PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2009 PBA Philippine Cup

The_Big_Cat
10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
The 34th Season of the country's premier basketball league started over the weekend. Kicking it off this season will be the most prestigious conference, the Philippine Cup (All-Filipino Conference).

Game discussions, analysis, player profiles, tv coverage, out-of-town games, and off-court activities of the league.

a_ron
10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
REGARDING tv COVERAGE here in cebu generally it is not that good in terms of Audio quality the graphics and other technical aspect in fairness to Solar it really inprove but the problem is with the local station CIS 9 been to places here in Cebu poor tyalaga ang audio nag RPN and with other those who dont have outdoor antena the reception is very Bad,the Solar must must to cALL the attention of RPN cebu fort this concern..thank u..

franz_inwurdz
10-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I watched it on C/S9 on Skycable. The image quality was great. Color is more vivid. Images is sharper and way better. Halatang better equipment ang gamit.

I do suggest to make the gameclock and shotclock fonts bigger. Ang hirap makita eh. ang liliit.

The_Big_Cat
10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
On the games itself, I was really impressed with Jared Dillinger (TNT) and Solomon Mercado (Rain Or Shine).

With Dillinger, its like seeing a modified version of Allan Caidic who could dribble penetrate. On Solomon Mercado, he is definitely a young Mark Caguioa.

abcdef
10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
regarding the time clocks. Di ba pwede yung tulad sa NBA na iba sa timer ng nasa arena. What I mean is that yung timer hindi yung naka video na galing sa Arena timer kundi yung parang digital na kasama talaga siya ng scores sa screen.

Dark Knight
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
What a start by Air 21. 3 ejections. Homer Se (so anong bago? ), Arboleda and curiously Arwind.

Go Express!!! ;D

tigerman
10-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Go Red Bull payt, payt, payt!
Go Skyrus!
Go Yeng "barya-barya lang kami dito" Guiao

:re the tv coverage by C/S 9
There's a thread in pex where Kaboom a.k.a. Jude Turcuato answers all the comments, suggestions and questions.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

digitalsuperman
10-07-2008, 07:52 AM
galing talaga nang rain or shine..they a fun team to watch..grabe yung run and gun style of play nila..galing talaga.

tsaka yung team ko na TnT.. chot made a great decision getting jarred.. JD plays like honteveros only younger,faster and taller... plus meron silang jason castro..wow talaga..galing!

tigerman
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Knowing Tim Cone's penchant for not trusting his rookies, I expect Borboran and Dela Pena to ride the bench just like what happened with Quinahan, Bono and the other Alaska players before.

Tim's a good coach but he will always have that asterisk in his resume - doesn't know how to develop young players.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

coreytaylor
10-07-2008, 11:43 AM
^^^ at least their rookies have a team ;D

a_ron
10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
It just oay anyways those benchwarmer will end up to be Tim Cone assistnt coach...

tigerman
10-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Masyadong mabait si Skyrus. Only 6 attempts from the field and zero in the 2nd half? :o

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
10-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Jared Dillinger scored Talk N' Text's first 11 points in the first quarter against Air21 yesterday.
It was a slow start by TNT by they eventually found their rhythm in the second half.

wolfy
10-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I did not see ali peek play... is he injured? ???

john_paul_manahan
10-10-2008, 11:29 PM
durden_tyler is also part of the solar team....

if you want, you can also post at solarent.ipbfree.com (that is the solar forums)

The_Big_Cat
10-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Coca-Cola finally got its first win with a double-overtime victory over Purefoods last night. Kerby Raymundo had two chances to win the game for Purefoods in regulation and 1st OT but failed to do so.

Rain or Shine got its first spanking of the season with a trashing loss to San Miguel Beer. Rain or Shine shot terribly in the field throughout the game while San Miguel made use of its bench as they outplayed the elasto painters all game long. This is the big problem for Rain or Shine when their outside shooting is not clicking, they don't have a low-post thread that could have alleviated their perimeter shooting woes.

tigerman
10-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I can't help but feel sorry for the turnout of the career of Mike "Coolcat" Cortez.

- He was drafted no. 1 overall pick by Alaska back in 2003 and everyone was looking forward to see him play in the PBA. If I remember it right, Ron Jacobs was also impressed with him and even went as far as saying that he's the best pg outside of the PBA.

- He had a decent rookie year and even had a chance to win the ROY award which eventually went to an equally deserving player in Jimmy Alapag.

- He later on struggled while Alapag and Helterbrand overtook him for Racela's throne as no. 1 pg.

- A few conferences ago, he suffered an acl injury which sidelined him for a while. He went back but wasn't the same player as before.

- He was eventually traded (along with Bono) to SMB in exchange for college rivals Tenorio and Fonacier. Everyone thought (including me) that he will finally play to his true potential especially since he'll now have more freedom in contrast to the conservative triangle system of Alaska.

- He was tasked to handle the pg chores during clutch moments but more often than not, he'll commit a turnover or attempt a questionable shot. Last night, he was relegated to a mere spectator as the veteran Racela took the floor in the closing moments.

The question now is: Was he just a mere product of hype or a lucky beneficiary of the Pumaren system?

USE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Growling.Fish
10-16-2008, 09:35 PM
^
Papuntahin sa Ginebra yan para magkaron ng passion sa laro. ;D

joelex
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
i have to fully agree with the points re cortez, his play has gradually declined since he entered the league. i guess his acl injury is largely to blame for his lack of production but he has lost a lot of the explosiveness also and the enigma a mike cortez could bring to the court before has vanished. I recall one conversation with him when he was on his last year in DLSU when he merely shrugged off comments about how good Mark Caguioa was in the PBA that time. He just laughed off comparisons and said "they would just toy with him in LA iduring their younger years".

This guy is just flat out an exciting player to watch when he has his A game going but somehow i dont think he has found his groove yet in the pros. He can easily avg 18-20 ppg given his talent.

durden_tyler
10-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Long time SMB fan here. That is probably one of the most hated moves i have over the course of the past four years--- especially the team is underachieving/disappointing... i never really liked Cortez's game at Alaska and was just plainly sad to get him (and give up Tenorio)...

No consistent jumper and lost in the scheme of things as well (low basketball IQ)...

The_Big_Cat
10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Talk N' Text got walloped by a more cohesive and deeper lineup in San Miguel Beer.

TNT shot terribly from the perimeter as rookie sensations Jared Dillinger and Jason Castro struggled last night.
San Miguel displayed its awesome firepower in almost all categories.

Jay Washington played extremely well against his former team. Obviously, he is still very disappointed on why he was traded. This is the second time that a former TNT player came out with a statement game after his former team traded him away. Asi Taulava played also extremely well in his first game as a Coca-Cola Tiger against his former team, TNT last season.

joelex
10-18-2008, 11:25 PM
While many before, including myself, ridiculed the superstar laden SMB squad, I think this time the firepower and depth of this team will wreak havoc against the comp this time around. The entry of J-Wash, Pennisi and fan fav rook Custodio has given the team renewed life, energy and purpose to offset whatever contentness the veterans have had before. They are winning convincingly now w/o DS and DI and I believe they will continue to do so despite the 2's absence. When these guys find their niche in a collection of all-stars and play their role to the hilt, this team will be tough to beat.

Also very impressed with the play of Jonas Villanueva this conference, he has given the team a lot of help in playmaking, defense, and can also contribute offensively. Methinks he has stepped up big in place of the disappointing Mike Cortez.

coreytaylor
10-19-2008, 08:08 AM
trade back mike cortez to alaska for la tenorio! ;D

The_Big_Cat
10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
With 40 seconds remaining in the game and Coke has ball possession, coming out of a timeout and leading 82-81, John Arigo took a hurried and ill-advised shot. Upon catching the ball at the free-throw circle and with a full 24-second shot, Arigo took the shot immediately. In disgust his "bayaw" and interim coach Kenneth Duremdes, instantly pulled him out of the game. This is one of those games na panalo na, itinapon pa.

In the second game, San Miguel pulverized Ginebra.

tigerman
10-24-2008, 04:03 PM
With 40 seconds remaining in the game and Coke has ball possession, coming out of a timeout and leading 82-81, John Arigo took a hurried and ill-advised shot. Upon catching the ball at the free-throw circle and with a full 24-second shot, Arigo took the shot immediately. In disgust his "bayaw" and interim coach Kenneth Duremdes, instantly pulled him out of the game. This is one of those games na panalo na, itinapon pa.

AFAIK, mag-bilas si Arigo at Duremdes. Yung asawa nila magkapatid. I'm not quite sure kung sino nga lang sa dalawang misis ni Kenneth yung utol ni Mrs. Arigo. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

coreytaylor
10-24-2008, 04:46 PM
AFAIK, mag-bilas si Arigo at Duremdes. Yung asawa nila magkapatid. I'm not quite sure kung sino nga lang sa dalawang misis ni Kenneth yung utol ni Mrs. Arigo.* ;D

Nice PBA trivia ;D

The_Big_Cat
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
AFAIK, mag-bilas si Arigo at Duremdes. Yung asawa nila magkapatid. I'm not quite sure kung sino nga lang sa dalawang misis ni Kenneth yung utol ni Mrs. Arigo.* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Yes. You're correct.
Sa ilonggo kasi, mas kadalasan ginagamit ang word na "bayaw" to refer that kind of a relationship.

tigerman
10-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Despite the weakened lineup, Red Bull continues to be a pain in the a** of SMC.

Coach Yeng is really a genius.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

a_ron
10-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Despite the weakened lineup, Red Bull continues to be a pain in the a** of SMC.

Coach Yeng is really a genius.

He trully deserves to be the National team coach,

The_Big_Cat
10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Gary David hit a game-winning three pointer to help Air21 beat Alaska 109-107.

Air21 had a 106-100 lead in the last 1:30 minute but Alaska crawled back and had a 107-106 lead thanks to a Willie Miller undergoal stab coming from a pass from LA Tenorio. With a second remaining Air21 initially mapped out a play that looked like an alley-up play for Arwind Santos but was covered well prompting the secondary option which was Gary David.

joelex
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I just love Gabby Espinas's game. Finally he is given the chance to prove his worth and he is making the most out of it. I remember him showing flashes of brilliance during his rookie year in SMB and was very productive until the return of SMB's injured players and got lost in the mix somewhere.

He is very quick for a big, has a complete offensive arsenal, can back down or face up, can hit the long J, and can run the floor well also.

I strongly believe that he can be the next great post player in the league and should continue to improve under Yeng Guiao's guidance.

nastrans
10-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Gabby has bulked up a little bit compared to his NCAA and rookie days but its just nice to see him flourish with Red Bull, along with rookie Larry Rodriguez. He has also been one of the finishers during some of the Red Bull breaks that has helped him tremendously. Sana tuloy tuloy na yan, he's been posting 15-9 numbers, sana consistent na yan.

And did coach Yeng threw the finger when he got thrown out?

joelex
10-29-2008, 11:07 PM

tama nga nakita ko.. ;D

nastrans
10-29-2008, 11:11 PM
^ patay siya kay Gob Panilio, matatalo siya sa kanyang balak na recall hihihi :D

gamecritic
10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
On the games itself, I was really impressed with Jared Dillinger (TNT) and Solomon Mercado (Rain Or Shine).

With Dillinger, its like seeing a modified version of Allan Caidic who could dribble penetrate. On Solomon Mercado, he is definitely a young Mark Caguioa.

This still has to be proven. Mark Caguioa in his rookie year scored in double figures in all the games except his debut game. Mercado had a great first ball game but since then he is already in check.

nastrans
10-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Maybe the surge that Mercado shown early was due to because in the PBL, he was rarely used due to the minute-sharing he had to deal with at Harbour Centre. But he had his moment, like that Game 3 performance against Hapee in the PBL V-Go Extreme Energy Drink Cup finals.

If Sol would be another Mark Caguioa, probably he has to be a more consistent outside shooter on almost every angle of the floor, not just a slasher type of a player.

The_Big_Cat
10-30-2008, 07:57 AM

tama nga nakita ko.. ;D

I thought Yeng's finger was pointing towards Toroman, who was sitting behind the TNT bench. ;D

tigerman
10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I just hope Coach Yeng would learn to better control his temper especially against the referees. That's a big no-no in international basketball.

Despite Yeng's penchant for profanities (yes, it was his middle finger ;D), he should be in the top 5 of the all-time greats in coaching.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bchoter
10-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Utang na loob tama na ang isang Caguioa

tigerman
10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm not a James Yap fan and I even hate the fact that he's being treated as if he's the best PBA player but after watching his gutsy performance earlier vs. Air 21, I gotta give credit to a guy who was not even supposed to play because of a sore ankle and a back injury.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
10-31-2008, 11:17 PM
and everytime James Yap makes a basket, Jimmy Javier will utter the words "playing with a sore back and bummed knees". halatang halatang purefoods fan si javier.

Schortsanitis
10-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Everybody seems to have overlooked the Rain Or Shine and TNT game today was supposed to be a Solmer-Norwood versus Dillinger-Reyes-Castro rookie match. So who won in the rookie all-star match? Solmer-Norwood combining for 36 points, versus Dillinger-Reyes-Castro's 18 point output.

joelex
11-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Castro seems to be putting too much pressure on himself probably because of being a multiple PBL MVP and his Singapore Slinger stint. He still has his daredevil drives but oftentimes he gets tentative not only in scoring but also in his playmaking abilities him playing the 1 spot. He had a hard time driving around TY Tang which he should dominate anytime.

Meanwhile, Bon Bon Custodio doesnt look like he's bothered by the bright lights at all as he conitnues to play relaxed as if the PBA is still his playgound. Last Thursday at the Ynares Center in Shaw, the crowd would get loud everytime he would touch the ball, moreso emphasized because of the small capacity of the gym. It was just a tellimg moment for a young kid like him.

easter
11-01-2008, 08:27 AM
While other leagues like the NBA has improved on their passing plays and in moving the ball around, I think the PBA is still in 1990s in playing basketball.

If you look at PBA teams they shoot the ball in just 1 to 2 passes. It is very rare that you see 4 or all 5 people touch the ball in any given play> This is very evident with Purefoods which loves the isolation play so much.

tigerman
11-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Rich Alvarez has just been traded to Purefoods for the latter's 1st round pick in 2011.

Sumuko na si Yeng sa kanya. Sayang.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

sa_pula
11-01-2008, 03:28 PM
^^ 2011?..member pa kaya ng PBA non ang RB?

coreytaylor
11-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Meanwhile, Bon Bon Custodio doesnt look like he's bothered by the bright lights at all as he conitnues to play relaxed as if the PBA is still his playgound. Last Thursday at the Ynares Center in Shaw, the crowd would get loud everytime he would touch the ball, moreso emphasized because of the small capacity of the gym. It was just a tellimg moment for a young kid like him.

Well, Bon Bon for me ain't just a rookie. He is a seasoned player and he has played in different leagues. I think that his stint with these various league really helped him to be more comfortable playing specially in the PBA. Anyways, his 25 years old and mamang mama na idad niya. Di bagay tawaging young kid. ;D

Schortsanitis
11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Rich Alvarez has just been traded to Purefoods for the latter's 1st round pick in 2011.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Rich Alvarez became expendable with the great plays of Gabby Espinas and Larry Rodriguez at the Forward spots. Gabby and Larry were younger, cheaper, and more productive than Rich, hence the trade.

joelex
11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
We never expected RB to use basketball as basis for their trades anyway. Kahit sino naman sa roster nila available for trades eh.

nastrans
11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not a James Yap fan and I even hate the fact that he's being treated as if he's the best PBA player but after watching his gutsy performance earlier vs. Air 21, I gotta give credit to a guy who was not even supposed to play because of a sore ankle and a back injury.

What a game by James Yap and What a Siyat! Off balanced three to send the game into overtime. Kerby also had a wonderful game.

Perhaps, this might be the turning point of Purefoods' campaign.

Schortsanitis
11-02-2008, 11:17 PM
As for the games today;

* Second straight 20-point game by Joe Devance. I thought Joe's career would go to the dogs when he moved over to Alaska, but apparently he instead is getting a second lease on life. Furthermore, his rebounding average has gone up, indicating that he is mixing it up in the paint, something I didn't expect him to do since he was more of a softie over at Welcoat then despite his 6'8" height.

* I'm impressed Larry Rodriguez did well against Asi, Telan and Belasco, again something I had some doubts he could do. It seems he has proven that he can really mix it up with the PBA's big men.

* Another good game by Cabagnot under Duremdes. It seems the kid has found a second lease on life under a new coach.

The_Big_Cat
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Ganyan talaga ang Red Bull, MAPAG-BIGAY. Lalo't malapit na ang pasko. ;D

Other notable "Red Bull Giveaways" include:
1. Kerby Raymundo
2. Willie Miller
3. Lordy Tugade
4. Rico Villanueva
5. Larry Fonacier
6. Junthy Valenzuela
7. Mick Pennisi

tigerman
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
^ One could only imagine how strong the lineup of Red Bull could've been if all the players above were not traded.

I assume Cyrus is still with the team mainly because his services remain to be at par with RB's ability to pay.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

durden_tyler
11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
^ One could only imagine how strong the lineup of Red Bull could've been if all the players above were not traded.

I assume Cyrus is still with the team mainly because his services remain to be at par with RB's ability to pay.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

But you can't argue with the results. This is the season (among many others) when they actually pulled the plug and push the envelop further: ROLE PLAYERS can win in this league. And that is such an impressive feat. i would not be surprised if they traded Rich Alvarez for more picks and role players because he has been given chances many times over now to prove his worth and yet it is the new acquisitions (Larry Rodriguez, ROOKIE and Gabby Espinas, FREE AGENT) that has been making noise at the Red Bull camp.

The Barako won't be considered serious contenders but you will see them scrapping and hustling every game--- in such a short league such as the PBA that could be dangerous to any "Paper" champions.

The_Big_Cat
11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
San Miguel escaped a double overtime scare against Air21.

SMB actually had a 19-pt lead early in the 4th but squandered it. The Air21 comeback was spearheaded by Gary David, who scored 30 of his 36 points in 2nd half. Air21 had a chance to win the game in regulation with a 3-point lead but a mental mistake by Wynne Arboleda who left Dondon Hontiveros wide open for a game-tying three forced the game into overtime.

abcdef
11-12-2008, 06:36 PM
How do you feel about PBA appealing on the family audience?

Parang di bagay kasi intense yung game tapos ang soft ng dating nila. The PBA audience is mainly adult males with their wives not much of a family thing. Sana ibalik nila yung image na PBA is a Hardcore league kasi yun naman talaga ang gusto ng fans.

tigerman
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
It seems like the Yeng Guiao magic is no longer working.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Wang-Bu
11-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Nagpakitang-gilas na naman kagabi ang Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings sa ating pagwagi laban sa Purefoods TJ Giants. Dikdikan ang laban kagabi, nagkaroon ng 13 o 14 na tie at mga ganun din karaming palitan ng lamang, ngunit naka-ungos ng konti ang Gin Kings sa mga huling bahagi ng last quarter. Maganda ang pinakitang laro ni Macky Escalona at inuwi naman tayo ni Jayjay Helterbrand.

aircanda
11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
^^

GINEBRA!! GINEBRA!! Sana tuloy tuloy na to.. kelan ba balik ni The Spark at Reavis?

john_paul_manahan
11-23-2008, 10:39 PM
saw how tnt got dismantled by alaska. wow. it was as if a perfect storm happened.

durden_tyler
11-24-2008, 12:12 AM
San Miguel hitting the wall... Lost to Purefoods by a close margin earlier today. As an SMB fan, i want the losses to start now (In mind, still one of the top two spots) and work on their weaknesses (consistency on defense among others)

stonecold316
11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I was able to watch the Ginebra vs Sta. Lucia game last Saturday at the Arena at ang galing ni Sunday Salvacion.
When Sta. Lucia was able to cut a 19 point lead to 4 in the fourth, it was he, and point guard Paul Artadi and the ever reliable Ronald Tubid who did much of the damage.

Sana kahit wala pa si Caguiao, manalo ng manalo pa rin sila just like what happened last conference.
Laban lang Barangay Ginebra!

tigerman
11-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh boy just when I thought that Cyrus has lost a lot of hops in him, here he comes with an alley-oop dunk.

Too bad, it didn't help in preventing Red Bull from losing their 6th straight loss.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Gabe Norwood scored the game winning tip-in basket as Rain or Shine nips San Miguel.

Dondon Hontiveros led San Miguel with 24 points while Rain or Shine was paced by Solomon Mercado's 19 points.
San Miguel also tallied 11 2-point field goals which is now the fewest in PBA history.

durden_tyler
12-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Ouch. That tip-in hurts. And hurts the Beermen's chances of that autosemis. Sad, sad day to be an SMB fan.

stonecold316
12-26-2008, 02:55 AM
MENK-LED GINEBRA STOPS RAIN OR SHINE OUTRIGHT SEMIS BID
Kings advance to quarterfinals outright, hand TNT free ride to semis
Thursday, 25 December 2008

Barangay Ginebra gained an outright entry into the quarterfinals and unwittingly gave Talk N Text a free lift into the semifinals.

This was the Yuletide package the Kings wrapped up as they whipped the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters, 63-58, in a low-scoring duel at the close of the KFC PBA Philippine Cup double-round elimination phase at the Araneta Coliseum.

"Talagang merry ang Christmas," said Barangay Ginebra head coach Jong Uichico as they scored the win guaranteeing the team automatic quarters passage.

"At the start of the conference, we're just thinking of surviving. Now we're in a spot everybody wants to be in if you miss the outright semis," Uichico added.

The Kings even claimed the top seeding in the quarters with a better quotient than the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters and the Sta. Lucia Realtors. The three teams finished tied at third with identical 10-8 win-loss card.

"Mabigat ang seeding namin but I take it anytime because we could have been in the wildcard round. Maraming salamat talaga we're here," Uichico said. "Come quarters, iba na naman yon. We'll try to get healthy. Hopefully, makabalik si Rafi Reavis."

Though still playing with aches and pains, the Kings got back at the Painters, denying Rain or Shine a playoff with Talk N Text for the second outright semis seat.

The Tropang Texters instead joined Alaska in an outright entry into the Final Four with Rain or Shine relegated into a best-of-three quarterfinal against defending champion Sta. Lucia Realty.

Barangay Ginebra will slug it out in the other best-of-3 quarterfinal against the lone survivor from the wildcard playoffs.

Slugging it out in the knockout wildcard games are Coca-Cola versus San Miguel Beer, and Air21 against Purefoods, with both series starting at once this Sunday at the Big Dome.

Barangay Ginebra and Rain or Shine figured in the lowest-scoring battle of the conference but the Kings managed to imposed their will, leading by as many as 20 at 41-21.

Eric Menk and Ronald Tubid both churned out a double-double game for the Kings with the former tallying 15 points and 10 rebounds and the latter 11 markers and 10 boards.

Only with 12 and 10 points, respectively, Jay R Reyes and Gabe Norwood were already the highest scorers for the Painters limited to an all-time franchise low on an atrocious 27.3-percent field-goal shooting.

Rain or Shine was 5-of-37 from beyond the arc and 16-of-40 from the two point zone while Ginebra was 27-of-85 overall en route to the lowest winning score of the tourney. (NC)

The scores:

Barangay Ginebra 63 -- Menk 15, Tubid 11, Cabatu 10, Helterbrand 10, Valenzuela 7, Mamaril 4, Escalona 2, Wilson 2, Crisano 2, Pacana 0, Artadi 0, Salvacion 0.

Rain or Shine 58 -- Reyes 12, Norwood 10, Salangsang 8, Arana 7, Mercado 6, Wainwright 5, Tang 4, Ibanes 3, Andaya 2, Dulay 1, Isip 0, Ejercito 0.

Quarterscores: 20-14, 37-21, 51-38, 63-58

paul_theking
12-26-2008, 04:27 AM
too bad for ROS..but reaching outright quarterfinals is already an achievement, hope that they would even go to the semis. ;D

tigerman
12-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Ranidel de Ocampo does a Vince Carter - talk about pwning your former team with a heartbreaker of a game-winner.* ;D

Meanwhile, I read somewhere that Lito Alvarez, Air 21's manager has announced their acquisition of Cyrus Baguio and Celino Cruz.

http://pba-online.net/index.php?action=results&poll_ident=26
AIR 21 nets Cyrus Baguio
After weeks of speculation, the Cyrus Baguio trade is now official. Baguio, who was rumored to be going to the Brgy. Ginebra Kings, was officially shipped by Red Bull, along with tough guard Celino Cruz to the Air21 Express in exchange for Air21's first round picks in 2011 and 2012.

Air21 team manager Lito Alvaez confirmed the reports after his team lost to the Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters last night.

It’s really great to add players like Cyrus (Baguio) and Celino (Cruz) who can help us in our campaign not only here in this conference but also for our future,” said Alvarez. “We traded Ranidel for Don Allado then we got Cyrus. I’m sure we are in a right direction.”

At the end of the eliminations, here are the averages of the two players.

Cyrus Baguio: 18 games, 30.0788OPE (18th in the league), 13.44ppg, 3.67rpg and 3.11apg. He is shooting 44.5% from the field and 77.6% from the line.

Celino Cruz: 17 games, 20.6116OPE, 6.94ppg, 3.65rpg, 2.59apg, 34.9% 3PT

The move toughened Air21's backcourt and increased their chances of getting past the wildcard phase. They will play Purefoods on Sunday.

Baguio is expected to join in Air21’s practice today at the Xavier Gym and set to play for Sunday. Cruz, on the other hand, will skip the practice and set to join the next day of scrimmages due to family reason, according to Alvarez.

The PBA where Gasol type of trades always happen.

Seriously, I hope Cyrus gets the playing time in a loaded wingmen rotation at Air 21 (David, Intal, Arwind and Canaleta). Good thing Air 21 has a team policy of giving playing minutes to each and every player and also the fact that their style of play is tailor-made for Skyrus' game.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
12-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Air21's backcourt has just got better.

Obviously Gary David is their first-string shooting guard. Cyrus Baguio may come off the bench and be their 2nd-string shooting guard. Rookie Cholo Villanueva will be relegated to be the 3rd-string shooting guard. Celino Cruz will back-up Wynne Arboleda at the point guard spot thus moving Marvin Cruz to be the 3rd-string point guard.

jones_c
12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Ganda ng knockout sa Sunday! Coke at san miguel tapos air21 at purefoods! pwede na ba maglaro yung mga natrade?

digitalsuperman
12-26-2008, 04:26 PM
as far as i know, intal is part of the trade. as what i've read the trade involves 2 future first round draft picks for baguio and cruz..

abcdef
12-26-2008, 08:30 PM
So Red Bull will disband? Don't they have plans on selling their franchise?

digitalsuperman
12-26-2008, 09:05 PM
disband would be a very dumb thing to do especially for a losing team like red bull..

i've read from an article of beth celis that red bull is loosing.. not in the pba but as a company.
red bull will sell its franchise for sure.. as what beth celis said. there will be a big shake up on the league next year...

so we'll just have to wait for it...

The_Big_Cat
12-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Indeed if Red Bull is disbanding and Harbour Centre is still contemplating of joining the pros for next year, the PBA could always invite Toroman's squad as a guest team similar to what Ron Jacobs' Northern Consolidated in the mid-1980s.

digitalsuperman
12-26-2008, 11:54 PM
harbour center will come to pba through Burger King formerly known as Air21. Lina and Alvarez will be totally out of the picture once the name switch has been done. as what the article said. the lina's have already achieved its marketing goals for air21 and now they want burger king to do the same. Mikee Romero owns a part of Burger king but majority is still owned by the lina's. but it will be mikee romero who will represent the burger king team.

harbour center as for information was already bought by manny pangilinan. he will take over the port operations of harbour center. manny pangilinan also owns 10 percent of burger king, so as wilson young, mikee romero and ricky vargas. other shares are owned by lina's. burger king was previously owned by purefoods when it was still a member of the ayala group of companies.

james_ty
12-27-2008, 11:49 AM
disband would be a very dumb thing to do especially for a losing team like red bull..

i've read from an article of beth celis that red bull is loosing.. not in the pba but as a company.
red bull will sell its franchise for sure.. as what beth celis said. there will be a big shake up on the league next year...

so we'll just have to wait for it...

Red Bull owner George Chua has lost a lot of business ventures like Agfa Films, Konica Cameras and Dreyer's Ice Cream. Only Red Bull remains among his products but I heard it's being outselled by other energy drink brands.

dioning
12-27-2008, 04:07 PM
atsaka sa poll automation din yata they lost money
because of a supreme court decision that was
adverse to them

digitalsuperman
12-27-2008, 10:05 PM
both of you are correct..the photokina franchise has been loosing the past two years actually and it was just this year that it has really blown up.. its also true that the red bull energy drink distribution they have is the only thing going for them but unfortunately there are heaps of energy drinks on the market today and redbull has a dwindling share of the market.. but as the news said, as what have chua told commissioner barrios prior to approving the trade to Air21. he said they're here to stay..its quite trivial..hmmm...

The_Big_Cat
12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Air21 whipped Purefoods to qualify further in the playoffs and meet San Miguel next week.

There was this incident during a timeout where James Yap and his assistant coach Koy Banal got into an argument in which at the end saw James Yap hurdling a bottle to Koy Banal. At that point Air21 was up by 18 points.
What the hell is going down there at the Purefoods camp?

Earlier San Miguel gave Coca-Cola an early vacation. San Miguel was too much for Coke. Veterans Olsen Racela, Lordy Tugade, Dondon Hontiveros and Mick Pennisi did the damage at the closing stages of the 4th quarter. While Coke's Alex Cabagnot went on a turnover-spree giving up the ball 3 times resulting into 3 triples for San Miguel (2 from Olsen and 1 from Mick).

nastrans
12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Frustration as they were slammed by Air21 big time in a playoff game. It was said that Topex and Yap were trading barbs after a bad defensive lapse before Koy got involved.

And another sidenote, Kerby Raymundo almost attacked Homer Se's driver, not Homer Se. :D

paul_theking
01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
??? i hope the beermen would redeem themselves for their rather "dismal" campaign. From being in contention for the semis at the end of the 1st round to being relegated to the wildcard. I guess they have underachieved with their lineup. I hope the Beermen would get their game up a notch. :)

The_Big_Cat
01-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Defending Philippine Cup champions Sta. Lucia blasted Rain or Shine 101-84 to grab a 1-0 lead in their Best-of-3 Quarterfinals showdown.

The_Big_Cat
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
San Miguel came from behind to stop Ginebra, 98-93.

Ginebra had actually a 21-point lead in the 3rd quarter with a 64-43 lead. But San Miguel came storming back with Dondon Hontiveros leading the charge. Hontiveros led all scorers with 34 points (27 pts in the 2nd half). Olsen Racela got thrown out in the 1st quarter with a flagrant foul 2 on Jay Helterbrand. Helterbrand led Ginebra with 30 points (20 pts in the 1st half).

San Miguel now faces Talk N Text in the semis.

aircanda
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
San Miguel came from behind to stop Ginebra, 98-93.

Ginebra had actually a 21-point lead in the 3rd quarter with a 64-43 lead. But San Miguel came storming back with Dondon Hontiveros leading the charge. Hontiveros led all scorers with 34 points (27 pts in the 2nd half). Olsen Racela got thrown out in the 1st quarter with a flagrant foul 2 on Jay Helterbrand. Helterbrand led Ginebra with 30 points (20 pts in the 1st half).

San Miguel now faces Talk N Text in the semis.

nanood kasi si Valerie Concepcion eh!

joelex
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Have to be impressed with SLR also. Another top 4 finish despite a laregly unheralded group of guys, who besides MVP kelly williams (sub far perfromance this conference to boot), do not boast of any other big name stars. Injuries have hounded Ryan Reyes all conference yet theyre still up there. Coach Boyet is doing an unbelievable job of motivating his troops.

Johnathanfon
07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I am very excited to this event. I know many players are ready to this game.