PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the 1993-1997 SSC-R days....

pepman
11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Hello there!

Remember the days SSC-R Stags were on top for 5 consecutive years. Now here are the notable players during that historical run:
* Rodney Santos
* Jesse Bardaje
* Brixtrer Encarnacion
* Rommel Adducul
* Aramis Calpito
* Jasper Ocampo
* Ulysses Tanigue
* Rommel Daep
* Topex Robinson
* Alvin Pua
* Mark Macapagal
* Jerome Barbosa

Ofcourse, their notable coach is Turo Valenzona with Bay Cristobal and Eric Gascon assisting him. But in 1997, due to that Pop Cola hired Valenzona, Cristobal took over his chores and swept a season! (12-0)

Notable finals opponents:
* Mapua (1993-1994)
* San Beda (1996-1997)

Yung 1995, di ko maalaala.

Now, please post your memories about this magical run.

Emon74
12-01-2008, 07:52 AM
They sweep Mapua 2-0 in the 1995 Finals.

sa NCAA pag na sweep ang two round robin, automatic kampeon na kaya SSC for instance wala nang finals opponent, they would win its last elimination round assignment (or even lose if they already clinched the title ahead of the last playdate)

Joescoundrel
12-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Rommel Adducul was simply unstoppable and peerless in this era. Then he made the end-run all the way to the Manila Metrostars of the MBA.

Emon74
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
In 1993, The Game between First Round champion and undefeated San Sebastian and Letran at the close of the first round of eliminations.

Referee Cenon buenaventura commited a big boo boo in the closing seconds. with the score tied at 82 with 13 seconds left in the game, SSC's Aldrin Morante harrassed and tapped the ball away from Letran court general Francis Arabit near the midcourt, Arabit was downed on the floor and apparently pulled the left leg of Morante preventing the San Sebestian shifty point guard from retrieving the ball. instead of calling an intentional foul on Arabit, Buenaventura quickly blew his whistle giving Letran ball possesion to the horror of enthusiastic, wildly cheering crowd of 10,000 at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
In the ensuing play, Arabit received a pass from the harrassed Paul Guerrero, then beat the buzzer with a jumper from the left wing, giving the defending champion Knights the win and denying the Stags from sweeping the first round pennant.
actually, there was nothing at stake in the game as San Sebestian had already clinched the first round flag following a 77-76 conquest of San Beda, it was Ironic however that the Referee who pounded the final nail on San Sebestian's first defeat was Valenzona's former player at Trinity College. a former NCAA member which quit the league in the 80s.

Emon74
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
73rd NCAA
High five for the Partying Stags
October 1997

The Recto-based Recoletos quintet faced the same San Beda Red Lions, a team that had been trying to put a stop to San Sebastian's drive-for-five battlecry. But sadly, the Red Lions failed, and miserably at that, as the Stags swallowed San Beda, 84-72 last October 6 to capture their fifth straight NCAA men's basketball crown at the overflow Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The Red Lions bowed to the awesome Stags last year, 2-0 in their best-of-three series as the pressure of ending a 19-year title-drought took its toll again on them.
Arturo "Bay" Cristobal, who assumed the head coaching job this season for San Sebastian, said a chance to continuously rewriting history is at hand. "That has been motivating the team this year. Lagi kong nire-remind sa kanila na this is the chance for us to again be part of another NCAA history," said Cristobal, whose team lost only a total of six times since winning the title in 1993.
As usual, setting the pace for the Stags were no other than Most Valuable Player Rommel Adducul and pintsized guards Jasper Ocampo and Ulysses Tanigue, who dished off devastating performances that terrorized the Red Lions.
"Next year, we'll go for our sixth straight title," vowed Cristobal, who won't have Tanigue, Brixter Encarnacion and Rommel Daep on his team anymore after they have completed their five-year tenure in the NCAA.

Joescoundrel
08-03-2011, 09:48 AM
^ Who were on the Mapua and San Beda teams that Adducul and Company beat...?

Mel
08-03-2011, 10:06 AM
center for that 1997 San Beda team was Dino Manuel. It also had Kerwin McKoy and Ralph Rivera. Ato Morano was also part of San Beda a little earlier.

Joescoundrel
08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
^ Mel, I take it then that Rency Bajar was also on this San Beda roster?

The_Big_Cat
08-03-2011, 12:40 PM
^Yup Joe. Bajar was on that San Beda team. If I'm not mistaken Bajar and Rivera played for the Red Lions from 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997. Renato "Ato" Morano played from 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995.

To stay on topic, I believe Rommel Adducul was the only player to have played in that 5 consecutive championship teams. Adducul is one of 3 players I know who at least won four consecutive NCAA/UAAP titles. The other two being Chris Cantojos (4 straight UAAP titles) and Renren Ritualo (4 straight UAAP titles). Borgie Hermida won his 4th NCAA title (2006, 2007, 2008 & 2010) last year with San Beda in the NCAA but it was not 4 consecutive years.

Mel
08-03-2011, 12:43 PM
yup Bajar. and the starting power forward of San Beda was Norman Gonzales if I remember correctly.

Willy Wilson also won 4 consecutive championships for La Salle.

The_Big_Cat
08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
yup Bajar. and the starting power forward of San Beda was Norman Gonzales if I remember correctly.

Willy Wilson also won 4 consecutive championships for La Salle.

Thanks Mel on Willy Wilson.

But what separates Rommel Adducul from the other players mentioned above is that he was a starter in all of the 5 championship teams.

Si Norman Gonzales yata played only one year for San Beda before joining the pros (MBA) in 1998.

Joescoundrel
08-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Big Cat, was Rommel the only starter of that era to be on each of the five title teams? I always thought magkasabay sila ni Banjo Calpito all the way.

As for Chris Cantonjos, I don't think he was there yet on the first of the UST 4-Peat title teams. I think lang naman... medyo mahirap alalahanin ang mga ganyan kapag nakainom kasi... :-X

Mel
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes. I believe Cantonjos was not in the 1993 UST team. As far as I know, the only Tiger to be part of all 4 champion teams is ROMMEL David.

christian
08-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Jaymar Rivera played 4 in that SBC team. Idol ko yan

Joescoundrel
08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Were Jam Alfad and Chris Baluyot already around in the last of these Adducul dynasty teams...?

bydpogi
08-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Mapua Team that was beaten by the Rodney Santos led SSC Stags 95'

Tuazon (C/F)
Abdullah (C/F)
Omanzie Rodriguez (C)
Jake Macapagal (F) rookie Red Robins
John Bernales (F)
Ruben Dela Rosa (F)
Patrick Benedicto (F)
Jensen Pimentel (G)
Roevarn Jornales (G) rookie Red Robins
Del Valle (G)
Chito Victolero (G)
Ringo Jimenez (G)
Bong Alvarez (G) rookie UST Cubs

Coach Joel Banal
Asst Coach Koy Banal
#1 Team Booster, Nap Gutierrez ;D ;D

BedanRoar
08-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Si Nap Gutierez..Parating nasa games yan ng NCAA, para bantayan si A. Patrimomio, V. Meneses, B. Alvarez, B. Hawkins..sino pa ba? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, back to your topic ;D

Joescoundrel
08-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Tuazon (C/F)
Abdullah (C/F)
Omanzie Rodriguez (C)
John Bernales (F)
Ruben Dela Rosa (F)
Patrick Benedicto (F)
Jensen Pimentel (G)
Del Valle (G)
Chito Victolero (G)
Ringo Jimenez (G)

Coach Joel Banal
Asst Coach Koy Banal

Lakas din pala ng Mapua na tinalo nina Rodney...

The_Big_Cat
08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Tuazon (C/F)
Abdullah (C/F)
Omanzie Rodriguez (C)
John Bernales (F)
Ruben Dela Rosa (F)
Patrick Benedicto (F)
Jensen Pimentel (G)
Del Valle (G)
Chito Victolero (G)
Ringo Jimenez (G)

Coach Joel Banal
Asst Coach Koy Banal

Wala na si Chito Victolero sa MIT nun 1995. Last playing year ni Victolero was 1990 with Albert "Kevin" Ramas and Bong Marasigan.

franz_inwurdz
08-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Big Cat, was Rommel the only starter of that era to be on each of the five title teams? I always thought magkasabay sila ni Banjo Calpito all the way.

IIRC, yes. Calpito only became a starter at the latter part of the dynasty. He would come from the bench. What I can't remember is the back court robin of Tanigue?? I remember they led fast break starting from the center line up to finishing the basket without dribbling the ball. They just passed on to each other and maintained momentum.

redlampard
08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
IIRC, yes. Calpito only became a starter at the latter part of the dynasty. He would come from the bench. What I can't remember is the back court robin of Tanigue?? I remember they led fast break starting from the center line up to finishing the basket without dribbling the ball. They just passed on to each other and maintained momentum.
[/quote]

I think its Jasper Ocampo, who later became a PBA player at Pop-Cola.

redlampard
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM

I think its Jasper Ocampo, who later became a PBA player at Pop-Cola.
[/quote]

reforms
08-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Tuazon (C/F)
Abdullah (C/F)
Omanzie Rodriguez (C)
John Bernales (F)
Ruben Dela Rosa (F)
Patrick Benedicto (F)
Jensen Pimentel (G)
Del Valle (G)
Chito Victolero (G)
Ringo Jimenez (G)

Coach Joel Banal
Asst Coach Koy Banal

Bong Alavarez ba yan na "Mr. Excitement" o kapangalan lang?

1995 kasi nasa PBA na sya, alala ko pa yan kahit bata pa ko.

bydpogi
08-18-2011, 02:36 PM

Tuazon (C/F)
Abdullah (C/F)
Omanzie Rodriguez (C)
John Bernales (F)
Ruben Dela Rosa (F)
Patrick Benedicto (F)
Jensen Pimentel (G)
Del Valle (G)
Chito Victolero (G)
Ringo Jimenez (G)

Coach Joel Banal
Asst Coach Koy Banal

Bong Alavarez ba yan na "Mr. Excitement" o kapangalan lang?

1995 kasi nasa PBA na sya, alala ko pa yan kahit bata pa ko.

Sir, left handed point guard po yan.. Gustavo "Bong" Alvarez if i'm not mistaken. Maybe somebody from the Tigers pack can confirm this

bydpogi
08-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Tuazon (C/F)
Abdullah (C/F)
Omanzie Rodriguez (C)
John Bernales (F)
Ruben Dela Rosa (F)
Patrick Benedicto (F)
Jensen Pimentel (G)
Del Valle (G)
Chito Victolero (G)
Ringo Jimenez (G)

Coach Joel Banal
Asst Coach Koy Banal

Wala na si Chito Victolero sa MIT nun 1995. Last playing year ni Victolero was 1990 with Albert "Kevin" Ramas and Bong Marasigan.

Sir, andun pa si Chito nyang 1995, last playing year nya sa MIT was 1996 . Alam ko wala sya sa back to back champion ng Mapua Team. I think he played for MIT from 1992 - 1996 if I'm not mistaken

reforms
08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I see. Ibang Bong nga.
;D
Thanks!

genom222
08-18-2011, 08:59 PM
makikiraan lang po :) perspective from an outsider hehe

I remember those days because that was during my HS years in San Beda and even though we always got the juniors title naasar kami kasi lage bridesmaid yung Seniors team namin sa Baste. We even won over them during 1997 or 1996 ata yun via a Dante Barredo buzzer beater (to sweep the 2nd round and the right to face them in the Finals) and during that time winning against that team was like winning the championship already! Ganun kalupet yang team na yan! And during those days Adducul was good pero I feel Norman Gonzales (who is still playing in the PBA as of now) did a good job in containing him and even blocked a couple of his dunk attempts in the Finals. Ditto for Encarnacion who Kerwin McCoy can match up with (both were 6'5 tall wingmen) while Dino Manuel is able to hold his own against Calpito. Of course Ralph Rivera had an advantage over whoever he was matched against with. Even the bench was kind of even with Baste having some advantage with Ocampo and Barbosa (who we used to call MUKHA :)) over our own Barredo, Jaymar Rivera, Mercado, etc.

But the guy that really pissed me off during that time was Ulysses Tanigue. He was small and not really that quick but man he could shoot! And do a good job in directing the offense for the Stags! There were times in the game where we would cut the Baste lead from double digits to 5 or 7 pts and then all of a sudden here come Tanigue and boom! back to back triples and another double digit lead! I personally think we could have had a bigger chance of beating Baste during that time if this guy didn't play. No disrespect for Rensy Bajar (he did evetually play in the PBA unlike most of the people mentioned in this post) but he was outmatched by Ulysses during those years. Ahhhh nostalgia!

Whatever happened to Tanigue anyone knows?

Joescoundrel
08-19-2011, 09:07 AM
[/quote]

Sir, andun pa si Chito nyang 1995, last playing year nya sa MIT was 1996 . Alam ko wala sya sa back to back champion ng Mapua Team. I think he played for MIT from 1992 - 1996 if I'm not mistaken
[/quote]

I am very sure Chito Victolero was on at least one of the back-back title teams of Mapua in this era. This was confirmed by no less than Mapua MANCOM Member Mr Ding Lozano a few times. In fact one of the biggest reasons Mapua asked Victolero and Randy Alcantara to coach the Cardinals is because both men were part of that last Mapua Title team. Victolero to my recollection was also in the inaugural season of the MBA in 1998-99. I'm not sure when his last playing year in the NCAA was though...

untamed
08-20-2011, 05:51 PM
To stay on topic, I believe Rommel Adducul was the only player to have played in that 5 consecutive championship teams.

rommel only played 4 years for baste. si brixter and calpito ang naka-experience ng 5 consecutive championship.

untamed
08-20-2011, 06:01 PM
They sweep Mapua 2-0 in the 1995 Finals.

sa NCAA pag na sweep ang two round robin, automatic kampeon na kaya SSC for instance wala nang finals opponent, they would win its last elimination round assignment (or even lose if they already clinched the title ahead of the last playdate)

ito ba yun sir. well malakas din itong batch na ito si rodney at basil nandito pa.

http://i55.tinypic.com/25p4uo3.jpg

untamed
08-20-2011, 06:14 PM

I remember those days because that was during my HS years in San Beda and even though we always got the juniors title naasar kami kasi lage bridesmaid yung Seniors team namin sa Baste. We even won over them during 1997 or 1996 ata yun via a Dante Barredo buzzer beater (to sweep the 2nd round and the right to face them in the Finals) and during that time winning against that team was like winning the championship already! Ganun kalupet yang team na yan! And during those days Adducul was good pero I feel Norman Gonzales (who is still playing in the PBA as of now) did a good job in containing him and even blocked a couple of his dunk attempts in the Finals. Ditto for Encarnacion who Kerwin McCoy can match up with (both were 6'5 tall wingmen) while Dino Manuel is able to hold his own against Calpito. Of course Ralph Rivera had an advantage over whoever he was matched against with. Even the bench was kind of even with Baste having some advantage with Ocampo and Barbosa (who we used to call MUKHA :)) over our own Barredo, Jaymar Rivera, Mercado, etc.

But the guy that really pissed me off during that time was Ulysses Tanigue. He was small and not really that quick but man he could shoot! And do a good job in directing the offense for the Stags! There were times in the game where we would cut the Baste lead from double digits to 5 or 7 pts and then all of a sudden here come Tanigue and boom! back to back triples and another double digit lead! I personally think we could have had a bigger chance of beating Baste during that time if this guy didn't play. No disrespect for Rensy Bajar (he did evetually play in the PBA unlike most of the people mentioned in this post) but he was outmatched by Ulysses during those years. Ahhhh nostalgia!

1996 season yun sir. almost a sweep sana yun kung di dahil sa last second shot ni dante.

ito yun 1996 team baste noon. rookie year ni topex pero wala siya sa pic. si daep naman skipped this year dahil may problem sa academics.

http://i55.tinypic.com/wr02ns.jpg
together with the muses, coach turo, asst. coach bai and team manager jerry maguire lols! ;D

genom222
09-28-2011, 10:59 PM

1996 season yun sir. almost a sweep sana yun kung di dahil sa last second shot ni dante.

ito yun 1996 team baste noon. rookie year ni topex pero wala siya sa pic. si daep naman skipped this year dahil may problem sa academics.

http://i55.tinypic.com/wr02ns.jpg
together with the muses, coach turo, asst. coach bai and team manager jerry maguire lols! ;D

Niiiceee old school hehe... whatever happened to Tanigue and Encarnacion? Ocampo?

Emon74
03-28-2013, 03:10 PM
That 1996 San Sebastian Stags lineups were:

Ulysses Tanique
Brixter Encarnacion
Ricardo Medina
Jasper Ocampo
Chino Ama
Alvin Pua
Rommel Adducul
William Marasigan
Jasper Valera