PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 17 The Championship: DLSU Green Archers vs. ADMU Blue Eagles

bigfreeze_bibby
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
So guys, this is it. The battle that almost everyone is anticipating of. Most pundits have predicted this to happen before the season started due to Ateneo's sterling performance in the pre-season tournaments with their deep lineup and for La Salle because of the tactical prowess of coach Franz Pumaren despite having with an inferior lineup compared to the Blue Eagles. Both teams have gone separate roads going to the championship with La Salle fighting tooth and nail to beat FEU while Ateneo had an easy coasting win against UE.

Ateneo will be heavily favored in this series because of their dominating 13-1 record in the eliminations including their performance in last Sunday's final four game against UE wherein they thrashed the Red Warriors, 70-50. As we all know, Ateneo is very, very deep and complete in every position which makes them the top dogs to win the championship. If Rabeh, Chris, Eric, Jai , Nonoy, and Ryan will perform in their top level, I think it will be a tough day for the Archers on both ends.

Let's first check the back court. La Salle might be in the fight in this position since Jvee Casio will be the heart and soul of La Salle. He will be tasked to lead the team in scoring and playmaking to create opportunities for his teammates, in which I am hoping that they step up once again in order for DLSU to win or steal a game from the Blue Eagles. Atkins and Revilla will be hard pressed as well to do defense chores on Jai and Kirk especially to prevent the mismatches on Kirk posting up on Revilla at times due to size advantage.

As for the wing position, Chris will be the main focal point of the Eagles' offense while for DLSU, it will be Mangahas, Barua, and even Malabes. Buenafe steps into the picture as one of the vital cogs in this position as well as he will provide mismatches due to his upper body strength and all around offensive play. If Buenafe's man can make him work on the defensive end to tire him out then it might help a little bit to take Ryan out of focus on doing his scoring barrage and I hope that James and Peejay will be out to do this work.

For the frontcourt, this is where Ateneo's bread and butter work to perfection. Rabeh has been unstoppable as of the moment and he can beat La Salle in so many ways that I am praying at this point that La Salle bigs Walsham and Ferdinand will show up at least defensively on the finals series to put the hand cuffs on this Ateneo slotman who has a potent hookshot and medium range jumper. Aside from that Rabeh also finishes good at the break and is on the receiving end of the Ateneo guards' drop passes once they get the opportunity to drive in the paint.

This has been one of the best Ateneo seasons in years under coach Norman Black. He did tweaks here and there on his four years as Ateneo's head coach and it seems that he may already reap the seeds that he had sown since 2005. As for coach Franz Pumaren, he'll be in the same scenario as he was last year: facing a team that had beaten him twice in the eliminations. Last year, I was hoping that La Salle just sticks it out for the rest of the game and then pull the rug in the last minute or so in a chance to steal a game from the mighty UE Red Warriors. It even exceeded my expectations as La Salle won it's 7th men's basketball championship.

The strategies are already in place and this can only do so much to affect the game. For me, it will be still the players who will decide the outcome of the game. The team with a greater heart and will play smart basketball will win the championship series. No matter how good your planning and strategies are, if the players won't be able to execute all of them then all of the effort put into practice will go into waste. I hope everyone from the La Salle camp knows the gravity of the situation especially the rookies and everyone will step up when it matters most.

These are the games that really matter right now.

ANIMO LA SALLE!

The_Big_Cat
09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
For La Salle to win this series:

1. Start the game strong.
2. Transition defense. Ateneo leads the UAAP in fastbreak points.
3. Defensive rebounding. Avoid giving Ateneo second chance points.
4. Balance scoring.
5. Bench points. La Salle leads the UAAP in this category.

shyboy
09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
One thing is always a given when ateneo is in the UAAP Finals. It's the cue for many of them to come out of their rat holes and make their annoying presence felt all over cyberspace.

stonecold316
09-16-2008, 05:22 PM
At the end of the day, DLSU will still win the crown. Iba ang La Salle pag championship.

yellow_we
09-20-2008, 05:35 AM
^ I concur. I can't wait to see a shooting spree between Casio and Tiu. These two veterans play like there's no more tomorrow everytime their respective teams play against each other. I guess Rabeh and Baclao will have the edge though inside the shaded lane, dominating the boards so I'll expect the big guys of the Archers c/o Rico, PJ and James to do extra effort on boxing them out.

fionna
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
wat happened? where are you guys? care to post any comments? or are you hiding in your own rat holes as shyboy aptly put it?

Dark Knight
09-21-2008, 08:54 PM
La Salle has no answer to Rabeh. They clamp down Tiu and salamat but not Rabeh. Plus their horrible field goal percentage.

batangueño
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
We lost to a better Ateneo team today. Al-Hussaini was all over us and we failed to find ways to handcuff this guy. Also add to that the NABRO factor (with Boyong Mañalac and Mat Calizar officiating, of course).

Bawi tayo sa Huwebes. Walang bibitaw.

AN1MO LA SALLE!

sajubeads
09-21-2008, 11:57 PM
La Salle has no answer to Rabeh. They clamp down Tiu and salamat but not Rabeh. Plus their horrible field goal percentage.

Is Walsham injured? Why was he not fielded. He could probably done a better job than Ferdinand and Villanueva.

cub
09-22-2008, 12:15 AM

Is Walsham injured? Why was he not fielded. He could probably done a better job than Ferdinand and Villanueva.

Walsham is not injured. he played a minute or two kanina. the referees suck. BIG TIME! stupid fouls called on Malabes and Mangahas. that should've been a T only on Salamat for shoving Mangahas.

BigBlue
09-22-2008, 12:19 AM

Walsham is not injured. he played a minute or two kanina. the referees suck. BIG TIME! stupid fouls called on Malabes and Mangahas. that should've been a T only on Salamat for shoving Mangahas.

cub, the refs sucked for both sides. we can also easily come up with a list of bad calls that didnt go our way.

batangueño
09-22-2008, 12:33 AM
cub, the refs sucked for both sides. we can also easily come up with a list of bad calls that didnt go our way.

When it's NABRO, it must be bulok. >:(

jembengzon
09-22-2008, 07:27 AM
wat happened? where are you guys? care to post any comments? or are you hiding in your own rat holes as shyboy aptly put it?

i'll head this one off.

may i remind you that this is gameface, and the reason why this is a respected site is that we all take great pains to ensure intelligent discussion. and this is dlsu's home. don't be a jerk with a comment like that. respect it and leave peacefully. there's no need for that kind of behavior.

personally, i don't want this site to turn into PEX or something. we treat the site right, we get treated right. nothing personal, but konting disciplina and restraint.

mod, paki-delete lang itong comment. thanks :)

sajubeads
09-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Ive watched the entire game and i did not see Walsham having been inserted in the game. His name was not also in the backscores. Quite strange if he is not injured that Franz DNP him considering that he is the most veteran of among his cemters and the beefiest.he could have certainly made life a liitle bit harder for Rabeeh

The_Big_Cat
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
La Salle did a splendid job on defense in the first 16 minutes of the game. Forcing Ateneo to commit turnovers after turnovers and converting those into turnover points.

Ang nakita kong problema is the perimeter and mid-range shooting. They were getting the looks but they were not sinking those jumpers. Dribble penetrations of Revilla, Casio and Atkins were great pero ang problema yung mga short/mid range jumpers coming from that pass were not sinking particularly si Villanueva and Ferdinand. Si Maui had a ton of those attempts from close range pero hindi niya maipasok.

James Mangahas was also in foul trouble and that somewhat hampered La Salle's half-court set. In order for them to be successful in Game 2, they need Malabes and Atkins to step up. Kailangan nila tulungan sila Rico, JV and PJ sa scoring. And James has to watch his fouls.

coreytaylor
09-22-2008, 11:04 AM

Ive watched the entire game and i did not see Walsham having been inserted in the game. His name was not also in the backscores. Quite strange if he is not injured that Franz DNP him considering that he is the most veteran of among his cemters and the beefiest.he could have certainly made life a liitle bit harder for Rabeeh

FYI, he played but with very limited minutes. Pinasok pero labas agad.

joelex
09-22-2008, 12:37 PM

IMO, Mangahas shouldve been the only one with a T since he stared down Salamat with no real reason other than trying to instigate a fight.
There were some bad calls against Ateneo in the first half but the calls became more consistent eventually.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-22-2008, 12:56 PM
The main reason why Ateneo won yesterday it's because of Rabeh Al-Hussaini. La Salle did not have an answer on him as he tore DLSU's interior defense into pieces. I felt that La Salle played good defense on ADMU in the 1st half only to succumb in the start of the 3rd quarter and that was the lone spot Ateneo needed to take game one. La Salle did not defend pretty well Ateneo's pick and roll offense which resulted to buckets of points for the Blue Eagles in the 2nd half. La Salle's defense deteriorated big time in the 2nd half and they could not find their rhythm either on offense, which was a double black eye for the Archers.

Add to the damage Rabeh did to DLSU's frontline was Baclao's defensive prowess which complemented very well with Rabeh's high power scoring.

glock23
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Plain and simple, we were beaten by the better team yesterday. No excuses! But, we are not down and out...not yet for we still have a game on thursday and if we show the same fighting heart there is no reason to believe that we cant force a sudden death for the championship. If and when we force a game 3 it will all boil down to who blinks first, we thrive on those must win situations and that my friends is what we want to happen. But first we have to beat a mighty ateneo team hungry and beaming with confidence this thursday. Keep the Faith!!!

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

sanlo
09-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Plain and simple, we were beaten by the better team yesterday. No excuses! But, we are not down and out...not yet for we still have a game on thursday* and if we show the same fighting heart there is no reason to believe that we cant force a sudden death for the championship. If and when we force a game 3 it will all boil down to who blinks first, we thrive on those must win situations and that my friends is what we want to happen. But first we have to beat a mighty ateneo team hungry and beaming with confidence this thursday. Keep the Faith!!!

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

Well said.

blueatheart
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM

did you see what happened? Mangahas looked down on eric and prevented eric from standing up. Eric gave him a little shove and Mangahas slapped Eric's forearm. The double T was fine.

sunmike19
09-23-2008, 06:50 PM

kaya cgro sandali lang pinasok si Walsham kasi i remember in game 1 nung ADMU vs DLSU muntikan na magkaroon ng gulo dahil kay Walsham...if i remembered it correctly pero ewan ko lang..d ko din alam eh...let's just hope for the best!!

GO LA SALLE!!! let's pray for them in Game 2!!!

NY
09-25-2008, 06:48 PM
At the end of the day, DLSU will still win the crown. Iba ang La Salle pag championship.

At the end of the day, it is night time !!!

Congrats to the blue eagles !!!

stonecold316
09-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Show me the money!
;D ;D ;D

Kahit ano pang championship experience mo, kapag pumito na ang refs, its goodbye game na. ;D

gb
09-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Give the winning team its due respect. Excuses are for the weak.

Officiating was terrible throughout the season for all teams, so all things being equal, let's avoid unfounded statements (i.e. "show me the money" or "pag pumito...game over") Show some class.

Show me the money!
;D ;D ;D

Kahit ano pang championship experience mo, kapag pumito na ang refs, its goodbye game na. ;D*

salsa caballero
09-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Show some class.

Nemo dat quod non habet.

shyboy
09-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Stonecold is not from DLSU. Maybe he saw something worth mentioning. ;D

gb
09-25-2008, 10:39 PM
There are a lot of things worth mentioning about that game if, for example, only to detail the ebb and flow (or lack of) in its pace. That ticky tack fouls were called on both sides which kept key players from getting a groove. The biggest victim was ateneo's mvp al husseini who missed all but 2 minutes of the first half and was limited to 7 pts.

Arguable calls were made against both sides, so regardless of whose perspective it comes from, there is no value in making baseless and cheap statements that take away from a team's hardwork and achievement.

Stonecold is not from DLSU.* Maybe he saw something worth mentioning.* *;D

bigfreeze_bibby
09-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey guys, enough of this crap, okay? It's time to work for season 72. We need to reload and retool. Any other extra-curricular post will be deleted from here on. Thanks.

Royal Forest
09-26-2008, 11:23 PM

Yes, Stonecold is from USTE. But to say he's truly objective is another matter altogether. Check out all his previous posts and see if he had anything good to say about Ateneo ever. If I did not know any better, would have thought he's a La Sallite with the way he wanted the Eagles to be beaten so bad by other teams just to shut up all those "mayayabang" na Atenista. Pag si Bchoter sana ang na quote mo, puwede pa sana.

Sorry for the OT Mod.

joelex
09-27-2008, 04:56 AM
dlsu overachieved this season with the loss of key players and the influx of rookies to the rotation. for them to reach the finals is a fet in itself. that being said, i dont think there is much need to give excuses on the loss to ateneo. talo talaga plain and simple. as for the calls, dlsu failed to adjust. manipis na nga tawag as evidenced by the 2 early fouls on rabeh, madikit pa din sa depensa at tulak ng tulak. yan 29 fouls.

shyboy
09-27-2008, 07:18 AM

Yes, Stonecold is from USTE.* But to say he's truly objective is another matter altogether.* Check out all his previous posts and see if he had anything good to say about Ateneo ever.* If I did not know any better, would have thought he's a La Sallite with the way he wanted the Eagles to be beaten so bad by other teams just to shut up all those "mayayabang" na Atenista.* Pag si Bchoter sana ang na quote mo, puwede pa sana.

Sorry for the OT Mod.

Look at the previous posts. It was your fellow ateneans who quoted him, not me. Those "show some class" statements are presumed throwed La Salle's way and with your breed's penchant for generalizing specially during these times, I had to set the record straight that he's a third party in all these.

Now as for him being objective, that's not the issue here. Anyone can say his piece here in our sub-forum (as long as it's within our taste, of course) and it's up to the readers to decide the objectivity of all posts.

Eagle_Eyes
09-27-2008, 09:43 AM

nah. anti-ateneo lang yan. in all threads and fora. neutral lang yan kuno pag nagpo-post sa BEN. if i know, yan ang nag-jinx sa team niya sa espana. kaka-predict ng puro panalo, kabaligtaran tuloy ang nangyari.

anyway, congrats to dlsu for remaining tough 'til the end.

good luck to jv. he will definitely go a long way.

Royal Forest
09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
"Maybe he saw something worth mentioning.* *;D"

Gotcha Shyboy. But I posted not because of Stonecold. You are correct his objectivity is not the issue. My issue is what you posted. If I am mistaken that you were trying to bring in a "objective third party" to settle a deadlock, then I am sorry. That's precisely why I said if si Manong Bchoter pa sana, puwede pa.

sanlo
09-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Yes, Stonecold is from USTE.* But to say he's truly objective is another matter altogether.* Check out all his previous posts and see if he had anything good to say about Ateneo ever.* If I did not know any better, would have thought he's a La Sallite with the way he wanted the Eagles to be beaten so bad by other teams just to shut up all those "mayayabang" na Atenista.* Pag si Bchoter sana ang na quote mo, puwede pa sana.

Sorry for the OT Mod.

Look at the previous posts.* It was your fellow ateneans who quoted him, not me.* Those "show some class" statements are presumed throwed La Salle's way and with your breed's penchant for generalizing specially during these times, I had to set the record straight that he's a third party in all these.*

Now as for him being objective, that's not the issue here.* Anyone can say his piece here in our sub-forum (as long as it's within our taste, of course) and it's up to the readers to decide the objectivity of all posts.

Philosophically, no one can be truly objective. Everyone has their biases.

xxl77
09-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Show me the money!
;D ;D ;D

Kahit ano pang championship experience mo, kapag pumito na ang refs, its goodbye game na. ;D*

Agree with Stonecold. This is exactly what happened in Season 69.

izon
09-27-2008, 09:02 PM
dlsu overachieved this season with the loss of key players and the influx of rookies to the rotation. for them to reach the finals is a fet in itself. that being said, i dont think there is much need to give excuses on the loss to ateneo. talo talaga plain and simple. as for the calls, dlsu failed to adjust. manipis na nga tawag as evidenced by the 2 early fouls on rabeh, madikit pa din sa depensa at tulak* ng tulak. yan 29 fouls.

Ateneo was just a hungrier team than La Salle.* With all the problems this La Salle team encountered from the time prior to this UAAP season, injuries notably Marko, Coach Franz's divided attention due to his Youth team coaching, perceived less talented players recruited by La Salle as against Ateneo's, Coach Jack's emotional turmoil due to father's illness and eventually his death, I am surprised that La Salle made it to the finals !!! Masyadong mabigat ang partida ng La Salle na binigay sa Ateneo.

stonecold316
09-29-2008, 06:28 PM

nah. anti-ateneo lang yan. in all threads and fora. neutral lang yan kuno pag nagpo-post sa BEN. if i know, yan ang nag-jinx sa team niya sa espana. kaka-predict ng puro panalo, kabaligtaran tuloy ang nangyari.

anyway, congrats to dlsu for remaining tough 'til the end.

good luck to jv. he will definitely go a long way.

OT: Again, I'm not Anti-Ateneo perse. Kung critical man ako sa Ateneo, it's because of a lot of reasons. Isa na eh si Chito "All mighty" Narvasa na I think is the worst commissioner the UAAP has ever had.

Common guys, huwag na tayong magpaka-plastic. Napanood ko ang Game 2 ng Finals. I'm not a DLSU fan per se, but I felt sorry for them because nayari naman talaga sila sa tawagan. 29 fouls were called against them compared to Ateneo's 13 (tama ba?). I'm also not a Franz Pumaren fanatic (although mataas respeto ko sa kanya as a coach for giving DLSU five UAAP titles) pero I sympathized with him because of the bad officiating.

Aminado naman tayo napakalakas ng Ateneo eh pero sana naman huwag naman garapalan ang tawagan. Kay Rico na lang at kay Ferdinand, tinawagan sila ng technical for what? Taunting na ba yun when they just let out an emotion after scoring baskets? Si Jvee Casio talagang tinaggal sa laro with the fouls called on him. Again, this is my opinion on the matter. Walang personalan dito.

A-boy97
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
^Isama mo na rin yung two fouls agad kay Rabeh sa simula ng laro. Parang "conveniently" mong nakalimutan eh. Walang personalan, hindi anti-Ateneo... Eh puro "bitterness" ang tengga mo. Di na nga kasali school mo, papel ka pa ng papel. Talo mo pa ibang lasalyano sa pag-post ng mga anti-Ateneo comments. Punta ka sa bonfire, naka-ready na dalawang ITLOG mo.

Anyway, good luck to JVee Casio. He's really one hell of a player.

residentshooter
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
relax lang guys. tapos na yung season. next year na ulit ang mga bangayan at reklamo :D

basta yung may mga issue sa officiating, pwedeng-pwede pumunta sa bonfire. naka-handa na yung mga panggatong na NABRO ;D

BigBlue
09-29-2008, 06:45 PM
OT: Again, I'm not Anti-Ateneo perse. Kung critical man ako sa Ateneo, it's because of a lot of reasons. Isa na eh si Chito "All mighty" Narvasa na I think is the worst commissioner the UAAP has ever had.

Stonecold, eto ang di ko maintindihan, what does Ateneo have to do with UP's decision to appoint Narvasa? why are you critical of Ateneo when it was UP who appointed him in the first place?

residentshooter
09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
^ OT: kahit itanggi pa nya, alam naman natin kung kanino sya kampi. kaya wag na pag-aksayahan pa ng panahon (pio doctrine anyone?). nasa GAR naman sya so feeling nya "at home" sya hehehe :D

anyway, goodluck to JV!

shyboy
09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Ang init na naman dito sa Pilipinas.* Sana umulan bukas para presko.* *;D

residentshooter
09-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Ang init na naman dito sa Pilipinas.* Sana umulan bukas para presko.* *;D

para mas malamig, sana mag-snow na lang :D

coreytaylor
09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Stonecold, eto ang di ko maintindihan, what does Ateneo have to do with UP's decision to appoint Narvasa?* why are you critical of Ateneo when it was UP who appointed him in the first place?

pabayaan nyo na yan...bitter lang yan...di talaga titigil sa pagputak yan..we all know he hates ateneo :D so pabayaan nyo na..who cares* ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I am now locking this thread since wala na rin naman itong patutunguhan.