PDA

View Full Version : The Leprechaun's Thread: all about your world champion Boston Celtics

Pages : [1] 2

pio_valenz
10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I noticed my beloved Celtics didn't have a thread yet in this forum, so here it is. Fellow fans from Celtic Nation, what do you think about our team's chances of repeating? I say they're very good. A lot of experts are picking LeBron and the Cavs to be the biggest stumbling block in the East. I'm surprised at the disrespect everyone has shown the Pistons. I think they're just as dangerous as the Cavs even though Joe Dumars didn't push through with his threat to shake up their roster.

Can't wait for their opening game tomorrow.

MonL
10-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Their chances are very good. But they have their work cut out for them as they are in everyone's sights, as the rest of the league will no longer underestimate them for being in the "lightweight" Eastern Conference. The void left by PJ Brown and James Posey needs to be filled up so that the starters may not burn out too soon. The reserves need to step up; they have had that championship experience already. The Celts have had their troubles against young and physically athletic teams. They may not duplicate their record last year, but they will be in the thick of it come playoff time. Doc Rivers has gained so much experience; he did the right things against PhilJax and won. He may not be considered among the elite coaches just yet. His bigger test is facing him as they try to repeat.

aircanda
10-28-2008, 10:46 PM
medio mahihirapan ang Celtics ngayon.. nagupgrade most of the East Teams, Mo Williams sa Cavs, Brand sa Philadelphia, mga bagong rookies, new coaches for detroit and chicago.. for sure mahihirapan ren sila.. pero at the end of the season.. no.1 pa ren sila i think.. sa playoffs lang magkakaalamanan..

sana makabawi si Lebron senio.. ;D

LION
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Boston won its first game of this NBA season, beating the Cleveland Cavaliers 90 - 85. Great all around game from Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, Leon Powe and Kevin Garnett.

pio_valenz
10-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Rather shaky start. Ray-ray didn't shoot well, and Perkins fouled out. It took crucial free throw misses by LeBron in the last two minutes to seal the win. I only followed the gamecast on espn.com, so I can't comment much on how the C's looked on the court.

arjay_g
10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
powe and tony allen played well. they'll be the ones tasked to lead boston's bench crew, with posey's departure, and they have to keep this up.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Ayus! May Boston thread na pala dito hehe. I agree with most of you here that this year will be crucial for Tony Allen because he'll replace James Posey's role last year. Kung hindi pa rin kaya, Leon Powe will also have to step up (just like what they did yesterday). If these two won't work, patay tayo this year. For me, it will be imperative for Allen and Powe to contribute night in and night out for the C's.

Yan ang kagandahan pag meron kang tatlong kakamada for you. Even if may off-night yung isa or dalawa, you won't get stuck and fear for losing the game. KG can afford to have an offensive night for me because he gives it all on the defensive end and the anchor of the Boston defense. Ray-Ray is the one that I can't afford to have an off-night but with Paul Pierce scoring like madness, okay na rin hehe.

What's up with BTV showing the Bulls-Bucks game instead of showing the C's against LBJ and the Cavs? Mas naging maganda naman di hamak yung game ng Boston-Cleveland compared to the Bulls and the Bucks. I also notice that parang mas madami silang palabas na Lakers game on opening weekend. Oh may gulay naman. The next game for the C's is on Saturday Manila time at home against the Bulls. This will be shown on ESPN.

pio_valenz
10-30-2008, 03:01 PM
bfb, I never would have guessed you were a Celtics fan, what with your nickname's reference to Mike Bibby. :)

Nagulat din ako na hindi pinalabas yung Celtics-Cavs kahapon. I was expecting either BTV or ESPN to show it, lalo na't may ring ceremony. I think Tony Allen and Leon Powe are up to the task of filling James Posey's shoes. They both showed what they could do when Doc Rivers called their number at different times during the playoffs.

tigerman
10-30-2008, 03:13 PM
What's up with BTV showing the Bulls-Bucks game instead of showing the C's against LBJ and the Cavs?* Mas naging maganda naman di hamak yung game ng Boston-Cleveland compared to the Bulls and the Bucks.* I also notice that parang mas madami silang palabas na Lakers game on opening weekend.* Oh may gulay naman.* The next game for the C's is on Saturday Manila time at home against the Bulls.* This will be shown on ESPN.

Nabasa ko dati sa pex na hindi btv ang may final say regarding what games are to be aired on btv. Yan ang sinabi ni Kaboom (a.k.a. Jude Turcuato).

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

stonecold316
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
As long as the Big Three is in the line-up, malakas pa din ang Boston.
After winning their first title back in June, KG promised to do everything he can to bring another title back to Boston. Magandang pronouncement yun because it means that the desire and hunger to win is still there.

Kaya lang, like the others are saying here, mahihirapan this year ang Boston with a lot of team upgrading their line-ups. Boston can return to the Finals unless the Cavaliers and the Pistons stops them.

bigfreeze_bibby
11-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Boston blew the hell out of Chicago kanina via their tough defense. The Bulls got off to a bad start and never recovered from there on. The Bulls were limited to just 29% shooting from the field. The big three had a balanced scoring earlier and set the tone for both ends of the floor for the C's. I still say that they have a good chance of winning the East this season even if other East opponents have beefed up their rosters especially division rivals Toronto and Philadelphia.

Leon Powe was the key off the bench for this game with his 13 points and 6 rebounds to help the Boston frontline. Next stop tomorrow is against Boston legend Larry Bird and his Indiana Pacers. Maaga-agang gising na naman ito since the game will be shown on BTV at 7am.

tigerman
11-02-2008, 09:38 AM
The defending champs suffered their 1st loss of the season courtesy of a young and rebuilding Indiana Pacers, 95-79.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bigfreeze_bibby
11-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah, ang sama ng laro kanina. Both ends of the floor were disappointing for the Celtics. Parang nabulaga sila ng Pacers with their energy and pace inside the court. In fairness to the Pacers, I liked what I saw on Granger, Ford, and even Hibbert who played pretty well on the frontcourt. Jeff Foster gave KG a hard time in the post.

Next stop for the C's is on Wednesday Manila time against on the road against Yao, T-Mac, and Ron-Ron of the Houston Rockets. It will be another acid test for them. Masama yung laro ng big three kanina and as a result, pati bench nahawa. They weren't able to match up Indiana's intensity.

LION
11-10-2008, 08:43 AM
The Celtics are enjoying a 20 point lead against the Pistons at the start of the 3rd quarter. The Pistons, now led by Allen Iverson, were outscored 30-10 by Boston in the 2nd quarter. Let's see if the Pistons still have what it takes to stage a big comeback.

LION
11-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Boston still leading by 18 points at the end of the 3rd quarter, 69 - 51.

Rip Hamilton is having a woeful shooting, going 0 - 7 from the field, and Rasheed Wallace is just 1 - 11.

mighty_lion
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Rip Hamilton is having a woeful shooting, going 0 - 7 from the field, and Rasheed Wallace is just 1 - 11.

Boston defense that is. Sayang talaga pinakawalan nila si Posey.

LION
11-10-2008, 09:33 AM

So far, a healthy Tony Allen is doing wonders as replacement for Posey. Tony Allen is a very good man-on-man defender and can light up the scoreboard as well.

bigfreeze_bibby
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM

So far, a healthy Tony Allen is doing wonders as replacement for Posey. Tony Allen is a very good man-on-man defender and can light up the scoreboard as well.

Yeah! Medyo ulit-ulitin lang niya yan every night and Boston might feel that they didn't miss Posey at all this season hehehe. I am still praying that 'Dyess goes to Boston so further solidify that front line.

pio_valenz
11-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I read in ESPN that a major motivation for the Celts this year is the chance to go and meet Barack Obama in the White House and present him Boston's 18th trophy.

tigerman
11-13-2008, 12:32 AM
A very class act from KG ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arh5bmAsWb0

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

coreytaylor
12-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Rondo has Celtics skating toward another title
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

As Rajon Rondo transforms into an NBA All-Star, he’s relentlessly probed on his point-guard pedigree. The way he plays the position is so distinctive, it defies a clear historical context. Whom do you play like, they ask him. He just shrugs. He didn’t watch basketball as a kid, just played it. He’s never gone back to the old tapes, the progression of the generations before him.

“I’ve watched more “Roll Bounce” and “ATL” than the old point guards,” Rondo confessed with a sheepish laugh on Monday.

Those happen to be the “Hoosiers” and “Hoop Dreams” of roller-skating movies, and Rondo watches them over and over to study and mimic the moves. The fastest-rising young guard in the NBA has a longstanding love of roller skating, a devotion so deep he can be found in the summer circling the rink at Robben’s Roost Roller Skating in Louisville.

Those movies taught him all those moves for trio rhythmic roller skating, where it’s common to watch Rondo cutting it up with two partners. He isn’t trying to be smart, when he insists, “The cardio workout you get from that, I’m more sore than after playing basketball. Sixteen times around the rink is a mile. And you get real tired doing trios.”

Rondo is so strong, so fit, so polished, it’s like he’s playing point guard with those wheels under his Nikes. This season, he’s transforming the Celtics. A year ago, they were a championship team. They won 66 games. They were fantastic. Only now, they’re better. A staggering 26-2 entering Tuesday’s home game vs. the Philadelphia 76ers, they’re chasing historic dominance. They’ll try to break a franchise record with their 19th straight victory Tuesday; then they’ll meet the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday for the most hyped regular-season game in years.

Rondo was good on that championship run that demolished L.A. in the NBA Finals, but he’s blossoming into an all-star now. Across this roster, there are reasons the Celtics are even better than last season, but Rondo has transcended this team, averaging 11.3 points, 7.5 assists, 5.0 rebounds and 2.4 steals. With the way the Celtics are destroying teams, he’s playing less and less in the fourth quarter.

Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are impossible to defend, but Rondo’s rise has turned the Celtics into something extraordinary. He is a 22-year-old point guard with fleet feet, long arms and wiry strength that makes him a menace everywhere on the floor.

“He reminds me of the way the game was played 15 or 20 years ago,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers told the Boston Herald. “This is the way point guards played back then. When he runs the pick and roll, he’s not thinking of how he can score. He’s looking for the way to run the team in the best way possible.”

When Danny Ainge was reshaping the Celtics in the summer of 2007, there were two untouchable players on his roster: Pierce and Rondo. The Seattle Sonics held out for Rondo in the Ray Allen trade, but Ainge wouldn’t budge. Minnesota GM Kevin McHale tried desperately to get him included in the Kevin Garnett package, but it was a deal-breaker. His name kept popping up in reports, but Ainge called him that summer and told him that he was going nowhere.

“I mean, I was a rookie who had just lost 58 games,” Rondo said. “It means a lot that they believed in me.”

Garnett embraced him right away because he loved how Rondo never left the gym, never stopped working. Rondo’s job had changed in the most dramatic way. Suddenly, he was playing traffic cop for the Big Three. As he distributed the ball, Rondo would count the total of shots his teammates were getting on a night. He wanted balance. He wanted order. When Allen struggled in the playoffs, Rondo became a bigger scorer. When Allen’s touch returned in the Finals, Rondo had a 16-assist performance in Game 2.

Whatever they needed, he gave them. Now, Rondo is playing brilliant basketball. He had 26 points against the New York Knicks and never played in the fourth quarter. Opponents can’t leave the Big Three to help on Rondo; he is just killing them. No one goes end to end faster “except LeBron [James],” he said. “Long strides.”

The All-Star Game is on his mind, but he doesn’t dare discuss it. In the Celtics’ culture of KG, only the team matters. Rondo listens to the rest of the NBA talk about free agency in 2010 and hustling spots on the 2012 Olympic team, and it’s just a blur of noise. Yes, Rondo understands there’s a guard job open with Chris Paul and Deron Williams for the London Games, but he doesn’t talk about it.

“I want to win NBA championships,” Rondo said. “I want to win three more while we’ve got the Big Three around. I’ve got a chance to play with great players here, and I don’t want to waste any time thinking about anything else.”

Before the season, Rivers told him that just two starting point guards in history had an NBA title within their first two years in the league: Magic Johnson and Tony Parker. There are better young point guards in basketball, but none as fortunate as Rondo.

“I want to be the point guard who can say he’s won more championships at a young age than anyone ever,” he said.

Rajon Rondo is turning a great team into an unstoppable force, those young legs on skates threatening to lap the league.

pio_valenz
12-24-2008, 02:01 PM
^Oh, great. I just hope you didn't jinx the winning streak. :P

The reason I wasn't posting in this thread even though the Celts were winning was because they started the streak the day after tigerman's Nov. 13 post. ;)

coreytaylor
12-24-2008, 05:16 PM
^^ it doesn't matter if the streak gets broken. what's important is that they will win the championship again. ;)

john_paul_manahan
12-25-2008, 10:22 AM
the big game is tomorrow. :)

stonecold316
12-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Boston vs LA, surely another classic encounter from two of the winning-est teams in the NBA.
May the best team win.

bigfreeze_bibby
12-25-2008, 06:51 PM
6AM on Star Sports guys. Medyo maaga pero sacrifice muna hehe. Ubuntu!

stonecold316
12-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Sa may mga cable, pa update na lang ng scores dito ah.
Maraming salamat!

arjay_g
12-26-2008, 07:13 AM
just tuned into the game. 42-33 lead by the Lakers. 4:34 in the 2nd

arjay_g
12-26-2008, 07:16 AM
46-39 still for the Lakers 2:26 remaining in the 2nd

arjay_g
12-26-2008, 07:23 AM
51-45 in favor of the Lakers end of the 1st half

lots of dunks in the 2nd featuring Garnett and Gasol

Kid Cubao
12-26-2008, 07:39 AM
6AM on Star Sports guys. Medyo maaga pero sacrifice muna hehe. Ubuntu!

holysyet, kagigising ko pa lang ;D

john_paul_manahan
12-26-2008, 07:47 AM
wow. at least i am "watching" on justin.tv

our star sports here does not have the commentary. just the game. weird.

arjay_g
12-26-2008, 07:48 AM
start of 3rd qtr. Garnett hits a jumper. he's got 14 pts on 7of7 shooting. 51-47 Lakers

arjay_g
12-26-2008, 07:54 AM
lost track of what happened but it's now just a 3pt lead for the Lakers 57-54 7:50 in the 3rd

go Celtics!

john_paul_manahan
12-26-2008, 07:59 AM
kobe answers with another 3.

he has 21 pts on 10-17 shooting

arjay_g
12-26-2008, 08:06 AM
64-62 the Celtics with their first lead of the game 3:05 in the 3rd

john_paul_manahan
12-26-2008, 08:13 AM
68-64 lead now for the kobes

john_paul_manahan
12-26-2008, 08:17 AM
71-67 end of 3.

bigfreeze_bibby
12-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Boston should go back to the drawing board after this loss.* It seemed that Doc Rivers gambled too much on putting Tony Allen on Kobe on the 2nd half stretch.* Maybe sinasanay siguro later on but for now, I am not happy with what Tony Allen did defensively on Kobe.* Medyo kabado din bench players ng Boston kanina.* They seemed lost at stretches when Doc fielded an all-bench lineup on the 2nd and start of the 4th quarter.

I feel that Boston needs another big man who can waste up six fouls roughing up either Gasol or Bynum.* Yung depensa ni Tony Allen may remedyo pa pero tingin ko kung kakulangan sa big man e kailangan agapan by signing someone (this is where Boston misses PJ Brown who gave them an added inside presence and additional scoring option within the perimeter) who can perhaps mimic PJ Brown's game. Mutombo's game has floated and I think he can be a good addition defensively for the C's.*

I'll take this loss rather than losing additional games on the road on lesser talented teams such as Golden State. The game gave a good account on what Boston should do in order for them to repeat next year.

john_paul_manahan
12-26-2008, 02:54 PM
lakers needed this win more than the celtics did. but don't worry boston. better now than later.

arjay_g
12-27-2008, 04:26 PM
celts just lost to the Warriors
this is the first time this season they've lost back to back.

coreytaylor
12-27-2008, 07:44 PM
^^^ well, as a boston fan, i really don't care if they lose back-to-back games..make it 3 games or 4, or maybe 5 straight games..in the end of the season, they'll still be the number 1 team in the east. ;D that's how confident I am. ;) again, what's important is that they will get in the playoffs with the homecourt advantage. :)

john_paul_manahan
12-31-2008, 08:26 AM
and then they trashed the Kings....

stonecold316
01-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Boston lost to rival New York Knicks yesterday.
The Celtics team is 2-4 since December 25.

fujima04
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
And they lost again to the Bobcats, 114-106.

What the hell is happening?

stonecold316
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Bobcats surprise Celtics 114-106 in OT
01/07/2009 | 11:13 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Raymond Felton scored 25 points, rookie D.J. Augustin added 11 of his 20 points in overtime, and the Charlotte Bobcats stunned Boston 114-106 on Tuesday to continue the Celtics' sudden slide.

Beaten by their surprising nemesis for the second time in two seasons, the defending champions came undone in OT, and they've quickly gone from unbeatable to vulnerable.

After a team-record 19-game winning streak and an NBA-record 27-2 start, the Celtics lost for the fifth time in seven games, leaving battered, bruised and angry by Larry Brown's upstart Bobcats.

Paul Pierce scored 28 points, but had a key turnover in overtime. Ray Allen scored 20 points on 7-of-20 shooting for the Celtics. - AP

stonecold316
01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Celtics fall at home, 89-85, to Rockets
01/08/2009 | 11:26 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
BOSTON – Now the Celtics are losing at home, too. Von Wafer hit a 3-pointer with 44 seconds left to give Houston the lead and the Rockets beat Boston 89-85 on Wednesday night.

It was the sixth loss in eight games for the defending NBA champions, but their first at home since a Nov. 14 defeat to Denver sent them on a 19-game winning streak.

Yao Ming had 26 points and eight rebounds, scoring on a putback with 12.9 seconds left to help the Rockets snap a three-game losing streak and a five-game road skid.

Paul Pierce scored 26 points, and Kevin Garnett had 18 and eight rebounds for the Celtics.

Wafer, starting in place of Tracy McGrady, had 12 points on 4-for-10 shooting. But he squared up for the open 3 when Aaron Brooks salvaged a near-giveaway and got the ball to Wafer in the corner.

Ron Artest returned after missing back-to-back games with a sore right ankle and scored 17 points for Houston despite playing in foul trouble for much of the night. McGrady had missed one game with a sore left knee before returning against Philadelphia on Tuesday night and struggling in the second half.

Aaron Brooks came off the bench with 19 points for the Rockets, who avoided a second straight season sweep by Boston.

Glen Davis scored a season-high 12 for the Celtics.

Houston led 62-55 early in the second half when Garnett scored on the fast break and then hit a jumper to cut it to three points. The Rockets managed just a pair of baskets, by Artest and Chuck Hayes, over the next 4 minutes while Pierce made six straight free throws and hit a 3-pointer to give Boston a 68-66 lead with 3:49 left in the third.

Houston led 83-81 when Artest fouled out with 3:14 left. Pierce pointed him tauntingly to the sideline, while Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck stood at his courtside seat and waved goodbye.

Pierce made a jumper to tie, it then Yao missed one of two free throws and then Garnett hit Rajon Rondo for a layup that gave Boston an 85-84 lead with 1:34 to play. Garnett blocked Brooks and came down with the rebound, but Boston couldn't score and after Brooks nearly lost the ball, he chased it down and dished it to Brooks for the 3.

Pierce missed a jumper and Brooks grabbed the rebound over Rondo. After Carl Landry missed from in close, Yao put it in to make it 89-85. - AP

coreytaylor
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
And they lost again to the Bobcats, 114-106.

What the hell is happening?

chill. they'll be fine. ;)

Jeep
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
i just miss james posey so badly... :'(

and the team does, too.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/sidebar121208-posey-return.html

LION
01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm not worried. Tough losses; breaks of the game that favored the other teams.

The playoffs will be the defining moment for the Celtics.

coreytaylor
01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
there are a lot of lessons learned from these losses. tough yet there are a lot to be learned from - the error of the past... is the wisdom of the future. also, it's better to lose now than later. so chill out, they Celts will be fine.

Dark Knight
01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
if the Celts loses 10 straight or 20 games out of 22, then its over. ;D

arjay_g
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Rajon Rondo needs to get his play going again. In their 27-2 opening, he was playing stellar ball and was making a case for All Star citations. In their recent slump, his play has dipped and his TOs have gone up.

dark_seid
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
just listened to the bill simmons podcast.

there's an observation that the celtics are the least feared/respected of recent defending champions.

isn't that an over-analysis? reading too much into things?
damon stoudamire remarked to the media when he signed with the spurs a few seasons ago. he couldn't believe how much the spurs were taking everybody's best night in and night out.

stonecold316
01-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Boston suffers another defeat this time against nemesis Cleveland.
2-7 na ang Celtics since December 25.

CLEVELAND (AP) - For days, LeBron James insisted facing the NBA champions in January was no ordinary regular-season game.

He and his teammates proved it.

James scored 38 points, harassed Paul Pierce all over the floor and strengthened his case to be the league's MVP front-runner as the Cleveland Cavaliers improved to 19-0 at home by beating the staggering Boston Celtics 98-83 Friday night in a game oozing with postseason intensity.

James scored 23 in the second half. He added seven rebounds, six assists, four steals and three blocks.

After the Cavs had built their lead to a comfortable 20 points in the second half, Cleveland fans began chanting "M-V-P!"

There was no debate this night.

With James leading the way, the Cavaliers handed the Celtics their second-worst loss of the season and dropped them to 2-7 since opening 27-2. Boston had to resort to fouling Ben Wallace to try to trim Cleveland's lead in the fourth, but the Hack-A-Ben strategy was hardly effective as Cleveland's forward, a 44 percent free-throw shooter, dropped 4-of-8 free throws in a two-minute stretch.

When he was taken out, Wallace shot a menacing stare toward Boston coach Doc Rivers.

Pierce, who came in averaging 19.5 points, was held to 11 on 4-of-15 shooting. Boston's leading scorer only got into double digits when James turned him over to Wally Szczerbiak in the fourth. Before that, James wouldn't let Pierce get out of his sight, chasing up, down and around the 94-foot court.

Kevin Garnett had 18 points and 15 rebounds, and Rajon Rondo added 13 assists for the Celtics, who shot only 41 percent from the floor and didn't have their usual swagger.

Anderson Varejao scored 14 points and Mo Williams 13 for Cleveland, which avenged a season-opening road loss to the Celtics despite playing without injured center Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

The win was vital to the Cavaliers, who lost Game 7 in Boston in last year's Eastern Conference semifinals and want to secure home-court advantage during the playoffs this season. The first tiebreaker if the teams end up with the same record is head-to-head matchups.

James scored 13 in the third quarter, but was his swarming defense - especially on Pierce - that allowed the Cavaliers to take a 72-60 into the fourth.

With James cutting off his driving lanes and keeping a hand in his face, Pierce missed all four shots he attempted in the third. After misfiring on a long 3-pointer just before the horn, a frustrated Pierce turned and said something to fans sitting in courtside seats. They just laughed as he walked to the bench.

Cleveland and Boston have developed a healthy, heated rivalry, something Rivers wishes was more prevalent around the league.

"I think you have to play a team in the playoffs to get a better rivalry, like us with Cleveland," Rivers said. "I think that's what starts it. You see a team every night, seven times, the next time you see them in the next regular season, you can't love each other anymore."

There's no love lost as the teams didn't need long to get reacquainted.

Garnett was called for a technical four in the first quarter when he got caught slapping Varejao's arm after he was shoved by the Cavs forward. James, too, hit the deck after a drive but that seemed to be more the result of him trying to get a call than hard contact.

Cleveland's fans were fired up and in playoff form before the opening tip and the team cranked up the pregame pyrotechnics inside Quicken Loans Arena to levels not seen since last season's Boston series. The added flames may have been requested by Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, who was unable to make it down from his home in Detroit because of heavy snow.

The Cavaliers made their first six shots from the field and finished the first quarter 13-of-18 - James had four of the five misses - to lead 33-23 after one.

Notes: James hasn't decided whether he'll play on the next Olympic team at the 2012 Games in London. Right now, he can't even think about it. USA Basketball's Jerry Colangelo, who put together the 2008 gold medal-winning team, is expected to ask some potential Olympians of their interest at next month's All-Star game in Phoenix. "I won't be ready to answer that," said James, who was asked if he would play in Turkey at the 2010 world championships. "I won't be ready answer that either. That's like next month." ... Rivers joked that Cleveland wasn't always a hostile environment for visitors. "The day LeBron was drafted made it a tougher place to play," he said with a laugh. "I'm just going to leave it there." ... The Cavs play six of their next seven on the road, including four on a West Coast trip.

joelex
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Losing Posey and not to mention PJ Brown is much more vital than what it seems and is finally taking its toll. With Lebron in the way before Kobe in the playoffs, they badly badly need a defensive presence to hound those 2 stars and to keep Pierce focused on the offensive end. That bench needs an upgrade (bigs and wing) soon if they wanna have another shot at the title.

MonL
01-12-2009, 12:18 AM
What's next? If they take in 'Toine and Steph for depth, that's really pressing the panic button.

Naaaaah.

coreytaylor
01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
The Celts won again against the Raptors. Sana tuloy2x na toh.

LION
01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
What's next? If they take in 'Toine and Steph for depth, that's really pressing the panic button.

Naaaaah.

They just need Scalabrine to step up.... ;)

LION
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Boston vs. New Jersey

Boston ahead 71 - 51, 5:24 in the 3rd period.

Brian Scalabrine is the starting center for the Celtics in lieu of Kendrick Perkins who is out with another shoulder injury. Playing for 22 minutes already as of this writing, Scalabrine has collared so far a grand total of 1 rebound ;D. But he's making up for it with 9 points, 1 steal and 1 block shot with no turnover.

LION
01-15-2009, 10:33 AM
End of the 3rd, 88 - 60 in favor of Boston.

The Celtics rode on the hot hands of Paul Pierce who converted four 3pointers in the 3rd canto to give the Celtics their biggest lead of the game. The Celtics played an almost perfect game in the 3rd quarter, converting a total of 37 points.

The Celtics are doing a good defensive job on Vince Carter who's just shooting 1/10 from the field.

LION
01-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Enjoying a 30 point buffer in the 4th quarter, Doc Rivers is now giving rookie Bill Walker playing time.

LION
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Boston won this game, 118 - 86.

pio_valenz
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
just listened to the bill simmons podcast.

there's an observation that the celtics are the least feared/respected of recent defending champions.

isn't that an over-analysis? reading too much into things?
damon stoudamire remarked to the media when he signed with the spurs a few seasons ago. he couldn't believe how much the spurs were taking everybody's best night in and night out.

Hmm. If there's one team that would fit this bill, I'd imagine it would be the Miami Heat when they were the defending champions in '06-'07.

Right now the Celts have played three more games than the Lakers and four more games than the Cavs, so they're due for a lighter schedule down the road.

coreytaylor
01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Eddie House was hot against the Kings drilling 8 out 9 3pt baskets.

Dark Knight
01-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Im still hoping against hope that Boston will eventually acquire Stephon Marbury. Rondo and House are good but they will really need a veteran PG come the playoffs.

Reggie Miller......care to change your mind? ;D

aircanda
01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
^ How bout Sam Cassell. Nasa roster pa siya.

LION
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Eddie House was hot against the Kings drilling 8 out 9 3pt baskets.

House on fire!

And don't call the fire department. Flame on!!! ;D

arjay_g
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
^ How bout Sam Cassell. Nasa roster pa siya.

I'd rather they let Sam play than acquire Steph.

LION
02-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Boston Celtics vs. LA Lakers

17-14, Lakers - 4:48 in the 1stq.

LION
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
23 - 20, Lakers, end of 1stq

LION
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Eddie House with a 3-pointer to give Boston a 4 pt lead, 70-66, with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

LION
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
81-77 in favor of the Celtics, end of 3rd.

Hot shooting by House who made 4/5 three pointers. He has 16 points so far on a less than 15 minutes playing time.

LION
02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Hold on to your seats.* Score tied at 101, 7 seconds remaining. Boston timeout for its final play.

Doc Rivers took out Perkins and Davis for T. Allen and House.* 5 shooters on the floor for Boston.

Oovertime.*

Lakers beat the Celtics, 110 - 109. >:(

pio_valenz
02-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Another great game from these two great rivals. Naturally, I would have preferred a Celtics win, but the game itself was a joy to watch.

KG was missed down the stretch, although I think the game was Boston's for the taking in regulation. Kobe hit some unbelievable triples to keep it close.

Okay, boys, time for another win streak.

aircanda
02-06-2009, 04:42 PM
tama si Reggie Miller.. mga cold blooded 3s yung mga binitawan ni Kobe dun.. mukhang kontrapelo nila Lakers ah

MonL
02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Fitting tribute for the NBA's greatest winner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Russell, it was always about the winning
Feb 15, 4:47 am EST

PHOENIX – They marched him to a podium with the NBA Finals MVP trophy that’ll bear his name now, and the words had barely begun tumbling out of Bill Russell’s mouth when his hands began to tremble, his eyes welled, his voice cracked. Russell had always controlled the room with that guttural laugh and peerless presence, but the game’s greatest champion had seldom appeared so mortal, so vulnerable.

He just turned 75 years old, just lost the love of his life, Marilyn, to cancer, and now the league’s linking of his legacy to that annual award moved Russell to such bittersweet sorrow.

“I just lost my special person,” Russell said, the words stopping short. Somehow, this touched him to his core. No one saw it coming in the room, and no one could breathe. He just fought back those tears, fought back the ache of loss that comes with time’s passage.

Russell is the NBA’s forever champion, the center on the Boston Celtics’ forever teams. Eleven titles in 13 seasons belong to him, and yet the NBA never gave an MVP award for the series until his final year, when he was player-coach and the Los Angeles Lakers’ Jerry West won it on the losing end.

All these years later, there were Shaquille O’Neal and Dwight Howard, LeBron James and Tim Duncan inside the U.S. Airways Center on a frivolous All-Star Saturday night. The NBA was never a big party when Russell played, never a clown show. This nonsense was never his thing, just winning and winning and winning and winning.

All these years later, Bill Russell was still the biggest basketball star in the building. He towers over the sport, its most regal and enduring champion. There isn’t a player alive who could’ve taken over an interview room with the gravity of his emotion, his stature. In such public sorrow, such a humbled state, he never looked bigger.

Maybe the NBA doesn’t get out of the 1950s and 1960s without the romance of the Boston Celtics’ dynasty. Maybe Dwight Howard wouldn’t have been wearing Superman’s cape, and LeBron those shades, and, maybe, 215 nations around the world wouldn’t be watching the All-Star Game on Sunday night.

“I accept this for my team,” Russell said. “And my team included our coach, Red Auerbach…” Russell has done everything. He’s set the standard for the responsibilities, the duties of a franchise star. There was no max-out contracts for Russell, just a max-out burden. People still underestimate that when Auerbach retired, he made Russell a player-coach and Boston won another title. Just imagine that – a player-coach winning an NBA title. When Wilt Chamberlain was chasing 100 points in a night, Russell was running out of fingers for his championships rings.

And he did. No one ever catches him now. No one ever wins eight in a row, and no one ever wins 11. That’s the safest record in sport. Whatever today’s players have on him – money and endorsements and global fame – no one has winning on the Celtics captain, and never will. He took a long look at that MVP trophy and marveled. “This is one of my proudest moments in basketball because I determined early in my career the only important statistic in basketball is the final score,” Russell said.

His old point guard, Bob Cousy, was on the telephone later Saturday, from his winter home in Florida and heard how the NBA had honored Russell in Phoenix. “Did they really?” Cousy said, when told the Finals MVP award now has his old teammate’s name. “Maybe Michael Jordan was the best all-around player, but Russ has the preeminent accomplishment in team sports in the world,” Cousy said. “When people think about winning, they think about Bill Russell.”

As the Celtics returned to glory a season ago, Russell’s connection to Kevin Garnett became part of the consciousness. Russell had found a kindred spirit on the Celtics again, the best defensive 7-footer in the sport. Garnett had a reverence for history, for Russell’s legacy, and honored him with word and deed. To see them marching the corridors of the Boston Garden that June night, when the Celtics had beaten the Lakers in Game 6, beaten L.A. again after all those years, was purely poetic. Two eras, two champions, marching arm and arm into forever.

When Russell could’ve been dismissive of people trying to compare his game to that of the long, wiry Garnett, he never gave it the, “Hey, what’s he ever won?” No, Russell told them he believed there were two or three championship rings awaiting the Celtics, and he had one to spare for KG should that never happen. When Boston was on the way to that 17th banner, Russell said, “I told Kevin and the guys, especially Paul [Pierce], that they were playing like Celtics.”

Mostly, Russell sees a time and a place in Boston where an African-American star can be fully embraced, fully embedded in the city. When Doc Rivers was hired as coach of the Celtics, no one asked him in his news conference what they once did Russell: Essentially, does a black man have the intellect to coach?

Some reporter asked Russell that one day in 1968. Somehow, he bit his lip and delivered a reasoned response.

Always, Russell has had the ability to control his environment. He had an impenetrable will, a capacity to impose his resolve.
When Russell remembered those tumultuous times on Saturday night, he told a story about his first house in suburban Boston and how someone kept turning over his trash barrels when he’d leave town. He asked the local police to patrol his house a little more regularly, and they told him, “It’s probably just raccoons.”

So Russell said he told them, “OK, while I’m here, I would like to get a gun permit.”

And then he laughed that throaty laugh and declared, “The raccoons heard about that, never turned the trash cans over again.I never had to buy a gun.* :D :D :D*
The point is, I handled all kinds of situations with a positive attitude, and as my father said, always being a man. I had to be a man in my father’s eyes…”

The NBA gave Russell one of those Finals MVP trophies to hold on his way out of All-Star weekend and he knew where he wanted to take it. His wife is gone now. Red, too. Maybe that was so much of the reason that the tears started to come here, that his voice cracked, that his heart seemed so touched they still remember him and hold him in such high regard.

“What I am going to do next week is visit my father’s grave,” Russell said, “and I’m going to share that with him.”

Bill Russell wiped the tears out of his eyes Saturday night, and started on his way into the arena where everyone was waiting for him. Shaq and Duncan, Howard and James. The biggest basketball stars in the world had come to the desert, and yet the old man with the gray beard and gap-toothed grin and cackling roar still lorded over them all.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Kid Cubao
02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
my only comment is that it should have been named in his honor a long time ago. he's the ultimate winner in all of team sports, and he carried himself with a rare grace and royal bearing. the NFL's winningest team, the pittsburgh steelers, need five more super bowl trophies before they can equal bill russell's 11 NBA titles.

LION
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
One man stands tall and proud in an era where selfishness and greed reign. Bill Russell, you are the greatest Celtic and NBA player of all time.

cub
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM
the Celtics sent Sam Cassell to the Kings for a future second round pick.

WTF? i don't get it. Sam doesn't provide any cap relief. his salary is just $797 K. maybe the C's would sign another PG? Marbury maybe?

pio_valenz
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
^They need to clear a roster spot to make it easier to maneuver around possible trades or free agent pick-ups. With Cassell, they had the maximum 15 players in their roster. The downside is they lost a positive locker room presence.

MonL
02-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Celts just picked up 7'0" 225 lb. center Mikki Moore off waivers. Another hungry and scrappy fringe player who could help them in the playoffs.

tigerman
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Excellent pickup by the defending champs with KG out (and maybe Scalabrine as well) due to injuries.

Mikki Moore played well during his one and only season with NJ primarily bec. of Kidd and Carter. I expect the same thing to happen with Pierce and Allen.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

pio_valenz
02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Good article on Rajon Rondo (bold font mine).

As a fan of diversity, in genes as in other things, I'm against cloning.

But if I were living a sci-fi movie, and had to somehow maximize NBA profitability without leaving some illicit basement laboratory, my short list of ideas would include methamphetamines in the locker room coffee (worked in baseball!), calf-muscle rocket boosters, or ... thirty Rajon Rondos.

Honestly. If the point is to have fun watching basketball, and the Phoenix Suns aren't in their prime any more ... who would ever want to watch a game without a Rondo? (Special allowances could be made for contests featuring Chris Paul.)

How do I know he's ridiculously fun to watch? My mom told me.

The other day my mother -- who does not watch a ton of NBA basketball, but generally likes the Blazers -- took the conversation well off-topic to declare that Rajon Rondo was simply her favorite NBA player. It's a small focus group, but one that means a lot to me.

And I can back it up with my own experience. Let's not bog down this argument with actual numbers and such, but it sure seemed to be that for a spell there in Denver on Monday night, Rondo -- the point guard -- had more offensive rebounds than all the Nuggets together had defensive rebounds. He was everywhere, doing everthing, and all in delightfully fast and sneaky style.

Read the rest of the article here (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-38-230/Rajon-Rondo-and-Rajon-Rondo-and-Rajon-Rondo.html).

arjay_g
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
now that the Knicks have waived Marbury, will the Celts really pursue him? abangan.... ;D

JonarSabilano
02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
now that the Knicks have waived Marbury, will the Celts really pursue him?* abangan.... ;D

Please don't :'(

myktristan
02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I think it would likely happen that he will be signed..they need him as back up PG..but then again, would the owner and GM mess with the chemistry of the team?

joelex
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I think the signing of Marbury is a good one. At this point, the Lakers are just too deep and are primed to go all the way. Boston needs something new to overcome the loss of Posey and Brown at the same time giving them another player who is definitely motivated to prove his worth in the league. While Marbury is not exactly your "team player", more than anything else doing nothing wouldnt give the C's a new threat going into the playoffs and may just jeopardize their chances of repeating, and maybe even getting past the Cavs. Barring everything else, Marbury is still one of the most talented when he fits right and has his game going so this is a gamble worth taking in.

MonL
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
^The locker room police would also have to lay down the law.

arjay_g
02-28-2009, 01:44 AM
say hello to your newest Celtic:

at guard standing 6 foot sumthin... wearing emergency jersey #65.... STEPHOOOOON MARBURRRRY

hehehe

source (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-marbury&prov=ap&type=lgns)

bigfreeze_bibby
02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Wag lang sana siya maging lason sa team. Well, it's all up to KG and Doc to be the policemen in that locker room.

tigerman
02-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Boston needs more firepower but not a point guard or another shooting guard trapped in a pg's body. What they really need is a dependable swingman who can ease the pressure off Pierce and R. Allen and can shoot & play decent D. With Posey's departure and their only remaining legit swingman out indefinitely, Pierce and Allen would have to take turns in guarding the Kobes, Lebrons, Wades etc.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Kid Cubao
02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Wag lang sana siya maging lason sa team. Well, it's all up to KG and Doc to be the policemen in that locker room.

oh sheesh. my thoughts exactly. good luck boston, i hope you know what you're getting into.

MonL
02-28-2009, 09:48 AM
^They signed him to a prorated veteran's minimum contract. That's so easy to swallow if he becomes more trouble than he's worth and they decide to dump him.

You can only hope for him to contribute positively, poison repute notwithstanding. If not, they have a plan B for him already.

yungha
02-28-2009, 10:27 AM
parang kinikilabutan ako at the possible sight of stephon hugging the trophy, shouting i did it mom! anything's possible!!! yuck. i want the celts to win but neither do i want that bum getting a championship ring. he hasn't earned and doesn't deserve it.

pio_valenz
02-28-2009, 11:10 AM
^My sentiments exactly. I'm not really too worried about Marbury's being a potential locker room poison because they can always just cut him; he needs the Celts more than they need him. But if he wins a ring in June, ahead of Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, all the Knicks players he disrespected, man, that's tough to swallow.

Btw, he scored 8 points in 13 minutes off the bench in his Celtics debut.

Kid Cubao
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
it's the very idea that the celtics franchise would even consider getting a time-tested malcontent and overall negative presence like stephon marbury that revolts me. for danny ainge, what does he really want in stephon marbury when they could have gotten another bargain-basement backup playmaker so he can free up more cap space for a dependable big who can spell either KG or kendrick perkins? better yet, he shouldn't even have gotten stephon and leave the guard situation as is and instead made an honest offer to robert horry, who has been deactivated by the spurs but had earlier declared his intention to play another season or two.

bossman
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Gettin Starbury would just not make any sense for the Celts. He a'int gonna be big help for them.

Dark Knight
02-28-2009, 01:08 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2009/02/ipt/1235789404.jpg

Bring on the Lakers. ;)

coreytaylor
02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
we dont exactly know what steph can do to boston. for now, lets leave things as it is. as a boston fan, im just excited that he's in boston.

arjay_g
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
^My sentiments exactly. I'm not really too worried about Marbury's being a potential locker room poison because they can always just cut him; he needs the Celts more than they need him. But if he wins a ring in June, ahead of Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, all the Knicks players he disrespected, man, that's tough to swallow.

Btw, he scored 8 points in 13 minutes off the bench in his Celtics debut.

ok now this got me depressed... the thought that at this point he has a better chance of getting that ring ahead of Kidd and Nash, those two being the best examples of what a PG should be.

dark_seid
02-28-2009, 06:36 PM
it's the very idea that the celtics franchise would even consider getting a time-tested malcontent and overall negative presence like stephon marbury that revolts me. for danny ainge, what does he really want in stephon marbury when they could have gotten another bargain-basement backup playmaker so he can free up more cap space for a dependable big who can spell either KG or kendrick perkins? better yet, he shouldn't even have gotten stephon and leave the guard situation as is and instead made an honest offer to robert horry, who has been deactivated by the spurs but had earlier declared his intention to play another season or two.

from robert horry's point of view, danny probably won't even touch on the idea because of some towel-throwing incident from a few years back in phoenix. ainge was the coach and horry was the frustrated player.

The_Big_Cat
02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
from robert horry's point of view, danny probably won't even touch on the idea because of some towel-throwing incident from a few years back in phoenix. ainge was the coach and horry was the frustrated player.

I remember this from ESPN Sportscenter in the mid-90s. Ainge (Phoenix coach then) was seated when a towel got thrown in his face by Robert Horry, who was headed to the bench after being substituted.

MonL
03-01-2009, 12:26 AM
parang kinikilabutan ako at the possible sight of stephon hugging the trophy, shouting i did it mom! anything's possible!!! yuck. i want the celts to win but neither do i want that bum getting a championship ring. he hasn't earned and doesn't deserve it.

I remember the late Dennis Johnson, then blossoming as the NBA's best defender and becoming a champion in '79, being interviewed on court in one regular season game and asked if he had any words for his former coach Bill Russell who was the TV analyst for that game (Russell had quit coaching the Sonics in '77 while DJ was in his second year).

All DJ said was "BAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" while sticking his tongue out. Russell responded with his good-natured thunderous laugh. :)

Steph may not emote KG style should that time come, but may most likely act like DJ and stick his tongue at his perceived critics or detractors. But the ball is in his court. He has lots to prove and to dispel.

Kid Cubao
03-01-2009, 06:38 AM

if that's the case, then it's lame for danny ainge to be bearing grudges that way because i've seen far worse altercations between a coach and opposing player that later reunited in the same organization. i can begin to cite examples involving maurice lucas, as an opposing player originally drafted by portland in the 70s, and teams like new york and LA. he later played for those teams and added the element of toughness they needed at the time. hindi lang towel-throwing kundi talagang bench-clearing brawls ang kinasasangkutan nya.

in robert horry, what the celtics would have been getting is a big-time playoff warrior who's been there, done that and has the rings to prove it. his clutch performances may already be behind him, but who knows? at the very least, he can provide needed relief for either KG and kendrick perkins especially on defense, plus he has the ability to stretch the opponent's D because of his three-point shooting. in his later years with LA and san antonio, horry has become an elder statesman of sorts who has this soothing, light presence in the locker-room that would have also counterbalanced the overbearing intensity of KG.

that's why i find it ironic when others say that garnett would be there to police marbury, because i have this gut feel that the celtics are already doing some sort of policing on him for his propensity to rag on teammates, especially those he can pick on. anyway, back to marbury: just keep him on a short leash in the same way that former indiana university president myles brand imposed a "zero tolerance" policy on former head coach bobby knight ;D

pio_valenz
03-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Since we're talking about whether it's the Celtic way to get head cases like Marbury just for the sake of winning, it must be noted that Danny Ainge himself wasn't exactly a choir boy when he was wearing the green and white. My point is, I don't think Ainge was worried about disrespecting the franchise when he pulled the trigger on Starbury's signing.

But I do agree that Horry would have been a better pick-up. The only reason I can think of as to why this didn't happen is that he's been inactive for too long, so his stamina and conditioning might be in question.

03-01-2009, 08:56 AM
The leprechauns will decide whether he is Starbury or Starburied.....

8)

Dark Knight
03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Too bad theres no more NY vs Boston in their last 22 games.

But 2 consecutive tough games against Cleveland and Orlando are in the horizon.

john_paul_manahan
03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
well... they beat the Lebrons the other day.

i would think they would be fine with starbury. a little shimmy on their champ rings would do the trick.

tigerman
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/tigerbj/2yyqbnc_jpg.gif

Indeed, the truth hurts. :D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

aircanda
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
^ kung kayo nga naman si paul pierce, baka hinde niya nga aapiran ang pobreng batang iyon.. pero kawawa naman ang bata.. trauma yan..

pio_valenz
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Paano, naka Lebron jersey eh. :D

Dark Knight
03-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Quote from: MonL on February 22, 2009, 09:25:04 AM
Quote from: Dark Knight on February 22, 2009, 07:59:00 AM
Garnett out two to three weeks.

And Boston's title defense goes poooffff!!

If that hapened in the Finals, maybe.

It's way too early to write them off now.

True, but my concern is Boston is losing with KG playing. And without KG, they might rack up more losses and eventually falls into 4th or 5th place in the Eastern Conference and worse lose thier homecourt advantage.

But hey, its only Cleveland standing on their way for another Eastern Conference championship.

I pasted this post from the 2008-09 NBA Season Thread.

So, the worst Boston will get is a third seed in the Eastern Conference. Hopefully, they win their last game against Cleveland to gain homecourt advantage against them, and pray that the injured will once again rise to the occasion once the playoffs begins.

pio_valenz
04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh, we are so screwed...

Maybe this is why Danny Ainge had a heart attack.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4073024

Dark Knight
04-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I was hoping its just a psychological warfare being used by the Celtics so that teams wont prepare against them with KG playing.

I have this feeling KG will play in the playoffs.

stonecold316
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Mahihirapan ang Boston kung wala si Garnett. Pero regardless, malakas pa din ang Boston.
Good luck sa playoffs.

stonecold316
04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Celtics GM Danny Ainge has mild heart attack
04/17/2009 | 07:05 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | ShareThis
BOSTON – Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge has been hospitalized after suffering what the team described as a minor heart attack.

The team issued a statement Thursday saying that the 50-year-old Ainge was "recovering nicely" at Massachusetts General Hospital and is expected to remain there for a few days.

Ainge was a guard on two of the Celtics championship teams in the 1980s and took charge of the team's basketball operations in 2003. He engineered trades last year for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, paving the way for the team to win its first NBA title since 1986. - AP

MonL
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I'd like to think that Doc is prodding the bench to step up in the absence KG to harden them further. I think they got a lightweight opponent in Chicago in the first round of the playoffs. KG needs the rest but he may be forced do a Willis Reed later on as the playoffs heat up.

THEN can you test a franchise's character should things get worse:
1) Will KG be shut down for his own good or

2) Will he be pressed to service at the risk of
* *a) aggravating a potentially career-ending injury to win it all this year or
* *b) dragging the franchise down and fall short ala an injured Isaiah Thomas in Game 7 vs the Lakers in '88?

But hope(and fanaticism) springs eternal in me.
Therefore, KG will heal in time, and the Celtics will hoist Banner 18.
This year. ;D

pio_valenz
04-17-2009, 03:57 PM
The Truth has to step up and stake his claim as an all-time Celtic great.

john_paul_manahan
04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I think they got a lightweight opponent in Chicago in the first round of the playoffs.

i beg to disagree. they have the necessary tools. bulls are dangerous with their depth.

however, that will not stop the c's.

MonL
04-17-2009, 04:22 PM
^Pio, *I think he earned that already by his performance last year. Still, you're right about his having to step up. But really, that's a tough load for just one man to carry.

MonL
04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I think they got a lightweight opponent in Chicago in the first round of the playoffs.

i beg to disagree. they have the necessary tools. bulls are dangerous with their depth.

however, that will not stop the c's.

Their comparative playoff inexperience is their weakness.

Give them probably another year of seasoning and yes, they could move up to the eastern semis.

dark_seid
04-17-2009, 07:17 PM

* *b) dragging the franchise down and fall short ala an injured Isaiah Thomas in Game 7 vs the Lakers in '88?

This year. ;D

this is so true if you recall mchale and his limp (i am not sure about bill walton if his foot issues were franchise related).

bear in mind how san antonio (and gregg popovich) withheld timmy, then still a very young 3-year nba veteran, for their first attempt at defending their championship (which they eventually lost in 4 games in a best-of-5 first round playoff). some sports writers and analysts think that that instance of a franchise taking care of their own did influence timmy of not switching to orlando.

MonL
04-17-2009, 08:09 PM

This year. ;D

this is so true if you recall mchale and his limp (i am not sure about bill walton if his foot issues were franchise related).

bear in mind how san antonio (and gregg popovich) withheld timmy, then still a very young 3-year nba veteran, for their first attempt at defending their championship (which they eventually lost in 4 games in a best-of-5 first round playoff). some sports writers and analysts think that that instance of a franchise taking care of their own did influence timmy of not switching to orlando.

Walton's foot issues hounded him when he was still in Portland in the mid-70s. The year after they won the title in 1977, they were on their way to the alltime NBA record when he went down with injuries. It was lights out for the Blazers as a result in the playoffs. He was still a good sixth man for Boston in their '86 title run as he gave quality minutes in a limited role off the bench.

KCJones probably shortened the careers of the Original Big 3 by playing them extended minutes, but it was not exactly his fault as the death of Len Bias short circuited their succession planning. A lot was at stake as they were championship contenders year in and out and their window of opportunity got smaller as the 80s came to a close.

dark_seid
04-18-2009, 10:21 AM
but looking at the big picture, celts won banner 17 due to the addition of garnett and ray ray. so everything is worth it (including the possible next 3 years of salary cap hell if kevin can't equal his $55M contract). the only goal each season is winning the last game of the year, and only 1 team out of 30 can claim that.

MonL
04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Celts just lost their playoff opener by an OT squeaker they should have won in regulation. Ray Allen was invisible. Rondo and Pierce took up the slack, but the starters played major minutes.

Plus Rose walked over them, Noah and Brad Miller grabbed 17 and 12 caroms against their frontline.

The question is whether the Bulls can sustain that against a veteran playoff team. I'll have to see a second straight Boston loss to say that they are for real.

Dark Knight
04-19-2009, 04:05 PM
@#$%*&^%$@#%$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

mighty_lion
04-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Rose way toying Rondo's man defense. It doesnt matter whether its right or left for Rose to pass by Rondo's defense and get himself into the rim. Im quite impressed with the rookie especially the way he took over the game.

This series might not be as easy as people think for Boston just like last year against the Hawks. Too many transition baskets allowed and Ray Allen is shooting bricks. The positive side of it is that Boston just lost by 2. The negative side of it is letting the Baby Bulls know they have striking stance for upset.

stonecold316
04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Celtics GM Danny Ainge attends team shootaround
04/21/2009 | 09:05 AM
BOSTON – Celtics general manager Danny Ainge attended Boston's shootaround Monday after being released from a hospital following a heart attack but was not at the second game of the playoffs against the Chicago Bulls.

Ainge was released from Massachusetts General Hospital on Sunday, three days after he was admitted and had surgery. The 50-year-old Ainge did not speak with reporters Monday.

"It meant a lot" to see Ainge at the morning shootaround, Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "He came in today, then we told him to go home. It was great to see him."

Asked if he thought the intense Ainge would watch Monday night's game at home, Rivers said, "I don't know if anybody in his house will be able to turn the TV off."

Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro, a Celtics fan who was born in Springfield, said he also talked with Ainge after the heart attack.

The Celtics lost to the Chicago Bulls 105-103 in overtime Saturday in the opener of the first-round series.

Ainge is in his sixth season in Boston's front office. He was a guard on two Celtics championship teams in the 1980s and was an NBA All-Star in 1988. - AP

stonecold316
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Allen helps Boston even series against Bulls
04/21/2009 | 10:04 AM
BOSTON – Ray Allen picked the perfect time to snap out of his shooting slump.

Allen made a tiebreaking 3-pointer with 2 seconds left and finished with 30 points, leading the Boston Celtics a 118-115 win over the Chicago Bulls in Game 2 of their playoff series Monday night.

Ben Gordon nearly carried Chicago to a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series. He scored with 12.3 seconds left to tie it, and had a playoff career-high 42 points. Then Boston set up a play for Allen, who took a pass from Rajon Rondo and connected from the right side.

Allen had just four points on 1-for-12 shooting in Boston's 105-103 overtime loss on Saturday.

The next two games of the series are scheduled for Chicago on Thursday night and Sunday. - AP

arjay_g
04-22-2009, 03:43 AM
injuries just keep piling for the defending champs
===========================================

Another Celtics F hits the bench

WALTHAM, Mass. (AP)—Boston Celtics forward Leon Powe is out for the rest of the season with a torn knee ligament.

The Celtics are already without Kevin Garnett as they try to defend their unprecedented 17th NBA title.

The Celtics beat the Chicago Bulls 118-115 on Monday night to even their best-of-seven first-round series at one game apiece. Powe hurt himself on a spin move but stayed on the court three more minutes trying to play.

Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo is sitting out practice Tuesday and Wednesday with a sprained ankle. But coach Doc Rivers says Rondo will be able to play in Game 3 on Thursday night.

source (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-powe&prov=ap&type=lgns)

arjay_g
04-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Tony Allen is reportedly receiving death threats from a Chicago resident. Wow, the Celtics sure are going through so much in their title defense aspirations.

================================================== =====================

Security beefed up in wake of threat

CHICAGO – As the target of a death threat by a Chicago man, Boston Celtics guard Tony Allen was under intensive watch by an increased force of NBA security officers Thursday night at the United Center, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

NBA security staff had an additonal presence around the Celtics bench.

“It’s a private team matter,” Celtics president Rich Gotham told Yahoo! Sports. “It’s just not something that we are going to talk about.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league doesn’t comment on security issues.

Sources say that the trouble stems from an alleged disagreement with a Chicago individual that dates back over a year.

Allen played one minute in the second quarter of Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals between the Celtics and Bulls. Allen, 26, is a Chicago native.

After the Celtics’ 107-86 victory, Celtics coach Doc Rivers wouldn’t discuss the cirumstance involving Allen, telling Yahoo! Sports that he wasn’t at liberty to discuss it. “It is what it is,” Rivers said.

source (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-allen042309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

pio_valenz
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
What a lousy way to start the week. I stayed up till 4:30AM to watch the C's lose in double OT. >:(

They had several chances to the Bulls away in the first OT, but they just couldn't close the deal. Gotta hand it to the Bulls, though, for hitting big shots in the last 2 minutes of the first OT.

Kainis, dapat 4-0 sweep ito eh!

tigerman
04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Rajon Rondo finished with another triple-double.

In the first 4 games, he's averaging 23.3 points 10.8 rebounds 10 assists and 3.5 steals while shooting 50% from the field 40% from the 3pt. area and 76% from the foul line.

Kidd-like numbers except the scoring and shooting from the floor ;D

If he continues to play at this level, he might be the next player to average a triple-double for a series since Kidd. I'm not quite sure if LeBron has achieved this before.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dark_seid
04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
What a lousy way to start the week. I stayed up till 4:30AM to watch the C's lose in double OT. >:(

They had several chances to the Bulls away in the first OT, but they just couldn't close the deal. Gotta hand it to the Bulls, though, for hitting big shots in the last 2 minutes of the first OT.

Kainis, dapat 4-0 sweep ito eh!

pwede na rin consolation prize that it was a great game? both teams wanted it.

pio_valenz
04-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Classic game nga talaga, parang two fighters just slugging it out. Maganda din yung matchup ni Rondo vs. Rose. But I feel totally deflated because the Celts should have been heading home up 3-1. Instead it's 2-all and that double OT will certainly affect their stamina more than the Bulls. I'm still calling it 4-2 for the Celts (my original prediction was 4-1 even after the Game 1 loss), but it'll mean a tired and banged-up Celtic team that'll be playing in the second round. I just hope Orlando-Phillie goes the distance so that Boston can get more rest.

pio_valenz
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
The Truth stepped up bigtime today.

dark_seid
04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
weird officiating.

ray allen fouls out on a majority of ticky tack fouls. contrast this to perkins who was just totally manhandling anybody in his vicinity all game long. and he finished the game without a single foul.

weird.

pio_valenz
05-02-2009, 11:40 AM
This Bill Simmons column more or less mirrors what I felt yesterday (especially the part about Tony Allen entering the game). Only instead of walking my dog, I wheeled my daughter around the mall for hours.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090501&sportCat=nba

Dark Knight
05-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Jesus Boston, whats happening?

Bruticus
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Boston advances to the next rd.

aircanda
05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
ang nakakatakot sa Boston.. is right now.. after that 7 game series.. They are a better team once again..

dark_seid
05-03-2009, 02:12 PM
ang nakakatakot sa Boston.. is right now.. after that 7 game series.. They are a better team once again..

better than when they started the playoffs?
i would say that finally knowing kevin is not available anymore let them hunker down with whomever they have available on the roster. this helped them focus on the task at hand with the available resources.

Bruticus
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Blessing in disguise rin yung absence ni KG because it will give the others a chance to step up. Pero, it would still be nice to see a healthy KG in action.

yungha
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
i was starting to accept that KG's out for the season and still hoping for a return trip to the finals. then leon powe blew out his knee and that really knocked the wind out of my sails. in game 6 of the chicago series, i didn't know whether to laugh or cry when brian scalabrine was left holding the fort against miller and noah. pero kaya pa yan. go celts!

i don't remember who the phoenix suns got in exchange for rondo but whoever it was, they got screwed front, back and sideways on that deal. you don't find 6'1 players who can average a triple double in the playoffs every day.

LION
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
The absence of KG and Leon Powe will definitely be felt by the Celtics. Good thing that Big Baby, Kendrick Perkins and Eddie House have stepped up and contributed big numbers for Boston proving to eveyone that they have what it takes to keep Boston at the top for years to come.

Paul Pierce used to be me favorite Celtic after the Larry Bird but now I have shifted my attention to Rajon Rondo. This 6'1 PG is really awesome. You will probably need a 6'5 quick guard to stop him. He has the instincts of Jason Kidd and Steve Nash but brings a lot more to the table with his wide array of offensive moves.

Eddie House's almost unbelievable accuracy from the 3pt. range gives the Celtics a fearsome and potent weapon. In game 2 against the Magic, Paul Pierce was benched by Doc Rivers for getting into early foul trouble but it turned out that he wasn't needed in the game because Eddie House was there to unleash his 3pt bombs with pinpoint accuracy to take the fight out of Orlando.

Despite the injuries to KG and Leon, I am still optimistic about the chances of Boston in the playoffs.

After this season, there won't just be a Big 3 for Boston. Make that the Big 8, i.e., KG, Pierce, Allen, Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Davis and House.

MonL
05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
i don't remember who the phoenix suns got in exchange for rondo but whoever it was, they got screwed front, back and sideways on that deal. you don't find 6'1 players who can average a triple double in the playoffs every day.

Talk about lightning striking twice.

The Celts got the late Dennis Johnson from the Suns for 6'11" backup center Rick Robey in 1984.

All DJ did was to help the Celts win Banner 15 that year, and 16 in '86.

There was one word that described the Sun's trade decision then: snookered. ;D

mighty_lion
05-08-2009, 08:42 AM

If im not mistaken it was another Sarver deal of Phoenix pick for a player named cash. ;D

They say Griffin, the guy in-charge of drafting players was very high on Rondo. Griffin convinced Sarver and D'Antoni about Rondo and Sarver concurred. D'Antoni lateron expressed he doesnt like the pick and Rondo will just sit in the bench since he has no spot for a PG who cant shoot long jumpers. Sarver then traded Rondo to Boston for cash and salary dump of Brian Grantts contract.

dark_seid
05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
After this season, there won't just be a Big 3 for Boston. Make that the Big 8, i.e., KG, Pierce, Allen, Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Davis and House.

problem with salaries and salary cap will affect next year's version. big 3 eats up a lot of the cap. then rondo has to be extended. this might leave powe and davis a bit wanting.

pio_valenz
05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Either Powe or Big Baby will have to go. That's just the economics of it, unless one of them will be willing to accept a deal that's lower than his real market value. If ever, I'd rather keep Big Baby.

aircanda
05-09-2009, 12:28 PM

better than when they started the playoffs?
i would say that finally knowing kevin is not available anymore let them hunker down with whomever they have available on the roster. this helped them focus on the task at hand with the available resources.

Parang ganito sir.. what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger... kinda what happened to them last year with the hawks and cavs. I have this feeling that if they get over the magic, their east finals opponent should be worried.

stonecold316
05-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Howard powers Magic to 117-94 win over Boston
05/09/2009 | 10:25 AM
ORLANDO, Florida — Dwight Howard had 17 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks to lift the Orlando Magic to a 117-96 victory over the Boston Celtics and a 2-1 series lead in the NBA playoffs on Friday.

Rashard Lewis had 28 points, and Hedo Turkoglu scored 24 for Orlando, which played without starting point guard Rafer Alston. He was suspended by the NBA for slapping Eddie House in the back of the head on Wednesday.

Paul Pierce broke out of his series slump to score 27 points, and Rajon Rondo added 15 for the defending champion Celtics, who trimmed a 20-point deficit to seven before the Magic regained control.

The Magic took a 20-point lead early in the third quarter before Howard picked up his fourth foul, and the Celtics ended the period on a 12-2 run.

The Celtics trimmed the deficit to seven in the fourth, and just when it appeared they would complete the comeback, center Kendrick Perkins was called for a flagrant one foul with 10:15 remaining for elbowing Mickael Pietrus in the chin.

Pietrus made the free throws, and the Magic built another 20-point lead that put the game out of reach, with Celtics coach Doc Rivers pulling his starters with about four minutes to play.

Game 4 in this Eastern Conference semifinal is on Sunday in Orlando. - AP

yungha
05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
last year i thought that rondo was just a guy thrust into a very fortunate position, a player who looked good playing alongside great players, players who can mask his deficiencies and make up for his mistakes. i've no doubt now that he's a future all-star. he ran out of steam in the end but if you look at his body of work he fell just 3 assists and 4 rebounds shy of averaging a triple double for the ENTIRE PLAYOFFS! looking forward to another good year from him next year, when hopefully a healthy celts team will try to win the title back. hope he doesn't slacken after he gets his big contract.

pio_valenz
05-18-2009, 05:47 PM
The Celts just ran out of gas...and luck. It had to catch up with them sooner or later. They were playing on borrowed time all throughout the playoffs after losing KG and Powe.

Next season will be interesting. Glenn Davis will be an unrestricted free agent. Because he was a second-round pick, Big Baby had a pretty small rookie contract. That means signing him for his new market value will almost certainly result in letting another unrestricted free agent - Powe - walk, unless he agrees to a lower contract.

A healthy Big Three together with a vastly improved Next Big Three - Rondo, Big Baby, and Perkins - plus one major offseason big man acquisition could position the Celts for another serious title run. And I may be in the minority when I say this, but Ainge should seriously consider re-signing Marbury.

Dark Knight
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
To quote Coach Doc Rivers in one of his post game interviews, "we are not defending anything, we are trying to win another one". And they failed. Doc was right. Their 17th title is theirs and no one can take it away from them, not even the new NBA champions.

The impact of the loss of Garnett is too much for the Celtics to handle. Add the losses of Posey, Cassell and Brown. Plus the injured Leon Powe. Stephon is great and i agree with Pio that Boston should re assign him but he will be having limited playing time behind Rondo, just like this season.

Boston is an old team. The "instant" championship team Danny Ainge created last year was exposed this season. What they need is a young draftee that will be their franchise player for the coming NBA seasons ala Larry Bird or a Derrick Rose. And a formidable center ala Howard, (no offense to Perkins}.

So they lost but they are still the record holders. And the tradition continues.

PS : Its better to lose to Orlando or Cleveland than hand the Lakers their revenge. ;D

Bruticus
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
The Celtics did everything they could to bring home title no. 18, but alas injuries to KG and L.P. simply hampered their bid. Definitely Doc will have to start looking for young blood, since the big 3 aren't getting any younger. As for next season, I can still see Beantown returning to the playoffs.

yungha
05-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Next season will be interesting. Glenn Davis will be an unrestricted free agent. Because he was a second-round pick, Big Baby had a pretty small rookie contract. That means signing him for his new market value will almost certainly result in letting another unrestricted free agent - Powe - walk, unless he agrees to a lower contract.

A healthy Big Three together with a vastly improved Next Big Three - Rondo, Big Baby, and Perkins - plus one major offseason big man acquisition could position the Celts for another serious title run. And I may be in the minority when I say this, but Ainge should seriously consider re-signing Marbury.

think we can get rasheed wallace? maybe antonio mcdyess? add one more good forward and ok na yung frontline barring injuries. ideally we'd upgrade the starting center position but given the payroll situation, perkins is probably the best available option. any upgrade will probably vault boston into luxury tax territory.

i think we also need another swingman, preferably an athlete who can run with rondo, defend and provide energy and offense off the bench. the player i have in mind is dahntay jones of denver.

pio_valenz
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
^Rumors have Sheed going to the Spurs. Besides, I'd rather have McDyess, who you can count on to play hard every night. With Sheed, you never know what you're gonna get. But I agree we need a swingman off the bench. That's what James Posey brought to the team last year. We never really did have a solid sub at the 3 spot this season.

bchoter
05-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Yes Marbury should be re-signed. It must have been hard for a player who's used to playing and getting all the attention to suddenly come off the bench and is expected to play a specific role. That must amount to something.

dark_seid
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
think we can get rasheed wallace? maybe antonio mcdyess? add one more good forward and ok na yung frontline barring injuries. ideally we'd upgrade the starting center position but given the payroll situation, perkins is probably the best available option. any upgrade will probably vault boston into luxury tax territory.

i think we also need another swingman, preferably an athlete who can run with rondo, defend and provide energy and offense off the bench. the player i have in mind is dahntay jones of denver.

actually, boston has been in luxury tax territory since acquiring garnett. together with ray ray and pierce, they eat up $60M.
so rondo will play out his rookie scale pay while perk will be the best center for the mid-level pay.
if some sort of multi-week injury happens again next year, celts will be hard-pressed just like this year.

but then again, the 17th banner was raised because of danny's gamble. and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. any contradictions to this can refer to the other 29 losing teams, especially the mavericks due to 2006.

yungha
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Owner: Garnett guarantees '10 & '11 titles

Kevin Garnett's recovery from right knee surgery apparently is going well. Garnett expressed optimism in a recent conversation with team owner Wyc Grousbeck, who spoke yesterday at a corporate sponsorship event at the Boston Harbor Hotel. "I talked to [Garnett] and he guaranteed the championship in 2010 and in 2011," Grousbeck said. "He was as fired up as he's ever been."

Boston Globe

stonecold316
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Seryoso talaga si Garnet. If he and all his teammates are all healthy, expect the Celtics to figure again in the Finals.

dark_seid
06-12-2009, 09:57 PM
for next year?
they really need some new blood because there's no way they are going to contend with lebron in a 7-game series.
aside from pierce, there's no one on their current roster that will provide some sort of defensive match-up for that runaway freight train.
and with the salary structure they have, there's not a lot of wiggle room unless ray ray gets moved.

yungha
07-03-2009, 02:08 PM
danny ainge has reportedly initiated negotiations to acquire sheed, mcdyess and tyronn lue. let's go danny boy, you can do it!

stonecold316
07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
danny ainge has reportedly initiated negotiations to acquire sheed, mcdyess and tyronn lue. let's go danny boy, you can do it!

Ano na update sa report na ito?

yungha
07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
^hanep, no less than the team owner, team president and the Big 3 travelled to Detroit for the pitch. if that doesn't indicate how much they want him i don't know what does

Chris Mannix > INSIDE THE NBA

Wallace receptive to Celtics' pitch
It is unclear how many years Boston offered Rasheed Wallace, who will be 35 at the start of next season.
Fernando Medina/NBAE via Getty Images

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics made their pitch to Rasheed Wallace on Thursday. And Wallace was receptive.

A contingent from the Celtics organization -- including owner Wyc Grousbeck, President Danny Ainge, head coach Doc Rivers and All-Stars Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen -- descended on Wallace's suburban Michigan home on Thursday for a three-hour meeting with the free-agent forward.

"Solid, thorough, cogent and very impressive," Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland, told SI.com about Boston's recruiting trip. "[They] definitely gave Rasheed and his wife something to think about."

During the course of the meeting the Celtics offered Wallace a contract using their entire mid-level exception. It is unclear how many years Boston offered Wallace, who will be 35 at the start of next season.

Multiple league executives believe Wallace is deciding between Boston and San Antonio. Both the Celtics and Spurs can offer Wallace the full mid-level exception ($5.6 million). With Ron Artest agreeing to terms with the Lakers and Trevor Ariza agreeing to a deal with Houston on Thursday, league sources expect Cleveland to make a late push for Wallace's services. Orlando, should they choose not to re-sign restricted free agent Marcin Gortat, is also a possibility.

However, Boston and San Antonio stand as the strongest candidates. The Celtics can offer Wallace a chance to stay in the Eastern Conference as well as the opportunity to play with Garnett, who is a close friend. San Antonio, which traded forwards Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas last month in the deal for Richard Jefferson, can offer Wallace a starters role. Boston's interest in Wallace is believed to be as a backup.

Wallace has given no indication as to when he will make a decision.

dark_seid
07-03-2009, 10:26 PM
it's worrying that celts are giving sheed that much love.
worrying because sheed can go into brain freeze mode on defense at a crucial part of a game.

will kg lay into him like what he did to big baby?
will sheed respect that?
or will he tune out and cause problems.

Mateen Cleaves
07-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Considering the changes made to date, Rasheed again makes the Celtics the favorites in the Eastern Conference. IMO, he will make a bigger impact for the C's than Shaq for Cleveland, or Carter for Orlando. He is best and most comfortable when he doesn't have to be the focal point of the team. I think that he is coming into a situation very similar to the 2004 Pistons when we had Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups as leaders, plus veteran players that he trusted in Rip, Prince, and Lindsey Hunter. Last year, he could not handle being asked to carry a bigger leadership role.

In Boston, Pierce and Garnett are the established leaders on the court and in the locker room. Plus Ray Allen. Chances are that he is there to back-up, not replace, Perkins. All he needs to do is to play. And he knows that with this team, they will play the right way. If they can all stay healthy, this will again be the best DEFENSIVE team in the league (assuming that Thibodeau stays).

The thing to remember with Rasheed is that in both Portland and Detroit -- everybody in the organization loved him. He was a great teammate, and a low-profile but extremely generous and involved member of the community. Yes, he has flaws. Nobody, let alone the Celtics, is blind to them. But in this specific situation with the Celtics, I think that there are many more positives than negatives.

pio_valenz
07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Agree this is a great free agent pick-up for the C's. But they still need that back-up small forward who can score and defend because Pierce clearly needs to play less minutes next season. In the playoffs he was asked to do too much on both ends. If their courtship of Grant Hill bears fruit, then IMHO that would really make them the favorites. As things stand right now, I'd give the slight edge to Cleveland.

coreytaylor
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Glen Davis: On the Way Out of Boston?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-lenavisntheayutofost&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Update: With the signing of Rasheed Wallace(notes) to a two-year contract, Davis could now be on his way to San Antonio now, Comcast SportsNet reports.

dark_seid
07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
agree on the small forward ... someone needs to help pierce check lebron for a 7 game series when celts meet up with cavs in playoffs.
sheed now probably slots into the 3rd big men role. and his game allows kg to at least turn it a notch down or two in the regular season to rest those knees.

pio_valenz
10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Good opening-day win for the Celts earlier. The addition of Sheed and Marquis Daniels has really shored up their bench. Even Shelden Williams I like. In contrast, when LeBron and Shaq took a breather at the start of the second quarter, the Cav's lead all but evaporated. Boston's reserves were just better than Cleveland's.

Jeep
10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
while i am happy that the c's won their first game of the season, i can't help but wonder if it was because they are back in shape and raring to go, or if it was the cavs finding it hard to shake off their old habit of depending too much on lebron.

but hey, i'll take any W by the c's any old day. :)

MonL
10-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Good opening-day win for the Celts earlier. The addition of Sheed and Marquis Daniels has really shored up their bench. Even Shelden Williams I like. In contrast, when LeBron and Shaq took a breather at the start of the second quarter, the Cav's lead all but evaporated. Boston's reserves were just better than Cleveland's.

Exactly 'Sheed's retort. :)

pio_valenz
10-29-2009, 10:12 AM
The Celts are now 2-0 after a superb defensive effort against Charlotte, winning 92-59. Meanwhile, in Toronto...

pepman
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
The Celts are now 2-0 after a superb defensive effort against Charlotte, winning 92-59. Meanwhile, in Toronto...

Plus 1 with a victory yesterday over Chicago.

Bruticus
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
That's 4 in a row now after beating the Bulls and Hornets.

coreytaylor
11-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Rajon Rondo tells Chris Paul, “I’ve got a ring, and you’re never gonna win one.”

-now that's nasty! ;D

Here's the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ap_GG3SkP_MXnu1fC.BVkAe8vLYF?slug=aw-paulhornets110309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

pio_valenz
11-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Win #5 for the C's, a road win against the 76ers, 105-74. This game further underscored Boston's deep bench this season. Ray Allen scored only 5 points and Kevin Garnett only 3, but the Celts still clobbered the Sixers by 31 on the road. Good games from Rasheed Wallace, Shelden Williams and Eddie House off the bench.

Jeep
11-04-2009, 01:29 PM
any news on the c's re-signing rajon rondo? i thought i heard tom heinsohn say that rajon's contract expires right about now, and if he isn't re-signed he becomes a restricted free agent for the rest of the season. he could then entertain offers from other clubs. hope doc rivers recognizes rajon's talent at the point enough to give him a new contract, hopefully for three years.

rajon's feel and vision of the court is unbelievable. the way he locates his men outside or in the blocks is just amazing. and he can create for himself if the others are covered. his perimeter range may not be too reliable, but he can slash in with such quickness and efficiency. chalk up the two points for him when he does, and he can do so in bunches.

Mel
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I think he has been resigned for five more years. $ 55 M.

Jeep
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I think he has been resigned for five more years. $ 55 M.

thanks, mel. that's good to know. :)

stonecold316
11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Rajon Rondo tells Chris Paul, “I’ve got a ring, and you’re never gonna win one.”

-now that's nasty! ;D

Here's the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ap_GG3SkP_MXnu1fC.BVkAe8vLYF?slug=aw-paulhornets110309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And unlike Paul, Rondo doen't have an Olympic gold medal in basketball.
:D :D :D

pio_valenz
12-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Good win on the road earlier against Orlando. This coupled with LA's loss to the Cavs means the C's have tied the Lakers again for the best record in the NBA. Boston is now 13-1 on the road this season.

joelex
12-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Unless injuries come in the way, a Boston-LA finals looms as the most likely scenario once again, and this time we should be seeing a more balanced and competitive series unlike the 2008 version. Hopefully this would be an epic series to close out a decade that could not come up with a historic championship series that would rival previous ones. May we see seven physical, down-the-wire games this June that would be remembered as one of the best!

coreytaylor
12-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Unless injuries come in the way, a Boston-LA finals looms as the most likely scenario once again, and this time we should be seeing a more balanced and competitive series unlike the 2008 version. Hopefully this would be an epic series to close out a decade that could not come up with a historic championship series that would rival previous ones. May we see seven physical, down-the-wire games this June that would be remembered as one of the best!

Pierce is having a serious knee infection and KG landed on his back in their latest game while attempting to block a shot. KG didn't return in the game (hope it's not serious). If both of them will be healthy all the way until the Playoffs, then a Boston-LA finals duel will indeed be a likely scenario.

LION
12-27-2009, 07:28 PM

-now that's nasty! ;D

And unlike Paul, Rondo doen't have an Olympic gold medal in basketball.
:D :D :D

Unfortunately for Chris Paul, the NBA champions are considered the word champions. Ask Charles Barkley, John Stockton and Karl Malone. :)

Jeep
12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
too bad the celts lost in a nailbiting 90~92 game to the clippers. tied at 90 with a little more than a second to go, rajon goes to the line after a clipper foul. rajon could've won it from there, but FTs are his waterloo -- strange for a starting PG. kaman gets the rebound and calls timeout with a second to go.

on the inbound, barron davis buries a jumper and wins the game. :( unbelievable shot by davis, even as i was so sure the game would go into OT.

but this end-game buzzerbeater just reinforces what i've been seeing for the longest time now and what is now the greatest truism in this game -- a second is an eternity.

LION
01-07-2010, 02:06 PM
What a win by the Celtics against the Heat in overtime, 112- 106. ;D

The Celtics tied the game with only 0.6 of a seconds left courtesy of a Pierce to Rondo alleyoop catch and shoot.

With 5.5 seconds left in regulation and the scored tied at 99 -all, Wade stole the ball from Allen and scored on a dunk to give Miami a 2 point lead with only 0.6 seconds left.

In overtime, Boston outscored Miami to steal the victory, leaving thousands of Heat fans in a state of shock. ;D

yungha
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
i'm looking at the live score of cleveland at boston and celts are ahead 18-12. rondo has 10 pts and 5 assists. pwede ba yun eh 18pts lang ang total ng boston?

malayo na ang cleveland for boston to try to take the #1 seed. the best they can do is overtake orlando and atlanta for #2 which is doable. marquis daniels was injured for much of the 1st half, kg was limping plus there were a host of other injuries. pierce will be back after a few games and we're looking at a complete boston team for the 2nd half of the regular season. they're not as athletic as the cavs, hawks and magic but they have experience. hopefully they gel in time and become killers in the playoffs. but we need kg to become the monster he was 2 yrs ago. medyo nagli-limp pa.

Mel
02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Try watching here: http://www.tnt.tv/sports/nba/overtime10_live/?type2

pio_valenz
02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
The season's officially hit rock bottom. Boston just lost to the Nets. :'(

Mateen Cleaves
02-28-2010, 10:15 AM
^at home. ;D

AgentX
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
it seems that age is defying them :D

diego
02-28-2010, 11:41 PM
and injuries! ;D

LION
03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
^ Kakawalang ganang panoorin ang Boston ngayon.

'Sheed Wallace should not have been taken in by Boston. Walang ginawa kundi tumira ng tres, tamad mag rebound at dumepensa.

Jeep
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
^dami pang turnover ni wallace. >:( yung tanda na niyang yun, parang natataranta pag biglang napasahan ng bola.

i'm wishing on a star here, but is there some way the c's can get back james posey, and eddie house? for a team that takes pride in D, there's not a lot of D going on in their games these days.

AgentX
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
they must have traded their "big 3", when they were still in prime :o

pablohoney
03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
The season's officially hit rock bottom. Boston just lost to the Nets. :'(

Sad but true. :'(

Rivers should trust his bench more, IMO.
Kinukulang sila sa huli eh.

Kainis. But still, go Celtics! ;D

pio_valenz
03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah, Sheed has proven to be a disappointment. He's really just mailing it in and going through the motions. Also, I think the players may already be tuning out Doc Rivers. And KG just doesn't have the hops anymore.

AgentX
03-02-2010, 01:28 AM
meron naman contribution si Wallace, TECHNICAL FOULS! ;D

pablohoney
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Bakit kase nila hindi kinuha si Marcus Camby when they had the chance?

Or is it another big man ang nasa isip ko? ???

I miss Eddie House's clutch baskets. :'(

tigerman
03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
^ :re Camby - You want another oldie on the Celtics bench? ;D

Memphis just routed Boston @ the latter's very own homecourt.

Mel
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM
They recently acquired Michael Finley.

Now wearing the number 40. LOL.

pablohoney
03-11-2010, 12:26 PM
^ :re Camby - You want another oldie on the Celtics bench? ;D

Memphis just routed Boston @ the latter's very own homecourt.

Boston seems to play better on the road. ;D ;D

Camby or Ratcliffe.. doesn't really matter. Maybe they should get Antoine Walker back from Latin America. ;D

coreytaylor
03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Boston seems to play better on the road. ;D ;D

Like Boston, Memphis play better too on the road (than in their homecourt) after the All-Star break. ;D

Dark Knight
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Boston should acquire potential free agents Joe Jackson and Carlos Boozer.

Pakawalan na ang mga lolo. ;D

mighty_lion
04-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Boston does not have the salary cap flexibility to sign quality free agents this summer.

LION
04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are ok. Garnett and Sheed Wallace should be traded while they still have considerable trade value but this might be close to impossible because of their high salaries.

Bruticus
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Boston just went up 3-0 over the Heat today.

Jeep
04-24-2010, 11:47 AM
i bow before paul pierce's image and beat my breast with the mantra: "i'm not worthy!!!" ;D

but really, that buzzer beater to win game 3 was, wow. what else can i say? :D

pio_valenz
04-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I scared the bejeezus out of my daughter this morning after I filled the house with a loud "Yeahhhh!!!" in reaction to the Truth's buzzer-beater.

Miami had a mental lapse. They had a foul to give but opted to watch the Celts run an iso for Pierce to perfection.

pablohoney
04-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Was waiting for the Heat to foul din earlier. Buti na lang hindi. ;D

Nagulat din ang bunso ko nang nagsisisigaw ako pagkashoot ni Pierce. ;D

-----
They should get a back-up for Perk. Or replace Perk.
----
Parang masyadong babad ang first five. Or dahil walang pampalit?
I almost forgot about Finley and Robinson. ;D

tigerman
04-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Boston does not have the salary cap flexibility to sign quality free agents this summer.

If I'm not mistaken, Ray Allen's contract will expire this summer.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dark_seid
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM
^ and they are still way over the cap because of kg (18.8M) and pierce's (21.5M) contracts

for their roster for next season, perk (4.4M) and rondo (9M) presents the best bang for the buck. these two's recent play are also acknowledged by team usa, as they were invited to join the basketball pool.

yungha
04-28-2010, 09:35 AM
celts a few mins away from disposing the heat, 4-1, in a series most cnnsi writers voted as "best chance for a first round upset." o sinong upset ngayon.

pio_valenz
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Nakakatawa si Tommy Heinsohn on TV. I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. With the Celtics up 91-83 with the ball and 2 minutes left, he was practically screaming, "Take it strong to the hoop! They're in penalty! Don't settle for jump shots!"

Then Ray Allen casually buries a three-pointer. Tahimik si mokong, then his partner said, "Well that was a jump shot." Then they both laughed. :D

The_Big_Cat
04-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Nakakatawa si Tommy Heinsohn on TV. I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. With the Celtics up 91-83 with the ball and 2 minutes left, he was practically screaming, "Take it strong to the hoop! They're in penalty! Don't settle for jump shots!"

Then Ray Allen casually buries a three-pointer. Tahimik si mokong, then his partner said, "Well that was a jump shot." Then they both laughed. :D

Mas nakakatawa yung comment ni Heinson when Big Baby was called for an illegal pick early in the 4th. "Give me a break!". Natahimik na lang yung partner niya . ;D

Looking forward to the Boston-Cleveland matchup in the next round.

MonL
04-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Mas nakakatawa yung comment ni Heinson when Big Baby was called for an illegal pick early in the 4th. "Give me a break!". Natahimik na lang yung partner niya . ;D

Looking forward to the Boston-Cleveland matchup in the next round.

He used to whine a lot be very vocal when he was Celtics coach in the Havlicek-Cowens-White era. Old habits die hard. :)

pio_valenz
04-28-2010, 11:39 AM
celts a few mins away from disposing the heat, 4-1, in a series most cnnsi writers voted as "best chance for a first round upset." o sinong upset ngayon.

Even Celtics diehard Bill Simmons of espn.com predicted the Heat would win this series. For once, I'm glad he was wrong. It's easy to understand why so many people thought the Heat would be a handful. Going into the playoffs, they were the hottest team winning 12 of their last 13, while the Celtics limped home by going 3-7.

I'm optimistic about the C's chances against the Cavs. They were 2-2 in the regular season against the Cavs, and if Ray Allen and the Truth can continue to shoot well, it's gonna be anybody's series.

MonL
04-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Celts really haven't made full use of the reserves. The starting unit and 6th man logged heavy minutes in closing out the Heat. They can't wear themselves out like that against the deep Cavs.

But I'm still hopeful they can make it all the way.

pablohoney
05-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Celts really haven't made full use of the reserves. The starting unit and 6th man logged heavy minutes in closing out the Heat. They can't wear themselves out like that against the deep Cavs.

But I'm still hopeful they can make it all the way.

Agree. Doc Rivers should put more trust in his bench players.

pio_valenz
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
This just in:

An impostor posing as Rasheed Wallace showed up today in the Celtics' game against Cleveland. The Celtics immediately knew he was an impostor because he buried his first shot of the night, a three-pointer, something the real Wallace would never do. The Celtics' suspicions were confirmed after this guy in a Wallace uniform finished the first half with 13 points and a total of 17 for the game. On 7 of 8 shooting!

"No way was that the real Rasheed," Celtics captain Paul Pierce was quoted as saying. "But he's welcome to stay." This sudden scoring outburst helped the Celtics beat the Cavs 104-86 to tie their playoff duel a 1 win apiece.

There are reports that Celtics head honcho Danny Ainge will sign up the impostor for the rest of the playoffs. Hopefully this materializes.

The_Big_Cat
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
The Celts should have won game 1. But thanks to that dunk of Mo Williams in the late stages of the 3rd, it helped energized his offense and the rest of the Cavs.

Ray Allen was terrific and Rajon Rondo outplayed the Cavs' guards in game 2.

pablohoney
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
'Sheed The Impostor. ;D ;D

I agree Celts should have won Game 1 as well.
Anyway series is now tied (still should've been 2-0 for the Celts ::) ).

Rajon Rondo should have broken Bob Cousy's record. Anyway mauulit pa naman niya ito I'm sure.
Celts almost collapsed. Buti na lang hindi. Kainis mga tawag kanina. Jumpin' Jack si James. ;D

LION
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Boston on the way to a 3-2 record, one win away from eliminating Lebron James and the Cavs. ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
^Rondo ignited the Celts in the 3rd Qtr after having a scorless 1st half. Big Baby Davis scored 12 pts in the 4th to put away the Cavs for good.

LION
05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Rondo's a certified NBA superstar now. Even Lebron, all 6'8 of him, could not stop this future all-time Celtic great.

Jeep
05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
rajon is really great. even my son says it should be THE BIG 4 now! ;)

OTOH, lemme just say this. i like lebron, extremely talented and has a good work and play ethic (well-grounded despite his successes). but is there something about his cavs that just ups and dies when they get deeper into the post-season? for all his kingly attributes, THE TITLE is the one thing that the king does not have, and his claims to the kingdom are all for naught if the larry o'brien trophy does not make its way to cleveland.

and, though i do genuinely like lebron as an athlete, it's still the celtics for me. and unfortunately for him and the cavs, it is this environment, when the stakes of the game are higher, in which my favorite celts thrive.

now i'm not writing the cavs off just yet in this series. all i'm saying is this type of environment, when push comes to shove, is what the celtics like. the cavs have yet to show that they do as well.

yungha
05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
mukhang mawawala na naman ako sa opisina sa friday morning.

MonL
05-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Rondo's a certified NBA superstar now. Even Lebron, all 6'8 of him, could not stop this future all-time Celtic great.

rajon is really great. even my son says it should be THE BIG 4 now! ;)

It took a while for him to come to that, along with the revival of the luck of the Irish. SI's Ian Thomsen thinks so too, and tells how Rajon did it.

Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/05/07/countdown.rajon.rondo/index.html

maroonmartian
05-13-2010, 07:05 PM
^ Rajon Rondo is the next Bob Cousy ;D Oh well, get prepared for the Orlando Magics next. Solid ang team core eh unlike Cleveland na Lebron lang PA RIN.

pablohoney
05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Ragin' Rondo. ;D

yungha
05-14-2010, 10:53 AM
let's see if lebron will shake hands with the celts

coreytaylor
05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Lebron congratulating the C's bench :D

Boston eliminates the Cavs, 94-85. C's advance to the Eastern Conference Finals!

yungha
05-14-2010, 01:36 PM
"After watching James finish with 35 points (12 of 24) with 7 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks -- on a night when he was consciously working his teammates into the game -- is to realize just how unlikely it will be for the Celtics to beat him four times in this series."

-- Ian Thomsen, SI.com, after Game 1

The_Big_Cat
05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Lebron was one turnover shy of a quadruple double performance.

If there was a Series MVP, it should be given to Rajon Rondo. He led the Celts in scoring and assists this series.

MonL
05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
"After watching James finish with 35 points (12 of 24) with 7 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks -- on a night when he was consciously working his teammates into the game -- is to realize just how unlikely it will be for the Celtics to beat him four times in this series."

-- Ian Thomsen, SI.com, after Game 1

Celts didn't need to beat him. All they did was let him have his superstar numbers and make the rest of the Cavs look miserable by depending too much on him. Mo Williams was a major culprit, totally disappearing in the 2nd half. Antawn Jamison was a total disappointment. Celts went wild in steals, much of them taken from James. Ray Allen was cold, but his point falloff was filled up by Tony Allen and the impostor pio_valenz exposed. :D Pierce lit it up in time, but kudos to Rondo for making it happen.

Banner 18 coming up this year? ;D

mighty_lion
05-14-2010, 05:17 PM
ESPN Analyst prediction.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Rerisen/Failpicks.jpg

Stern must be banging his head now that his dream Bron-Kobe finals is out of reach.

A-boy97
05-14-2010, 06:33 PM
^Not so much. There is still a big chance we will have the greatest basketball rivalry for the finals. Go Celtics! Celtics Hurrah! ;D

I still remember Charles Barkley saying no way in hell would the Celts defeat the Cavs. The Cavs are too deep and JJ Hickson would spell the difference in the forward position.

I guess Charles and the rest of the so called experts forgot two important things. Firstly, Mike Brown is not an elite coach. He barely used JJ Hickson and he was very slow in adjusting with the Celtics offense and defense. Secondly, the Celts(especially KG) are hungry and are champions. It's weird how people always forget the saying of Houston coach, Rudy T. "Never underestimate the heart of a champion!"

Last year, the Celts almost defeated Orlando without KG. This should be a good one. Hope the Celtics can win it all! Go for banner #18! ;D

pio_valenz
05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Here's Bill Simmons' take on LeBron as a player. I agree with much of his analysis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100514&sportCat=nba

Here's the paragraph that really stood out for me:

Because the other part feels as if we learned something substantial about LeBron James this spring. I always thought his ceiling looked like this: Jordan's DNA crossed with Magic's DNA crossed with Bo Jackson. Nope. Take the Jordan DNA out. Have to. Jordan was a ruthless mother******. Jordan was a killer. Jordan didn't care if his teammates despised him. Jordan never, ever, not in a million years, would have allowed his team to quit in the final two minutes of Thursday night's game the way LeBron did. His teammates feared him, loathed him, revered him and played accordingly. Bird had that same quality. In the second half of his career, so did Magic. Winning meant so much to those guys that their teammates almost didn't have a choice; they had to follow suit. Or else.

I've always thought LeBron is too chummy with his teammates, and they all want to be his friend. If you're going to win championships, at some point, you have to be able to shout at them and call them out in public. Kailangan maging kupal ka din eh. Lebron hasn't shown that quality.

Not that I'm complaining, though. ;D

pablohoney
05-15-2010, 11:08 AM
He barely used JJ Hickson and he was very slow in adjusting with the Celtics offense and defense.

My thoughts exactly. Nakalimutan niya si Hickson; it could have been the difference.

Jeep
05-16-2010, 06:44 PM
tulog na ako, mga katoto. maaga ang gising e. boston @ orlando at 3 AM tomorrow. ;D

gee, this really brings back memories of the celtics-lakers finals back in the 80s, when the games would be held at around that same time. those booster antennas that picked up the FEN broadcasts from clark and/or subic were really useful ;D. the broadcasts were much clearer late at night til the dawn, so it was really great watching bird, parrish, and mchale make short shrift of the opposition. gising na gising talaga ako niyan. :)

pio_valenz
05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I set the wake up function of my bedroom TV to 5:00AM, BTV channel. :)

Hopefully the Celts can take one of the first two games in Orlando.

pablohoney
05-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Haha Sir Jeep, nadeja vu din ako. I too remember waking up and even fixing the darned antenna to get the best reception.

@Sir Pio: 5AM? I thought they would be airing the game at 3AM? I'll be dead drunk by 5AM. >:( :o

jembengzon
05-17-2010, 08:10 AM
I set the wake up function of my bedroom TV to 5:00AM, BTV channel. :)

Hopefully the Celts can take one of the first two games in Orlando.

wish granted, boston 92 orland 88 take game 1 :)

pio_valenz
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
@Sir Pio: 5AM? I thought they would be airing the game at 3AM? I'll be dead drunk by 5AM. >:( :o

Monday being the busy workday it is, I needed to get some rest. So my plan was to just wake up earleir than usual and catch the second half. Wala din, damn wake-up function malfunctioned! >:(

Oh well, I'll just catch the replay later.

Raging Blue
05-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Lebron and the Cavaliers have learned. Dwight Howard and the Magic are learning, "Do not underestimate the heart of a [former] champion." Thanks for the quote coach Rudy Tomjanovich.

I knew it! KG, Truth and company were playing possum during the second half of the 2009-10 NBA season to preserve their strength for the play-offs just like Tim Duncan and the Spurs did during a few years back.

The_Big_Cat
05-17-2010, 03:13 PM
It was exactly halftime when I woke up earlier than usual. ;D And to my surprise the Celts were up by 9 points.

Dwight Howard was having a hard time against Perk. You can see it that Dwight truly relies on his brute strength. The absence of a finesse game (ie. face-up jumper, turnaround jumper) was very obvious for Howard. Perk did a fantastic job of bodying up Howard.

Ray Allen was fantastic for Boston in the 3rd and early 4th.

Just like in their previous series against the Cavs, Boston limited the power forward production of Rashard Lewis. Credit goes to Kevin Garnet as he made life miserable for Lewis. The size of Lewis and Antawn Jamison were no match for KG both offense and defense.

yungha
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
rasheed led UNC to the final four in 1995. he and stackhouse left for the nba after that season and in came the class of vince carter and antawn jamison, who again led UNC to the final four in 97 and 98. sheed eliminated jamison and the cavs in the last round and is now playing carter in the conference finals.

jj redick of orlando and shelden williams of boston were long-time teammates at duke, leading the devils to the final four in 2004. in 2006, redick, williams and the blue devils were heavily favored to win it all but lost to the LSU Tigers of glen "big baby" davis in the sweet 16. shelden and baby are now teammates at boston, playing against redick of orlando for the eastern conference championship.