PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Philippine Collegiate Championship: SWEET SIXTEEN

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

durden_tyler
10-14-2008, 06:20 PM
PCC WILDCARD PHASE (October 15, 16 and 17, Makati Coliseum)

GROUP A GROUP B
UST EAC
SFAC LYCEUM
LPC STI
St. Clare De Ocampo

Schedule:
October 15 (Wednesday)
GAME & TIME TEAMS
1 9:00-10:30 EAC vs. De Ocampo
2 10:30-12:00 Lyceum vs. STI
3 12:00-1:30 UST vs. St. Clare
4 1:30-3:00 SFAC vs. LPC

October 16 (Thursday)
GAME & TIME TEAMS
5 9:00-10:30 EAC vs. Lyceum
6 10:30-12:00 De Ocampo vs. STI
7 12:00-1:30 St. Clare vs. LPC
8 1:30-3:00 UST vs. SFAC

October 17 (Friday)
GAME & TIME TEAMS
9 9:00-10:30 STI vs. EAC
10 10:30-12:00 Lyceum vs. De Ocampo
11 12:00-1:30 SFAC vs. St. Clare
12 1:30-3:00 LPC vs. UST

Top two teams from each group advance to the Zonal Competitions. Obviously, UST has the edge here, but who takes the next three?

ankle breaker
10-14-2008, 09:22 PM
obviously SFAC, STI and Lyceum. However these teams can give UST a run for their money. I can say that this is not an easy tournament for the growling tigers.

thadzonline
10-14-2008, 11:56 PM
that's what Im talking about, to get in the zonals as a wildcard you have to go through qualification..Should have been the same for Cebu/Visayas/Zone 3

Schortsanitis
10-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Is the Arellano University involved somewhere in one of the wildcard phases of the PCCL?

thadzonline
10-15-2008, 12:06 AM
or are they one of the hosts in either Zone 1 or Zone 2?

Sam Miguel
10-15-2008, 02:59 AM
I wish the other teams in this wild card all the best against Jervy Cruz, Dylan Ababou and the rest of the UST Tigers.

yellow_we
10-15-2008, 04:20 AM
I wish the Tigers can pull this one off. :)

gienecees
10-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Tigers open wild-card bid vs Saints
By Cedelf P. Tupas
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:09:00 10/15/2008
http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20081015-166424/Tigers-open-wild-card-bid-vs-Saints

MANILA, Philippines—University of Santo Tomas tries to make up for its fifth-place finish in the UAAP wars as the Tigers gun for a wild-card slot in the FilOil Flying V “Sweet 16” Final Challenge starting Wednesday at the Makati Coliseum.

The Tigers, who struggled in the UAAP even with a formidable lineup led by Jervy Cruz and Dylan Ababou, open their campaign against the St. Claire Saints in a noontime clash that is part of a heavy four-game bill.

Four wild-card berths for the two zonal competitions of the Smart-PLDT-KFC Philippine Collegiate Champions League are at stake in the short, eight-team tournament.

The Tigers have been grouped with St. Francis of Assisi, Las Piñas College and St. Claire, while the other bracket is composed of Emilio Aguinaldo College, STI College, De Ocampo and Lyceum of the Philippines.

The top two squads from each bracket will gain the wild-card berths.

The curtain-raiser at 9 a.m. pits EAC against De Ocampo with Lyceum tangling with STI in the next match at 10:30 a.m.

St. Francis takes on LPC in the last match at 1:30 p.m.

PCCL national tournament director Joe Lipa said four zonal championships have been set with the top two teams in each zone advancing to the finals.

The Tigers are hoping to become the third UAAP team to clinch a place in the Sweet 16.

The early finalists in the tournament’s final phase include UAAP titlist Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles, NCAA champion San Beda College Red Lions, De La Salle University Green Archers, Jose Rizal University Heavy Bombers, University of Visayas Green Lancers, San Sebastian College-Cavite Baycats, Manuel L. Quezon University Stallions and the Universal College of Nursing Golden Dragons.

The Far Eastern University Tamaraws are already entered in the zonal phase.

Details about the PCCL can be accessed by logging in at www.collegiatechampionsleague.net.

chinito_guy
10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Sana maulit ang upset ng STI over UST sa wildcard phase na ito! :D

But they have to get pass powerhouse teams like EAC, Lyceum and De Ocampo. I believe these teams are very high caliber teams for making it to this level of competition.

Superhuman effort will be needed from the rookies if STI want to pull this one off.
Mendoza and Mabayo must and must contribute BIG in scoring, defense and rebound.

Matira matibay na!!! This is the Wildcard Phase!

Go Olympians!

ilovedhay
10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Hindi sumali Letran sa PCC?

durden_tyler
10-15-2008, 11:28 AM
^ CSJL Knights by virtue of their 3rd place finish in the NCAA gets the automatic invite in the ZONAL QUALIFIERS. If i am not mistaken they are in Zone 3 joining five other teams from across the land.

jpmalpas
10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Bakit mag wiwildcard pa ang UST? Dba pasok naman sila sa Power Rankings? Pano po ba ang format nito? Ang SSC-R Manila, Letran, Mapua ba kasali?

myktristan
10-15-2008, 12:56 PM
are the Tigers still going to pursue this?

thadzonline
10-15-2008, 01:17 PM

But they have to get pass powerhouse teams like EAC, Lyceum and De Ocampo. I believe these teams are very high caliber teams for making it to this level of competition.

Superhuman effort will be needed from the rookies if STI want to pull this one off.
Mendoza and Mabayo must and must contribute BIG in scoring, defense and rebound.

Go Olympians!

Hindi naman magkabracket ang STI at UST sa wildcard phase so the earliest they could possibly meet is in the zonals should both teams make it through as wildcards

thadzonline
10-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Bakit mag wiwildcard pa ang UST? Dba pasok naman sila sa Power Rankings? Pano po ba ang format nito? Ang SSC-R Manila, Letran, Mapua ba kasali?

UST is in the wildcard phase because only the top 4 UAAP teams made it to the Sweet 16 or the zonals outright. Same goes with NCAA's top 4. Check out the PCCL website:

www.collegiatechampionsleague.net

thadzonline
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
are the Tigers still going to pursue this?

I'd like to believe so..

myktristan
10-15-2008, 01:35 PM

According to the PCCL PowerPoint download, this is the rationale behind the WILD CARD Phase:

"WILD CARD entries are the top three (3) teams of the Metro Manila elimination games to be conducted in the 1st & 2nd week of October. Invited teams would include Runner-ups & 3rd placers of different leagues such as NAASCU, CUSA, UCAA & others."

Visit also their site: http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/

chinito_guy
10-15-2008, 02:38 PM

Go Olympians!

Hindi naman magkabracket ang STI at UST sa wildcard phase so the earliest they could possibly meet is in the zonals should both teams make it through as wildcards

Isa pala ipinagtataka ko is dun sa format na naka PowerPoint sa website ng PCC,*
3 Wildcard lang ang kukunin at sasama sa Zonal, pero dito sa Wildcard phase di ba may Bracket A at Bracket B, if hindi maghaharap ang Bracket A at B panu madedetermine ang top 3 teams ng Wildcard? ???
Kac after magharap ang mga teams sa bawat bracket we will still have Bracket A top2 and Bracket B top2, which adds to four??? ???

thadzonline
10-15-2008, 03:01 PM
kaya nga ang gulo...sana di na lang sila nagrelease ng format dati kung hindi pa sila sigurado s gagawin nila

chinito_guy
10-15-2008, 03:13 PM

I think ung power rankings na kasama UST is for Metro Manila Only, may power rankings din ang Luzon, Visayas at Mindanao leagues.

visit: http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/

nastrans
10-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Results Today

EAC def. De Ocampo College. 80-70
Lyceum def. STI College, 88-86
UST def. St Clare, 80-71
Las Pinas College def. St Francis, 62-53

The_Big_Cat
10-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Results Today

UST def. St Clare, 80-71

nastrans, round robin ba yan 8 teams?
Ano format sa wild card phase?

yehey
10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
kasali po ba arellano university sa pccl?

chinito_guy
10-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Nakow! sabi ko na eh may hangover pa mga players ng STI sa party. tsk tsk tsk. 2 points? wahhh masaket!!!

durden_tyler
10-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Results Today

UST def. St Clare, 80-71

nastrans, round robin ba yan 8 teams?
Ano format sa wild card phase?

Top 2 teams from each group will get the zonals slot. Round robin against SAME group (3 games) then the teams with the best WIN-LOSS cards will advance. Wala na crossover, 3-day tournament lang sya. Obviously, a pair of W's will almost assure you of that slot...

Isa pala ipinagtataka ko is dun sa format na naka PowerPoint sa website ng PCC,
3 Wildcard lang ang kukunin at sasama sa Zonal, pero dito sa Wildcard phase di ba may Bracket A at Bracket B, if hindi maghaharap ang Bracket A at B panu madedetermine ang top 3 teams ng Wildcard?

Nalito din ako una but the PCC organizers cleared it up before the WC phase (And quite obsolete yung format sa powerpoint format because of recent changes, etc etc...)

FOUR teams na ang kukunin from the WC phase... Because previously, there were supposed to be seeded "host teams" what happened was that since sa Manila na yung Zonals, it was only fair to open up those slots as one of the WILDCARDS.

bchoter
10-16-2008, 12:15 AM
I wish the other teams in this wild card all the best against Jervy Cruz, Dylan Ababou and the rest of the UST Tigers.
Jervy is still bothered by his hamstring injury and is adviced to rest it to avoid aggravating it.

eightyfiver
10-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Nakow! sabi ko na eh may hangover pa mga players ng STI sa party. tsk tsk tsk. 2 points? wahhh masaket!!!

masakit talaga kasi they made a steal in their frontcourt with 3 secs left. However their playerwhose name escaped me and was mostly responsible for the rally failed to control his dribble as time ran out.

thadzonline
10-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Nalito din ako una but the PCC organizers cleared it up before the WC phase (And quite obsolete yung format sa powerpoint format because of recent changes, etc etc...)

FOUR teams na ang kukunin from the WC phase... Because previously, there were supposed to be seeded "host teams" what happened was that since sa Manila na yung Zonals, it was only fair to open up those slots as one of the WILDCARDS.

I don't think there was no need for changes doon sa Powerpoint kasi naman talagang NCR yung suggested venues for Zones 1 and 2. and talagang may wildcards kasali doon aside from host representation. Yung Zone 3 and 4 walang wildcard entries.

Zone 3's supposed host school WLC, and consequently, EVSU reportedly begged off giving the wildcard slot to UC. What is not certain however is whether they really did withdraw voluntarily or was there pressure to accommodate UC as wild card entry without the benefit of wildcard qualifying

durden_tyler
10-16-2008, 09:21 AM

I don't think there was no need for changes doon sa Powerpoint kasi naman talagang NCR yung suggested venues for Zones 1 and 2. and talagang may wildcards kasali doon aside from host representation. Yung Zone 3 and 4 walang wildcard entries.

Zone 3's supposed host school WLC, and consequently, EVSU reportedly begged off giving the wildcard slot to UC. What is not certain however is whether they really did withdraw voluntarily or was there pressure to accommodate UC as wild card entry without the benefit of wildcard qualifying

Well, there's a big difference between the "host school" and a wildcard slot--- clearly, the former is by invite (volunteer?) and the other one will have to be contested. PCC actually had plans for the Zonals to happen in the provinces. However, because of the strategical location of NCR relative to the composition of zones (budget-wise, indeed that is practical) What happened was nadagdagan yung wildcards slot nga.

As for Vis-Min, like you i am at a loss how UC got it. Maybe another wildcard tourney for such areas would (again) be too costly? Or that the PCC recognizes CESAFI as Cebu's (or that region/area) premier league a la its respect for NC/UA? Nothing wrong with that since i believe they are.

thadzonline
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Well, there's a big difference between the "host school" and a wildcard slot--- clearly, the former is by invite (volunteer?) and the other one will have to be contested. PCC actually had plans for the Zonals to happen in the provinces. However, because of the strategical location of NCR relative to the composition of zones (budget-wise, indeed that is practical) What happened was nadagdagan yung wildcards slot nga.

As for Vis-Min, like you i am at a loss how UC got it. Maybe another wildcard tourney for such areas would (again) be too costly? Or that the PCC recognizes CESAFI as Cebu's (or that region/area) premier league a la its respect for NC/UA? Nothing wrong with that since i believe they are.

except if there are teams who can give UC a run for their money, and I think there are a number of teams who can beat UC who were not even given a chance

durden_tyler
10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
i understand where you are coming from about that. Most schools (or organizations) would feel that way. But as i've said over the last few days, the system is far from perfect, it's a matter of promoting inter-collegiate (local) leagues int he future so that the PCC (and the public) will know if one league deserves a slot more than the other...

chinito_guy
10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I really hope the Saints can advance together with the Olympians to next level.
St. Claire really has very good players in Sibal and Parinas, both are Pro Calibers i should say with* Pariñas being only 17 or 18 year old rookie finished with a game-high 25 points besting other players in a more popular league.

durden_tyler
10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Regarding the AU Chiefs, they get automatic slot in the zonals.

nastrans
10-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Results Today

Lyceum def EAC 86-80
STI def De Ocampo 76-65
St Clare def. Las Pinas College 74-68
UST def. St Francis 64-51

durden_tyler
10-16-2008, 09:19 PM
After today's results:

Team Standings
Bracket B W L
Lyceum - Manila 2 0
Emilio Aguinaldo College 1 1
STI College 1 1
De Ocampo Memorial College 0 2

Scenario for Bracket B:
*LYCEUM has defeated both EAC and STI, therefore even if they fall against the winless SFAC team they will still advance to the zonals.
*Winner of the EAC vs. STI match-up will join LYCEUM in the zonals.

Bracket A W L
University of Sto. Tomas 2 0
Las Pinas College 1 1
St. Clare College 1 1
SFAC 0 2

Scenario for Bracket A:
*IF UST, SCC win; both schools advance
*IF UST wins, SCC loses; both schools advance
• SCC and LPC will be tied for 2nd place, but win-over-the-other rule apply (FIBA tiebreaker rules)
*IF UST loses, SCC loses; UST and LPC advance to the zonals
*IF UST loses, SCC wins;
• Triple-tie for UST, SSC and LPC
o FIBA tie-breaker apply (goal average)

Triple-tiebreaker scenario:
UST (+9 vs. SCC, N vs. LPC) = +9 + N
SCC (-9 vs. UST, +8 vs. LPC) = -1
LPC (-8 vs. SCC, N vs. UST) = -8 + N

(LPC vs. UST)
IF LPC wins by +11, LPC and SCC advance
IF LPC wins by +8 (but not +11), LPC and UST advance
IF LPC wins by +6 and below, SCC and UST advance

ankle breaker
10-16-2008, 09:36 PM
for bracket. it's like it's already given. i would say UST and SCC will advance. however the scenarios drawn in here are significant can somehow become reality. however based on UST's performance, looks like they are going to sweep their bracket assignments. therefore LPC and SCC will have to slug it out for the last slot.

durden_tyler
10-16-2008, 09:42 PM
for bracket. it's like it's already given. i would say UST and SCC will advance. however the scenarios drawn in here are significant can somehow become reality. however based on UST's performance, looks like they are going to sweep their bracket assignments. therefore LPC and SCC will have to slug it out for the last slot.

Yeah, tough task ahead of the Blue Lions really. Imagine the pressure of winning against UST, then winning by as much as 6 POINTS to advance. Of course, the Saints will have to take care of business first against St. Francis.

ALSO remember, TOMORROW is going to be the last playing date of the wildcard series, after tomorrow's results the slots will be decided!

thadzonline
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
goal average ba ginagamit sa tiebreaker? I used to remember ibe yung quotient system because high-scoring or low-scoring ballgames affect the computation

durden_tyler
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Goal average (a rather more specifc point differential actually) ang gagamitin kasi nga FIBA rules, the figures i used were "rounded out" so to speak kasi by hundredths/tenths of a difference unless you really want to go there and speak 0.231 goal average for teams A and 0.321 for team B, etc etc etc

chinito_guy
10-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Looks like a classical Slugfest will take place today, this will be a battle of nerves.
For STI and EAC, the game is simple: Win and advnace, lose and "Go Home".
With St.Claire and LPC scenario, St.Claire has lots of breathing room so to speak, they have all the chance to advance. ;D

eightyfiver
10-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Wild card winners:
UST
St. Clare
EAC
Lyceum of the Phils.

Congrats!

chinito_guy
10-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Wild card winners:
UST
St. Clare
EAC
Lyceum of the Phils.

Congrats!

Laglag pala STI, ilan ang lamang pare?

nastrans
10-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Nanalo EAC 90-88 sa STI, daming turnovers ng STI sa huli while EAC converted key shots.

durden_tyler
10-17-2008, 08:26 PM
After today's wildcard results, the UST Tigers join previous qualifiers MIT Cardinals, St. Lousie University-Baguio, Lyceum-Batangas, Arellano University Chiefs and the University of Luzon Golden Tigers in Zone 1. Meanwhile in Zone 2, Lyceum-Manila, St. Clare College and Emilio Aguinaldo College completes the cast that includes the University of Nueva Caceres Greyhounds, UE Red Warriors and Don Bosco Mandaluyong.

In Zone 3, we have the AMACLC Titans, CSJL Knights, University of San Jose Jaguards, University of Cebu Webmasters and the Region 4 champion (to be decided this weekend). And finally in the last zone, there are the FEU Tamaraws, Xavier U Crusaders, Ateneo de Zamboanga, University of Mindanao Wildcats, Cagayan de Oro College Scorpions and the University of San Carlos Warriors.

Format has yet to be confirmed but what is set is that the TOP TWO teams in each zone (total of eight) will complete the Sweet Sixteen lineup.

chinito_guy
10-17-2008, 08:54 PM
After today's wildcard results, the UST Tigers join previous qualifiers MIT Cardinals, St. Lousie University-Baguio, Lyceum-Batangas, Arellano University Chiefs and the University of Luzon Golden Tigers in Zone 1. Meanwhile in Zone 2, Lyceum-Manila, St. Clare College and Emilio Aguinaldo College completes the cast that includes the University of Nueva Caceres Greyhounds, UE Red Warriors and Don Bosco Mandaluyong.

In Zone 3, we have the AMACLC Titans, CSJL Knights, University of San Jose Jaguards, University of Cebu Webmasters and the Region 4 champion (to be decided this weekend). And finally in the last zone, there are the FEU Tamaraws, Xavier U Crusaders, Ateneo de Zamboanga, University of Mindanao Wildcats, Cagayan de Oro College Scorpions and the University of San Carlos Warriors.

Format has yet to be confirmed but what is set is that the TOP TWO teams in each zone (total of eight) will complete the Sweet Sixteen lineup.

Oh well, another heart breaker, 2 points? <sigh...> , atleast the Saints are still alive together with the Baycats.

I would love to see the University of Luzon "Golden Tigers" go up against the UST "Growling Tigers", and see which cat is more dominant* ;D, although being a pangasinense i will certainly cheer for the Gold ones.

chinito_guy
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Nanalo EAC 90-88 sa STI, daming turnovers ng STI sa huli while EAC converted key shots.

Mukhang maganda ang naging laban, sayang di ako nakapanood. ;D

nastrans
10-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Teka durden, isnt EAC placed on Zone 1 while Arellano is in Zone 2?

durden_tyler
10-17-2008, 10:16 PM
The last update i got from PCC was that the Chiefs are in Zone 1. While the rest of today's qualifiers will join the second group and UST getting the last spot in the first one. Unless they change it, i am pretty sure that's the groupings..

D_I_A
10-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Philstar Sports
UST, two others clinch zonal berths

Saturday, October 18, 2008

University of Santo Tomas, Emilio Aguinaldo College and St Clare College of Caloocan gained the final three spots for the zonal phase after beating separate opponents on the final day of the 2008 Smart-KFC-PLDT Philippine Collegiate Championship wildcard tournament at the Makati Coliseum.

UST finished the three-day tournament with a 3-0 slate by eliminating Las Piñas College, 69-56, while EAC escaped past STI College, 90-88. St Clare, meanwhile, survived against St. Francis of Assisi College, 70-66. They will join Lyceum of the Philippines University for next month’s zonal phase against teams from Luzon.

Lyceum survived a gallant stand by De Ocampo Memorial College in the fourth quarter to post a 77-75 win. Regie Rimando scored 18 points as the Pirates ended with a 3-0 record in Group A.

The Growling Tigers leaned on the efforts of Dylan Ababou’s 24 points along with Mark Canlas’ 11 as they grabbed a commanding 20-point halftime lead at 41-21.

But Kenny Bullo, Sereno Cunial and Marlon Pening combined to cut LPC’s deficit to 10 points, 59-49, with seven minutes to go in the match only for Ababou to score six points in the remaining minutes of the game to keep the Blue Lions at bay.

On the other hand, the Generals relied on the heroics of big man Lowell Yaya and point guard Argel Mendoza’s in the fourth quarter to shut down a pesky rally by the Olympians from a seven-point deficit in the fourth quarter.
Yaya led EAC with 18 points.

while Mendoza and Julius Quiambao added 14 points each as they booted STI out of contention after they finished third in last year’s tournament.

“The game against Lyceum was a wake-up call for us so talagang todo kami ngayon against STI,” said EAC head coach Nomar Isla, who once steered the team to a UCAA three-peat from 2004-2006. “We’re glad na makakasama kami sa susunod na zonal.”

Mendoza recovered from claiming a technical foul for wiping his hands to a game official by hitting six points in the last two minutes while Yaya converted a triple with less than three minutes to go that put EAC on top for good, 78-77.

Lanky Aries Parinas, the NAASCU rookie of the year, scored 20 points while big man Richmond Sibal added 16 as St Clare built a 22-point lead early in the third period before James Castanarez and Rex Leynes led an insurmountable comeback to tie the game at 63-63 with 2:27 left.

But a basket by Sibal off a spin move and a driving layup by Mac Opalia gave the Saints a three-point cushion, 67-64, with 37.5 ticks to go before they eventually stop the Doves’ chance of tying the game on a bungled trey by Jan Dulawan with one second left.

“We’re happy na makakalaro kami sa zonal,” said veteran head coach Jimmy Mariano of St Clare. “Minsan lang naming makalaban yung mga teams sa buong Pilipinas so it’s an honor for the school.”

The zonal tournaments are scheduled next month in Manila with UST and EAC joining Mapua Institute of Technology, University of Luzon from Pangasinan, St Louis University from Baguio City and NCAA South runner-up Lyceum of Batangas in Zone 1.

In Zone 2, St Clare and Lyceum will meet University of the East, University of Nueva Caceres from Naga City, NCAA South champion Don Bosco Technical College and two-time NCRAA title-holder Arellano University.

eightyfiver
10-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Teka durden, isnt EAC placed on Zone 1 while Arellano is in Zone 2?

Iyon din ang sabi sa akin kahapon nung head ng tech comm. Pero binago nga nila, as seen on the website.

Siguro dahil champion ang Arellano sa FMC the organizers deemed it proper to give them a slot in the zonals. And since all games will be played in Makati coliseum, the automatic slot for the host school becomes vacant. Kaya siguro UST lang among the wild cards ang napunta sa zone 1, unlike in zone 2 tatlo.

rye112
10-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Oh well, another heart breaker, 2 points? <sigh...> , atleast the Saints are still alive together with the Baycats.

I would love to see the University of Luzon "Golden Tigers" go up against the UST "Growling Tigers", and see which cat is more dominant* ;D, although being a pangasinense i will certainly cheer for the Gold ones.

^
hehehe so if you will cheer for the "Gold Ones" you'll be cheering both teams..Because UST is also gold....* black, gold & white., ;D well I hope Ust can make it to the sweet 16... Go Uste!

-insane-
10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
nasa www.collegiatechampionsleague.net na yung mga teams ng bawat zone sa nov4 pa magsisimula yung zonal championship

Schortsanitis
10-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Matchups to watch in the coming Zonal championships:
* Zone 1 - MIT / UST / Arellano matches
* Zone 2 - UE / EAC / Lyceum matches
* Zone 3 - Letran vs. UC
* Zone 4 - FEU vs. USC

bchoter
10-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Don't count St. Claire out. Their core can give any team a run for its money. But, for me, Lyceum poses the biggest threat among non UAAP/NCAA teams. Buti nalang UST is not bracketed with them. Oops, I forgot, Mapua and Arellano are bracketed with UST

nastrans
10-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Parinas and Sibal are two lanky but energetic big men plus Edu Mustre has been an offensive spark off the bench.

Hmmm, with Mapua and Arellano in the same group papano si coach Leo nyan?

Growling.Fish
10-18-2008, 07:10 PM
^
He can coach Mapua in the first half then Arellano in the other half. ;D

durden_tyler
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
St. Francis vs. St. Clare today on BTV. The other clincher: UST vs. Las Piñas tomorrow at 5:00 as well.

The_Big_Cat
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
St. Francis vs. St. Clare today on BTV. The other clincher: UST vs. Las Piñas tomorrow at 5:00 as well.

I caught a glimpse of the match where St. Claire was ahead by 20 points in the 3rd kanto.
St. Claire's uniform resembles that of the Argentinian Men's basketball team.

thadzonline
10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Matchups to watch in the coming Zonal championships:
* Zone 1 - MIT / UST / Arellano matches
* Zone 2 - UE / EAC / Lyceum matches
* Zone 3 - Letran vs. UC---->Letran versus Fajardo and Pao lol
* Zone 4 - FEU vs. USC

thadzonline
10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
another interesting development:

Capitol University is entered in Zone 4 instead of COSAA runner-up COC-Phinma. Another curious withdrawal?

sir_hodge
10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
in ZONE 3, where I am, we have the ff from Nov. 9-12 at the Ormoc City Superdome:

Bracket A:
AMA Titans - Ormoc, Leyte
BIT Cruisers - Bohol
Letran College - Manila

Bracket B:
USJR Jaguars - Cebu
WNU - Bacolod, Negros Occidental
UC Webmasters - Cebu (Wildcard)

We'll just do our best and represent our city well being the host city... ;)

ankle breaker
10-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Capitol University is entered in Zone 4 instead of COSAA runner-up COC-Phinma. Another curious withdrawal?

any reason of their withdrawals? what's your feeling about USC's chance in this zonal meet? I think FEU is the only contender in this group. How many teams are going to qualify? is it the top 2 in each zonal or just the top team?

thadzonline
10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
in ZONE 3, where I am, we have the ff from Nov. 9-12 at the Ormoc City Superdome:

Bracket A:
BIT Cruisers - Bohol
Letran College - Manila

Bracket B:
USJR Jaguars - Cebu

This is realy unfair for the CeSAFI having 2 teams in one bracket, dapat yung UC nilagay sa kabilang bracket. But I think USJ-R will take that bracket and advance to the Sweet 16. Hirap yung sa inyo Sir_hodge, Letran, pero good luck, I hope you can pull through

chinito_guy
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM

^
hehehe so if you will cheer for the "Gold Ones" you'll be cheering both teams..Because UST is also gold....* black, gold & white., ;D well I hope Ust can make it to the sweet 16... Go Uste!

Hehehe Tama ka dun pare ahihihihi, doble meaning nga ung nasabi ko. Pero masaya sigurado panoorin ang mga laban dito! Hope the lone squad from pangasinan will make it through.

thadzonline
10-21-2008, 09:57 AM

Curiously when I checked the PCCL website earlier today, the Zone 4 entry is now Cagayan de Oro College and no longer Capitol University. Typo error? Or media not getting their facts straight again?

www.philstar.com/scripts/articles.php?%26aid%3D2008101943%26type%3D2%26 -

sir_hodge
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM

any reason of their withdrawals? what's your feeling about USC's chance in this zonal meet? I think FEU is the only contender in this group. How many teams are going to qualify? is it the top 2 in each zonal or just the top team?

I assure you, the eligible teams for the wildcard here in our zone withdrew... we were supposed to have another team from Ormoc since we are the host and AMA being the Regional 6 champion... sadly they withdrew... and UC was picked...

sir_hodge
10-21-2008, 09:33 PM

Bracket A:
BIT Cruisers - Bohol
Letran College - Manila

Bracket B:
USJR Jaguars - Cebu

This is realy unfair for the CeSAFI having 2 teams in one bracket, dapat yung UC nilagay sa kabilang bracket. But I think USJ-R will take that bracket and advance to the Sweet 16. Hirap yung sa inyo Sir_hodge, Letran, pero good luck, I hope you can pull through

that was how the bracketing was originally planned... the wildcard was the third slot in Bracket B... but since the team backed out, UC replaced them... I know the odds are against us being pitted against Letran but I see it more as an opportunity for my team to experience "pros" as opponents... we'll just represent our city well for it is not all about winning, it's got more to do with attitude...

eightyfiver
10-22-2008, 07:28 AM
What's the format for the zonals?

durden_tyler
10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
^ RE: Zonals format

The format for Zones 1 and 2 (which i believe will be used as well in 3 and 4) will be:

+ 6 teams divided into two groups (Group A and Group B)
+ Teams slug it out once against their group mates (minimum: 2 games)
+ Top in each group advances to the Sweet Sixteen (FIBA Tiebreaker rules apply)

eightyfiver
10-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you sir for posting the sked and format. 8)

nastrans
10-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I would prefer the two Cebu teams placed in Bracket B para naman mabigyan din ang Ormoc or Bohol a representation sa Sweet 16 and besides originally placed yung isang slot ng Ormoc team sa slot ng UC.

durden_tyler
10-22-2008, 05:35 PM
^ The difficult part with that one is logistics. As we can see, it's all LUZON teams in the first two zones and the VIS-MIN teams on the next two.

i agree with your suggestion though because even if it's only the zonals we'd already have that "national" feel as the teams are scattered. Maybe in the next few years if the financial aspect of such will improve.

durden_tyler
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
(edit: Except for the early Manilla qualifiers--- CSJL and FEU) Still, it's all about logistics...

chinito_guy
10-22-2008, 06:16 PM
I believe there's no problem with well funded teams especially from big leagues kahit ipadala pa sa south at sa ibang bansa, atleast makakapamasyal pa sila! ;D

durden_tyler
10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
^ Yeah, good point.. But on the flipside... Say we switch the University of Cebu with a team from the North, University of Nueva Caceres, University of Luzon and others? May pera din ba sila ? :D

chinito_guy
10-22-2008, 07:24 PM
^ Yeah, good point.. But on the flipside... Say we switch the University of Cebu with a team from the North, University of Nueva Caceres, University of Luzon and others? May pera din ba sila ? :D

hehehe un ang problem. kac in leagues in the provinces, maliit lang ang cash prizes at budget alotment para sa mga mananalong team na ipapadala sa manila and other venues. Pero naniniwala parin ako na kaya suportahan yan ng local govt kac malaking bagay na makilala ang local government na* pinangalingan ng team na un. Ang bigat ng karangalan na galing sa isang provincial city, for example, ang magchachampion sa PCC. Pride and Honor ang nakataya dito* ;D kaya kahit mga 5%* lang ng budget nila* sa election (milyon po ito), ang idonate nila at idagdag sa budget ng team, malayo na mararating ng team na yun. <ehem> pwera bullseye sa likod pero ito po katotohanan. :o

sir_hodge
10-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I would prefer the two Cebu teams placed in Bracket B para naman mabigyan din ang Ormoc or Bohol a representation sa Sweet 16 and besides originally placed yung isang slot ng Ormoc team sa slot ng UC.

another change, it just got a lot more difficult for us host, sigh: :-X

Bracket A:
Letran College - Manila

Bracket B:
BIT Cruisers - Bohol
USJR Jaguars - Cebu

sir_hodge
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
^ The difficult part with that one is logistics. As we can see, it's all LUZON teams in the first two zones and the VIS-MIN teams on the next two.

i agree with your suggestion though because even if it's only the zonals we'd already have that "national" feel as the teams are scattered. Maybe in the next few years if the financial aspect of such will improve.

hmmm... why are we talking about whether schools can afford to go to other places... the whole zonals championships are shouldered by the sponsors and the host cities... from fare to lodging, they won't shell out a single cent

chinito_guy
10-22-2008, 08:18 PM

hmmm... why are we talking about whether schools can afford to go to other places... the whole zonals championships are shouldered by the sponsors and the host cities... from fare to lodging, they won't shell out a single cent

That's good to hear sir_Hodge! di kac kami gaano nainform ;D

sir_hodge
10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
we will be selling tickets from eliminations to championships on Nov. 9 to 12...
I bet you if BTV covers the games in ORMOC, they will be proud to show it in BTV channel because there will actual crowds watching the games...

chinito_guy
10-23-2008, 10:03 AM
we will be selling tickets from eliminations to championships on Nov. 9 to 12...
I bet you if BTV covers the games in ORMOC, they will be proud to show it in BTV channel because there will actual crowds watching the games...

You mean there are actually tickets in this PCC tournament this year? Kala ko free ulit kac last year walang ticket kahit nung Finals Ateneo-UV. Or is this in Ormoc only?

durden_tyler
10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

Ok, point taken. But even in the regionals (provincial) even the schools had to come up with a budget of their own for their travel and such although the host team/city and sponsors did provide financial support as well (This was true in a couple of regionals) In one regional, there was ZERO sponsor (except for PCC itself)

Again, this is very doable and i agree with a more "national" feel at any stage of the PCC. But it's all about the money and the logistics would have to be studied in the years to come.

Great idea actually. But last time i looked BTV/CS9 will be covering games (four total) in zones 1 and 2 only... For zones 3 and 4, they'd be sending a team to cover the event as news and not as full game coverage (Yeah, that s^cks and some, but we go back to logistics)

You mean there are actually tickets in this PCC tournament this year? Kala ko free ulit kac last year walang ticket kahit nung Finals Ateneo-UV. Or is this in Ormoc only?

Zonal games for Luzon at the Makati Coliseum will be free. Not too sure what are the plans for S16 and up.

chinito_guy
10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Zonal games for Luzon at the Makati Coliseum will be free. Not too sure what are the plans for S16 and up.

^ i dunno if the selling of tickets would help in bringing in the crowd, but it will surely help the whole PCC financially.

In my experience watching the PCC Finals last year, where it is open to all FOR FREE,* the venue in the Arena still failed to have a huge gate attendance (except for the Ateneans of course, they certainly filled their portion of the bleacher).

But i think this will be changed specially if there will be Another ATENEO-LA SALLE duel or if in the FINALS lets say 2 Southern Squad make it and the Finals game be held at a venue in the South, I think the tickets will be sold out. Well just an opinion.* ;)

sir_hodge
10-23-2008, 08:50 PM
^ i dunno if the selling of tickets would help in bringing in the crowd, but it will surely help the whole PCC financially.

believe me, it will sell... we had AMA Ormoc vs. EVSU Tacloban in the Finals and we had our Dome at 75% capacity... it's actually not to help the PCCL but to shoulder the cost of hosting it... I am talking about here in ORMOC... The money will be used in sustaining our ORMOC Basketball League...

thadzonline
10-24-2008, 09:37 AM

Bracket A:
Letran College - Manila

Bracket B:
BIT Cruisers - Bohol
USJR Jaguars - Cebu

Bracket A:
Letran College - Manila

Bracket B:
BIT Cruisers - Bohol
USJR Jaguars - Cebu

Somebody mentioned bracket assignments sa zonals are determined by drawing lots. check http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?topic=4090.0

I believe otherwise taking cue from the above quoted posts from our good friend in Ormoc. So now we know the bracket assignments for zones 1, 2 and 3. Interesting how they will assign the brackets for teams in Zone 4. My belief is that this should have been pre-assigned. My hunch would be the most logical assignments for Zone 4 would be FEU and USC on separate brackets, COC-Phinma and Xavier U also on separate brackets:

Bracket A:
FEU
Xavier U
AdZU

Bracket B:
USC
UM
COC-Phinma

chinito_guy
10-24-2008, 01:08 PM

believe me, it will sell... we had AMA Ormoc vs. EVSU Tacloban in the Finals and we had our Dome at 75% capacity... it's actually not to help the PCCL but to shoulder the cost of hosting it... I am talking about here in ORMOC... The money will be used in sustaining our ORMOC Basketball League...

That's good sir, i believe that also, mukhang mas mabenta nga ang mga games na tulad ng PCC sa provinces* ;D. The ticket sales will really be of great help. Kaya nga rin na mention ko sa taas na kung if ever* 2 southern squad ang makapasok sa Finals mas maigi na sa south gawin ang Game kac basing from last year hindi gaano talaga mabenta dito (or is it because hindi rin naging successful ang marketing dito).

coreytaylor
10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Thadz, these are the teams in ZONE 5:

Far Eastern University - Manila
University of San Carlos - Cebu
Ateneo De Davao University - Davao
University of Mindanao - Marawi??
Capitol University - CDOC
Xavier University Ateneo De Cagayan - CDOC

Games will be held in Xavier University Gym here in Cagayan de Oro City starting in Nov.14 -17.

amdgc82
10-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Thadz, these are the teams in ZONE 5:

Far Eastern University - Manila
University of San Carlos - Cebu
Ateneo De Davao University - Davao
University of Mindanao - Marawi??
Capitol University - CDOC
Xavier University Ateneo De Cagayan - CDOC

Games will be held in Xavier University Gym here in Cagayan de Oro City starting in Nov.14 -17.

It's not Zone 5 but Zone 4.
It's not Ateneo de Davao University but Ateneo de Zamboanga University.
University of Mindanao is in Davao.

salsa caballero
10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
^^ Dapat stock knowledge yan bai. Tiga-CDO ka diba? Mindanao teams pa naman...tsk tsk tsk...

D_I_A
10-28-2008, 04:00 AM
^^ Dapat stock knowledge yan bai. Tiga-CDO ka diba? Mindanao teams pa naman...tsk tsk tsk...

mukhang naging malalim na rin ang mga teams ngayon sa PCCL..pero hopefully next season mas maraming taga provinces ang pumasok..

coreytaylor
10-28-2008, 08:27 AM

sori po. nakuha ko lang sa text.

chinito_guy
10-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Sana Nov 3 na!! Gusto ko na makita in action mga provincial teams sa Zonal meet dito sa Makati Coliseum! ang problema may pasok sa work! wahhh baka saglit ako ng lunch break ba...

nicksy
10-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I was hoping that San Sebatian Stags (NCAA) will participate in the Zonal because they are part of the "Magic 5", but the organizers preferred not to invite them, unlike UST who performed much worst compared to SSC-r on their respective leagues.

The_Big_Cat
10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
^Medyo biased nga ang invitation para sa wild cards. San Sebastian had an 8-game winning streak in the NCAA.
Kung titingnan mo rin ang rankings nila, biased din.

nastrans
10-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Bakit nga ba? Either hindi talaga sinama o nag beg-off ang Baste?

They are far more deserving in the PCCL wildcard than UST. Sa liga nila napataob nila halos lahat ng final four teams (except San Beda, pero pinahirapan din sila), unlike UST who didn't even win a single game against a Final Four team in their own league.

thadzonline
10-30-2008, 04:56 PM
^may panalo naman ata UST sa UE IIRC

bchoter
10-30-2008, 05:36 PM
^ Wala, Thadz. Muntik lang. Although I'd like to believe that the Warriors had a lot of help in their win.

h2o
10-31-2008, 05:08 AM

Bracket A:
BIT Cruisers - Bohol
Letran College - Manila

Bracket B:
USJR Jaguars - Cebu

sir hodge nice to see you here, kayo pala with Letran sa first day 2nd game! ito nang pagkakataon to make history, hehe!

eightyfiver
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Huwag na kayo ma-inggit sa UST. Naglalaro lang kami dahil naimbitahan. Whether we truly deserve the invitation, we'll soon find out.

gienecees
10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Manilans set to complete PCCL Sweet 16
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 04:28:00 10/31/2008

Semifinalists from the UAAP and NCAA lead 24 collegiate teams shooting for the eight remaining slots in the Sweet 16 Finals of the 2008 Philippine Collegiate Championship League.

Mapua Institute of Technology, fourth placer in the NCAA, heads the Zone 1 cast that also includes wild-card winner University of Santo Tomas, St. Louis University, University of Luzon, Arellano University and Lyceum University-Batangas.

University of the East has been picked as Zone 2 favorite over University of Nueva Caceres, Don Bosco College-Mandaluyong, Lyceum of the Philippines University, Emilio Aguinaldo College and St. Claire College.

Zone 1 and 2 games will be played at the Makati Coliseum from Nov. 3-6. Admission is free.

Letran College, though, is tipped to have a rough time against top Visayan teams in Zone 3 set Nov. 9 to 11 in Ormoc City. The zone also features West Negros University, University of San Jose Recoletos, University of Cebu, BIT Int’l College and AMA Computers.

Far Eastern University banners the Zone 4 contest that will also have host Xavier University, Ateneo de Zamboanga, University of Mindanao, University of San Carlos and Capitol University. Games will be held Nov. 14 to 16 at the Xavier gym in Cagayan de Oro City.

The top two teams in the four zonal competitions will join UAAP champion Ateneo de Manila University and runner-up De La Salle University, three-time NCAA titlist San Beda College and second placer Jose Rizal University in the Sweet 16.

Other outright qualifiers are champion teams San Sebastian College-Cavite (National Athletic Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities), University of Visayas (Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc.), Manuel L. Quezon University (Colleges and Universities Sports Association) and Universal College of Nursing (Universities and Colleges Athletic Association).

nicksy
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Huwag na kayo ma-inggit sa UST. Naglalaro lang kami dahil naimbitahan. Whether we truly deserve the invitation, we'll soon find out.

hindi kami naiinggit, im just saying that in my opinion SSC-r deserves to play compared to UST, I'm not from Baste, but I'll go for SSC-r more than UST, based from their performance in their respective mother leagues.

durden_tyler
10-31-2008, 01:25 PM
ZONE 4 CHAMPIONSHIPS (INTERZONAL MINDANAO)
Venue: Xavier University Gym
November 14 to 16, 2008

GROUP A
Far Eastern University
Ateneo de Zamboanga
Xavier University

GROUP B
University of San Carlos
University of Mindanao
Capitol University

ZONE 3 CHAMPIONSHIPS (INTERZONAL VISAYAS)
Venue: Ormoc City Superdome
November 9 to 11, 2008

GROUP A
Colegio de San Juan de Letran
University of Cebu
AMA Computer College

GROUP B
University of San Jose Recoletos
West Negros University
BIT-International College

+++

Most likely same format as the one used in the first couple of zones wherein the top teams in each bracket advances to the sweet sixteen. Schedule calls for each team to slug it out once against their bracket-mates.

D_I_A
11-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Philstar

Warriors seek spot in Sweet 16 versus Generals

Monday, November 3, 2008

Former champion University of the East starts its bid for a spot in the FilOil Flying V “Sweet 16” Final Challenge as the Warriors clash with the Emilio Aguinaldo College (EAC) side today in the zonal phase of the 2008 Philippine Collegiate Championship games.

The Warriors, who won the national title two years ago but failed to defend it last year, battle the Generals, a wildcard qualifier, in the 2 p.m. main game.

Fr. Martin Cup champion Arellano University, meanwhile, takes on Region 1 titlist St. Louie University at 10 a.m. while NCAA-South runner-up Lyceum of Batangas tangles with Luzon University at 12 noon.

Three regional champions and nine qualifiers from Metro-Manila leagues are competing for finals slots.

The teams are divided into four groups with Group A composed of Mapua, Lyceum-Batangas and University of Luzon. Arellano University; St. Louis University and University of Santo Tomas make up Group B while Group C includes Lyceum-Manila, Don Bosco-Mandaluyong and University of Nueva Caceres. UE, EAC and St. Clare are in Group D.

The top team in each group will join Ateneo, San Beda, De La Salle, Jose Rizal University, San Sebastian-Cavite, University of Visayas, MLQU and UCN in the elite “Sweet 16”.

Rey Gamboa, Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) chairman, said that admission is free to all the zonal games at Makati Coliseum starting today up to Nov. 6.

This is in line with the PCCL’s objective of providing the students and collegiate basketball fans the opportunity to watch their alma mater teams compete with the best teams coming from the different regions nationwide.

Gamboa also announced that there is an ongoing survey as to the top choices for the remaining eight slots in the “Sweet 16”.

Interested fans may log in at www.CollegiateChampionsLeague.net and submit your choices of teams that will advance to the FilOil Flying V “Sweet 16” Final Challenge. Those with most number of correct choices will receive surprise gifts from the sponsors.

nastrans
11-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Results Today

Arellano 82, Saint Louis 36
University of Luzon 79, Lyceum Batangas 62
UE 92, EAC 74

chinito_guy
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Results Today

Arellano 82, Saint Louis 36
University of Luzon 79, Lyceum Batangas 62
UE 92, EAC 74

Hayun finally updates!!! =) sabi ko na talagang masyado malakas ang Arellano for SLU,* Nakita ko na kac maglaro ang SLU,* in fact na ka tune up nmin sila sa baguio 1 tym, medyo di pa talaga pang Sweet 16 calibre nila.

Nakita ko ung 1st 2 quarters ng UE vs EAC, pero di ko natapos kac may lakad pa ;D sa Tindi ng pressure defense ng UE talagang hirap ang EAC kahit maitawid man lang bola sa halfcourt. who was that foreign player of EAC? Tofue ba yun? may laro rin pero not enough to overcome UE's fullcourt pressure defense!

Hehehehe maganda at nanalo UL sa first game nila pero ung susunod na kalaban ang totoong sukatan kung kaya nila ang higher level, they will need all the luck against MIT* :D

ankle breaker
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
wala bang boxscores? at least makikita natin ang kung sinu-sino mga players

D_I_A
11-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Philstar

Warriors, 2 others near ‘Sweet 16’
By Joey Villar
Tuesday, November 4, 2008

University of the East, University of Luzon and Arellano U hurdled their respective rivals yesterday to move a win away from sealing their berths in the “Sweet 16” of the 2008 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Makati Coliseum.

The Warriors rode on a big run down the stretch to outlast the upset-conscious Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals, 92-74, while Univ. of Luzon cagers, the Region II titlists, smothered the Lyceum-Batangas side, 79-62.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, showed too much class and power against the Baguio City-based St. Louis U quintet, 82-36.

The victories thus moved the three teams closer to the tournament proper where they would join the first eight qualifiers – all champions in their respective leagues headed by UAAP’s Ateneo and NCAA’s San Beda.

The winner in the national finals will gain a berth in the 2009 Universiade in Serbia.

The tournament, sponsored by Smart, PLDT, KFC, Flying V, Fil-Oil and The Philippine STAR, is also putting up P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 in scholarship grants with an extra P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 in cash for the first, second and third placers, respectively, courtesy of telecommunications main man Manny V. Pangilinan.

UE coach Dindo Pumaren, whose wards need to beat St. Claire on Thursday to clinch a Sweet 16 spot, said he’s satisfied with the win considering they have yet to practice as a team since the conclusion of the UAAP cage season.

“To tell you honestly, this is the first time we played as a team since the UAAP,” said Pumaren, who is missing the services of Marcy Arellano (no-show) and Hans Thiele (fractured foot).

Pari Llagas, James Martinez, Elmer Espiritu and Raffy Reyes stepped up in the absence of Arellano and Thiele by firing 23, 19, 13 and 10 points, respectively.

The Chiefs, who also won the Fr. Martin Cup three times, said they hope to sustain the momentum of their rout against the St. Louis cagers when they face the heavily favored Santo Tomas Tigers, the 2006 UAAP winners.

“All we want is a win that would give us some positive thoughts when we face UST on Thursday,” said Arellano mentor Leo Isaac.

Orlando Daroya exploded for 22 points to lead the Legarda-based cagers.

University of Luzon, meanwhile, squares off with Mapua, which made it to the Final Four in the 84th NCAA season, tomorrow.

durden_tyler
11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Don Bosco defeated University of Nueva Caceres; EAC won over St. Clare and Mapua notched a victory over Lyceum-Batangas.

Don Bosco now has a chance to advance to the Sweet Sixteen, without complications with a win over Lyceum Manila tomorrow. EAC bounced back after an ugly loss vs. University of the East yesterday but needs a St. Clare win over UE for a chance (So, tough luck for the Generals)

Mapua, on the other hand, set a date with first day winners University of Luzon tomorrow with the winner of that game advancing to the Sweet Sixteen.

sir_hodge
11-05-2008, 05:29 AM
wala bang boxscores? at least makikita natin ang kung sinu-sino mga players

oo nga eh, ndi ba nila mapa-xerox man lang ang scorebook? ;D

greyhounds
11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
pretty sure most of you are not aware of the UNC Greyhounds. A bunch of ragatgs from Naga City who hurdled its way to the 24 finalists for the sweet sixteen. How sweet it is to be part of the mightiest and the toughest schools in the country. Averaging on a no less that 6 feet in height, the geryhounds surely faces an uphill climb to the finish. Williams, Rozun, Niduaza, Habana, Soriano are some sure to inspire and bring goodluck to the UNC community. Goodluckguys for tomorrows game against Lyceum-Manila. Sad to hear the heartbreaking lost against DBT Greywolves...Greyhounds vs Greywolves...hmmm sounds pretty good fight.hahaha. :P...Go Greyhounds!!!

durden_tyler
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
pretty sure most of you are not aware of the UNC Greyhounds.* A bunch of ragatgs from Naga City who hurdled its way to the 24 finalists for the sweet sixteen. How sweet it is to be part of the mightiest and the toughest schools in the country.* Averaging on a no less that 6 feet in height, the geryhounds surely faces an uphill climb to the finish. Williams, Rozun, Niduaza, Habana, Soriano are some sure to inspire and bring goodluck to the UNC community.* *Goodluckguys for tomorrows game against Lyceum-Manila.* Sad to hear the heartbreaking lost against DBT Greywolves...Greyhounds vs Greywolves...hmmm sounds pretty good fight.hahaha. :P...Go Greyhounds!!!

Saw UNC's win against Enverga University (from Quezon) and was impressed with their composure and i thought they showed promise. However, it's not the Sweet Sixteen that they advanced to but the zonals--- still a feat in its own. They were playing good vs. Don Bosco up until crunchtime... Too bad really since it was a close affair almost 90 per cent of the game and they just folded right at the end...

The game of Lyceum Manila and Don Bosco today will pretty much decide if UNC still has a chance of advancing to the PCC Sweet Sixteen.

greyhounds
11-05-2008, 11:45 AM
gee thanks for the correction...it was a tough game for the greyhounds indeed. Nonetheless, tomorrows game shall decide the fate of the greyhounds. Hope they will subdue lyceum pirates tomorrow and don bosco loses to Lyceum..it will be a 3 way tie, a tie breaker headed on a point system conclusion. Are there live coverage of the games?do you watch live at the venue?are there student supporters watching?pep squads, yell and drum squads?we were supposed to play at the venue but we are unaware of what awaits us if we travel here from naga all the to makati just to support our team. thanks. go greyhounds!!!!

chinito_guy
11-05-2008, 12:40 PM
gee thanks for the correction...it was a tough game for the greyhounds indeed.* Nonetheless, tomorrows game shall decide the fate of the greyhounds.* Hope they will subdue lyceum pirates tomorrow and don bosco loses to Lyceum..it will be a 3 way tie, a tie breaker headed on a point system conclusion.* Are there live coverage of the games?do you watch live at the venue?are there student supporters watching?pep squads, yell and drum squads?we were supposed to play at the venue but we are unaware of what awaits us if we travel here from naga all the to makati just to support our team. thanks. go greyhounds!!!!

hi been there in the opening game of the zonal and also stayed for a while in the wildcard phase games, unfortunately there are very few expectators,in fact only a handful, there are plenty of seats available and yes you should bring your own band and drums because the only noise you will hear are the drumbeats, pretty deafening i should say. But in the halftime and breaks the coliseum becomes silently calm* ;D ;D ;D

greyhounds
11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
thanks for the updates. Only 1 game left and we're doomed..Hope we can support our team..it is just that we're hesitant facing a big manila rowdy crowd. We are not accustomed to pounding our drums and synchronizing our yells infront of such big famous and elite crowd...hope we can make it for tomorrows game....

durden_tyler
11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
thanks for the updates. Only 1 game left and we're doomed..Hope we can support our team..it is just that we're hesitant facing a big manila rowdy crowd.* We are not accustomed to pounding our drums and synchronizing our yells infront of such big famous and elite crowd...hope we can make it for tomorrows game....

Good to hear that one, really shows how you love your school and the passion for the game. We need more of that especially from the provincial schools...

i was at the Naga City gym for the Region 2 championships and when UNC battled Ateneo de Naga i can really say that it was even better than some of the NCAA/UAAP games in Manila because of the crowd support.

Here's a little insider info: Zone 2 Championships almost happened in Naga City! The problem was, again, logistics as the host school (UNC or Ateneo) and the local organizers could just not meet the expectations/demands of the PCC. i believe if the Zonals was to happen in Naga, the host team invited would be Ateneo de Naga beacuse UNC had qualified anyway. However, because of the said logistical issues, the zonals happened in Manila and a wildcard slot had to be added.

i imagine that will certainly generate excitement for what could have been another provoincial zonal. But anyway, i'd like to see the glass as half-full--- there are unprecedented efforts being made both from the PCC and its provincial partners.

greyhounds
11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
thanks for the generous and wondrous appreciation of what transpired during zonal elimination here in naga. I am an alumnus of both schools (Ateneo & UNC) and aptly describe myself as an "atenean by blood..UNCean by heart". I heard a lot about the frenzied plan to stage the zonal elimination here in naga but sadly speaking things hasn't been too good for both camps in deciding which and where the elimination shall be held.. :-[ ???It was cited that logistics was the culprit why it was not held here in Naga especially on the media mileage. Anyways, its nice to see our homeboys battling it out for supremacy...thanks...go greyhounds!!!

thadzonline
11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
next up on Nov 9: Zone 3! UC, USJ-R, WNU, ACLC and BIT-IC test the mettle of Letran..Interesting to see how the Visayan schools fare, I'm paying particular attention to USJ-R vs. WNU and Letran vs. UC

chinito_guy
11-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Updates???

nastrans
11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Lyceum 87, Don Bosco 79
UST 102, St Louis 52
Mapua 77, Univ. of Luzon 59

Congratulations to Mapua for entering the Sweet 16. They will meet MLQU matapos ang palabunutan matapos ng laro.

chinito_guy
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Lyceum 87, Don Bosco 79
UST 102, St Louis 52

Congratulations to Mapua for entering the Sweet 16. They will meet MLQU matapos ang palabunutan matapos ng laro.

Hayun!!! finally updates, sa uulitin salamat Nastrans! ;D*

mukhang hindi pa panahon ng mga taga northern luzon ang umabante sa liga na ito! better luck next time =) Congrats sa MIT!

Lyceum Philippines still needs to win against UNCaceres to advance don't they? Good Luck!

nastrans
11-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes, Lyceum will have to beat Nueva Caceres tomorrow to advance.

University of Luzon is a good team, malakas lang talaga Mapua hopefully to get better next year instead of their talent being plucked away.

chinito_guy
11-05-2008, 05:46 PM

University of Luzon is a good team, malakas lang talaga Mapua hopefully to get better next year instead of their talent being plucked away.

how about USTE? I believe they will be going into a battle against Arellano, basing from your observation who do you think would get the much needed win?

Both USTE and Arellano trashed SLU by a margin of 45+ points?

st_ang3r
11-05-2008, 11:59 PM
sir nastrans naglaro ba si mazo sa mapua? medyo humina sila kasi wala na si dela pena...

The_Big_Cat
11-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Lyceum 87, Don Bosco 79
UST 102, St Louis 52

Mapua is now bracketed in the sweet 16 in the side of Ateneo, MLQU and JRU.

thadzonline
11-06-2008, 09:23 AM

I believe whoever wins that matchup between UST and Arellano advances to the Sweet 16 so both squads would want to win that one

how about USTE? I believe they will be going into a battle against Arellano, basing from your observation who do you think would get the much needed win?

Both USTE and Arellano trashed SLU by a margin of 45+ points?

gienecees
11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
UST vs ARELLANO is the game to watch today!

durden_tyler
11-06-2008, 01:00 PM
^ Yes, that's the match to watch indeed and one of the four games that will be aired over the next couple of weeks on BTV leading up to the S16.

Also the UNC-Lyceum game will be big... Lyceum needs a victory (or lose by 6 points) to up their* bracket record to 2-0 and advance... But UNC has a small chance but they need to win by over 11 points to gain that S16 slot.

The quotients:

Don Bosco: + 1 - (+9 vs. UNC, -8 vs Lyceum)
Lyceum:* +8 + N (+8 over Don Bosco, N vs. UNC)
UNC: -9 + N (-9 vs. Don Bosco, N vs. Lyceum)

Don Bosco wil hope that UNC beat Lyceum by 8 or 9 points only to advances... (Again, these are whole numbers we are talking about since FIBA uses that virtual quotient system using the GOAL AVERAGE, which computes the differences by the hundredths of a decimal which makes it a little more complicated. Let's just say we'll cross that bridge when we get there... Say UNC wins by 10 which will tie them at +1 quotient and we'll have to consider the goal difference/average to get the exact numbers...)

greyhounds
11-06-2008, 01:21 PM
indeed it is an uphill climb for the greyhounds.. :-\go greyhounds...actually ity is not sorry lose for the geryhounds especially that they are downed by the bosconians by only 9 points and lyceum overpowered DBTC by 8 points, mathematically speaking, there's still a bleak of chance for the geryhounds to join the elite the 16 sweet sixteen..

greyhounds
11-06-2008, 01:24 PM
kindly give us an update of the UNC's game...thanks

durden_tyler
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Lyceum Manila defeated UNC.

3 slots gone one to go.
Mapua, UE (unless the St. Clare Saints made a miracle of blowout win earlier today) and Lyceum Manila.

UST and Arellano University is still playing and that is got to be big...

chinito_guy
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Lyceum Manila defeated UNC.

3 slots gone one to go.
Mapua, UE (unless the St. Clare Saints made a miracle of blowout win earlier today) and Lyceum Manila.

UST and Arellano University is still playing and that is got to be big...

thanks for the update! just keep 'em coming ;D

nastrans
11-06-2008, 05:54 PM
UE def. St Clare 108-80
Lyceum def. Nueva Caceres 81-60
Arellano def. UST 69-59

Congratulations to the three winning teams

UE battles UV
Lyceum meets Ateneo
Arellano battles UCN

Nagbunutan ang mga coaches after their respective matches, si coach Leo swerte parati sa bunutan.

sa_pula
11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
^^ patay ang ue nyan..UV agad katapat.. :o

chinito_guy
11-06-2008, 06:12 PM
^^ patay ang ue nyan..UV agad katapat.. :o

well i don't think UE will be pushed around, napanood ko naglaro itong team na ito nitong Zonals and they are really a very good team, defense and offense wise, and take note they dominated all their opponents without Marcy Arellano and Hans Thiele. I think maganda ang laban ng UE at UV sa first round, who ever wins, deserves it!

durden_tyler
11-06-2008, 07:08 PM
UE def. St Clare 108-80
Lyceum def. Nueva Caceres 81-60
Arellano def. UST 69-59

Congratulations to the three winning teams

UE battles UV
Lyceum meets Ateneo
Arellano battles UCN

Nagbunutan ang mga coaches after their respective matches, si coach Leo swerte parati sa bunutan.

And there goes our first upset of the PCC tourney. Arellano U, which is expected to join the NCAA next year, proving its worth!

Great test for the Lancers in the first round remember UE is the king of pre/post season tournaments! Tough draw indeed for Lyceum Pirates and the Chiefs as mentioned by Nastrans lucked out once again! On to Visayas and Mindanao!

OPS
11-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Galing pala tlaga ng arellano,,napanood ko ung game nila against UST di man lang nakalamang UST..di pa nakaporma si Dylan Ababou dun sa #12 na arellano..pati ung daroya hindi mapigilan ng mga bigman ng UST..GOODLUCK sa AU ;D sana makapasok sila sa final four

Schortsanitis
11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
'Malamang baligtad, patay ang UV sa UE. ;D'

But let's see what UV has got. UE is a UAAP Final Four team, hence it will be a big test for them. 6'11" Greg Slaugther will be tested by the frontline of Pari Llagas and Elmer Espiritu.

Tough luck for UV, though, because IF they get past UE, they will likely be facing DLSU.

How come nobody is updating the latest results on the PCCL website, and we have to go to the Gameface forums to get the latest results of the games?

D_I_A
11-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Philstar
AU Chiefs have arrived
By Joey Villar
Friday, November 7, 2008

Three-time Fr. Martin Cup champion Arellano U showed its readiness to join the NCAA as it stunned 2006 UAAP champion Santo Tomas, 69-59, yesterday to barge into the “Sweet 16” of the 2008 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Makati Coliseum.

Orlando Daroya, priming up for his PBL debut for Pharex tomorrow, dished out a double-double performance of 32 points and 10 rebounds while coming up with five steals to power the Chiefs to the big win and a clash with UCAA champion Universal College of Nursing in the main draw.

“I guess teams will start to take notice of us now,” said Arellano coach Leo Isaac, who made a record of sort after he became the first mentor to steer two teams in the Sweet 16 after leading Mapua into the tournament proper the other day.

University of the East and Lyceum likewise advanced to the next phase by routing St. Clare, 108-80, and University of Nueva Caceres-Naga City, 81-60, respectively.

The Warriors arranged a showdown with the 6-9 George Slaughter-led Cebu champion University of Visayas while the Pirates will meet reigning UAAP titlist Ateneo.

The Chiefs, also the back-to-back NCRAA champions bidding to take Phil. Christian U’s slot in the NCAA next season, dominated the Tigers as they led from start to finish to boot out the fancied España-based squad, which missed the services of injured Jervy Cruz and Japs Cuan.

Arellano employed a man-to-man full-court trapping defense to scuttle UST and sustained aggressive offensive game throughout the contest.

Dylan Ababou, a PBL star playing for Magnolia Purewater, scored 22 points for UST.

The tournament is staking P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 for the first to third placers in scholarship grants, courtesy of Smart, PLDT, KFC, Flying V, Fil-Oil and The STAR and another P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 in cash courtesy of telecommunication boss Manny V. Pangilinan.

sir_hodge
11-07-2008, 03:44 AM
So. Arellano and Mapua got in from ZONE 1 while Lyceum-Manila and UE from ZONE 2...
ZONE 3 is up next starting on Nov 9... It may be Letran and WNU that amy get in...

eightyfiver
11-07-2008, 07:49 AM
..di pa nakaporma si Dylan Ababou dun sa #12 na arellano

Not exactly true. Ababou scored 22 points. But #12 is a very good trash talker.

Arellano is a talented team that is well-coached and disciplined. Congrats and good luck to Arellano!

thadzonline
11-07-2008, 09:18 AM
So. Arellano and Mapua got in from ZONE 1 while Lyceum-Manila and UE from ZONE 2...
ZONE 3 is up next starting on Nov 9... It may be Letran and WNU that amy get in...

It wont be an easy ride for both teams especially against UC and USJ-R respectively for Letran and USJ-R

The_Big_Cat
11-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Arellano is indeed making a strong bid to come aboard in the NCAA next season. Two years ng hinog ang Arellano.
Arellano is favored to beat UCN. If they beat UCN, they will have an Elite 8 showdown with the 3-Time Defending NCAA Champs, San Beda.

Congrats to Arellano!

-insane-
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM

It wont be an easy ride for both teams especially against UC and USJ-R respectively for Letran and USJ-R

oo nga magagaling din kasi mga teams na kasali sa CESAFI

thadzonline
11-07-2008, 10:32 AM
saan ba matatapat ang Zone 3 and 4 qualifiers? I reckon at least 2 teams from those zones will have ateneo or san beda as 1st opponent sa round of 16

The_Big_Cat
11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
saan ba matatapat ang Zone 3 and 4 qualifiers? I reckon at least 2 teams from those zones will have ateneo or san beda as 1st opponent sa round of 16

Ateneo will meet Lyceum in the sweet 16.
Jose Rizal, La Salle at San Beda ay wala pang kalaban sa sweet 16.

chinito_guy
11-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but the result of the drawlots for Zone1 and Zone2 are the* following:

Lyceum Philippines vs Ateneo
MIT vs MLQU
Arellano vs UCN
UE vs UV

so the rest

DLSU
SAN BEDA
JRU
SSCR-C

are still waiting for the results of the Zone 3 and Zone 4 qualifier and their drawlots.

If i'm from the zone3 and 4 qualifier my first instinct is to get SSCR-C as my first opponent in the Sweet 16, its not that SSC is not that good, but damn I certainly would like to face (DLSU,BEDA or JRU) in the later rounds* :o

nastrans
11-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Sa bunutan ang patay dito ay yung mga Visayas and Mindanao teams because sa bunutan bawal mong mabunot ang teams from the same league but dilemma pa din in case it is La Salle or San BedA.

Sa case ng Letran, they wont have to deal with San Beda or JRU pero baka La Salle naman makalaban nila. Same with FEU, hindi nila makakalaban La Salle but San Beda and JRU naman possible opponents nila.

gienecees
11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Ang swerte at ang galing din talaga ni Coach Leo Isaac bumunot! ;D Imagine He already has twice the chance to become a national champion coach, tapos ung dalawang teams nya pa eh, sa Finals n pedeng magharap dahil sa seeding.. Braket A napunta ang MIT at braket B ang Arellano, I Salute talaga... hahhaha Pero the question is which team will he give-up IF against all odds Arellano and Mapua meet in the FINALS?* ???

katsoy_cute
11-07-2008, 05:53 PM
oo nga ang gling ng arellano,..pde ng pang ncaa..ang lakas nung orlando daroya wlang mkapigil!...ung 12 ng arellano parang c kojak melegrito... :D

nastrans
11-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Yung #12 ay si Jordan Melano.

norms
11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
guys, alam nyo bang sinakal ni asstcoach ariola ng st. clare saints vs UE un referee...
grabe he can't control his temper!!!

nastrans
11-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Oo sinakal nga ni Ariola ang referee according to reports, siya yung madalas na magcoach sa Saints while head coach Jimmy Mariano observes and calls the plays during timeouts.

Schortsanitis
11-08-2008, 01:55 PM
That guy should be BANNED FOR LIFE in taking any official position in basketball for physically assaulting the referee.

nastrans
11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
PCCL Zone 3 Schedule

GRP A

Letran
Univ of Cebu
AMA-ACLC

GRP B

USJ-R
West Negros Univ
BIT-IC

Bukas

5pm Opening Ceremonies
530pm West Negros vs USJR
7pm Letran vs AMA-ACLC

Monday
830am AMA-ACLC vs Univ of Cebu
1030am BIT-IC vs West Negros
530pm USJ-R vs BIT-IC
7pm Univ of Cebu vs Letran

Tuesday
Crossover
530pm A1 vs B2
7pm B1 vs A2

Wednesday (Finals)
530pm L1 vs L2
7pm W1 vs W2

The finalists will be in the Sweet 16

john_paul_manahan
11-08-2008, 09:44 PM
if that happens: then let the asst's coach while leo watches from the other side.

deserina15
11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
di ba ma group D pa? ;D

Anyone knows when Group D will start playing? :)

Doon kasi nasama yung FEU team :)

sir_hodge
11-08-2008, 11:09 PM
guys, alam nyo bang sinakal ni asstcoach ariola ng st. clare saints vs UE* un referee...

kakatawa namang eksena yan... ano ginawa pagkatapos? wala lang?

thadzonline
11-09-2008, 10:02 AM
PCCL Zone 3 Schedule

GRP A

Letran
Univ of Cebu
AMA-ACLC

GRP B

USJ-R
West Negros Univ
BIT-IC

Bukas

5pm Opening Ceremonies
7pm Letran vs AMA-ACLC

Monday
530pm USJ-R vs BIT-IC

Tuesday
Crossover
530pm A1 vs B2
7pm B1 vs A2

Wednesday (Finals)
530pm L1 vs L2
7pm W1 vs W2

This is a stupid schedule. they should have just taken out those last 2 days and moved the last 2 games of Nov 10 into Nov 11. BIT IC will be playing a game with less than 6 hours rest, UC also plays 2 games in 1 day and both teams are playing opponents that are not patsies.

durden_tyler
11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
PCCL Zone 3 Schedule

GRP A

Letran
Univ of Cebu
AMA-ACLC

GRP B

USJ-R
West Negros Univ
BIT-IC

Bukas

5pm Opening Ceremonies
7pm Letran vs AMA-ACLC

Monday
530pm USJ-R vs BIT-IC

Tuesday
Crossover
530pm A1 vs B2
7pm B1 vs A2

Wednesday (Finals)
530pm L1 vs L2
7pm W1 vs W2

This is a stupid schedule. they should have just taken out those last 2 days and moved the last 2 games of Nov 10 into Nov 11. BIT IC will be playing a game with less than 6 hours rest, UC also plays 2 games in 1 day and both teams are playing opponents that are not patsies.

Ouch then for those schools. That crossover on the Tuesday really changed the dynamics of the schedule compared to the Luzon Zonals...

sir_hodge
11-09-2008, 11:20 AM
PCCL Zone 3 Schedule

GRP A

Letran
Univ of Cebu
AMA-ACLC

GRP B

USJ-R
West Negros Univ
BIT-IC

Bukas

5pm Opening Ceremonies
7pm Letran vs AMA-ACLC

Monday
530pm USJ-R vs BIT-IC

Tuesday
Crossover
530pm A1 vs B2
7pm B1 vs A2

Wednesday (Finals)
530pm L1 vs L2
7pm W1 vs W2

but if you move 2 of the Nov 10 games to Nov 11, there would still be teams paying twice in a day... it's really unavoidable... dumating na nga pala sila dito sa ORMOC :D

Schortsanitis
11-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I think one more extra day of competitions would be best for all teams, keep them all playing on the same level, so to speak. Especially in such a critical tournament. 'Kayang-kaya ni MVP iyan.' :D

durden_tyler
11-09-2008, 02:05 PM
but if you move 2 of the Nov 10 games to Nov 11, there would still be teams paying twice in a day... it's really unavoidable... dumating na nga pala sila dito sa ORMOC

Well, it is now unavoidable since they changed the format. The 3-day schedule looked fine in the Luzon Zonals. Must be the demand for basketball in Ormoc they decided to add spice to the tournament. Question is will they apply the same format with the Mindanao Zonals this weekend?

thadzonline
11-09-2008, 02:46 PM
PCCL Zone 3 Schedule

GRP A

Letran
Univ of Cebu
AMA-ACLC

GRP B

USJ-R
West Negros Univ
BIT-IC

Bukas

5pm Opening Ceremonies
7pm Letran vs AMA-ACLC

Monday
530pm USJ-R vs BIT-IC

Tuesday
Crossover
530pm A1 vs B2
7pm B1 vs A2

Wednesday (Finals)
530pm L1 vs L2
7pm W1 vs W2

but if you move 2 of the Nov 10 games to Nov 11, there would still be teams paying twice in a day... it's really unavoidable... dumating na nga pala sila dito sa ORMOC :D

nope, that wouldnt happen since tatanggalin naman yung crossover and finals phase

thadzonline
11-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I move that the format for Zones 1 and 2 be applied to Zone 4. Durdern, medyo may connection ka, so sana mapaabot mo sa organizaers

chinito_guy
11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
guys, alam nyo bang sinakal ni asstcoach ariola ng st. clare saints vs UE un referee...

kakatawa namang eksena yan... ano ginawa pagkatapos? wala lang?

hehehe now that is one for the books! kung meron kayo youtube link post nyo nman, i need some good laugh today ;)

durden_tyler
11-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I move that the format for Zones 1 and 2 be applied to Zone 4. Durdern, medyo may connection ka, so sana mapaabot mo sa organizaers

Well, we can always ask around. Will do if i get the opportunity.

nastrans
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
In case Letran advances:

I dont know how coach Joe will do the drawing of lots but if Letran enters the next phase, its either La Salle or Letran are the eligible teams they will face. Teams from the same league are prohibited to meet in the Sweet 16.

During the Zone 1 and 2 tournament, coaches will initially pick two papers containing Bracket X or Y before picking the teams that they could face. With this, probably the second drawing will be eliminated in Letran's case.

Schortsanitis
11-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Anybody got the results of today's games?

thadzonline
11-09-2008, 11:20 PM
USJ-R beats WNU and Letran beats ACLC Ormoc, just got raw info from USJ-R Jaguars forward Jan Malinao.

thadzonline
11-09-2008, 11:22 PM
USJR 83, WNU 72 daw, unconfirmed from SMS

thadzonline
11-09-2008, 11:29 PM
@durden,

what is this format Im hearing from the Ormoc Zone 3 qualifiers that only those who figure in the finals will be in the Sweet 16. Given the schedule posted here earlier, it is possible now to place 2nd in a bracket but still have an outside chance of qualifying should they beat the top team from the other bracket.

We need to confirm this. If this is true, I smell another dead fish most likely to accommodate a certain team in Zone 3 who probably are not certain about topping their bracket. So sana the format should be the same sa Zone 1 and 2 where only the top teams in each bracket advance

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 12:32 AM
USJR 83, WNU 72 daw, unconfirmed from SMS

no, i was watching, it was 86-77 for USJR in the dying seconds... I didn't look back... quite busy chatting...
Letran beat us by as much as 31 pts i think... 96-65... in the dying seconds again, i didn't pay attention if somene converted some more shots... tomorrow don't worry...* ;D

----------------------

ok i asked my sis who is as the audience also... USJ-R beat WNU 88-77 while Letran won over AMA 96-65...

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 01:24 AM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9648/zonal301ez9.jpg
By sir_hodge (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/sir_hodge), shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 65 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=Canon+DIGITAL+IXUS+65&make=Canon) at 2008-11-09
OPENING... UC almost missed the opening ceremony... BIT-IC wasn't at the opening...
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5365/zonal302ca6.jpg
By sir_hodge (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/sir_hodge), shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 65 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=Canon+DIGITAL+IXUS+65&make=Canon) at 2008-11-09
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/517/zonal303yt4.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8822/zonal304aq2.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1944/zonal305hb3.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5170/zonal307aj4.jpg

thadzonline
11-10-2008, 02:23 AM
thanks sir hodge...can you confirm the format? Will the top team in each braket advance? or yung mananalo lang sa crossover and those who figure in the finals sa Zone 3?

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 07:57 AM
thanks sir hodge...can you confirm the format? Will the top team in each braket advance? or yung mananalo lang sa crossover and those who figure in the finals sa Zone 3?

there will be a crossover format... so it is still possible that 2 teams from one bracket may advance...

m_14
11-10-2008, 09:31 AM
thanks for the wonderful pics sir_hodge..hope you'll be at the zone 4 championships also to give us another shot of your canon cam.

thadzonline
11-10-2008, 10:05 AM

there will be a crossover format... so it is still possible that 2 teams from one bracket may advance...

I feel that would be unfair to those who top their bracket and that is also not the same format used in Zones 1 and 2 which makes it even more unfair. Anyways, good luck against UC

The_Big_Cat
11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
[
GRP B

USJ-R
West Negros Univ
BIT-IC

Palagay ko dito lalabas ang makakatapat ng San Beda sa sweet 16.

-insane-
11-10-2008, 01:27 PM
nice pics sir hodge sana mas marami ka pang mailagay na pics

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 01:41 PM
results this morning:
Game 1: UC def. AMA - 101-60 :'(
Game 2: WNU def. BIT - 90-62

basing from what I saw, Letran is a shoo-in, while it can be a toss up between USJ-R and UC... it would have been fun to watch if AMA fought against WNU ant BIT... I have pics and will post it after the games tonight... anyways, i'll watch again tonight... USJ-R vs. BIT then UC vs. Letran... the main game would be exciting to watch...

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 01:45 PM

I feel that would be unfair to those who top their bracket and that is also not the same format used in Zones 1 and 2 which makes it even more unfair. Anyways, good luck against UC

actually, all the coaches and managers had a meeting about this and all agreed to it... they actually preferred it even me... it's a way to really test the teams... it's better to get in not because of you had the luck of the draw but because you faced the teams pitted against you in a fair rule and still emerge victorious...

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
results this morning:
Game 1: UC def. AMA - 101-60 :'(
Game 2: WNU def. BIT - 90-62

basing from what I saw, Letran is a shoo-in in the Sweet 16, while it can still be a toss up between USJ-R and UC with the Jaguars having a slight edge over the Webmasters...

it would have been fun to watch if AMA fought against WNU and BIT... I have pics and will post it after the games tonight... anyways, i'll watch again tonight... USJ-R vs. BIT then UC vs. Letran... the main game would be exciting to watch...

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
may hindi lang ako nagustuhan na ginawa ng UC kanina... after the game and after the whole teams have the traditional shake hands while my team is still huddling, an asst i think from UC brazenly approached one of our best players and had a chat with him in front of our coach... by instinct, I would assume that they are trying to talk one of my best players to go with them... I hope that I'm mistaken, for if I am not, wasn't it a little disrespectful thing to do? A little discreetness would've been nice...

In the CESAFI thread, they talk of banning recruiters from Manila... and yet when they see other provincial schools with potential players, they themselves are quick to "attack"... if you ask me, you let players choose wherever they want to be, it's not good to retain players who have desires of going to other teams for their heart will no longer be in their mother team, so it would be useless to keep that player... so kayong mga CESAFI teams, kung ayaw nyong maagawan ng players ng teams from Manila, practice what you preach, otherwise wag na kayong mag-reklamo kung may Manila recruiters, because that's just the way it is right now...

Schortsanitis
11-10-2008, 04:57 PM
may hindi lang ako nagustuhan na ginawa ng UC kanina... after the game and after the whole teams have the traditional shake hands while my team is still huddling, an asst i think from UC brazenly approached one of our best players and had a chat with him in front of our coach... by instinct, I would assume that they are trying to talk one of my best players to go with them... I hope that I'm mistaken, for if I am not, wasn't it a little disrespectful thing to do? A little discreetness would've been nice...

In the CESAFI thread, they talk of banning recruiters from Manila... and yet when they see other provincial schools with potential players, they themselves are quick to "attack"... if you ask me, you let players choose wherever they want to be, it's not good to retain players who have desires of going to other teams for their heart will no longer be in their mother team, so it would be useless to keep that player... so kayong mga CESAFI teams, kung ayaw nyong maagawan ng players ng teams from Manila, practice what you preach, otherwise wag na kayong mag-reklamo kung may Manila recruiters, because that's just the way it is right now...

Heksakli ..... Grabe ingay ni Tiukhinoy ng kinakausap ng Manila squads si Junmar, pero ayan, mas garapal pa pala sila kung mangulimbat .... talk about hypocrisy ......

nastrans
11-10-2008, 08:51 PM
This is the downside of the PCCL, this tournament should be an avenue to give exposure to those unexposed teams kaso nagiging avenue lang ito tuloy for pirating talent from big schools which is sad but the reality that we face. :(

-insane-
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
anu na poh balita cnu na nanalo sa mga laro ngayon gabi

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Night Game 1: USJ-R def. BIT-IC - 99-74
Night Game 2: Letran def. UC - 86-76

USJ-R pulled away in the last quarter... The 2nd game was very much exciting because of the Visayan crowd heavily favoring somewhat of an underdog and their fellow Visayan of course, UC... sigh, sabagay ugaling Pinoy na talaga ang kantyawan pati hitsura ng players... UC led by as much as 7 pts in the 2nd quarter, 29-22 but Fajardo picked up a 3rd personal foul in the late 2nd quarter and Letran was able to snatch the lead again... Fajardo further got into foul trouble early in the 3rd quarter picking up his 4th foul and had to be sidelined for the rest of the 3rd quarter... Gomez lost his 3-pt touch in this game...

Crossover will be:
Letran vs. West Negros University
USJ-R vs. UC

AMA and BIT-IC are the ones eliminated in their respective brackets...
AMA lost to powerhouses Letran and UC while BIT-IC lost to WNU and USJ-R

nastrans
11-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the updates sir hodge, mukhang masaya yung laro ah.

Some few questions. Who were the leading scorers of both games? And how did Fajardo did despite getting into foul trouble?

Good luck to the semifinalists.

ankle breaker
11-10-2008, 10:28 PM
palagay ko letran at USJR sa finals. nako magandang game eto.
wala bang boxscores sa mga games? wala kasing nakapost sa PCCL site.

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
palagay ko letran at USJR* sa finals. nako magandang game eto.
wala bang boxscores sa mga games? wala kasing nakapost sa PCCL site.

sige, i'll try to get hold of it bukas... i'll ask them to photocopy it... Fajardo did ok against Letran, dami siya blocks much to the delight of Ormocanons who speak Cebuano... I rooted for UC kahit garapalan nilang lapitan ang top player ko kasi enamored na ako sa Ormocanons and Cebuanos... but still I didn't like the way some of the audience behaved against Letran... sabagay part na ng kantyawan yan... lalo ang mukha pinagdidiskitahan... Solar Sports was there so expect it to be shown in next week's One U...

you might want to ask H2O here also, he's from the City Government of Ormoc... Media Relations person for the PCCL, he can also easily get hold of the boxscores...

sir_hodge
11-10-2008, 11:25 PM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8308/zonal316jl7.th.jpg (http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zonal316jl7.jpg)
Ormoc Superdome Scoreboard
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/960/zonal313ce0.th.jpg (http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zonal313ce0.jpg)
UC warming up...
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7798/zonal309nb8.th.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zonal309nb8.jpg)
Fajardo vs. Foronda for the jump ball...
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2683/zonal311ne9.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zonal311ne9.jpg)
Solar Sports crew getting some Knights footage...

Schortsanitis
11-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Based on the pics by "sir_hodge", the games were very well attended. I suspect much more than it would've otherwise been had it been held in Manila.

The PCCL might want to think of holding more, if not all of the PCCL games in the provinces, with national TV coverage, of course.

durden_tyler
11-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Based on the pics by "sir_hodge", the games were very well attended. I suspect much more than it would've otherwise been had it been held in Manila.

The PCCL might want to think of holding more, if not all of the PCCL games in the provinces, with national TV coverage, of course.

i believe it's just the beginning and the future looks bright(er) for the PCC. Somewhere along the way the PCC organizers will have to look hard into it. Maybe an even longer tournament and a dragged format of sorts? Media coverage is indeed CRUCIAL and how the local government and local sponsors can support that aspect will be vital to the actual possibility.

sir_hodge
11-11-2008, 02:22 AM
yeah, the Ormoc Superdome was filled to 85-90% capacity... and this is just the eliminations with a ticket entrance fee, I expect full capacity in the Finals

yeah, I know they (PCCL) don't need any more income, well they are giving away P2M... the money generated from this event locally held here will be used in promoting further sports development in this city...

-insane-
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
sir_hodge yung box scores ha hehehe promise mo yan samin ha thanks

thadzonline
11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
ganda ng arena nyo sir_hodge ;D

CrossOver
11-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Oo nga astig daming mahihilig din sa basketball sa kanila halos puno. Sana mag post din yung ibang makakapanood ng laro sa location nila.

nastrans
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Iba talaga sa probinsya kapag may ganyang kalakihang event dudumugin talaga at alam nila na may event na ganoon di tulad dito sawa ng ang tao sa dami ng basketball.

chinito_guy
11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
^ I agree! imagine last year's Finals between Ateneo at UV, halos puro atenean lang ang marami (siempre 1 big fight), pero ang luwag ng Arena sa San Juan, and FREE pa yung event na yun, akala ko noon makikipagsiksikan ako eh hindi pala, pero I beileve na kung may ATENEO vs LA SALLE sa Finals ulit nakup aapaw ung arena, basta hwag din itapat sa WEEKDAYS, kapag weekends palagay ko mas marami manonood.
At Kung sakali dalawang Southern Squad nman ang makapasok sa FInals, I think mas marami manonood kapag sa South gagawin ung game. ;D

durden_tyler
11-11-2008, 01:25 PM
^ I agree! imagine last year's Finals between Ateneo at UV, halos puro atenean lang ang marami (siempre 1 big fight), pero ang luwag ng Arena sa San Juan, and FREE pa yung event na yun, akala ko noon makikipagsiksikan ako eh hindi pala, pero I beileve na kung may ATENEO vs LA SALLE sa Finals ulit nakup aapaw ung arena, basta hwag din itapat sa WEEKDAYS, kapag weekends palagay ko mas marami manonood.
At Kung sakali dalawang Southern Squad nman ang makapasok sa FInals, I think mas marami manonood kapag sa South gagawin ung game. ;D

i definitely agree that if there is a Southern team (or any provincial team in other cases) the stadium attendance will be better than that of a Manila venue. However, how do you think the turnout will be if say a couple of teams from NCR do make it to the Finals, would the crowd be as supportive?

chinito_guy
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
At Kung sakali dalawang Southern Squad nman ang makapasok sa FInals, I think mas marami manonood kapag sa South gagawin ung game.* ;D

i definitely agree that if there is a Southern team (or any provincial team in other cases) the stadium attendance will be better than that of a Manila venue. However, how do you think the turnout will be if say a couple of teams from NCR do make it to the Finals, would the crowd be as supportive?

Hopefully gate attendance will be better than last year.

Maaring mapuno yung venue if
(1) dalawang big schools from the Metro ang maglaban (100 % Pwede)
(2) Maitapat na walang pasok sa school or office (pero last year i took a day off just to watch the Finals* ;D)*
(3) Kahit may ticket basta maiMarket ng maayos at madessiminate ng tama ang info ng event sa mga schools (especially dun sa schools ng mga nakapasok sa Finals at battle for third).

Kung sakali hindi sikat yung dalawa schools na maghaharap ehhh sana magkaroon parin ng support ang mga tao sa event (pero parang malabo yun, considering the mentality of most Filipinos).

Schortsanitis
11-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I also was impressed with "Ormoc Superdome". Based on the pics, it is comparable to "The Arena" in San Juan, or the "Philsports Arena" in Pasig City. I thnk there should be more big basketball games held there, not only because of the good basketball venue, but because a lot of people patronized the games there as well.

sir_hodge
11-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I also was impressed with "Ormoc Superdome".* Based on the pics, it is comparable to "The Arena" in San Juan, or the "Philsports Arena" in Pasig City.* I thnk there should be more big basketball games held there, not only because of the good basketball venue, but because a lot of people patronized the games there as well.

Since the VAAA is going to push through this November 22, Ormoc will be the 2nd home of this tournament... I am not familiar with other cities' courts but the ones who are really into years and years of VisMin basketball tells me that this is the best one in the VisMin area... even the Cebu Coliseum, they tell me, don't have centralized air conditioning... the newly-constructed Tacloban Convention Center was damaged because of leaks dropping into the basketball court and it warped... I was really amazed that Ormoc already have a dome like this more than a decade ago... even my hometown Olongapo don't have this kind of Dome...

sir_hodge
11-11-2008, 03:57 PM

yeah, at i will definitely flaunt it here so that you guys will spread the word that Ormoc City can be a good venue for quality Basketball events... the local government unit of Ormoc is aggressively campaigning for sports tourism

chinito_guy
11-11-2008, 04:08 PM

yeah, at i will definitely flaunt it here so that you guys will spread the word that Ormoc City can be a good venue for quality Basketball events... the local government unit of Ormoc is aggressively campaigning for sports tourism

nabangit nyo kanina sir na cnetralized airconditioning, as in talagang from start ng first game gang sa end ng last game naka Aircon? kewl!!!!* 8)

dito kapag maglalaro na ATENEO saka isiswitch aircon, nyehehehe i wonder why?
kapag first game lalo't hindi eagles naglalaro wala aircon nyahahaha(observation lang po), this year kaya?* :D :D

sir_hodge
11-11-2008, 09:42 PM

nabangit nyo kanina sir na cnetralized airconditioning, as in talagang from start ng first game gang sa end ng last game naka Aircon? kewl!!!!* 8)

dito kapag maglalaro na ATENEO saka isiswitch aircon, nyehehehe i wonder why?
kapag first game lalo't hindi eagles naglalaro wala aircon nyahahaha(observation lang po), this year kaya?* :D :D

YES! YES! YES! I think one hour before the actual start of the game... kasi nagiipon pa lang ng crowd open na ang AC...

sir_hodge
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
update:
Game 1: Letran def. WNU - 90-78
Game 2: USJ-R def. UC - 95-87

Fajardo was fouled out in the middle of the 4th quarter... During the first half UC was in command, lots of 3-pters inside the floor... they led by as much as 14-15 pts i think... but USJ-R slowly crept during the 3rd quarter when again, Fajardo needed to be sidelined for collecting his 4th foul... USJ-R actually gained the lead in the 3rd quarter and there was no turning back...

Games tomorrow:
3:30PM AMA vs. BIT-IC
5:30PM UC vs. WNU
7:30PM Letran vs. USJ-R

sorry ha, wala pa boxscore, was busy in the morning from the Campus visits here in Ormoc then the players from all teams had a fellowship lunch hosted by our Mayor, Eric Codilla...

ankle breaker
11-11-2008, 10:37 PM
that's the achilles heel of fajardo, foul trouble. it seems that he can't cope up and control his fouls.

sir_hodge
11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
that's the achilles heel of fajardo, foul trouble. it seems that he can't cope up and control his fouls.

yeah... I don't know much about basketball but I can really observe he's a little bit careless regarding fouls... I also noticed he is not that good in free throws... what he does best is blocking shots and rebounds of course...

D_I_A
11-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Philstar
11/12/2008

Knights, Jaguars near ‘Sweet 16’

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Letran notched its second straight win as it thwarted University of Cebu, 86-76, in the Visayas zonal games of the Philippine Collegiate Championship at the Ormoc Dome, Ormoc City Monday.

The University of San Jose-Recoletos Jaguars routed the BIT Cruisers, 99-74, to match the Knights’ record and boost their bid for a spot in the Sweet 16.

The Cruisers bowed out of the race after losing to the West Negros U Mustangs, 62-90. The AMA Titans also kissed its hopes goodbye after bowing to the Univ. of Cebu Webmasters, 60-101.

In the crucial crossover matches, Letran faces West Negros U while USJR collides with CESAFI archrival University of Cebu for the two slots in the national finals.

The Philippine Collegiate Championship games, presented by Smart. PLDT, FilOil Flying V and KFC, will move to Cagayan de Oro City for the Mindanao zonal games at the Xavier University gym starting Friday.

thadzonline
11-12-2008, 10:59 AM

yeah... I don't know much about basketball but I can really observe he's a little bit careless regarding fouls... I also noticed he is not that good in free throws... what he does best is blocking shots and rebounds of course...

ajardo's freethrow ritual isn't that bad actually, maganda yung dynamics except for one thing: he uses his palm on the release instead of fingers. As to fouls, I have been saying that at intebasket, he actually gets away from a lot of fouls

sir_hodge
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Fajardo's freethrow ritual isn't that bad actually, maganda yung dynamics except for one thing: he uses his palm on the release instead of fingers. As to fouls, I have been saying that at intebasket, he actually gets away from a lot of fouls

ok, I have seen him in 3 games so far... and his free throw %age might be around a poor less-than-50%... I have never seen him convert both free throws, it's always 1 or nothing at all... must be because of what you are saying...

nastrans
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Any update on which team Letran and USJ-R will meet in the Sweet 16?

sir_hodge
11-12-2008, 10:03 PM
o nastrans, nakauwi na ako ako hindi mo pa pala naipost...* ;)

BIT-IC def. AMA - 99-97
UC def. WNU - 82-72
Letran def. USJ-R - 84-82

It was a night of come-from-behind victories... it's just aweful...* :'(
pero ok lang, nakakahanga ang composure ng Letran at kanilang grace under pressure...

sir_hodge
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Any update on which team Letran and USJ-R will meet in the Sweet 16?

USJR will meet DLSU
Letran got SSC-Recoletos

nastrans
11-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Sensiya na sir_hodge ngayon lang naginternet :D

Anyway, sir_hodge told me that RJ Jazul won the game for Letran with one second left. Lumalang pa USJ-R during crunch but bungled four free throws late.

Kawawa Letran, either Baste Cavite or La Salle makakalaban nila but it end up the latter, Sweet 16 pa lang hirap na Knights.

As for USJ-R, it will be an interesting matchup as they will meet a run-and-gun and athletic lanky squad of Baste-Cavite (hope for our fellow Cavite school to do well).

Again, thanks to sir_hodge for the updates.

sir_hodge
11-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Sensiya na sir_hodge ngayon lang naginternet :D

Anyway, sir_hodge told me that RJ Jazul won the game for Letran with one second left. Lumalang pa USJ-R during crunch but bungled four free throws late.

Kawawa Letran, either Baste Cavite or La Salle makakalaban nila but it end up the latter, Sweet 16 pa lang hirap na Knights.

As for USJ-R, it will be an interesting matchup as they will meet a run-and-gun and athletic lanky squad of Baste-Cavite (hope for our fellow Cavite school to do well).

Again, thanks to sir_hodge for the updates.

it's my pleasure... :D

ankle breaker
11-13-2008, 12:04 AM
what's true?

DLSU vs. USJSR or USJR vs. SSC-Cavite?

nastrans
11-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Mali pala ako, Letran will meet Baste Cavite while USJ-R battles La Salle, sensiya na.

Luck of the draw pa din ang Knights while USJ-R will be in for a hard time against the Archers.

nicksy
11-13-2008, 01:03 AM
looks like that JRU will be facing FEU in the sweet 16 round if FEU won their Zone.

sir_hodge
11-13-2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaI_VjrXgs
Video of Letran's huge comeback...

dark_blue
11-13-2008, 08:55 AM

Mukhang si Jazul ang gumawa ng winning shot ah. Kampi ang mga taga-Ormoc sa Knights haha

So SSC-Cavite pala makakalaban ng Knights. Goodluck sa kanila.

ARRIBA!

dark_blue
11-13-2008, 09:00 AM
USJ-R will face the NCAA Champ San Beda Red Lions in the Sweet 16

Source: inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/11/12/letran-usj-r-reach-sweet-16-round/)

gud2ya
11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
they said usjr was leading all the way...

good, hard-earned win by letran

top 3 cesafi good enough to be in the ncaa final 4?

-insane-
11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Mali pala ako, Letran will meet Baste Cavite while USJ-R battles La Salle, sensiya na.

Luck of the draw pa din ang Knights while USJ-R will be in for a hard time against the Archers.

letran vs baste cavite

usj-r vs SBC

chinito_guy
11-13-2008, 09:51 AM
wahhhh! ano ba talaga ang magkalaban??? SBC vs letran vs SSCR-c??? im confuse* :)

sir_hodge
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Source: inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/11/12/letran-usj-r-reach-sweet-16-round/)

this can't be true unless coach Joe fed me the wrong info last night...
I heard it clear that USJ-R picked up La Salle, unless he was mistaken... oh well

durden_tyler
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

this can't be true under coach Joe fed me the wrong info last night...
he was clear that USJ-R picked up La Salle, unless he was mistaken...

Letran takes on SSC-Cavite while USJR gets SBC in the Sweet Sixteen. Unless Mr. Rey Gamboa is mistaken, this one is the correct match-up.

(So now, we are all confused :D)

sir_hodge
11-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Mukhang si Jazul ang gumawa ng winning shot ah. Kampi ang mga taga-Ormoc sa Knights haha

The boys are loud and clear, they are for USJR... it's the girls that I can't figure out who they are really rooting for... they both scream when both squads make their shots... the video you have seen of the shot must be from the excitement and Letran was sitting in that corner... In all matches Letran played (UC, USJ-R, AMA, WNU) the crowd was against them, Ormocanons really favor underdogs...

Maybe the girls are too much captivated by the handsome boys of Letran... :D

CrossOver
11-14-2008, 12:37 AM
The Mindanao zonal games of the Philippine Collegiate Championship begin today with six teams, led by UAAP third placer Far Eastern U, vying for the last two remaining slots in the “Sweet 16” at Xavier University Gym, Cagayan de Oro City.

The other teams competing in the event presented by Smart, PLDT, FilOil Flying V and KFC are the University of Mindanao Wild Cats, the Ateneo de Zamboanga Blue Eagles, the Xavier University Crusaders, and wild card entries the University of San Carlos Warriors and the Capitol U Stallions.

In the recently concluded Visayas zonal at Ormoc City, Letran Knights swept their matches, including a tough 84-82 win over the University of San Jose-Recoletos Jaguars, to advance to the national finals.

Letran will meet Naascu champion San Sebastian-Recoletos de Cavite in the first round of Sweet 16.

University of San Juan-Recoletos also made it to the tournament proper along with University of Visayas. The Jaguars will take on NCAA champion the San Beda Red Lions in Group Y.

Other pairings in the first round of the knockout phase are Ateneo vs Lyceum, MLQU vs Cardinals; and Jose Rizal U vs one of the Mindanao zone winners in Group X.

In Group Y, it is UCN Golden Dragons vs Arellano U Chiefs; University of Visayas vs Univ. of the East; and La Salle vs one of the Mindanao zone winners.

chinito_guy
11-14-2008, 09:20 AM
^ ayos i think this makes it clear?

sir_hodge
11-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Some more memorable pics taken by Jake Cortes of the Ormoc Photographer's Club:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/87/titansatpcclzonal09st9.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=titansatpcclzonal09st9.jpg)
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8706/titansatpcclzonal11uv7.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=titansatpcclzonal11uv7.jpg)
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8968/titansatpcclzonal12my7.th.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=titansatpcclzonal12my7.jpg)
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8421/titansatpcclzonal13oc3.th.jpg (http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=titansatpcclzonal13oc3.jpg)
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9905/titansatpcclzonal10cf3.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=titansatpcclzonal10cf3.jpg)

sir_hodge
11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
NOV 14:
5:30-7:00 PM - FEU vs. ADZ
7:00-8:30 PM - USC vs. CU

NOV 15:
5:30-7:00 PM - XU vs. FEU
7:00-8:30 PM - UM vs. USC

NOV 16:
5:30-7:00 PM - ADZ vs. XU
7:00-8:30 PM - CU vs. UM

m_14
11-14-2008, 09:02 PM
sir_hodge nasa cagayan de oro city ka ba ngayon?? pics., boxscores and updates ha.. ;D

h2o
11-14-2008, 09:41 PM

So SSC-Cavite pala makakalaban ng Knights. Goodluck sa kanila.

ARRIBA!

Nagkakwentuhan kami ni Fr. Vic Calvo after sa game, sabi nya, yun daw mostly tira ni Jazul na patagilid and he made mostly of their winning games...

sir_hodge
11-14-2008, 11:28 PM
sir_hodge nasa cagayan de oro city ka ba ngayon?? pics., boxscores and updates ha.. ;D

hehe... Ormoc-based ako eh... :D

durden_tyler
11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Just in (Actually kanina pa, mga 2 hours ago, but ngayon lang nakaonline)

Suntukan* (asterisk kasi di ko alam kung gano kalala ang salyahan so generic na "suntukan" na lang :D) daw ang mga players (including coaches) between Xavier University and Ateneo de Zamboanga! Men for others talaga 'tong mga Jesuit schools na 'to 'no?

More details as they come (And can't wait to see the actual clips!)

(Di ko nga alam resulta din ng games kanina eh :D)

eightyfiver
11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
The choking incident during the UE-St Clare game was caught on cam. Pang-contrabida sa pelikula talaga ang hilatsa ng assistant coach ng St. Clare, hehe. And it didn't help that the referee he assaulted looked like a choir boy.

gfy
11-17-2008, 08:50 AM
The knockout format for the Sweet 16 should be reviewed for next year. It's ok in the US NCAA where 64 teams are competing in the March Madness. Here there are only 16 teams. I'd prefer the 16 teams are divided into two groups of 8 each where the bottom 4 of one group play the top 4 of the other group (much like the crossover now in the Zonals). All of these 16 teams are competitive and it's not farfetched that one team could make chamba for all sorts of reasons. They come to Manila and at least they get to play 4 games instead of one. Of course this will probably add a week or two in the schedule.

I am not in favor of expanded format. Many of the provincial teams are blown off the floor by Manila teams and we don't want to watch those. Once the provincial teams get competitive, then it's going to be ok.

durden_tyler
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
The knockout format for the Sweet 16 should be reviewed for next year. It's ok in the US NCAA where 64 teams are competing in the March Madness. Here there are only 16 teams. I'd prefer the 16 teams are divided into two groups of 8 each where the bottom 4 of one group play the top 4 of the other group (much like the crossover now in the Zonals). All of these 16 teams are competitive and it's not farfetched that one team could make chamba for all sorts of reasons. They come to Manila and at least they get to play 4 games instead of one. Of course this will probably add a week or two in the schedule.

I am not in favor of expanded format. Many of the provincial teams are blown off the floor by Manila teams and we don't want to watch those. Once the provincial teams get competitive, then it's going to be ok.

Already logistics is a big problem, so i am not sure if that is a very good suggestions. And KO games are way, way more exciting so i think it is better to stick with the current system.

durden_tyler
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Mindanao Zonals over! (And curiously, no Mindanao team advanced)

Far Eastern University won over Capitol University, 106-49 while University of San Carlos defeated Xavier University, 69-66. Sweet Sixteen is set with FEU setting up a date with the Jose Rizal University Heavy Bombers as USC takes on the De La Salle Green Archers!

Game! Knockout na!

thadzonline
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
whew! I knew that Xavier-USC game would be close

devilishblue
11-17-2008, 10:13 PM
saw the game live....CAWALING made a sick dunk!.

3 straight 3-point shots caused the game for XU.

ankle breaker
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
any boxscores? i know USC can pull the trigger will expect them to do it again against la salle next week.

nastrans
11-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Congratulations to FEU and USC for entering the Sweet 16.

Sayang walang Mindanao team or even a non-Cebu squad from the south ang nakapasok but well good luck to all teams.

amdgc82
11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/Images/sweet%20sixteen%20copy.png

durden_tyler
11-18-2008, 12:37 PM
For the sake of discussions on the match-ups might as well post this here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wboYFL5U47c/SSI9YFHJo9I/AAAAAAAABGw/4KOTZGb6k-s/s400/PCC+Schedule+Updated+Nov+18.bmp

So predictions anyone?

This early i am rooting for any team outside the NCAA/UAAP--- you know we always like the underdog tag.

chinito_guy
11-18-2008, 12:51 PM
:o WOW!! You know what??? I Really Love this THREAD!!! May sched agad ;D ;D ;D
I wab u gameface!!!

chinito_guy
11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
These are my Elite 8:

1. Ateneo ( I havent seen Lyceum play)
2. SBC (USJR will need all the luck in this one)
3. Mapua (I haven't seen MLQU play)
4. DLSU (They are lucky in their first round match)

5. Arellano (I haven't seen UCN play)
6. UE (over UV, i really think UE is the underdog here)
7. SSC-R C (against Letran, this will be very interesting Go NAASCU!)
8. FEU (since JRU is the top seeded, ill go for the underdog)

oca
11-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Sweet Sixteen:

Left bracket
Ateneo over Lyceum
Mapua over MLQU
JRU over FEU
SSC-Cavite over CSJL

Right Bracket
San Beda over USJ-R
Arellano over UCN
DLSU over USC
UE over UV

Left bracket

--I expect Ateneo to make the Finals. Pero mapanuri kong panonoorin ang laban ng Ateneo at Mapua sa rd-of-8. I expect the Cardinals to employ that paralyzing and debilitating slow break. Gaano kaya ka-epektib? (Btw, nasaan nga ba si dela Pena? He was drafted sa PBA but di ko pa nakita maglaro? Makakalaro pa ba siya dito sa PCCL?)

--JRU v FEU. Para sa akin ito ang pinakamagandang laban sa rd-of-16. Lahat ng position may magandang match-up.* In the last UAAP season, FEU was said to be the best foil to Ateneo because of its tall frontline. But that will be tested by an equally big and even more physical JRU lineup. I think JRU will take this one, dahil magpapakamatay talaga ang mga iyan manalo in their aim to get respect.

--An Ateneo-JRU semis on this side of the draw, imo, will be a mismatch! Norman has settled firmly on being the coach of this team and the Blue Eagles are smarter overall. Di yan kayang i-overcome ng kalibre ni Vanguardia at nang Bombers. Pero yung harapan ng players sa shaded area, JRU front line kontra Rabe and AkoSiNonoy, blockbuster yan!

--CSJL kontra SSC-R. If Daa's injury doesn't heal in time, SSC-R -Cavite should prevail. Two short teams will not go far in this bracket.

Right Bracket

--If it materializes, a San Beda- Arellano matchup in the rd-of-8 would be very interesting. The NCAA champion against a team applying for admission to the same league.* A case of one team wanting to prove its worth against the champion no less. Red Lions should prevail against a team that could only win by margin of 20pts or less over Team B's of the NCAA and UAAP. Teka, may rd-of-16 game pa pala ng San Beda kontra USJ-R. Well, all the Red Lions need to do is control the boards and that's it. Cebuano teams are by nature volume shooting teams. Deny them second shot attempts and you will beat them.

--DLSU and UE going up against Cebu based schools should be worth watching. But I will place my bets on the Manila teams based solely on coaching abilities. I saw the Cesafi playoffs on BTV, and I just find it hard to find ryhme and reason on the coaching. (Same also applies to the SBC-USJ-R game.)

--Sa pagtatagpo ng Archers at Warriors sa rd-of-8, I will pick DLSU. Though the last UAAP finals unmasked this Archers line-up as a two man team of JV and Rico and Dindo is a smart coach who can exploit that, I pick DLSU because--- with NABRO NOT blowing the whistle here, the Archers are in a perfect venue to prove its case against the officiating at the UAAP in the last finals. What better motivation can a losing finalist from a NABRO officiated league have?

--San Beda kontra DLSU, I don't expect San Beda to advance from here. Playing an unfamiliar but talented opponent will be difficult for Coach Frankie to make adjustments. Pag nag-abot na sa court ang mga koponan na minsanan lang magtagpo, you always ask how well the coaches will make the adjustments. You can have all the scouting reports on hand, watched the opponents game - live or taped, pero pag nagharap na kayo, iba yun. I don't think the RL coaching staff has the mettle to come up with the adjustments in this high-stakes one-game-affairs.

Finals: Ateneo v La Salle

Who will win? Without the stabilizing presence of a Chris Tiu, I'll give this to the Archers.

Over simplistic ba? Lintek, nagkakatuwaan tayo sa pag-pre-predict, gawing complicated baga! ;)