PDA

View Full Version : No CESAFI in Champions League: Go to Hell Tiukinhoy

sajubeads
09-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Cebu schools break away
By Peter Atencio
www.manilastandardtoday.com

THE Cebu Schools Association Foundation has formally broken away from the Manny Pangilinan-led Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Inc.

The Cesafi, one of the 21 groups represented in the BAP-SBP Board following its elections on June 12 at the Dusit Thani Hotel in Makati City, actually has decided to adopt a “neutral stance” since June 19, seven days after the elections, during its own board meeting in Cebu City.

Cesafi is the biggest collegiate athletic association in Cebu province and counts as its members top college teams Southwestern University and University of Visayas, among others.

League commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy said Cesafi based its decision to adopt a “wait-and-see” stance on the report of the association’s representative and legal counsel Baldomero Estenzo, who attended the elections in Makati and was named as a member of the board of trustees.

But yesterday, Tiukinhoy said the Cesafi, which has 11 member-schools, mostly based in Cebu City, is formally severing its ties with Pangilinan’s group after a Manila Regional Trial court judge declared the BAP-SBP group of Pangilinan as “null and void.”

Tiukinhoy said the Cesafi is now legally obligated to support the BAP-SBP faction of Camarines Sur Rep. Luis Villafuerte and former Surigao Rep. Prospero “Butch” Pichay.

“The league is not after following personalities, but the rule of law,” said Tiukinhoy, who added that the Cesafi board of trustees is set to formalize its stand.

Last Sept. 3, Manila RTC Judge Antonio Eugenio, in a 21-page decision, nullified the election of Pangilinan as president of the BAP-SBP Inc. and Misamis Oriental Gov. Oscar Moreno as its chairman and directed its officers “cease and desist” from acting as its officers and to “turn over the affairs of the organization to Villafuerte and Pichay’s group

D_I_A
09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Cebu schools break away
By Peter Atencio
www.manilastandardtoday.com

THE Cebu Schools Association Foundation has formally broken away from the Manny Pangilinan-led Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Inc.

The Cesafi, one of the 21 groups represented in the BAP-SBP Board following its elections on June 12 at the Dusit Thani Hotel in Makati City, actually has decided to adopt a “neutral stance” since June 19, seven days after the elections, during its own board meeting in Cebu City.

Cesafi is the biggest collegiate athletic association in Cebu province and counts as its members top college teams Southwestern University and University of Visayas, among others.

League commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy said Cesafi based its decision to adopt a “wait-and-see” stance on the report of the association’s representative and legal counsel Baldomero Estenzo, who attended the elections in Makati and was named as a member of the board of trustees.

But yesterday, Tiukinhoy said the Cesafi, which has 11 member-schools, mostly based in Cebu City, is formally severing its ties with Pangilinan’s group after a Manila Regional Trial court judge declared the BAP-SBP group of Pangilinan as “null and void.”

Tiukinhoy said the Cesafi is now legally obligated to support the BAP-SBP faction of Camarines Sur Rep. Luis Villafuerte and former Surigao Rep. Prospero “Butch” Pichay.

“The league is not after following personalities, but the rule of law,” said Tiukinhoy, who added that the Cesafi board of trustees is set to formalize its stand.

Last Sept. 3, Manila RTC Judge Antonio Eugenio, in a 21-page decision, nullified the election of Pangilinan as president of the BAP-SBP Inc. and Misamis Oriental Gov. Oscar Moreno as its chairman and directed its officers “cease and desist” from acting as its officers and to “turn over the affairs of the organization to Villafuerte and Pichay’s group

Magaling, magaling, magaling!
Ipako sa krus si tiukhoy na yan para mas magaling!

a_ron
09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Save Us From BAP

By Hidelito Pascual
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 12:11:00 02/01/2008

I honestly thought that the issue has been laid to rest when the Philippines was reinstated by the FIBA and the supposed recognition of the Samahang Basketball sa Pilipinas-Basketball Association of the Philippines as the official representative of Philippine Basketball.

Then came the recent brouhaha regarding the Zonal Eliminations for the National Students Basketball Championship which is being held through the auspices of the Basketball Association of the Philippines!

What?

So all this time this issue of representation continues to fester and the old BAP continues its non-recognition of the SBP-BAP in defiance of the mandate granted to the latter association by the FIBA.

I have heard of statements made that there is no legal prohibition for the BAP to continue conducting its own activities as a separate basketball organization.

Oh come on!

At the time when BAP was the governing sports association, were there tournaments in the magnitude of a zonal eliminations that was allowed without its official sanction?

Proof that another national association posturing to conduct tournaments in competition with the official governing body does not work is the recent confusion that local schools had to go through in deciding whether to participate in the Zonal Eliminations for the National Students Basketball Championships.

The Zonal Eliminations had to be scrapped when the CESAFI put down its foot and did not allow its member schools from participating in the BAP sponsored tournament.

The SBP-BAP may have actually contributed to the confusion because it seems that Lorenzo Chao Sy is an official of both SBP-BAP and BAP.

Is not there a conflict of interest somewhere considering that BAP continues to act in cross-purposes with SBP-BAP?

Considering that Chao Sy is a legitimate Regional Director of BAP while his being Provincial Director for SBP-BAP is I believe more of an accommodation, would not he give priority to BAP activities?

For the good of basketball, I recommend that this SBP-BAP against BAP issue should be closed with finality. Continuing with the fractious situation would only hinder the development of the sport from going on after the long lethargy that mired Philippine basketball in the pits.

One thing that could be done is for the basketball aficionados from humoring the BAP posturers so that they would lose any claim of legitimacy and credibility.

One justification that has been given is that the activities like the Zonal Elimination and the National Students Basketball Championship is supposed to cater to schools that are not members of the SBP-BAP.

Is it not that the more logical move is to bring these schools in to the fold of the recognized National Sports Association?

I am just wondering, how long ago did the BAP hold the last Zonal Eliminations and the National Intercollegiate Championships?

In fact the BAP had reneged on so many of its responsibilities, culminating in its organizational crisis which resulted in the suspension of the Philippines from FIBA.

Now that this issue of official representation has been resolved, and the major stakeholders of Philippine Basketball has cast their lot with SBP-BAP, the old BAP continues to hang on like a fester in the skin, probably hoping to cause great annoyance on the present well meaning leadership of SBP-BAP, and become the official ruling body once more by default.

Management experience has told us that compromise is not exactly the most desirable of results, because sometimes it does not exactly produce in a win-win situation.

The present SBP-BAP imbroglio is a good example of a compromise not working.

Win or no deal should have been what the SBP have insisted on so that the inglorious BAP would have been wiped out of the face of Philippine sports.

It is probably not too late yet.

For one, Cebu basketball should stop allowing BAP having inroads so that what would happen is that it would become an association of all officers and no followers.

Metro Manila and Cebu together accounts for over 90% of the core of Philippine basketball.

If BAP is relegated to the bush leagues, then it would just die like a weed in hot summer.

this colummm think says it all let us think what is good for the CESAFI..

pachador
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
They have some bonehead leaders in cesafi. why would they move to BAP on the basis of a trial couirt's decision when the SBP is still the recognized group of FIBA? Secondly, that legal decision is not yet final since it can still be appealed. it does not make sense. Logically,if i was the CESAFI leader, I would only leave SBP if FIBA recognized BAP instead of SBP. The CESAFI made a very hasty decision that does not reflect well on the thinking process of CESAFI's leader.I would not be surprised if the SBP leader did this because he is friends already with some of the BAP leaders , in which case, the decision, was based more on personality/friendship ties rather than what is best in relation to the overall picture.

maybe cesafi just wants to play with provincial leagues, then so be it. a very hasty decision that will only affect promising players like slaughter and fajardo.

Schortsanitis
09-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Oh, what money can buy. ;D

D_I_A
09-18-2008, 01:55 AM
The dumbest decision any captain can do..jump ship to a sinking ship!!!

How come Gullas, Lhuillier, Cabuhug and other basketball leaders in Cebu didn't even manage to check advances made by BAP in the CESAFI?

How much is your worth Mr. Tiukinhoy? Is it worth enough to bring Philippine basketball down to its mayhem days?

Down with the BAP!!!

Deport Graham Lim ASAP!!!

SBP don't yield to BAP!!!

sajubeads
09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Thadz, what do you think, would SBP not allow CESAFI teams in CCL or CESAFI will not allow its teams to play? That's then million dollar question. My guess is that teams in the final four will not heed with this posture of the CESAFI leaderships. I mean, the CCL is a big exposure for teams like UC, SWU, UV with the possibility of representing RP to the Uni Games. Even if these teams wont win the tournament , its still a big mileage and exposure for CEBU teasms to duke it out with NCAA, UAAP and other Manila teams. I even doubt if the pronouncement of Tiukinhoy is supported by the board members of CESAFI knowing that UV of Gullas is a staunched SBP supporter.

I do hope that the SBP leadership will handle this dilicate situation with utmost care. I guess it would be best to give BAP a dose of its own medicine. Let the Final 4 teams/ qualifier play in the spirits of sportmanship and basketball and if the CESAFI higher ups will not allow , then hope that possibly these teams will revolt against CESAFI and Tiukinhoy. Divide and rule strategy of BAP.

pachador
09-19-2008, 12:15 AM
there is another school league in cebu called VAAA by Yayoy alcoseba. the schools in CESAFI also play in VAAA.

I thought Senor Gullas owner of U.V. is a SBP supporter? will he launch a coup against tiuhinkoy? what do you think Thadz ?

sajubeads
09-19-2008, 08:40 AM
If CESAFI will nt let its team play in CCL, have the teams form VAAA to represent CEBU in CCL.

Besides mostly of the teams CESAFI are also members in VAAA lead by University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars , Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras , Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights, Don Bosco College (DBC) Greywolves.
and University of Visayas (UV Lancers). Other teams in VAAA are Salazar College of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers, Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings, Ormoc’s Western Leyte College (WLC), Holy Name University (HNU), Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC), Dumaguete City’s Silliman University (SU) and Foundation University (FU), and University of San Carlos (USC).

Halos lahat ng mga malalakas na team ng CESAFI is also a member of VAAA, except perhaps Univ of CEBU.

D_I_A
09-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Ano kaya balak nila Gullas, Alcoseba, Lhuillier and Cabahug?

thadzonline
09-30-2008, 11:48 PM
there is another school league in cebu called VAAA by Yayoy alcoseba. the schools in CESAFI also play in VAAA.

I thought Senor Gullas owner of U.V. is a SBP supporter? will he launch a coup against tiuhinkoy? what do you think Thadz ?

Gullas is a supporter of the good of Philippine basketball, that may not necessarily be SBP nor BAP..Maybe he thinks, the best way for us to move forward is still together, just me thinking aloud ;D

nastrans
10-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Hope we see a CESAFI representation in the PCCL regardless of their affliatiion, iba na din ang maexpose sa ganitong tournament.

CrossOver
10-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Open minded mga nasa SBP sigurado makakasali pa din mga team na mag qualify dito sa CESAFI favorite ko UV maganda kasi pinakita nitong team na to noong nakaraang taon.

thadzonline
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
There will be a problem here since many VAAA members are also participating in other regional qualifiers like the Bohol, Dumaguete and Leyte schools, so masisira yung format

durden_tyler
10-10-2008, 12:49 AM
According recent statements, Mr. Gamboa assured that the CESAFI will join the PCC despite the BAP-PCC tiff. We will see.

D_I_A
10-10-2008, 01:44 AM
According recent statements, Mr. Gamboa assured that the CESAFI will join the PCC despite the BAP-PCC tiff. We will see.

PR disaster sa CESAFI yan pag di sila sumali..

thadzonline
10-10-2008, 09:37 AM
The teams in Cebu(USC, USJ-R) are already preparing for the zonals...Yung UC might be tapped to host the Zone 3 games so baka makakasali din sila pero di ako sure kasi news says sasali din sila sa Unigames in Dumaguete

D_I_A
10-12-2008, 02:52 PM
The teams in Cebu(USC, USJ-R) are already preparing for the zonals...Yung UC might be tapped to host the Zone 3 games so baka makakasali din sila pero di ako sure kasi news says sasali din sila sa Unigames in Dumaguete

Unigames? Yung sa Ched ba ito?