PDA

View Full Version : Great King Cardinals

bydpogi
09-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Post naman yung greatest King Cardinal sa tingin nyo.

I'll start with Benny Cheng ;)

The last king Cardinal to give Mapua a championship that was way back in 1991, actually it was back to back. Hindi ko malimutan yung buzzer beater nya na nung mashoot nya eh parang gumuho ang ULTRA. ;D

Joescoundrel
09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Who could possibly be a greater Mapua Cardinal than four-time PBA MVP Alvin Patrimonio...?

st_ang3r
09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
alvin patrimonio...actually allan caidic wanted to be a cardinal eh payat siya nun and ayaw maging team b kaya lumipat siya sa UE...sayang noh?!

untamed
09-16-2008, 10:44 PM
reuben de la rosa is good during his prime in the 90's... iba dumakdak & leaping ability nung de la rosa. and especially with his rivalry with baste rodney santos....

The_Big_Cat
09-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Alfredo "Freddy" Hubalde, 1977 PBA MVP.
Fortunato "Atoy" Co, 1979 PBA MVP.
Alvin Patrimonio 1991, 1993, 1994 and 1997 PBA MVP

6 PBA MVP trophies, may tatalo pa ba sa mga players ng MAPUA CARDINALS.

bchoter
09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Leo Isaac was a pretty good player during his time. Outshone nga lang siya ng kakilala ko sa liga sa Proj. 6 :D

Emon74
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
after Cheng, dalawa lng natandaan ko sa cardinals, not entirely greats

patrick benedicto
chito victolero

Joescoundrel
10-18-2008, 08:32 PM
^ Isn't Chito Victolero on the San Beda coaching staff...? With that in mind I always presumed he was a Red Lion.

bluebruiser90
10-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Benny Cheng. If we base it on collegiate success. Prior to Benny Cheng's Cardinals, Mapua had the habit of winning the NCAA title every 16 years (1949, 1955, 1981) from their first title. Benny and company immediately put a stop to that tradition by winning back to back title in 1990 and 1991.

Alvin Patrimonio, Freddie Hubalde and Atoy Co, all former King Cardinals and PBA MVP's as well as members of the PBA's 25th Anniversary Team, had stellar careers in college but could just not win championships.

The_Big_Cat
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Leo Isaac ('81), Kevin Ramas ('90), Benny Cheng ('90 & '91) and Ruben Dela Rosa ('91) are the former King Cardinals that have won an NCAA crown.

They have also won at least a championship in their professional careers; Isaac with Ginebra, Ramas with Purefoods, Cheng with Ginebra and Dela Rosa with the Manila MetroStars in the MBA.

MonL
10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Benny Cheng. If we base it on collegiate success.* Prior to Benny Cheng's Cardinals, Mapua had the habit of winning the NCAA title every 16 years (1949, 1955, 1981) from their first title.* Benny and company immediately put a stop to that tradition by winning back to back title in 1990 and 1991.

Alvin Patrimonio, Freddie Hubalde and Atoy Co, all former King Cardinals and PBA MVP's as well as members of the PBA's 25th Anniversary Team, had stellar careers in college but could just not win championships.

That's probably because they had to carry the team mostly by themselves, having lacked a noted sidekick or adequate help on all other positions. Cheng had lots of help during that two-year MIT reign.

Joel Banal was the next King Cardinal after Hubalde, but he didnt have much help as well. Romy Mamaril was not that dominant in college, and a young Leo Isaac and center Jango Arce were but two who were good players but could not help Banal make the Cardinals more than a middle-of-the-pack team when ranged against powerhouses SBC, LaSalle and Letran.

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 06:55 AM

patrick benedicto
chito victolero

Hi Emon 74. I just want to update you of the 1991 Cards roster.

Guards:
LEMEN
TOPACIO
RAMOS
NICOLAS
RUTIA (Deceased)
MARIANO (Deceased)
RONQUILLO
DELA TORRE

Forwards
ALCANTARA
EVANGELISTA
CHENG
SO
BALTAZAR
ABAD
DELA ROSA

If you noticed we don't have a Center. That's the secret of this team. A running and defensive team. Almost made it three peat in 92 but unluckily had problems in grading system of the school. 93 was still a contender with the acquisition of Jay Mendoza of San Sebastian but went for nothing due to problems again in grades. Till we chat again. Thanks. Bye for now.

LION
10-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Are you Winchester Lemen? Welcome to gameface.

Please no more update of the 1991 Cards lineup. We are still trying to forget that chapter in the history of the Red Lions. ;D

Seriously, your contributions are welcome anytime. Keep on posting.

The_Big_Cat
10-21-2008, 09:25 AM

patrick benedicto
chito victolero

Guards:
LEMEN
TOPACIO
RAMOS
NICOLAS
RUTIA (Deceased)
MARIANO (Deceased)
RONQUILLO
DELA TORRE

Forwards
ALCANTARA
EVANGELISTA
CHENG
SO
BALTAZAR
ABAD
DELA ROSA

If you noticed we don't have a Center. That's the secret of this team. A running and defensive team. Almost made it three peat in 92 but unluckily had problems in grading system of the school. 93 was still a contender with the acquisition of Jay Mendoza of San Sebastian but went for nothing due to problems again in grades. Till we chat again. Thanks. Bye for now.

Anak ng tinapay! Ikaw pala si Lemen, the streak shooting left-hander.
Welcome to Gameface.

In the Game 3 of the 1991 Finals, while Boybits Victoria was whooping it up with his slam dunks in the warm-ups, Lemen would provide the Mapua gallery a sideshow with his 3-pt shooting routine. At one point Lemen hit 10 straight 3s in the warm-ups.

Si Ronquillo, may tawag kami sa kanya everytime he touches the ball. ;D
Another sideshow ay yung sipaan nila Gary Topacio at Boybits during the Finals.

MonL
10-21-2008, 10:23 AM
^^^And you got an appropriate first name for such a shooter: Winchester.

Welcome to gameface, though I believe we've met at PEx.

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM

patrick benedicto
chito victolero

Guards:
LEMEN
TOPACIO
RAMOS
NICOLAS
RUTIA (Deceased)
MARIANO (Deceased)
RONQUILLO
DELA TORRE

Forwards
ALCANTARA
EVANGELISTA
CHENG
SO
BALTAZAR
ABAD
DELA ROSA

Anak ng tinapay! Ikaw pala si Lemen, the streak shooting left-hander.
Welcome to Gameface.

In the Game 3 of the 1991 Finals, while Boybits Victoria was whooping it up with his slam dunks in the warm-ups, Lemen would provide the Mapua gallery a sideshow with his 3-pt shooting routine. At one point Lemen hit 10 straight 3s in the warm-ups.

Si Ronquillo, may tawag kami sa kanya everytime he touches the ball.* ;D
Another sideshow ay yung sipaan nila Gary Topacio at Boybits during the Finals.

Hi Bigcat. It's nice to see you guys here in this forum. i am actually logging in to another forum. Anyway, thank you for accepting me here. Somebody emailed me and suggested that I go online here. Well, i guess there's a lot to talk about here. Congratulations guys. I miss those days though....

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Hi MonL. I believe so. Thanks so much for accepting me here. How's everything here? i hope I am not too late for all the discussions here.

MonL
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM

Hi MonL. I believe so. Thanks so much for accepting me here. How's everything here? i hope I am not too late for all the discussions here.

Nope. It's never too late. We rarely have contributions from those who played the game at a high level.* You are definitely welcome here. And this is your turf to run.

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM

Please no more update of the 1991 Cards lineup. We are still trying to forget that chapter in the history of the Red Lions.* ;D*

Yes, I am. How's Boybits now? We bumped on each other one time in the PBA. We hired the services of his brother, Bing, in one of the PBL days of my boss. Anyway, I don't want to imply anything with *my quote. Just wanted to enumerate and re instate the unsung heroes of NCAA during the 1991 finals. So much for that, where are you connected now LION? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks and bye for now.

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Nope. It's never too late. We rarely have contributions from those who played the game at a high level.* You are definitely welcome here. And this is your turf to run.

Thanks a lot.

LION
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Please no more update of the 1991 Cards lineup. We are still trying to forget that chapter in the history of the Red Lions.* ;D*

Yes, I am. How's Boybits now? We bumped on each other one time in the PBA. We hired the services of his brother, Bing, in one of the PBL days of my boss. Anyway, I don't want to imply anything with *my quote. Just wanted to enumerate and re instate the unsung heroes of NCAA during the 1991 finals. So much for that, where are you connected now LION? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks and bye for now.

Boybits is doing fine. Still connected with the game he loves. *

I was just joking re your update of the King Cards. On the contrary, *we welcome the updates especially if it comes from you who played the game and was part of that historic event. *The impact of that series to my generation is so great that we haven't forgotten the MIT players who were responsible for our setback. *;D *

But a lot of things happened since then. Benny Cheng became one of my favorite players in the PBA because of his never-say-die type of play. Chito Victolero was part of the Red Lions championship team in 2006 as assistant coach under Koy Banal. Our Red Cubs, i.e., Rodel Ranises, TG Guillermo and Kevin Espinosa became Cardinals, and we are happy where they are now knowing that MIT can provide them with top quality education and a good basketball program to hone their talents.

Hoping our respective schools will meet again in the finals. *Cheers!

The_Big_Cat
10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Bigcat. It's nice to see you guys here in this forum. i am actually logging in to another forum. Anyway, thank you for accepting me here. Somebody emailed me and suggested that I go online here. Well, i guess there's a lot to talk about here. Congratulations guys. I miss those days though....

Parang nakita kita sa PABL noon with Gary Topacio and Teddy Alamares sa TECHNOGAS team?

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Parang nakita kita sa PABL noon with Gary Topacio and Teddy Alamares sa TECHNOGAS team?

Bigcat, I think you saw me once when i was practicing. I only played for Red Bull and Springmaid. I never saw action in Tecnogas team. Btw, are you from Iloilo? I am now here in Davao and have my small business here. Anything in mind? I am into recycling and selling plastic products. Check on my website maybe you have something in mind that we can do. I can sell my products there in your place and have you as my point person. Thanks.

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 11:48 AM

Boybits is doing fine. Still connected with the game he loves. *

I was just joking re your update of the King Cards. On the contrary, *we welcome the updates especially if it comes from you who played the game and was part of that historic event. *The impact of that series to my generation is so great that we haven't forgotten the MIT players who were responsible for our setback. *;D *

But a lot of things happened since then. Benny Cheng became one of my favorite players in the PBA because of his never-say-die type of play. Chito Victolero was part of the Red Lions championship team in 2006 as assistant coach under Koy Banal. Our Red Cubs, i.e., Rodel Ranises, TG Guillermo and Kevin Espinosa became Cardinals, and we are happy where they are now knowing that MIT can provide them with top quality education and a good basketball program to hone their talents.

Hoping our respective schools will meet again in the finals. *Cheers!

Lion, I hope so so we can relive those memories during my time and yours. Anyway, I will keep on posting. Thanks.

bydpogi
10-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Whoa!! Mr.Lefty in the house!! The Left handed version of Jolas ;D Welcome to Gameface Mr.Lemen!!!

Emon74
10-21-2008, 05:04 PM

patrick benedicto
chito victolero

Guards:
LEMEN
TOPACIO
RAMOS
NICOLAS
RUTIA (Deceased)
MARIANO (Deceased)
RONQUILLO
DELA TORRE

Forwards
ALCANTARA
EVANGELISTA
CHENG
SO
BALTAZAR
ABAD
DELA ROSA

Tnx, never thought some of them are deceased, anyway from what i've gathered ilan pa sa mga Mapua players I had now in my lists.

Marcelino Olano
Oscar Cabrera
Oliver Marasigan
Roderico Guilbuena
John Bernales
James Tuazon
Ringo Jimenez

yes, in 1992 sayang di naka three peat ang Mapua, I think it was eventually champion Letran who ousted your school from the finals race.

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Whoa!! Mr.Lefty in the house!! The Left handed version of Jolas ;D Welcome to Gameface Mr.Lemen!!!

Hi Bydpogi. Thanks for the invitation. It's nice to see you guys here. How are you?

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Tnx, never thought some of them are deceased, anyway from what i've gathered ilan pa sa mga Mapua players I had now in my lists.

Marcelino Olano
Oscar Cabrera
Oliver Marasigan
Roderico Guilbuena
John Bernales
James Tuazon
Ringo Jimenez

yes, in 1992 sayang di naka three peat ang Mapua, I think it was eventually champion Letran who ousted your school from the finals race.

Actually I was a member also of 1990 also but was benched by Joel Banal so he can still used me fresh for 5 years. Anyway, something went wrong along the way i guess.

Members of the 1990 champion team are:

Benny Cheng
Boogie Olaņo
Oca Cabrera
Gary Topacio
Chester Lemen
Randy Alcantara
Reynold So
Reuben Dela Rosa
Kevin Ramas
Bong Marasigan
Ej Madrid
Neri Ronquillo
Mario Santos
Manny Baltazar

LEMEN
10-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Marcelino Olano
Oscar Cabrera
Oliver Marasigan
Roderico Guilbuena
John Bernales
James Tuazon
Ringo Jimenez

Actually I was a member also of 1990 also but was benched by Joel Banal so he can still used me fresh for 5 years. Anyway, something went wrong along the way i guess.

Members of the 1990 champion team are:

Benny Cheng
Boogie Olaņo
Oca Cabrera
Gary Topacio
Chester Lemen
Randy Alcantara
Reynold So
Reuben Dela Rosa
Kevin Ramas
Bong Marasigan
Ej Madrid
Neri Ronquillo
Mario Santos
Manny Baltazar

I forgot pala Thaddy Ramos.

all 15 are in. thanks.

bluebruiser90
10-22-2008, 12:07 AM
^Hello Rifleman.

I was acquaintances with some of the guys you played with at Mapua.

Played with Kevin, Benny and Bong in a summer league in BF Paranaque. I remember picking up Kevin at the Philippine Star offices at the Port Area after pne of their practices with the company team. If I'm not mistaken, the core of the Mapua team including Coach Joel was "borrowed" for a number of inter-company tournaments. Even met Coach Joel once. Kevin and I would bump into each other a number of times over the years and would still exhange pleasantries.

I got to play with Boogie in a Bicolano inter-association tournament held in San Beda. Everybody who didn't knew him would just reder to or call him "Bobby Parks" because of the perceived physical resemblance.

In the mid-90's I got to play with and became good friends with ex-Cardinals John Bernales, Eric Abdullah and George Baltazar when we were playing for the Philippine Navy Basketball Team. They were all brought to the Navy by another one time Cardinal, Peter Tioseco. Eric is now working in a call center while John and George are with regular service of the Philippine Navy (George is a Navy Leutenant, Army Captain equivalent, the last time I spoke to him).

Great to read your stories. Hope to bump into you more in the threads.

LEMEN
10-22-2008, 08:17 AM
^Hello Rifleman.

I was acquaintances with some of the guys you played with at Mapua.*

Played with Kevin, Benny and Bong in a summer league in BF Paranaque. I remember picking up Kevin at the Philippine Star offices at the Port Area after pne of their practices with the company team. If I'm not mistaken, the core of the Mapua team including Coach Joel was "borrowed" for a number of inter-company tournaments.* Even met Coach Joel once. Kevin and I would bump into each other a number of times over the years and would still exhange pleasantries.

I got to play with Boogie in a Bicolano inter-association tournament held in San Beda.* Everybody who didn't knew him would just reder to or call him "Bobby Parks" because of the perceived physical resemblance.

In the mid-90's I got to play with and became good friends with ex-Cardinals John Bernales, Eric Abdullah and George Baltazar when we were playing for the Philippine Navy Basketball Team. They were all brought to the Navy by another one time Cardinal, Peter Tioseco.* Eric is now working in a call center while John and George are with regular service of the Philippine Navy (George is a Navy Leutenant, Army Captain equivalent, the last time I spoke to him).

Great to read your stories.* Hope to bump into you more in the threads.

Hi Blue bruiser. How come we did not meet there in Philippine Navy? I was ahead of John by 1year and same batch with George. Anyway maybe those were the days when I am pre occupied with my other course in V Luna Hospital for MAC course. So much stories you have there with the Ex cards. You must be good in playing ahrd ball during your peak days. I hope we bump into each other someday. Maybe if i visit Manila one of these days. i am based now in Davao and have my own small business here. Check out my website maybe you have something in mind that we can do business with. www.redwoodlogistics.net , good memories from your college days huh. bye for now.

bluebruiser90
10-23-2008, 01:25 AM
^

Medyo may kulang na info yung post ko Chester.

I actuall played for only two years and officially got out before you came in. I was with the batch that included Donking Sasuman and Django Rivera (1995). The Navy was just a temporary thing. A way for me to scratch my itch to play competitive ball while doing other things with my life. And it got complicated. Didn't really sign up to be a soldier boy. Just to play some hoops. Plus real life got int he way as I was already a senior in law school at the Ateneo when I got my enlistment and passed the bar before the end of my term. I was invited to join the NJAG and seriously considered it as my Dad was a former Navy officer but I decided to pursue a different career path.

We probably bumped into each other a couple of times (and even probably properly introduced) as I would still pop in once in a while during the practices to get a good run. This was around 1998-99 already. I played a bit more pick-up ames later between 2001-2004 (and hanged around with the boys more of course) just to get into shape and the Navy team was always a good place to get a great game going. I was running my own business then and had more time to burn. On my level of play, I just had enough. Nothing like you guys of course.

Lots of great memories with the Mapua boys and have made a lot of real good friends.

I'll tell Pet that I bumped into you in the threads. We still meet up on a regular basis.

Regards.

LEMEN
10-23-2008, 02:11 PM
^

Medyo may kulang na info yung post ko Chester.

I actuall played for only two years and officially got out before you came in.* I was with the batch that included Donking Sasuman and Django Rivera (1995).* The Navy was just a temporary thing. A way for me to scratch my itch to play competitive ball while doing other things with my life.* And it got complicated.* Didn't really sign up to be a soldier boy.* Just to play some hoops.* Plus real life got int he way as I was already a senior in law school at the Ateneo when I got my enlistment and passed the bar before the end of my term.* I was invited to join the NJAG and seriously considered it as my Dad was a former Navy officer but I decided to pursue a different career path.

We probably bumped into each other a couple of times (and even probably properly introduced) as I would* still pop in once in a while during the practices to get a good run.* This was around 1998-99 already. I played a bit more pick-up ames later between 2001-2004 (and hanged around with the boys more of course) just to get into shape and the Navy team was always a good place to get a great game going.* I was running my own business then and had more time to burn.* On my level of play, I just had enough. Nothing like you guys of course.

Lots of great memories with the Mapua boys and have made a lot of real good friends.*

I'll tell Pet that I bumped into you in the threads. We still meet up on a regular basis.

Regards.

Wow. You have a very colorful life. Anyway, its nice to bump you here also. Btw, Did you do scrimmages for boxing in Navy? Just curious.
Say my regards to Pet also.

bluebruiser90
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
^Yup. I sparred and trained with the Philppine Navy Boxing Team. Regular sparmates ko yung malalaki nila.* Middleweight pataas. Karamihan dun nasa TEAM PHILIPPINES pa.* Sumasabay din ako minsan sa TEAM PHILIPPINES pag nasa Rizal sila.* Been boxing since 2001.* Baka nga nakita mo na akong nagtrain with the Navy boxing team.* Mas regular ako sa boxing. Trained everyday. Minsan nga twice a day pa.

I'm not hard to miss also. I'm 6'2", 230 lbs. I'm almost the same body type as John. Big target. ;D

LEMEN
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
^Yup. I sparred and trained with the Philppine Navy Boxing Team. Regular sparmates ko yung malalaki nila.* Middleweight pataas. Karamihan dun nasa TEAM PHILIPPINES pa.* Sumasabay din ako minsan sa TEAM PHILIPPINES pag nasa Rizal sila.* Been boxing since 2001.* Baka nga nakita mo na akong nagtrain with the Navy boxing team.* Mas regular ako sa boxing. Trained everyday. Minsan nga twice a day pa.

I'm not hard to miss also. I'm 6'2", 230 lbs. I'm almost the same body type as John. Big target.* ;D

I think I know you already. Anyway, Mr. Springsteen, Have a nice day pare. I hope I'm right.

bchoter
10-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Commercial break: 6'6", 230 lbs.... bluebruiser buti nalang hindi ka obnoxious poster. Kasi baka pag nairita ako sa iyo at hamunin kita ng basagan ng mukha. Baka pinagtatagpi tagpi na ngayon ang maamo kong mukha... :D

bluebruiser90
11-01-2008, 12:58 AM
^ Sir. 6'2" lang po ako. Yung 230 lbs, depende sa gising...may araw na mas mabigat pa..

Di naman ako palaaway sir. Kahit Hamunin mo ako, di ako lalaban ::) Gentle giant. You can ask Joescoundrel. Palagi akong binu-bully niyan. ;D

Joescoundrel
11-10-2008, 02:31 PM
^ Bruiser baka maniwala si Bchoter. ;D

Anyway, been seeing a lot of present-generation Cardinals at the PBL including Sean Co and Ian Mazo for Pharex and Neil Pascual for Magnolia.

Sam Miguel
06-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Blackwater five takes it

By Cedelf P. Tupas

9:56 pm | Tuesday, June 11th, 2013

Playing with a lot of tenacity in the second half, Blackwater Sports ended the reign of NLEX in the PBA D-League with a pulsating 80-74 victory yesterday, completing a sweep by the Elite of the Foundation Cup finals at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.

Robby Celiz and Justin Chua showed up their more touted rivals by starring in a torrid second-half assault that boosted the Elite from 18 points down in the third period and eventually dethroned the Road Warriors, who ruled the first four conferences with ease.

Undaunted by the Road Warriors’ winning tradition, the Elite, owned by businessman Dioceldo Dy, proved tougher when it mattered in Games 1 and 2.

“It wasn’t easy but all we had to do was believe in the players and in the system, and instill discipline on offense and defense” said Blackwater coach Leo Isaac.

“Down (14 points) at halftime, we knew we can’t win if we lose our composure, so we took it possession by possession and took good shots.”

More importantly, Blackwater, playing with a thin rotation, was undaunted by NLEX’s star-studded lineup.

Celiz, a seldom-used guard playing out of National U, fired 20 points, including 11 in the third quarter that sparked the Elite’s comeback from 40-58 down.

Motivated by the thought of playing against his more heralded collegiate teammates in Greg Slaughter and Nico Salva, former Ateneo center Chua delivered 17 points and six boards.

Allan Mangahas dished out a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds.

“We feel sorry for him not winning the MVP award, but he proved that he is the team’s MVP,” Isaac said of the former Mapua court general.

The Road Warriors leaned on Slaughter to take a 52-38 lead at halftime. They padded it to 18 in the third, before back-to-back triples by Celiz set off the fightback.

Baser Amer tied the game for NLEX at 72 with 2:17 left, but Mangahas buried a runner in the lane and Celiz followed up a Chua miss with 41.2 ticks to go.

The scores:

BLACKWATER 80—Celiz 20, Chua 17, Mangahas 13, Ferrer 12, Llagas 11, Ciriacruz 7, Bagatsing 0, Austria 0.

NLEX 74—Salva 14, Lanete 12, Slaughter 11, Long 9, Alas 8, Garcia 7, J. Pascual 6, Amer 5, Villarias 2, Ganuelas 0, R. Pascual 0, Camson 0.

Quarters: 21-22, 38-52, 60-62, 80-74

Sam Miguel
06-13-2013, 08:07 AM
^^^ Allan Mangahas was the true difference-maker in this series. He totally outplayed the more heralded Baser Amer and RR Garcia.