PDA

View Full Version : The Contenders

yungha
11-30-2008, 11:19 AM
let's discuss other pinoy contenders like bazooka banal, boom boom bautista, z gorres, bernabe concepcion, randy komong bato suico, michael domingo, milan melindo, brian viloria, rodel mayol, sonny boy jaro, rexon flores, eric canoy, juanito rubillar, etc. and these are just the world-rated fighters. marami pang opbf-rated fighters diyan. there might never be another manny pacquiao, but pinoy boxing is more than just manny paquiao.

in a few hours, juanito rubillar will challenge edgar sosa of mexico for the wbc light flyweight title in mexico. good luck juanito! bring home the country's 5th world title!

Kid Cubao
11-30-2008, 03:06 PM
of this group, it's turning out to be bernabe concepcion who's the most promising at this point. as the NABF superbantamweight titleholder, he has the body and the punching power of a superwelterweight. i heard boxing commentator max kellerman remark that he intimidates opponents simply by the size of his guns. definitely in prime position for a title fight in 2009.

edited to add: edgar sosa retained his title against pinoy juanito rubillar via a 7th round TKO. sosa rocked rubillar with a wicked left hook, and that very much sealed the pinoy fighter's fate.

pio_valenz
12-09-2008, 03:49 PM
This year, Banal, Gorres and Boom-boom have all been disappointing. I was expecting at least one of them to be world champ by year's end.

tigerman
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I think the 3 should transfer to Freddie Roach. While Manny should be credited, I think that Roach has also been instrumental to Manny's improvement from a rag-tag one-dimensional fighter to the complete (almost) fighter that he is today.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

yungha
12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
gorres was ok in 2 fights this year, winning over nick otieno of kenya and drawing against vic darchinyan in a fight he could have won. of the 3 ALA boys, pinaka sayang si Z because if you look at it he had his fights he had a bum decision against montiel and had his fight against darchinyan almost all sewed up yet he faded in the final 3 rounds like in the monitel fight. it's frustrating how darchinyan, montiel, mijares and arce are lining up against each other for high-profile big-money fights when you know Z's technically a better boxer than any of those guys.

AJ was overwhelmed i guess by the atmosphere of fighting for a world title which is why he faded. he's still a bright, bright prospect though, a future multi-division world champ.

boom boom learned a lot more getting mauled by heriberto ruiz than in all his 1st round KOs against patsies put together. maybe now he understands that defense is as vital as offense and you can't be a slugger everytime all the time.

stop feeding these guys tomato cans that they can knock out in 2-3 rounds. feed them to the tough, grizzled no-nonsense vets like ruiz and they'll learn a lot more and mature faster.

pio_valenz
12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Actually, the overseas exposure the likes of Gorres and Boom boom have gotten is one other positive result of Pacquiao's rise to stardom. More and more Pinoy pugs are being given a second look by promoters. But it's up to them to make the most of their opportunity. And here is where proper training comes in. Many of these Pinoy prospects built up their records fighting mediocre opposition in the Philippines. So they're not really prepared for the tough grind in the US. I read recently about a boxing observer saying Boom boom was poorly trained for his recent bout, and they even had a friend who knew nothing about boxing serve as his cutman.

Pacquiao was lucky to hook up with Roach not long after arriving in the US. If we are really be a boxing hotbed, we need to "train the trainers" as well, Or at the very least send the most promising prospects to the US and train them there long term.

Jaco D
12-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Pinas will never run out of boxing talent (heck, I even had a close relative who briefly held an international boxing belt for a while). Where we fall short is in proper training in all aspects of the sweet science (tactics, conditioning, fundamentals, cut management, etc.). When Pax retires form the ring in the very near future, I hope he gets into local development of these aspects of the sport and forget about entering politics. Pax's overseas exposure has given him a lot of insight and experience into the sport that not many back home see or will ever see in a lifetime. I just hope he undertakes a "technology transfer" and spreads this knowledge to the local folks. With the friendship Pax has developed with friends and foes in the ring (imagine Pax, Roach, Morales, David Diaz, and Oscar having fun in a karaoke bar - Marquez, saling pusa ka na lang) I hope this turns out well for local boxing.

yungha
12-14-2008, 06:58 PM
former WBC jr flyweight (108 pound) champ brian viloria KO'd mexico's benjie garcia in a flyweight (112 pound) bout recently. viloria is currently unranked since moving up and garcia is hardly a contender with a 13-10-3 record but hopefully this gets brian back on track. brian's a power puncher but like gorres hasn't been able to finish off opponents. he's not like other pro boxers in that he has a degree in communications and doesn't need to fight for a living. let's hope he still has the hunger to compete at an elite level. we need another strong fighter to break the mexican and japanese stranglehold on the 112-115 titles.

WBC #3 and WBO#5 super bantam bernabe concepcion stakes his world ranking when he faces tough kenyan sande otieno (16-1-0) on jan 11, 2009 at the big dome. ganyan dapat ang pag-develop ng fighters, don't give them patsies. good luck abe.

paul_theking
01-02-2009, 02:30 PM
C Nonito Donaire..He's a world champion but seems to be quite under the radar

Kid Cubao
01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
nonito jr. is no longer a contender because he's already a world title holder. a contender aspires for his first world title belt.

yungha
01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
cubao, nonito is all set to give up his IBF and IBO flyweight titles when he moves up to challenge fernando montiel for the WBO superflyweight title. nonito wanted so badly to unify the flyweight division but the japanese champs naito and sakata would hear nothing of it, even if nonito offered to fight them in that infamous hotbed of hometown decisions, the korakuen hall in tokyo. then sakata was dethroned by thai denkoasan kaiwichit which made the flyweight scene even murkier.

nonito therefore made a good career move by moving up and challenging the big names for big money fights. he was fast outgrowing the 112-pound class anyway. bad news is he might end up on a collision course with my main man and fellow pinoy Z Gorres in the near future.

pio_valenz
01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
^His wife is also pretty hot.

I want to see Donaire battle it out with Vic Darchinyan again.

blueatheart
01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
If they beat their respective foes, then I think we can see ND vs Big Mouth once again. I also hope to see Vic dance the "chicken dance" once again ;D

bluebruiser90
01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
I have one prospect under the radar:

Anthony "ROCKY" Marcial. Current WBO Jr. Lightweight Oriental Champion and currently ranked No.11 in its world rankings. An impressive physical specimen as a 22 year old 5'10" 130 pounder. 11-0 win loss card, all by KO's in the early rounds. Has knocked out rated boxers up to two divisions higher than his current weight class. Very impressive boxing skills, tremendous speed, high boxing IQ and powerful with both hands. A former member of TEAM PHILIPPINES, he reached the quarters of the 2006 DOHA ASIAD before running into a 30 year old Olympic silver medalist.

If guided properly, this boy will be a mulit-divsion world champion. He is being brought up slowly but is expected to break into the top 10 of the WBO this year. He is scheduled to make his US debut once he has at least 20 wins under his belt.

He is handled by an independent promoter who acts more like a father figure to him but a lot of big names in the boxing game including Top Rank, Golden Boy and even MP Promotions are already knocking at his door to take him to the big time. Hopefully he can resist the lure of quick fame and continue with his deliberate rise. We all knew what happened to AJ Banal when he was rushed into the spotlight too early.

amdgc82
01-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Cebu boxing in 2009
BLEACHER TALK By Rico Navarro Updated January 11, 2009 12:00 AM*

Cebu - It will be a year of learning and growing and the entry of new faces for Cebu Boxing in 2009. While we don’t expect any extraordinary big event or achievement to take place, Cebu will continue to be busy and will still hold its torch up high, proud to be the country’s hotbed of boxing.

Our world champions kick off the year with title defenses. Donnie Nietes defends (and will win) his WBO minimumweight against Mexico ’s Erik Ramirez in Mexico on February 28. Gerry Peñalosa is supposed to defend his WBO bantamweight title, but there are talks that he may move up in weight to face Juan Manuel Lopez in a WBO super bantamweight showdown instead. These two events by themselves are already enough fireworks for local boxing. If this pushes through, Gerry is expected relinquish his WBO bantamweight belt. He is set to fight Mexican Heriberto Ruiz in a non-title next month before he either defends his title or challenge Juanma Lopez. Ruiz is the same Mexican who defeated Boom Boom Bautsita late last year.

A forecast for the year is never complete with a preview of the ALA Boxing Gym. They continue to be the lead boxing outfit in Cebu with all boxing fans following their every move. And so when AJ Banal and Boom Boom Bautista lost in their last fights of the year, so did the hearts of boxing fans who expected the two to step up to give Cebu the fireworks of 2008. If there’s going to be a theme for the ALA team this year, it will be one of learning, growing, maturing, and going back to square one. Banal, Bautista and the likes of Z Gorres and Czar Amonsot are “re-launching” their respective careers but from a different outlook. They’ll be featured in fights that seek to build their confidence, see how they fare against different types of opponents and check on how they develop not only from a physical side, but more importantly from a mental and maturity angle. Gorres and Banal will venture into the heavier bantamweight division and this will mean doing it all over again in convincing the boxing bodies to consider them as top ten contenders. For the rest of the ALA team, it will be a year of taking steps one at a time and learning what needs to be learned slowly but surely. They won’t be rushing things for their other prospects in Milan Melindo, Jason Pagara, Michael Domingo and Mark Jason Melligen.

Unfortunately for Cebu , the ALA Boys seem to be the only Cebuano options who are considered to break into the world scene and are thus being followed closely by the local fans. The other more popular local boxers who were expected to hit it big abroad will be limited to just that: trying to make a name for themselves but with little chances of making it. Randy Suico starts all over after losing his OPBF lightweight championship. Malcolm Tuñacao and Yuka Gejon aren’t getting any younger, and will need an extraordinary assist to get back at the world scene. The other upstarts from other gyms like the RWS (Wakee Salud) stable are too raw and young with nobody expected to stand out. But this situation has paved the way for prospects from other areas to show their stuff, thanks to the hardworking Sammy Gello-ani of SGG Promotions who’ll be one of the busiest promoters this year in either as a full-time promoter of co-promoter. The likes WBO regional champions Jhonriel Casimero, Ciso Morales, Anthony Marcial and Marvin Sonsona have now made Cebu their base for boxing. While they’re not yet ripe for a shot at a world championship, they’ll become a most welcome sight to fill up the year with boxing activities.

Another welcome addition to local boxing is the Braveheart stable of Vice Governor Manny Piñol of North Cotabato . He kicks off the year with a big event next month, featuring his growing breed of boxers who started out as amateur prospects and are now making names for themselves in the local scene. Not many local fans know Braveheart’s Rolando Magbanua, Jundy Maraon, Glenn Gonzales, Lorenzo Villanueva, Eldrin Dapudong and Reynaldo Belandres, but given the right breaks, they’re all capable of stealing the limelight from some of Cebu ’s best boxers. In line with Piñol’s thrust to bring his boxers to Cebu , he’s also setting up a boxing gym with no less than Nonito Donaire Sr. as the head trainer/consultant. The gym will serve as the training base for the Braveheart boxers and will also become Donaire’s link to his network in the United States . More gyms mean more boxers, and more boxers means more boxing for Cebu . The busy just got even busier. With ALA , SGG, RWS and now Braveheart in place, we’re already booked for the rest of the year.

Another development worth following is the election of a new set of managers for amateur boxing. Ricky Vargas and Pato Gregorio are the now the 1-2 punch for the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines (ABAP), and they’ve already spoken about their dreams for amateur boxing, thanks to the support of Manny Pangilinan. While I think that their main goal of winning a gold in the 2012 Olympics is a little unrealistic, they still deserve our support. I just hope that they get the right persons, complemented with the correct activities to improve the country’s stature in the international boxing. They all have to be on the same page and have the same noble intentions for the country (not for themselves). And for this we wish them a lot of luck.

That’s the whole lot for Cebu Boxing in 2009. As Mills Lane would say, “Let’s get it on!”

Time-out: Happy birthday to our favorite dentist, Dra. Pinky Chupungco Navarro! >>> You can reach me at bleachertalk@yahoo.com. - THE FREEMAN

yungha
02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
rising star bernabe concepcion will challenge defending champ steve luevano for the wbo featherweight (126) title in the main undercard of pacquiao-hatton fight on may 2 in las vegas. abe is a highly-skilled, bull strong orthodox fighter but i think he should have at least 2 more tough fights before challenging for the title. he hasn't been challenged in his last few fights, pummeling his opponents in early tko victories but his opponents were hardly contenders. he might just end up like aj banal and boom boom who were rushed into world title fights and KO'd. good news is though that abe has better defense than either AJ or boom boom and he can box as well as slug. so let's hope for the best. bad news is that he's fighting a bigger fighter in luevano who's a natural featherweight while abe's moving up from super bantamweight (122).

luevano is a 5'7 southpaw with a 36-1-1 record with 15 KO's. abe is 5'4, orthodox, 28-1-1 with 16 KO's.

yungha
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
vic darchinyan recently annihilated jorge arce in 11 one-sided rounds. prior to that, he KO'd christian mijares in 9 and then-IBF super fly champ dimitri kirilov in 5. prior to the KO's, darch was way ahead in all the judges' cards in all the fights, meaning he was just running all over his opponents. he's is now one of boxing's hottest names with his recent string of dominant performances and will surely rise in the P4P rankings.

it's interesting to note that vic's last competitive fight was a draw against Z Gorres, who could have won the fight had the ref not ruled an obvious slip by Z as a KD in the 1st. that's how good gorres is, surely the most technically skilled among the ALA Boys. he just has a tendency to showboat and fade in the late rounds like he did against montiel and darch. if he corrects that he can still be a world champ, maybe as soon as this year.

yungha
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
ALA boys milan melindo and my main man Z Gorres scored impressive victories last saturday night at the waterfront hotel in cebu. 21-year old melindo boxed his way to a convincing UD win over former IBF minimumweight champ 37-yo muhammad rachman of indonesia who's ranked #4 by the IBF and #5 by Ring Magazine in the 105-pound class. melindo dominated the first 4 round, weathered a storm by the crafy vet in the middle rounds then finished strong to close out the win. milan is presently ranked #1 by the WBO but won't challenge for that title as it's held by stablemate donnie "ahas" nietes. he's now ranked #6 by the wbc, #4 by the wba and #11 by the ibf. he's certain to move up after his latest win. i'm impressed with the speed of his combinations, able to throw 3-4 rapid right hooks in succession before closing with a left straight. he's 2 or 3 fights away from getting ready for a title shot.

Z on the other hand moved up to 118 and he looked bigger, stronger and just as fast. he hammered former world champ roberto leyva of mexico over 7 rounds before their corner threw in the towel. i feel that Z is our 3rd best technical boxer after gerry peñalosa and pac, in that order. he just hasn't been able to finish strong in his big fights vs montiel and darchinyan. now that he doesn't have to starve himself to make 115 maybe he'll have more gas in his tank in the late rounds.

note that darchinyan is now #9 in the p4p rankings after destroying his last 3 opponents. prior to that, though, he was outboxed and sent to the canvas by Z and was lucky to escape with a draw. Z's still unranked at 118 but will hopefully crash the rankings next month with this impressive win.

yungha
06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
world-ranked pinoy fighters

1. manny pacquiao - p4p #1, IBO/Ring Magazine jr welter champ
2. nonito donaire - p4p #7, IBF/IBO flyweight champ
3. brian viloria - IBF jr flyweight champ
4. donnie nietes - WBO miniflyweight champ
5. denver cuello - WBC #5, WBA #10, WBO #13 miniflyweight
6. milan melindo - WBC #6, WBA #3, IBF #5, WBO #1 miniflyweight
7. florante condes - WBC #13, WBA #5, IBF #4, WBO #5 miniflyweight
8. ryan bito - WBO #4 miniflyweight
9. juanito rubillar - WBC #3 light flyweight
10. sonny boy jaro - WBC #4, WBA #13, WBO #7 light flyweight
11. rodel mayol - WBO #1 light flyweight
12. edren dapudong - WBO #5 light flyweight
13. marvin sonsona - WBO #8 flyweight
14. AJ Banal - IBF #6, WBO #8 superflyweight/WBA #8 bantamweight
15. Z Gorres - WBC #13, WBA #11 superflyweight/IBF #10, WBO #3 bantamweight
16. gerry peñalosa - IBF #12, WBO #2 bantamweight
17. rolly lunas - WBC #7 super bantamweight
18. ciso morales - WBO #5 super bantamweight
19. ramie laput - WBO #6 super bantamweight
20. bernabe concepcion - WBO #1 featherweight
21. eric canoy - WBO #12 featherweight
22. jason pagara - WBO #10 lightweight

we flood the lower weights with prospects but we dry up above bantamweight with bernabe concepcion presently the only real world-class fighter there. jason pagara is a 20-yr old, 5'8 orthodox with 69 1/2 inch reach with an 18 (10) - 1 record. he's a good prospect but far from being a title contender. previous rankings mainstays like randy suico, boom boom bautista and bobby pacquiao are out.

while i'm happy we have so many ranked fighters particularly with the WBO which seems unusually generous in including our fighters, some of the rankings are a joke. rodel mayol at #1? edren dapudong at #5? 10(2)-5-3 ryan bito at #4? i agree though with marvin sonsona, an 18-year old soutpaw with 13(10)-0-0 record from guess where... General Santos City. he's reed-thin but packs power as seen by KO% and at 5'7 is tall for a flyweight. he can be another multiple-weight champ like another southpaw from GenSan.

gerry failed to annex a 3rd world title but he's still the best of the bantamweights. kayang-kaya niya sina montiel. i also like 21-yo milan melindo, 18(5)-0-0, orthodox with good handspeed. he's ranked WBO #1 but problem is he won't fight the current champ, fellow ALA boy donnie nietes. he could gun for the wbc or ibf titles.

rodel mayol will gun for ivan calderon's title next weekend in the undercard of the cotto-clottey fight. my heart wants the pinoy to win but i feel the undisciplined mayol will get KO'd within 8.

we could have 2 more titles within the year with abe concepcion challenging steve luevano and nonito donaire gunning for jose carita lopez's superfly title.

finally, can someone please get my man Z Gorres another title shot? he's the most avoided fighter in the bantam ranks because people know he won against montiel and darchinyan. now those 2 are wearing belts collecting 6-figure paychecks while Z's out in the cold. he deserves a rematch with either of the 2.

yungha
06-13-2009, 02:58 PM
2 RP vs PR fights coming up -

good luck to rodel mayol who's gunning for ivan calderon's wbo lighfly title tomorrow in the cotto-clottey undercard at madison square garden no less. it's a puerto rican national holiday so expect plenty of cotto and calderon's compatriots to cheer their boxing heroes on. manny pac will be there to cheer mayol on.

i wrote about rising young phenom marvin sonsona, 13(12)-0-0, in my previous post. he's scheduled to challenge WBO superfly champ jose carita lopez, 39(32)-7-2, at mgm grand on july 18. why rush the kid? he'll have plenty of chances to fight for a title in the future. why pit him against a tough vet like lopez this early? haven't we learned our lessons from boom boom bautista and AJ Banal? good luck to the kid though. hope he wins and keeps improving.

yungha
06-14-2009, 03:46 PM
calderon retains his title via technical draw. the fight was stopped in the 6th round due to a huge cut on calderon caused by an accidental headbutt. scores were 58-56 mayol, 58-56 calderon, 57-57 at the time of stoppage. sayang. but then again you won't really get a decision at a stadium full of puerto ricans on their independence day celebration. hope he gets a rematch.

yungha
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
"marvelous" marvin sonsona vs jose lopez, sept 4, 2009 in ontario, canada for lopez wbo superfly title
rodel "batang mandaue" mayol vs ivan calderon, sept 12, 2009 in puerto rico for calderon's wbo lightflyweight title
manny pacquiao vs miguel cotto, nov 14, 2009, las vegas for cotto's wbo welterweight title

in addition,

bernabe "kamaong llave" concepcion vs steven luevano, aug 15, 2009 in las vegas for luevano's wbo featherweight title. next week na to. finally the oft-postponed fight will push thru. good luck abe!

Kid Cubao
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
thanks for the announcement on bernabe concepcion's fight. all the best to abe, he's fighting a brawler known for his granite chin.

Kid Cubao
08-21-2009, 05:07 AM
^^ bernabe concepcion lost ignominiously to steven luevano. at the end of the 7th round, a visibly outboxed concepcion struck luevano, who already dropped his guard, with a quick one-two combination that knocked out the american. problem is, it was after the bell. the filipino fighter's camp contended that abe did not hear the bell and that referee jay nagy was behind the action instead of getting in front, as per boxing guidelines when the 10-second warning is issued.

on the other hand, nonito donaire won the interim superflyweight title from a horribly overweight rafael concepcion, who failed to meet the 115 lb. weight limit and stepped into the ring as a junior lightweight at 130, via unanimous decision. because the filipino flash hurt his left hand in the 2nd round, donaire was forced to use his right for the rest of the way. yun lang, parang kalabaw na sugod nang sugod hetong kalaban nya. even with his high percentage of power shots connecting from basically every angle, donaire said later that his opponent was too strong to even feel them.

yungha
11-22-2009, 10:19 AM
bad news from ontario. marvin sonsona has been dethroned as WBO superflyweight champ even before throwing a single punch when he came in 2.6 pounds over the 115 pound limit. we've been so spoiled by pac's success but there in the fringes are still the same old problems with pinoy boxers, lack of discipline. we've had so many one-and-done fighters, talented and skilled enough to win world titles yet once they get the belt they lose the dedication, focus and hunger needed to stay on top, guys like rolando bohol, moris east, rolando pascua (the only fighter to KO legendary mexican humberto gonzalez), tacy macalos, bobby berna, frank cedeno, eric chavez, malcolm tunacao, florante condes. it's like a trend with pinoys - win a title against great odds, lose it on your 1st or 2nd defense.

same thing happened to pacquiao but he stayed the course and won more titles at heavier weights. true, sonsona's fast outgrowing the 115 pound ranks but he had months to prepare for this. not making weight shows lack of discipline. hope he doesn't fall by the wayside like the others. he's talented and strong enough to win titles in 2 or 3 more divisions. marami pang paiiyakin itong batang to.

rodel mayol is also challenging edgar sosa for the WBC junior fly (108 pound) title. let's hope mayol finally wins in his 5th attempt at a world title, and to replace the title lost by sonsona.

yungha
11-22-2009, 02:15 PM
we have a new world champ! congrats to rodel mayol. after heartbreak losses in previous tries vs ivan calderon and ulises solis, he finally came through. this somehow eases the pain of sonsona losing his title on the scales.

from fightnews.com

Mayol takes Sosa’s WBC belt

Saturday night in Tuxtla Gutierrez in Chiappas, Mexico, Filipino challenger Rodel Mayol (25-4-1, 19 KOs) scored a second round TKO over longtime WBC light flyweight champion Edgar Sosa (37-5, 21 KOs), who was making his 11th defense (in 28 months). After Sosa was badly hurt by an unintentional headbutt, he was dropped again when action resumed and the referee waved it off moments later. Mayol was successful in his fifth attempt at a world title.

Sonsona loses belt, perfect record

By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada

It turned out to be quite the day for nineteen year-old Marvin Sonsona. In the morning we lost his WBO junior-bantamweight belt on the scales, coming in over two-and-a-half pounds over the 115 pound limit. Things didn’t go much better in the evening as the Philippine fighter escaped with a draw over a determined Alejandro Hernandez (22-7-2 11KO) by score of 115-113, 113-115, 114-114. The WBO title will remain vacant. It was clear that from the early going that these were two fighters operating on different planes, with the former champion waving and smiling to the crowd while a determined Hernandez was trying to make the most of his title opportunity. The talent level favoured the tall lanky Sonsona who was able to bank some early rounds over the Mexican who showed no quit on the evening.

Kid Cubao
11-22-2009, 09:07 PM
methinks marvin is still growing so he should already be moving up the bantamweight ranks. he also needs some focus to develop his killer instinct. in pinoy basketball lingo, he's the type na "laro na, nilalaro pa."

mighty_lion
11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Agree. He is far away than what people would like him to be, next Pacman. Walang pamatay na suntok at walang "explosiveness" sa mata.

Nung blow by blow days ni Pacquiao alam mo pagtumama yong kaliwa tapos na ang laban.

yungha
11-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Z Gorres. i guess we're all still in shock which is why we haven't posted about him. he was my favorite among the contenders, a classic stylist, probably our best technical boxer after gerry peñalosa. if not for questionable judging, he would've been credited with wins over montiel and vic the raging bull darchinyan. could've set him up for big money fights vs arce and mijares.

important thing now is he recovers fully. he'll be a good trainer, i think.

get well soon and thanks for the memories, Z.

yungha
11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
methinks marvin is still growing so he should already be moving up the bantamweight ranks. he also needs some focus to develop his killer instinct. in pinoy basketball lingo, he's the type na "laro na, nilalaro pa."

scuttlebutt is marvin will move not 1 but 2 divisions up to superbantam (122). juanma lopez is vacating the wbo title and another puerto rican, veteran wilfredo vazquez, 56(41)-9(4)-2, is being groomed to challenge for the title against a tough opponent. marvin is being eyed as that opponent. i don't know if he's ready for this but if he could beat another crafy vet like jose carita lopez, then maybe he can beat this vazquez. and boxing prodigies like marvin should be given tough fights vs vets, not fed patsies like boom boom bautista and aj banal.

newbombay
11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Any of you guys seen Sonsona fight? He's 19, raw, but bursting with potential. He's fighting at super fly right now, but his height (5'8" or 5'9") should make him the next Filipino multi-division champion, if he's handled well

Loyolalista
11-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I watched his last fight. He wasn't so impressive, but then he was reported to be lacking in training and out of shape. So Maybe, its not a good guage of his capabilities and potential.

Kid Cubao
11-27-2009, 01:31 PM
he also holds the dubious record of becoming the filipino world title holder with the shortest reign (wala pa atang dalawang buwan). ask nonito donaire jr's dad about his discipline and attitude, or the patent lack of either one.

newbombay
11-27-2009, 01:36 PM
that's why may qualifier na if he's handled well :). sabagay, too much success at an early age might not work all the time. pero may potential pa rin yung bata

yungha
11-27-2009, 02:07 PM
i don't think he's done enough to merit his own thread. he should be mingling with the others in the contenders thread.

menker
12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
wala pa ngang napapatunayan tong si sonsona. saka na pag naka tatlong belt na siya na hindi WBO lang. hehe. dun ako mabibilib.

pio_valenz
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I think this thread should be merged with The Contenders thread.

Bennie Bangag
12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
as requested, the marvin sonsona thread has been merged with the contenders thread.

yungha
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
exciting fight card on feb 13 at the las vegas hilton-

bernabe concepcion vs mario santiago of panama, featherweight. another RP vs PR matchup between 2 former world title challengers. they've both fought steven luevano, concepcion was disqualified while santiago settled for a draw.

gerry peñalosa vs eric morel, wbo bantamweight title eliminator

ciso morales vs fernando montiel, montiel's wbo bantamweight title on the line.

nonito donaire vs gerson guerrero, interim wba superflyweight title

yungha
02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Vargas in after Guerrero fails eye exam
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Nonito Donaire, one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, has a new opponent after Gerson Guerrero failed his pre-fight eye exam on Wednesday.

Donaire (22-1, 14 KOs) was scheduled to defend his interim junior bantamweight belt against Guerrero in the main event of Top Rank's "Latin Fury 13/Pinoy Power 3" pay-per-view card on Saturday night at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Guerrero (34-8, 26 KOs), of Mexico, had a detached retina, Top Rank matchmaker Brad "Abdul" Goodman told ESPN.com. He was quickly replaced by another Mexican fighter: Manuel Vargas (26-4-1, 11 KOs), a former interim strawweight titlist who has also fought as a flyweight.

In his last bout in September, Vargas dropped a split decision to strawweight titlist Donnie Nietes of the Philippines.

Now Vargas will fight at junior bantamweight and challenge for Donaire's belt.

The two other names on Goodman's short list were Hugo Ruiz and former junior bantamweight titlist Jose "Carita" Lopez of Puerto Rico, but he was nowhere close to the 115-pound weight limit.

"I guess [Guerrero] has some sort of eye problem, but I am just ready for this fight," Donaire told ESPN.com moments after being told of the issue with Guerrero. "I've always been prepared to fight anybody. I can adapt to any changes. I am ready for anything. Whoever they put in, I'm ready if Guerrero can't make it. So be it."

Donaire said, if necessary, he was willing to make Saturday's fight in the 118-pound bantamweight division.

"As long as I get to fight, I am happy," Donaire said.

Cameron Dunkin, Donaire's manager who consulted with Goodman about a new opponent, signed off on Vargas.

Before the opponent was set, Dunkin said, "Nonito used to tell all the time that before I managed him, he never knew who he was fighting and he would take fights on short notice. He would say, 'I am ready for anybody. I'll work it out. Just let me know who it is and I'll be ready to go.' We'll get somebody and fight because Nonito is a fighter. A lot of guys would be blaming and complaining, but he's not like that. He's got a big smile on his face and says he's just ready to go."

Donaire, a former flyweight titlist from the Philippines but based in California, claimed his interim belt by outpointing Rafael Concepcion in August.

Donaire is hoping to use Saturday's fight as a springboard to a bigger fight against either unified division champion Vic Darchinyan, whom Donaire knocked out in a flyweight title fight, or titlist Jorge Arce.

nonito has to be the most avoided and most unfortunate fighter in the lower weights today. you see guys like darchinyan, arce, mijares and kirilov get big money fights yet nonito, presently probably the best in the 115-118 pound range, is reduced to fighting scrubs. he needs to get a good fight soon. if possible, dispose of vargas, who's moving up 3 divisions and putting on 10 pounds for this fight, quickly then fight again next month in the pac-clottey undercard. i don't know what type of card bob arum's putting up but i'd rather have a root canal than watch julio cesar chavez jr or yuri foreman again.

yungha
02-14-2010, 08:34 PM
now we know why ciso morales is called Kid Terrible

Kid Cubao
02-15-2010, 06:04 AM
^^ he should be renamed "sheik mura" ;D montiel is one hell of an explosive boxer.

anyway, the count is 3-2. panalo sina melligen, bernabe concepcion, at donaire. melligen won via 5th round TKO, concepcion via unanimous decision, and donaire via a 3rd round knockout after a monster left uppercut against a hopelessly outclassed vargas. on the other hand, gerry penalosa mounted a furious rally from the 7th round onward against eric morel, but it wasn't enough as he lost via split decision in a 12 round bout. meanwhile, concepcion's win earned him a ticket for a world title fight against puerto rico's juan manuel lopez, the WBO featherweight king.

yungha
02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
^ montiel's good but hardly invincible. remember z gorres was robbed of a victory against him a couple of years back. AJ Banal would've been a better challenger. hilaw na hilaw pa si ciso. i saw it right at the fight intro - this guy's gonna lose bad. he was too tense, too nervous, seemed pale. di pa nag-uumpisa, talo na. it was no excuse that he drained himself to make the weight. this fight was finalized 3 months ago and he should have been ready. besides, nonito likewise drains himself to make 115 but he's still confident entering the ring.

good win for bernabe vs a highly-ranked opponent; santiago was Ring Magazine #5 featherweight. was hoping though that he'd show something new. wala pa ring jab, puro hook at straight. in short, he's always going for the haymaker that'll KO his opponent. his power isn't even exceptional; he rocked santiago with solid head shots yet couldn't finish him off. and he gets hit a lot, buti na lang feather-fisted din si santiago. if he performs like he did tonight vs juanma, he'll get slaughtered. parang boom boom bautista vs ponce de leon. but then again bernabe has shown he has a granite chin. let's hope he expands his repertiore, improves his D and scores an upset over juanma. the featherweight division will soon be rocking with up-and-coming stars yuriorkis gamboa, juanma, luevano plus the old lions israel vasquez, rafa marquez plus the consensus #1 featherweight at the moment, chris john. there's some big money fights out there for bernabe if he plays it right.

on a side note, is it true that bernabe's real passion is to one day become a SWAT operative and that he's already presently training for that?

pio_valenz
02-15-2010, 01:11 PM
This could be the end of the road for Gerry Penalosa. He's ahd a distinguished career, and no shame in going out now.

yungha
02-15-2010, 03:16 PM
^ miguel diaz is the best cutman in the business and i wonder why he didn't work gerry's corner. he was in bernabe's corner and fortunately he wasn't needed much in that fight. in gerry's fight, he had freddie roach and alex ariza. it was ariza taking care of gerry's cuts. as we all know, ariza's a conditioning coach, not a cutman. diaz could have helped stop gerry's bleeding especially in the middle rounds when gerry said i can't see but i'm ok. what courage.

time to pack it up, gerry. no use taking further punishment. you've had some disappointments like the bum decisions vs tokuyama and in joo cho. but you'll be remembered as one of the pinoy all-time greats, one of the greatest technical boxers ever. with your ring intelligence, you'll be a good coach.

yungha
02-17-2010, 12:34 AM
good luck to marvin sonsona as he guns for the wbo super bantam title vs puerto rican wilfredo vazquez jr on feb 27 (feb 28 manila time) in puerto rico. i'm confident marvin can win a 2nd world title and silence the hostile crowd. if only he stays disciplined and not have to cram to lose weight again.

sonsona - 14(12)-0(0)-1, southpaw, 5'7, 19 yrs old
vazquez - 17(14)-0(0)-1, orthodox, 5'6, reach 66", 25 yrs old

looking at each fighter's KO%, whoever wins, it will be by KO.

razor
02-17-2010, 09:34 AM
This kid Sonsona should not waste his good fortune by training hard and diligently; he gets 3 championship fights in a span of 6 or something months when other top contenders cannot get a single chance to vie for a crown in their entire career.

yungha
02-23-2010, 11:08 AM
from boxingtalk:

Bob Arum: "Everything else is going well. We are looking to fill in the dates for the three most exciting fighters in boxing, Juan Manuel Lopez, Yuri Gamboa, and Edwin Valero. The Valero fight, when it takes place, will be against Lamont Peterson. Juan Manuel is going to fight Barnabe Conception in the Phillipines, and Yuri Gamboa is going to fight Caballero. The point is you've got to make fights. In other words, people say Caballero is a really good fight. He is, and that's why we're doing the fight. I really have tremendous confidence in the fighters that fight for Top Rank, but you have to make good fights." http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=19377

please make this happen. bernabe will be a huge underdog but 15000 screaming fans at araneta, myself included, might give him the boost to pull off an upset.

Kid Cubao
03-01-2010, 09:10 AM
good luck to marvin sonsona as he guns for the wbo super bantam title vs puerto rican wilfredo vazquez jr on feb 27 (feb 28 manila time) in puerto rico. i'm confident marvin can win a 2nd world title and silence the hostile crowd. if only he stays disciplined and not have to cram to lose weight again.

sonsona - 14(12)-0(0)-1, southpaw, 5'7, 19 yrs old
vazquez - 17(14)-0(0)-1, orthodox, 5'6, reach 66", 25 yrs old

looking at each fighter's KO%, whoever wins, it will be by KO.

spot on. it's vazquez who won via a 4th round KO when knucklehead marvin sonsona pulled a rope-a-dope, only to get the wind knocked out of his system with a vicious body blow from vazquez. he then dropped his guard that led to a stiff right straight that rocked sonsona's head way back, which set vazquez up for another body blow that dropped sonsona for good.

unsolicited advice for marvin sonsona:

1. lose those ugly white socks. ang pangit talaga.
2. go back to boxing school. learn to box, instead of being a bar brawler looking to land that big left.
3. kung magpapatama ka, siguraduhin mo namang kaya mong tanggapin ang hataw ng kalaban mo. don't ever pull that rope-a-dope again.

bad, bad loss for sonsona.

yungha
03-01-2010, 11:14 AM
these young pinoy fighters hate to box, everyone wants to be like manny, trying to land that haymaker for that spectacular KO. nawawala na yung basics like footwork, the jab, the feint, etc. marvin could have jabbed vazquez silly with that long reach but as sev sarmenta wisely put it, he fought small.

in his younger years, manny could get away with terrible fundamentals because he had 1-punch KO power. he could be way behind on pts and one punch could turn the tide. none of these younger guys have that, not bernabe, not AJ, not boom boom, not even our world champs nietes, mayol and donaire. nonito's the closest but even he recognizes he needs to systematically break his opponent down before gunning for the KO.

bottom line, marvin's still immature, mentally and physically. he caught vazquez with a solid left to the jaw in the 1st. the fact that the puerto rican didn't even wobble seemed to shake marvin's confidence. within 2 yrs the kid will grow into his body and he'll be a beast at 122, not like manny who destroyed opponents within 3 rounds but a luisito espinosa-type who'd pile up points then gun for a late KO.

that is, as Kid Cubao said, if he goes back to boxing school and learn to box.

yungha
03-01-2010, 11:29 AM
another thing about our fighters is that they turn pro early, sometimes as early as 14 by lying about their age like manny did. i think it would help to fight as an amateur first, get some international exposure, get exposed to different styles, master the fundamentals. that way you don't get intimidated when you first travel abroad and face your first foreign opponent.

floyd, pernell whitaker, dela hoya, sugar ray leonard all had close to 200 fights as amateurs. amateur fights aren't as hard on your body since they're shorter and you wear headgear. now the next wave of stars like nonito, amir khan, juanma lopez and the cubans rigondeaux and gamboa bring their illustrious amateur careers to the pro circuit.

ang sama kasi ng pamamalakad ng abap which is why the top young prospects just turn pro kahit hilaw pa. hopefully the system will improve under MVP and ed picson and aside from our boys winning more medals in the asian games and olympics, they'll be more polished once they turn pro at 22 or 23.

Kid Cubao
03-01-2010, 12:09 PM
tama. iba rin kasi ang overall orientation sa amateur boxing. for instance, in amateur boxing, a knockdown and a clean jab earn the same number of points--one. for a punch to count, it must land on the white part of the glove, and that at least three out of four ringside judges must click on their respective electronic clickers. amateur boxing therefore relies on a point scoring system, not a 10-point must system which is more subjective. it emphasizes technique and precision, kasi pupuntosan ka lang nang pupuntosan ng kalaban kung ang habol mo'y bumato ng suntok na kasama ang buong barangay ;D

yungha
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
featherweight michael farenas, 27(24)-2-3, will fight american journeyman joe morales, 20(4)-13-0, in the undercard of pac-clottey. looks like an easy winnable fight for michael, maybe a tuneup for a fight against a contender later this year. 24 KOs in 32 fights is a 75% KO rate, this kid's got power.

yungha
03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
an agreement has supposedly been reached for a rematch between nonito donaire and vic darchinyan at the home depot center in LA on august 7. vic will stake his wba and wbc superfly titles. nonito tore vic a new asshole the last time they met, decking the armenian with a left cross that left him doing the chicken dance, in a sequence voted the 2007 knockout of the year.

since then, though, nonito's career has stagnated (due to poor management, imo) while vic's has rocketed. nonito faced luis maldonado, moruti mthalane, raul martinez, rafael concepcion and manuel vargas, one lemon after another. vic on the other hand has faced z gorrez, dimitri kirilov, christian mijares, jorge arce, joseph king kong agbeko and rodrigo guerrero. he dominated each of these world-class fighters except for z against whom he escaped with a draw, and a loss against agbeko when he moved up in weight trying to win a 4th title.

it'll be tougher for nonito this time because he hasn't been tested the past 2 years compared to vic who's kept sharp, and vic's chin has gotten stronger. i figure nonito by UD, with 1 or 2 flash KD's in the middle rounds.

addendum - vic lost to joseph king kong agbeko in a bid for the latter's IBF bantamweight title. i didn't put king kong in quotation marks because that's really part of his name, says so on his birth certificate and passport. there really are only a handful of professions you can excel and be respected in if you're name is King Kong.

Kid Cubao
04-18-2010, 07:40 AM
drian "gintong kamao" francisco pummels panamanian ricardo nunez to submission en route to a 5th round TKO in their main bout at the ynares sports center to retain his WBA international super flyweight title. the win set up francisco to a showdown between him and the winner of the hugo cazares-noubo nashiro encounter. nunez was never really in the fight as francisco dropped the panamanian in the 1st round with a left hook. nunez did all he can to fight back, but francisco was relentless.

mighty_lion
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Loved the way he knocked down Nunez. At age of 22 malayo pa mararating nyan. But looking at the fight Danny Francisco is too raw for international pro boxing. Francisco has to learn how to box. He has no defense at all. Footwork is raw. Head, shoulder and body movement has coordination. The worst part, tumitelegraph sya pagsusuntok.

His power reminds me of Luisito "Lindol" Espinosa. Strong but not enough to KO an opponent with single punch.

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2010, 10:12 AM
^Ang tindi ng left hook ni Drian Francisco. Ilang beses niya tinamaan si Nunez nun at halos umikot ng 360 degrees ang ulo.

yungha
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
His power reminds me of Luisito "Lindol" Espinosa. Strong but not enough to KO an opponent with single punch.

my thoughts exactly. he's an intelligent fighter like luisito, the original golden boy. others in this mold are z gorres, and the up-and-coming milan melindo.

bernabe concepcion, aj banal and boom boom bautista have greater knockout power but are deficient in boxing skills, movement and defense.

i'm not too optimistic though if any of these guys can win world titles at this point. they have a lot they need to improve on.

nonito has both power and skills, and among the contenders seems the only one with a good shot at getting a title within the year.

wala pa ring up-and-coming young fighter with the raw power of a manny pacquiao. i like skilled fighters but i love watching brawlers go all out gunning for a quick KO. i thought marvin sonsona was it but he turned out to be a one hit wonder.

Kid Cubao
04-19-2010, 06:42 PM
^^ honestly, i believe that if it can be arranged, we should have these fighters take boot camp under the watch of legendary boxing trainer nacho beristain. we need a coach of his caliber to fine tune their biomechanics and most especially their fundamentals. in my book, he is the bridge between the cuban school of boxing and the freddie roach system of controlled KO mayhem.

yungha
05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
michael domingo damn near killed luis melendez of colombia, scoring a 3rd round KO. he's being groomed to challenge IBF bantamweight champ yonnhy perez, also of colombia. tingin ko kaya niya yun.

bernabe concepcion will challenge wbo featherweight champ juanma lopez on july 10. as if that weren't a formidable enough task, the fight will be held in puerto rico. bernabe's strong, i like him, but he's in way over his head on this one. if only he had better defense and his punches didn't swing too wide.

nonito donaire, again, fails to secure a rematch with darchinyan. kalimutan na si darchinyan kasi bakla naman yan. before we know it nonito would have wasted the prime of his career battling club-level fighters while guys he can easily beat like montiel, rafa marquez and arce get the big money fights. nonito truly is one of the worst managed fighters of our time. arum needs to get this guy better fights.

lastly, denver cuello lost by DQ to to juan hernandez of mexico in mexico. winner would've faced the wbc minimumweight champ from thailand. cuello was reportedly dominating the fight, dropped hernandez in the 3rd, the ref didn't step in, and cuello threw one more punch as his opponent was already down. there are no videos on youtube so we can't say for sure.

seems we have plenty of good prospects in the lighter weights. hopefully we can secure another title or 2 this year.

yungha
06-10-2010, 12:16 PM
good news is that bernabe concepcion will again challenge for a world title on july 10. bad news is that it's against juanma lopez, one of the top young fighters in the game with bombs in his fists. more bad news is that the fight will be in puerto rico. it'll be a huge, huge upset i think if bernabe wins. otherwise, realistically we're looking at a bad knockout loss here.

sayang talaga yung laban ni bernabe vs luevano, where we could have won the wbo title. the fight's momentum was swinging his way when he snuck in that punch after the bell and luevano pretended he couldn't stand up anymore. he could've been a world champ then and there. now there's no way luevano will fight him again.

Kid Cubao
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
all we can do is pray for bernabe to prepare well for the fight of his life. juanma lopez is practically tito trinidad in his heyday. they even look alike.

theunderdog
07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
hey guys.

I'm giving away two ringside tickets to the boxing at the bay 4 card featuring Brian Viloria. Please visit http://underdogboxing.wordpress.com/ to join. ;D

yungha
07-14-2010, 05:26 PM
link - http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=592831&publicationSubCategoryId=69

excerpt:

“I don’t have a wish list,” said Viloria. “I’ll fight any one of the champions – Pongsaklek, Kameda, Miranda or Moruti. I’ll do one more tune-up then I’ll be ready.”

Viloria, the Hawaiian Punch, referred to WBC titlist Pongsaklek Wonjongkam of Thailand, WBA champion Daiki Kameda of Japan, WBO king Julio Cesar Miranda of Mexico and IBF ruler Moruti Mthalane of South Africa.

Miranda, 30, claimed the vacant WBO throne by knocking out Filipino Richie Mepranum in the fifth round in Puebla, Mexico, last month. Pongsaklek, 32, is considered the “dean” of flyweight titleholders. The Thai reigned from 2001 to 2007, turning back 17 straight challengers, and is now on his second term, regaining the belt via a majority decision over Koki Kameda last March. Pongsaklek is widely known for knocking out Filipino Lito Sisnorio who died from head injuries less than 24 hours after their bout in 2007.

FYI it was chatchai sasakul who knocked out lito sisnorio, not wongjongkam.

yungha
12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
what a performance by nonito donaire. he totally dominated wladimir sidorenko of ukraine. sidorenko is no tomato can, having been a former wba bantamweight champ. and he's fought at bantam his entire career as opposed to nonito who moved up in weight from superfly. yet it was nonito who looked bigger and stronger on fight night. in fact he looked much bigger. with his speed, power and class he can totally clean up the division.

i'm not too comfortable with robert garcia as his trainer though. the guy instructed nonito to "take it easy, you have him. you can take him out with one punch." what kind of trainer instructs his ward to take it easy? even if you can take out a guy you need to keep throwing combinations, stay active, keep the opponent guessing. you can't always look for that one-punch knockout.

then again, this is the same trainer who assured margarito that manny pacquiao "can't hurt you" and allowed margo to continue fighting rounds 11 and 12. he was also brian viloria's trainer when the hawaiian punch lost his ibf lightfly title to carlos tamara.

yungha
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
what a comeback by rey boom boom bautista. i really thought he was done as a world title threat after 2 bad losses to daniel ponce de leon and heriberto ruiz. it seemed his record and high KO% was a result of being fed tomato cans as opponents early in his career. when it came to fight tough, grizzled vets, his inability to box was exposed. last saturday though he showed an active, stiff left jab that caused a lot of damage. it still remains to be seen if he can be a contender again but he's maturing and getting physically tougher. and at 24, he has plenty of time to ready himself for another title shot.

easter
02-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Boom Boom was also patient in this fight and yes he does indeed has plenty of time. The most important thing is that he is going in the right direction.

yungha
02-12-2012, 12:58 AM
21 year-old cebuano johnriel casimero just won the interim IBF lightfly title, beating argentine thug luis lazarte in buenos aires via 10th round TKO. is it just me or are there too many world titles being thrown around these days. back in the day if you were a champ you were badass. now there are 4 titles per division, with regular champs and interim champs and with the WBA even having super champs. it's ridiculous.

not to take anything away from casimero, though. another champ to be proud of. at 21, he's got a bright future ahead of him.

sadly, though, a riot ensued after the match from sore loser argentine fans. mga lasing daw. our boy got away by hiding under the apron. here's a rather disturbing clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GlprxungB4c

yungha
02-12-2012, 01:03 AM
the newscast of the riot - http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/video-riot-breaks-out-after-ibf-title-match-107929. can anyone translate the spanish commentary?

bchoter
08-06-2012, 01:59 AM
^ Casimero defended his IBF crown via a split decision over Pedro (?) Guerrero of Mexico. Johnriel dropped the challenger in the first round but wasn't able to put him away. Guerrero showed some good foot work giving Casimero a moving target. It's back to the drawing board for tha champ and learn how to cut the ring.

bchoter
08-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Another Pinoy contender, Mercito "No Mercy" Gesta, was the FNF main event and he didn't disappoint, beating Ty Barnett by TKO in the 9th round. Here's the fight link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_a8QyFrjA

yungha
07-31-2013, 02:23 PM
it's been a bad last couple of weeks for our contenders. two contenders who i felt were our best prospects and ripe for world title shots, denver cuello and milan melindo, lost their world title bids. cuello was really unfortunate because he fought Xiong Zhao Zhong with one good hand due to a torn rotator cuff on his dominant hand no less. a healthy cuello would have probably knocked zhong out and even with his injury, denver only lost by a close decision.

matagal nang iniiwasan si denver ng mga title holders which is why he pushed thru with the fight despite his injury. hopefully the wbc will give him a much-deserved rematch.

as for melindo, now that was definitely disappointing. wala yung speed, wala yung movement, wala yung power. maybe the pressure got to him or maybe estrada just plain exposed him. either way, melindo has to improve on his skill, technique and conditioning if he wants to be world champ. at least now he has a title shot experience under his belt.

AnthonyServinio
03-10-2018, 01:51 PM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/img_20180307_144120.jpg?w=225&h=300 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2018/03/10/dasmarinas-newest-pinoy-boxing-idol/)

PREPARATIONS ARE in full swing for top Filipino Boxing prospect Michael "Hot 'N Spicy" Dasmarinas for his upcoming fight against Karim Guerfi of France for the International Boxing Organization (IBO) World Bantamweight crown this April 20 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium as part of Roar Of Singapore IV – Night of Champions of Ringstar Boxing. Recently, the pride of Pili, Camarines Sur displayed his strength and skills in a public workout held at the plush Kerry Sports inside Shangri-La At The Fort in Taguig City. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2018/03/10/dasmarinas-newest-pinoy-boxing-idol/)