PDA

View Full Version : The race to get naturalized or mixed-blood players

pachador
05-22-2007, 06:03 AM
As you guys know, Syria just got 3 syrian-Brazilians. I believe the Arms race to hire bigger and better naturalized or mixed players started by the Philippines in Asia , followed by lebanon and Qatar and now Syria is accelerating. The urgency to jumpstart our grassroots program together with expanded scouting for -fil-ams and fil-foreigners must be done right away because other asian counties specially in the middle east have a large pool of arab-foreigners to choose from. see below

Arab Brazilians

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An Arab Brazilian is a Brazilian-born person of Arab descent, sometimes including other non-Arabic Middle Eastern peoples.

The population of Brazil identifying with either full or partial Arabic descent is estimated at between 15 to 17 million people, most of them tracing their roots back to Lebanese and Syrian immigrants who arrived in Brazil in the early 1900s. The Lebanese population in Brazil, over 10 million descendants and recent immigrants is larger than the population in Lebanon. Today, only a minority of these Arab Brazilians still know and use their original Arabic language, most of them having shifted to Portuguese.

Immigration of Arabs to Brazil started in the late 1800s, most of them coming from Lebanon, later from Syria and Jordan, Palestine and Morocco. Arab immigration to Brazil grew in the 1900s, and was concentrated in the state of São Paulo, but also extended to Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and other parts of Brazil.

Initially, most Arab immigrants in Brazil were Christians.However, after the 1970s, many Muslim Lebanese immigrated, and the current Muslim population of Brazil, predominantly of Lebanese origin, is estimated at 1.5 million.[1] There are also Brazilian Jews who are or whose ancestors were immigrants from Lebanon, Syria and North Africa; among them is Harry Abdul, the father of American singer/dancer Paula Abdul.

The Arab culture has influenced many aspects of Brazil's culture. In big towns of Brazil it is easy to find restaurants of Arab food, and Arab dishes, such as hummus, kibbeh, tahina, tabbouleh and halwa are very well-known among Brazilians. Most Middle-Eastern immigrants in Brazil have worked as traders, roaming the vast country to sell textiles and clothes and open new markets. This economic history can be seen today in the ways that the Sao Paulo-based Arab Brazilian Chamber of Commerce has gained greater recognition in increasing Brazilian exports to the Arab world (see: Karam, John Tofik. 2007. Another Arabesque: Syrian-Lebanese Ethnicity in Neoliberal Brazil. Philadelphia: Temple University Press).

Arab-Brazilians are well integrated into Brazilian society. Many important Brazilians are of Arab descent, including important politicians, such as São Paulo's former mayor Paulo Maluf and governor Geraldo Alckmin, artists, writers and even top models

Bennie Bangag
05-22-2007, 08:06 AM
i don't feel there is an urgency to launch this kind of talent search. meron na tayong sinimulang programa, kung saan sa pamumuno ni chot reyes at katulong ang san miguel corporation at suporta ng PBA ay ibinabangon natin ang pangalan ng pilipinas sa mundo ng basketball.

pachador
05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
you mean the grassroots program has already started? As far as i read in the newspapers, the only program started is the national team program under chot reyes. I have not read any specific activities geared to grass roots devt of young players specially in the provinces. I would like to know myself if there indeed any grassroots activities going on other than the national team preparations.

i don't feel there is an urgency to launch this kind of talent search. meron na tayong sinimulang programa, kung saan sa pamumuno ni chot reyes at katulong ang san miguel corporation at suporta ng PBA ay ibinabangon natin ang pangalan ng pilipinas sa mundo ng basketball.

Bennie Bangag
05-22-2007, 08:46 AM
there is no need for grassroots development for basketball because the talent is there for the taking. ang mga magagaling ay kusang aangat sa mga susunod na lebel dahil well-established ang mga istraktura sa mga paaralan. mas higit na kinakailangan ang grassroots development sa ibang sports gaya ng swimming, volleyball, track and field, at marami pa dahil kung walang magbabantay sa kanilang development, lahat ng ating magagaling na atleta ay magpupuntahan sa basketball dahil ito ang nagbibigay ng pinakamaraming oportunidad para makapag-aral sa kolehiyo at maging propesyunal na manlalaro. walang ganyan sa ibang sports maliban na lang sa bilyar.

pachador
05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
I agree there are tousands of talents but this young basketball players are not necessarily well-grounded in basketball fundamentals as evidenced by numerous giants who have raw skills like eman samigue . I agree that other sports have been neglected, but unfortunately, sports devt need money ,and private companies only give money based on sports popularity , hence it is market driven.
maybe the govt can step in here ?

there is no need for grassroots development for basketball because the talent is there for the taking. ang mga magagaling ay kusang aangat sa mga susunod na lebel dahil well-established ang mga istraktura sa mga paaralan. mas higit na kinakailangan ang grassroots development sa ibang sports gaya ng swimming, volleyball, track and field, at marami pa dahil kung walang magbabantay sa kanilang development, lahat ng ating magagaling na atleta ay magpupuntahan sa basketball dahil ito ang nagbibigay ng pinakamaraming oportunidad para makapag-aral sa kolehiyo at maging propesyunal na manlalaro. walang ganyan sa ibang sports maliban na lang sa bilyar.

yungha
05-22-2007, 10:22 AM
there's grassroots development in the sense that there's BEST and other age group basketball clinics. but there's no real program to develop young, promising, tall players in batches. take a look at argentina - they've been dominant internationally because ginobili's group has been playing together since they were 16-year old age groupers. take a look at korea - they have a 22-and-under team, a 20-and-under team, an 18-and-under team and a 16-and-under team. each of their teams is trained the same way and plays exactly like their senior men's team. take a look around their playgrounds, school gyms, backyard courts, the players play the same style. that's why it's easy for the men's team to get players from the younger teams if they need to retool. they don't need to recruit naturalized or mixed-blood players to stay competitive.

i also beg to differ that we can't compete because we're short. argentina, france and greece's players are not much taller than ours and if they can produce world-class teams why can't we.

Sam Miguel
05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I had a long dinner and post-dinner talk with three Pinoy coaches and the hoops discussion eventually wound its way through the subject of finding-recruiting-training mixed-race and/or naturalized players.

Admittedly the last time the Philippines could be considered a basketball power even in Asia was during the NCC era of Danding Cojuangco, Ron Jacobs and the naturalized Americans Dennis Still, Jeff Moore and Chip Engeland.

The three coaches I was with were all actually for getting naturalized players in the Still-Moore-Engelang mold. Their main contention is that it is allowed under FIBA rules anyway. Why not get foreigners willing to be naturalized to play for the RP Team. There would be no need to bribe these players anyway since there is a professional league, the PBA, where they can get top money if they really are that good.

I am of a mind to disagree though. I believe there are more than enough top-quality players with size and skill in this country. Not all of the top players are necessarily filtered through the top college leagues, the UAAP and NCAA, such as the cases of Dondon Hontiveros, Gary David, Ranidel and Yancy De Ocampo and JR Quinahan.

What we do need is a more focused system or program of uncovering these talents. This is where the school systems might come in more handily. For all their talent we still need to train players in order to make them truly international-calibre. Argentina did not produce the likes of Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto overnight, ditto China and Yao Ming. Since we do not have the centralized sports factories of those two countries we need to commit the schools to be eyes, ears and hands for the cause of Philippine Hoopdom.

The case of Samigue Eman is intriguing. Not because he cannot seem to realize his full potential, but because there seems to be other things not related to basketball holding him back, as seen in his interview here in gameface.ph. Bonel Balingit could be the parallel case for Eman, as a Pinoy giant who made the big move to Manila to hone his basketball skills. Balingit made it to the Mythical Team of the PBA sometime in 1996, quite a feat considering those were still the superstar years of Benjie Paras, Jerry Codinera, Dennis Espino and even a very young Marlou Aquino. If Balingit could do that by sheer dint of hard work, there is no reason Eman, or any other country player for that matter, cannot do the same.

Just take a look at the long line of Pinoy ballers with skill and above-average to superior size at that skill level. Heck, 6'4" to 6'6" players are practically a dime a dozen now, and their skill levels are vast and myriad. What if we could put together a team with heights ranging from 6'4" to 6'9" all of whom can play at least two positions with alacrity. Manpower is not in short supply. Skill is not in short supply. All we have to do is actually go out there and find them.

AnthonyServinio
05-23-2007, 12:42 AM
* * *OVER 25 years ago, then project director for basketball Danding Cojuangco came up with the idea of recruiting Americans and naturalizing them to play for the national team. The idea was not new as several other countries have done so in the past.

* * *Hence, the search introduced Pinoys to the likes of Jeffrey Moore, Dennis Still, Eddie Joe Chavez, Robert Worthy, Steve Lingerfellter, Steve Schaal and many others.* Cojuangco also brought in an American coach in Ron Jacobs.

* * *The plan was simple -- the Americans would reinforce the team in order to make it competitive instantly and immediately reclaim the country's lost glory.* The program also brought in Fil-Am recruits like Ricardo Brown and William Pearson.* As part of the long-term goal, the Americans would slowly be phased out once the local players have developed.

The Philippine Men's NT suddenly was an all-American show, with only two homegrown Pinoys as role players on the roster in San Beda College standouts JB Yango and Frankie Lim. The Americans did not stay that long and went home one by one, with Fil-Ams Brown and Pearson staying behind to pursue successful PBA careers as local players.

* * *The program hit a snag when the FIBA ruled against the Philippines when it fielded Moore, Still, Jerome Hegwood and Johnny Nash in the 1983 ABC Men's in Hong Kong.* The issue was that the players lacked the minimum three-year residency to qualify under the FIBA rules (this rule has since been repealed).* The result was the Philippines failing to go past the elimination round for the first time in ABC history.

* * *Of course, Moore and Still returned with avengeance and helped power the Philippines to its last ABC Men's title in January of 1986 in Malaysia.

* * *A month later, President Ferdinand E. Marcos was ousted from power and a lot of those closely associated with him fled the country, including Cojuangco.* Coach Jacobs, Moore, Still and another naturalized player Arthur Engelland all returned to the United States.

true.blue
05-23-2007, 06:25 AM
It's true that we have a lot of 6'4-6'6 players now and just have to continue developing them and exposing them to international play.* The problem I think is that we still lack legitimate centers in the 6'10 to 7'2 range to battle the competition.* As shown by how we fared in the FIBA Asian Champions Cup, Asi Taulava, for all his brawn and determination, cannot at "just" 6'9 contain the opposing centers.* While it is true many of those centers are imports, we should expect the same types of opponents in July. If ever we need a "quick fix", it should just be in the Center position.

khernitz
05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
It's true that we have a lot of 6'4-6'6 players now and just have to continue developing them and exposing them to international play. The problem I think is that we still lack legitimate centers in the 6'10 to 7'2 range to battle the competition. As shown by how we fared in the FIBA Asian Champions Cup, Asi Taulava, for all his brawn and determination, cannot at "just" 6'9 contain the opposing centers. While it is true many of those centers are imports, we should expect the same types of opponents in July. If ever we need a "quick fix", it should just be in the Center position.

i disagree....taulava's 6'9 height and frame is more than adequate at the center position.....dennis rodman, ben wallace, even the legendary willis reed are all shorter than asi, but they can go toe to toe with bigger men, even centers from other teams (with a few exceptions like say shaq).....i remember rodman giving the 7'0 foot david robinson a hard time and beating everybody in rebounds.....he's only 6'6....

true.blue
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
^^ Well, don't take it just from me... I am just a distant observer like most of us here.* Take it from the news accounts of how we fared in the FIBA Asia Champions Cup, plus comments from the Australian national team coach that we just need another big guy or two and we would be competitive.* Or even the comment of Noli Eala that we may need to reevaluate the composition of the team, noting that Asi needs a big backup.

Don't get me wrong. Asi is good. But he can't do it alone. Maybe he can push out his man out of the lane some or even most of the time, but if there is another big guy from the opponent out there, then you see what happened, many points scored off us in the lanes. Plus our national team is not the Chicago Bulls team, wherein the sheer abundance of talent and skills of the team can compensate for any weakness in the middle (Cartwright et al).

Joescoundrel
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
^^ Well, don't take it just from me... I am just a distant observer like most of us here.* Take it from the news accounts of how we fared in the FIBA Asia Champions Cup, plus comments from the Australian national team coach that we just need another big guy or two and we would be competitive.* Or even the comment of Noli Eala that we may need to reevaluate the composition of the team, noting that Asi needs a big backup.

Don't get me wrong.* Asi is good.* But he can't do it alone.* Maybe he can push out his man out of the lane some or even most of the time, but if there is another big guy from the opponent out there, then you see what happened, many points scored off us in the lanes.* Plus our national team is not the Chicago Bulls team, wherein the sheer abundance of talent and skills of the team can compensate for any weakness in the middle (Cartwright et al).

On the issue of undersized centers: I believe it is always better to go for more standard size (or bigger) at any position in order to succeed in basketball. Guys like Dennis Rodman, Dave Cowens, et al are more exception than rule. It is still the more standard sized centers that generally dominate, i.e. Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, etc. Asi Taulava is our biggest and most skilled big man now and he is 6'9" and 260 pounds, not exactly world-beating dimensions. It'd probably be a different reckoning if he were an NBA player like Roni Tauriaf or Jason Maxiell or Ronnie Milsap (post players roughly Asi's size). In those instances at least we know those are people with enough talent to be NBA rotation players if not necessarily all-stars, and hence may be good enough to at least stand toe-to-toe against standard sized international centers.

gameface_one
02-22-2008, 11:24 AM
BAP-SBP mulls stint of naturalized players

The Philippine Star

The BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas is considering the idea of tapping naturalized players for the national team since there’s no rule against it in the International Basketball Federation (FIBA).

"This is a delicate issue but our people must understand that no less than the world body is encouraging its member nations to take advantage of this rule," said SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio.

"Even world powers USA and Russia have been fielding naturalized players. Russia topped the recent FIBA Europe championship with its naturalized player hitting the deciding free throws in the closing seconds," Gregorio added.

Gregorio noted Hakeen Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing and Tim Duncan were among naturalized Americans who had donned the US colors in an international tournament.

If ever, Gregorio, however, assured they would not get basketball mercenaries but naturalized players who have affinity to the country.

This particular rule has changed the basketball landscape in Asia. Arab teams emerged as new powers with their aggressive recruitment of players from abroad.

Incidentally, the Philippines had its last Asian championship in 1986 behind a team featuring naturalized players Dennis Still, Jeff Moore and Chip Engelland.

In the last FIBA-Asia championship in Tokushima, Lebanon, Jordan and Japan were among teams which fielded naturalized players.

It’s also noted that several Asian teams are relying on foreign coaches. Among teams with foreign coaches are China, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon and Qatar.

National coach Chot Reyes himself is keen on recruiting a naturalized player.

In fact, he has one prospect – a 21-year-old seven-footer he met during the RP team’s trip in Belgrade last year.

Gregorio, on the other hand, is pointing to the likes of Sam Ekwe, a foreign player who can relate with the Filipinos.

The SBP in partnership with Tao Corp. and Nokia Philippines has just launched an ambitious bid to make the Olympics in London in 2012.

The federation has put up a youth program and is hoping to have a tie-up with the PBA, running a parallel program for the elite competitions.

"The idea is to prepare the youth team for the elite championships by 2011. But at the moment, we still need the help of the PBA. If they can’t run the program, we’ll be happy if they can lend their expertise and their players. We’ll be the one to look for the patron," said Gregorio.

The SBP executive director said Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero is willing to fund the team’s campaign in the next Asian Games. Nelson Beltran

BigBlue
02-22-2008, 12:28 PM
maybe the mods can modify the thread to include a poll to see how gamefacers like the idea?

gameface_one
02-22-2008, 05:20 PM
^^^ Good idea.

john_paul_manahan
02-23-2008, 02:19 AM
i see no problem. as long as it abides with philippine regulations

gameface_one
02-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Naturalization partial solution
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Philstar.com

The big news in basketball yesterday was the BAP-SBP’s floating the idea of using naturalized players in international competition, with the main argument for it being that there is no rule against it in FIBA. Generally speaking, certain competitions allow up to two naturalized players per country, while others do not.

This is a partial solution to the problem of verifying international players’ eligibility. If teams are allowed to have naturalized players, they’ll be less likely to forge passports and other documents. Some quarters feel this would be a good intermediary step towards building up our teams for the short term.

“If you’re going to build a pyramid, you don’t start at the top, you begin with the base,” says PBA pioneer Francis Arnaiz. “I have nothing against Fil-Ams, for example. They bring a certain flavor to the PBA. But we also lose the connection with people. They don’t aspire to be those players, because they can’t.”

Perhaps the crowbar that will pry open the door for naturalization is San Beda College’s Sam Ekwe. The 6-8 Nigerian has only one year of eligibility left, because he will turn 25, the age limit for college play. He’s already played in the PBL, and can’t play in the PBA because he’s not a Filipino, and he’s not as polished as most imports.

So it stands to reason that, instead of wasting all his training, he should be allowed to acquire Filipino citizenship, and play for our flag and country.

But what will he do in between foreign exposures? It’s not as if we can have a whole platoon of naturalized players and just pull them out of a closet depending on the need, like human Swiss army knives. Then there’s the issue of compensation. What would they be paid? It already became a sore point for the women’s national team that the three Fil-Ams were being given higher allowances than their “natural” teammates. Eventually, this issue became too difficult to overcome, even though the improvement in the team’s record became palpable.

Meanwhile, the culture is apparently changing in the NBA.

Now, the teams closest to the top are making themselves stronger, no longer content to just sell out their arenas. When Shaquille O’Neal first left the Los Angeles Lakers, the common opinion was that team owner Jerry Buss went with Kobe Bryant not because of the potential to win championships, but because he would play more seasons and sell out more seasons. Never mind the hardware.

The Cleveland Cavaliers got Ben Wallace, Joe Smith and a second-round pick from the Chicago Bulls, and Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West from the Sonics in a salary cap-clearing deal for Seattle. Before that, we all heard about Pau Gasol going to the Lakers, O’Neal going to the Phoenix Suns, and Jason Kidd going to the Dallas Mavericks.

Basically, this will create a divide among teams who are poised to rebuild, and teams that feel the imperative to win now. In the case of Phoenix, Steve Nash is getting on in years, and with all his mileage, needs to win immediately. It also shows the new clout of superstars in the NBA.

For almost a whole season, Kobe was complaining privately and publicly about the lack of support, the main reason they couldn’t win a championship. Obviously, LeBron James needs the same help, or he’ll ask to be shipped out, too. That shows the box office draw isn’t the only advantage these name players have over others. Coaches and general managers who don’t comply could lose their jobs.

Finally, it also makes common a dangerous practice, which the Lakers themselves fell victim to just a few seasons ago. The Portland Trailblazers also once had the best team money could buy, but the NBA championship was still out of reach. This may just make NBA players more mercenary, and start a merry-go-round of talent for teams perceived to be “contenders.” This, in turn, could be influenced by the media.

Just imagine, the Boston Celtics won all those championships without having to resort to such huge trades. Makes you wonder what changed since then.

danny
02-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Hmmm. MVP loves Sam Ekwe and Kevin Udo! ;)

amdgc82
03-06-2008, 04:52 AM
Foreigners Ekwe, Udo could be ‘naturalized’ to strengthen RP 5 (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/03062008/sports06.html)
By Joel Orellana
Reporter
www.businessmirror.com.ph
THE Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) is looking at foreign players who could reinforce the national team in international competitions.

And the primary object of the BAP-SBP’s desire is San Beda’s Sam Ekwe, the six-foot-eight Nigerian who was heavily responsible for the Red Lions’ back-to-back titles in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in 2006 and 2007.

BAP-SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio told the BusinessMirror that Ekwe, and another Nigerian, six-foot-seven Kevin Emeka Udo, will backstop the Harbour Centre national squad in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Championship set from April 2 to 6 in Jakarta, Indonesia.

“In principle, okey na sa NCAA Management Committee and San Beda, but we’re still formalizing it,” said Gregorio.

The Harbour Centre-backed national team is the defending champion of the Seaba tournament.

Gregorio said the BAP-SBP could also move further, and this is to make Ekwe a naturalized citizen, so much so that he could be eligible for major international competitions such as the Asian Games and Fiba tournaments.

“Why Ekwe? He’s been here for a long time and he’s a very good man. So, why not make him our naturalized player. Tutal dito naman siya nag-aaral, and I think he will be a big help to our national team,” said Gregorio.

Ekwe’s stint at the Seaba tourney will be a test of sorts, Gregorio said, because the BAP-SBP wants to know the pulse of the people on the Nigerian’s naturalization.

Ekwe, 25, will play his final year with San Beda in the coming NCAA season, while Udo is only playing in the league for the first time.

FibaA allows each country to field one naturalized player.

“This is something that the BAP-SBP wants to look into seriously. Tutal, pinapayagan naman ng Fiba ang pag-naturalize so, why not grab the opportunity,” said Gregorio. “Let’s see how the people will react on this.”

During the 1980s, the Ron Jacobs-coached national team had naturalized players—Jeff Moore, Chip England and Dennis Still—and were successful in their overseas stints.

The Habour Centre-RP team won the Seaba crown last year with Nigerian Julius Nwosu and Vidal Messiah as reinforcements.

amdgc82
03-10-2008, 06:23 AM
BAP-SBP considers citizenship for Ekwe (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080309123)
By Joey Villar
Monday, March 10, 2008
http://www.philstar.com

The Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas has drawn up plans to naturalize San Beda’s Nigerian center Sam Ekwe to bolster the national teams competing in future international competitions.

BAP-SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio, however, said they first have to make a case study before going through the process of making the 6-9 Ekwe a naturalized Filipino citizen to be able to play for the country.

“Yes, it’s part of the plan but we’re planning to conduct a deep study first before we do anything,” said Gregorio.

The development came when the BAP-SBP announced Saturday that Ekwe, the 2006 NCAA MVP from Lagos, Nigeria, will reinforce the Harbour Centre-backed RP team as an import in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) Champions Cup slated April 2-6 in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Amateur basketball godfather and Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero said Ekwe as a Filipino will play a major role in the country’s future campaigns.

“He (Ekwe) will be a vital element in the composition of the national team in the future,” said Romero.

San Beda rector Fr. Mateo de Jesus, OSB, said there’s nothing wrong with the idea as long as Ekwe agrees to it.

“Is that what he (Ekwe) wants? If so I wish him the best,” De Jesus yesterday told The STAR.

De Jesus, meanwhile, said they had already given Ekwe the green light to suit up for the Jorge Gallent-mentored Nationals in the SEABA Cup where the country is the defending champion.

“We’ve already allowed him to play for the RP team, the request is now with the NCAA management committee,” said De Jesus.

Mancom chair Paul Supan of Jose Rizal, for his part, said they’re just waiting for the official communication from the BAP-SBP, San Beda or Harbour Centre before making a decision.

“No official letter yet, but if San Beda agrees I don’t think there would be any problem,” said Supan.

If things work out fine, Ekwe will join a team composed of members of the gold medal winning RP squad in last year’s Southeast Asian Games in Thailand, including Jason Castro, Jonathan Fernandez, Jeff Chan, Beau Belga, Al Vergara, Chad Alonzo and Boyet Bautista.

Other members of the Jakarta-bound team are Harbour Centre standouts TY Tang, Edwin Asoro, Jerwin Gaco, Dylan Ababou and Fil-Am cager Solomon Mercado.

BigBlue
03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
San Beda rector Fr. Mateo de Jesus, OSB, said there’s nothing wrong with the idea as long as Ekwe agrees to it.

“Is that what he (Ekwe) wants? If so I wish him the best,” De Jesus yesterday told The STAR.

has anyone bothered to check if Ekwe is even the slightest bit interested in pursuing such a thing? maybe the folks from the Lion's Den can share if indeed such a thing is possible?

LION
03-10-2008, 10:42 AM
In an interview last year, Sam told the public that it would be an honor for him to be granted Filipino citizenship and play for the country. :)

BigBlue
03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
great news then! just bothered on how these so-called sports journalists seem to have left out sam's views on the matter.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Ayos! The rebounds will be better secured this time around and may lee-way ang team na tumakbo where Jason Castro thrives. Sama pa dyan yung mga athletic wingmen and SG like Mercado and Asoro.

abcdef
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
great news then! just bothered on how these so-called sports journalists seem to have left out sam's views on the matter.

OT: Natakot lang siguro kay Sam! ;D

That option would be good. However, in an Asian level of play he will not be that much of a help. For someone who just learned basketball late in his life he is too old to be a project player. But in the short run, he can fill in the holes until japeth returns for the country or we discover a big fil-am who will really be the center of the Philippine team. :)

franz888
03-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Sam maybe too old to be a project but not KE who is just 19 yo.and is more advanced than Sam when he first came into the country. I hope the RP team can have both Sam and KE.

lekiboy
03-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Sam maybe too old to be a project but not KE who is just 19 yo.and is more advanced than Sam when he first came into the country. I hope the RP team can have both Sam and KE.

Sam I think is just enoughto suit up for the SEABA- I do not think anyone can outrebound SAm right now in the amateur leagues... para naman maiba ang mabubutata ni Sam.... :)

ok lah!

batangueño
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
The Hard Ball boys (Bill, Boyet and Jinno) have just taken up the issue in their program. Sam Ekwe playing for the Philippines in international competition? Why not provided that he becomes a naturalized Filipino. ;)

yungha
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
OA na kasi if suit up naturalized players just for SEABA. franz's rp youth team can win that tournament given a few more months of conditioning and practice.

That option would be good. However, in an Asian level of play he will not be that much of a help. For someone who just learned basketball late in his life he is too old to be a project player.

in fiba-asia tournaments, sam can help out in rebounding and shotblocking. but if we intend to find a player who'll get us back to the olympics and world championships, might as well go all out and recruit a skilled 7-footer.

Joescoundrel
03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
^ How about them Lopez boys over at Stanford? At least their names sound Pinoy, and they could pass off as tisoys... ;D

yungha
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
^exactly. brook or robin lopez would be perfect, a 7-footer who can rebound, block shots, take up space, intimidate and score when needed.

since we're looking at naturalizing 2 players, my idea is to get one big guy and one scoring machine, a conscience-less gunner who can put up points in a hurry. an ideal player would be an NCAA scoring machine but someone too short to play 2-guard in the NBA or something like that - someone like shawn respert of michigan state, randolph childress of wake forest, joe forte of UNC, julius hodge of nc state, etc. among the current crop, there's sean singletary of virginia or courtney lee of western kentucky. if we get a player like any of the above, points won't be a problem like it was during the last fiba asia.

libre naman mangarap.

amdgc82
04-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Ekwe willing to become Pinoy (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080402120842.html)
By WAYLON GALVEZ
www.mb.com.ph

Sam Ekwe, the 6-8 Nigerian center of the San Beda Red Lions, is willing to become a naturalized Filipino if his services for the national basketball team will be needed.

Ekwe has been reported as being eyed by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) to don the national colors for the next few years.

"I started basketball here in the Philippines. I think there’s no way I can say no if they asked me," the 24-year-old Ekwe said during the PSA Forum yesterday at the Shakey’s Restaurant along UN Avenue.

"As long as it will help my career to go professional, why not," Ekwe, a third-year B.S. Management student of SBC, added.

Ekwe, who became the NCAA Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player (MVP) awardee in 2006, admitted that he’s hoping to play in the PBA after his collegiate career with the Red Lions.

He has played in the PBL last season as part of the SBC basketball program and its tie-up with Magnolia Beverage (now San Mig Coffee).

In the PBA and even in international competitions like the Asian Games and the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, however, he cannot play unless it’s a tournament reinforced by imports.

But being naturalized is a different story.

"Theres a move from SBP to naturalize him and be the main guy to carry the national team in the next five years," said Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero.

"I think we’ll have a good chance in the Asian Games and in our quest for the Olympics," he said.

Ekwe will have a taste of playing for the national team as the import of the RP-Harbour Centre in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) Champions Cup set April 4-6 in Jakarta Indonesia.

"Sam will be a vital part of this team. This international exposure, I believe, will make him. I think this will be his shining moment," Romero said.

The_Big_Cat
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
OA na kasi if suit up naturalized players just for SEABA. franz's rp youth team can win that tournament given a few more months of conditioning and practice.

That option would be good. However, in an Asian level of play he will not be that much of a help. For someone who just learned basketball late in his life he is too old to be a project player.

in fiba-asia tournaments, sam can help out in rebounding and shotblocking. but if we intend to find a player who'll get us back to the olympics and world championships, might as well go all out and recruit a skilled 7-footer.

We don't really need an impressive recruit to beef up our national team. We just plug the holes, get the piece we are lacking and that is rebounding and defense. The homegrown talents will provide the offense.

I agree Sam Ekwe will be a great asset particularly in terms of defense. Ekwe can be pitted to play defense on South Korean 7'3" Ha Seung Jin and Iran's 7'2" Hedadi. Asi Taulava is already 34 while Japeth Aguilar is I think two years away before he could play for our national team.

PilipinasFan
10-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Wanted 7-foot foreign player for RP Nat'l Team - Must be willing to naturalized - Oct 1, 2008 (by Hector Santos)
The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) has given its full support to the proposal to reinforce the national team with a tall foreign player, preferably standing around 7 feet.

PBA chairman Joaqui Trillo and PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios both said yesterday that this step is to support the proposal of national basketball coach Yeng Guiao who said that a tall player is needed so the RP team can be competitive.

The foreign player will then be asked to undergo naturalization, a process which had been used with varying degrees of success by other nations.

'He (Guiao) has our (PBA board) full support. If he wants a 7-footer, well give that to him,' Trillo said during a press conference at the Diamond Hotel in Manila.

Guiao had earlier reiterated his desire to naturalize a foreign player for his team to have a fighting chance to compete against the tall players of other countries.

'We dont know yet the process for naturalization, but all I know is that we must get a big man,' Guiao said.

Using naturalized players is not new, as far as the Philippines is concerned.

In the 80s, when the Philippines campaigned in the Asian circuit, the basketball association not only hired an American coach in the person of Ron Jacobs, but also three Americans who helped the country win the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC).

The Americans did not lose their citizenship and had since returned to their homeland.

In another departure from previous practice, Guiao said he would no longer call for a tryout to select the members of the team, instead he would simply name the members of the pool that will train for next years FIBA-Asia Championship.

'The only thing that would stop me from choosing the players is that if they do not want to adapt to the system,' said the 46-year-old coach of Red Bull, who did not specify the system he planned to use.

'Im very excited to do that (coaching superstar players). We have the best talent in the PBA, theres no question with that. As what the commissioner (Sonny Barrios) said, the sooner, the better (to form the team),' he added.

Guiao said he hopes to have a dialogue first with his prospects before making any decision.

The Red Bull coach has earned a reputation as a miracle worker for transforming the Bulls into a contender despite having no established stars in the lineup.

He has led the Bulls to the semifinal round in the past three seasons using underrated materials. His best player is high-flying guard Cyrus Baguio, one of the young rising stars of the pro league.

But while Guiao can already name the members of the pool, he can only go full swing as far as preparation is concerned only at the end of the season.

The PBA begins with the all-Filipino Philippine Cup on Saturday, while the import-flavored Fiesta Cup is set in March until first week of July. The FIBA-Asia is scheduled in September.

This gives Guiao and his soon-to-be-formed national team three months to prepare and train for the said event, the qualifying meet for the World Championships in 2010 in Turkey.

Three slots would be allotted to the top three finishers in the Asian region for the World Championships.(MB)

a_ron
10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Adam Parada will do...

a_ron
10-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Adam Parada will do...

CrossOver
10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Malaki maitutulong ni Toroman sa pag hahanap na pwedeng ma naturalized player mas bata sana makuha around U20 why? Para maging pamilyar siya sa RP basketball & sa team mate nya sa long term program ng SBP.

zytrexx
10-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Adam Parada will do...

Di na pwede, he already played for the Mexican National Team...

sano99
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Adam parada type of playrer is I think a nice complement to our national team. Young, tall, decent outside shot and can man the post.

2sc1
10-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Eala: It’s time we also
heard the other side

http://www.malaya.com.ph/oct09/spor5.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAMAHANG Basketbol ng Pilipinas Executive Director Noli Eala yesterday welcomed the support given by former national coach Chot Reyes to Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman who has been appointed project director of the cage body.

At the same time, Eala bared other coaches have also voiced their support to the program being undertaken by the SBP, with most of them asking to be included in the coaching staff to be trained by Toroman. Eala identified one of them as Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio.

Reyes, who met Toroman twice during the Serbian mentor’s brief visit here recently, said he believes Toroman will bring something new to the table when he returns here on Oct. 20 to begin his three-year stint with the SBP.

Reyes said he understands the position of the Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines, which has fired repeated salvos at Toroman, saying they are convinced Filipino coaches also have what it takes.

"We are getting support from a lot of other coaches, some of them even members of the BCAP. I think it’s time that we also heard the other side," Eala said, adding Reyes understands the current needs of the SBP since with the organization last year when he coached the national team.

Eala added the SBP’s move hiring Toroman has also sparked interest not only among local coaches but also players based overseas who have expressed interest in becoming the naturalized player the Philippines is looking for.

"There are at least four players who have sent me emails saying they want to be part of the program of Toroman as naturalized players. We will forward the list to Toroman as soon as he arrives so he can evaluate the players. This is a most welcome development," Eala said.

Toroman is set to return on Oct. 20 and will immediately evaluate the talents available for the national youth team, according to Eala. Part of his job is to transfer technology to local coaches, Eala added.

Schortsanitis
10-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Malaki maitutulong ni Toroman sa pag hahanap na pwedeng ma naturalized player mas bata sana makuha around U20 why? Para maging pamilyar siya sa RP basketball & sa team mate nya sa long term program ng SBP.

'Oo nga, ano?' Toroman has vast exposure and experience in international basketball, I am almost sure he knows more than a few good, tall players out there who could be prospects as naturalized players in the RP NT.

pachador
10-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Actually, Serbians as well as Lithuanians are genetically tall. maraming mga higante doon.

Here's where you can find giants:

Africa - Sudan, Nigeria, Tanzania/Kenya, Senegal and other African countries

Europe -Serbia, Lithuania, Netherlands

USA

'Oo nga, ano?' Toroman has vast exposure and experience in international basketball, I am almost sure he knows more than a few good, tall players out there who could be prospects as naturalized players in the RP NT.

thadzonline
10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
go for the Dutch, hanapin niyo anak ni Rik SMits..lol ;D

PilipinasFan
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
do we really need to have a naturalized player on our national team? i dont like this idea because i believe that despite the lack of ceiling of the filipinos, our national team is very much capable of competing and getting at par with any other country., the filipinos' knowledge and passion about the game is what can make us formidable contenders in asia., i believe that it would be better if we would just use the salaries that would be paid to naturalized players for our national team's participation in international tournaments., and if i remember it right, isn't it that we already have greg slaughter and japeth aguillar to make up for our lack of size., both stand 6-11 and are still below 24 years of age

Growling.Fish
10-10-2008, 09:15 PM
^

Money cant buy height. ;D

Perhaps we could ask Mr. Toroman whether Hamed Haddadi has brothers who are willing to play for Pilipinas. :)

PilipinasFan
10-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Imports and naturalization
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
Monday, October 13, 2008
Now that college basketball season is over, many schools are surreptitiously searching for foreign players to shore up their bids for glory in men’s basketball. The exception is fast becoming the trend, particularly given the success of San Beda College in the last three years.

The only restrictions on foreign citizens playing in the major Philippine college leagues are that they pass the entrance test, can only play one at a time (with a maximum of two per team), and must be below 25 years of age. All except the playing time rule are also applicable to local players.

The Philippines is actually at the crossroads of this major development in basketball. On one hand, the country is considering naturalizing at least one seven-foot center for the next Philippine national team. On the other, we are a main source of imports playing in Southeast Asia.

Vietnam is the latest country to pull in talent from the Philippines.

Aside from former Cebuana Lhuillier assistant Ricky Magallanes coaching one major city team, the young men’s team and the national men’s team, the country’s National Basketball Championship has been reported to now allow foreign players like former UST forward Allan Evangelista to reinforce teams in the league. The Vietnam Basketball Federation (VBF) will now allow up to four foreign players per team, and all four may play at any given time.

Vietnam has also said it will not send a team to the coming SEA Games basketball competition, because the talent level remains low, and sponsors have been reluctant to come in.

In January, organizers of the Indonesian Basketball League announced that they would consider letting professional sports promoters run their league, In past tournaments, IBL teams have each had one Filipino import, including the likes of former Ginebra forward Estong Ballesteros and former Perpetual Help Daltas shooter Noy Javier.

Thailand, our perennial rivals in Southeast Asian competition, has already been scouting for taller Thai players around the world. In June, seven-foot Brian Sigafoos, who played for Harvard until 2003, supposedly asked if he could suit up for Thailand. Sigafoos, a veteran of Europe’s pro leagues, was born in Bangkok in 1981. His parents lived there for five years.

Malaysia, once reluctant to engage the services of foreigners, has followed in the footsteps of SIngapore and brought in mainland Chinese to strengthen its men’s basketball team. However, sponsors have been adamant about having only Malay players, so the issue has not fully been settled yet.

There have been unconfirmed reports that at least one university in the Philippines is studying the possibility of having two tall Chinese play for its school, a perennial doormat in their league.

The Philippines may need at least one foreign player at center for its upcoming international campaigns. But since we have been so far ahead of our Southeast Asian counterparts, we haven’t needed to do that at this level. However, our neighbors are now hiring outsiders to get on equal footing with us. It appears that we need foreign talent to go to the next level.

thadzonline
10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
hmmm who could that school with Chinese imports be. I know one who has a 6'9 Malaysian in residency though

D_I_A
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
hmmm who could that school with Chinese imports be. I know one who has a 6'9 Malaysian in residency though

baka ang owner Chinese din .hehe

dioning
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
baka nu

PilipinasFan
10-13-2008, 08:01 PM
just a question., would it be better if we ban foreigners from playing in collegiate leagues? sometimes kc, filipinos are notr given much attention because of their presence.,

CrossOver
10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
just a question., would it be better if we ban foreigners from playing in collegiate leagues? sometimes kc, filipinos are notr given much attention because of their presence.,

Sadly Filipino don't have height kasi even fil-foreign (fil-am, fil-canadian etc.) wala tayong makitang 7 footer so foreign player can fill the filipino lack. If yung mga college team natin ay mag-iimport ng mga higanteng foreigners malaki pa din maitutulong nila sa atin why? now our centers (usually 6'4"-6'6") need to change their position from no. 4, 3 or even 2 spot add pa yung competition kelangan ay handa ang filipino player para sa mga foreigner na to hindi pwede lalambot lambot. Pwede din tayo maka diskubre ng ma nanaturalize na player para sa international competition w/c* Noli & Yeng mentioned.

D_I_A
11-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Philstar Sports
NBA veteran inquires about naturalization
By Joaquin Henson
Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A 7-3 former Los Angeles Clippers center who broke David Robinson’s collegiate record in blocked shots is in the list of foreign players inquiring from the SBP about naturalization to gain eligibility for the Philippine national team.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said the other day Keith Closs has expressed interest in playing as a naturalized citizen after reading of plans to recruit “imports” in the Internet.

Enlisting a single naturalized player for the national team is allowed by FIBA and is now a widely-accepted global practice. Among the players who were naturalized to suit up for national teams were Hakeem Olajuwon (US), Ricky Grace (Australia), J. R. Holden (Russia), J. R. Henderson and Dan Weiss (Japan), Rasheim Wright (Jordan) and Joe Vogel (Lebanon).

Closs, 32, signed an $8.5 million contract to play for the Clippers in 1997 and averaged 3.9 points in 130 games over three years. This past season, he led the NBDL in blocked shots with a 2.8 clip in 49 games for the Tulsa 66ers.

In 1995-96, Closs was the NCAA Division I’s top shot blocker with a 6.4 average, eclipsing Robinson’s record of 5.9. In only two years at Central Connecticut State, Closs set a new NCAA mark in career blocked shots with a 5.9 norm, shattering Robinson’s record of 5.2.

Los Angeles Lakers legend Jerry West described Closs as “an instinctive shot blocker (who) also runs the floor well and has great hands and great feet.”

Closs was recently in China on a playing tour with the Santa Barbara Breakers of the West Coast Pro Basketball League. The oldest of six children, Closs is a former Harlem Globetrotter.

Eala named two other foreign cagers who contacted the SBP about the possibility of naturalization. They were 6-9 Gentry Lewis of Delta State and 7-foot Deng D’Awol of Wayland Baptist.

Lewis, 27, has played as an import in Poland, Turkey, Montenegro, Italy, Norway, Slovenia, Syria and Saudi Arabia. This year, he averaged 23 points and 15 rebounds for Al Nahda in the Saudi Arabian league.

D’Awol, 31, saw action for Al Wakrah in Qatar, averaging 14 points and 12 rebounds this past season. He was born in Sudan and now lives in New York.

Eala said the SBP is open to recruiting a foreigner as a naturalized player but left it up to newly appointed national coaching consultant Rajko Toroman of Serbia to decide on the matter.

“If we get a naturalized player, he should be around 26 or 27 so he could be at his peak for the 2012 London Olympics,” said Eala. “He would be an experienced player who can grow with the team, someone who can work with coach Toroman. We want a team player, not necessarily a great individual player – maybe a European who is familiar with the FIBA game.”

If a foreign player applies for naturalization, he will undergo the necessary process to acquire Filipino citizenship. In Russia, President Vladimir Putin personally signed the naturalization papers of Holden, an American, to make him eligible for the national team in the European Championships and the recent Olympics.

Toroman is forming the Philippine team that will wear the national colors in the SEABA Championships next May. Toroman’s squad is distinct from the PBA all-star selection being formed by Yeng Guiao for the FIBA-Asia Championships in Yangzhou, China, in August.

Toroman has invited 38 collegiate and high school players to try out for the national team starting next Monday. A three-day camp will be held to trim the candidates list to 18. Chot Reyes, Norman Black, Eric Altamirano and Allan Gregorio were among the local coaches invited to help out Toroman.

Ateneo’s Chris Tiu and La Salle’s Rico Maierhofer are expected to head the cast for the tryouts. Others joining the camp include 6-11 Greg Slaughter from Cebu, Ateneo’s Rabeh Al Hussaini, Jonathan Pareno, San Beda’s Sam Ekwe, 5-11 Joey Deas of Rockhurst University in Kansas City and 6-7 Terrell Theophile of St. Gregory’s University in Oklahoma.

Eala said he contacted ex-PBA import Bobby Parks about the availability of his 16-year-old, 6-4 Fil-Am son Ray, now playing in Memphis. He said another prospect is 6-6 Fil-Italian forward Nico Monacini.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sana mas bata at mga 3 ang i-naturalized.

isa para sa PBA-backed National team and 2 para sa RP Men's Cadet and Youth Team na handle ng SBP.

thadzonline
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Keith Closs will be too old for 2012 so is with D'Awol. Gentry is 6-9 but if he plays bigger than his size, maybe we can consider, because between a 6-9 and 7-footer with a similar game and character, I'll go for the taller one..tell me someone who wouldn't ;D

The_Big_Cat
11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
^Among the three prospects for naturalization in that article, I would go for the younger one, 27 year old and 6'9 Gentry Lewis.

Mapapakinabangan mo pa yan for at least 6 more years.

thadzonline
11-06-2008, 09:28 AM
yup mas promising nga si Gentry but I believe we should go for a taller guy, yung 6'9 kasi sa internationals parang 3 or 4 lang yung laro niyan

chinito_guy
11-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Sana nga makahanap na tayo ng mga 7 footer na mainanaturalized! the sooner the better for the RP-squad. 8)

yungha
11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
one guy who can really help out would be coach eric spoelstra of the miami heat. he's wired into the nba personnel scene, i'm sure he knows of some NBA journeymen who're looking for some stability in their careers. he might know of some free agent big men or international prospects who'll jump at the opportunity of steady employment for the next 4 years. and i'm sure spoelstra's patriotic enough not to recommend lemons.

CrossOver
11-19-2008, 12:28 AM
By Abac Cordero

http://www.philstar.com/newphilstar/www/image/20081119/spo11.jpg

A 6-foot-10, 260-pound center that once shattered a backboard with a monstrous dunk is being considered by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas for naturalization.

Noli Eala, SBP executive director, said he has already communicated with Terrence Gamble, a product of the Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas recently.

“I sent him an e-mail two weeks ago and he already responded by asking about our offer. But we couldn’t make any until we see him in action or we get a commitment,” Eala said.

“First, is he willing to be naturalized? And will he be available to us for the next three to four years? Because if he gets naturalized, he’d be the staple of our team and he should be in each tournament we compete in.”

The SBP headed by Manny V. Pangilinan is forming a young, talented team that will carry the fight for the Philippines in future international competitions, the major goal being the 2012 London Olympics

Gamble averaged 9.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game in two seasons for the Tarleton Texans, and in his last year led the team to a 25-7 record and a slot to the NCAA Division II South Central finals.

But just recently, he signed up with the Santos Reales de San Luis in the Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional (LNBP) in Mexico, and has led his new team to a 2-0 record.

He became the 19th player out of Tarleton to play professionally.

The LNBP is the top pro league in Latin America, one where former NBA players like Jamario Moon (Toronto), Horacio Llamas (Phoenix), Carlos Arroyo (Detroit) and Dennis Rodman (Chicago) have played.

In his first practice session with Santos Reales, Gamble shattered the backboard as he quickly made his presence felt. A report said “the board came down quickly into pieces” after Gamble slammed the ball into the hoop.

Eala said the SBP is serious in pursuing Gamble and in fact he said they already have an idea “how much to spend or how much it would take to buy his contract out of the LNBP.”

Eala did not say how much they could offer a player for naturalization.

Eala said there are three ways to naturalize a player – administrative, judicial and legislative. But since the first two options require a 10-year residency, then the third one is the only option left.

“The only track we can follow now is the legislative – a legislative act meaning that it must be sponsored. If we find somebody only then that we will ask for a sponsor

I told coach (Rajko) Toroman to find somebody to naturalize by the first quarter of next year so that we can begin the process and by the Asian Games in 2010 he’d be naturalized,” Eala added.

In case the gamble on Gamble doesn’t pay off, Eala said they’re still tracking down a few more players. Helping them out is Jim Kelley who was tapped as SBP’s international scouting director.

Caloy Allado will cover the scoring in the West Coast in the US while Larry Albano will take care of the East Coast and Canada.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=416686&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

gameface_one
11-19-2008, 07:17 AM
SBP has eyes on two foreigners

By Wayon Galvez
mb.com.ph

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) has started assessing prospective foreign players who may be granted citizenship to reinforce a Philippine basketball team for international competitions.

The team will be under the supervision of Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman who has been hired to develop an RP team that can match up to the best in Asia and maybe get a team ready for the 2012 London Olympics, should the country be lucky to qualify.

The Olympic qualifying is the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship and the SBP already informed the world governing body FIBA of its intention to host the event.

SBP Executive Director Noli Eala said yesterday that they are now looking at two candidates for naturalization.

"Actually we’re tracking two players who are high on the list," Eala said.

Eala said that he already has spoken with one of the prospects, Terrence Gamble, a 6-foot-11, 260-pound center who played college ball at the Tarleton State University in Texas. He is set to play with the Bakersfield Jam in the NBA Development League (D-League).

"We’ve talked to him (Gamble), but nothing’s definite," Eala said. "He’s up for evaluation by Jim Kelly and coach Toroman."

According to Eala, Kelly, despite his current position as the Senior Director for Player Personnel of the Toronto Raptors in the NBA, has been helping the SBP find prospects for naturalization and Fil-Ams.

Kelly, together with Caloy Allado, the US-based father of PBA player Don, and Larry Albano are helping the federation find players, either for naturalization or Fil-Am aspirants for the national team.

Eala said that the SBP plans to conduct a tryout in key areas in the United States like Detroit, Chicago or Las Vegas on Easter Sunday weekend next year.

The SBP has also invited Rey Parks, the son of former PBA seven-time best import winner Bobby Parks, to tryout for the national team.

The 15-year-old Parks, who is 6-foot-4, currently plays high school basketball at the Ridgeway Middle School in Memphis.

Other US-based players invited by the SBP are 6-foot-7 Gain Chiu (Oberlin College) and 6-foot-9 Japeth Aguilar (Western Kentucky University).

D_I_A
11-19-2008, 11:32 AM
SBP eyes Gamble, Parks’ son

By June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:45:00 11/19/2008

MANILA, Philippines—A 6-foot-11 center and a youthful all-around player from the United States have expressed willingness to don the national colors for future international competitions.

Terence Gamble, who manned the paint for Tarleton State University, and 15-year-old Ray Parks, son of seven-time PBA best import Bobby Parks, head the list of candidates being looked into by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas to reinforce the Philippine men’s team.

According to SBP executive director Noli Eala, the 25-year-old Gamble showed great interest in playing for the national team being formed by SBP project director Rajko Toroman for the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship.

Eala said former Ateneo de Manila University center Japeth Aguilar also gave his commitment but the 6-foot-9 pivotman out of West Kentucky University would be available in March at the earliest.

CrossOver
11-20-2008, 12:19 AM
By Joaquin Henson

If the PBA allowed each team to recruit a naturalized player, it would be easier to select a foreign cager for the national squad but the pro league may not likely subscribe to the concept mentioned by SBP executive director Noli Eala.

More wishful thinking than pushing the idea, Eala said recently choosing a foreign reinforcement for the national team would be facilitated if the PBA opened its doors to naturalized players.

“If the PBA allowed each franchise a naturalized player, there would be a pool of 10 foreigners to choose from for the national team,” said Eala.

A PBA source, however, said while the concept is exciting, it will be costly and the public may not accept the idea of players applying for wholesale naturalization.

The PBA could also be a perfect training ground for stratospheric foreign players applying for naturalization except that in the coming Fiesta Conference, the limit for imports is 6-6. Last season, there was no height limit for imports.

Even as more and more foreign players are expressing interest to naturalize, Eala said it will take at least a year before the process of adopting a new citizenship is completed under Philippine laws.

Eala said if a foreign player is chosen early next year, the procedure for naturalization will allow him to suit up for the national team only in time for the Asian Games in 2010.

NBA veteran Keith Closs, 32, heads the list of foreigners inquiring about naturalization to gain eligibility for the Philippine team. The 7-3 center’s agent is Jerome Henderson, a former PBA import with Tanduay. Also expressing interest were 7-0 Deng D’Awol of Nigeria and 6-9 Gentry Lewis of Delta State.

The latest to send an inquiry was 6-11 Terrence Gamble of Tarleton State. In 2006, Gamble led the varsity Texans to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division II tournament. He is now playing as an import in the Mexican league.

Eala said age is a critical factor in deciding which foreign player to tap. Gamble, 25, has the edge in this department because if ever the national team qualifies for the 2012 London Olympics, he’ll only be 29.

“We are not looking to short-cut the process,” said Eala. “We’ll abide by whatever is the law. Our lawyers are now looking into the steps to take. We estimate at least a year before a player is naturalized through the legislative process.”

During President Marcos’ administration, naturalization by executive decree was practiced. Two naturalized players Dennis Still and Jeff Moore suited up for the Philippine team that won the Asian Basketball Confederation (now FIBA-Asia) title in 1985. A third player Chip Engelland would’ve been eligible for the national squad in 1987 in line with the FIBA rule of three-year residency.

Naturalization by presidential decree was the same process that allowed American J. R. Holden to play for Russia in the last European Championships and Olympics. Russian president Vladimir Putin himself signed Holden’s naturalization papers.

Today, FIBA grants immediate eligibility to naturalized players but restricts a national team to only one foreigner unlike in 1985 when the limit was two.

PBA national coach Yeng Guiao said he is open to recruiting a naturalized player and even suggested bringing in two in case one gets injured. But the process of naturalization will not allow Guiao to use a foreign player for the SEABA Championships next May and the FIBA-Asia Championships in Yangzhou, China, next August.

Eala said the top two finishers of the SEABA Championships will represent the Southeast Asia sub-zone in the FIBA-Asia Championships.

Eala said Serbian coach Rajko Toroman’s developmental national team will represent the country at the Southeast Asian Games in Laos next year. The team is distinct from Guiao’s PBA selection that will play in the SEABA and FIBA-Asia Championships.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=416935&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

thadzonline
11-20-2008, 11:37 AM
A PBA source, however, said while the concept is exciting, it will be costly and the public may not accept the idea of players applying for wholesale naturalization.

double standard ng PBA...andyan na nga sila Taulava, Peña, Pennisi, Crisano, Seigle, Reavis, Norwood, etc. Those guys can already be well considered as naturalized players kasi hindi naman sila natural-born Filipinos if you look at our constitution eh, lalo na yang Taulava and Crisano

danny
11-21-2008, 04:12 AM
^^^

Positions change depending on the issue, depending on their respective self-interests. And too few seem to notice. ;D

joelex
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
pennisi kamo

thadzonline
11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
@danny

you are right, self-interests sometimes(most of the time?) cloud our judgment. Hypocrisy at best

thadzonline
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
ito sayang, 6'8 Fil-German pero nakapaglaro na for Germany:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/frontiertrainings/basketball/standhardinger.jpg

Christian Standhardinger. Watch out for him though in the NCAA. I think he'll be playing alongside fellow German Christopher Niemann at Nebraska

aarreza
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
ito sayang, 6'8 Fil-German pero nakapaglaro na for Germany:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/frontiertrainings/basketball/standhardinger.jpg

Christian Standhardinger. Watch out for him though in the NCAA. I think he'll be playing alongside fellow German Christopher Niemann at Nebraska

Sayang talaga :(... played na for the German Youth Team... currently averaging 22 pts, 9 rebs, 2 ast and 2 stls a game in 11 games in the German Pro-B League (I think this is the equivalent of the PBL) with a high of 41 pts... has committed to play for Nebraska in the US NCAA although might be required to sit out a year due to the semi-pro nature of the German Pro-B League...

korn666333
12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
fil-german?
aw bat ngayon pa nakita yan. sayang naman. kuha pa yan.

st_ang3r
12-11-2008, 07:56 PM
sa germany niya gusto maglaro. ayaw niya sa RP. so hayaan na natin. mas gugustuhin ko pa foreigner na gusto maglaro sa RP kesa mamilit ng tulad niya. and besides times 4 or times 5 na makukuha niya na sahod sa germany kesa sa max players ng pba

pachador
12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
yep, lets respect the decision of the kid. ok lang , anyway, umuulan na na tayo sa mga fil-fors lugi pa nga mga ibang country sa atin sa aspetong iyan. yan ang advantage ng OFWs at globalization ng pilipinas.

sa germany niya gusto maglaro. ayaw niya sa RP. so hayaan na natin. mas gugustuhin ko pa foreigner na gusto maglaro sa RP kesa mamilit ng tulad niya. and besides times 4 or times 5 na makukuha niya na sahod sa germany kesa sa max players ng pba

Joescoundrel
12-12-2008, 12:36 PM
If we were to naturalize anybody let us not fool ourselves into thinking there won't be any money involved. In the open era that now allows professionals we should be ready to pay up. Seeing as how PLDT / SBP is far from being a pauper organization we should be ready to make an offer that is competitive with any pro league offer.

We should be looking at someone at least 7-feet tall and in the neighborhood of 245 to 255 pounds minimum. He needs to be able to play both post positions at the 4 and 5, if he can do the 3 that's just a bonus. He also needs to be a decent freethrow shooter, at least three for four, although four for five would be better. And he should not be bashful about banging inside. He should also be no older than 26 years of age in 2012, so that he won't be older than 30 by 2016. This kind of size and talent is easily worth at least $3.5 to 4 million a year. That shouldn't be too difficult to raise for a company that grosses close to $5 million PER DAY on text messaging alone.

Let us not go after guys who are being lured by the NBA, so the likes of Greg Oden and Brook Lopez are obviously out. Let's look for guys who are from the mid-major programs, from the Drexel and Davidson and Xavier type schools that produce near-NBA quality players every couple of years. Essentially we should look at bigger and more athletic versions of Asi Taulava at the very least. PERHAPS the best we could hope for would be the Roy Hibbert types out of Georgetown, or Alexander Khoul types out of Washington.

D_I_A
12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
di natin nakita agad itong batang ito ha? sayang..

typhoidterry
12-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I think there is a FIBA rule that once you play for the National Team of a particular country, di ka na pwede maglaro sa ibang country wheter Fil-am, Fil-chi or Fil-germ. Please check

Joescoundrel
12-13-2008, 08:37 AM
^ This is true. Even if you switch citizenship you can no longer play for your new country.

john_paul_manahan
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
pretty much a big man with a sweet shooting touch and can play the low post and be our big man. parang andris biedrins (but i dont want his free throw shooting prowess)

dioning
12-13-2008, 12:50 PM
kung youth team lang siya ng germany naglaro, baka puede pa siya makalaro sa national team ng pilipinas
ang limitation yata ay if you played for the regular national team
baka yung rule does not extend to the youth team
hopefully yung limitation sa fiba rules extend only to playing in the regular national team

thadzonline
12-13-2008, 02:17 PM
it does, hindi na eligible si Standhardinger. Besides he is also in the German NT pool so malabo. And he also said he'd rather play for Germany. Being a German, they are not allowed to hold dual citizenships according to his sister Kristin kaya malamang na denounce na niya Filipino citizenship niya

thadzonline
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
^ This is true. Even if you switch citizenship you can no longer play for your new country.

There's actually a FIBA provision saying na pwede as long as he was not yet 17 when he played for another country. The other exception is if both national federations involved agree that the player switches sides and that his transfer will actually have a big effect on the development of basketball in the country he transfers to. I think that can be fund sa H2.3.4 sa FIBA regulations

thadzonline
12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
dude, thsi thread is about naturalized players or mixed-race players for th Philippine team

tomcat
12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Ray Parks Attends St. George's High School, son of Philippine Basketball Association seven-time Best Import Bobby Parks, will be staying in the Philippines for a week to attend the national developmental pool that will serve as training ground for players who will play for the 2012 London Olympics.

The six-foot-three Parks, 15, is set to arrive on December 27 and try out for the under-16 squad to be handled by newly installed mentor Eric Altamirano

nardy
12-16-2008, 04:48 PM
We would again call on the Fil-Foreign players based in North America to take note of the announcement below.* *For the other Forumers who have contacts in North America who are talented basketball players who are worth considering, do appreciate you relay to them the info below.

A letter from Mr. Caloy Allado:

Sir:

We are writing you in behalf of the BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Inc., the governing basketball body of the Philippines. The BAP-SBP has embarked on a program for the next four years to regain our basketball supremacy in Asia.

As a result, we are staging a Fil-Am All Star camp scheduled sometime in April 2009 to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada. We will be having two categories:

a. Senior Level (19-26 yrs old with college ball experience)

b. Junior Level (15-18 yrs old with high school ball experience)

The final number of teams will be determined on the number of players that will be nominated.

The purpose of the Fil-Am camp is to identify potential members for the Philippine national team that will compete in the Asian Games in 2010, Qualifiying Tournament leading to 2012 London Olympics and other international tournaments in the next four years. The national coach and his staff will be present in the camp.

We would appreciate your assistance in spreading the news to your members/players and hopefully you could nominate players to this camp.

For further information, please call or email me.

Sincerely,

Caloy Allado
USA Regional Director, BAP-SBP
13103 Barbara Ann St. Ste 23
North Hollywood CA 91605-4612
Cellphone No.: +1 (818) 387-5576* or +1 (818) 764-6112* * * *
Email: hallado@aol.com

D_I_A
12-16-2008, 11:39 PM
We would again call on the Fil-Foreign players based in North America to take note of the announcement below.* *For the other Forumers who have contacts in North America who are talented basketball players who are worth considering, do appreciate you relay to them the info below.

A letter from Mr. Caloy Allado:

Sir:

We are writing you in behalf of the BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Inc., the governing basketball body of the Philippines. The BAP-SBP has embarked on a program for the next four years to regain our basketball supremacy in Asia.

As a result, we are staging a Fil-Am All Star camp scheduled sometime in April 2009 to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada. We will be having two categories:

The final number of teams will be determined on the number of players that will be nominated.

The purpose of the Fil-Am camp is to identify potential members for the Philippine national team that will compete in the Asian Games in 2010, Qualifiying Tournament leading to 2012 London Olympics and other international tournaments in the next four years. The national coach and his staff will be present in the camp.

We would appreciate your assistance in spreading the news to your members/players and hopefully you could nominate players to this camp.

For further information, please call or email me.

Sincerely,

Caloy Allado
USA Regional Director, BAP-SBP
13103 Barbara Ann St. Ste 23
North Hollywood CA 91605-4612
Cellphone No.: +1 (818) 387-5576* or +1 (818) 764-6112* * * *
Email: hallado@aol.com

meron bang ganito ang BAP? ;)

CrossOver
01-08-2009, 11:23 PM
By Joel Orellana

THE Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) is dead serious in having a naturalized player on the national team. But its hands are full—overflowing, in fact—because of the considerably heavy influx of aspirants.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said on Thursday his office has received numerous applicants from all over the world which is giving SBP’s chief scouting director Jim Kelly and project director Rajko Toroman a difficult time in picking the right prospect.

“We just want to make sure that the player we will be picking is the best among all the applicants,” Eala said. “We have so many choices, but Jim and coach Rajko have yet to make their choice. We’re really having difficulty, and we’re trying to be careful because the future of the team is at stake.”

Among the early applicants are seven-footer Deng d’ Awol of Wayland Baptist, six-foot-11 Terrence Gamble of Tarleton State University, six-foot-nine Gentry Lewis and seven-foot-three Keith Closs, the 32-year-old lanky American center who played for the Los Angeles Clippers in 1997, where he averaged 3.9 points in 130 games in his National Basketball Association career.

Eala said Closs could have been a perfect choice but the former NBA campaigner is too old and he doesn’t fit the long-term plan of the SBP.

“Unfortunately, Dikembe [Mutombo] is already too old,” Eala said, referring to the 42-year-old Mutombo, who was resigned by the Houston Rockets recently. “And just like Closs, if Dikembe only has fresher set of legs, I would hire him in an instant. We have a long-term goal here and we need a younger guy to do the job.”

Toroman, the Serbian who helped Iran to its first Olympics stint in Beijing last year, is eyeing a player in the mold of Jeff Moore, Chip Engelland or Dennis Steele who all played in the Northern Consolidated Cement squad of former Ambassador Danding Cojuangco Jr. in the 1980s.

Toroman felt that offense won’t be a big problem for the Philippine team because Filipinos are “good scorers.” The naturalized player, he said, should control the boards and provide defensive hustle inside the shaded lane.

“He should be a big, strong guy who could help our shooters nail their baskets. He may not be an NBA-caliber player but, at least, he should get the job done. And, so far, we haven’t seen him yet,” said Toroman.

The SBP set its own criteria for the naturalized player—that he should be at least below 28 years old, stands over six-foot-nine and should posses a dominating presence inside the paint.

The “import” may also not have an above-average shooting touch, but he should help in pulling down rebounds and shutting the big men of the opposing team, Toroman added.

Kelly, who used to be a scout of the Toronto Raptors, and Toroman are not particular about the nationality of the player for as long as he would “fit perfectly into the system.”*

Eala said they are giving themselves until April to make a choice.

Business Mirror (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4313:basketball-body-has-hands-full-in-choosing-naturalized-player&catid=31:sports&Itemid=65)

D_I_A
02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Ex-Warrior to play for RP 5?
By Joaquin Henson Updated February 01, 2009 12:00 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=436412&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Former Golden State Warriors forward Chris Taft is applying to join the Philippine team as a naturalized player and SBP executive director Noli Eala said yesterday the 6-10, 260-pound New Yorker might plane in for exhibition games against the Puerto Rican league champion Capitanes de Arecibo here late next month.

Taft, 23, was highly recommended to Eala by Toronto Raptors director of player personnel Jim Kelly, a former PBA coaching consultant with Great Taste.

“I am now in contact with Taft’s agent,” said Eala. “Taft is willing to apply for naturalization. We’re looking for a long-term commitment of at least three years up to the 2012 London Olympics. According to Jim, Taft is a low post player, can defend and can run the floor. He came out of college early to play in the NBA but wasn’t ready. Now that he has matured, Jim thinks he’s ready for the international game.”

Based on Kelly’s scouting report, Eala said Taft is at the top of the applicants’ list. Others expressing interest to play for the Philippine squad were 7-3 former Los Angeles Clippers center Keith Closs, 6-9 Gentry Lewis of Delta State, 7-foot Deng D’Awol of Wayland Baptist and two unnamed Serbian centers.

“Taft’s age is perfect for our requirements,” said Eala. “He’s single. He has no attachments and he’s willing to relocate. We’ll try to bring him in for the Capitanes series if it pushes through.”

Capitanes is the reigning Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN) titleholder. BSN is the Puerto Rico premier basketball league. Capitanes beat Gigantes de Carolina, 99-94, in Game 7 of the BSN finals to win the title last season. The team is based in Arecibo, 50 miles west of San Juan on the north coast of Puerto Rico. It was formed in 1946 and has won three BSN crowns in 1959, 2005 and 2008.

Eala said he is proposing a four-game series with Capitanes starting Feb. 21 but team coordinator Ray Caban is requesting to advance it to Feb. 8. The plan is for Capitanes to play two games against the PBA selection coached by Yeng Guiao and two games against the national developmental squad of Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

A four-team “pocket” tournament is also a possibility but Eala said no reply has been received from the Lebanese club Sporting Al Riyadi Beirut where Fadi El-Khatib plays. Sporting Al Riyadi Beirut is reportedly in turmoil with players protesting delayed payment of salaries and bonuses. El-Khatib, who is leading the protest, has been banned two years from playing for Beirut. The Singapore Slingers were earlier invited to play in the tournament with Capitanes, Guiao’s team and Toroman’s squad but owner Bob Turner begged off as most of the players are now on leave.

Capitanes’ request to advance the first game to Feb. 8 will be in conflict with the PBA finals schedule as national players Willie Miller, Ranidel de Ocampo, Jared Dillinger and Sonny Thoss are playing in the title series. A possible Game 6 will be played on Feb. 8.

“Coach Rajko is looking forward to playing Capitanes,” said Eala. “For sure, Coach Yeng also welcomes the opportunity to get in some games. Puerto Rico is ranked No. 11 in the world and Capitanes is the top Puerto Rican team. There are at least five national players and two foreigners in Capitanes’ lineup. We expect a highly competitive series.”

Capitanes is led by 6-5 Angel (Buster) Figueroa who compiled 33 points and 21 rebounds in the BSN title clincher last season. Others in the lineup are 6-9 Angel Rosa of Brescia College (Kentucky), 6-5 David Ruiz of Venezuela, 6-1 Eddin (Guayito) Santiago of Missouri Southern, 6-4 Edgardo Ramirez, 6-9 Jeff Aubry of Cornell University, 6-10 Ricardo Osiris of Missouri Southern, 6-2 Rafael Cruz of Youngstown State, 7-1 Raul Rivera and 6-1 Wilfredo Pagan. Former PBA imports Lamont Strothers and Tyrone Washington used to play for Capitanes.

Taft averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and four blocked shots as a senior at Xaverian Prep, the same high school that former NBA star Chris Mullin attended, in Brooklyn in 2003. He is one of only eight cagers in University of Pittsburgh history to collect over 100 career blocked shots despite just two years with the varsity. Taft started in 53 of 65 games at Pittsburgh, averaging 12 points and 7.5 rebounds. He was Golden State’s second round draft pick in 2005. His salary with the Warriors was $664,209 in 2006-07. Last season, Taft was signed by the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in the NBDL.

danny
02-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Anong bandila ba ang nasa puso ng mga yan?

Gusto kong marinig ang opinyon ng mga "makabayan". Diskusyon lang dahil wala akong problema sa planong ito.

Ang "makabayang opinyon" ang gusto kong malaman.

aircanda
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Hinde ba nakakahiya na ang masyadong foreign sounding names sa Team naten? Helterbrand, Norwood, Williams, Miller..

Kaya kung ako ang masusunod.. wag na tayo sa naturalization. Itatak na lang naten na ang panalo ng mga teams tulad ng Qatar at ibang mga bansa na may import na hilaw ang panalo nila ;)

JonarSabilano
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Hinde ba nakakahiya na ang masyadong foreign sounding names sa Team naten? Helterbrand, Norwood, Williams, Miller..

Kaya kung ako ang masusunod.. wag na tayo sa naturalization. Itatak na lang naten na ang panalo ng mga teams tulad ng Qatar at ibang mga bansa na may import na hilaw ang panalo nila* ;)

Tanong: Nahihiya ba ang mga taga-Argentina na hindi "Kastila" ang apelyido ng mga manlalaro nila katulad nina Nocioni, Herrmann, Ginobili, Scola? Paano naman ang mga Filipinong may apelyidong "Kastila", katulad ng mga "Aguilar" o "Ballesteros", o "Tsino", tulad ng "Tiu", "Chiu", "Chan"?

Tandaan natin: Ang pagiging Filipino ay hindi nasusukat sa pamamagitan ng pangalang dala. Kung ganoon lamang ang batayan natin ay puro mga lumad na lamang ang matitirang "tunay" na Filipino.

thadzonline
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
aircanda, ok lang sana kung legit yung mga nabanggit na foreign-sounding names..pero I personally feel may mangilan-ngilan na hindi.

aircanda
02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Kaya kung ako ang masusunod.. wag na tayo sa naturalization. Itatak na lang naten na ang panalo ng mga teams tulad ng Qatar at ibang mga bansa na may import na hilaw ang panalo nila ;)

Tanong: Nahihiya ba ang mga taga-Argentina na hindi "Kastila" ang apelyido ng mga manlalaro nila katulad nina Nocioni, Herrmann, Ginobili, Scola? Paano naman ang mga Filipinong may apelyidong "Kastila", katulad ng mga "Aguilar" o "Ballesteros", o "Tsino", tulad ng "Tiu", "Chiu", "Chan"?

Tandaan natin: Ang pagiging Filipino ay hindi nasusukat sa pamamagitan ng pangalang dala. Kung ganoon lamang ang batayan natin ay puro mga lumad na lamang ang matitirang "tunay" na Filipino.

I agree with you sir, ang aken lamang.. wag na sana tayo kumuha pa ng mga player na hinde naten kalahi. Siguro ang tama lamang ay siguraduhin na ang Fil-Foreigner na yan ay legit. Sigurado ako na ang mga player na sinabe ko na kahit foreign sounding names eh lumalaban para sa bayan. Kikilabutan yan pag nakarinig ng Lupang Hinirang. Eh kung kumuha tayong dayuhan? Naglalaro siya para lamang sa pera?

aircanda, ok lang sana kung legit yung mga nabanggit na foreign-sounding names..pero I personally feel may mangilan-ngilan na hindi.

wala akong problema sa mga Fil-foreigners sir thadz, at mag-aagree ka na dun lamang din ako sa mga fil-foreigner na lehitimo.. at hindi fil-sham.. sa bagay lamang na yan at sa naturalization ako hinde sang-ayon..

nardy
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
We are writing you in behalf of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Inc., the governing basketball body of the Philippines. The SBP has embarked on a program for the next four years to regain our basketball supremacy in Asia.

As a result, we are staging a Fil-Am All Star camp scheduled sometime in May 2-3 2009 to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada. We will be having two categories:

Do send personal biodata with contact information/references, basketball profile including official career statistics and photos of the players you are recommending plus any available videos (online link or file attachment) of their games and for further information, please email Noli Eala <n_eala@yahoo.com>.

thadzonline
11-24-2009, 01:20 PM
here's a list I compiled:

PG 6'0" Xavier Chargois(Shorter)
G 5'11" AJ Mandani(Missouri S&T)
PG 5'9" Clint Villardo(William Penn)
PG 5'5" Josh Noriega(Cosumnes River College)
F 6'3" Vaughn Canta(Cosumnes River College)
G 6'2" Troy Canalin(Cosumnes River College)
G 5'8" Thomas Galliguez(John Brown)
G 5'8" Abel Galliguez(John Brown)
G 6'0" Patrick Fridley(Schreiner)
F 6'0" Kyle Dela Merced(St. Andrew's Presbyterian)
F 6'4" Walter Small(San Diego State)
G 6'4" Quinn Cannington(Tennessee)

digitalsuperman
11-24-2009, 09:11 PM
teka. si gian chiu ba ay sasali sa gilas? wala na akong masyadong balita sa kanya ah..ang pagkaka alam ko matangkad din yung batang yun..

D_I_A
11-25-2009, 01:54 AM
teka. si gian chiu ba ay sasali sa gilas? wala na akong masyadong balita sa kanya ah..ang pagkaka alam ko matangkad din yung batang yun..

nasa oberlin college, gusto na lang atang mag-doctor..

digitalsuperman
11-25-2009, 06:24 AM
wala ba syang planong sumali sa gilas? sayang naman.

thadzonline
11-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I think while Gian is in school for now, he can't be out to join the NT for a long time. That's the same case as Bobby Parks and all the others who are in a US school too.

TruVerde
02-06-2010, 02:31 PM
why is it that smart gilas is having a hard time in getting naturalized xagers? first, it was cj giles, then jamaal sampson, then this third guy. am just wnodering why is this is so? in the ncc days, naturalized cagers are a plenty. it gives the impression of the kind of program smart gilas is. it seems it is poorly managed.

and now, this tnt/mvp walkout. is this the basketbal program that we have. is mvp. after this classless act, still deserves to be the sbp top honcho? should we now trust this kind of person to handle, managed our national basketball program?

mvp is no ecj!!!!

thadzonline
02-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I think we're jumping to conclusions here. Relax man. Surely Gilas has had more success as a national team(and better preparation too) compared to the more recent selections the old org has come up with.

nardy
02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
why is it that smart gilas is having a hard time in getting naturalized xagers? first, it was cj giles, then jamaal sampson, then this third guy. am just wnodering why is this is so? in the ncc days, naturalized cagers are a plenty. it gives the impression of the kind of program smart gilas is. it seems it is poorly managed.

and now, this tnt/mvp walkout. is this the basketbal program that we have. is mvp. after this classless act, still deserves to be the sbp top honcho? should we now trust this kind of person to handle, managed our national basketball program?

mvp is no ecj!!!!

its because basketball is more popular these days worldwide than in the past and we have to admit a lot more countries have a lot more funds than the Philippines. It is known players of unlimited height are not many and by the law of supply and demand .... they are rather expensive especially if you are looking for a quality player.

ok but it is unfair to compare mvp to ecj as during the ncc times with marcos in power nobody dares question ecj.

san miguel sponsored the 2007 team, tell me why did they discontinue it when for sometime the 2009 team was looking for a sponsor until Coke's POWERADE said yes. ecj could have easily said yes but he did not.

coreytaylor
02-07-2010, 09:25 PM

mvp is no ecj!!!!

wow oh wow. just because of the tnt incident, you started to nail mvp to the cross and think he's not worthy of managing the national team. ::)

poor you for being a crab. hahaha

oca
02-08-2010, 09:14 PM

mvp is no ecj!!!!

Ano ba ginawa ni ecj nung panahon na siya ang bossing?

Bumuo siya ng isang NT na may mahigit 12 Amerikano! Sa mahigit labing-dalawang iyon, si Ricardo Brown lang ang may dugong Pinoy pero lahat ay nabigyan ng Philippine passport by virtue of Presidential Decree! Yung koponan na iyon ang siyang unang nagpanalo ng kampeonato para sa Pilipinas sa Jones Cup nung 1981.

At sa mahigit na labing-dawalang iyon, 3 ang alam nating nanatili sa NT, Dennis Still, Jeff Moore at Chip Engelland. Si Quick Brown Fox ay di nagtagal sa NT at tumungo na sa PBA.

Kung babalikan mo ang panahon na iyon, binaboy muna ni ecj ang NT team natin bago nakakuha ng dayuhang magpapalakas ng NT natin.

Tama ka, "mvp is no ecj".

Joescoundrel
02-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Why is former PBA Best Import Chris Alexander not being considered? He's legitimately 7'1", has some moves, great timing on the blocks, strong rebounder, knows how to defend the lane going box to box. And surely he already knows how to play with Filipinos.

Jeep
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
mga katoto, makabanat lang yang truverde sa atenista, kahit wala sa lugar... ;)

back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

richchard28
02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Reliability is key
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson
The Philippine Star Updated February 25, 2010 12:00 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=552804&publicationSubCategoryId=69

According to SBP executive director Noli Eala, the perfect naturalization candidate for the Smart-Gilas national basketball team is an “import” who can defend the post, rebound and score but most importantly, someone who is reliable and willing to play hard within coach Rajko Toroman’s system.

“With an import, there’s no doubt in my mind we would’ve won the championship in the recent Dubai Invitationals,” said Eala, referring to the tournament where Smart-Gilas finished third despite playing most of the way without Jamal Sampson.

“It’s too bad about Jamal. There was never anything personal between Jamal and me or Rajko. In fact, we had long discussions in trying to work things out. The issue wasn’t about his talent because he certainly is a talented player. The issue was about reliability. He was just always injured. He was down with a headache, a backache, a stomach ache or pain in the knees or the back. We never knew if he was ready to play. In a program like ours, our guys have to be ready to play when the time comes. We only get one shot to advance in a FIBA-style competition. It’s difficult to live with a situation where we couldn’t be sure of Jamal’s condition.”

Eala said Sampson’s gripes about the team were baseless.

“I’d rather not comment on his allegations which are all false because I really don’t want to dignify his claims,” said Eala. “Before Jamal left, we had a good meeting. We settled things. There was an amount we withheld because he left behind unpaid bills, which he has to pay for. He gave his phone to a friend Chris Childress and we’re still waiting for the last bill. Chris was with him in Manila and is now visiting his brother Josh, a former NBA star playing in Greece.”

Eala denied Sampson’s “scoop” that the Smart-Gilas players were disgruntled because of salary issues.

“First of all, Jamal had very little contact with his teammates,” said Eala. “His allegations were based on hearsay or double hearsay and you don’t give credence to that. Our guys practically killed themselves to win in Dubai. As is often mentioned in law, the thing speaks for itself. Our performance in Dubai spoke for itself. The team is fine, the boys are good and they’re practicing well.”

Eala welcomed team manager Frankie Lim’s arrival to the team.

“Frankie’s here to help,” said Eala. “We’ve had a smooth transition. Frankie is in charge of managing the team and his concerns include logistics, recruiting and signing of players, team composition and practices. He is working closely with Rajko in those aspects. As for the SBP, we will continue to be involved in the areas of marketing, media and coordination with basketball federations and FIBA. Smart-Gilas is an SBP team and program and we in SBP will remain a part of its directions and plans.”

Eala said he has briefed Lim on Sampson.

“Everything I know, Frankie knows,” said Eala. “Throughout his stay with us, I tried to keep Jamal sane and happy. I’ve spoken with his agent (Chris Emmen) and we both think it wasn’t right for him to say the things he did about our team. He probably did it out of self-defense because he’s still a guy in the market. It was to protect his image. Although we were exasperated because of his injuries, we never called him a faker. We never questioned his integrity. We never accused him of making up his injuries. The whole point was about reliability and Jamal just wasn’t ready to play whenever we needed him.”

Regarding the decision to retain Toroman’s staff, assistant coach Allan Gregorio said it was a morale booster.

“Credit goes to the dedication and professionalism of our players,” said Gregorio. “Even with coach Rajko in the US, we have maintained the integrity and focus in our practices. It was a good one-week experience to head the team.”

Lim confirmed the other day that Gregorio, Jude Roque and Djalma Arnedo will stay with the team on Toroman’s recommendation. There were prior suggestions to “upgrade” the staff by recruiting Binky Favis, Ed Cordero, Bong Ramos and Derick Pumaren. Lim, however, did not retain the team management committee made up of Butch Antonio, Rico Meneses, Bernie Atienza and Joey Bautista.

Meanwhile, Toroman flew back to Manila on a Philippine Airlines flight last Tuesday after a one-week scouting mission in Los Angeles where he watched several naturalization candidates in game action.

Toroman went to the US to look for a big man to reinforce the Smart-Gilas lineup after C. J. Giles and Sampson failed to make the grade.

At least six players were in Toroman’s radar. But his first choice, 6-11 Courtney Sims of the University of Michigan, may not be available. Golden State coach Don Nelson has reportedly zeroed in on Sims as a possible addition to the Warriors roster.

Toroman’s other picks were 7-0 Michael Fey of UCLA, 6-10 Dwayne Jones of St. Joseph’s and 7-0 Earl Barron of Memphis. Jones, 26, has played for Boston, Cleveland and Charlotte in four NBA seasons while Barron, 28, once suited up for Red Bull in the PBA and saw action for the Miami Heat. Also in Toroman’s watch list were 7-0 Gabriel Hughes of California and 6-10 Kurt Looby of Iowa.

Before Toroman left for Los Angeles, Lim brought two players to Manila for tryouts - 6-10 Darian Townes of Arkansas and 6-10 Jameel Watkins of Georgetown. Neither was particularly impressive.

thadzonline
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
6'7" Fil-Brit Matthew Ford:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/thadzonline/Basketball%20players/6foot7filbritmattford.jpg

thadzonline
07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
6'6" Fil-Aussie Bradwyn Guinto:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/thadzonline/Basketball%20players/bg1.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/thadzonline/Basketball%20players/bg2.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/thadzonline/Basketball%20players/bg3.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/thadzonline/Basketball%20players/bg4.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/thadzonline/Basketball%20players/bg5.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/thadzonline/Basketball%20players/bg6.jpg