there is a "West Region I conference". Imbitahan nila, top 2 teams of the conference (or the champion nang liga nila) will be invited to the tournament. Same goes sa mga ibang regions.
Now i know naparaming college leagues sa Pilipinas. So to control this, the PCCL should limit the tournament to a number of schools. Kunwari 32 teams ang mag-cocompete. So aside from the other leagues na kasali, they would get schools from other leagues to fill in the 32 team bracket. To do this, they should put a registration fee for the leagues who wants to join the big dance. And on a first come first serve basis with contract. It's like this...

So meron nang 16 teams na nakukuha presently diba. If 8 leagues from different regions want to join. That would be 8 more teams in the dance. They pay a registration fee (should not be too big nor too small, yung tama lang. Remember, National Spotlight ang binabayaran dito so dapat lang na may registration fee of some sort.) Tapos get 8 more teams from the leagues na kasali na. If 9 leagues want to join in and register, then get 7 more teams from the other leagues. You get the point.

But the most important part of adding other schools is once again National Spotlight. Mas makakahakot ng local viewers. Plus it gives these players from other regions na di nagkaron ng chance na makapaglaro sa greater manila area to be exposed and prove their skills. And it will get people excited. Why? The CINDERELLA story comes in to play. Imagine if a school like St. Enoch of Sorrow enter the tournament and all of a sudden beats UAAP/NCAA powerhouses. Wouldnt that be GOOD TV? Everyone wants to see upsets and underdogs fighting for respect and prestige. That's what makes March Madness ng America special and is one the most watched sports spectacle sa US. The fact na come tournament time, no matter how good your team is in your respective league, somebody from somewhere can kill your season. It will get people excited, in tears, in joy you name it. The fact that it's literally ANYBODY'S GAME would make a basketball fan watch this. And will make teams more focused lalo na yung mga powerhouse teams like La Salle, Ateneo, Letran, San Sebastian and others. Syempre pag natalo sila mapapahiya sila eh so it will make them more focused on the tournament. And that is fun basketball (at least for me it is).

And that will attract viewers nationwide. Which brings more sponsorships and more money for the league to operate in its full extent, and making the league the most prestigious championship to be sought after.

Sana nga matulad sa American NCAA ang PCCL. Bilang isang malakign fan ng college basketball sana mas maging maganda ang mga palaro. Iba kasi talaga pag college compare sa Pro's. Mas intense ng maraming beses ang mga laro. Tapos yung "college feel of the game" pa, yung student section, yung fans, bawat tili, bawat sigaw, bawat sisi sa referee, napaka sayang manood. Sana nga maging mas maganda ang PCCL. Iba pa din kasi kapag NATIONAL CHAMPION ka, the best sa buong Pilipinas.

kerouac82
01-18-2010, 08:19 PM
May U of Davao pala? ???

Seriously, though, a lot of schools are getting invited. Obviously, you haven't read the threads regarding the zonal championships. However, they can't even make it past the zonals. It would be good to have a school like Calayan Foundation make it to the Final Four, but fat chance that would happen if the schools themselves do not invest that much in their athletics departments.

And everything that you've suggested has been in place for years now. As far as I know, may malaking cash prize and incentives ang mga nananalo. The extra scholarships thing is moot and academic since there is no limit to the number of scholarships that schools can offer. There is no recruiting period to speak of, since the whole year is an open recruiting season. And as for the scheduling of games, mangyayari lang yun if schools decide to play out-of-league, which does not happen outside of the PCCL and the occasional exhibition game between Ateneo, SBC, Cebu schools, and what-have-you.

danny
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Over and over and over and over....

Unless we have one unified national collegiate league comparable in structure, form and authority to the US NCAA, any attempt to parrot the US counterpart will never succeed.

The greatest barrier, the self- professed regionalism and tribalism of the Pinoy Psyche compounded by the pseudo-elitism of Manila-centric leagues.

Paulit ulit lang tayo dito. Ano ba kayo?

riou
02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
If only nasunod lang sana ung eninvision ng mga NCAA founding members na maging truly "NATIONAL COLLEGIATE" athletics association ang NCAA, hindi tau sana ganito ang setup ng College Sports ng bansa.. para taung tribo tribo dito walang unity, dahil kanya kanyang agenda walang common goal for national interest. Tulad ngayon, UAAP at NCAA hindi mo puwedeng mapagisa, una bakit makikipagisa si UAAP e ano mapapala niya, si NCAA sisikat ulit at mapapantayan si UAAP pag ganon..

Sana lang the next 50years my malaking pagbabago naman sana ang college basketball bago man lang sana taung mga current generation makita tong pagbabago na ito.

maroonmartian
04-04-2010, 11:15 PM
One possible suggestions din for PCCL is maybe to held the Finals game outside of Metro Manila just like what the US NCAA is doing.