PDA

View Full Version : CeSAFI Tells Manila Scouts to Stay Away

amdgc82
09-26-2008, 06:13 AM
Friday, September 26, 2008
Scouts told: Stay away
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE news about the talents of the basketball players of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc (Cesafi) has traveled far and wide that it caught the attention of coaches and talent scouts from Manila.

This might flatter the players, but the coaches and the Cesafi officials aren’t amused. Come Sunday, in Game 2 of the best-of-three semifinals series of the Cesafi, a huge banner will greet the scouts—not to welcome them—but banning their entrance.

“We will be putting up signs that ask them to leave unless they respect our league and leave our players alone,” said Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy.

This stemmed after they learned than a group of coaches from a school of the Universities Amateur Athletic Association of the Philippines announced they were coming over to talk University of Cebu’s Junmar Fajardo to joining their team in Manila.

Fajardo is UC’s prized center, who hails from the town of Pinamungajan. Fajardo, who stands 6-foot-9, has played an impressive season and has kept UC alive in the Cesafi.

According to Tiukinhoy, these scouts come armed with promises and offers that are sometimes hard for athletes to say no to.

This irked some of the officials of UC, including basketball coordinator lawyer Baldomero Estenzo.

“What will happen to our league if we no longer have our good players? Will the crowd still want to see our games if there are no more good players?” Estenzo said.

Tiukinhoy added that while Cesafi is starting to become a very competitive league, it was not easy for the teams to actually come up with a lineup.

Offers

“It is hard to look for talents but our schools have made some strong roster. And after all the work our schools have put in and after all the work the coaches have done to improve these players, these Manila teams just swipe them away from us with these offers?” Tiukinhoy added.

Tiukinhoy said that they are not trying to be selfish but merely trying to protect the league and the players. Tiukinhoy also assures the players that even if they are based in Cebu, there will still be a chance for them to make it big nationally.

An example is Dondon Hontiveros, who played for Don Bosco College in high school before transferring to UC.

“We just hope that they allow our players to at least graduate from their four-year courses before trying to lure them over to their side,” said. (MCB)

salsa caballero
09-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Any idea which UAAP school this is? Scanning the UAAP landscape, I am somewhat inclined to believe that it is either a Quezon City school in need of a big man OR a Manila school with a penchant for picking up outstanding provincial players. My next guess would be another Manila school which is poised to undergo a major build-up.

a_ron
09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
They did it na with two of USC player Cabagnot and Pacheco..Cabagnot join the tamaraws while Pacheco with the Falcons

D_I_A
09-26-2008, 11:50 PM
They did it na with two of USC player Cabagnot and Pacheco..Cabagnot join the tamaraws while Pacheco with the Falcons

this is what i agree on the CESAFI, making a stand on a valid case but not against the SBP and rejoining the BAP!!!

Down with the BAP!!! >:( >:( >:(

pachador
09-27-2008, 01:11 AM
may the best school win ! and conversely, may the best player win !. if your good they'll run after you, and that applies both to schools and players.

this is what i agree on the CESAFI, making a stand on a valid case but not against the SBP and rejoining the BAP!!!

Down with the BAP!!! >:( >:( >:(

amdgc82
09-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Saturday, September 27, 2008
‘Let players choose’
www.sunstar.com.ph

GIVE the players the right to choose.

This was the answer of two coaches of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) in reaction to the league commissioner’s statement in banning scouts from watching the Cebu Coliseum for Game 2 of the best-of-three semifinals series this Sunday.

Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy said the other day they will not let Manila teams ruin the competitiveness of the
league, which the schools and the teams have worked hard to build up.

However, coaches feel differently.

“Let us leave it to the players to decide which option is best for them,” said University of San Carlos coach Mike Reyes.

Reyes, who used to be based in Manila, admitted that he has friends who are coaches from the Philippine Basketball League who are planning on coming over this Sunday.

“It does not do anyone harm. They wanted to come over to observe our players. They were already planning on coming over and after that announcement, paano na ‘yan?” Reyes said.

Reyes said that as a coach, he cannot prevent the players from seeking greener pastures. “We (coaches) are here to guide them what decision is best for them. We cannot dictate them on what to do. This is a free country,” Reyes said.

Reyes admitted that USC’s Fil-Aussie wingman Emel Rowe, has been eyed by several scouts. USC women’s team lost a player, Juvelyn Andaya who was recurited by the University of Sto. Tomas after facing them in the national Prisaa.

Important

“I think it is more important to make sure that the players will get somewhere and if another school and league can offer that, then why reject that chance?” Reyes said.

For University of the Visayas, which has the most talented pool of players in Cebu, head coach Elmer Boy Cabahug also mirrored Reyes’ sentiment.

“I don’t think I can ever deny my players to turn their backs on an opportunity,” said Cabahug. “In basketball, it is all about timing and striking at the right moment to make your crack into the big leagues. When an opportunity knocks, you can’t tell your players not to consider it.”

Like Reyes, Cabahug feels that it is his responsibility to guide his players to make the right choice, but, still, the decision will still be the players’.

Promises

“I am sure that these people coming in with a lot of promises also make sure that they have offers that are better than what the Cebu schools have,” Cabahug said.

Cabahug added that he finds it a form of flattery when other people notice his players. “It goes out to show that you have done your part as a coach to make your players good enough to get noticed. And it is also a testament that you have done your job well. So if you are confident enough, you have to expect scouts to come looking for your players,” Cabahug said.

Tiukinhoy, however, defended his statement. “I can see where the coaches are coming from. But as a commissioner, I speak in behalf of the league. We haven’t even settled the issue on piracy inside the Cesafi. Now, we have to deal with those outsiders, who want to swipe our talents?” Tiukinhoy said.

He added that he was tasked to pen the rules that will finally curb the issue on piracy of players within the Cesafi. (MCB)

Schortsanitis
09-27-2008, 01:23 PM
'G@go talaga yang bayarang Tiukhinoy na iyan, kahit kelan. Aba, dapat i ban din ang mga CESAFI scouts sa labas ng Cebu, kung ganun.'

D_I_A
09-27-2008, 11:56 PM
ganun talaga pag bayaran at madaling masilaw sa suhol at pangako.. ayaw niyang suhulan ang players nila sa CESAFI, kaso binenta naman ang CESAFI sa BAP..which one is more fallacious dudes?

DOWN WITH THE BAP!!!

DEPORT GRAHAM LIM NOW!!!

SUPPORT THE SBP!!!

bchoter
09-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Maybe the Commish should have been more specific: CeSAFI Tells Manila Scouts to Stay Away from UC since he seem close with the school and its management

D_I_A
09-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Maybe the Commish should have been more specific: CeSAFI Tells Manila Scouts to Stay Away from UC since he seem close with the school and its management

hahaha!

CESAFI commish has committed
reductionism at it's gravest abuse!!!

Down with the BAP!!!

Deport Graham Lim Now!!!

Support the SBP!!!

Long Live Philippine Basketball!!!

ankle breaker
09-29-2008, 09:32 PM
i think it's time for the cesafi board to reconsider their decision and accept the resignition of tuikinhoy. i think he's not doing good as a commish in CESAFI. CESAFI should hire mon fernandez or somebody else who knows how to run basketball league not only an old new coliseum.

tamarawz_14
09-29-2008, 09:41 PM
let the players decide selfish naman nung commisioner na yun..... baka FEU scouts yung tinutukoy nung commisioner na yun..hahahaha

D_I_A
09-29-2008, 10:38 PM
pinapabantayan lang siguro ng mga amo nya sa BAP yung mga players ng CESAFI para makapagbuo sila ng sarili nilang Pseudo-RP Team..

hmmmm...

Down with the BAP!!!

Deport Graham Lim Now!!!

Support the SBP!!!

amdgc82
10-06-2008, 05:22 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/10/06/sports/tiukinhoy.dream.clash.between.cesafi.and.manila.te ams.not.likely.html

Meanwhile, Tiukinhoy turned back on an earlier threat to ban any coaches trying to scout Cesafi players. Aside from Black, another famous face in the crowd yesterday was Hapee head coach Jun Noel.

“We have to make an exception because they were not looking to pull out our players. They told us beforehand of their intention, which was to observe the talents,” Tiukinhoy said.

Black scouted for graduating seniors from the high school division, while Noel was looking at graduating college players.

a_ron
10-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Tiukinhoy one of a kind.......

thadzonline
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
o, si Black is setting his eyes on Marty John Pearce..nasaan na yung maingay dati? Parang nakita ko pa nga siya when he went sa may dugout area after the game. Nag-usap kaya sila?

Ang alam ko din, 2 subjects lang ang ipinasa ni Pearce sa 1st grading, TLE tsaka EPP. Paano yan makakapag-Ateneo?

bchoter
10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Selective ban :D

I'm sure UC will give players who want to leave for Manila a very hard time securing their release.

ankle breaker
10-06-2008, 11:33 PM
at least pearce can have at least 2 years to sit out and correct his academic failures. he needs to pass the entrance exam in ateneo though.

thadzonline
10-07-2008, 08:48 AM
sit out 2 years? I hope he doesn't end up like Zach Estoesta though

ankle breaker
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
sit out 2 years? I hope he doesn't end up like Zach Estoesta though

yeah, one of the promising big men in cebu high school out of USC who was recruited by ateneo but never made it to team A. as of this date, no other details is shown as to what happened to estoesta and his whereabouts. though, I can see in pearce, another jason castro in the making. high flying, fearless and determined.

Ghostrider
10-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Zach made it to the Ateneo team A for one season only.

He's now a certified SAP engineer and earning quite well.* There attempts to pirate him and several of his co-employees by local and overseas companies but he has chosen to remain with his current employ.

I believe that they're handling accounting based software for MNCs based abroad and are earning top dollar rate while spending in pesos. If I'm not mistaken, his current salary dwarfs PBL player rates and is less stressful on the knees.

All in all, I don't think he has any regrets on his chosen career path.

thadzonline
10-13-2008, 12:06 PM
well, who wouldn't want an Ateneo diploma? He was an A student in high school as well

salsa caballero
10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
^ Exactly -- and it's cases like Zach's that we continually harp on to prospective recruits. Not everyone turns out into an Enrico Villanueva, sure. BUT, graduating with an Ateneo degree gives one an edge in the workplace, all things being equal. That said, I hope all the prospective recruits look to enroll at a school that provides a view to a future beyond basketball as well.

thadzonline
10-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Minsan kasi, depende rin sa priorities. Kung education, no contest, pero some other schools plead there case in terms of basketball. Sa akin naman, as long as masaya in the end, ok lang.

salsa caballero
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Agreed. It's the "masaya in the end" part that counts. We all just need to whisper to the recruits that the close of one's basketball days does not equate to "the end" of the rest of one's life. The stories of a couple ex-pro tricycle drivers come to mind...

D_I_A
10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Tiukinhoy one of a kind.......

papampam ba? parang BAP?

Down with the BAP!!!

sir_hodge
10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Aba, dapat i ban din ang mga CESAFI scouts sa labas ng Cebu, kung ganun.'

I would like to ask CESAFI this question... Are they sure that their member teams never tried to scout from other Visayan provinces to play for their schools? I agree with Cabahug, let the players go where they want to.

Out_Of_The_Blue
10-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Conversely, what's stopping the CESAFI schools to recruit players from Manila?

In the end, tama sila Cabahug, nasa decision na ng players yan.

thadzonline
10-16-2008, 08:45 AM
some players in the CeSAFI actually once played sa NCR schools. Sam Hermosa of USC played for PCU, Ricmar Perturbos of Don Bosco was once part of the UPHDS Altas, Don Bosco's Chris Dela Rama I believe played for the EAC generals, USJ-R's Mannie Gabas went to Las Piñas College for a year, ex-JRU Jefferson Pria will be suiting up for SWU next season, and USJ-R's Jan Malinao once studied sa UP Diliman(although as a student, I'm not sure if he was in Team B). Jabby Bautista of USC also played high schol ball at UPIS. And I suppose UV beat San Beda to the Greg Slaughter draw if rumors were true.

bleachertalk
10-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Funny how the CESAFI has suddenly become quiet in the off-season, but word is that it's been a very "busy" off-season for those who have already made a decision to leave their CESAFI home teams for greener pastures.....official words should be coming out soon....

thadzonline
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
...and those who have started building for the battles ahead ;D