PDA

View Full Version : The Bad Boys Thread

King_stag
10-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Stuckey, Pistons spoil Beasley's preseason opener

MIAMI -- Rodney Stuckey scored 23 points, including two jumpers in the final 8.8 seconds of regulation, and the Detroit Pistons scored the first six points of overtime on the way to beating the Miami Heat 95-91 Sunday night in the exhibition opener for both clubs.

Michael Beasley scored 16 points in his preseason debut for Miami, 13 of those coming in the third quarter. The No. 2 overall pick in this year's draft out of Kansas State sat out the final 17 minutes for Miami.

Jason Maxiell finished with 13 points for Detroit, including the first two baskets of overtime. Richard Hamilton added 12, even though he -- like virtually most of the projected regulars for both teams -- played sparingly.

Advertisement
Mark Blount scored 12 points, while Daequan Cook, David Padgett and Olympic gold medalist Dwyane Wade each added 11 for Miami.

Stuckey connected on a baseline jumper from a tough angle -- behind the backboard, the Heat argued -- with 8.8 seconds left in regulation to get Detroit within one. And after Cook made a free throw at the other end, Stuckey hit a 15-footer from the left wing to force overtime.

By then, knowing Beasley's night was done, the majority of a sparse crowd had already left.

Beasley, who was perhaps the nation's most dynamic college player in his lone season at Kansas State, entered the game for the first time with 3:11 left in the opening quarter to a loud ovation, even in a sparsely filled arena.

The Heat know he can score. During the preseason, they want to see if Beasley can defend.

"He's a coachable kid and he's been diligent with his work when he's healthy and able to get out there," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "But it's going to be a process. It's going to take some time because he doesn't naturally think defense first, and that's pretty normal for a young player, so we'll have to rebuild some habits."

Those lessons are apparently already being learned. On Beasley's first defensive possession, he stepped in front of a pass near midcourt, drove the other way and drew a foul.

Beasley started the second half, playing alongside Wade, Mario Chalmers, Shawn Marion and Blount. The Wade-Beasley pairing instantly clicked; Wade set Beasley up for baskets on consecutive possessions early in the third quarter, the second of which resulted in a two-handed dunk by the rookie.

The Heat leave Monday for Paris, where they'll open part of the NBA Europe Live tour Thursday against the New Jersey Nets. The teams will also meet in London on Oct. 12.

Notes: Heat point guard Chris Quinn sprained his left ankle in the fourth quarter and is listed as day-to-day. ... Wade, who hadn't played a game in Miami since March, greeted the stat crew with fist bumps before tip-off. "Hey, y'all miss me?" he asked. ... Actress Gabrielle Union, a fixture at Heat games in recent seasons, sat in the second row opposite the Miami bench. ... Newly retired Jason Williams, who was with the Heat for three seasons, sat behind the Detroit bench. ... The Heat placed Udonis Haslem (foot), Shaun Livingston (knee), Dorell Wright (knee) and James Jones (wrist) on the game's inactive list. Detroit didn't have any inactives.

-Detnews.com

Mateen Cleaves
10-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Here's an interesting training camp drill that new coach Michael Curry ran last week. Kung bata-bata lang sana ako, it sounds like a fun -- but killer -- drill.* ;D

This is from Keith Langlois' blog, True Blue Pistons.com (http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com)

...Friday’s practice ended with a Bataan death march of a drill. Curry put 10 minutes on the clock and put the Pistons – 14 of them; Wallace sat out the last hour of another three-hour practice with routine soreness – through a full-court drill that would have had Kenyan marathoners begging for mercy. Up and down the court they went, two balls always in play, running three-man fast break drills in both directions. One among them would get the layup attempt, while the two trailers would simultaneously receive passes and shoot wing jump shots. The goal: 250 baskets in 10 minutes, racing the clock and the limits of human endurance.

It is, at its heart, a conditioning drill, of course, but it incorporates basketball skills so that players must perform despite crushing fatigue – handling the ball without a misstep and shooting jump shots through weary legs and heavy arms.

“We definitely want to make every drill competitive,” Curry said. “When you have a team that has been as successful as this group, you have to mix things up a lot to keep their attention, to keep them challenged. So we put a goal on every drill we do. There’s a winner and a loser in every drill or there’s a number the group has to get. Today it was 250.”

The final tally: 269...

------

For the complete article -- click here: It adds up: Lock-down defense makes a return (http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com/2008/10/it-adds-up-lock-down-defense-makes.html)

King_stag
10-06-2008, 06:10 PM
How 'bout walter herrmann hitting those flawless shots in the oakland open practice? He has extended range and a Dr. J's swooping lay-up, plus he's a pesky defender. I think he is the first small forward off the bench to give tay a rest. The other walter (sharpe) is a bit raw.

Mateen Cleaves
10-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Yes, Dr. J was the first image that came to mind when I saw that picture of Hermann swooping in for a lay-up. The next memory that came up was Freddie Hubalde.* ;D ... Curry has also been talking about having Rip Hamilton also spend some time at SF. This would probably be some sort of 3-guard alignment with Billups and Stuckey on the court at the same time.

It would be interesting to see how Amir Johnson's audition at the starting PF slot turns out. Curry is giving Amir a shot at playing the Ben Wallace role (primarly defensive, offense is mostly tip-ins and lay-ups) alongside Rasheed. If he struggles, I think they might go with Kwame Brown at C and put Rasheed at PF. Curry seems to like having McDyess and Maxiell come off the bench so that Stuckey has some people to run with also.

King_stag
10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Pistons use 3-guard offense in exhibition win
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- Michael Curry has talked all through training camp about using a three-guard lineup and he unleashed it in the second quarter of the Pistons' 85-71 exhibition victory over the Milwaukee Bucks Wednesday.

After a cold-shooting first quarter -- the Pistons missed 11 shots and were outscored 21-2 in one stretch of nearly eight minutes -- Curry deployed Rodney Stuckey and Arron Afflalo with Chauncey Billups. The tempo and intensity picked up immediately, the defense tightened and the offense got untracked.

Afflalo, playing the small forward position, was especially active. He had nine points, two steals and four rebounds in* the quarter. He finished with a team-high 15 points.

Curry kept three guards in the entire second quarter -- also using Richard Hamilton with Stuckey and Afflalo, or Will Bynum with Hamilton and Afflalo -- and they won the quarter 25-17 and gained control of the game.

The third quarter belonged to Billups. Matched against his good friend Tyronn Lue, Billups scored 12 points and distributed three assists. His 3-point play with 3:47 left in the third put the Pistons ahead 57-54 and they never looked back.

They built the lead to 12 in the fourth, using a frontcourt of Jason Maxiell (eight points), Kwame Brown (five points) and rookie Walter Sharpe.

Tayshaun Prince scored 11 points and Stuckey nine. Prince had three blocks, including a highlight-reel stuff on rookie Luc Mbah a Moute. Mbah a Moute had rough night, missing 10 of 11 shots.

The Bucks, playing without starters Richard Jefferson and Luke Ridnour, got 20 points from Charlie Villanueva and 18 from Malik Allen.

*A lot is expexted from this former bruin. Known for his defense, afflalo is also a lights out shooter. That 3-guard setup worked perfectly against the bucks.

Mateen Cleaves
10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Pistons 111, Bucks 99
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Arron Afflalo scored 28 points and Rodney Stuckey 15 to help the Pistons remain perfect in the exhibition season with a 111-99 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday night.

"The record is a good indicator that we're playing pretty good," Pistons coach Michael Curry said. "More importantly, we're excited that different units we're playing out there, they're playing to their strengths."

Detroit (4-0) got a scare when point guard Chauncey Billups limped off with an ankle injury with 4:42 remaining in the third quarter.

Billups said he stepped on Bucks center Andrew Bogut's foot.

"I'm a little sore right now," Billups said. "I just tweaked it. I'll be all right."

Charlie Villanueva led the Bucks (0-4) with 26 points and Michael Redd had 17.

"It can be tough at times because we don't know everything yet," Villanueva said. "But I am confident that by the time the regular season starts we will have everything down and be ready to go."

After trailing for most of the game, the Bucks closed to 82-80 when Villanueva scored on a driving layup with 9:54 remaining in the fourth quarter.

The Pistons responded with a 12-0 run to grab a 94-82 lead with 6:43 left. Afflalo scored eight points during the run and 16 in the fourth quarter. The Bucks got no closer than eight points in the final minutes.

Bucks forward Richard Jefferson was ejected with 4:22 remaining in the third quarter. Jefferson, who got a technical foul in the first half for jawing with Afflalo, ran into a backcourt pick from Antonio McDyess. Jefferson was whistled for a foul and screamed in protest. Referee Violet Palmer quickly ejected Jefferson, who had to be restrained by his teammates.

The Pistons broke the game open in the first half by outscoring the Bucks 28-8 to take a 41-22 lead with 8:41 left in the second quarter. Detroit led 61-44 at halftime.

---

It's just a preseason game. But Afflalo is really making a case for regular minutes with performances like these.* :)

King_stag
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Stuckey was impressive too. He had 15 points, 10 assists, 5 steals, and 3 rebounds. Kwame Brown seems to fit detroit's rotation. He showed solid low-post skills and can defend on the other end.

King_stag
10-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Afflalo's jumper is kinda' similar michael redd's.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=57db3edb42a148eaf2d74cdf2885d282-getty-83019842sd010_detroit_pisto&prov=getty

tigerman
10-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Will Joe Dumars stick with the Rip-Sheed-Chauncey-Prince veteran core or not?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Mateen Cleaves
10-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Yes, he will.. for now. IF he's going to make a roster change, it probably won't be until around February, when the trade deadline comes around.

King_stag
10-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I think it's more important for them to extend maxiell's contract. "the big denial" is their energizer bunny of the bench.

Mateen Cleaves
10-15-2008, 06:11 AM
^The Pistons have made their extension offer already. It's in Maxiell's court now.

---

5 into 2: Curry tinkers with big-man tandems
by Keith Langlois
From Pistons.com (http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com)

There hasn’t been a whole lot of drama to previous Pistons training camps because no NBA team has had less lineup uncertainty over the past five years than this one. Despite the relative lack of off-season personnel shuffling, that’s changed this year. It’s changed because the coach changed, because the new coach wants to go deeper into this bench, and because the bench – no matter who was coaching – has forced the issue. They’re better.

Jason Maxiell had his breakout season a year ago and clearly deserves a spot in Michael Curry’s rotation. Amir Johnson, still just 21, is a Curry favorite for his athleticism and the possibilities he presents as Curry looks to force the issue defensively and get more easy transition baskets. And the addition of Kwame Brown gives the Pistons another option in Curry’s toolbox, a big man capable of hand-to-hand combat with the dwindling supply of true post players.

So a big part of training camp is figuring out how five goes into two and how the varied skills of each of the five big guys best complement which specific other member of the group.

Here’s what I’ve figured out so far: Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess, because they’re the two guys who can step outside and knock down jumpers, probably aren’t going to be on the floor too often at the same time – though all bets are off in the last six or eight minutes of close games. That’s when I’d expect Curry to go with his two best players, and right now, on most nights, that’s still Wallace and McDyess.

But for the first 40 minutes? Everybody’s level of play increases when paired alongside Wallace. He’s their best back-to-the-basket scorer – even if he doesn’t do it as much as he once did, or as often as he might; he has the deepest shooting range; he’s their savviest team defender; and he ranks with McDyess as their best and most versatile post defender.

Curry put Johnson in the starting lineup partly because he thought his youthful athleticism was a necessary addition to a veteran starting lineup that sometimes needs a kick start. But it was also a decision driven largely by the security blanket Wallace offers Johnson with his constant vocal instructions and instant intuitive recognition of all situations. Put another way, Wallace will help harness and focus the potential brimming in Johnson.

Curry also has already come to the conclusion that Brown’s skills are best drawn out when paired with Wallace or McDyess.

“I thought Kwame would play really well with Sheed and Dice,” Curry said. “We really like to have him on the court with one of those guys because of their experience and ability to shoot the basketball. It really spreads the floor and gives him a chance to be really big in the paint. We were hoping that coming in and we’ve been able to see that. Amir is playing well with Rasheed and playing well with other guys. We knew what we would get out of Max. He’s played with those guys and Max can play with Kwame as well as Sheed and Dice.”

Maxiell’s progress – his mid-range jump shot continues to improve, and he’s got at least one or two staples to his low-post game now - moves him closer to the type of player Curry can use in tandem with someone other than Wallace or McDyess. Maxiell and Johnson, for instance, would give another different look – if they can prove that defensive rebounding wouldn’t suffer.

... http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com/2008/10/5-into-2-curry-tinkers-with-big-man.html

Mateen Cleaves
10-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Commencement finally addressed for Dumars

By Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo!Sports

As soon as his attorney called with an invitation to deliver a college commencement address, a surreal sense of certainty washed over Joe Dumars. Yes, it was time. All these years, all the wisdom and accomplishment that inspired Central Michigan to honor the Detroit Pistons president, and finally those lingering 21 credits crashed into his consciousness.

“How could I accept a doctorate,” Dumars said, “and not have a degree?”

Dumars left college with a terrific education in 1985, but no diploma. He always planned to finish, but the world came fast and whisked him out of little Lake Charles, La.. There were short summers with those Pistons’ playoff runs, a growing family, and eventually the move upstairs to run basketball operations at 36 years old. There was always something.

On his way to three NBA championships and an Olympic gold medal, a Naismith Hall of Fame induction and the league’s model front office, Dumars’ days of grace and accomplishment made him the most famous son of McNeese State University.

“But when we got the alumni newsletter in the mail,” Dumars’ wife, Debbie, said, “it would always be addressed to me.”

So Dumars picked up the phone some 18 months ago, called McNeese State University and enrolled in the online course needed to complete his bachelor’s of science in business management. He thought about his parents, Big Joe and Ophelia, a truck driver and a custodian, who had the intellect for college but never the opportunity. He thought about his wife, a teacher. He thought about his son and daughter. He thought about his front office, his players and everyone else with whom he felt obligated in life. He called McNeese and told them: It’s time.

...Read the rest of the story here: Joe Dumars gets his diploma (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlC.xf9samZSORTOUNqJO9e8vLYF?slug=aw-dumarsdegree101508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

King_stag
10-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Johnson's rise for Pistons is no mere fluke
Power forward continues to prove naysayers wrong

AUBURN HILLS -- Somewhere there is a former Pistons assistant coach who ought to be checking his vital signs. Two years ago, the assistant on Flip Saunders' coaching staff looked at Amir Johnson clanking one ugly-looking jumper after another during warmups and said, "As long as I am alive, Amir Johnson will never be in an NBA rotation."

Well sir, don't look now. Johnson will not only be in the rotation for tonight's opener against the Pacers, he will be the starting power forward for a Pistons team that again is expected to contend for the Eastern Conference title.

"Who said that? Damn," Johnson said. "That's OK. That just gives me fuel. Whoever the doubters are, man, I am going to prove everybody wrong."

Advertisement

Johnson already has proven a lot of people wrong. He didn't have a lot of supporters when the Pistons drafted him 56th overall in 2005.

He had just turned 18.

He had attended three Los Angeles high schools.

He was rail thin, at that time 210 pounds on a 6-foot-9 frame. To ask him to hold a defensive position against the likes of Ben Wallace or Rasheed Wallace was pointless and cruel.

His shooting stroke resembled a shot put, a crooked hoist from the shoulder. He wasn't comfortable handling the ball, and he struggled to grasp the half-court offense and team defense.

And, as green as he was on the floor, he was completely out of his element off it.

South Dakota is WHERE?
"I didn't know what to expect when I came here," Johnson said. "It took me about a year before I could even start to get comfortable. I didn't have no driver's license. I'd never lived on my own. I didn't know anything."

He didn't know how to cook pasta, for crying out loud. Who knew you had to put it in boiling water for a certain length of time?

It took him awhile to understand the vagaries of the Michigan left turn. He had never had to read a Teleprompter before, so those first few public-service announcements were tricky and embarrassing. When they told him to report to Sioux Falls, S.D., for the D-League, he had no idea South Dakota was even in the United States.

Personal banking, paying bills, keeping a household -- when had this kid ever had to worry about these things?

"Normally, an 18-year-old kid goes to college for three or four years and that's where he learns basically how to function in life and how to live on his own -- everything from paying the cable bill to feeding himself," said George David, the Pistons' director of player personnel. "Well, when you skip that step, essentially you are depending on somebody else to do that for you.

David not only played a big role in the decision to draft Johnson but also in helping with his adjustment to living here

"We made a point of at least trying to fill that gap for that first year," David said. "We didn't exactly tell him what to do, but we gave him the best advice we could and we made sure we were there to answer all of his questions."

Hard lessons
At first, Johnson didn't ask many questions. He learned like a lot of young people do -- by making mistakes. He got the odd traffic ticket (he still drives his jet-black Bentley too fast). He missed the odd bus or plane. He burned the odd noodle.

Worse, there were times those first two seasons when Johnson appeared dispirited, and his work ethic fluctuated.

Two years into his NBA career, the only ones who remained steadfast in their belief and support were his family, Pistons president Joe Dumars and his staff.

"He made his mistakes, but he learned," David said. "About two or three years after we drafted him, he started to realize not only what was important but why it was important. What's changed for Amir, more than anything, is his willingness to initiate a lot of this. Before, he would depend on us as an organization to tell him what he needs to do. Now he's to the point where he's giving us feedback on what he wants. He's more proactive now about his own development."

Case in point: After Johnson was drafted, owner Bill Davidson offered to hire a full-time academic tutor for him. Johnson politely declined. Today, without any encouragement from the team, he is taking online courses and pursuing a computer-science degree through the University of Michigan.

"Once you get into this league, you have to grow up fast," Johnson said. "There is so much you have to learn, business-wise. When I came here, all I knew was that I loved basketball and I knew I was coming to a championship team. My eyes were wide open and I was just basically a sponge, trying to learn everything I could. I wanted to learn what everybody else already knew."

One thing Johnson always had was a large and loving support group. Start with his mother, Deneen Griffin, who moved here and lived with him for a year. There always was Dumars and David, and Pistons vice president Scott Perry. Ryan Hoover, the Pistons director of player development, spent countless hours with him on and off the court.

On the court, he was nourished by the wisdom and tough love of veterans like Ben and Rasheed Wallace, as well as his fellow Class of 2005 draft-mate Jason Maxiell.

He also had Alex Acker as a role model. Acker, who played three years at Pepperdine, was a mature 22-year-old when the Pistons drafted him in 2005. They encouraged Acker to take Johnson under his wing, particularly when the two were sent to Fayetteville, N.C., to play in the D-League.

"At that time, he kind of had his own swag, his own demeanor, but all he really needed was a little leadership," Acker said. "He just needed somebody to get him to the gym and help him work on his game. That's what I was there for. Maturity-wise, he handles himself a lot better now."

'I am in place now'
Johnson's on-court maturity has been just as gradual, but it was far more visible. He was a dominating presence in the D-League at Fayetteville one year and Sioux Falls the next.

"Amir Johnson is going to be a productive NBA player, you can mark that down," said Mo McHone, a former Pistons assistant who coached Johnson at Sioux Falls. "If you let that kid play to his strengths, if you let him get out and run and use his athletic ability, he's going to be a big-time threat."

Dumars believed that, rewarding Johnson's potential with a three-year, $11.2 million contract before last season. Johnson showed flashes of brilliance last season, his first full season with the Pistons (he played in 11 NBA games the first two years), but never fully gained the trust of Saunders.

"I just tried to keep a good head and stay positive," Johnson said. "I was playing against all-star type players in the summers, both in L.A. and in Vegas, and I felt like I could play with those guys. Now is my chance."

Pistons first-year coach Michael Curry tabbed Johnson early in training camp to replace Antonio McDyess in the starting lineup. He figured, correctly, Johnson would mesh with a veteran starting unit, his athleticism and youth an effective complement to 34-year-old Rasheed Wallace.

Now 6-11 and closer to 245 pounds, Johnson is drawing comparisons to Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman -- players who didn't have to have the ball or produce offensively, yet affected games with defense and athleticism.

"Amir's impact on the game is in how we rebound and defend, and the speed with which he plays offensively and defensively," Curry said. "With the age of our starting unit, he's a welcomed addition to that group."

It's time for certain naysayers to maybe eat their words.

"I feel like I am 21 and I've been through everything," Johnson said. "I made some mistakes, but I won't make those same mistakes again. I just feel like I am in place now."

King_stag
11-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Hamilton, Wallace help Pistons beat Wizards

AUBURN HILLS -- A couple of one-time Wizards, Richard Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace, combined for 41 points to lead the Pistons past Washington, 117-109, on Saturday night.

Hamilton finished with 24 points and Wallace produced 17 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks. The duo teamed to score 21 of the Pistons' 30 points in the third quarter, taking them from one point down to five points up entering the final quarter.

Walter Herrmann, fast becoming the fans' darling, provided a huge spark for the Pistons. He had 16 points, seven rebounds, four assists and a steal.

In one three-minute span early in the final quarter, Herrmann had a steal, made a runner in the lane and hit Antonio McDyess with a long overhead pass that led to a layup.

Then, down the stretch, he forced a turnover, made a 3-pointer and brought the crowd to its feet with a scooping layup, giving the Pistons a 107-98 cushion with 2:56 left.

Fans were chanting, "Walt-er Herr-mann" in the final minutes when he added the icing on the cake -- a clinching 3-pointer with 1:20 left.

Herrmann was one of three bench players to score in double-figures. Rodney Stuckey and Jason Maxiell each had 11 points.

Another former Wizard, Kwame Brown, energized the Pistons in the second quarter. He sent the Pistons on a 16-9 burst to start the quarter with two straight-line layups, beating Andray Blatche off the dribble from the top of key both times. The run put the Pistons up by 17 points early in the second quarter.

As good as the Pistons were to that point, they were equally dreadful the rest of the quarter. They went six minutes without a field goal and made six turnovers amid that drought (five straight in one stretch).

The Wizards turned that into a 22-4 run and a 52-51 halftime lead. Former Piston Juan Dixon scored seven points in that spurt.

The Pistons had 15 turnovers in the first half, which the Wizards converted into 21 points. They settled down, though, and made just three more turnovers in the second half.

Antawn Jamison (24), Nick Young (23),and Caron Butler (21) led the Wizards (0-2).

Briefly
The new instant replay rules were applied in the first quarter. Wizards guard Antonio Daniels made what was ruled a long 2-point field goal at the 6:31 mark. Four minutes later, during a timeout with 2:38 left, the officials looked at video replay of the shot. The replay confirmed the initial call.

-Detroit's bench is awesome. Goldilocks (herrmann) filled the SF spot and seems comfortable coming off the bench. He adds scoring punch to the "zoo crew".

Mateen Cleaves
11-02-2008, 08:21 PM
-Detroit's bench is awesome. Goldilocks (herrmann) filled the SF spot and seems comfortable coming off the bench. He adds scoring punch to the "zoo crew".

Not just the offense. When they play smaller teams, Fabio and Prince can play at the same time. They can both defend the 3 and 4 so they have no worries about switching defensive assignments with each possession.

Mateen Cleaves
11-04-2008, 06:30 AM
It's official: Allen Iverson headed to Pistons
A. Sherrrod Blakely
MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/11/pistons_denver_trade_complete.html)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The trade of Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb for Denver's Allen Iverson, is done.

Iverson will take a physical tomorrow in Detroit, with a press conference scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. He will then head to Toronto where he's expected to play against the Raptors on Wednesday.

McDyess' reluctance to be included in the deal did not become an issue. He is expected to work out a buy-out with the Nuggets, and then re-sign with Detroit after he clears waivers.

Andy Miller, the agent for both Billups and McDyess, said the 34-year-old McDyess was not happy when he learned of the trade. His client gave thought to several options, including retirement.

Billups, however, isn't as torn about the trade.

He is a Denver native, and by most accounts considered one of the greatest prep players to ever come out of city.

"From Chauncey's point of view, its kind of a mixed bag of feelings," Miller said. "He feels very good about what he's done in Detroit, the legacy he has left. And coming back home to Denver, it's sort of like coming full circle for him."

For Detroit, the trade has several ramifications now as well as for the franchise's future.

By trading away Billups and McDyess for Iverson, the Pistons would shave about $34 million off their books in salary over the next three seasons. Billups makes $11.05 million this season and has another three years remaining on his contract that's worth about $40 million, while McDyess will make about $6.8 million and he has another year after this season for a similar amount. Iverson is in the last year of his deal which pays $20.84 million this season.

The trade also provides Detroit with a dynamic player who has been among the league's top players for more than a decade, and will surely help get a few more warm bodies in The Palace.

But you have to wonder, just how much does Iverson still have left?

The Pistons are banking on enough to get them back to the NBA Finals.

Through two games, the 32-year-old Billups is averaging 12.5 points and 7.5 assists (14.8 points and 5.5 assists for his career), while the 33-year-old Iverson, is averaging 18.7 points and 6.7 assists through three games (27.7 and 6.3 for his career).

McDyess, 34, has come off the bench to average 7 points and 4 rebounds in a pair of games.

---

Joe D. finally gets Iverson! He almost had him in 2000 for Stackhouse and Jerome Williams, but Matt Geiger's refusal to be part of the Philly package aborted the deal.

Kid Cubao
11-04-2008, 08:05 AM
whoa, detroit is now the team to watch. what the pistons may lose in floor leadership and bench scoring and D off the bench is i think more than made up for with iverson's scoring and uncanny foul-baiting ability. and besides, it's clear that joe dumars is liking what he is seeing as far as his rebuilding program is concerned.

King_stag
11-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Watch out, Joe Pulled the trigger early. He might make another move ::) Obviously, he needs another big because he gave up McDyess and Samb. I hope Dice gets his ice in Denver, the old man deserves a ring.

Mateen Cleaves
11-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Joe D also signed Rip Hamilton to a $34M, 3-year contract extension (2 years guaranteed). Rip would have had the option to become an unrestricted free agent in 2009.

With AI coming in, we might see Detroit initiating more of their offense through Tayshaun Prince as the point forward. Also, some pick-and-pops with Iverson-Rasheed channeling the vintage Isiah Thomas-Bill Laimbeer.

arjay_g
11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
does this mean AI will play the point in Detroit? Or will Stuckey be given the PG role while AI is the SG and maybe move RIP as a very small forward. I'm sure neither RIP nor AI will come off the bench.

I wonder what Sheed thinks of this. :)

Kid Cubao
11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
well, detroit has always relied on combo guards as a key ingredient for its success. having guards that versatile to play either spots allows them to easily go into three-guard combinations and not lose a beat. i foresee that an iverson-stuckey-hamilton guard trio can pose more problems for opponents during vital game stretches.

looking back, during the bad boys era, the three-guard combination of isiah, joe d, and microwave johnson more than manhandled their opponents, and the quality opponents they outplayed in the late 80s are now hall-of-famers and HOF candidates.

aircanda
11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
nice.. mas sasaket ulo ng boston niyan sa detroit.. ;D

dark_seid
11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
but they lost their only post up presence unless sheed goes back down low or prince suddenly decides to utilize his length.

pistons do not anymore have the luxury of using billups in the post when the playoffs arrive.

coreytaylor
11-04-2008, 01:50 PM
In 2004, Rasheed Wallace was the Perfect Storm for Detroit.
In 2009, will Allen Iverson be the Perfect Storm 2? ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Bad Boys fans, I've seen this article in Yahoo Sports. What do you think?

Pistons get Iverson now, LeBron later?
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Joe Dumars had the chance to consider Dallas’ Jason Kidd and his expiring contract over the summer, a league executive said Monday, but the Detroit Pistons president had bigger, bolder ideas. Allen Iverson still gives the Pistons a puncher’s chance in the Eastern Conference this season, but this trade isn’t about him. It isn’t about Chauncey Billups.

Think bigger.

Think bolder.

Think LeBron James, 2010.

The Pistons president doesn’t just have the salary cap space for the Cleveland Cavaliers star. He also has the connections and the championship credibility. Make no mistake: Detroit and Dumars are officially in hot pursuit of James – maybe even the favorite now – and it promises to be a long, agonizing two years for the Cavaliers.

Detroit doesn’t deliver the bright lights and global metropolis destination that James wants when he opts out of his contract in 2010, but two more years of watching Kobe Bryant win titles could transform his priorities. James wants badly to be considered the best player on the planet and that won’t happen until he’s a champion.

James wants a front office with a vision that honors his greatness, and make no mistake: This makes Detroit and Dumars so dangerous, makes them Cleveland’s worst nightmare. The city could justify losing its prodigal son to New York or Los Angeles, but nearby Detroit?

Cleveland would never recover.

So why Iverson over a possible package for Kidd? Several league executives know exactly why: The trade with Denver to make an unhappy Iverson happier just further imbeds the Detroit franchise deeper into James’ agent, Leon Rose, and advisor, William Wesley. Just as they represent James, they rep Iverson.

And as much as anyone, “World Wide” Wes is one of the most important voices in Lebron’s life. Wesley lives in Detroit, where one of Rose’s clients, Richard Hamilton, is a Pistons star. What’s more, Dumars is close to an agreement with Hamilton on a two-year extension that will keep him through 2012, sources say. This is a terrific show of faith for Hamilton, who is trying to recoup hundreds of thousands of dollars that a business manager allegedly stole from him.

Wesley comes and goes at the Palace of Auburn Hills as he pleases, and few have such a window into the winning culture of the Pistons.

As one rival GM said Monday, “Damn it, I am afraid Joe has this whole thing wired. He’s got everything in place to pull this off.”

The New Jersey Nets’ move to Brooklyn is falling apart, and so is owner Bruce Ratner’s chances of using limited partner, Jay-Z, to lure James. The Knicks will be a factor, but the bumbling of the Stephon Marbury mess has reflected horribly on the organization. The Knicks have an owner, GM and coach with differing agendas and they’ve made an initial poor impression. Detroit can’t compete with New York as the global city to market James, but winning could take care of everything.

With Donnie Walsh and Mike D’Antoni as GM and coach, the Knicks can still get their act together. Yet, no one will ever need to ask that of Dumars. No one else can sell James on a winning culture as compellingly as Dumars. He had gone as far as he could with Billups, who has three years and $36 million left on his contract. Billups gave the Pistons a slight edge over Iverson to make another run this season, but Dumars had already gotten a final run out of him a year ago. Detroit won a title, reached a Game 7 of the NBA Finals and six straight Eastern Conference finals with Billups.

Now, Billups is 32 years old. He’s declining. This is a low-risk, short-term, high-reward, long-term play for Dumars.

The Pistons president believes that the young guard Rodney Stuckey, a brilliant pick out of Eastern Washington, can take over the Pistons next year. Iverson and Rasheed Wallace could leave the payroll this summer, and the Pistons will be $22 million under the salary cap in 2009. They will have a core of Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Stuckey, Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson in 2010. No one else among James’ serious suitors with cap space has two All-Stars (Hamilton and Prince) and a potential third (Stuckey) for him to join.

Most of all, James knows he’d have Dumars to give him the right coach, the right teammates, the right atmosphere to chase championships for a long, long time. What makes this plan so ingenious is that the bridge from Iverson to Stuckey, from Wallace to Maxiell, makes it possible for the Pistons to reconstruct themselves without bottoming out. They’ll still be a 50-win team. Dumars hates the idea of rebuilding through the lottery, and that won’t need to happen here. He won’t be offering James a heap of ashes in 2010, but a good team needing him to complete its greatness.

For the flawed franchises falling over themselves to get under the salary cap for 2010, the most ingenious plan promises to start out of the NBA’s brightest executive mind. Joe Dumars is thinking big. He’s thinking bold. This will be an agonizing two years in Cleveland.

King_stag
11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Searched for AI's wiki for updates and i saw this:

Detroit Pistons

On November 3, 2008 Iverson was dealt to the Detroit Pistons for guard Chauncey Billups, forward Antonio McDyess, and center Cheikh Samb.[19] Iverson has in turn promised the people of Detroit that he will be bringing them the NBA championship for 2009. ZOMG!

;D

Kid Cubao
11-04-2008, 03:35 PM
if all things pan out as suggested in the article, then joe dumars is the most brilliant front office executive since red auerbach and jerry west--definitely he is already the best today. unlike pat riley and some other team presidents, joe D is laying all the pieces for the next pistons dynasty without running afoul of the league's strict salary cap rules.

King_stag
11-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Pistons retain focus in victory
Despite sadness and shock over trade, Detroit dispatches Charlotte with ease.

CHARLOTTE -- The remaining members of the Pistons' core -- now a band of three -- might have taken the floor with a heavy heart Monday after losing two of their brothers, Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess, in a trade with Denver for Allen Iverson.

But that didn't stop them from handling the young Charlotte Bobcats with relative ease, 101-83, for their third straight victory to start the season.

"We still have to go out and do what we do," said Rasheed Wallace, who posted 15 points. "We know (trades are) part of the business. Do we like it, maybe not. There's no telling at this point. But we still have to go out and play."

Even with the distraction, the Pistons put forth their cleanest effort of the season. They shot 50 percent and made 18 turnovers.

"It was a tough day," coach Michael Curry said. "To lose your captain and one of your emotional leaders and for the guys to gather themselves and play the way they did -- we're proud of them. That's what we expect. When you put that uniform on, regardless of what else is going on, we've got to play."

Clearly, the Pistons veterans were shocked by the trade. Richard Hamilton, Billups' All-Star backcourt mate who led the Pistons with 19 points, wouldn't talk to the media.

When asked if he was sad, shocked or hurt by the trade, Tayshaun Prince said, "Everything all into one. I can't even explain it. I won't even try to explain it."

Prince spent much of the day talking to Billups and said he was hurt a bit but doing well.

"When you had six straight years with somebody, you got that bond and that connection and then all of a sudden it's gone," Prince said. "That's tough."

The trade created a temporary opportunity for point guard Will Bynum. He moved to the No. 2 spot behind starter Rodney Stuckey and made the most it. He scored 10 points and assisted on a basket in a fourth-quarter surge that helped the Pistons pull away.

The Pistons ran high pick-and-roll plays throughout the fourth quarter. The Bobcats continually switched, leaving a bigger defender on the speedy Bynum. He made them pay repeatedly.

"That's Will Bynum's strength," Curry said. "If I don't run high pick-and-rolls for him, he's going to find a way to run them anyway."

It was his first NBA playing time since 2005 and he finished with 12 points and four assists.

"That's the most important thing about us," Prince said. "We are still going to play."

Prince did try to put a positive spin on the trade.

"We're getting something special (Allen Iverson) in return, I know that," he said. "I hope the trade inspires him, which I know it will. When he gets here we are going to welcome him with open arms."

Slam dunks
Wallace picked up his and the team's first technical foul of the season.

... The Bobcats went to the line 33 times and made 27. The Pistons made seven of nine.

pio_valenz
11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I think the trade can go either way. Marty Burns of si.com believes Joe D. was looking at jump-starting the locker room which had become complacent. Sheed's arrival in '04 produced a similar effect. But Iverson has never been known as a chemistry-type guy, and one important thing that Burns overlooked in the Sheed in '04 comparison was the Larry Brown factor: Sheed and Brown are both UNC alums and they got along well.

On paper, the Pistons' line-up looks formidable, but I prefer to wait and see. Of course, since I'm a C's fan, I'm hoping this trade won't work. :P

On the other hand, I have Billups in two of my three fantasy teams, so I hope his move to Denver will be a good one stats-wise. :)

razor
11-04-2008, 05:39 PM
The good thing about this trade for the Pistons is that AI's contract is expiring this season.

If things do not work out, they can use him a trade bait knowing how valuable expiring contracts are in the NBA or, at the very least, they get to clear salary cap space to make a run for some of the free agents next fall.

tigerman
11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
if all things pan out as suggested in the article, then joe dumars is the most brilliant front office executive since red auerbach and jerry west--definitely he is already the best today. unlike pat riley and some other team presidents, joe D is laying all the pieces for the next pistons dynasty without running afoul of the league's strict salary cap rules.

I have to agree on this. The drafting of Darko though was a big asterisk to his legacy as a gm. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
11-05-2008, 12:08 AM
goodbye Chauncey Bibibibillll upppppps! welcome Allen AAAAAA Iversonnnnnn!

Palace of Auburn Hills PA John Mason is probably practicing now.* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Mateen Cleaves
11-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Iverson 'committed' to win title with Pistons
Bob Wojnowski / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- Make no mistake about it: Allen Iverson is happy to be here.

The nine-time All-Star officially was introduced as the newest Detroit Piston Tuesday, and the wide grin told it all. The Pistons gave up their captain, Chauncey Billups, to get Iverson in a trade with Denver, and the reinvention of the Pistons officially has begun.

Iverson, 33, is one of the NBA's all-time leading scorers, and he brings superstar credentials to a team long known for shared roles and cohesiveness. Iverson will wear jersey No. 1 (Billups' old number) and could play Wednesday night when the Pistons visit Toronto, though that is not certain.

"I just want to let the fans here in Detroit know that I'm committed to bringing the championship back here," Iverson said. "As far as on the basketball court, I'll still be the same guy, playing every game like it's my last. And I'll try to do things the right way."

Dumars introduced Iverson and the mood was light and hopeful at The Palace. Iverson even laughed about his infamous rant years ago about his disdain for practice, chuckling that "I set myself up for that one."

Iverson was dressed conservatively in a long beige shirt and sounded like a guy desperate to fit in.

"I'm willing to sacrifice whatever I have to sacrifice to get it done," Iverson said. "I've tried it my way plenty of times, tried it different ways, and it hasn't been done. That's something I have to look in the mirror at myself and think of things I can do to help us win a championship."

---

Reportedly, after Iverson said that at the Pistons press conference, a journalist blurted out, "Even practice?"... Then Iverson responded with his infamous, "Practice?!!!"* ;D

bchoter
11-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Interesting to see how AI adjusts his game to fit the Pistons' system. I hope he makes the right adjustments and I really hope he gets that elusive crown this time.

Mateen makiki-angkas sa bandwagon ha :D

MonL
11-05-2008, 08:05 AM

I have to agree on this. The drafting of Darko though was a big asterisk to his legacy as a gm.* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

If he will go down as one of the best GMs there are, one mistake or two wouldn't matter. What is important is that he made the moves that did matter.

Just ask the Boston Celtics about Kevin Stacom, Norm Cook, Tom Boswell, Glenn McDonald, the great Michael Smith ("He playes a lot like Larry Bird - we hope"* :D), Vlade Divac, Shawn Kemp, Tim Hardaway and a lot more draft busts and big fishes that got away during Red Auerbach's watch. Nobody in Boston cares.

The_Big_Cat
11-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Just ask the Boston Celtics about Kevin Stacom, Norm Cook, Tom Boswell, Glenn McDonald, the great Michael Smith ("He playes a lot like Larry Bird - we hope"* :D), Vlade Divac, Shawn Kemp, Tim Hardaway and a lot more draft busts and big fishes that got away during Red Auerbach's watch. Nobody in Boston cares.

OT: Arvidas Sabonis was also a draft pick by the Boston Celtics.

Allen Iverson has always been a 2-guard in his NBA career. Rip Hamilton is a 2-guard also.
I still smell something. Maybe another trade is waiting to happen.

amdgc82
11-05-2008, 09:22 AM

Allen Iverson has always been a 2-guard in his NBA career. Rip Hamilton is a 2-guard also.

OT: Arvydas Sabonis was not a draft pick of the Boston Celtics. He was a fourth-round draft pick of the Atlanta Hawks in 1985.

Kid Cubao
11-05-2008, 09:46 AM
OT: i thought it was portland who originally picked sabonis in 1986, together with drazen petrovic.

MonL
11-05-2008, 09:46 AM

OT: Arvydas Sabonis was not a draft pick of the Boston Celtics. He was a fourth-round draft pick of the Atlanta Hawks in 1985.

More OT:

And Sabonis was again drafted, in the first round by Portland later on.

Other Yugoslavian draftees by Boston are:
Drazen Dalipagic - 6'8" forward never played for the Celtics. According to Red then, they could have used him "if he only spoke a little English."
Stojko Vrankovic -* 7'2" warmed the bench in his short stint in the NBA. Only claim to fame was that he looked like Mr. Bean. :D
Dino Radja - 6'11" had a good career as a Celtic. Celtics' best rebounder in his time. But, according to the wise guys who wrote his highlight on The Complete Handbook of Pro Basketball, being the best rebounder in Boston is like being the best swimmer in Death Valley. :D*

franz_inwurdz
11-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Since AI will be a sought after free agent next year. You can also look at it as getting a 1 year trial period before making a big purchase. Malaki-laki ang salary cap nila next year as Rasheed's contract also expires.

If it doesn't work, after a year, no commitments, shopping ulit. Very smart 8)

Mateen Cleaves
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
If he will go down as one of the best GMs there are, one mistake or two wouldn't matter. What is important is that he made the moves that did matter.

The other thing is that when he does make a mistake, he moves to rectify them. Darko Milicic was traded to Orlando (with Carlos Arroyo) for Kelvin Cato and a first round draft pick which Detroit used to get Rodney Stuckey.

Here's a clip from Detroit's press conference for Iverson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY1JcvgH0XQ ... :D

tigerman
11-10-2008, 11:12 AM
AI's 1st home game as a Piston has been spoiled by the defending champs.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Mateen Cleaves
11-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Chauncey Billups talks candidly about trade, Flip
By MICHAEL ROSENBERG • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • November 13, 2008

CLEVELAND –– Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton were crying. There they were, two NBA All-Stars, in Billups’ room in the Hilton City Center in Charlotte … crying. And laughing. And crying again.

The Pistons had just traded Billups to the Denver Nuggets for Allen Iverson. Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince had gotten word that morning, when Billups did not attend the team’s shootaround. They got back to the hotel and pounded on Billups’ door.

Billups was on the phone with his wife, Piper. He told her he’d call her back later. It turned out to be much later.

“It was the hardest two or three hours that I’ve had in a long, long time in my life,” Billups said. “We just couldn’t believe that it’s over. It’s over. That’s the thing that’s so tough about trades. No matter what happens, it’s over. So those two or three hours were crazy.”

They reminisced, told stories, savored their last hours before Billups’ 4 p.m. flight to another franchise. It was a strange dynamic, and not just because of the crying.

The three had been teammates since 2002, when they joined the Pistons. There had been trade rumors all summer. Pistons president Joe Dumars had told Billups that he had offered Billups and Prince for Denver’s Carmelo Anthony, and that he had turned down a Billups-for-Iverson trade over the summer. Once the season started, Billups figured the Pistons would stick with their core.

Now Billups knew he was gone. Prince knew the trade meant that he probably would stay put. And Hamilton had just agreed, days earlier, to a three-year contract extension.

There is no place for sentiment in the NBA. But there was a place for it in Chauncey Billups’ hotel room that day.

“It was good,” Billups said in a wide-ranging interview Thursday, at the Nuggets’ team hotel in Cleveland. “It was deep. I will never forget my six years in Detroit, and I will never forget those three hours that I spent with my two brothers in that room.”

--------

Didn't post the rest of the article because it was quite long. But it's a good interview. Well worth a visit. Among others, Chauncey talks about Ben Wallace calling to condole with him; his reaction upon seeing the #1 on Iverson; Flip Saunders, etc. Read the rest of the story here:

http://www.freep.com/article/20081113/COL22/81113121/1051/SPORTS03

bchoter
11-14-2008, 04:13 PM
^ Thanks Mateen. That's a good piece.

King_stag
11-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Stuck seems to be comfortable making clutch plays.
Lakers, cavs, celtics? what a week. I hope they start strong later :)

tigerman
11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Losing to a mediocre team is a big no-no but losing by a big margin against the same team AT HOME is way, way disappointing.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

King_stag
12-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Stuckey gets 40, sticks it to Bulls
Overlooked sophomore outplays Chicago's high-profile rookie Rose, leads Detroit to win.

AUBURN HILLS -- Rodney Stuckey didn't come into the league with the same iconic pedigree that Bulls heralded rookie Derrick Rose had.

Rose, the No. 1 overall pick last year out of Memphis, has all but been given the rookie of the year award this season. Stuckey, the No. 15 pick out of Eastern Washington in 2007, didn't even make the rookie All-Star game last year and just recently cracked the Pistons starting lineup.

But on Tuesday at The Palace, Stuckey showed that pedigree doesn't win basketball games.

With Allen Iverson out the second half because of a groin injury, Stuckey scored a career-high 40 points, carrying the Pistons to a much-needed, 104-98 victory over the Bulls.

"I was telling him, 'We're going to go to you, man, you've got the hot hand,' " Richard Hamilton said. "I told him I was just going to get out of his way, but I said, 'You better make those free throws or MC is going to be on my tail.' "

"MC" -- coach Michael Curry -- didn't even have to raise his voice.

"I told you all that he's a pretty good player," Curry said of Stuckey. "He works hard on his game every day. Usually he's the last player to leave the (practice) court."

Stuckey overpowered every defender (they used at least four) the Bulls put on him. In a career-high 42 minutes, Stuckey made 15 of 24 shots.

Down the stretch, as the Bulls steadfastly refused to go away, Stuckey forced two turnovers then shot the dagger, a long 2-pointer from the top of the key that gave the Pistons a 99-88 lead with 2:07 left.

He capped it with five free throws in the final minute.

"I was just playing my game," Stuckey said. "Just being aggressive."

Rose struggled. He was in foul trouble early, eventually fouling out with 30 seconds left. He finished with 10 points in 21 minutes.

"I always felt, even last year, that when Stuckey is able to start he can dictate how he wanted to play the game," Curry said.

In the seven games he's started, Stuckey is averaging 18.4 points, 7.4 assists and is shooting 61.7 percent.

"I knew he was capable of 40, just how aggressive he is and how he attacks the basket," said Hamilton, who had 14 points. "He didn't take any forced shots, that's the great thing about it. He did it all in the rhythm of the offense."

The Pistons once again lost most of a 19-point lead -- this time with two minutes left in the first half. The Bulls pulled within one after a 12-0 run to start the third. In that run, the Pistons missed nine straight shots and Rasheed Wallace picked up his 11th technical foul.

And Iverson left the game. Sometime late in the first half he strained his left groin. He tried to play in the third but couldn't get it loose. He's listed as day to day. He finished with eight assists but missed all seven of his field goal attempts in 24 minutes.

It was the second time in his career he didn't make at least one field goal.

Stuckey made sure it didn't kill them this time. He made a 3-pointer to stop the bleeding, then scored seven points in an order-restoring 10-0 run.

It was his night.

stonecold316
12-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Stuckey is living his dream right now.
What a player!

Mateen Cleaves
12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Magic win stirs talk of potential lineup switch
Keith Langlois
True Blue Pistons (http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com/2008/12/magic-win-stirs-talk-of-potential.html)

Rip: Rhymes with Pipp.

Back in a time before the Yankees would spend a half-billion dollars every winter to rebuild their baseball team, they would develop their own superstars. One of them was some guy named Gehrig, who subbed one day for the incumbent first baseman – Wally Pipp – and never went back to the bench. Ever since, nearly a century later, it’s still referred to as getting Pipp-ed when somebody sits because of injury and doesn’t get his job back.

The idea that Hamilton, the Pistons’ leading scorer for each of his six seasons in Detroit and a three-time All-Star, is in any danger of losing his place in the franchise’s pantheon is, of course, ludicrous.

But his place in the starting lineup? Well … check back tomorrow, or next week, or next month. But Michael Curry at least gave broad suggestions after Monday’s very nice win over Orlando – which came in on a seven-game win streak – with Hamilton in street clothes that he and Joe Dumars have thought about starting two big men again and saving the small lineup for situation-driven moments.

“We’ve looked at our lineup at different times and thought about different guys possibly coming off the bench,” Curry said when asked if Hamilton, who missed his second straight game with a groin strain, would be used in a super-sub role upon his return. “But we haven’t made the decision on that. That’s kind of a tough decision.

“But you look at teams that have done it and it’s pretty effective. The Lakers with Lamar Odom, it’s pretty effective for them. (Andrei) Kirilenko in Utah has been really effective and the same thing with (Manu) Ginobili in San Antonio. It can be effective, and whether it’s any of our perimeter guys, one of them coming off the bench, maybe we have to look at it. But we’ll just cross that bridge when we get to it.”

Amir Johnson gave the Pistons 19 active minutes as the replacement starter, grabbing seven rebounds and blocking two shots, and Curry was right to again point out that with Johnson, the stats reveal maybe half of his net worth. Jason Maxiell was good in his 16 minutes, too, scoring a couple of nice baskets inside and racking up another spectacular blocked dunk attempt.

Antonio McDyess was the player of the game, playing the second and fourth quarters and scoring nine of his 11 points, grabbing half his eight rebounds and handing out three of his five assists in the critical fourth when the Pistons played lock-down defense, holding Orlando to 30 percent shooting. Orlando shot just 40 percent for the game, well under its .459 average, and was held 19 points under its per-game scoring average – and all that despite superb 3-point shooting from Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard’s destructive third quarter, when he got inside and made tough shots, scoring 13 of his 18 points.

And that begs the question: Are the Pistons better offensively by a significant enough margin with their small lineup to offset the edge they quite clearly get defensively by going big? “I think the big lineup makes us better defensively,” Curry said, “and at the end of the day, we’re going to have to make sure we’re good enough defensively. We know we can go to the small lineup if we have to. If we’re playing a team in the playoffs and we have to play small a lot, we feel comfortable going to the small lineup. We’ve played it a lot. We’ll be able to play both of them throughout the year and decide game by game what the best lineup is for us to give us the best chance to win that game.”

And that begs another question, a really big one: If Curry decides going big is the best long-term solution, who sits? He’s gushed about what Rodney Stuckey does for both the offense and the defense as the point guard. It probably won’t be Stuckey. That leaves Iverson or Hamilton. More than bruising an ego, the question that bears asking is should they expect that either of those two can be the same irrepressible scoring force – the thing that most clearly defines their NBA value – coming off the bench, a role neither has experienced?

“You find a way,” Iverson said about the dilemma. “You find a way. That’s what it’s all about. There’s going to be adversity at times. The thing is just getting through it. He’s an All-Star. You’ve got to get him back in the lineup. I think we’re better with him in the lineup, but that just says we have two weapons. We can go big and we can go little. I don’t think it will be a problem. Our whole thing is just concentrating on playing defense, keeping a team to 20 points and under for every quarter and keep focusing on that and I think we’ll be fine.”

Curry said one other thing that would argue for a return to the bigger lineup when he was asked about the all-around game Rasheed Wallace played with 16 points, six boards, three blocks and a defensive presence that was largely responsible for limiting Howard to one first-half point. “Sheed was excellent,” Curry said. “When Sheed has struggled defensively, it’s without that protection, that other big out on the court, and it leaves him out to protect the paint and be up on pick and rolls. He just seems to be more energized. His defensive level seems to pick up when he has another big out there to kind of help protect him.”

There’s no easy answer for Curry. Hamilton has to play 35 minutes a night. As much as the Pistons need the defense and rebounding they get from using a steady diet of their deep stable of big men, they need the coldblooded scoring Hamilton provides, too. But you could look at it another way, too. Maybe there’s no wrong answer here for the Pistons. Maybe in the quest to find out which lineup works better, the big or the small, the Pistons will wind up, as Allen Iverson suggests, with two distinctly different looks that can pull their fat from the fire on alternating nights.

King_stag
01-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Stuckey saves the day for Pistons with 38
Pistons outlast Kings for sixth straight victory even though they only had nine healthy players.

AUBURN HILLS -- The Pistons were so short-handed for Friday's game against the Kings, assistant coach Dave Cowens had to jump into the pregame huddle dance to fill out the circle.

Unfortunately for the Pistons, the Hall-of-Famer, a former Celtics center, couldn't play.

Without Rasheed Wallace (sore right foot), Richard Hamilton (left groin) and Antonio McDyess (ribs), the Pistons were down to nine healthy players, and just three frontcourt players.

As a result, their 98-92 victory over the lottery-bound Kings was more of a struggle than it should have been.

They didn't secure the win until Rodney Stuckey took things into his own hands in the final 2:27.

He made a layup and then converted a three-point play to put the Pistons up 94-86 with 2:01 left. Then, with the crowd chanting "Stuck-ey, Stuck-ey," he calmly passed to Amir Johnson under the basket for a dunk.

He wasn't done. After the Kings cut the lead to four, 96-92, with six straight free throws, Stuckey worked the ball to Allen Iverson, who hit a corner jumper with 15.2 seconds left to lock it up.

"I just felt like I had an advantage at the point guard position with (Kings guards) Beno Udrih or Bobby Brown and I was being aggressive," said Stuckey, who had 38 points and seven assists. "Sometimes they were focusing on AI and the other guys coming off screens and I wanted to take advantage one-on-one when it was to my advantage."

As for his pass to Iverson, Stuckey shrugged, "I knew they were focusing on me and I saw Iverson made that flair cut to the corner and I passed him the ball. I have all the confidence in the world in AI. Who doesn't?"

It was the Pistons' sixth straight win. Their record now is a respectable 20-11.

"Right now we are starting to feel real good as a team," Iverson said. "We are starting to get that confidence and swagger. We didn't have that feeling at first. Obviously, running off six straight wins helps you feel a lot better, but we are coming together."

The box score from this game makes absolutely no sense. Stuckey, Iverson (23 points) and Tayshaun Prince (23 points, 10 rebounds, three blocks) provided all but 14 of the team's points. Johnson provided 10 of those, with a career-high 14 rebounds.

But the Pistons were outscored 33-18 at the free-throw line, 35-2 off the bench, 21-10 on fast-break points and 9-0 on 3-point shots.

"Well, it helps when Stuckey gets 38 and Iverson and Tay gets 23," said Curry, who had to give the scoring sheet a double-take. "We knew it was going to be a unique situation and I thought those guys coming off the bench did a good job. They were coming off (the bench) as defenders tonight."

It was the first time the Pistons didn't make a 3-pointer in a game since April 10, 2005, against the Heat.

"We are just happy to get any win any way," Iverson said. "We knew it would be rough. The thing about it, everybody took advantage of the minutes they got. We are going to need everybody in the long haul. People get in foul trouble. People get hurt. That's what being a team is all about."

The Pistons' defense continues to play well. After holding their three previous opponents to 77.7 points, they limited the Kings to 33.7-percent shooting. Had they not been fouled so frequently, the Kings might not have scored 60.

The Kings made 33 of 34 free throws.

Brad Miller, taking advantage of a smaller Pistons lineup, had 25 points and 16 rebounds. John Salmons had 21 and Kevin Martin 20 for the Kings, who played without starting power forward Spencer Hawes.

Stuckey, though, was able to cancel out all those numbers. The only time he seemed to get flustered all night was when he was asked about the crowd chanting his name.

"It feels good," he said, looking down. "You know, it's our home court."

King_stag
01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
AI and Stuck starting at guard for Detroit seems to work. 10-3 after stuckey is assigned as the starting PG. AI is the Answer, Stuckey is the reason* :P

*for the winning streak

Mateen Cleaves
01-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Good win for the Pistons, 93-90 over the Nuggets at Denver. Detroit trailed almost all game until Tayshaun Prince's (19 pts) running push shot finally gave them the lead for good. Great games by both Chauncey Billups (30 pts) and AI (23 pts, 20 in the 2nd half). With Hamilton and Wallace still out, plus Stuckey bothered by a sore back, the Pistons got solid play off the bench from McDyess (12 rebs), Maxiell (9 pts, 7 rebs) and Arron Afflalo (17 pts). In a game where the Pistons would finish with 13 missed free throws, Afflalo came up clutch with 6 straight FTs to ice the game. ;D

Mateen Cleaves
02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like AI is willing to try anything to change the way this season is going...*

http://detroitpistonsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=582.

:)

myktristan
02-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Bad boys, wake up! 4 game losing streak? time to go to work!

john_paul_manahan
02-21-2009, 06:29 AM
great stat to notice: they are only .500 at home. which is disappointing...

tigerman
02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
8th straight loss for Detroit. Sheed got his 16th technical for the season so he gets an automatic one-game suspension while AI aggravated his back injury.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Mateen Cleaves
02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Yup. and 10 straight is looking more probable with road games coming up at Orlando and Boston.

tigerman
02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Who's the culprit for the downfall of the Detroitttt Basketballlll?

AI
Curry
Sheed
Dumars

or the team as a whole?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

christian
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Ang laki ng gamble ni Joe D.

coreytaylor
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
With Steve Kerr not trading Amare and firing Porter, I think Joe D gets the new the title: MORON! ;D

dark_seid
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Who's the culprit for the downfall of the Detroitttt Basketballlll?

AI
Curry
Sheed
Dumars

or the team as a whole?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

huh? downfall?
are you referring to the brand of detroit basketball that won the 2004 chip?
that was long dead circa 2005. it was dead when a banged up d-wade and a one-legged shaq took them to the limit in their playoff series. and really dead when a young and spry manu ginobili shredded their defense with that wacky dribble penetration of his and dunked on the face of ben wallace, their premier defender, in game 7.

joe dumars is wise enough to get rebuilding started already. he made a mistake (albeit helped with the reluctance of larry brown to play/develop rookies) in 2003 when he took his #2 overall pick. but he has started early than what other teams are doing/planning for 2010.

tigerman
02-28-2009, 08:36 AM
huh? downfall?
are you referring to the brand of detroit basketball that won the 2004 chip?
that was long dead circa 2005. it was dead when a banged up d-wade and a one-legged shaq took them to the limit in their playoff series. and really dead when a young and spry manu ginobili shredded their defense with that wacky dribble penetration of his and dunked on the face of ben wallace, their premier defender, in game 7.

While "Detroitttt basketballll run" only produced one title, 6th straight east finals is something to marvel at considering that they played under 3 different coaches.

What I'm trying to say is this: They've been one of the elite teams the last 6-7 years and to see them play like this is definitely a downfall. There's a possiblity that they won't even make it to the playoffs.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Mateen Cleaves
02-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Detroit basketball is about team basketball. Sharing on offense, working as a unit on defense. Unfortunately, AI's game is not a good fit to that.

That's not his fault. He's played the same way his entire career. There's no questioning his talent, his heart, and his effort. But, he's always been the guy who needs the ball in his hands to create shots for himself. That creates a lot of standing around, and restricts the ball movement that the Pistons have been used to.

On defense, he's always been a gambler -- getting a lot of steals and interceptions but often out of position. Not to mention that a barely 6-foot shooting guard is an instant mismatch in the NBA. Detroit's bigs have to help out a lot when he's on the floor.

The Pistons knew that when they got him. But I guess they and AI underestimated how difficult it would be to mesh his game with Pistons ball.

However, IF Dumars and Curry can now get Iverson to buy into the idea of playing the Vinnie Johnson role off the bench -- there might still be time to salvage the season. Their schedule is a little bit more favorable after this current stretch that they're going through. Iverson playing against the other teams second unit might just allow them to maximize his game and hide his defensive shortcomings at the same time... or so we hope.* :)

joelex
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Detroit just snapped their losing streak with Iverson out of the lineup.

Coincidence or not, it just doesnt look good for The Answer.

bossman
02-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Something to think about come summertime. Stick with The Answer or go find someone else?

Mateen Cleaves
03-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Detroit did go 6-2 WITH Iverson, and without Hamilton and Wallace. Iverson is still Iverson.* I don't think there's any question that for this season, Detroit is still better with a superstar, than without. They just have to figure out how to best use him. Right now, it does look like its best* if he comes off the bench. But it also doesn't exclude the possibility of Iverson being a regular part of Detroit's finishing 5 in close games.

Something to think about come summertime. Stick with The Answer or go find someone else?

There's really nothing much to think about, IMO. Iverson is not in Detroit's Plan A for summer of 2009.

When his and Rasheed's salaries are taken off the books, Detroit is going use that to go after people like Boozer, Okur, maybe Ben Gordon, or Chris Bosh (if Toronto doesn't think they can re-sign him for 2010). The only way that Iverson comes back is if he is willing to sign for much much less than market value. And he's willing to continue playing for a team where he won't be the focus of the gameplan. I don't think that's going to happen.

tigerman
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
The AI-less Pistons defeated the defending champs for its 2nd straight win. Incidentally, those wins came against division leaders.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Detroit spoils the return of Chauncey Bi-billluppps for its 3rd straight win over a division leader.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

arjay_g
03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
^ and again they do it without Iverson. ;D

Mateen Cleaves
03-05-2009, 06:33 AM
^Yes. But they needed all of the starters to score in double digits. Only 7 points from the five bench guys, all of them from Will Bynum. If AI would only embrace the spark-off-the-bench role. A playing group that included Maxiell, Johnson, Afflalo and Hermann could be a crew that would run and play the open court game with AI.

Meanwhile, here's a great video of the Detroit fans welcoming Chauncey Billups on his first game back after The Trade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjjenm9eUww.

Mateen Cleaves
04-04-2009, 09:03 AM
That's the end of the Allen Iverson Experiment. Unfortunately for him -- legitimate injury or not -- the consensus opinion will be that he gave up on the team and the season just because his ego couldn't handle coming off the bench.

From Detroit Pistons Basketball @ MLive.com

Allen Iverson to Miss Rest of the Season (http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/04/allen_iverson_to_miss_the_rest.html)

Allen Iverson Never Was Able to Fit In (http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/04/allen_iverson_never_was_able_t.html)

cub
04-06-2009, 12:17 PM
he has a new nick name. Allen "the Canswer" Iverson

john_paul_manahan
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM
8th seed. they may probably get just 1 win against the lebrons in detroit.

tigerman
04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Detroit's streak of 6th straight trips to the east finals is over as they were swept by the Cavs.

Rip, Prince and Sheed should be embarassed on their game 4 performance. They were a combined 3 of 24 from the floor.

I expect a major revamp on the Detroit lineup. Don't be surprised if 2 out of those 3 veterans won't be back next season.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

arjay_g
04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
^of the 3, it's Sheed who'll most likely be gone next season. I think Rip just signed a contract extension and is said to be in Dumars' plans, so i doubt he'll be going. I'm not sure about Prince though.

coreytaylor
04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Di bale na kung sino mawawala sa mga players basta dapat palitan ang Coach! :D

MonL
05-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Chuck Daly, Hall of Fame Coach of the Two-time World Champion, Original Bad Boys Pistons and the 1992 Dream Team, the First and Greatest ever, succombed to pancreatic cancer. He was 78.

I mourn his passing. :(

Details below:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvPS1c2RnKQ6S0yZqMYOqIO8vLYF?slug=ap-obit-chuckdaly&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kid Cubao
05-10-2009, 04:15 AM
rest in peace, chuck.

Mateen Cleaves
05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Despite the Bad Boys image of his team, Chuck Daly was always classy. Any NBA coach who gets hired on the basis of "defense wins championships" owes a debt of gratitude to him. Plus, he had the coolest nickname of any NBA coach ever -- Daddy Rich. :)

To think that he wasn't even Detroit's first choice as head coach back then! - Pistons' choice to hire Daly as coach surprises (Archived article from the Detroit News)
(http://detnews.com/article/20090509/SPORTS0102/905090385/1127/sports0102/Pistons--choice-to-hire-Daly-as-coach-surprises)

Kid Cubao
05-11-2009, 05:39 AM
yes indeed, he developed a totally revolutionary mindset in basketball. when he first took the helm in detroit, pro basketball was all about offense, which was not really bad from a fan's standpoint. ang style noon, dapat meron defensive stopper ang bawat team na babantay kung sino man ang mainit sa kalaban, kaya merong michael cooper, bobby jones, bill handzlik, and even dennis johnson, and that's about the full extent of the defense's game plan--ipasok sila para palamigin yung kumakamada. kaya ang nangyayari, halos sila yang tumatrabaho sa depensa ;D

what chuck did was reintroduce the concept of team defense at the NBA level. proof are the "jordan rules," which he has always disavowed on the basis that whichever all-star they play against, it'll always be him vs the detroit pistons. he also made full use of three-guard and no-center combinations to create mismatches in his favor, not the other way around. he just let them play.

MonL
05-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Despite the Bad Boys image of his team, Chuck Daly was always classy. Any NBA coach who gets hired on the basis of "defense wins championships" owes a debt of gratitude to him. Plus, he had the coolest nickname of any NBA coach ever -- Daddy Rich. :)

To think that he wasn't even Detroit's first choice as head coach back then! - Pistons' choice to hire Daly as coach surprises (Archived article from the Detroit News)
(http://detnews.com/article/20090509/SPORTS0102/905090385/1127/sports0102/Pistons--choice-to-hire-Daly-as-coach-surprises)

Credit that Daddy Rich tag to the in-house stand-up comic then, John Salley. In fact, he did moonlight as a stand-up comic and got his fair share of laughs.

Their physical play merited tags as "Fistons" and other names, causing a perceived image problem. According to The Complete Handbook of Pro Basketball by Zander Hollander (1990 ed), instead of doing damage control though, they thrived with that image, as they got into opposing teams' heads. In fact, they were being compared with the NFL's Oakland Raiders team and in one article it was written that they should wear a skull and crossbones with black as their team color. The owner of the Raiders liked the article and mailed black t-shirts with the team logo to the Pistons. Sally wore one, flexed his biceps in front of cameras and said "Am I BAD, or what?"

And the Bad Boys were born.

bossman
05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
AI just brought some bad vibes with him to Motown! AI should be out next season

tigerman
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
a nice and heartwarming article about Chauncey B-B-B-B-Billups!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090511/billups

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

arjay_g
05-13-2009, 02:33 AM
^loved this article about Chauncey...

he's the reason I picked Denver as a darkhorse in the playoffs. He knows how to beat the Lakers. ;)

Mateen Cleaves
05-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Hundreds turn out to mourn Hall of Fame coach Chuck Daly

TEQUESTA, Fla. - Chuck Daly's team gathered around him one last time. Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn were side by side on one end, Joe Dumars on the right, Isiah Thomas and Vinnie Johnson standing together a few feet back.

The Bad Boys were together again, not as players but pallbearers who gave their coach a sad, fond farewell.

"He was coaching all of us until the day he died," Thomas said. "He was a wonderful, wonderful human being and a great mentor, a great friend."

Hundreds of mourners said farewell to the Hall of Fame coach Wednesday, including close friends like Billy Cunningham and Rollie Massimino, players from his 1989 and 1990 Detroit Pistons teams that won NBA titles, and even Rick Carlisle -- a former Daly assistant who served as a pallbearer even though his Dallas Mavericks faced playoff elimination later that night.

..."Missing this was not an option." -- Rick Carlisle

... "I think we all aspired to be like him. We couldn't." -- Pat Riley

...rest of the article here (http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/05/hundreds_turn_out_to_mourn_hal.html)

Mateen Cleaves
07-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Pistons fire coach Michael Curry after one season
by A. Sherrod Blakely
mlive.com
Tuesday June 30, 2009, 1:25 PM

AUBURN HILLS - The never-ending carousel of coaches for the Detroit Pistons continues with the announcement that head coach Michael Curry has been fired.

"This was a difficult decision to make," said Joe Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations. "I want to thank Michael for his hard work and dedication to the organization. However, at this time, I have decided to make a change." Curry went 39-43 in his first season as Detroit was swept out of the playoffs by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

While there will be many who will push for former Piston and ex-Detroit Shock head coach Bill Laimbeer to get the job, it appears as though the Pistons will be looking to bring in a more established head coach. "It became clear to me that we would need a more experienced coach to help guide us through this period," Dumars said via text.

Former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson will likely get strong consideration for the job. Johnson won 100 regular season games faster than any coach in NBA history. However, his struggles in the playoffs ultimately led to the Mavericks firing him in April of 2008. Detroit might also look to bring back former Pistons coach Doug Collins. If Detroit decides to hire a current NBA assistant, don't be surprised if Cleveland's John Kuester gets serious consideration. Kuester was a Detroit assistant on the 2004 championship squad, and has played a pivotal role on the Cavs' bench.

More...http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/06/pistons_head_coach_michael_cur.html#more

Mateen Cleaves
07-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Cavaliers assistant John Kuester to be named Pistons' next coach
Mlive.com (http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/07/john_kuester_top_coaching_targ.html)
by A. Sherrod Blakely
Tuesday July 07, 2009, 4:00 PM

AUBURN HILLS -- Cleveland Cavaliers assistant John Kuester will be named the Detroit Pistons' next head coach, although no formal announcement is expected today.

A league official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the multi-year contract between Kuester and Detroit had yet to be signed, said the 54-year-old met with Dumars for a couple hours on Monday, and the two talked again on Tuesday.

Kuester became Detroit's top target after Doug Collins pulled out of consideration last week, and negotiations with ex-Dallas Mavericks coach and current ESPN analyst Avery Johnson, fell through.

In an interview with his employer, ESPN, Johnson said, "I looked at it (the Pistons job), I was interested in it, but I was only interested in it if we could agree on a vision for the team going forward."

Kuester was an assistant under Larry Brown during the Pistons' 2004 title run. He also has been an assistant in Orlando, Philadelphia (under Brown), New Jersey and Boston.

But it wasn't until this past season did Kuester start to catch the eye of NBA teams looking to promote an assistant coach.

He was in charge of Cleveland's offense, which ranked among the league's top 10 in field goal percentage (sixth), 3-point field goal percentage (second) and fewest turnovers per game (sixth).

Even more significant, Kuester managed to successfully implement an offensive system that allowed others besides league MVP LeBron James to thrive offensively. NBA veteran Mo Williams was named to his first all-star team this past season after averaging a career-high 17.8 points per game.

Kuester will be the Pistons' sixth head coach in 10 years.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/07/john_kuester_top_coaching_targ.html

Mateen Cleaves
07-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Phoenix just bought out Ben Wallace, and that has some Detroit writers speculating about Big Ben returning to the Pistons:

Mlive.com: Former Pistons center Ben Wallace back to Detroit? (http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/07/ben_wallace_back_to_detroit.html#more)

Detroit News: Could Ben Wallace return to Pistons after buyout by Suns? (http://detnews.com/article/20090714/SPORTS0102/907140417/1127/sports0102/Could-Ben-Wallace-return-to-Pistons-after-buyout-by-Suns?)

But the Detroit Free Press says "Not so fast!": Source: Pistons not actively looking at Ben Wallace (http://www.freep.com/article/20090714/SPORTS03/90714073/1051/Source--Pistons-not-actively-looking-at-Ben-Wallace)

Intriguing. IF the Pistons can get Ben to sign for the veteran's minimum AND another young big FA for the 3M or so they have left, that wouldn't be a bad cap to the off-season, IMO.