View Full Version : Dindo Leaves UE?

Dark Knight
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Dindo Pumaren leaves UE Warriors
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 05:30am (Mla time) 12/02/2008
Most Read
MANILA, Philippines—He bowed out just as his squad made its exit.

The University of the East Warriors came out of their dugout in tears Sunday not because of their narrow loss to the De La Salle University Green Archers in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League’s Filoil-Flying V “Sweet 16” Final Challenge.

The Warriors mourned the shock departure of coach Dindo Pumaren.

After manning the UE bench for five seasons, Pumaren officially bid goodbye to the perennial UAAP title contender, citing other future plans.

“I already resigned two days after our UAAP Final Four game, but [UE’s representative to the UAAP board Carmelita] Mateo requested that I continue coaching the team in the PCCL,” Pumaren told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net).

“I decided to stay on, but I now have (to pursue) other personal plans.”

Pumaren’s announcement came minutes after his older brother Franz’s Green Archers pulled off a 75-72 escape over the Warriors in the PCCL quarterfinals, Eliminating UE from the tournament.

Under Dindo, the Warriors reached the UAAP finals for the first time in two decades following a phenomenal 14-0 sweep of the elimination round last year.

But Franz and his multi-titled crew wound up stunning them for the 2007 men’s basketball title.

Pumaren, a former star Purefoods point guard in the PBA, debuted as collegiate coach in 2004, taking over a UE squad reeling from the departure of standouts James Yap and Paul Artadi.

The 43-year-old mentor still managed to steer the ragtag squad to a Final Four stint and led the Warriors to the semifinals in the next four years.

The Warriors finished fourth this season. “We had good runs and of course heartaches, but overall, it was a good learning experience,” said Pumaren.

coreytaylor
12-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I think it's time for Dindo to move on.

Schortsanitis
12-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Will Dindo be seeing "red" again, I ask?

jembengzon
12-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Will Dindo be seeing "red" again, I ask?

as in SBC assistant coach ?

LION
12-03-2008, 08:48 AM
There was a campaign before to get Dindo as Red Lions coach. That may be the case before but things might be different now.

Frankie was able to steer the Red Lions to 2 straight championships and he has proven himself to be a winner despite his limitations as a coach.

On the other hand, Dindo is leaving UE without any title and people would always remember the UE team 2 seasons ago which swept the elimination round but was swept in the finals.

Sometimes, knowledge of the Xs and Os is simply not enough.

coreytaylor
12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I would rather see Coach Dindo coach another team in the NCAA rather than seeing him as an assistant coach of SBC. We all know he is very capable of handling a team. But for now, let's just leave things as it is.

lekiboy
12-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I would rather see Coach Dindo coach another team in the NCAA rather than seeing him as an assistant coach of SBC. We all know he is very capable of handling a team. But for now, let's just leave things as it is.

if dindo will be included in* the coaching staff of SBC, it's called positioning and succession planning- and dindo will be back home.... am sure he will get the 1st crown he has been longing for.

wag lang awayin ng red army during games.... hehehe... LION? :)

we'll see...

glock23
12-03-2008, 03:04 PM

if dindo will be included in* the coaching staff of SBC, it's called positioning and succession planning- and dindo will be back home.... am sure he will get the 1st crown he has been longing for.

we'll see...

yep, Dindo will indeed be home in San beda.

Please welcome him home if ever it's true. He is a good man and deep inside he will always be a red cub.

bchoter
12-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Can he bring his recruits with him accross the bridge?

pepman
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I want to see him in DLSU.

BTW, I want Boyzie Zamar back

mighty_lion
12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I think SBC fans and supporters have different view about this issue. Taking personal issues aside (if there is any and I have no idea), for me he is a good addition as Dindo's strengths are Coach Frankie's weaknesses and vice versa.

bossman
12-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Can he bring his recruits with him accross the bridge?

It would be great if he can bring his recruits there. We all know that Coach Dindo is capable of looking for players that can make instant impact.

LION
12-04-2008, 08:04 AM

we'll see...

Hehehe. Hindi naman si Dindo ang inaway mo pare.* Buti hindi ka pinatulan ni Dindo hehehe. Nangiti lang. Iniisip siguro niya itong mga Bedistang ito sila sila e magsusuntukan.*

I agree. If Dindo would eventually succeed Frankie, there should be a transition period. Kailangan makuha ni Dindo yung "angas" ni Frankie. Kailangan niya yan kasi mga walanghiya yung mga kalaban sa NCAA.

glock23
12-04-2008, 10:28 AM

we'll see...

Hehehe. Hindi naman si Dindo ang inaway mo pare.* Buti hindi ka pinatulan ni Dindo hehehe. Nangiti lang. Iniisip siguro niya itong mga Bedistang ito sila sila e magsusuntukan.*

I agree. If Dindo would eventually succeed Frankie, there should be a transition period. Kailangan makuha ni Dindo yung "angas" ni Frankie. Kailangan niya yan kasi mga walanghiya yung mga kalaban sa NCAA.

kasama naman yata si manong, yun ang maangas! :)

benah_g
12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
cno po papalit kay coach dindo sa ue?

biboy
12-08-2008, 12:13 PM
cno po papalit kay coach dindo sa ue?

nanyare na2man.,
dati umalis si james yap nung umalis din si boyzie zamar.
.,now, marcy and coach dindo is leaving.,

Guardian Angel
12-11-2008, 08:59 AM
What do you mean? Marcy is not leaving because Dindo is leaving. Marcy has used up his playing years. Unless what you;re saying is that DIndo left because Marcy left. Which is unlikely.

glock23
12-11-2008, 10:16 AM
looks like St benilde is also interested in Dindo's services. :)

biboy
12-11-2008, 09:44 PM
What do you mean? Marcy is not leaving because Dindo is leaving.* Marcy has used up his playing years.* Unless what you;re saying is that DIndo left because Marcy left.* Which is unlikely.

nagkataon lang ngaun.,

Joescoundrel
12-28-2008, 10:46 AM
There have been persistent rumors that Bacchus head coach Lawrence Chongson might replace Dindo Pumaren as head coach of the UE Red Warriors. Conspiracy theorists might thus conclude that may be why Chongson has more than half of his Bacchus lineup made up of UE Red Warriors in the ongoing PBL PG Flex Cup. AND unlike Pumaren, Chongson seems to like using Val Acuna a lot, a guy many diehard UE fans love to see on the court. Acuna had a heck of an off-season but was inexplicably in the doghouse of Pumaren in Season 71. Also, Chongson and UE Team Manager and Patron Bong Tan go back quite a ways.

I personally do not know however if Chongson's style is fit for UAAP play. PBL and provincial play is way more rugged and let-go than the UAAP, and he may find himself on the wrong end of many NABRO whistles. Also, he will inherit what is essentially a weak UE team without Marcy Arellano and Elmer Espiritu. Unless he works miracles in the off-season and turn John Alabanza, Erwin Duran and Ken Acibar into forces in the post, he will have Hans, Pari and the Seven Dwarfs in Season 72.

So will it be Chongson? Abangan...

sa_pula
12-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Mas OK na nga sigurong palitan si coach Dindo...kaya siguro ganon laro ni marcy sa ue.pag sa uaap hindi makaporma pero sa pbl ok naman..parang si paul lee..ang ganda ng nilalaro sa pbl.Si vaL nga hindi magamit sa UAAP pero sa PBL may ibubuga naman pala..panget din pala kapag ang priority ng isang team eh walang star sa team..lahat pantay..kasi yung mga dapat na scorer mo nagiging limited yung potential na umiscore.

Joescoundrel
12-29-2008, 10:42 AM
^ This is another oft-mentioned observation in the PBL stands: how is it the likes of Val Acuna, Paul Lee and Marcy Arellano are doing well in the PBL - a league with far tougher and more rugged competition than the UAAP - and yet they all struggle in the UAAP? Lee in fact is among the statistical leaders in like three categories and is an early favorite for the conference MVP award.

UE struggled last season to score in tough situations, and yet Lee, Arellano and Acuna have hit pressure shots that have won games for their PBL teams. UE needed leaders to step up last season and yet they collapsed seemingly as headless chickens after bumping into every thing in sight. And yet Lee, Arellano and Acuna have provided patience, intelligence and yes, leadership for their PBL teams.

Is replacing Dindo Pumaren the answer to the UE woes? Looks like.

fujima04
12-29-2008, 02:26 PM
^If that would be used as a basis, then, Lawrence Chongson would be the logical choice to become UE's next coach as he can bring the best out of their current players (except Marcy who will not be back next season).

Regular Grey
12-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Meron na sa isang article na Jerry Codinera accepted na the coaching job sa UE

chez_moi
01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Meron na sa isang article na Jerry Codinera accepted na the coaching job sa UE

Saan article yan?

pepman
01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
^If that would be used as a basis, then, Lawrence Chongson would be the logical choice to become UE's next coach as he can bring the best out of their current players (except Marcy who will not be back next season).

Hans Thiele also.

AnthonyServinio
01-09-2009, 01:09 AM
* * *THE University of the East in the coming days will name Lawrence Chongson as the new head coach of its Men's Basketball Team.

chez_moi
01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Ha?!!! Di pala si Jerry Codinera? YARI KA!!! :o este! TAYO PALA! ;D

sa_pula
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
UE names La Salle alumnus as coach
spacer

By REY C. LACHICA

University of the East has tapped another La Salle alumnus when it named Lawrence Chongson as coach of the Red Warriors which has not won a UAAP basketball championship in 24 years.

Once the UAAP’s most dominant school, UE has failed to live up to its glorious past although it made history when it swept two rounds of the eliminations by winning all its 14 games two seasons ago.

That only made it more painful when the Warriors subsequently lost the championship to La Salle via sweep.

The loss set the stage for the eventual departure of Dindo Pumaren as UE coach and opening the door to Chongson, a 45-year-old former high school player who coaches the underachieving Bacchus squad in the PBL.

The choice of Chongson caught many basketball observers by surprise. Chongson himself was caught unaware of his selection but he was happy to accept the challenge.

"I did not expect to be selected as head coach but I’m happy. UE has a winning legacy and for me to be part of the team is already a great honor," said Chongson who was informed of his appointment last Wednesday by UE chairman Jimmy Bautista.

Chongson, believed to be a personal choice of Bong Tan, son of UE owner Lucio Tan, was selected over several former UE greats, including Jerry Codinera and Allan Caidic. He becomes the second La Salle alumnus to handle the Warriors in five years.

Pumaren stepped down late last year after failing to give UE a championship.

Chongson said he has no knowledge about the term of his contract since it will only be presented and signed today at Wack Wack Golf and Country Club.

It marks the first time that Chongson will handle a collegiate team and he is aware of the pressure that he faces considering the Warriors’ great basketball tradition.

The Warriors won their last title during the 1984-85 season during the time of Codinera, Allan Caidic and Boyzie Zamar.

"Pressured na nga ako ngayon," said Chongson. "It’s not a job but a mission."

Chongson is no stranger to UE’s brand of game. Seven of his players in the Bacchus squad are Warriors.

SA pagkahirang ni coach Lawrence Chongson bilang coach ng UE tingin ko maraming mababago sa Systema ng UE basketball..Maaring mawala na ang trapping defense..Break out season ni Paul Lee..Quality minutes from Acuna since makikita na natin syang maglaro..Baka mawala na rin ang 3-guard sa loob na ginagawa ni coach dindo..Baka hindi na rin matuloy si jaypee mendoza sa ue..at higit sa lahat baka hindi makapasok ang ue sa F4 ;D biro lang..sana makapasok pa rin UE.

gabriel
01-09-2009, 01:58 PM
SA pagkahirang ni coach Lawrence Chongson bilang coach ng UE tingin ko maraming mababago sa Systema ng UE basketball..Maaring mawala na ang trapping defense..Break out season ni Paul Lee..Quality minutes from Acuna since makikita na natin syang maglaro..Baka mawala na rin ang 3-guard sa loob na ginagawa ni coach dindo..Baka hindi na rin matuloy si jaypee mendoza sa ue..at higit sa lahat baka hindi makapasok ang ue sa F4* ;D biro lang..sana makapasok pa rin UE.

i don't if it's a good news or bad news, but all i can say is, let's give chongson a chance. of course, i'm hoping for the best. as for Acuńa, and Lee, hoping for an explosive season 72 ;D. i think jaypee mendoza will stay, since he's already with us.

lastly, Paging Mr. Bong Tan... Paging Mr. Bong Tan, WE REALLY NEED TALL/BIG PLAYERS! ;D

canmaker
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
May nasagap akong balita kani-kanila lamang na kinuha na raw ni Franz Pumaren si Dindo bilang Asst Kotz ng DLSU ...

salsa caballero
02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Good luck to Dindo, then. Stage being set for ascension into the head coaching position? Dynastic ha! (Kim Il Sung wasn't mustachioed so keep your analogies to yourselves ;) )

glock23
02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
May nasagap akong balita kani-kanila lamang na kinuha na raw ni Franz Pumaren si Dindo bilang Asst Kotz ng DLSU ...

Confirmed! :)