PDA

View Full Version : What Keeps You Fit?

lurkinggood
11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
For the health conscious, what keeps you physically fit? Aside from basketball and sex, what other physical activities do you do? What diets do you observe? Please provide details.

For those who have gained enough (in size and in weight), what's your plan to make yourself physically fit? ;D

atenean_blooded
11-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I enjoy running. Anywhere from 2 to 5 miles a day.

aircanda
11-05-2007, 10:29 PM
wala pa.. :D

gained 20 lbs since entering college.. cant go to the gym since may injury aq sa shoulder..

malakas ba magpapayat ang jogging?

lurkinggood
11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
wala pa..* :D

gained 20 lbs since entering college.. cant go to the gym since may injury aq sa shoulder..

malakas ba magpapayat ang jogging?

Jogging regulary and eating in moderation can get you slimmer over time.

Like blooded, I also enjoy running. I normally run 30-40 mins a day, enough to make me sweat all over.

Here's a short article that gives you some benefits of running...

The Benefits of Running

When you envision running, you probably will fall into one of two categories. Either you love it or you hate it; sometimes it is even a love/hate relationship. But what makes people love it? And what makes people who hate it keep doing it? It is likely that the benefits of running outweigh the hatred (if there is any hatred).

There are as many benefits of running as there are reasons that runners run. It may be to lose weight or get fit. Perhaps they run to stay healthy and happy. It could even be a way to meet people or to compete with themselves or others in races. Whatever the case may be for each runner, the benefits of running can be broken down into 3 main categories:

More in this link....
http://running.about.com/od/gettingstarted/a/101whyrun.htm

LION
11-07-2007, 08:04 AM
People who are unfit are not qualified to answer and contribute here?

I'll just lurk around and get tips from you guys on how to become fit. ;D

mighty_lion
11-07-2007, 10:42 AM
^ I was trying to recall a good article regarding this topic kaso hindi ko na makita. IThe article talks about keeping yourself fit is not just a matter of how physically conditioned you are. Okey na yong masaya ka at malayo sa stress. Give yourself a ton of laugh every morning and ensure you have a peace of mind sa gabi.

Kaya pwede pa sir. ;D

irateluvmachine
11-07-2007, 11:42 AM
golf.

golfgolfgolfgolfgolfgolfgolf. BURP. ;D

LION
11-07-2007, 11:58 AM
^ I was trying to recall a good article regarding this topic kaso hindi ko na makita. IThe article talks about keeping yourself fit is not just a matter of how physically conditioned you are. Okey na yong masaya ka at malayo sa stress. Give yourself a ton of laugh every morning and ensure you have a peace of mind sa gabi.

Kaya pwede pa sir.* ;D

Yan din ang pananaw ko kaya hanggang ngayon malaki pa rin ang tiyan ko. ;D

oca
11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Sabi ng isang matanda sa akin (at talagang matanda na po siya)* ---

Take up a fitness routine that you can maintain until past middle age. Because when you do something over a long time but quit at middle age expect yourself to gain unwanted pounds.

Gaining unwanted pounds at middle age is a recipe for disaster.

Kaya tignan niyo karamihang athletes, not just basketball players, at retirement maraming biglang lumolobo ang mga katawan. Even those who regularly go to the gyms do gain weight when they quit.

Walang tama o mali, pangit o magandang fitness prorgram. Basta raw guided ka ng isang nakakaintindi at kaya ng bulsa mo at kayang mong i-maintain hanggang sa pagtanda.

"Lakad" o "takbo" is matipid.

Kaya, tulad ng ilang naunang nag-post...takbo at lakad lang ako. More of brisk walking actually. Pauwi, dadaan ako sa panaderia at bibili ng pandesal at diaryo sa tapat nito. Double / triple purpose pa!* ;)

chiqui34
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I am so far from being fit. Now that is said, its actually a milestone that I was able to lose a few pounds and keep it up.

I took up to walking from Uniwide Sucat to my place of residence every time I go home. I do not know the exact distance but it is surely more than a kilometer or two. With regards to eating, I have skipped eating lunch and dinner altogether, avoid rice like the plague, have a healthy breakfast and if I could not keep those hunger pangs away, go for apples or other fruits.

Now I get a little lax because I've actually had my uniforms altered since they've all been loose, which was an impossible feat even five months ago. It's easier to watch the weight when you're broken-hearted but now that I am over that, its becoming impossible again.

Anyway, it just have to continue being like this, plus the added benefit of nicotine to curb those hunger pangs. Heck, I know cigarettes are dangerous, unhealthy, etc. but fact is, I don't get hungry when I smoke. :)

So there.

Sam Miguel
12-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Walk 4 kilometers every day, 2 to the office, 2 going home, helps to live near work, har-har!

LION
12-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Since I got a handsome blue apbt last month, I've been walking around the neighborhood everyday, 30 mins early morning and 30 mins in the evening. I also get to talk with a lot of people because they can't help but interfere with my walk to ask about my big dog.

batangueño
12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
People, curious lang ako. Meron ba dito na umiinom ng Fitrum? If yes, any comment about the product? Thanks. :)

bluegirl
12-17-2007, 09:03 PM
i'm nowhere near "fit". but when i'm in the mood to try, i go boxing and i play basketball once a week.

ESCALERA JR.
12-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Since lahat naman tayo mahilig sa basketbol, i think playing the game is the best way to keep fit.

Sa mga hindi na bata tulad ko( hindi rin naman katandaan) where playing 'whole court' could have disastrous consequences, shooting 3's or just taking 100 free throws on weekends will definitely give you a good sweat and at the same time keep you trim.

Hanggang tatluhan na lang kasi ang kaya ko eh ;D

LION
12-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Pero pag may mga nanunood na chikas we can always summon our reserve energy to play "whole court".* *Medyo dayain mo na lang sa depensa at antay antay ka na lang ng fastbreak.* *;D

mighty_lion
12-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I can recall a friend who mutates to a Magic Johnson pag-nanonoud ang girlfriend. Plays center, forward and guard with 101% tenacity. And damn, he rebound, dribble, set up plays and shoot the ball himself as if he has no teammates. Magic sans willingness to pass the ball ;D

LION
12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
^ And he is absent from work the next day due to sore muscles. ;D

bchoter
12-20-2007, 06:34 PM
^^
Play 1: Shoots the 3. If he makes it, he'd raise his 3 fingers sabay takbong mayaman. If he misses... looks at his hands, wipes them with his shorts, then shakes his head.
Play 2: Drive to the lane for a floater. If he makes it, he'll stare at the opposing team's big man sabay takbong mayaman. If he misses, he'd call a foul. Nana... nana... nanana... heeeyyy.....Play 3: Pick and roll with the big man (of course he rolls :D). chest bumps the big man sabay takbong mayaman. If he makes it, he'd pat the big man's back and say... good pass. If he misses, looks disgustedly at the big man and shakes his head.
Play 4: Passes to the wings, takes a hard cut towards the lane, get's a return pass and shoots. Points at the wingman sabay takbong mayaman. If he misses, he'd glare at the wingman and make a passing motion with his arms.

mighty_lion
12-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Sapul ;)

ESCALERA JR.
12-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Pero pag may mga nanunood na chikas we can always summon our reserve energy to play "whole court".* *Medyo dayain mo na lang sa depensa at antay antay ka na lang ng fastbreak.* *;D

Tama, ganyan na nga ang ginagawa ko ngayon. Palibhasa puro mas bata ang kakampi ko, dinadaan ko na lang sa "senioriity". Pero nung binigyan ako ng 2 sunod na fastbreak, muntikan na tayong ma-himatay. ;D

Maligayang Pasko sa inyong mga Bedista. Masaya na naman ang taon ninyo. Iba talaga kapag Kampeon noh. Parang laging takbong mayaman kahit hindi naglalaro.

Merry Christmas to all Gamefacers! :)

mighty_lion
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Advance Merry Christmas din sayo Sir Escalera. :)

freak
02-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Weekend futsal games ;)

blue scorpion
04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Guys, tryout this place in Katipunan right across Ateneo. It is FriiSpirit Fitenss and Fun. It is located on G/F One Burgundy Plaza, Katipunan Ave., Loyola Heights, QC.
You get to experience playing on 6ft x 6ft projector screens or LCD TVs and relax on our cozy bean bag couches.

You can play virtual boxing and tennis on Wii Sports, Jam on Guitar Hero and Get your horror fix on Resident Evil.

Rates start for as low as P50 an hour

Sam Miguel
11-03-2011, 11:32 AM
From the New York Times - - -

The Once and Future Way to Run

By CHRISTOPHER McDOUGALL

When you’re stalking barefoot runners, camouflage helps. “Some of them get kind of prancy when they notice you filming,” Peter Larson says. “They put on this notion of what they think barefoot running should be. It looks weird.” Larson, an evolutionary biologist at Saint Anselm College in New Hampshire who has been on the barefoot beat for two years now, is also a stickler about his timing. “You don’t want to catch them too early in a run, when they’re cold, or too late, when they’re tired.”

If everything comes together just right, you’ll be exactly where Larson was one Sunday morning in September: peeking out from behind a tree on Governors Island in New York Harbor, his digital video camera nearly invisible on an ankle-high tripod, as the Second Annual New York City Barefoot Run got under way about a quarter-mile up the road. Hundreds of runners — men and women, young and old, athletic and not so much so, natives from 11 different countries — came pattering down the asphalt straight toward his viewfinder.

About half of them were actually barefoot. The rest wore Vibram FiveFingers — a rubber foot glove with no heel cushion or arch support — or Spartacus-style sandals, or other superlight “minimalist” running shoes. Larson surreptitiously recorded them all, wondering how many (if any) had what he was looking for: the lost secret of perfect running.

It’s what Alberto Salazar, for a while the world’s dominant marathoner and now the coach of some of America’s top distance runners, describes in mythical-questing terms as the “one best way” — not the fastest, necessarily, but the best: an injury-proof, evolution-tested way to place one foot on the ground and pick it up before the other comes down. Left, right, repeat; that’s all running really is, a movement so natural that babies learn it the first time they rise to their feet. Yet sometime between childhood and adulthood — and between the dawn of our species and today — most of us lose the knack.

We were once the greatest endurance runners on earth. We didn’t have fangs, claws, strength or speed, but the springiness of our legs and our unrivaled ability to cool our bodies by sweating rather than panting enabled humans to chase prey until it dropped from heat exhaustion. Some speculate that collaboration on such hunts led to language, then shared technology. Running arguably made us the masters of the world.

So how did one of our greatest strengths become such a liability? “The data suggests up to 79 percent of all runners are injured every year,” says Stephen Messier, the director of the J. B. Snow Biomechanics Laboratory at Wake Forest University. “What’s more, those figures have been consistent since the 1970s.” Messier is currently 11 months into a study for the U.S. Army and estimates that 40 percent of his 200 subjects will be hurt within a year. “It’s become a serious public health crisis.”

Nothing seems able to check it: not cross-training, not stretching, not $400 custom-molded orthotics, not even softer surfaces. And those special running shoes everyone thinks he needs? In 40 years, no study has ever shown that they do anything to reduce injuries. On the contrary, the U.S. Army’s Public Health Command concluded in a report in 2010, drawing on three large-scale studies of thousands of military personnel, that using shoes tailored to individual foot shapes had “little influence on injuries.”

Two years ago, in my book, “Born to Run,” I suggested we don’t need smarter shoes; we need smarter feet. I’d gone into Mexico’s Copper Canyon to learn from the Tarahumara Indians, who tackle 100-mile races well into their geriatric years. I was a broken-down, middle-aged, ex-runner when I arrived. Nine months later, I was transformed. After getting rid of my cushioned shoes and adopting the Tarahumaras’ whisper-soft stride, I was able to join them for a 50-mile race through the canyons. I haven’t lost a day of running to injury since.

“Barefoot-style” shoes are now a $1.7 billion industry. But simply putting something different on your feet doesn’t make you a gliding Tarahumara. The “one best way” isn’t about footwear. It’s about form. Learn to run gently, and you can wear anything. Fail to do so, and no shoe — or lack of shoe — will make a difference.

That’s what Peter Larson discovered when he reviewed his footage after the New York City Barefoot Run. “It amazed me how many people in FiveFingers were still landing on their heels,” he says. They wanted to land lightly on their forefeet, or they wouldn’t be in FiveFingers, but there was a disconnect between their intentions and their actual movements. “Once we develop motor patterns, they’re very difficult to unlearn,” Larson explains. “Especially if you’re not sure what it’s supposed to feel like.”

The only way to halt the running-injury epidemic, it seems, is to find a simple, foolproof method to relearn what the Tarahumara never forgot. A one best way to the one best way.

Earlier this year, I may have found it. I was leafing through the back of an out-of-print book, a collection of runners’ biographies called “The Five Kings of Distance,” when I came across a three-page essay from 1908 titled “W. G. George’s Own Account From the 100-Up Exercise.” According to legend, this single drill turned a 16-year-old with almost no running experience into the foremost racer of his day.

I read George’s words: “By its constant practice and regular use alone, I have myself established many records on the running path and won more amateur track-championships than any other individual.” And it was safe, George said: the 100-Up is “incapable of harm when practiced discreetly.”

Could it be that simple? That day, I began experimenting on myself.

When I called Mark Cucuzzella to tell him about my find, he cut me off midsentence. “When can you get down here?” he demanded.

“Here” is Two River Treads, a “natural” shoe store sandwiched between Maria’s Taqueria and German Street Coffee & Candlery in Shepherdstown, W.Va., which, against all odds, Cucuzzella has turned into possibly the country’s top learning center for the reinvention of running.

“What if people found out running can be totally fun no matter what kind of injuries they’ve had?” Cucuzzella said when I visited him last summer. “What if they could see — ” he jerked a thumb back toward his chest — “Exhibit A?”

Cucuzzella is a physician, a professor at West Virginia University’s Department of Family Medicine and an Air Force Reserve flight surgeon. Despite the demands of family life and multiple jobs, he still managed enough early-morning miles in his early 30s to routinely run marathons at a 5:30-per-mile pace. But he constantly battled injuries; at age 34, severe degenerative arthritis led to foot surgery. If he continued to run, his surgeon warned, the arthritis and pain would return.

Cucuzzella was despondent, until he began to wonder if there was some kind of furtive, Ninja way to run, as if you were sneaking up on someone. Cucuzzella threw himself into research and came across the work of, among others, Nicholas Romanov, a sports scientist in the former Soviet Union who developed a running technique he called the Pose Method. Romanov essentially had three rules: no cushioned shoes, no pushing off from the toes and, most of all, no landing on the heel.

Once Cucuzzella got used to this new style, it felt suspiciously easy, more like playful bouncing than serious running. As a test, he entered the Marine Corps Marathon. Six months after being told he should never run again, he finished in 2:28, just four minutes off his personal best.

“It was the beginning of a new life,” Cucuzzella told me. “I couldn’t believe that after a medical education and 20 years of running, so much of what I’d been taught about the body was being turned on its head.” Two weeks before turning 40, he won the Air Force Marathon and has since completed five other marathons under 2:35. Shortly before his 45th birthday this past September, he beat men half his age to win the Air Force Marathon again. He was running more on less training than 10 years before, but “felt fantastic.”

When he tried to spread the word, however, he encountered resistance. At a Runner’s World forum I attended before the Boston Marathon in April 2010, he told the story of how he bounced back from a lifetime of injuries by learning to run barefoot and relying on his legs’ natural shock absorption. Martyn Shorten, the former director of the Nike Sports Research Lab who now conducts tests on shoes up for review in Runner’s World, followed him to the microphone. “A physician talking about biomechanics — I guess I should talk about how to perform an appendectomy,” Shorten said. He then challenged Cucuzzella’s belief that cushioned shoes do more harm than good.

No matter. Cucuzzella went home and began hosting his own conferences. Peter Larson traveled from New Hampshire for Cucuzzella’s first gathering on a snowy weekend this past January. “I was a bit curious about how many people might show up to such an event in rural West Virginia,” Larson says. “Were the panelists going to outnumber the audience?” In fact, more than 150 attendees crowded right up to the dais.

Since then, West Virginia has become a destination for a growing number of those who are serious about the grass-roots reinvention of running. Galahad Clark, a seventh-generation shoemaker who created the Vivobarefoot line, flew in from London with the British running coach Lee Saxby for a one-day meeting with Cucuzzella. International researchers like Craig Richards, from Australia, and Hiro Tanaka, chairman of Exercise Physiology at the University of Fukuoka, have also visited, as well as scientists from a dozen different American states.

“He has turned a small town in an obese state into a running-crazed bastion of health,” Larson says. “Mark’s effort in transforming Shepherdstown is a testament to what a single person can accomplish.”

Not that he has everything figured out. I was at one of Cucuzzella’s free barefoot running clinics in May when he confronted his big problem: how do you actually teach this stuff? He had about 60 of us practicing drills on a grassy playground. “Now to run,” he said, “just bend forward from the ankles.” We all looked down at our ankles.

“No, no,” Cucuzzella said. “Posture, remember? Keep your heads up.”

We lifted our heads, and most of us then forgot to lean from the ankles. At that moment, a young girl flashed past us on her way to the monkey bars. Her back was straight, her head was high and her bare feet skittered along right under her hips.

“You mean like — ” someone said, pointing after the girl.

“Right,” Cucuzzella said. “Just watch her.”

So what ruined running for the rest of us who aren’t Tarahumara or 10 years old?

Back in the ’60s, Americans “ran way more and way faster in the thinnest little shoes, and we never got hurt,” Amby Burfoot, a longtime Runner’s World editor and former Boston Marathon champion, said during a talk before the Lehigh Valley Half-Marathon I attended last year. “I never even remember talking about injuries back then,” Burfoot said. “So you’ve got to wonder what’s changed.”

Bob Anderson knows at least one thing changed, because he watched it happen. As a high-school senior in 1966, he started Distance Running News, a twice-yearly magazine whose growth was so great that Anderson dropped out of college four years later to publish it full time as Runner’s World. Around then, another fledgling operation called Blue Ribbon Sports was pioneering cushioned running shoes; it became Nike. Together, the magazine and its biggest advertiser rode the running boom — until Anderson decided to see whether the shoes really worked.

“Some consumer advocate needed to test this stuff,” Anderson told me. He hired Peter Cavanagh, of the Penn State University biomechanics lab, to stress-test new products mechanically. “We tore the shoes apart,” Anderson says. He then graded shoes on a scale from zero to five stars and listed them from worst to first.

When a few of Nike’s shoes didn’t fare so well in the 1981 reviews, the company pulled its $1 million advertising contract with Runner’s World. Nike already had started its own magazine, Running, which would publish shoe reviews and commission star writers like Ken Kesey and Hunter S. Thompson.

“Nike would never advertise with me again,” Anderson says. “That hurt us bad.” In 1985, Anderson sold Runner’s World to Rodale, which, he says, promptly abolished his grading system. Today, every shoe in Runner’s World is effectively “recommended” for one kind of runner or another. David Willey, the magazine’s current editor, says that it only tests shoes that “are worth our while.” After Nike closed its magazine, it took its advertising back to Runner’s World. (Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, says she was unable to find someone to comment about this episode.)

“It’s a grading system where you can only get an A,” says Anderson, who went on to become the founder and chief executive of Ujena Swimwear.

Just as the shoe reviews were changing, so were the shoes: fear, the greatest of marketing tools, entered the game. Instead of being sold as performance accessories, running shoes were rebranded as safety items, like bike helmets and smoke alarms. Consumers were told they’d get hurt, perhaps for life, if they didn’t buy the “right” shoes. It was an audacious move that flew in the face of several biological truths: humans had thrived as running animals for two million years without corrective shoes, and asphalt was no harder than the traditional hunting terrains of the African savanna.

Sam Miguel
11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Cont'd from above - - -

The Once and Future Way to Run

In 1985, Benno Nigg, founder and currently co-director of the University of Calgary’s Human Performance Lab, floated the notion that impact and rear-foot motion (called pronation) were dangerous. His work helped spur an arms race of experimental technology to counter those risks with plush heels and wedged shoes. Running magazines spread the new gospel. To this day, Runner’s World tells beginners that their first workout should be opening their wallets: “Go to a specialty running store . . . you’ll leave with a comfortable pair of shoes that will have you running pain- and injury-free.”

Nigg now believes mistakes were made. “Initial results were often overinterpreted and were partly responsible for a few ‘blunders’ in sport-shoe construction,” he said in a speech to the International Society of Biomechanics in 2005. The belief in the need for cushioning and pronation control, he told me, was, in retrospect, “completely wrong thinking.” His stance was seconded in June 2010, when The British Journal of Sports Medicine reported that a study of 105 women enrolled in a 13-week half-marathon training program found that every single runner who was given motion-control shoes to control excess foot pronation was injured. “You don’t need any protection at all except for cold and, like, gravel,” Nigg now says.

Of course, the only way to know what shoes have done to runners would be to travel back to a time when no one ever wore them. So that’s what one anthropologist has effectively done. In 2009, Daniel Lieberman, chairman of Harvard’s human evolutionary biology department, located a school in Kenya where no one wore shoes. Lieberman noticed something unusual: while most runners in shoes come down hard on their heels, these barefoot Kenyans tended to land softly on the balls of their feet.

Back at the lab, Lieberman found that barefoot runners land with almost zero initial impact shock. Heel-strikers, by comparison, collide with the ground with a force equal to as much as three times their body weight. “Most people today think barefoot running is dangerous and hurts, but actually you can run barefoot on the world’s hardest surfaces without the slightest discomfort and pain.”

Lieberman, who is 47 and a six-time marathoner, was so impressed by the results of his research that he began running barefoot himself. So has Irene Davis, director of Harvard Medical School’s Spaulding National Running Center. “I didn’t run myself for 30 years because of injuries,” Davis says. “I used to prescribe orthotics. Now, honest to God, I run 20 miles a week, and I haven’t had an injury since I started going barefoot.”

Last fall, at the end of a local 10-mile trail race, I surprised myself by finishing five minutes faster than I had four years ago, when I was in much better shape. I figured the result was a fluke — until it happened again. No special prep, awful travel schedule and yet a personal best in a six-mile race.

“I don’t get it,” I told Cucuzzella this past June when we went for a run together through the Shepherd University campus in Shepherdstown. “I’m four years older. I’m pretty sure I’m heavier. I’m not doing real workouts, just whatever I feel like each day. The only difference is I’ve been 100-Upping.”

It was five months since I discovered W.S. George’s “100-Up,” and I’d been doing the exercise regularly. In George’s essay, he says he invented the 100-Up in 1874, when he was an 16-year-old chemist’s apprentice in England and could train only during his lunch hour. By Year 2 of his experiment, the overworked lab assistant was the fastest amateur miler in England. By Year 5, he held world records in everything from the half-mile to 10 miles.

So is it possible that a 19th-century teenager succeeded where 21st-century technology has failed?

“Absolutely, yes,” says Steve Magness, a sports scientist who works with top Olympic prospects at Nike’s elite “Oregon Project.” He was hired by Alberto Salazar to create, essentially, a squad of anti-Salazars. Despite his domination of the marathon in the ’80s, Salazar was plagued with knee and hamstring problems. He was also a heel-striker, which he has described as “having a tire with a nail in it.” Magness’s brief is to find ways to teach Nike runners to run barefoot-style and puncture-proof their legs.

“From what you’re telling me, it sounds promising,” Magness told me. “I’d love to see it in action.”

Mark Cucuzzella was just as eager. “All right,” he said in the middle of our run. “Let’s get a look at this.” I snapped a twig and dropped the halves on the ground about eight inches apart to form targets for my landings. The 100-Up consists of two parts. For the “Minor,” you stand with both feet on the targets and your arms cocked in running position. “Now raise one knee to the height of the hip,” George writes, “bring the foot back and down again to its original position, touching the line lightly with the ball of the foot, and repeat with the other leg.”

That’s all there is to it. But it’s not so easy to hit your marks 100 times in a row while maintaining balance and proper knee height. Once you can, it’s on to the Major: “The body must be balanced on the ball of the foot, the heels being clear of the ground and the head and body being tilted very slightly forward. . . . Now, spring from the toe, bringing the knee to the level of the hip. . . . Repeat with the other leg and continue raising and lowering the legs alternately. This action is exactly that of running.”

Cucuzzella didn’t like it as a teaching method — he loved it. “It makes so much physiological and anatomical sense,” he said. “The key to injury-free running is balance, elasticity, stability in midstance and cadence. You’ve got all four right there.”

Cucuzzella began trying it himself. As I watched, I recalled another lone inventor, a Czechoslovakian soldier who dreamed up a similar drill: he’d throw dirty clothes in the bathtub with soap and water, then jog on top. You can’t heel strike or overstride on slippery laundry. There’s only one way to run in a tub: the one best way.

At the 1952 Olympics, Emil Zatopek became the only runner ever to win gold medals in all three distance events: 5,000 meters, 10,000 meters and the marathon, the first he ever ran. Granted, “the Human Locomotive” wasn’t a pretty sight. During his final push to the finish line, his head would loll and his arms would grab at the air “as if he’d just been stabbed through the heart,” as one sportswriter put it.

But from the waist down, Zatopek was always quick, light and springy, like a kid swooping across a playground — or like this once-arthritic physician in front of me, laughing with excitement as he hopped up and down in his bare feet in a parking lot.

mighty_lion
11-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Pagsinabi ni Misis na maglaba at mamalantsa, isipin mo nalang exercise din yun. For extra calorie burn maglinis ka na rin kusina at banyo. ;D

maroonmartian
11-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Mamelengke po ng maaga. Grabe ang aga magbukas at Philippine public market.

I'm raving also this sport, walking. Saan? Sa palengke.Pero iniiba-iba ko ruta ko para di magsawa. Also trying to improve on Aikido.

Joescoundrel
04-03-2018, 07:46 AM
6 AMAZING CORE EXERCISES YOU SHOULD BE DOING IF YOU’RE A RUNNER

by Herwig Natmessnig | 17.07.2016

If you like to run or are thinking about starting to run, you should immediately consider the importance of a strong core! Plenty of runners underestimate the power of adequately equipped abdominal muscles. If you want to improve your running endurance and form, you want to keep your core activated with every step you take.

GET YOUR RUNNING FORM IN CHECK

Your pelvis and trunk have to be stabilized while running, especially because of the shifting of weight from one leg to another. When you’re running, your back muscles and abs are working hard to stabilize your entire body. The connection of your muscles and bones in areas like the spine, shoulder girdle and pelvis help you keep that upright and stable posture you should have while running.

A stable upper body is vital for efficient running form. If you have weak core muscles, you are more likely to compensate with other inefficient movements. This decreases the power of the push off, thus reducing the effectiveness of your steps. That’s why upper body strength training for runners is inalienable.

STAY INJURY-FREE AND HAVE FUN

When talking about a strong core, it’s really important that we dig a bit deeper into the benefits beyond running performance. Post-run back pain is a common complaint among runners and is often the result of weak back muscles. Running is a high-impact sport in which your body is subject to forces of up to three or four times your body weight. Over time, these small impacts can cause the intervertebral discs in your spine to lose fluid and shrink. When this happens, the ability to absorb the shock from running is reduced. Don’t worry, when we sleep this fluid loss is replenished and the discs return back to their original size. But, the stronger your core is, the better equipped the muscles are to keep your spine stable and your runs injury free and fun!

THE 6 BEST EXERCISES FOR A STRONG BACK AND ABS

These bodyweight exercises can be done by anyone and everyone – not just runners. But, they are particularly good for runners because they help to develop that stability and strength for efficient running we talked about earlier.

- Perform 3 rounds of 8-12 reps
- Rest 90 seconds between rounds
- Incorporate these exercises into your routine 2x per week (rest 48 hours in between sessions)
- Make sure you do warm-up exercises first for approx. 15 minutes
- This workout is great for something extra after a run

1. LUNGE AND TWIST

Start:
Stand with your feet hip-width apart, core engaged and back straight. Open your arms out to the side with palms facing forward and hands at shoulder height.

How to perform the exercise:
Step forward into a lunge with your left leg. Be sure that your left knee does not go beyond the tip of the left shoe. Rotate your torso and turn your upper body to the left. Hold that position for 2 seconds (Note: Are your shoulders scrunching up to your ears? Keep them down!). Then return your body back to center and switch sides.

2. LOW SIDE PLANK WITH LEG LIFT AND SWING

Start:
Begin in a low side plank position. Make sure that your elbow is directly under your shoulder and your core is engaged (of course!). Additionally, activate your glutes and legs. Tuck your hips under to lock your pelvis into a safe and stable position. Ideally, your shoulders, hips and legs should form a straight line. Rest your upper hand on your thigh or put your hand on your hip.

Lift your top leg up in the air. Activate that core throughout the entire exercise. Keep your hips stacked on top of each other and your pelvis straight. Move your leg forward and backward. The idea is to perform this exercise in a controlled manner, so make sure you hold each position for about 2 seconds to really get the most out of the exercise. Return to the starting side plank position and then switch to the other side.

3. MARCHING BRIDGE

Start:
Lie down on your back and start to activate your abs. Focus on eliminating the low-back arch by keeping it flat against the floor. Bend your knees at a 90 degree angle with your feet flat on the floor. Your arms can just rest right by your side, palms facing down.

Press through the heels of your feet to lift your hips off of the floor and engage your glutes. Your shoulders, pelvis and knees should form a straight line. Lift your left leg up, maintaining the 90 degree angle with the leg, and hold this positon for 2 seconds. Your foot should be flexed the entire time. Control the release of your foot back onto the floor and then switch to the other side.

4. QUADRUPED LIMB RAISES

Start:
Start on all fours. Your hands should be shoulder-width apart and your knees directly underneath your hips. Bend your elbows slightly, spread the fingers wide and activate through the palms of the hands by pressing into the ground. Make sure your core is activated, eliminating any arch in the back. Be sure that your upper back is awake and ready. Your shoulders blades should not be squeezing together. Finally, pull those shoulders down and away from the ears.

Extend your left arm forward and your right leg back, lengthening between the heel of your right foot to the tip of your left finger tips. Keep your foot flexed throughout the movement. Hold the position for about 2 seconds and then return to the starting position. Don’t forget to do the other side 🙂

5. QUADRUPED TRUNK ROTATION AND CRUNCH

Start:
Once again, we will start this exercise on all fours. Make sure you go through all the form checkpoints mentioned in the previous exercise to start this one as well.

How to perform this exercise:
Lightly place your right hand on the back of your head. Keep a tight core as you lift your left leg and bring your left knee to your right elbow. Then, rotate your upper body to the right while simultaneously lifting your left leg up to the side. Be sure to maintain a 90 degree angle with the leg. Be sure that your hips are square to the ground throughout the exercise. Hold each position for 2 seconds before returning to start. Both sides, please.

6. HIGH PLANK KNEE-TO-ELBOW + SIDE KNEE RAISE

Start:
Start out in a high plank position. Your hands underneath your shoulders and, of course, shoulder-width apart. Keep a slight bend in your elbow, engage your glutes and activate the core to keep your back straight. Your shoulders and hips should be in a straight line.

How to perform this exercise:
Keep that strong high plank position. Bring your left knee to the outside of your left elbow first. Then raise that knee out to the side maintaining a 90 degree angle with the leg. Control the movement and be sure to hold both positions for 2 seconds. Your shoulders and hips should always form a straight line. Keep your hips square to the ground and your glutes and hips tucked and tight throughout the exercise. Return to the starting position and switch to the other side.

Ready to mix up your running training? Cross-training is the answer! By trying another sport like climbing, rowing, slacklining, stand up paddling or kayaking to improve that core strength, coordination and stabilization, you will inevitably improve your running!

Now you’re ready to transform your body completely with our bodyweight training app, right? Runtastic Results helps get your entire body fit and strong…just what you need to give your running performance that extra kick!

Joescoundrel
04-03-2018, 07:49 AM
8 STRENGTH TRAINING & NUTRITION TIPS FOR TODAY’S RUNNERS

by Runtastic Team | 30.11.2017

by James Poole
Captain of adidas Runners London

If you went back 30 or 40 years and spoke to a competitive runner, you would have found a very different training regime to that of the modern athlete. The runner of old became strong from a diet of high mileage and hard workouts. Food was simply the way to fuel the body for the next workout and a banana and bottle of water would get them through a race or training session.

Today, a runner needs to think about more than logging miles and eating the odd banana. Most will spend their days in an office seated in front of a screen. Long periods of inactivity, poor posture and hectic lifestyles are hardly conducive to injury-free running. In fact, depending on which research study you read, as many as 8 out of 10 runners will get injured over the next 12 months.

The good news is that there are some easy wins for beginner and experienced runners alike. Strength and conditioning exercises, in particular, are not difficult to learn and can be carried out at the end of a run. Start with around ten minutes of strength exercises (or five to six exercises) after your run and build from there. Try some of these below.

1. COMPOUND MOVEMENTS
The best exercises for runners focus on movement, not muscles. Compound, multi-joint exercises such as deadlifts, squats, pull-ups and step-ups onto a raised platform are perfect examples. This sort of exercise is actually very similar to the functional movement we do in everyday life: picking things up, and pulling or pushing things.

2. BODYWEIGHT EXERCISES
Combine compound movements with bodyweight exercises to create a balanced workout. The great thing about bodyweight routines is that they can help you recover from running while still building the strength necessary to help prevent future overuse injuries. A 10-minute program of lunges, side planks, push-ups and side leg lifts completed after easy runs can be an ideal way to keep injury at bay.

3. HIP FLEXIBILITY
The majority of running injuries are caused by weak hips — a major problem area for runners who sit for most of the day. Runners should include glute and hip-oriented exercises since these two muscle groups are the main drivers of the running stride. Lateral leg raises, pistol squats (one-legged squats), clam shells and hip hikes will all help improve the firing pattern and develop stronger muscles.

4. BUILD SLOWLY
It’s important that strength and conditioning sessions are not viewed as a HIIT class. Runners should start with a few exercises done slowly and with good technique. The body adapts best to working multiple muscles groups, so add a variety of movements and exercises to get the full benefit.

5. FOCUS ON A BALANCED DIET
Advancements in sports nutrition have also made huge leaps over the past few decades, and a good balance of fat, protein and carbohydrate is now considered essential for a healthy body. Where once a runner might have fuelled on a bowl of porridge and a banana, now a dizzying range of powders, gels, blocks and bars are available in running stores and supermarkets alike. While these training and racing aids have made runners’ lives infinitely more convenient, they also present a mind-blowing array of options.

6. FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
There are a massive number of options on the market, so try a few in training and work out what you like. Nutrition products can be an effective and convenient way of getting protein, good fats and carbohydrates into the body. But don’t forget that there are plenty of natural options available as well. Dates, figs, bananas, avocados and milk can all offer natural alternatives to nutrition products.

7. BEWARE OF OVERCOMPENSATING
In the period before a race, training volume typically increases and a runner can begin to feel hungry more often. The insatiable hunger can mean individuals look to higher-calorie foods to “reward” themselves and satisfy the cravings. On average, a runner will burn around 600-800 calories on a one-hour run, equivalent to the calories in a burger and fries. A small amount of protein and carbohydrate immediately after the run can help curb these cravings and prevent unwanted weight gain.

8. DON’T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY
The temptation to try something new on race day is strong. Lacklustre training, race day nerves or the desire to knock a few minutes off a personal best are all factors that encourage runners to try something different when it matters most. Runners should avoid this temptation and stick to what they have rehearsed in training. Playing Russian roulette with your GI tract come race day can end in an unpleasant race at best or numerous trips to the portaloo at worst.

Whether you are a competitive runner or just starting out, looking after your body is essential for longevity in running and maximum enjoyment. Paying some attention to strengthening muscles and tendons and fuelling yourself properly before, during and after a run, can lead to a long and fruitful running experience.

About James:

James Poole is captain of adidas Runners London, a global running community that connects like-minded people through run clubs, socially and at events, such as adidas City Runs – a new series of closed road, mass participation races.

Joescoundrel
04-03-2018, 07:54 AM
IMPROVE YOUR RUNNING FORM WITH THESE 5 WARM-UP DRILLS

by Runtastic Team | 27.07.2017

Good running form might come more naturally to some, but it’s certainly a skill that can be learned. Running with good technique will make you quicker, more efficient and less likely to get injured. Include a combination of these 5 drills in your pre-run warm-up so that you’re prepared to run with good technique.

5 DRILLS YOU CAN START USING TODAY:

1. HIGH KNEES

This drill gets those knees up and gets you running with a high knee drive! A higher knee drive means bigger strides, and bigger strides typically lead to a faster runner. You don’t need to cover a lot of ground – just 30 to 50 meters. Make sure to bring your knee up to hip height before putting it down again (don’t stride forward). This drill also engages your arms. As your knee comes up, swing and drive your opposite arm upwards. This should be a rapid drill, so alternate your legs as fast as possible.

2. BUTT KICKS

Butt kicks get your hamstrings working and help you develop a quicker stride rate and a longer stride. Using small steps, almost running in place, quickly lift one foot to your glutes, or just under, and then straight down again (don’t stride forward) – bonus points if you can actually kick your glutes! You should cover a small amount of ground during the drill, about 30 to 50 meters. This is also a quick drill with a fast turnover, so alternate your legs as fast as possible.

3. STRIDES
Strides get you practicing good running technique as well as running at a fast pace. They should be done over 100m. Start from standing, speed up to a jog and then keep accelerating until you’re running at approximately 95% of your top speed over the last 10 meters. Go, go, go!

4. A-SKIP & B-SKIP
A-Skip

A-skips (which you can see at 0:30 in the video above) build leg strength and a good knee lift and promote an efficient foot strike. You should be taking small skips, with one knee coming to waist height while the other leg stays as straight as possible. Make sure to land on your mid or forefoot and don’t forget to engage your arms! Both feet should touch the ground at roughly the same time. Do this for 30 to 50 meters.

B-Skip

B-skips are similar to A-skips, but instead of bringing the working leg to waist height, kick it out in front of you to waist height, or just below, during the skip. It should then come down to join your back leg and touch the ground at the same time.

5. CARIOCA

Pronounced “ka-ree-o-ka”, this drill involves lots of twisting movements. This drill is about ground contact time and will give you a quicker turnover. You need to move laterally for this drill. Start by bringing your right foot over your left foot and move your hips to the left as you do so. Then rotate to the right as you bring your left foot over your right foot, while moving your right foot backward. This switching should be one fluid and constant movement – ensure you travel sideways! Make sure your torso is moving with your feet. When you bring your right foot over your left, you should rotate your torso left and bring your left arm across your body in a twisting motion. Move laterally for about 50 meters and then head in the opposite direction.

Now’s the time! Get to it and try out these drills! They don’t take much time and can really impact your running form and performance. High knees and butt kicks can be included in every running warm-up, but feel free to mix and match the others and create your own running drills workout. Your running form is sure to improve if you do these drills 2-3 times per week.

Joescoundrel
04-03-2018, 07:56 AM
THE 6 KEY DOS & DON’TS FOR RUNNERS

by Runtastic Team | 14.04.2017

Whether you are a beginner or have been running for years, there are several basic rules that every runner should follow. Here are the 6 most important dos and don’ts.

DOS:

1. START OUT SLOWLY
Naturally, you are very motivated at the beginning and want to reach your goal as fast as possible. So what happens? You start off too fast and overexertion, side aches and pain are the price you pay. Your body needs time to warm up. Therefore, run the first kilometer at a moderate pace, i.e. where you can easily hold a conversation. That way you won’t burn yourself out on your long runs.

2. ADD VARIETY TO YOUR RUNNING WORKOUTS
If you always run the same loop at the same pace, at some point you will plateau and stop making progress. Break out of your comfort zone and mix up your workout routine! You can challenge your body in new ways with a variety of running workouts like interval and tempo runs, hill sprints or running on different surfaces.

Also, how about doing some cross training with strength training or other endurance sports?

3. SCHEDULE REST DAYS
Your rest days are just as important as regular training. Make sure to get plenty of recovery. You don’t want to be tired and exhausted, especially when you are preparing for a marathon.

So what are you waiting for? Download the Runtastic app today and start tracking your runs!

DON’TS:

1. EAT A BIG MEAL BEFORE YOUR WORKOUT
You order a big cheeseburger and fries although you have an afternoon run planned? This is definitely the wrong food choice and will slow you down during your training. You won’t be setting a new personal best on that day! Fatty, high-fiber and spicy foods are all a bad idea before running. A high-carb snack like a small bowl of oatmeal or a banana gives you the power you need without weighing you down. Also, make sure to leave plenty of time between when you eat and when you start your run.

2. HIT THE ROAD WITHOUT WARMING UP
A warm-up is designed to prepare your muscles for the upcoming workout. Warming up properly can improve your performance and prevent injuries. You can find the best stretches for warming up before a run on the Runtastic Blog.

3. NEVER CHANGE YOUR SHOES
Running shoes also have an expiration date. Just think of how many kilometers you put on them in a year. There are several factors that influence the lifespan of your running shoes such as your weight, the age of the shoe, your running form, your shoe size, the shoe model and the surfaces you run on. As a rule of thumb, you should change your running shoes every 500 km (300 miles). This helps you avoid injuries.

Our tip: Thanks to the integrated Shoe Tracking feature, the Runtastic App reminds you when it is time to purchase a new pair of running shoes!

Joescoundrel
04-03-2018, 07:59 AM
HOW TO BOOST YOUR METABOLISM AND BURN FAT BY RUNNING

by Sascha Wingenfeld | 02.04.2018

Everyone burns fat differently. How much depends on a person’s gender, age and weight, as well as genetic factors. While many people are blessed with a good metabolism and don’t have to do much to reach their desired weight, others have a very hard time losing weight. But the good news is that even if you are not one of the lucky ones who is born with a fat-burning engine, you can still learn how to boost your metabolism. In today’s blog post, expert Sascha Wingenfeld explains how you can lose weight by running.

CARDIO TRAINING: THE BEST PLACE FOR BEGINNING RUNNERS TO START
Are you looking for the best way to burn fat and boost your metabolism? Are you a running beginner? Then regular cardio training is the best thing for you. “Running or walking are the best ways to train your metabolism to get the energy it needs from your fat reserves,” explains running expert Sascha. The idea is to train your body to use stored fat to fuel your muscles. This process builds the base for more intense workouts in the future. Cardio training is best for beginners because the workouts are done at low intensity.

A word of caution:

Unfortunately, the total number of calories burned by easy cardio training is relatively low. However, it has been shown that beginner runners who initially burn 10 g of fat per 30-minute workout, are able to increase their burn to 30 g after only 12 weeks.

INTERVAL TRAINING FOR MORE ADVANCED RUNNERS
More advanced runners should do at least one fat-burning interval training per week. “These workouts burn a higher number of calories due to the increased intensity. Your body also requires a longer time to recover which helps you continue to torch calories after your workout is over.”

A word of caution:

Interval training puts a lot of stress on your body, especially your heart and muscles. Therefore, it is only suited for experienced runners. It is also important to work in some easy cardio training between your interval workouts.

MUSCLE BUILDING AND STRENGTH TRAINING
Whereas the focus of your training at the beginning is improving the supply of energy to your muscles, strength training is about burning the fat provided by your metabolism: one extra kg of muscle burns an additional 50 calories per day. It is for this reason that your muscles are known as the “fat-burning furnace.” Since the running workouts described above do not particularly challenge or build all your muscles, you should include one or two strength workouts per week in your training. “Make sure to focus on large muscle groups or chains. These workouts promise the biggest gains. Whether you prefer to do bodyweight training with the Results app or lift weights is up to you,” says the running expert. Here, once again, a good mix of the two is probably the best recipe for success.

SWITCH UP YOUR TRAINING FOR LASTING SUCCESS
Sascha points out that “when you want to lose weight by running, you’ll have a lot of success at the beginning as each workout will bring you closer to your goal.” However, it is important to keep your metabolism revved up. You need to continually challenge your body so it doesn’t get used to the effort of running the same loop every day. This way your body is forced to provide more energy through its metabolic processes.

Tip for runners:

Try to never do the same workout two days in a row. Switch regularly between cardio, strength and interval training and don’t forget to include rest days for recovery. This will force your body to adapt to new and varying training stimuli.

STICK WITH IT AND SET NEW GOALS
Runners who succeed in keeping their metabolism in high gear reap the benefits of an increased fat oxidation rate (fat burning) and a higher basal metabolic rate. Make sure to set new goals to stay motivated. “But keep in mind that your body gets used to the new training stimuli after a while and the more often you train, the more efficiently it works,” explains the running expert. Therefore, it is important to cross-train (engage in other types of workouts) if you want to lose weight by running.

If you want to maintain your weight and boost your metabolism in the long run, you should also keep an eye on your nutrition. “The important thing in the long-term is to find your own perfect mix of exercise and nutrition or, in other words, the right balance between energy intake and expenditure.”

So, do you feel like running after reading this article? Then download the Runtastic app today and start tracking your runs.

Joescoundrel
04-03-2018, 08:03 AM
6 REASONS RUNNING ISN’T LEADING TO WEIGHT LOSS

by Tina Muir | 29.03.2018

Whether we will admit it or not, part of the reason we all run is to keep the weight off. To stay healthy and live a long, happy life. Running is not always the most enjoyable form of exercise, but it is definitely effective, and besides, doesn’t that mean we get to enjoy a few more of those sweets without feeling guilty?

Today, we are going to look into the reasons why you might not be losing weight as quickly as you thought you would, or even gaining weight as you begin to run more.

By becoming more aware of what you are putting into your body, you can maintain your weight at a level you feel confident at, without restrictions. Running is hard, we know that, but we want to make it easy for you to reap the rewards, and make that hard work worthwhile.

Many runners will be thinking that their major goal is not to lose weight, but to perform on race day, and this should be the primary goal, but most runners cite maintenance of weight as one of the major reasons.

YOU MIGHT BE WONDERING: IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO SPEED UP THE WEIGHT LOSS?
Unfortunately, sometimes when runners first begin serious training, they end up gaining weight, which can be especially frustrating to new runners (and we wonder why so many runners do not keep it up!).

If you understand the science behind initial weight gain and the practical reasons for why this happens, you can stay positive towards your training, and keep working towards trust that those long-term gains both to your overall fitness and to your race times will come.

HERE ARE 6 REASONS RUNNING MIGHT NOT LEAD TO WEIGHT LOSS

1. THE SCALE IS A TRICKSTER
If the scale were a person, it would be considered a misleading trickster. A scale only provides one number, your absolute weight, which isn’t always an accurate measurement of what is happening in your body.

Drink a gallon of water and you are 8.3 lb (3.8 kg) heavier. Take out a kidney (which we do not recommend!) and you are down 2 lb (0.9 kg).

These may be extreme examples, but it proves that your absolute weight on a scale is not necessarily a truthful assessment of changes in your weight, and especially your fitness.

2. EXTRA WATER STORAGE
When you increase your training to prepare for a goal race, your body begins to retain and store additional water to repair damaged muscle fibers and to deliver glycogen to the working muscles.

Likewise, you may even be drinking more water to stay hydrated after your runs. Water may add weight to the scale, but it is not accurate of the training adaptations.

3. MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT
We are not saying you are going to turn into a body builder within a few days of beginning your running program, but over time, your body will begin to build muscle and burn fat.

While this is great news for your overall fitness and race times, you’re actually gaining weight by replacing low-density fat tissue with high-density muscle tissue. While it may add a bit to the scale, it is a good change and will help you to continue to run faster and get fitter.

4. LOOKING FOR SHORT-TERM RESULTS
Did you know? It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound (0.5 kg). If you want to lose weight safely and be healthy, you should aim for a 300-600 a day calorie deficit.

This will lead to losing 1-2 lb (0.5 – 0.9 kg) per week. Checking the scale every morning is going to reveal very little about your long-term progress or how much weight you have actually lost.

By getting in the habit of weighing yourself every day, you are monitoring the fluctuations in your hydration levels and other non-essential weight metrics.

In the same way you wouldn’t expect a 1 minute drop in your 5K PR after one week of training, after one week of running, you should not expect a 5 lb (2.3 kg) weight loss.

5. EATING TOO MUCH TO COMPENSATE
Here’s the deal: Running burns more calories than any other form of exercise, but while the energy demands of running are high, this does not mean that you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight.

Runners are guilty of justifying their unhealthy foods by saying, “I ran for an hour today, I earned it”.

Many running groups meet up at the local coffee shop after a weekend run. However, a Frappuccino and a small cake will quickly eliminate any caloric deficit from the run and actually prevent weight loss.

Running does burn a lot of calories, but you have to watch the amount of non-nutrient dense foods you consume, or you could quickly gain weight.

Likewise, as mentioned in the article on how to lose weight and still run well, you need to provide your muscles with the necessary carbohydrates and protein to recover. This is a delicate balance, and probably the most difficult element to losing weight while running.

Recovery should be the focus, and your muscles receiving the nutrients they need to rebuild should be the priority. The harder you train, the more often you will get hungry and the real secret is to refuel with nutrient-dense and high quality foods.

Remember: Sacrificing recovery for a few less calories is not a good long-term plan. The numbers on the scale are arbitrary and focusing on them can be detrimental to your long-term progression. If you can continue to build your fitness and training levels, you’ll be running farther, faster, and be much healthier overall.

Tip:

Runners will burn an average of 100 calories per mile, but this will change based on your pace, size and metabolism.

6. HIDDEN CALORIES
Sports drinks and energy gels are the best example of hidden calories, as they have a high caloric content.

It’s critical that you practice your fueling strategy during your long runs and hard workouts for optimal performance on race day. You also need to fuel your training and workouts to be able to complete long and arduous marathon workouts. Energy gels and sports drinks make this much easier.

However: This also means that the total number of calories you will burn from these long runs and hard workouts will be less than you think. But before you think about skipping them, remember, you need those extra calories for optimal performance and training progression.

Unfortunately, they can also be the reason you might not see the weight loss on a scale.

CONCLUSION: FOCUS ON THE RIGHT METRICS
Here is what it comes down to: Running will not automatically result in an immediate weight loss.

Although running does burn more calories than any other form of exercise, the scale should not be the primary metric by which you gauge your fitness level and training progression.

Weight loss is always going to be an important part of why many people run, just don’t become a slave to the numbers on the scale.

Instead pay attention to how you feel – do you have more energy, feel stronger, and like the way your clothes are starting to fit? While not metric measurements, your emotions are a much more accurate measurement of your progression.

Tina Muir

As a former elite runner, Tina knows what athletes need to focus on in their training. "I'm an expert at improving your running."

Joescoundrel
11-05-2019, 08:15 AM
5 First-Time Marathoners Share Their Training Tips

Turns out it’s about a lot more than endurance and avoiding chafe.

By Emily Abbate

October 31, 2019

For many, the idea of running a marathon is as polarizing as the New England Patriots. You’re either fully in support of Tom Brady’s excellence, or you never want to see Bill Belichick and his hoodie ever again. A lot of people I know have running a marathon on their bucket list, somewhere next to “go to the Super Bowl” and “win my fantasy league.”

That’s especially true this time of year, when three of the biggest world marathons—Berlin, Chicago, and New York—happen within a 36-day period. We checked in with five first-time marathon men who decided to take the leap of sweaty faith and check off this big life to-do in 2019. Here are their biggest training cycle takeaways.

1. Cameron Ahouse
Boston, Mass.
Customer Support and Fitness Instructor at EveryBody Fights & TB12 Sports
New York City Marathon

Cameron Ahouse wasn’t particularly committed to running a marathon this fall. His girlfriend, on the other hand, definitely was: Every Saturday, the two would head out on her long run together. “Once we got up to 16 miles, I knew I was in this for the long haul,” he said, adding that he’ll be running for the Muscular Dystrophy Association come race day (this Sunday).

His goal? To finish, for sure, but also to maintain. While the personal trainer is excited for the run, he’s got other goals on his mind. “I had signed up for the Spartan Beast in Central Florida before NYC,” he says. “I look at this whole journey and the pieces that make it up (each long run, each meal, each session in the gym or in a class) as a competition against myself—to keep my weight the same, get stronger and be able to run a marathon.”

The biggest lesson: “Break it up into little doables,” he says. “In running, it’s important to focus on each mile and not allow yourself to get consumed by all of the miles that you have to run that day. The same thing goes for life. Just focus on the task at hand, and then move onto the next. It’s more manageable that way.”

2. Gerald Flores
Newark, New Jersey
Editor-in-Chief, Sole Collector
Chicago Marathon

Spoiler alert: Gerald Flores didn’t have the marathon he was hoping for in Chicago. A long-time running fanatic, tendonosis in his ankle and foot struck about a month into his training cycle. There was one long run where he questioned if he’d be able to show up on race day at all.
Most Popular

Still, come October 13, Flores turned up in Chicago, put on his Nikes, did the thing, and did it well. Motivated by all the spectator signs along the way, he finished the race with a mix of walking and running. “It’s so different when you’re doing fitness on the treadmill and you don’t have an audience,” he said. “The crowds helped me smile through when I knew that it was gonna be tough.”

The biggest lesson: “Run your own race,” he says. “I definitely let my pride get the best of me with this one. If I wasn’t so worried about making up for lost time post-injury, maybe I would’ve been better for race day. Make your own plan, and stick to it. Be cool with what you have going on. I’ll definitely be back for redemption.”

3. Sam Schube
New York, NY
Senior Editor, GQ
Chicago Marathon

It had been 10 years since Sam Schube did any considerable amount of distance running. But when the former cross country athlete was having some back pain earlier this year, he decided to lace up and get moving to try to build some essential strength back.

And the essential strength came, for sure (also, a 20-pound weight-loss). Schube drew the most enjoyment from the speed work that came hand-in-hand with training. “It was fun to push my body hard and watch it respond well,” he says, “With the faster running, you break up the monotony and use different muscles. By seeing what I was capable of on the track, it made me wonder if I could’ve been more aggressive during the actual race.”

The biggest lesson: “There’s some real value in doing this whole thing without music or podcasts or anything,” he says. “You have to spend some time being bored and patient with yourself. It was a nice ‘no content’ part of my day, since I’m usually spending all of my time listening, watching and reading. The blank space made me focus on me.”

4. Jordan Andino, 31
Chef and founder, Flip Sigi
New York, New York
New York City Marathon

When chef Jordan Andino thinks of things that bring him joy, he thinks of rooftop parties with friends and crafting new recipes for his New York City filipinio taqueria Flip Sigi. Added to the list recently: running. “I always ran a little, but never more than a mile at a time,” says the former high school track athlete, who raced events like the 100 and 200 meters. “When I finally tried to string four together at once earlier this year in February, it was the hardest thing I’d ever done at the time. I strained my IT band, was out for six weeks, but knew immediately that I’d be back.”

Fast forward eight months: he’s preparing to toe the line in Staten Island without any excuses holding him back. “Through this training, I had to make time,” he says. “It taught me that when people give an excuse, it’s because they don’t want to do it. If you want to do something, you’ll do it regardless of how busy you are, or financial constraints. Now, I can filter the bullshit.”

The biggest lesson: “Learning how to breathe has dramatically changed my life for the better,” he says. “It’s translated into every other area in life. When I’m stressed out and going hard in the kitchen or when I have a large event, I go back to my breath and it calms me down.”

5. Jose Bolaños, 27
San Francisco, California
Financial Strategist
New York City Marathon

Originally from Costa Rica, Bolanos grew up extremely active, even playing competitive tennis. After college, he moved to New York City and soon found himself working 100-hour weeks, capped off with excessive caffeine, lack of sleep, and weekend partying. “It just didn’t feel right without exercise,” he says. “I didn’t feel like myself.”

The biggest lesson: Encouraged by his running team, Umbali Running (based in Costa Rica), Bolaños’s biggest takeaway from this training cycle is: surround yourself with people who share your passion. “Running with a group helps a lot for pacing and team motivation, just like in the rest of life. There’s a sense of responsibility because others depend on you, especially when it comes to pace. Support means that you have a teammate going through the same effort, pain, and glory with you. That’s pretty special.”

Joescoundrel
11-05-2019, 08:18 AM
How to Do Biceps Curls the Right Way, According to Personal Trainers

What you’re doing wrong—and how to fix it.

By Jay Willis

December 26, 2017

As you go about your business in the weight room, have you ever glanced over at a personal trainer during one of their client sessions and idly asked yourself something like, Dang, I wonder if they ever happen to notice what I'm doing over here? Good news! While your gym's fitness professionals obviously can't leave their charges to deliver you some kind of stern pro bono talking-to, they do see you, and they have a lot of feelings to share about...the myriad things you're doing wrong. (Perhaps this is, in retrospect, one of those questions to which you didn't want to know the answer.)

Fortunately, a few trainers have generously agreed to share with us the most common and most aggravating habits they see gymgoers developing—and a little free advice on how to fix them. This is, in effect, money in your pocket. Today: biceps curls.

Keep the sway away

When doing a standing biceps curl, be sure to keep your shoulders pulled back over your torso. I often see people leaning forward and swaying in order to generate momentum that helps them to lift the weight. This is especially true when, as is often the case with biceps exercises, they are trying to lift too much, too fast. Don't stick with just one grip, either. The straight-bar curl is tough to beat, but cycling between that, dumbbell curls, and EZ bar curls (using both inside and outside grips) helps to keep the guns guessing. —Ben Booker, Second Chance Fitness

Let those things breathe

Whether performing barbell or dumbbell curls, you need to first set your back so that your shoulder blades are pulled down toward your butt and your chest is slightly raised. Let the biceps "breathe" by moving your hands slightly in front of your torso, so that your elbows are just in front of your shoulders. Once you have this stretch on the biceps, take a peek at where the biceps attaches to the shoulder to make sure that that connection point isn't "hidden" by the dreaded forward hunch. Curl the barbell up and away from your body while keeping your shoulder blades, hips, and elbows immobile. End the repetition a few inches from your shoulders to maintain tension on the muscle, and squeeze for a few seconds at the top. —Mike Dewar, J2FIT Strength and Conditioning

Take a seat (or a knee)

If you find yourself persistently cheating by swinging the weight toward your chest, try doing your next set of curls with your back against the wall—bracing yourself against an immobile surface like this will help you to notice if your body has learned to try and generate momentum. Focus on keeping your elbows pressed against your sides, instead of flaring out at the start of a repetition. You can also try taking your legs and hips out of the equation altogether by performing curls while seated, or even kneeling on the ground. —Sean Barcellona, Burn Boot Camp

Four quarters

It’s very common for people to unknowingly perform a three-quarter curl, where they curl the weight all the way to the top, but only allow it to travel three-quarters of the way back down. Robbing your biceps of this full range of motion significantly limits your ability to develop functional strength. Make sure you get that full stretch at the bottom of each repetition! — Josh Cox, Anytime Fitness

Joescoundrel
11-05-2019, 08:22 AM
The Highs and Lows of Running Your First Marathon, By the Numbers

How to run 26.2 miles the hard way.

By Sam Schube

November 4, 2019

8, more or less
The number of years since my last serious stint running. I ran cross-country in high school and enjoyed it. But then I got pretty good at drinking in college and enjoyed that more than I enjoyed running, and that was that.

I spent a few springs and falls cycling, but that didn’t quite stick. I’d hit a yoga class occasionally, and a spin class with buddy. But running? Running sucked. Running was what I did when I’d exhausted all other options, when the gym was closed and Flywheel out of the question and I really wanted to suffer my way through exercise. I was not, nor would I ever be, a marathoner. And then, after a few months training at a boxing gym, I tweaked my back. Physical therapy helped, and taught me that I’d essentially neglected my glutes and low abs for most of that near-decade. Running, I thought, with its straight line movement and required use of one’s ass, might provide an answer—and, miraculously, it did. The glutes clicked. The abs engaged. I was pouring sweat, and my lungs were Juul-ridden, but after a few weeks, my back was feeling better. And then, toward the end of June, the kind folks at Nike emailed to ask if I’d be interested in running the Chicago Marathon, in October. No, I thought, not in a million fucking years. And then I wrote back to tell them I wanted in.

The high temperature, in degrees fahrenheit, measured at JFK the day of my first training run, at the beginning of July. One thing that people don’t necessarily tell you, probably because it should be blindingly obvious, is that because marathon season hits in the fall, marathon training season—especially for Chicago, a month earlier than the race in New York—starts just as summer really gets cooking. Naturally, it peaks as the weather gets truly miserable.

You learn a lot of things running in the summer: that you need to wear sunscreen. That taking your shirt off is a reasonable response to high temperatures, but that you better have applied sunscreen on the parts of your body that were covered up when you left the house. You also learn that you need to get out early, before eight, lest it get too hot. Which means you probably don’t need to have that extra beer at dinner the night before—and, hell, maybe you just stay in tonight, anyway. Early one tomorrow, and all. You learn that being done with a long run by the time everyone else is waking up (or just stumbling home) provides the purest hit of self-righteousness—and then you learn that your friends don’t particularly care to hear about how early you woke up. So you learn to find a balance: a night out here, a quiet one there. You learn to forgive yourself for skipping a day, but also to make it up when you can. You might even learn that running doesn’t have to be miserable.

Length, in miles, of my average training run. I think one of the reasons I used to be resistant to running was that I never lasted that long. “Going for a run” meant “Running three or four miles,” which in practice meant exercising for, at most, 25 or 30 minutes. And if you’re doing something uncomfortable for 30 minutes, it’s pretty hard not to spend the entire time thinking about anything but being finished. It should follow that, if running three miles is miserable, running six should be worse. Because running is a fickle beast that mocks your sanity, the opposite turns out to be true.

I say this knowing full well that you will all scowl at me, unless you already know it, too: running six miles is so much better than running three miles. When you’re exercising for an hour, you can’t spend the whole time thinking about the finish line. You’ll go nuts. You’ll start to hate running.

So I started to think about different things, or not to think at all. I’d just go blank for 20-minute stretches. (Considering the amount of my waking life spent near visual or aural content, stuff, this was a big number.) I’d think about my stride, and remember to tuck my pelvis in, and keep my arms moving. I’d check my watch a little too often, but eventually that would subside, too. I’d borrow a tip from a guy I read about in a Runner’s World I bought in an airport, and conjure the word “Float” when I was struggling. Or I’d think about something the comedian Pete Holmes had explained on GQ’s Airplane Mode podcast: that the phrase “Yes, thank you” can endow a boring experience with depth and mystery. It sounds horrendously dorky, I know, until you say it when you really need it. Then it works.

Length, in miles, of my longest training run. No one should ever run 22 miles in a row. It’s just the absolute dumbest thing in the world.

Joescoundrel
11-05-2019, 08:23 AM
^ (Continued from above)

Length, in meters, of the interval series that broke me. I’ll confess: the speed workouts surprised me. Nike introduced me to Steve Finley, a flinty, easy-joking coach. He set me up with a training plan, which included weekly speed work—which, conveniently, I could do under his supervision: he’s the head coach of the Brooklyn Track Club, which inexplicably hosts a morning workout on the track in East River Park once a week. I’d roll out of bed, jog to the track, and listen up for my punishment.

I hadn’t really done speed stuff before—and back when I was a runner, I thought it was beneath me. 5000m > 100. Right? But I quickly learned that track work is hard—a lot harder, often, than skipping along at a mellow 8:40 pace for 10 miles. And I also learned that the only way to run faster is to run fast: to put in that time on the track. Which made more sense after the set of 6x1000 meter intervals than it did before. Woof.

Number of sleeves I learned you should wear while training in New York in the summertime.

Tech-y bracelets I wore to train. Left arm: an Apple Watch, the Nike edition, linked up to Nike’s Run Club app. Right arm: something called a Whoop, to measure effort, sleep, and recovery. The watch was essential. It told me how far I’d gone, and how fast, though I found myself peeking at—and paying attention to—my “average pace” readout more often than I should have. And though I’m loathe to admit it, the app’s gamification techniques (giving you badges for running three times in a week, say, or hitting different milestones) hooked me.

The Whoop, on the other hand, produced a stranger sensation. By measuring heart rate (and something called heart rate variability, which is exactly what it sounds like), the wrist-worn strap told me how hard I’d worked in a given day, how well (or how poorly) I slept that night, and how ready my body was to take on more strain the next day. It was great to know not to expect peak performance on certain days—I’d throttle my effort back, and push a little harder on days my recovery was in the green zone, rather than yellow or red. It was less great, for example, to learn that my body was in full rebellion: that I’d slept a paltry four hours despite being in bed for eight—or that, on race day, I was only 53% recovered, or whatever the number was. Other information was so obvious as to make me laugh: a night out with my brother in Austin landed me squarely in the red zone the next morning. (Do not run 13 miles in the red zone.)

I cannot say I dug my dual-bracelet look, but both tools provided me enough information to prove actionable—but not so much that I was buried in it.

Pounds of force applied by the Theragun, a “percussive therapy” device I enlisted for my recovery. Good lord, do I love my Theragun.

Mark in miles, roughly, at which I had to pee on race day. One thing I probably should have seen coming is that running a marathon involves plenty of waiting. The gun went off at 7:30 A.M., but I didn’t start running for another 21 or 22 minutes. Which meant it was a solid half-hour since I’d last peed, which on a nervous race day might as well have been four days. So when I passed under a bridge less than a mile in and saw plenty of folks (all men) dropping trou, I joined in. Which wound up providing, in its own a way, a kind of lesson.

Three miles in, and I was moving slow. Not, like, marathon-advice, take-the-beginning-easy slow. Slow-slow. And I think I might have sat pretty at that pace had I not found a running buddy.

3-10
Miles, roughly, during which I ran with Jes Woods, Nike running coach and all-around gem. Some 45,000 people were running the race that day, and I managed to bump into one of the five or so I knew. (To be fair, we started next to each other. But then I had to pee.) Jes was looking for another of our Nike pals, so she pushed the pace a little bit, and my body agreed. So I found myself, ten or so miles in, all of a sudden right back at my goal pace. The lesson: when you can bump into a world-class runner who casually knocks out ultramarathons and needs to run exactly the pace you do for approximately seven miles, you do that.

Mile at which I thought to myself, and was subsequently thrilled to be thinking: Wow, this is going pretty great! Things were a breeze. The sun had come out. The weather was perfect. Nothing was chafing.

Mile at which I thought to myself: This is not going great. My quads tightened up. My knee started getting all hinky. I remember coming under a bridge and thinking: Well, fuck.

Mile at which the marathon actually started to suck. The thoughts I had at 20 were adorable, charming, representative of a mind and body that had not yet learned what pain was. This was new territory for me. It was miserable. It was glorious. I remember nothing.

Approximate distance, in meters, from the 800-meters-to-go sign and the finish line.

Number of marathons completed by a man I met just on the other side of the finish line. “Here’s the thing about everything between your first marathon and your hundredth,” he told me. (I could barely stand, so you’ll have to trust my paraphrase.) “You’re gonna have good days and you’re gonna have bad days.”

Percentage chance I run 99 more marathons.

Percentage chance I do another.