PDA

View Full Version : Lion's Roar: San Beda Original Adopted by Others?

cub
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
ung woo.. ooo..ooohh.. Go san beda fight.. i think ginaya lang din yun sa DLSU (correct me if im wrong)
woo.. ooo..ooohh animo la salle.. :)

danny
08-02-2006, 01:18 AM
ginaya ng beda ung drum beat ng ateneo.. ung sumisigaw ung mga atenista ng "Go, Ateneo" (with their clap)..
ung sa beda nga lang, walang sinasabi, beat lang..

pati ung woo.. ooo..ooohh.. Go san beda fight.. i think ginaya lang din yun sa DLSU (correct me if im wrong)

You are wrong about the Lions Roar young cub. La Salle never had that cheer before the 70's. It was a derivation of the Indian Yell which was composed in the late 40's. We've been yelling that since then. It was Native American Inspired. San Beda is the only school that pays tribute to both the fierce Red Men of the New World and the Warrior Scots of the Old World, considered as brothers in spirit. We adopted their symbols and chants. Along with the Indian Yell, the Lions Roar is our rendition of Red Indian war chant. In our case, there is consistency and logic in the usage of the Lions Roar. Even the use of the Red Lion Rampant of Scotland/England is consistent with the Benedictine history.

As for La Salle, what has an Indian war chant got to do with a Swiss folk hero named Willam Tell? Nada. In the late 70's they adopted the roar to the horror of many Bedans. They usually yell it when they were agianst Ateneo as confirmed by an Atenean son of a Bedan in Atenista.net.

I too would like to know what inpsired La Salle to adopt a Red Indian war whoop.

I don't know about the other one. But if you have proof, we will gladly recognize Ateneo as an inspiration. Hindi naman tayo ma-emote pagdating sa ganyan. :D

Download the Animo Primer in Bedista.com. for starters. A Bedan collective undertook the initiative to put into print a few of the most important Bedan symbols , traditions and lore for the benefit of our new borthers and sisters during the PEP rally and Integration.

LION
08-02-2006, 07:27 AM
ginaya ng beda ung drum beat ng ateneo.. ung sumisigaw ung mga atenista ng "Go, Ateneo" (with their clap)..
ung sa beda nga lang, walang sinasabi, beat lang..

pati ung woo.. ooo..ooohh.. Go san beda fight.. i think ginaya lang din yun sa DLSU (correct me if im wrong)

cub,

I am quite surprised that you are not aware of the Lion's Roar. That woo......oooohh, my friend, is the Lion's Roar. Papanong ginaya ng San Beda yon sa La Salle? On the contrary, La Salle ang gumaya nun sa atin.

Pero sige lang. Ok lang na gamitin nila. No big deal for us. Sabi nga ni Danny, hindi naman natin ipagkakait yan. Wag lang nilang angkinin na sa kanila.

This debate about copying of cheers has unfortunately reached gameface. matagal ng pinag debatehan ito sa ibang sites.

shyboy
11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Actually, La Salle has been doing that cheer for a long time now.

Here is a post from GreenArrows at AP.com when someone posted the same question.

We do not do the indian yell drum beat. That's a San Beda exclusive since they are the only team in either the NCAA or UAAP that has Indian (meaning U.S. natives and not the Asians) mascots.

But if you are referring to the rain chant, please note La Salle cheerleaders were using the rain chant a month after it was famously sang during the Woodstock Peace Festival in August 1969. LSGH cheerleaders used it in a game against Letran in September 1969. I know, I was at that game when I first heard it. So this is not heresay but first hand witness testimony as to its use. The only difference then, as compared to how it is cheered now, we did not add ANIMO LA SALLE at the end of each chant. What we did was bang on bells, whistles, tin cans and other noise makers we could get our hands on to create the festive noise making after every chant. Just like it was done in Woodtsock. It was only when we joined the UAAP was ANIMO LA SALLE added to the end of each chant to replace the noise making.

So before any one of you makes accusations, tanung-tanong muna kayo.* Sakit din sa tenga namin nung narining namin yang "San Beda Fight!"

LION
11-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Here is a post from GreenArrows at AP.com when someone posted the same question.

We do not do the indian yell drum beat. That's a San Beda exclusive since they are the only team in either the NCAA or UAAP that has Indian (meaning U.S. natives and not the Asians) mascots.

But if you are referring to the rain chant, please note La Salle cheerleaders were using the rain chant a month after it was famously sang during the Woodstock Peace Festival in August 1969. LSGH cheerleaders used it in a game against Letran in September 1969. I know, I was at that game when I first heard it. So this is not heresay but first hand witness testimony as to its use. The only difference then, as compared to how it is cheered now, we did not add ANIMO LA SALLE at the end of each chant. What we did was bang on bells, whistles, tin cans and other noise makers we could get our hands on to create the festive noise making after every chant. Just like it was done in Woodtsock. It was only when we joined the UAAP was ANIMO LA SALLE added to the end of each chant to replace the noise making.

So before any one of you makes accusations, tanung-tanong muna kayo.* Sakit din sa tenga namin nung narining namin yang "San Beda Fight!"

shyboy,

Am not so sure about the other cheers/drums because I am really tone-deaf. :) But am sure about the Lion's Roar being used by La Salle crowd.

I'll let danny, sitsirya and perhaps stardust explain about the other cheers/drum beats.

About the "San Beda Fight" na "masakit sa tenga ninyo", care to elaborate? I don't hear any Atenean complaining that we copied their One Big Fight, if that is what you are driving at.

lurkinggood
11-06-2006, 11:19 AM

Could it be that the La Salle cheerleaders in 1969 only played the rain chant once, twice, or only a few times? Did La Salle ever use the rain chant CONSISTENTLY during their NCAA days? Or did they adopt the rain chant as part of their standard cheering repertoire ONLY after joining UAAP?*

LION
11-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I ask everyone to discuss this issue objectively and sensibly.

shyboy
11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm not too familiar with the history of La Salle's cheers. *All I can say is that the cheers we have right now are the ones I have been accustomed to since my college days when La Salle started playing in the UAAP. *I'll let GreenArrows and the other, um, more mature La Sallians discuss our cheers pre-UAAP days.

For me, if the cheers had been copied sana matagal nang maraming nag-reklamo niyan from San Beda. *Considering that we've been using them for three decades now, I don't know why this fuss is coming out just now. I'm sure some Bedans have already heard them one way or another the past years.

danny
11-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm not too familiar with the history of La Salle's cheers. *All I can say is that the cheers we have right now are the ones I have been accustomed to since my college days when La Salle started playing in the UAAP. *I'll let GreenArrows and the other, um, more mature La Sallians discuss our cheers pre-UAAP days.

For me, if the cheers had been copied sana matagal nang maraming nag-reklamo niyan from San Beda. *Considering that we've been using them for three decades now, I don't know why this fuss is coming out just now. I'm sure some Bedans have already heard them one way or another the past years.

Thanks Shyboy for being upfront and patient with me in paticular. Why now? As the new NCAA champs, we are reclaiming history. Kung talunan kami, malamang walang papansin. Which was actually the case during our 28 year drought. ;D

According to GreenArrows ,the 1969 Woodstock rain chant was the inspiration of La Salle.
Take note the a "rain chant"* is Indian inspired. I am not sure if this Woodstock rain chant is any similar to the "wahooo" .Bear in mind that Woodstock was also deep into North American Indian pop-culture.

The Bedan Indian Yell was composed in 1947, 22 years before Woodstock.* Our Indian War chant known as the Lion's roar was derived from the Indian Yell.* We had a 22 year lead in doing* this Native American chant.

It could be that the HS kids of La Salle Greenhills was inspired by both Woodstock and San Beda's Indian Yell.

It is also important to understand that La Salle and San Beda had a more cordial relationship then than say San Beda and Ateneo. This may explain the migraton and sharing of cheers especially the Indian inspired chanting of Wahoooowahoooo..between the two schools.

shyboy
11-06-2006, 03:50 PM
We can just speculate how things got intertwined or connected.

The similarity between the rain chant and San Beda's Indian Yell may not have been evident back in the 70s when La Salle was still playing in the NCAA. Had it been back then, all hell would've broken loose specially during the fight-marred years in the NCAA. How and when it became alike is anybody's guess.

LION
11-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I asked my HS friends in SBC who went to La Salle, they have not heard of the rain chant...as for the Lions' Roar, only the oldies in La Salle know that it's not their original - it's San Beda's......the newer generation would always say that we copied it...hahaha...it's what my friends have heard as DLSU has not corrected it I guess --- within their ranks.

LION is right...since we have the roar and the indian yell way before DLSU left NCAA, the "alleged" imitation could have happened when DLSU were already in the UAAP....kung ginaya nung time na nandun pa sila sa NCAA,,,di lang siguro LEtran ang naka-away nila nun... :)

In the late 80s, I am already hearing DLSu doing their version of the Lions' roar...in the UAAP. I think we just got back to the NCAA after a 3 year vacation... :(

May I know nga pala how you call your version of the ROAR?

The three-year "sabbatical leave" of the Red Lions from NCAA might have prompted the cheerleaders of the Archers to adopt their own version of the Lion's roar. They were doing it in another league (UAAP) anyway, so they might have thought that there should be no harm. Now that both are once again crossing paths in a number of* amateur leagues, let's listen who roars or chants the loudest.

One suggestion: When these two teams meet, can the cheerleaders of both squads synchronize the rendition of the cheer? Which one will be heard louder kaya... Go San Beda Fight or Animo La Salle?* :)

That is ok with us lurkinggood but the issue is still unresolved. *

Personally, I don't mind if our cheers are being copied. We just want to set the record straight because in my own experience last Saturday, a *La Sallian who was wearing a gang green shirt looked amused when we cheered the Lion's Roar - "Woooohoooowo, Go San Beda Fight!". Parang nagulat siya at parang iniisip niya na kami ang nangopya sa cheer na yun. *

So I think it is really necessary to set the record straight.

LION
11-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Di ko rinig yung Lion's Roar sa videoclip of the Indian Yell. *But I did hear the "Go San Beda Fight" cheered similarly with ADMU's "One Big Fight."

You will not hear it in the Indian yell....the LIONS' Roar is a separate cheer.

During my time, the* Lion's Roar is part of the intro of the Indian Yell.

The Lion's Roar is also a stand alone cheer - "Woooohoowoo, Go San Beda Fight!"*- and the sound is very different from Ateneo's "One Big Fight".

lekiboy
11-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Di ko rinig yung Lion's Roar sa videoclip of the Indian Yell. *But I did hear the "Go San Beda Fight" cheered similarly with ADMU's "One Big Fight."

You will not hear it in the Indian yell....the LIONS' Roar is a separate cheer.

During my time, the* Lion's Roar is part of the intro of the Indian Yell.

The Lion's Roar is also a stand alone cheer - "Woooohoowoo, Go San Beda Fight!"*- and the sound is very different from Ateneo's "One Big Fight".

salamat kuya noli... :)
i think they just thought that it was the same because of the word "fight" . :D :D :D

SIMBA
11-06-2006, 11:48 PM
the wooooh woooh hooo go san beda fight line (w/c dlsu copied and some are thinking we copied it from ateneo) is included in the 1940's indian yell. pagdudahan ba ang 1940's indian yell na kinopya ang intro drumbeat at lions's roar lyrics ng dlsu. isama na rin ang animo word na ateneo and san beda ang karaniwang gumagamit.

danny
11-07-2006, 02:19 AM
If you listean carefully, yung "Go...San Beda...Fight" chanted several times towards the end of the Indian Yell is the same as the "One...Big...Fight" of ADMU.

My son is studying in a Catholic Boys School in Canada. They are known as the "Fighting Irish". They have a cheer which goes like this:

Go! Irish! Fight! -----sounds like a Bedan cheer to me. ;D

We've been cheering "Go San Beda Fight!"* since the late 40's.

Using go and fight are fairly Generic in North American cheering. It's traditional......

Now back to the Lion's Roar..

If La Salle's sole inspiration for their Indian War whoop (YES. THE WOODSTOCK RAIN CHANT IS AN INDIAN WAR WHOOP PROBABLY INSPIRED BY THE DARTMOUTH'S AND UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA'S INDIAN YELL OF THE 1890S..YES, 1890s.http://www.dartmo.com/indian_yell/index.html) was the 1969 Woodstock then it's clear that your Indian chanting is fairly new.

We adopted the Indian Yell and the subsequent Lion's Roar during the time when San Beda had its first American Rector in the 1940's. We all know that cheering in the Philippines was never original but simply a copy of North American cheering tradition.

Besides why would La Salle use an Indian War whoop when it is clear that William Tell is Swiss? I think you guys got inspired by San Beda's Indian type of cheering which you carried to the UAAP because the Lion's Roar and the drumbeat of the Indian will never be heard in that league.

For me, it's ok.. just educate your fellow La Sallians that Woohooooo is a romanticized version of an Indian Chant.* *In the Philippines only San Beda* adopted the North American Indian as* an inspiration. We've been chanting wahooo, doing the rain dance, performing the tomahawk chop,*face painting for war,* 27 years before your got inspired by Woodstock's 1969 Indian chanting. That's a very long time.

It's 2006. For 59 years we have been consistent with our Indian themed War whoop.

Accoring to newbie La Sallians,* we are copying you?;D*

That's historical revisionism to the max. 8)

lekiboy
12-18-2006, 10:31 AM
During the homegrown game yesterday, I heard the Indian Yell - like beat of DLSU again...and then the copied LIONS' roar again....Ang sakit sa tenga....Nilipat ko na lang. Baka kung ano pa lumabas sa bibig ko.

My 8 year old dughter and my wife noticed it and called me to check. They usually go with me during SBC games.... Tama nga.. Haay. Even a kid can notice. >:(

danny
04-29-2007, 02:20 AM
Yup, the SBCA was an adaptation of SJLC's Arriba Letran. Letran introduced the Letter cheer based on similar North American cheers. This one we acknowledge to be a Letran innovation. :D

But the Indian inspired Lion's Roar...... :D

La Salle supposedly got the roar from Woodstock '69, a month after Woodstock '69 and performed during a game with Letran. Unfortunately, that would be impossible. Woodstock '69 was never televised live not even in North America. Financially, Woodstock was a flop. Not much advertisers to cover the cost of this underground event, what more for the live telecast of an "anti-social" concert. Counter-culturally it was a huge success. It marked the zenith of the Hippie/Anti-War/Civil Rights Movement.

The Wohooooo , during Woodstock '69 was done by a small group of hippies and was only witnessed by the outside world through the 1970 documentary "Woodstock, 3 Days of Peace & Music."Yup, Pinoys might not have* heard of the Wohooo version of the Woodstock hippie prior to the release of the 1970 documentary.

Sorry, but the La Salle Pep Squad who allegedly started Indian Chanting were not present in that portion of the* documentary, thus they could not have witnessed the 1969 rain chant and brought them back to Manila, then one month after used in a game against Letran on September 1969.* The 1969 account by La Salle* is simply hard to believe at this point. The version of the Wahooo by* Woodstock* Hippies were heard only after the 1970 release of the film.

The more familiar "Rain Chant" was actually, "No Rain! No Rain! No Rain!" and not the "Wohoooo" which was participated by a small group of hippies playing on the mud.* ;)

I wonder how long the 1970 Woodstock* documentary reached Philippine shores after its official release in the States on March 26, 1970? I also wonder if there were actual news footages of the "Wohooo"* version done in Woodstock '69 as seen on the 1970 documentary? That would give La Salle credence in using the Woodstock version of the Wahooo..But there are people who would continue to wonder why La Salle would adopt such a chant when it's clearly Native American inspired?* ;D
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066580/

The First Woodstock Documentary was released* March 26, 1970.* A portion of the documentary was about this "rain chant" (the Woodstock version of the Wahooo prevalent in North American war chants) where a small group of hippies were doing their version of the wahoooo. To say that it was done already by La Salle during a game with Letran ,one month after Woodstock '69 is* a bit unbelievable.*

The WOHOOOO, conceived originally by Dartmouth College (with a different tune of course),* was penned as the RAIN CHANT* by the movie producers 100 years after Dartmouth's "WAHOOOWA". (I've discussed briefly how deeply entrenched Native American iconography is in American Society) It is a given that the Hippie movement was deeply influenced by Native Americans. The Woodstock Wohooooo itself is a romanticized Native American Indian Chanting. Today another popular derivative of the original Wahoo is the present War Cry of Florida State. Here's the Florida State War Chant, their version of the Wahooo :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU-XXy99xVw

What is the symbol, the theme, that binds Dartmouth College, University of Virginia, the Hippie Movement, the many collegiate and professional teams in North America and this small school known as San Beda in the Philippines?

The use of Native American symbols imagery and chanting. According to GreenArrows himself, only San Beda uses North American symbols and chants. Then why the Indian chanting of La Salle? (Unless they have no idea that the Wohoooo is a romanticized Native American chant.)

Well, we can also argue that the present form of the Wahooo was also adopted by the Bedans directly from the 1970 Woodstock Movie. But no.* Rather, we focused on the consistency. Focusing on the CONSISTENCY of* THEME in our cheers and chanting (rather than who started the Lion's Roar first) will be more fruitful. The "who started it first portion" of the Lion's Roar is another hard issue to settle given the obvious misrepresentation in the 1969 "one-month-after-Woodstock" account of La Salle.

We may all agree that the dynamics of school cheering and chanting are fluid and we are somehow influenced by one another.* Still there would be cheers and chants that will clearly define each school, especially the traditional cheering schools:

La Salle* *- Rektikano
Ateneo* * - Fabilioh
Letran* * *- SJLC (Arriba Letran)
San Beda - Indian Yell (http://www.sanbeda.edu.ph/images/indian%20yell.mp3)(a chorus in the 1947 Indian Yell is "Wohoo! Wohoo! Wohoo!")

The Indian Yell - http://www.sanbeda.edu.ph/images/indian%20yell.mp3*

The questions raised are still open. (Remember, we did not accuse La Salle of copying the Lion's Roar* in this forum.)

1.* "Why did La Salle adopt an Indian type of chanting* known to us as the Lion's Roar ?"

2.* "Were they influenced by Bedans who were already using Indian cheering and chanting since 1947?"

3.* "Do La Sallites know and understand* that the "Rain Chant"* of Woodstock '69 is Native American inspired?"

We never accused La Salle of copying us on the first place. We simply claim that Bedans influenced La Salle in adopting an Indian type of chanting and not the other way around.

PAX!

P.S.

Koya, a lolo Bedan(Mr. _____Banaag CAS 50's, who passed several years ago, May he rest in peace)I got to talk to before would* claim that Lion's Roar is Bedan. A problem of who started it first.

But the nature of the Lion's Roar is very clear. It is an Indian Chant. Who plays* Indian? Only Bedans play Indian in Philippine collegiate sports. In a grander sheme, who aped the Indian theme? Not us Bedans. ;D

danny
04-29-2007, 11:17 PM
danny,
i think stardust just got bored (not today :)) because no one is really responding to your arguments and contentions.* ;D

it is a very objective discussion by the way.... am sure the 50s and 60s Bedans* ( knowing their popular machismo) will be able to send their inputs also. - matanong nga si MON at ARCHIE Ventosa later sa FILOIL.....

" mag cheer naman kayo!!! _____, mag cheer naman kayo!!" hinahamon nyo na naman yata ako na magsend out ng doc evidence sa LIONS' roar a....* :o :o

PAX.

Pare, it is only in gameface where all of of us can discuss potentially explosive topics but still have enough sense to be objective. Kung dun sa kung ano ano site, murahan at bangayan na nangyari...

We can be denied as the source of inspiration for this Indian Chanting by any school. That's easy. Three years of hiatus coupled by almost three decades of basketball obscurity, why would anyone listen to us. :D

Still, despite the protracted battle for supremacy, we have preserved a lot of our stories.

We do understand the truism in the migration and cross-pollination of cheers, the vagueness of references which led to revisionism, the organized propaganda of respective pioneer schools and good old school pride. All these can lead to this seeming confusion. But behind all the confusion there are things that may serve as evidence in itself. If the initial query will lead to contradictory response, better ask the correct and grander question.

In this case, the Indianness of the Lion's Roar. ;D

In effect, the question of first usage of this particular Indian Chant will be a secondary priority. According to La Salle, just like "Animo", they used this particular INIDIAN CHANTING first. There's no problem for us here even if they canprove that. Why? It will show that we did influence them in doing an INDIAN CHANT since we've been Indian chanting/hooting since 1947. However if they will deny the INDIANNESS of this version of the Wahoooo, no problem also. Their own account that they lifted it from Native American Inspired Woodstock Hippies and the subtitle "Rain Chant" in the documentary proves the INDIANNESS of the chant. ;)

The important thing is, we've presented our case. There are things that cannot be agreed as of the moment (first use), but there are things that cannot be denied (the Indianness of the chant).

As what I have said earlier, I like this dilemma of ours.;D

sitsirya
04-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Yup, the SBCA was an adaptation of SJLC's Arriba Letran. Letran introduced the Letter cheer based on similar North American cheers. This one we acknowledge to be a Letran innovation. :D

La Salle supposedly got the roar from Woodstock '69, a month after Woodstock '69 and performed during a game with Letran. Unfortunately, that would be impossible. Woodstock '69 was never televised live not even in North America. Financially, Woodstock was a flop. Not much advertisers to cover the cost of this underground event, what more for the live telecast of an "anti-social" concert. Counter-culturally it was a huge success. It marked the zenith of the Hippie/Anti-War/Civil Rights Movement.

The Wohooooo , during Woodstock '69 was done by a small group of hippies and was only witnessed by the outside world through the 1970 documentary "Woodstock, 3 Days of Peace & Music."Yup, Pinoys might not have* heard of the Wohooo version of the Woodstock hippie prior to the release of the 1970 documentary.

Sorry, but the La Salle Pep Squad who allegedly started Indian Chanting were not present in that portion of the* documentary, thus they could not have witnessed the 1969 rain chant and brought them back to Manila, then one month after used in a game against Letran on September 1969.* The 1969 account by La Salle* is simply hard to believe at this point. The version of the Wahooo by* Woodstock* Hippies were heard only after the 1970 release of the film.

The more familiar "Rain Chant" was actually, "No Rain! No Rain! No Rain!" and not the "Wohoooo" which was participated by a small group of hippies playing on the mud.* ;)

I wonder how long the 1970 Woodstock* documentary reached Philippine shores after its official release in the States on March 26, 1970? I also wonder if there were actual news footages of the "Wohooo"* version done in Woodstock '69 as seen on the 1970 documentary? That would give La Salle credence in using the Woodstock version of the Wahooo..But there are people who would continue to wonder why La Salle would adopt such a chant when it's clearly Native American inspired?* ;D

The First Woodstock Documentary was released* March 26, 1970.* A portion of the documentary was about this "rain chant" (the Woodstock version of the Wahooo prevalent in North American war chants) where a small group of hippies were doing their version of the wahoooo. To say that it was done already by La Salle during a game with Letran ,one month after Woodstock '69 is* a bit unbelievable.*

The WOHOOOO, conceived originally by Dartmouth College (with a different tune of course),* was penned as the RAIN CHANT* by the movie producers 100 years after Dartmouth's "WAHOOOWA". (I've discussed briefly how deeply entrenched Native American iconography is in American Society) It is a given that the Hippie movement was deeply influenced by Native Americans. The Woodstock Wohooooo itself is a romanticized Native American Indian Chanting. Today another popular derivative of the original Wahoo is the present War Cry of Florida State. Here's the Florida State War Chant, their version of the Wahooo :

What is the symbol, the theme, that binds Dartmouth College, University of Virginia, the Hippie Movement, the many collegiate and professional teams in North America and this small school known as San Beda in the Philippines?

The use of Native American symbols imagery and chanting. According to GreenArrows himself, only San Beda uses North American symbols and chants. Then why the Indian chanting of La Salle? (Unless they have no idea that the Wohoooo is a romanticized Native American chant.)

Well, we can also argue that the present form of the Wahooo was also adopted by the Bedans directly from the 1970 Woodstock Movie. But no.* Rather, we focused on the consistency. Focusing on the CONSISTENCY of* THEME in our cheers and chanting (rather than who started the Lion's Roar first) will be more fruitful. The "who started it first portion" of the Lion's Roar is another hard issue to settle given the obvious misrepresentation in the 1969 "one-month-after-Woodstock" account of La Salle.

We may all agree that the dynamics of school cheering and chanting are fluid and we are somehow influenced by one another.* Still there would be cheers and chants that will clearly define each school, especially the traditional cheering schools:

La Salle* *- Rektikano
Ateneo* * - Fabilioh
San Beda - Indian Yell (http://www.sanbeda.edu.ph/images/indian%20yell.mp3)(a chorus in the 1947 Indian Yell is "Wohoo! Wohoo! Wohoo!")

The questions raised are still open. (Remember, we did not accuse La Salle of copying the Lion's Roar* in this forum.)

1.* "Why did La Salle adopt an Indian type of chanting* known to us as the Lion's Roar ?"

2.* "Were they influenced by Bedans who were already using Indian cheering and chanting since 1947?"

3.* "Do La Sallites know and understand* that the "Rain Chant"* of Woodstock '69 is Native American inspired?"

We never accused La Salle of copying us on the first place. We simply claim that Bedans influenced La Salle in adopting an Indian type of chanting and not the other way around.

PAX!

P.S.

Koya, a lolo Bedan(Mr. _____Banaag CAS 50's, who passed several years ago, May he rest in peace)I got to talk to before would* claim that Lion's Roar is Bedan. A problem of who started it first.

But the nature of the Lion's Roar is very clear. It is an Indian Chant. Who plays* Indian? Only Bedans play Indian in Philippine collegiate sports. In a grander sheme, who aped the Indian theme? Not us Bedans. ;D

Danny,
I was impressed with your documentation of the "Woodstock" background of our Lions'
Roar. I was in 3rd year high school, when Woodstock happened in August of '69.

The following year, our senior class (SCREW 42) adopted the chant as our class cheer,
which went like.. ("SCREW...... Wo..oh..wo..oh!"), repeatedly chanted to the beat of
our improvised percussion "instruments" for the basketball intrams.
Trancelike, haunting, goosebumps inducing, and fear-instilling (to the opponent),
are but some of the emotions felt while fever-pitch involved, chanting and feet-stomping to it.

Although it was not yet then an "official" San Beda cheer, we were also cheering
it in the 1970 NCAA season. Spontaneous ang gamit nito, without being initiated
by our cheerleaders. It was at best, an "alternative" cheer, but the gallery loved doing it.

I still heard it being used years later, (albeit, sporadically, or even not at all, during some years),
until it eventually became an "official" cheer, many years later.
Probably, lumipas na noon ang "stigma" ng Woodstock, by that time.

I wished all of our 'younger' batches, who followed us, got to experience the high
of chanting your lungs out doing that particular "underground" or "bootleg" cheer.
I am glad that we were among the first Bedan batches to use it.
I'm proud to have been a part of a classic case of another Bedan tradition in the making.

Danny, thank you, for bringing back the memories!

(SITSIRYA)
OFRACE OCAMPO
GS '67, HS'71, Bedan Forever!

LION
05-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Goodness, I am back from a one-week absence. I am now as black as Sam Ekwe. ;D

Stardust, is that you? ;)

Regarding your Lion's Roar post, I can't personally refute that because I was just a young kid when you were already in HS. But I do know for a fact that Bedans older than you have been chanting the Lion's Roar even before you became a member of our school's cheering squad. Take the case of sitsirya. For this reason, the statement that the Lion's Roar was just copied from another school has no factual or historical basis. Looking back at our history, there is no doubt that we were the first to use this chant

In fact, we even have a name for this chant, i.e., Lion's Roar.

With regard to the SBCA cheer, this cheer is pretty common among the US NCAA schools. Letran admittedly was the first to copy this cheer and the rest merely followed.

Thus, we have the SBCA, the D-LS-U Animo La Salle, etc.

LION
06-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Yesterday, 11 June 2007, San Beda's Lion's Roar resonated inside the Arena.

Out_Of_The_Blue
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Pareng Lion, finals kayo ng La Salle sa Fil-Oil Pre-season Invitational Cup. Sino kaya sa inyo ng La Salle ang may mas malakas na "Lion's Roar?"

Meron kaya ulit na gayahan ng cheer na mangyayari? Ok lang naman manggaya di ba basta aaminin lang na ginaya. ;D

danny
06-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Gamitin nang tuloy tuloy ang Indian Yell, Lion's Roar at Stand on the Grandstand. ;D

Two words. Insitutional Memory.

This we have.

SIMBA
06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
DLSU sung the Lion's Roar (woooooo wooo oohhhh oohhh), but they were immediately stopped by the Red Army. Supalpal ang DLSU sa lakas ng Lion's Roar. ahihihihi. We were never out cheered by La Salle. hehehehehe

lekiboy
06-13-2007, 07:20 PM
DLSU sung the Lion's Roar (woooooo wooo oohhhh oohhh), but they were immediately stopped by the Red Army. Supalpal ang DLSU sa lakas ng Lion's Roar. ahihihihi. We were never out cheered by La Salle. hehehehehe

Great JOB, RED ARMY!! Show them how it's "ORIGINALLY" done. ;D

danny
06-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Kudos to the RED ARMY for asserting the INDIANNESS of the LION'S ROAR. Good job.

Dovetailing lekiboy's comment, it is not just who originally used the Indian War whoop, but who has* been consistently PLAYING INDIAN around here.

Tell us the relationship of your symbolism and chanting to the Native Americans. Tell us your lore.

If there is none, then this is a* simple reminder to STOP PLAYING INDIAN* against the RED MEN. (For the* clueless, read our posts. The Wohooo, known to us as the Lion's Roar , is a variant of the romanticized Native American war chant.)

If anyone from the other camp can deny the INDIANNESS of the Lion's Roar, we are open for a dialogue. Otherwise, I urge you to STOP PLAYING INDIAN* against us Bedans.(Does it mean they can use the Indian War Whoop in the UAAP? ahihihih I'm flexible with that provided there is an acknowledgement. Silence is acknowledgement in itself.;D )

Umpa! Umpa! Umpa! beda beda beda fight fight fight! Hey Yu Kim Kum Kawa!

Awowowowowowo!

Woohoooooo! Woohooooooo! Woohoooooo!

;D

LION
06-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Now, this was the other battle yesterday.* And this battle we won, morally, convincingly and undeniably.

Even before the game started, the Red Army and the SBCA chanted the Lion's Roar twice. Nothing from La Salle.

From game opening until the last 3 minutes of the game, San Beda chanted the Lion's Roar many times.* Still nothing from La Salle. D. H. Lawrence told us once: "Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot."

Their silence said it all. They were facing reality.* Truth vs. fiction.

It was only when La Salle was leading by 9-10 points going into the last 3 minutes of the game that a handfull of* their supporters* *chanted the Lion's Roar . However, they chanted it not to cheer for their team but to jeer San Beda.* What is that? The Red Army immediately stopped them with a more powerful chant.

I am thankful that they committed that improper act of jeering because it only solidified our cause. From now on, everytime La Salle faces San Beda, they are destined to use the chant improperly.* *

In the end, truth prevailed.

ANIMO SAN BEDA! Woooooohoooooowooooh! GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!

MonL
06-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Congrats to san beda for winning the cheering competition yesterday. The Lasalle crowd was clearly outclassed.
The basketball finals itself is just secondary to cheering. That's the true essence of the game... win on the stands.

Kudos to The Red Lions for winning 3 quarters.

Kudos to the San Beda community for taking a minor league seriously and bagging the second place at that.

Kudos to the 3,000 strong bedistas for outcheering the 80+ lasallians.

Kudos to Frankie Lim for showing what a bedan gentleman is all about.

Kudos to MVP and coach Ato for showing how stud a bedan male can be.

Kudos to aljamal, escobal, et al for attaining MVP's "scholarship program".

At the end of the day San Beda won. Clearly.
...on national tv at that.
continue to roar.

Animo San Beda! :)

Witty. Clearly. In a league all its own.

Bentot Jr
06-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Congrats to san beda for winning the cheering competition yesterday. The Lasalle crowd was clearly outclassed.
The basketball finals itself is just secondary to cheering. That's the true essence of the game... win on the stands.

Kudos to the San Beda community for taking a minor league seriously and bagging the second place at that.

continue to roar.

This is wittier. Mike Galinato, is that you?

Ahhh... bedans.

MonL
06-14-2007, 02:17 PM

continue to roar.

Ahhh... bedans.

Applause, please for the guy's attempts.

Tsk. :P

Bentot Jr
06-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Attempt to what?

What an "intelligent" retort.
applause.

Bentot Jr
06-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Another lame reply.
Walk away... that's so gay.
Not surprising for a bedan. :)

MonL
06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Another lame reply.

Want to say that in real life? PM me if you have the guts.

Bentot Jr
06-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Somebody got irked. I guess I hit a soft spot.

JonarSabilano
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I know I'm an outsider of sorts here, but someone in this thread is just so begging to be banned.

razor
06-14-2007, 02:41 PM

Ahhh... bedans.

Ah Galinato, the former Green Archer.

He never played for SBC; he will never ever play for SBC.

Anyway, congratulations on your recent championships. I guess these wins are special since you won with legit student athletes.

MonL
06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Talk is cheap. I'm waiting.

Fried Green Tomato
06-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Now, this was the other battle yesterday.* And this battle we won, morally, convincingly and undeniably.

Even before the game started, the Red Army and the SBCA chanted the Lion's Roar twice. Nothing from La Salle.

From game opening until the last 3 minutes of the game, San Beda chanted the Lion's Roar many times.* Still nothing from La Salle. D. H. Lawrence told us once: "Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot."

It was only when La Salle was leading by 9-10 points going into the last 3 minutes of the game that a handfull of* their supporters* *chanted the Lion's Roar . However, they chanted it not to cheer for their team but to jeer San Beda.* What is that? The Red Army immediately stopped them with a more powerful chant.

I am thankful that they committed that improper act of jeering because it only solidified our cause. From now on, everytime La Salle faces San Beda, they are destined to use the chant improperly.* *

You got it all wrong.

No doubt the Red Lions had a bigger crowd yesterday. It was very obvious that they had the greater intensity & desire to win yesterday's crown as clearly manifested from the body language of their players & crowd. For whatever reasons, they were there ready to do battle.

As for the jeer? There was no animosity coming from us during the game. I don't know your mentality going into this game but for us, it's just another championship game in preparation for the bigger battle we're going to face in the uaap. Winning or losing yesterday's crown was secondary only to our primary cause of getting enough experience for the real war ahead.

Our crowd cheered not to the satisfaction of our opponent, it was meant to boost the morale of our team. Contrary to your observation that it was meant to jeer the other side, the different cheers we chanted yesterday (including the indian chant) were for the satisfaction of our team.

For the bedans, yesterday's match-up maybe something big. But for us, it's a different story. For all the excitement, hooplas and fanfare that they have shown yesterday and to the point of trying to sensationalize a very trivial comparison of a certain chant is simply beyond our comprehension.

Yesterday was just a minor battle as we always look forward to the more important war - the UAAP!

SIMBA
06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
champion na nga, asar talo pa. mandaraya na nga, mangongopya pa at mangaagaw ng mga players. ano ba yon lahat na sinakop. swapang talaga kahit sa kasamaan. ahihihi. ahihihi. ahihihi. ahihihi :D

LION
06-14-2007, 03:42 PM

You got it all wrong.

No doubt the Red Lions had a bigger crowd yesterday. It was very obvious that they had the greater intensity & desire to win yesterday's crown as clearly manifested from the body language of their players & crowd. For whatever reasons, they were there ready to do battle.

I am sorry my friend but you're the one who got it all wrong.*

We always have the bigger crowd regardless of which team we are facing. There is nothing wrong if our crowd manifested the greater intensity and desire to win. As for our players, we expect them to have that body language and again, there is nothing wrong with that.* We were there ready to do battle? But of course. I read some posts from La Sallites here and in other sites hoping for a good battle and for both teams to give their all.

As for the jeer? There was no animosity coming from us during the game. I don't know your mentality going into this game but for us, it's just another championship game in preparation for the bigger battle we're going to face in the uaap. Winning or losing yesterday's crown was secondary only to our primary cause of getting enough experience for the real war ahead.

The same with us. There was no animosity from us during the game. We came in the game just like when we were battling PCU in the NCAA finals. Our mentality was to win and to chant the Lion's Roar which, according to some La Sallites, was copied by San Beda.* Our mentality was to chant the Lion's Roar as an original Bedan cheer. And the game was the best forum to assert our ownership of that cheer.* Likewise, for us, it was just another championship game in preparation for the bigger battle we are going to face in the NCAA.* And I believe all schools have the same reason in joining pre-season tournaments.

Winning or losing the game yesterday was also secondary for us.

Our crowd cheered not to the satisfaction of our opponent, it was meant to boost the morale of our team. Contrary to your observation that it was meant to jeer the other side, the different cheers we chanted yesterday (including the indian chant) were for the satisfaction of our team.

Thanks for admitting that the Lion's Roar is an indian chant.* It's not William Tell's.* Indeed, cheers are meant to boost the morale of a team.* The only time a handful* of your supporters chanted the Lion's Roar was in the last 3 minutes of the game when you had a comfortable lead.* You could have chanted it earlier when your team was behind and was in dire need of some morale boosting. But there was no Lion's Roar to be heard from you until that final 3 minutes of the game.

For the bedans, yesterday's match-up maybe something big. But for us, it's a different story. For all the excitement, hooplas and fanfare that they have shown yesterday and to the point of trying to sensationalize a very trivial comparison of a certain chant is simply beyond our comprehension.

Yesterday was just a minor battle as we always look forward to the more important war - the UAAP!

It may appear big to you but it is ordinary for us.* The excitement, hooplas and fanfare was also our way of exposing our freshmen students in high school and college to our traditions.* If you think it was meant for La Salle, you got it all wrong.

The Lion's Roar is not trivial to us. Ripping off our cheer is big deal enough. But being accused of copying our own chant is one for records.

I agree with you. Yesterday was just a minor battle because for us, the more important task* aside from asserting our traditions is defending our NCAA crown.

Definitely, one cannot but compare how DLSU and UST reacted when confronted with this issue of copying cheers. There is an honorable way of meeting the issue. It is a matter of choice. Hats off to UST.

Peace out!

To my Bedan brothers here, please refrain from replying to the 2 La Sallites who are making a mockery of this forum.*

gameface_one
06-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Another lame reply.

Warning on this. Pls refrain from making any similar remarks.

shyboy
06-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Sayang, umuwi lang ako sandali marami na ata akong na-miss sa thread na 'to ah. ;D

LION
06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
So now, let's go back to the discussion concerning the Lion's Roar which is an indian chant.

FGT said that he didn't want to dwell on the discussion of this chant and he passed on the responsibility of arguing the case for La Salle to GreenArrows and other La Sallites.

We shall therefore await Greenarrows and the other responsible La Sallites to argue the case for La Salle. But before doing that, kindly read the subsequent discussions concerning the Lion's Roar in this sub-forum so that we won't have to repeat arguments and recycle issues.

The clock is now ticking...............

danny
06-15-2007, 01:13 AM

Congrats La Salle for winning the crown!

WE were ready to do a minor* ;D battle on the hard court but a major one on the stands.* We achieved the major goal but lost the minor one. The reclaiming of our cheers and chants has been on our agenda since the early part of* 2006.

We've just reclaimed the Lion's Roar.

Wooohooooooo! Go San Beda Fight!

I think the Indian Chant is a trivial matter for you guys because you have no sense of affinity with Native American iconography.* It has* nothing to do with the La Sallian lore.* Merci, but Native American symbolism and chanting has been part and parcel of our tradition.

Anyway, good luck to* your quest in the* UAAP. Our Bedan brother, JV Casio ,will be of great service to your cause.

Good luck to you guys!

Fried Green Tomato
06-15-2007, 01:51 AM
So now, let's go back to the discussion concerning the Lion's Roar which is an indian chant.

FGT said that he didn't want to dwell on the discussion of this chant and he passed on the responsibility of arguing the case for La Salle to GreenArrows and other La Sallites.

We shall therefore await Greenarrows and the other responsible La Sallites to argue the case for La Salle.* But before doing that, kindly read the subsequent discussions concerning the Lion's Roar in this sub-forum so that we won't have to repeat arguments and recycle issues.

The clock is now ticking...............*

This is not about passing responsibility to my fellow La Sallians, it's just that my knowlege regarding the subject is insufficient. So it's useless for me to comment on something that i've incomplete knowlege. No use for grandstanding or bravado here. *

Let me clarify my earlier statement regarding "committing" greenarrows & other la sallians to answer for La Salle's position. I mentioned greenarrows and other La Sallian alumni for the simple reason that there were contentions made by some in this thread that La Salle first used the indian chant in the late 60's and it just so happened that it was during their time. This was an assumption on my part. Maybe, they could enlighten us to the veracity of such report but as to whether they want to dwell and contribute their thoughts here, that's the big question. I would not dare impose anything on them to give a reply or even make a deadline.... as i'm not even sure if they are aware of this thread.

If you have the patience to wait then allow the clock to tick & tick & tick.

danny
06-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Just read our previous posts regarding the matter.

danny
06-15-2007, 04:42 AM
Backtracking a bit for the new gamefacers who have forgotten that this is not PEX. The discussion was more or less civil until the saboteurs came.;D

La Salle* *- Rektikano
Ateneo* * - Fabilioh

PAX!

P.S.

Danny,
I was impressed with your documentation of the "Woodstock" background of our Lions'
Roar. I was in 3rd year high school, when Woodstock happened in August of '69.

The following year, our senior class (SCREW 42) adopted the chant as our class cheer,
which went like..* ("SCREW...... Wo..oh..wo..oh!"), repeatedly chanted to the beat of
our improvised percussion "instruments" for the basketball intrams.
Trancelike, haunting, goosebumps inducing, and fear-instilling (to the opponent),
are but some of the emotions felt while fever-pitch involved, chanting and feet-stomping to it.

Although it was not yet then an "official" San Beda cheer, we were also cheering
it in the 1970 NCAA season. Spontaneous ang gamit nito, without being initiated
by our cheerleaders. It was at best, an "alternative" cheer, but the gallery loved doing it.

I still heard it being used years later, (albeit, sporadically, or even not at all, during some years),
until it eventually became an "official"* cheer, many years later.
Probably, lumipas na noon ang "stigma" ng Woodstock, by that time.

I wished all of our 'younger' batches, who followed us, got to experience the high
of chanting your lungs out doing that particular "underground" or "bootleg" cheer.
I am glad that we were among the first Bedan batches to use it.
I'm proud to have been a part of a classic case of another Bedan tradition in the making.

Danny, thank you, for bringing back the memories!
(SITSIRYA)
OFRACE OCAMPO
GS '67, HS'71, Bedan Forever!

danny
06-15-2007, 04:46 AM
...and this.

Danny:* I give credence also to your discussion with our departed brother from CAS 50, Mr. Banaag.* My experience then (1973-77) was one of those episodes mentioned by Ofrace as a lull in our Woho chanting.

Ofrace:* Thanks also for sharing your experience and enlightening the public.

Bedan brothers:* Danny is right.* Gameface is indeed a forum for gentlemen and ladies where even brothers (and sisters) can debate topics without malice.* Thus, I acknowledged my experience with our Woho chanting as an isolated case.* I also apologize to my Bedan brothers who were offended by the word "aped" I used.* I'm a proud Bedan as most of you know and I have always done my best not to tarnish our alma mater (except some profanity when the situation calls for it* ;D).

I am also with the same thoughts and concern as one of our Atenean friend who posted that the burden of preserving our traditional cheers is with us.* Unless we do something concrete to preserve its use, we might wake up one day hearing our beloved heritage sequestered by those whose tradition-bearers are more active and resolute.

I wish we are given the chance to do so.

Alex Bernabe
GS 73 & HS 77

To add my devalued two cents, this discussion reopened long-locked compartments in my memory. I now remember my grade school batch mates from another section spoofing the Lion’s Roar to heckle one of their own classmates named Ortiz in intramural games by replacing the words of the chant with “Rosanna Ortiz,” in reference to the hot movie starlet of that time (“Rooooooooooooooooo-SANNA Ooooooorrrrrr-TIZ!.” :)). That was in the early seventies, perhaps 1971-72. Being a grade schooler, I was too young to think about its origins then, nor was I already bitten by the NCAA bug then. The bug bit me in ‘74, when I entered high school.
I have to admit that I was among those(or was I the only one? :D) who strongly reacted to Brother Stardust’s post though I have not made my sentiments* public, nor made a rebuttal. Others have posted more eloquently than I that I could add no more value in prolonging the discussion.* Though I have to say it, I have offended him as well, which is not what I had in mind in the first place (kaya hindi ko na nga sinabing “Elder Brother” ;D ), neglecting to realize that Bedan pride is alive and deep-seated in him as well, and he has backed up his pride with more action and tangible results than I in recent years, particularly in Season 82. My apologies for that, Bro.

I am in agreement to the preservation of traditional cheers. In fact, I'd rather that we did away with the SBCA cheer, as it was not an original Bedan cheer, it was initially a spoof cheer by SBC which caught on in 1977-78, but became worn out over the years as the current variant of it is no longer catchy ("SBCA-Animo San Beda"), and versions of it become a staple by almost all schools in the NCAA over the years (T-C-Q-C! TCQC Trinity BIRA!!!* *S-S-C-R! SSCR, Bravo, BASTE!!!, to name a few). Kung puro lugaw ang inihahanda ng mga karinderya, masusuya ka rin. Let the Letranites keep it. I am in agreement with Stardust that this is the best version yet, and has withstood the test of time (though I'd rather hear S-J-L-C than C-S-J-L, but that's just me). Aren't we looking for a chance to preserve each schools' traditional cheers? Well, aside from keeping, giving back is another way.

Ramon Latorre
GS'74, HS '78. CAS '82

danny
06-15-2007, 04:47 AM
Finally this:

Congrats La Salle for winning the crown!

WE were ready to do a minor* ;D battle on the hard court but a major one on the stands.* We achieved the major goal but lost the minor one. The reclaiming of our cheers and chants has been on our agenda since the early part of* 2006.

We've just reclaimed the Lion's Roar.

Wooohooooooo! Go San Beda Fight!

I think the Indian Chant is a trivial matter for you guys because you have no sense of affinity with Native American iconography.* It has* nothing to do with the La Sallian lore.* Merci, but Native American symbolism and chanting has been part and parcel of our tradition.

Anyway, good luck to* your quest in the* UAAP. Our Bedan brother, JV Casio ,will be of great service to your cause.

Good luck to you guys!

danny
06-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Think about these questions we raised

Lion and fellow Bedans, do we still need the clock? I think one fundametal question was already answered, hopefully to our satisfaction.

Let me convince you, my Bedan brothers.

FGT has already acknowledged the INDIANNESS of the chant. This already confirms our suggestion that they were doing a Native American Chant. They were indeed "playing Indian". Let us at least give them credit for that confirmation.

On the question of our influence on this "Indian-playing", it's already self evident. Should we expect a categorical answer? Of course not. It is uncommon for a school with ltradition and pride to openly declare such. (Kudos goes to UST, the UAAP champs, regarding "Stand on the Grandstand" and of course to us NCAA champs regarding the SBCA letter cheer, an adaption of Arriba Letran. :D)

In essence, even without a categorical answer on the other questions, we've already reclaimed* the chant. It is but proper to be magnanimous.

I'm tired. ;D

NCAA, here we go.

Umpa! Umpa! Umpa!

LION
06-15-2007, 07:37 AM

We shall therefore await Greenarrows and the other responsible La Sallites to argue the case for La Salle.* But before doing that, kindly read the subsequent discussions concerning the Lion's Roar in this sub-forum so that we won't have to repeat arguments and recycle issues.

The clock is now ticking...............*

This is not about passing responsibility to my fellow La Sallians, it's just that my knowlege regarding the subject is insufficient. So it's useless for me to comment on something that i've incomplete knowlege. No use for grandstanding or bravado here. *

Let me clarify my earlier statement regarding "committing" greenarrows & other la sallians to answer for La Salle's position. I mentioned greenarrows and other La Sallian alumni for the simple reason that there were contentions made by some in this thread that La Salle first used the indian chant in the late 60's and it just so happened that it was during their time. This was an assumption on my part. Maybe, they could enlighten us to the veracity of such report but as to whether they want to dwell and contribute their thoughts here, that's the big question. I would not dare impose anything on them to give a reply or even make a deadline.... as i'm not even sure if they are aware of this thread.

If you have the patience to wait then allow the clock to tick & tick & tick.

FGT, I just quoted you. You have contradicted yourself a lot of times already. People here can see that.

You posted in a sub-forum exclusively dedicated to cheers and drumbeats. Then you said you don't want to dwell on the issue of the chant and "would let greenArrows and other La Sallites with a view on it to have a clearer perspective and maybe settle the issue once & for all".

I therefore reiterate my invitation to Greenarrows and the other La Sallites to enlighten us on the indian chant. We have explained our side. It's your turn.

The clock is still ticking.

danny
06-15-2007, 08:00 AM
;D* Bedan Seniority. This we also value. Anyway, we do have the patience of Job. ;D

LION
06-15-2007, 08:07 AM
;D* Bedan Seniority. This we also value. Anyway, we do have the patience of Job. ;D

Pareng danny,

We will give them all the time they need to explain their side. But the more they delay, they will find it more difficult to convince people. Seriously, some La Sallites have already conceded this issue. As I have said, there is always an honorable way of meeting the issue head on. It is just a matter of choice.

Ang init dito. Buti pa diyan malamig hahaha.

gameface_one
06-16-2007, 10:49 PM
^^^Kindly post non-thread related messages in the Official's Table forum and pls cite the cases specifically.

Everybody now back to the topic.

Thanks.

atenista_comm
06-17-2007, 05:37 PM

continue to roar.

Very Lasallian. If you get my drift.

Hyukhyukhyukhyuk!!!

SIMBA
06-17-2007, 08:30 PM
sorry gameface_one. i posted already in Dear Gameface Team. again, my apologies. :)

danny
04-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Check this out. The Native American inspired Hippie Rain Chant. I would like to point out the fact that the Soundtrack which contained this chant was finished 18 weeks (4 months) after the event . No school in the Philippines could have used it one month after Woodstock as claimed by Tony Atayde.

Sorry Tony, but you never received any bootleg copy of the unfinished soundtrack for public broadcast in the country. THE THING DID NO EXIST YET, ONE MONTH PRIOR TO YOUR GAME AGAINST LETRAN. You probably played the bootleg (or pirated as we call it now) record after the release in 1970.

Wala namang lokohan. Bawal yan. And I also have the copy of the book cited below (the beauty of public libraries in this part of the world).

Our basis for using this is the Hippie affinity to Native Americans. I do not know about the others. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NetN6zdACMw&feature=related

http://animosanbeda.wordpress.com/

Honoring the Counter-Culture Generation.

Two decades of defiant Indian Yelling and War Chanting, coupled by the personal experience with student unrest centered on Mendiola, Bedans of the late 60s and early 70s identified themselves with the global counter-culture generation whose apex was reached during the August 15-17 Woodstock festival of 1969. Woodstock ’69 was considered the highlight of counter-culture Hippie generation with roots in both Eastern mysticism and the American Indian way of life.

The event was conceived as a profit oriented commercial venture. Tickets were sold, food stand concessions were agreed and a movie-documentary and soundtrack/music rights to cover the event were signed. Events overpowered the commercial motivation in favor of a spontaneous gathering of Hippies and wannabes. The rest was history.

The Woodstock Festival was filmed and an accompanying soundtrack was produced.

Woodstock (subtitled “3 Days of Peace & Music)* was the documentary about the festival released March 26, 1970. The film was directed by Micahel Wadleigh and edited by (amongst others) Martin Scorsese and Thelma Schoonaked; Schoonmaker was nominated for an Academy Award for Film Editing. It received the Academy Award for Documentary Feature, as well as a nomination for Best Sound. The Official Director’s Cut spans 225 minutes.

Music from the Original Soundtrack and More, or more commonly Woodstock, was the live music soundtrack originally released one year later (August 15, 1970). It came out as a set of 3 LPs. According to the book titled “Woodstock: An Inside Look at the Movie That Shook Up the World and Defined a Generation” , the soundtrack was finished in record time of 18 weeks or approximately 4 months after the festival.

The Bedan infatuation with Native American war whooping was fundamental in the immediate adaptation of the American Indian inspired Hippie Rain Chant. Bedans were already chanting a shorter version of the “Wohoooo” for two decades and the emergence of the hippie wohoooo after Woodstock ’69 was an opportunity to enhance the Indian war whooping. The integration of the Hippie Rain Chant with Bedan Indian cheering tradition particularly the Indian Yell was openly embraced.

San Beda’s Lion’s Roar (a.k.a. Indian chant) was initially used to signify the entry of the Little Indians and as a prelude to the Indian Yell. Eventually it served as a stand-alone chant distinct from the Indian Yell itself. Considered as a derivative chant of all the previous “Wohoooos”, and other American Indian inspired war whooping , the Roar is still an integral part of the Bedan arsenal in the battle for supremacy in Philippine collegiate sports.

The history and Native American inspiration of the Hippies ,along with their Rain Chant, was almost forgotten. The Establishment hijacked the Hippie Movement together with the underlying culture of defiance. The movement and their symbols were repackaged as “cool” commodities for commercial consumption. From counter-culture to commerce-culture, history drifted towards delusion and collective amnesia.

Being true and respectful of the counter-culture generation, we bring to you this video clip taken from the original movie “Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music” to acknowledge the indebtedness of the Bedan collegiate cheering to the Hippies and Native Americans.Witness the mud, filth and fury (well not exactly) of the original clip only down-to-earth street smart Bedans from the counter-culture generation would readily embrace!

The Bedan infatuation with American Indian is self-evident. The relationship of Hippies with Native Americans will not be denied!

Wooohooooooo! Go San Beda! Fight!

Note:

*An important clarification. Note that in the soundtrack, the Rain Chant was used as a segue to the music of Carlos Santana (August 16, Saturday). In the documentary film, the Rain Chant was recorded after the several hour long rainstorm and prior to the performance of Country Joe and the Fish (August 17, Sunday). Which is which? It was done after the rainstorm. The term used by the movie producer “Rain Chant” was actually a misnomer since the Indian Rain Chant was a prayer for rain. The Hippie Rain Chant was a celebration amidst the mud, rain and the filth. A “No Rain Chant” really!

Sources:

Woodstock: An Inside Look at the Movie That Shook Up the World and Defined a Generation edited by Dale Bell http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-Inside-Movie-Defined-Generation/dp/094118871X

Woodstock Festival. Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_Festival)

Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack. Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock:_Music_from_the_Original_Soundtrack_and_ More)

Discussions with Bedan Boosters and hardcore.

;D

danny
04-16-2008, 04:35 PM
http://animosanbeda.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/hippies-and-indians/

http://animosanbeda.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/powwow.jpg

“Pow Wow A Gathering Of The Tribes For A Human Be In”

Original poster designed by Rick Griffin, featuring an illustration of a Plains Indian on horseback cluching a blanket and holding an electric guitar, announcing the first ‘Human Be-In’Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, Jan. 14, 1967. Along with Ginsberg, the poster lists all the other main participants, who included Timothy Leary, Michael McClure, Gary Snyder, Lenore Kandel, Jerry Rubin, and Richard Alpert. Live music was provided by Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother & The Holding Co., Sir Douglas Quintet, Loading Zone, and a few members of Country Joe & The Fish, who backed folksinger Pat Kilroy. A rare, era-defining poster for the first mass Be -in, and the event generally considered to have ushered in the ‘Summer of Love’ in California.

----------------------------------

Hippies and Native Americans?

Carlos Santana, an icon of the counter-culture generation can explain the connection between Hippies and Indians.

”I bring practical spirituality together with the rebel from the street, because I still live the principles of the sixties. I’m still a hippie. We were rainbow warriors, reincarnated Native American Indians who wanted a different dimension of existence.” - taken from http://www.wie.org/j28/santana.asp

” San Francisco was the greatest blessing that transformed my existence,” proclaims Santana, who looks cool in a black ribbed cotton pullover shirt, black sweatpants, woven leather burgundy slip-ons, and a black Hugo cap. Around his neck is a large gold chain with a star shaped angel pendant that hangs mid-chest. “The hippies I hung out with were probing some serious, profound questions beyond government, beyond religion, beyond the status quo. Hippies represented the highest good for people on the planet—not for blacks, or whites, but for the whole thing. The real Hippies, I feel, are like reincarnated American Indians that we call Rainbow Warriors.” - taken from http://www.aumag.org/coverstory/May04cover.html

”Some hippies sold out. They came to San Francisco with fake mustaches just to get free drugs and sex and free food. But there’s real hippies still - American Indians, the first people of the land, and there’re still musicians who are deeply invested in utilizing their music.” - taken from http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?StoryID=11942&pagenum=0

In the Philippine Collegiate Sports, Indian War whooping is a Bedan Tradition since 1947 with the introduction of the Indian Yell. The “Woodstock Rain Chanting” adopted by Bedans as the Lion’s Roar (Indian Chant) in the late 60s/early 70s is part and parcel of that tradition.

Whoever said that Hippies have no connection with Native Americans?

Wooooohoooooooooo! Go San Beda Fight!

greenergy
04-17-2008, 12:29 AM
As what i've stated in PEx, the soundtrack was released only to the DJ's of specific radio stations after the 18 weeks of recording. Apparently, a copy also landed in the Philippines by December of 1969. It was only heard in the airwaves until the official release of the soundtrack to the public in August of 1970.

Last year, in the different forums you were just telling us that all along you already had that "rain chant" of La Salle in your Lion's Roar/Indian Yell with that same exact tune. You guys were also saying that before woodstock, you already have that same tune with you in the Lion's Roar/Indian Yell. And then just this April 2008, just a year after you were saying that you already have that same tune even before that Woodstock Fair, a Bedan blog arises saying that you guys also adopted such cheer from the hippies during the Woodstock. Come on guys! The turn of events were already clarified on how Woodstock Fair 1969 music came to the Philippines and how the Greenies acquired and use it. Whether the chant is native american inspired or not, the fact still remains that La Salle, specifically the LSGH Greenies, first used it in Philippine collegiate cheering.

Should La Salle have a native american background just to acquire such chant? Of course not. It's a matter of who used it first. If you're going to argue that a school should have a native american/indian culture of cheers then walang paroronoonan ang arguement natin.

On the other hand, like what dose stated, we are just correcting a misconception about what "Animo La Salle" means.* ;)

danny
04-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Stop the spin.

Look. A lot of schools eventually adopted the Hippie Rain Chant. It is now a shared chant among many students. Woodstokc was a popular movie and with a very popular soundtrack. Alam mo naman pinoy hippies na eventually naging jeproks.

First use? Mali nga ang recollection ni Mr. Tony Atyade at ni Greenarrows. Wala pang pwedeng i bootleg prior to your game against Letran, one month after Woodstock.

Why do an Indian Chant when you can yodel instead? Where in La Salle's tradition can you find an Indian War Whooping prior to Woodstock?

greenergy
04-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Stop the spin.

That is why i am correcting their statements. And that's why i, together with my La Sallian friends are researching to what really happened that time when that chant was first used by La Salle. And apparently, it was just used in 1970 during the start of the NCAA basketball wars in the juniors and that was in August or earlier. Based from what we've found out, Tony just said that they first heard (in his case since he's a DJ, played) it in a radio play in december 1969. From then on, that gave them the idea of using it in the following NCAA season.

Why? Do we need to have an indian orientation just to acquire such chant? Of course not.

danny
04-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Now we are moving. Greenergy, it is really not impossible to believe that impressionable young dudes would simultaneously fell in love with the Hippie Rain Chant. Bedans of the Hippie Generation like Sitsirya and MonL could attest to that. They've been doing it since the early 70's in intrumurals and the NCAA. La Sallites from that generation would also have the same reaction.

Our difference? The Bedan affinity with Native Americans. Our tradition of Indian war whooping since 1947.

Does it mean you cannot do an Indian Chant?

Sure you can Indian Chant. You can do as you please. Huwag lang kalilimutan ang Indianness ng Hippie Movement na kahit si Mr. Atyade ay hinid naniwala nung una. Sabi nga, from counter-culture to commerce-culture. Kaya nakalimutan ng karmihan ang historical context at influence the Native Americans sa North American civilization.

Goodluck on your endeavor greenergy and thank you for your time. We can all learn from one another you know. Just like we learned from Ateneo faithfuls about their pioneering works in organized cheering.

Animo! Vamos!

P.S.

Tony said he played a bootleg version prior to your game against Letran. Less than a month afterWoodstock.

The statement that the "soundtrack was finished 18 weeks after Woodstock" came from a Bedan blog based on the book presented. I doubt if Tony read the book already. If he said he played a bootleg version right after 18 weeks naman, I highly doubt his recolletion. Baka makakalimutin na siya dahil paibaiba ang version. He does not even know the difference between Woodstock and the Summer of Love. He thought it was one and the same. Baka nakalimutan din lang. ;)

I have a copy of the book which I can borrow from the public library. Mayroon pala nung libro na yan sa Pinas? Cool.

greenergy
04-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Now we are moving. Greenergy, it is really not impossible to believe that impressionable young dudes would simultaneously fell in love with the Hippie Rain Chant. Bedans of the Hippie Generation like Sitsirya and MonL could attest to that. They've been doing it since the early 70's in intrumurals and the NCAA. La Sallites from that generation would also have the same reaction.

Our difference? The Bedan affinity with Native Americans. Our tradition of* Indian war whooping since 1947.

Does it mean you cannot do an Indian Chant?

Sure you can Indian Chant. You can do as you please. Huwag lang kalilimutan ang Indianness ng Hippie Movement na kahit si Mr. Atyade ay hinid naniwala nung una.* Sabi nga, from counter-culture to commerce-culture. Kaya nakalimutan ng karmihan ang historical context at influence the Native Americans sa North American civilization.

Goodluck on your endeavor greenergy and thank you for your time. We can all learn from one another you know. Just like we learned from Ateneo faithfuls about their pioneering works in organized cheering.

Animo! Vamos!

Yeah, San Beda have also used that chant through your indian orientation. But we got to admit that t'was the Greenies, and later on elevated to the seniors [Green Archers], who first used it in the NCAA followed by different schools due to its "cool-ness". Hehe. And yeah, it must be against Letran Squires (i need to research more on this if it was indeed the Letran Squires that the Greenies are up against) that we're up against when we first use the now-called "Animo La Salle Rain Chant" and when it was first heard in the NCAA. Just please don't give us the notion that since San Beda have Indian cheering culture and that the "Rain Chant" is indian inspired means that they should be considered the first to use it.

I got to see that part of the book in the net that's why i knew that the record was only finished after 18 weeks. Well, based from my conversation with Tony, the time when the soundtrack has been recorded is in-line when when it was aired on the radio in December of 1969. That was after 18 weeks of 4months. About the bootleg version, he said that it came after a year when the soundtrack was officially sold to the public. He even said on one of his post in inboundpass.com, the bootleg version was played/released sometime in 1975. Hmmmm, when and where did he told you guys that the bootleg version was the first version to be played on the radio? Well, according to what we've researched, the bootleg version came later after the soundtrack was officially sold to the public in 1970.

I hope we can have more constructive conversations here and i hope that my friends and i can clear some of the misconceptions about our La Sallian cheering tradition.

Good Luck to all of us!

Animo Green! Animo White!
Animo La Salle!

danny
04-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Nope. You were not the one who used it first. We can also say we Bedans used it first in the NCAA and Intrmurals right after hearing the chant. Ano akala niyo? Kayo lang may radyo at LP player nung panahon na yun? :D

Hindi naman undergournd yan eh.

Why we used it? It's an Indian war whoop. We have the cultural and historical basis for adopting that. While the spoiled La Sallites from Greenhills simply wanted simply to be cool. A big difference. Substance over form. Indian war whooping tradition over pop culture.

greenergy
04-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Nope. You were not the one who use it first. We can also say we Bedans used in first in the NCAA and Intrmurals right after hearing the chant. Ano akala niyo? Kayo lang may radyo at LP player nung panahon na yun? :D

Why we used it? It's an* Indian war whoop.* We have the cultural and historical basis for adopting that. While the spoiled La Sallites from Greenhills simply wanted simply to be cool.* Big difference.

Yeah, but according to GH people that time they were the first to use it in the NCAA collegiate cheering and was just followed by different schools after they use it. Kumbaga sila una gumamit ng uso back then.

Sige, given the fact that you have this indian culture in your cheering tradition. But still, the Lasallians (Greenies) were the first one to use it. Parang ang lumabas, since indian inspired yung "Rain Chant" ng Woodstock mas may karapatan ang mga Bedans na gumamit ng chant na yun. Am i right?

danny
04-17-2008, 02:34 AM
According to Bedan elders we used it first back then. Then the impressionable La Sallites who wanted out of their sheltered environment wanted to be cool. Deviant cool.

Bedans on the otherhand were deeply situated in battle scarred Mendiola. Counter culture is a way of life during the protest era.

Karapatan. Nope. Use it as you please. Just don't forget that you are using a counter-culture Indian Chant. Sa totoo lang , hindi pa cool ang Hippies noon. Parang punk sila. Manstream youth especially those with sheltered lives look at them as the unwashed.

greenergy
04-17-2008, 02:36 AM
According to Bedan elders we used it first back then. Then the impressionable La Sallites who wanted out of their sheltered environment wanted to be cool. Deviant cool.

But when was it started? Ours started in the start of the NCAA juniors tourney in 1970.

And what im suspicious about is that, last year in the forums you weren't even mentioning about the Woodstock thing, you're just saying that it was with you even before the Woodstock event. While we were consistent in saying that ours was inspired by the chant that came from the Woodstock Fair.

danny
04-17-2008, 02:40 AM

But when was it started? Ours started in the start of the NCAA juniors tourney in 1970.

Intramurals and Seniors 1970. Paano na yan? ;)

Dude. Hinid cool ang Hippies sa Pinas nung panahon na yan. After the bad image of the Hippie Movement waned in later years, saka lang naging cool sa pinoy mainstream ang hippies. That was after the corporate world hijacked counter-culture and converted it to commerce culture. ;)

greenergy
04-17-2008, 02:49 AM

Intramurals and Seniors 1970. Paano na yan? ;)

Dude. Hinid cool ang Hippies sa Pinas nung panahon na yan. After the bad image of the Hippie Movement* waned in later years, saka lang naging cool sa pinoy mainstream ang hippies. That was after the corporate world hijacked counter-culture and converted it to commerce culture. ;)

Yeah, pero i'm not the one who first said that it was out of "cool-ness". Though i believe that the Lasallians back then were pretty stunned with such chant and whatever the image of the hippies back then they still adopted it.

Wait, before you said you had such chant all along (prior to the Woodstock Fair) and then after a year you'll declare that you also adopted it from the hippies of the Woodstock Fair. And before there was no exact year just in the 1970's and now it had an exact year. While in La Salle's case (even though there's a misinformation of the year) has been consistent that it was during the start of the NCAA when we first used it, and it was in 1970.

danny
04-17-2008, 02:54 AM
You were not pretty stunned by that chant. We've been unleashing Indian War whoops since 1947.

You wanted to "Play Indian" like the Bedans. Cool ang Indian War whooping ng mga Bedista kaya naki-Indian na din kayo without even knowing it.

Kailang niyo lang ba nalamang may affinity ang Hippies sa Native Americans?

greenergy
04-17-2008, 03:06 AM
You were not pretty stunned by that chant. We've been unleashing Indian War whoops since 1947.

You wanted to "Play Indian" like the Bedans. Cool ang Indian War whooping ng mga Bedista kaya naki-Indian na din kayo without even knowing it.
Kailan(g) niyo lang ba nalamang may affinity ang Hippies sa Native Americans?

Indian or not, we've been the first to do that specific chant. Just because it is an indian inspired chant means that "nakiki-indian" kami. Maybe because those people who did that chant are native americans then made that chant indian inspired. Or maybe because it was also done as "wooooooo woooooooooo" that make it as indian inspired.

By the way, don't assume.

danny
04-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Now you are denying the Indianness of the Hippie Movement.

In North America , rain chanting is an Indian Prayer for rain. The WAhooooo , an Indian War Hoop, was first introduced by Dartmouth College in their cheers in the late 1800s.

I assume you are no history nor a sociology buff thus the ignorance of the historical context. If this is the case, I suggest you read about the Native American history and their 1960s struggle along with the civil rights movement and the pacifist Hippie Movement.

Mahabang usapan yan. I suggest you hit the books first.

If Carlos Santana says that Hippie are reincarnated Native Americans, and that hippies are still alive and they are in fact the Native Americans, who am I to say otherwise.

greenergy
04-17-2008, 03:32 AM
Now you are denying the Indianness of the Hippie Movement.

In North America , rain chanting is an Indian Prayer for rain. The WAhooooo , an Indian War Hoop, was first introduced by Dartmouth College in their cheers in the late 1800s.

I assume you are no history nor a sociology buff* thus the ignorance of the historical context. If this is the case, I suggest you read about the Native American history and their 1960s struggle along with* the civil rights movement and the pacifist Hippie Movement.

Mahabang usapan yan. I suggest you hit the books first.

If Carlos Santana says that Hippie are reincarnated Native Americans, and that hippies are still alive and they are in fact the Native Americans, who am I to say otherwise.*

If that's the case then i believe you. What i was referring to for you not to assume is that just because we are doing that chant means that "nakiki indian" na kami.

Going back to the topic, sige Bedans have a point of adopting it because of your indian nature, La Sallians adopted it because they were stunned and they liked that chant. The thing is we've been consistent that we already used it in 1970 during the NCAA juniors game, while you guys don't have a specific claim on when you guys started it. Perhaps only now in our conversation. Your fellow Bedans even claimed in one of the forums that such chant with that specific tune has been with you before the Woodstock Fair took place... So pano yun?

danny
04-17-2008, 03:39 AM
You are doing a native American inspired Hippie Indian Chant.

Thus, just like the Hippies with their Native American affinity, we are all "playing Indian". In the Philippines La Salles' Indian playing only started in the 70s without even understanding the Indian role play. While back in Mendiola Indian War whooping has been the norm since 1947.

What is so hard to understand about that?

You started Indian Chanting when? 1970, with your adoption of the Hippie Rain Chant.

We started Indian war whooping since 1947 with the Indian Yell and other Indian sounding chants. In 1970 (according to sitsirya and MonL who were there) we readily adopted the Indian Rain Chant of the Hippies because of the organic relationhsip with Bedan Indian role playing.

Ang gusto niyo lang kasi, kayo ang nauna. Yung lang yun.

Kami hindi lang kung kailan kundi pati ang dahilan.

Ganito lang yan, according to GreenArrows, only Bedans use native American Symbols and iconography. This includes all the chanting variation that can be identified with Native Americans.

That solves all your problem.

Should you drop your Indian role playing. Nope. Ok lang yan. Just remember the Indianness of the Chant.

greenergy
04-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Hmm...Eto ang takbo ng mga arguments:

1) The bedans daw were the first to use to "Wooh" cheer, ginaya lang daw sa kanila ng La Salle.

2) When the older La Sallians explained that the cheer was inspired by "Rain Chant" of Woodstock '69, the bedans merely shrugged it off as "kwentong barbero", maintaining their stance that they were the ones who used it first.

3) Recently, a bedan blog came out, detailing how their version of the "Wooh" cheer. It was also inspired daw by the "Rain Chant" of Woodstock '69, same as La Salle's, so they drop the "who used it first" argument, coz if what was written on the blog was true, then La Salle and beda used the cheer about the same time.

4) When the "older, more credible" La Sallians recalled from memory that it was '69 when they first used the cheer having heard it on the radio, bedans again try to downplay this by saying it is inaccurate. It sort of like saying that the recollection of the older La Sallians is bad, while that of the older bedans is pretty accurate.

5) Faced with overwhelming accounts from the older La Sallians, bedans now accept the possibility of La Salle having used the chant first. Now, what they say that they are not after who used it first, but rather the appropriateness of the chant to the one using it. Since La Salle has no Indian affinity, it reduces their right to use it, even if they are possibly first in using it in the first place. Besides, they have been using similar Indian inspired cheers since 1947 so they are still first, they say.

If you would analyze the flow of the arguments, bedan's started with "who used it first" to "who has the right to use it and who used Indian inspired cheers first". Please let me know if I have missed anything above.

It is a mere recollection of the blogger And we do not accept ,even remotely,the possibility that la sallians used it first..

Nah. It isn't just a mere recollection, it's already a researched thing. We, the researchers doesn't just accept what one La Sallian said, we consult the others even some outsiders to make one La Sallian's claim more credible.

Animo La Salle!

danny
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Let's see.

1. La Salle's oral history about the 1969 adaptation of the Rain Chant was found to be a complete fabrication when the blogger presented a book recounting the 18 week long labor to finish the soundtrack for post production. Take note, to finish editing the soundtrack for post production. Greenergy , there was no advance copy sent to DZRJ on December 1969. Sorry, there is no truth to your claim that they sent DZRJ an advance copy.

Since the 1969 was an improbable year, you guys are now adopting the year "1970" . Following the lead of our Bedan elder sitsirya whose post was already a year ago.

2. La Salle's inability to comprehend the Indianness of the Hippie Movement and by extension the Indian inspired Rain Chanting (probably out of ignorance or just a lazy mind) has also been debunked by Hippie Carlos Santana. Despite the lack of relationship with anything Native American, La Sallites continue to "play Indian".

Still the simple Bedan questions will remain. Why play Indian on the first place? Why not yodel like William Tell?

3. The "who used it first" argument is primarily a La Salle tactic without recognizing tradition nor the contextual relationship to school symbolisms. Used in the question of "Animo" and now" Indian Inspired Hippie Rain Chant." It was actually the La Sallites who first accused us of copying Animo and the Hippie Rain Chant. Backread and you will realize that it was La Sallites who continue to insist on using the "who used it first" to claim something as their own. You do not speak of tradition and lore. Just plain "we used it first".

Greenergy just recently used that on this thread. Huwag mambaligtad.

4. In the context of Philippine collegiate sports, if it's Native American it must be Bedan. This is according to Greenarrows himself, not me. :D

5. Backread to see the 1950s Bedan and Atenean cheerbook. In the Bedan cheerbook, look for the Spanish Cheer.

danny
04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
P.S.
You haven't answered my question before on why you're claiming that you also adopted the chant from the Woodstock just recently when La Salle in the first place was already firm on saying that we adopted it from the Woodstock Fair? Last year and years before you were just telling us and everyone else that the "rain chant" meaning that same tune from the Woodstock was already with you even before that event took place?

Animo La Salle!

Wahoo war chanting chanting was already with us even before Woodstock. As to the specific Woodstock Rain Chant, hindi ba obvious na itinama na yan ni Sitsirya last year pa. We adopted that in 1970 while you supposedly adopted Indian Chanting in 1969...now moved to 1970 also.

Bakit ayaw niyo ng yodel? Bakit Indian Chant?

greenergy
04-17-2008, 02:57 PM
P.S.
You haven't answered my question before on why you're claiming that you also adopted the chant from the Woodstock just recently when La Salle in the first place was already firm on saying that we adopted it from the Woodstock Fair? Last year and years before you were just telling us and everyone else that the "rain chant" meaning that same tune from the Woodstock was already with you even before that event took place?

Animo La Salle!

Wahoo war chanting chanting was already with us even before Woodstock. As to the specific Woodstock Rain Chant, hindi ba obvious na itinama na yan ni Sitsirya last year pa. We adopted that in 1970 while you supposedly adopted* Indian Chanting in 1969...now moved to 1970 also.

According to Tony and the DJ's in DZRJ plus a number of La Sallians that we came across with, it was already played by DZRJ sometime in the latter part of December, just after more or less 18 months of recording. They were, in the first place, the one's who played that thing in their radio station that makes them more credible. But what is corrected is that, it was first used by the La Sallians in 1970, but first hear it during that radio play. And before even sitsirya corrected San Beda's "Rain Chant" origin, La Sallians have already said that we already adopted it from the Woodstock Fair.

We aren't saying that it was the "Indian Chant" that we adopted, but only that specific chant that was played in the radio that time that came from the woodstock wherein it was known as the "Rain Chant" or "Crowd Rain Chant" of the woodstock fair. Let's not make this complicated, La Salle was the one who first use it, that's all. You have an indian cheering orientation but it was La Salle who use that specific tune of the chant.

toti_mendiola
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
P.S.

Animo La Salle!

Wahoo war chanting chanting was already with us even before Woodstock. As to the specific Woodstock Rain Chant, hindi ba obvious na itinama na yan ni Sitsirya last year pa. We adopted that in 1970 while you supposedly adopted Indian Chanting in 1969...now moved to 1970 also.

According to Tony and the DJ's in DZRJ plus a number of La Sallians that we came across with, it was already played by DZRJ sometime in the latter part of December, just after more or less 18 months of recording. They were, in the first place, the one's who played that thing in their radio station that makes them more credible. But what is corrected is that, it was first used by the La Sallians in 1970, but first hear it during that radio play. And before even sitsirya corrected San Beda's "Rain Chant" origin, La Sallians have already said that we already adopted it from the Woodstock Fair.

We aren't saying that it was the "Indian Chant" that we adopted, but only that specific chant that was played in the radio that time that came from the woodstock wherein it was known as the "Rain Chant" or "Crowd Rain Chant" of the woodstock fair. Let's not make this complicated, La Salle was the one who first use it, that's all. You have an indian cheering orientation but it was La Salle who use that specific tune of the chant.

Ang tibay naman ng pilipinas para mabigyan ang mga radio rp dj’s ng advanvce copy na kagagawa lang, eh hindi pa nga siguro dumaan sa kamay ng mga executives ng recording label at take note “ na after 1 year pa ilalabas for public use. Ang lupit niyo!1 hahahaha

greenergy
04-17-2008, 03:09 PM
P.S.

Animo La Salle!

Wahoo war chanting chanting was already with us even before Woodstock. As to the specific Woodstock Rain Chant, hindi ba obvious na itinama na yan ni Sitsirya last year pa. We adopted that in 1970 while you supposedly adopted* Indian Chanting in 1969...now moved to 1970 also.

Ang tibay naman ng pilipinas para mabigyan ang mga radio rp dj’s ng advanvce copy na kagagawa lang, eh hindi pa nga siguro dumaan sa kamay ng mga executives ng recording label* at take note “ na after 1 year pa ilalabas for public use. Ang lupit niyo!1 hahahaha

That is why it was only called a radio play then. Only for radio station use.

Correction, it was only DZRJ that was given a copy in the Philippines since they were the only rock station that time thus, they always and strive hard to be up to date.

danny
04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
December 1969? Sabi mo lang yun nung malaman mong 18 weeks o 4 months tinapos ang soundtrack. Nabasa mo dun sa blog ano. Ano daw ginamit nila Vinyl Record? E katatapos lang ng editing at hindi ng prduction. Alam ko nasa libro din ang budget sa Woodstock. Hindi ata kasama dun ang magpadala ng copies sa mga radio stations abroad. Ewan ko lang ha.

Ano ba sabi sa libro? Baka naman parang August 1969 debacle na naman yan?

On the Hippie Chant.

You guys have no understanding of the Hippie Movement and the affinity to Native Americans. We used it in 1970 in the intramurals and the NCAA because it's an Indian chant.

Kayo, wala lang. Gandang i-chant. Yun lang ang dahilan.

greenergy
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
December 1969?* Sabi mo lang yun nung malaman mong 18 weeks o 4 months tinapos ang soundtrack. Nabasa mo dun sa blog ano. Ano daw ginamit nila Vinyl Record? E katatapos lang ng editing at hindi ng prduction.* Alam ko nasa libro din ang budget sa Woodstock. Hindi ata kasama dun ang magpadala ng copies sa mga radio stations abroad. Ewan ko lang ha.

Ano ba sabi sa libro? Baka naman parang August 1969 debacle na naman yan?

On the Hippie Chant.

You guys have no understanding of the Hippie Movement and the affinity to Native Americans. We used it in 1970 in the intramurals and the NCAA because it's an Indian chant.

Kayo, wala lang. Gandang i-chant. Yun lang ang dahilan.

Nope, i don't know why it isn't in the book. And yes, i've seen that part of the book that was photocopied by my co-researchers (i just don't know where they got it). But what made it credible are the actual DJ's (aside from Tony) of DZRJ and a number of Greenies who heard the music through that station in the radio. December 1969, Tony also said that in one of his post in inbounpass.com: "and I clearly remember that DZRJ first aired it December 1969 because all the DJs got a vopy(sic) of the". And just to verify it again, i contacted him in the email just recently and consulted other Lasallians just to make sure.* ;)

toti_mendiola
04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Yan ang hirap kasi sa kanila. they are basing the facts from sources whom have biases. sila sila lang naman ang nag a agree sa mga inputs nila and then they will spread it like gospel truth. hahahaha.
Balita ko DLSC si rin ang naunang mga hippie sa pilipinas ayon sa kanila. wahahahaha

danny
04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Wow Decmeber 1969 may kopya na sa Pilipinas! Katatpos pa lang ng editing! Validate that claim from a non-partisan source. A book like the one presented in the Bedan blog will be acceptable.

Pero 1970 na din kayo di ba? Kasi kahapon lang 1969 pa eh.

greenergy
04-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Yan ang hirap kasi sa kanila. they are basing the facts from sources whom have biases. sila sila lang naman ang nag a agree sa mga inputs nila and then they will spread it like gospel truth. hahahaha.
Balita ko DLSC si rin ang naunang mga hippie sa pilipinas ayon sa kanila. wahahahaha

Again and again and again and again... Only that chant with that specific tune is the one that we're contesting. Nothing more, nothing less.

lekiboy
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Let's see.

1. La Salle's oral history about the 1969 adaptation of the Rain Chant was found to be a complete fabrication* when the blogger presented a book recounting the 18 week long labor to finish the soundtrack for post production. Take note, to finish editing the soundtrack for post production. Greenergy , there was no advance copy sent to* DZRJ on December 1969. Sorry, there is no truth to your claim that they sent DZRJ an advance copy.

Since the 1969 was an improbable year, you guys are now adopting the year "1970" . Following the lead of our Bedan elder sitsirya whose post was already a year ago.

2. La Salle's inability to comprehend the Indianness of the Hippie Movement and by extension the Indian inspired Rain Chanting (probably out of ignorance or just a lazy mind) has also been debunked by Hippie Carlos Santana. Despite the lack of relationship with anything Native American, La Sallites continue to "play Indian".

Still the simple Bedan questions will remain. Why play Indian on the first place? Why not yodel like William Tell?

3. The "who used it first" argument is primarily a La Salle tactic without recognizing tradition nor the contextual relationship to school symbolisms. Used* in the question of "Animo" and now" Indian Inspired Hippie Rain Chant."* *It was actually the La Sallites who first* accused us of copying Animo and the Hippie Rain Chant. Backread and you will realize that it was La Sallites who continue to insist on using the "who used it first" to claim something as their own. You do not speak of tradition and lore. Just plain "we used it first".

Greenergy just recently used that on this thread. Huwag mambaligtad.

4. In the context of Philippine collegiate sports, if it's Native American it must be Bedan. This is according to Greenarrows himself, not me. :D

5. Backread to see the 1950s Bedan and Atenean cheerbook. In the Bedan cheerbook, look for the Spanish Cheer.

see??? dan! another flow of new infos - tsk....this time, it is DZRJ - akala ko ba sa DWKC lang... *well, if the discussion will flow like these, we might as well let people sign a statement with their batches and narratives with it... Labo!

well, for those old la sallites i closely know who were students in the 70s and early 80s, they do not remember doing this (ripped) *LIONS' roar during their days....they do NOT even know how it is called.....ang dali kasing sabihin na naki-ride on lang kayo sa hippie era noon supported by dates - but on the games itself - there were no green people doing that....it just so happened that they were also living in those years :) and heard it- e pwede na...

On the ANIMO:
i have a pre-war doc from mendiola with SBC using Animo as a cheer...my kuyas here just requested me to refrain from doing it to avoid more friction....but with the discussions we are having right now, i will not be surprised that another info / alibi will soon pop out>>> burned in the war, misplaced, i have seen it but can't remember, gonna lika get it, you know, it's like this e.....:)

On the LIONS' ROAR:
nakakapagod na pabago-bago ang sagot, mga repapips... let's just ask the neutral ones for their inputs...

FOR NON-BEDANS and *NON_LA SALLITES *here in gameface:

1- did you hear DLSC chanted this in the 70s? ( NCAA)
2- for the UAAP people here who watched the games of early 80s * - did you hear DLSC/U chanted this in the 80s?
3- when did you hear them do this?

Alex Yap
GS 87, HS 91

danny
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Again and again and again and again... Only that chant with that specific tune is the one that we're contesting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oo nga. Yun nga.

From 1969 now it's 1970. The same as our story.

Hindi kayo ang nauna. At lalalung walang dahilang mag-Indian pana kayo. Liban lang sa pagiging uso nito sa mga latak ng lipunan at ng ilang peti-b nung panahon na yun.

Lekiboy,

Ganun na nga.

dose
04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
inangkupo - i think you have to do a back read...around 61 pages.........PARE>

Pare baka ikaw ang kailangan mag-back read.

Yung fourh point ko, kung sino nagsimula ng "gayahan" discussion. May isang beda na nagpost kung bakit similar daw ang lion's roar ninyo sa cheer ng La Salle. Take note, kasama mo sa beda yan ha. Sumagot si Danny, eto yun:

You are wrong about the Lions Roar young cub.* La Salle never had that cheer before the 70's.* It was a derivation of the Indian Yell which was composed in the late 40's. We've been yelling that since then. It was Native American Inspired.* San Beda is the only school that pays tribute to both the fierce Red Men of the New World and the Warrior Scots of the Old World, considered as brothers in spirit. We adopted their symbols and chants.* Along with the Indian Yell, the Lions Roar is our rendition of Red Indian war chant. In our case, there is consistency and logic in the* usage of the Lions Roar. Even the use of the Red Lion Rampant of Scotland/England is consistent with the Benedictine history.

As for La Salle, what has an Indian war chant got to do with a Swiss folk hero named Willam Tell? Nada. In the late 70's they adopted* the roar to the horror of many Bedans. They usually yell it when they were agianst Ateneo as confirmed by an Atenean son of a Bedan in Atenista.net.

I too* would like to know what inpsired La Salle to adopt a Red Indian war whoop.*

I don't know about the other one.* But if you have proof, we will gladly recognize Ateneo as an inspiration. Hindi naman tayo ma-emote pagdating sa ganyan.*

Download the Animo Primer in Bedista.com. for starters. A Bedan collective undertook the initiative to put into print a few of the most important Bedan symbols , traditions and lore for the benefit of our new borthers and sisters during the PEP rally and Integration.

Eto pa ang isang post ng kasama mong si LION:

cub,

I am quite surprised that you are not aware of the Lion's Roar.* That woo......oooohh, my friend, is the Lion's Roar. Papanong ginaya ng San Beda yon sa La Salle?* *On the contrary, La Salle ang gumaya nun sa atin.*

Pero sige lang. Ok lang na gamitin nila. No big deal for us. Sabi nga ni Danny, hindi naman natin ipagkakait yan. Wag lang nilang angkinin na sa kanila.

This debate about copying of cheers has unfortunately reached gameface.* matagal ng pinag debatehan ito sa ibang sites.

Dun pa lang sa post ni Danny, derivation daw ng Indian Yell ang Lion's Roar. 50+ pages later, inspired na daw ng woodstock. Hehehe!

Si LION naman daw, hindi daw niyo ipagkakait sa La Salle na gamitin yung Lion's Roar (as if it was yours to begin with). Wag lang daw angkinin ng La Salle (again, as if it was yours to begin with).

Ngayon, pakisagot na ang mga points na ni-raise ko. Ulitin ko lang:

1) Pwede niyo bang gamitin ang "tradition" as argument? Wala ba ang La Salle nito?

2)* Dahil ba Indian inspired ang "Rain Chant" (na hindi niyo alam nung simula na galing pala sa woodstock), hindi ito pwedeng gamitin ng La Salle?

3) Pano niyo nasabi na biased ang La Salle account at unbiased naman ang blog ng isang bedista? Na mas accurate ang recollection ng bedan elders sa La Salle elders.

4) Yung fourth nasagot ko na. Kayo nauna. Please backread ang let me know kung saan maipapakita mo na nauna ang Lasalista sa "copycat" issue.

5) Kaya niyo bang iprove na "Courage San Beda" ang dapat i-adopt ng La Salle, at hindi the other way around. Sa Spanish cheer niyo, meron bang linya kung saan ginamit ang "Animo" sa ganitong konteksto? Sa La Salle cheerbok, meron "Animo LSC".

Pakisagot lang po. Friendly discussion lang. Ito kasi yung mga punto ng ipinipilit niyo eh. Paki-defend lang kung pwede.

lekiboy
04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
dose, see my responses in red...

Pare baka ikaw ang kailangan mag-back read.

Yung fourh point ko, kung sino nagsimula ng "gayahan" discussion. May isang beda na nagpost kung bakit similar daw ang lion's roar ninyo sa cheer ng La Salle. Take note, kasama mo sa beda yan ha. Sumagot si Danny, eto yun:

You are wrong about the Lions Roar young cub.* La Salle never had that cheer before the 70's. MERON BA TALAGA?? * It was a derivation of the Indian Yell which was composed in the late 40's. We've been yelling that since then. It was Native American Inspired.* San Beda is the only school that pays tribute to both the fierce Red Men of the New World and the Warrior Scots of the Old World, considered as brothers in spirit. We adopted their symbols and chants.* Along with the Indian Yell, the Lions Roar is our rendition of Red Indian war chant. In our case, there is consistency and logic in the* usage of the Lions Roar. Even the use of the Red Lion Rampant of Scotland/England is consistent with the Benedictine history.- Lahat tama- may naiba ba sa stand namin? sabihin mo sa akin kung saan ang malabo at ipapaliwanag ko sa yo, pare from SALLE.

As for La Salle, what has an Indian war chant got to do with a Swiss folk hero named Willam Tell? Nada. In the late 70's they adopted* the roar to the horror of many Bedans. They usually yell it when they were agianst Ateneo as confirmed by an Atenean son of a Bedan in Atenista.net.

I too* would like to know what inpsired La Salle to adopt a Red Indian war whoop.*

I don't know about the other one.* But if you have proof, we will gladly recognize Ateneo as an inspiration. Hindi naman tayo ma-emote pagdating sa ganyan.*

Eto pa ang isang post ng kasama mong si LION:

cub,

I am quite surprised that you are not aware of the Lion's Roar.* That woo......oooohh, my friend, is the Lion's Roar. Papanong ginaya ng San Beda yon sa La Salle?* *On the contrary, La Salle ang gumaya nun sa atin.*

Pero sige lang. Ok lang na gamitin nila. No big deal for us. Sabi nga ni Danny, hindi naman natin ipagkakait yan. Wag lang nilang angkinin na sa kanila. OBVIOUSLY,* you do not know the origins of this discussion, naririnig mo ba mga kasama mo sa SALLE? It was an answer to a claim from your kind that we copied you.This debate about copying of cheers has unfortunately reached gameface.* matagal ng pinag debatehan ito sa ibang sites.

Dun pa lang sa post ni Danny, derivation daw ng Indian Yell ang Lion's Roar. 50+ pages later, inspired na daw ng woodstock. Hehehe- you clearly do not know what you are saying.

Si LION naman daw, hindi daw niyo ipagkakait sa La Salle na gamitin yung Lion's Roar (as if it was yours to begin with). Wag lang daw angkinin ng La Salle (again, as if it was yours to begin with). Hindi mo ba NABASA?* "LIONS' ROAR" ..... kanino ba yun? sa Don Bosco? Lions kame- Kayo, Archers, tama ba? :):):):) so pag ginaya namin cheer nyo sa SALLE, ano sasabihin nyo?

Ngayon, pakisagot na ang mga points na ni-raise ko. Ulitin ko lang: SIGE PO, SASAGUTIN KO NANG DIRESTO at TAPAT:

1) Pwede niyo bang gamitin ang "tradition" as argument? YES. Wala ba ang La Salle nito? WALA, dahil sa dalawang usapin ng ANIMO at LION's roar, di pa ninyo* napapatunayan na hindi niyo ginaya ang mga ito. Ang inyong mga kuntensyon ay pabago-bago at parang kabute sa gubat.* :D

2)* Dahil ba Indian inspired ang "Rain Chant" (na hindi niyo alam nung simula na galing pala sa woodstock), hindi ito pwedeng gamitin ng La Salle? HINDI.... dahil kame ang nauna.... di magandang ugali ang nanggagaya...

3) Pano niyo nasabi na biased ang La Salle account at unbiased naman ang blog ng isang bedista? Na mas accurate ang recollection ng bedan elders sa La Salle elders. - honestly, because we are more comfortable with the reputation and credibility of our fellow Bedans than people from SALLE. I am very sorry but history has eroded your reputation on these things.

4) Yung fourth nasagot ko na. Kayo nauna. Please backread ang let me know kung saan maipapakita mo na nauna ang Lasalista sa "copycat" issue.- nope, di kame ang nauna...we are only taking back what is originally ours..

5) Kaya niyo bang iprove na "Courage San Beda" ang dapat i-adopt ng La Salle, at hindi the other way around].- Honestly, I do not care what Salle will adopt or not adopt. Paki ko, di ba?[/color]---- Sa Spanish cheer niyo, meron bang linya kung saan ginamit ang "Animo" sa ganitong konteksto? Sa La Salle cheerbok, meron "Animo LSC".- i do not know why you want to include this context as our discussion is on usage as a cheer or a battle cry, not on the trivial order of words.

Pakisagot lang po. Friendly discussion lang. Ito kasi yung mga punto ng ipinipilit niyo eh. Paki-defend lang kung pwede. - Sinagot ko na po and i just used the same language game you have introduced para iisa ang lebel. :):):)

One last note- it is San Beda...not Beda.

danny
11-21-2008, 05:59 AM
"Original adaptation" for local college hoops of a particular Native American Inspired Hippie Chant to be more precise.

Who will naturally* "play Indian" but Bedans?

Here's an Acid Rain Dance for everyone:

ACID RAIN DANCE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uTjnUf-Skk)

Here's another ominous and militant Native American Inspired Bedan music with a "Warpath" Theme. Stardust re-introduce this music to us in B.com. Enjoy!

Pandanggo (http://media.imeem.com/m/nBR3iKgN8S)

Awowowowowowowo!

lekiboy
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
am bumping this for the COPYCATS....

demonyito
08-12-2009, 12:42 AM

So before any one of you makes accusations, tanung-tanong muna kayo. Sakit din sa tenga namin nung narining namin yang "San Beda Fight!"

Bwahaha. How could I have missed this all this time. So back then, granting without admitting, while you were only shouting your so-called rainchant and banging kalderos and what not, SAN BEDA WAS ALREADY DOING THE ROAR WITH THE "GO SAN BEDA FIGHT" PHRASE AT THE END. ;)

And your reference admits that it was only after you joined the UAAP that you decided to end your senseless wahooo-ing with the miniscule phrase "ANIMO La SALLE". ;)

Now, I wonder what prodded your very ingenious pep back then to suddenly decide to add ANIMO LA SALLE? HEARD IT FROM SOME OTHER SCHOOL PERHAPS? OF COURSE THEY DID! SAN BEDA HAS BEEN DOING IT WHILE YOU GUYS WERE ONLY SHOUTING! And why was it done only after you joined the UAAP? FOUND IT PRETTY CONVENIENT EH? You guys thought it would already be alright since you were already in another league. HAHAHA You guys honestly thought that nobody would find out?? And since the Original was not around, you had the gang-green-pepper-balls to claim it as your own. Hahaha You guys really are something else! ;D ;D PAX!

danny
08-25-2009, 03:43 AM
^^^
Atty. Blue/Red or Red/Blue, for further info. ;)

I posted this earlier prior to the break-up of this thread.
---------------------------------

TIME LINE

January 14 - San Francisco, California

POWWOW: THE GATHERING OF THE TRIBE , FIRST HUMAN BE IN as a prelude to the Summer of Love . Hippies, Beats, Civil Rights activists, Native American activists converged for a POWWOW for a music festival.

June 16 - June 18 , Monterey, California
MONTEREY POP FESTIVAL.

August 17, Sunday - Bethel, New York

WOODSTOCK FESTIVAL Rain Chanting after the rainstorm and prior to the performance of Country Joe. The segue to Carlos Santana was only used in the Album and not the Movie.

Wohoooooooo!

September

La Salle HS students did a Rain Chant using kitchen utensils as noisemakers similar to the yet unreleased movie. This was personally witnessed by Greenarrows (Greenarrows' eye witness account is being questioned by greenergy.)

December

In Manila. Tony Atayde, a young DJ allegedly received a copy of the "Music From the Motion Picture Soundtrack", a 3 vinyl LP and decided to play on air the "Rain Chant" ( of all things?)

On the other side of the world, the final mixing of the soundtrack and the film was just finished according to the book (non-Bedan of course) "Woodstock: An Inside Look at the Movie That Shook up the World and Defined a Generation" by Dale W. Bell with foreword by Martin Scorsese. ISBN: 094118871X

“The making of the sound track for the documentary concert film Woodstock posed numerous technical and logistical challenges…It’s completion marked the turning point in the development of sound-for-picture.” - Dan Wallin

March 15, Sunday

The film was shown to Warner executives for pre-screening. According to Chapter: Final Cut, Final Battle of the same book, this was the first time the the movie will be shown on its entirety and the staff would expect resistance from the "suits". The final cut will then be shortened and some scenes omitted.

March 25, Wednesday

The the preview screening of the Movie in Trans-Lux East , 3rd Avenue at 58th Street for the press and other VIPs.

March 26, Thursday

The morning of March 26, Thursday, the film opened to the public in several theaters in the states and also opened in other coutries afterwards.

August 15

With the success of the film the "Music from the Original Soundtrack and More", or more commonly "Woodstock" was released. It came out as a set of 3 LPs five months after. (According to greenergy , Tony Atayde got his copy earlier, December 1969 and played the Rain Chant on public radio.)

Start of the NCAA season! With the success of the movie and the popularity of Hippies and counter-culture in San Beda and other schools in the 1960s, the Native American Hippie Rain chanting was adopted as an extension of San Beda's cheering tradition. Used in the NCAA and school intramural, it was easily integrated to the Bedan Indian Chanting. (La Salle was supposedly doing the "Rain Chant",one year earlier, September 1969, just one month after Woodstock.)

Bedan Hippies (along with the rest of the country) watched the movie, bought the LP and got hooked with the rendition of the wohooo in Woodstock and readily identified it as Native American.

For some , this is just a "durugista" cheer performed already prior to the release of the movie and the LP. For us Bedans, it's Native American cheer, a Hippie Rendition of the Anglicized Native American "Wohoooo."

There are two sides of this story. The other one is a lie.

demonyito
09-01-2009, 12:50 AM
My apologies. Got carried away. Thanks thanks! ;)

danny
08-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Sino brod? ;D

lekiboy
08-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Sino brod? ;D

well, it all started when the copycats accused the original of copying what they copied... bwahahaha..TALINO!

danny
08-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Oooooppss...

yc2k9
08-28-2010, 10:36 AM
see??? dan! another flow of new infos - tsk....this time, it is DZRJ - akala ko ba sa DWKC lang... well, if the discussion will flow like these, we might as well let people sign a statement with their batches and narratives with it... Labo!

well, for those old la sallites i closely know who were students in the 70s and early 80s, they do not remember doing this (ripped) LIONS' roar during their days....they do NOT even know how it is called.....ang dali kasing sabihin na naki-ride on lang kayo sa hippie era noon supported by dates - but on the games itself - there were no green people doing that....it just so happened that they were also living in those years :) and heard it- e pwede na...

On the ANIMO:
i have a pre-war doc from mendiola with SBC using Animo as a cheer...my kuyas here just requested me to refrain from doing it to avoid more friction....but with the discussions we are having right now, i will not be surprised that another info / alibi will soon pop out>>> burned in the war, misplaced, i have seen it but can't remember, gonna lika get it, you know, it's like this e.....:)

On the LIONS' ROAR:
nakakapagod na pabago-bago ang sagot, mga repapips... let's just ask the neutral ones for their inputs...

FOR NON-BEDANS and NON_LA SALLITES here in gameface:

2- for the UAAP people here who watched the games of early 80s - did you hear DLSC/U chanted this in the 80s?

Alex Yap
GS 87, HS 91

about ANIMO.

1. no doubt. SAN BEDA used ANIMO first. It's the same as GO and FIGHT. why argue? SAN BEDA ang unang gumamit, hindi ang gumawa, if animo is really a word so pwedeng gamitin just like go, win and fight. right?

example: GO San Beda FIGHT. GO Ateneo one big FIGHT. wala namang nagrreklamong ginaya ng san beda ang ateneo diba?

if it's polly, fabilioh or rektikano, which are truly originals, then that is considered COPYING.

2. If you ask La Sallians about the rain chant, they don't know the cheer because they have no intention of knowing that. yun ang masakit sa amin pag galing iba't ibang school. at konti lang ang witness nun dahil it was used during the greenies game, not in the ARCHERS game.

3. i considered the facts of la sallians here except the ones in the timeline. you have evidences pero parang iba sa tunay. finalize the facts. tell what is real. wag nyong bahiran ng kasinungalingan yan dahil sa huli tayo din ang mapapahiya. pwede tayong humingi ng sorry kung may mali man tayo. That one sir is the real pride, because telling a lie is a cowardly act.

lekiboy
08-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I will call it as a "suspicion" for now but we have received accounts from Bedan HS alumni from the early 80s that the LIONS' roar made it's way to Taft via their batchmates who transferred to DLS. According to them, this was an alleged "spin off" of the heat between Red and Blue. I have to ask permission first from them before posting their names. The same applies to the use of ANIMO by the green side. Though the word made its way to Taft earlier than that, the use and integration of it on their staple cheers were heavily used during this time.

This "them" became members of the Green PEP side.

Again, on my post that you have dug from this thread, I am still waiting for the FF:

FOR NON-BEDANS and NON-LA SALLITES here in gameface:

2- for the UAAP people here who watched the games of early 80s - did you hear DLSC/U chanted this in the 80s?

and off we go....

tulf
08-28-2010, 01:01 PM

Sino brod? ;D

well, it all started when the copycats accused the original of copying what they copied... bwahahaha..TALINO!

tama ka leki ganyang ka simple lang naman yan!

atenean_blooded
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Nakow. Bumalik na ang usapan sa Lion's Roar. Mas masalimuot pa sa usaping "Animo Spirit" yan. ;D

nnahoj
08-28-2010, 04:45 PM
parang kanta ni Randy Santiago, Paikot-ikot. (teka galing LSGH siya diba?)

yc2k9
08-31-2010, 09:33 AM
di naman La Sallians ung gumawa nung shirt na push the limit animo spirit.

yun yung mga galing sa labas na nagbebenta sa gilid gilid at naiinis lang ako kasi naniniwala silang ganun nga ang pag gamit ng animo.

tignan nyo nga yung isa pang shirt nila, i love la salle much more than ateneo.

meron na ngang i love la salle more than ateneo nilagyan pa ng much, basta gagawa sila para lang kumita ng pera. tsss

LION
08-31-2010, 09:37 AM
^People from CSB?

oca
08-31-2010, 09:43 AM

yun yung mga galing sa labas na nagbebenta sa gilid gilid at naiinis lang ako kasi naniniwala silang ganun nga ang pag gamit ng animo.

meron na ngang i love la salle more than ateneo nilagyan pa ng much, basta gagawa sila para lang kumita ng pera. tsss

Yan ang pinagkaiba ng communidad niyo sa ADMU o SBC.

Sa Azul or Pulahan, pag may di tama, the community is made aware through their forums. Sasabihin na mali. Itigil yan.

Sa inyo, magsasawalang kibo na lang.

mangtsito
08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
^ Buti sana kung ipinagsasawalang kibo. Eh sinusuot pa nga eh. Proud pa sila. ;D

= = = = = = = = = =

Heto, aaminin ko, nung una akong nakapanood ng mga laro ng dlsu noong mid-90s, akala ko original nila yung ...er..."archer's roar". ;D Nung panahon kasi na iyon, halos walang visibility ang San Beda, kaya marami ding mga tao - both lasallites and non-lasallites - na nagoyo na original ng dlsu yun.

Pero salamat sa gameface at naliwanagan ako. Kitang-kita naman kung aling panig ang may mas matimbang na ebidensya sa pagiging orihinal. (At kitang kita rin kung aling panig ang puro in-denial and brainwashing lang)

oca
08-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Kita naman na mga batang La Salista ang may suot. Eto yung mga pinagkaitan ng kaalaman.

Pero sa forum ba nila ay may nagsabi na huwag suotin yun dahil mali ang nakasaad?

Teka, OT na pala tayo dito....

atenean_blooded
08-31-2010, 11:07 AM

Sa Azul or Pulahan, pag may di tama, the community is made aware through their forums. Sasabihin na mali. Itigil yan.

Ewan ko.

Ang naaalala ko sa usapang "Animo Spirit" e sinubukan pang gawan ng lusot na "'Animo' means 'La Salle'" at kung anu-ano pang bullshit.

O kaya pupuntang gameface tapos mangangahas na makipagtalastasan gayong hindi naman masakyan ang topic, o kaya babanat ng kung anu-anong pautot katulad ng "Salt n Peppa," "William Tell," atbp.

Minsan nga parang may pattern na iisa lang ang kausap natin e.

yc2k9
08-31-2010, 04:53 PM
^People from CSB?

no, people living near Taft. Alam nyo na parang divisoria na nakapagduplicate ng adidas brand para makabenta ng mura :P

Mahirap maghanap ng La Salle shirts and kung sa bookstore ka naman bibili dadalawang design lang.

being on topic:

La Salle used the rain chant 1969 or 1970 during the Greenies match. High school ang unang gumamit.
La Salle is still in the NCAA both high school and college so i assume makakaramdam agad ang San Beda nun kung ginagaya na sila dahil 40 years nang "gumagaya" ang DLSU. tama?
La Salle claimed that it came from the 1969 woodstock concert no other than that source.

question:

1.) If it was a San Beda Original- san nakuha yung tune? -woodstock din diba? imposibleng bago mag woodstock nachant nyo na yan :)
2.) Kung San Beda ang nauna- what year? 1970's din? what game?

It doesn't matter if the chant is indian; the question is about who used it first. Yun ang gustong patunayan in the first place, diba?

yes everything indian is from your school. So you're claiming that the bow and arrow should not be used because indians used it too?

bago pa sumagot si atenean_blooded ng b*llshts and senseless off topic posts, I don't care about Atayde or William Tell or Salt n' Peppa or him either.

What i care about is the senseless bashings. Tatanggapin siguro ng La Salle Alumni Association kung ginaya talaga nila diba?

If someone answered my 2 questions above, CORRECT and with PROOF,

THAT MEANS LA SALLE COPIED.
You can kiss the Green Rain Chant goodbye. ;)

yan yung dapat hinahanap na sources, hindi yung pagka-indian nung cheer dahil kung ganun bawal na rin gamitin ng uste yung e-yo-e-yo cheer nila dahil tunog indian yun.

Mr. Stardust (one of the oldest witness as of now) also claimed that San Beda had a different Lion's Roar back then, with wailing and hooting, much more like indians.
prove Stardust wrong, prove me wrong.

siops13
08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
^People from CSB?

no, people living near Taft. Alam nyo na parang divisoria na nakapagduplicate ng adidas brand para makabenta ng mura :P

Mahirap maghanap ng La Salle shirts and kung sa bookstore ka naman bibili dadalawang design lang.

I'm sorry my friend, but the people behind the Animoism Shirts with the infamous PUSH THE LIMIT ANIMO SPIRIT were in fact, students from DLSU and not just other business-minded people outside La Salle. You may refer to below article from the inquirer regarding the Animoism Shirts:

Spirit style, big boom

By James Gabrillo
Inquirer

Last updated 19:32:00 08/10/2007

MANILA, Philippines—It all started on the LRT2. After seeing a fellow rider wearing a La Salle shirt, Jad Deveza pitched a business proposal to close friend BJ Pascual. Why not make a nice school shirt that people would actually care to wear?

After arriving at the Taft station, they rushed to the nearest bookstore to purchase squeegees, paints, silk screen, and the other materials that they would need to create their dream school shirt. The bookstore didn’t have everything that they were looking for so they literally ran to Harrison Plaza to check the mall’s bookstore, only to find out that it didn’t have the materials either. Settling for whatever the two bookstores had, they decided to split up to purchase the materials. They got everything by 9 p.m.

When they got back to their condominium unit, they pitched their idea to four of their friends, Eizel Nocon, James Go, Princess Barretto, and Bernina Pascual. After the pitch, the room was filled with excitement. Armed with their enthusiasm, passion, and a small pool of money, team ANIMOISM was ready.

Daydream, design, daydream, design

That same night, they came up with their first three slogans for their shirts: “Green Cohesion ANIMO Nation,” “Revive the ANIMO High,” and “Push the Limit ANIMO Spirit.” They then proceeded to strategize, and daydream about a lot of people from their school wearing the shirts. They called it a night at around 3 a.m., and decided to get back to their homework for next day’s classes.

A few hours after, Jad and BJ woke up and went to Quiapo to look for suppliers for their materials. After endless searching (and a close encounter with a thief), the two decided to go to the nearest bookstore where they copied the suppliers’ addresses from the back of the school supplies. Sneaky, eh?

The next few hours were a big blur that involved the whole team laying out the specific details of their plans, learning how to silk screen through the Internet, failing again and again to create quality screens, and coming up with another slogan: “Live the Dream ANIMO Team.” The day ended at 5 a.m. for ANIMOISM.

Stencil love

The next day, Saturday, everyone with the exception of Bernina went back to Quiapo to purchase more supplies. Right after, they gave the stencils another try and ended up figuring out the process—they successfully created four stencils for all the slogans.

The printing of the four shirts started at noontime of Sunday. The team divided themselves into two groups—one would oversee the printing while the other would prepare for the shoot for their promotional materials.

At one in the morning, the shirts were finally dry. They shot their promotional photos with Jad as photographer and Eizel, James, BJ and Baretz as models. At 5 a.m., BJ started preparing the flyers. At 10 a.m., Baretz reproduced them. At around the same time, ANIMOISM’s Multiply site was being created. Two hours after, the DLSU Pep Rally started, flyers were distributed and orders started coming in.

Bright lights

The next few days were crazy. ANIMOISM had to deal with orders 24/7. They were receiving orders through text messages up until two in the morning. The response overwhelmed the team. Heck, even the La Salle brothers had their own shirts!

ANIMOISM knew that things were getting bigger for them, and this meant that they had to shape up in terms of dedication and commitment to their growing business.

They struggled to learn how to work together not just as friends, but as business partners. They slowly adjusted to being ordinary college kids to working students who made inventories and marketing plans aside from their academic papers and exams.

They sat down and talked serious—Jad took care of operations, BJ of creatives, Baretz of marketing, Eizel of finance, and Bernina and James of circulation. They even assigned to each other a day of the week when one will take charge of answering orders through text messaging and e-mail.

Leaping in style

ANIMOISM’s shirts are breaking new ground—and I’m not exaggerating. Their shirts are probably the most popular school spirit pieces that have bombarded the UAAP. They’ve even received orders from Cebu, Davao, Baguio, USA and Japan.

At the moment, they’re preparing to release their second line of shirts with new slogans containing the names of the DLSU Men’s Basketball team players like “Go with the Flow JV Casio,” “Give Me Fever Rico Maierhofer,” “What’s your Flava Cholo Villanueva,” and “Show Me What It Means Simon Atkins.”

Just a few days ago, the team gathered the players for a photo shoot where they asked them to don the shirts. ANIMOISM shares, “The Archers are very much supportive of the shirts. We had fun with them during our shoot. We are very much grateful to them because we had the shoot immediately after their basketball practice.”

Aside from the new shirts, they’re also launching their spanking new accessory line next week.
Like DLSU’s comeback performance in the UAAP, the team’s success is unstoppable. “We wanted to inspire, rouse and move the ANIMO in style,” says the team.

And they surely are.

ANIMOISM can be found at Unit 2109, EGI Taft Tower, Malate, Manila, right beside DLSU. You can call (02)567-1092 or (0917)242-3302 for appointments and inquiries. Visit http://animoism.multiply.com.

In short, the current crop of La Salle students are either misinformed or ignorant of the true La Sallian way of using ANIMO.

lekiboy
08-31-2010, 06:17 PM
^ Now, we are truly WASTING OUR TIME.

BedanRoar
08-31-2010, 06:23 PM

Baka kanya kanya sa komunidad nila? Communication Gap ???

mangtsito
08-31-2010, 11:58 PM
At nakakita na naman tayo ng palpak na ebidensya. ;D Good job on the sleuthing, siops13. ;)

atenean_blooded
09-01-2010, 12:49 AM
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3000000/Snoopy-Woodstock-peanuts-3089053-800-600.jpg

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-woaaaaaaaaaaaaah! GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!

*clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

siops13
09-01-2010, 02:00 AM
At nakakita na naman tayo ng palpak na ebidensya. ;D Good job on the sleuthing, siops13. ;)

Natatandaan ko kasi yang Animoism na yan when it became popular sa multiply. And from their mutliply account, naalala ko na mga lasalista nga ang nagsimula nun...

yc2k9
09-01-2010, 08:07 AM

Natatandaan ko kasi yang Animoism na yan when it became popular sa multiply. And from their mutliply account, naalala ko na mga lasalista nga ang nagsimula nun...

nung nagsold out ung first stocks nyan tinigil na nila yung pagbebenta ng push the limit na yan dahil marami ngang nakaramdam; pero marami pa ring nagbebenta sa labas.

I know someone with that kind of shirt na hindi inorder sa kanila; the one official was in green and silver, my friend had black and ang pangit ng pagkakagawa na halatang FAKE.

i thought the proper use of animo is courage? why react on this stuff?
gawan mo nlng ng bagong thread to atenean_blooded. we're being off topic because of your typical atenean mala-Erap na posts :))

where's the topic? :)

lekiboy
09-01-2010, 08:32 AM
yc2k9,
please. you can do better than this. di katatawanan tong usapan dito. we take our tradition very seriously.
siops presented a very good article. you can at least try to recognize the fact that you were properly negated.

yc2k9
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
8)

yc2k9
09-01-2010, 08:45 AM
yc2k9,
please. you can do better than this. di katatawanan tong usapan dito. we take our tradition very seriously.
siops presented a very good article. you can at least try to recognize the fact that you were properly negated.

true if the students did it. 3 years passed and they already stopped producing the shirts dahil may mali nga pero may nagrereproduce nun and yun yung nakakabahala.

hindi naman na yun maibabalik dahil nabenta na eh.
sa akin lang, money's too cheap to earn for your own school tradition.

LION
09-01-2010, 08:54 AM
^People from CSB?

I'm sorry my friend, but the people behind the Animoism Shirts with the infamous PUSH THE LIMIT ANIMO SPIRIT were in fact, students from DLSU and not just other business-minded people outside La Salle. You may refer to below article from the inquirer regarding the Animoism Shirts:

Spirit style, big boom

By James Gabrillo
Inquirer

Last updated 19:32:00 08/10/2007

MANILA, Philippines—It all started on the LRT2. After seeing a fellow rider wearing a La Salle shirt, Jad Deveza pitched a business proposal to close friend BJ Pascual. Why not make a nice school shirt that people would actually care to wear?

After arriving at the Taft station, they rushed to the nearest bookstore to purchase squeegees, paints, silk screen, and the other materials that they would need to create their dream school shirt. The bookstore didn’t have everything that they were looking for so they literally ran to Harrison Plaza to check the mall’s bookstore, only to find out that it didn’t have the materials either. Settling for whatever the two bookstores had, they decided to split up to purchase the materials. They got everything by 9 p.m.

When they got back to their condominium unit, they pitched their idea to four of their friends, Eizel Nocon, James Go, Princess Barretto, and Bernina Pascual. After the pitch, the room was filled with excitement. Armed with their enthusiasm, passion, and a small pool of money, team ANIMOISM was ready.

Daydream, design, daydream, design

That same night, they came up with their first three slogans for their shirts: “Green Cohesion ANIMO Nation,” “Revive the ANIMO High,” and “Push the Limit ANIMO Spirit.” They then proceeded to strategize, and daydream about a lot of people from their school wearing the shirts. They called it a night at around 3 a.m., and decided to get back to their homework for next day’s classes.

A few hours after, Jad and BJ woke up and went to Quiapo to look for suppliers for their materials. After endless searching (and a close encounter with a thief), the two decided to go to the nearest bookstore where they copied the suppliers’ addresses from the back of the school supplies. Sneaky, eh?

The next few hours were a big blur that involved the whole team laying out the specific details of their plans, learning how to silk screen through the Internet, failing again and again to create quality screens, and coming up with another slogan: “Live the Dream ANIMO Team.” The day ended at 5 a.m. for ANIMOISM.

Stencil love

The next day, Saturday, everyone with the exception of Bernina went back to Quiapo to purchase more supplies. Right after, they gave the stencils another try and ended up figuring out the process—they successfully created four stencils for all the slogans.

The printing of the four shirts started at noontime of Sunday. The team divided themselves into two groups—one would oversee the printing while the other would prepare for the shoot for their promotional materials.

At one in the morning, the shirts were finally dry. They shot their promotional photos with Jad as photographer and Eizel, James, BJ and Baretz as models. At 5 a.m., BJ started preparing the flyers. At 10 a.m., Baretz reproduced them. At around the same time, ANIMOISM’s Multiply site was being created. Two hours after, the DLSU Pep Rally started, flyers were distributed and orders started coming in.

Bright lights

The next few days were crazy. ANIMOISM had to deal with orders 24/7. They were receiving orders through text messages up until two in the morning. The response overwhelmed the team. Heck, even the La Salle brothers had their own shirts!

ANIMOISM knew that things were getting bigger for them, and this meant that they had to shape up in terms of dedication and commitment to their growing business.

They struggled to learn how to work together not just as friends, but as business partners. They slowly adjusted to being ordinary college kids to working students who made inventories and marketing plans aside from their academic papers and exams.

They sat down and talked serious—Jad took care of operations, BJ of creatives, Baretz of marketing, Eizel of finance, and Bernina and James of circulation. They even assigned to each other a day of the week when one will take charge of answering orders through text messaging and e-mail.

Leaping in style

ANIMOISM’s shirts are breaking new ground—and I’m not exaggerating. Their shirts are probably the most popular school spirit pieces that have bombarded the UAAP. They’ve even received orders from Cebu, Davao, Baguio, USA and Japan.

At the moment, they’re preparing to release their second line of shirts with new slogans containing the names of the DLSU Men’s Basketball team players like “Go with the Flow JV Casio,” “Give Me Fever Rico Maierhofer,” “What’s your Flava Cholo Villanueva,” and “Show Me What It Means Simon Atkins.”

Just a few days ago, the team gathered the players for a photo shoot where they asked them to don the shirts. ANIMOISM shares, “The Archers are very much supportive of the shirts. We had fun with them during our shoot. We are very much grateful to them because we had the shoot immediately after their basketball practice.”

Aside from the new shirts, they’re also launching their spanking new accessory line next week.
Like DLSU’s comeback performance in the UAAP, the team’s success is unstoppable. “We wanted to inspire, rouse and move the ANIMO in style,” says the team.

And they surely are.

ANIMOISM can be found at Unit 2109, EGI Taft Tower, Malate, Manila, right beside DLSU. You can call (02)567-1092 or (0917)242-3302 for appointments and inquiries. Visit http://animoism.multiply.com.

In short, the current crop of La Salle students are either misinformed or ignorant of the true La Sallian way of using ANIMO.

yc2k,

Sorry to say but your credibility has just been shot down by siops.

Now it's clear that La Sallians produced that shirt. It's already immaterial if they "stopped" (according to you) producing the shirts 3 years ago and some enterprising people took over the production.

franz_inwurdz
09-01-2010, 10:31 AM
La Salle used the rain chant 1969 or 1970 during the Greenies match. High school ang unang gumamit.
La Salle claimed that it came from the 1969 woodstock concert no other than that source.

Na-baril na rin to brad, please back read. Wait, you probably did. So why the selective memory? From the shirt, to the cheers, why the selective memory???

It's like the guy from Memento.

atenean_blooded
09-01-2010, 11:33 AM
A similar line of questions has been raised in another thread, to wit:

Can anyone else detect the emerging pattern here?

(1) Merong papsok na bagito sa forum na halos walang alam sa matagal nang nakagawian at ipagtatanggol ang eskwela niya na inaakusahang naggagaya ng cheer ng iba;

(2) Kung natambakan na siya ng sari-saring malakas pruweba laban sa kung anu man ang pinaglalaban niya, biglang aatras at sasabihing maghahanap siya ng mas maraming pruweba.

(3) Kung magpakita naman ng pruweba, kakarampot na nga, palpak pa (backread on the fiberglass backboard discussions)...kung meron man.

(4) Tapos kung walang maipakitang substantial, mangungulit at mang-aasar na lang sa board, hanggang sa magsawa at hidni na magpakita.

(5) Then back to #1.

Mang_Roger
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Ok. Next la sallite please..............

yc2k9
09-02-2010, 12:34 AM
before reading my statements, please remember that we're still on the rain chant topic. :)

yc2k9
09-02-2010, 12:41 AM
looking at danny's evidences.

Look. A lot of schools eventually adopted the Hippie Rain Chant. It is now a shared chant among many students. Woodstokc was a popular movie and with a very popular soundtrack. Alam mo naman pinoy hippies na eventually naging jeproks.

-danny said earlier that it was a FLOP

Woodstock was a flop. Not much advertisers to cover the cost of this underground event, what more for the live telecast of an "anti-social" concert. Counter-culturally it was a huge success. It marked the zenith of the Hippie/Anti-War/Civil Rights Movement.

Why do an Indian Chant when you can yodel instead? Where in La Salle's tradition can you find an Indian War Whooping prior to Woodstock?

-yodel? we got the cheer from the 1969 woodstock concert, wag niyong ipilit si william tell na hindi naman part nito. why would we yodel? so kung ganun tunog indian ang e-yo e-yo ng ust so bawal nila gamitin yun?

kahit baliktarin mo, la salle pa rin ang UNANG nag woooohh.. SA ISANG FORMAL GAME WITH LETRAN.
where's the evidence of your 1940's rain chant?

IT WAS IN 1970s.

yes, you have proven how "indian" the cheer is, but you never told us that you used it first. issue solved. ;)

--------------------------

-We can also say we Bedans used it first in the NCAA and Intrmurals right after hearing the chant. Ano akala niyo? Kayo lang may radyo at LP player nung panahon na yun?

Nope. You were not the one who used it first formally cheering it in a formal GAME. yun ang basis diba? kung nagamit nyo sa intrams yan, sinubukan na ng greenies yan beforehand if the cheer would entice the crowd.

Why we used it? It's an Indian war whoop. We have the cultural and historical basis for adopting that. While the spoiled La Sallites from Greenhills simply wanted simply to be cool. A big difference. Substance over form. Indian war whooping tradition over pop culture.

-we're talking who used it first and formally during a game.substance over form? yes true. but we used it first, that's the topic diba?

no date of which san beda used it first. still waiting......................

Intramurals and Seniors 1970. Paano na yan?
- ito ba yun? so ginaya nyo lang nga sa woodstock. you never cheered it in the 1940's. IBA PO ANG PAG WOHOO NYO NG LION'S ROAR AT RAIN CHANT THAT TIME. It came from mr. Stardust (san beda)

no date which game did SAN BEDA chanted it. FORMALLY.

conclusion:
la salle used it first formally the tune. in a formal game.

san beda had a different lion's roar tune claiming that it was derived from the indian yell. and you are just claiming its indianness, not claiming that you used it first (formally speaking)

you just want to claim that WE LASALLIANS don't forget the indianness of the chant.i think it was posted by lion and danny.

after backreading( i did have the time now), prove that san beda used it first formally in a formal game in a formal date and la salle copied it from YOU, not from the woodstock concert.bash this post with meaningful and on the topic posts (please not william tell ) JUST THE CHANT. i would also like to acknowledge atenean_blooded for he is not of interest in this topic, and he just post to bash,a stereotype maybe?

thank you. :)

Spikermike
09-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Yc2K9,

This I will tell you. Whenever Bedans give their position that it was San Beda who first adopted this chant, the Lion’s Roar, in local collegiate sports, it has always been met with denial, without strong counter-proofs from the Green side.

Many Bedan-La Sallians (yes, marami sila given both schools are situated in the city of Manila), standing in the middle have given their recounts and positions, best exemplified by this post of one La Sallian-Bedan to a much younger La Sallian in another forum thread:

“(Quoting the younger La Sallian) “San Beda may vaguely claim the Rain Chant or Indian Yell on the basis of its being more related to their Native American theme. Having said that, they don’t have any basis for claiming that they were the first to use it since it only became popular though Woodstock. La Salle may have used it first, with no need to justify the Indian-ness of it. In any case, San Beda couldn’t possibly have used it earlier (say,the time ANIMO came into prominence) because the concept of NATIVE AMERICANS was introduced by the AMERICANS. The Spanish-mestizo roots of San Beda don’t support the idea of Native Americans.”

I actually agree with all of your other posts except this. Please allow me to correct you on a few points.
Bedans indeed claim (strongly and not just vaguely if I might add) that the Rain Chant and Indian Yell are part of their cheering traditions. And though the rain chant was of Woodstock vintage, the Indian Yell was not. The Indian Yell* came much much earlier, late 40s to early 50s in fact. Evidence of this can be found in remaining copies of SBC’s cheer books from the era. I can even personally show you a copy if the music sheets for the Indian Yell* which my father and uncles used to play when they were with the SBC Band in the 50s! Regardless of its Spanish-mestizo roots, it wasn’t “just possible” but it IS a fact that what you termed as “Indian-ness” became a part of Bedan tradition. How come? Because of the color RED.

As to La Salle having used the Rain Chant first, all I can say is that I’ve been watching the NCAA games as a young boy as early as the mid-70s and I have NEVER heard La Salle do the rain chant ending with “Animo La Salle”. The first time I’ve seen the green croWd do the rain chant was actually in the UAAP already. That’s in the (late) 80s, mind you.

And I say this with all honestly and without bias because I myself eventually studied in La Salle later in life….”

Obviously, the young La Sallian being of this generation wherein San Beda and DLSU no longer compete in the same league have not witnessed, much less understood Bedan cheering tradition.

In another thread, I also mentioned that DLSU was very new in the UAAP when I transferred to UP from SBC. In UP was were we Bedans finally got to “mingle” with Lasalistas (ref to LSGH) and Atenistas a lot, UP Diliman being a educational melting pot of sorts.

We watched a lot of Fighting Maroons' games then since many Red Cubs and a few from LSGH comprised the core of those UP teams then.

In the 1986-87 season, DLSU finally came on board in the UAAP. During those years was when I first heard that the cheering squad of Taft did their version of San Beda’s Lion's Roar. My college buddies who graduated from LSGH high school would make fun of it and kid me and my other former Bedan HS buddies.. "di ba sa inyong cheer yan?.." or "sa inyo yan ah? hehehe".. Why would someone who studied in La Salle Green Hills say that?? Siguro kasi alam naman nilang hindi nila cheer yun during the 70s???? (For your info in case you are not aware, DLSU left the NCAA after the aborted 1980-81 season, LSGH were the juniors counterpart of Taft until La Salle transferred to the UAAP).

Back then, we would just tease them back saying "gaya-gaya pala kayo??"
"Pero lagot kayo sa Letran. Kasi kinopya ninyo yung S-J-L-C Arriba Letran! Bugbog kayo nyan.." I am referring to the D-L-S-U Derecho La Salle! knock-off of Letran's famous cheer.

Which brings me to another point, it appears that it is not only the Lion’s Roar, but Letran’s cheer was also copied, well okay, “adopted”.. It does not help the case of La Sallians in its defense of not copying because of a seeming pattern of knocking off cheers from its older rivals from the former league. There appears to be a “track record” of sorts.

Similar to a previous post, I too wonder what prodded your cheer squad back then to suddenly do a “rain chant” and append “Animo La Salle”? Or do a four-letter spelling of the school initials, followed by a spanish verb then the name La Salle? And why was it done only right after DLSU joined the UAAP?

It does appear that your cheer squad may have found it convenient and alright since you guys already moved to another league.

mangtsito
09-02-2010, 03:19 AM
* Paikot-ikot.... ::)

= = = = =

A question for the Bedan-La Sallians, were you ever fans of dlsu in the UAAP? If you answer "yes", did you ever take part in cheering whenever the dlsu pep squad exhorted you with their Lion's Roar ripoff? Just curious.

Spikermike
09-02-2010, 08:33 AM
^mangtsito, you're right paikot-ikot lang ito.. nakakasawa na... ::)

lekiboy
09-02-2010, 08:41 AM
^mangtsito, you're right paikot-ikot lang ito.. nakakasawa na... ::)

but you made great contributions, tol... thanks.

I am waiting for westwinger to respond to mang tisto's question above... I believe he went to DLS for college after mendiola.

I do not think there were gamefacers here who witnessed DLS do their "LIONS' roar" in the 70s or early 80s..the accounts of DLS doing the LIONS' roar when they entered UAAP around 1986 is convincing.

we have to move on.

LION
09-02-2010, 09:08 AM
looking at danny's evidences.

-danny said earlier that it was a FLOP

Woodstock was a flop. Not much advertisers to cover the cost of this underground event, what more for the live telecast of an "anti-social" concert. Counter-culturally it was a huge success. It marked the zenith of the Hippie/Anti-War/Civil Rights Movement.

-yodel? we got the cheer from the 1969 woodstock concert, wag niyong ipilit si william tell na hindi naman part nito. why would we yodel? so kung ganun tunog indian ang e-yo e-yo ng ust so bawal nila gamitin yun?

kahit baliktarin mo, la salle pa rin ang UNANG nag woooohh.. SA ISANG FORMAL GAME WITH LETRAN.
where's the evidence of your 1940's rain chant?

IT WAS IN 1970s.

yes, you have proven how "indian" the cheer is, but you never told us that you used it first. issue solved. ;)

--------------------------

-We can also say we Bedans used it first in the NCAA and Intrmurals right after hearing the chant. Ano akala niyo? Kayo lang may radyo at LP player nung panahon na yun?

Nope. You were not the one who used it first formally cheering it in a formal GAME. yun ang basis diba? kung nagamit nyo sa intrams yan, sinubukan na ng greenies yan beforehand if the cheer would entice the crowd.

-we're talking who used it first and formally during a game.substance over form? yes true. but we used it first, that's the topic diba?

no date of which san beda used it first. still waiting......................

Intramurals and Seniors 1970. Paano na yan?
- ito ba yun? so ginaya nyo lang nga sa woodstock. you never cheered it in the 1940's. IBA PO ANG PAG WOHOO NYO NG LION'S ROAR AT RAIN CHANT THAT TIME. It came from mr. Stardust (san beda)

no date which game did SAN BEDA chanted it. FORMALLY.

conclusion:

san beda had a different lion's roar tune claiming that it was derived from the indian yell. and you are just claiming its indianness, not claiming that you used it first (formally speaking)

you just want to claim that WE LASALLIANS don't forget the indianness of the chant.i think it was posted by lion and danny.

after backreading( i did have the time now), prove that san beda used it first formally in a formal game in a formal date and la salle copied it from YOU, not from the woodstock concert.bash this post with meaningful and on the topic posts (please not william tell ) JUST THE CHANT. i would also like to acknowledge atenean_blooded for he is not of interest in this topic, and he just post to bash,a stereotype maybe?

thank you. :)

yc2k9,

What's the credibility of your statements and description of events that were supposed to have happened when you were not yet born? It has been shown here that you have a penchant for saying falsehood. If this were a court of law, you would have been found guilty of perjury.

For now, you're not the best person to argue for DLSU.

franz_inwurdz
09-02-2010, 11:02 AM

conclusion:

Statement above is "formal-erly" a fact according to Atayde, this "fact" was "formally" disputed, and was disputed well that Atayde suddenly became mute. With you backreading, you know this, I bet you even know the month right? again why the selective memory?

And besides, madali kong sabihin na I am a Bedan elder, and the first time we used it was during a game against Letran on December 1953. Can you admit this as fact???

Kaya we defend it by showing you how deeply rooted this cheer is in our culture and tradition. That is concrete evidence and can easily be concluded as fact. Same reason, why you hear our seniors say "yodel William Tell".

In conclusion:
Yung "fact" mo na unang ginamit sa game against Letran, hindi "fact" yun.

"FACT"-ING BAZINGA!

Bodhisattva
09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
* Paikot-ikot.... ::)

= = = = =

A question for the Bedan-La Sallians, were you ever fans of dlsu in the UAAP? If you answer "yes", did you ever take part in cheering whenever the dlsu pep squad exhorted you with their Lion's Roar ripoff? Just curious.

Yes mangtsito! i scream my heart out only to go at minimum volume level (which only I could hear ;)) and utter Go San Beda Fight!.... And re Spikermike's post, I concur!

atenean_blooded
09-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Yodel Yodel.

William Tell.

Salt n' Peppa.

Rain Chant.

Pati sariling timeline, hindi maayos-ayos. :) Tanungin niyo kung anong taon in the 1940s. Tiyak na magiging source of entertainment yun. :)

And remember, when frustrated with yc2k9, remember that he once proudly proclaimed before crashing and burning and then conveniently forgetting the topic: "You are dealing with a La Salle student."

:)

franz_inwurdz
09-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Kelan ba tinawag na rain chant yan?

a. 1970?
b. 1986?
c. 2008?
d. None of the above?

Ang Lion's Roar alam naming mga Bata hanggang sa mga (ehem) nakakatandang Bedista.

Eh ang Rain chant?

lekiboy
09-02-2010, 03:00 PM

a. 1970?
b. 1986?
c. 2008?
d. None of the above?

Ang Lion's Roar alam ng mga Bata hanggang sa mga (ehem) nakakatandang Bedista.
Eh ang Rain chant?

ang siste e kung alam ba nila na yun ang tawag dun... ;D
at ang nakakatawa pa rito- may nakabantay na apat na Bedistang abogado sa thread na ito...hahahaha- dun din kay esposo. :P

danny
09-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Just came back from Haight-Ashbury , the home of the hippies. Anak ng tinapa, mag-yodel na lang si William Tell!

Anything Indian is Bedan. Rain Chanting and Rain Dancing are Indian.

Mag-haka na lang kasi kayo kung ayaw ng yodel.

danny
09-06-2010, 01:03 AM

a. 1970?
b. 1986?
c. 2008?
d. None of the above?

Ang Lion's Roar alam naming mga Bata hanggang sa mga (ehem) nakakatandang Bedista.

Eh ang Rain chant?

d. none of the above.

I believe it was only in 2007 when they started calling it rain chant when we confronted them after they accused us (directly and indirectly) of copying. e.g Animo.

They don't have contextual understanding of why it is called a "rain chant" nor why hippies would do a rain dance and build teepees during Woodstock.

Greenarrows gave the first salvo in claiming the firsthand eyewitness account of doing the rain chant in a La Salle-Letran game one month after Woodstock, one year before the release of the movie and more than a year prior to the release of the LP.

Then came Tony Atayde's December 1969 on-air playing of the Rain Chant in Manila , while the producers haven't even finished the movie in America let alone completed the soundtrack.

Now we have here another La Salista demanding a FORMAL DATE from us?

In understanding tradition, history and symbolism, the myopic student of history will prefer to travel the road of simple dates. Historical context does not mean anything to them. That's the road preferred by ZAIDE and other minions of this school of thought. Kilala kaya nito si Zaide bata?

Zaide aside, we dwell into the contextual relationship of the Lion's Roar (which we started in the 1970s after we saw the film and heard the soundtrack AND NOT BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE AND HEARING THE SOUNDTRACK UNLIKE THE NONSTRADAMUSES OF LA SALLE) and it's affinity to Bedan symbols.

To make it simple. Contrast our approach and method:

A1 Why would La Salle do an Indian Rain Chant?

Uhhhhh...e gusto namin eh. Basta nauna kami. Nauna kami. Unahan lang yan. Mauna kanya. Nauna pa nga kaming mag-rainchant bago makita ang pelikula at marinig ang LP. Basta una kami.

A2 Why would San Beda adopt the Woodstock version of an Indian Rain Chant?

Ang haba. backread ka na lang.

B1 When did La Salle started doing the chant?

One month after Woodstock, one year prior to the release of the movie and the LP. An eyewitness account from GreenArrows which was later challenged by greenergy who himself went AWOL. In fact Tony Atayde played that portion of the LP Soundtrack In Dec. 1969 way ahead of the producers who were still at the very first stage of film production. The LP came later.

B2. When did Bedans started doing the chant?

After watching the movie in 1970 of course.

E dahil Bedista ka nung dekadang magulo sa Mendiola (what is KM, SDK and FQS), at alam mong ang teepees ay Indian (panooring mo kasi nang makita mo ang teepees sa pelikula, unang parte yun) at ang hippies ay Indian, at "rain chanting" at "rain dancing" ay Indian, aba e ANGKOP SA ATING MGA BEDISTA ITO. MAY INDIAN YELL TAYO NUNG PANAHON NG COWBOYS AND INDIANS, NGAYON PANAHON NG HIPPIES, MAY INDIAN CHANTING NAMAN! AYOS!

Take note, it was adopted only after watching the film and not before.

Tanungin ko nga ulit kayo.

Why are you doing an Indian Rain Chant on the first place?

danny
09-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Found it. 2006 was the first time they called it rain chant. Prior to that, there was no name for it.

franz_inwurdz
09-06-2010, 06:05 PM
......and the thread again hibernates.

Until the next la sallite. ;D

Jeep
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
......and the thread again hibernates.

Until the next la sallite. ;D

bingo. ;D

siops13
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Not sure if off-topic but Erin Torejon (La Salle CSR) in today's Pre-F4 Game Analysis:

"For the past games, the boys were playing without passion and the right ANIMO SPIRIT..." Sheesh! :o

yellowgreen
09-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Not sure if off-topic but Erin Torejon (La Salle CSR) in today's Pre-F4 Game Analysis:

"For the past games, the boys were playing without passion and the right ANIMO SPIRIT..." Sheesh! :o

we heard that too during the replay on balls. sad to say many La Sallians were quite unaware of that. :o

elvis
09-21-2010, 10:39 AM

we heard that too during the replay on balls. sad to say many La Sallians were quite unaware of that. :o

You can include The Green Mind himself, Tony Atayde, among them. He wrote the same "Animo spirit" in his article in greenarchers.ph.

danny
10-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Guys, Animo Spirit is an official tagline even by the administrators of La Salle.

They tried to make "Animo" a brand rather than a simple word used to cheer as done by the Spanish speaking world. They wanted to "own" it to have something uniquely La Salle e.g. Bedan Brotherhood. Unfortunately for them, not all can fooled by their public relations.

Just google Animo Spirit and you will come across this even in their official publications. Continue to educate the fan boys and girls and allow La Salle to use their tagline. Let us not take it away from them.

Now, why would William Tell burst into an Indian chant again?

danny
08-01-2011, 02:05 AM
It's that time of the year that we have to be reminded of what is and what is not.

:)

LION
08-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Even Benilde is using it, and even ironically against us.

They can't even say that it's part of their tradition already simply because they have none........yet.

lekiboy
08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Guys, Animo Spirit is an official tagline even by the administrators of La Salle.

They tried to make "Animo" a brand rather than a simple word used to cheer as done by the Spanish speaking world. They wanted to "own" it to have something uniquely La Salle e.g. Bedan Brotherhood. Unfortunately for them, not all can fooled by their public relations.

Just google Animo Spirit and you will come across this even in their official publications. Continue to educate the fan boys and girls and allow La Salle to use their tagline. Let us not take it away from them.

ang walang kamatayang Espiritu ng MULTO...