PDA

View Full Version : UV Green Lancers- too much hype?

paul_theking
12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
napanood ko kasi ung game between UE and UV and i rooted for UV because of their height advantage in the frontcourt but i was really disappointed with Greg Slaughter, His moves were still raw, even Sam Ekwe was better during his early years in the NCAA.. And opinions on other threads were right, once the defense changes to a zone, most provincial teams find it hard to score.

-dpat naglaro na lang si GS sa Metro, bka mas polished pa ang post-up game nya... ;D

-IMO,all about the UV Green Lancers coming into this year's PCCL were all hype..sheesh

durden_tyler
12-01-2008, 01:14 PM
i do think you have a point but it's just not about Slaughter... It's the Green Lancers in general which isn't meeting quality teams on a consistent basis. 8 championships in 8 CESAFI seasons? That's a good stat if you are living in Cebu but when against quality Manila teams... That's an entirely different story.

CrossOver
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Mag improve pa sana sila magandang accomplishment na makapasok sila sa Sweet 16 atleast marami din tayong nakitang magagaling na player sa South maybe next year more improve team ang makita natin.

thadzonline
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
1 game wont say it all, kaya its really important for them to meet quality opposition on a consistent basis

nastrans
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Maybe overhyped but then everytime they come here to compete, manalo o matalo their games weren't always competitive and close.

As for GS, well he's slow and a bit stiff, but then he has moves that he needs to improve on kaya may promise din tong big man na ito.

Schortsanitis
12-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I think that CESAFI schools really need to play against UAAP / NCAA teams more often. If they only get to play against each other (and at only maximum of 7 elimination games per season), they ended up congratulating each other and thinking they are as good as the UAAP / NCAA teams, like what happened this season.

Even if they do end up losing initially, that will hopefully drive up the level of basketball there up to such time then can really come out and be competitive against UAAP / NCAA teams.

D_I_A
12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I think that CESAFI schools really need to play against UAAP / NCAA teams more often.* If they only get to play against each other (and at only maximum of 7 elimination games per season), they ended up congratulating each other and thinking they are as good as the UAAP / NCAA teams, like what happened this season.*

Even if they do end up losing initially, that will hopefully drive up the level of basketball there up to such time then can really come out and be competitive against UAAP / NCAA teams.

sana meron off season league between these leagues UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI etc para at least magkikita kita itong mga team na to ng madalas.

greenarcher
12-01-2008, 11:43 PM
he needs PBL exposure to go up against experienced big men like gaco, raneses, faundo, etc

paul_theking
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I think UV should try to join other leagues to gain experience so the next time they play in the PCC, they would be more competitive against teams form the metro.

-GS should be under Toroman, para madevelop sya like the Iranian who made it into the NBA, sayang kasi ung 6'11" if he turns out to be another EJ Feihl. (No disrespect to EJ btw) ;)

ankle breaker
12-02-2008, 10:15 PM
if the philippinec collegiate scene can be patterned in the US that everyone has a chance to play the best teams around the country that would be very nice to the provincial teams. let's say UAAP is like ACC and NCAA is the Big East, NCRAA is the Pac10 and so on. we can't wait for the staging of PCCL which is like the march madness of US NCAA. if SBP is really clamoring for an improvement for basketball they should start thinking about it. the solution is not about staging under-16, under-21 tournaments but constant contact with various programs to enhance the skills of the talents. there are so many raw talents in the provinces all over the archipelago. some of them are discovered by the scouts in manila that's why they are to land a spot in some manila based schools. it's not yet too late, time is always there. it's only the way how basketball Gods in the country to come up with a real grassroots program not purely on words and papers.

durden_tyler
12-02-2008, 11:08 PM
if the philippinec collegiate scene can be patterned in the US that everyone has a chance to play the best teams around the country that would be very nice to the provincial teams. let's say UAAP is like ACC and NCAA is the Big East, NCRAA is the Pac10 and so on. we can't wait for the staging of PCCL which is like the march madness of US NCAA. if SBP is really clamoring for an improvement for basketball they should start thinking about it. the solution is not about staging under-16, under-21 tournaments but constant contact with various programs to enhance the skills of the talents. there are so many raw talents in the provinces all over the archipelago. some of them are discovered by the scouts in manila that's why they are to land a spot in some manila based schools. it's not yet too late, time is always there. it's only the way how basketball Gods in the country to come up with a real grassroots program not purely on words and papers.

i do believe that is eventually, if not actually, the plan. While politics is a major, major part why we can not exactly copy the the US NCAA program the PCC plan (with the help this year of the SBP) is to attract the provincial schools to sending their best schools by bring the more established ones to the provinces. Of course, that's always an advantage for the provincial schools--- exposure to a competitive level. We have seen that in the REGIONAL qualifiers this year where a couple or more regional champions were pitted against each other in hopes of really finding the best school in that area. Moreover, the ZONAL qualifiers opened up the possibility that these regional champions can go up against some of the better teams in Metro Manila.

Of course there are issues with the qualifers and which schools should be automatically quallified to certain areas or zones--- but ultimately that too can be addressed. A few suggestions: 1) A longer tournament for the provincial (regional teams) 2) More Manila-based teams, inarguable they have the better programs anyway, visiting the provinces (and if logistics allow, vice versa) and 3) An even bigger (and better?) PCC tournament--- make the number of qualified teams upped to 32?

Again, it all boils down to logistics and cooperation of these leagues--- from scheduling of their respective mother leagues--- and of course the primary mover should be the SBP, which is the official organization for programs such as these.

ryanniex
12-07-2008, 01:08 AM
napanood ko kasi ung game between UE and UV and i rooted for UV because of their height advantage in the frontcourt but i was really disappointed with Greg Slaughter, His moves were still raw, even Sam Ekwe was better during his early years in the NCAA.. And opinions on other threads were right, once the defense changes to a zone, most provincial teams find it hard to score.

-dpat naglaro na lang si GS sa Metro, bka mas polished pa ang post-up game nya... ;D

-IMO,all about the UV Green Lancers coming into this year's PCCL were all hype..sheesh

hindi naman cya pareha ng ekwe nyo na pagdating ng ncaa magaling na coz c GS ay may pinoy blood po, d po cya foreigner....

danny
12-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Come to think of it, who created the hype?

danny
12-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Again, it all boils down to logistics and cooperation of these leagues--- from scheduling of their respective mother leagues--- and of course the primary mover should be the SBP, which is the official organization for programs such as these.

It all boils down to the NCAA and the UAAP. If this two leagues will accept the authority of a national body in policy making and organization, the provincial leagues will follow.

If this two leagues cannot accept to be just members of a National organization similar in power and scope to the US NCAA, game over. Let us not forget the authority and organizational difference between the US NCAA and the SBP. This is key to understanding the problem.

The next best thing we have is the PCCL.

paul_theking
12-07-2008, 11:54 AM

hindi naman cya pareha ng ekwe nyo na pagdating ng ncaa magaling na coz c GS ay may pinoy blood po, d po cya foreigner....

-ang tinitingnan po ntin dito is the skill set of the players, sana lang me big man coach si GS kasi there's a big future ahead of him kung madedevelop sya ng tama... ;)

JonarSabilano
12-08-2008, 05:22 PM

False. All Ekwe got going for him was his athleticism and bulk. Saka na lang siya naging offensive force.

And what's with this "pinoy blood" fuss? Haven't you learned enough from the other thread not to bring that up? Gasgas na ang issue na 'yan.

LION
12-08-2008, 05:50 PM

False. All Ekwe got going for him was his athleticism and bulk. Saka na lang siya naging offensive force.

And what's with this "pinoy blood" fuss? Haven't you learned enough from the other thread not to bring that up? Gasgas na ang issue na 'yan.

Obviously, paul and yyan here are newbies and not familiar with Sam Ekwe. A little backreading in the relevant threads here in gameface will certainly be educational for them.