PDA

View Full Version : FIBA ASian Youth Women's Championship

D_I_A
10-22-2008, 03:21 AM
Philstar

Cagebelles eye Fiba Asia semis

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The RP 18-under women’s basketball team is determined to give it all in the FIBA Asian Youth Women’s Championship with Xtreme Magic Sing vowing to help the squad in its buildup for the event slated Nov. 2-9 in Medan, Indonesia.

Head coach Raymond Celis said the team, led by skipper Kat Sandel, is in the thick of preparations for the Level 2 event that also drew teams from Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, India and Thailand.

“This is a fighting team. Almost all our players can shoot from the outside and they’re quick. We will give it our best,” said Celis during yesterday’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s Pizza UN Avenue.

The team, composed of the best players from UAAP schools like Adamson, FEU, UE and National University, was formed last February and did well in the Nike Summer League although most of the players will be making their debut in international competition.

Through president Orville Roque and COO Heny Fabian, Xtreme Magic Sing yesterday said it will provide financial assistance to the squad with the Philippine Sports Commission under chairman Butch Ramirez to shoulder the team’s airfare to the event.

“But we still need some sponsors,” said assistant coach Joey Mendoza. “We’re just thinking positively. We hope to make it to the Final Four and take things from there.”

While the organizers will provide free board and lodging, the team still needs some support to take care of the other expenses, and the allowances of the team members.

Competing in Level 1 of the coming event are countries like China, South Korea, Japan, Chinese Taipei, Kazakhstan and Malaysia.

D_I_A
10-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Daily Tribune

Extreme RP women’s cage team off to Indonesia

10/31/2008

The Extreme RP team departed for Medan, Indonesia yesterday to compete in the 19th Fiba-Asia under-18 ladies championship starting Sunday at the Angkasa Lanud Hall.

The team is composed of Adamson’s Katherine Sandel, Fria Bernardo, Khaterine Mangahas, Angelica Ortega and Ana Versoza, FEU’s Agatha Marie Estrero, Marilourd Socorro Borja, Raiza Rose Palmera and Mary Joan Leviste, NU’s Carmina Laguindanum, UE’s Cindy Resultay and La Salle-Dasmariñas’ Allalaine Degomas with Raymund Celis as head coach.

The RP girls, backed by Extreme Magic Sing, are playing in level II, needing to rule the competition to make the top level in the company of China, Korea and Japan among others.

Celis is hopeful he’s trained the team enough to compete well with Thailand, Kazakhstan, Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong in their group. They open their campaign versus the Thais Sunday.

The Thais and the Kazakhs are the top favorites in the competition with the host team considered as the dark horse.

The RP girls, however, hope to buck the odds and perform above expectation.

The Philippines has never been a contender in women’s basketball. No RP team has won more than one game in the previous stagings of the Asian U-18 championship.

D_I_A
10-31-2008, 02:04 AM
RP women’s team comes up early winner
By: Bong Pedralvez
RIGHT ON

ON the eve of their departure to Medan, Indonesia for the FIBA Asia Under-19 Women’s Championship last Wednesday, the Filipina basketeers were still very short on funds and there seemed no relief in sight.

Two weeks ago when they appeared in the PSA forum as guests, veteran sports columnist and good friend Beth Celis, whose son Raymond is the team’s head coach, told us that they lost their main patron, apparently over “management differences.”

In the end, the team had to part ways with its benefactor -- leaving the coaches and players virtually hanging in the air with so little time left to scrounge for funds.

With PSC chairman William Ramirez coming to rescue of the basketball damsels in distress, their air fare to the event was assured, but they still did not have enough for allowances.

So what does someone like Beth, who has become the unofficial “mother hen” of the RP squad, do?

Using her wide network of friends, Mama Beth managed to wangle the team a spot on the “Sa Pula, Sa Puti” contest on the popular noontime show “Eat Bulaga” last Wednesday.

There was no guarantee that the RP team members would hurdle t he opposing team, whose participants seemed as bright as them, to make it to the jackpot round to earn the big bucks they needed.

Knowing what was at stake, these spunky ladies managed to beat their opponents by a score of 2-1 to make it to the final round.

But would fortune smile on them? Or would they leave with chump change for all their efforts to get this far?

The jackpot phase of the contest calls for five team members to answer a question within a minute, or 60 seconds.

The first entry reads the question, guesses the answer then relays it to the next one in line, until it reaches the last one, who then writes the answer on an LCD slate that flashed on a widescreen TV.

Up for grabs was a cool P235,000.

Eat Bulaga host Vic Sotto let pretty team captain Kat Sandel, who was the first in line, to read the question.

Her chinky eyes lit up because the question was a cage giveaway: “Anong venue na pinaglalaruan ng PBA sa Cubao na tinatawag din na Big Dome?” or something to that effect.

Quick as a flash, Sandel relayed the answer to her teammates, until it reached the last one, who, without a second thought, wrote down “Araneta Coliseum” well within the time limit.

You could see and hear the entire RP squad screaming in delight when Sotto said “correct.”

“God is good,” said Beth when we talked to her later after the show.

With the prize, she said, each team member was now guaranteed a $200 allowance each. The rest would be put in a contingency fund, she added.

Moreover, Celis said, the team had also found new “Ninongs” in the owners of Xtreme Magic Sing, who would now be the team managers and would also be going to Medan.

Having hurdled their first challenge, these feisty basketbelles will undoubtedly give their all in the FIBA Asia Under-19 Championship.

As Beth said “God is good,” and who knows? He and the team just might do one better in Indonesia.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i'm just wondering why the SBP hasn't supported this team?

may favoritism ba si Eala dahil mas gusto nya ang Womens kaysa Youth Team

Semenelin
10-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Youth Women's... edi pwede dito yun 6'5 na HS from davao?

2sc1
10-31-2008, 02:16 PM
RP dribblers clash with Thais in FIBA-Asia U-18
abs-cbnNEWS.com | 10/31/2008 12:37 PM

The Philippine team is set to play against Thailand Sunday in the 19th FIBA-Asia Under-18 ladies' championship at the Angkasa Lanud Hall in Medan, Indonesia.

Coach Raymond Celis and the team back by Extreme Magic Sing left Thursday to prepare for the tournament. The Philippines will play in the Level II group that includes Thailand, Kazakhstan, Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong.

Celis is hopeful he’s trained the team enough to compete well to make the top level in the company of China, Korea and Japan, among others.

The team is composed of Adamson’s Katherine Sandel, Fria Bernardo, Khaterine Mangahas, Angelica Ortega and Ana Versoza, FEU’s Agatha Marie Estrero, Marilourd Socorro Borja, Raiza Rose Palmera and Mary Joan Leviste, NU’s Carmina Laguindanum, UE’s Cindy Resultay and La Salle-Dasmarinas’s Allalaine Degomas.

The Philippine team hopes its chances will improve this year since it has never been a contender in women's basketball in the region.

The Philippines has yet to win more than a game in previous outings in the Asian U-18.

D_I_A
11-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Philstar
Nationals face Thais in Asian under-18

Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Xtreme RP team faces Southeast Asian power Thailand to start its quest in the 19th FIBA-Asia under-18 ladies championship at the Angkasa Lanud Hall today.

Back in the tough Asian joust for the first time in a long while, the RP team sets out with a modest goal of playing competitively to earn the respect of the opposition.

The RP girls have long been mired in level II competition, a long shot even in the Southeast Asian level.

But coach Raymond Celis is hopeful he’s trained the team enough to compete well in this year’s tourney.

Celis has Katherine Sandel, Fria Bernardo, Khaterine Mangahas, Angelica Ortega, Ana Versoza, Agatha Marie Estrero, Marilourd Socorro Borja, Raiza Rose Palmera, Mary Joan Leviste, Carmina Laguindanum, Cindy Resultay and Allalaine Degomas with Raymund Celis at his disposal.

The team, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, challenges Thailand, Kazakhstan, Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong in level II.

Six-time defending champion China, Korea, Japan, Chinese-Taipei, India and Malaysia slug it out in the elite Level I which decides the champion as well as the three qualifiers for the 2009 World Championship.

The top four finishers in Level I advance to the knockout semifinals. The top two finishers from Level II, meanwhile, will play off with the bottom two finishers of Level I for a place in the elite level for the next edition.

Having been in the elite level before, the Thais and the Kazakhs are favored against the Filipinas, the Singaporeans, the Indonesians and the Hong Kong girls.

China, Korea, Japan and Chinese Taipei have always been the top four in this championship for over two decades now.

The last time any team outside this foursome made the semifinals was 1984 when Malaysia made the semis in the eighth edition of the championship in Seoul, Korea.

China, Korea and Japan were the top three in 2006, gaining the right to represent the region in the 2007 FIBA World U19 Championship in Slovakia.

coreytaylor
11-02-2008, 12:28 PM
RP cagers face tough Thai ladies
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines braces for an arduous run as it debuts against powerhouse Thailand in the 19th Fiba-Asia under-18 ladies basketball championship today at the Angkasa Lanud Hall in Medan, Indonesia.

Mentored by Raymond Celis, the Xtreme RP team will also see action against Kazakhstan, Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong in Level II.

Socorro Borja, Raiza Rose Palmera, Agatha Marie Estrero and Mary Joan Leviste of UAAP champion Far Eastern University spearhead the squad.

“We understand that we need to strengthen the youth program to prepare them for the bigger battle ahead,” said team backer Orville Roque, president of Xtreme Magic Sing’s mother company The Astra Group.

During the send-off party, chief operating officer Heny Fabian also reminded the players to sustain their passion despite the odds.

No Philippine team has won more than one game in the previous stagings of the Asian U-18 championship.

Six-time defending champion China, Korea, Japan, Chinese-Taipei, India and Malaysia will slug it out in the elite Level I, where the top four squads will clash in the knockout semifinals for a slot at the 2009 World Championship.

The bottom finishers in Level I will tangle against the top two teams from Level II for a slot in the next edition’s elite level.

University of the East’s Cindy Resultay, Adamson’s Katherine Sandel, Fria Bernardo, Khaterine Mangahas, Angelica Ortega and Ana Versoza, National University’s Carmina Laquinadum and La Salle-Dasmariñas’s Allalaine Degomas round up the roster.

coreytaylor
11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
In Huddle
Lady cagers ready for Medan war
By Beth Celis

MEDAN, Indonesia—If what was written in a poster at the airport is correct, Medan, in English, means garden. Hopefully, garden of paradise or Eden for the dozen girls who flew from Manila last Thursday, Oct. 30, to represent the Philippines in the 19th Fiba-Asia Under-18 Championship for Junior Women. Hopefully, too, a far cry from the tragedy that occurred in this very same place over a decade ago when a fellow scribe from a popular weekly magazine was brought home in a box.

Pyke Jocson, who wrote for the now defunct Sports Weekly magazine, was in Medan to cover a basketball event. Hardly anybody, except perhaps the participants, recall what it was but everyone remembers what happened to Pyke.

He died in his sleep, just like actor Rico Yan. Filipinos call it bangungot. Those who were with him at dinner said he had eaten a hearty meal that night, which is said to be the precursor of the strange malady.

I decided to keep the story of Pyke to myself, but inasmuch as it was Halloween, I thought I’d invoke the spirit of the fallen journalist for some assistance to our mission in Medan.

According to a book I read, spirits of the dead are given a pass to roam the world of the living on Halloween.

From Manila, it takes two flights to get to Medan. In our case we took off from Manila to Kuala Lumpur, stayed overnight there, then took a connecting flight from KL to Medan. The Malaysian and Indian teams were with us on the same flight.

If the Filipinos were overwhelmed by the ceiling of both teams, they didn’t show it.

But I know that they kept looking, sizing up who they perceived to be their opponents.

For sure they heaved a sigh of relief when I told them that Malaysia and India were in Division l. Of all the countries in Southeast Asia, only Malaysia was in that group.

We were classified in Division 2.

The Thais were one of the last teams to arrive in Medan. They walked into the dinner hall in their bright canary yellow practice uniforms, but their general appearance hardly daunted the RP girls.

We are scheduled to play our first game against Thailand today at 11 am. While Thailand’s elite team is in Division l, their junior counterpart is only in Division 2.

“Kaya yan, Ma’am,” 5-foot-6 Cindy Resultay from the University of the East and 6-1 center Mary Joan Leviste of FEU said in unison.

This team’s bravado is different from most teams I have been exposed to. They never go halfway in their statements. They never say “We have a good chance” or “We will give it our best shot. Its always “It can be done!”

I don’t know; maybe this attitude stems from their youth.

How did they feel, I asked Soc Borja of FEU and Fria Bernardo of Adamson, when they saw the stratospheric opposition?

“Wala lang,” the reply was simultaneous.

“Height is not necessarily might,” Fria added.

After two meals in Medan, half of the team was bothered by gas pains and diarrhea, reported team captain Kat Sandel of Macabebe, Pampanga.

It could be the water or spicy food, she said.

Perhaps most of the teams complained because the following day, the kitchen stopped serving dishes that were too spicy.

In a meeting with the coaching staff two days before the opening of the tournament, the girls also pledged to be united, setting aside school affiliations temporarily and putting forward the interest of flag and country.

SAMSON
11-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I heared we beat Thailand in Medan. Good job girls . You are the future of our elite womens team. And is it true that Ish Tiu got an ACL during practice training of Ateneo and RP Elite womens team. That is because the Ateneo coach is pushing her team to practice with the elite team who are so rough. And Ish is a member of the youth team who are now in Medan. I wonder why she didn't join them in Medan. Attention Mr. and Mrs. Tiu..... See

In Huddle
Lady cagers ready for Medan war
By Beth Celis

MEDAN, Indonesia—If what was written in a poster at the airport is correct, Medan, in English, means garden. Hopefully, garden of paradise or Eden for the dozen girls who flew from Manila last Thursday, Oct. 30, to represent the Philippines in the 19th Fiba-Asia Under-18 Championship for Junior Women. Hopefully, too, a far cry from the tragedy that occurred in this very same place over a decade ago when a fellow scribe from a popular weekly magazine was brought home in a box.

Pyke Jocson, who wrote for the now defunct Sports Weekly magazine, was in Medan to cover a basketball event. Hardly anybody, except perhaps the participants, recall what it was but everyone remembers what happened to Pyke.

He died in his sleep, just like actor Rico Yan. Filipinos call it bangungot. Those who were with him at dinner said he had eaten a hearty meal that night, which is said to be the precursor of the strange malady.

I decided to keep the story of Pyke to myself, but inasmuch as it was Halloween, I thought I’d invoke the spirit of the fallen journalist for some assistance to our mission in Medan.

According to a book I read, spirits of the dead are given a pass to roam the world of the living on Halloween.

From Manila, it takes two flights to get to Medan. In our case we took off from Manila to Kuala Lumpur, stayed overnight there, then took a connecting flight from KL to Medan. The Malaysian and Indian teams were with us on the same flight.

If the Filipinos were overwhelmed by the ceiling of both teams, they didn’t show it.

But I know that they kept looking, sizing up who they perceived to be their opponents.

For sure they heaved a sigh of relief when I told them that Malaysia and India were in Division l. Of all the countries in Southeast Asia, only Malaysia was in that group.

We were classified in Division 2.

The Thais were one of the last teams to arrive in Medan. They walked into the dinner hall in their bright canary yellow practice uniforms, but their general appearance hardly daunted the RP girls.

We are scheduled to play our first game against Thailand today at 11 am. While Thailand’s elite team is in Division l, their junior counterpart is only in Division 2.

“Kaya yan, Ma’am,” 5-foot-6 Cindy Resultay from the University of the East and 6-1 center Mary Joan Leviste of FEU said in unison.

This team’s bravado is different from most teams I have been exposed to. They never go halfway in their statements. They never say “We have a good chance” or “We will give it our best shot. Its always “It can be done!”

I don’t know; maybe this attitude stems from their youth.

How did they feel, I asked Soc Borja of FEU and Fria Bernardo of Adamson, when they saw the stratospheric opposition?

“Wala lang,” the reply was simultaneous.

“Height is not necessarily might,” Fria added.

After two meals in Medan, half of the team was bothered by gas pains and diarrhea, reported team captain Kat Sandel of Macabebe, Pampanga.

It could be the water or spicy food, she said.

Perhaps most of the teams complained because the following day, the kitchen stopped serving dishes that were too spicy.

In a meeting with the coaching staff two days before the opening of the tournament, the girls also pledged to be united, setting aside school affiliations temporarily and putting forward the interest of flag and country.

SAMSON
11-03-2008, 12:03 AM
What do you mean SBP is not supporting RPY girls team? Eh hindi nga pumunta si Eala sa Medan pinadala si Perry Martinez, While in Bali he was there for the 3 on 3 last October. Attention Mr MVP of SBP......Your team Talk n Text voted for his ouster as PBA comissioner tapos u got him for SBP.... Nasan ang prisipyo natin... May Toro man pang kinuha si Eala imoral talaga. EWAN KO...*

D_I_A
11-03-2008, 12:49 AM
What do you mean SBP is not supporting RPY girls team? Eh hindi nga pumunta si Eala sa Medan pinadala si Perry Martinez, While in Bali he was there for the 3 on 3 last October. Attention Mr MVP of SBP......Your team Talk n Text voted for his ouster as PBA comissioner tapos u got him for SBP.... Nasan ang prisipyo natin... May Toro man pang kinuha si Eala imoral talaga. EWAN KO...*

there's just a bit of misunderstanding between the RP Womens Youth Coach and the RP Women's Elite/Senior Team Coach.

sponsorship issues I guess.

================================================== =====================

Philstar

Xtreme Magic Sing supports RP Girls

Monday, November 3, 2008

Xtreme Magic Sing joined the list of sponsors backing the Philippine Youth Women’s team’s campaign in the 19th FIBA Asian Under-18 Championship which got under way yesterday in Medan, Indonesia.

Orville Roque, president of The Astra Group, mother company of Xtreme Magic Sing, and Heny Fabian, chief operating officer of the company, threw their support by way of providing financial assistance to the national team.

“For the love of basketball and for the national interest, our company is willing to provide assistance especially for the youth team,” said Roque. “We understand that we need to strengthen the youth program to prepare them for bigger battles ahead.”

Fabian challenged the members of the team during its courtesy call at their head office to give their best shot against all odds.

D_I_A
11-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Daily Tribune

Pinay cagers upset Thais

11/04/2008

MEDAN — The Xtreme RP team fought with great resolve to pull the rug from under the fancied Thailand squad, 74-67, at the start of the 19th Fiba Asia under-18 ladies championship Sunday at the Angkasa Lanud Hall here.

The RP belles cut down the Thais to size, fashioning out a come-from-behind win using quickness, scrappy defense and mental toughness to offset their rivals’ height advantage and rough game.

“I thought my greatest fears would prove true. I was scared of the Thais’ tremendous height advantage but we were able to offset this,” said RP team head coach Raymond Celis.

“The Thais were bound to collapse in the fourth quarter, I could see it,” said assistant coach Joey Mendoza, observing that the Thai bench was not really as deep as they earlier perceived it to be.

The RP girls, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, next play Hong Kong at 1 p.m. today.

Fria Bernardo bucked the roughhousing of the Thais to topscore with 20 points. Team captain Kat Sandel and Cindy Resultay added 15 and 10, respectively.

The Filipinas rallied from an early 10-point deficit and outmaneuvered the Thais at the finish for the upset which augured well for the RP team’s bid for promotion to Level I play.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Malaya

11/4/2208

MEDAN, Indonesia. — The Xtreme RP team fought with great resolve to pull the rug from under the fancied Thailand squad 74-67 Sunday in the opener of the 19th FIBA Asia under-18 ladies championship at the Angkasa Lanud Hall here.

The Filipinas rallied from an early 10-point deficit and outmaneuvered the Thais in the closing minutes to score the upset, which augured well for the RP team’s bid for promotion to Level I play.

The team needs to finish in the top two in the tourney, a Level II competition, to advance to Level I play against China, South Korea, Japan, Chinese Taipei, Malaysia and India.

Fria Bernardo bucked the roughhousing of the Thais to topscore with 20 points, team captain Kat Sandel had 15 while Cindy Resultay came up with 10.

"I thought my greatest fears would prove true. I was scared of the Thais’ tremendous height advantage but we were able to offset this," said RP team head coach Raymond Celis.

"The Thais were bound to collapse in the fourth quarter, I could see it," said assistant coach Joey Mendoza, stressing the Thai bench was not as deep as they thought it would be.

The RP girls, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, battle play Hong Kong at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

"Even if they led most of the time in the first half, I was never nervous or pressured. I felt we would prevail in the end," said Raiza Palmera.

Bernardo and Sandel both complained of being punched by their Thai defenders but never gave up the fight.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++
way to go! keep it up girls!!! ;D

D_I_A
11-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Malaya
11/6/2008

RP belles streak to 2nd win

MEDAN, Indonesia. – The Xtreme RP team clobbered Hong Kong 84-53 on Tuesday for its second win in as many games in the 19th FIBA Asia under-18 ladies championship at the Angkasa Lanud Hall here.

The Filipinas, who upset Thailand 74-67 on Sunday, started with a 10-0 run and never let up to grab a share of the lead with top favorite Kazakhstan after three days of Level II play in the biennial Asian junior ladies joust.

The RP belles, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, were to take on Singapore late Wednesday and will battle Kazakhstan on Friday.

Team skipper Kat Sandel scored 18 points while Allalaine de Gomas, Cindy Resultay and Fria Bernardo finished in double digits.

"They’re bigger but slower. Our girls were just too quick and too skillful for them," said RP team coach Raymond Celis.

"We won the game on defense. It created plenty of fastbreak opportunities for us and we converted most of them. It’s the kind of game that proves defense is the best offense," said 6-foot-1 center Mhean Leviste, a banking management student from FEU.

The RP belles put up the pressure right from the start, taking the early initiative and going on to take the half at 45-20.

The Hong Kong girls picked up their game a bit after the halftime huddle, outscoring the Filipinas 23-20 in the third period.

The RP team, however, put its own game back in order in the fourth, quickly fending off the Hong Kong challenge to complete the one-sided win and stay on equal footing with Kazakhstan.

The top two teams in Level II competition get a playoff crack at a seat in Level I play in the next edition of the FIBA Asia U-18 ladies championship.

S

CrossOver
11-06-2008, 12:47 AM
MEDAN, Indonesia – The Xtreme RP team, boosted by its 74-67 upset of Thailand Sunday, blasted Hong Kong, 84-53, yesterday to gain a share of the lead with Kazakhstan in the 19th FIBA Asia under-18 ladies championship at the Angkasa Lanud Hall here Tuesday.

The RP belles, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, pounded their Hong Kong rivals with their run-and-game anchored on a tough defense en route to the victory, their second straight to catch Kazakhstan at helm after three days of Level II play in the biennial Asian junior ladies joust.

The Xtreme RP squad is set to face Singapore late Wednesday. It plays Kazakhstan tomorrow.

Team skipper Kat Sandel topscored with 18 points while Allalaine De Gomas, Cindy Resultay and Fria Bernardo added at least 10 each as the RP belles smothered the tall Hong Kong team with a tough defense and a running attack.

“They’re bigger but slower. Our girls were just too quick and too skillful for them,” said RP team coach Raymond Celis.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081105214)

D_I_A
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Tribune
Sluggish Pinays rout Singaporeans

11/07/2008

MEDAN, Indonesia — A number of key players struggled on the court on the arrival of their monthlies, but this didn’t stop the Xtreme RP team from clobbering Singapore, 68-50, for a third win in a row in the 19th Fiba Asia under-18 ladies championship at the Angkasa Lanud Hall here Wednesday.

Though uncharacteristically slow and sluggish, the RP bells had little trouble getting past the Singaporeans to move closer to a playoff crack at promotion to Level I play in the next edition of the biennial Asian junior ladies tilt.

The RP squad, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, used decisive runs in the first and the last quarters in nailing its third straight win after earlier victories over Thailand and Hong Kong.

The RP belles, however, are likely to face a tough test in their penultimate game in the preliminary round against Kazakhstan today. Coach Raymond Celis and his team need to place first or second in Level II to line themselves up for a playoff with either the fifth or sixth placer in Level I.

D_I_A
11-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Philstar
RP cagebelles bow to Kazakhs

Sunday, November 9, 2008

MEDAN, Indonesia – The Xtreme RP team’s romp came to a halt Friday with the Filipinas narrowly beaten by the Kazakhstan belles, 68-71, in the 19th FIBA Asia under-18 ladies championship at Gor Angsapura here.

The scrappy RP girls engaged their much taller Kazakh rivals in a fierce seesaw battle only to see the breaks go against them at endgame as they missed what could have been an outright playoff shot at promotion to Level I play in this biennial Asian joust divided into two divisions.

With a 3-1 win-loss card, the RP team can still gain a playoff crack at Level I competition in the next edition of the event with a win over host Indonesia in their game set late last night.

“They completely dominated the shaded area. They were just too big for us,” said RP team Raymond Celis.

“Despite our severe height and heft disadvantage, we fought neck and neck with them. We just fell short in the end,” said 5-foot-5 guard Soc Borja, who limited prolific Kazakh scorer Tamara Seregina to 12 points.

“We blew several opportunities to tie or take the lead in the last two minutes of the game. We fought so hard and we could have won,” said sweet-shooting forward Raiza Palmera.

RP delegation head Perry Martinez, however, urged the girls to move on, saying they have to stay focused in their game against Indonesia.

The Kazakhs started with a 9-0 run but it didn’t take long for the Filipinas to catch up. The two teams fought through several deadlocks and lead changes until the Kazakhs enjoyed the breaks at the finish.

CrossOver
11-10-2008, 12:10 AM
MEDAN, Indonesia – The Xtreme RP team clobbered host Indonesia, 83-68, Saturday to grab the Level II silver medal in the 19th FIBA-Asia Under-18 ladies championship for a crack at a slot in the elite division in the next edition of the biennial regional meet.

The RP belles, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, were to play Level I fifth placer Malaysia yesterday in a playoff determining whether the Philippines would stay in Level II or be promoted to the elite group in 2010.

The RP girls bucked the odds to place second to Kazakhstan in Level II and eighth overall counting Level I teams China, Japan, Korea, Chinese Taipei, Malaysia and India. It’s the best finish by the country in the tourney since it placed third out of only four entries in the fifth edition of this competition in 1978 in Manila.

Perennial champion China and Japan were to fight for the crown, also yesterday.

Raiza Rose Palmera scored a game-high 22 points while Kat Sandel dished out a double-double performance with 19 points and 17 rebounds to lead the RP girls to the victory for a closing 4-1 (win-loss) record.

Kazakhstan completed a five-game sweep for the Level II gold medal and also a playoff shot at the elite group against India. Thailand came in third with a 3-2 slate followed by Indonesia (2-3), Hong Kong (1-4) and Singapore (0-5).

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081109197)

D_I_A
11-10-2008, 01:24 AM
MEDAN, Indonesia – The Xtreme RP team clobbered host Indonesia, 83-68, Saturday to grab the Level II silver medal in the 19th FIBA-Asia Under-18 ladies championship for a crack at a slot in the elite division in the next edition of the biennial regional meet.

The RP belles, backed by Xtreme Magic Sing, were to play Level I fifth placer Malaysia yesterday in a playoff determining whether the Philippines would stay in Level II or be promoted to the elite group in 2010.

The RP girls bucked the odds to place second to Kazakhstan in Level II and eighth overall counting Level I teams China, Japan, Korea, Chinese Taipei, Malaysia and India. It’s the best finish by the country in the tourney since it placed third out of only four entries in the fifth edition of this competition in 1978 in Manila.

Perennial champion China and Japan were to fight for the crown, also yesterday.

Raiza Rose Palmera scored a game-high 22 points while Kat Sandel dished out a double-double performance with 19 points and 17 rebounds to lead the RP girls to the victory for a closing 4-1 (win-loss) record.

Kazakhstan completed a five-game sweep for the Level II gold medal and also a playoff shot at the elite group against India. Thailand came in third with a 3-2 slate followed by Indonesia (2-3), Hong Kong (1-4) and Singapore (0-5).

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081109197)

good work girls

PilipinasFan
11-11-2008, 10:51 PM
indeed, the rp youth women's team gave it their all in the recently concluded 19th edition of the fiba asia basketball championships for young ladies. with a 4-1 record in level 2 and a point or two away from qualifying for an elite level 1 spot, we can really be proud of our national team and its a good sign that everything is going smoothly for philippine basketball., aja sbp.,

D_I_A
11-11-2008, 10:57 PM
indeed, the rp youth women's team gave it their all in the recently concluded 19th edition of the fiba asia basketball championships for young ladies. with a 4-1 record in level 2 and a point or two away from qualifying for an elite level 1 spot, we can really be proud of our national team and its a good sign that everything is going smoothly for philippine basketball., aja sbp.,

sayang pero pwede na!

after the suspension from FIBA, the mishandling of the BAP..ok na..next time will be back!

Go SBP!!!

CrossOver
11-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Go girls! Girl Power!* :D

D_I_A
11-30-2008, 12:05 AM
RP Youth stuns Ever Bilena
Daily Tribune
11/30/2008

Xtreme-RP Youth came through with a big fourth quarter attack yesterday to stun erstwhile unbeaten Ever Bilena, 72-67, while Oracle Residences beat Sunkist-La Salle at the end of the elimination round of the Women’s Philippine Basketball League at the Lyceum gym in Intramuros.

Ana Almazan presided over Xtreme-RP Youth’s fourth quarter attack, knocking down 10 of her game-high 28 points to hand the Gandang Pinay their first setback in four games.

With the win, Xtreme-RP Youth tied Ever Bilena at the end of Group B elims at 3-1.

Drawing inspired plays from Far Eastern University stars Katherine Reyes, Raiza Palmera and Joey Positos, Oracle Residences outsteadied the RFM-backed La Salle squad, 58-55, and finished the elims at 2-2 in Group A.

The loss was the fourth straight for Sunkist-La Salle, leaving them with the great task of beating Group B topnocher EDver Bilena in the knockout quarterfinal round slated on Dec 12.

Just like Discovery Suites-RP Women’s team, Xtreme-RP Youth is playing in the revival tournament as a guest team and will not be included in the quarterfinals.

The loss was a bitter pill to swallow for Ever Bilena who led as many as 15 points in the third quarter only to lose steam in the fourth quarter.

Marichu Bacaro, the reigning UAAP MVP from University of Santo Tomas, led Ever Bilena with 21 points but was held to just two points in the final 10 minutes. She scored 12 of the team’s 19 points in the third that enabled them to post a 58-43 lead at the end of the third quarter.

Meanwhile, Smart Sports-University of the Philippines forged a three-way tie with Xtreme-RP Youth by downing Mail & More, 67-51.

The scores:

First Game

Oracle Residences (58) — Reyes 13, Palmera 12, Positos 11, Ravago 7, Leviste 4, Sernal 3, Yazon 2, Rivera 2, Astrero 2, Cabochan 2, Tiu 0, Nido 0, Vinas 0.

Sunkist-La Salle (55) — Gloriani 22, Urieta 11, Prado 8, Laureola 4, Yamamoto 4, Alon-alon 2, Dimaporo 0, Concepcion 2, Cruz 0, Ojeda 0, Candano 0.

Quarters: 10-13; 20-22; 40-37; 58-55.

Second Game

Xtreme RP Youth 72 — Almazan 28, Palmera 14, Sandel 10, Bernardo 7, Bundia 7, Resultay 5, Versoza 0, Astreo 0, Leviste 0.

Ever Bilena 67 — Bacaro 21, Ono 17, Buenacosa 12, Orillana 6, Casakit 5, Fermin 4, Leonbardo 2, Obrador 0, Gregorio 0, Carreon 0, Bombeo 0, Noscal 0.

Quarters: 23-20; 30-39; 43-58; 72-67.