PDA

View Full Version : RP BASKETBALL CHAOS

PilipinasFan
09-30-2008, 10:25 PM
RP basketball: Chaos is the name of the game

What, sir, is the secret behind the mad, mad following of basketball in the Philippines?

It’s not simple, everybody here has an idea of how the game should be played, I told the visiting freelance writer.

Is that all, sir?

Well, basketball is also treated like a religion around here.

But why is there chaos in many of the leagues?

People come to a single temple, OK, but they have conflicting styles of worship and different gods of their own.

That’s a sure formula for endless tribal conflict, said the interviewer.

Yes, Pinoy basketball thrives on turmoil and there’s no visible end to the madness.

Take this message from Philip Juico, former chair of the Philippine Sports Commission: “I read about the NCAA referees brouhaha. In my column tomorrow (today), I praised the NCAA officiating and how much better it is than UAAP’s.”

Before that, Noli Eala, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director, called the PBL commissioner to ask for fairness (in officiating) during the NCAA finals.

The call came after San Beda College, which has SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan as chief backer, lost to Jose Rizal University in Game 2 of the NCAA finals.

The deciding Game 3 was won by the Red Lions Monday.

Before the game, the PBL reconsidered its decision to pull out its referees from the championship series upon the request of top collegiate league officials who “expressed confidence and full support to the PBL and its pool (of) officials working the 84th NCAA season.”

On Monday, the PBL commissioner, after lending back his referees to the NCAA, also wrote Pangilinan to ask whether Eala was “acting as his emissary, on his own personal accord, or in his capacity as secretary general of the SBP” when he made the call to him.

“I swear our referees have been fair to all competing teams, because this is the backbone of our very existence,” the PBL official wrote Pangilinan. “Mr. Eala’s call bothered me because it seemed to undermine everything our league has been working on and also cast aspersions on our collective character.”

Did Noli Eala allow himself to be used as cheap hatchet man?

We may never know. But one thing is sure: it’s not an enviable job Eala has inherited as executive director of the SBP.

You see, before this NCAA brouhaha, Eala had raised the ax and issued a stern warning to coach Raymond Celis of the RP national squad to the FIBA-Asia Under-18 Women’s Championship set in Medan, Indonesia.

Eala advised Celis to toe the line and cooperate with the team manager.

A brief background provided by a colleague in the press box showed that:

Because not a single centavo was allotted to the Junior team out of the P70 million sponsorship pledged by Tao Corp. to RP Youth basketball, then SBP executive director Pato Gregorio sought the assistance of Cynthia Tiu, who was already burdened with the full sponsorship of the women’s Elite team, coached by her friend Haydee Ong.

Unfortunately, the juniors “were treated like second-class citizens.”

Tiu and Ong, as team manager and elite coach, respectively, decided on how the Junior squad should be handled. Tiu ordered that the juniors practice six times a week with the Elite team, with Haydee Ong taking over the reins, half of the time, and implementing her program.

However, coach Celis, the assistants and the players rejected the impositions of Tiu and Ong.

They made a stand in a letter sent to Eala on Sept. 20.

In that letter, Celis and players of RP Women’s Junior team jointly objected to the order of manager Tiu for the Elite and Junior teams to practice and train together six times a week.

“We all share the common goal of uplifting women’s basketball but we cannot, at this point, afford to risk whatever gains and inroads we have managed to build,” the objectors stated in the letter.

They mentioned that, on two occasions wherein the Junior team practiced or played with the Elite team, there “were no tangible gains and the joint training had, in fact, caused injuries to some junior players due to disparity in size and strength, not to mention the rough play of some Elite players.”

While both teams may share similar approaches with respect to defense, they noted that both teams differ in offense and strengths.

The protesters reiterated that they can have a better chance of winning given sufficient time to practice “on our own in order to focus and build on the system of cohesion and familiarity both on offense and defense.”

In closing, the coaches and players of the RP Women’s Junior team made the following proposals:

1) The Junior team to practice on its own three times a week;

2) The Junior team to have weight training at least two times a week;

3) The Junior team to have tune-up game and/or joint practice one to two times a week with the Elite team.

Noli Eala, caught in deeper chaos, has yet to make a reply.

thadzonline
09-30-2008, 11:24 PM
That call by Eala to Commish Chino is again another case of "lapse in judgment"...when will we ever learn?

the case of the Lady Juniors just shows how sponsors can become so irrational with their demands..

and that interview? looks like it had Graham Lim on one end..but this is something we cannot just ignore..

Schortsanitis
09-30-2008, 11:43 PM
(Chuckle) First of all, I think the threadstarter should provide the link where the article came from, to give credit to the person who wrote it.

Second, I have the funny feeling, that the next thing the author would say, would be that Philippine basketball would be better off with that corrupt politican Pechay and his henchman Graham Lim.

thadzonline
10-01-2008, 12:20 AM
found the link, it's a Recah Trinidad article:

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080930-163719/RP-basketball-Chaos-is-the-name-of-the-game

Mateen Cleaves
10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Second, I have the funny feeling, that the next thing the author would say, would be that Philippine basketball would be better off with that corrupt politican Pechay and his henchman Graham Lim.

I don't think so. Recah is Chino Trinidad's father. I suspect that they're on the same page as far as the BAP goes.

That call by Eala to Commish Chino is again another case of "lapse in judgment"...when will we ever learn?

the case of the Lady Juniors just shows how sponsors can become so irrational with their demands..

and that interview? looks like it had Graham Lim on one end..but this is something we cannot just ignore..

Agree. Noli Eala is not doing the SBP any favors by acting more BAP-like than the BAP itself. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that there's so little discussion on gameface about Eala's attempt to influence the NCAA finals. First, of all, Chino Trinidad had no direct control over the officiating -- other than providing the manpower. Supervision of NCAA officiating was Joe Lipa's job. By most accounts, officiating in the NCAA this season -- with an emphasis on preserving the smooth flow and pace of gameplay -- had been spot on. So, what was SBP's business in all this?

More importantly, SBP had/has many more important things to take care of. Including fixing the mess with the national girls team. From Pato to Eala, my personal opinion is that SBP has been too clumsy and overbearing in trying to assert "control" over the member leagues. Instead of building partherships, they're busy establishing territories. In other words, starting to do exactly what BAP used to do.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that there hasn't been that much discussion about this here in gameface.

I would like nothing more than to see Graham Lim and company get kicked out -- with finality, as they say. Nevertheless, I don't think MVP and his group should be immune to criticism as well. Noli Eala is his second, hand-picked Executive Director. Just like the first one, this appointment is starting to look like another dud to me.

The_Big_Cat
10-01-2008, 09:40 AM
At the end of the day, magkakasama ang mga yan. Magkakaibigan ang mga yan outside of their offices.
Misunderstanding lang yan.

PilipinasFan
10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
now im really confused., just like the bap, problems are beginning to show up for the sbp., damn., when shall we have order in philippine basketball.,

D_I_A
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM
More importantly, SBP had/has many more important things to take care of. Including fixing the mess with the national girls team. From Pato to Eala, my personal opinion is that SBP has been too clumsy and overbearing in trying to assert "control" over the member leagues. Instead of building partherships, they're busy establishing territories. In other words, starting to do exactly what BAP used to do.

you can't prevent it..it's all turf wars all along.. SBP needs every support it could get against the SBP destabilizers.

nagiisa lang si EALA, that's why we really have to be patient, supportive and maybe if the SBP is listening, they should start delegating functions from trusted people or appoint more people that could help SBP's MVP and EALA

Support the SBP!!!

Down with the BAP!!!

Deport Graham Lim Now!!!

Long Live Philippine Basketball!!!

thadzonline
10-01-2008, 07:53 PM
at the very least(yan if si Eala talaga ang tumawag when he already denied that.."Hello Chino?"-->does it ring a bell?, hmm yung dati commissioner, ngayon commissioner din ;D), Eala should not allow himself to be uased as pawn by the powers-that-be

glock23
10-01-2008, 10:27 PM
at the very least(yan if si Eala talaga ang tumawag when he already denied that.."Hello Chino?"-->does it ring a bell?, hmm yung dati commissioner, ngayon commissioner din ;D), Eala should not allow himself to be uased as pawn by the powers-that-be

Spot on!!! obvious ba kung sino talaga ang tumawag. :D

Schortsanitis
10-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Everyone is assuming that the PBL refs' calls were valid, and that Eala called to "influence" them to give better calls for SBC.

Let's not forget, that both JRU and SBC complained about the quality of the officiating. Now Chino, instead of looking if the complaints had merit, instead blew his top, and started acting defensively.

With both sides complaining, it could be that Noli was right in highligting to Chino the importance of having a fair officiating in such an important basketball series.

Mateen Cleaves
10-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Teams ALWAYS complain about the officiating. The main point is that Eala was meddling in an affair (!!!) that wasn't his business to begin with.

pio_valenz
10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Everyone is assuming that the PBL refs' calls were valid, and that Eala called to "influence" them to give better calls for SBC.

Let's not forget, that both JRU and SBC complained about the quality of the officiating.* Now Chino, instead of looking if the complaints had merit, instead blew his top, and started acting defensively.*

With both sides complaining, it could be that Noli was right in highligting to Chino the importance of having a fair officiating in such an important basketball series.

IMHO it wasn't his call to make. First of all, like Mateen pointed out, Chino merely supplies the referees to the NCAA. It's Joe Lipa who handles the officials' pool in the NCAA. Second, and more importantly, why is the SBP concerning itself with this? And by what basis can Eala say that the officiating was bad?

bchoter
10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that there hasn't been that much discussion about this here in gameface.

I would like nothing more than to see Graham Lim and company get kicked out -- with finality, as they say. Nevertheless, I don't think MVP and his group should be immune to criticism as well. Noli Eala is his second, hand-picked Executive Director. Just like the first one, this appointment is starting to look like another dud to me.
Thadz has touched on this in another thread here. This has been largely ignored because of the desire to get rid of the common evil.

tigerman
10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Speaking of the controversial phone call, Eala vehemently denied it.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

thadzonline
10-04-2008, 11:39 PM
I hope its not a high ranking SBP official who did call..

D_I_A
10-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Imho, it's just a matter of turf wars and parochial league egos that is being challenge by the SBP

the SBP has started to expand its clout over these concern leagues.

but if it really needs to solidify its ranks SBP needs to do more than implicating itself from issues of impropriety plaguing the sport.

i'm still optimistic SBP can hurdle these obstacles. hopefully SBP will be more open, flexible and decisive on its moves.

thadzonline
10-05-2008, 06:16 PM
I guess, SBP should only involve itself with internal issues like these when and only when the case is brought officially to their attention. They should not concern themselves with micromanaging each league