PDA

View Full Version : Red Auerbach trophy, a curse?

tigerman
12-05-2008, 03:17 AM
No offense meant to the great Red Auerbach but I've noticed a certain trend in the coaching career of some past recipients of this particular award.

1. Larry Brown (2000-2001)
- He led the Sixers to the NBA finals in Iverson's MVP season but lost to the mighty Lakers.
- He lasted two more seasons in Philly but failed to make a return trip to the NBA finals.

2. Rick Carlisle (2001-2002)
- He led the Pistons to a 50-win season in 01-02
- Detroit was swept the following year in the east finals vs NJ and he was subsequently replaced by Larry Brown.

3. Hubie Brown (2003-2004)
- He led Memphis to its best season record-wise and its 1st ever trip to the playoffs.
- He was forced to retire just barely into the 04-05 season due to health problems.

4. Mike 'D Antoni (2004-2005)
- The Suns became relevant again primarily bec. of his system.
- disappointing playoff exits led to his departure from the valley of the sun

5 Avery Johnson (2005-2006)
- He started like a house on fire with numerous accomplishments such as fastest coach to reach 50 wins then 100 wins etc.
- He led the Mavs to its first ever NBA finals in the 05-06 season but lost 4-2 vs. Miami
- The following season, he led the Mavs to a league-best 67-15 but was eliminated by the no. 8 seed Golden State in the 1st round.

6. Sam Mitchell (2006-2007)
- He struggled in his first 2 seasons as head coach.
- In 06-07, he led the Raptors to a 47-35 record (tying the franchise record set in 2000-2001) and eventually to its first playoff appearance in the post-VC era.
- 2 quick first round exits in the last 2 years vs. NJ and Orlando
- A disappointing start in the current season despite the arrival of JO plus disappointing losses to Boston and NJ led to his firing.

I wonder who's next in the list? Byron Scott?* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

paul_theking
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
ndi naman siguro curse ang being coach of the year, just look at Phil Jackson. I guess its the coach that primarily to blame but the team should be blamed as well, wala din naman tayo magagawa if the team is underachieving despite the line-up being strong on paper. just my 2 cents. :)

Kid Cubao
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
no curse at all. if anything, the red auerbach trophy only reinforces the observation that as a coach, you're only as good as your last season. today you're up; the following day, your star goes down with an injury and you get the blame. team owners can't fire their players, so instead they fire their coaches ;D

dark_seid
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
don't read too much into the trophy in the first place. if jerry sloan can't/haven't won that, there's definitely something wrong there.

myktristan
01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
it's not about the trophy, dude..you're looking at it in a wrong perspective..every NBA season is a different drama for those coaches..

tigerman
05-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I wonder what's going on with Mike Brown right now. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
this is what I've heard from Reggie Miller while he was doing his commentary for TNT I think just last January. "If you love your coaching position, don't try to win the oach of the year award."

dark_seid
05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
I wonder what's going on with Mike Brown right now. ;D

he's just so enamored with lebron.
he should be man enough of a coach to tell lebron to attack at once and not dribble the air out of the ball.
or he could copy what larry brown did with allen iverson and get lebron james moving without the ball.

tigerman
11-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Byron Scott has joined the club.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...n_scott_fired/

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

arjay_g
11-17-2009, 03:45 AM
I wonder who's next in the list? Byron Scott? ;D

may pagka-manghuhula si tigerman ;D :D