PDA

View Full Version : Guiao as RP National Team Coach

D_I_A
09-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Alright dudes and dudettes while some of us are celebrating or grieving because of the Ateneo-La Salle Match
PBA Kume Barrios has appointed a new RP Men's Team Coach.

Phil Star Sports
Guiao to call shots for RP five
By Nelson Beltran
Friday, September 26, 2008

Roseller “Yeng” Guiao, the most consistent top performing coach in the pro league the last few years, has been tapped to call the shots for the Philippine team competing in the FIBA-Asia men’s championship next year.

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios said he gave in to the choice of the overwhelming majority of the Philippine sports community in naming Guiao the coach of the RP squad embarking on a mission to make the world stage in 2010.

Guiao was informed by the league commissioner of his appointment Wednesday night.

“This is a great honor and a privilege dreamed of by all the coaches not only in the PBA but the whole country. I consider this greater than winning a championship. There’s no greater achievement than to represent your country in your chosen field,” said Guiao, 49, owner of five PBA championships.

“I’m nervous at this point because I know the task is daunting, the responsibility great. I accept it wholeheartedly. It’s a big decision by the commissioner. I don’t want to disappoint him and the country in general in terms of putting up a good performance,” Guiao added.

After his formal appointment, Guiao immediately announced he’s bringing with him his Red Bull deputies Gee Abanilla and Rhoel Nadurata in the team.

He said his immediate plan is to meet with the other PBA coaches to ask for their support and cooperation.

He wondered if the league commissioner can bring together all the former RP coaches — Sonny Jaworski, Norman Black, Tim Cone, Jong Uichico and Chot Reyes — to be his advisory group.

“That’s a power group if you’ve ever seen one. If they can be with me to brainstorm and put together their thoughts that would be a big help. It would fill the gap when I was long out of the international play,” said Guiao, assistant of coach Derrick Pumaren in the ABC (now FIBA-Asia), SEA Games and Jones Cup in the late 80s.

Another immediate plan for Guiao is a meeting with the league commissioner and his staff to talk about the details in setting up the structures of the program.

“Offhand, I don’t want a prolonged tryout. It’s a waste of time because we know more or less who can play for the team. I’ll choose 15 guys who are willing to serve the country and make the sacrifice,” said Guiao.

“I’m looking at a quick running team which can defend and shoot well from the outside. The players will have to understand that this is a team of superstars — probably the best in the PBA — and they have to forget their egos for the greater goal of the team,” Guiao added.

He’s thinking of looking for a tall naturalized player to reinforce the team.

“Realistically, it’s a difficult task. I think we have the talent to compete but one thing that concerns me is our size. The best way to address this concern is to get a naturalized player. We can have a Serbian or Phil Jackson as a coach but if we’re to play a seven-footer and defend him with a 6-foot-5, that’s a Herculean task,” said Guiao.

“Naturalization is acceptable. If we’re to compete, we have to follow that norm. All we need is one or two big guys. We have the talents in all positions. We just have to match up at center position,” he added.

A fiery mentor, Guiao said he’s willing to make his own adjustments.

“I know my limitations. I agree that there has to be some adjustments in dealing with players in the national level. It’s different dealing with your own players. I would adjust to give the players some room to be themselves, but would also ask leeway for me to be myself,” Guiao said.

Daily Tribune

Barrios pick: Guiao named RP 5 coach

By Julius Manicad

09/26/2008

Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios yesterday tapped Red Bull mentor Joseller “Yeng” Guiao to steer the national squad in the regional qualifier for the 2010 Fiba World Championship.

The BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP), meanwhile, doesn’t see any obstacle in the possible designation of Serbian coach Rajko Toroman to handle the RP team in future international competitions.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said he had already talked with Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines president Chito Narvasa, who promised he won’t contest the probable hiring of Toroman as long as he follows the guidelines set by BCAP during the time of former Shell mentor John Moran.

Narvasa said he doesn’t oppose the possible hiring of Toroman, but he should present his credentials and basketball program. He should also not take away the opportunities from the local coaches.

Toroman steered the Iranian national squad to the Fiba Asia Cup, Fiba-Asia and to an 11th place finish in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He also oversaw the preparation of Iran’s juniors squad, which recently bagged the Asian crown.

Barrios’ announcement did not come as a surprise in the basketball circle as many believed he is the best person to be given the tough duty of bringing the country back to the world basketball map.

The 49-year-old Guiao was also given the blanket authority that includes the crafting of a long-term program, selection of players, members of the coaching staff, international tournaments, staff and utility, gymnasium and even an office in the PBA building in Libis, Quezon City.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

kapaan blues nanaman..back to square one..

pano kaya yung long term plan na yun lalo na pag kinuha pa si Toroman? so by 2009 matatapos yung agreement ng SBP with the PBA, then saka papasok yung iti-train ni Toroman na Youth Team..so therefore, nasayang lang yung long term plan ulit ng PBA na brainchild ni Yeng. Unless, Toroman will adopt Coach Yeng's program which i seriously doubt. Di ko malaman kung sugal ito ng PBA kume or part ng compromise para makuha si Toroman as foreign coach at manahimik ang BCAP pag si Yeng ang i-appoint na National Coach

pansin ko lang din parang may aversion agad si Yeng about hiring a foreign coach ha?

insulares
09-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Alright dudes and dudettes while some of us are celebrating or grieving because of the Ateneo-La Salle Match
PBA Kume Barrios has appointed a new RP Men's Team Coach.

..so therefore, nasayang lang yung long term plan ulit ng PBA na brainchild ni Yeng. Unless, Toroman will adopt Coach Yeng's program which i seriously doubt. Di ko malaman kung sugal ito ng PBA kume or part ng compromise para makuha si Toroman as foreign coach at manahimik ang BCAP pag si Yeng ang i-appoint na National Coach

pansin ko lang din parang may aversion agad si Yeng about hiring a foreign coach ha?

Celebrating, definitely!!!* ;D

Tungkol naman sa pagpili ni ginoong Joseller Guiao bilang coach ng PBA-backed RP Team, malinaw ang PBA sa pagsabi nila na hanggang sa torneong 2010 Worlds sa Istanbul (kung mag-medalya sila sa 2009 FIBA-Asia qualifiers) lamang ang kanilang commitment.* Beyond 2010, the PBA has said that the SBP (of which the PBA is a member of) has to come up with a long-term program that does not necessarily involve pro players.* Which is why the 2010 Asiad is already earmarked for the SBP long-term program, and not the PBA (think exit strategy).

Sa madaling salita, walang masasayang na long-term program si Guiao/PBA dahilan sa sila ay pang- Band Aid lamang habang hinihintay ang paglabas ng totohanang programa ng SBP (na batay sa NCC program nuong 1980's).* If the NCC-type team is established early on, then two simultaneous RP Teams will be developing in parallel and can help each other out with training...not exactly ideal, but not bad at all given the circumstances.

I was actually stunned that patriot Guiao said he's open to naturalization.* So now I'm hoping he'll come around and accept a guy with way more international experience to coach the long-term program of Team Pilipinas (it may just so happen that this guy is a foreigner).

So let's all support Yeng Guiao, architect of the short-term program of Team Pilipinas.* And let's also support whoever is appointed to be the long-term maestro of Philippine basketball regardless of his citizenship.

D_I_A
09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Manila Standard Today
9/27/2008

Guiao: We need Serbian center

By Rey Joble

NEWLY appointed national team coach Yeng Guiao is open to the idea of sharing his thoughts with Rajko Toroman, the Serbian mentor being considered to handle the RP team in the 2011 Olympic qualifying tournament by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

But the fiery Red Bull bench tactician needs to address his squad’s immediate need at this time.

“We need a big guy and our vision right now is the 2009 FIBA Asia tournament,” Guiao told Standard Today. “Without showing disrespect to Rajko, we need a Serbian center more now, than a Serbian coach.”

Guiao is currently in Cebu City, where his Red Bull Barakos squad faces the M. Lhuillier team in an exhibition game as part of its preparation in the coming 2008-2009 Philippine Basketball Association season.

Asked about his vision on the setup of the national team, Guiao thinks majority of the players who played for the RP team in the previous FIBA Asia tournament will still carry the Philippine colors in the next major Asian international tilt.

“I think around 70 percent of them will still be there,” said Guiao. “But we need a mixture of talent and utility players, who can do the dirty jobs for the team.”

Among the talents, Guiao mentioned two-time Most Valuable Player Willie Miller, former MVP James Yap and last year’s Most Improved Player Cyrus Baguio and Ryan Reyes as the players who might be given a shot of earning a spot in the RP team.

“Willie is a talented player, who was left out at the last minute. James had to fight it out for the position that is too crowded, while Cyrus only blossomed as a superstar recently,” said Guiao.

Guiao also gave special mention on Sonny Thoss as one of the most important big men in the PBA today.

“He is the only player so far who has a solid post move,” said Guiao. “There are several tall players in the PBA, who play fronting the basket, but Sonny has a strong inside game.”

Noted for his toughness, Guiao said utility players will also play a crucial role on the team.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

good luck kay coach yeng..

coreytaylor
09-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Barrios: No coaching conflict
By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080928-163329/Barrios-No-coaching-conflict

YENG GUIAO’S APPOINTMENT as head coach of the PBA-backed national five and the pursuit by the Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas of a Serbian to mentor a separate RP team will not conflict in any way because both will have separate mandates.

This, commissioner Sonny Barrios yesterday told the Inquirer yesterday, adding that the PBA “has no commitment” to lend players to any other national team that will not be coached by the fiery Red Bull task master Guiao.

“That’s as far as I can recall our conversation (with the SBP),” Barrios said over the phone when asked if the PBA’s obligation to help the SBP includes sending players to international meets outside of the Fiba-Asia qualifying and the World Championships.

“Our commitment is to help the country make the World Championships,” he added. “And for the team that would try to go there to be coached by a [PBA-appointed personality].”

Barrios was asked to clarify the issue since the SBP is hotly pursuing Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, who steered Iran to the Fiba-Asia championship in Tokushima last year before guiding that same squad to an 11th place finish in the Beijing Olympics last month.

If Toroman signs up with the SBP, he would be tasked to prepare a team that could hopefully make it to the next Olympics, slated in London in 2012. His first tournament, if ever, would be the Southeast Asian Games scheduled late next year in Laos.

Barrios said that the PBA has no obligation to the SBP if and when Toroman decides that he wants players coming from the league who are not included in the pool, or team, that Guiao will come up with.

Meanwhile, Red Bull team owner George Chua said he is proud of the appointment of Guiao as national team coach.
“It’s long overdue. He deserves it and we’re proud and happy,” said Chua.

“It’s a big sacrifice on our part knowing that Yeng (Guiao) may not be able to devote his full time to our team, but we’re nevertheless elated because he’s going to perform his job in the interest of Philippine basketball,” noted Chua.

Chua credited Guiao as the “architect of the Red Bull’s ... rise in the PBA.”

D_I_A
09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Daily Tribune

Yeng to pluck aces from last RP team

09/30/2008

With not much time in his hands, national coach Yeng Guiao plans to pick the core of his team from the last squad that sought, but failed, to clinch a berth in the recent Beijing Olympics.

Guiao sees no problem in retaining majority of the team, and is in fact leaning towards calling the team to a meeting soon.

“We want our team to be cohesive and with enough chemistry by the time of our full practices in July and August. In order for us to achieve that target, magkakaroon na agad ng identification on the 15 to 18 guys we want to be on our team and have our lineup ready by the end of the year,” Guiao said.

“After that, magkakaroon na ng mga meetings and irregular practices, for bonding purposes, kahit ongoing pa ang (PBA) season,” he added.

After forming the core, Guiao said his next job is to seek the best players to shine in the coming PBA season.

“By that time kasi, we will already have a clear idea, more or less, kung sino ang mga serious contenders for the team,” he explained.

Guiao has named Gee Abanilla and Roehl Nadurata as his assistants have started a review of the last RP Team that took part and finished ninth in last year’s Fiba-Asia championship in Tokushima, Japan.

CrossOver
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Red Bull-ish

The Red Bull mentality.

Expectedly, that’s the approach coach Yeng Guiao wants to apply in his soon-to- be-formed RP men’s basketball team.

For years, the Barakos have thrived behind a system of tough defense and sound offense, a philosophy so successful that the franchise remained competitive even with the departure of some of its top stars.

Just last season, Guiao steered the team to a pair of third place finishes in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) behind a team mostly made up of role players.

“We employ a system that for years we feel, we have proven to bring out the best in some of the players whom we’ve had in our team. Expectedly, we’ll try to apply the same system in the national team,” said Guiao.

The fiery mentor plans to name outright the 15 players who will comprise the national squad tasked to represent the country in the 2009 FIBA-Asia Men’s Basketball Championship.

The meet serves as the qualifier for the 2010 World Men’s Basketball Championship in Istanbul, Turkey.

Guiao admitted he already had some names in mind even before he was named to the post by PBA commissioner Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios last week.

“Naglalaro na sa isip ko yun nung alam kong may chance (to be the national coach), he said.

“What we would like is a quick, running team. We would like a team that works hard and defends well. We would like a team that shoots the ball well from the outside,” Guiao stressed when asked what basically the kind of players he likes to suit up for the national squad.

Coca-Cola big man Asi Taulava was the first former national player to voluntarily offer himself for the RP squad if and when Guiao would tap his services again.

Guiao was quick to lay down his cards that like with Red Bull, he will condone any superstar mind-set any players will bring to the national squad, be they the best in the PBA at the moment.

“We hope the players will understand that this is a team of superstars, this is a selection of the best players in the PBA and that they will surrender their egos to the greater goal of the team itself,” said the Red Bull mentor, also current vice-governor of Pampanga.

“So they will have to make sacrifices, maybe in terms of not getting as much playing time as they usually does in their regular teams, maybe in the role playing that they will have to do. All of these are the character of the teams that I coached. And if they’re willing to make that personal sacrifice, then I think we can have a good team in 2009.”

Known for his volatile temper, Guiao also said he’ll be making his own sacrifices by adjusting himself to his players.

“I will also ask them to give me some leeway so I can also be myself. So it’s a give and take thing. I will make the adjustment and I hope they will also make the adjustment. So we’re all going to make sacrifices anyway. One sacrifice that we have to make is to live with the character and personalities of each one,” a smiling Guiao said.

PBA News (http://pbanews.blogspot.com/2008/09/red-bull-ish.html)

CrossOver
10-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Guiao questions Toroman’s role in RP caging
By Abac Cordero

Philippine basketball may need a Serbian seven-footer but not a Serbian coach.

Yeng Guiao, considered as the finest local coach today, yesterday questioned the appointment of Serbian Rajko Toroman as consultant/project director of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

Toroman, who helped Iran win the FIBA Asia championship this year, has accepted the SBP offer for him to help chart the future of Philippine basketball, particularly in the international arena, in the next three years.

Guiao, former president of the Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines, and head coach of Red Bull in the PBA, would like to know the extent of Toroman’s powers.

Guiao said if Toroman eventually ends up calling the shots for the team then it may be a “legal problem.”

“It has to be really put in clear language if he is a coach, consultant or project director. Because if he will bring in the players and preside over practices then it’s a mere play of words,” said Guiao during the PSA Forum at Shakey’s UN Avenue.

“We have nothing personal against him but the BCAP, of which I am the former president, was formed to protect the interest of the local coaches. And part of that is being given the chance to coach the national team,” said Guiao who was recently appointed head coach of the national team to be formed and backed by the PBA.

He believes that a Filipino coach can do what Toroman can do.

“But if he has the technology or the system where the six-footers can beat the seven-footers and we don’t know it then I’ll carry his bag. That’s exactly what I mean. We have to prove that, ‘Pinoy tabi ka muna because undoubtedly mas-magaling ito,’” Guiao said.

A few years ago, the BCAP, now under Chito Narvasa, won a court case that prevented foreigners like John Moran, Bill Bayno and Paul Woolpert from coaching in the PBA.

“Yes, that’s our position. We won that court case against the foreign coaches and we’d like the ruling to stay,” said Narvasa, also a former coach in the PBA.

“In those instances they were taking away a coaching job only in a club. Now they’re taking away a coaching job in a national team. Mas serious na usapan ito. If you want to take that chance away from a Filipino coach you must have a very good reason,” said Guiao, stressing that what RP needs is to naturalize one or two seven-footers.

Guiao said that in past performances of the national team overseas, coaching was less of our problem, but the lack of size and international exposure.

“We are coaches and he is a coach, and we were not consulted on this matter and they are all set to sign the contract. It’s not just a technical issue. It’s an emotional issue,” said Guiao.

Toroman also graced the forum and had just left with SBP executive director Noli Eala when Guiao was asked to comment on the appointment of the Serbian national by the SBP.

Eala said Tomoran is here to stay for three years to help in the development of RP basketball aimed at giving the country a slot in the 2012 London Olympics.

Eala did not say that Toroman will coach the RP team in the future.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080930154)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach Yeng relax ka lang, ilang dekada na ba hindi nakakapasok ang RP sa World Competition? Si Toroman napag champion niya ang Iran noong 2007 FIBA Asia Sr. Basketball Championship na na qualified din sa Beijing Olympics eh dati nilalampaso lang natin. Tama ka maraming magagaling na coach sa atin pero most of them nakapag pa champion sa College, Semi-Pro & Pro League sa RP sige dagdagan pa natin sa SEA Games pero sa Asia wala. Sige pag nagawa mo kahit ma qualify lang sa 2010 World Championship ang RP bonus pag nag champion next year sa FIBA Asia Sr. Basketball Championship* na walang assist ni Toroman maniniwala na ako sa punto mo. Maging open minded ka sana muna alang-alang sa ikakabuti ng basketball sa atin.

D_I_A
10-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Guiao questions Toroman’s role in RP caging
By Abac Cordero

Philippine basketball may need a Serbian seven-footer but not a Serbian coach.

Yeng Guiao, considered as the finest local coach today, yesterday questioned the appointment of Serbian Rajko Toroman as consultant/project director of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

Toroman, who helped Iran win the FIBA Asia championship this year, has accepted the SBP offer for him to help chart the future of Philippine basketball, particularly in the international arena, in the next three years.

Guiao, former president of the Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines, and head coach of Red Bull in the PBA, would like to know the extent of Toroman’s powers.

Guiao said if Toroman eventually ends up calling the shots for the team then it may be a “legal problem.”

“It has to be really put in clear language if he is a coach, consultant or project director. Because if he will bring in the players and preside over practices then it’s a mere play of words,” said Guiao during the PSA Forum at Shakey’s UN Avenue.

“We have nothing personal against him but the BCAP, of which I am the former president, was formed to protect the interest of the local coaches. And part of that is being given the chance to coach the national team,” said Guiao who was recently appointed head coach of the national team to be formed and backed by the PBA.

He believes that a Filipino coach can do what Toroman can do.

“But if he has the technology or the system where the six-footers can beat the seven-footers and we don’t know it then I’ll carry his bag. That’s exactly what I mean. We have to prove that, ‘Pinoy tabi ka muna because undoubtedly mas-magaling ito,’” Guiao said.

A few years ago, the BCAP, now under Chito Narvasa, won a court case that prevented foreigners like John Moran, Bill Bayno and Paul Woolpert from coaching in the PBA.

“Yes, that’s our position. We won that court case against the foreign coaches and we’d like the ruling to stay,” said Narvasa, also a former coach in the PBA.

“In those instances they were taking away a coaching job only in a club. Now they’re taking away a coaching job in a national team. Mas serious na usapan ito. If you want to take that chance away from a Filipino coach you must have a very good reason,” said Guiao, stressing that what RP needs is to naturalize one or two seven-footers.

Guiao said that in past performances of the national team overseas, coaching was less of our problem, but the lack of size and international exposure.

“We are coaches and he is a coach, and we were not consulted on this matter and they are all set to sign the contract. It’s not just a technical issue. It’s an emotional issue,” said Guiao.

Toroman also graced the forum and had just left with SBP executive director Noli Eala when Guiao was asked to comment on the appointment of the Serbian national by the SBP.

Eala said Tomoran is here to stay for three years to help in the development of RP basketball aimed at giving the country a slot in the 2012 London Olympics.

Eala did not say that Toroman will coach the RP team in the future.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080930154)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach Yeng relax ka lang, ilang dekada na ba hindi nakakapasok ang RP sa World Competition? Si Toroman napag champion niya ang Iran noong 2007 FIBA Asia Sr. Basketball Championship na na qualified din sa Beijing Olympics eh dati nilalampaso lang natin. Tama ka maraming magagaling na coach sa atin pero most of them nakapag pa champion sa College, Semi-Pro & Pro League sa RP sige dagdagan pa natin sa SEA Games pero sa Asia wala. Sige pag nagawa mo kahit ma qualify lang sa 2010 World Championship ang RP bonus pag nag champion next year sa FIBA Asia Sr. Basketball Championship* na walang assist ni Toroman maniniwala na ako sa punto mo. Maging open minded ka sana muna alang-alang sa ikakabuti ng basketball sa atin.

and the Wrath of Pampanga has spoken..tsk!tsk! kailangan ba talaga ang mga statements na ito for the preparation of the National team or Preparation for the Gubernatorial campaign in 2010?

Bayan Muna Isabay ang Sarili!?

Whew. Here we go again. >:(

D_I_A
10-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Daily Tribune

Guiao may now shop for needed seven-footer

10/02/2008

If the country is to use the naturalization option to find a legitimate center, a seven-footer at that — to reinforce the national team, it must start its search at soonest possible time.

National coach Yeng Guiao added that the country may also have to tap at least two seven-footer under the naturalization process, the other one being a ready substitute in the event that the naturalized player gets injured.

“The option for naturalization will go down the drain in the event that the player gets injured, so it would be better if there’s an alternate,” explained Guiao, who was given the green light to look around for a naturalized player to reinforce the PBA-backed Philippine team competing in the Fiba-Asia men’s championship next year.

Guiao also said there are available players who could be candidates for the naturalization process for price cheaper than the ones being paid to imports playing in the PBA.

PBA board chairman Joaqui Trillo said they’re amenable to the idea of recruiting a naturalized player for the national team if that’s the wish of the national coach.

“We’re fully behind coach Yeng Guiao in this endeavor. If he wants that, we’ll give it to him,” said Trillo during the official launching of the 34th PBA season at the Diamond Hotel on Roxas Boulevard yesterday.

The preparation of the RP team for the Asian joust is an integral part of the program in the 2008-09 PBA season with league officials hoping that the team makes the grade for the 2010 World Championship in Turkey.

The league is also giving strong considerations to holding pocket invitational tournament next year to serve as the final stage of the RP team preparation for world qualifier, accoroding to Barrios.

To have a good chance at making it to the world championship, Guiao said the team must have the seven-footer and must be exposed to international game as much as possible.

“That will give the team a legitimate chance in Turkey,” Guiao said.

CrossOver
10-02-2008, 02:37 AM
^Hayz ayaw ni coach Yeng Guiao ng foreign coach pero gusto nya ng foreign player. Ohhh sino naman aangal ngayon Pinoy Player Association? sus sakit sa ulo tsk tsk!

sajubeads
10-04-2008, 07:38 AM
WTF is this stupid , highly politicized - Coach doing. He is more talk than Chot Reyes. The reason why Philippines is still at the doldrums in international basketball is because we dont know how to play the international type of game. Yeng's assertion that the main problem is height is not entirely true. Look at the African team in the latest Olympic games, their tallest pl,ayer is just 6-7 -6-8 but still the team can still play competitive basketball. Two days ago, narvasa mentioned in a National televised interview that even countries with foreign coaches did not fair well in the Olympics. He mentioned Iran , coached by Toroman and China by Kauskaukas. But at least Iran made it to Olympics in just 18 months under Toroman. If China's 6th place in Olympics is not good enough for Narvasa then probably Chot's 9th place is better or the Cebuana National team of Zamar( lossing to Paranaque Jets ) is the best.

The reason why SBP has to resort to hiring of a foreign coach is because of the fact that " NO FILIPINO " has the expertise and the "technology " to coached the international game. Sure there are lts of good Filipino coach but they are good only for Filipino type, dribble-dribble type one on one play. Who among the Coaches were able to land a medal in the Asian tournaments the last 20 years .... All foreigners right..... championship by Jacobs, 3rd place by Cone and Black, 4th by Uichico and 9th by Reyes. The 2nd place of Jaworski is the best by a Pinoy caoch but remneber that the core of the team is made up of NCC/ Jacobs trained players. The contention of BCAP is that by hiring a foreign coach , it will deprive Filipino coaches. But the main question here is competence, ijust like in a merchandise, if you are going to buy a product, you look for a product where your money is worth. Just because Johnny tam has no job, you have to choose him over Toroman...

Yeng Guiao, just do your job or should i say your jobs... Imagine Yeng Guiao, a Vice - governor of Pampanga, professional coach, national team coach ... I am from Pampanga and what has he done... to divide the local politicians here in Pampanga and creating chaos here in the province

D_I_A
10-04-2008, 10:28 PM
WTF is this stupid , highly politicized -* Coach* doing. He is more talk than Chot Reyes. The reason why Philippines is still at the doldrums in international basketball is because we dont know how to play the international type of game. Yeng's assertion that the main problem is height is not entirely true. Look at the* African team in the latest Olympic games, their tallest pl,ayer is just 6-7 -6-8 but still the team can still play competitive basketball. Two days ago, narvasa mentioned in a National televised interview that even countries with foreign coaches did not fair well in the Olympics. He mentioned Iran , coached by Toroman and China by Kauskaukas. But at least Iran made it to Olympics in just 18 months under Toroman. If China's 6th place in Olympics is not good enough for Narvasa then probably Chot's 9th place is better or the Cebuana National team of Zamar( lossing to Paranaque Jets ) is the best.

The reason why SBP has to resort to hiring of a foreign coach is because of the fact that " NO FILIPINO " has the expertise and the "technology " to coached the international game. Sure there are lts of good Filipino coach but they are good only for Filipino type, dribble-dribble type one on one play. Who among the Coaches were able to land a medal in the Asian tournaments* the last 20 years .... All foreigners right..... championship by Jacobs, 3rd place by Cone and Black, 4th by Uichico and 9th by Reyes. The 2nd place of Jaworski is the best by a Pinoy caoch but remneber that the core of the team is made up of NCC/ Jacobs trained players. The contention of BCAP is that by hiring a foreign coach , it will deprive Filipino coaches. But the main question here is competence, ijust like in a merchandise, if you are going to buy a product, you look for a product where your money is worth. Just because Johnny tam has no job, you have to choose him over Toroman...

Yeng Guiao, just do your job or should i say your jobs... Imagine Yeng Guiao, a Vice - governor of Pampanga, professional coach, national team coach ... I am from Pampanga and what has he done... to divide the local politicians* here in Pampanga and creating chaos here in the province

ganyan talaga dude..staging ground ang issue ni Toroman na makabayan sya para sa gubernatorial elections sa 2010.

Coach Yeng tama na pulitika, hayaan nyo na muna ng BCAP si Toroman, tutal, kung paramihan lang din ng alam sa international game ng basketball e talagang kahit pagsamasamahin ang utak nyo ni Narvasa, Austria, Pumaren e talagang di pa rin kayo uubra.

Enough and shut up BCAP

CrossOver
10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
PBA players get in line behind Guiao
By TITO TALAO

The line to the Philippine team for the 2009 FIBA-Asia World Championship qualifier forms to the left.

And, it looks like, to the right as well.

With Asi Taulava of the Coca-Cola Tigers and Willie Miller of the Alaska Aces having signified earlier their desire to be part of the RP team being formed by national coach Yeng Guiao for the 2009 FIBA-Asia World Championship qualifier, a number of key players went on the record during the 34th PBA season opening last Saturday on the prospect of getting a call from the fiery Red Bull mentor.

• MICK PENNISI/San Miguel Beermen:

I’ll be very honored to do it again. All my experiences in the RP team were all excellent. Although we didn’t do as well as we should have the last time, it’s an experience I don’t take lightly. I’m looking forward to it if I’m called up. I’m excited to play again.

• KERBY RAYMUNDO/Purefoods Giants:

Siempre basta pag magse-serve sa country, excited tayo diyan. Gusto rin natin malayo marating at makabawi sa FIBA-Asia, di ba? Di tayo pinalad noon so hopefully ngayon baka magkaroon tayo ng chance.

• KELLY WILLIAMS/Sta. Lucia Realtors:

Again? I’d love to. Representing the country, there’s nothing bigger to do, especially playing with a bunch of talented guys. If it’s anything like the players that I’ve played with in previous teams, it’s always a great experience.

• ARWIND SANTOS/Air21 Express:

Kung masasama ako roon, sobrang thanks ako. Excited na excited siempre kung makukuha ako ni Coach Yeng.

• JAMES YAP/Purefoods Giants:

Kung lalaro ako? Oo naman. Siempre kung para sa bansa, kailangan suportahan natin. So anytime ako.

• RICO VILLANUEVA/Purefoods Giants:

Siempre, if I would be tapped even if just for the training pool. Kung papapuntahin ako, I’ll gladly do it for my country. It’s an honor to be called for the national team.

• RYAN REYES/Sta. Lucia Realtors:

Tingin ko honor ‘yon sa ‘kin. If coach Yeng is considering me to join the national team, siempre I’ll play for the nation, our country, where my parents were born. It’s a big honor. If I do end up playing for the national team, I’ll give it my best, my hardest.

• JAY-R REYES/Rain or Shine Elasto Painters:

First time ko, talagang pagbubutihin ko. Siempre si Coach Yeng ang kukunin non mga offensive players, di ba? Siguro yung part na magagawa ko yung rebounding at sa defense. Magiging sobrang masaya ako dahil first time ko lang makakalaro sa RP team kung sakali.

• GABE NORWOOD/Rain or Shine Elasto Painters:

Nobody’s talked to me yet so. I don’t know. We’ll see what happens. If I’m asked to play, then I’ll play. But we’ll see what happens.

MB (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20081007137308.html)

a_ron
10-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Let us give coach Yeng Guiao chance to make the change not Toroman..If Noli Eala Says let us give change a chance let us give Yeng Guiao first the chance to make the change...

D_I_A
10-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Let us give coach Yeng Guiao chance to make the change not Toroman..If Noli Eala Says let us give change a chance let us give Yeng Guiao first the chance to make the change...

The change must start with himself..

Bayan muna isabay ang sarili? 2010 elections is fast coming..

Toroman issue is just what Guiao needs to propel himself to the top post in Pampanga.

Pity Philippine Basketbal.. >:(l

pachador
10-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Guiao needs to change his narrow outlook. toroman will be the coach for the youth team while guiao is to coach the PBA team which has a mandate only until 2009/2010 as requested by PBA mismo. What is so difficult for him to understand?
Let me tell you. the BCAP and Guiao will not find a friend or ally in all the filipino basketball forums to support them in their anti-toroman wish. Just read all the posts here and in all the forum. Better tell Guiao that if he wants to win the pampanga elections that he needs to listen to what the basketball fans want and not to what BCAP wants.

aarreza
10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Just a though... how will Yeng be able to juggle 3 jobs (that being vice-governor of Pampanga, head coach of RB and the Men's NT)... I know that he has been able to perform his duties a Vice Gov while at the same time coach RB but adding the responsiblities of coaching the NT will be a bid difficult unless he goes on leave from RB, just like was Chot did previously (from SMB)...

D_I_A
10-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Wag na sanang isawsaw pa in Coach Yeng ang sarili nya sa issue ni Toroman. obvious tuloy na nangangampanya lang sya.

Shut Up BCAP!!!

Stop BCAP!!!

Down with the BAP!!!

Deport Graham Lim Now!!!

insulares
10-09-2008, 08:59 AM
For BCAP fans everywhere:

Narvasa may be contacted at tel. Nos. 6872156 to 58 or 6871048 (fax) or via e-mail at info@aynresource.com.ph.

http://www.surfshop.net.ph/pba2/alaska/archives.asp?dt=2%2F3%2F2008&ar=2

CrossOver
10-14-2008, 12:27 AM
RP coach impressed by 3 PBA rookies
By Nelson Beltran

Two games into the new PBA season, rookies Jared Dillinger, Solomon Mercado and Jason Castro have caught the attention of national team coach Yeng Guiao with their brand of play that could boost the RP team’s stock when it competes in the FIBA Asia championship next year.

“Gabe Norwood is a given, being a member of the RP team to the last FIBA Asia championship. Among the new faces, Jared Dillinger, Solomon Mercado and Jason Castro are those who deserve a second look,” Guiao told The STAR.

“They should be given a chance to be considered although they’re in for a tough competition considering the talents that we have in their spots,” Guiao added.

Dillinger impressed Guiao the most with the Talk n Text Fil-Am rookie out of the University of Hawaii debuting with a sizzling 29-point performance against Air21 last week.

“He can play from one to three. He has the size, height, quickness and talent. But as a rookie, he has to mature in his game. He needs to have good decision- making if he’s to make the team,” said Guiao of the 6-foot-4 guard-forward.

Guiao, who intends to name his 15 to 18-man pool before the end of the year, said he’ll continue to look at the games of these rookies in their next few games.

“Actually I don’t want to put pressure on them because I want to see them playing in their natural capacity,” said Guiao.

Another player being considered is former Blue Eagle Japeth Aguilar, who’s now playing for a Division I school in the US NCAA.

PBA operations chief Rickie Santos said they’re planning to invite Aguilar to come home when he can join the pool in practice for a long period.

“Surely not during a PBA tournament. We want during a break when the pool is already playing together,” said Santos.

Norwood, Dillinger and Mercado have been impressive in their initial showings in the pro league.

Rain or Shine has made it two in a row with Mercado shining against Air21 then Norwood delivering crucial baskets down the stretch against Red Bull.

Dillinger was steady in Talk n Text’s first three games. Meriting long minutes from coach Chot Reyes right in his debut, the South Dakota native sat out the last quarter due to cramps.

Castro, a talented point guard who won MVP honors in the NCAA and the PBL, produced significant numbers in his third game with Talk n Text against Barangay Ginebra Sunday.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=2008101396)

k3v1nski
10-16-2008, 05:36 PM
LETS SUPPORT COACH YENG..
besides he will be the one coaching the Nat'l team this 2009 FIBA Tourney..
if we wins it.. tuloy-tuloy na to.. hanggang london olympics.
go!go!go!

D_I_A
10-17-2008, 12:24 AM
go!go!go!

that's a BIG "IF"! :P

a_ron
10-18-2008, 09:43 AM
go!go!go!

Coach Yeng go go go...........]

glock23
10-18-2008, 11:03 AM
For BCAP fans everywhere:

Narvasa may be contacted at tel. Nos. 6872156 to 58 or 6871048 (fax) or via e-mail at info@aynresource.com.ph.

http://www.surfshop.net.ph/pba2/alaska/archives.asp?dt=2%2F3%2F2008&ar=2

been wanting to get contact info of Narvasa, thanks man! ;D

salsa caballero
10-18-2008, 12:49 PM
...didn't we know that, pare. Oist! Usapang BCAP ba yan?

D_I_A
10-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Manila Bulletin
10/20/2008

Consultations for RP 5 begin

By WAYLON GALVEZ

The formation of the all-PBA national team that coach Yeng Guiao will handle takes its first crucial step when he meets today former national team coaches.

Guiao, the Red Bull mentor, said he needs to get the opinion of Tim Cone (Alaska), Jong Uichico (Barangay Ginebra), Chot Reyes (Talk ’N Text) and Norman Black of UAAP champion Ateneo following the objection of former senator Robert Jaworski to have a "naturalized" Filipino player in the RP team.

In a recent TV interview, Jaworski, who steered the first all-pro team to a runner-up finish in the 1990 Asian Games in Beijing, said he is not in favor of naturalizing a foreign player in order for the country to be competitive enough.

Guiao had earlier said that for the country to figure well in the international tournament, the team must be reinforced by a "naturalized" Filipino player since he acknowledged that the RP team lacks a dependable big man.

The concept of naturalizing a foreign player has also the support of the PBA Board chaired by Alaska’s Joaqui Trillo.

"That’s the reason why we got this advisory group of former national team coaches, we hope to get and collect their wisdom in forming a competitive team," Guiao told the Bulletin yesterday.

"We respect the senator’s (Jaworski) opinion, but other coaches might have other opinions and I have my own, too. We’ll get the consensus of the group," he added.

Guiao and his soon-to-be-formed Nationals will compete in next year’s FIBA-Asia Championship, which serves as the qualifying tournament for the 2010 World Championship in Turkey.

The process of naturalizing a player has been implemented by FIBA several years ago although the rule now allows each country to get one naturalized player.

"Ito naman ginagawa na ng karamihan eh, so why not us? For us to be competitive, I guess isa ito (naturalized) sa mga makakatulong," Guiao added.

In the 80s, two Americans -- Jeff Moore and Dennis Still -- were allowed to play for the RP team after they were naturalized through a presidential decree by then President Ferdinand Marcos. This team won the 1985 Asian Basketball Conference in Malaysia.

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) is also thinking of getting a naturalized player for the team that will be formed by Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman.

However, SBP executive director Noli Eala said that while the federation is leaning towards that idea of naturalizing a player, he said that it is something that should be studied first.

"We have to weigh this whole concept," Eala said. "We have to listen to him (Jaworski), actually not just him but all the basketball sectors concerned. The process of naturalizing a player isn't just about basketball, but being a Filipino."

Meantime, the controversial Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman will arrive today from Belgrade to start his work as Project Director of the SBP.

The 53-year-old Toroman is tasked to form the national team aimed at qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics.

insulares
10-20-2008, 03:35 AM
been wanting to get contact info of Narvasa, thanks man!* ;D

No problem Glock.* I'd be happy if Narvasa loosens his necktie to get some blood circulating in his brain. ;)

insulares
10-20-2008, 04:05 AM
"Ito naman ginagawa na ng karamihan eh, so why not us? For us to be competitive, I guess isa ito (naturalized) sa mga makakatulong," Guiao added.

To use Guiao's brilliant logic, totoo rin naman na ang paggamit ng highly-skilled at full-time foreign coach ay "ginagawa na ng karamihan" (China, Japan, Qatar, Lebanon, Iran, Jordan, et al).

"So why not us?" Bakit nga ba hindi ulit, ginoong Narvasa at Guiao?* Because according to you both, it's fine for Filipino players to lose their jobs to foreigners so long as Filipino coaches (and coaching discards/current non-coaches like Chito Narvasa of the BCAP) don't give an inch to more competent foreigners who can upgrade coaching capability in the Philippines.

You have to hand it to Narvasa and Guiao.* Their brand of patriotism is a bit weird, if not downright crude.

D_I_A
10-20-2008, 04:18 AM

To use Guiao's brilliant logic, totoo rin naman na ang paggamit ng highly-skilled at full-time foreign coach ay "ginagawa na ng karamihan" (China, Japan, Qatar, Lebanon, Iran, Jordan, et al).

"So why not us?" Bakit nga ba hindi ulit, ginoong Narvasa at Guiao?* Because according to you both, it's fine for Filipino players to lose their jobs to foreigners so long as Filipino coaches (and coaching discards/current non-coaches like Chito Narvasa of the BCAP) don't give an inch to more competent foreigners who can upgrade coaching capability in the Philippines.

You have to hand it to Narvasa and Guiao.* Their brand of patriotism is a bit weird, if not downright crude.

not only downright crude but showing backwardness..

Shut Up BCAP!!!

D_I_A
10-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Guiao wants to keep core of RP team

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

National coach Yeng Guiao wants to keep the core of the team that topped the classification round in the last Asian Championship as he draws up his plan for the next FIBA Asia tilt in 2009.

Based on the length of exposure and the statistical contribution they had in last year’s qualifying tournament for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Kelly Williams, Asi Taulava, Mick Pennisi, Jayjay Helterbrand, Mark Caguioa, Jimmy Alapag, Gabe Norwood, and Kerby Raymundo are likely to be tapped to spearhead the national squad.

Jockeying for position could be James Yap, Willie Miller, Sonny Thoss, Cyrus Baguio, Arwind Santos, Ryan Reyes, and Jay-R Reyes.

Guiao said he plans to name 15 to 18 players in his pool by the first week of November.

This developed as Guiao met an elite cast of advisers that will help him chart his courses of action in their buildup for the FIBA championship.

The list includes former RP team coaches Robert Jaworski, Norman Black, Jong Uichico and Chot Reyes who had their initial meeting with Guiao and PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios Monday night at the Edsa Shangri-La Plaza.

“They shared their experience and promised to help. Before the final lineup goes , I’ll show the advisory council the proposed lineup. I told them they can endorse players and their endorsement will be considered,” said Guiao

Coach Tim Cone is also in the list but he missed the meeting while attending an earlier commitment.

Those present discussed basically the problems that they encountered during their turn as national coach.

Black, the RP mentor to the 1994 Hiroshima Asian Games, talked about scouting, which they didn’t give much importance then.

Uichico, who was at RP helm in the 2002 Busan Asiad Games, discussed the need for international exposure while Reyes, the latest to handle the post in the 2007 Tokushima FIBA-Asia championship, stressed the need to adjust to international calls.

Jaworski, the architect of the silver medal finish of the RP team in the 1990 Beijing Asiad, wants total commitment from the players.

“He wants only the players ready to sacrifice for flag and country. If it comes to a choice between talent and commitment, he’d rather go for commitment,” said Guiao.

Guiao said all problems “raised will be discussed later. One concern is the possible cut in our training period with the tourney likely to be held a month ahead of the original schedule,” he said. – Nelson Beltran

insulares
10-26-2008, 11:57 AM
'International exposure vital for RP team's success'

abs-cbnNEWS.com | 10/25/2008 1:00 AM

International exposure will be a crucial factor for Team Philippines to succeed in the coming 2009 Fiba-Asia World Championship qualifiers, according to RP basketball coach Yeng Guiao.

Guiao said this is the reason why he decided to keep 60 to 70 percent of the professional players who last saw action for the RP basketball team.

The concurrent coach of Red Bull Barakos said the lack of exposure is what keeps the talented nationals from unleashing their fullest potential against international competitors.

“A lot of these [foreign] teams are playing international basketball and they're so used to the rules, they're so used to the officiating, they're so used toplaying with each other. I think we in the Philippines were playing against each other too long, we're not expanding our horizons,” Guiao said during an interview in ANC’s Hardball sports show

Since most of those who compose the RP contingent are PBA players, Guiao said they would have to squeeze their time in between conference schedules to join international matches.*

“We will try to get some international exposure along the gap. There's a gap between the All-Filipino and the Reinforced Conference. We will also have six-weeks after that, so we will try to get as much experience as we can,” he said.

Guiao consulted last Monday with former national coaches Robert Jaworski, Norman Black, Jong Uichico and Chot Reyes to determine what’s best for the new RP team.

The complete lineup is expected to be announced next month as the RP team’s first practice is scheduled in November.

Those being considered are Gabe Norwood, Kerby Raymundo, Kelly Williams, Mark Caguioa, Jay-Jay Helterbrand, Asi Taulava, Mick Pennisi, and Jimmy Alapag.

Other players in consideration are James Yap, Cyrus Baguio, Arwind Santos, Ryan Reyes, Jay-R Reyes, Willie Miller, Sonny Thoss and Japeth Aguilar.

Dennis Gasgonia, abs-cbnNEWS.com

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/10/24/08/international-exposure-vital-rp-teams-success

insulares
10-26-2008, 12:17 PM
"..I think we in the Philippines were playing against each other too long, we're not expanding our horizons,” Guiao said during an interview in ANC’s Hardball sports show

Guiao issues a biting indictment of himself and the PBA of Sonny Barrios (ouch!!!).* He must've drunk something before the interview.* Whatever it is, I hope Guiao keeps drinking it...mas matalino siya pakinggan.* ;D

oca
10-26-2008, 01:11 PM
"..I think we in the Philippines were playing against each other too long, we're not expanding our horizons,” Guiao said during an interview in ANC’s Hardball sports show

Guiao issues a biting indictment of himself and the PBA of Sonny Barrios (ouch!!!). He must've drunk something before the interview. Whatever it is, I hope Guiao keeps drinking it...mas matalino siya pakinggan. ;D

I don't think it was an indictment nor was he on something.

For so many years now, paulit-ulit namang sinasabi, our teams needs more exposure to the int'l brand of play. Walang bago sa sinabi ni Guiao. Maybe it the manner he said it, but the message is an old one. That he as coach of the NT will actually say it is nothing new even.

On a related matter, not mentioned on the article, but is also very much an old message...

Paulit-ilit ding sinasabi ang continuity... Keep a core a team for one complete cycle -- 4 years to coincide with the Olympics at the very least--- para maganda ang cohesion. Hindi bago yan.

Wala nang masasabing bago sa basketball dito.

Lahat ng puna ay nasabi na. Lahat ng mali ay naihayag na. Kung ano ang dapat gawin, alam na natin.

Ano ang kulang?

Gawa.

At alam na rin yan ng lahat.

D_I_A
10-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Guiao issues a biting indictment of himself and the PBA of Sonny Barrios (ouch!!!).* He must've drunk something before the interview.* Whatever it is, I hope Guiao keeps drinking it...mas matalino siya pakinggan.* ;D

I don't think it was an indictment nor was he on something.

For so many years now, paulit-ulit namang sinasabi, our teams needs more exposure to the int'l brand of play. Walang bago sa sinabi ni Guiao. Maybe it the manner he said it, but the message is an old one. That he as coach of the NT will actually say it is nothing new even.

On a related matter, not mentioned on the article, but is also very much an old message...

Paulit-ilit ding sinasabi ang continuity... Keep a core a team for one complete cycle -- 4 years to coincide with the Olympics at the very least--- para maganda ang cohesion. Hindi bago yan.

Wala nang masasabing bago sa basketball dito.

Lahat ng puna ay nasabi na. Lahat ng mali ay naihayag na. Kung ano ang dapat gawin, alam na natin.

Ano ang kulang?

Gawa.

At alam na rin yan ng lahat.

another publicity stunt!!!

D_I_A
11-19-2008, 11:47 AM
In Huddle
Big J peps up Guiao’s game gang

By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:56:00 11/19/2008

Sta. Lucia Realty’s Kelly Williams was missed at the dinner-meeting called by national coach Yeng Guiao for the recently formed Philippine team that will compete in the 2009 FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship.

Kelly begged off from the group’s first meeting, explaining that his eye was swollen and hurting.

In addition to the pain and discomfort, the black eye inflicted by Jay-R Reyes’ wayward elbow during the Sta. Lucia-Rain or Shine game was not exactly pleasant to look at.

The rest of Kelly’s teammates was present Monday night at the Saisaki Edsa restaurant, though. They were joined by PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios and the advisory committee composed of former national coaches Sonny Jaworski, Jong Uichico, Chot Reyes, Tim Cone and Norman Black.

Providing us with some highlights of the occasion, Commissioner Sonny said the Big J was the first to take the floor.

“He welcomed the players, emphasizing the importance of the mission they are about to undertake and of their commitment to the mission,” said Barrios.

“The Big J, who played in the Olympics, the Asian Games, the World Basketball Championship and many ABC (now FIBA-Asia) championships, said the highest points of his career were playing for flag and country.”

One thing the players should wipe away from their minds, according to the Living Legend, is the fear of getting hurt.

“I ask for your understanding and forgiveness,” was one of Guiao’s first few words to the national team.

What was he apologizing for?

Well, Yeng was putting the cart ahead of the horse.

Yeng knows himself well enough to anticipate his players’ emotions during training and actual games. Or maybe this is his style to get the adrenalin pumping in his players.

Yeng explained that he is not the traditional, orthodox type of coach, the reason why he is begging the indulgence of his players even before they hold their first practice session.

He said he might shout and curse at times to get his message across, but made it clear that he doesn’t mean to offend or insult but to inspire.

In his own unconventional way.

Scrapped from the original plans for the national team was the search for a prospective naturalized player.

“We don’t have enough time for that,” said Barrios. “That’s why we’re setting our sights on tall (6-feet-8 or taller) foreigners with Filipino roots, in particular those with dual citizenships.”

A worldwide search, I understand, has been launched.

Meanwhile, the team’s light practice sessions will commence soon in preparation for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tournament in May. Also on the team’s schedule is the Jones Cup in July, a stint in the Middle East against Gulf teams, a pocket tournament here and finally, the FIBA-Asia Championship.

While the exact date of the FIBA-Asia tournament has not been finalized, the earlier the team prepares, the better, according to SBP vice chair Ricky Vargas.

Incidentally, Ricky’s dream of building a coliseum for the PBA may yet be achieved, in collaboration with the SBP which is bidding for the hosting of the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship, the qualifier for the 2012 London Olympics.

The timetable for the construction of the coliseum may be a bit tight, Ricky admits, but he said it can be done.

To let people know that the rubbing alcohol brand Dr. J is still in the market, businessman-owner Aton Atilano said he is thinking of resurrecting his team in the PBL. Or forming a team in the PWBL.

A close friend and business associate of Sonny Jaworski, Aton used to frequent the PBA games when the Big J still actively coached and played. When Jawo unofficially retired, Aton stopped going to the games. I bumped into him and his brother Benjie at the wake of lawyer Butch Cleofe at the Loyola Memorial Chapels in Marikina the other night.

Back in the late 1980s, Aton and the Big J formed the Dr. J team and tapped Leo Isaac as its coach.

“We were one of the pioneers,” Aton said. “We had players like Bryan Gahol. Ogie Gumatay, Robin Mendoza. We won a championship in l998.”

CrossOver
12-16-2008, 06:57 AM
By Waylon Galvez

Having used to handling a team without superstars, Yeng Guiao considers his stint as coach of the national team as manna from heaven.

"With what I’ve seen (with the national team), it’s not tougher as I thought," said Guiao who is currently in Hong Kong for an early Christmas vacation.

What concerns Guiao most is Red Bull’s campaign in the ongoing KFC-PBA Philippine Cup.

"I’m not worried with the chemistry, jelling, cohesion of the RP Team. Mas worried pa nga ako sa Red Bull," Guiao added.

The Bulls, dead last in the standings with a 5-11 win-loss record, have won their last two matches, but still need to win their two remaining games to secure an outright wildcard slot.

The Bulls upset league-leading Alaska, 100-80, and subdued Air21, 98-88, to move just half-a-game behind 6-11 Coca-Cola. They can tie the Tigers when they clash on Friday at the Ynares Sports Center in Antipolo City.

After the Tigers, the Bulls face defending champion Sta. Lucia Realty on Sunday at the Astrodome in Pasay City.

"Nagkataon lang naman siguro ‘yung dalawang panalo. Those are just temporary relief for our team, because we still need to win our last two games to advance to the next round, the wildcard," said Guiao, who is scheduled to fly back tomorrow.

"If we don’t win, it would be the same old story of coming up short. It’s half done. We have to finish it," he added.

Guiao has earned a reputation as a miracle worker, having led the Bulls to the playoffs despite the departure of star players.

Although admitting that he’s facing the toughest chore in his career, Guiao said his players are responding well to his system.

He also credited the players’ fighting heart.

"May puso itong team na ito," he said. "We also rely heavily on the system. If we lack talent, we rely on our other weapon, which is our system. We’re holding out, but I don’t know till when."

Back to his dual role as national drillmaster, Guiao said he called off the remaining once-a-week practices this year to give some of his players a chance to recuperate from injuries.

Guiao said the long break would not affect their preparation for the FIBA-Asia tournament.

"If we can put two straight weeks of practice, I’m sure magiging madali na lahat kasi hindi naman mahirap ipa-intindi ‘yung system sa mga players," Guiao said.

Manila Bulletin (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20081216143615.html)

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 12:33 AM
By Nelson Beltran

The question on which entity will provide financial assistance for Roseller “Yeng” Guiao as mentor of the national team bound for the 2009 Fiba Asia championship has come up after he has resigned as head coach of the Red Bull squad in the PBA.

“If he has resigned and his resignation has been accepted, that’s something we have to discuss,” said PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios.

“I’ll talk with him and also discuss it with the board. But I don’t think that would be a big problem. We can include it in the budget if necessary,” Barrios added.

The league commissioner doesn’t expect Guiao to be unattached in the pro league for long, anticipating job offers to come Guiao’s way in the near future.

“He’s proven himself as a coach. I believe he’ll have his new team soon,” said Barrios.

But in case Guiao doesn’t get a new team, the league needs to provide a bigger funding for the team.

The PBA board earlier set a P15 million budget for the Nationals with team manager Tony Chua tasked to look for sponsors. Coca-Cola has reportedly pledged an amount in support of the Fiba-Asia campaign.

Guiao’s Red Bull assistant coach Rhoel Nadurata is also set to leave the team while Gee Abanilla stays with the Bulls. The two are also Guiao’s assistant coaches with the national team.

Meanwhile, Guiao said the national pool may tap Japeth Aguilar.

“He’s coming in May and he’s worth looking at,” said Guiao of the 6-foot-9 former Ateneo player who now plays with Western Kentucky University in the US NCAA.

The national pool resumed its once-a-week practice yesterday at The Arena in San Juan.

The PBA selection is competing in the SEABA championship in April then in the Fiba-Asia championship in August.

In preparation for the Asian championship, Guiao hopes they also get to represent the country in the SEABA Champions Cup in March.

“I understand they allow two imports for each team in the Champions Cup. Probably, we can play there playing without an import,” said Guiao.

SBP executive director Noli Eala has announced earlier that the Champions Cup is the first tournament in the year for the developmental pool being handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=429439&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 01:16 AM
‘Giant’ trying out for RP five
By: Gerry Ramos
People's Journal
1/6/2009

HIGHLY-sought Filipino big man Japeth Aguilar is this summer to try out for the RP men’s basketball team.

National coach Yeng Guiao has already talked to the cager’s father, former Northern Consolidated Corp. stalwart Peter Aguilar, regarding the plans of the 6-foot-10 Western Kentucky University center to join the RP squad.

“Ang usapan dadating si Japeth dito for tryouts in May after graduation,” said Guiao.

The 23-year old big man from Pampanga is now in his senior year with the Hilltoppers and will be graduating from the NCAA Division I school this April.

In as much as Guiao would want to include Aguilar outright to his 14-man all-pro team, he said going through the usual tryouts is still necessary.

“Hindi kasi natin alam ang laro niya ngayon. Para sigurado lang,” added Guiao, also the vice-governor of Pampanga.

Aguilar is already in his second year with Western Kentucky, having spent the first two years of his college schooling playing for Ateneo Blue Eagles.

While he seldom gets playing time with the Hilltoppers, Aguilar remains to be a top prospect among local teams and considered a basketball star in the making following his remarkable showing while playing for Ateneo during the 2004 and 05 UAAP men’s basketball season.

“Based on the few times that I’ve seen him play with Ateneo before, my promise na siya as a big man,” Guiao said. “With the constant exposure he had playing for a Division I school in the U.S., siguro naman malaki lalo ang improvement niya.”

If ever Aguilar makes the grade with the RP squad, Guiao said he’ll already likely play for the FIBA-Asia men’s basketball championship in Tianjin City, China from August 6-16. The meet serves as the qualifier for the 2010 World Basketball Championship in Istanbul, Turkey.

“Kung isasama namin siya sa team sa FIBA-Asia tournament na siya lalaro dahil hindi siya aabot sa SEABA (South East Asian Basketball Association),” said Guiao.

The 8th edition of the SEABA men’s championship is the qualifying tournament of the FIBA-Asia competition. It is scheduled from April 2-6 and which the country, through the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, is eyeing to host.

Apart from the SEABA tilt, Guiao is also interested in fielding his team to the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia from May 12-20.

Unfortunately, the national developmental pool under coach Rajko Toroman is the one assigned to see action in the event, which has for qualifying meet the SEABA Champions Cup tentatively set from March 3-7.

“Maganda sana `yung Champions Cup dahil may mga imports yun and at the same time, yung mga top teams sa Asian naglalaro doon. It could have been a good test sa team bago sana tayo maglaro sa FIBA-Asia,” said the national coach.

Meanwhile, concern of who’s going to pay Guiao as a full-time RP coach has been raised following his decision to resign as Red Bull mentor.

The national coaching staff and the entire squad are currently receiving mere allowances from the Philippine Basketball Association, while maintaining their monthly salaries with their respective mother ball clubs.

But with Guiao now spending more of his time training the PBA-backed nationals, the possibility of him seeking a monthly salary instead of the usual token allowances is not that remote.

A highly-placed source within the PBA said that should Guiao raise the point, the matter will be subjected to the approval of the league Board first.

“At the moment kasi, wala sa budget ng team `yung ganoon, so if ever na magka-ganyan, the Board will have to discuss it first,” said the sourc

Eala said he would’ve preferred the developmental team to play in the SEABA qualifiers for the FIBA-Asia Championships instead of the PBA selection but left it up to the pro league to decide.

Makipagpalit na lang sila ng tournament sa SBP Team

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 07:41 AM
By Nelson Beltran

The question on which entity will provide financial assistance for Roseller “Yeng” Guiao as mentor of the national team bound for the 2009 Fiba Asia championship has come up after he has resigned as head coach of the Red Bull squad in the PBA.

“If he has resigned and his resignation has been accepted, that’s something we have to discuss,” said PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios.

“I’ll talk with him and also discuss it with the board. But I don’t think that would be a big problem. We can include it in the budget if necessary,” Barrios added.

The league commissioner doesn’t expect Guiao to be unattached in the pro league for long, anticipating job offers to come Guiao’s way in the near future.

“He’s proven himself as a coach. I believe he’ll have his new team soon,” said Barrios.

But in case Guiao doesn’t get a new team, the league needs to provide a bigger funding for the team.

The PBA board earlier set a P15 million budget for the Nationals with team manager Tony Chua tasked to look for sponsors. Coca-Cola has reportedly pledged an amount in support of the Fiba-Asia campaign.

Guiao’s Red Bull assistant coach Rhoel Nadurata is also set to leave the team while Gee Abanilla stays with the Bulls. The two are also Guiao’s assistant coaches with the national team.

“He’s coming in May and he’s worth looking at,” said Guiao of the 6-foot-9 former Ateneo player who now plays with Western Kentucky University in the US NCAA.

The national pool resumed its once-a-week practice yesterday at The Arena in San Juan.

The PBA selection is competing in the SEABA championship in April then in the Fiba-Asia championship in August.

In preparation for the Asian championship, Guiao hopes they also get to represent the country in the SEABA Champions Cup in March.

“I understand they allow two imports for each team in the Champions Cup. Probably, we can play there playing without an import,” said Guiao.

SBP executive director Noli Eala has announced earlier that the Champions Cup is the first tournament in the year for the developmental pool being handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=429439&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

Kunin na lang kaya ng SBP si Guiao tutal naman gusto rin naman ni Mr. MVP na "Pinoy" ang mag coach sa 2011 Fiba Asia Men's Championship then gawin na lang assistant coach or advisor si Toroman ??? Maging open minded lang sana tong si Guiao kay Toroman.

pachador
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
pero at least man lang for 1 year so Toroman ang coach tapos si Guiao ang assistant so that Guiao can observe toroman in action, its easiest to learn when you are observing the teacher ika nga.

By Nelson Beltran

Kunin na lang kaya ng SBP si Guiao tutal naman gusto rin naman ni Mr. MVP na "Pinoy" ang mag coach sa 2011 Fiba Asia Men's Championship then gawin na lang assistant coach or advisor si Toroman ??? Maging open minded lang sana tong si Guiao kay Toroman.

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
pero at least man lang for 1 year so Toroman ang coach tapos si Guiao ang assistant so that Guiao can observe toroman in action, its easiest to learn when you are observing the teacher ika nga.

Magandang kunin na siya ng SBP para ang hawak lang ni Guiao na mother team ay ang PBA Backed RP Team sa 2009 Fiba Asia Men's Baskeball Championship gabayan muna ni Toroman ang College Backed RP Team for 2 years. If the result ng campaign ni Guiao sa World Championship qualifier is nagqualified, pwedeng mag halo ang team nila both sa 2010 World Championship na si Tororman ang HC & Guiao muna AC then when he earned atleast his experience sa International Competetion. pwede na siya na humawak sa 2011 Olympic Qualifiers.

insulares
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
TEAM PILIPINAS TRAINING SHIFTS TO HIGHER GEAR IN COMING WEEKS*

SEABA tourney April 2 to 6

Tuesday, 06 January 2009*

The easy, free-flowing training road to the FIBA-Asia Men's Championship will turn steep and arduous for the PBA-Philippine team three weeks from now.

National coach Yeng Guiao announced during Monday's resumption of team practice at The Arena in San Juan that he will be calling two or three two-hour sessions beginning February – maybe even by the last week of January.

"We're still in the familiarization stage," Guiao said. "We're trying to get as much in without bothering the teams playing in the quarterfinals.

"But as the tournament gets closer, we have to go deeper into training. At saka by February, apat na lang ang naglalaro sa PBA. Six teams will have their players free."

The August 6-16 FIBA-Asia tournament in Tianjin, China – qualifying competition for the 2010 World Championship in Istanbul – is the target of Guiao's preparation.

To get there, however, the PBA-backed national squad will have to go through the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tourney on April 2 to 6 – the same route taken by Chot Reyes' RP team in 2007 to qualify for the Tokushima FIBA-Asia Championship, the regional elimination for the Beijing Olympics.

No official venue has been set for the SEABA tiff although the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, under telecommunications czar Manny V. Pangilinan, is reportedly putting up a bid for its staging.

"As I've told the players, this is the time to do all family obligations, and to let all injuries heal. Gawin na nilang lahat ng dapat nilang gawin ngayon so they can focus on their obligation to the team when tournament time comes," Guiao said.

"We can be a little lenient with their schedule now. But as the tournament gets closer, we'll be stricter with attendance."

PBA commissioner Renauld 'Sonny' Barrios, who attended the RP team's first practice for 2009 along with league operations and technical chief Rickie Santos, said, meanwhile, that plans are afoot to send Guiao on a couple of scouting trips within Asia.

"Maybe that can be arranged since the team has very limited foreign exposure due to the tight PBA schedule," Barrios said. "Para masilip rin niya yung mga magiging kalaban. Puwede niya sigurong subaybayan pag may tournaments doon."

"Puwede siguro. After all, I have more time in my hands now," said Guiao, who announced his resignation as Red Bull head coach a few days ago.

http://www.pba.ph/content/view/2441/1/

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
http://www.sportsnews.ph/images/PBA/rp%20team010609.jpg

The easy, free-flowing training road to the FIBA-Asia Men's Championship will turn steep and arduous for the PBA-Philippine team three weeks from now.

National coach Yeng Guiao announced during Monday's resumption of team practice at The Arena in San Juan that he will be calling two or three two-hour sessions beginning February – maybe even by the last week of January.

"We're still in the familiarization stage," Guiao said. "We're trying to get as much in without bothering the teams playing in the quarterfinals. "But as the tournament gets closer, we have to go deeper into training. At saka by February, apat na lang ang naglalaro sa PBA. Six teams will have their players free."

The August 6-16 FIBA-Asia tournament in Tianjin, China – qualifying competition for the 2010 World Championship in Istanbul – is the target of Guiao's preparation.

To get there, however, the PBA-backed national squad will have to go through the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tourney on April 2 to 6 – the same route taken by Chot Reyes' RP team in 2007 to qualify for the Tokushima FIBA-Asia Championship, the regional elimination for the Beijing Olympics.

No official venue has been set for the SEABA tiff although the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, under telecommunications czar Manny V. Pangilinan, is reportedly putting up a bid for its staging.

"As I've told the players, this is the time to do all family obligations, and to let all injuries heal. Gawin na nilang lahat ng dapat nilang gawin ngayon so they can focus on their obligation to the team when tournament time comes," Guiao said.

"We can be a little lenient with their schedule now. But as the tournament gets closer, we'll be stricter with attendance."

PBA commissioner Renauld 'Sonny' Barrios, who attended the RP team's first practice for 2009 along with league operations and technical chief Rickie Santos, said, meanwhile, that plans are afoot to send Guiao on a couple of scouting trips within Asia.

"Maybe that can be arranged since the team has very limited foreign exposure due to the tight PBA schedule," Barrios said. "Para masilip rin niya yung mga magiging kalaban. Puwede niya sigurong subaybayan pag may tournaments doon."

"Puwede siguro. After all, I have more time in my hands now," said Guiao, who announced his resignation as Red Bull head coach a few days ago.

Philippine Sports News (http://www.sportsnews.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1649&Itemid=1)

D_I_A
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Guiao, RP team turn to serious work
Daily Tribune
01/07/2009

The easy, free-flowing training road to the Fiba-Asia Men’s Championship will turn steep and arduous for the PBA-Philippine team three weeks from now.

National coach Yeng Guiao announced during Monday’s resumption of team practice at The Arena in San Juan that he will be calling two or three two-hour sessions beginning February — maybe even by the last week of January.

“We’re still in the familiarization stage,” Guiao said. “We’re trying to get as much in without bothering the teams playing in the quarterfinals.

“But as the tournament gets closer, we have to go deeper into training. At saka by February, apat na lang ang naglalaro sa PBA. Six teams will have their players free.”

The Aug. 6 to 16 Fiba-Asia tournament in Tianjin, China — qualifying competition for the 2010 World Championship in Istanbul — is the target of Guiao’s preparation.

To get there, however, the PBA-backed national squad will have to go through the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tourney on April 2 to 6 — the same route taken by Chot Reyes’ RP team in 2007 to qualify for the Tokushima Fiba-Asia Championship, the regional elimination for the Beijing Olympics.

No official venue has been set for the SEABA tiff although the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, under telecommunications czar Manny Pangilinan, is reportedly putting up a bid for its staging.

“As I’ve told the players, this is the time to do all family obligations, and to let all injuries heal. Gawin na nilang lahat ng dapat nilang gawin ngayon so they can focus on their obligation to the team when tournament time comes,” Guiao said.

“We can be a little lenient with their schedule now. But as the tournament gets closer, we’ll be stricter with attendance.”

PBA commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios, who attended the RP team’s first practice for 2009 along with league operations and technical chief Rickie Santos, meanwhile, said plans are afoot to send Guiao on a couple of scouting trips within Asia.

“Maybe that can be arranged since the team has very limited foreign exposure due to the tight PBA schedule,” Barrios said. “Para masilip rin niya yung mga magiging kalaban. Puwede niya sigurong subaybayan pag may tournaments doon.”

“Puwede siguro. After all, I have more time in my hands now,” said Guiao, who announced his resignation as Red Bull head coach a few days ago.

D_I_A
01-06-2009, 11:14 PM

Magandang kunin na siya ng SBP para ang hawak lang ni Guiao na mother team ay ang PBA Backed RP Team sa 2009 Fiba Asia Men's Baskeball Championship gabayan muna ni Toroman ang College Backed RP Team for 2 years. If the result ng campaign ni Guiao sa World Championship qualifier is nagqualified, pwedeng mag halo ang team nila both sa 2010 World Championship na si Tororman ang HC & Guiao muna AC then when he earned atleast his experience sa International Competetion. pwede na siya na humawak sa 2011 Olympic Qualifiers.

too many cooks spoil the food!!!

si guiao pa papayag na makasama si toroman? nakups baka giyera kalabasan niyan..

kung kay toroman malamang walang problema..

D_I_A
01-06-2009, 11:15 PM

si guiao pa papayag na makasama si toroman? nakups baka giyera kalabasan niyan..

D_I_A
01-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Guiao tests team in Seaba Champions Cup
Malaya
1/14/2009

NATIONAL coach Joseller ‘Yeng’ Guiao plans to use the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tournament in April as a gauge to measure his team’s chemistry and camaraderie rather than its readiness to go to war.
He is also seeking information, for scouting purposes, from the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas on the teams that will compete in the SEABA Champions Cup, also three months from now.

"I don’t think we’ll be 100 percent in the SEABA," Guiao said during practice Monday at The Arena in San Juan.

"After all, di naman siya kasing-competitive noong tournament sa August. We’ll be using it as a tool to get the team together, as a bonding experience with a chance to play competitively."

The SEABA tourney, to be played at a still undetermined location, is the qualifying tournament for the August FIBA-Asia Championship in Tianjin, China, which in turn will pick the region’s representatives to the World Championship in Istanbul next year.

Eight players showed up for the sixth day of practice since the team was formed last year, and three of them–Willie Miller and Sonny Thoss of Alaska and San Miguel Beer’s Mick Pennisi–sat out the 20-minute walk-through offense because of the impending best-of-seven semifinal series in the PBA Philippine Cup.

The Aces are facing the Sta. Lucia Realtors, where RP team candidates Kelly Williams and Ryan Reyes play for, while the Beermen battle the Talk N Text Tropang Texters, who have Ranidel de Ocampo and rookie Jared Dillinger in the lineup.

Guiao managed, nonetheless, to put in quality minutes with the five players he was left to work with: James Yap, Cyrus Baguio, Asi Taulava, Gabe Norwood and Jayjay Helterbrand.

"I can understand the problem of completing the team at the moment," Guiao said. "But in two or three weeks time, a good number of these guys will be available, full-time."

The simplicity of his system, Guiao said, makes prolonged periods of training unnecessary.

"I’m not worried about them getting the hang of the system," he said. "Since it requires minimal time and effort. I just have to put them in a structure and their talent will take over."

Scouting the opposition all over the region is "not a priority," the RP coach said, adding, however, that if the SBP can furnish him details of the field in the SEABA Champions Cup, then a trip might be arranged.

CrossOver
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM

Yan na nga din iniisp ko lakas kasi ng "Ego" nitong si Guiao tsk tsk tsk* :-\

CrossOver
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
The PBA-Philippine team steps up its preparation for the FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship with two or three two-hour training sessions beginning at the end of the month or early February.

In last Monday’s resumption of the team practice at The Arena in San Juan, national coach Yeng Guiao announced that he would be calling more practice sessions to whip up the team early for the Fiba tilt.

“We’re still in the familiarization stage,” Guiao said. “We’re trying to get as much in without bothering the teams playing in the quarterfinals.”

“But as the tournament gets closer, we have to go deeper into training. By February, there’ll be only four teams playing in PBA and six will have their players free.”

The team hopes to reach peak form in time for the Aug. 6-16 FIBA-Asia tournament in Tianjin, China - the qualifier for the 2010 World Championship in Istanbul, Turkey.

To get there, however, the PBA-backed national squad will have to go through the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tourney on April 2 to 6 - the same route taken by Chot Reyes’ RP team in 2007 to qualify for the Tokushima FIBA-Asia Championship, the regional elimination for the Beijing Olympics.

No official venue has been set for the SEABA tilt although the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, under telecommunications chief Manny V. Pangilinan, has signified its intention to host the event.

“As I’ve told the players, this is the time to do all family obligations, and to let all injuries heal. They should do all they need to do now so they can focus on their obligation to the team when tournament time comes,” Guiao said.

“We can be a little lenient with their schedule now. But as the tournament gets closer, we’ll be stricter with their attendance,” said Guiao.

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios, who attended the RP team’s first practice for 2009 along with league operations and technical chief Rickie Santos, said there are plans to send Guiao to a couple of scouting trips in Asia.

“Maybe that can be arranged since the team has very limited foreign exposure due to the tight PBA schedule,” Barrios said. “Para masilip rin niya yung mga magiging kalaban. Puwede niya sigurong subaybayan pag may tournaments doon.”

“Puwede siguro. After all, I have more time in my hands now,” said Guiao, who has resigned as Red Bull head coach a few days ago.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=429696&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

D_I_A
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Hard work about to begin for RP five
Journal
1/7/2009

The easy, free-flowing training road to the FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship will turn steep and arduous for the PBA-Philippine team three weeks from now.

National coach Yeng Guiao announced during Monday’s resumption of team practice at The Arena in San Juan that he will be calling two or three two-hour sessions beginning February – maybe even by the last week of January.

“We’re still in the familiarization stage,” Guiao said. “We’re trying to get as much in without bothering the teams playing in the quarterfinals.

“But as the tournament gets closer, we have to go deeper into training. At saka by February, apat na lang ang naglalaro sa PBA. Six teams will have their players free.”

The August 6-16 FIBA-Asia tournament in Tianjin, China – qualifying competition for the 2010 World Championship in Istanbul – is the target of Guiao’s preparation.

To get there, however, the PBA-backed national squad will have to go through the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tourney on April 2 to 6 – the same route taken by Chot Reyes’ RP team in 2007 to qualify for the Tokushima FIBA-Asia Championship, the regional elimination for the Beijing Olympics.

No official venue has been set for the SEABA tiff although the Sama-hang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, under telecommunications czar Manny V. Pangilinan, is reportedly putting up a bid for its staging.

“As I’ve told the players, this is the time to do all family obligations, and to let all injuries heal. Gawin na nilang lahat ng dapat nilang gawin ngayon so they can focus on their obligation to the team when tournament time comes,” Guiao said.

“We can be a little lenient with their schedule now. But as the tournament gets closer, we’ll be stricter with attendance.”

PBA commissioner Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios, who attended the RP team’s first practice for 2009 along with league operations and technical chief Rickie Santos, said, meanwhile, that plans are afoot to send Guiao on a couple of scouting trips within Asia.

“Puwede siguro. After all, I have more time in my hands now,” said Guiao, who announced his resignation as Red Bull head coach a few days ago.

The_Big_Cat
01-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Towering Japeth still needs to earn slot in RP team – coach Guiao
01/07/2009 | 07:06 PM
GMANEWS.TV

MANILA, Philippines – It doesn’t mean that just because Japeth Aguilar is tall and he has been exposed to US NCAA Division I basketball he has a slot reserved for him on the RP national team.

Aguilar still has to earn his spot.

“Based on the few times that I’ve seen him play with Ateneo before, (Japeth) has promise," national coach Yeng Guiao said on Monday. “Right now, we’re not sure how he’s developed and that’s what we want to see. The tryouts will serve as our first look at what he can do."

Guiao has spoken to Aguilar’s father, former pro Peter Aguilar, and both agreed that the Western Kentucky U play will arrive in May after he graduates. Aguilar, 23, is in his senior year as a Hilltopper

Aguilar will give the Nationals ceiling and at six-foot-10, will be the tallest on the squad. Asi Taulava is currently the tallest at six-foot-nine followed by Mick Pennisi (six-foot-seven).

“With the constant exposure he had playing for a Division I school in the US, I’m sure he can bring something to the team," Guiao said.

“Kung isasama namin siya sa team, sa FIBA-Asia tournament na siya lalaro dahil hindi siya aabot sa SEABA (South East Asian Basketball Association)," he added. The Fiba-Asia championship is in August in China. The SEABA, the qualifying tournament for the Fiba-Asia event, is in April.

CrossOver
01-08-2009, 12:54 AM
By Ramil Cruz

Mula sa papetik-petik lang dating paghahanda ng bansa sa 25th FIBA Asia Championship for Men sa darating na Agosto 6-16 sa Tianjin, China, darako na ito sa maabala at mahirap na yugto para sa PBA-Phi*lippine Team tatlong linggo magmula ngayon.
Isiniwalat kahapon ni national coach Joseller ‘Yeng’ Guiao sa pagpapatuloy ng praktis ng koponan na una sa taong ito sa The Arena sa San Juan City na magpapatawag na siya ng ensayo nang dalawa hanggang tatlong sesyon kada linggo umpisa sa Pebrero o maski sa huling linggo pa lamang ng buwang ito.
“We’re still in the fami*liarization stage,” banggit ng 49-anyos na si Guiao, kabibitiw lang na head coach din ng Red Bull Energy Drink sa professional league. “We’re trying to get as much in without bothering the teams playing in the quarterfinals.
1.“But as the tournament gets closer, we have to go deeper into training. At saka by February, apat na lang ang naglalaro sa PBA. Six teams will have their players free.”
Ang nakatakdang FIBA (International Basketball Federation) Asia hoopfest na qualifying tournament sa 16th World Men’s Basketball Championships sa Agosto 23 hanggang Setyembre 5, 2010 sa Istanbul, Turkey ang pinagpepreparahan ng hukbo ni Guiao.
Subalit bago makapag*laro roon, ang binabalikat ng Philippine Basketball Association na koponan ay kailangang pumasa muna sa 8th South East Asia Basketball Association Men’s Championship sa Abril 2-6 na planong pagkaabalahan ni Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manuel Pangilinan dito.
Naghari noong 2007 ang RP 5 na ginigiyahan ni coach Vincent Reyes sa SEABA sa Ratchaburi, Thailand upang mag-qualify sa 2007 FIBA Asia sa Tokushima, Japan kung saan pumangsyam lang rito para sumablay sa 29th Summer Olympic Games sa Beijing, China noong isang taon.
“As I’ve told the players, this is the time to do all family obligations, and to let all injuries heal. Gawin na nilang lahat ng dapat nilang gawin ngayon so they can focus on their obligation to the team when tournament time comes,” wika ni Guiao.
Binanggit naman ni PBA commissioner Renauld Barrios, na dumalo sa ensayo kasama ang puno ng operasyon at teknikal sa liga na si Ricardo Santos, Jr., na planong bigyan ng mga biyahe si Guiao sa Asya para makilatis ang mga karibal.
“Maybe that can be arranged since the team has very limited foreign exposure due to the tight PBA schedule,” hayag ni Barrios. “Para masilip din niya yung mga magiging kalaban. Puwede niya sigurong subaybayan pag may tournaments doon.”

ABANTE-Tonite (http://www.abante-tonite.com/issue/jan0709/sports_story6.htm)

D_I_A
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Guiao tests team in Seaba Champions Cup
Malaya
1/14/2009

NATIONAL coach Joseller ‘Yeng’ Guiao plans to use the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tournament in April as a gauge to measure his team’s chemistry and camaraderie rather than its readiness to go to war.
He is also seeking information, for scouting purposes, from the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas on the teams that will compete in the SEABA Champions Cup, also three months from now.

"I don’t think we’ll be 100 percent in the SEABA," Guiao said during practice Monday at The Arena in San Juan.

"After all, di naman siya kasing-competitive noong tournament sa August. We’ll be using it as a tool to get the team together, as a bonding experience with a chance to play competitively."

The SEABA tourney, to be played at a still undetermined location, is the qualifying tournament for the August FIBA-Asia Championship in Tianjin, China, which in turn will pick the region’s representatives to the World Championship in Istanbul next year.

Eight players showed up for the sixth day of practice since the team was formed last year, and three of them–Willie Miller and Sonny Thoss of Alaska and San Miguel Beer’s Mick Pennisi–sat out the 20-minute walk-through offense because of the impending best-of-seven semifinal series in the PBA Philippine Cup.

The Aces are facing the Sta. Lucia Realtors, where RP team candidates Kelly Williams and Ryan Reyes play for, while the Beermen battle the Talk N Text Tropang Texters, who have Ranidel de Ocampo and rookie Jared Dillinger in the lineup.

Guiao managed, nonetheless, to put in quality minutes with the five players he was left to work with: James Yap, Cyrus Baguio, Asi Taulava, Gabe Norwood and Jayjay Helterbrand.

"I can understand the problem of completing the team at the moment," Guiao said. "But in two or three weeks time, a good number of these guys will be available, full-time."

The simplicity of his system, Guiao said, makes prolonged periods of training unnecessary.

"I’m not worried about them getting the hang of the system," he said. "Since it requires minimal time and effort. I just have to put them in a structure and their talent will take over."

Scouting the opposition all over the region is "not a priority," the RP coach said, adding, however, that if the SBP can furnish him details of the field in the SEABA Champions Cup, then a trip might be arranged.

D_I_A
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Guiao says Seaba to gauge RP team chemistry
Daily Tribune
01/14/2009

National coach Joseller “Yeng” Guiao plans to use the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) tournament in April as a gauge to measure his team’s chemistry and camaraderie rather than its readiness to go to war.

He is also seeking information, for scouting purposes, from the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) on the teams that will compete in the Seaba Champions Cup, also three months from now.

“I don’t think we’ll be a hundred percent in the Seaba,” Guiao said during practice Monday at The Arena in San Juan.

“After all, di naman siya kasing-competitive noong tournament sa August. We’ll be using it as a tool to get the team together, as a bonding experience with a chance to play competitively.”

The Seaba tourney — to be played at a still undetermined location — is the qualifying tournament for the August FIBA-Asia Championship in Tianjin, China, which in turn will pick the region’s representatives to the World Championship in Istanbul next year.

Eight players showed up for the sixth day of practice since the team was formed last year, and three of them — Willie Miller and Sonny Thoss of Alaska and San Miguel Beer’s Mick Pennisi — sat out the 20-minute walk-through offense because of the impending best-of-seven semifinal series in the PBA Philippine Cup.

The Aces are facing the Sta. Lucia Realtors, where RP team candidates Kelly Williams and Ryan Reyes play for, while the Beermen battle the Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters, who have Ranidel de Ocampo and rookie Jared Dillinger in the lineup.

Guiao managed, nonetheless, to put in quality minutes with the five

players he was left to work with — James Yap, Cyrus Baguio, Asi Taulava, Gabe Norwood and Jayjay Helterbrand.

“I can understand the problem of completing the team at the moment,” Guiao said. “But in two or three weeks time, a good number of these guys will be available, full time.”

“I’m not worried about them getting the hang of the system,” he said, “since it requires minimal time and effort. I just have to put them in a structure and their talent will take over.”

Scouting the opposition all over the region is “not a priority,” the RP coach said, adding, however, that if the SBP can furnish him details of the field in the Seaba Champions Cup, then a trip might be arranged.

“If the teams we will be playing against (in the FIBA Asia) will be there, then I can probably scout that tournament,” Guiao said.

D_I_A
01-14-2009, 12:51 AM
SEABA gagamiting sukatan
Abante
1/14/2009

Plano ni National coach Yeng Guiao na gamitin ang Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) tournament sa Abril bilang sukatan sa chemistry at pagkakaisa ng koponan.

Humihingi rin siya ng impormasyon sa Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) ukol sa mga teams na sasabak sa SEABA Champions Cup, tatlong buwan mula ngayon, para sa scouting.

“I don’t think we’ll be a hundred percent in the SEABA,” ani Guiao sa team practice noong Lunes sa The Arena sa San Juan.

“After all, di naman siya kasing-competitive noong tournament sa August. We’ll be using it as a tool to get the team together, as a bonding experience with a chance to play competitively.”

Ang SEABA tourney - na hindi pa pinal ang lugar na pagdarausan - ang nagsisilbing qualifying tournament para sa FIBA-Asia Championship sa Tianjin, China sa Agosto. Dito naman pipiliin ang kakatawan sa rehiyon sa World Championship sa Istanbul sa susunod na taon.

Walong players ang dumalo sa ikaanim na araw ng practice mula nang mabuo ang squad noong isang taon, ngunit ang tatlo sa mga ito - sina Willie Miller at Sonny Thoss ng Alaska at si San Miguel Beer bigman Mick Pennisi - ay hindi sumalang sa 20-minute walk-through offense dahil kailangan nilang magpahinga para sa best-of-seven semifinal series ng kani-kanilang mga koponan sa lumalargang PBA Philippine Cup.

Haharapin ng Aces ang Sta. Lucia Realtors, kung saan naglalaro si RP team candidates Kelly Williams at Ryan Reyes, habang ang Beermen ay makakatunggali ang Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters, na binabandera ng mga Nationals na sina Ranidel de Ocampo at rookie Jared Dillinger.

Sinulit naman ni Guiao ang paggamit sa kanyang nalalabing limang manlalaro - na sina James Yap, Cyrus Baguio, Asi Taulava, Gabe Norwood at Jayjay Helterbrand.

“I can understand the problem of completing the team at the moment,” sambit ni Guiao. “But in two or three weeks time, a good number of these guys will be available, full time.”

Ang pagiging payak ng kanyang sistema, ayon Guiao, ang dahilan kung bakit hindi na nila kailangan ang mahabang oras sa ensayo.

“I’m not worried about them getting the hang of the system,” aniya pa, “since it requires minimal time and effort. I just have to put them in a structure and their talent will take over.”