PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA)

amdgc82
10-11-2008, 06:36 AM
3rd VAAA cagefest draws 10 teams Welcomes AMA in its fold
Saturday, October 11, 2008
The Freeman

The Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament will kick off its third season with another surefire double-header on November 8 at the Cebu Coliseum.

A total of 10 teams divided into two brackets have confirmed their participation in the two-month tilt during the organizational meeting presided over by VAAA founder and legendary M. Lhuillier coach Raul D. Alcoseba yesterday at Yayoy’s Grill and Resto Bar.

Defending champion and eight-time CESAFI titlist University of the Visayas (UV) Lancers are under Bracket A alongside Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras, Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights, AMA Computer Learning Center (ACLC) Titans, and Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC) Cruisers.

Inaugural VAAA title-holder University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars lead the cast in Bracket B along with the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors, Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers, Western Leyte College (WLC) Mustangs of Ormoc City, and the Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings of Dumaguete City.

VAAA commissioner Jose “Boy” Murillo said the tournament follows a single round robin format, with the top two teams advancing into the crossover semifinals. The winners will then clash for the championship in a best-of-three series.

In the season opener at 2:30 pm on November 8, USC will take on SCSIT in the first game, while SWU will tangle with ACT in the main game. The USJ-R Jaguars enjoy a bye as they will compete in the Visayas qualifying of the Collegiate Champions League (CCL) on November 9-12 at the Ormoc Superdome.

Before the hardcourt hostilities, a simple opening ceremony will take place. Alcoseba said he will invite Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) president Manny V. Pangilinan to grace the affair.

The deadline for the submission of lineup is on November 4 in time for the group’s final meeting still at Yayoy’s Grill. – EBV

thadzonline
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM
oops! akala ko October 19 na..hehe, na move pala

sir_hodge
10-11-2008, 09:33 PM
The VAAA, which is on its 3rd this year will start on November 8 at the Cebu Coliseum... Participating CEBU teams will be the University of the Visayas (UV), University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJR), University of San Carlos (USC) Asian College of Technology (ACT), Southwestern University (SWU), Salazar Colleges of Science Institute of Technology (SCSIT)... The other provincial teams joining the league are AMA College (ACLC) and Western Leyte College (WLC) both from ORMOC, Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) of DUMAGUETE and Bohol Institute of Technology - International College (BIT-IC) of BOHOL

sir_hodge
10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
elo... I am from AMA Ormoc... the current Region 6 Champion of the PCCL :D
newly-joined this year and looking forward to growing with you guys in the league...

thadzonline
10-11-2008, 10:36 PM
welcome to the VAAA! I guess all the games will be played in Cebu for this season? to save costs?

sir_hodge
10-11-2008, 11:43 PM
welcome to the VAAA! I guess all the games will be played in Cebu for this season? to save costs?

there are slated games in the Ormoc Superdome...

sir_hodge
10-11-2008, 11:55 PM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4510/vaaa01v1nc1.th.jpg (http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vaaa01v1nc1.jpg)

sir_hodge
10-11-2008, 11:56 PM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8299/vaaa02v2jb2.th.jpg (http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vaaa02v2jb2.jpg)

kuzma1313
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Go COBRAS!

thadzonline
10-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Thats good to know coz that is a way better arena than the Cebu Coliseum ;D

sir_hodge
10-17-2008, 12:30 AM

Thats good to know coz that is a way better arena than the Cebu Coliseum ;D

i've heard... haven't been to the Cebu Coliseum

D_I_A
10-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Kudos to VAAA on its 3rd Season! Hopefully you'll be able to tap Panay, Negros and other Visayan collegiate teams into your fold.

;)

thadzonline
10-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Kudos to VAAA on its 3rd Season! Hopefully you'll be able to tap Panay, Negros and other Visayan collegiate teams into your fold.

;)

Hopefully they will have enough logistics to do that

D_I_A
10-18-2008, 03:33 AM

;)

Hopefully they will have enough logistics to do that

lapit sila kay MVP kaysa kina Pichay at Graham Crackhead Lim ;D

a_ron
10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Coach/Councilor Yayoy Alcoseba is closer or is with the SBP M. Pangilinan,N.Eala definetly they will not go to the pichay n Talong and Grahams group...

amdgc82
10-25-2008, 05:57 AM
CESAFI teams won’t join VAAA caging
Saturday, October 25, 2008
The Freeman

The Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. board members made a consensus during their regular board meeting the other day not to allow any CESAFI-member team to see action in the 3rd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament set to start on November 8 at the USC gym.

CESAFI commissioner Felix O. Tiukinhoy Jr. said that he conflict of schedules is the main reason of their decision. He said they are preparing for various leagues they intend to participate here and abroad.

Tiukinhoy revealed during the voting, six 6 out of nine members voted in favor of barring CESAFI teams from joining the VAAA.

Only one school voted in favor of joining VAAA, one abstained, while two were absent.

Tiukinhoy said the league is in the process of forming the CESAFI Selection, which play in Hong Kong this coming December. The teams are also preparing for the Collegiate Champions League in the last week of November and for the CESAFI Partner’s Cup beginning January 4.

The University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars and the University of Cebu (UC) Webmasters for example, are going to Ormoc City on November 9-12 for the Visayas Zonals of the Champions League, while the University of San Carlos (USC) will go to Cagayan de Oro on November 14-16 for the Mindanao eliminations. - GGM

estor_boot
10-25-2008, 08:42 AM
“The board had finally sat down on it and voted so that the issue with finally be put to rest,” said commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy.

Of the 11 member-schools, only two were not represented. From among the nine in attendance, six voted “No,” two abstained and one wanted to allow the schools to join.

Tiukinhoy, however, refused to name which schools voted which and he also declined to answer whether everyone in attendance had their respective basketball teams.

Not all members of the Cesafi have basketball squads.

http://sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/10/25/sports/cesafi.formalizes.stand.html

im really interested which school those 6 board reps who voted "no" were from. UC definitely is one of them.
is it possible for VAAA to change its format? like making it into a two weeks tournament only and schedule it during semestral breaks.. that way, CeSAFI cannot bar its members from joining by just naming silly excuses. i mean, not all CeSAFI member schools have commitments until the Partners' Cup starts.

thadzonline
10-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I personally do not like the Partners' Cup. To me, it's a pseudo-commercial league, mura ra ug panalay. Luoy ang players while the big corporations find a way to exploit them to get mileage. It would have been fair if they organized a local commercial league just like the CBF before.

sir_hodge
10-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I am just wondering because the VAAA tournament promotes competition among Visayas schools...
Why are they trying to dissociate CESAFI from the VAAA?
Maganda nga yun eh, may labanan ang teams from Leyte, Bohol, Cebu, Negros and Panay islands...

sir_hodge
10-25-2008, 08:47 PM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/10/25/sports/cesafi.formalizes.stand.html

Cesafi formalizes stand

THE constant battle as to whether allow or disallow Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc (Cesafi) to join another league outside Cesafi was finally put to rest Thursday night when the majority of the board members voted “No.”

During the past post-seasons, basketball teams were invited to various competitions and that always ended up in squabble since Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy and did not allow Cesafi teams to join the tournament.

This time around, the board had finally spoken. Reaching a quorum the other day, the group voted against allowing their member-schools from competing in an outside tournament, specifically, the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association, which supposedly falls on the same dates as that of the Partners Cup—a Cesafi-organized event.

Last year, the University of San Carlos, University of San Jose-Recoletos, the Southwestern University and the University of the Visayas joined the VAAA.

“The board had finally sat down on it and voted so that the issue with finally be put to rest,” said commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy.

Of the 11 member-schools, only two were not represented. From among the nine in attendance, six voted “No,” two abstained and one wanted to allow the schools to join.

Tiukinhoy, however, refused to name which schools voted which and he also declined to answer whether everyone in attendance had their respective basketball teams.

Not all members of the Cesafi have basketball squads.

The Cesafi commissioner assured that the teams will be kept busy as they came up with several activities that the schools could join in and one of which is the Partners Cup slated to start on Jan. 4.

Another agenda approved during the board meeting was the plan to send a Cesafi selection to Hong Kong to compete with other teams in a tournament there.

The team, composed of 12 players, will be coached by University of the Visayas’ Elmer “Boy” Cabahug and University of San Jose-Recoletos’ Edito Salacot. The lineup will still be selected in another meeting. (MCB)

amdgc82
10-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Sunday, October 26, 2008
'Nothing we can do'
By Marian C. Baring
Sun.Star Staff Reporter

THE Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation may have handed down a decision to not allow its teams to take part in the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association, its rival league, but if schools officials still decide later on to let its teams compete, then it becomes a different story.

For University of the Visayas head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug, if he is given a choice, he will let his wards play.

“Since the board decided on it, then us coaches do not really have the power to object to that. Of course we have to follow them because there are those with the higher power who decide whether we play or not,” said Cabahug.

Cabahug added that his troops also has a reputation to uphold as they also want to defend their title in the VAAA.

“It is also good to play against another set of team to test the team’s skills against a non-Cesafi team,” Cabaug added.

The board agreed 6 to 1 during its meeting last Thursday that Cesafi-member schools will not be allowed to join the VAAA as the schedules are in conflict with that of the Partners Cup, which is a Cesafi event.

Other than this, Cesafi is also making sure that there won’t be a downtime for the players as they listed several events to keep them busy until next season.

Despite this, Cabahug said that if the UV top honchos will decide to allow them to take part in the VAAA, they will.

“If the UV owners tell us to join, we still will,” said Cabahug. It became an issue last time when the school owners decided to let the team join a competition that Cesafi was totally against and the school was not punished for doing so.

Schedule

The VAAA had already set up a schedule for the upcoming season and UV, Southwestern University, University of San Jose Recoletos and University of San Carlos were already bracketed.

It is not sure how Cesafi’s stand will affect VAAA and calls and text messages to Councilor Yayoy Alcoseba, the founder of VAAA, went unanswered yesterday.

The VAAA also has teams from other universities from neighboring provinces like Asian College of Technology, AMA- Ormoc City. Bohol Institute of Technology, SIT, Western Leyte College, Asian College State of Arts and Trade of Dumaguete City.

Meanwhile, Cabahug lauded Cesafi for allowing its players to compete abroad. Cabahug said that credit should also go to Butch Pichay and Chao Sy, who are associated with the embattled Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang BAsketbol ng Pilipinas, who invited Cesafi to compete in Hong Kong.

A select few will be flying to Hong Kong later this year to compete with other teams from neighboring nations. The team will be coached by Cabahug and USJ-R’s Edito Salacot.

On the other hand, a school official defended Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy, who Alcoseba accused of having pressured the schools heads into barring the Cesafi members from joining the VAAA.

“The school heads are the ones who voted for that decision. And during the board meeting, Tiukinhoy just listened to the proceeding and never uttered a word,” the official, who requested anonymity said.

“It is just unfortunate that Tiukinhoy is the one who relays these information to the media, thus he gets the blame,” the official added

amdgc82
10-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
VAAA founder lashes back at Cesafi
www.sunstar.com.ph

VISAYAS Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) founder and Cebu City Councilor Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba hit back at the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) after the board recently voted, 6-1, not to allow its members to join the fledgling collegiate basketball tournament.

Alcoseba called a press conference at his office at Cebu City Hall yesterday to react on Cesafi’s decision.

However, spared the school owners from his diatribes and instead trained his guns on Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy, who he described as “divisive.”

“The Cesafi board should know that what we do (in VAAA) is a complement to their sports program. It is not for personal or monetary gain but for development of the players as VAAA provides exposure not just to Cesafi member schools but also to other teams outside of Cebu. We did this because we love basketball not like Tiukinhoy who is so divisive and is against to the growth of basketball in Cebu,” Alcoseba said.

Permission

Sun.Star Cebu called Tiukinhoy last night but he declined to comment.

“For the moment, I will try to stay silent with regards to what Yayoy had said. I want to know first what he did say and I will refer it to the school owners if I will be allowed to answer. I need to ask their permission with regards to these matters,” Tiukinhoy said.

During the press conference, Alcoseba accused Tiukinhoy of influencing the school owners to make a decision.

“I believe Tiukinhoy is trying to manipulate the (Cesafi) Board. He initiated this move and influenced the schools owners to make an unfavorable decision. Instead of unifying for a common cause, Tiukinhoy is dividing us.

It’s a pity for both players and the schools. Players are looking forward to another competitive tournament, while schools are giving out a year-round scholarship to these players,” said Alcoseba.

According to Alcoseba, Tiukinhoy’s reason of conflicting schedules isn’t enough.

The VAAA will start next month, while Cesafi is also set to stage the Partners Cup, its own post-season tournament for basketball teams. Aside from the Partners Cup, Cesafi is also planning to send its best 12 players to play in a tournament in Hong Kong.

“I have been a basketball man for all my adult life. I know what the needs are of the players and the schools who gave them scholarship. Again VAAA is not competing with Cesafi but if Tiukinhoy would insist on it, let this message reach to him—VAAA will not stand down because we know what we are doing, while he is just trying to dictate us,” said Alcoseba.

With or without Cesafi member teams, VAAA will push through but Alcoseba admitted that the level of the competition will be affected. (RCM)

amdgc82
10-28-2008, 05:43 AM
The Freeman
Yayoy: Tiukinhoy has no heart for sports
By Emmanuel B. Villaruel
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
“A self-centered individual who has no heart for sports.”

In a hardline rhetoric, this is how legendary basketball coach and league organizer Raul “Yayoy” D. Alcoseba described Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. commissioner Felix O. Tiukinhoy, Jr., whom he accused as the mastermind of the CESAFI Board’s decision prohibiting its member teams from taking part in the third season of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA).

“If he (Tiukinhoy) is a true-blue sportsman, he should support this kind of endeavor. He creates divisiveness. Instead of promoting unity (in Cebu basketball), he tried to divide us. He should not be in sports, he should be in politics,” said Alcoseba in a press conference at his City Hall office.

As league commissioner, Alcoseba said Tiukinhoy should not dictate what the Board will do or initiate what he is going to do.

“He is the one who is initiating all of these. He pressured the Board to make the decision. Who called a meeting? Who made a resolution? It could not have been done if it was not for him. He has no authority to do such because he is just a commissioner,” said Alcoseba.

Alcoseba said he couldn’t comprehend the logic nor fathom the rationale behind CESAFI’s decision considering that VAAA rolls out a lot of opportunities for aspiring collegiate players in the region being a developmental league.

“I want to make it clear that VAAA is here not to compete with CESAFI. We are even helping CESAFI in terms of exposure of its players as well as in its sports program,” said Alcoseba.

Tiukinhoy cited the conflict in scheduling as the main reason of CESAFI’s latest order. He said some of their member schools are gearing up for the qualifying round of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League next month. They are also in the process of forming a CESAFI selection for a tournament in Hong Kong this December and then prepare for the Partners Cup in February next year.

But Alcoseba countered the VAAA schedule has always been flexible.

“The Champions League only takes how many games? It will not disrupt the schedule of VAAA or the CESAFI. Besides, we are willing to adjust to the schedule of CESAFI just like what we did in the past two stagings of VAAA,” said Alcoseba.

Alcoseba said he just pity the players who kept on practicing with no tournament to showcase their wares.

“These players are enjoying a year-long athletic scholarship with their respective schools and the CESAFI is only for the first semester. I pity these players because they kept on practicing without having a tournament to join in,” said Alcoseba.

“Tiukinhoy has never been an athlete so he doesn’t feel what the athletes feel. He is a selfish, self-centered individual. He doesn’t think about sports. He thinks only of himself,” blurted out Cebu’s winningest coach. “He doesn’t have love for sport. What’s wrong with the league (VAAA) that they prevented their member teams from participating?”

Alcoseba said with or without the support of the CESAFI, the VAAA will push through as scheduled on November 8. He hopes though that the team owners will reconsider their decision.

“I must admit that without the CESAFI teams, the level of competition in VAAA would become lower,” said Alcoseba.

“I just hope the respective school heads will look at the bigger picture. Joining the VAAA is of their advantage because they will be spared from financial burden, their players are all insured and will have a chance to travel to other places. More importantly, their teams will be given the needed exposure preparatory for the next CESAFI season. These are on top of the P100,000 worth of sports equipment we are offering to the top performing school,” he added.

So far, only one CESAFI member school - the University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers - has signified its intent to see action in the VAAA cage wars. The University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors, the University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars, and the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras have also expressed their willingness to join, but they have yet to ask the blessings of their school heads.

thadzonline
10-28-2008, 10:25 AM
the issue that just refuse to die down for 3 long years..sigh

D_I_A
10-29-2008, 04:17 AM
Cebu Daily News

Yayoy’s advice

By Calvin Cordova
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 14:22:00 10/28/2008

Don’t be selfish.

This was the advice of noted sportsman and Cebu City Councilor Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba to Cebu Schools Athletic Federation Inc. (Cesafi) commissioner Felix Tiukinhuy Jr., whom he accused of pressuring the Cesafi member schools not to play in the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament.

“He can deny it, but I know it was him who pressured the schools not to join. What he is doing will divide the Cebu basketball,” Alcoseba, founder of the VAAA, said Monday in a press conference in his office at the Cebu City Hall.

A Cesafi insider, interviewed by another paper, earlier clarified that Tiukinhuy did not pressure the school representatives during a board meeting where the league unanimously voted not to allow its member schools to play in the VAAA.

Alcoseba, however, stood firm that Tiukinhuy had a hand in barring the Cesafi schools from playing in the VAAA.

“I hope Tiukinhuy and the Cesafi school owners will see the bigger picture. VAAA is here not to compete with the Cesafi. We are here to help develop the talents of the athletes and help them realize their dreams which is to play in the bigger leagues,” said Alcoseba.

“I don’t know why they don’t like the VAAA. In VAAA, teams could go to other places where they could play against different teams and they don’t need to spend in those trips,” said Alcoseba.

“VAAA even offers cash prizes that the school could use in their sports program. Players in the VAAA are also insured which means whenever they get injured, they don’t have to worry their medical expenses,” he said.

“If Tiukinhuy continues with what he’s doing, he does not deserve to have a place in sports. He should be in politics,” said Alcoseba.

Lame excuse

One of the reasons why Cesafi barred its members from playing in the VAAA is the conflict of schedule as some Cesafi teams are set to play in the Collegiate Philippine Collegiate Championship.

But Alcoseba said it was a lame excuse.

“VAAA is willing to adjust with the Cesafi schedule. Besides, CCL is just a short tournament,” Alcoseba said.

Because of the Cesafi’s decision, the VAAA will have to make some changes in its schedule.

The opening of the VAAA has been moved to an undetermined date.

“I hope this issue will be resolved. Let’s stop being selfish here. I know the schools are willing to play and I hope Tiukinhuy won’t stop them,” Alcoseba said.

Cebu Daily News tried to contact Tiukinhuy to get his side but calls to his mobile phone were unanswered.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

sir thadz mukhang may word war ang CESAFI at VAAA ha? bakit kamo 3yrs na itong tumagal?

ayos din itong si Tiukhinoy ha, talagang nilalayo sa mainstream ang CESAFI, ipadala sa HK ang selection nila sponsored ng Chinese Mafia Syndicate-BAP

dapat sumali na lang ang mga member teams na gusto sa VAAA, bypass kung bypass, gawain din naman kasi ng ibang member teams ng CESAFI yan nung nagkaron ng NSBC ang BAP kahit alam na nilang SBP ang recognized ng FIBA.

kung kailan gumaganda ang CESAFI saka naman sinasabotahe ng mga taga BAP, i hope Tiukhinoy will realize that the league isn't going anywhere with such tendencies.

thadzonline
10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
CeSAFI schools being prevented from joining VAAA 3rd season is like deja vu 2007 ;D

D_I_A
10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
CeSAFI schools being prevented from joining VAAA 3rd season is like deja vu 2007 ;D

tsk!tsk!tsk!

Alcoseba vs. Tiukhinhoy

another setback for Cebu basketball >:(

amdgc82
10-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Pages: Yayoy vs. Tiukinhoy: What do you think?
By John Pages
Match Point
www.sunstar.com.ph

TWO afternoons ago, Cebu City Councilor Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba called. He was furious. “Boy (Felix) Tiukinhoy is only good if he’s the one organizing the tournament,” he said. “If he’s not part of it, to him the event is no good.”

The latest issue, as you’ve read on these back pages the past few days, is the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA).

The founder of the VAAA, Yayoy Alcoseba hoped to include, among his roster of teams, Cebu’s top collegiate schools: UV, USJ-R, UC, USC, among others.

Instead, in a 6-1 vote by the school owners of the Cebu Schools Athletic Federation (Cesafi) last week, they barred any Cesafi school from participating in the VAAA.

Infuriated, Yayoy unleashed his tirade. “You and I are into sports. Isn’t more tournaments better?” he said. “The Cesafi is played in the first semester. The VAAA is during the second semester. There’s no conflict. And, with the Champions League event in Manila, no problem, our schedule is flexible. That tournament runs for two weeks while the VAAA will be from November until February, so we can be flexible.”

Yayoy was particularly outraged, he reiterated, because the schools have everything to gain with the VAAA. “They don’t have to pay anything,” he said. “And, because the tournament includes schools from Ormoc, Dumaguete and Bohol, during out of town trips, teams do not have to spend anything. We even give free insurance to the players. I cannot understand why the players will be denied the chance to improve their skills by joining another tournament.”

These emphatic words, coming from an institution in Cebu sports—and this land’s most successful basketball coach ever—that’s a fair point from Councilor Alcoseba.

Because isn’t the reason why schools develop and groom varsity teams to allow them to join tournaments? Why should coaches Boy Cabahug and Al Solis, for example, practice Greg Slaughter and his UV teammates from 3 to 7 p.m., six days a week if there’s no event to look forward to?

To seek the answers, I called Felix Tiukinhoy.

At 4 p.m. yesterday, as soon as I started explaining the reason for my call, the Cesafi commissioner—as if anticipating such a query—let out a hearty laugh.

I dribbled straight to the point. I spoke to Yayoy yesterday, I explained, read the news reports and wanted to hear his side. Why, I asked, deprive the players the opportunity of playing another tournament?

“The VAAA is good,” answered Mr. Tiukinhoy, in his usual calm and diplomatic fashion. “But here’s the problem: the VAAA is not just any tournament... it’s a school-based tournament. It’s just like Cesafi. And, because the Cebu schools are already members of the Cesafi, it is not appropriate for them to join another school-based event.

“Yayoy has the funds with the VAAA. They are bankrolled by Michel (Lhuillier) and it’s good that they’re developing more players and teams. But, not the Cesafi teams,” he said. “My suggestion: Why not let the champion of the VAAA, possibly coming from an out-of-town school, play the champion of Cesafi? That would be a good idea.”
Now I get it.

Yayoy envisions the VAAA to be the schools’ second semester tournament—at a time when Cesafi’s own contest has concluded and when its players are idle. He envisions for the VAAA to complement the Cesafi program.

Mr. Tiukinhoy—who, as he explained to me, does not make the decisions (“I am not the Cesafi board,” he tells me, “it is they, the school owners, who decide.”)—has a different point of view: He considers the VAAA as a rival league. To him and the school owners, the VAAA is the same school-based tournament that competes against—not complements—the Cesafi.

Two points of view: One says his will complement; the other says it competes.

Who’s correct? I don’t know.

For as much as I agree with Yayoy for the need of the players to join more tournaments, I also understand the sentiments of school owners who feel threatened by the cash-rich, school-based VAAA.

What’s your opinion?

(e-mail me at john@pages.ph)

thadzonline
10-30-2008, 08:59 AM
“The VAAA is good,” answered Mr. Tiukinhoy, in his usual calm and diplomatic fashion. “But here’s the problem: the VAAA is not just any tournament... it’s a school-based tournament. It’s just like Cesafi. And, because the Cebu schools are already members of the Cesafi, it is not appropriate for them to join another school-based event.

I dont see any conflict there actually just like UCAA and NCRAA, one runs in the 1st sem and the other in the 2nd sem. some UCAA teams are also in the NCRAA. No problem of propriety as well, hindi naman ito politika, sports naman po ito. besides basketball lang naman ang event ng VAAA for now.

sir_hodge
10-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Kahit ano pang paikot ikot na dahilan nitong Tiukinhoy, whoever he is, ang bababaw ng mga dahilan niya o nila...

CONFLICT OF SCHEDULE? Ano bang ginawa ng VAAA noong nakaraang 2 taon? Nag-adjust di ba para hindi mahirapan ang mga players....
Kailangan CESAFI lang? One league, ndi na pwede sa iba? BAKIT? Iba naman ang format ng VAAA sa CESAFI... Insecure lang yata ang CESAFI kasi mas wide ang scope ng VAAA...

thadzonline
10-30-2008, 11:51 AM
The CeSAFI has a basketball schedule sa 2nd sem din, what I call a pseudo-commercial league they call the Partners' Cup. kung ako lang tatanungin, Id rather see the teams play in the VAAA rather than join the Partners Cup

sir_hodge
10-30-2008, 11:33 PM
The CeSAFI has a basketball schedule sa 2nd sem din, what I call a pseudo-commercial league they call the Partners' Cup. kung ako lang tatanungin, Id rather see the teams play in the VAAA rather than join the Partners Cup

yeah, lalo na ngayong tinalo ng mga taga-Negros ng USJR... it seems Cebu teams are not that formidable yet... tapos gugustuhin pa ni Kinhoy na wag sumali outside of CESAFI... hindi nga nila madedevelop lalo ang CESAFI teams sa gagawin nilang pagiwas sa VAAA...

D_I_A
10-31-2008, 12:41 AM
parang similar din sa issue ng UAAP and NCAA merger, takot na masira ang legacy ng isang liga lalo na ang CESAFI, but CESAFI teams have more to gain here, exposure and competition between Visayan School teams.

Yayoy's concept of regional basketball really pushes unity within the Visayas region. I just hope teams from Panay and Negros plus from Dumaguete can join the VAAA.

just a thought, sana may Mindanao Collegiate Athletic Association din para may regional amatuer school league din ang Mindanao.

sir_hodge
10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
parang similar din sa issue ng UAAP and NCAA merger, takot na masira ang legacy ng isang liga lalo na ang CESAFI, but CESAFI teams have more to gain here, exposure and competition between Visayan School teams.

Yayoy's concept of regional basketball really pushes unity within the Visayas region. I just hope teams from Panay and Negros plus from Dumaguete can join the VAAA.

just a thought, sana may Mindanao Collegiate Athletic Association din para may regional amatuer school league din ang Mindanao.

I agree, Visayas should put on a united basketball league, this is the VAAA... Panay and Negros should join in...
same as with Mindanao... daming magagaling din na ball players sa Mindanao..

D_I_A
11-01-2008, 11:37 PM

I agree, Visayas should put on a united basketball league, this is the VAAA... Panay and Negros should join in...
same as with Mindanao... daming magagaling din na ball players sa Mindanao..

sa luzon di na problema, sa dami ng associations na nabubuo, di pa kasama yung mga fly-by-night leagues na tinatayo ng BAP

pinaka latest ata itong Universities and Colleges of Luzon Athletic Association na tinayo ng SFAC, tapos meron din United Central Luzon Athletic Assoc..na kasama naman ang Lyceum Subic if you'll observe pareho pa ang acronyms

tapos may NECUAA, Nueva Ecija Colleges and Universities Athletic Association, sa south merong

NCAA-South and Southern Luzon Colleges and Universities Athletic Associations there's also groups in Quezon and Bicol regions.

kaya maganda din kung may mga regional leagues na talagang regional ang scope hindi yung pseudo league ang dating.

amdgc82
11-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Saturday, November 08, 2008
Alcoseba: UV will join VAAA
www.sunstar.com.ph

DESPITE the ban from the Cesafi Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) from joining the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA), league founder and Cebu City Councilor Yayoy Alcoseba said defending champion University of the Visayas will be back for the third edition of the tournament.

“For sure, UV will be back to defend its title. (UV coach) Boy Cabahug gave me his word that they will play and I heard no objections from Cong. Eddie Gullas,” Alcoseba told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday.

Aside from UV, the University of San Jose-Recoletos, Southwestern University and University of San Carlos are the other Cesafi members schools who are interested to play in the VAAA.

The Cesafi board voted last week, 6-1, to bar its members from joining the VAAA.

Other teams are from Ormoc, Tagbilaran and Dumaguete.

Meanwhile, Alcoseba said they moved the opening of the tournament from today to Nov. 22, still at the Cebu Coliseum.

Alcoseba said they moved the opening since they want Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manny V. Pangilinan to grace the occasion.

“We want MVP to open the season that’s why we are forced to move the schedule of the opening to Nov. 22 instead of today,” Alcoseba said.

Alcoseba clarified that the presence of MVP during the opening ceremony is crucial because VAAA has become one of the pilot projects of SBP in the south.

Except for the opening proper, everything is ready for the tournament as assured by the league commissioner Jose “Boy” Murillo.

“Everything is ready and our schedules are ready except for the opening itself which was postponed to later date,” added Murillo.

Alcoseba will be holding a press conference on Monday to formally announce the opening of the league.

“There will be important announcement that we will make on Monday. This includes the complete cast of participants,” said Alcoseba.

For the third time, VAAA participation has been tainted with the prohibition of the Cesafi members to join the league.

But like the past two seasons, VAAA went on smoothly with Cesafi members teams competing for the title. (RCM)

sir_hodge
11-08-2008, 10:58 PM
thats great

amdgc82
11-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Thursday, November 13, 2008
USC joins VAAA
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors are set to join the University of the Visayas in the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) on Nov. 22 at the Cebu Coliseum.

During the press conference held at the Yayoy’s Grill yesterday, USC head coach Jay Ramirez confirmed the participation of the team despite the resolution passed by the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) last month that barred its members from participating VAAA.

The Cesafi board voted 6-1 in favor of the restriction.

“I don’t see any conflict because VAAA is willing to adjust its schedule so that (Cesafi) teams who are going to play in the Partners Cup won’t suffer. We will join the Partners Cup and the VAAA. The players need to play in many tournaments to develop and hone their skills,” said Ramirez.

Ramirez said all he and his Warriors want is unity of Cebu basketball.

The Partners Cup is a post-season organized contest by Cesafi.

Aside from USC and UV, VAAA organizer and Cebu City councilor Raul Alcoseba is expecting more Cesafi members to join the tournament. (RCM)

amdgc82
11-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Cesafi: Respect board decision
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) broke its silence in the controversy regarding its member schools violating the board’s decision not to allow its members to participate in the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) and as a consequence, the participation of a Cesafi team in the Hong Kong competition now hangs by a thread.

Although nothing is final yet pending the meeting of the school heads next week, Cesafi president Rolando Villa said that if worse comes to worse, they might be giving sanctions to the teams that force their way.

To show their seriousness in the matter, the Cesafi might hold the Hong Kong Trip hostage.

Villa, who has been silent the entire time the issue has been hounding the local dailies, said he wants to know the final and formal stand of the schools that allegedly confirmed their participation in the VAAA.

Cesafi asked its members not to join the VAAA, which they consider a competing league, and promised to give its members enough competitions to keep them busy with a post-season event, the Partners Cup, and the participation in a tournament in Hong Kong next month.

“We only learned about it in the papers and not really directly from the school officials themselves. We are now drafting a letter asking the school heads, especially Congressman (Eddie) Gullas of UV and Southwestern University asking them to respect the board’s decision and ask them what their final decisions on the matter will be,” said Villa.

Brunt

UV will suffer the brunt of Cesafi’s ire because apart from being banned from the Partners Cup, a Cesafi-sanctioned event, there is a possibility that they will no longer be representing Cesafi in the Hong Kong tilt.

“Their participation in Hong Kong depends on this because they might be excluded from the team,” said Villa.

After the invitation for Hong Kong was received, UV was the clear favorite to represent Cesafi having been the league’s champion in all eight seasons.

Although it is a combination of players from other Cesafi teams, the Hong Kong-bound squad is made up mostly of UV players and will be coached by UV’s Elmer Cabahug.

Gullas’ move

Cabahug said that it will now all come down to the decision of Gullas.

“Our fate whether we will represent Cebu in Hong Kong all depends on the schools owners now. Our joining VAAA is the decision of Sir Dodong and the school owners,” Cabahug said.

“I will make another comment until I get the response from the school heads,” Villa said.

“We just want to put an end to all these talks about which school is joining the VAAA because as far as we are concerned the school owners already made the decision,” said Villa.

Villa added that they will still be gathering all the school heads for another meeting to once more discuss the VAAA issue among the Cesafi members. (MCB)

amdgc82
11-18-2008, 06:37 AM
UV won't join VAAA caging
Updated November 18, 2008 12:00 AM*
The Freeman

CEBU - The third season of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament is left without a defending champion after the University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers decided to back out of the Visayas-wide league tentatively set to kick off on November 22 at the Cebu Coliseum.

“That is the recommendation of Sir Didi (Gullas) and I approved it for the reason that he’s the one in charge of the Green Lancers,” said UV president Eduardo “Eddiegul” R. Gullas without further elaborating the main reason of their sudden withdrawal.

Eddiegul was referring to his son Gerald Anthony “Didi” S. Gullas, the team manager of the UV Green Lancers who also serves as the school’s assistant vice president for finance and administration. “What the Green Lancers are today, it’s because of Didi. Whatever his decisions are, I will support it,” added Eddiegul.

Gullas explained that UV’s participation in the VAAA cage wars last year was based on valid grounds.

“We joined the VAAA last year out of spite for the CESAFI,” admitted Gullas. “When our player (Morsie Akad) suffered a knee injury during the Partner’s Cup, UV spent a substantial amount for his hospital bills but the CESAFI gave only a very small amount.”

Gullas added that when the VAAA was staged, the CESAFI season was already over and they found VAAA as an added exposure for their players.

“Lastly, Sir Didi listened to the clamor of the Cebuano basketball fans, who want to see the Green Lancers play against the other teams from the Visayas region. These are all the valid reasons why we can’t say no to VAAA last year,” said Gullas.

VAAA founder and legendary coach Raul “Yayoy” D. Alcoseba declined to comment on UV’s pulling the plug this time around on the league sanctioned by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) and bankrolled by M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala.

Alcoseba earlier acknowledged that the level of competition in VAAA will be greatly affected without the entry of CESAFI teams, but he remains hopeful that the Board will reconsider its decision.

Fortnight ago, the CESAFI Board passed a resolution prohibiting its member schools from seeing action in the VAAA.

Inspite of that, several CESAFI teams still signified their intent to compete in VAAA. But CESAFI president Rolando Villa of the University of Southern Philippines Foundation (USPF) issued a strong statement to all concerned parties to respect the Board’s decision or face serious consequences for their actions that are contrary to the league’s policy. (EBV) (THE FREEMAN)

amdgc82
11-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
UV Green Lancers to skip VAAA
www.sunstar.com.ph

EIGHT-time Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. champion University of the Visayas (UV) won’t defend its crown in the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association.

“We are no longer joining the VAAA. This was upon the recommendation of Didi (Gullas, UV sports director) and I approved it,” UV president and Cebu Rep. Eddie Gullas told Sun.Star Cebu.

The Cesafi board also voted last month to bar its members from joining VAAA, which it considers a rival league.

Earlier, UV head coach Elmer Cabahug said he wants his team to defend their VAAA trophy but added their team’s participation on the VAAA will depend on Gullas’ decision.

Meanwhile, after earlier saying that there are no rules in the league’s by-laws that prohibit players who have joined the RP team from competing in the Cesafi, commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy now admits there was a ground rule that was made by the athletic directors last year.

That ground rule prompted Gullas to advice their prized center, 6-foot-11 Greg Slaughter, from joining the tryouts for the RP team since it could mean the Filipino-American might not be able to play for the Cesafi season next year.

“That rule on disqualification suggests that once a player makes it to the national team and receives stipend from the

Philippine Sports Commission then they can no longer play for the Cesafi,” said Gullas.

However, Tiukinhoy said Cesafi is not stopping Slaughter from trying out for the RP team.

Honor

“It is only the ground rules during that season and not the by-laws. As far as Cesafi is concerned, it is not stopping Greg from trying out with the national team. In fact, we are encouraging it because it will be an honor to have a player in the RP team,” said Tiukinhoy.

University of Cebu athletic director Bernard Ricablanca said he along with the other athletic directors came up with a ground rule because during that year, several athletes were called by the RP team, but instead of letting them return to Cebu, national sports associations (NSAs) had them enrolled in Manila schools.

“That was when we came up with this ground rule. This is not in the by-laws, by the way, so it is flexible in a case to case basis. We change ground rules every year when the need arises,” Ricablanca said. (MCB)

sir_hodge
11-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Dapat nyan, CESAFI na lang ang mawala, tutal hindi naman lahat ng Cebu schools eh nasa kanila...
Bakit kaya ganun, SBP sanctioned event ang VAAA pero pilit na ginigipit ang CESAFI teams na sumali sa VAAA kahit na willing naman mag-adjust ang VAAA sa schedule ng Partners Cup?

thadzonline
11-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Yung CeSAFI established na liga na yan eh and I find reason that they will be threatened by the emergence of the VAAA, especially that VAAA has the financial resources and has proven to be successful in the past 2 stagings despite minimal attendance in games.

Aminin man ng CeSAFI teams o hindi, nakinabang din ang ilang CeSAFI teams sa VAAA by pirating players from the non-CeSAFI schools. Harvey Lazalita went to play for USC after a stint with Silliman, Kurt Amores became a Jaguar after leaving Foundation U, Jemar Dela Peña is also now a Jaguar and left ACT to cite some examples.

Kung talagang hindi magkasundo, I would advice the VAAA to focus more on developing the talents from non-CeSAFI schools such as ACT and SIT in Cebu as well as urge some schools in Cebu to form teams(i'm looking at AMA Cebu, STI Cebu, UP Cebu, etc)

D_I_A
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Gullas wants to amend Cesafi rule

By Jonas Panerio
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 15:04:00 11/18/2008

Representative Eduardo Gullas (Cebu 1st District) will personally see to it that the Cesafi rule prohibiting its players from playing in the RP national squad will be amended when he hosts a Board meeting with the Cesafi school owners tonight at the Marriot Hotel.

In spite of his hectic and busy schedule as congressman, the University of the Visayas (UV) president will tend to this issue on behalf of his prized 6-foot-11 center Greg Slaughter and the entire Cebuano basketball scene.

“I am not doing this just for Greg and UV, but also for University of Cebu’s (UC) June Mar Fajardo, and the rest of the Cesafi players, who have the talent to make it to the National squad,” said Gullas.

The latest issue hounding the Cesafi stemmed from the ground rule of the 2007 season which states "athletes who are members of the national team, national training pool and developmental pool receiving stipend/allowances from the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) are disqualified from the CESAFI."

The rule in effect would prohibit Slaughter from joining the tryouts for the Rajko Toroman-mentored non-PBA backed national squad as doing so would endanger his Cesafi eligibility.

Gullas along with UV head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug are wary of the rule, which is why they have not given Slaughter the green light to go to Manila to train for the RP team.

According to the congressman, he cannot stand idly bye as this development happens as he is all for the betterment of Philippine basketball especially on the international stage.

“So long as that rule is in the rulebook, we cannot send Greg to Manila since this would allow other teams to question us and Greg's eligibility for next season,” added Gullas.

Cesafi commissioner Felix “Boy” Tiukinhoy, however, insists that no such rule exists and that Slaughter is free to train with the national squad.

Meanwhile, Gullas also confirmed UV’s non-participation in the upcoming Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament, which will start November 23 at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Green Lancers were the last holdover from the five Cesafi teams that was supposed to join the third staging of the tournament that is being organized by multi-titled head coach and Cebu City Councilor Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba.

The University of San Carlos, the University of San Jose-Recoletos, Don Bosco College and Southwestern University, who were all reported to be joining the tournament, have since decided to uphold the Cesafi Board's decision to not join the tournament.

“We would have liked to join the tournament especially since we are the defending champions but Sir Eddie (Gullas) decided it is best that we uphold the decision of the Cesafi Board,” said UV head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug.

Alcoseba said he will respect UV’s decision and the VAAA will still go on even without the Cesafi teams.

“The VAAA will go on and hopefully they will see the value of playing in many different tournaments,” said Alcoseba, who was in Manila on Monday.

“The VAAA is not a repetition of the Cesafi since there are teams from the different regions of the Visayas. We are also trying to develop and help the basketball squads of our neighboring cities, that is why we have teams from Bohol, Dumaguete and Ormoc,” said Alcoseba.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

yan ang tinatawag na Cebuano Wounded Pride..

Coun. Alcoseba, sige tuloy mo na lang yan, get those non-CESAFI teams in Cebu to join your fold, tapos isama mo na rin ang Samar-Leyte, Negros and Panay island.Mas maganda kakalabasan niyan.

Since Tiukinhoy became the king of CESAFI, daming issues ang pumasok sa liga na yan sa CEBU, para atang CESAFI counterpart ni Graham Lim si Tiukinhoy ah.

Saboteur ang dating..

amdgc82
11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Friday, November 21, 2008
VAAA moves opening to Nov. 29
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE Visayas Athletic Amateur Association (VAAA) will hold its third season with or without the participation of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) member schools.

However, VAAA officials, led by its founer Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba, have decided to move the opening of the tournament on Nov. 29 instead of tomorrow.

The opening ceremony will also no longer be held at the Cebu Coliseum but will be in Ormoc City as two of its participants– the AMA Computer College and the Western Leyte College—are both based in Ormoc City.

This move stemmed from the sudden decision of defending champion University of the Visayas Green Lancers not to join the competition last Tuesday.

UV gave in to the demand of the Cesafi board who voted 6-1 in barring its teams from participating in the VAAA.

However, VAAA will be playing with two Cebu teams, the Asian College of Technology Cyber Knights and the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers. (RCM)

D_I_A
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Friday, November 21, 2008
VAAA moves opening to Nov. 29
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE Visayas Athletic Amateur Association (VAAA) will hold its third season with or without the participation of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) member schools.

However, VAAA officials, led by its founer Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba, have decided to move the opening of the tournament on Nov. 29 instead of tomorrow.

The opening ceremony will also no longer be held at the Cebu Coliseum but will be in Ormoc City as two of its participants– the AMA Computer College and the Western Leyte College—are both based in Ormoc City.

This move stemmed from the sudden decision of defending champion University of the Visayas Green Lancers not to join the competition last Tuesday.

UV gave in to the demand of the Cesafi board who voted 6-1 in barring its teams from participating in the VAAA.

However, VAAA will be playing with two Cebu teams, the Asian College of Technology Cyber Knights and the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers. (RCM)

nagstart na ba ito?

thadzonline
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
word I got from Servinio, this is moved to Dec 5 or 6 at sa Calape, Bohol, gagawin ang opening

amdgc82
12-13-2008, 06:56 AM
3rd VAAA caging on today in Calape
Updated December 13, 2008 12:00 AM*
The Freeman

Cebu - Sans the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. (CESAFI) teams, the third season of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament will kick off today with a double-header on tap at the Calape Sports Center in Calape, Bohol.

Games today

5 pm Opening

5:30 pm UB vs. ACT

7:30 pm BIT-IC vs. SCSIT

Prior to the hardcourt hostilities, a simple opening ceremony will take place at 5 pm to be graced by VAAA founder and legendary Cebuano coach Raul “Yayoy” D. Alcoseba.

In the season-opener at 5:30 pm, the University of Bohol (UB) will clash with the Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights, while the Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC) Cruisers will battle the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers in the main match at 7:30 pm.

The following day still at the same, the four teams will swap opponents.

A total of eight teams are seeing action in the league sanctioned by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) and supported by M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala and Smart Communications.

The rest of the entries are Western Leyte College (WLC) Mustangs and AMA Computer Institute both of Ormoc City and the Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings and the Foundation University (FU) Greyhounds of Dumaguete City.

This marks for the first time that no CESAFI team is joining the VAAA. This is the offshot of the CESAFI Board’s resolution prohibiting its member schools from participating in the Visayas-wide cage league - a move called by Alcoseba as “very unselfish and inimical to the development of Cebu basketball.” – EBV (THE FREEMAN)

amdgc82
12-15-2008, 06:21 AM
3RD VAAA SEASON: ACT wins, SCSIT fumbles in opener
Updated December 15, 2008 12:00 AM*
The Freeman

Cebu teams Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights and the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers met contrasting fates at the start of the 3rd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament at the Calape Sports Center in Calape, Bohol.

The ACT Cyber Knights of coach Tata Merced scored a one-sided 92-55 beating of the University of Bohol (UB). In sharp contrast, the Jojo Romarate-mentored SCSIT Skyblazers suffered a monumental endgame collapse to fall prey at the hands of the Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC) Cruisers, 95-102.

The Cyber Knights got off to a flying start and kept their foes at bay after closing the first half with 12-point advantage, 41-29.

The Cyber Knights, third placer in last year's VAAA season ruled by the University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers, launched their final wave of attack, 33-9, to come up with a 37-point blowout.

In the first game, the SCSIT Skyblazers had a smooth-sailing start. They enjoyed an early 24-14 edge, which they parlayed into a baker's dozen lead at the intermission, 42-29.

The SCSIT Skyblazers were still on top by seven points at the end of the third period, 57-64, before wilting under BIT-IC's renewed challenge in the windup.

The BIT-IC Cruisers outgunned and outhustled the Skyblazers in the closing minutes of the contest where they staged a crippling 45-29 rally to fluster the Cebuano visitors at the final buzzer.

First game

BIT-IC (102) - Lusdoc 46, Biwang 21, Guillena 20, Tiguelo 6, Lumasag 6, Pastor 2, Medurom 1

SCSIT (95) - Amarado 25, Maurillo 16, Tampus 12, De la Vega 11, Aribal 8, Pacquibot 6, Aleguijo 4, Balaba 2

Quarterscores:14-24, 29-42, 57-64, 102-95

Second game

ACT (92) - Nuñez 30, Aparice 14, Vistal 12, Suico 11, Doy 7, Batiancila 7, Valencia 4, Cadiz 4, Reyes 2, Pontemayor 1

UB (55) - Garibol 14, Daigan 9, Lumiranas 8, Morallas 7, Quibir 7, Añasco 6, Badilla 4

Quarterscores:17-12, 41-29, 59-46, 92-55 – EBV (THE FREEMAN)

thadzonline
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
wow! Lusdoc again scoring in the 40's..that guy once considered Emilio Aguinaldo College but got turned down I heard

amdgc82
12-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Skyblazers storm Bohol in VAAA
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
www.sunstar.com.ph

IT was a different story for the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers when they lost their opening game the last time as they showed University of Bohol, who was the boss following a 109-62 trashing, to pick its first win in the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) Men’s Basketball action held at the Calape Cultural and Sports Center in Calape, Bohol last Sunday night.

The Asian Colleges of Technology Cyber Knights, on the other hand, picked its second win to take the temporary leadership following a 105-87 victory over the Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC) Cruisers in the other game.

Six Cyber Knights scored in double digit to offset another high-scoring game of Ferdinand Lusdoc who scored the game high 35 points for the losing Cruisers.

After suffering a heartbreaking 102-95 defeat from the hands of the Cruisers, SCSIT started the game strong, leaving UB by 11 points, 25-14, at the end of the first quarter.

With the memory of a fourth quarter collapsing when they played against BIT-IC in the opening day, the Skyblazers upped the tempo in the second half and dropped the axe in the final quarter with a 32-16 blitz to score its first win.

SCSIT (109)—Dela Vega 25, Maurillo 20, Amarado 13, Tampus 12, Aribal 8, Aleguno 7, Llamedo 7, S. Bigno 6, Rabaya 4, Bigno 4, Tumulak 3.
UB (62)—Morallas 15, Luminares 11, Quibir 10, Daigan 8, Quibol 7, Gabales 6, Cambagay 4, Pacatang 1.
Quarters: 25-14; 40-28; 77-46; 109-62.

ACT (105)—Aparice 25, Batiancilla 14, Doy 14, Valencia 12, Nuñez 10, Vistal 10, Paraguya 9, Cadiz 4, Suico 3, Pontemayor 2, Reyes 2.
BIT-IC (87)—Lusdoc 35, Guillena 22, Biwang 8, Lumasag 8, Nuerom 6, Cruzado 6, Tiguelo 2.
Quarters: 32-29; 54-40; 79-64; 105-87. (RCM)

sir_hodge
12-17-2008, 10:12 AM
at long last... the 3rd season has started... I hope the VAAA tourney grows even without the CESAFI teams...

thadzonline
12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Ferdinand Lusdoc averaging 40.1 points per game 2 games into the season!

D_I_A
12-22-2008, 12:19 AM
at long last... the 3rd season has started... I hope the VAAA tourney grows even without the CESAFI teams...

Agree!

Sana pati mga dumaguete, negros, and panay teams makasali.

thadzonline
12-22-2008, 02:43 AM
pareng DIA, may dumaguete teams naman, ACSAT tsaka FU

D_I_A
12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
pareng DIA, may dumaguete teams naman, ACSAT tsaka FU

ah ok that's good..thanks for the info sir thadz..

sir_hodge
02-01-2009, 12:29 AM
uhm, 4 games have been played here in Ormoc, Jan 30-31

Jan 30:
ACT wins over AMA - 89-76
SCSIT wins over WLC - 81-80

Jan 31:
ACT wins over WLC - 87-67
SCSIT wins over AMA - 96-82

sir_hodge
02-01-2009, 12:42 AM
AMA vs. UB
WLC vs. BIT

WLC vs. UB
AMA vs. BIT

UB vs. BIT
AMA vs. WLC

These games are being planned to be held in Ormoc too... 3 successive days... hope it materializes...

pachador
02-14-2009, 04:07 AM
this is a good opportunity for VAAA to strengthen its organization by reaching out to more visayan teams that are not from cebu and later to mindanao teams as well. bale, VAAA will , for now, be composed of non-cebu visayan teams except for those cebu teams who want to join. then later the top 2 VAAA teams can clash with the top 4 teams of CESAFI to decide the visayas champion. This way the turf of CESAFI is protected since they are worried of VAAA. . bale the 2 leagues have carved up their territories.

D_I_A
02-19-2009, 01:31 AM
this is a good opportunity for VAAA to strengthen its organization by reaching out to more visayan teams that are not from cebu and later to mindanao teams as well. bale, VAAA will , for now, be composed of non-cebu visayan teams except for those cebu teams who want to join. then later the top 2 VAAA teams can clash with the top 4 teams of CESAFI to decide the visayas champion. This way the turf of CESAFI is protected since they are worried of VAAA. . bale the 2 leagues have carved up their territories.

pwede..then Mindanao should also form their own regional league patterned after VAAA. I hope some leagues in Luzon could also strengthen their domains by merging with leagues that operate within the same area or region. Say NCAA-South, SLCUAA and UCLAA or UCLAA (Central Luzon), UCLAA ( Univ and Colleges of Luzon) and other Luzon provincial leagues in order at least help the PCCL in classifications and ranking of schools for the next season.

sir_hodge
03-21-2009, 11:45 PM
March 21:
AMA Titans def. UB Flying Lemurs, 84-69
WLC Mustangs def. ACSAT Lightnings, 71-60

March 22:
WLC Mustangs def. UB Flying Lemurs, 70-65
ACSAT Lightnings def. AMA Titans in OT, 102-93

March 23:
ACSAT Lightnings def. UB Flying Lemurs, 75-73
WLC Mustangs def. AMA Titans, 74-70

sir_hodge
03-25-2009, 09:22 PM
updated

ankle breaker
05-29-2009, 12:43 AM
how old is freddie lusdoc of BIT-IC? i've seen him play once in bohol and he's really a good scorer. he's short though, around 5'9-5'11". UV can get his services or perhaps some commecial teams in cebu. he could be the 2nd coming gerry betinol who happens to be from BIT as well. where the hell is he now?

ankle breaker
05-29-2009, 12:46 AM
ACT Cyberknights of Cebu defeated ACSAT Lightings of Dumaguete to win the 3rd VAAA crown via scores of 102-71. ACT was undefeated all throughout the whole tournament as they blasted all their opponents with authority.

thadzonline
05-29-2009, 01:54 PM
how old is freddie lusdoc of BIT-IC? i've seen him play once in bohol and he's really a good scorer. he's short though, around 5'9-5'11". UV can get his services or perhaps some commecial teams in cebu. he could be the 2nd coming gerry betinol who happens to be from BIT as well. where the hell is he now?

he has only 1 or 2 years of eligibility left and a certain CeSAFI school is interested in his services. Hint: he has a kababayan from Butuan in that school ;D

sir_hodge
06-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I wonder what happened with the matches after the games in Ormoc... Can't believe ACSAT played for the Championships, WLC Mustangs have beaten them here in Ormoc... Will there be a 4th VAAA?

thadzonline
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
ACSAT eliminated SCSIT in the semifinals but got routed by ACT in the Finals.

anghusay
06-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Boxscores please. ;D