PDA

View Full Version : La Sallites in the PBA

cub
10-13-2008, 12:00 AM
i just thought of creating a thread of former Green Archers who are now playing in the PBA. here are some of them:

Joseph Yeo - Sta. Lucia
Mike Cortez - San Miguel
Mac Cardona - Talk N Text
Renren Ritualo - Talk N Text
Don Allado - Talk N Text
Cholo Villanueva - Air21
Adonis Sta. Maria - Air21
Junjun Cabatu - Ginebra
JR Aquino - Ginebra
TY Tang - Rain or Shine
Ryan Arana - Rain or Shine
Mark Telan - Coke
Carlo Sharma - Red Bull
Willy Wilson - Ginebra (?)

post here all the news that has something to do with them. :)

cub
10-13-2008, 12:05 AM
DEFEND CHAMPS BREAK INTO WIN COLUMN WITH BIG WIN OVER TNT
Williams shows why he is reigning league MVP
Sunday, 12 October 2008
www.pba.ph

STA. Lucia Realty head coach Boyet Fernandez has a very good reason for making “Look for Kelly (Williams)” as his halftime order to his players.

With the reigning MVP leading the way, the rest of the defending champions followed and they had little trouble in fashioning out a runaway 117-96 win over erstwhile unbeaten co-leader Talk 'N Text Sunday in the KFC PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum.

The three-year pro scored 21 of his game-high 25 points in the second half, fuelling the Realtors' inexorable charge over the Tropang Texters, who had seemed invincible in notching convincing wins in their first two games.

“Even with Kelly struggling in the first half, I still told my players to look for him,” related Fernandez of his top player, who only shot 2-of-8 from the field in the first 24 minutes of play, one of his rare conversions a long jumper that was initially ruled as a three.

“I told them to focus on Kelly because as soon as he starts hitting his shots, then their defense has to collapse on him and it will free up our other guys.”

Williams also finished with 10 rebounds and five assists and drew immense support from his teammates, led by Nelbert Omolon's 24 points and seven rebounds, as the Realtors bounced back from a sorry 86-89 loss to Barangay Ginebra last Wednesday.

Mark Cardona had 19 points to lead TNT, which was thrown into defensive confusion in the face of SLR's Williams-led assault.

“It's nice to get a win against a very strong team like Talk 'N Text,” said Fernandez. “I think our defensive adjustment on their wings was the key.”

Fernandez was referring to the likes of Tropang Texters shooters Cardona, Jimmy Alapag, Renren Ritualo and rookie Jared Dillinger, who were left scraping for points in the face of the Realtors' quick-switching defense.

In contrast, four other SLR players scored in double figures, including Joseph Yeo, who notched 18 points, and Ryan Reyes, who scored his second straight double-double like Williams with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Talk 'N Text head coach Chot Reyes' charges actually scored more three-point shots 11-7, but six of those came in the first half, the same output by the Realtors in the second half.

Also, the Realtors' triples came at the more opportune times, like that by Yeo, which shattered the last deadlock at 63 and sparked a 12-4 run that gave them an eight-point lead going into the fourth period.

Clearly, however, it was Williams who ignited SLR's full resurgence with 12 third quarter points before ceding the stellar role to Omolon in the fourth quarter that had the latter scoring more than half of the entire TNT output of 29 points in the period with 15.

By then the tide was clearly in SLR's favor as TNT's shooters were often stifled and the team's sporadic points came mostly from inside the paint.

The Realtors, meanwhile, interspersed its set offense with some free-flowing stretches, resulting in several sprees that gave them as much as two 23-point leads, the last at 109-86, only 1:09 left.

“It was a matter of spacing and limiting their transition plays. But limiting their wingmen really helped us,” said Fernandez. (NCo)

The scores:

Sta. Lucia 117 - Williams 25, Omolon 24, Yeo 18, Gonzales 14, Reyes 13, Miranda 11, Espino 8, Daa 2, Aquino 2, Gregorio 0, Mendoza 0.

Talk ‘N Text 96 - Cardona 19, Castro 14, Alapag 14, Dillnger 11, Carey 10, Allado 10, Ritualo 8, De Ocampo 8, Aljamal 2, Reyes 0, Lao 0.

cub
10-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Cabatu son hits stride, 3s to lead Ginebra to win
10/12/2008 | 10:50 PM
MANILA, Philippines – Jun-Jun Cabatu may have proven himself worthy of a spot in the league’s most popular ball club.

Cabatu scored a career-high 23 points, including four three-pointers, to steer a depleted Barangay Ginebra team to a 101-92 win over Air21 in the KFC-Philippine Basketball Association Philippine Cup Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum.

Acquired in the offseason from Alaska, the six-foot-four center and son for former Ginebra player Sonny Cabatu, sparked a Kings scoring binge late in the third period that buoyed the Kings to their second straight win to open their All-Filipino campaign.

Cabatu’s three-pointer in the waning seconds of the third helped to cut an eight-point deficit to 77-76 entering the fourth quarter.

After a see-saw battle saw the Express gain the upper hand 91-90 on a Ranidel de Ocampo three-pointer, Cabatu answered back with his own rainbow bomb to give Ginebra a 93-91 lead it would never relinquish.

Jay-Jay Helterbrand stretched the lead to four on his own bucket then fed Cabatu for another trifecta that padded the Kings’ lead to 98-91 with 2:21 to go.

“Somebody needed to step up because we’re missing some of our players. I’m glad I could contribute to the team my father used to play for," Cabatu, who was four-of-seven from downtown, said.

Ginebra tied Alaska and Rain or Shine with similar 2-0 records atop the leaderboard.

Arwind Santos returned from one-game suspension and scored 19 points but his presence couldn’t stop the Express from losing their third straight.

Ranidel de Ocampo chipped in 15 and 11 rebounds for Air21 which made only nine-of-32 from three-point area. – GMANews.TV

jieun17
10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
i'm not sure if this is off tpoic but i just want to ask, who do you think is an over all better player ren ren ritualo or mac mac cardona?! ???

glock23
10-14-2008, 11:30 PM
hands down, Mac Cardona!

a_ron
10-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Manny Ramos?

cub
10-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Favis takes leave as Coke faces SLR
By Nelson Beltran
Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Meanwhile, San Miguel Beer has lost another major player in Mike Cortez who suffered an ACL tear on his right knee in their last game against Talk n Text Friday.

Cortez will undergo surgery today at St. Luke’s Hospital, the same day the Beermen go up against the Barangay Ginebra Kings.

The former La Salle sentinel, who has assumed the starting point guard chores at San Miguel, will be out for at least six months. He suffered the same injury on the other knee while with Alaska Milk two years ago.

Chris Calaguio has been reactivated from the reserve list to fill in the void left by Cortez.

At Barangay Ginebra, veteran point guard Johnny Abarrientos was reactivated to take over from JR Aquino.

Already depleted by injuries to Mark Caguioa, Billy Mamaril and Rafi Reavis, the Kings will also play the Beermen at 7:30 p.m. minus Ronald Tubid, who was suspended for one game for flagrant fouls on Rich Alvarez and Jojo Duncil Sunday.
Tubid was also fined P20,000 for his misconduct.

“We can’t afford to take them lightly though short-handed. I know that team very well,” said San Miguel coach Siot Tanquingcen.

The San Miguel mentor said adjustments will have to be made on the ouster of Cortez.

“Olsen (Racela) plays well coming off the bench. He’s no longer a spring chicken but he puts in quality minutes. We’ll see if we can keep him playing off-the-bench role,” said Tanquingcen.

Hearing a snap on his knee, Cortez was helped to their dugout in the third quarter of their 84-77 thrashing of the Tropang Texters. It was Magnolia’s third straight win following a losing season debut against Alaska Milk.

“We’re just four games into the season and we’re also saddled by injuries like Ginebra,” said Tanquingcen.

Danny Ildefonso underwent operation on both ankles in the off-season. Danny Seigle is out with a pinched nerve at the back.

GHRanger
10-22-2008, 10:35 AM
What happened to JR Aquino?

coreytaylor
10-22-2008, 11:01 AM
sori mods. wrong thread.

tigerman
10-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Sayang si Coolcat at nadali na naman ng acl injury. Still hoping that he can recover and show to everyone that he's not a disappointment.

He was actually my next favorite UAAP player after Cyrus Baguio during the early part of this decade.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

blue scorpion
11-03-2008, 09:07 PM
What happened to JR Aquino?

He was released from the team in favor of Johnny Abbarientos. I am not sure though.

cub
11-19-2008, 11:24 PM
last sunday, Mac Cardona had his new career high with 42 points versus Red Bull in which he says was a statement game for him(for not being included in the Philippine Team). earlier, Joseph Yeo also set his new career high with 38points versus SMB.

Bigdeal
01-25-2009, 07:46 AM
http://www.greenarchers.ph/green-archers-in-the-pba-taking-it-to-the-next-level/

Green Archers in the PBA - Taking it to the next level