PDA

View Full Version : 1978… THE GAME YOU NEVER SAW & 2008…THE GAME YOU WANT TO SEE! EAGLES VS. LIONS

gameface_one
10-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Tentative date: November 23, 2008
Venue: Philsports Arena

Gameface.ph is one of the Media Advisers of this rare event.

Featuring 2 games: Representatives from the 78/79/80 NCAA Collegiate Teams of the Ateneo Blue Eagles and San Beda Red Lions AND their Champion Teams of the 2008 NCAA and UAAP.

Will keep everybody posted for details!!!!

The_Big_Cat
10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Game 1:* '78/'79/'80 San Beda vs '78/'79/'80 Ateneo

Game 2:* 2008 San Beda vs 2008 Ateneo

This will be fun to watch. Dapat throwback din yung uniforms.

Joescoundrel
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
This should be one for all time. It is always good to have the younger generation of hardcore hoop fanatics have a look-see into the greatest players across the generations.

gelaibabydoll
10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Di kaya mapagod si coach Frankie? maglalaro sa isang game tapos magco-coach dun sa isa? hehehe... this is a must-see... ;D

BedanRoar
10-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Marami pa kaya makakalaro from '78/'79/'80 San Beda vs '78/'79/'80 Ateneo? Can you have the list of available players?

easter
10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
May TV coverage ba ito?

LION
10-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Closed door pa rin daw. Sarado. Players lang at mga coaches ang makakapasok.
;D

MonL
10-13-2008, 03:46 PM
It would be nice if they could get the old video tapes of 70s era games. Everyone knows about the 1977 SBC-Ateneo closed-door game which was broadcast by Channel 4. I do hope that that tape is still in its archives.

I still remember a LaSalle-Ateneo telecast in 1975, featuring then Eagle rookie Steve Watson. I don't know if they had microphones near the goal posts, but I remember hearing the thud of Watson's shots whenever he made his free throws.. Plus I distinctly remember Eagle Gerry Versoza making a steal off La Salle's Peter Ley at midcourt which sealed an Ateneo win.

MaD CoW
10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
They should get Sonny Padilla to referee for the '77/'78/'79 game, in case mag-boksing na naman. ;D

Looking forward to this one!

BedanRoar
10-13-2008, 04:04 PM
I saw both championships of San Beda in the 70's:

1. San Beda vs Ateneo: TV nga lang

2. San Beda vs La Salle: Rizal Memorial *

This will be exciting!

MonL
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Tentative date: November 23, 2008
Venue: Philsports Arena

Gameface.ph is one of the Media Advisers of this rare event.

Featuring 2 games: Representatives from the 78/79/80 NCAA Collegiate Teams of the Ateneo Blue Eagles and San Beda Red Lions AND their Champion Teams of the 2008 NCAA and UAAP.

Will keep everybody posted for details!!!!

I'd like to think that the Blue Eagles would be represented by members of its double champion squads of 1975-1976 and the 1977 team. The only 1978-80 Era Blue Eagles I know are Ogie Narvasa and Dean Castano.

u2
10-13-2008, 04:51 PM

dapat short shorts hahaha

razor
10-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Coach Boni Carbonell can still call the shots for the Red Lions.

Who was the Ateneo coach then?

easter
10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Can we make Pong Escobal play in this game? Baka naman mapakiusapan si MVP.

salsa caballero
10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
^^^
...atsaka long hair.

^^

the maestro, Baby D.

PS- si Martin, bagay na siguro kulay ng buhok! hahaha...si Alipante, baka may "K" na sa pangalan niya by now :D etc. etc. etc. yup, gotta' watch this game...memories of childhood will surely come flashing back.

The_Big_Cat
10-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Frankie Lim vs Ogie Narvasa.... ;D bakbakan na. ;D

Personally, I would like to see the "Bandana Kid" again, Steve Watson. He is by far, the most athletic guy in that era.

For the 2008 batch, this will be a good preview for the upcoming PCCL since it is a day before the opening of the PCCL. Off course, San Beda will be missing Pong Escobal.

Aside from the games itself, I look forward to the old school cheering from both schools.

razor
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I read somwhere that Abe King will be in town this month for some PBA legends charity work. Maybe he can be prevailed to stay longer or postpone his trip so he can play in the reunion game.

SIMBA
10-13-2008, 05:17 PM
pwede bang sa araneta nalang. if this event will be promoted well, i think ateneo and sbc can occupy araneta.

BedistaLoyalista
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
From what Abe told me sa email, he will be in Manila for the PBA Legends medical missions in Antipolo and Cuyapo and he will be attending the SBC and ADMU game.

jkad
10-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Marami pa kaya makakalaro from* '78/'79/'80 San Beda vs '78/'79/'80 Ateneo? Can you have the list of available players?

I see Joy Carpio all the time at the Ateneo games (even at the bonfire), I'm sure he can still play. Fritz Gaston looks really fit, don't know the condition of his knees though. Don't know whatever happened to Padim Israel.

atenista_comm
10-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Cheering showdown. :)

Let's invite Greenergy! hahahha

mighty_lion
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Short shorts with matching Austin Powers chest hairs dapat ang '78. ;D ;D

The_Big_Cat
10-13-2008, 07:45 PM
pwede bang sa araneta nalang. if this event will be promoted well, i think ateneo and sbc can occupy araneta.

November 23 is a Sunday. May PBA games dyan sa Araneta on that date.

The referees during the Ateneo-San Beda fight-marred game in the 70s should be tasked to handle this game if they are still around. Para retro talaga.

Maganda siguro kung naka Afro sila Dave Marcelo at Rabeh Al-Hussaini. ;D

eboy
10-13-2008, 07:54 PM
reading ready na si Chito Narvasa. Kaya pala nagpa-retro hairdo

easter
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Marami pa kaya makakalaro from* '78/'79/'80 San Beda vs '78/'79/'80 Ateneo? Can you have the list of available players?

Don't know whatever happened to Padim Israel.

Padim Israel is now a pastor and is married to Rio Locsin.

gameface_one
10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
May TV coverage ba ito?

Yes, abs-cbn studio 23.

gameface_one
10-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Can we make Pong Escobal play in this game? Baka naman mapakiusapan si MVP.

Yes, pinapakiusapan na as we speak.

yungha
10-13-2008, 09:28 PM
i hope it's a friendly game na not-so-friendly if you know what i mean. sana may magkainitan konti so we can get a glimpse of how it was back in the day.

MonL
10-13-2008, 09:50 PM

I see Joy Carpio all the time at the Ateneo games (even at the bonfire), I'm sure he can still play.* Fritz Gaston looks really fit, don't know the condition of his knees though.* Don't know whatever happened to Padim Israel.

Joy Carpio for several years also joined the Sto Nino processions at San Beda during end-of January, going around the Mendiola-San Rafael-Malacanang-St.Jude-Arlegui area. I am not sure if he continues to do that lately.

Leon_Guerero
10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
wow reunion ito ng old NCAA rival schools. excited na ako makitang maglaro ang 70's ADMU team at 70's SBC team, parang toyota-crispa lang. sana kumpleto line up ng dalawang teams, pati mga coaches at referees. ;D
retro!!

lekiboy
10-13-2008, 10:17 PM
i hope it's a friendly game na not-so-friendly if you know what i mean. sana may magkainitan konti so we can get a glimpse of how it was back in the day.

ang kuwento ni tito Mon and stardust sa akin e crowd daw ang mainit not the players... :) :) :)

we can definitely get a glimpse once the alumni start the "kantiyawan"....

gfy
10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
^ The rumble outside Araneta lasted about two hours :D. Habulan ng habulan all the way to Ali Mall and back. But it was more of guys from AHS who are mainit talaga ang mga ulo. Ngayon ay mga alumni na ;D.

KingRedLion
10-14-2008, 01:23 AM
This is definitely a not-to-miss!

¡Ánimo! vs. Fabilioh

Sana sa Araneta nga gawin. No problem naman sigurado for both San Beda & Ateneo.

Battle of Cheers na! Rivalry at it's finest!

BedanRoar
10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
I just wonder, how many could still be available from the 1950's rivalry. Caloy Loyzaga, Bonnie Carbonel....? It would be nice to see them watching this event. Re-live the good old memories.

mighty_lion
10-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Parang murder yung palaruin si Coach Bonnie. ;D

LION
10-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Parang murder yung palaruin si Coach Bonnie.* ;D

Pwede basta walang shotclock. He'll show us what slowbreak is all about. ;D

ponce
10-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Sana may tickets na! Nagstart na kami magkantyawan ng Atenista brother-in-law ko! When and where can we get tickets?

believer
10-14-2008, 11:50 AM
This one I have to see. I am a red blooded eagle or a blue blooded lion. I spent 11 years in Beda (Alabang and Manila) and 8 years in Ateneo.

I remember my dad brought me to my first NCAA game when i was five (or four) and I remember being stuck in the Araneta parking lot inside our VW beetle because Ateneo and San Beda fans were hurling bottles and stones at each other. Hey kid -- Welcome to basketball hoopla!

The last time I saw a Beda - Ateneo game was in a summer league 7 or 8 years ago in Makati coliseum (Ateneo lost). But during that game, I saw how loyal the fan base were for both teams. Imagine a summer league in a weekday afternoon but nonetheless both schools mustered 200 people each, cheering loudly at that.

Now that both teams are champions, I can just imagine how fans will cheer: Go San Beda Fight! and Go Ateneo! Reinforce nyo na mga drum niyo!

mighty_lion
10-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Parang murder yung palaruin si Coach Bonnie.* ;D

Pwede basta walang shotclock.* * He'll show us what slowbreak is all about.* *;D*

Naalala ko last year bubuhatin sana sya ng mga players nung championship ng FMC2, sumigaw sya bigla.. "wag baka mabali likod ko!" ;D

The_Big_Cat
10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Saan kaya uupo si Mr. Manny Pangilinan? ;D

Gusto ko makita yung "past little indians" together with the present day little indians. ;D

souljah_boy
10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
I can't wait to be part of this. I'll make sure my sked is vacant on the said date (or whenever the event might be).

MVP would probably wear a shirt with blue one side and red on the other, much like the banner that was made during the supposed Home-and-Away series between Ateneo and San Beda back in 2005.

ANIMO!!!

Pizza Guy
10-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Maglalaro pa rin ba si Ekwe dito?

easter
10-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Dapat yung 2008 ang throwback uniforms. Tapos yung 70s new uniforms.

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 07:55 PM
There is a possibility that we will include the best available players of both teams from 1975 to 1980 for the reunion match.

lekiboy
10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
can we extend the cheering routine to 10 minutes each? :)

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 08:10 PM
^^^ You can have 10 mins each actually: 5 mins per game. :)

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
For the reunion match, better if we can have some of the 75 to 80 cheer leaders as well doing their thing in the halftime.

lekiboy
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
^^^ You can have 10 mins each actually: 5 mins per game.* :)

kulang kase boss, kalahati pa lang ng cheer book namin ( 1950s) yun or CD ( 2007)...hehehe

are they going to do a body search at the gates? *;D

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 08:13 PM
^^^ During the games na lang yung iba. :)

lekiboy
10-14-2008, 08:16 PM
For the reunion match, better if we can have some of the 75 to 80 cheer leaders as well doing their thing in the halftime.

this will be easy from the red side. a lot of them were attending the games this season... including the indomitable former little red indians- By TOUTATIS!

Out_Of_The_Blue
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Baka magkaproblema pa tayo sa tickets, can we ask the organizers to advance the tickets and share them 50/50 sa 2 schools?

To our Bedan brothers, assuming na 8,000 ang capacity ng Ultra, kaya nyo na bang sagutin ang 4,000?

Mikhail
10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Nakows. Sayang, wala ako sa Pilipinas sa mga araw na 'to. ;D

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
^^^We are arranging a live webcast with abs-cbn and Smart Sports.

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Since we are still waiting for the final rosters of the 75 to 80 teams, perhaps we could already start discussing the match-ups for the 2008 Champion vs Champion game:

Al-Husseini vs. Ekwe
Tiu vs. Escobal
Reyes vs. Hermida
Buenafe vs. Menor
Baclao vs. Pascual
Nkemakolam vs. Marcelo
Salva vs. Gamalinda

lekiboy
10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Baka magkaproblema pa tayo sa tickets, can we ask the organizers to advance the tickets and share them 50/50 sa 2 schools?

To our Bedan brothers, assuming na 8,000 ang capacity ng Ultra, kaya nyo na bang sagutin ang 4,000?

pwede bang 6,000 sa amin- 2,000 sa inyo? :)

kaya yan, OOTB.

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Welcome to Gameface Coach Fritz Gaston. Can't wait to read your posts.

gameface_one
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
C/o MonL from the NCAA Forum. Just to relive those 76 and 77 games:

I was there when Game 14 happened. Here's what I recall of that time:

In 1976, then defending champion Ateneo was on the verge of winning the NCAA Seniors basketball championship via a two round sweep. Back then there was no three point shot, or role playing as we know it today such as point guard, power forward, or One to Five Spots. You were either a guard, forward or center, and can even be a hybrid, i.e, center-forward, guard-forward, even guard-center. A multi-position player would be called a "utility."

The Blue Eagles had a formidable lineup composed of 6'2" forward Steve Watson, 6'3" center-forward Bernardo "Joy" Carpio, 6'0" guard Matthew "Fritz" Gaston, 6'3" utility* Federico "Padim" Israel, 5'11" guard Louie Rabat, 6'2" center Maling Estrella, Eu Puyat, among others.

The Red Lions countered with veteran 5'10 guards* Chuck Barreiro and Alberto "Totoy" Gagan, the 5'9" Guzman Twins, Noel and Joel, 6'3" rookie center Abe King, sweet shooting 6'2" rookie forward Ber Martin, 6'2" rookie forward-center Joaquin "Chito" Loyzaga, among others.

The Eagles handily drubbed the Lions in the first round, and bowled over the rest of the NCAA teams in the second round to set the stage for a possible 14-game sweep and outright winning all the marbles.

No team in the NCAA at that point had ever swept both rounds and finished the season undefeated, and the Lions were in Ateneo's way with their date with history.

The game was held at the Araneta Coliseum. Back then this stadium could seat 30,000. On that historic day, it was packed to the rafters.

The game was closely fought, with no team getting way ahead. It all boiled down to the last minute. Ateneo had just tied the game, 75-all, 30 seconds left. A long inbounds pass was caught by Ber Martin near the top of the key, and Ber let fly with a straight-up midrange jumper that hit nothing but net. The Red Lion gallery exploded at that point, and the Lions led, 77-75, fifteen seconds left.* An Ateneo inbounds pass was caught by Chuck Barreiro at midcourt, and he was fouled, time down to seven seconds. He was given two foul shots, and the Lion faithful exploded with cheers each time Chuck sank his charities, while the Eagle spectators watched on in stunned silence. A quick Ateneo inbound and score pegged the final game score at 79-77, and San Beda swept the Second Round to set the stage for a Best-of-Three series. Though Ateneo would* be denied a historic first ever sweep, they would keep the NCAA Seniors Basketball crown that year via 2-0 shutout in the finals.

In 1977, the Ateneo Blue Eagles were poised to attempt another shot at NCAA history by trying to be the first team to win three straight postwar NCAA crowns. They fielded practically the same team from 1976: Steve Watson, Joy Carpio, Matthew Gaston, Padim Israel, Maling Estrella, guards Louie Rabat and Eu Puyat, forwards Bambi Kabigting and Manolito Valdez, among the more known players. Up from the Blue Eaglets was star player Ogie Narvasa. Legendary coach Baby Dalupan, who steered Ateneo’s back-to-back, relinquished the reins to his assistant, Adriano “Bong” Go.

And what happened to the Red Lions? Bruising 6-3 center Abe King left San Beda to play commercial league ball, and eventually carved out a brilliant career in the PBA. Spitfire guard Totoy Gagan had played out his eligibility and had moved on. Bedan Great Caloy Loyzaga had gone on to coach pro ball on and was replaced by another Bedan basketball legend, Loreto “Bonnie” Carbonell.

The carryovers from that great 1976 team were Chuck Barreiro, Chito Loyzaga and Ber Martin, Joel and twin brother Noel Guzman, 5-11 guard-forwards Ding Castaneda, Frankie Lim and Ric Dabu, and 6-2 relief center Glenn Manzano.

The new recruits over the summer then were 5-9 guard Cholo Martin, 5-10 guard Luis Brill, 6-0 forwards John Lizaso, Al Alipante and Jun De Jesus.

But there was no one yet recruited to fill in the shoes of the powerful Abe King.

When school year 1977 opened, everyone was guarded about the chances of the Red Lions. Clearly, the Blue Eagles were the favorites to win it all.

During that year’s NCAA Pep Rally we were introduced to that final piece in the Red Lions’ puzzle: the emcee introduced him to us as:

“Ang kapalit ni Abe King.........JOSEEEEEEEE YANGOOOOOOO!!!!!!!”

As cheers exploded and hopes were raised once again, I took a look at the Heir Apparent. I noted that Jayvee Yango was reed-thin, and a little hunched, making him appear shorter than his listed height of 6-3. I thought then that he was less than the player Abe King was. Little did I know.

On Opening Day at the Araneta Coliseum, I witnessed a portent of things to come. The Lions played the MIT Cardinals. Yango, though a rookie, displayed a tremendous fighting heart. I was seated way up in the bleachers and I could hear the snap of the ball in his hands as he FOUGHT for rebounds against Mapua’s frontline.

San Beda swept the first round by defeating Ateneo in the final game. The Eagles were without Watson, Carpio and Gaston, who were with the RP Youth Team in Kuwait with the Lions’ own Chuck Barreiro. Ateneo’s Big Three returned in the second round and the Eagles defeated the Red Lions to force a best-of three series.
In Game 1, the Eagles won, 105-99, as Watson routed Chito Loyzaga, 47-6 in scoring. Victory and NCAA glory was within the Eagles’ grasp.

In Game 2, Bonnie Carbonell ordered a slow-it-down, high percentage style of play, and the Lions won, 71-68, to set the stage for a last stand.

Game 3 was played behind closed doors in a near-empty Araneta Coliseum as spectator violence in Game 2 forced the fans out and the nation watched history take place on television.

The game was nip and tuck all the way, with the Lions battling through several ties and lead changes all throughout. Backup center Glenn Manzano led the way with sixteen points; Cholo Martin shot timely midrange jumpers, Chito Loyzaga, Ber Martin, the Guzman Twins and Chuck Barreiro made timely hits; the Lions muzzled Watson, who wasn’t able to duplicate his 47-point nuclear explosion in Game 1.

But the end was reserved for Jayvee Yango.

The final moments of the game was a pressure cooker, with Manzano fouled out and all the principal Lion players loaded with four fouls. Ateneo scored and led 75-74 on Louie Rabat twin charities with less than a minute left. San Beda had wilted in situations like this before, but now they stood their ground and capitalized on the breaks which came their way. Yango sank twin charities to pull the Lions ahead, 76-75. The Eagles had one last stab in the dying seconds of the game when Manolito Valdez drove down the lane but he was called for a charging foul against Al Alipante. Yango sank a charity to peg the final score at 77-75, and to end sixteen years of frustration for the Red Lions.

amdgc82
10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Old School NCAA: Ateneo vs San Beda (http://royceking.blog.friendster.com/2008/09/old-school-ncaa-ateneo-vs-san-beda/)

Is there such a thing as an Ateneo – San Beda rivarly?

Let’s be clear. When we are talking about the NCAA Senior Men’s Basketball, the answer will definitely be - YES. When both schools – Ateneo de Manila and San Beda College - were still together since 1924, they were the winningest teams in Philippine College Basketball. Both schools have winning traditions and a rich and colorful basketball history. Ateneo had 14 NCAA titles. San Beda College had 11 (13 if you count their current back to back titles). San Beda College was the first over Ateneo to win its College Basketball title in 1927, Ateneo followed suit in 1928 and the race was on.

Ateneo had the most back to back titles with 3 (1953 and 1954, 1957 and 1958, 1975 and 1976)) and 1 three peat (1931, 1932, 1933), while San Beda had three back to back titles (1934 and 1935, 1951 and 1952, 1977 and 1978) – 4 if you count 2006 and 2007 - and 1 three-peat (1934,1935,1936). Seasons 1955 and 1959 were the years that prevented Ateneo the glory – the rare Three-Peat. But check those dates out and you’ll notice that either of them are in each others noses. Either of them can be each ones road block for the quest to be the greatest college basketball team ever. But in 1955, San Beda took the Crispulo Zamora trophy - a special trophy by the NCAA for the most number of championships in that stretch.

After winning the 1959 NCAA Championship series, San Beda will wait 17 years for another back to back title. The other wait for San Beda will be 28 years but that’s another story narrated in his book by our colleague, Jude Roque, entitled - a Time to Roar. Anyway, that 1959 San Beda team was bannered by former MICAA bruiser Big Boy Reynoso, Tata Caranceja, Jose Oyson, Ramon Asiva, and Rodolfo de los Santos.

That wait will again push the league into another classic title showdown in the 53rd season of the NCAA.

The year was 1977. The Adamson Falcons bagged the UAAP Senior Men’s Basketball over the NU Bulldogs. Joel Banal was the NCAA’s scoring leader. And, the Ateneo Blue Eagles is again poised for greatness after winning back to back titles and in search for another three-peat will once more face a familiar sentry post – the San Beda Red Lions.

San Beda swept the 1st round of the series, 7-0, to gain the 1st final seat. The 1st time these two teams met, San Beda defeated Ateneo, 93-88. Ateneo had an excuse to lose because their three starters – Joy Carpio, Fritz Gaston and Steve Watson – were in Singapore playing for the RP Youth team. Chuck Barreiro was the only Red Lion to join that RP youth selection.

In the 2nd round, Ateneo, in their last game of the series, conquered San Beda, 92-89, to take the last seat of the finals. Chito Loyzaga missed his free throws and a jumper and Francisco “Frankie” Lim was thrown out of the ball game. The Finals was set for another explosion between two teams that have different styles. The San Beda Red Lions is a deliberate half-court, high percentage shooting team against the run and gun Ateneo Blue Eagles.

Aside from Barreiro, the Red Lions had Chito Loyzaga, JB Yango, the Guzman twins and Cholo Martin with Loreto Carbonel taking care of the sidelines. The Blue Eagles, however, aside from their RP Youth stalwarts, have Louie Rabat, the Narvasa brothers and Padim Israel with the youthful Bong Go manning the coaching chores for Ateneo.

September 21, Game 1 at the Araneta Coliseum. Experts predicted that Ateneo will go all the way to win the series because of their key players’ international experience. A thunderdome at the Big Dome was almost the description of that fateful day. Steel bolts, nuts, golf balls, eggs, dry batteries, chairs and, would you believe, even long playing albums were being thrown at the court by the packed crowds in the coliseum.

The game was almost cancelled if the boisterous spectators did not stop from Fr. Jose Cruz’s and Fr. Belarmine Baltazar’s call for both sides to calm down. But the Blue Eagles’ fate will so far agree with the experts as they took game 1 of the finals, 105-99. Steve Watson was the best player for the Blue Eagles supported by Joy Carpio and Padim Israel. “I guess you could consider that as my best game”, Watson said after the game. JB Yango, Chuck Barreiro, Noel and Joel Guzman were the top players for the Red Lions.

September 23, Game 2 at the Araneta Coliseum. Red Lions Head Coach Loreto Carbonel suggested to the NCAA officials that the following games be held in closed doors. Referees have again threatened to walk-out if such violence will occur during the games. The NCAA has been suspended in 1962 because of a similar incident. The 1963 and 1964 seasons were held in a home and away type format.

The Blue Eagles were not able to establish their running game and the Red Lions slowed things a bit. San Beda, with Chito Loyzaga, Chuck Barreiro, JB Yango and Al Alipante with his defense over Steve Watson, got game 2, 71-68 to tie the series at 1-1 but without casualties. One woman was hit near the eye and another a cut in the head as hooliganism once again struck at the Big Dome this time it included automobile spark plugs. Blue Eagle Manuel Estrella and Red Lion Noel Guzman were both hurt during the mayhem.

September 25. Ateneo de Manila thru Fr. Jose Cruz has announced that they will quit the NCAA due to rowdiness and violence. Fr. Cruz said that their withdrawal from the league was for the protection of their students and the general public. But the series will still continue.

Twice the Blue Eagles were denied by the Red Lions of a three-peat and this series will be the last of an illustrious college basketball rivalry the country has ever known.

Game 3 at the Araneta Coliseum, September 25. The same day when Ateneo made its announcement to withdraw from the league would like to come out, hopefully, with a bang. The game will be held in closed doors and will be watched only by school officials and the press.

With a refined defensive system and a man-zone that caught the Blue Eagles off guard, the San Beda Red Lions captured the 53rd NCAA Senior Men’s Basketball title, 77-75, denying the Blue Eagles another three-peat.

Ateneo Blue Eagles Back to Back Coach Baby Dalupan (the PBA’s winningest coach) blamed referee Manuel Inocentes for calling a charging foul on Blue Eagle Manolito Valdez. Coach Dalupan believes that call influenced the outcome of the series. The foul gave the Red Lions two free throw opportunities to ice the series for good.

Eugenio Puyat literally carried the Blue Eagles with 16 points followed by Watson and Carpio. Chito Loyzaga also had 16-points with Manzano, Yango and Martin contributing in double digits for the Red Lions. Ateneo’s Joy Carpio was named the Most Valuable Player.

San Beda would go on to win back to back in 1978 over the La Salle Green Archers. Ateneo will enter the UAAP. San Beda will win another title after……28 long years, almost twice the wait since the last time in 1959. The rivalry’s frolic and color is still being enjoyed on occasion in organized exhibition games by both schools. San Beda is destined to be a dynasty at this early part of the 21st century. And Ateneo continues to struggle at the UAAP. If San Beda succeeds in its application for a university status, will it join its former NCAA founding members? Who knows what will happen.

WampumTribe
10-14-2008, 10:26 PM

For spark plugs, Size D batteries and the old One-Peso coins? He-he-he.

When was the last time people brought umbrellas to see a game?

Joescoundrel
10-14-2008, 10:27 PM

this will be easy from the red side. a lot of them were attending the games this season... including the indomitable former little red indians- By TOUTATIS!

Toutatis pala.

BY BELENOS!

BY JUPITER!

Asterix fans pala tayo! ;D

lekiboy
10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Cheering showdown. :)

Let's invite Greenergy! hahahha

bwaahaha- ngayon ko lang nakita ito- bwahahahah--

for sure, we will be using fiberglass backboards.

lekiboy
10-14-2008, 10:58 PM

we did in the late 80s- but not to shield off flying debris but as props when we were doing the susmaryosep, susmaryosep, ang init cheer.... :)

Raging Blue
10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Clarification lang. The head coach of the 1977-78 Blue Eagles seniors team was Bong Go, not Baby Dalupan. Dalupan resigned as coach after the 1976-77 season to express his disgust over the expulsion of his son from the Ateneo due to academic reasons.

In my opinion, Ateneo would have gotten the three-peat if Dalupan was still coaching the team. They did not call this multi-titled coach, the Maestro, for nothing. He won titles in the basketball leagues he coached be it the UAAP, NCAA, MICAA and he PBA.

I am also looking forward to the "old-timers" game as an opportunity for payback for the title that the Blue Eagles should have won.

MonL
10-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Clarification lang. The head coach of the 1977-78 Blue Eagles seniors team was Bong Go, not Baby Dalupan. Dalupan resigned as coach after the 1976-77 season to express his disgust over the expulsion of his son from the Ateneo due to academic reasons.

In my opinion, Ateneo would have gotten the three-peat if Dalupan was still coaching the team. They did not call this multi-titled coach, the Maestro, for nothing. He won titles in the basketball leagues he coached be it the UAAP, NCAA, MICAA and he PBA.

I am also looking forward to the "old-timers" game as an opportunity for payback for the title that the Blue Eagles should have won.

Yes, you are correct,* it was Bong Go who coached the Eagles in 1977, but Dalupan still gave his opinion on that charging call on Valdez which was the basis for an Ateneo protest, that referee Inocentes should have counted Valdez' shot and SBC be awarded two free throws. But the protest was* denied as the NCAA Policy Board reasoned that judgment calls could not be made the basis for a protest.

And I also recall that Sports Weekly Magazine got a photograph of that play: it showed that Alipante was already leaning over backwards after being bumped by Valdez; Valdez still had the ball in his hands.* *

I too would like to find out if the old timers can still run on court. I believe Chito Loyzaga and Frankie Lim can still play, given that they have shed off a lot of weight in recent years and relatively fit.* I last saw Joy Carpio several years ago in one of the processions at San Beda and he didn't look overweight. Ogie Narvasa played in the Fil-Oil tournament a couple of years ago and seemed in relatively good shape.

LION
10-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Against Mapua in 1991. Batuhan ng coins both sides. Sadly, the casualties were those seated in the patron side. A great number of the projectiles did not even reach the hardcourt.

I even remember Richard Gomez covering his head with his hands in futility. A number of MIT students targeted him on purpose.

The_Big_Cat
10-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Since we are still waiting for the final rosters of the 75 to 80 teams, perhaps we could already start discussing the match-ups for the 2008 Champion vs Champion game:

Al-Husseini vs. Ekwe
Tiu vs. Escobal
Reyes vs. Hermida
Buenafe vs. Menor
Baclao vs. Pascual
Nkemakolam vs. Marcelo
Salva vs. Gamalinda

A game where old juniors rivals meet again.

2005 NCAA Juniors Finals: Borgie Hermida (Red Cubs) vs Eric Salamat (Staglets)
2006 NCAA Juniors Finals: Jake Pascual (Baby Dolphins) vs Ryan Buenafe (Staglets)

easter
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM

So Dalupan was coach of Ateneo and of Crispa in the PBA at the same time? *Amazing! ???

The_Big_Cat
10-15-2008, 08:50 AM

So Dalupan was coach of Ateneo and of Crispa in the PBA at the same time? *Amazing! ???

Yup.

mangtsito
10-15-2008, 08:57 AM
The referees during the Ateneo-San Beda fight-marred game in the 70s should be tasked to handle this game if they are still around. Para retro talaga.

Baka ang kalabasan ng referees dito ay yung nangyari sa Crispa-Toyota rematch.

Sabi ng announcer, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are stopping the game to give way to the very first referee substitution in the history of Philippine basketball". ;D Matanda na kasi.

LION
10-15-2008, 09:47 AM
^^^ Bwahahaha! Ayos.

Ilang ambulansiya ba ang kailan sa larong yan? ;D

abcdef
10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
gamefaceone

Di po ba pwedeng sa The Arena nalang?

razor
10-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Arthro, Flanax, Salompas, etc. are ideal sponsors for the legends' game *;D

MonL
10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
gamefaceone* *

Not enough room?

toti_mendiola
10-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Arthro, Flanax, Salompas, etc. are ideal sponsors for the legends' game ;D

And a public service ad courtesy of 119 emergency.
Yari ang pi pito sa game na ito. puputaktehin ng reklamo. lahat ng infractions nila kelangan me 20% discount.

BedanRoar
10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
gamefaceone* *

Not enough room?

I agree, with this kind and rare event. Araneta is suitable sana since thats were it all happened between this two Rivals.

The_Big_Cat
10-15-2008, 12:16 PM
^Kung sa Araneta, it has to be a Saturday. Kasi fully booked na ang Sunday for the PBA sa Araneta.

SIMBA
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
gameface_one and event organizers... move the date to saturday and make the venue in araneta.

souljah_boy
10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
reading the articles posted here, it still sends shivers down my spine.

ANIMO!!!

abcdef
10-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I think our elders could already start sharing stories behind the scenes during that time.
Like, are there people camped outside the gym during the closed door game? and the likes. . . .

gameface_one
10-16-2008, 03:01 PM
^^^Agree. MonL and co, how passionate were the fans from both schools back then? How do you compare them with the fans of today?

TD21
10-16-2008, 03:21 PM
how would the 08 AdMU Blue Eagles hold up against the 08 SBC Red Lions...assuming everyone from both championship teams will play?

Rabeh lorded over shorter competition in the UAAP, but would have to contend with the size and strength of Ekwe.
Will Nonoy Blocklao have a block party vs SBC?
How about Menor vs Salamat? Angas for angas!

Exciting!

LION
10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
^^ Ngayon puro asta at porma lang ang mga supporters. *;D *

Wala na kasing angst na ilalabas. Walang kimkim na galit.

abcdef
10-16-2008, 03:33 PM
^ kaya siguro walang angst kasi yung competition between the two schools is up until the basketball arena nalang ngayon tapos mag kaiba pa ng liga.

Will this be the start of several "cross-league" games? Will this start more friction between UAAP and NCAA? or a moment to think about merger?

I believe that this will be more than just a game between the two long lost rival schools but a beginning of something better!

What ever the outcome would be it would be for the betterment of Philippine collegiate basketball.

MaD CoW
10-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I hope both teams take this seriously, keeping in mind that this is after all in the spirit of friendly competition and sportsmanship.* That being said, I don't expect this to be the start of anything at all.* This game could've happened as early as two years ago if only the Blue Eagles held off UST in regulation in game 3 of the UAAP Season 69 finals.* But alas, it wasn't meant to be.* I don't think we would be talking about this exhibition game either had JRU scored the upset of the year in game 3 of this year's NCAA finals.* In other words, this can only happen if both teams win their respective league titles.* That is, until San Beda secures their university status and decides to join the UAAP.* ;)

redz16
10-17-2008, 04:42 AM
Eagles, Lions to rekindle cage rivalry
By Joaquin Henson
Friday, October 17, 2008

It was 30 years ago when Ateneo and San Beda played behind closed doors to decide the NCAA senior men’s basketball championship in a game that fans never saw. Today, the Blue Eagles and Red Lions are champions in different leagues but as the saying goes, there can only be one.

On Nov. 23, a group made up of Smart Sports, ABS-CBN Sports, SBP and alumni from both schools is bringing to reality “the game you never saw” and “the game you want to see” in a doubleheader at the PhilSports Arena.

The first contest will feature a reprise of the 1977 NCAA finals and the second, a showdown between this year’s NCAA and UAAP champions.

Patrick Gregorio of Smart Sports said varsity cagers from 1975 to 1980 will comprise the San Beda and Ateneo squads in the opener while this season’s players will see action in the main event.

In 1977, Ateneo and San Beda figured in a best-of-3 series for the NCAA crown. The Eagles drew first blood, 105-99, as Steve Watson fired 47 points. The Lions prevailed, 71-68, in Game 2 that was marred by fan violence. To avoid an escalation of emotions, the NCAA ruled that Game 3 would be played behind closed doors with no fans in the stands. San Beda won, 77-75.

The Lions’ winning coach was Bonnie Carbonnel and his mainstays included Chito Loyzaga, Chuck Barreiro, Jayvee Yango, Louie Brill, Cholo Martin, Frankie Lim and Joel and Noel Guzman. Ateneo was coached by Baby Dalupan and the Eagles included Watson, Joy Carpio, Fritz Gaston, Louie Rabat, Ogie Narvasa, Bambi Kabigting, Maling Estrella and Eu Puyat.

San Beda’s Abe King turned pro the year the Lions won the championship but was invited to reinforce the team in the revival game.

King, who lives in the US, underwent back surgery three months ago but confirmed he’ll be ready to play.

“I will try to do some jogging now so I can at least run up and down the court three times,” he said. “It might turn out to be a comedy. But I’ll be ready to help for a good cause. Count me in.”

King is arriving in Manila next week to attend the PBA Legends USA Foundation’s medical mission on Oct. 25 in Antipolo and Oct. 26 in Cuyapo, Nueva Ecija.

Gregorio said he is arranging for Pong Escobal, who now plays for Talk ‘N’ Text in the PBA, to suit up for the Red Lions as the 6-1 guard was a vital cog in this year’s NCAA title team.

“This won’t be your usual exhibition because the rivalry is still strong,” said Gregorio. “Both schools are out to win. Fans never saw Game 3 of the 1977 finals. Now, after 30 years, we’ll witness what we never saw. As for this year’s champions, this will settle the issue of not only which team is superior but also which league – the UAAP or the NCAA.”

Gregorio said the doubleheader will raise funds for the projects of SBP and the PLDT-Smart Foundation to benefit athletes.

A highlight of the main event is the duel in the middle between Ateneo’s Rabah Al-Hussaini and San Beda’s Sam Ekwe. Other matchups to watch are Ryan Buenafe versus Ogie Menor, Nonoy Baclao versus Jake Pascual, Chris Tiu versus Escobal and Jai Reyes versus Borgie Hermida.
Gaston said he’s looking forward to the revival game.

“It’s an excellent preliminary to the game between the current champs,” said Gaston. “This match has a very rich history, not to mention animosity and fierce rivalry. Ateneo was going for a three-peat and San Beda was out to win after losing the year before. This was Ateneo’s last year in the NCAA. San Beda wanted to spoil our going away party. It was the first closed door championship game ever.”

Gaston said despite the age factor, the 1977 Ateneo team should be competitive.

“Barring scars from PBA days, Steve, Joy, Padim and I should be able to play,” continued Gaston. “We’re slower but the skills should still be there. San Beda will have Frankie, Mike (Advani), Chito, Abe and Jayvee.”

Gregorio said the twinbill is the realization of an impossible dream.

Suggested ticket prices will likely range from P500 for patron seats and P100 for the bleachers. The seating capacity at the PhilSports Arena is 8,900.

Gregorio said he is coordinating with Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) chairman Rey Gamboa to avoid conflict in schedule. The PCCL opens hostilities on Nov. 24 with neither San Beda nor Ateneo playing.

San Beda president Fr. Matt de Jesus has pledged his all-out support for the project, said Gregorio. The organizing committee is composed of Gregorio, Art Aro, Anton Almeda of Smart Sports, Jojo Garcia and Jenny Jimenez of ABS-CBN Sports, SBP executive director Noli Eala, Gaston, coach Bong Go, King, Lim and Loyzaga.

The commissioner for the event is Bernie Atienza with Perry Martinez as head of the technical committee. Advisers are PLDT chairman Manny Pangilinan, Fr. de Jesus and Ateneo’s Ricky Palou.

mighty_lion
10-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Can someone describe kung paano maglaro dati si Coach Frankie? Kaming mga bata-bata pa walang idea. :D

LION
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Can someone describe kung paano maglaro dati si Coach Frankie? Kaming mga bata-bata pa walang idea.* *:D

Alex Angeles is a poor man's version of Frankie Lim. Not athletic. No fancy moves. Deadly from the perimeter and 3 point area. Stabilizing factor, smart point guard, stood his ground even against the legendary Sonny Jaworski, tough player without being considered dirty or rough.

razor
10-17-2008, 08:29 AM
^ Kilabot din sa chicks :-X ;D

BedanRoar
10-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Can someone describe kung paano maglaro dati si Coach Frankie? Kaming mga bata-bata pa walang idea.* *:D

Coach Lim was basically a Palaban na point guard (Kahit kay Jaworski nakipagbatuhan ng bola sa ulo). I can remember a part of his arsenal 'The No Look Pass" and it was fairly accurate and effective.

BedanRoar
10-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Jayvee Yango a small center at 6'3 is not a leaper but you can always count him grabbing those rebounds and put-backs. Why? His Timing and positioning under the goal is Excellent! A very smart Center.

The_Big_Cat
10-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Frankie has an excellent perimeter shot. Kaso set-shot lang nga. Yung porma ng shot niya is similar to that of Larry Bird pero maliit lang ang jump niya. A big and wide-bodied point guard during his era.

Maganda siguro kung lagyan ng sideshows tulad ng three-point shooting contest and slam dunk contest. Maybe JR Tecson and Jerome Villanueva can strut their 3-pt shooting skills against Ateneo's Chris Tiu and Kirk Long. Sa Slam Dunk, maybe we could invite Team Behold's Sudan Daniels and Glory Be's Conrad Fernando.

Sulitin na natin itong "once-in-a-lifetime" event with those sideshows at baka matagal uli bago magkaroon ng ganitong game.

MonL
10-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Jayvee Yango a small center at 6'3 is not a leaper but you can always count him grabbing those rebounds and put-backs. Why? His Timing and positioning under the goal is Excellent! A very smart Center.

No question, his timing and inside game was second to none. Compared to today, 6'3" is short. In the 70s you had to have a center of that size in order to have a competitive team.* When he was young and thin, he could dunk two-handed during warmups, specially during his second season in SBC. He and Rolly Evangelista, his 6'3" backup would always wow the crowd with their slams.* In those days, dunking was used as an exhibition of physical conditioning and a means to intimidate as well.

You were lucky if you got a 6'5" player. MIT had 6'6 Romulo Mamaril in '76, but he was reed-thin and gangling. JRC had 6'6" Ed Carvajal in 1972 and in 77-78 had 6'5" Manny Victorino, an agile and mobile center with forward-like moves. He once made a drop-jaw tomahawk dunk in a game vs. SBC. Sa warmup nga lang, but i remember that to this day. And Letran had 6'5" future PBA crowd favorite*Ed Ducut ;D* later on.

It was only in the 80s when players started to dunk in a game, not just in warmups.

The_Big_Cat
10-17-2008, 10:34 AM

No question, his timing and inside game was second to none. Compared to today, 6'3" is short. In the 70s you had to have a center of that size in order to have a competitive team.* When he was young and thin, he could dunk two-handed during warmups, specially during his second season in SBC. He and Rolly Evangelista, his 6'3" backup would always wow the crowd with their slams.* In those days, dunking was used as an exhibition of physical conditioning and a means to intimidate as well.

You were lucky if you got a 6'5" player. MIT had 6'6 Romulo Mamaril in '76, but he was reed-thin and gangling. JRC had 6'6" Ed Carvajal in 1972 and in 77-78 had 6'5" Manny Victorino, an agile and mobile center with forward-like moves. He once made a drop-jaw tomahawk dunk in a game vs. SBC. Sa warmup nga lang, but i remember that to this day. And Letran had 6'5" future PBA crowd favorite*Ed Ducut ;D* later on.

It was only in the 80s when players started to dunk in a game, not just in warmups.

Magkakasama sa Ginebra dati sila Mike Advani, Joey Loyzaga, Ed Ducut, and Romulo Mamaril.

BedanRoar
10-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Even Ateneo had a taller team than San Beda during that time. I believe Joy Carpio is around 6'5?

The_Big_Cat
10-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Even Ateneo had a taller team than San Beda during that time. I believe Joy Carpio is around 6'5?

I believe Joy Carpio is around 6'3 to 6'4". Carpio and Yango are of the same height.

MonL
10-17-2008, 11:10 AM

I believe Joy Carpio is around 6'3 to 6'4". Carpio and Yango are of the same height.

He is 6'3" and has a good short-to-medium range jumper. Padim Israel was 6'3" as well. Their heavyset backup center, Maling Estrella, was 6'2".

BedanRoar
10-17-2008, 11:17 AM

He is 6'3" and has a good short-to-medium range jumper. Padim Israel was 6'3" as well. Their heavyset backup center, Maling Estrella, was 6'2".

I see, parang kasing height niya si Guidaben during his Crispa days.

Oo nga, I found this at Wiki.

Joy Carpio F 6'3" 188 lbs May 7, 1958 Ateneo Crispa, Presto, 7-Up

souljah_boy
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I remember my dad making a remark about Frankie Lim when he saw him for the first time in a long while, "Ang taba na niya ah."

Haven't seen the guy play, honestly. I wonder how he, and the others, will be in the reunion match.

The_Big_Cat
10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Their PBA jersey numbers as far as I can recall:

Abe King (#6)
Chito Loyzaga (#41)
JV Yango (#24)
Padim Israel (#17)
Fritz Gaston (#22)
Joy Carpio (#29)
Steve Watson (#5)

Gaston, Carpio & Israel played together in Crispa. After the disbandment of Toyota & Crispa; Gaston, Carpio & King played together in Great Taste. Padim Israel and JV Yango played together on the Tanduay and Purefoods teams.

BedanRoar
10-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Cholo Martin & Elmer Reyes were rookies at that time, right?

MonL
10-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Cholo Martin & Elmer Reyes were rookies at that time, right?

Cholo Martin was a rookie for the Red Lions in 1977. Elmer Reyes came aboard in 1978.

SIMBA
10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
sana makakuha ng copy ng closed door game nung 1978, then itelevised a day before the game.

SIMBA
10-17-2008, 06:24 PM
MonL question: do you think the 1978 championship games (best of 3 series) were recorded? mas maganda sana kasing ipalabas ung 3 games muna para mas mataas ang anticipation sa final event.

gameface_one
10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
sana makakuha ng copy ng closed door game nung 1978, then itelevised a day before the game.

We are getting a copy. Coach Fritz will lend his copy to us. We are just arranging it with abs-cbn. Hope we can show it prior to the Nov. 23 event.

jkad
10-17-2008, 07:04 PM
^^^Agree. MonL and co, how passionate were the fans from both schools back then? How do you compare them with the fans of today?

matindi noon, may nagpapasabog ng pillbox sa bleachers. a whole line of ROTC cadets would have to separate the cheering sections in the bleachers. After the games pag may Ateneo, La Salle or San Beda (or even the other schools) sticker yung kotse mo baka basagin ang salamin. rumble sa Cubao after the games, may saksakan pa. paboritong cheer ng letran "Manalo, matalo bugbog kayo."

batuhan ng piso sa court ang uso noon, kaya nagka-closed door game

Bodhisattva
10-17-2008, 07:25 PM
^ spark plugs, old records. softdrink bottles...

easter
10-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Gaston, Carpio & Israel played together in Crispa.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think Gaston never played for Crispa. He was with U-Tex in that very memorable championship game against Toyota wherein he went toe-to-toe with Jawo. I think he was a rookie then. After U-Tex, he went to Great Taste.

lovejones
10-17-2008, 10:44 PM
That 70s game* ;D

Team San Beda
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2178/1684718938_2d57a29926.jpg

1st Row: Ramon Martin, Francisco Lim, Louis Brill, Muse Bing Pimentel, Jose Emmanuel – Team Captain, Manuel Manosa III, Ricardo Dabu.

2nd Row: Fr. Paul de Vera, OSB, Athletic Moderator P. Cayco, Asst. Manager Raymundo Barreiro, Bernardo Martin, Albert Bregendahl, Jose Yango, Joaquin Loyzaga, Rolando Evangelista, Elmer Reyes, Gabriel Lim, Noel Guzman, Manager Nereo Andolong, Jr., Coach Loreto Carbonell.

Team Ateneo
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Ateneo_Blue_Eagles_NCAA_1975_%281610969012%29.jpg/800px-Ateneo_Blue_Eagles_NCAA_1975_%281610969012%29.jpg

1st Row: Joy Carpio, Maling Estrada, Steve Watson, Ricky Lacson, Padim Israel.

2nd Row: Fr. Cipriano Unson (Athletic Moderator), Johnny Perlas, Max Estrada, Jerry Verzosa (Captain), Louie Rabat, Chito Narvasa and Booby Tesoro.

3rd Row: Bong Go (Assistant Coach), M. Villamor, Joey Pengson, Fritz Gaston, Pons Valdes, Ike Austria, Sonny de los Santos, and Baby Dalupan (Coach).

MonL
10-17-2008, 11:25 PM
MonL question: do you think the 1978 championship games (best of 3 series) were recorded? mas maganda sana kasing ipalabas ung 3 games muna para mas mataas ang anticipation sa final event.

The 1977 closed door game was the only game televised in the series because the fans were banished due to spectator violence. It was done as a matter of public service by then GTV Channel 4 and without commercial breaks.

MonL
10-17-2008, 11:48 PM
That 70s game* ;D

Team San Beda
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2178/1684718938_2d57a29926.jpg

1st Row: Ramon Martin, Francisco Lim, Louis Brill, Muse Bing Pimentel, Jose Emmanuel Guzman – Team Captain, Manuel Manosa III, Ricardo Dabu.

2nd Row: Fr. Paul de Vera, OSB, Athletic Moderator P. Cayco, Asst. Manager Raymundo Barreiro, Bernardo Martin, Albert Bregendahl, Jose Yango, Joaquin Loyzaga, Rolando Evangelista, Elmer Reyes, Gabriel Lim, Noel Guzman, Manager Nereo Andolong, Jr., Coach Loreto Carbonell.

Team Ateneo
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Ateneo_Blue_Eagles_NCAA_1975_%281610969012%29.jpg/800px-Ateneo_Blue_Eagles_NCAA_1975_%281610969012%29.jpg

1st Row: Joy Carpio, Maling Estrella, Steve Watson, Ricky Lacson, Padim Israel.

2nd Row: Fr. Cipriano Unson (Athletic Moderator), Johnny Perlas, Max Estrada, Jerry Verzosa (Captain), Louie Rabat, Chito Narvasa and Booby Tesoro.

3rd Row: Bong Go (Assistant Coach), M. Villamor, Joey Pengson, Fritz Gaston, Pons Valdes, Ike Austria, Sonny de los Santos, and Baby Dalupan (Coach).

That SBC team was the 1978 Defending Champion; The Blue Eagles shown are the 1975 Champions as they had Jerry Versoza in the lineup.

MonL
10-18-2008, 12:09 AM

matindi noon, may nagpapasabog ng pillbox sa bleachers.* a whole line of ROTC cadets would have to separate the cheering sections in the bleachers.* After the games pag may Ateneo, La Salle or San Beda (or even the other schools) sticker yung kotse mo baka basagin ang salamin.* rumble sa Cubao after the games, may saksakan pa.* paboritong cheer ng letran "Manalo, matalo bugbog kayo."

batuhan ng piso sa court ang uso noon, kaya nagka-closed door game

You beat me to it. I even got a taste of tear gas someone sneaked inside the school bus while my friends and I were waiting for the rest of the group to come aboard after our game. And that was just on opening day, 1975.*When the games were played at Rizal Memorial Coliseum, the skirmish lines would reach the Harrison Plaza. Groups would be identified by the colors they wore, and hit-and-run confrontations would commence. :P

On the positive side, there were stunts I have not seen in recent years. For Ateneo, I still remember a cheerleader carrying a live, flapping eagle on court during their halftime presentation in Game 14 in 1976, when they attempted a sweep vs SBC.*

At mas maangas ang mga cheerleaders noon. But that's just a biased point of view. ;D

souljah_boy
10-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Probably because it was an all-male ensemble of cheerleaders for the schools are they not?

Jaco D
10-18-2008, 12:36 AM
A little trivia regarding those two pics: *SBC's Manolet Manosa and ADMU's Fritz Gaston are either first or second cousins. *Manolet's Mom, I think, is the sister of the late Ateneo cage legend Chole Gaston.

MonL
10-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Probably because it was an all-male ensemble of cheerleaders for the schools are they not?

Well, not really. SBC had "guest female cheerleaders" then too, such as from consortium member College of the Holy Spirit.

BLUE HORSE
10-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Other trivia about the ADMU players. Joey Pengson's father used to call basketball games in the NCAA and MICAA games. I believe Pons Valdez is the younger brother or cousin of singer Maya Valdez. In grade school, Chito Loyzaga, Steve Watson and Louie Rabat battled for bragging rights as batch champion.

Will ADMU have a complete cast of players? Are the players in shape?

BedanRoar
10-18-2008, 07:49 AM
A little trivia regarding those two pics: *SBC's Manolet Manosa and ADMU's Fritz Gaston are either first or second cousins. *Manolet's Mom, I think, is the sister of the late Ateneo cage legend Chole Gaston.

I think so, I use to hang around ( in San Juan Manosa Compound) with this guys when I was a kid.

The_Big_Cat
10-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Gaston, Carpio & Israel played together in Crispa.*

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think Gaston never played for Crispa. He was with U-Tex in that very memorable championship game against Toyota wherein he went toe-to-toe with Jawo. I think he was a rookie then. After U-Tex, he went to Great Taste.

Gaston played for Crispa. I was able to watch him as a youngster then. Sabay sila ni Manotoc lumipat noon from UTEX. Then after the disbandment of Crispa, lumipat naman siya sa Great Taste. He was recruited by his Ateneo coach and then Great Taste coach Baby Dalupan.

MonL
10-18-2008, 09:43 AM
A little trivia on the 1978 SBC team. Albert "Jiggs" Bregendahl's mom is actress Rita Gomez. Jiggs I believe was among the rare kind of persons then to shave his head to make a statement. You have to understand that long hair was so in vogue at the time that it was a shock to us when he arrived on campus one day clean shaven, bald-headed.* We didn't know why, though...;D

BedanRoar
10-18-2008, 10:05 AM
A little trivia on the 1978 SBC team. Albert "Jiggs" Bregendahl's mom is actress Rita Gomez. Jiggs I believe was among the rare kind of persons then to shave his head to make a statement. You have to understand that long hair was so in vogue at the time that it was a shock to us when he arrived on campus one day clean shaven, bald-headed.* We didn't know why, though...;D

His father was the Late Rick Rodrigo (Actor) and one of his younger brother was my playmate. BTW, where is he now?

souljah_boy
10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Fellow Bedans (and to the Ateneans), where will the tickets be sold and how much would they cost? I saw in a friend's Multiply account that he has a ticket already.

gameface_one
10-18-2008, 01:16 PM
No tickets yet. Price is still being finalized.

The_Big_Cat
10-18-2008, 01:19 PM
It would be fun to see kung sila Senator Richard Gordon and Senator Rene Saguisag ang mag-lead sa halftime cheer in the reunion game.

MonL
10-18-2008, 03:18 PM

His father was the Late Rick Rodrigo (Actor) and one of his younger brother was my playmate. BTW, where is he now?

He is now based in New York.

MonL
10-18-2008, 03:25 PM
It would be fun to see kung sila Senator Richard Gordon and Senator Rene Saguisag ang mag-lead sa halftime cheer in the reunion game.

...probably if Senator Saguisag has fully recovered from the tragic accident and personal loss he suffered some time ago.

blueatheart
10-18-2008, 03:31 PM

...probably if Senator Saguisag has fully recovered from the tragic accident and personal loss he suffered some time ago.

Maybe this event will give him the opportunity to have fun once again

The_Big_Cat
10-18-2008, 03:42 PM

This would probably be a good time for him to make a public appearance. He has stayed away from the public eye since the unfortunate incident.

abcdef
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
No tickets yet. Price is still being finalized.

Just a question. . . . Saan po mabibili ang tickets pag ka release?

gameface_one
10-19-2008, 09:27 PM
We are assuming that tickets will be given to each school for disposal based on their requested allocations. Of course, tickets should also be available at the ULTRA.

SIMBA
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
double post

bchoter
10-20-2008, 08:49 AM

I see Joy Carpio all the time at the Ateneo games (even at the bonfire), I'm sure he can still play.* Fritz Gaston looks really fit, don't know the condition of his knees though.* Don't know whatever happened to Padim Israel.

Joy Carpio for several years also* joined the Sto Nino processions at San Beda during end-of January, going around the Mendiola-San Rafael-Malacanang-St.Jude-Arlegui area. I am not sure if he continues to do that lately.
He seem to walk with a limp or is favoring one leg.

BLUE HORSE
10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
A former varsity player shared that ADMU will be handicapped because a number of players have suffered debilitating knee injuries. Joy Carpio has a noticeable limp. Fritz Gaston apparently had knee surgery not to long ago. The inside of Chito Narvasa's knees are suppose to be mushy like oatmeal and Padim Israel also has knee problems. There is also the weight problems of some of the players. The inside joke is that a number of the home grown boys are now built for wrestling, kung gusto raw sumo pa. ;D

If SBC will have Abe King as a guest player then ADMU can draft Cassie Tioseco to play alongside his dad, Jimmy. :P

lekiboy
10-20-2008, 11:21 AM
A former varsity player shared that ADMU will be handicapped because a number of players have suffered debilitating knee injuries.* Joy Carpio has a noticeable limp.* Fritz Gaston apparently had knee surgery not to long ago.* The inside of Chito Narvasa's knees are suppose to be mushy like oatmeal and Padim Israel also has knee problems.* There is also the weight problems of some of the players.* The inside joke is that a number of the home grown boys are now built for wrestling, kung gusto raw sumo pa.* *;D

If SBC will have Abe King as a guest player then ADMU can draft Cassie Tioseco to play alongside his dad, Jimmy.* :P

^ naku- di na kayo makakabawi nyan....

canmaker
10-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Si Louie Rabat yung mukhang wrestler na, sa laki ng katawan ... parang aparador na ang itsura. Hehehe. Jojo Gamboa is in great shape. Siguro si Ogie Narvasa puwede pa ring maglaro ...

Keep the ambulances nearby !!!

BLUE HORSE
10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Canmaker,

You are right about Louie Rabat but the same is true for Pons Valdez and Maling Estrella. Si Maling, pang sumo raw. A far cry from their old self.

oblater
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
kung ganun eh di gawin na lang halfcourt and laro ng mga oldies ;D

munkybear
10-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Who were the champions in the NCAA for the period 1975 to 1980? Can you provide us with the line-ups of these champion teams, including the coaches? Thank you very much from Chi Carpio, SBCHS 1975

BedanRoar
10-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Who were the champions in the NCAA for the period 1975 to 1980? Can you provide us with the line-ups of these champion teams, including the coaches? Thank you very much from Chi Carpio, SBCHS 1975

1975 - Ateneo
1976 - Ateneo
1977 - San Beda
1978- San Beda
1979 - Letran
1980 - No Champion as Tournament is aborted by BAP

danny
10-23-2008, 04:21 AM

We are getting a copy. Coach Fritz will lend his copy to us. We are just arranging it with abs-cbn. Hope we can show it prior to the Nov. 23 event.

Sweet!

Thanks in advance and more power!

danny
10-23-2008, 06:45 AM

1975 - Ateneo
1976 - Ateneo
1977 - San Beda
1978- San Beda
1979 - Letran
1980 - No Champion as Tournament is aborted by BAP

The battle for basketball supremacy between these two fabled squads was not just a 70's show. In fact, it* can actually be traced back to the 1920s. Historical revisionism and historical insomnia aside, the battle that span for several decades during the glory years of Pinoy basketball was for real. Just putting things in the proper context. Nothing more, nothing less.* ;)*

1920s

1927-28 San Beda College
1928-29 Ateneo de Manila

1930s

1931-32 Ateneo de Manila
1932-33 Ateneo de Manila
1933-34 Ateneo de Manila
1934-35 San Beda College
1935-36 San Beda College
1936-37 San Beda College
1937-38 Ateneo de Manila

1940s

1940-41 San Beda College
1941-42 Ateneo de Manila
1942-43 to 1946-47 World War II - not held

1950s

1951-52 San Beda College
1952-53 San Beda College
1953-54 Ateneo de Manila
1954-55 Ateneo de Manila
1955-56 San Beda College
1957-58 Ateneo de Manila
1958-59 Ateneo de Manila
1959-60 San Beda College

1960s

1961-62 Ateneo de Manila University
1962-63 No tournament - Suspended by the NCAA due to hooliganism
1969-70* * Ateneo de Manila University

1970s

1975-76 Ateneo de Manila University
1976-77 Ateneo de Manila University
1977-78 San Beda College
1978-79 San Beda College

easter
10-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Talaga palang dark ages ang 1990s sa Ateneo. It was the only decade na di kami nakatikim ng championship. :)

LION
10-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Sweet!

Great idea gameface_one! Hope this materializes.

Hope that someone can also record it and distribute dvd copies to those who are interested. ;D

BedanRoar
10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Talaga palang dark ages ang 1990s sa Ateneo. It was the only decade na di kami nakatikim ng championship.* :)

Kung Ateneo nabakante nung 90's. What more sa San Beda..... 28 Years!

MonL
10-23-2008, 08:56 AM
^ Napagod na rin kame sa pagsabi ng "Just wait till next year." ;D

Then again... here we go again, 3 years running. ;D

souljah_boy
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Sweet!

Great idea gameface_one! Hope this materializes.

Hope that someone can also record it and distribute dvd copies to those who are interested. ;D

Sir LION, I'm interested to see how the game of basketball was back then, especially that closed-door match between the Red and the Blue.

easter
10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Talaga palang dark ages ang 1990s sa Ateneo. It was the only decade na di kami nakatikim ng championship.* :)

Kung Ateneo nabakante nung 90's. What more sa San Beda..... 28 Years!

This hits home a lot for me kasi this was the decade when I was in college.* :D

I really wonder if it is possible for a media entity to pay NBN 4 to hunt down tapes of old NCAA and UAAP games. Usually Ch. 4 naman nagtetelecast nyan eh.

Kahit yung 1980's games and even the Silverstar UAAP games are almost non-existent at this time.

ponce
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Sir MonL! I read somewhere that Louie Brill could have been better than Hector Calma had he not suffered an injury. I was too young to watch the '77 NCAA finals and see Brill play. But I do remember watching him play for the RP team in the '82 Asian Youth Championships held in Manila. If I'm not mistaken, he was the skipper of that team and Calma was playing behind him. He was even the one who recieved the Championship trophy after we beat China. What's your take on him and how did he match up with Narvasa in the NCAA? Thanx!

MonL
10-23-2008, 10:56 PM

Sir MonL!* I read somewhere that Louie Brill could have been better than Hector Calma had he not suffered an injury.* I was too young to watch the '77 NCAA finals and see Brill play.* But I do remember watching him play for the RP team in the '82 Asian Youth Championships held in Manila.* If I'm not mistaken, he was the skipper of that team and Calma was playing behind him.* He was even the one who recieved the Championship trophy after we beat China.* What's your take on him and how did he match up with Narvasa in the NCAA?* Thanx!

He was athletic, shifty, quick on his feet and had a very good medium range jumper. He was a 2-guard who could play point in an emergency, and can be a swingman, such as Noel Guzman, the better shooter of the Twins . He wasn't matched up with Ogie Narvasa, IIRC. And the minutes he spent on court were quality minutes. He was a good player on a very deep team, and he was an exceptional second unit player coming into his second year.

When the Lions were defeated by Letran in the 12th game of what should have been a* San Beda sweep in 1978, he was the lone player who almost singlehandedly brought San Beda back, but the Lions' efforts fell short.*

In 1979, his third year, he and Frankie Lim combined to become a deadly backcourt 1-2 punch for the Lions. Though SBC had a bad year, people already started noticing him.* And the 1980 season, his last, was aborted, but he showed enough to be considered for national team duty.

I believe that his role in the 1982 Youth Team was to be a shooting guard.* The point guard position was Hector Calma's all along, as Ron Jacobs early on had noticed Hec's ability at running a team. In fact, IIRC, Jacobs at one time wondered why Hec was not in the Men's team at that time.

Louie Brill played in the MICAA for a while (Bax Jeans) and then faded to obscurity. But he was fun to watch when the watching was good.

danny
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
^^^

Thanks to MonL and many old school Bedans, despite our "absence" in the basketball scene for 28 long years, the Bedan lore and tradition remained alive. A Bedan grassroots movement all the way!*

History is always re-written by the victors. This time around, San Beda's role during the development up to the Golden Age of Pinoy Basketball will be reclaimed. I hope the historical revisionists can handle the truth from now on.* San Beda is back.

Let's enjoy this goodwill game between two schools with a proud history. Hype or no hype, this is another milestone between two former "enemies"* who will face each other, not to continue the past, but to move forward guided by a single benefactor.*

¡Ánimo!

P.S.

Old time Ateneans will surely remember this. The new Ateneans will find the last line pretty familiar.* Yup. That's ours.* ;)

Stand on the Grandstand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2eLp6HpeNg&eurl=http://animosanbeda.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/stand-on-the-grandstand/)

LION
10-24-2008, 03:54 PM

I found this site - www.Beda7882.com

Click on the Bedan Articles. There you will read about the 1977-78 Red Lions champion team complete with a team picture and the muse, Bing Pimentel.* *Kasama sa picture sina* Frankie Lim, Chito Loyzaga, Loui Brill, Elmer Reyes at JB Yango.

Si Fr. Paul de Vera athletic moderator na pala noon pa.* ;D*

MonL
10-24-2008, 09:14 PM

I found this site - www.Beda7882.com* *

Click on the Bedan Articles. There you will read about the 1977-78 Red Lions champion team complete with a team picture and the muse, Bing Pimentel.* *Kasama sa picture sina* Frankie Lim, Chito Loyzaga, Loui Brill, Elmer Reyes at JB Yango.

Si Fr. Paul de Vera athletic moderator na pala noon pa.* ;D*

That's the website of the batch of my youngest brother. In the "Then and Now" section are two Red Cub teammates and future UP Maroons: Duane (Tribal War) Salvatera and Joey Mendoza.

MonL
10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Got a text message from gameface_one to post this here:

"DEAR FRIENDS, The Ateneo vs San Beda match will not push through on November 23. Masyado po kasing busy ang 2 koponan sa dami ng torneo na kanilang sasalihan katulad ng PBL, PCCL at Jesuit school tourney in CDO on Dec 1-5.They need to focus. Till the next dream. Pls pass on to others and post also in gameface."

AnthonyServinio
10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Got a text message from gameface_one to post this here:

"DEAR FRIENDS, The Ateneo vs San Beda match will not push through on November 23. Masyado po kasing busy ang 2 koponan sa dami ng torneo na kanilang sasalihan katulad ng PBL, PCCL at Jesuit school tourney in CDO on Dec 1-5.They need to focus. Till the next dream. Pls pass on to others and post also in gameface."

* * *Aside from what was mentioned above, the Legends Team of both schools have yet to be organized and they would definitely need more time for their physical conditioning.

* * *Also, it is better to hold the game at the Araneta Coliseum instead of the announced ULTRA in order to accomodate the expected mammoth attendance.* Hopefully the Big Dome will be available by then.

ANIMO SAN BEDA
U.I.O.G.D.

MaD CoW
10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
This dream match-up would've lost significant heat already by the time the organizers and legends get their bearings in order, so the Ultra or The Arena in San Juan may suffice.* ;D

strife
10-27-2008, 09:00 PM
i beg to disagree, this is not like any other match-up. this is history.

bowtoBLUE
10-30-2008, 01:18 PM
i want to see ekwe go agaisnt al-hussaini and tiu goes against escobal. o well. maybe next year, but the allure and the hype will be gone.

MaD CoW
10-31-2008, 04:50 PM
i beg to disagree, this is not like any other match-up. this is history.

Bottomline is, this will still be an exhibition game.* Aside from pride and bragging rights, there is no official title at stake.* Both the Ateneo and San Beda MBB teams have already won their respective league titles, and no matter who wins the legends game, the outcome has been decided some 30 years ago.* It all makes for an interesting storyline to gain the interest of fans of both schools, but we all gotta admit that the hype of this matchup is fading the longer it takes to actually take place.* Of course, I'm not saying I won't be watching when it finally does!* ;D

The_Big_Cat
10-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Anyways, San Beda and Ateneo met early this year (April 13, 2008) in the FIL-OIL/FLYING-V Tournament.
The Red Lions edged out the Blue Eagles, 70-61.

Pong Escobal and Sam Ekwe led San Beda with 14 points each, Menor with 12 points and Hermida with 11 points. Chris Tiu was the lone Blue Eagle in double figures with 18 points.

There is the upcoming PCCL, baka magkita sila ulit. If they meet again there in that tournament, sayang din kasi wala na si Pong Escobal.

MaD CoW
10-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Such a pity that the we won't see these two meet with intact championship lineups. In the Fil-Oil/Flying V meeting, the Blue Eagles fell prey to the mighty Lions. But the Eagles were still grasping for form at the time, lacking the cohesion the rookies and vets displayed in S71's championship run.

Not saying the Blue Eagles are certain to exact revenge if this pushed through, but I'm sure they can make the game more interesting.

Oh well...

k20
11-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I was hoping kahit yung present Seniors Team of Ateneo and San Beda na lang will play one game and then as a curtain raiser, the eaglets and the Staglets. Let us forget about the legends as it looks like mahirap na talagang mabuo.

lekiboy
11-02-2008, 12:21 PM
the PCCL would be a good alternative - maybe we can close this thread for now- sa susunod na lang.

MaD CoW
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I was hoping kahit yung present Seniors Team of Ateneo and San Beda na lang will play one game and then as a curtain raiser, the eaglets and the Staglets. Let us forget about the legends as it looks like mahirap na talagang mabuo.

Perhaps you meant to say red cubs?* They may have missed this year's final 4 for the very first time, but I'm sure they'll put up a gallant fight.

I think organizers of the legends matchup were after nostalgia, especially since game 3 was played behind closed doors 30 years ago, albeit with TV coverage.* But I agree that the juniors matchup will make for an interesting alternative to the legends, kaya ituloy na to! There are no guarantees that they'll meet in the PCCL anyway.