PDA

View Full Version : Red Warriors in the Off-Season

Pages : [1] 2 3

Joescoundrel
10-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Is UE competing in any zonal to make the PCCL?

Will there be a UE team in the Fr Martin Open Division commencing this November?

Joescoundrel
10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Hans Thiele and Marcy Arellano are apparently focusing more on their PBL stints than on their team commitments to UE.

coreytaylor
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
^^^ ain't nothing much they can do with their school..their graduating anyway

chez_moi
10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Possible rookies for season 72

Acibar, Kenneth 6'3

Alabanza, John Ray 6'5

Mendoza, Jaypee 6'3

totoo ba sinusuyo ng ue si "jawo" para mag coach? tsikah!!!

Joescoundrel
10-12-2008, 10:22 AM
^ Ken Acibar is now in his second year of B Team duty and saw action for UE in the Nike and Fil-Oil and proved to be a pretty good 4 and 5 coming off the bench. He was long, lean and athletic, kind of like a poor man's Hans Thiele. This former Adamson Baby Falcon I felt should have been on this season's lineup more than say John Noble or Jairold Flores since his size would have provided insurance in the frontline for Coach Dindo Pumaren.

John Alabanza would have made a good rotation player at the 5 and 4 spots for UE. He more than held his own against the more experienced competition in the Nike and Fil-Oil and was sometimes a starter alongside Elmer Espiritu. He played the right box pretty well, went strong after every rebound, blocked a few shots and even displayed a face-up jumper from 15-16 feet. Both Acibar and Alabanza are in the 6'5" range.

Is this JP Mendoza the JOSEPH Mendoza who was Jairold Flores's teammate from the RP Youth Team? Isn't he with UAAP lineup of Lasalle already?

gabriel
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
^ Ken Acibar is now in his second year of B Team duty and saw action for UE in the Nike and Fil-Oil and proved to be a pretty good 4 and 5 coming off the bench. He was long, lean and athletic, kind of like a poor man's Hans Thiele. This former Adamson Baby Falcon I felt should have been on this season's lineup more than say John Noble or Jairold Flores since his size would have provided insurance in the frontline for Coach Dindo Pumaren.

John Alabanza would have made a good rotation player at the 5 and 4 spots for UE. He more than held his own against the more experienced competition in the Nike and Fil-Oil and was sometimes a starter alongside Elmer Espiritu. He played the right box pretty well, went strong after every rebound, blocked a few shots and even displayed a face-up jumper from 15-16 feet. Both Acibar and Alabanza are in the 6'5" range.

Is this JP Mendoza the JOSEPH Mendoza who was Jairold Flores's teammate from the RP Youth Team? Isn't he with UAAP lineup of Lasalle already?

i agree, acibar would have added a little more ceiling in our lineup. i feel he deserved to be our 16th player this year, instead of Jairold.

yes, he is a member of our RP-Youth team. but i think, you are referring to Mark Jovet Mendoza of DLSU (formerly of NU). while Jaypee Mendoza is from Tarlac State Univ.

Wang-Bu
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Medyo dispalinghado ang lineup natin para sa PCCL mga katoto at ilan sa mga bata natin ay mas pinili na sumabak muna sa PBL at maghanap-buhay, alam naman natin lahat gaano kahirap ang pera ngayon lalo para sa ating mga taga-Quiapo. Kung ano't ano pa man tayo naman ay lalahok pa din sa PCCL at malamang makita natin sina Acibar at Alabanza. Alam namin na dapat kung sino na-lineup nung UAAP siya rin ang dapat na lineup sa PCCL pero humingi kami ng dispensa mula kina Sir Rey Gamboa na sana naman mapaunlakan.

gabriel
10-15-2008, 10:02 AM
ok na din kahit wala yung ibang mainstays, para makalaro na sila Acibar, and Alabanza.

chez_moi
10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Sir Wang-bu, may balita ba kayo sa coach natin kung papalitan? Medyo ma-ugong ngayon sa UE campus saka sa mga forums na papalitan daw.

Schortsanitis
10-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I think it was this JP Mendoza who played a couple of good games in the last FIBA-Asia U18 Youth Tournaments. If so, he is a player to watch in the UAAP.

bchoter
10-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Before UE or the RPYT coaching staff heard of Jairold Flores coach Pido was already in contact with him. If UE relegated him to the bench UST would have been happy to pick him up for a slot at Team A.

gabriel
10-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Before UE or the RPYT coaching staff heard of Jairold Flores coach Pido was already in contact with him. If UE relegated him to the bench UST would have been happy to pick him up for a slot at Team A.

oh i see ;D thanks for the info

pokpok
10-23-2008, 01:42 AM
rebulding time na naman tayo..... KAINIP!!!!

bossman
10-23-2008, 03:51 PM
May names na ba ng potential recruits for next season?

sa_pula
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
nabasa ko sa forum ng ue,according to llagas si thiele at marcy lang daw ang mawawala next season..

The_Big_Cat
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
nabasa ko sa forum ng ue,according to llagas si thiele at marcy lang daw ang mawawala next season..

eh yung coach?

sa_pula
10-28-2008, 02:58 PM
^^ wala naman balita kung papalitan si coach..malamang sya pa rin.

Joescoundrel
10-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Elmer Espiritu is still not fully decided whether or not he will play in Season 72. As far as I can recall Season 71 should be his last season of eligibility in the UAAP since he is only a year younger than Mark Borboran and they came in at the same time in the 2005-2006 season I believe. With Hans Thiele and Marcy Arellano also having used up their eligibility, and no clear big-name recruits on the horizon, the Warriors look hard-pressed to so much as make noise in Season 72.

That means Paul Lee and James Martinez will team with Pari Llagas to try and keep UE competitive throughout the off-season campaigns and well into Season 72. While these three may be legit UAAP-level stars they are not enough to keep the Warriors winning at a consistently high level. The likes of Val Acuna, Lucas Tagarda, Jairold Flores, John Noble, Erwin Duran and perhaps John Alabanza and Ken Acibar need to work double time in the off-season to be able to step up in Season 72. Duran (6'4" power forward), Alabanza (6'5" center-forward) and Acibar (6'5" forward-center) will be key because UE will miss the shotblocking of Espiritu, and Llagas cannot tend to both boards by himself. Noble is very skilled but needs to figure out if he is a 3, a 4 or a 5, although at just nearly 6'3" and without the springs of Espiritu he'd better work on his jump shot and handles because he isn't going to be a fulltime 4 or 5 in the UAAP unless he grows another two inches or so.

While Martinez and Lee will get the bulk of the minutes at the peimeter, Acuna, the 6'2" swingman who has teased for the last two summers with his intriguing potential, needs to emerge. Acuna has the height, the athleticism and the trigger to be a successful UAAP swingman, and his defense if underrated. But for some strange reason he was languishing in head coach Dindo Pumaren's doghouse in Season 71 and never had the opportunity to get his game going. This is strange considering he did well as a part-time starter all throughout the summer tournaments displaying his perimeter shot off the pass or on his own, slashing from the high post or off the high pick and roll, and even a near-Bon Custodio-like pull-up jumper.

As for Dindo Pumaren, his job is secure for now, unless of course Lawrence Tiongson is serious about getting a UAAP head coaching job. As of now Tiongson does not seem interested in such a position, especially with a rebuilding team like UE. He has not won much in the PBL and he does not seem inclined to be in another non-winning situation, i.e. if he takes any UAAP job it would be for a winning program.

sa_pula
10-30-2008, 02:31 PM
dindo na lang kesa tiongson ;D hindi nga sya makapasok ng F4 sa pbl..uaap pa kaya

bchoter
10-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Tiongson is the coach of Allied Bank in the Inter Bank di ba. And he allows Bong Tan 63.2 3-point attempts per game.

sa_pula
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
..balita ko si lucio tan na ang magtatake over ng position ni P.O Domingo..hindi nya naman siguro hahayaang magealam anak nya sa palakaran ni coach dindo.. ::)

Joescoundrel
11-02-2008, 08:56 AM
^ My goodness, I should catch up on old times with Mrs Cortez and the other admin from UE, all this time I thought the venerable Panfilo O Domingo had passed on...

gabriel
11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
i really feel acuña can play major minutes for the warriors, with his 6'3 height, he can play the shooting guard position, which can create major problems for other teams. for me, he's a mark borboran in the making, tall and can shoot from beyond the arc.

sa_pula
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
sayang nga si acuna..mauubos yung playing years nya sa ue na hindi nakakapaglaro...

sino nga pala nanalo sa ue vs eac kanina?

Regular Grey
11-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Panalo ang UE. Tambak ang EAC. Si Martines ang gumawa.

Joescoundrel
11-05-2008, 08:32 AM
University of the East, University of Luzon and Arellano U hurdled their respective rivals yesterday to move a win away from sealing their berths in the “Sweet 16” of the 2008 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Makati Coliseum.

The Warriors rode on a big run down the stretch to outlast the upset-conscious Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals, 92-74, while Univ. of Luzon cagers, the Region II titlists, smothered the Lyceum-Batangas side, 79-62.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, showed too much class and power against the Baguio City-based St. Louis U quintet, 82-36.

The victories thus moved the three teams closer to the tournament proper where they would join the first eight qualifiers – all champions in their respective leagues headed by UAAP’s Ateneo and NCAA’s San Beda.

The winner in the national finals will gain a berth in the 2009 Universiade in Serbia.

The tournament, sponsored by Smart, PLDT, KFC, Flying V, Fil-Oil and The Philippine STAR, is also putting up P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 in scholarship grants with an extra P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 in cash for the first, second and third placers, respectively, courtesy of telecommunications main man Manny V. Pangilinan.

UE coach Dindo Pumaren, whose wards need to beat St. Claire on Thursday to clinch a Sweet 16 spot, said he’s satisfied with the win considering they have yet to practice as a team since the conclusion of the UAAP cage season.

“To tell you honestly, this is the first time we played as a team since the UAAP,” said Pumaren, who is missing the services of Marcy Arellano (no-show) and Hans Thiele (fractured foot).

Pari Llagas, James Martinez, Elmer Espiritu and Raffy Reyes stepped up in the absence of Arellano and Thiele by firing 23, 19, 13 and 10 points, respectively.

ewe_rach
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
sayang nga si acuna..mauubos yung playing years nya sa ue na hindi nakakapaglaro...

I share the same sentiment. Ewan ko bakit nagbubutas na lang siya lagi ng bangko sa tutuusin magaling naman siya at mapakikinabangan. :-\

sa_pula
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
sino si monteclaro?..na recruit daw sya ng ue? ..any info?

chez_moi
11-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Panalo tayo kahapon sa St. Claire, tinambakan! Hehehehehe! May ibubuga naman pala itong si Lucas Tagarda na kumana ng 19 points, makaya kaya nila ang UV Lancers ni Greg Slaughter na 6'11? Malalaman natin kung kaya pa kahit wala na si Marcy at Hans, medyo may kalakasan ang CESAFI Champs.

tamarawz_14
11-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Panalo tayo kahapon sa St. Claire, tinambakan! Hehehehehe! May ibubuga naman pala itong si Lucas Tagarda na kumana ng 19 points, makaya kaya nila ang UV Lancers ni Greg Slaughter na 6'11? Malalaman natin kung kaya pa kahit wala na si Marcy at Hans, medyo may kalakasan ang CESAFI Champs.

UE will win this one against UV..... baka press pa lang wala na sila magawa

ghost09
11-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Baka Monteclaro of San Beda?

nastrans
11-08-2008, 04:09 PM

Wag magsabi ng tapos. Mukhang mahihirapan ang UE sa UV kahit manalo sila.

UE will win this one against UV..... baka press pa lang wala na sila magawa

sa_pula
11-12-2008, 01:49 PM

I share the same sentiment. Ewan ko bakit nagbubutas na lang siya lagi ng bangko sa tutuusin magaling naman siya at mapakikinabangan. :-\

speaking of acuna naka 11 points pala sya kahapon againts hapee ..sabi ko na nga ba may ibubuga naman tong player na to..

gfy
11-13-2008, 08:22 AM
^ He's a good outside shooter (3 pointers). But UE people said he didn't have that confidence in the UAAP unlike in the off-season leagues.

mighty_lion
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM

Ryan Monteclaro is a batchmate of Nico Salva and LA Revilla. 5'7 PG and played as back up point guard behind LA.

pablohoney
11-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Ryan Monteclaro is a batchmate of Nico Salva and LA Revilla. 5'7 PG and played as back up point guard behind LA.

I was trying to "digest" the posts here, but I got distracted with Sir Might Lion's avatar. ;D
Sorry OT.

Will Parry (?) Llagas still eligible for Season 72?

pokpok
11-14-2008, 05:05 AM
hay naku... balewala tong mga off season leagues na to... still practice ... pero UAAP dapat ang dapat pagtuunan ng pansin,,, tagalog na tagalog yan ha.. still GO UE!!!

sa_pula
11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
^ He's a good outside shooter (3 pointers). But UE people said he didn't have that confidence in the UAAP unlike in the off-season leagues.

Buong UE team yata ganyan sabog ang laro pagdating sa UAAP..Pero ganda ng pinapakita ni p.LEE sa PBL parang hindi rookie..

Yup sya yata..nasa team b daw sya at baka masama na sa team A next season....Ano ng nangyari kay jaypee mendoza?Bakit wala pa rin sya sa line up ng UE sa pccL?..ang sabi naka enroll na daw to sa UE kahit pa man naglalaro pa sya sa RPYT..sayang kung mawawala to sa UE.

gabriel
11-15-2008, 12:25 PM
i think, Acuña needs more playing time next season. he's longest stint this season, was during the blowout game against UP. but most of the time, bangko s'ya! kailangan isama na s'ya sa rotation, or else his height and talent will go to waste, sayang naman.

we have a lot of guards, we need big men for next year. they should include Alabanza, Acibar, Jaypee Mendoza first, the small guys can join in 2010.

Joescoundrel
11-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Val Acuna had a great game today for the UE-reinforced Bacchus Energy Drink Kings. Unfortunately they lost a close game to the Toyota Otis Sparks 91-86. Acuna scored 10 points in the first period but was inexplicably forgotten on the bench for close to a quarter and a half. By the time he returned he kept up on the firing end but also fell into a mess of turnovers when the lead was swinging back and fourth early in the fourth period.

sa_pula
11-21-2008, 12:48 AM
mukhang naniniwala na ko sa kuya kong may naitatago ngang galing tong si acuna.wala lang talaga playing time sana naman mapansin na sya ni coach dindo.buti na lang nakapaglaro sya sa PBL malaking tulong sa kanya para magkaroon ng kumpiyansa kung totoo man yung sinabi ni sir gfy.malaking paghahanda yan para sa next uaap season..parang second coming ni canezares tong si acuna, tingin ko mas may igagaling pa itong batang to.

Joescoundrel
11-21-2008, 08:21 AM
You have to wonder about coaches and players sometimes. Take the case of Val Acuna.

Here is a guy at least 6'2" and 175 pounds. He has the typical basketball body: long and lean, sinewy limbs, outsize hands, wiry strong. He's athletic enough as a runner and leaper at the perimeter positions of 2 and 3. He's strong enough and has enough of a tough guy mentality to play spot minutes as a hybrid 4 in a small lineup to run and gun and play end to end defense. He can slash, he can shoot, he can pass, he rebounds, he defends. He does all of this against the older and tougher competition of the PBL, some of whom are even the so-called superstars of the UAAP.

So why indeed did he not get more than a cup of coffee from Coach Dindo Pumaren in Season 71? Acuna could have easily been the chief reliever for Paul Lee, another sort-of tall swingman at maybe 6'1" and 180 pounds. Yet Pumaren decided to go with his "seven dwarfs" approach of using the smallish guards. He starts with 5'7" James Martinez and 5'10" Marcy Arellano and then rotates 5'7" Rudy Linganay, 5'9" Raffy Reyes and 5'10" Lucas Tagarda. All this while he squeezes everything out of Lee and keeps Acuna on the bench.

How could Acuna make the lineup and yet not get playing time? He was no worse than a legitimate starter in the summer tournaments. He displayed a superb overall game and didn't make too many mistakes. He played within the system and took care of the ball. Yet come the UAAP season he was barely stirring on the pines. When he was brought in he saw spot minutes only and was taken out as soon as a turnover happened, whether or not it was his error. He never got into a rhythm at all.

Now he's doing great in the PBL thus far. Will he once again be riding the pines next season?

bchoter
11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Dindo's Season 72 hindsight is now happening. I hope it's 20/20 for him becuase I, too, felt, after watching the S71 pre-seasons, that he is the Warrior to watch (Lee is a known commodity). At the very least, he could have extended the rotation. Another player who's gone out of favor is Toto Bandaying who used to be in the fringes of being a core player in S70. But, at least, in a couple of occassions Linganay has proven himself.

The_Big_Cat
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Hans Thiele and Toto Bandaying are already 24 years old. Elmer Espiritu is only 23 while Val Acuna and Marcy Arellano are both 22 years old.

Si Elmer babalik pa ba next year?

dioning
11-21-2008, 08:32 PM
i-tsugi nalang si dindo
ipalit nila si jawo
kayang kaya ni lucio sweldohan si big j
barya lang sa kanya yan
JAWORSKI! JAWORSKI! JAWORSKI!

ewe_rach
11-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Ito rin ang lagi kong napupuna kay Coach Dindo. Bakit hindi iababad si Acuña gayung hindi naman siya magkakaroon
ng problemang pumasok sa loob o tumira sa labas.

Hay Dindo... :-\

gabriel
11-22-2008, 02:45 AM
i like what joe said "Seven Dwarfs" ;D last i heard, babalik pa si Elmer, and si Llagas din.

chez_moi
11-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Panalo tayo sa PCCL, DLSU naman sunod..... Tira UE!

Joescoundrel
11-28-2008, 10:37 AM
University of the East summoned the warrior within to outlast Cebu powerhouse University of the Visayas 68-62 in the ongoing Fil Oil Flying V Sweet 16 tournament at the Arena.

Down for most of the first half, the Red Warriors looked like they would suffer the ignominy of being the only Metro Manila team not to advance to the Elite 8 level. Playing shorthanded, UE struggled for form against the hardy Green Lancers. Forward Hans Thiele, swingman Val Acuna and guard Marcy Arellano were all conspicuous by their absence. Arellano had a conflict in schedule as he had a PBL game that same time with Burger King. Thiele had an ankle sprain while Acuna was also nursing a niggling little injury. Both Thiele and Acuna however were in the stands right behind the UE bench cheering on their team.

Pointguard Chris Diputado, guard Von Lanete and swingman Harold Cincoflores kicked into high gear early for the Green Lancers of head coach Elmer Cabahug. With the trio attacking with gusto on transition and gang-rebounding inside, UV went up by as much as 18-12 early in the second period. 6-foot-11 center Greg Slaughter was not getting much done in the first half but he was taking up a lot of space and making life miserable for the relatively smaller UE frontline of Elmer Espiritu and Pari Llagas.

Slaughter showed some signs of life late in the first half hitting a couple of baskets off conservative pivots in the low blocks against Llagas to put UV on top 30-29 at the lemon time break.

In the pivotal third period UE finally came alive as Raffy Reyes, Paul Zamar and Lucas Tagarda went to work. Tagarda hit a three-pointer while Reyes and Zamar made off with transition layups that gave the Red Warriors a 39-33 lead. UV fought back with Slaughter down low and forward Rich Dennison working the baseline jumpers to come within 39-37. But the UE perimeter had finally come to life even as Espiritu's incredible athleticism began to wear Slaughter down.

With the game on the line and neither team seemingly in a mood to give, Tagarda hit another three-pointer, followed that with a transition layup off his own steal, then secured a tough offensive rebound against 6-foot-5 power forward Adrian Lao in the last two and a half minutes as UV threatened to steal the game. In the end steadier freethrow shooting sealed the win for UE with James Martinez and Tagarda at the line.

Tagarda had 13 points while Espiritu had 13 of his own to go with 19 huge rebounds against the much-bigger UV frontline; he also had three blocks including two on Slaughter.

Lao led UV with 17 points and 10 rebounds while Slaughter had 16 points, 15 boards and five rejections of his own.

sa_pula
11-28-2008, 07:32 PM
...again BANGKO si acuna..

Semenelin
11-28-2008, 11:10 PM
bangko? bakit sabi wla sa venue si thile, marcy, at acuna?

The_Big_Cat
11-29-2008, 10:01 AM

Yes wala silang tatlo. Perhaps sinasanay na ni Dindo ang UE without those 3 guys for next year.

sa_pula
11-29-2008, 01:55 PM

Yes wala silang tatlo. Perhaps sinasanay na ni Dindo ang UE without those 3 guys for next year.

hindi ba si acuna yung naka number 12 last game? mawawala naba si acuna next year?alam ko incoming 3rd year pa lang sya..tska sanay naman team na wala sya,wala nga sya playing time last season ;D

Growling.Fish
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Resign na raw si Dindo?

m_14
12-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Resign na raw si Dindo?

totoo ba yan?? sino papalit??

sa_pula
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
mukhang goodbye dindo hello tiongson na ang mga naka pula!..teka pano na si jaypee mendoza nyan?e diba regalo nga ni kuya yon kay dindo?

batangueño
12-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Eagles, Archers reach PCCL Final 4
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer (http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20081201-175398/Eagles-Archers-reach-PCCL-Final-4)
First Posted 05:44:00 12/01/2008

x x x

The Blue Eagles’ bitter rivals kept in step as the De La Salle University Green Archers triumphed over University of the East, 75-72.

JV Casio buried nine of his 11 points in the final period, including three free throws in the last 26 seconds that sealed the Archers’ semifinal stint.

Right after the game, Dindo Pumaren bid goodbye to his Warriors after a five-year tenure. He steered the Recto-based squad to five straight Final Four appearances and one championship stint in the UAAP.

The Archers will go up next against the winner between three-time NCAA champion San Beda College and Arellano University. The Eagles will take on the winner of the game between Far Eastern University and Letran College on Wednesday.

* To Ms. Payo: It should be one Finals appearance, not one championship stint. ::)

So, mukhang si* Lawrence Tiongson na nga ba ang papalit sa pwesto ni Dindo Pumaren o baka may iba pang nililigawan si Bong Tan? ;D

easter
12-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Dindo fell short of a UAAP title but I still think he isl be a good coach and will be better in the years ahead.

it would be mighty interesting for him to go to the NCAA. I would like to see how effective the Pumaren press will be in the NCAA.

Kid Cubao
12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
* To Ms. Payo: It should be one Finals appearance, not one championship stint. ::)

batangueno, ano ba sa tingin mo ang ibig sabihin ng championship stint? malamang nalito ka na naman. what it means is that you earned one of only two berths vying for the championship, kaya pareho lang ang "finals appearance" at "championship stint."

sa_pula
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Kung si chiongson din lang ang ipapalit mukhang wala ng pagasa ue sa F4 next season.. :'( ok pa siguro si codinera na dugong warriors kesa jan ke chiongson.

gabriel
12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/12/02/pumaren-ends-five-year-coaching-tenure-at-ue/

Pumaren ends five-year coaching tenure at UE
by Christian Soler
368 Views | 12 Comments

UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST head coach Dindo Pumaren has resigned from his post after five years at the helm.
According to reliable insiders, Pumaren made his resignation official after his squad’s 75-72 loss to the De La Salle Green Archers in the quarterfinals of the Philippine Collegiate Championship last Sunday, November 30. Sources close to the coach said he was “disappointed” not to have given the UE community a championship despite leading them to a Final Four appearance in each of his five seasons in charge.

The same insiders, however, could not confirm if the school’s management has accepted Pumaren’s resignation. They also said that candidates in the running to take the UE job include alumni Allan Caidic and Jerry Codiñera, as well as Lawrence Chiongson, current head coach of Bacchus Energy in the Philippine Basketball League, which is incidentally managed by UE’s top brass.

Pumaren, the younger brother of De La Salle mentor Franz, compiled a 49-27 win-loss record in the UAAP, or a winning percentage of .645. The highlight of his coaching career – and perhaps lowlight – came in 2007, when he steered the Red Warriors to a 14-game, elimination round sweep of the UAAP, which was followed by a two-game championship round exit care of DLSU.

Along the way, Pumaren has helped produce top-caliber and future professional basketball players in KG Canaleta, Paolo Hubalde, RJ Masbang, Mark Borboran, Bon-Bon Custodio and Kelvin Gregorio, while molding the careers and playing styles of Marcy Arellano, Elmer Espiritu, James Martinez and Hans Thiele, among others.

batangueño
12-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Kung si chiongson din lang ang ipapalit mukhang wala ng pagasa ue sa F4 next season.. :'(* ok pa siguro si codinera na dugong warriors kesa jan ke chiongson.

Pare, hayaan niyo na muna sa amin si Coach Jerry. Kailangan namin ng big man coach sa Diliman eh. :D

Si Allan Caidic ba, anong prospect(s) sa kanya as a potential UE head coach?

But then, sayang talaga si Dindo. I still think he is one of the best tacticians around. Talaga lang malas kasi palaging kinakapos. :(

However, ewan ko lang pero kung "palakasan din lang ng kapit" ang pag-uusapan, malamang si Chiongson na ang kapalit ni Dindo sa pwesto.

-----------

Kid Cubao: Bossing, nalito nga ako. I stand myself corrected. Thanks. :)

batangueño
12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Dindo Pumaren leaves UE Warriors
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer (http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20081202-175593/Dindo-Pumaren-leaves-UE-Warriors)
First Posted 05:30:00 12/02/2008

MANILA, Philippines—He bowed out just as his squad made its exit.

The University of the East Warriors came out of their dugout in tears Sunday not because of their narrow loss to the De La Salle University Green Archers in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League’s Filoil-Flying V “Sweet 16” Final Challenge.

The Warriors mourned the shock departure of coach Dindo Pumaren.

After manning the UE bench for five seasons, Pumaren officially bid goodbye to the perennial UAAP title contender, citing other future plans.

“I already resigned two days after our UAAP Final Four game, but [UE’s representative to the UAAP board Carmelita] Mateo requested that I continue coaching the team in the PCCL,” Pumaren told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net).

“I decided to stay on, but I now have (to pursue) other personal plans.”

Pumaren’s announcement came minutes after his older brother Franz’s Green Archers pulled off a 75-72 escape over the Warriors in the PCCL quarterfinals, Eliminating UE from the tournament.

Under Dindo, the Warriors reached the UAAP finals for the first time in two decades following a phenomenal 14-0 sweep of the elimination round last year.

But Franz and his multi-titled crew wound up stunning them for the 2007 men’s basketball title.

Pumaren, a former star Purefoods point guard in the PBA, debuted as collegiate coach in 2004, taking over a UE squad reeling from the departure of standouts James Yap and Paul Artadi.

The 43-year-old mentor still managed to steer the ragtag squad to a Final Four stint and led the Warriors to the semifinals in the next four years.

The Warriors finished fourth this season. “We had good runs and of course heartaches, but overall, it was a good learning experience,” said Pumaren.

The_Big_Cat
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
But does Allan Caidic have what it takes to coach these kids?
I don't think Allan would want to start with a rebuilding team next season.
Probably, Lawrence is on top of UE's list.

nicksy
12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
RP youth team Maybe?

gabriel
12-02-2008, 02:34 PM
if budget permits, get them both ;D (Caidic and Codiñera), the other as assistant, plus Ravena. para everybody happy ;D

gabriel
12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
and retain manong derrek as consultant, para all-UE ang coaching staff ;D

chez_moi
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Si Manong na lang ang ipalit, dugong UE pa ;D

batangueño
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
I am just curious. Aside from Marcy Arellano, who else would graduate from UE's roster this year? How much would be the extent of UE's rebuilding next year? Would that rebuilding have any effect whatsoever on UE's chances of making it to the Final Four in Season 72?

Also, why is it that some here and even in other forums are airing their reservations on the idea of having Chiongson replacing Dindo? Is there something really wrong with the way Chiongson handles a basketball team?

dioning
12-02-2008, 04:48 PM
mahina yan si tiongson
pang inter-color lang ang kalibre

The_Big_Cat
12-02-2008, 04:55 PM
A Bong Ravena and Jolly Escobar tandem in UE's coaching staff would also be nice to see.
They were both part of that UE team that reached the 1991 Finals.

oca
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Ngayong magpapalit ng coach ang UE, pwede bang palitan na rin yung mga career employees ng UE na may kinalaman sa pagpapatakbo ng team? Particularly those who have been there for the past 10 years or so.

Baka may malas dyan!

Pa feng sui niyo na rin ang PE Bldg.

Sa dami ng coaches na dumaan sa UE since its last UAAP championship, sa dami ng magagaling na players na naglaro para sa UE this recent years, sa palagay ko, may isa o dalawang tao ang nagdadala ng malas. Mga taong hindi coach at hindi player.

dioning
12-02-2008, 06:43 PM
di siguro kukunin coach ng ue si caidic
he is identified with smb e
ue is tan and tan is asia brewery

baka (haka haka lang ito) si joe lipa ang kunin
kahit na bokya pa ang record niya sa up
kasi mga taga up din ang admin sa ue
yun presidente galing yan up

glock23
12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Ngayong magpapalit ng coach ang UE, pwede bang palitan na rin yung mga career employees ng UE na may kinalaman sa pagpapatakbo ng team? Particularly those who have been there for the past 10 years or so.

Baka may malas dyan!

Pa feng sui niyo na rin ang PE Bldg.

Sa dami ng coaches na dumaan sa UE since its last UAAP championship, sa dami ng magagaling na players na naglaro para sa UE this recent years, sa palagay ko, may isa o dalawang tao ang nagdadala ng malas. Mga taong hindi coach at hindi player.

Isa lang ang magpapamalas boss....alam naman ng lahat kung sino! Malas ang team pero sya swerte :D

Kennedy
12-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Si Jorge Gallent hindi ba kandidato sa posisyon?

chez_moi
12-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Wala bang update kung sino papalit or kandidato na coach natin? Nakaka-inip na, kailangan na mag adjust at practice, 7 months na lang UAAP NA!!!!!

gabriel
12-24-2008, 01:51 AM
link:
http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20081224144086.html

UE eyes Jawo, Caidic, Codiñera as coach

By REY C. LACHICA

Former PBA greats Robert Jaworski, Allan Caidic and Jerry Codiñera – who at one time in their respective era as players helped University of the East win several championships – are in the short list of coaches being eyed to handle the Warriors in the UAAP tournament next year.

Other former UE players are in the list but the three have the inside track, said the source.

"As far as I am concerned, the name of the three former UE players are the most prominent in the list," said the source who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Although Jaworski is the most popular of the three, it is unlikely for the former senator to accept the job vacated by former La Salle ace Dindo Pumaren.

Jaworski, who steered Ginebra to several championships as player-coach, was the star of the UE Warriors in the late 60s.

Caidic and Codiñera, who played together for three seasons, powered the Warriors to back-to-back championships in 1984 and 1985 with Caidic as the team’s triggerman.

Since them, UE has not won a championship.

Pumaren, a former teammate of Codiñera and Caidic in the national team, formally stepped down following the team’s semifinal defeat to UAAP champion Ateneo in the Final Four of the Philippine Collegiate Championship League early this month.

Another source disclosed that Caidic might not be inclined to accept the job but will help in another capacity if asked by school officials.

Caidic, the source said, might not have the time to hold a full-time coaching job since he’s already the assistant coach at Ginebra San Miguel in the PBA.

"Gusto ni Allan maging coach din, kaso he is working for San Miguel," said Caidic’s source who is a close buddy from Warriors days.

Ginebra is owned by San Miguel Corporation which is headed by business tycoon Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco while UE is owned by the billionaire Lucio Tan of Asia Breweries – San Miguel’s chief rival in the industry.

Codiñera, on his part, said he’s willing to call the shots for the Warriors if given the opportunity.

"I started as a player at UE, so I’m willing to accept it if there is an offer," said Codiñera. "Gusto ko ibalik sa UE ang tulong na binigay nila sa akin while I’m still a young Warrior."

The 6-foot-5 Codiñera is not new to the job, having a handled a team in the PBL for one season before. Currently, he is the assistant coach of Allan Gregorio for Burger King in the PBL. He is also one of the assistants of Aboy Castro at University of the Philippines.

"Pero kung lateral movement lang, kung maging assistant lang, baka hindi na," added Codiñera.

Under Pumaren’s four-year watch, the Warriors made it to the Final Four four times and came close to ending more than two decades of misfortunes after completing a 14-game sweep of the elims.

In the finals, the team was swept by the Archers in a best-of-three title series.

i hope they can get someone to coach UE by 1st week of January, UAAP wars is just 6 months away by that time.

gabriel
01-11-2009, 05:42 AM
link:
http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20090111-182662/Concepcion-fights-Kenyan

In Huddle
Concepcion fights Kenyan
By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:08:00 01/11/2009

Filed Under: Boxing, Sport
MANILA, Philippines—The knockout game between San Miguel Beer and Ginebra will be held at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay instead of the Araneta Coliseum, where PBA matches are usually staged Sundays.

The Big Dome has been reserved tonight for the 12-round fight between fast-rising Filipino boxer Bernabe Concepcion and Kenyan Sande Otieno for the vacant World Boxing Council International featherweight title.

For boxing aficionados, this is a major boxing event considering that it is a title fight between two international titlists. The 5-foot-4 Concepcion, a native of Virac, Catanduanes, is a former NABF super bantamweight champion and WBC World Youth titlist who owns an impressive record of 27-1, 16 by knockout.

The 33-year-old Otieno, on the other hand, is a former WBC international title holder who was dethroned by Filipino Balweg Bangoyan last October in Davao City.

He has a record of 16-l and 7 KOs.

Bangoyan wrested the crown via a unanimous five-round technical decision.

“He is very promising, very courageous. He could be the next Filipino boxing superstar,” said a veteran scribe, who is considered an expert in boxing, of Concepcion.

He said Concepcion is being handled by no less than boxing icon Manny Pacquiao and coached by Freddie Roach.

“Most of his fights are being staged in the United States,” the scribe said.

He won his last bout against Giovanni Caro in California last September. Before that, as an undercard in the Antonio Margarito-Miguel Cotto WBA welterweight title fight, he demolished opponent Adam Carrera in the third round.

“He has just grown too big for the 122-lb division. I’m sure Abe will at his best at 126 pounds where he could make use of his full power,” said Concepcion’s manager Aljoe Jaro.

Concepcion is expected to go up against Steve Luevano or Oscar Larios—the Mexican who Pacquiao decisioned at the Big Dome in 2006—within the year.

Also seeing action at the Coliseum tonight are RP mini flyweight champ Denver Cuello against Indonesian junior flyweight champ Yanus Emaury and world light flyweight challenger Sonnyboy Jaro against Nanpayyak Sakkipin of Thailand.

“Of course we will be aiming for no less than the UAAP title next season,” newly appointed UE Warriors coach Lawrence Chongson wasn’t shy to admit. After 24 years of drought, Lawrence said the academe is hungry for a championship.

Lawrence promises a boost in financial assistance.

“We will be training abroad, for the first time in years,” he said. And why not, with Bong Tan and Philippine Airlines are behind him.

There will be no sanction for Talk ‘N Text even if it played against the Slingers in Singapore early this week, according to the PBA Commissioner’s office.

“It was only a practice game,” explained PBA media bureau Willie Marcial.

The Tropang Texters played a game and a half against the Slingers.

According to reports, they lost the first one in overtime, while the second match was halted at halftime with the Slingers leading by 40 points.

this is a good start, overseas training! i hope BIG TIME (players) recruitment is next.

pokpok
01-17-2009, 04:58 AM
patay tayo dyan... another 3 year underdog warriors.. WALANG KWENTA MANOOD NG GAMES NIYAN HAY!!!!!

ewe_rach
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
^ Hindi naman po ata magandang attitude yan. Nuod lang! Masarap masorpresa..

bchoter
02-01-2009, 07:17 PM
link:
http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20090111-182662/Concepcion-fights-Kenyan

In Huddle
Concepcion fights Kenyan
By Beth Celis
First Posted 02:08:00 01/11/2009

“Of course we will be aiming for no less than the UAAP title next season,” newly appointed UE Warriors coach Lawrence Chongson wasn’t shy to admit. After 24 years of drought, Lawrence said the academe is hungry for a championship.

Lawrence promises a boost in financial assistance.

“We will be training abroad, for the first time in years,” he said. And why not, with Bong Tan and Philippine Airlines are behind him.

this is a good start, overseas training! i hope BIG TIME (players) recruitment is next.

Looks like it's going to be an interesting offseason for the Warriors. Sabi ng kaibigan ng lahat na si grapevine Bong Tan just gave an "all out" order in going after Arvie Bringas. The starting offer? 30K a month and a ride. Take note, that's just the starting offer DAW.

The Warriors will also have to trips abroad. One in the US and another in Taiwan.

gabriel
02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Looks like it's going to be an interesting offseason for the Warriors. Sabi ng kaibigan ng lahat na si grapevine Bong Tan just gave an "all out" order in going after Arvie Bringas. The starting offer? 30K a month and a ride. Take note, that's just the starting offer DAW.

The Warriors will also have to trips abroad. One in the US and another in Taiwan.

Arvie Bringas?! this is good news!!! ;D

aircanda
02-01-2009, 09:19 PM
^^ kung ganun, malamang matinding gyera ang masasaksihan naten between Tan and Pineda, at ang panalo lang dito eh si Bringas ;D

sa_pula
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
sayang si jaypee mendoza tinangay na ni coach dindo sa san beda.. hay..tagtuyot pa naman recruitment ng ue ngayon..

LION
02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
^ Di bale, may bringas naman na kapalit. ;) 30k??? Mas mataas pa ang sweldo kesa sa PBL. ;D

sa_pula
02-10-2009, 08:26 PM
^^sabi lang yan pero maglala salle din yun ;D

paolo
02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
^^sabi lang yan pero maglala salle din yun* ;D
8) Baka pataas presyo lang iyan.* Never naman pinag usapan daw si bringas sa UE!

At this point in time, UE, i think, still has the materials to make good in the coming season! You have seen Bringas
play during the all star junior game,*he wasn't that impressive, why will Bong Tan pay him that much?
parang ridiculous lang! Hehehehe ???* Hindi naman siya si Kobe Bryant or Lebron james* ;)

paolo
02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
sayang si jaypee mendoza tinangay na ni coach dindo sa san beda.. hay..tagtuyot pa naman recruitment ng ue ngayon..
:( Will somebody confirm if it is true that JP Mendoza got an ACL while practicing with San Beda team.* I have seen the guy when he was still at UE, he has the skills and very hardworking.* If true, sana he recovers from the injury,
if not, I know he will be a force to reckon with in the coming NCAA tournament.

easter
02-25-2009, 09:24 PM
You have seen Bringas play during the all star junior game,*he wasn't that impressive, why will Bong Tan pay him that much? parang ridiculous lang! Hehehehe ???* Hindi naman siya si Kobe Bryant or Lebron james* ;)

Bringas is the real deal out there and he was impressive in games that really mattered most.

sa_pula
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
In Huddle

Intriguing list of ‘ninongs,’ ‘ninangs’
By Beth Celis
First Posted 00:48:00 02/22/2009

Filed Under: Boxing, Pacquiao
Most Read
MANILA, Philippines—A veteran colleague was given an interesting writing assignment recently by his editor.

“Try to analyze this,” the youthful editor of the broadsheet said as he handed the scribe a long list of 48 names, 32 of them gentlemen and the remaining 16 ladies.

They were Manny and Jinkee Pacquiao’s handpicked ninongs and ninangs for youngest daughter Queen Elizabeth or “Queenie,” who is scheduled to be christened in General Santos City Sunday.

The roster is a mix of politicians, military officials, businessmen, movie and television personalities, among them ABS-CBN television and radio host Korina Sanchez, who was said to have gone against Pacman’s campaign bid to a congressional seat in the last elections.

“The list is intriguing, to say the least,” the veteran scribe told his editor. “Obviously, Manny wants to make peace with people he has been in conflict with, as in the case of Korina.

“It is also obvious that he’s headed for another shot at politics, what with all those senators, congressmen and military officials in the list. There might be some truth to the report that he is running for a congressional seat in the second district of Quezon City.”

Businessman/sportsman Bong Tan spent part of Valentine’s day at an authentic street party in Tondo, hardly the place you’d expect the son of tycoon Lucio Tan to be celebrating.

It was not a Valentines party, but a three-way celebration hosted by the Bacchus team owner for cager Paul Lee’s 23rd birthday, his being named MVP of the recently-concluded PBL conference, and the team’s second runner-up finish.

Bong also invited PBL chair Mikee Romero and commissioner Chino Trinidad to the affair but both had previous commitments.

It was not really difficult to find the place. There was a big streamer that greeted the birthday boy fronting the esquinita where the party was being held. The streamer even had logos of the sponsors on it.

Bong barely missed a scuffle before he arrived at the party, but he said even if he had caught the action, that wouldn’t have stopped him from attending the celebration.

Bacchus coach Lawrence Chongson related that some guys in the neighborhood were chasing each other with knives just before Bong arrived.

I couldn’t tell if he was serious or not.

hindi ko alam kung nagkamali lang sya o purpose nya talaga yan para palabasing dinadaya ni paul edad nya..layo pa UAAP pero sinisiraan na si Lee..

gabriel
02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
:( Will somebody confirm if it is true that JP Mendoza got an ACL while practicing with San Beda team.* I have seen the guy when he was still at UE, he has the skills and very hardworking.* If true, sana he recovers from the injury,
if not, I know he will be a force to reckon with in the coming NCAA tournament.

accroding to the san beda side, he suffered an ACL injury. anyway, since he will be serving residency this year, that's not a big blow to their 4-peat campaign.

Wang-Bu
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
OK lang 'yan at marami pa naman tayong mga bata na binabatak pa: Jairold Flores, John Noble, Erwin Duran, John Alabanza at Ken Acibar. Tsaka abangan nila mga iba pang recruit na parating, baka pagdating ng summer mataranta silang lahat.

gabriel
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
OK lang 'yan at marami pa naman tayong mga bata na binabatak pa: Jairold Flores, John Noble, Erwin Duran, John Alabanza at Ken Acibar. Tsaka abangan nila mga iba pang recruit na parating, baka pagdating ng summer mataranta silang lahat.

aba, magandang senyales yan! ;D

chez_moi
02-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Ganyan..... ganyan mga gusto kong balita ;D TIRA UE!

bossman
02-28-2009, 11:40 PM
How is Coach Lawrence fairing in the FMC?

paolo
03-15-2009, 10:37 AM
How is Coach Lawrence fairing in the FMC?
;D UE Red Warriors did not join FMC.* But UE Red Warriors will surely play in the NIke and Fil-Oil
Tournaments this coming April.
Coach Tiongson and the rest of the UE Warriors will be leaving for the US.* *::)*

Regular Grey
03-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Ano ba name ni Coach, chongson o tiongson?

nastrans
03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
^Chongson

amdgc82
03-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Here's an article on new headcoach Lawrence Chongson

http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/uetoday/index.php?nav=11.htm

Welcome Back, Coach Lawrence Chongson by Bert B. Sulat Jr.

At a merienda-reception last January 12 at the Briefing Room, a group of key officials of the UE community along with the UE Red Warriors men’s basketball team players and staff welcomed Mr. Lawrence Chongson, who has been appointed as the team’s new Head Coach. (The officials were led by Vice Chairman of the Board Jaime J. Bautista, President and Chief Academic Officer Ester Albano Garcia and Marketing Department Executive Director Jesus T. Tanchanco Sr., who has also been appointed by the Board as Team Manager of the Red Warriors.)

As it turns out, we should have said “Welcome back” as well, given that Coach Lawrence had actually handled the Warriors before—as Assistant Coach back in school year 2000-2001, when Angelito “Itoy” Esguerra was the team’s Head Coach. “I was part of the team responsible for bringing in James Yap,” Coach Lawrence recalls, referring to the former Red Warrior turned basketball icon of, as the coach puts it, “Generation X” and who has since become an invaluable player in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

The Natural

While it may seem that the 44-year-old coach’s links with UE are as recent as now or even nine years ago, he actually has a far earlier connection: his parents, Michael Chong Yula and Ana Tan, are UE Commerce graduates—the former in 1959, the latter sometime in the ’60s. The Chongsons are of Chinese descent but Coach Lawrence and his parents are Filipinos: he was born in Manila as was his father, while the coach’s mother hails from Samar. “They met in UE,” Coach Lawrence notes.

However, both Coach Lawrence’s enthusiasm for basketball and affiliation with UE were less influenced by his parents—a semi-retired footwear entrepreneur and a housewife, respectively—than by what has been one of his lifelong compasses: destiny. With b-ball, aside from obvious influences such as street players or the pros on televised games, the sport came naturally for the young Lawrence, the eldest of three children. “When I was 5, 6 years old,” he remembers, “I would play basketball using improvised means: with a rolled pair of socks for a ball and a lampshade or even an open bedroom door as the ring.” Pretty soon, he was using real implements and, as fate would have it, grew taller than most, such that when he was still in Grade 6 at St. Jude Catholic School in Manila, he was already being recruited by his eventual secondary school, the Tondo-based Uno High School, to be one of its players. “My father was a varsity player in high school but he tried to dissuade me from becoming a player and told me to venture towards business like he did,” Coach Lawrence relates, referring in part to the Dragon brand of sandals that were their main business output and which was popular back in the 1980s. But the call of the ball was too strong to be denied, more so since, by age 16, he was a six-footer and thus can assume any playing position. (He now stands at 6’2”.)

In 1982, the Chongsons had to stay in Taiwan (the family also had a footwear plant there) and the teenage Lawrence had to spend senior high school at the Morrison Academy, an international school in Taichung.

When he returned to the Philippines, the would-be coach enrolled at the University of Santo Tomas—whose football team had been co-sponsored by the Chongson family business and where an uncle, Timmy Chong, was a football player and remains the team manager of the UST Growling Tigers. However, having been used to the no-uniform dress code of an international school, the young Lawrence later ditched UST and transferred to De La Salle University, where he resumed his communication arts studies, graduating in 1987. He did try out but somehow never got to be a DLSU Green Archer, but he still saw a lot of basketball action in other intercollegiate tournaments as well as in commercial, Filipino-Chinese league games.

http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/uetoday/news/2009/01/images/coach_chongson_contract.jpg
Coach Lawrence shows his UE contract (term: two years) and is seen with his co-signatory, Vice Chairman of the Board Jaime J. Bautista, as President Ester Albano Garcia looks on at UE’s welcome reception for the new Red Warriors coach on January 12.

The Navigator

In the late ’90s, Coach Lawrence became the back-to-back Most Valuable Player in 1998 and ’99 of the alumni basketball league of St. Jude Catholic School, his elementary alma mater. One of his team mates there was schoolmate Lucio “Bong” Tan Jr., who egged him on to be the coach of the team following a sudden vacancy. “I never really thought of coaching before that,” Coach Lawrence says, “but I went ahead, anyway.” The following year brought two bigger coaching assignments for him from Mr. Tan: as assistant coach of the Tanduay Rhum Masters for the PBA and the UE Red Warriors mainly for UAAP Season 63. With the Warriors, then Assistant Coach Lawrence also co-steered the team through tournaments such as that of the Manila Interclub Amateur Basketball Association (Micaba) and the Fr. Martin Cup—even filling in as coach during an early 2001 match at the Adamson University gym versus the UP Maroons, which the Warriors won. While his Warriors stint concluded that school year, he remained assistant coach of Tanduay for another year before it disbanded.

In 2002 came his first foray as head coach, for the Pangasinan Waves in the Metropolitan Basketball Association. That same year, he was tapped as assistant coach of the Philippine team in the Jones Cup; he would go on to be a part of the coaching staff of the Philippine team in two other men’s basketball tournaments in 2007: the Southeast Asian Basketball Association and at the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand. As head coach, he navigated the Air Philippines Bacolod team through its National Basketball League exploits in 2003. The year 2004 marked his ongoing stint as head coach at the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), starting with the Air Philippines Flight team. From there he handled a succession of PBL teams: the Bacchus Energy Drink team in 2005, the Mail and More Comets in 2006, the Burger King Whoppers team in 2007 and Bacchus again since last year. As of this writing, the Bacchus team had evolved from being an “underdog” of the current PBL season to hardened contenders turned semi-finalists. (On the side, Coach Lawrence has, since 2004, been the head coach of the Allied Banking Corporation men’s basketball team for the Bankers Athletic Association.)

To date, Coach Lawrence still plays basketball, in interschool alumni leagues and even in the international 40 & Up league, where he had represented the country along with the likes of Bong Alvarez and Leo Austria.

One thing anyone would notice about the new Warriors head coach is his hair—comparatively long for a sportsman and which, these days, almost touches his shoulders. “I’ve tried different hairstyles through the years, such as the ‘semi-kalbo’ cut back when [celebrity] Richard Gomez still had it,” Coach Lawrence divulges. “Later on, a cousin of mine who’s also in his 40s pondered our age and we vowed that, while we still have it, we would keep our hair long ‘one last time’.”

The Warrior

Coach Lawrence does not deny that he came into coaching rather late (around age 33), and that when he joined the profession, he noticed that for the most part, he wasn’t welcomed by his elder peers. Still, he managed to transform those twin burdens into motivational tools. “I was further encouraged,” he says. “I knew in my heart that I know the game of basketball inside out and at anyone’s level.” As for the age factor, he drew inspiration from Gerald Eugene “Jerry” Sloan, the head coach of the Utah Jazz team of the National Basketball Association in the USA. “Jerry became coach of Utah Jazz when he was 47 [in 1988]! And he is still that team’s coach, for 21 seasons now—the longest record for any NBA coach of a single team.” Coach Lawrence adds that “Age is really just a number. What’s important is loving what you do and dedicating yourself to it.”

Upon being persuaded by Mr. Bong Tan and ultimately being appointed by the UE Board of Trustees to be the new Warriors head coach—replacing former Head Coach Dindo Pumaren, who steered the team in the last five school years—Coach Lawrence says that he felt a mixture of decisiveness and hesitation. “I told myself, ‘I can do this,’ but I also had some doubts, mainly because the PBL is not as hectic as the UAAP. But I figured, who could question destiny? I’m thinking, maybe UE and I are a perfect match now, and this could be the perfect scenario and the perfect time, especially for the University.”

Coach Lawrence is not exactly a stranger to the Warriors’ action and energy: he has had active or former Red Warriors such as Paolo Hubalde throughout his PBL stint. With Bacchus right now, he has a whopping seven of them: now former Warriors Mark Fampulme and Hans Thiele, and present Warriors Val Acuña, Paul Lee, Rudy Lingganay, Narciso “Pari” Llagas and James Martinez.

In a word, Coach Lawrence views his coaching style as “professional” given his PBL experience. He elaborates that “I intend to treat the Warriors professionally—not as kids but as young men. I will put in pointers, flesh out our system, will not play favorites and will not be one to berate or shout at them. I intend to exercise a balance of cooperation and discipline—to keep our focus, be goal-oriented, to be on the same page. If the players reciprocate that, then we would be victorious.” He points out, however, that taking things “one day at a time” is vital and that not being a UE alumnus is anything but vital. “I find it baseless that a school’s coach should strictly be one of its own graduates,” he says. “What’s important should be merit, the person’s qualifications. A coach is a coach is a coach. A school coach who is dedicated will always give his 110% with every game even if he is not an alumnus of that school.”

Already, Coach Lawrence has drawn up a rigorous schedule for the team for the first half of 2009, inclusive of bringing the Warriors in early April to Abunassar Impact Basketball training camp in Los Angeles, USA, which has also been a training venue of the RP team prior to international ball games. While there, the Warriors could see action in the Easter Classics tournament in Las Vegas. Moreover, Coach Lawrence has a lofty, off-court aim for the Warriors: to ensure that all of them graduate. “All these things are mainly to boost the Warriors’ confidence, to make them realize that they can stand shoulder to shoulder with their counterparts in the other universities—while keeping in mind that they represent UE and thus should be the best they can be. I intend to be a life coach to them and not just a basketball coach. The objective is to build not just good basketball players but good human beings.”

He notes that “I was still in college when the Warriors last became the UAAP champion [in 1985]” and that it’s high time that the team, and the University, reclaimed this UAAP glory. “As I see it, nothing stands in the way of this goal of winning at the UAAP. The players want this, the University wants this and I want this—especially for Chairman of the Board and CEO Lucio C. Tan and Bong Tan. If we all pool and put our energies and spirit into this then we can win,” Coach Lawrence states. “The time is now.”
http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/uetoday/news/2009/01/images/coach_chongson_warriors.jpg
Coach Lawrence Chongson with the Red Warriors men’s basketball players: (front, from left) Narciso Llagas, Paul Lee, Rudy Lingganay, Ryan Monteclaro, Raffy Reyes, Nikko Tiongco, (back, from left) Gil Wagas, Fhadzmir Bandaying, Alex Lim, James Martinez, Kenneth Acibar, Jairold Flores, JM Noble, Paul Zamar, Erwin Duran, Val Acuña, John Ray Alabanza, Gino Etrone and Omar Malone at the foot of the Lualhati statue, Jan. 12, 2009.

pokpok
03-18-2009, 06:10 AM
o ayan malinaw walang BRINGAS!!!

oca
03-18-2009, 09:18 AM

Siempre, January 2009 issue yan ng UE Today, may pasok pa sa San Sebastian ang bata at naghahanda sa NCAA Track and Field competition, na kung saan nanalo yata siya ng dalawang medalyang ginto sa shot put at discuss.

Pero wala nang pasok ngayon, abangan natin ang susunod na picture taking! ;)

nardy
03-18-2009, 10:08 AM

.... as of late, Arvie likes wearing Green

pokpok
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
o diba mas mataas ang budget kapag naka green... pero hopefully makakuha tayo ng replacement,,,
off topic pasensiya na tagal ko nawala.. crisis kasi kailangan doble kayod...

gabriel
03-21-2009, 01:40 AM
no problem, if ever hindi natin makuha si Arvie. madami pa tayong big guys sa team like, Acibar 6'4, Alabanza 6'5, Duran 6'3, Flores 6'3, Wagas 6'3, and the chinito guy, Alex Lim 6'4(?), yung katabi ni Acibar sa picture. yung iba nga natin players, binangko lang ni dindo, sinayang lang n'ya yung eligibility nung mga bata ::)* >:(. focus kasi ng plays n'ya sa guards.

BLUE HORSE
03-21-2009, 03:36 AM
^

What did you expect from a Pumaren? The coaching philosophy of the Pumaren family has always been guard oriented and pressure defense. Franz Pumaren has been the most successful of the Pumaren brothers because he successfully recruited the necessary players for their system.

paolo
03-21-2009, 09:29 PM
o diba mas mataas ang budget kapag naka green... pero hopefully makakuha tayo ng replacement,,,
off topic pasensiya na tagal ko nawala.. crisis kasi kailangan doble kayod...
::)* I think its confirmed already that Arvie will play for the green.* But he will not be a big lost to UE.
He has the talent but it would not be felt this year.* The run and gun style of DLSU may not be suited for Arvie, Just maybe. ;)

paolo
03-21-2009, 09:32 PM

;)My apologies! Its Coach CHONGSON!

gabriel
03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
link:
http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/news/?news=200913.html

UE Red Warriors win 1st runner up in Taipei tourney

http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/news/2009/img/march_09/red_warriors.jpg

The University of the East men’s basketball team, the UE Red Warriors, recently returned triumphant from Taipei where they competed at the five-school 2009 Ming Dao Cup International Tournament, emerging as first runner-up.

The UE Red Warriors overpowered the teams from Taoyuan Sports Institute of Taiwan and the Chinese University of Hong Kong in their first and second games, respectively.

The UE Red Warriors won coming from behind twice, rallying to overcome the 18-point lead of Taichung Sports Institute of Taiwan in their penultimate game and a 15-point lead of the tourney host’s Ming Dao University during their final game. Their lone defeat was by Korea’s Kyung Hee University squad, who reportedly came to Taipei a month ahead of schedule to prepare for the tournament.

According to UE Red Warriors Coach Lawrence Chongson, the tournament was a “3-in-1” trip – it gave the boys a taste of international competition; it was a great bonding opportunity for him and the boys as he is a newcomer to the team; and since it was the first time for several team members to travel abroad, they were able to experience a different culture and learned many new things. The UE Red Warriors earned US$1,200 prize money as 1st runner-up.

Photo shows the jubilant UE Red Warriors, Coach Chongson (six from left) and supporters. Also shown with them is UE Marketing Dept. Executive Director Jesus Tanchanco Sr. (5th from left), who led the welcome of the UE Red Warriors upon their arrival at NAIA II.

pokpok
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM
wow congrats naman.. mas maganda ata ngayon ang status natin ha... underdogs tayo pero MANGGUGULAT...WE ARE THE DARK HORSE this year... hopefully......

Joescoundrel
03-26-2009, 04:05 PM
UE does not seem to have the deep reserve roster of season past as the Red Warriors are not seeing action in the Fr Martin Cup summer tournament. UE will definitely be in the Fil Oil and Nike.

At present team management is looking for players who can form some sort of future reserve corps for the red and white. I would not be surprised if we soon see some African imports as well in CM Recto.

These are the players who played in Season 71 and to my recollection can still play in Season 72:

Pari Llagas
Hans Thiele
Elmer Espiritu
John Noble
Erwin Duran
Jairold Flores
Val Acuna
Paul Lee
Toto Bandaying
Lucas Tagarda
Paul Zamar
Raffy Reyes
James Martinez
Rudy Linganay

That leaves two guys only that I recall are still UE reserves: 6'5" John Alabanza and 6'5" Ken Acibar.

IF any of the bigs of UE for any reason no longer play in Season 72 at least there are two 6'5" players who can take their place. The guards are smallish but solid, and they do have Paul Lee who will most likely have his best season as a Red Warrior in Season 72. Val Acuna also played well in the last PBL conference and should get more minutes and better opportunities to shine under Lawrence Chongson.

Two players I'd like to see improve are Bandaying and Tagarda. These two play very well in the off-season but somehow never got the full confidence of former UE head coach Dindo Pumaren. If they can make some headway under Chongson that gives UE more firepower and athleticism in the perimeter, which will relieve a lot of pressure from the thinned out frontline and even their more marked guards like Martinez and Linganay.

It is the summer hoop season and it is traditionally UE's time to shine. Hopefully we'll see a strong and tough UE team in both the Fil Oil and Nike.

tamarawz_14
03-26-2009, 11:04 PM
wow congrats naman.. mas maganda ata ngayon ang status natin ha... underdogs tayo pero MANGGUGULAT...WE ARE THE DARK HORSE this year... hopefully......

UE darkhorse???? no way... with their line-up kaya nila talunin FEU and DLSU.. Thiele and arellano lang naman nawala. nandyan pa sila linnganay, zamar, reyes, espiritu, Llagas and martinez... Adamson siguro darkhorse team this year...

tsikamajigs
03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
^Yes they can't be the dark horse. How can they be the dark horse if they always get beaten by eventually the team that wins it all.. ;D

pokpok
03-28-2009, 04:07 AM
basta.. kahit sa ayaw niyo at sa gusto,,, mas magandang tawagin na lang kaming dark horse...
mas malakas ang ADAMSON as they claim it last year na may player daw silang mag lalaro na ngayon season 72...

mas magandang masorpresa na lang tayo kesa umasa at mabigo...

BASTA GOOOO UE pa rin!!!

Wang-Bu
03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Kasalukuyang nasa Estados Unidos ang mga anak ni Lualhati at magbabalik sila bandang ika-16 ng Abril sakto lang para sa umpisa ng Nike Summer League at ng Fil Oil FLying V Cup.

Medyo mahihirapan ang mga Warriors natin ngayon at ilang beterano ay hindi pa siguradong magbabalik para sa ika-72 Season ng UAAP. Umaasa naman ako na dahil lahat ng mga naka-lineup nitong nakaraang Season 71 ay sumama sa Amerika (pwera kay Marcy Arellano) ay magbabalik silang lahat para sumabak muli sa laban.

Inaasahan kong sa ilalim ng bagong coach na si Lawrence Chongson ay lahat ng mga hindi masyado nabigyan ng pagkakataon maglaro sa mga ankaraang kampanya ay makapagpapakitang-gilas naman, lalong-lalo pa at tila na-corner na naman as usual ng Lasalle at Ateneo ang lahat ng mga magagaling na recruit.

Basta naman bumalik lahat ng mga beterano natin sigurado akong aabot naman tayo ulit sa Final 4. Mula Final 4, palarin lang ng konti, baka makabalik din tayo sa Finals. Kung si Coach Pido nga buenas sa kanyang unang sabak nung 2006, siguro naman may konting buenas na Feng Shui din itong si Lawrence Chongson.

Inaasahan kong ito ang magiging taon na magiging ganap na superstar na si Paul Lee. Magandang pinakita niya sa PBL laban sa mga mama ng ligang yaon, kung kaya't kompiyansa naman ako na may matinding ibubuga siya sa UAAP. Sana lang sabayan siyang tulungan ng lahat ng kanyang mga kasamahan at mahirap maging nag-iisang nagdadala ng isang buong koponan.

pokpok
03-31-2009, 11:44 AM
korek WANG-bU very well said..... GOOOOOOOO UE!!!!!!!!

canmaker
03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
boss wang-bu, in contention pa raw kayo sa isang napakahusay na sentro, tunay na blue-chip recruit ...

joelex
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
who will be chongson's assts be? will codinera still be part of his staff?

glock23
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
boss wang-bu, in contention pa raw kayo sa isang napakahusay na sentro, tunay na blue-chip recruit ...

Malabo na yata yan canmaker :)

canmaker
03-31-2009, 11:20 PM
amigo, mind reader ka na pala! hehehe. that is the news coming out of lualhati's den ... so, with baste, it's a 3-horse race, pero lamang na talaga kayo ...

=====

Malabo na yata yan canmaker :)

Wang-Bu
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Hindi na pala maglalaro si Hans Thiele, kaya lalong numipis ang mga poste natin. Salamat Hans at good luck sa iyong paglalaro.

Sir Canmaker, hindi kami kasali sa usaping Arvie Bringas, dati na kaming nagbigay ng advance diyan sa bata na 'yan tapos inindian lang kami sa usapan kaya ayaw na ni Boss Bong sa kanya. Lilinawin ko lang na HINDI SUGAL ang pinag-uusapan dito ha. Pinapunta namin sa tryouts at binigyan pa namin ng konting advance, pero hindi sumipot ang lintek na bata.

Kung sa mga sentro meron kaming balak kunin na dalawang transferee pero hilaw pa parehas, parang si Pari Llagas nung bagong dating pa lang, ganun kahilaw. At least nasa 6'5" naman pareho at maliksi, may bilis din, masipag pa sa practice, pero 'yun lang, siguro Season 73 pa namin pakikinabangan.

chez_moi
04-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Sir Wang-Bu, sino ba magiging assistant natin sa UE?

BLUE HORSE
04-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Sir Canmaker, hindi kami kasali sa usaping Arvie Bringas, dati na kaming nagbigay ng advance diyan sa bata na 'yan tapos inindian lang kami sa usapan kaya ayaw na ni Boss Bong sa kanya. Lilinawin ko lang na HINDI SUGAL ang pinag-uusapan dito ha. Pinapunta namin sa tryouts at binigyan pa namin ng konting advance, pero hindi sumipot ang lintek na bata.

For the sake of delicadeza, binalik naman siguro ang "pamasahe". Baka naman kinulang ang pamasahe? Oops, nakalimutan ko, tatawid lang naman ng Recto at maiksing lakad patungo sa UE gym galing Baste. :D

Wang-Bu
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Rene Vaina daw po. Pati din ang magaling na Nel Parado.

christian
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Sir Wang-Bu, hindi ba ito si Rene Baena?

chez_moi
04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
maraming salamat Sir Wang-Bu ;D

gfy
04-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Hindi na pala maglalaro si Hans Thiele, kaya lalong numipis ang mga poste natin. Salamat Hans at good luck sa iyong paglalaro.

Kung sa mga sentro meron kaming balak kunin na dalawang transferee pero hilaw pa parehas, parang si Pari Llagas nung bagong dating pa lang, ganun kahilaw. At least nasa 6'5" naman pareho at maliksi, may bilis din, masipag pa sa practice, pero 'yun lang, siguro Season 73 pa namin pakikinabangan.

Dapat kasi naghingi kayo ng recibo for the reported 50k. Bringas will be in DLSU if he graduates and passes their entrance exam. UST is trying to get him but he may just remain in Baste.

bchoter
04-06-2009, 10:36 PM
^ A little correction. UST WAS trying to get him. Actually Pido was just trying to GET HIM BACK. When coach Pido brought Arvie and his brother to Manila they had an understanding that he will eventually play for Pido. Unfortunately, recruitment has become so complicated that a simple YES is not an assurance.

yellow_we
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
^Yeah Manong, sometimes VERBAL AGREEMENT doesn't seals the deal. >:( OH WELL.. Good luck to him.

ewe_rach
04-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Sir, initials naman or kung saang lupalop sila nakuha?

redlampard
04-12-2009, 05:35 AM

Rene Baena? former San Beda jrs Assitant and Srs. Head Coach?

paolo
04-12-2009, 12:30 PM

;)Yes!* Mismo!

paolo
04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
;)To all UE Warriors fans:* Just want to informl all of you that the UE Red Warriors just won the championship in their entered division.* *James Martinez made the tying basket while Val Acuna made the shot of his life.* The winning basket that gave UE the championship.

Hoping that this will boost their confidence in the coming UAAP wars!* Kudos to Coach Lawrence and the rest of the coaching staff.* *

anthony00
04-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I think I am quite complacent with the UE coaching staff right now, tingin ko masasasabi nating, "tamang timpla" ang coaching staff. And about the Bringas issue, if he really is like that (im pointing about the non-appearance and the alleged "incentives" na binigay sa kanya whatsoever), sige dun na lang siya, we don't need him here. magaling nga, mukang may mini horns naman. ahehehe.. and about coach Rene Baena, yes he is the assistant coach, and he's a formerly acquainted with the San Beda lions. (And he's our barangay captain here at La Loma, just so everybody knows. ^_^) Fil Oil Flying V is next on the list, Go Fight Red and White!

ewe_rach
04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Bringas will suit for DLSU, that is to dispel all the rumors of him wearing the red and white this coming UAAP season.

redlampard
04-13-2009, 03:39 AM
Bringas will suit for DLSU, that is to dispel all the rumors of him wearing the red and white this coming UAAP season.

May rumors pala na pwede mag - UE c Bringas. Hindi ko alam un ah. ???

Kala ko ADMU, DLSU, SSC-R, SBC (mdjo impossible, pero possible din bcoz of MVP dw talking to the lad) ang suitors ni Arvie. Good addition sana sa UE. Sayang! ;D

sa_pula
04-13-2009, 08:25 PM
totoo bang inofferan ng arizona western college si val acuna?

Wang-Bu
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
^^ Para lang pong pabirong offer 'yon. Medyo hindi sila nagkaintindihan gawa ng "don't English me" si Val... ;D

Pauwi na mga Anak Ni Lualhati, ngayong Huebes nandito na sila at handa ng sumalang sa mga liga ngayong summer.

tsikamajigs
04-14-2009, 02:10 PM

JM Noble also suited up for DLSU during the summer. When the season 71 started, he was in red and white. :)

ewe_rach
04-14-2009, 04:25 PM

JM Noble also suited up for DLSU during the summer. When the season 71 started, he was in red and white.* :)

Yes I know but Noble is not a household name.. Hindi kayang tapatan ng admi ang offer kay Bringas.

Regular Grey
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Hindi na talaga NOBLE ang paglalaro ng Basketball!! ;D

oca
04-15-2009, 10:38 AM

;)Yes! Mismo!

That should give former Red Cub PG Monteclaro a good chance of making the UAAP lineup. But of course the pre-season events will be the barometer for all aspirants.

tsikamajigs
04-15-2009, 11:10 AM

JM Noble also suited up for DLSU during the summer. When the season 71 started, he was in red and white.* :)

Yes I know but Noble is not a household name.. Hindi kayang tapatan ng admi ang offer kay Bringas.

Tinapatan ba? o ipinasa galing kay kuya? ::)

ewe_rach
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Tinapatan ba? o ipinasa galing kay kuya?* ::)

Back read ka iho...

pokpok
04-18-2009, 07:32 PM
so ibig sabihin ba nito na PATULOY pa rin tayong lalaban sa mga MALALAKAS NA TEAMS ngayon season 72.. sana nga mas maganda yung walang expectations... GOOOOO UE na naman..

chez_moi
04-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Wala sa line-up ng La Salle si Bringas ah, bakit sa newspaper binida nila agad na maglalaro ito? or hindi lang pinalaro?

ewe_rach
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Wala sa line-up ng La Salle si Bringas ah, bakit sa newspaper binida nila agad na maglalaro ito? or hindi lang pinalaro?

Hindi naman La Salle ang nagpalabas ng kwento na iyon. If I remember it right, si Jasmine Payo without even validating from any of the coaching staff. Remember dapat isasabak ang Archers sa international league which is suppose to be the "reward" of them winning the PCCL?
Dont you reckon they are trying to cover up MVP's disregard of their promise to whoever is the champ?

bossman
04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
So sino pala big name recruits ng UE for this coming season?

gabriel
04-23-2009, 12:30 AM
link:
http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/news/?news=200925.html

The UE/RP Squad Stuns Arizona All-Stars USA
UE Red Warriors Wins Easter Showcase Championship

Las Vegas, Nevada—The UE Red Warriors Men’s Basketball Team, representing both the University of the East and the Philippines, recently made history here by beating the top teams of the USA and emerging as champion of the Las Vegas Easter Showcase. The tournament, sponsored by Star Vision, is one of the largest basketball events in USA, and was held this year from April 9 to 11, 2009. The UE squad is the first ever non-US team to win the tournament.

The Red Warriors were undefeated, with 5-0 record, in heading to the championship. During the first round and the semi-finals, the UE squad beat the Salt Lake City team, the Las Vegas All Stars, and 24/7 Hoop Reds; then the Philippine team stunned Agassi All Stars and Arizona All Stars in the finals.

At the final game, the Arizona All Star initially led by 14 points, 39-25, at half time, to slowly pull away. During that first half, the Red Warriors were struggling inside, committing several turnovers and with Arizona’s height advantage dominating the boards. At the second half of the action, the Arizona All Stars, leading by 16 points, had the chance to put the game away. With the UE squad trailing Arizona by 14 points, Red Warriors Coach Lawrence Chongson called for a timeout. During the timeout, Coach Lawrence instructed his players to stay focused and not to worry about their opponents’ height and changed their game plan.

Accordingly, the Red Warriors refused to budge and responded to Coach’s command; Val Acuña, the 6’3”-tall forward, got his teammates going and finished off their rally by making 12 points in long range. Paul Lee then sank the tying free throw. Arizona responded with a reverse dunk through leading scorer Jones, a 6’6” power forward and one of the top picks from Arizona, USA. With one minute remaining in the game and the score tied at 40-40, the Red Warriors got possession; Rudy Lingganay Jr. got the ball then drove to the lane rim but missed the shot and forced the game into overtime.

Red Warriors fans were jumping up and down throughout the overtime period. In the first two minutes of overtime, the Red Warriors got the rebound. James Martinez quickly passed the ball to Acuña, who then nailed a three-point shot that let the Warriors take the lead for the first time in this game. An Arizona guard responded with a three-point shot and tied the game 43-43. After a timeout called by the Arizona coach, the game resumed with a full-court press applied on Lingganay, the UE Red Warriors point guard; beating the full court press, Lingganay managed to pass the ball to Acuña, who made a three-point shot at the free-throw lane. Arizona responded with a quick three to tie the game anew, 46-46.

The Red Warriors got the ball inbound and passed it to Espiritu, but an Arizona guard made a steal and tried to score but missed. At the next possession, the Warriors missed a shot; Arizona got the rebound and made a quick basket, leading the Warriors by two points, 58-56. At five seconds remaining, with Red Warrior Paul Lee trapped in the middle of the court, Arizona All Star’s Jones stole the ball; the US team called for a quick timeout, but the referees realized that Arizona had no more timeouts and charged them with a technical foul in favor of the Red Warriors—translating into two free throws and possession for the UE-RP squad. Veteran guard Martinez sank the tying free throw, leading to a 58-58 tie.* Down the stretch, Coach Lawrence called a timeout with 2.5 seconds remaining in the game. Fans were screaming, “Give it to number 17!” referring to Acuña. The inbound pass was made to Lingganay, who then quickly passed to Acuña, who swished a running jump shot from the left wing with one second left for a 60-58 victory. Fittingly, Acuña earned the Most Valuable Player award of this tournament.

Red Warriors fans and University of the East Alumni were jumping up and down the bench, cheering the Warriors’ victory. Philippine Ambassador Willy C. Gaa was one of the spectators of the game and he was pleased with the victory of UE Warriors—who, in effect, represented the Philippines and won “this basketball championship game on American soil.”

Coach Lawrence said after the game that “We’ve been showing a lot of heart the last couple games. I told my players never to give up. They have been really working hard and to win this championship game in Las Vegas is great. I thought our defense in the second half was the game-breaker for us.” Added Acuña the MVP, who was likewise the Red Warriors’ lead scorer at that game, “We just needed to win. I got a good look and I made the winning shot. Coach Lawrence was very patient with us. It’s a team effort. We responded at the last few minutes of the game.”

For his part, UE Red Warriors Team Manager Jesus T. Tanchanco Sr., said that “I want to thank all the players, the coaching staff and the UE alumni here in the USA, for their support. This is a great accomplishment for the UE Warriors and we are looking forward to defending our championship next year!” —Courtesy of 3G’s Sports, Ca USA

gabriel
04-23-2009, 10:53 PM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2009/04/23/2009-filoil-flying-v-mvp-cup-official-lineups/

2009 Filoil Flying V MVP Cup official lineups

BELOW are the official team rosters submitted by the 14 participating teams in this year’s Filoil Flying V Manny V. Pangilinan Cup. These lineups are still subject to change since the maximum number of players that can be listed in each lineup is 18. Official rules state that a team can dress all 18 players in a given game, but field in a maximum of only 16.

ADAMSON UNIVERSITY FALCONS
GALINATO, Michael
COLINA, Jan
YAMBOT, Junard
SANTOS, Allan
CAMSON, Eric
CABRERA, Roider
LOZADA, Janus
NUYLES, Alex
IMPORTANTE, King
CANUDAY, Leo
ALVAREZ, Lester
CAÑADA, Jerick
MANYARA, Lionel
ETRONE, Allen
Head coach: AUSTRIA, Leo

ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY BLUE EAGLES
TIONGSON, Juami
REYES, Jai
BACLAO, Nonoy
AUSTRIA, Bacon
GONZAGA, Tonino
SALAMAT, Eric
LONG, Kirk
BUENAFE, Ryan
SALVA, Nico
BURKE, Vince
BALDOS, Mike
SUMALINOG, Oping
CHUA, Justin
AL-HUSSAINI, Rabeh
DE CHAVEZ, Chris
GOLLA, Frank
Head coach: BLACK, Norman

COLEGIO DE SAN JUAN DE LETRAN KNIGHTS
ALAS, Jun-Jun
BELENCION, Jaypee
CORTES, Jam
DATANG, Jomar
DEL ROSARIO, Kirk
FORONDA, John
GUEVARRA, Rey
GUTILBAN, Reymar
JAZUL, RJ
MALABAGO, Fred-rick
ROGUEL, Christian
TAPLAH, Aloysius
Head coach: ALAS, Louie

COLLEGE OF SAINT BENILDE BLAZERS
ARGAMINO, RJ
LASTIMOSA, Carlo
WONG, Alex
ABOLUCION, Mac
DALANON, Chuck
MARTINEZ, Ardie
DELA PAZ, Ian
MANLAPAZ, Jacob
TAJONERA, Jorey
MAÑALAC, Robbie
UMLAS, Aaron
MORIAL, Jeff
DE GUZMAN, Mark
TAN, Jan
SIA, Geo
MUSNGI, Andrew
Head coach: DEL ROSARIO, Richard

DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY GREEN ARCHERS
VILLANUEVA, Maui
ATKINS, Simon
MALABES, Bader
WEBB, Joshua
BRINGAS, Arvie
REVILLA, LA
FERDINAND
BARUA, Peejay
BAGATSING, Hyram
MANGAHAS, James
BATRICEVIC, Marko
CO, Kish
BANAL, Gabriel
REYES, Martin
TOLENTINO, Joel
MARATA, Tata
ANDRADA, Yutien
PAREDES, Papot
Head coach: PUMAREN, Franz

FAR EASTERN UNIVERSITY TAMARAWS
BARROCA, Mark
EXCIMINIANO, Christopher
VINLUAN, Mc Jan
GARCIA, Ryan Roose
CALUAG, Casey
CRUZ, Carl Bryan
SANGA, Paul
TANUAN, Edgar
KNUTTEL, Jens
CAWALING, JR
EGUILOS, Jaymo
RAMOS, Aldrech
MANALO, Christian
CERVANTES, Reil
NOUNDOU, Pipo
ROMERO, Mark
Head coach: CAPACIO, Glenn

JOSE RIZAL UNIVERSITY HEAVY BOMBERS
WILSON, John
SENA, JR
HAYES, Marvin
KABIGTING, Raycon
LOPEZ, Derico
MONTEMAYOR, John
NJEI, Nchotu
JOE, Etame
BULANGIS, Jay-r
ONDE, Rudy
AGAS, Jhe
APINAN, Jeckster
PACHECO, Miko
MATUTE, Nate
SALAZAR, Adoe
CAGOCO, Marc
Head coach: VANGUARDIA, Ariel

MAPUA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY CARDINALS
ACOSTA, Mark
CASTILLO, John Emmanuel
CINCO, Paul
CORNEJO, Edwin
ESPINOSA, Kevin
GUILLERMO, TG
MAGAT, Nico
MANGAHAS, Allan
PARALA, Michael
PASCUAL, Jason
PAULINO, Anthony
RANISES, Rodel
SARANGAY, Mark
SORIANO, Randolf
STEVENS, Andrei
Head coach: VICTOLERO, Chito

NATIONAL UNIVERSITY BULLDOGS
SINGH, Ajeet
LUY, Michael
TERSO, Joseph
CALMA, JP
BALORAN, Mervin
HERMOSISIMA, Kokoy
MAGAT, Marlon
FABULA, Elmer
TUNGCUL, Jerome
BATAC, Kevin
PONFERRADA, Jewel
DONAHUE, Francis
CABALUNA, Denmark
ROY, Ronald
MANITO, Mark Bon Jovi
Head coach: DANDAN, Manny

SAN BEDA COLLEGE RED LIONS
VILLAHERMOSA, Mar
KOGA, Ryusei
TIRONA, Chico
GAMALINDA, Bam
VILLANUEVA, Jerome
TECSON, JR
PASCUAL, Jake
MARCELO, Dave
CARAM, Anjo
SOLIMAN, Ginno
LANETE, Garvo
TAGANAS, Jay-r
SORELA, Michole
DANIEL, Sudan
AFABLE, Billy
LIM, Melo
Head coach: LIM, Frankie

SAN SEBASTIAN COLLEGE-RECOLETOS STAGS
AQUINO, Jimbo
GATCHALIAN, Erickson
MAIQUEZ, Dexter
ABUEVA, Calvin
MACONOCIDO, Raymond
BRINGAS, Mark Anthony
SANGALANG, Ian
GUSI, Raffy
SEMIRA, Jonathan
PASCUAL, Ronald
NAJORDA, Dave
BULAWAN, Gilbert
RAYMUNDO, Pamboy
DEL RIO, Anthony
BARTOLO, Roberto
GATCHALIAN, Jason
Head coach: AGUSTIN, Ato

UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST RED WARRIORS
BANDAYING, Toto
ZAMAR, Paul
MARTINEZ, James
TAGARDA, Lucas
ESPIRITU, Elmer
LINGGANAY, Rudy
NOBLE, JM
DURAN, Erwin
REYES, Raffy
LLAGAS, Pari
ALABANZA, John Ray
ACIBAR, Kenneth
LEE, Paul
ACUÑA, Val
FLORES, Jairold
SUMIDO, Jhon Rey
CAGALAWAN, Ritz
PELOPERO, Orly
Head coach: CHONGSON, Lawrence

UNIVERSITY OF PERPERTUAL HELP SYSTEM DALTA ALTAS
SALANGA, Nat
GALABIN, John Phillip
YNION, Raffy
BELORIO, Jonathan
SUYAT, Stevenson
ELOPRE, Chrisper
SICAT, Jeorge
DELA CRUZ, Neil
HAINGA, Robert
VIVERO, Rommel
CARULLO, Billy Joe
MEDRANA, Vincent
MANALO, Lawrence
SALVADO, Jason
ROÑO, Robin
DICKENS, Lester
VILLADOES, Dale Vincent
LIAZ, Christian
DELA CRUZ, Michael Vincent
REYES, Ronald
Head coach: ALDEGUER, Boris

UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES FIGHTING MAROONS
GAMBOA, Mike
GINGERICH, Moriah
CO, Woody
BRAGANZA, Arvin
REYES, Mikee
LAO, JP
SISON, Magi
PADILLA, Alvin
REYES, Martin
JURUENA, Mark
IFEANYI, Mbah
MARFORI, Andrew
GOMEZ, Carlo
LOPEZ, Mark
EQUIPILOG, Joselito
SILUNGAN, Mike
Head coach: CASTRO, Aboy

gabriel
04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
can anyone share some details (Height, Playing Position) about these players? :)

SUMIDO, Jhon Rey, Ilo-ilo Central Commercial HS
CAGALAWAN, Ritz
PELOPERO, Orly, Ilo-ilo Central Commercial HS

gabriel
04-23-2009, 11:32 PM
SUMIDO, Jhon Rey 6'1 Wingman, RP Youth Player, Ilo-ilo Central Commercial HS.

Joescoundrel
04-24-2009, 08:13 PM
It was supposed to be a rematch between last summer's two Finalists, and it turned out to be a repeat performance for University of the East. Displaying UAAP mid-season form, the Warriors cruised to the 69 - 62 victory over NCAA grand slam champion San Beda in the 5:00 PM main game.

Looks like that trip to the US a couple of weeks ago was no junket, as new head coach Lawrence Chongson's boys ran their halfcourt sets fluidy, moved very well without the ball, constantly found the open men, and overall just displayed a more efficient and effective game compared to the Red Lions.

San Beda actually took an 18-15 lead at the end of the first period, but that turned out to be the only quarter they would lead. UE masterfully clogged the passing lanes to take away the short passing and high-low game of San Beda. Meanwhile, Val Acuna, the star of their successful US training tour, began to find his range from way out. Pari Llagas and Elmer Espiritu took it right to the San Beda big men with gusto and dominated the taller Red Lions inside.

In the third period, Chongson stuck to the five of James Martinez, Paul Lee, Acuna, Espiritu and Llagas and they just seemed to get stronger and build more wind as the period progressed. UE built its biggest lead of 16 at 47-31 midway through the quarter, they led by double digits practically the entire quarter as well.

San Beda showed some life behind center Sudan Daniels and guards Maher Villahermosa and Garvo Lanete to trim the Warriors lead all the way down to 55-61, but that was as good as it would get for the Red Lions. Martinez found Espiritu on an alley-oop for a two-handed slam even as the power-leaping forward continued to stymie the inside incursions of San Beda.

Martinez and Acuna took the game home for UE even as San Beda faltered in the end-game. Acuna led all scorers with 27 points including 4-6 from trey range. Llagas contributed 14 markers of his own, while Espiritu had 14 rebounds and six blocks, three on Daniels.

Daniels still managed to lead San Beda with 16 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks.

gabriel
04-24-2009, 09:25 PM
thank you for the update :)

"new head coach Lawrence Chongson's boys ran their halfcourt sets fluidy, moved very well without the ball, constantly found the open men, and overall just displayed a more efficient and effective game compared to the Red Lions"

it looks like UE displayed a team game! this is good news :)

Schortsanitis
04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
What the hell did they feed Val Acuna the last couple of months for him to suddenly come out shooting on all cylinders?

chez_moi
04-24-2009, 10:03 PM
What the hell did they feed Val Acuna the last couple of months for him to suddenly come out shooting on all cylinders?*

Meron naman talagang ibubuga itong bata na ito, binabangko lang ni Dindo Pumaren, mga tatlo pa yung magagaling dyan na di ginagamit, mabuti naman at binibiyan ni Coach Lawrence ang mga batang ito ng pagkakataon na maipakita ang kanilang galing.

Schortsanitis
04-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he did play for about two seasons at UE's Team B, had a good pre-season last year, but not-so-great regular UAAP season last year with UE's Team A. This year he is having a terrific pre-season, I hope he breaks out in the regular season this year.

gabriel
04-25-2009, 01:43 AM
link:
http://www.inboundpass.com/2009/04/25/dlsu-wins-anew-stags-warriors-triumph-in-filoil-tourney/

DLSU wins anew; Stags, Warriors triumph in Filoil tourney
by Mia Domingo

SQUADS that made waves for their off-season recruits made the biggest splashes in the 2009 Filoil Flying V Manny V. Pangilinan Cup last April 24, 2009 at the Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan City.

San Sebastian College-Recoletos pulled off a debut win against National University, 70-66. The Stags, now mentored by former PBA star Ato Agustin, were led by veteran Jimbo Aquino, who jumpstarted his squad by netting nine of his 17 points in the first quarter. Their biggest lead stood at 12, 26-14, at the end of the opening 10 minutes.

The Bulldogs, however, bit back through an 8-0 run midway in the final period to trim the Stags’ lead to three, 65-62, with under two minutes in the ballgame. However, it wasn’t enough to lift the Sampaloc quintet over the hump.

Mark Bringas chipped in with 14 points for the NCAA squad while Elmer Fabula paced the Bulldogs with 13.

In the second match, De La Salle University streaked past the Mapua Cardinals, 91-69. The Cardinals never saw daylight in the entire match as four Archers, led by former De La Salle Zobel standout Joshua Webb, netted double-figures in scoring. Webb had 14 points, while rookie Gab Banal and Peejay Barua combined for 26.

The game marked yet another double-digit scoring performance for Arvie Bringas, who scored 10 points. The Green Archers dominated the entire game, leading by as many as 27 points. For the second straight game, Edwin Cornejo led Mapua with 16 points.

The nightcap was a rematch of last summer’s Filoil Finals as the University of the East Red Warriors and San Beda Red Lions locked horns anew, with the Recto unit emerging victorious, 69-62. Val Acuña, who also led his team in the tournament it won in Las Vegas, had 27 markers to lead all scorers. Slam jams from the Red Lions’ American slotman Sudan Daniel were overshadowed by a number of solid blocks from the UE camp and a well-executed alley-oop play finished off by Elmer Espiritu from James Martinez at the 4:13 mark of the third quarter.

Daniel led the Red Lions, now with a win-loss record of 2-1, with 16 points.

The scores:

First game
San Sebastian 70 – Aquino 17, Bringas 14, Bulawan 9, Abueva 8, Semira 6, del Rio 5, Raymundo 4, Najorda 3, Gatchalian 2, Gusi 2, Gatchalian 0, Maconocido 0, Sangalang 0, Pascual 0, Bartolo 0.

NU 66 – Fabula 13, Cabaluna 8, Hermosisima 7, Batac 7, Tungcul 6, Ponferrada 6, Roy 6, Terso 5, Donahue 4, Manito 4, Singh 0, Luy 0, Calma 0, Magat 0.

Quarter scores: 26-14, 40-36, 58-47, 70-66

Second game
De La Salle 91 – Webb 14, Banal 13, Barua 13, Mangahas 9, Atkins 8, Andrada 6, Tolentino 5, Villanueva 4, Malabes 2, Reyes 2, Ferdinand 0, Co 0.

Mapua 69 – Cornejo 16, Mangahas 14, Sarangay 8, Cinco 8, Guillermo 7, Pascual 6, Soriano 6, Acosta 2, Espinosa 2.

Quarter scores: 26-15, 45-30, 69-47, 91-69

Third game
UE 69 – Acuña 27, Llagas 14, Espiritu 9, Lee 9, Martinez 7, Zamar 3, Tagarda 0, Alabanza 0, Bandaying 0, Duran 0, Reyes 0.

San Beda 62 – Daniel 16, Taganas 10, Lanete 9, Pascual 7, Villahermosa 5, Marcelo 5, Tirona 4, Gamalinda 4, Tecson 2, Villanueva 0, Soliman 0, Lim 0.

Quarter scores: 15-18, 36-27, 56-44, 69-62

gabriel
04-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he did play for about two seasons at UE's Team B, had a good pre-season last year, but not-so-great regular UAAP season last year with UE's Team A.* This year he is having a terrific pre-season, I hope he breaks out in the regular season this year.

yes he did, actually he's part of our 2004 Team-A, 2005-2006 Team-B, 2007-2008 Team-A again, and most likely 2009 Team-A.

gider
04-25-2009, 02:15 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/Fil%20Oil%20%20Summer%2009/IMG_9533.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/Fil%20Oil%20%20Summer%2009/IMG_9506.jpg

gabriel
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
nice pictures! thank you for sharing :)

redbutcher
04-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Plz post here....

redbutcher
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
UE Red Warriors The lost of head coach tactician Dindo Pumaren is a big damage for the warriors' quintet, replace by Lawrence Chongson. Why don't they choose UE alumni instead (JAWORSKI, CAIDIC or CODINERA) so that the coaching staff will have what we call "LOYALTY" to the team, playing with heart and blood of a true warrior.

Veteran Marcy ARellano is also elevated to professional league (PBA). The team is a young squad that's why Arellano's service could affect the play. BUt still Paul Lee, the number one scorer of the PBL will definitely step up and his acrobatic moves. I hope the style of playing he has in the PBL wll be adapted to UAAP to act as their #1 offensive option especially in crunch time. I also put credit to the efforts of the "defensive stopper" Elmer Espiritu. His jumping ability and defensive awareness plays a vital role in the team to gain that hardly earned "W". Shooters are not a problem for this team since we all know how deadly James Martinez is from beyond the arc, hitting 3 after 3 even in crucial part of the game. He is the shooter that they need to break those Zone Defense by the opposing team. I would also like to mention surprise cagers like Paul Zamar that is getting his touches in the game slowly but surely, and I know the fact that this young man can put up big shots for the team and a future go to guy. Lastly, warriors is a run and gun type of team therefore they need big man to grab those rebounds for possession and Hans Thiele is charged for that job, he is a tall guy who has that leaping ability for defense and offense as well. He is a walking double-double!!

gameface_one
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Moving your post to the Red Warriors' Camp since the same is specific and focused on the said squad. Also, no need to create a seaprate thread on News and Updates since there is already one existing. You may open a specific topic instead. Thanks.

ewe_rach
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he did play for about two seasons at UE's Team B, had a good pre-season last year, but not-so-great regular UAAP season last year with UE's Team A. This year he is having a terrific pre-season, I hope he breaks out in the regular season this year.

Paano nga maipapakita ang galing kung hindi naman napaglalaro ng tama. Ikaw ba kaya mong ipakita shooting skill mo kung wala pang 5 minuto, ni hindi ka pa nag-iinit eh papaupuin ka na agad?! Yan ang hindi ko maintindihan kay coach Dindo noon. Oh well, I hope lahat ng players ng UE ay mabigyan ng pagkakataon.

ewe_rach
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
UE Red Warriors The lost of head coach tactician Dindo Pumaren is a big damage for the warriors' quintet, replace by Lawrence Chongson. Why don't they choose UE alumni instead (JAWORSKI, CAIDIC or CODINERA) so that the coaching staff will have what we call "LOYALTY" to the team, playing with heart and blood of a true warrior.

Veteran Marcy ARellano is also elevated to professional league (PBA). The team is a young squad that's why Arellano's service could affect the play. BUt still Paul Lee, the number one scorer of the PBL will definitely step up and his acrobatic moves. I hope the style of playing he has in the PBL wll be adapted to UAAP to act as their #1 offensive option especially in crunch time. I also put credit to the efforts of the "defensive stopper" Elmer Espiritu. His jumping ability and defensive awareness plays a vital role in the team to gain that hardly earned "W". Shooters are not a problem for this team since we all know how deadly James Martinez is from beyond the arc, hitting 3 after 3 even in crucial part of the game. He is the shooter that they need to break those Zone Defense by the opposing team. I would also like to mention surprise cagers like Paul Zamar that is getting his touches in the game slowly but surely, and I know the fact that this young man can put up big shots for the team and a future go to guy. Lastly, warriors is a run and gun type of team therefore they need big man to grab those rebounds for possession and Hans Thiele is charged for that job, he is a tall guy who has that leaping ability for defense and offense as well. He is a walking double-double!!

He has used up his playing years, he wont be back for the warriors next season..leave that job to Espiritu and Llagas (and hopefully, Noble).

Schortsanitis
04-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Paano nga maipapakita ang galing kung hindi naman napaglalaro ng tama. Ikaw ba kaya mong ipakita shooting skill mo kung wala pang 5 minuto, ni hindi ka pa nag-iinit eh papaupuin ka na agad?! Yan ang hindi ko maintindihan kay coach Dindo noon. Oh well, I hope lahat ng players ng UE ay mabigyan ng pagkakataon.

Well, I hope Lawrence Chongson can maintain, or even exceed UE's achievements under Dindo Pumaren.

Wang-Bu
04-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Walang mabangis na hugot para sa taon na ito ang mga anak ni Lualhati, ngunit nakita naman natin na lalaban ng sabayan at hindi hinihingal ang ating mga bata.

Solid na ang perimeter natin gawa nina Val, Paul at James, at nariyan pa rin naman sina Lucas, Raffy at Alamat.

Mas inaalala ko ang mga poste dahil tatatlo lang ang solid natin, sina Elmer, Pari at John kung sakali. Sana lang mabigyan ng pagkakataon sina Jairold, JM, Erwin at Ken. Kakailanganin natin ang mas maraming malalaki na gagawa kahit tig-limang minuto lang sila kada laro para hindi naman magastado masyado sina Elmer at Pari.

pokpok
05-04-2009, 03:43 AM
malaki pa rin ang tiwala ko sa mga WARRIORS NATIN!!! WE WLL SEE!!! sana top 4 pa din tayo...
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UE!!!

dinerdash
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM

But why is that I noticed na di sya ginagamit ngayon sa Fil-oil? Mas gamit pa yung mga rookies kaysa sa kanya. Napansin nyo din ba?

chez_moi
05-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Panalo tayo kanina sa Filoil kontra CSB Blazers 75-54, Si Paul Lee top-scorer!

pokpok
05-08-2009, 03:22 AM
gs2 ko talunin nila ang ADMU, DLSU at FEU... at sana manalo tau ng malaki ang lamang...para malaman na rin natin kung papano haharap ang warriors sa MALALAKAS na team

ewe_rach
05-08-2009, 04:03 AM
gs2 ko talunin nila ang ADMU, DLSU at FEU... at sana manalo tau ng malaki ang lamang...para malaman na rin natin kung papano haharap ang warriors sa MALALAKAS na team

Hindi naman kasi good gauge ang mga off-season tournaments dahil dito lang sinusbukan ang mga bagong istilo ng laro, play, etc. pwede ring ito ang panahon para hubugin ng maayos ang team. Hindi basehan ang pakapanalo ngayong off-seasons sa darating na UAAP season.

ewe_rach
05-08-2009, 04:13 AM

But why is that I noticed na di sya ginagamit ngayon sa Fil-oil? Mas gamit pa yung mga rookies kaysa sa kanya. Napansin nyo din ba?

Okay lang naman yun sa ngayon para naman makita ni coach ang kakayanan nung rookies. Alam naman niya ang laro at istilo ni Zamar kaya walang problema yun. Panigurado ngayong UAAP season na ito kasama lagi yan sa prioirty ni coach.

dinerdash
05-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Okay lang naman yun sa ngayon para naman makita ni coach ang kakayanan nung rookies. Alam naman niya ang laro at istilo ni Zamar kaya walang problema yun. Panigurado ngayong UAAP season na ito kasama lagi yan sa prioirty ni coach.

Ginagamit mostly ay PBL players. If you are able to watch UE's games dito sa Fil-Oil, of all the players, Zamar is not being given a chance to play. Gagamitin sya 2-5mins, mahina o malakas man ang kalaban.

pokpok
05-24-2009, 04:33 AM
ano na kaya nangyari sa UE-DLSU game sa FILOIL???

red18
05-24-2009, 03:14 PM
UE will have a good chance in making the final four. but dlsu and admu will meet for the championship :D

gabriel
05-24-2009, 04:48 PM
i feel a FEU - Ateneo finale, Tamaraws will win (pero syempre, gusto ko UE manalo this year :D )

dinerdash
05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
ano na kaya nangyari sa UE-DLSU game sa FILOIL???

It was resched because Cobra will be playing in PBL.

sa_pula
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
totoo bang may narecruit ang ue na garric ayala?info naman sa batang ito ::)

Wang-Bu
05-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Good news: nag-eensayo na sa UE si Sam Razon, na dating nasa San Beda at naglaro last season sa UCLAA para sa NCBA

Bad news: na-release na ng Registrar ng NCBA ang honorable dismissal ni Razon ngunit biglang hinarang nung athletic director ayon sa tatay mismo ni Razon

Ang suspecha ko ay business as usual: gusto pang kotongan nung athletic director si Razon bago i-release.

Ito lang naman ang akin: sino bang tusong lapuk ang nagpauso nung dapat bayaran ang pinanggalingang paaralan bago mag-release ng player?

Hindi ba't extortion ang tawag sa ganitong gawain, na labag sa ating mga batas? Ibig bang sabihin walang karapatan ang isang bata na pumunta sa kanyang kursunadang paaralan?

Ang pinalalabas sa usaping ito dapat mag-"reimbursement" ang UE sa NCBA sa "ginastos" nila kay Razon nung nandun siya ng dalawang semester. Anong klaseng kalapukan naman 'yan?

Kumuha ka ng player. Ang obligasyon mo sa player bigyan siya ng libreng aral (scholarship) at konting allowance (kung meron man), kung galing lalawigan o ibang bansa at walang natutuluyan, bigyan mo ng quarters o dorm.

Ano obligasyon ng player? Mag-aral (sana), mag-ensayo (dapat), maglaro (lalong dapat).

Ibig sabihin, lahat ng "gastos" nung paaralan ay may katumbas na "trabaho" sa panig naman ng player. "Gumastos" ang paaralan at "pinagtrabahuhan" naman ni player.

Ngayon ayaw na ni player sa paaralan, lilipat na siya sa ibang paaralan. Bakit "maniningil" ang paaralan?

Kung maniningil ang paaralan, ibig bang sabihin pwede ding maningil si player? Hindi ba't tinumbasan naman ni player ng trabaho sa ensayo at laro ang "binayad" sa kanya ng paaralan?

Higit pa diyan, mayroong mas malaki at mahalagang issue: hindi ba't karapatan ng bawat mag-aaral na pumili ng nais niyang pasukang paaralan?

Kung wala ka namang utang sa tuition (may scholarship ka nga eh), wala kang utang sa ibang bagay (hindi ka nakabasag ng test tube sa lab kunwari, o hindi mo naman winasak ang goal nung dumakdak ka sa mga ensayo ninyo) bakit hindi ka pwedeng lumipat ng paaralan?

Bayad na lahat ng processing para sa honorable dismissal, ibibigay na lang ng registrar, nung dumating ang tatay para kunin ang HD biglang tumawag si athletic director at bigla ding ayaw ng ibigay ni registrar ang HD ni Razon. Ano 'yon? Ibig palang sabihin wala naman na pala talagang atraso sa NCBA si Razon, pumapel lang si athletic director. "Kausapin" pa daw muna si athletic director.

Ano 'yon? Ano kinalaman ng isang athletic director sa pag-release ng HD ng isang estudyante? Ni hindi nga kasali ang PE department o athletics office sa mga dinadaanang clearance, biglang pwede na palang harangin ng ganun-ganun lang?

Si Razon ay nasa 6-5, athletic na 4/5, nakakadakdak galing sa drop step at sa pivot, wala nga lang pukol lampas ng mga dalawang metro.

Sabi nga ni Sir Joe: magka-bone cancer sana mga humahadlang sa release ni Sam Razon.

Wang-Bu
05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Nakaligtaan ko: ito nga palang si Razon ay naligaw sa Informatics bago napuntang UE. Naka-dalawang FMC tournament para sa Informatics itong si Razon bago pumuntang UE.

Kung ako sa UE, yaman rin lang marami akong magagaling na abogado, idedemanda ko ng personal at derecho si athletic director ng NCBA, kasi sang-ayon sa salaysay ng tatay ni Sam mukha namang ginawa na ng registrar ang trabaho niya, ito nang si athletic director ang nagpaka-tuso at lapuk. Ewan ko lang pero mukhang kompleto elements ng extortion sa kasong ito. Ano ba masasabi ng mga abogado natin dito?

sa_pula
05-29-2009, 09:58 AM
sir wang-bu maglalaro na ba sya ngayon taon o magre residency muna sya ng isa o dalawang taon?kamusta naman yung sinasabi nilang garric ayala na nabasa ko sa forum ng ue. May nabanggit din don na may import na daw ang ue?

tsikamajigs
05-29-2009, 03:56 PM
^ 1 year lang residency niyan.

gabriel
05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
pareng Wang-bu. Good News yan! ;D

pokpok
05-30-2009, 05:15 AM
bongga naman yan.....

pokpok
06-04-2009, 03:46 AM
WIN DAW TAYO SA DLSU... at umabot pa daw ng 20 ang lamang...

Wang-Bu
06-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Nag-umpisang tila nang-aasar si Coach Lawrence Chongson nung i-starting 5 niya sina Noy Pelopero, John Noble at iba pang hilaw na banko ng UE. Ngunit makalipas ang unang half ng labanan alam na ng lahat na kay Chongson at sa UE ang huling halakhak. Umabot ng 45-27 ang lamang bandang huli ng pangalawang kanto, at nanatili pa din sa 18 puntos sa 57-39 kalagitnaan ng pangatlong kanto. Ang final score ay 74-63 para sa mga Anak Ni Lualhati.

Nagpakitang gilas sina Paul Lee, Elmer Espiritu at James Martinez sa pagbubuslo mula sa tres, samantalang sumabay din sa pukpukan ang mga role players na sina Ken Acibar, John Alabanza at Erwin Duran upang tulungan ang mga beterano sa paghagupit sa Lasalle. Hindi nakaporma ang mga bata ni Coach Franz Pumaren na tila naghahagilap ng tamang porma. May ilang beses sinubukang atatin ng may ADHD na si Joshua Webb si Lee sa pamamagitan ng pagsiko at pag-halampas balikat sa star natin, ngunit ininda lang ni Lee at ginawang asintahan ang maangas na Lasalista.

Naka-16 points si Lee samantalang naka-14 si Espiritu kasama na ang 13 rebounds at tatlong supalpal, dalawa dun kontra kay Webb na nagpupumilit sa loob.

christian
06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
ADHD!!! hehehe...

fujitsu
06-04-2009, 03:14 PM
ADHD!!! hehehe...
;D

bchoter
06-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Pare pinaasa din kami kay Sam Razon nung nasa Informatics pa. Ang kinahantungan tinawag kaming "kuripot".

gfy
06-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Just like FEU, UE's first 12 are good and experienced. This was shown in the UE-DLSU game where Chongson made a few platoon substitutions and UE still maintained a 4-8 point lead in the first half. Espiritu's 3-pt. shot has improved and he is now avoiding ticky-tacky fouls which put him in foul trouble the previous seasons. Another thing is the leadership being provided by Espiritu, Llagas and Lee. Their other big men - Duran, Alabanza, Acibar and Pelopero - are improving as well. They might just break into the finals again this season.

batangueño
06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Filoil: UE def. FEU. I don't have the scores though.

gfy
06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
^ Barocca, Cawaling and Ramos of FEU did not play.

stonecold316
06-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Mukhang malakas pa din ang UE this year.
Coach Chongson is a nice fit sa UE team.
magaling mag motivate ng players.

pokpok
06-06-2009, 05:31 AM
stonecold kamusta long time no see...
sana nga maging bagay si coach sa UE RED WARRIORS...

Sam Miguel
06-06-2009, 02:34 PM
It was tough to gauge how good UE was in their Fil Oil victory over FEU. As mentioned by GFY, FEU was without two starters and their first center off the bench.

Still, UE did display a lot of the same things they showed versus other powerhouses like Lasalle and San Beda - speed, firepower from the perimeter, and the wondrous improvement of veteran forward Elmer Espiritu.

Many people say that this is now Paul Lee's team. The truth is that these Warriors can live without Lee, but I doubt they will live without Elmer Espiritu. Espiritu provides security off both boards, blocks enemy shots and messes with those he does not block, and generally makes life difficult for entire opposing frontlines. Lee may be the leading scorer, but those are points that could be made up by various combinations of James Martinez, Raffy Reyes, Apul Zamar, Lucas Tagarda, Rudy Linganay and even Val Acuna. Take away the double-digit rebounding production and nearly two blocks per game averages of Espiritu though and UE will wither and die.

gabriel
06-06-2009, 09:22 PM
ang akin lang, we should give our new coach time to prove his worth. maybe, after this season we can assess how things will work out in the future. if he fails, then he is all yours ;D, bahala na kayo kung ano ang gusto n'yong sabihin sa kanya ;D, but for now we have to support him all the way.

Schortsanitis
06-06-2009, 11:26 PM
After a rousing start, Val Acuna is now again slowly fading away .....

Sam Miguel
06-07-2009, 08:50 AM
^^^ Val Acuna seems to be fading just as Paul Lee is steadily claiming this team as his own. Lee takes the same shots as Acuna, and there seems no room in the play book of new coach Lawrence Chongson for two scorers at the same time. Acuna is not exactly a second option-type who can clean up and make something happen after a first option goes south. Lee is the first option, and he normally gets it done as a first option. Unfortunately for Acuna, his mentality is also as a first option. That is why in games he has done well, he normally got going early on, with his first touch. Their games in the US, he got good first touches and got into a rhythm early on. He has not gotten the same touches and the same opportunities the deeper the Fil Oil tournament gets.

Perhaps Chongson should use Acuna more as the sixth man and have him come off that bench firing. That will make him a first option, just that he is the first option coming off the bench. As a second unit guy, he can easily out-shoot any other second unit guy. OR maybe Lee can come off the bench and have Acuna be the first option on the starting five. Either way, Acuna has to get his touches and fire away early on to get into a rhythm.

pokpok
06-11-2009, 03:10 AM
basta sana na lang.... TEAM work ang gumana sa UAAP... hindi na importante kung sino ang magaling or what..
sana magtulungan na lang silang makuha ang korona.....

Joescoundrel
06-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Warriors duel Tamaraws for FilOil crown

By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 03:04:00 06/13/2009

MANILA, Philippines - University of the East returns to the finals of the FilOil Flying V Pre-Season MVP Cup, but faces a new foe in Far Eastern University.

The Warriors halted San Sebastian’s off-the-form run with a 90-84 triumph to clinch the first championship berth, but the Tamaraws spoiled a repeat of last year’s title showdown by tripping the San Beda Red Lions, 64-58, in the Final Four last night at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Paul Lee knocked in a game-high 26 points for the Warriors, who pulled off the victory minus several key players.

“We were down by six men,” said UE coach Lawrence Chongson. “They were stricken by flu and they have to be checked. But the boys’ didn’t give up. We need this kind of game to test the team’s maturity.”

Reihl Cervantes drilled 19 markers and rookie guard Ryan Roose Garcia added 15 as the Tamaraws upset the three-time NCAA champion Lions.

Elmer Espiritu buried 19 points and grabbed 14 rebounds for the Warriors, while Rudy Lingganay played a key role in the clutch to turn a 74-73 lead into an 80-73 advantage.

The Warriors played minus the veteran pair of Pari Llagas and Toto Bandaying and role players John Rey Albanza, Kenneth Acibar, Erwin Duran and John Michael Noble.

Jimbo Aquino shot 21 points to lead the unheralded Stags, who surprisingly won seven of eight games to reach the semifinals.

The scores:

First Game
UE 90—Lee 26, Espiritu 19, Martinez 10, Zamar 9, Acuna 8, Flores 8, Lingganay 4, Reyes 4, Sumido 2.

SAN SEBASTIAN 84—Aquino 21, Cuevas 17, Maconicido 16, Sangalang 8, Semira 5, Raymundo 7, Pascual 4, Najorda 4, Del Rio 2.
Quarters: 16-21, 42-41, 64-65, 90-84

Second Game
FEU 64—Cervantes 19, Garcia 15, Cawaling 10, Barroca 8, Eguilos 6, Nuondu 4, Tanuan 2

SAN BEDA 58—Pascual 14, Gamalinda 12, Tecson 10, Marcelo 8, Daniel 6, Lanete 4, Villahermosa 3, Tirona 1.
Quarters: 21-10, 37-28, 49-44, 64-58

mighty_lion
06-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Observation ko lang. Dapat yata bawasan ng konti ang role ni Paul Lee pagnasaloob sya ng court. Masyadong stagnant yong galaw ng bola at halos walang gamit yong apat na players sa loob everytime nasa kamay ni Lee yong bola. While its hard to deny Lee's talent and improvements, parang bumabalik ang UE sa era na merong Bonbon Custodio. Alam mo na kung sino ang titira. Kahapon nung second half mas nahirapan ang Baste pag nasa bench si Lee dahil naiikot yong bola.

And kudos to UE's patience in dealing with SSCR's physical play. Part of growing up. :)

sa_pula
06-13-2009, 02:59 PM
share ko lang nabasa ko sa ue warriors thread sa pex...

btw iquote kolang yung friend ko about sa game ng ue-feu before yung game kahapon..madumi kasi maglaro si knuttel..sobrang yabang pa..the quote is about james and knuttel..ang nagkwento sa kanya is paul zamar..:

"Naalala ko yung kwento nya nung Thursday, may game daw UE vs. FEU tapos magkatapat si Martinez at si Knuttel.. dinuraan daw ni Knuttel si James sa braso.. gumanti ang James (as in super dumahak daw) at dumerecho sa lalamunan ni Knuttel.. masuka suka si Paul Z. habang kinukwento nya haha laughtrip.. angal ng angal sa ref si Knuttel pero di pinansin haha.. So sa Monday, duraan na.. hahaha!"

preview yan ng magiging game sa monday..haha..

tanda ko last year sa fr.martin's sinikmuraan ni knuttel si marcy..si marcy gumanti siniko sya sa muka..kaya lang si marcy nahuli ng ref...thrown-out sya..tsk..

;D

batangueño
06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Any confirmation or denial to rumors that James Martinez suffered a season ending ACL injury? ???

sa_pula
06-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Kung totoo ito..hindi pa naman season ending kay martinez..maaarin pa syang bumalik at maglaro next season dahil hindi pa naman sya nakapaglaro ngayong parating na season..23 pa lang naman siya ngayong taon next season 24 so hindi nya mararating yung 25y.o na max age limit. :)

KingRedLion
06-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Kung totoo ito..hindi pa naman season ending kay martinez..maaarin pa syang bumalik at maglaro next season dahil hindi pa naman sya nakapaglaro ngayong parating na season..23 pa lang naman siya ngayong taon next season 24 so hindi nya mararating yung 25y.o na max age limit. :)

What batangueño meant was if this was an injury that James Martinez could no longer play with this upcoming UAAP season 72. Season-ending lang naman di naman collegiate ball playing days are over or career-threatening.

sa_pula
06-16-2009, 01:15 AM
^^ yup my bad :D UAAP career ending kasi naiisip ko sori sir batangueno ;D

gabriel
06-16-2009, 01:22 AM
this is bad news, specially if the line up was already submitted to the uaap board (for approval). as in, final na yun, kaya if ever we will be down by 1 player thru out the competition. just like (i think) what happened to DLSU's Batricevic, a couple of years back.

gabriel
06-16-2009, 01:30 AM
to add, if that's really the scenario, he will used up his final year (of eligibility) without even playing a single minute in the uaap. so, let's just hope na hindi pa na submit yung line up.

coreytaylor
06-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Kung may katotohanan man to, ARAY naman!

batangueño
06-16-2009, 06:04 PM
As posted by nash_bedista on PEX regarding the status of James Martinez:

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36344234&postcount=663

guys...

James Martinez sustained a ACL...

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36344560&postcount=669

^^ oo bro, one of his friend from San Beda texted me
to confirmed it. And yes, ACL daw talaga. One year
therapy for James Martinez. Damn it, malas lang
sa kapwa ko bedista..

There were reports that Martinez sustained the ACL injury during the Warriors' Filoil game against the FEU Tamaraws.

Joescoundrel
06-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Far Eastern University survived a last-ditch stand from hell from their university belt neighbors University of the East to claim the Fil Oil Flying V MVP Cup 84 - 78 in front of a raucous crowd at the Arena in San Juan.

FEU stormed to the 47-25 lead at the lemon time break built upon the relentless transition attacks of Smart Gilas national team players Mark "Babyface" Barroca and JR Cawaling as well as strongman center-forward Reil Cervantes. Center Glen Eguilos, emergent superstar Ryan Roose Garcia and Cameroonian forward Pipo Nuondoo also joined the attack as the Red Warriors were reeling from the wave upon wave of Tamaraw baskets.

UE looked shocked and awed and ready to call it a day in the first half. None of their shots were falling, passes were going awry, and the defense, long a staple of UE, seemed to have gone on an early vacation. After an early James Martinez three-pointer, things quickly headed south for the UE game. Power-leaping forward Elmer Espiritu, who displayed a much-improved offensive game in this tournament, couldn't find the bottom of the net. Paul Lee, the new superstar for the red and white, ran into all sorts of trouble trying to penetrate the FEU zone. Head coach Lawrence Chongson went to his bench early and they just could not deliver.

Showing all the frustration within, Chongson charged a referee right in the middle of the court, got called for the technical foul, and was automatically ejected from the playing court for laying hands on a game official. As he left he took his starting unit with him. Espiritu, Lee, Martinez, Val Acuna and Rudy Linganay left the floor and followed their coach to the dugout early in the third period.

FEU smelled the kill already and were up as much as 61-38. But the UE bench dug deep and suddenly put up a fight that seemed to stun the Tamaraws. Paul Zamar cut up the FEU defense with his dribble-penetration and one-man early offense. Lucas Tagarda nailed a trey from their left quarter court then followed that up with a short jumper. Jairold Flores, a former RP Youth Team member, and centers Ken Acibar and John Alabanza took turns pounding the ball inside against the bigger and more experienced Tamaraws with alacrity. By the time the quarter ended it was down 67-55 for FEU.

In the payoff fourth period, Chongson finally sent his starters back to their bench, and they could not have come at a better time. FEU had opened up another 18-point lead. But Acuna, Martinez and Lee went on a 14-0 tear that made it 75-80 with still two minutes left on a drive by Martinez. Action however came to a halt as Martinez had to be brought off the court in a stretcher.

An Acuna trey made it 78-80 with some 39 seconds remaining. FEU head coach Glen Capacio sued for time. FEU then leaned on Garcia for the insurance freethrows and the final count.

"I'm glad we pulled out the win, it was tough but the boys kept their cool, UE is a really tough opponent," said Capacio in a post-game interview. "Hopefully this will give us some momentum going into the UAAP, sana nga nagdere-derecho na," he added.

Garcia was named tournament MVP, while Lee, Espiritu, Cervantes and Sudan Daniels joined him in the Mythical 5. Cawaling led FEU with 20 points while Garcia had 17. Lee had 16 for UE while Acuna added 15.

Martinez was rushed to the St Luke's hospital and was confirmed with an ACL injury.

anthony00
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Martinez was rushed to the St Luke's hospital and was confirmed with an ACL injury.

If the warriors really have the guts to come back from hell and battle it all out against FEU, with coach chongson and the starting five out of the court, then the James Martinez incident could be patched up with sole determination of each and every warrior that will play in the upcoming season. Lets face the fact that Martinez may not be able to play at all in the UAAP season, but the hunger remains for the remaining squad, and all we have to do is to show them the support they need.

I'd still remain egging on my alma mater's squad! ^^

gfy
06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
It;s sad to learn of Martinez' injury. This is supposed to be his final year. Lingganay, Zamar, Reyes and Bandaying just have to make up for Martinez although they are not as reliable shooters as Martinez but good enough.

oca
06-17-2009, 07:37 PM
From the time of Custodio, Martinez was the only player in that line-up who has the courage to take "game-defining" shots. Siya lang ang may ganyang katangian, until the emergence of Paul Lee.

Will his absence affect UE's game?

Yes.

But does it really matter?

No.

Why?

Chongson has instituted a very predictable offense. Sa bawat possesion, pag nasa loob si Paul Lee, alam mo na kung saan mapupunta ang bola.

Pero may solusyon yan, Chongson should solicit 2 technical fouls from the refs early in the game. Then, Rene Baena will be the one coaching the team for the rest of the game. Maniwala kayo, malaking kabutihan yan para sa UE.

mighty_lion
06-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Chongson has instituted a very predictable offense. Sa bawat possesion, pag nasa loob si Paul Lee, alam mo na kung saan mapupunta ang bola.

Same observation. Sobrang limited ang ball movement pagnasa loob si Lee.

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Siya na pala ang bagong King James after James Yap. LEEbron. ;D

nash_bedista
06-18-2009, 11:26 AM

at pag nagkaroon ng broken play, sureball play 1 sila.. isolation kay paul lee

pokpok
07-02-2009, 03:23 AM
malapit na ang UAAP... eto na to.. sana kahit wala si james martinez makaya pa rin ng team ang laban....

jayloui
07-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Lee, on his first game of the season, proved that he does not need to do it all for the Warriors.. His seven assists is a testament that he does get the ball much, but he's more than willing to share, and make his teammates look good. Llagas will not be the player of the game without hisd assists.. If Llagas converted all the baskets handed to him by Lee, then he could've ended the game with 25 points...

chez_moi
11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Malapit na Sweet Sixteen sa PCCL, makikita na ba natin mga rookies dito? Televised ba?

red_engr1987
11-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Is there any news on the recovery of James Martinez?? I hope he will recover soon & play for us next year.

Wang-Bu
11-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Nagpa-practice na po si James Martinez. Kaya lang sina Rene Baena at Nel Parado ang nagpapatakbo ng practice at nasa Las Vegas pa yata ang magbarkadang Bong at Lawrence.

paolo
11-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Nagpa-practice na po si James Martinez. Kaya lang sina Rene Baena at Nel Parado ang nagpapatakbo ng practice at nasa Las Vegas pa yata ang magbarkadang Bong at Lawrence.
;) I saw him yesterday and he talked about how happy he was with his rehabilitation. He was very thankful to Dr. Canlas and his team of rehabilitation specialists. In fact, even his built now is well defined unlike before.
UE will still be a power to reckoned with in the next season with Paul Lee, James Martinez, Raffy Reyes and Paul Zamar still playing for UE! They might have lost in Elmer Espiritu and Pari Llagas but Ateneo had lost three of its mainstays Rabeh, Nonoy and Jai.

zoom2k7
12-14-2009, 03:31 AM
totoo bang wala na sila gil wagas and ryan monteclaro sa UE?sa adamson na ata naka enroll si monteclaro..?totoo ba to mga ue insiders?

paolo
12-31-2009, 08:40 PM
totoo bang wala na sila gil wagas and ryan monteclaro sa UE?sa adamson na ata naka enroll si monteclaro..?totoo ba to mga ue insiders?
Yes, nasa adamson na si ryan and gil wagas returned to his hometown

ghost09
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
how about sumang , is he still with ue?

zoom2k7
01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
ano kaya nangyari kila gil wagas at monteclaro bakit sila nag transfer?

as for shej roi sumang nakita ko sa profile nya naka enroll pa siya sa

UE university daw.... yun ang nakalagay sa profile. . =)

Wang-Bu
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Maganda ang pinapakita ni Adrian Santos sa practice, baka siya na ang isa sa mga stepping up sa Season 73 lalo na at wala ng mga beterano natin na big man. Medyo sumusubok na din siyang mag-expand ng laro niya, mas tumututok sa pagdala ng bola, pagpasa at dinadagdagan ang kanyang mga outside shooting drills. Baka mas maglalaro siya bilang Tres kaysa Kwatro o Sinco pagdating ng UAAP.

Wang-Bu
01-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Samantala, ang magaling na John Alabanza naman pala ay nahumaling sa isang mayaman na matrona at naglaho na mula sa quarters. Nung huli kaming magkausap hindi na daw siya maglalaro, mag-aaral na lang daw siya at gagawin ang lahat upang mapaligaya ang kanyang Azucarera De Mama... ;D Ganyan ang tunay na WARRIOR!

chez_moi
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Sige lang, wala din naman silbi si Alabanza ;D

Sir Wang-Bu ano balita kay James Martinez at sa ating mga Rookies? Na-eeksayt ako sa tatlo eh.

sa_pula
01-05-2010, 11:01 PM
si razon ba yung sinasabing nasa poder na ng mga tigre? mukha yatang walang pahihinatnan ang recruitment ng koponan ngayon. Magkakasya na lang ba ang ue kay adrian santos? oh may gulay mukhang madilim na landas ang ating tatahakin sa susunod na season..

chez_moi
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
si razon ba yung sinasabing nasa poder na ng mga tigre? mukha yatang walang pahihinatnan ang recruitment ng koponan ngayon. Magkakasya na lang ba ang ue kay adrian santos? oh may gulay mukhang madilim na landas ang ating tatahakin sa susunod na season..

Saan mo nabalitaan yung kay Sam Razon? Di ba nagpa-praktis na sa atin yun, nasa Team B?

sa_pula
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Nabasa ko lang sa usap usapan ;D na injured daw ang bata at dinala na ng ama sa kampo ng mga tigre dun na yata maglalaro.

gabriel
01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Maganda ang pinapakita ni Adrian Santos sa practice, baka siya na ang isa sa mga stepping up sa Season 73 lalo na at wala ng mga beterano natin na big man. Medyo sumusubok na din siyang mag-expand ng laro niya, mas tumututok sa pagdala ng bola, pagpasa at dinadagdagan ang kanyang mga outside shooting drills. Baka mas maglalaro siya bilang Tres kaysa Kwatro o Sinco pagdating ng UAAP.

good news yan.

gabriel
01-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Nabasa ko lang sa usap usapan ;D na injured daw ang bata at dinala na ng ama sa kampo ng mga tigre dun na yata maglalaro.

baka naman not operational pa yung RM, kaya sa españa hospital muna naka-confine ;D. kidding aside, if that news is true, our 4 and 5 position will be more depleted.

where did you get the scoop? share mo naman, PM mo na lang sa akin ;D

zoom2k7
01-07-2010, 12:34 AM
uhmmm...nabasa ko nga yun about sa 6'5 '6'6 guy sa ust thread mga weeks ago...well bahala silang mag ama ikutin nila ang buong ubelt at ubusin nila ang 7 year out of his sch eligibility nung bata... ;D sana ok si ezer rosopa.....para may big guy kahit papaano . ..

sa_pula
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM

baka naman not operational pa yung RM, kaya sa españa hospital muna naka-confine ;D. kidding aside, if that news is true, our 4 and 5 position will be more depleted.

where did you get the scoop? share mo naman, PM mo na lang sa akin ;D

bumisita ka sa thread ng ust bro may mababasa ka dun...kung hindi talaga kikilos ang team para sa recruitment baka pulutin tayo sa kangkungan.Masyado yata mas napagtutuunan ng pansin ang pbl stint nila.

paolo
01-11-2010, 11:02 PM
8) yes, he is practicing with the ue red warriors. he will have to sit out this year. He will be eligible to play next year.

paolo
01-11-2010, 11:12 PM

Sir Wang-Bu ano balita kay James Martinez at sa ating mga Rookies? Na-eeksayt ako sa tatlo eh.
:o james Martinez is already practicing with the team. He is more lean now. He had been very thankful and appreciative to Dr. Canlas and coach kyle hindi daw siya pinabayaan sa rehabilitation niya at Moro.

Si Razon hahahaha hindi aalis iyan ng ue. He is working hard to be in shape before the uaap season starts. But the big revelation is resopa he is damn good and has the built to match up with either cervantes or ramos! ;)

sa_pula
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
8) yes, he is practicing with the ue red warriors. he will have to sit out this year. He will be eligible to play next year.

bakit kelangan pa mag sit out?diba ng ue HS yan?

:o james Martinez is already practicing with the team. He is more lean now. He had been very thankful and appreciative to Dr. Canlas and coach kyle hindi daw siya pinabayaan sa rehabilitation niya at Moro.

Si Razon hahahaha hindi aalis iyan ng ue. He is working hard to be in shape before the uaap season starts. But the big revelation is resopa he is damn good and has the built to match up with either cervantes or ramos! ;)

So sa atin pa rin pala si Razon. Ok na me malalaki pa rin pala tayo.

gabriel
01-13-2010, 01:55 AM
that's good news (re: Razon). on Rosopa, hindi lang matangkad ito, he can also shoot from 3pt range. IMO, we need one more big guy, to fill in Alabanza's slot. on Sumang, oo nga, bakit n'ya kailangan to sit out one year?

chez_moi
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Sana totoo nga yan na di umalis si Razon, tayo lang ata walang import sa season na to? Paano kaya tayo lalaban sa mga 6'6 to 6'8 na mga negrong yan? Ilan ba rookies natin ngayon tatlo?

tulf
01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Sana totoo nga yan na di umalis si Razon, tayo lang ata walang import sa season na to? Paano kaya tayo lalaban sa mga 6'6 to 6'8 na mga negrong yan? Ilan ba rookies natin ngayon tatlo?

what a word!!

chez_moi
01-13-2010, 10:16 PM

what a word!!

tagalog loanword lang yan......

gabriel
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM

Rookies meaning fresh out of HS? if ever, si Sumang lang qualified sa description na yan. the rest, college students na (Santos, Razon, Rosopa).

paolo
01-16-2010, 01:20 AM
that's good news (re: Razon). on Rosopa, hindi lang matangkad ito, he can also shoot from 3pt range. IMO, we need one more big guy, to fill in Alabanza's slot. on Sumang, oo nga, bakit n'ya kailangan to sit out one year?
::) anjan pa din naman si erwin duran! tumangkad at lumakas pa siya from last year. He will be a big revelation this season. He is the only remaining legitimate center from last year roster of Coach Lawrence. Ken while tall is more of a 3 or 4 position. Manipis for a 5 position.

gabriel
01-17-2010, 04:42 PM
::) anjan pa din naman si erwin duran! tumangkad at lumakas pa siya from last year. He will be a big revelation this season. He is the only remaining legitimate center from last year roster of Coach Lawrence. Ken while tall is more of a 3 or 4 position. Manipis for a 5 position.

for me, we need one more big guy. kung yung 3 (Duran, Razon, Rosopa) lang ang aasahan sa 4 & 5 positions, mahihirapan sila. by summer time, baka meron pa tayo makuha sa mga incoming freshmen. let's hope for the best.

zoom2k7
02-07-2010, 07:27 AM
kumusta laro nila ivan hernandez and morelos ok ba ang fundamentals as a bigman? how about pujante the former RC...?and lordy casajeros....?ok bang mga wingman to?

bchoter
02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Looks like the 6'2" PG/SG opted out (or was turned down) by UE. Could have been a good addition in 2011