PDA

View Full Version : Tracing the roots of Manila Central University in the UAAP

D_I_A
09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Good Day Dudes and Dudettes

I work in Manila Central University otherwise known as MCU. It is currently located in EDSA Monumento Caloocan City. It was founded in 1903 as a review school for students of UST then in 1904 it came to be known as Liceo de Manila.At that time is was situated near Recto Ave. Sta. Cruz area. Then in 1948, it became the Manila Central University.

Sometime in February or March of this year, in one of the sports pages of a major broadsheet, an article about a long standing record of our university in the field of Athletics was surpassed by a current school team in the UAAP. This totally convinced me that indeed our school was a part of the UAAP during the pre-war up to the post war era.

There were stories that are passed around ever since that the school is said to be once an active member of the UAAP league. As some stories would tell, we were known then as the "Tigers" (Yellow/Violet are the school's colors) before UST acquired it as their franchise name. Our school could have probably with the UAAP during the pre-war era up to the 1950's when one of its founding fathers - Atty. Filemon D. Tanchoco died. This event is said to be the reason why our school has pulled out of the league.

I'm totally trying to find some lead to our school's participation in the UAAP, I've searched in our archives but I just can't find anything. When I saw Pachador's thread regarding how his father played in the amateur school leagues up to the commercial leagues and how his father's stats were uncovered, I felt so eager and hopeful that maybe you guys and gals here could lend me a hand.

For everyone's information, our school hasn't joined any school league since the 1950's. And if I'm not mistaken, we are the only major school in the area that doesn't have any outside sport or school affiliation.

Maybe, if I could get some data from you guys, we could convince our school's administration and it's board to join a school league because of it's legacy that it has imprinted in the UAAP league. And hopefully in the future, rejoin the UAAP ranks though right now it's a longshot.

But I know this would only be realized when there are adequate historical data that I could gather about our school. The school administration has been silent about joining any school league but maybe a well-informed and well-researched proposal on the part of us faculty members, employees and students, we could convince our school officials of opening its options of joining a school league. I may not be an alumnus of this school, but I do appreciate its very rich traditions and legacies in the field of medical sciences and how it served communities adjacent to it.

Hopefully we could join school sport competitions as what our students have been wishing for and soon cheer, carry our school colors and play for our school.

Hope you guys and gals could help.

Maraming Salamat po sa lahat.

D_I_A
09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Sir Mod..

pardon me, i wrongly posted it here in this section, maybe you could give me a hand of posting it in the UAAP thread.

thank you so much

my bad. again I apologize.

D_I_A

D_I_A
09-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Good Day Dudes and Dudettes

I work in Manila Central University otherwise known as MCU. It is currently located in EDSA Monumento Caloocan City. It was founded in 1903 as a review school for students of UST then in 1904 it came to be known as Liceo de Manila.At that time is was situated near Recto Ave. Sta. Cruz area. Then in 1948, it became the Manila Central University.

Sometime in February or March of this year, in one of the sports pages of a major broadsheet, an article about a long standing record of our university in the field of Athletics was surpassed by a current school team in the UAAP. This totally convinced me that indeed our school was a part of the UAAP during the pre-war up to the post war era.

There were stories that are passed around ever since that the school is said to be once an active member of the UAAP league. As some stories would tell, we were known then as the "Tigers" (Yellow/Violet are the school's colors) before UST acquired it as their franchise name. Our school could have probably with the UAAP during the pre-war era up to the 1950's when one of its founding fathers - Atty. Filemon D. Tanchoco died. This event is said to be the reason why our school has pulled out of the league.

I'm totally trying to find some lead to our school's participation in the UAAP, I've searched in our archives but I just can't find anything. When I saw Pachador's thread regarding how his father played in the amateur school leagues up to the commercial leagues and how his father's stats were uncovered, I felt so eager and hopeful that maybe you guys and gals here could lend me a hand.

For everyone's information, our school hasn't joined any school league since the 1950's. And if I'm not mistaken, we are the only major school in the area that doesn't have any outside sport or school affiliation.

Maybe, if I could get some data from you guys, we could convince our school's administration and it's board to join a school league because of it's legacy that it has imprinted in the UAAP league. And hopefully in the future, rejoin the UAAP ranks though right now it's a longshot.

But I know this would only be realized when there are adequate historical data that I could gather about our school. The school administration has been silent about joining any school league but maybe a well-informed and well-researched proposal on the part of us faculty members, employees and students, we could convince our school officials of opening its options of joining a school league. I may not be an alumnus of this school, but I do appreciate its very rich traditions and legacies in the field of medical sciences and how it served communities adjacent to it.

Hopefully we could join school sport competitions as what our students have been wishing for and soon cheer, carry our school colors and play for our school.

Hope you guys and gals could help.

Maraming Salamat po sa lahat.

blue scorpion
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi D_I_A,

Please check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAAP. I do not know how credible or accurate the information is but it says that MCU did join the UAAP along with UM, Adamson and UE as probationary members in 1952. However, it was only UE that became a regular member. Adamson became a member later on.

Emon74
10-08-2008, 06:45 PM
MCU tigers upset UE Warriors, 79-73

September 4, 1960 – Manila Central University played the spoiler’s role in the first game of the UAAP cage triplebill and upset University of the East, 79-73, in a tilt marred by a free-for-all at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The incident was triggered by a four-man spill for a loose ball near the end of the game. Warrior Jose Sison, one of the players who figured in the spill, came out swinging and so did S.Cruz of the tigers. Players from both teams started mixing it up at the center of the court before cooler heads intervened. Sison and Cruz were thrown out of the ballgame.
The tigers, who are usually the doormats of the top UAAP fives, led the warriors all the way. Utilizing a tight zone defense, MCU held UE at bay, roehl nadurata, UE’s triggerman, was limited to only one field basket and so were sison and ramon figueroa.
Ernesto Gonzalgo, ace scorer of the tigers, and Ireneo Caballero powered MCU to triumph.
In the second game, University of Santo Tomas routed National university, 77-60, and in the nightcap, Far Eastern University downed University of the Philippines, 80-76.

Arenas leads UST over MCU, 87-72

September 14, 1960 – Defending Champion University of Santo Tomas thumped Manila Central University, 87-72, in the playoff match to grab the fourth and last berth in the championship round of the UAAP basketball tourney at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The goldies win earned them the right to meet University of the East, Far Eastern University and the University of the Philippines in the loop’s final round of four.
Reynaldo Arenas, rookie renato reyes and playmaker valentin rosabal led UST in subduing the tigers. Arenas destroyed MCU’s zone defense with his deadly outside shots while Reyes brought havoc in the keyhole area by following up the misses of his teammates or completing timely feeds from rosabal.

Emon74
10-11-2008, 02:48 PM
MCU retains UAAP title

Manila, February 14, 1960 - Manila Central University retained the UAAP track and field championship by winning five of nine events contested at the Rizal Memorial Oval.
The five victories compiled 50 points that gave the flying tigers a two-day total of 81 markers, 23 more than second-placer University of Santo Tomas.
University of the Philippines, the first-day second placer, earned only nine points in the final day to finish third in the overall race with 19 points.
Ricardo Domingo won the shot put, Vicente Villanueva, the pole vault, Sofronio Seropia, the 800-meter run and Doroteo Acarillado won the javelin throw in enabling the Tigers to victory. MCU's 4 x 400-meter relay team for men also finished first.

MCU XI blanks UP booters, 5-0

Manila, December 18, 1960 - Manila Central University kept its winning ways in the UAAP soccer series by smothering University of the Philippines 5-0, at the Rizal Memorial Football Field.
Left-winger J.Hortillano powered the MCU eleven to its fourth victory by scoring two goals, one in each half. Veteran center-forward orlando plagata, right-halfback B.Dimasuay and center-fullback C.Ceniza completed the rout by chalking up one goal apiece in the second half of play.

MCU IX outruns UE, 13-9

Manila, January 8, 1961 – Manila Central University outran University of the East, 13-9, in a wild game to come up on top of the heap at the end of the elimination round of the UAAP baseball series at the Rizal Memorial Ballpark.
UE red sox made it 9-11 in the top half of the sixth inning with a four-run rally but MCU rushed in two insurance runs in the bottom half to spoil a possible upset.

thadzonline
10-11-2008, 04:06 PM
emon saan mo nakuha yan? wala bang link?

mangtsito
10-11-2008, 04:18 PM
DIA, If you have the time and the patience, you can do old-fashioned research in the Manila Bulletin archives/library in Intramuros. They have copies of every Manila Bulletin issue since they started publishing and, of course, the sports pages are intact. I think they even have them in microfilm.

I once was doing research there (I was looking for old photographs of Philippine presidents and Secretaries/Ministers of Foreign Affairs) when I bumped into someone in a Larry Fonacier jersey doing research on Ateneo's NCAA stint.

dioning
10-12-2008, 12:00 PM
rhoel nadurata of ue is the assistant coach of red bull
national player din siya at kung di ako nagkakamali, olympian din
siya star ng ue bago dumating si big j

renato "sonny" reyes was the star of ust & yco
olympian din siya & coached tanduay in the pba
retired early as a player to be an executive in one of elizalde's company
his son ian played football & basketball in don bosco & san agustin

orlando plagata played for the RP national football team
he also coached the feu football team
akala ko he played football for feu, mcu pala siya naglaro

valentin rosabal of ust if am not mistaken was also in the RP basketball team
olympian din ata

Emon74
10-12-2008, 08:44 PM

actually sa mga collections ko ng sports magazines in the past, there's a page about collegiate basketball articles in the 50s and 60s. good thing I was able to keep it para ma i share.

thadzonline
10-15-2008, 03:21 PM

actually sa mga collections ko ng sports magazines in the past, there's a page about collegiate basketball articles in the 50s and 60s. good thing I was able to keep it para ma i share.

ang contents ba nun ay all about Manila sports? Wala bang articles on Cebu?

Emon74
10-21-2008, 06:50 PM

this was the popular sports flash magazines, I've read some articles too about Cebu basketball.

D_I_A
11-10-2008, 01:50 AM

this was the popular sports flash magazines, I've read some articles too about Cebu basketball.

guys/ gals thank you so much for the infos specially the articles that you've posted.
we're including it in our proposal. although pahirapan pa sa ngayon it's because of some issues that needs to be settled within the university but we do hope our school can push through with the plans.

thank you once again.

thadzonline
11-10-2008, 02:24 AM
good luck D_I_A

Emon74
03-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Manila Central University actually withdrew from UAAP competitions in 1962, so there were only 5 schools who participate that year.

irateluvmachine
04-12-2009, 10:19 PM

OT - ayus yun, pare...i've actually been doing some old-school basketball research in past years (unfortunately on hold gawa ng schedule ko sa call center at banda), and i haven't seen any sports flash back issues from the '50s and '60s in the national library. may mga NCAA/UAAP lineups and previews ba dyan?

BTT - based on what i've researched, MCU was pretty much the UAAP doormat after UM and adamson withdrew from the UAAP in the mid-'50s. not a single recognizable name on their basketball lineups, except for one rizaldy zshornack, who was averaging about 20 points per game for their juniors team in the mid-'50s. kasabayan niya ata ang high school class nila kurt bachmann (la salle high), gerry cruz (FEU high), etc., a star-studded class for the time. zshornack didn't suit up for any UAAP or NCAA team in college, as i think this is the time he'd become a popular leading man in philippine showbiz...

oca
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM

OT - ayus yun, pare...i've actually been doing some old-school basketball research in past years (unfortunately on hold gawa ng schedule ko sa call center at banda), and i haven't seen any sports flash back issues from the '50s and '60s in the national library. may mga NCAA/UAAP lineups and previews ba dyan?

BTT - based on what i've researched, MCU was pretty much the UAAP doormat after UM and adamson withdrew from the UAAP in the mid-'50s. not a single recognizable name on their basketball lineups, except for one rizaldy zshornack, who was averaging about 20 points per game for their juniors team in the mid-'50s. kasabayan niya ata ang high school class nila kurt bachmann (la salle high), gerry cruz (FEU high), etc., a star-studded class for the time. zshornack didn't suit up for any UAAP or NCAA team in college, as i think this is the time he'd become a popular leading man in philippine showbiz...

I think Sports Flash first came into circulation in the late 70s.

Emon74
04-13-2009, 11:09 AM

OT - ayus yun, pare...i've actually been doing some old-school basketball research in past years (unfortunately on hold gawa ng schedule ko sa call center at banda), and i haven't seen any sports flash back issues from the '50s and '60s in the national library.* may mga NCAA/UAAP lineups and previews ba dyan?

BTT - based on what i've researched, MCU was pretty much the UAAP doormat after UM and adamson withdrew from the UAAP in the mid-'50s.* not a single recognizable name on their basketball lineups, except for one rizaldy zshornack, who was averaging about 20 points per game for their juniors team in the mid-'50s.* kasabayan niya ata ang high school class nila kurt bachmann (la salle high), gerry cruz (FEU high), etc., a star-studded class for the time.* zshornack didn't suit up for any UAAP or NCAA team in college, as i think this is the time he'd become a popular leading man in philippine showbiz...

I think Sports Flash first came into circulation in the late 70s.

yes, there were previews and UAAP/NCAA lineups too but that was starting in the 1980s, may isang page lang ang sports flash about basketball circa 50s and 60s

I think the magazine come out around 1983-1984 based on what i've read on the column of Jaworski, the champ and sports atlas came earlier in the late 70s.