PDA

View Full Version : PCCL Controversy: Automatic Wildcard Slot for UC, an Unfair Political Favor?

thadzonline
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm a bit confused about the real format for the PCCL zonals.

In the following powerpoint presentation, it mentioned that there are no wildcard entries for the zone 3 games:

http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/CCL%20FINAL%20-%2010Apr08.ppt

In a more recent news article, there was mention that UC will be a zone 3 wildcard in Ormoc:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/10/11/sports/uv.shoots.for.cesafi.juniors.crown.html

the slot for a school team from the host team seem to be taken away. AMA Computer Learning Center Ormoc Titans qualified as Region 6 champions and not entered as representative of host city Ormoc.

My questions are:
1. What is the final format of the zonals?(since it is obvious that changes were introduced compared to the one in the PPT link I posted above)

2. Wildcard entries from Manila have to go through a qualifying round to determine wildcard entries in the different zones. Isn't it unfair to them that UC was afforded an automatic wildcard slot without fighting for it while they are not?

3. How about non-aligned schools like Cebu's ACT Cyberknights and SIT Skyblazers? Seems like they were left out, and no chance to even get in as a wildcard. ACT has proven it can keep up with the top CeSAFI schools, they'd definitely rank within the top 6 college teams in Cebu the others being UV, USJ-R, USC, UC and SWU. At least they deserve a chance.

4. In the past there were complaints of the PCCL draw not being fair and favors were given to those who had the right connections. It seems like this is happening again and it does not look good from a fairness perspective.

5. It's also pretty unfair for CeSAFI to have 2 teams playing in 1 zone. Sana sa zone 1 or 2 na lang pinasok ang UC.

6. It is also unfair for USJ-R to be challenged again by a team they have eliminated in the CeSAFI semifinals. IT was to our understanding already that whoever makes it through the CeSAFI finals earn automatic berths in the zonals at least and the CeSAFI champs an automatic PCCL slot. So basically, USJ-R earned that zonals right already by beating UC in the CeSAFI semis. Now USJ-R will have to beat them again to get to the Sweet 16. Isn't that "double jeopardy"?

7. This seems like an unfair political favor granted to UC, and it will not help the image of the PCCL in the long run

nastrans
10-11-2008, 11:23 PM
2. Wildcard entries from Manila have to go through a qualifying round to determine wildcard entries in the different zones. Isn't it unfair to them that UC was afforded an automatic wildcard slot without fighting for it while they are not?

The Manila-based teams were given seven of the eight outright Sweet 16 spots so they dont need to complain more about the tournament wont be legit if these Manila teams would be given further automatic wildcard slots. And besides, the Manila teams have been given a lot of favors in the past editions of the PCCL.

As for the rest, all we can say now is that there are flaws within the format, they haven't release much information while few changes made occurence without explanation.

thadzonline
10-11-2008, 11:25 PM
well at least ACT and SIT in Cebu should have been given that outside chance as well

D_I_A
10-12-2008, 02:49 PM
well at least ACT and SIT in Cebu should have been given that outside chance as well

i agree, or i would love seeing those teams in Bacolod, Dumaguete, Iloilo, Davao, Zamboanga or Northern teams given more slots. baka nga mga 7-10 teams from NCR ang makapasok niyan dahil sa zonals.

sana ayusin din ang Wildcard system.

Sir Thadz, bakit nga pala di kasali ang ACT and SIT sa CESAFI, do they have their own league in CEBU? anong schools ka-bracket nila? Are they with the VAAA?

thadzonline
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
yung ACT snd SIT are with the VAAA..reason why di sila makapasok sa CeSAFi is because of a moratorium on new memberships that ends 2010

sir_hodge
10-13-2008, 01:13 AM
I am here from Ormoc... AMA Titans was the Champion, followed by Western Leyte College Mustangs... they declined the Wild Card entry that is supposed to be for them, even the 3rd team from Ormoc begged off... maybe that's why they opted for UC as the wild card entry for Zone 3...

thadzonline
10-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Sir_hodge, any reason given to refuse such an opportunity? EVSU ba yung 3rd placer diyan?

D_I_A
10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
I am here from Ormoc... AMA Titans was the Champion, followed by Western Leyte College Mustangs... they declined the Wild Card entry that is supposed to be for them, even the 3rd team from Ormoc begged off... maybe that's why they opted for UC as the wild card entry for Zone 3...

bakit umayaw sir hodge? sayang ang opportunity na makalaro ng mga competitive teams

thadzonline
10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Hindi naman siguro mag be-beg-off ang WLC kung yung rason lang ay sasali lang sila sa VAAA, kasi ganun din naman ang AMA, BIT-IC and USC.

h2o
10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
am too from Ormoc, PCCL given Ormoc league the wild card as being the host league for the Zonal game and supposed to be WLC is the bearer for it but during the OCSSO (Ormoc League) till PCCL Regional the WLC suffers more injuries from their players were even the school president thinks would be better for their players to have rest, while the EVSU of Ormoc cannot affirm to carry for the slot since the school that time facing internal problem between management and students that in which time for the communication to PCCL for the immediate team scheduling must be in place. So, fortunate to the CeSAFI league to have their other team (UC) included in Zone Area 3 Game.