PDA

View Full Version : What's your thought on having more teams in the PBA?

chinito_guy
11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Just a thought on this matter,

Yearly PBA holds its annual draft to improve their respective teams roster, but sadly the PBA itself is not expanding (or is slowly doing so? 34 years in existence and it still has only 10 teams)* to accommodate all of the talents that are joining the league every year, and how about those talents that are already in the league? 4-6 years stay and the team releases them or if they are lucky they become part of the team's coaching staff, or they get to play in other leagues like LIGA PILIPINAS.

My point here is, the PBA, the lone provider of Professional Basketball entertainment in this country should be looking forward to expand, that would give the viewers something new, more players to watch and cheered on, and more opportunities for jobs as tacticians and the like.

Right now I am very glad that the PBA is doing well specially in the viewer's share* surveys, i think this is an opportunity to plan the next coming years for a possible expansion.
(maybe Harbour Center, Hapee ToothPaste or Cebu Ninos can be considered)* 8)

paul_theking
12-21-2008, 05:58 AM
fire sonny barios and replace him with someone who cares for basketball...

expand to at least 12-15 teams so many players would have jobs and play the game they love... :)

durden_tyler
12-21-2008, 11:24 AM
This is a non-issue actually because of the fact that it is obvious that the PBA NEED to expand and the number of teams are just not enough to accommodate the number of players applying annually. No need to expand on the fact as well that current good players are not given the chance to show their wares because of limited playing time. So, yes...

The bigger question is if a franchise/company can afford to pay to be in the league then pay to stay--- that is the main issue for these teams. What's the initial franchise fee like? 25 million pesos? (Guestimate.) And the costs of running a (successful) team? If there's a company that is willing to "risk" then the PBA expands...

(In other news/rumors, it is said that a couple of teams will join the league next year. Among them PBL's powerhouse, Harbour...)

Maybe 2009 is the year the PBA indeed expands to record number of teams.

sharky
12-22-2008, 10:16 AM
yes yes yes.. they should have added more teams 3-5 years ago.

there's a lot of talent's that came in the PBA that could have made an impact right away but instead they are sitting in the bench. and talented players playing in lower leagues because they can't play their position in the PBA. juz as what Yeng Guiao is proving that unknown players can shine if just given some playing time. and potential good players in the PBA that could be better but is not given any playing time. experience experience experience all of us know that experience is one of the most important thing for a player to mature. Amateaure players waiting upto 5 years till they are picked up by a PBA team if they are lucky. in my opinion PBA should not stick to a plain corporation league they can get city/provinces to join the league or they can team up city and corps ex. Manila San MIguel Beermen cause if you have a place that you are representing then you can have a sure fan base. not like what is happening nowadays that Ginebra is the team of almost 80% of all pinoys.

hehehe. ;) un lng po.

nash_bedista
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM
ok sa akin.... long long long season yan :o

The_Big_Cat
12-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Too many plalyers and few clubs to play for.
Sana madagdagan ang teams in the PBA para matulungan yung mga unemployed.

The more the merrier, Merry Christmas!!

mighty_lion
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Kung ako tatanungin isang mahabang season na lang per year (ala-nba) para inaabangan talaga. And players get a chance for a longer offseason for them to hone their invididual skills, nurse injuries and concentrate in international tournaments. As for the all Filipino and with import conferences I dont know how to fix this but kung ako lang mas okey yong isang conference lang bawat taon.

Kid Cubao
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
expanding the league membership in order to absorb more players is surely one way to kill the PBA. if it is to expand to 12 to 15 teams, the reasons should be purely economic, i. e. there should be a great demand from the market to expand. at this point, wala akong nakikita. in fact, there are a great number of PBA ballclubs that are in the red, and hence often resort to horsetrading for financial gain. it all boils down to this: why will the league take new member teams when they will only be the first ones to leave when the going gets tough? dapat patunayan muna ng PBA na matatag na sila at napapanahon nang magdagdag sila ng myembro.

about the need to expand in order to "help" unemployed ballers, actually natawa ako dito. kelan pa naging mandate ng PBA ang social welfare? ;D

halos walang pinagkaiba ito sa ginawa ni kuya germs sa "that's entertainment," na kung sino-sinong poncio pilato at mga reyna ng bocaue ang ipinasok para magbasa ng mga pangalan ng sponsors at magsilbing dekorasyon tuwing nagtatagisan ng production numbers ang monday hanggang friday groups. in short, mga walang K mag-showbiz na ipinakisuyo lang kay kuya germs dahil wala silang pambayad sa kuryente, telepono at tubig. as a result, na-dilute yung celebrity appeal ng that's, contributing to its steep decline in its last years. if expansion comes to pass, then the league will be flooded by dubious talents and contribute to its further decline as well.

pepman
12-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Then we would be more famous. And also we will become every Pinoy's favorite again.

Joescoundrel
12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
PBA expansion should be predicated more on improving the overall talent pool, and only secondly as a matter of economics.

Look at the NBA now with its 30 teams. Over the last 28 years or so only eight teams have won the NBA championship, with Dr J's Philadelphia 76-ers, Chauncey Billups' Pistons and Dwayne Wade's Miami Heat as one-hit wonders. Michael Jordan's Bulls won six, Magic's Lakers five, Shaq's Lakers three, Tim Duncan's Spurs four, Isaiah Thomas' Pistons two, Larry Bird's Celtics three, Hakeem Olajuwon's Rockets two. Kevin Garnet's reigning Boston champions will most likely win their second straight title this season. And yet David Stern has always maintained that his league is so competitive that it precludes repeat champions. Hello!

There is a lesson here for the relatively younger PBA. Good basketball is always what will fill the stadium seats. Has anyone seen the Big Dome on a regular game day even with Ginebra playing? Let us say we let Harbour Centre and Hapee Toothpaste in as the 11th and 12th members of the league. Would their entry automatically translate into improving the quality of basketball in the PBA? The last powerhouse expansion team was Purefoods in 1988 with Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Codinera, Jojo Lastimosa and a cast of Shell and Tanduay veterans including four-time MVP Ramon Fernandez. The Tanduay team of Eric Menk and Fil-Sham Sonny Alvarado doesn't count in my book since Tanduay then essentially was reactivated as a franchise.

I believe both Hapee and Harbour would struggle much as Rain Or Shine used to struggle. And even now with ROY leader Gabe Norwood the Elasto Painters still aren't exactly a powerhouse playing just a little over .500 ball. For an all-new franchise to come in they would need a hell of a core group pf players and a tested coach to compete in their maiden year. If I were to form a composite team from Harbour and Hapee I'd take Rico Maierhofer, Mark Barroca, Reil Cervantes, JR Cawaling, Ben Fernandez and Edwin Asoro from the Batang Pier; then I'd take Jervy Cruz, Josh Vanlandingham, Jim Viray and maybe Anthony Espiritu. Then I would try to get two youngish veteran leader/scorer-types out of the other teams, hopefully guys like Mark Caguioa, Mac Cardona, Willy Miller, Ronjay Buenafe, Gary David or someone like them. Out of the draft I would try to get in position to nab Jason Ballesteros and/or Rabeh Al-Hussaini plus RJ Jazul and/or JV Casio.

Coaching this team should be Jorge Gallent. Or maybe Louie Alas should return to pro coaching.

Kid Cubao
12-29-2008, 04:51 PM
that is the exception that proves the rule, joe ;D for a new ballclub to immediate create an impact in the league, then it must be one that is immediately competitive and will contend for a title. but we know that it is impossible to form an allstar team in its maiden year. the components of such a lineup will be dispersed in both the regular and dispersal draft. besides, pro basketball no longer commands the drawing power it used to have--and we all know that pro basketball has always had, and will always have the highest level of play in the philippines.

bchoter
12-30-2008, 12:48 AM
I believe both Hapee and Harbour would struggle much as Rain Or Shine used to struggle. And even now with ROY leader Gabe Norwood the Elasto Painters still aren't exactly a powerhouse playing just a little over .500 ball. For an all-new franchise to come in they would need a hell of a core group pf players and a tested coach to compete in their maiden year. If I were to form a composite team from Harbour and Hapee I'd take Rico Maierhofer, Mark Barroca, Reil Cervantes, JR Cawaling, Ben Fernandez and Edwin Asoro from the Batang Pier; then I'd take Jervy Cruz, Josh Vanlandingham, Jim Viray and maybe Anthony Espiritu. Then I would try to get two youngish veteran leader/scorer-types out of the other teams, hopefully guys like Mark Caguioa, Mac Cardona, Willy Miller, Ronjay Buenafe, Gary David or someone like them. Out of the draft I would try to get in position to nab Jason Ballesteros and/or Rabeh Al-Hussaini plus RJ Jazul and/or JV Casio.

Coaching this team should be Jorge Gallent. Or maybe Louie Alas should return to pro coaching.*
Ones in bold... please take them ASAP :D

chinito_guy
01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm really happy with the reply coming from you guys, reading the posts from great minds really brighten up GameFace!* :D :D :D

If Harbour Center will be part of the expansion team this year and with the suggestion of Sir Joe, there is really no doubt that Expanding is a possibility. I am not dreaming of a PBA that will have so many teams but at least 12 teams for now should be more than enough(considering the global recession baka gang 11 lang this year). There are a lot of Companies out there, and a lot of talents also waiting to be discovered ;D. Sino pa kaya ang pede sumabay sa Harbour sa pagpasok? Hapee kaya? hmmmmm...

jeppoy69
03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
pba should add more teams.

all of the team in the pba are all power house. (except redbull).

in pba now you cant really see who is the real best team in the pba.

and alot of local good players should be playing in the pba.

i think 15 teams should be enough.

as of my perception.

theunderdog
03-06-2009, 03:06 PM
if they think of expanding, they should set modest goals. like one team evey 2 years or something

Emon74
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I prefer only 10 teams, for one, considering that there are only two conferences per PBA Season, chances of every team's winning a championship is lesser, mas may posibilidad pa na mag disband ang isang team kung continous ang losing ways, let's say di umaabot sa top 5 or 6. companies joined the league for exposure and advertisement and it would have an adverse effect sa image ng companya if their team places lasts all the time.

While there are so many talents out there, meron saying "many are called, but few were chosen" if a player deserves to be in the PBA, he'd stay for a long time. kailangan lang maging strick ang policy ng PBA sa mga fil-ams coming, let them follow the same path of those UAAP and NCAA players na maglaro muna to such leagues like the PBL and La Liga to prove their worth before entering the PBA.

irateluvmachine
04-13-2009, 05:30 AM
The last powerhouse expansion team was Purefoods in 1988 with Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Codinera, Jojo Lastimosa and a cast of Shell and Tanduay veterans including four-time MVP Ramon Fernandez. The Tanduay team of Eric Menk and Fil-Sham Sonny Alvarado doesn't count in my book since Tanduay then essentially was reactivated as a franchise.

actually, it's the latter tanduay that i'd count as an expansion team, since they came straight from the PBL...

purefoods, IMHO, wasn't an expansion team, since they took over from the original tanduay, and got most of their old players...

amdgc82
07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=486630&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Pro league to push for expansion
By Nelson Beltran Updated July 14, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - If plans don’t miscarry, the Philippine Basketball Association will complete by next year the structures paving the way for the entry of two new ball clubs by 2011.

The PBA board is keen on accepting two new teams, maintaining that 12 is the ideal number of membership for the league.

Burger King governor Lito Alvarez, the incoming board chairman, wants the plan for the league expansion completed under his term, according to PBA media bureau chief Willy Marcial.

Among the companies being considered as prospective new members are the SM Group, Hapee Toothpaste and Phoenix Fuel.

There are also words that Lance Gokongwei of Robinsons is seriously considering rejoining the pro league. The Gokongweis used to be part of the league, being the owners of the defunct Presto-Great Taste team. They had their triumphant run in the league in the 80s.

Henry Sy and his family, owners of the giant SM Group, have joined the cage world through the National University. They’re now actively backing the Bulldogs in their UAAP campaign.

PBA sources said the Sy family may be involved in the league in the future since it has plans to build a mega playing venue near the SM Mall of Asia in Pasay.

“They could really be of big help to the PBA,” said a league governor.

Hapee Toothpaste is a leading member of the PBL while Phoenix Fuel has had its participation in the pro league, sponsoring a number of PBA events.

Another league official expects the return of Mikee Romero of Harbour Centre.

Romero had joined the league in running the formation of the Burger King Whoppers. He later backed out when the proposed purchase by the Pangilinan Group of Harbour Centre didn’t push through.

League officials also see 12 as ideal number in drawing tournament format and schedule.

“With 12 teams, some members of the board are looking at having two divisions and having divisional champions. It’s easier to handle format with 12 teams,” said Marcial.

This is not to mention the shares the existing teams would get on the entry of new ball clubs. Marcial said a franchise fee at this time would not be lower than P60 million.

amdgc82
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/167284/PBA-mulls-12-team-roster-SM-Group-eyeing-franchise

PBA mulls 12-team roster; SM Group eyeing franchise?
07/13/2009 | 08:08 PM

MANILA, Philippines - As they say, the more, the merrier.

The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) is looking at this line of thinking as it mulls on expanding its current 10-team field to 12 by the 2010-11 season.

Burger King team manager Lito Alvarez broached the idea in what could be one of the several plans he is looking forward to lay on the table once he assumes the chairmanship of the league next season.

So far those being pursued as probable member teams are the SM Group of Companies of billionaire Henry Sy, Phoenix Fuel, and Hapee Toothpaste.

Among the three, the SM Group appears to be the most feasible. It is currently in the process of building a mega-coliseum at the Mall of Asia Complex in Pasay City.

There are likewise talks that the Gokongwei franchise, one of the charter members of the league, is intent on making a comeback. It last saw action in the PBA during the 1991-92 season as Presto Tivoli before it sold its franchise to Sta. Lucia Realty the following year.

“Twelve (teams) is the magic number," a PBA official who requested not to be named, declared. The source said that it is also the maximum number of teams the league could accommodate at the moment.

“This plan, if realized, will surely be a sign how the PBA has grown," said a PBA governor. “This is also a sign that the league will survive despite the hard times."

The cost of acquiring a league franchise ranges from P60 to P70 million. No matter how costly the amount is, however, firms are most likely to make a return on investment soon enough because of the exposure they get both in broadcast and in print.

Already, the PBA is enjoying its most number of teams. There was a time, however, that the league only had six ball clubs when the San Miguel group decided to take a leave of absence. - GMANews.TV

fujitsu
07-14-2009, 10:18 PM
12 teams in the pba are okey. medyo madadagdagan yung excitement kasi medyo matagal tagal mo rin hindi mapanood yung team mong maglalaro. tsaka mas maraming players na magagaling ang mabigyan ng kaukulang tsansa na maipakita yung talento nila.

chinito_guy
07-15-2009, 05:22 PM
wow the powerful Shoe Mart Corporation of bus. tycoon Henry Sy!!! Now that is a welcome development. If a 12 or 13-team league will push through then I believe the PBA will have more draw in viewers attendance, especially if very talented players will be equally distributed and given a chance to play for these new teams. I really hope this will happen next season, If ever 13 teams will compose the PBA (with 3 expansion teams next year + the Smart Gilas developmental team) then that will be a total of 14 teams!!! talk about development.. whew! this is it :D

coreytaylor
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
the more the merrier indeed. most importantly, more players will benefit from this expansion if this pushes through.

amdgc82
07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
http://dynamic2.philonline.com/ManilaStandardToday_photo/new_web_logo.gif
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Lamoiyan knocking on PBA door

LAMOIYAN Corp., one of the most successful teams in the amateur league, is again knocking on the Philippine Basketball Association door.

Bernard Yang, team manager of Hapee Toothpaste in the Philippine Basketball League, reiterated their group’s intention of entering the pro league to give players more opportunity.

“It’s a given fact now that there are so many players being displaced,” Yang told Standard Today. “We want to enter the league to fulfill our dream of making it to the PBA because our contemporaries, like Welcoat and Red Bull, are now in the pro league. It’s a matter of timing and we believe now is the good time.”

Whether the Lamoiyan Corp., which is owned by businessman/sportsman Cecilio Pedro, will join the pro league by buying the Photokina franchise or enter the league as an expansion squad has yet to be determined.

Red Bull, Photokina’s team in the PBA, is reportedly in trouble managing a team in the pro league. They had difficulty fulfilling their obligations to some of their players. Rey Joble

amdgc82
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
http://images.gmanews.tv/gmanewstvlogo_without_beta.jpg
Hapee franchise knocking on PBA’s doors
07/21/2009 | 08:02 PM

Lamoiyan Corporation, owner of Hapee Toothpaste in the Philippine Basketball League, is knocking on the doors of the Philippine Basketball Association.

And according to Bernard Yang, team manager of Hapee Toothpaste, the timing is perfect for the group’s entry to the PBA as it would benefit both the league and the players.

“It’s a given fact now that there are so many players being displaced," Yang said.

“We want to enter the league to fulfill our dream of making it to the PBA because our contemporaries like Welcoat and Red Bull are now in the pro league. It’s a matter of timing and we believe now is the good time."

Whether the Lamoiyan Corporation will join the pro league by buying the Photokina franchise or enter the league as an expansion squad has yet to be determined.

Red Bull, Photokina’s team in the PBA, is reportedly having trouble managing a team in the pro league and fulfilling its obligations to some of its players.

Red Bull has been suffering economic pinch as early as two years ago when it started to trade its marquee players one after another.

Among these were Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, Lordy Tugade, Junthy Valenzuela, Cyrus Baguio and Mick Pennisi, all members of the last Red Bull champion squad.

Up to this time, Red Bull has difficulty paying their players on time, forcing player John Arigo and his agent Danny Espiritu to elevate their complaint to the PBA.

Meanwhile, incoming PBA chairman and Burger King board representative Lito Alvarez said the league’s expansion would be beneficial not only to Asia’s first pro league, but to the players, whose careers have been shortened because of shortage of competing teams.

It would also help save the slumping company of Red Bull, which is reportedly selling its franchise.

“Mabilis ang transition ng players ngayon," said Alvarez. “Right now, you will see players even at their early 30s who are forced to early retirement as they have no teams to play for. I think it’s about time the PBA pushes for expansion."

Aside from Lamoiyan Corporation, the SM Group of business tycoon Henry Sy, the Gokongwei Group and Harbour Centre of Mikee Romero are also expressing their interest to join the PBA.

Sy’s SM company is the staunch backer of National University in the UAAP; the Gokongwei Group a successful member of the PBA family with its Great Taste team in the mid-80s; and Romero’s Harbour Centre maintains a dynasty in the PBL. - GMANews.TV

Emon74
07-22-2009, 06:22 AM
If Barako Bull couldnt put up a competitive team, Its better to disband and let Hapee toothpaste, who's been trying to get into the league, take over its franchise, its not good for the PBA the disparity of SMC teams San Miguel, Purefoods and Ginebra with a strong lineups while Barako Bull and Coca Cola ended up with lesser known players. by 2010-2011, big companies like SM and Gokongwei group may fulfill their dream of forming a PBA team, thus, the league will have 12 teams.

amdgc82
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a8/MB_Logo.png/200px-MB_Logo.png
Barako Bull’s PBA franchise up for sale?
By WAYLON GALVEZ
July 22, 2009, 5:22pm

Talks that the Barako Bull franchise may be up for sale has cropped up again.

Sources from the Philippine Basketball Association disclosed yesterday that the team is ready to discuss offers from interested parties as the global economic slowdown appeared to have hit the local Red Bull company hard more than other PBA members.

Calls to confirm the proposed sale went unanswered as team officials failed to return calls.

Even as the rumors of a Red Bull sale spread, the PBA was at the same time trying to discuss the possibility of adding two more teams to the league.

According to league sources, the team owned by businessman George Chua is reportedly up for sale.

This is actually not the first time that rumors of Red Bull being for sale have been circulating.

A source who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to discuss the matter, said that Barako Bull is talking to several firms. He, however, did not identify the firms supposedly interested to buy Red Bull.

Prior to the Fiesta Cup, there were talks that the franchise is looking for buyers after reports circulated that players were not getting their pay on time.

Financial problems were also reported to be behind the departure of Yeng Guiao as coach who has since transferred to Burger King.

PBA commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios, on the other hand, explained the ramifications of buying the franchise of a member and getting one directly from the PBA.

“If you buy it from the PBA, you can directly bring up some amateurs and have the first pick in the dispersal and rookie drafts. If you buy it directly from the franchisee, you acquire the team’s players,” Barrios said.

“Pero ano pa ba dadatnan mo sa franchise na iyon? Most of the star players may already have been traded and you may just be buying a shell of a franchise.”

He said an interested party must pay at least P60 million franchise fee, although the amount could be less if one buys directly from the franchise owner.

Incoming PBA board chairman Lito Alvarez of Burger King mentioned recently his plans to discuss with his fellow governors the possibility to expand, saying: “I think it’s about time the PBA pushes for expansion. Right now, you will see players even in their early 30s who were forced to early retirement as they have no teams to play for.”

Reportedly interested in joining the PBA are the SM Group of Companies, Phoenix Fuels and PBL team Hapee Toothpaste.

amdgc82
07-25-2009, 07:46 AM
http://www.malaya.com.ph/imges/sports.jpg
Hapee Toothpaste weighing options
BY NOLI CORTEZ

COUNT Hapee Toothpaste out of the Barako Bull equation–for now.

Thus said Bernard Yang, the Complete Protectors’ PBL team manager, who added the Lamoiyan Corp. franchise will join the pro league only after a thorough feasibility study.

"Lahat naman siguro ng basketball-loving companies, PBA ang ultimate target. Pero kapag umakyat, kailangang sigurado," Yang told Malaya yesterday, quoting Lamoiyan principal owner Cecilio Pedro.

"Ang sabi pa ni Doc (Pedro), kai-langang pag-isipang mabuti dahil sa napakalaking move niyan," Yang added.

Hapee has repeatedly cropped up as either one of the prospective buyers of the beleaguered Barako Bull team or as one of the firms bidding to join the PBA’s planned expansion from its 10 current member teams.

Yang said as far as he knows there have never been any talks between officials of the Energy Food and Drinks franchise. He did reiterate, however, the company’s plans of joining the PBA.

"Ang mga contemporaries ng Hapee sa PBL na Welcoat at Red Bull nag-PBA na and Dr. Pedro also wants to go that route," Yang related.

"Pero sinabi din niyang kailangang maghintay muna at mag-isip mabuti bago pumasok sa PBA dahil hindi lang pera kundi marami pang ibang factors ang involved," he added.

A PBA franchise costs around P60 million, but Yang pointed out such things as players and coaching staff must also be considered.

A firm planning to join the PBA must act with haste since the Rookie Draft is set Aug. 2 and the season-opener unfolds in early October.

PinasBeliever
07-30-2009, 11:28 PM
well cguro nga it's time n for Barako Bull to disband since wla nang mllkas n players ang team... p2loi n lng clang mag-eend up being at the bottom of the standings at mas mrming pera ang mwwla sa management kung mngyri nga yun... plgy ko SM ang mggng way pra mas lalung lumakas ang commercialization ng PBA kc s sobrang laki ng SM mlmang mas mageexpand ang exposure ng liga...

offtopic: guys pasagot nmn ng survey ko regarding my thesis about a basketball coliseum,, thanks! eto ung link... :D
http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=NOIEO_f6b00850

thanks po ulit!

amdgc82
08-25-2009, 10:47 PM
http://images.gmanews.tv/header/v2/gmanewsdottv_logo.jpg
Sy family prefers UAAP over PBA; to beef up NU sports program
08/25/2009 | 09:30 PM

Making National University (NU) a championship contender is the main priority of the Henry Sy-owned SM Investments Corporation.

The Sy family, which controls the SM chain of supermalls and listed by Forbes Magazine as the Philippines’ richest family, now owns NU with the elder Sy as the university president.

With that in mind, the giant firm is not inclined to participate in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) next season.

Maybe not this time.

A close associate of Hans Sy told GMANews.TV that SM is not setting its sights on entering the pro league as it is more focused on strengthening NU in the University Athletic Association of the Philippipnes.

Hans oversees the sports development program of the Bulldogs, who last won the UAAP men’s basketball crown in 1954.

“They may be focused on sports development right now, but entering the PBA is not their priority. Not yet at this stage," said the associate who requested anonymity. “They want to make NU a contender in the UAAP not just in basketball, but in other sports as well."

SM is one of those in the PBA short list that may possibly join the league in its expansion program. The league is looking at the possibility of adding two teams next season.

Aside from SM, Hapee Toothpaste of Lamoiyan Corporation also abandoned its plan to enter the PBA next season.

The league is also looking to send invitations to Phoenix Petroleum, the Gokongwei Group of Companies and foreign companies like Sanyo and Samsung.

The Gokongwei Group was one of the PBA’s founding members. It carried teams such as Presto, N-Rich and Great Taste, which ruled the league during the 1980s. Its franchise was sold to Sta. Lucia Realty by the end of the 1992 season.

Phoenix Petroluem has been a staunch supporter of the PBA, sponsoring its provincial games.

Sanyo and Samsung are two Asian brands which might be supported by their mother companies abroad and bring in additional profit to the pro league through sales and advertisements.

The league is expected to welcome two more teams next season aside from having a farm league, a women’s tournament and the transformation of the league into a corporation.

But SM has other plans and the PBA is not its immediate goal. Instead, the company focused on building NU’s sports program. Currently NU’s new owners built a new training facility at the E-Com Center at the SM Mall of Asia for the men’s basketball team.

NU is also set to have a new football field also located at the MOA where they plan to form a new team in time for the UAAP competition in the second round. – GMANews.TV

cobaltinee
10-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I think adding more teams in the league PBA will boost the competitive in every team. More teams willl spend money from their respective players. :)

Emon74
02-18-2010, 10:34 AM
having more teams in the PBA doenst mean more jobs for the players but rather more fil-am invaders turning the PBA into an all-american league and dilluting its popularity, I wouldnt mind having only 9 teams kaysa having one (Barako Bull) who cant afford to be competitive against the rest, reports had it that Meralco (which MVP had 51% and SMC 43% of its share) are set to buy the Barako Bull franchise, pano to puro sister teams na lang.