PDA

View Full Version : Youth Basketball (13 yrs and below)

gameface_one
10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Herrera to call the shots for SBP team

Saturday, October 25, 2008
Philstar.com

The SBP (Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas) is holding tryouts for boys 13 years old and under who will represent the country in the coming Youth Basketball of America State Championship in Florida, USA to be held next July.

Mark Herrera, assistant coach to the PBL Burger King Whoppers, and mentor of the two-time champion Junior. PBA Talk ‘N Text team, was appointed as head coach of the team. He will be assisted by PJ Navarro and Homer Bautista of the Ateneo, Jerome Oliva of Xavier and Benjie Diswe of St. Clare.

Among Herrera’s top advisers are former PBA superstars Jerry Codiñera, Vergel Meneses and Andy de Guzman and coaches Ernie Laurel and Nemie Villegas.

The tryouts for the RP Youth 13 and Under basketball team will be on Nov. 9, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. at the Xavier School in Greenhills, San Juan City. Participants should bring a copy of their NSO certified birth certificate.

“We would like to encourage all boys 13 years old and under, even the out-of-school youths to join the tryouts. This is a big opportunity to showcase your talents,” said Herrera,

The tryouts are part of the talent identity program under the leadership of SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan, vice chairman Ricky Vargas, SBP Youth Commission chairman Nic Jorge, SBP executive director Noli Eala.

D_I_A
11-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Philstar

SBP, coach pursue extensive training for 13-under national pool

Monday, November 3, 2008

The Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas will hold a year-round training program, starting with mini-tournaments and culminating with the Philippine participation in a US tournament next year for top players to be chosen from the country’s top 13-under players.

National 13-under coach Mark Herrera said the initial tryouts start on Nov. 9, 1 –6 p.m. at Xavier School in Greenhills, Quezon City.

The 14 candidates chosen from the pool will form the RP youth team that will compete in the America State Championship in Florida, USA on July 29, 2009.

Herrera, a former Red Warrior who is assistant coach of the PBL Burger King Whoppers and head coach of two-time Jr. PBA champion Jr. Talk ‘N Text, said 48 will be chosen from the first tryout.

The players will be divided into four teams which will play a series of games, from which the pool will be reduced to 24.

Herrera is assisted by coach PJ Navarro and Homer Bautista of the Ateneo, Jerome Oliva of Xavier School and Benjie Diswe of St. Clare.

Among Herrera’s top advisers are former PBA superstars Jerry Codiñera, Vergel Meneses and Andy de Guzman and coaches Ernie Laurel and Nemie Villegas.

The tryouts are part of the talent identity program initiated by SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan, vice chairman Ricky Vargas, SBP youth commission chairman Nic Jorge and SBP executive director Noli Eala and in line with the SBP’s strategy of developing young talents for international competitions beyond 2012.

Registration: Herrera at 0910.461.1007; (02)557.2157 or (02)710-3639.

full battle gear
11-03-2008, 09:34 AM
SBP, coach pursue extensive training for 13-under national pool

Monday, November 3, 2008
www.philstar.com

The Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas will hold a year-round training program, starting with mini-tournaments and culminating with the Philippine participation in a US tournament next year for top players to be chosen from the country’s top 13-under players.

National 13-under coach Mark Herrera said the initial tryouts start on Nov. 9, 1 –6 p.m. at Xavier School in Greenhills, Quezon City.

The 14 candidates chosen from the pool will form the RP youth team that will compete in the America State Championship in Florida, USA on July 29, 2009.

Herrera, a former Red Warrior who is assistant coach of the PBL Burger King Whoppers and head coach of two-time Jr. PBA champion Jr. Talk ‘N Text, said 48 will be chosen from the first tryout.

The players will be divided into four teams which will play a series of games, from which the pool will be reduced to 24.

Herrera is assisted by coach PJ Navarro and Homer Bautista of the Ateneo, Jerome Oliva of Xavier School and Benjie Diswe of St. Clare.

The tryouts are part of the talent identity program initiated by SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan, vice chairman Ricky Vargas, SBP youth commission chairman Nic Jorge and SBP executive director Noli Eala and in line with the SBP’s strategy of developing young talents for international competitions beyond 2012.

Registration: Herrera at 0910.461.1007; (02)557.2157 or (02)710-3639.

CrossOver
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Over 250 kids showed up in the first RP Youth 13-under team tryouts at the Xavier School in San Juan City last Sunday with the field set to be trimmed this weekend when the second tryout is held at The Arena in San Juan City.* *

“I’m very happy that many of these boys’ skills are being showcased here. They are the future of Philippine basketball and it’s an honor for me to be part in the development of their talent,” said head coach Mark Herrera, two-time Jr. PBA champion and assistant coach of the PBL Burger King Whoppers.

Herrera said another tryout will be held this Saturday, from 12 noon to 5 p.m., at The Arena in San Juan. Participants should bring their NSO certified birth certificates. Participants must be 13 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2009.

For details, call up Herrera at 0910-4611007; (02) 557-2157; or (02) 710-3639.

The aspirants, who came mostly from Metro Manila and nearby provinces, showcased their talent and skills during the jampacked, five-hour tryouts also conducted by assistant coaches PJ Navarro and Homer Bautista of Ateneo, Jerome Oliva of Xavier School and Benjie Diswe of St. Clare.

The event, under the SBP youth training program, serves as part of the selection process for the 13-under youth squad competing in the Florida State Championship in the US next year.

“I would like to thank the all-out support of SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan, chairman Ricky Vargas, SBP Youth Commission chai Nic Jorge and SBP director Noli Eala,” Herrera said. Among Herrera’s advisers are former PBA stars Jerry Codiñera and Vergel Meneses.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081112221)

CrossOver
11-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Para don sa mga makakabasa & me kilalang talented U13 sa buong Pilipinas pagkakataon niyo na.

CrossOver
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Magkaron din sana pala ng tryout dun sa Visaya's & Mindanao para don sa mga hirap mag travel pa sa Luzon hindi na sila dadayo pa.

ej_josef
11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
??? saan na ba at kailan na ba ang sunod na try-out ??? parents needs information also para naman maisabak nila ang mga anak nila... :-\

insulares
11-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Herrera taps UP for U-13 cage program

Updated November 30, 2008 12:00 AM*

The national 13-under coaching staff headed by Mark Herrera has tapped the services of the University of the Philippines department of sports, science and human kinetics to determine the height and strength potentials of 68 aspirants who had passed the second stage of tryouts.

Herrera, who was tasked by the SBP under president Manny V. Pangilinan to conduct tryouts and train aspirants for the national pool for international competitions starting next year in the US, said UP experts had volunteered to join SBP’s talent identification program.

The program, to be used for the first time by a national team, aims to determine how far and how soon the 13-under aspirants can progress in terms of height and stamina.

Areas to be tested at the UP gymnasium today, starting at 1 p.m., relate to bone structure, speed, jumping ability, reach and height potential.

“This new approach, for example, will help us determine this early who among the boys we have tried out can reach certain heights we need as they go through the training process,” said Herrera, also assistant coach of Burger King in the PBL.

Jess Agaduan, head of the UP sports, science and human kinetics department, will conduct the tests.

From the original batch of 106 candidates, Herrera and his team pruned down the list to 68, from which 48 will be chosen in the next tryouts. They will be grouped into four teams that will play in a tournament serving as the final stages of the selection process to determine the top 14 players that will compete in a US under-13 tournament in July next year.

The coaching staff is also going to the provinces to conduct additional tryouts Dec. 26-28.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=419923&publicationSubCategoryId=69

salsa caballero
11-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Just found out a 6-2 kid attended the try-outs. Oh, I should add, an ELEVEN year old 6-2 kid. Can you say shoo-in?

CrossOver
12-09-2008, 12:20 AM
The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas resumes its nationwide search for future Olympic cagers when it holds a series of out-of-town tryouts starting in Zamboanga City Dec. 26-28.

National 13-under head coach Mark Herrera, together with his coaching staff and SBP National Youth Commission chairman Nic Jorge, will conduct the tryouts aimed to discover new talents to be added to the pool of the RP Youth team.

The tryouts for Metro Manila and nearby provinces are over, but Herrera said he and his staff will also be holding other tryouts to discover new players from the south.

“I am really excited to go to Zamboanga to see a new brand of ballgame. I have been getting a lot of requests from our brothers from other provinces in the south to visit them and check out their very talented players,” said Herrera, assistant coach of the PBL Burger King Stunners and head coach of two-time champion Talk ‘n Text team in the Jr. PBA league.

After Zamboanga, Herrera’s coaching staff is heading off to Zambales to hold similar tryouts Jan. 2-4. Herrera said the next stop will be Davao and Cebu early next year. This will complete the first 48 players for the RP Youth 13-U pool.

“The tryouts in Metro Manila were very successful and I am hoping that we will find more kids who are willing to dedicate their talents to basketball. These kids will be the future of Philippine basketball and I am proud to be a part of their talent discovery,” Herrera said.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=422515&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

onggok
12-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Just found out a 6-2 kid attended the try-outs. Oh, I should add, an ELEVEN year old 6-2 kid. Can you say shoo-in?
What part of the country is this kid?

salsa caballero
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
...moving forward, a very significant part, it looks like.

glock23
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
what about a 12 yr old 5'7 point guard of the future? ;)

D_I_A
01-01-2009, 04:18 AM
SBP to form league to test 13-under kids
Updated January 01, 2009 12:00 AM
Philstar

SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan (second from left) discusses the RP Youth 13-under tournament in a meeting with, from left, National Youth Commission chairman Nic Jorge, SBP vice chair Ricky Vargas and National 13-under coach Mark Herrera.

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas is set to form a league that will showcase the talents of the 48 players of the national 13-under team that will compete in the National Association Basketball League in Florida, USA in June.

National 13-Under coach Mark Herrera said the staging of the tournament was discussed in a meeting with SBP chairman Manny V. Pangilinan, SBP vice chairman Ricky Vargas and National Youth Commission chairman Nic Jorge.

Herrera and his coaching staff had conducted Metro-wide tryouts where the top 60 were chosen from a field of over 400 for his initial pool of players. Similar tryouts have also been conducted in Davao, with Cebu and Luzon the next stops before he finalizes the list of 48 players in the developmental pool.

Under the plan, the 48 players will be divided into four teams which will compete in mini-tournaments among themselves to hone their skills and eventually serve as their final tryouts for the 13-under national team. The team will compete in Singapore in February this year and in Florida in June.

“I’m very excited for this league because with the support of Mr. Pangilinan and the whole management of SBP, the dreams of these young boys can come true” said Herrera, two-time champion of the Jr. PBA league and assistant coach of the PBL’s Burger Kings.

The league is expected to start this month.

“This is just a friendly competition among the four teams we created. This will prepare the kids for the upcoming leagues that we intend to join. There is no definite schedule yet as to the opening of the league. We will announce it as soon as we have finalized everything,” Herrera said.

onggok
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Is somebody here know the son of Arlan yu and leah andanar yu and how tall is the kid?. I asked this Question because both parents of this kid very tall (Arlan is 6'5 and Leah is 5'11),so there is a big possibility their son is taller too.

D_I_A
01-12-2009, 12:26 AM
RP Under-13 games part of PBA schedule
Updated January 12, 2009 12:00 AM
Philstar

Photo is loading...
National 13-under coach Mark Herrera (left) with SBP national youth chairman Nic Jorge, PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios and PBA operations chief Rickie Santos.

Members of the training pool for the 13-under national team will have the chance to show their skills in a tournament to be held on four consecutive Sundays before the PBA regular games.

In a meeting with national 13-under coach Mark Herrera and officials of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios approved the staging of the tournament which will serve as the final selection process for the formation of the national team that will compete in Florida, USA in June-July.

“We greatly appreciate the PBA’s pledge to support our grassroots program,” said Herrera. “This is important for the kids as it will give them a venue to show their skills and for the coaching staff to choose the 12-man team.”

Herrera, assistant coach of the Burger Kings in the PBL, was coach of two-time Jr. PBA champion Talk N Text.

“I’m happy and thankful to be partnering with PBA again. They had given me the chance to coach a great team, the Jr. Talk N Text team, the past two years, and now, they’ve invited us to play before the regular PBA games so the kids can experience how it is to play in the big league.”

“I also would like to thank the support of SBP chairman Manny V. Pangilinan, vice-chairman Ricky Vargas and executive director Noli Eala. They want the best for the kids, so they’re giving them the best,” Herrera added.

D_I_A
01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
PBA gives under-13
program helping hand
Malaya
1/19/2009

THE pro league is helping some young cagers realize their dreams by supporting the BAP-SBP’s 13-under program.

The PBA stressed this by helping stage the Talk N Text-sponsored initial tryouts for the national team seeing action in the Youth Basketball of America State Championship this June in Florida.

"We are only too glad to help the country’s youths, who are incidentally the thrust of our theme this year, ‘PBA para sa Batang Pinoy,’" Commissioner Sonny Barrios said in an impromptu press conference also attended by project director Nic Jorge yesterday.

"We are very thankful to the PBA and to Talk N Text, especially Mr. Ricky Vargas, for their help in our undertaking," said Jorge, the SBP’s youth commission chief.

"The Youth Basketball is a very prestigious tournament, featuring the state champions of the US," added Jorge. "To be invited there is a great privilege and a golden chance for our youngsters to get the feel of international play at a young age."

In the tryouts, to be held at the PBA venues on four consecutive Sundays starting yesterday, 48 players from Metro Manila have been formed into four teams. The final 12 making up the RP Team will come from them.

Jorge, however, did not discount the possibility of further alterations in the RP Team to be handled by coach Mark Herrera.

"We also intend to hold more tryouts in the provinces and if some players there are good enough, then they could be inserted into the national lineup," he said.

Among those who have joined the tryouts are the sons of former PBA stars Benjie Paras, Vergel Meneses, Glen Capacio and Bong Ravena.

aircanda
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
nanood ako ng mga games nila yesterday.. im impressed with those kids.. magagaleng na sila.. special mention ko sila Gamboa, M. Nieto, Cabural, Mendoza, Dizon, Tongco, Ravena, Capacio.. sana mapolish sila ng husto..

pero sa napanood ko kahapon.. natanong ko sarili ko if all those 48 kids really deserve to be on that final 48? Yung iba kasi parang andun lang dahil may kapit? Sorry, pero sana di ako mamisinterpret.

D_I_A
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
nanood ako ng mga games nila yesterday.. im impressed with those kids.. magagaleng na sila.. special mention ko sila Gamboa, M. Nieto, Cabural, Mendoza, Dizon, Tongco, Ravena, Capacio.. sana mapolish sila ng husto..

pero sa napanood ko kahapon.. natanong ko sarili ko if all those 48 kids really deserve to be on that final 48? Yung iba kasi parang andun lang dahil may kapit? Sorry, pero sana di ako mamisinterpret.

i agree with you dude, puro nga taga NCR eh, sana man lang meron pa rin pumasok galing sa Mindanao, Visayas and Northern and Central Luzon. bilang lang sa daliri ang mga galing sa provinces.

sana mag expand pa ang NBTC.

onggok
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM

i agree with you dude, puro nga taga NCR eh, sana man lang meron pa rin pumasok galing sa Mindanao, Visayas and Northern and Central Luzon. bilang lang sa daliri ang mga galing sa provinces.

sana mag expand pa ang NBTC. Is very alarming because all or almost they selected from NCR. Both under 13 and under 16 the majority of the players from NCR. I understand the players from NCR are more advances, but I thought the SBP are looking
more potential players and if they are looking more upside player they should go to the provinces and if they are looking for players who will be ready to play now picked the right players. But for me they should go to the provinces because the future of the Philippines is in the provinces.

D_I_A
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM

sana mag expand pa ang NBTC. Is very alarming because all or almost they selected from NCR. Both under 13 and under 16 the majority of the players from NCR. I understand the players from NCR are more advances, but I thought the SBP are looking
more potential players and if they are looking more upside player they should go to the provinces and if they are looking for players who will be ready to play now picked the right players. But for me they should go to the provinces because the future of the Philippines is in the provinces.

sana lang walang palakasan, porke anak ba ni ganito eh, talagang maglaling na? baka pag nakipaglaro yan sa mga tambay sa kalye ng tondo or kung san sa buong Pinas eh,iiyak sya pag nakanti sya ng kaunti, kasi di naman pala court smart, puro skills lang kasi.

i hope the SBP-NBTC headed by Altamirano, Compton and company will scour the provinces seriously, ang dami pa diyan, di lang nabibigyan ng opportunity.Siguro dahil ito sa palakasan, isinisiksik kasi ng mga tatay nila na dating player sa mga liga ang mga anak sa mga kumpare, bestfriend, kaibigan, kamag-anak or boss na may connection sa SBP-NBTC.

SBP-NBTC must not fall to same fate like the BAP's corrupt grassroots program.

nardy
01-28-2009, 05:10 PM

sana lang walang palakasan, porke anak ba ni ganito eh, talagang maglaling na? baka pag nakipaglaro yan sa mga tambay sa kalye ng tondo or kung san sa buong Pinas eh,iiyak sya pag nakanti sya ng kaunti, kasi di naman pala court smart, puro skills lang kasi.

i hope the SBP-NBTC headed by Altamirano, Compton and company will scour the provinces seriously, ang dami pa diyan, di lang nabibigyan ng opportunity.Siguro dahil ito sa palakasan, isinisiksik kasi ng mga tatay nila na dating player sa mga liga ang mga anak sa mga kumpare, bestfriend, kaibigan, kamag-anak or boss na may connection sa SBP-NBTC.

SBP-NBTC must not fall to same fate like the BAP's corrupt grassroots program.

ang problema open tryout ito, ilang months before paulit-ulit nag-announce about said tryout. Pero sila ang dumating. Sila ang interisado. Yung mga iba naman di pinayagan ng magulang at eskwelahan. So anu pa ba ang magagawa ng SBP.

O anung dapat gawin kung magaling nga yung bata pero sabi ng magulang e gusto nila e mag-aral muna yung bata at saka na yang basketbol.

aircanda
01-29-2009, 02:59 AM
sana, sa huling cut. Yung mga deserving lang talaga ang makukuha. At magiging competitive pag lumaban sa ibang mga bansa. Maganda kasi na ngayong bata pa lang sila eh masanay na sila ng husto

coacht
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Any update on this team?

aircanda
02-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Any update on this team?

I think punta sila ng Singapore this March for a tune up game..

D_I_A
02-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Any update on this team?

I think punta sila ng Singapore this March for a tune up game..

wow ayos yan! good luck!

coacht
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Meron na bang line up/

CrossOver
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Updated February 26, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The chase for six berths in the Jr. NBA Philippines team resumes tomorrow with 40 kids battling it out in the three-day intensive training at the Jr. NBA National Training Camp at the Jose Rizal University gym in Mandaluyong City.

The Jr. NBA National Training Camp, under US Jr. NBA coach Frank Lopez, is the final stage of the Jr. NBA Philippines presented by Hi-Smart, which had its regional selection camps in Cebu and Manila recently.

Mark Fischer, managing director of NBA Asia, Ltd., and US Ambassador Kristie Kenney will be the special guests of the Jr. NBA National Training Camp.

Twenty kids from the Visayas aged 12 to 14 years old and the same number from Manila and Luzon provinces slug it out for six berths in Jr. NBA training camp as they go through man-sized conditioning work and skills development stations,* *among others.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=443618&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

D_I_A
04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
RP U-13 joins Fil-Oil MVP Jr Cup
Updated April 20, 2009 12:00 AM
Philstar

MANILA, Philippines - The RP Youth Under-13 of head coach Mark Herrera is joining the Fil-Oil Flying V MVP Juniors Cup as part of its continuing preparation for international competitions.

The national youth players make their debut in the pre-season tournament against Lourdes School of Mandaluyong on Thursday.

The U-13 team, which won two games in a three-game goodwill series recently in Singapore, is also competing as guest team in the Jr. PBA tournament set to start April 29.

“These competitions will certainly help the team in its preparation for the American Youth Basketball Association in July,” said Herrera, incoming coach of the UE Junior Warriors in the UAAP.

McCoy
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
re: sa pagpili sa U-13 at U-16 team, no choice tyo kundi mga taga NCR ang kunin kahit maraming magaling sa mga probinsya hindi talaga papayaan ng mga magulang na malayo sa kanila mga anak nila sa ganyan edad. bka mapariwa lng dito sa manila or silawin sa pera ni Eala. bka alukin rin ng kontata.

Magagaling naman yun mga bata rito lalo na yun Ravena, Capacio sama pa si Ray Parks.

and speaking of palakasan ask nyo yun coach ng U-13 na si Herrera, magaling sa ganon style yun malakas sumipsip sa mga magulang ng player U-13 yun pra may mahuthutan sya

CrossOver
05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Members of u13 RP Squad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUhnT_hpDwQ)

CrossOver
05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.philstar.com/images/logo_PStar.gif

Imus cagers test RP U-13
Updated May 31, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines – The Imus Sports Council under Mayor Manny Maliksi invited the RP Youth U-13 of coach Mark Herrera to play against the Imus U-15 at the Imus Town Plaza today.

The team is composed of Mark Gamboa, Sheik Cariño, Martin Dizon, Enzo Mercado, Mark Framil, Andre Paras, Enzo Subido, Reymar Baquial, Gabe Capacio, Arvin Tolentino, Anton Lim, Carlos Lopeña, Hubert Cani, and Rag Tongco.

“This is another opportunity for the RP Youth U-13 to showcase their talents. These kids have been practicing hard for these kinds of tournaments. We have been joining different junior leagues to prepare the boys for international competitions,” said Herrera, coach of the Jr Talk N Text-QC team, grand slam champion of the Batang PBA tournament and winner of the 2009 Powerade Jr. PBA national championship.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=473014&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

CrossOver
05-31-2009, 09:24 AM

Batang PBA arousing success
By Joaquin M. Henson

For some 60 wide-eyed kids, the chance to play in the four-way Powerade National Batang PBA Finals in Manila was a dream come true.

The magical ride ended Friday with the top two teams disputing the first national championship but the memories will be forever etched in the minds of the boys who are likely to become the next generation’s hardcourt heroes.

The Batang PBA program was launched in 2004 to reach out to the youth and rebuild the league’s fan base for the years to come. It addresses the problem of tomorrow by securing the future today.

In the first five years, the Batang PBA was confined to Metro Manila where the 10 PBA franchises adopted cities and municipalities to form a 10-team league. The 10 participating teams were supplied with replica PBA jerseys and carried the names of their PBA benefactors as in the Quezon City-Batang Talk ‘N’ Text Tropang Texters.

This year, PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios decided to go nationwide, taking off from the success of the Metro Manila formula. The 10 PBA franchises adopted a maximum of 10 teams in each of the four regional tournaments in Metro Manila, Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Designated to host the Luzon leg was Baguio, the Visayas leg Bacolod and the Mindanao leg Cagayan de Oro.

PBA special assistant to the commissioner and media bureau chief Willie Marcial said the league’s partners organized the regional meets in Baguio, Bacolod and Cagayan de Oro while the PBA itself took care of the Metro Manila leg.

The three winners of the non-Metro Manila legs were flown in by the PBA to participate in the Batang PBA Finals that started last Tuesday. The players, coaches and even some parents were billeted in hotels with food and transportation expenses all covered by the PBA. The Bacolod, Baguio and Cagayan de Oro champions wore the colors of their sponsor Burlington socks.

Last Thursday, the Batang PBA finalists were given to a tour of the Burlington plant, courtesy of Rudy Tan. The kids were treated like stars and they enjoyed every second of the visit, taking home lots of giveaways and of course, basketball socks.

Defending back-to-back-to-back Metro Manila champion Quezon City-Batang Talk ‘N’ Text, coached by Mark Herrera, took the first-ever national title, beating Burlington Bacolod in the finals. Among Herrrera’s players were the sons of Olsen Racela, Danny Ildefonso and Allan Gregorio.

Each team was composed of 15 boys in the 9-12 age range. To level the playing field, the PBA required each team to enlist up to four nine-year-olds (one in the reserve list) and three 12-year-olds.

In the Metro Manila leg, the teams with their PBA affiliates were Pasay-Barangay Ginebra, Caloocan-Burger King, San Juan-Rain Or Shine, Cainta-Sta. Lucia Realty, Quezon City-Talk ‘N’ Text, Quezon City-Alaska, Marikina-Barako Bull, San Pedro-Coca-Cola, Antipolo-Purefoods and Taytay-San Miguel Beer.

Norman Black served as the Batang PBA commissioner with PBA supervisor of officials Ramil Cruz as overall-in-charge.

Clearly, the Batang PBA concept has brought the league closer to tomorrow’s market and established a strong connection with the kids of today and the paying customers of the future. But more than the commercial aspect, it’s the PBA’s special way of being relevant, caring for the youth and spreading goodwill through sports.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=473026&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

D_I_A
05-31-2009, 12:34 PM

Batang PBA arousing success
By Joaquin M. Henson

For some 60 wide-eyed kids, the chance to play in the four-way Powerade National Batang PBA Finals in Manila was a dream come true.

The magical ride ended Friday with the top two teams disputing the first national championship but the memories will be forever etched in the minds of the boys who are likely to become the next generation’s hardcourt heroes.

The Batang PBA program was launched in 2004 to reach out to the youth and rebuild the league’s fan base for the years to come. It addresses the problem of tomorrow by securing the future today.

In the first five years, the Batang PBA was confined to Metro Manila where the 10 PBA franchises adopted cities and municipalities to form a 10-team league. The 10 participating teams were supplied with replica PBA jerseys and carried the names of their PBA benefactors as in the Quezon City-Batang Talk ‘N’ Text Tropang Texters.

This year, PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios decided to go nationwide, taking off from the success of the Metro Manila formula. The 10 PBA franchises adopted a maximum of 10 teams in each of the four regional tournaments in Metro Manila, Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Designated to host the Luzon leg was Baguio, the Visayas leg Bacolod and the Mindanao leg Cagayan de Oro.

PBA special assistant to the commissioner and media bureau chief Willie Marcial said the league’s partners organized the regional meets in Baguio, Bacolod and Cagayan de Oro while the PBA itself took care of the Metro Manila leg.

The three winners of the non-Metro Manila legs were flown in by the PBA to participate in the Batang PBA Finals that started last Tuesday. The players, coaches and even some parents were billeted in hotels with food and transportation expenses all covered by the PBA. The Bacolod, Baguio and Cagayan de Oro champions wore the colors of their sponsor Burlington socks.

Last Thursday, the Batang PBA finalists were given to a tour of the Burlington plant, courtesy of Rudy Tan. The kids were treated like stars and they enjoyed every second of the visit, taking home lots of giveaways and of course, basketball socks.

Defending back-to-back-to-back Metro Manila champion Quezon City-Batang Talk ‘N’ Text, coached by Mark Herrera, took the first-ever national title, beating Burlington Bacolod in the finals. Among Herrrera’s players were the sons of Olsen Racela, Danny Ildefonso and Allan Gregorio.

Each team was composed of 15 boys in the 9-12 age range. To level the playing field, the PBA required each team to enlist up to four nine-year-olds (one in the reserve list) and three 12-year-olds.

In the Metro Manila leg, the teams with their PBA affiliates were Pasay-Barangay Ginebra, Caloocan-Burger King, San Juan-Rain Or Shine, Cainta-Sta. Lucia Realty, Quezon City-Talk ‘N’ Text, Quezon City-Alaska, Marikina-Barako Bull, San Pedro-Coca-Cola, Antipolo-Purefoods and Taytay-San Miguel Beer.

Norman Black served as the Batang PBA commissioner with PBA supervisor of officials Ramil Cruz as overall-in-charge.

Clearly, the Batang PBA concept has brought the league closer to tomorrow’s market and established a strong connection with the kids of today and the paying customers of the future. But more than the commercial aspect, it’s the PBA’s special way of being relevant, caring for the youth and spreading goodwill through sports.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=473026&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

may NBTC na di ba?

is this another tournament?

CrossOver
05-31-2009, 11:03 PM
may NBTC na di ba?

is this another tournament?

Yeah another tournament organized by PBA every summer ito for u13 yr. old
Yung NBTC hindi ba pang u16?

aircanda
06-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Mga Sir. Balita ko cinancel daw ni Eala ang U13 program? Kung totoo.. sayang naman ang pagod, pera at effort ng mga bata...

runtime68
08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
yes I agree! sayang naman ang pagod ng mga bata kung totoong di na tuloy ang program para RP Youth 13-U! sana matuloy pa din.....Sana maglabas sila ng official statement regarding the status of the program.

onggok
08-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I felt sad when I heard that SBP canceled the 13 under program.The SBP need to find a player who's work ethics is like of Manny Pacquio. An article I read says to become good or almost 100 percent perfect in any kind of sport at least you need to spend 8,000 hours in practice (in years maybe 8-7 years).On my observation, the RP National Team is lacking of true shooters like Bongs Adornado, Atoy Co, Ricardo Brown and Allan Caidic.If I'm the Sy's of National univ.I will create a Farm systems and I will recruit young poor kids in the province (9 years old ) and promise them scholarships and allowance. Most of the juniors and seniors national teams came from middle class that is why they don't work or practice hard. The SBP need to creat long program for our national team (at least 10 years).