PDA

View Full Version : Toroman's National Team

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

kerouac82
12-03-2010, 01:50 PM
^^^ Rab, is that Christian Standhardinger you are referring to, who plays for Nebraska in the US NCAA? Hasn't he already played for the German Youth Team? Under FIBA rules that means he can't play for the Philippines anymore, right?

Standhardinger can still play for the Philippines, provided that the German federation gives its consent. There has been a precedent with Jordan's Jamal Maaytah, who previously played with Germany's U-18 team.

kerouac82
12-03-2010, 01:51 PM
i read in the interbasket forums that tyler lamb of ucla is also fil-am. tyler was a 4-star recruit as opposed to rayray who's 3-star. in terms of credentials, our fil-ams shoudl be improving because they're starting to play in major conferences (parks-ACC, lamb-Pac10, lutz-Big 10 and Conference USA, standhardinger-Big 8, pringle-Big 10).

Tyler Lamb is reportedly half-Thai, as confirmed by a Fil-Am teammate of his in HS.

yungha
12-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Waiting in the wings are Chris Banchero and Christian Standhardinger
so we would have: 8 fil-foreigners (none of whom grew up here, and one even played for another national team), 1 naturalized citizen, then tiu, casio, baracael, and japeth. then there's parks and pringle. well at least the SG pool is increasing.

whether we send gilas or pba players, we should accept that there'll be 6 or more fil-fors on the team at any given time. if we send pba players, we can expect to once again tap the likes of norwood, williams, asi, menk, dillinger, thoss and pennisi plus other strong candidates like washington and maybe devance. i don't really consider guys like alapag and mercado fil-ams because they're full-blooded pinoys who just happened to grow up abroad.

agdlc
12-04-2010, 03:10 AM
yeah it's just that the naive fan in me wants to be indulged. fans find it easier to support players they can relate with, like how ateneans cheer for the blue eagles and not the other uaap teams, or how bostonians cheer for the celtics. even just watching a player for a few years while knowing their backstories helps- everyone should be a fan of rommel adducul, for example.

still, i understand the necessity of transfusing foreign blood into the SG system. :) plenty of time to become a fan of the new talent.

shyboy
02-20-2011, 07:43 AM
With Toroman's plan to bring in PBA players to his team, it goes without saying the Smart-Gilas experiment is a big failure.

oca
02-21-2011, 07:40 AM
The problem of the Smart-Gilas program was it gave itself a very short time period to achieve the goals they set for themselves.

They aimed to play in the 2012 Olympics, but the program started only in 2008. Too high a goal to accomplish within one Olympic cycle.

They had the NCC template to follow but when Ron Jacobs was hired to start the program in 1980 there was no talk of making the Olympics in 1984. The aim at the start was to regain supremacy in Asia. Period.

Itong Gilas, iba. Olympics agad!

Now, they have to ask the PBA for players because it is clear the team is not developing fast enough to be competitive for the Olympic qualifiers.

In a few days, makikita natin ang Gilas sa PBA in a competitive setting. Makikilatis natin ang team. We are familiar with almost all of the Pinoys in this team. We should remember how they played before they joined Gilas in late 2008. Compare their games pre-Gilas to today and see how they have developed.

2009.. 2010... ngayong 2011, commendable ba ang improvements ng bawat isa?

clutchjedi
07-07-2011, 09:48 AM
The 4 groups for the tournament were drawn yesterday. (Included FIBA men's ranking & FIBA Asia 2009 finish below.)

PHI should be able to make the Final 8. The challenge in our half of the draw is to beat out Jordan and Japan for 2nd seed behind China, to make our playoff path [a bit] easier and improve our chances of advancing.

Group A
24 Lebanon (4)
31 Korea (7)
70 Malaysia
TBD Middle Asia 1 (South) : India/Sri Lanka/Nepal/Bangladesh

Group B
20 Iran (1)
29 Qatar (6)
41 Chinese Taipei (5)
TBD Middle Asia 2 (North/"-stan") : Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan/Afghanistan/Turkmenistan

Group C
32 Jordan (3)
33 Japan (10)
58 Syria
63 Indonesia

Group D
10 China (2)
53 Philippines (8)
67 UAE (12)
... Bahrain

If the usual format is followed:
Top 3 of Group A & B advance to Group E (6 teams)
Top 3 of Group C & D advance to Group F (6 teams)
Then top 4 of Group E & F advance to crossover Final 8 (E1-F4, E2-F3, etc)

Possible final 8...
Group A+B: IRI LIB KOR TPE/QAT
Group C+D: CHN PHI JOR JPN

Mel
07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
It's hard to believe that Indonesia (#50) is ranked ahead of RP.

clutchjedi
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
^ That's just because of the 8-year cycle FIBA uses, where they were earning ranking points for participating in the FIBA-Asia while we were not (due to suspension). That should change soon :)

India pala yung 50 not Indonesia (63). Sorry, good catch. :D

bydpogi
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
MANILA—Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant may bring their fabled cage acts to Philippine shores if negotiations to bring an NBA All-Star Selection to play against Smart Gilas Pilipinas succeeds.
Sources said officials of Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas has already forwarded an offer for the NBA Stars to meet the Gilas five in exhibition matches set on July 25 and 26 at the Araneta Coliseum.
Rose, the reigning NBA MVP from the Chicago Bulls, and Durant, the NBA’s back-to-back scoring king from the Oklahoma Thunder, may be joined by slam dunk king and Rookie of the Year Blake Griffin of the LA Clippers, the source added.

The tuneup matches, the source said, is a treat for fans courtesy of SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan, who is celebrating his birthday on July 14.

Expected to join Rose, Durant and Griffin are Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Andrei Iguodala of the Philadelphia 76ers and Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat.

According to the source, the invitation was sent after the start of the NBA lockout last week following the failure of team owners and players to reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

Reports said that Talk ‘N Text coach Chot Reyes has been spearheading the negotiations with former NBA star Chris Webber. The two met when MVP’s group went to the US recently to explore plans of buying into the Sacramento Kings franchise.

Smart Gilas coach Rajko Toroman welcomed the prospect of playing the NBA stars, saying the Nationals need many international games prior to their stint in the Fiba Asia Championship on Sept. 15-25 in Wuhan, China, which offers the lone continental ticket to the 2012 London Olympics.

http://sports.inquirer.net/7156/nba-...art-gilas-five

Thoughts ???

Mel
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
^ Kobe is apparently joining this crack NBA team

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/8300/kobe-durant-d-rose-to-play-against-smart-gilas-pba-selection#.ThvzFzJujsI.facebook

nash_bedista
07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
buti pa si kobe, may time talaga na pumunta sa Philippines unlike ehem .. "The Choosen One" ..

sorry for OT :D

RedArmyColonel
07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Ranidel is expected to tryout with Gilas. He'll be included in the lineup in their game against the NBA stars.

genom222
07-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Good job by our National team for playing a good games against a team of top NBA players! Holding them under 100 pts in an "exhibition" game is truly something! This is definitely a confidence booster for them.

Mabuhay Gilas!

rabbaddal
07-31-2011, 07:43 PM
On another front, it has been reported that Lassiter and Lutz will be leaving Gilas to join the PBA draft after the Olympic qualifiers. That will be a setback for Gilas, especially since Lutz is only now starting to gel with the team and is turning out to be a very effective player.

bydpogi
08-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Jones Cup Update

Phi 73
Iran 59

Douthit scored 24pts and played solid defense on Haddadi
Philippines out rebounded Iran 35 - 27
Blocks Phi 8 (Japeth with 4 blks)

Go Gilas!!!

maroonmartian
08-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Sana magtuloy tuloy ito. We need that gold to automatically play in the Olympics. A bronze for us to enter the qualiers.

China, maghanda na kayo.

maroonmartian
08-08-2011, 06:56 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/10653/smart-gilas-pilipinas-sustains-lethal-form-against-chinese-taipei-for-2-0-start-in-jones-cup

Smart Gilas Pilipinas sustains lethal form against Chinese Taipei for 2-0 start in Jones Cup

The scores:
SMART GILAS 90- Douthit 23, Aguilar 12, Casio 10, Hontiveros 9, Lassiter 9, Lutz 9, Tiu 8, Baracael 8, Barroca 2, Taulava 0, Ababou 0.
CHINESE TAIPER 78- Hsin 17, Wen 14, Chih 13, Cheng 9, Shou 8, I Chieh 7, Chin 6, Tsung 2, Chia 2,Douglas 0, Po 0, Hsueh 0
Quarterscores: 21-17; 49-36; 72-58; 90-78

2-0 na tayo. Pero I wouldn't count if we don't win in the FIBA Asia Championship.

abcdef
08-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Guarded optimism. . .*excited deep inside* :P

bigfreeze_bibby
08-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Smart-Gilas lost to Jordan earlier today by four points. Sayang. Jordan stay unbeaten in the tournament.

maroonmartian
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Smart-Gilas lost to Jordan earlier today by four points. Sayang. Jordan stay unbeaten in the tournament.

Paghandaan na natin sila. Kumbaga FilOil pa lang yang Jones Cup. Yung FIBA Asia ang UAAP tourney.

May nice article from http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/toroman-filipinos-are-the-craziest-basketball-fans-in-the-world

Toroman: Filipinos are the craziest basketball fans in the world
Reynaldo Belen

For Rajko Toroman, the well-traveled coach of the SMART-Gilas Pilipinas national team, there are no fans in the world quite like the Philippines’ hoops-loving populace.

“Their passion for the game is unique,” said the Serbian Toroman, who has spent the last three years in the country. “I’ve never seen any basketball fans as crazy as the Filipinos.”

Toroman describes the Philippines as his second home: he loves the surroundings, the people, and the culture.

“I am enjoying my stay here, which is why my family is also staying with me,” said Toroman, who steered the Iran national basketball team to its first FIBA-Asia Championship in 2007 and its first Olympic stint, three years ago in Beijing.

But Toroman says that in Iran, love for football still dominates despite the national squad’s success in basketball.

“When you go to Iran, you will see 23 different sports newspapers, the first 15 pages were all football,” he said. “That’s why, we were so fortunate that when we won the championship in 2007, we were at the front page of one of the sports newspapers, because it’s rare they give special feature on basketball. Iran is a football nation.”

Olympic dream

Toroman has seen the basketball passion of Pinoy fans first-hand — and he loves it. He’s been in every arena for every major basketball tournament.

“I come to watch games because I love it. Basketball is like a way of life for me,” said Toroman.

But being in a basketball-crazy has its challenges, especially for the man charged with steering the Philippine national team to make it back to the Olympics after five decades.

“For the Filipinos, basketball is like a way of life, too and it’s so disappointing for them when the Philippine basketball team loses its games,” added Toroman. “This is a big challenge for me and I’d like to reward these people who truly loves basketball.”

But Toroman is aware on the bumpy roads his team will certainly encounter as soon as they step their foot on Chinese soil in September for the FIBA-Asia Championship, which serves as the qualifier for the 2012 London Olympics.

“Our chances depend on how well the PBA players can blend quickly with us. We want to play as many games as possible involving them so we can establish team chemistry. But we have a pretty good chance as soon as we develop chemistry,” said Toroman.

The future is now

For Toroman and the rest of his team, the FIBA-Asia Championship will be the make-or-break tournament.

“My contract ends on October 15 of this year,” revealed Toroman. “If we go to the Olympics, my contract will be extended for one more year. If we don’t go there, then it’s really up to MVP (Manny V. Pangilinan) if he will continue the program or not.”

This early, several players have already made themselves available for the coming PBA Rookie Draft, among them Filipino-American players Chris Lutz and Marcio Lassiter. Even team captain Chris Tiu, and stalwarts Dylan Ababou and Jayvee Casio are contemplating turning pro.

Still, the Serbian mentor remains unperturbed.

“We’re not looking at the future. We are focused on only one thing, which is the FIBA-Asia Championship in September,” said Toroman.

Pinoy coaching, according to Rajko

While basketball has become a global phenomenon, Toroman noticed that the NBA continues to be the biggest influence for Filipino coaches.

“Filipino coaching style is similar to the NBA and our system is different from them,” Toroman said. “Ours is more of a European style. We are playing within a system and players should be smart enough to embrace the system or they will be left out.”

“We call our system like a military system, a system that entails discipline and players should learn on tactical things.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kumbaga tayong England national football team sa basketball. Great passion for basketball but always falling short.

pio_valenz
08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Parang nag brain freeze si Lassiter kanina, trying to call a timeout when the ball had already been given to him to inbound. Sa PBA or NBA lang pwede yun. Then there was that careless stepping out of bounds violation with 37 ticks to play and Gilas down by only 2. Then after forcing a bad Jordan shot, he grabs the rebound but can't hold on to it. Tough night for him.

genom222
08-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Alam ko na bakit natalo tayo kanina... puro "JORDAN" kasi yung last name nun mga players kanina, malupet talaga yun! ;D

rabbaddal
08-09-2011, 12:56 AM
/\/\

Well Sam Daghles really played like Jordan during that game.

genom222
08-09-2011, 02:59 AM
/\/\

Well Sam Daghles really played like Jordan during that game.

was he the one who made that tough fadeaway kanina? yup Jordan-like nga :)

rabbaddal
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
/\/\

He's the #10. You'll notice he got penetrations that drew the defense and fouls.

pio_valenz
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Just an 18-point win by SG over Malaysia as Coach RT decided to sit out Douthit and Casio. The South Korean coach Hur Jae scouted the game so Toroman kept his cards close to his chest.

kerouac82
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Did anyone see that altercation between Taulava and the Malaysian version of Jens Knuttel?

pio_valenz
08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
^It was replayed from a far camera angle so it was difficult to see what exactly happened. But from what I saw, pa-simpleng sinapak ng Malaysian si Asi. They were at the left side of the basket, and when they turned to approach the basket, the Malaysian, with his back turned to Asi, drove his fist into Asi's crown jewels. Asi fell to the floor in pain, then got up and hammered the Malaysian twice.

Not sure yet if he'll be suspended for the game vs. SoKor tomorrow.

genom222
08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
there is a replay right now in Channel 16 (destiny) AKTV. 3rd quarter na, lapit na yung boxing hehe

genom222
08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
mejo OT: Jordan got beat by Chinese Taipei???? Did we beat them earlier? And Jordan is on the verge of another defeat at the hands of Japan! What happened to them? Now I'm more upset that we didn't beat them (Jordan) last time.

Japan looks like a dangerous team, they play well together so we better watch out!

bchoter
08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
We lost to to the sokors by 8 points. The loss laid to waste Casio's great game :(

rabbaddal
08-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Gilas doesn't play a lot of games against East Asian teams whose style is different from Middle Eastern teams, so it hasn't found a way to deal with Korea yet. Consider that it took many failed outings against Iran/Marham (plus an ex-coach of Iran) before they found a way to beat them. Hopefully SG makes it to the semis and faces Korea again there so it has the chance to familiarize itself with Korea some more going into Wuhan.

We saw in this game that Korea has a tremendous advantage when it comes to jump shots. Their guards and wingmen can hit the jumpers even with small openings with a man in front of them, or in the middle of the pick and roll. Gilas on the other hand is constrained to moving the ball around until someone is sufficiently open. This limits Gilas' options in the perimeter. I think among the Gilas players, only Casio, Douthit and Lassiter, and to a limited extent, Barocca, are capable of hitting difficult jump shots - none of them are wingmen, which is bad because guards and centers shouldn't be carrying the bulk of the scoring burden. Lutz, Baracael, Tiu and Hontiveros are mostly spot shooters who need a wider opening.

But overall, I think Korea can be beaten even with Gilas' weakness in the jump shot. One tactical mistake in this game was that Douthit was not rested earlier. We saw that Taulava could handle Ha so Taulava should have been brought in sooner. Had they done that, Douthit would not have accumulated so many fouls. Hope they can make that adjustment next time.

Over the long term, the SBP should work harder to develop the jump shooting abilities of Filipino players (especially taller players) so that we have more potent weapons for international tournaments.

pio_valenz
08-10-2011, 09:59 PM
The off-guard position has not produced too much offense. Dondon Hontiveros was brought in precisely to give Gilas an outside shot, but so far he hasn't been converting. He's had a lot of good open looks the past few games. I just hope he recovers his stroke in time for the FIBA-Asia. Outside of the Malaysia game, Chris Tiu has also not been hitting too well from the perimeter.

This game was very winnable, but others needed to step up in the fourth. Casio really looked winded near the end, the result of having to carry too much of the offensive load.

rabbaddal
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Hontiveros and Tiu are mainly spot shooters. They have to be set up and open enough before they can shoot. They will really have difficulty oftentimes because many international teams, especially Korea and China, know how to defend the perimeter well.

Kulang and Philippines sa jump shooters who can convert with a very small opening or even with a man guarding him. That's a log term project that should be addressed by the SBP. One good example is how Adornado taught Rich Alvarez how to do the jump shot well.

kerouac82
08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
The Sokors' big man Oh posted up Baracael a number of times in the last few minutes. Putting in Baracael at PF is a gamble sometimes -- he can create instant offense and can guard players his size to a couple inches taller, but Oh must be at least 6'8". Hopefully, with the arrival of Williams and De Ocampo, Baracael can be made to play the 3.

genom222
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
we won against a dangerous but inexperienced Japan team today 94-78. They were leading by 3 at the start of the 4th 68-65 but we held them to 10pts in the final canto. Japan was also leading by 9 or 10 pts earlier in the 2nd quarter but our experienced showed in the last quarter of the game. Congrats Gilas! It seems like Iran will be our final 4 opponent, I'm sure they will be looking for payback!

rabbaddal
08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
I was hoping they would go up against Korea again so they could have more experience playing against top East Asian teams. They already know how to play against middle eastern teams.

genom222
08-13-2011, 12:20 AM
I was hoping they would go up against Korea again so they could have more experience playing against top East Asian teams. They already know how to play against middle eastern teams.

well if we win against Iran then there is a good chance we will battle Korea in the final, Korea goes against Taiwan in the other final 4 game, malaki chance ng Korea dun based on their last game. For me we need to win the next two game not only to get the Jones cup but also boost confidence for the upcoming Fiba-Asia games.

clutchjedi
08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Too much Hadadi who had 22pts by halftime. :(

Korea vs Iran in the final tomorrow, we face host Taiwan for 3rd place (5pm if I'm not mistaken).

Jeep
09-02-2011, 03:14 PM
i'm not one to keep people from pursuing their dreams. i've got some personal goals myself that i wish i'd be able to achieve, and seeing people unable to reach for their stars is a real drag.

that said, i'm not too ecstatic that our solid core that rose from the varsity ranks have opted to go pro. i understand that, almost to a man, they have said that it's been their childhood dream to play in the PBA. well and good. but what about the country? i thought this gilas team was put together for the sole purpose of bringing the country back into the basketball limelight. and that this could be done best if a core of players from varsity, complemented by good fil-foreigners, were to train together exclusively and compete here and abroad to ensure complete familiarity with each other -- a key ingredient in successful teams, especially in international competition.

is it the pay? i thought the gilas funding was a sure shot for the next 3 years. they can certainly match rookie pay levels in the PBA.

is it the fear of "being left by the boat" -- professionally speaking? that may be so. but if you think about it, the olympics will be held next year. if our national target is to get to london in 2012, then that's barely 11 months from now. what's 11 months in the greater scheme of things? you've already invested the last 2 or 3 years of life in this. why not go all the way?

and if it's this fear of being left by the boat, i think that, on the contrary, your professional stock may in fact rise if you can get the country to make a good showing in the qualifying tournaments at least -- moreso if you can take it all the way.

so now, we have to rebuild again. dunno 'bout you guys, but this certainly does not bode well. sayang. all the resources poured into this effort may now be water under the bridge.

i know there's nothing that can be done about this at this point. just ruing -- and ranting.

genom222
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
i'm not one to keep people from pursuing their dreams. i've got some personal goals myself that i wish i'd be able to achieve, and seeing people unable to reach for their stars is a real drag.

that said, i'm not too ecstatic that our solid core that rose from the varsity ranks have opted to go pro. i understand that, almost to a man, they have said that it's been their childhood dream to play in the PBA. well and good. but what about the country? i thought this gilas team was put together for the sole purpose of bringing the country back into the basketball limelight. and that this could be done best if a core of players from varsity, complemented by good fil-foreigners, were to train together exclusively and compete here and abroad to ensure complete familiarity with each other -- a key ingredient in successful teams, especially in international competition.

is it the pay? i thought the gilas funding was a sure shot for the next 3 years. they can certainly match rookie pay levels in the PBA.

is it the fear of "being left by the boat" -- professionally speaking? that may be so. but if you think about it, the olympics will be held next year. if our national target is to get to london in 2012, then that's barely 11 months from now. what's 11 months in the greater scheme of things? you've already invested the last 2 or 3 years of life in this. why not go all the way?

and if it's this fear of being left by the boat, i think that, on the contrary, your professional stock may in fact rise if you can get the country to make a good showing in the qualifying tournaments at least -- moreso if you can take it all the way.

so now, we have to rebuild again. dunno 'bout you guys, but this certainly does not bode well. sayang. all the resources poured into this effort may now be water under the bridge.

i know there's nothing that can be done about this at this point. just ruing -- and ranting.

agree 100% bro. Sayang lang talaga yung investment sa Gilas the past 3 years, to think that only Douhit and Tiu will be the remaining people from the core group. At this rate di na natin ma-achive yung goals natin for international basketball, kung magsawa si MVP sa funding nyan yari tayo.

pio_valenz
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
^^I hear you, Jeep. But the thing is, the Gilas program has devolved from its original goal: that of being a developmental pool. I talked to one Gilas player who turned pro recently and asked him if he was really pushing through. He said yes, because the team keeps recruiting PBA players anyway, and it pretty much defeats the purpose of having a national pool. It's kind of like, "If you still need me, I'll be in the PBA. Doon din naman kayo kumukuha ng reinforcements eh."

rabbaddal
09-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Jeep,

I think the PBA will make an exception and allow Gilas to remain intact if they qualify for the Olympics. That’s not an issue.

The bigger question is what happens after that. They will need to rebuild for the world championship qualifiers. Buti nalang Slaughter, Ramos, Parks and Keifer are already in the orbit. They really need to form a second team like what the other countries have done, so they can find replacements quickly in case people leave or get injured. It will also allow them to develop players who have potential but are not quite ready. Ateneo has done this with its team B. China even has 3 national teams.

As for me, I think it’s actually a good thing for them to turn pro. The PBA badly needs an infusion of players with good fundamentals. We haven’t seen that since the NCC era. Over time, PBA players will be forced to develop good fundamentals whether or not they came from the NT, and the NT likewise will have a wider population of players to tap. Kahit sina Hadadi, Bahrami, Fahed, Stevenson at Yi may mga pro clubs na inuuwian after their NT tours.

nardy
09-04-2011, 11:38 PM
SMART GILAS -PHL Tune-up Games @ San Juan Arena: Sept8 - PHL v QAT (7pm), Sept10 - PHL v JOR (7pm) & Sept11 - PHL v QAT (7pm). Its free admission so I am inviting everybody to come and watch your Team Pilipinas. Do come and cheer for your team as this might be the last time you'll see them play together here in Manila. We need to show them our support before they go to war at Wuhan. Do invite all basketball fans to watch, lets show that even if we cannot be with them in China, in Spirit we are there for them.

Everybody is welcome .... may you be a die-hard fan or a hard-nose critic of SMART GILAS. As this is all about TEAM PILIPINAS!

Come with your family, relatives, friends and even your enemies. This is a time that we get united. Show how loud we can get! GO! GO! GO PILIPINAS!

genom222
09-05-2011, 02:56 AM
SMART GILAS -PHL Tune-up Games @ San Juan Arena: Sept8 - PHL v QAT (7pm), Sept10 - PHL v JOR (7pm) & Sept11 - PHL v QAT (7pm). Its free admission so I am inviting everybody to come and watch your Team Pilipinas. Do come and cheer for your team as this might be the last time you'll see them play together here in Manila. We need to show them our support before they go to war at Wuhan. Do invite all basketball fans to watch, lets show that even if we cannot be with them in China, in Spirit we are there for them.

Everybody is welcome .... may you be a die-hard fan or a hard-nose critic of SMART GILAS. As this is all about TEAM PILIPINAS!

Come with your family, relatives, friends and even your enemies. This is a time that we get united. Show how loud we can get! GO! GO! GO PILIPINAS!

thanks for the info sir, will definitely watch! :)

bchoter
09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
The way it looks now, Gilas is more in preparation for the pros and the youth/NBTC is more of a search for varsity recruits (sige na nga, these varsity players will then have better opportunity to serve the national team).

Joescoundrel
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd have to agree with Pio and Bchoter here. I can hardly recognize this Gilas program from the one we started with two and a half years ago. Now with what, 10 Gilas guys drafted in the PBA, the roster is down to two holdovers: Marcus Douthit and Chris Tiu. What are we going to do now, beg Greg Slaughter, Junmar Fajardo, Rey Parks and Kiefer Ravena's teams to let them go?

Sam Miguel
09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
It may be time to take stock of how many official FIBA tournaments Gilas has joined, and how many of those we've won. Win-Loss records are the easiest way to determine how a team is faring. If we aren't over .500 at least in official tournament games played, then it may be time to overhaul the whole program. We shouldn't scrap it altogether, but clearly if we haven't won at least half of all games we've played then something must be wrong. Let's identify what is wrong and see of we can fix it. If not we might need to take a look at the whole program and see where it can and should be improved. Getting PBA players for one thing just doesn't sit that well with me. If we're getting guys who are already pros then where is the development we said this program would address? I know there are many factors that affect the overall win-loss record inlcuding good old fashioned dumb luck, but let's face it, if we're not winning, which is after all the goal of taking part in competition, then let's fix whatever it is that is keeping us from winning.

oca
09-06-2011, 12:58 PM
This Gilas program started using the template of the NCC program. But it lack one ingredient NCC had clearly demonstrated which no one will be able to deny--- NCC was loyal to its players and it consequently was reciprocated with the same loyalty from the players.

Bukam-bibig ng Gilas ang NCC template, but after it had set a lofty goal of qualifying for the Olympics so soon and so short in time, it created it's own problem. Matapos nilang magbitaw ng salita, di naglaon ay napagtanto nila di kakayanin ng player development nila na makamit ang kanilang layunin.

Kaya napilitan silang dumulog sa PBA.

Eto ngayon ang mga nagsusumikap na former varsity players biglang inilalaglag sa official line-up ng mga sinasalihang torneo dahil may hugot na PBA player.

Kung ikaw yung nasa kalagayan nung ex-varsity player, bakit ka pa magtyatyaga sa Gilas kung sa pagdating ng malaking torneo ay di ka naman makakasama dahil may hugot sa PBA?

Akyat ka na sa PBA, tutal kung kailangan ka nila pwede ka naman hugutin dun... hwag ka lang mapunta sa isa sa mga koponan ng SMC.

Ngayon, malinaw na pagkatapos ang parating na FIBA-Asia, lansag na ang kasalukuyang Gilas. Kung palaring manalo at mag-qualify sa Olympics, malaking katanungan kung ano ang magiging kabuuan ng line-up sa 2012 gayong ang mga drafted Gilas players ay may kontrata na sa kani-kanilang PBA teams.

Will the PBA unconditionally release the former Gilas players? Will the SMC teams unconditionally release the Gilas players called for NT duties?

Or, will Gilas simply resort to borrowing players they need -- regardless if said player was a former Gilas or not? Kung magkaganito, para lang tayo bumalik sa dati -- bubuo ng NT, pagkatapos ng maikling panahon ay lansag na naman.

Di pa tapos ang FIBA-Asia, pero kung sisipatin mong mabuti ang sitwasyon, walang nangyari sa Gilas dahil walang continuity.

reamily
09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
lets should be not overly nostalgic..

iba kompetisyon noon sa ngayon noong 1985 even Malaysia is a top Asian team and yes we won the Asian cup that timme with at least two americans in the roster

its not true that what will work now will work today ;D

rabbaddal
09-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I'd have to agree with Pio and Bchoter here. I can hardly recognize this Gilas program from the one we started with two and a half years ago. Now with what, 10 Gilas guys drafted in the PBA, the roster is down to two holdovers: Marcus Douthit and Chris Tiu. What are we going to do now, beg Greg Slaughter, Junmar Fajardo, Rey Parks and Kiefer Ravena's teams to let them go?

I don't see a problem with NT players going to the pros. Look at the lineups of all our top competitors in Asia, especially the ME teams, all their players play in pro clubs. Some of them like Fahed, Hadadi, Bahrami, Ha, Wright and Yi even play away from home. I'm not sure why its viewed by some as a success if other countries do it but not quite in the same light if Filipinos do it.

That's been the perennial problem of our pro league. The PBA does not have many players who have the right skills to play international ball, unlike the Iranian and Lebanese leagues. Many Pinoys have lamented the decline in the quality of skills in the PBA - well, Smart Gilas is part of the solution to this and still they are not satisfied.

rabbaddal
09-10-2011, 10:45 PM
This Gilas program started using the template of the NCC program. But it lack one ingredient NCC had clearly demonstrated which no one will be able to deny--- NCC was loyal to its players and it consequently was reciprocated with the same loyalty from the players.

Bukam-bibig ng Gilas ang NCC template, but after it had set a lofty goal of qualifying for the Olympics so soon and so short in time, it created it's own problem. Matapos nilang magbitaw ng salita, di naglaon ay napagtanto nila di kakayanin ng player development nila na makamit ang kanilang layunin.

A few key things you didn't mention in your post, oca.

NCC when it started was not much of a "development" program, nor did it shower loyalty on its players. It was even worse than Smart Gilas on that matter. More than half the team was made of imports, the rest want to Fil-fors like Ricky Brown and Willie Pearson and only a couple of spots went to homeboys Frankie Lim and Yango. There goes the argument that NCC was much more of a developmental program than Gilas.

Next they tried to form an all-local lineup with amateurs like Calma, Austria, Brill and Samboy, just like what Gilas tried to do but over time Jacobs realized this wasn't going to be good enough to beat China, so he rehired 3 imports and bumped off some of the locals. Sounds familiar?

NCC was not immune to turnover as some of the early players like Frankie and Brown left and turned pro.

Over time the arrangement turned out to be good both for the national team, the PBA and Philippine basketball as a whole. With the support of imports, locals like Caidic, Calma, Samboy and Dignadice got to play at the highest levels while the PBA was supplied with a stream of Pinoys with strong fundamentals. Then the critics kept quiet, long after the fact.

oca
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM

A few key things you didn't mention in your post, oca.

NCC when it started was not much of a "development" program, nor did it shower loyalty on its players. It was even worse than Smart Gilas on that matter. More than half the team was made of imports, the rest want to Fil-fors like Ricky Brown and Willie Pearson and only a couple of spots went to homeboys Frankie Lim and Yango. There goes the argument that NCC was much more of a developmental program than Gilas.

Next they tried to form an all-local lineup with amateurs like Calma, Austria, Brill and Samboy, just like what Gilas tried to do but over time Jacobs realized this wasn't going to be good enough to beat China, so he rehired 3 imports and bumped off some of the locals. Sounds familiar?

NCC was not immune to turnover as some of the early players like Frankie and Brown left and turned pro.

Over time the arrangement turned out to be good both for the national team, the PBA and Philippine basketball as a whole. With the support of imports, locals like Caidic, Calma, Samboy and Dignadice got to play at the highest levels while the PBA was supplied with a stream of Pinoys with strong fundamentals. Then the critics kept quiet, long after the fact.

You missed addressing the last point of my whole post; with just two players staying, Douthit and Tiu-- paano ang continuity ng programa?

Build and bust pa rin tulad ng dati at pag bumuo uli huhugot pa rin sa PBA? Anong bago kung gayon?

Para que gumawa pa sila ng programa kuno na babalik din sa dating kalakaran?

Ibinida ang Gilas program to end the old set up of not having a NT team that can be called on short notice. Gilas is suppose to provide a stable list of available talents, at hindi yung nangangapa lahat tuwing may malaking torneo.

May continuity ba sa 2 holdover players?

oca
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
The SBP should declare the Gilas program terminated and instead it will enter into an partnership with the PBA in the formation of the NT. Just as the BAP had then.

Nothing wrong in getting the services of the best talents from the premier basketball league in the country. Just do away with the press release of announcing a new batch of players; then, 3 or 4 months before a big tournament SBP will be sending a letter to the PBA asking for the release of certain players.

oca
09-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Battle-ready Smart Gilas five leaves for Asian joust
By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated September 13, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (4)
SHARE: facebook yahoo! buzz

MANILA, Philippines - Smart Gilas Pilipinas leaves for Wuhan, China this morning, whipped up to fighting form by a three-year training program and firmed up by a naturalized player and four PBA reinforcements that should make them ready for their dream of making it to the 2012 London Olympics.

They depart at 6:30 a.m., hopeful of their chances in the 26th Fiba Asia Championship, the journey that decides their Olympic aspiration.

The Nationals, who have never made the Olympics in over three decades, open their campaign in the Wuhan meet against Bahrain Thursday.

“It will not be easy but we surely are sending the best SBP could put together under the circumstances,” said SBP vice chairman Ricky Vargas.

“One thing I’m sure about is that our players will give it all they have for flag and country. We might spring a few surprises as underdogs against perennial favorites,” Vargas added.

Read more: http://www.philstar.com/sportsarticle.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=69&articleid=726611&keyword=sp_pba

oca
09-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Tatlong taon na ng simulan ang Gilas, ngayon..."circumstances" pa rin?

Aray ko!

But this is our NT team, magdadasal pa rin akong magtagumpay.

bchoter
09-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Tatlong taon na ng simulan ang Gilas, ngayon..."circumstances" pa rin?

Aray ko!

But this is our NT team, magdadasal pa rin akong magtagumpay.
I hope criticism against the program won't be misconstrued as hatred towards the team. Go RP Team pa rin!

eightyfiver
09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Kasama ba si Greg Slaughter sa lumipad papuntang China?

bchoter
09-13-2011, 03:10 PM
He needs to concetrate on his academics pare. Parang si Chot Reyes dati ;)

rabbaddal
09-16-2011, 03:04 AM
You missed addressing the last point of my whole post; with just two players staying, Douthit and Tiu-- paano ang continuity ng programa?

Build and bust pa rin tulad ng dati at pag bumuo uli huhugot pa rin sa PBA? Anong bago kung gayon?

Para que gumawa pa sila ng programa kuno na babalik din sa dating kalakaran?

Ibinida ang Gilas program to end the old set up of not having a NT team that can be called on short notice. Gilas is suppose to provide a stable list of available talents, at hindi yung nangangapa lahat tuwing may malaking torneo.

May continuity ba sa 2 holdover players?

But your premise (about NCC) is wrong, so the rest of your post is illogical. Check your premises first before you make a conclusion.

The SBP should declare the Gilas program terminated and instead it will enter into an partnership with the PBA in the formation of the NT. Just as the BAP had then.

Nothing wrong in getting the services of the best talents from the premier basketball league in the country. Just do away with the press release of announcing a new batch of players; then, 3 or 4 months before a big tournament SBP will be sending a letter to the PBA asking for the release of certain players.

You haven't been following the statements of the SBP. It's always been the intention of the SBP to have a relationship between the NT and the PBA. Ngayon lang kailangan mag-train ng maraming amateurs because there are few players in the PBA today with the right skills for international basketball. As Gilas graduates amateurs into the pros, there will be more available talent to borrow.

Look at all the top teams in Asia. All of them are a mix of pros and upcoming amateurs - Iran, China, Korea, etc. Which brings me to something I've observed with some Filipinos - Bakit kapag ginagawa ng ibang bansa, pinag-hahangaan pero kapag ang Pinoy ang gumawa, hindi pwede?

oca
09-16-2011, 06:04 AM
@rabbadal

saka na ako makikipag-usap sa iyo pag tapos na ang Wuhan. not good to be discussing this when the NT is competing. sa mga ganitong araw dapat nasa competition mismo ang usapan.

The_Big_Cat
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
To earn points and improve our FIBA ranking, we need to qualify in the olympics and world championships. But supposing we don't qualify in the olympics despite a respectable finish here at the FIBA Asia, do we earn points to improve our rankings at least in Asia only?

clutchjedi
09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Yes, we earn some points as long as we participate in FIBA Asia, pero maliit lang yung weight. Per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_World_Rankings),

Weights:
5.0 FIBA World Championship
5.0 Olympic basketball tournaments
1.0 Eurobasket
0.8 FIBA Americas Championship
0.3 FIBA Asia Championship
0.2 FIBA Africa Championship
0.1 FIBA Oceania Championship

Points (which will be multiplied by the corresponding weight) :
50 Gold medal (1st)
40 Silver medal (2nd)
30 Bronze medal (3rd)
15 4th
14 5th
13 6th
and so on...
1 18th and below (participation)

A bronze in the Olympics is worth 150 points (30*5), a bronze in FIBA Asia is worth only 9 points.

So as long as we continuously place better than India, Taiwan, etc. in FIBA Asia, we'll eventually overtake their ranking.

maroonmartian
09-16-2011, 11:14 AM
^It still make we wonder how a WEAK Indian team managed to outrank us. That is ridiculous. But then maybe they soon too many competitions to increase their rankings even if they lose all of the games heavily (I think you wouldn't penalize for that). I also noticed some of the top teams in the Middle East. They played in just one club making them the DE FACTO national club. Maybe Smart Gilas wants to emulate that but there is a fear by some other teams that it would become a Talk and Text team. Gawin na lang development team siguro ang Gilas pero pagbawalan sila maglaro sa PBA (or treat them as a guest team).

Dark Knight
09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
We have to face the sad reality. Whatever analysis, explanations or technicalities...

The Philippine National Team (Gilas or PBA) will not make the Olympics for at least 50 years.

Its that or you can murder me.

And dont brag Nationalism on my face because simply, we dont have what it takes to get there.

genom222
09-16-2011, 09:10 PM
We have to face the sad reality. Whatever analysis, explanations or technicalities...

The Philippine National Team (Gilas or PBA) will not make the Olympics for at least 50 years.

Its that or you can murder me.

And dont brag Nationalism on my face because simply, we dont have what it takes to get there.

I agree bro probably not 50 years pero hindi rin soon... its not just the height disadvantage but it's also the training, preparation and commitment of everyone involved that's hindering us to be successful... we have the skills and love for the game but that's just about it.

rabbaddal
09-17-2011, 01:56 AM
we dont have what it takes to get there.

Folks, they lost to China - a team with 3 NBA players that's played international ball together for years - by just 15 points, and they did that without Lassiter and Lutz. Gilas already beat Iran, as well as Jordan and Qatar - two teams that have played China to the hilt and still people say "we dont have what it takes to get there"? Why is it some people remember the losses more than the victories?

I also noticed some of the top teams in the Middle East. They played in just one club making them the DE FACTO national club. Maybe Smart Gilas wants to emulate that but there is a fear by some other teams that it would become a Talk and Text team.

A lot of NTs do this in basketball and soccer. Back in the 90s, it was Liaoning for China.

danny
09-17-2011, 02:30 AM
In the end, so what are we gamefacers going to do about this? ;)

easter
09-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Ok lang sana magreklamo kung wala tayong nakikitang improvement. Kaso meron naman eh natatalo na natin ang Iran and other Middle Eastern countries. A few years back binubugbog lang tayo niyang mga yan. Given na hindi pa yun Fiba Asia and eventually tinalo din tayo ng Iran in the same tournamnet at tambak pa, still there was improvement. Di naman ginusto ng Iran na matalo sa atin kahit minsan dahil gusto din niyan kapag tumapak sa court eh palaging panalo.

The_Big_Cat
09-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I thought we played really well last night versus China. We played excellent defense. Ang problema lang nga ay yung opensa. Our guards shot terribly from outside; Casio, Tiu, Alapag and Barroca and had a difficult time setting up the half court offense. To compound woes they gave up a lot of turnovers in the 1st half which resulted in China grabbing a comfortable lead early on. Taulava and Douthit held their own against Yi and Wang.

Alapag buried one triple, Chris Tiu made a good account of himself both ends of the floor but generally the guards awful shooting compounded our woes. Kelly Williams was erratic in offense but was superb in defense. Ranidel buried one triple also.

But for the 2nd straight game, Japeth Aguilar came into the game at the 4th quarter. In 2009, he got the cold treatment from Yeng Guiao. This 2011 may go the same route for him. I'd like to see Japeth play more minutes. Maybe Rajko could go with a big frontline in the future with Douthit (C), Japeth (PF) and Ranidel/Kelly(SF).

@rabbadal: That Liaoning Lions only had one player for the national team; sharp shooter 6'5" Wu Qing Long. Ang pagkakatanda ko yung Bayi Rockets had the most plalyers in the Chinese national team; Shan Tao, Adiljan, Sun Jun and then youth team player named Wang Zhizhi.

Dark Knight
09-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Theres no problem with being optimistic but we have to be realistic here.

1. There are 16 countries participating in the FIBA Asia championships and there is only one spot for the olympics. What are the odds of the Philippines occupying that slot? Optimistically its gonna be 50/50. Realistically IMO maybe about 35/65. And how about powerhouse China? IMO an 85/15 chance of making it.

2. Yes, we "only lose by 15"against China. Despite the overwhelming odds hindi tayo tinambakan ng China. But in the end, we still lost that ballgame. Id rather see us win by half a point than losing to China. Losing "only" by 15 is not an excuse. We should win. We are losing to China for how many years now.

3. Yes those 3 chinese players played in the NBA. Maybe a bit unfair to us? No. The chinese team is composed of "pure chinese players" whereas our contingent has at least 5 "fil-foreign players". Why is it necessary for us to include those Fil-Ams? Simple. Because we "do not have what it takes to win" with an all filipino line up.Its that simple. And even with those Fil Foreign players, we still cant find a way to win the FIBA. Despite having Lasitter, Lutz, Williams, Alapag and Douthit. The chinese should feild in Chinese American players to be fair eh?

4. And why are some chinese players playing in the NBA? Simply because "they have what it takes to play" there. Kahit bangko.Whatever rumours about Filipinos playing in the NBA like Jaworski or Abbarientos, they just remain just that. Rumours.

5. And what do we do? We cannot do anything but support our team no matter how dire the situation is. Unless we produce a bunch of 7foot guys who can run and dribble the ball like Paul Artadi.

6. Or simply put, "we do not have what it takes" to qualify for the Olympics. In the next 50 years at least.

Mel
09-19-2011, 12:20 PM
We could always hope. Basketball yan eh. Bilog ang bola.

Ganito rin siguro naisip nung Argentina, Greece, etc. and all other teams before nila talunin yung USA Dream teams.

Dark Knight
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Well their situation is different from us. Were not Europeans. There are Greek and Argentinian players in the NBa that can match up against American players.

pio_valenz
09-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Chinese Taipei just beat Lebanon in Group E. This Lebanon team is pretty weak, with Fadi El-Khatib not playing anymore. Based on their performances in the preliminary round, it looks like the order of finish of the top four in Group E will be Iran, Korea, Chinese Taipei and Lebanon. This means if we finish second in Group F, we'll most likely face Chinese Taipei in the crossover quarterfinals, and I like our chances against the Taiwanese. But we need to beat Jordan and Japan.

Mel
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
But the USA was supposed to be invincible!

maroonmartian
09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
But the USA was supposed to be invincible!

But the European style of play are too tactically sound and beautiful (look at the movement and screens involved in each play) not to defeat the American style of play which really more on skills. Look at Macedonia in the EuroBasket. They are not as tall as Spain (McCaleb their star PG is only 5-10, SG is only 6-2, center at 6-10) but they gave them a good fight.I might pick Spain in the Olympics.

On-topic:
I notice Filipinos look the Olympics as the "World Cup of Basketball". Di ba dapat yung FIBA World Championship? Kasi mas maraming participants dun (24 vs 12 in Olympics). I think we should continue with Toroman but this time let's get a REACHABLE GOAL for an EQUALLY PRESTIGIOUS TOURNAMENT. Hindi pa nasubukan ang chance nila sa World Championships (PBA All Star ginamit last time). Come one. 3 slots for that event (plus 4 sa wild card) vs 1 slot (and 3 for wildcard). Just my opinion.

clutchjedi
09-19-2011, 05:27 PM
PHI 72 JOR 64

A Philippine team finally beats Jordan at FIBA Asia. Jordan was the team that eliminated Chot's 2007 team in the round-robin and Yeng's 2009 team in the final 8.

We started disastrously, down 17-2 and later 24-11.

At start of game the team was advised that Lassiter & Lutz would still not be allowed to play. But it seems during the 1st half a call came from FIBA HQ in Geneva (sec-gen Baumann?) to rule that they could. We wouldn't have won it without Lassiter's shooting and energy.
Word though is that Jordan will protest their eligibility to already play in this game.

In the 2nd half Marcus Douthit went for a putback, landed on a Jordanian's foot and fell to the ground in obvious pain. He was able to return some minutes later; hopefully it's nothing more than a sprain and he can play through it.

pio_valenz
09-19-2011, 05:51 PM
^Yup, during the first half Baumann called the FIBA-Asia officials at the venue to tell them that Lutz and Lassiter could play. It was after the call that Toroman sent Lassiter into the game. The British commentator on BTV apparently wasn't aware of this which is why he kept on saying that should Gilas win, it would be forfeited.

easter
09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
^So hinid talaga nagprotesta ang Jordan ganun ba sir? Haka haka pa alng ika nga?

Great game for Gilas. Ganda ng laro ni Douthit at ni Lassiter while the other contributed as well making it a very team oriented game. Japan will be tough for the next game. Hope we continue with our good defense and shooting.

pio_valenz
09-19-2011, 05:58 PM
^Ang sabi, they protested during halftime, when the team captain signed the protest sheet. Baka hindi nila alam na pinayagan na ni Baumann. Or like clutchjedi said, baka they were protesting the two players' availability for this particular game only, kasi nga nakuha ang clearance after the game started. Pero tingin ko naman hindi ipapasok ni Toroman yung dalawa kung hindi siya kampanta na walang sabit.

PS on the official FIBA-Asia website, the Philippines has already been credited with the win. Sana okay na.

easter
09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Dapat nga tayo magprotesta eh kasi hindi tayo nakapag laro ng complete lineup sa 1st Q kahit may official word na pwede na maglaro kahapon pa. Di man lang nila kinunsulta sa FIBA HQ.

rabbaddal
09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Yes, we "only lose by 15"against China. Despite the overwhelming odds hindi tayo tinambakan ng China. But in the end, we still lost that ballgame. Id rather see us win by half a point than losing to China. Losing "only" by 15 is not an excuse. We should win.

Ateneo lost by 16 points to Adamson. Will you say that Ateneo doesn't have what it takes to beat Adamson? Qatar got eliminated. Are you saying they don't have what it takes to beat China? We all know they do. A loss is just that - a loss. It doesn't prove that the losing team doesn't have what it takes.

Theres no problem with being optimistic but we have to be realistic here.

6. Or simply put, "we do not have what it takes" to qualify for the Olympics. In the next 50 years at least.

In the next 50 years? Kaya yan kahit 10 years, which is pretty reasonable. If you look at their preparations to date, they didn't get to play in all the tournaments they wanted to over the past 3 years. If they stick to their tournament schedule from now on they would definitely be in play for an Olympic spot.

I've posted this before, go back to 1990 when the Philippines first sent PBA players to international competitions. Iran finished at the bottom of the main round and never made it to the medals. Today they are #1 in Asia.

Yes those 3 chinese players played in the NBA. Maybe a bit unfair to us? No. The chinese team is composed of "pure chinese players" whereas our contingent has at least 5 "fil-foreign players". Why is it necessary for us to include those Fil-Ams? Simple. Because we "do not have what it takes to win" with an all filipino line up.Its that simple. And even with those Fil Foreign players, we still cant find a way to win the FIBA. Despite having Lasitter, Lutz, Williams, Alapag and Douthit. The chinese should feild in Chinese American players to be fair eh?

You're pulling too many rabbits out of the hat. The question is whether or not Smart Gilas has what it takes to qualify for the Olympics. How they do it within the rules allowed by FIBA is purely beside the point.

rabbaddal
09-19-2011, 11:11 PM
We wouldn't have won it without Lassiter's shooting and energy.

It's a delicate situation for them because their ball movement is driven by the PG and SG, and Lassiter is the best guy in the team who can do this while at the same time playing good defense at the other side of the court. They are definitely crippled without him.

genom222
09-20-2011, 12:59 AM
http://wuhan2011.fibaasia.net/TournamentNewsDetails.aspx?id=1356

PHI/JOR - Douthit leads a successful and spirited Filipino rally

WUHAN, China (26th FIBA Asia Championship): Naturalized center Marcus Douthit raised the bar of his performance to the next level in the second half, and with the ‘just cleared’ Marcio Lassiter playing a very good second fiddle, Philippines rallied from a first half stutter to beat Jordan 72-64 in a pivotal Group F game on Monday.

Jordan ran the floor, and rolled the dice, for the entire first half and even seemed to head towards what would have been an unsurprising victory. (ano daw? we just beat them a few weeks ago)

Sam Daghlas (white jersey in pic above) shelved all doubts about his injury and led the Jordanian offense from the front with 9 points in the first quarter, but would go on to add only as many over the next three quarters.

Douthit (blue jersey in pic above) on the other had rose in performance and confidence as the game progressed.

The 211-cm Providence alumnus who had merely 4 rebounds and as many points in the first half, went on to lead the game in scoring – with 19 points – and rebounds – with 15 collections.

The form, or the lack of it, of these two players was a synopsis of the way the pendulum swung in the game.

“I think we showed a lot of character,” said Philippines guard Chris Tiu, who dished out a game-high 4 assists.

Philippines’ cause received a shot in the arm, when Lassiter – along with Chris Lutz – was cleared to don the Filipino colors.

The 188-cm guard made his appearance at the start of the second quarter, and went on to score 14 points – six of them in the third quarter, when Philippines began their rally.

“I think this was the biggest win of life, considering the circumstances,” said Philippines coach Rajko Toroman.

“We are not mentally as tough as we have to be,” rued Jordan coach Tab Baldwin.

“I know I am saying this for the second game on the trot, but then that is what it is,” he added.

“We didn’t what we had to on Marcus. In the first half managed to keep him under check, but we lost the grip as the game went on,” Baldwin said.

pio_valenz
09-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Japan will be tough. They're deadset on regaining their lofty position in Asian basketball after bombing out two years ago finishing out of the top eight. Hopefully Douthit's injury isn't that serious. Japan beat Jordan by only five points, so if that's any indication, we should have a good shot at beating them.

Ang worry ko lang, we haven't played too many East Asian countries during our build-up. Korea lang sa Jones Cup, and they beat us there. Yun nga lang, wala si Alapag at De Ocampo nun.

The_Big_Cat
09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Smart Gilas should be aware of Japan's Matsui. He buried 9 triples against us in the Jones Cup.

Getting a naturalized player and a foreign coach is paying great dividends for us. Sa wakas nakakasabay na tayo.

BigBlue
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
3. Yes those 3 chinese players played in the NBA. Maybe a bit unfair to us? No. The chinese team is composed of "pure chinese players" whereas our contingent has at least 5 "fil-foreign players". Why is it necessary for us to include those Fil-Ams? Simple. Because we "do not have what it takes to win" with an all filipino line up.Its that simple. And even with those Fil Foreign players, we still cant find a way to win the FIBA. Despite having Lasitter, Lutz, Williams, Alapag and Douthit. The chinese should feild in Chinese American players to be fair eh?

Why not include Fil-Ams? IMO fact that we do have players who do have a bit of foreign blood in them, or were raised abroad is a perfect reflection of what Filipino society is today, a scattered bunch spread through out the world. It's irritating that some quarters still feel the need to be pretentious and so puritan about having an "all-filipino" line up.

The_Big_Cat
09-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Diba sila Loyzaga, Jaworski at Paras ay mga Fil-Foreign?

Dark Knight
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Ok.All your opinions are well taken. Its just that when was the last time we entered the olympics? I dunno, maybe during the time of Caloy Loyzaga and co. That was what? The 1950's? or 60's? Thats probably more or less 50 years now. And where does our basketball program has taken us?

If the Philippines make it to the Olympics, then i'll humbly apologize to the Filipinos, Smart Gilas and my fellow Gamefacers here. You can also mock me all you want. Nothing personal. I'll take all the ridicule.

But if we get eliminated.............then................we still dont have what it takes............to make it to the Olympics.

No analysis needed. Its just that simple.

Mel
09-20-2011, 12:45 PM
1972 Munich Games was the last time we qualified for the Olympics. I do believe that given any circumstances (PBA selection, Gilas, all-amateur, w/ or without naturalized players, Fil-Ams) we should still continue sending the best possible basketball team that we have for the Asian Games and FIBA-Asia. Sabi nga nila, di ka mananalo sa lotto kung di ka tumataya.

pio_valenz
09-20-2011, 01:48 PM
That's right. We qualified in 1972. We also came within a three-point loss to China in 1987 of making it to the Seoul Olympics.

IMHO even if we do not qualify for the 2012 Olympics, that doesn't mean we should stop trying. If we make it to the top four, that's already a big improvement. Next Olympic cycle, aim for a higher finish. This is a gradual process, and it will take years to see this through.

Only one slot is available for Asia in this Olympics, and although I am supporting the team and hoping they do qualify, honestly I am prepared to see them get eliminated. But since only one slot is available, and either Iran or China will not qualify, does that mean that they also do not have what it takes? What about Lebanon, Jordan and Korea? If they also get eliminated, should they stop trying?

Let's use a football analogy. Take Thailand. The Thais are more fanatical about football than Filipinos are about basketball, if that's possible. Their football team is the best in Southeast Asia, and they're the highest-ranked ASEAN country in the FIFA rankings. Like most Asian countries, they also dream of playing in the World Cup.

Yet they are only ranked 120 in the FIFA rankings, and have never qualified for the World Cup despite having a solid football program in place for decades now. Can we also say that Thailand does not have what it takes to play in the World Cup, and that they should stop trying? Of course not. Because Thais are passionate about football, just as we are passionate about basketball. Every four years they will try their best to make it to the World Cup, because that's who they are.

it's very easy to take the high road here and say we will lose then go "I told you so." That's playing safe. But as a sports fan and a basketball fan, I'm just not built that way. I may have certain criticisms of our basketball program, but when all is said and done, they're still OUR team, and they deserve no less than our support. Being a sports fan is really all about taking big leaps of faith, and if your faith is not always repaid with a victory,well that's life.

Simple as that. No analysis needed.

Mel
09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
^ and a very big amen to that, sir!

maroonmartian
09-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Smart Gilas should be aware of Japan's Matsui. He buried 9 triples against us in the Jones Cup.

Getting a naturalized player and a foreign coach is paying great dividends for us. Sa wakas nakakasabay na tayo.

Honestly, we need to have a FOREIGN COACH to analyze what our weaknesses in our basketball problem. Lack of height, training, or the coaching system? Tingin ko height might not be the problem, its LACK OF GOOD BIG MAN COACH (Meron ba MAGALING NA PURE PINOY). Halimbawa may 6'6 player ka dito. What would a LOCAL COACH do here? Post moves lang ituturo. Kung mga Foreign Coach (but who lived here like Norman Black or Tim Cone), tuturuan yan ng KONTING DRIBBLE MOVE AND OUTSIDE SHOOTING. Di na sila one-dimensional.

We have to see that there is something wrong in our system and I think getting some outside perspective could help us.

I would vote for the retention of the Smart Gilas team. Try to get a SLOT IN THE FIBA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS (24 slots). IMO, that tournament is also as prestigious as the Olympics.

pio_valenz
09-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Big win over Japan! We're now assured of 2nd place in our group. Japan was red-hot from three-point land in the first half. buti na lang naubusan sila nung 2nd half.

genom222
09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
http://wuhan2011.fibaasia.net/TournamentNewsDetails.aspx?id=1365

PHI/JPN - Filipino 3rd quarter blitz hands Japan their first defeat

WUHAN, China (26th FIBA Asia Championship): Philippines ran a 26-12 third quarter – which included a 10-0 run which brought them back into the reckoning in the game – that eventually helped them beat Japan 83-76 thus handing the latter’s first defeat in the competition here.

Naturalized center Marcus Douthit (pic above) poured in 19 of his 25 points and collected 12 of his 18 rebounds – both game-highs – in the second half to spark yet another Filipino rally that might have just helped them get a “better cross over draw in the quarterfinals.”

Japan ran the floor hard early and seized the initiative with a 15-0 run that went across the first quarter break.

But a woefully dipping rate of conversion from the foul-line and an increasingly growing in cohesion and cohesion Philippines put paid to the Japanese hopes of remaining undefeated in the competition.

Kelly Williams, one of the PBA imports in the Philippines team sparked a 10-0 run – capped by Marcio Lassiter’s crisp long-ranger – bring the Smart Gilas back into the reckoning. (import???)

Japan managed to remain even, but only till a 14-2 run – this time with Douthit leading from the front and Jimmy Alapag setting the Wuhan SC ablaze with a fiery three-pointer – put Philippines in control.

Rajko Toroman’s team never fell back after that.

“The key was we stopped Takuya Kawamura,” Rajko said.

Japan’s most charismatic basketball face in recent face was restricted to a dozen points – six of them in the third quarter – as the Hayabusa struggled with their rebounds and free-throws.

“You can’t think of winning with a 57% conversion in free-throws,” rued Japan coach Tom Wisman.

Japan went to the foul-line 28 times, but only 16 of them were successful.

We won because of good offense and an even better defense specially in the 2nd half. Once we guarded the 3pt area better, the Japs were forced to drive and create difficult shots that our defense were able to counter effectively. It also helped that we ran every chance we got (Kelly was in full speed all game long, i love watching the guy play). Douhit had a great game and took advantage of the leaner Japanese. Lassiter also played good defense and offense all game long.

clutchjedi
09-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Big win over Japan! We're now assured of 2nd place in our group.

Actually, almost assured...if Japan upsets China, they both end at 4-1, and we fall to third due to quotient even if we beat Syria.

Though with China playing in front of their home crowd, that's highly unlikely. So it's a pretty safe bet, but we still need to wait and pray that nothing weird happens :D

pio_valenz
09-21-2011, 08:47 AM
^I think that's why Alapag still launched a three in the closing seconds of the game. He was already dribbling out the time when he changed his mind and attempted a triple. Humahabol sila ng mas magandang quotient kung sakali nga na maka-upset ang Japan sa China mamaya.

As things stand, if there's a three-way tie, minus 8 ang quotient ng Pinas, so automatic na third place kasi ang Japan nasa minus 7 ngayon and even a one-point win over China would give them a higher minus 6. if Alapag had made that three, minus 5 sana tayo.

pero tingin ko naman malabo pang manalo ang Japan mamaya. *crosses fingers*

clutchjedi
09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
^Yes, I also think they realized that, sayang lang hindi naipasok.

So just like what I posted about Ateneo Eaglets final four scenarios, our fate depends more on the China-Japan game than our own Syria game. :)

If China wins = we're #2 regardless of Syria game
If Japan wins small (under ~22) = we're #3 regardless of Syria game
If Japan wins big (~22+ but also depends on total score) = we're #2 if we had beaten Syria, #3 if we lost to Syria.

To add to the intrigue: by gametime, China will know whether Iran or Korea topped the other group. If Korea wins, China might still want to maneuver to avoid Iran in the semis...and China's "plan" would depend on whether we beat Syria or not. :D

The_Big_Cat
09-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Big win over Japan! We're now assured of 2nd place in our group.

Actually, almost assured...if Japan upsets China, they both end at 4-1, and we fall to third due to quotient even if we beat Syria.

Though with China playing in front of their home crowd, that's highly unlikely. So it's a pretty safe bet, but we still need to wait and pray that nothing weird happens :D

Ikaw naman. Go China beat Japan! :D

easter
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM
It seems that the Talk N Text players are blending really well with Gilas. Halos pareho talaga ang sistema nila. We might have found a winning and more sustainable program here.

What MVP could do to continue the program is to instill the system both at Talk N Text and Meralco and then retain a set of players at Smart Gilas. Toroman still coaches Gilas goes around the world fighting international competitions. Then when the PBA off season or off conferences happen, some PBA players can go with Smart Gilas and play. Adjust na lang ng PBA gaya ngayon yung conferences nila so that the MVP players can play.

clutchjedi
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Halftime:
Iran 42 - 30 Korea (per interbasket forums).

If Iran goes on to win this game and finish #1 in Grp E, I believe China will go all out to beat Japan and ensure their #1 seed, to avoid Iran until the final.

Good for us as that would preserve our #2 seed, although we'd have to face Iran then China in the semis and finals. :)

Edited to add:

Iran wins 79-62, clinch #1 in their half of the bracket.

Samad Nikkhah Bahrami injured his ankle and was taken out of the game; no word yet on how serious it is.

maroonmartian
09-21-2011, 10:03 PM
It seems that the Talk N Text players are blending really well with Gilas. Halos pareho talaga ang sistema nila. We might have found a winning and more sustainable program here.

Ganyan din ata sistema ng Arab countries and some national teams. They house their players into a one club. OK na yung SMART GILAS team ng di naman magalit ang other teams. Sana lang iINTEGRATE nila ito sa Youth teams.

Good luck sa Chinese-Taipei. Ingat tayo for an upset. After the semis, pray na lang na kakayanin.

easter
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
^ Di naman siguro magagalit ibang teams sa PBA kundi matutuwa pa sila dahil di na sa kanila hihingi ng players or kung mag-request man eh limited lang.

yungha
09-21-2011, 11:31 PM
quarterfinals on friday sept 23. semis on sept 24. finals (hopefully) or battle for 3rd on sept 25.

philippines korea
chinese-taipei japan

iran china
jordan lebanon

last time we made the semis was 1987 with paras, codinera, patrimonio, magsanoc, asaytono, pumaren, jolas, bong alvarez, guanio, capacio, villapando, realubit. what a team that was. hope we make it again.

marcus douthit is currently leading the tournament in points and rebounds.

GO PHILIPPINES!

oca
09-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Yes, Douthit is the key player in this campaign. He provides inside presence at both ends. Complementing this is the offensive system which spaces players well and dribbles less.

One can point all the Xs and Os or the match-ups that were to our advantage and the mismatches that we were able to compensate. But to me, it's primarily about our man in the middle and the less dribble offense. You dribble less and space your players well, laging may malilibre.

Madaling bantayan ang dini-dribble o sinsawsaw na bola, pero mahirap habulin ang ipinapasang bola. Dati pati sentro natin dumi-dribble trying to find an opening to shoot. Ngayon wala na yan, mga guardya lang talagang pwedeng mag-dribble.

Sa ganitong systema, we don't need to shoot exceptionally well from the perimeter. Kahit average shooting clip sa labas, laban pa rin yan. With Douthit may option tayo sa loob at marami tayong possible second shots.

One can point out the lock-down D provided by Lassie and Lutz as another crucial factor in our good play so far. Well, matagal nang bukam-bibig ang defense wins championship. Sa matagal nang panahon, our previous NT tried hard to compensate its inept offense with D. At D pa rin ang bukam-bibig ngayon, pero ang pinag-iba sa torneong ito, pag nagmintis ang kalaban patas na ang laban sa rebound dahil nga nandyan si Marcus.

We should feel good about our chances of winning a medal here. If we hurdle Chinese-Taipei, I like our possible semis match-up with Iran. Imo, we have better chances of beating IRI than SK. Mabuti nga at di SK ang possible semis match-up. Lamang ang long bounce pag mahilig tumira sa labas ang isang team na tulad ng SK, that negates whatever edge Douthit provides.

Pero tatalunin nga ba ang Chinese-Taipei? Llamada tayo dito! At palagay ko di yan sasayangin ng team natin.

Sa simula ng torneo dasal ko ang magandang laban. Iba na ang dinadasa ko ngayon, sana magpatuloy ang panalo.

The_Big_Cat
09-22-2011, 07:51 AM
quarterfinals on friday sept 23. semis on sept 24. finals (hopefully) or battle for 3rd on sept 25.

philippines korea
chinese-taipei japan

iran china
jordan lebanon

last time we made the semis was 1987 with paras, codinera, patrimonio, magsanoc, asaytono, pumaren, jolas, bong alvarez, guanio, capacio, villapando, realubit. what a team that was. hope we make it again.

marcus douthit is currently leading the tournament in points and rebounds.

GO PHILIPPINES!

In case we beat Chinese Taipei and advance to the Final Four, who will we face? Winner of Korea/Japan or Iran/Jordan?

Maganda din ang timing ng pag-angat natin sa FIBA Asia dahil tumanda na rin ang mga koponan ng Jordan at Lebanon.

oca
09-22-2011, 08:06 AM
^
Winner ng Iran/Jordan ang possible semis match-up ng mananalo between Philippines/ Chinese-Taipei.

At sa kabilang bracket, sana mag-abot ang South Korea at China sa semis. I always enjoy watching this two go up against each other. Before the emergence of Middle East teams, SK built their teams purposely just to beat China and overlook other teams . Yun nga daw dahilan bakit may ilang pagkakataon na pinahirapan ang SK ng mga hastily and ill-fit for international competition Philippine teams. Our talent would makes us give them a good game occasionally. But their system would prevail ultimately and at one time missed free-throws and malas would deny us a win.

Dasal ko mag-abot sa gold medal game ang SK at Pilipinas!

pio_valenz
09-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Yana din ang pinagdadasal kong scenario: PHL vs KOR. Dehado tayo masyado kung kakalabanin natin ang China sa homecourt nila for the championship game. Sana lang makalusot tayo sa Chinese Taipei at sa Iran kung sakali. Medyo natambakan nga lang ang Korea ng Iran, kaya hindi ko sukat kung kaya nilang talunin ang China. Pero bilog ang bola.

Mel
09-22-2011, 09:12 AM
ito yung sked for tomorrow:

130pm Jordan-Iran
330pm Korea-Japan
6pm Philippines- ChineseTaipei
8pm China-Lebanon

maroonmartian
09-22-2011, 04:11 PM
^We are the slight favorite against Chinese-Taipei. Hope the team got to complacent (like in the Bahrain match). One step at a time. Take Taipei and bahala na kung kanino man yan.

easter
09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
The last thing the RP team has to think about is that this game is already in the bag because of past results. Humility should be the way since Taiwan will fight to the bitter end to win this one as well. Gilas should remember what got them here, trusting each other and working hard on defense.

blue scorpion
09-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Sorry for my ignorance but what would happen if we (gilas) place in this tournament? Diretso Olympics na ba or isa pang qualifying tournament for the Olympics.

genom222
09-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Sorry for my ignorance but what would happen if we (gilas) place in this tournament? Diretso Olympics na ba or isa pang qualifying tournament for the Olympics.

just medals, only the first place gets the Olympic slot. If we get at least 3rd place, we qualify in the pre-olympic tournamet which give out 3 more slots I think. Kasali dun the likes of Greece, Russia, Puerto Rico at Macedonia (ubos kagad slots dun pa lang hehe)

check this link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_FIBA_World_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament

john_paul_manahan
09-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Good luck sa Team Pilipinas. Mamayang ala-sais pala ito ng gabi. Ang buong bayan ay naririto pa sa inyo. Laban lang.

Mel
09-23-2011, 03:14 PM
iran and jordan in a barn burner of a game right now

Mel
09-23-2011, 03:15 PM
it's official! jordan beats mighty iran!!!

clutchjedi
09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
88-84 per interbasket forums.

Big big break for us - if we get past Chinese-Taipei, in the semis instead of Iran we get Jordan whom we've already beaten. (in the game where we started poorly before Lassiter & Lutz were allowed to play.)

I'm guessing the injury to Bahrami might have been more serious that Iran was saying it was.

easter
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Unbelievable! I did not imagine how unpredictable it will be so deep in the tournament. Smart Gilas should be at their A-game. Anything can happen here.

pio_valenz
09-23-2011, 03:27 PM
OMG, what a big development! Jordan's three-point shooting finally clicked. Now let's take care of business against Taiwan. Avoid complacency! Go Gilas!

The_Big_Cat
09-23-2011, 03:33 PM
I only caught the last minute. Akala ko graphical error lang. Still unbelievable and I thought Jordan was already washed up because of their aging stars.

Toroman better bring up his best motivational pre-game speech to avoid the upset bug.

aircanda
09-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Pray for Gilas! Goodluck boys!

yungha
09-23-2011, 04:15 PM
GO PILIPINAS!

bydpogi
09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
God Speed Gilas!!!

maroonmartian
09-23-2011, 07:25 PM
The youth mixed with some veterans could have help us got here. We just have to get another obstacle and then another. Good luck Gilas! You have proven we don't need skilled players (note PBA players) to compete. Its the heart and passion that will get us there. :)

thadeus
09-23-2011, 07:58 PM
I seem to recall how terrible the grouping we had in the last FIBA-Asia tournament. This time, we couldn't have asked for a better draw (could even be better if China gets upset along the way).

Good game all around. Props to kuya Marcus, and Ranidel for holding down the fort. Chris Tiu was also great when Chinese Taipei got close in the last 3 minutes.

Mabuhay Team Pilipinas. Dalawa na lang!

easter
09-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Parang diesel ang Gilas sa simula mahina pero patagal pagaling. Great job! Better than expected!

genom222
09-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Wow still can't believe Iran is gone! Parang open season na hehe we must win against Jordan of course and in the finals against China anything can happen! Dahil sa panalo ng Jordan sa Iran, BILOG talaga and BOLA!

GO Team PILIPINAS! Go GILAS!

yungha
09-24-2011, 12:06 AM
I seem to recall how terrible the grouping we had in the last FIBA-Asia tournament. This time, we couldn't have asked for a better draw (could even be better if China gets upset along the way).

in a bracket there are usually 2 strong teams and 2 weak teams. considering that we regularly placed 9th-15th in the fiba-asia before, we were considered one of the weak teams and understandably so. ngayon, after the progress we've made, we're now considered one of the strong teams and can be bracketed with just one other strong team and 2 weaker teams.

kerouac82
09-24-2011, 12:39 AM
The bracketing also had something to do with our placing in the 2009 tournament, where we placed 8th. Also contributing to our team's run is the sudden disqualification of some Qatar NT players that led to the forfeiture of some games. Had they been able to field in a full roster, we might have been looking at a different F4 scenario. I'm not complaining, though. This team might just go all the way, or at least get a slot in next year's wildcard qualifier.

john_paul_manahan
09-24-2011, 04:02 AM
We win today, we are guaranteed to see basketball action in 2012.

(The Olympic Qualifying tournament is in July 2-8, and if we ever get lobbed in here, we should be making an effort to host this event as Greece, Lithuania, Macedonia, Russia, New Zealand, Angola, Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Puerto Rico have booked their spots)

The_Big_Cat
09-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Going back to the Jordan victory over Iran. After seeing the replay last night, it was actually Jordan's bench players who made the difference. 6'8" veteran center Naem Alkhaz scored 9 points by my count (all coming from 3 point land). And the number 11 back up point guard who buried 12 points (all coming from 3 point land).

Jordan went small ball in the final quarter with the number 11 guy, Daghless and Wright. They may use this tactic later on. They may also try to use again Alkhaz's 3 point threat in luring Douthit out of the painted area.

Rasheim Wright was checked all game long. He may come out smoking later on.

The key for us is defending their pick-en-rolls on top of the rainbow area. Jordan used that a lot yesterday in freeing up their shooters for a 3-point shot.

true.blue
09-24-2011, 08:53 AM
So who is saying we are not getting anywhere with this Smart Gilas program?

I fully agree with rabbadal's points in this thread. My additional thoughts:
- when you find that an all amature developmental team has weaknesses (such as the PF position and extra volume 3pt shooter), what's wrong with making the adjustments and plugging the holes with recruits from the PBA. We shouldn't be purists here but be open to adjustments.
- what's wrong with Ramon Ang? Why is he taking this SMC vs. MetroPacific/PLDT corporate battle too seriously and not supporting the national team?
- we need to revamp the PBA. Too many conferences in a year pitting the same teams. And with frequent player trades, it's hard to develop any loyalty to a specific team. What we need is to develop our PBA players by exposing them to international basketball. So let's invite foreign coaches. Let's have more PBA Open tournaments where we invite powerhouse clubs/national teams of Asia. Then we fix the PBA schedule to work around as much as possible the FIBA skeds.
- losing Gilas players to the pros is a natural progression for the players; rather than resisting it, we should manage it so that the cross overs are gradual. Gives time for the developmental national team of Norman Black (effectively our National Team B) to mature and embrace the system before moving up to Gilas (hopefully Toroman stays and shares his system with Norman's team).

pio_valenz
09-24-2011, 10:33 AM

in a bracket there are usually 2 strong teams and 2 weak teams. considering that we regularly placed 9th-15th in the fiba-asia before, we were considered one of the weak teams and understandably so. ngayon, after the progress we've made, we're now considered one of the strong teams and can be bracketed with just one other strong team and 2 weaker teams.

I seem to recall that China, as host, chose to be grouped with us, UAE and Bahrain after the first couple rounds of the draw were done. Also, the top four of the last FIBA-Asia Stankovic Cup (Lebanon, Japan, Qatar and the Philippines) were distributed across the four prelim groups. I'm just glad China chose our group because if they didn't we might have met them in the QF or SF.

bydpogi
09-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Talo tayo sa Jordan... Goodbye Olympic dreams! But nothing to be ashamed of Gilas! Go Gilas pa din!!!

genom222
09-24-2011, 05:28 PM
we had a good first quarter, 18-12 but can't seem to sustain that afterwards. We cut down a 9pt 4qtr lead to one in the first minutes of the quarter but baskets by Abbas and then back to back 3pts pushed back the lead to 9. I think switching to the zone did it for us in the last quarter, it was a bad gamble on our part. That resulted to the back to back 3pts that I mentioned. We also didn't take advantage of their foul trouble, Daghles already had 4 fouls early in the 3rd but we didn't attack him IMO. Also, Wright had a great game and we were not able to stop him. It didn't help that Llutz was in foul trouble who was our best perimeter defender.

all in all, great effort by the boys. we just need to improve our motion offense against zones and do a better job in executing the zone defense ourselves.

Let's move on and prepare for the bronze, Go Gilas!

easter
09-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Still a very good performance by Smart Gilas in this tournament. Very few people expected us to finish in the top 4. Hope we can continue with the program.

thadeus
09-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Talo tayo sa Jordan... Goodbye Olympic dreams! But nothing to be ashamed of Gilas! Go Gilas pa din!!!

Not all is lost. We can still get to the Olympic qualifying tournament if we get 3rd place. That in itself would be a great accomplishment. The team should not get down too much because there's still work to be done. Kaya pa yan!

rabbaddal
09-24-2011, 06:55 PM
- when you find that an all amature developmental team has weaknesses (such as the PF position and extra volume 3pt shooter), what's wrong with making the adjustments and plugging the holes with recruits from the PBA. We shouldn't be purists here but be open to adjustments.

As a sportswriter had pointed out before, in any team playing in any league, you would like to have a good mix of younger players and seasoned vets. Even if the young guns have more talent, the seasoned vets bring in a lot of emotional stability. That's how DLSU got screwed in the UAAP this year - they didn't have good senior players to provide emotional leadership. With Smart Gilas, we saw how the complexion of the team changed after Ranidel and Alapag were inserted into the lineup. And it's not as if all the younger guys were marginalized. Tiu, Casio and Lassiter played even better.

rabbaddal
09-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Not all is lost. We can still get to the Olympic qualifying tournament if we get 3rd place. That in itself would be a great accomplishment. The team should not get down too much because there's still work to be done. Kaya pa yan!

Mahirap na yan because they will likely play against Korea. And Korea is a team that has always had RP's number. With Smart Gilas in particular, they don't play well against teams that shoot quickly. Barroca tends to commit too many early turnovers which can lead to instant points. Against Korea, that would mean getting buried early in the game.

To have a chance in beating Korea, they shouldn't start with Barocca. They should start with Casio, or better yet Alapag.

I think 3rd is still worth fighting for. There's a possibility that they could sneak in the Olympics as a wild card entry. Kung 4th place, malamang wala na.

rabbaddal
09-24-2011, 07:08 PM
we had a good first quarter, 18-12 but can't seem to sustain that afterwards. We cut down a 9pt 4qtr lead to one in the first minutes of the quarter but baskets by Abbas and then back to back 3pts pushed back the lead to 9. I think switching to the zone did it for us in the last quarter, it was a bad gamble on our part. That resulted to the back to back 3pts that I mentioned. We also didn't take advantage of their foul trouble, Daghles already had 4 fouls early in the 3rd but we didn't attack him IMO. Also, Wright had a great game and we were not able to stop him. It didn't help that Llutz was in foul trouble who was our best perimeter defender.

Magaling talaga ang Jordan. I think they are one strong center away from becoming the next Iran. We beat them many times before because we played to their weaknesses, which is a testament to Toroman's brilliance. Jordan should not have wasted their naturalization slot on Rasheim and instead should've gotten a center (wag lang si CJ Giles).

maroonmartian
09-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Don't be ashamed of yourself boys. We got this very far considering this is your first FIBA Asia Championships. You might not be star-studded as the previous PBA selections but you have what they have, HEART. We can still salvage our hope for an Olympics spot by taking a Bronze. ISIPIN NATIN YUN. Maganda pa kasi if we got to the WILDCARD ROUND, we will have BETTER OPPONENTS FROM EUROPE, AMERICAS and AFRICA.

I am expecting a more dangerous team when they will gun for the 2014 FIBA World Championships in Spain. Maybe another medal to add.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_World_Championship

pio_valenz
09-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Toroman had no choice but to go to a zone in the fourth because Abbas was having his way with Lassiter. Sayang, ngayon pa ang sama ng shooting ni Lassiter at Alapag (both shot a combined 0-for-16). I think for future incarnations of the Gilas team, we need one more pure shooter (or even two).

bchoter
09-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Nothing to be ashamed off. I hope the feeling of "almost but not quite" will spur us to aim higher

Should we attempt for a slot at the qualifications for 2012 or do we start preparing for 2016?

yungha
09-24-2011, 11:24 PM
ang sakit. high na high tayo kahapon tapos ngayon nakaka-depress. i'm happy Ateneo won, but it's difficult to assuage this loss.

you made us proud, gilas boys. good luck in your careers. to chris and kuya marcus, keep fighting!

rabbaddal
09-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Should we attempt for a slot at the qualifications for 2012 or do we start preparing for 2016?

That's one and the same. How well we do in 2012 will reflect on how well we do in 2015. Jordan played in the last WC and it showed in terms of how they perform in the clutch.

rabbaddal
09-25-2011, 03:21 AM
ang sakit. high na high tayo kahapon tapos ngayon nakaka-depress. i'm happy Ateneo won, but it's difficult to assuage this loss.

you made us proud, gilas boys. good luck in your careers. to chris and kuya marcus, keep fighting!

They can still win 3rd and hopefully MVP can lobby for a wildcard entry, so there's still something to fight for. Trouble is Korea is one heck of an opponent that recent Philippines have never really beaten convincingly.

animo
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
maybe 2016 Olympics

mokongduke
09-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Kelly Williams shouldn't be included in the team he has no heart

mokongduke
09-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Develop Greg Slaughter and Junmar Fajardo into strong agile centers we need big guys.. And develop players with good shooting touch and a big fighting heart.. Very disappointed for Kelly Williams

tigerman
09-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Missed free throws killed us again and with olsen part of the tv panel, the loss definitely brought back the pain of 2002.

bydpogi
09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Anu ba naman ang Free Throw shooting ng Gilas, dami sablay within 1 minute!!

Douthit - 2
Williams - 2
Lassiter - 1

Damang dama ko pa din ang multo ng free throws ni Olsen Racela, it was also against Korea year 2002 ;D

On to the next chapter, continuous po ba ang program na ito ni MVP?

pio_valenz
09-25-2011, 06:23 PM
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

abcdef
09-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Para sa isang hardcore basketball fan na katulad ko napaiyak ako noong namintis ni Olscen Racela ang freethrows niya against Korea at nangyari na naman ito ngayon di makukumpleto ang buhay ko ng hinde tayo nakakabawi sa mga Koreanong yan. Kaya pag nagkaroon ako ng anak na mahihilig sa basketball sisiguraduhin ko na ang unang lugar na pag practisan niya sa court bago siya mag laro niya ay ang FREETHROW!

bchoter
09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Develop Greg Slaughter and Junmar Fajardo into strong agile centers we need big guys.. And develop players with good shooting touch and a big fighting heart.. Very disappointed for Kelly Williams
As long as it doesn't conflict with their varsity commitments

maroonmartian
09-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Kelly Williams shouldn't be included in the team he has no heart

I beg to disagree. Sure he missed his two free throws but his hustle and defense help us a bit. All I could say is SAYANG! Kudos to South Korea. Mas lamang talaga may experience.

PREPARED to the Olympics? Nope, sa 2014 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in Spain muna tayo. Kasi Top 3 teams ng Asia dun pasok agad. I think dun muna bago sa 2016 IMO. Honestly, we should give this guys a credit. They have more heart than the previous teams they succeeded. One point to, yung Asian Games huwag na ipadala ang full force team natin. Pwede pangpractice na lang yun kasi hindi siya magreresult ng qualification sa Olympics or FIBA World Championship.

korn666333
09-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I miss this page...

animo
09-25-2011, 08:32 PM

the questions is.. will their school allow them to play for the national team?

animo
09-25-2011, 08:42 PM
one problem is that most blue chip amateurs are eager to play in the pba instead of serving the national team. hindi mo rin masisi... malaki ang pera, parehong trabaho.

genom222
09-25-2011, 09:25 PM
pinalipas ko muna ang aking pagluluksa bago ako nag post, sobrang badtrip ako kanina. I was in my gf's parent's house at napamura ako nun lumamang yung Korea, in front of her family!!! hayyy, sobrang inis ko baka nakasapak ako ng koreano kanina (if meron Koreans dito I apologize in advance, competitive nature lang), nawalan na rin ako gana magbasketball kanina... ganun sya kasakit at kaasar. Really brings back memories of 2002 Busan. This was our chance not only to keep our Olympic dreams alive, not only to get a 3rd place finish but also redeem ourselves for 2002 and finally BEAT korea!

I will always be a fan of Philippines basketball, whatever reincarnation it is but this is just really frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of our boys for getting this far but I was really disappointing in the last quarter. We should have won this game, we held them to 17 freaking points in the 1st half! How could they score 70 at the end of the game??? we were leading by 7 at the half and even more at the end of 3rd. I think we were complacent during the last minutes and expected Korea to roll down and die, I even saw some people on our bench celebrating already.

Then again, we got a lot of chance to win the game till the very end and at the line but we missed.... which promoted me to say to my gf "if you miss shots like that, you deserve to lose this game."

Sorry in advance, this is not meant to flame bait or anything. Just a Philippine basketball fan venting out his frustrations. At least, makakakain na ko.

genom222
09-25-2011, 09:32 PM
and please someone tell Olsen Racela to refrain from doing color commentary sa international games, specially against Korea! ;D

animo
09-25-2011, 09:43 PM
China won the gold via 1 of 2 FT ;D

genom222
09-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Anyting can happen talaga sa finals, props for Jordan for having a great tourney...

yungha
09-25-2011, 10:08 PM

the questions is.. will their school allow them to play for the national team?

there are a lot of good tall young players who should be strong enough by the 2015 olympic qualifiers. as stated, there's greg and junmar. there's also 6'7 poy erram of ateneo, 6'7 yousef taha of mapua, 6'5 russel escoto of feu, 6'6 almazan of letran. ang daming pagpipilian. but to me the most intriguing prospect is 6'9 arnold van opstal of dlsu. the kid's strong, explosive and coordinated. malakas ang katawan. if he can only get proper coaching, he'll be a strong, mobile power forward who can play alongside douthit, greg or junmar.

the backcourt's secure with parks, ravena and maybe newsome of ateneo, nuyles of adamson and lanete of san beda. at point there's maybe fortuna of UST, LA Revilla of dlsu, kevin alas of letran or baser amer of san beda. another guy coach rajko could look at is mike silungan of UP, who's struggled as a primary weapon but i think will do quite well when surrounded with other talented players. he's also a quick release shooter and we can always use that in international competition.

manong bchoter also posted a while back that their center karim abdul is interested in acquiring philippine citizenship. either him or ola adeogun of san beda would be huge. parehong halimaw maglaro.

rabbaddal
09-25-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm not surprised that they would lose like this when they competed for the top 3 spots. Since its inception, Gilas has never competed in a world-level tournament unlike the Jordanians and the Koreans. Except for their pickup games in Serbia, they have no background in playing against teams that are stronger than the Asian elite.

So for a team like that, 4th place is a very remarkable accomplishment considering how the previous all-pro teams have placed in FIBA Asia. Plus they've beaten Iran a couple of times along the way.

yungha
09-25-2011, 10:34 PM
^that's why Gilas II should be given 2 chances, fiba-asia 2013 and 2015. the more we get exposed to this level, the better we'll play in pressure situations.

rabbaddal
09-25-2011, 11:06 PM
/\/\

There were also several pocket tournaments (Portugal, Turkey, etc.) they were supposed to join, but they pulled out in the last minute for one reason or another. Yung World University Games naman, we sent a ragtag team. The next Gilas team has to make sure it doesn't miss those kinds of tournaments if it wants to beat seasoned opponents in FIBA Asia.

maroonmartian
09-26-2011, 12:29 AM
and please someone tell Olsen Racela to refrain from doing color commentary sa international games, specially against Korea! ;D

Friend naman sila nina Mark Molina and people from FEU. Pero katuwa yung hirit nila sa UAAP Finals. Hihingi sila ng tickets sa mga taga-FEU pero sa kabila magchicheer. LOL ;D

On-topic:
Let just see these development in a lighter perspective. We are back in the Asian scene. Ituloy na natin ito. Magdagdag ng bagong players. Parks, Ravena, Slaughter, and others should improved to adapt to the international scene. Isabak na natin sa SEA Games para mahasa na.

Well done Gilas. You put now in the right direction. We must sustain it. To MVP, salamat po.

easter
09-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Despite another heartbreaking loss this is actually a breakthrough tournament. Salamat to allthe whole Gilas team, from management to the players! kita mo ang passion to bring an Asian title to the country. Sana we continue with this program. There are lots of good players in the pipeline like Slaughter, Ravena, Amer, Fortuna, Camus, RR Garcia, Aldrech Ramos, Fajardo, Abueva, Sangalang, Lester Alvarez and Parks. Make them worth their while financially to play for flag and country.

oca
09-26-2011, 08:28 AM
The SBP should enter into an agreement with the PBA to allow former SG players who have turned pro to be drafted into the NT with minimal or no restrictions.

If that can be agreed upon, any PBA team drafting a SG player knows the conditions what comes with having drafted that player. That PBA team will have no right to deny a request from the SBP.

Parang reserve military service personnel ang former SG player. Pag pinatawag no civilian employer can hold on that person and that person will have his job back after his tour of duty.

To make this more acceptable to the PBA, the SBP must continue to maintain a NT with players outside the PBA; that PBA players will be drafted only to fill the gaps. More importantly ONLY former SG players are to be drafted into the NT.

We cannot deny, there is no substitute for experience. Hence, there must be an arrangement to recall SG players who have moved up to the PBA.

Moving forward, I want to go back to the above post quoted in part.

In our semis and bronze medal games clearly the advantage on experience on the part of Jordan and South Korea was instrumental with their wins. Toroman himself cited the experience of the Jordanians, and one can see how calm the Koreans were during the final stretch even while still trailing. Pwede nating sabihin dun na rin tayo patungo, except that only Tiu and Douthit are the only remaining Gilas players now.

Malinaw, with players going to the PBA, and with no "unconditional assistance agreement" with the "PBA", we will never have enough mature and experienced players in our NT. Laging bago ang composition ng team, maraming bagito sa labanan sa Asian level. Kung hihiram uli ng players sa PBA, tulad ng 4 na hiniram ngayon, may sapat na experience na ba yan sa international play? Alam na ba nila ng lubusan ang systema ng team?

With Gilas players dispersed to almost every team in the PBA, paano mapapakinabangan ang experience nang mga yan?

Let's not be naive, the arrangement now between SBP and the PBA is very much an arrangement between MVP and MVP. Where only teams under the group of MVP are lending players to the SBP/NT.

Magandang isipin na pati ang SMC group ay magpapahiram ng players. But we all know the corporate rivalry that exist. We can't deny that. Kung gustong tumulong ng SMC group,kayang-kaya nilang gawin. Pero mangyayari ba? (Eto ngang si Hontiveros nang ma-trade pabalik sa SMC group ay in-excuse ang sarili sa NT.)

But maybe, if the "PBA" will agree to release former Gilas players every time they are needed, I'm sure we can do better.

One may ask why limit the borrowing of players from the PBA to former Gilas players if there are more talented and better players available. Well, in international competition, I'll take one good veteran internationalist over one very good and talented player who has not played or has limited international play.

Continuity ang kailangan natin, and with the PBA as the preferred final destination of our players, kahit former Gilas players lang ang ipahiram lagi we will do better in the long term, imo.

rabbaddal
09-26-2011, 09:38 AM
In general, the PBA has always been amenable to lending players to the NT as long as several conditions are met:

1) Give them enough lead time. Don't rattle the PBA for players in the last minute.

2) Assume financial responsibility for borrowed players. This is fair enough.

3) Don't ask for too much. 3 to 4 players are enough. Maybe 5 if needed. Anything more is abusive.

4) Do not diss the PBA like what Noli Eala did.

The PBA does not want to be perceived as unpatriotic and frankly they benefit from Gilas producing a steady stream of players with good fundamentals, so it's a win-win arrangement.

What's great about Toroman is that he borrows only the players he needs to fill in the gaps, unlike other Filipino coaches who demand an all-star lineup.

easter
09-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Wag lang natin isipin ang team composition but the welfare of the players as well. There are lots of economic concerns here.

1. Gilas players are awarded 3 year rookie rates. Then pagpasok sa PBA rookie rates pa rin.

2. Gilas players have more wear and tear than PBA players with consecutive games and traveling and if they retain condition #1 will earn less money that ordinary PBA players unless they become top dogs like James Yap.

3. If they get injured badly their PBA opportunities goes down the drain. Are there financial insurances for these?

Some solutions to this:

1. Gilas gets slightly higher compensation than rookie rates.

2. Upon entering the PBA, they can haggle for more than the PBA rookie rates as long as they have served Gilas for at least 3 years.

3. When they are in the PBA and are called upon for Gilas they should get additional compensation.

I really like what MVP did in forming the Gilas team by offering rookie rates. But the reality that they can be suddenly replaced by PBA stalwarts could be a hindrance to amateur superstars to take this route unless the financial considerations can match the risk of FIBA playiing time.

yungha
09-26-2011, 10:14 AM
there are full page ads for smart gilas in philippine star and inquirer today. it says THE DREAM LIVES ON and the next target is the 2014 world basketball championships. that's good to know.

animo
09-26-2011, 11:37 AM
so what's next for SG?
will coach Toroman stay as the head coach?

Dark Knight
09-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I love all of you guys cause you never lose confidence in our team. But i might be the only one here in gameface who thinks otherwise. So bear with me. And i apologize.

So we lost. What else is new. But it doesnt mean "we dont have what it takes" to make it to the Olympics. Not a single second should we doubt our teams capability.

We still "have what it takes" to make the Olympics even if we have not won the FIBA Asia Championships for more than 20 years now.

We "still have what it takes" even if we failed to return to the Olympics for 10 olympic years now (every 4, more or less 40 years).

We should have what it takes to make the Olympics because we are fielding in half breeds (meaning about 80% foreign blood and 20% Filipino blood. Who would thought Douthit is a Filipino? Or is he?) while our opponents are almost pure breeds.

Talk about consistency eh? In my humble opinion, as i earlier stated "we dont have what it takes" to make the Olympics. Why? Because we are consistently being eliminated for fucking 20 years now. China, even if they lose, still have what it takes simply because they already have 14 titles. Jordan, even if they lost, still have what it takes because they won the 2007 and 2009 title. But the Philippines? This is our best finish since 1985 4th placer. We waited for more than 20 years only to finish another dismal 4th. And ypu will tell me we "have what it takes" to qualify for the very prestigious Olympics?

Open your eyes and face the reality. With our loss, logically and with common sense, we dont have what it takes to make the freakin' olympics. No intellectual analysis needed because no matter how scientific our explanation is to quantify how we lost, the bottom line is and the truth is, we lost. Period. No analysis needed. ;D

Jordan spared me my supposedly embarrasing apology. ( maybe i'll raise a lot of brows and say "wheres your nationalism man? Pleeeaassee..)

What can we do? Nothing but congratulate the team with "nothing to be ashamed of" and "good work guys" despite our loss.

But this is true. China "do not have what it takes" to win the Olympic Gold in Basketball.

And we? Not for the next 49 years. Lets start counting.

My apologies.

MonL
09-26-2011, 12:15 PM
DK,

You have the benefit of hindsight. Many of us here have nothing but hope, and this hope fuels our dreams.

We dare to dream because that's the only way to live.

Dark Knight
09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
MonL

I understand. I hope i share your confidence. It takes time but i'll try.

Again my apologies................to the Smart Gilas team.

Mel
09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Play on lang. The stars will align someday. Di mo na kailangang lumayo to find inspiration. NU, Adamson, UE and UP has not won the men's basketball title in the UAAP for quite some time yet they still send their teams to competition.

Jordan's current players will retire. Ganun rin sa Iran. China and Korea will always be there. A new batch of players will carry the torch for the Philippines and who knows one day everything wlll come to place. I'm willing to wait no matter how long because I love basketball.

MonL
09-26-2011, 12:46 PM

No, Jordan lost because they shot too soon in an attempt for the win.

easter
09-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Naala ko noong maliit pa ako I studied in a small chinese private school, My school never joined tournaments or played against other schools. Eh mahilig na ako manood ng basketball nun. Kaya gustong-gusto ko ang UAAP noon watching Jarencio and Caidic. UST ako noon since my brothers were there pero yung schooll mismo na akin wala until I came to Ateneo. Winning a back-to-back in my first 2 years. Then the Dark Ages came, masaya pa din ako basta meron akong team na I can identify with ayos na sa akin. Aside from Ateneo, Smart Gilas is that team because it is a national team.

Kaya ako I am happy cheering and will never stop hoping. Now lets join more FIBA tournaments and get that FIBA Worlds slot! 8)

jembengzon
09-26-2011, 01:24 PM
favorite quote from steve jobs: " "Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. rebels. troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

here's hoping we're crazy enough to succeed :) maybe it's just what this country needs right now.

oca
09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
DK,

I'm a basketball nut like you and in as much as I want to understand what you wrote, I think you really got it all wrong. Let me take up at random a few things you wrote.

Whoever talked about winning the gold, or even any medal in the Olympics? Walang nagsabi ng ano man about medals. To be back in the Olympic stage and participate was the end goal. I have criticisms about wanting to make the 2012 Olympics when the SBP launched the Gilas program late in 2008. I personally believed it was wrong to aim for that without re-establishing supremacy in Asia. Para sa akin, bonus na ang ticket sa Olympics, yung maging numero uno tayo uli sa Asia ang dapat focus. And this doesn't have to be achieved with this FIBA Asia that serves as a qualifier sa 2012 Olympics, pwedeng sa edition that serves as qualifier sa FIBA World or at the Asian Games.

Sabi mo we don't have what it takes to make the Olympics. Let me point out some numbers on our team's performance here at Wuhan. Our tournament conversion averages were : FG 44%, 2pt 51%, 3pt 27%, FT 68%.

Against Jordan we did 31%, 40%, 13%, 77%.
Against SK the stats read 33, 33, 35, 58.

In both games the rebound was pretty even: 42-44 in favor of Jordan and 51-47 vs SK.

Look at the numbers in these last 2 games and compare it with our tournament averages. Clearly, we just had to shoot our averages and we could have won these games. Lottery na ang championship as evidenced by that China win over Jordan.

Now, that we could have won had we had an "average shooting night" may be hypothetical. But my point is this --- our team is not as experienced as Jordan and South Korea yet it went as far as it did. 13% 3pt shooting vs Jordan and 58% FT conversion against SK were both a case of nerves.

Only a more experience and mature team can better handle the pressure of those last 2 games. Imagine how better our team can get if we can only keep the core.

The opposition had a core that were playing their 3rd or 4th FIBA Asia tournament and we have a bunch of recent college graduates reinforced by 4 PBA players. Those 4 players didn't get to practice with the team full-time until about a month before Wuhan. Now, these are factors that are within our control if the stakeholders so desire. Keep the core and keep the team together long enough to prepare.

As to your argument that we should make the Olympics because we have half-breeds and a foreigner and yet did not, pare, games are not decided by genes, race or color.

Experience, maturity, talent-- having the right pieces and team play-- having the right system wins tournaments.

Jordan may have spared you that embarrassing apology, but you didn't spare yourself from embarrassment.

maroonmartian
09-26-2011, 09:01 PM
there are full page ads for smart gilas in philippine star and inquirer today. it says THE DREAM LIVES ON and the next target is the 2014 world basketball championships. that's good to know.

Good vision for the team. Actually the earliest ticket for the 2016 Brazil Olympics (I still think of the 2014 World Cup) is a gold finish in the 2014 World Basketball Championship in Spain. Yung USA di na nagpalabas ng players for the FIBA Americas (unlike noong 2007 before the 2008 Olympics) kasi nagchampion na sina Durant and some young players noong 2010 Turkey World Basketball Championships. Mahirap lang kasi 24 teams ang kakalabanin mo. Now if we finish 4th just like now on 2013 FIBA Asia, we play in the WILDCARD. A TOP THREE FINISH on the other hand and we will qualify. Pwede natin gawing tune-up sa Olympics. So is the Asian Games and SEA games.

bchoter
09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I totally agree with oca. It is not that we don't appreciate Gilas. It's just that there seem to be something lacking in it's program and that is continuity. This is highlighted by "borrowing" PBA players at the last minute and made even worse by the dispersal of NT players to different pro teams without guarrantees they'll be back.

Sino nga bang ayaw manalo ang NT? Yun team lang yata ni Graham Lim ang NT na gusto kong matalo upang magkaroon ng pagbabago.

rabbaddal
09-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Those players who move to the PBA shouldn't be entirely lost. Depending on how the SBP and the PBA can work out an arrangement, some of them can be loaned back to the NT. As some people have pointed out earlier, if Hadadi, Yi and Bahrami can find the time to play for their NTs, why couldn't the PBA players? And it's not as if Toroman didn't ask for help from the PBA at the onset. He has always communicated his "wish list" of PBA players but the powers that be didn't move until the last minute.

There's reason to be more optimistic now because of the good results. The tournament has shown that this team can win with the right blend of pros and amateurs. The PBA will also benefit from having a stream of good players joining the draft. It should be a win-win arrangement for both the SBP and the PBA, so there's little reason why they can't come to an agreement.

oca
09-27-2011, 05:37 AM
At lahat tayo ay maghihintay na maganap ang inaasam na lubusang pagkakasunduan ng SBP at PBA. At pag sinabi kong PBA, di lamang ng MVP group kundi pati ang SMC.

But regardless how that materializes, SBP should continue to rebuild the NT with non-PBA players. I seriously doubt if the PBA will release players to the NT whenever they are needed. Alam na nating lahat iba calendaryo ng PBA. Di magtutugma yan sa FIBA calendar. Kahit sa mga tune-up tournaments leading sa Wuhan, di tumugma. Malinaw na dapat sa lahat yan. Kaya ituloy ang pag-buo ng NT na walang PBA players. At dapat ang plano ay walang hihiramin sa PBA, at kung hihiram man, yun lamang mga dating Gilas players.

Di pwedeng maiwan tayong nakanganga kung sa pagdating ng panahon ay MVP teams pa rin ang pwedeng pagkunan ng players at di ang buong PBA.

maroonmartian
09-27-2011, 05:57 AM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/rankMen.html

Yan ba ang walang pinagbago? From 53 we are now 45. Up eight places ;D

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/rankMen.html

We are the biggest mover in Asia. 9th tayo pero tingin ko we should be up before Taiwan, QATAR :o. May progress na. We just have to sustain it.

rabbaddal
09-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't think it's feasible to ask 12 players to commit full time to the NT for 5 years. As most folks know, a player's professional career starts to diminish by the time he's 30 years old. So if they start with the NT at 22 (when they complete their college commitments) they will be 27/28 by the time they try to join the pros. Who knows what their long term career prospects would be by then?

Whatever arrangement that comes out has to be a win for everyone - the NT, pro league and the players. Nobody should be left holding the bag.

john_paul_manahan
09-30-2011, 04:59 AM
I think the 16-player pool needs to be identified. That's what the US is doing now. They have a pool to choose from, then a training camp, then they cut down to the needed roster.

I don't think the MVP franchises would be an issue. Powerade has shown a willingness to chip in. Ang SMC lang talaga.

Mel
09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
"From the very beginning, only a handful of people believed in the program. Many people laughed when we said we were aiming for the Olympics. Some said that the Philippines should forget about basketball and focus on other sports since basketball is a big man's game and we Filipinos obviously don't have the height. But this gave us motivation, the reason why we wanted to succeed so badly is not for any personal glory but because we wanted to inspire the millions of Filipinos that tasks like this that seem impossible can be achieved despite the odds. We, Pinoys are often underdogs. We live in deep poverty, but if we first BELIEVE, then through extreme hard work, cooperation, sacrifice and dedication, nothing is impossible! " - Chris Tiu

http://chris-tiu.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-reflections-on-fiba-asia-part-1.html

easter
09-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Whatever happened to the basketball programs of the Central East Asian countries or former parts of the Soviet Union like Kazkhstan which gave us much headache in the 1990s. I thought these countries were the next thing to watch pero naunahan na sila ng mga taga MiddleEast.

Dark Knight
10-06-2011, 09:41 AM
DK,

I'm a basketball nut like you and in as much as I want to understand what you wrote, I think you really got it all wrong. Let me take up at random a few things you wrote.

Whoever talked about winning the gold, or even any medal in the Olympics? Walang nagsabi ng ano man about medals. To be back in the Olympic stage and participate was the end goal. I have criticisms about wanting to make the 2012 Olympics when the SBP launched the Gilas program late in 2008. I personally believed it was wrong to aim for that without re-establishing supremacy in Asia. Para sa akin, bonus na ang ticket sa Olympics, yung maging numero uno tayo uli sa Asia ang dapat focus. And this doesn't have to be achieved with this FIBA Asia that serves as a qualifier sa 2012 Olympics, pwedeng sa edition that serves as qualifier sa FIBA World or at the Asian Games.

Sabi mo we don't have what it takes to make the Olympics. Let me point out some numbers on our team's performance here at Wuhan. Our tournament conversion averages were : FG 44%, 2pt 51%, 3pt 27%, FT 68%.

In both games the rebound was pretty even: 42-44 in favor of Jordan and 51-47 vs SK.

Look at the numbers in these last 2 games and compare it with our tournament averages. Clearly, we just had to shoot our averages and we could have won these games. Lottery na ang championship as evidenced by that China win over Jordan.

Now, that we could have won had we had an "average shooting night" may be hypothetical. But my point is this --- our team is not as experienced as Jordan and South Korea yet it went as far as it did. 13% 3pt shooting vs Jordan and 58% FT conversion against SK were both a case of nerves.

Only a more experience and mature team can better handle the pressure of those last 2 games. Imagine how better our team can get if we can only keep the core.

The opposition had a core that were playing their 3rd or 4th FIBA Asia tournament and we have a bunch of recent college graduates reinforced by 4 PBA players. Those 4 players didn't get to practice with the team full-time until about a month before Wuhan. Now, these are factors that are within our control if the stakeholders so desire. Keep the core and keep the team together long enough to prepare.

As to your argument that we should make the Olympics because we have half-breeds and a foreigner and yet did not, pare, games are not decided by genes, race or color.

Experience, maturity, talent-- having the right pieces and team play-- having the right system wins tournaments.

Jordan may have spared you that embarrassing apology, but you didn't spare yourself from embarrassment.

Sir Oca, FYI, you are one of the few posters here who earned my respect. I learn a lot from your post. Your opinion are taken in consideration. But a few comments.

1. Yes, we are both basketball nut but not as nut as you are. ;D

2. I never said we dont have what it takes to win the Gold in the Olympics. What i said is we dont have what it takes to qualify again for the Olympics.

3. We lack experience yes, but whose fault is it? Our program? That is why we dont have what it takes to whatever except the SEA Games and SEABA.

4. We have respectable stats but it will be all for naught if we dont translate them to victories.

5. Yes, genes, color and race do not decide the games. Then why is it necessary for us to get half breeds? Bcause we cant win with an all pure Filipino crew?

6. I dont think i embarras myself. I stand by my post and i will not change my stand. IMO, our basketball program embarrass itself. Kulang na kulang at walang dedikasyon para sa ating National Team.

7. Im studying your post and you have some good points. For the meantime, lets just agree to disagree.

oca
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
DK,

Sir Oca, FYI, you are one of the few posters here who earned my respect. I learn a lot from your post. Your opinion are taken in consideration. But a few comments.

1. Yes, we are both basketball nut but not as nut as you are. ;D

2. I never said we dont have what it takes to win the Gold in the Olympics. What i said is we dont have what it takes to qualify again for the Olympics.

3. We lack experience yes, but whose fault is it? Our program? That is why we dont have what it takes to whatever except the SEA Games and SEABA.

4. We have respectable stats but it will be all for naught if we dont translate them to victories.

5. Yes, genes, color and race do not decide the games. Then why is it necessary for us to get half breeds? Bcause we cant win with an all pure Filipino crew?

6. I dont think i embarras myself. I stand by my post and i will not change my stand. IMO, our basketball program embarrass itself. Kulang na kulang at walang dedikasyon para sa ating National Team.

7. Im studying your post and you have some good points. For the meantime, lets just agree to disagree.

Dahil ang concluding point mo ay "agree to disagree", I'll leave it at that too.

Makikita nang babasa ang punto ng bawat isa. I'll let 3rd parties appraise who embarrassed who. Di man nila ihayag yun, overtime one's handle will gain more respect than the other.

genom222
01-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Toroman already out as National Team Head Coach?

http://www.pba.ph/news/entry/1350

Uichico joined Chot Reyes, Ryan Gregorio and Norman Black at Smart Gilas.

B-Meg coach Tim Cone, mentor of the Philippine Centennial team that bagged the bronze medal in the
1998 Bangkok Asian Games, has also been invited.

Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman has been scratched from the list.