PDA

View Full Version : From vocal cheering to drums...what happened?

danny
11-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Ano bang nangyari?

Dati, buong boses na sabay sabay sumisigaw ayos na. Yun naman ang pag-cheer talaga. Sabay sabay na kumakanta ng mga fight songs kahit minsan walang mga banda.

Pero ngayon, mas gusto pang malakas ang drums. Mas gusto pang pag-usapan ang drums. Pinaguusapan ang dagundong ng drums. Ano ba meron diyan na hindi natin nalalaman?

Saan at paano ito nagsimula?

danny
11-21-2008, 06:02 AM
This is a personal concern of mine since there's a trend among new generation of Bedans who seem to prefer drums over actual cheering.

What's the history behind the current trend?

MonL
11-21-2008, 07:49 AM
This is a personal concern of mine since there's a trend among new generation of Bedans who seem* to prefer drums over actual cheering.*

The cause?

Ignorance of traditional cheering, for one.
A break in continuance of the transfer or passing on of cheering traditions from one generation to the next is second, and the cause of the first. The score for the fight songs and band staples were lost in time, and were resurrected only through relentless searching. Fortunately, the bandmaster in the 70s was still alive and still had the original scores, and this came in handy during our three-year success run so far.

Where did it start?
The three-year absence in the 80s, for starters. This caused the break in continuity. Why keep a band and cheerleaders when there is nothing to use them for?

All the years of fruitless campaigns can also be blamed, and can be pinpointed for the apathy.

The seeds have been re-sown. What must be done is to ensure continuity by mentoring the next generation.

LION
11-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Pag walang alam na cheers and chants, daanin sa drums. Palakasan at padamihan ng drums. :P

BigBlue
11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
UST happend, that's what. We were happy with having six drums in Araneta, (A-T-E-N-E-O) but somewhere along the way, we found ourselves playing catch-up to UST who had more drums than we had members.

JonarSabilano
11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
^ Easy lang, dude. Baka lumabas ang hasang ng isang UST "insider" kuno diyan. ;D

bchoter
11-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure if it was a conscious effort by the YJ but on my part, the drums and its beats were necessary during our "dark ages" because, admittedly, there were only a few of us following the Tigers' game religiously and we would never even come close to matching the the other gallery save maybe for NU and AdU. For schools with good cheering tradition, being taken over by their drumbeats is, indeed, a sad plight. But for us, it was by necessity. The Thomasian crowd has little by little caught on with the cheers and now that the number of drums allowed is being restricted UST crowd cheering can now stand toe-to-toe with every school. With that alone I give the YJs an A.

On the part whre some seem very interested in drumbeats, maybe it is more in the context of proving which are copycats and which are not because because in this time of generic sounding cheers and copycats the drumbeats can distinguish one cheer from another. I, myself, can't follow the beats, much less discern which are orig and which are copycats but it's interesting to know that some can.

tigerman
11-21-2008, 09:39 PM
UST happend, that's what. We were happy with having six drums in Araneta, (A-T-E-N-E-O) but somewhere along the way, we found ourselves playing catch-up to UST who had more drums than we had members.

So the YJ started the new trend - from vocal cheering to drum-based cheering?

I think it was a conscious effort on the initial members of the YJ to create more drumbeats to somehow offset our lack of old school cheering tradtion which you guys have along with San Beda, Letran and La Salle.

Anway, I do agree with the elders here (no pun intended) that cheering should be more on the vocal side rather than on the drums. In fact, I consider the rule limiting the no. of drums at the venue a blessing in disguise as it gave more audibility for the cheers.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

nastrans
11-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Use of drums is also a problem in low-level collegiate leagues like the UCAA, NCRAA and NAASCU. While it is understandable that they bring drums, it's useless when it just creates noise pollution in small arenas tapos wala pang nanonood.

I remember one time, EAC and St Francis were playing at EAC's home floor, both EAC and SFAC used four drums apiece yet few students watched the game. Worse, you thought that it was New Year's Eve.

Anu ang use ng drums kung wala naman nanonood hindi ba?

BigBlue
11-22-2008, 01:24 AM
bchoter, tigerman, admittedly natuwa din kami sa lakas ng dating ng drums ng UST. it was also during this time that UST was loridng over the UAAP. naturally, di rin pwede magpaiwan ang ibang mga cheering squad, BBB included, so an "arms race" ensued, paramihan na ng drums ang naging labanan. I recall that during the start of the school year, when we would shop around in Cubao for additional drums, skins and beaters, madalas, nauubusan kami ng mga high-quality merchandise, pinakyaw na daw ng ibang UAAP school :D

But i guess for us in the BBB, it was not really a conscious effort to get more drums than other UAAP schools, but rather, just get enough to stand toe-to-toe with the other schools. kaya pa naman namin tapatan sa boses eh.

bchoter
11-22-2008, 03:38 AM
^ The YJs have started but they can't even follow it up re: arms race :D. I'm not speaking in behalf of the YJs but it's obvious that the YJs get less than what they deserve. Chip-in chip-in na nga lang yata. That's why the YJs will always have my respect.

Fully agree din with danny. Iba talaga if you do it with yelling rather than just drowning the other squad with the beat of the drums. Masrap pag nag "accapela" if you're the one yelling it and you're winning the battle of the ngalangala. But if you're at the receiving end of. let's say, that damned "Get that ball...." MORE DRUMBEATS PLEASE.

I haven't really felt the brunt of the Indian Yell and other RL cheers because I was always a bystander but I can just imagin how Letran, JRU, etc feels...

danny
11-22-2008, 04:46 AM
I guess it's an Old School vs. New School type of debate.

We've had our share of heated internal discussions inside B.Com. Sometimes the "old folks" were accused of being ...OLD. ;D We've been showing younger Bedans how the Greek Olympiakos' fans would cheer like crazy even without the drums.

Then again, should we really impose to the younger generation our "old" point of view? Or should we simply accept the fact that times have changed?

Probably a compromise. Cheer loud with our voices, then we can bang the drums.

munkybear
11-23-2008, 01:45 PM
better compromise, since i get the feeling that change will be inevitable regarding to the preference towards* drumbeats by the current students. as for me, sometimes i catch myself mumbling our cheers when there's nothing to do. (the red and the white, colors two it is you we defend....)

pablohoney
11-24-2008, 04:11 AM
I understand Danny's apprehension with this "trend" knowing the long tradition of (San) Bedan cheers.
Let me offer my own theory, if I may.

During the past few years, there have been more opportunities for UAAP and NCAA teams to play infront of a bigger audience. Fil-Oil just to name one. The same with the respective pep squads. Perhaps the SBCA found that though their cheering would normally be lording it over other teams in the NCAA, it could not match up drums for drums with the UAAP teams. Perhaps this is why the "new generation" of SBCA members are focusing more on fine tuning their bass and snare drums rather than doing the traditional cheer leading from the stands. "Para hindi tabon" to use a YJ term.

With the UAAP getting more media coverage as compared to the NCAA, especially in the CDC, it is but natural for other pep squads of other leagues to follow the current trend in the UAAP. This is just my personal interpretation of things. :)

@tigerman: It was indeed a concious effort since most of the cheers of the YJs then (except for the staple cheers - uno, dos, tres, etc), a good number of beats then were just that -- beats.* Just like rock music or disco music, it was meant to be played loud to be enjoyed better.* ;)

LION
11-24-2008, 07:29 AM
^ Couldn't agree with you more, pablo. My favorito UST cheer is the "Defensa" cheer.

danny
11-25-2008, 04:12 AM
better compromise, since i get the feeling that change will be inevitable regarding to the preference towards* drumbeats by the current students. as for me, sometimes i catch myself mumbling our cheers when there's nothing to do. (the red and the white, colors two it is you we defend....)

... Fearless for you, our might to the fight we will end.
So wave, colors wave, we will fight on for your glory.
Red and White, we will fight till the fight is won!

WE can change the tide inside San Beda...it will only take a few good men to bring back the spark and put down the American trend of just pounding the drums.

Europe is the key.* ;D

Freaking drums! Take this!

Click here and watch the Panathinaikos-Olympiakos Basketball Fans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQAJH_JoXM)

And this!

Panathinaikos fans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOf-d5o7A0g)

Jeep
11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
^amazing video, danny! i imagine it does get kinda raucous judging from how loud one can hear it in a euroleague game on BTV. the cameras of course are focused on the court and not toward the stands, but the singing is distinct. this youtube feed, however, just gave me the goosebumps, giving me just a glimpse into how intense these people feel about their teams.

only small pockets here and there would join in the belting out of "blue eagle the king." although these pockets of fans can manage to drown out even an entire opponent gallery lackadaisacally cheering "beat ateneo, animo...", imagine the power of one-half of the whole building cheering and singing in unison. the closest i saw of this was the round 2 game last UAAP season 71 vs. DLSU. when the blue eagles entered the court, and the entire ateneo side belched out "go, ateneo!" in staccato gunfire sequence. dun pa lang, alam ko nang panalo kami.

Leon_Guerero
11-25-2008, 10:11 PM
This is a personal concern of mine since there's a trend among new generation of Bedans who seem* to prefer drums over actual cheering.*

kapansin-pansin nga naman talaga ngayon na sa generation ngayon, parang wala ng dating ang traditional cheers... mas madating pa sa kanila ang mga palo ng drums.

kapag sumigaw na ng cheer ang SBCA, konti lang ang sumasabay sa crowd... marahil siguro karamihan sa kanila ay hindi kabisado ang cheers naten. hindi na rin ata ito naituturo ng maayos ngayon, kaya konti nalang sa kanila ang meron pagpapahalaga sa traditional cheers naten. sigurado ako alam nila ang tono ng indian yell, pero subukan mo pakantahin sa kanila baka wala pa sa kanila ang maka-kanta nito ng maayos.
mas maganda pa nga mag cheer kahit walang drums... tingnan niyo lang ang mga fans ng manchester united at iba pang mga european ball clubs, walang drums pero maingay... sabay-sabay nila kinakanta ang cheers nila.

atenean_blooded
11-26-2008, 04:46 AM
I think the following things contribute to this perceived state of affairs ("perceived" muna, kasi ayokong mag-judge kung ganito na nga o hindi):

1. Many traditional cheers are long and complicated.
2. Many of the kids in a college are no longer the kids who were there since grade school or high school, hence there is less "retention" of knowledge as to the contents of a cheer, or how to cheer it.
3. Many fangirls would rather shriek than cheer.

And then, of course, there's the "arms race" factor. Some schools' squads think that having more drums is cooler. Others think it's a great way to compliment their already loud crowd (the only reason I think having 18-21 bass drums in the BBB works is because our crowd is loud, and being biased I dare say the loudest ;D, although I've heard it yell louder before). Others compensate for their lack of original cheers and drumbeats by coming up with more drums and a few drumbeats (read:UE).

I like hearing loud crowds. I'd prefer them to loud drums. But I guess we can keep the drums, and work on the crowd.

Incidentally, what do you guys think of schools requiring students to attend games and cheer in a "booster" gallery (ala-Miriam High School, etc.) as part of their compliance with school requirements?

MonL
11-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Incidentally, what do you guys think of schools requiring students to attend games and cheer in a "booster" gallery (ala-Miriam High School, etc.) as part of their compliance with school requirements?

A well trained and determined volunteer group will beat a bunch of conscripts anytime. But I guess a tradition must begin from somewhere. Perhaps the line of thinking of those who impose the requirement is that these conscripts would somehow get it down the line and move up to the "volunteer" level and sustain what would soon become their own tradition.

lekiboy
11-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I

if it addresses the so called requirements on the exposure and orientation to school iconographic standards and sports events, i believe this is OK...

gelaibabydoll
11-26-2008, 02:59 PM

I've seen a lot of schools do this... unfortunately, they drag gradeschoolers and teach them how to jeer and taunt the opposing crowd... how can you compete with that? I'm not the type to pick on children, but they get on my nerves a lot :P

JonarSabilano
11-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I

if it addresses the so called requirements on the exposure and orientation to school iconographic standards and sports events, i believe this is OK...

I guess it's a good idea to grade them according to the clarity of voice, diction, pronunciation, cadence, etc. Either that, or give a minus for every shriek or "AAAAAAAAAIK!" they utter. Honestly, shrieks make me cringe. So very... lumpenproletariat.

atenean_blooded
11-28-2008, 01:30 AM
I've never liked the thought of requiring students to watch games just so that the team has a crowd behind them.

Thank goodness we don't do that.

mangtsito
02-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Since all UAAP member-schools already have their own cheers for a number of years now, there is simply no excuse anymore for the crowd of any member-school not to know their cheers and chants.

Given this, I'd like to propose something for the UAAP basketball games (and probably the NCAA can do this too).

So here it goes: On a case-to-case basis they can engage in a No-drums Match wherein the only time the drums can be played is during the halftime cheer exhibition. (Let's face it. The limitation on the number of drums is not strictly enforced.)

This Payabangan of sorts will only take place if it is agreed upon by the pep squads of both sides a few days prior to the game. The objective is to test which crowd can cheer louder in a considerably more accurate manner.

How about it, eh? ;)

kerouac82
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I've never liked the thought of requiring students to watch games just so that the team has a crowd behind them.

Thank goodness we don't do that.

We NEVER had to do that. Well, at least before and after the Dark Ages.

Although I maintain that requiring ROTC cadets to sit behind the bench, in all their GOA glory, will be very intimidating. ;D

michaelangelo_kid
02-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Since all UAAP member-schools already have their own cheers for a number of years now, there is simply no excuse anymore for the crowd of any member-school not to know their cheers and chants.

Given this, I'd like to propose something for the UAAP basketball games (and probably the NCAA can do this too).

So here it goes: On a case-to-case basis they can engage in a No-drums Match wherein the only time the drums can be played is during the halftime cheer exhibition. (Let's face it. The limitation on the number of drums is not strictly enforced.)

This Payabangan of sorts will only take place if it is agreed upon by the pep squads of both sides a few days prior to the game. The objective is to test which crowd can cheer louder in a considerably more accurate manner.

How about it, eh? ;)

This is a very good idea. Pero dapat walang gayahan ng cheers and drumbeats. Copycat schools should be disqualified.

KingRedLion
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM

How about it, eh? ;)

This is a very good idea. Pero dapat walang gayahan ng cheers and drumbeats. Copycat schools should be disqualified.

If this happens, there'll be a lot of schools cheering maybe only 1 or 2(some none at all hehe) again and again. ;D Even the more "prominent" ones might all of a sudden be forced to resort in using to the generic cheers/chants, errrr...even those from movies. bwehehehe! ;D

or puro clap na lang or use the NBA's Hey! Song....

danny
04-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Guys , yung topic sa drums and vocals, dito yun...