View Full Version : Philippine Junior Women's Team

gameface_one
06-01-2008, 08:47 AM
In Huddle
RP junior cagebelles making waves

By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:05:00 06/01/2008

FORMER TALK ‘N Text assistant coach Bong Ramos was at the FEU gym last Friday morning to watch the last game of the RP junior women’s team in the 2008 Nike Summer Basketball League.

Bong said he deserves to be awarded a medal for a hundred percent attendance. He has not missed a single game nor a single practice session of the junior ladies.

“I have all the time to be a stage father, walang ginagawa eh,” said Bong whose 15-year-old daughter Camille, a St. Scholastica student, is in the team.

I told Bong I was there to see for myself how good the RP juniors were. Their record in the Nike League after the first round was 6-2 against senior lady varsity cagers. Their average winning margin over their opponents was almost 50 points (46.83).

Bong said they could have easily swept the series.

“The game against FEU was already a won game for them had they not missed a free throw in the end game. They lost to FEU by one point. Their other loss was to PCCr which was their very first game in a tournament. At that time they were just feeling their way in,” Bong related.

The RP juniors beat UAAP champion Ateneo, 67-28; WNCAA runner-up College of St. Benilde, 69-49; PUP, 82-36; San Beda Alabang, 84-12; and Feati, 77-24. That day, they won against La Salle Lipa, 87-36.

San Beda assistant coach Mike Advani, who caught the tailend of this game, suggested that the junior ladies play against male juniors to get a really good workout.

Alaska assistant manager CK Kanapi was animatedly cheering for her squad which was leading by about 20 points over Purefoods when a PBA staff approached her to report that her 8-month old Mazda 3 Hatchback had been burglarized.

CK’s car was parked only a few feet away from the entrance of the Ynares Center where last Friday’s PBA games were played.

CK rushed to her car. She was horrified to find that the window on the driver’s side had been smashed and all the valuables inside were gone.

“I almost broke into tears. My digi-cam, my iPod and two cell phones were all stolen. Where were the security guards?” demanded CK.

To compound her problems, her father Bobby was not around to come to her rescue. He was on a business trip abroad.

According to CK, witnesses reported seeing a man in a motorcycle hovering around CK’s car. However, no one could identify him.

The only bright spot for CK that Friday night was Alaska’s victory, which she said somehow made her feel a little better.

The young swimmers didn’t win a single gold, but Fighting Orcas coach Susan Papa said she’s happy with the two silver and four bronze medals the Fighting Orcas collected in the recently concluded Taiwan Cruise Swim Challenge held in Phuket, Thailand last week.

“The swimmers were really great. I’m proud of them,” said Susan of her wards who competed against 19 teams from all over the world.

Eleven-year-old Patrick Tiere from Brent School won a silver in the 100-meter butterfly and 2 bronze medals in the 50m freestyle and 50m butterfly, while 9-year-old Rafael Santiago of Southridge pocketed a silver in the 100m butterfly and a bronze in the 50m backstroke. Another 9-year-old, Hilario Davide IV, also of Southridge School, won a bronze medal in the 100m butterfly.

If you ask Grandmaster Eugene Torre for an assessment on the current state of Philippine chess, he will not hesitate to tell you that conditions are almost ideal.

“Of late, we produced three Grandmasters in Wesley So, Jayson Gonzales and Darwin Laylo, which is an achievement, and competitions here and abroad are continuous. Philippine chess is very much alive,” said Eugene.

But nothing in this world is perfect and Eugene admits to a small flaw.

“Yung dati pa rin. Hindi pa rin in perfect harmony ang mga officers.”

Sam Miguel
09-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Haydee Ong, what the f--- is your problem?

It is not enough you tried - unsuccessfully - to take UST coach Peque Tan's job a couple years ago.

It is not enough you took John Flores's job with Ateneo and promptly failed to even make the Final 4 as defending champions in Season 71.

It is not enough you maneuvered your way into Fritz Gaston's job.

Now you even want to take RP Girls Team coach Mon Celis's job too?

As I write this, over the weekend esteemed veteran sports writers will be coming out with a series of articles condemning Haydee Ong for her insatiable greed for women's basketball power.

Recently she called for a joint practice between the RP Womens Team and the RP Girls Team. What the hell kind of stupidity is that?

But that isn't the real punchline: She apparently declared that members of the Girls Team who fail to attend the joint practice will be removed from the team.

She is NOT the coach of the Girls Team; that would be Mon Celis. So why is she the one calling for a joint practice?

Is she holding on to any official document from the SBP stating that she has the power to call a joint practice?

Mon Celis has his program and his approach. In spite of evidence to the contrary, I would presume Haydee Ong has her own. Is she now authorized to substitute Celis's program and approach with her own program and approach?

The RP Girls Team has a tournament this November. Celis and his staff are the ONLY ones who should be preparing the team. Is Ong also going to take Celis's job now?

Ostensibly Ong apparently thinks Celis is not doing his job because the Girls Team only practices three times a week, whereas the Women's Team practices every day.

Some one should remind the almighty Ong that the players of the Girls Team are all still in school, and some are on UAAP or WNCAA teams. Their varsity teams already practice daily, then they have their studies to attend to, and now the all-knowing Ong wants daily practice for them as well.

Is Ong only looking for an excuse to justify her existence because her team does not have a tournament coming up?

Whatever the reason this is totally unheard of: does this mean Chot Reyes can demand that Franz Pumaren and the Youth Team do joint practices with the Men's Team?

What's worse, apparently team manager Cynthia Tiu has given her full blessings for Haydee Ong to do all this.

I wonder: Is Cynthia Tiu fully aware of the many and various implications of the things Ong is doing? She has apparently given her blessings to Ong, does she really know what it is she has blest?

Is she not perhaps simply being bewitched by Ong?

Is she not putting too much stock in their closeness even to the detriment of others, and more so, the detriment of women's basketball in our country in general?

Well, what do I know right?

Let's just way for the counter-assault of Mon Celis, because it's Hurricane Katrina on the horizon.

sajubeads
09-20-2008, 06:51 AM
(STRONG MEMO: Raymond Celis, RP Junior Women’s basketball coach, has received this reminder from national basketball executive director Noli Eala: “I observe that your feud with the team manager has gotten from bad to worse. I know you have your own thinking about this training issue. However, I’m afraid there are certain imperatives that you need to follow. One of them is the limitations imposed by your team manager and the program. I was hoping on your own you would find a way to accommodate the wishes of your sponsor but, to date, what has happened was more conflict and hardening of positions. This being the situation, I enjoin you one last time to accede to the program imposed by your manager unless you can come up with an acceptable compromise with Cynthia Tiu, also our sponsor, on this matter. Otherwise, much to my regret, I will have no recourse but to look for a solution that may not include you.”)

Lifted from Inquirer: http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080920-161753/

Mateen Cleaves
09-20-2008, 09:09 AM
(STRONG MEMO: Raymond Celis, RP Junior Women’s basketball coach, has received this reminder from national basketball executive director Noli Eala: “I observe that your feud with the team manager has gotten from bad to worse. I know you have your own thinking about this training issue. However, I’m afraid there are certain imperatives that you need to follow. One of them is the limitations imposed by your team manager and the program. I was hoping on your own you would find a way to accommodate the wishes of your sponsor but, to date, what has happened was more conflict and hardening of positions. This being the situation, I enjoin you one last time to accede to the program imposed by your manager unless you can come up with an acceptable compromise with Cynthia Tiu, also our sponsor, on this matter. Otherwise, much to my regret, I will have no recourse but to look for a solution that may not include you.”)

Lifted from Inquirer: http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080920-161753/

Let me get this straight... Cynthia Tiu is also the manager of the team? Is she also the owner?

From a basketball standpoint, I don't understand how or why a team manager would have greater say on the training of the national team than the head coach.

Noli Eala siding with the sponsor doesn't surprise me. It's par for the course with him.

typhoidterry
09-21-2008, 10:47 AM
These are some of the horror stories that has been circulating about the Women's Youth Team:

1. Haydee Ong wants the Youth Team to practice with the Older National team everday.

2. Ong called for practice last Thursday and warned all current youth team members that they will be cut from the
team if they don't show up for practice.

3. Anticipating a boycott of Ong's practices, she has been calling athletic Directors of schools or directly calling the
players to join the youth team. The ADs and the players are confused on who to deal with because Ong has
been telling all these people that she will coach the Youth Team.

4. The Rizal Memorial Coliseum, the practice venue of the Women's Basketball team has given Ong's women's
national team first priority in the use of the court. Ong's national team has been practicing for almost a year
now, using government resources, their patrons funds and monopolizing the venue despite the fact that their
team has no scheduled tournament to play in this year. Our Youth Team, on the other hand will play in the FIBA
Asia 18U tournament in Indonesia on November 3, 2008. The Youth has to scrounge for funds, earning
php2,000.00 a month (from the "generosity" of Mrs. Tiu) while the non competing team of Ong gets the best
support. The Youth team practices at Adamson Gym, care of RP Assistant Emilia Vega.

pachador
09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
the best way to expose this "baho" is to give press releases to all the newspapers.

KobeWanKenobi
09-21-2008, 11:28 AM
1. Haydee Ong wants the Youth Team to practice with the Older National team everday.

While I am not necessarily defending Haydee Ong's other actions, having the Junior Team practice against the Senior team is standard practice for year round NTs around the world. It is also standard practice by the former Yugoslavian Pro League teams where their younger age group teams practice against the Senior Pro team.

That's the reason why we see 18 year old pros in Europe is because the intra-Age group practices discover the gems and promote them to the senior team.

D_I_A
09-21-2008, 06:14 PM
to SBP officials, will you kindly fix this mess before it becomes more complicated...

sasakyan nanaman ito ng mga taga BAP!!!

Joescoundrel
09-23-2008, 10:14 AM

While I am not necessarily defending Haydee Ong's other actions, having the Junior Team practice against the Senior team is standard practice for year round NTs around the world. It is also standard practice by the former Yugoslavian Pro League teams where their younger age group teams practice against the Senior Pro team.

That's the reason why we see 18 year old pros in Europe is because the intra-Age group practices discover the gems and promote them to the senior team.

This is true.

This is how the likes of Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, Yao Ming and Pau Gasol became the great players they are. It seems only the US, with their NBA, do not do this as a matter of course.

However, in this country such is not the case, especially in women's basketball. This would not make much sense for the women's basketball program simply because the level of talent and the physical levels of the girls and the women are separated by a yawning gap.

Having them do joint practices especially this close to a major FIBA tournament would result to confusion. Imagine: the girls have been training together for a year under Mon Celis's system. Now with a FIBA tournament just a month or so away they will train jointly and learn a new system. Does that sound reasonable?

And if they lose what will be said? That they failed to grasp the system and that this proves they need to be more integrated into the system right fom the get-go? They had a system. Some one made them crash-course a new system. If they fail it would be expected.

On a more specific front, center Joan Leviste and two other players are presently seeing action in the UAAP Finals versus UP. You want those girls to practice with the women during the heat of the UAAP Finals? Leviste in particular gets major minutes as it is for FEU.

I say let Mon Celis and his staff get through their tournament with their system. Give them the chance to make it work. We have not even seen what it is and how it will turn out.

thadzonline
09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
to SBP officials, will you kindly fix this mess before it becomes more complicated...

sasakyan nanaman ito ng mga taga BAP!!!

I hope this will not be another case of "lapse in judgment" ;D

This makes me doubt the direction SBP is taking all the more. And then all of us will then again take this as just another isolated issue the SBP has to deal with because we all can forget about the RP Men's Youth Teams problems(each also treated as isolated case to name: Franz Pumaren, the DLSU Team B a.k.a. RPYT, the AdMU players refusal to join RPYT). We can as well forget the PBA circumventing its rules to accommodate Dillinger, Norwood, etc., or nevermind the greed of the PBA, PBL, UAAP, NCAA and other pseudo-commercial leagues guised as intercollegiate athletics because these "elite" leagues have the right to dictate the direction of Philippine basketball by virtue of their stature as the country's "best" leagues.

Don't get me wrong, SBP has done well with Toroman's signing and is doing well with some of their programs, but I do not agree with many of their actions.

As for the Women's juniors team, this is a clear case on how sometimes sponsors can make irrational demands at the expense of the program

cameronCrazy
10-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Can anyone post the names of the RP YOUTH Girls team?