View Full Version : Marlon Basco: First Liga Pilipinas MVP
si marlon basco na ba ang league MVP or finals mvp lang??
09-24-2008, 07:22 AM
MARLON BASCO: THE FIRST LIGA PILIPINAS MVP
* * *HE was not around to relish his personal and his team’s moment of basketball history.* Cebu Ninos center Marlon Basco was named as the very first Most Valuable Player of Liga Pilipinas, after his team swept the best-of-five championship series against the Taguig Batang Global last September 18 at the C. P. Tinga Memorial Hall in Taguig City.
* * *Yet, the achievement would never be taken away from the lanky 6’5” player.* Basco averaged 11.1 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.2 blocks en route to taking home the coveted plum and being forever etched in the annals of Philippine basketball history, the answer to the trivia question.
* * *Tragedy beset him in Game Two of The Finals wherein he rolled his ankle five minutes into the action, sidelining him for the balance of the contest with a measly three points and two rebounds.* The medics at courtside quickly iced his ankle to prevent further swelling.* Upon waking up the following morning, he experienced great pain in his ankle prompting him to forego the trip to Taguig City for Game Three.
* * *However, Basco had already amassed enough statistics to assure himself of the individual honor.* A superlative performance in the semifinal series against the Lipa-Batangas Barakos more or less sealed the deal for Basco.* He averaged a double-double of 13.0 points and 12.3 rebounds plus 1.3 blocks over the four games, allowing him to pull away from teammates and fellow MVP candidates Bruce Dacia and Mark Ababon.
* * *Earlier in the season, Basco was named as the MVP of the Pagadian City Leg.* The Ninos under Coach Yayoy Alcoseba swept all four legs they joined to top the Tour Standings with 49 out of 52 possible points on top of a league-best 17-3 win-loss card.* The Ninos’ three other leg wins came in Ilocos Sur, Iloilo and at home in Cebu.
* * *The 30-year old Basco recently marked his first year with the Ninos, signing with the storied franchise last September in time for the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association (MVBA) Second Conference.
* * *Prior to that, Basco was coming off a two-year stint with the Ozamiz Cotta of the rival National Basketball Conference (NBC).* The MVBA has since merged with the NBC to form Liga Pilipinas.
* * *Basco’s basketball resume includes professional stints with the PBA’s Barangay Ginebra from 2001 to 2002 and 2004-2005 and the MBA’s Iloilo Megavoltz from 1999 to 2000.* He has also played in the PBL for Hapee-Ateneo and Montana Pawnshop.
* * *His basketball travels began at an early age.* After playing in the UAAP Juniors with the University of the East Pages, Basco traveled all the way up north to Dagupan City in Pangasinan to enroll and play at Luzon College (now the University of Luzon).* At the age of 20, he signed a pro contract with the Megavoltz.
* * *Because of his sterling play with M. Lhuillier, Basco received offers as early as last year to return to the PBA.* He politely turned them down, choosing to stay with the Michel Lhuillier-owned team.* Apparently, Basco has found a home with the Cebu Ninos as he aims to lead them to back-to-back Liga Pilipinas crowns this coming November.
09-24-2008, 07:33 AM
09-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Definitely he will be going back to PBA.
09-24-2008, 09:13 PM
as of now, I can't see him going back to the PBA. he's getting older and the PBA is getting taller and younger. he will be shackled by the youngsters. Even Philip Butel and Melvin Mamaclay can give him a good fight.
10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
hindi sya nabigyan ng break during his stint on BGK..
sana bumalik ulit..
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.5 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.