PDA

View Full Version : FEU Tamaraws Season 71 Post Mortem (MBT)

Dark Knight
09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
(sigh) ok, here goes....................

FEU, a traditional powerhouse in the UAAP with 19 Seniors Mens Basketball Titles have been problematic the last two years. In 2006,, as the defending champions, was expected to dominate again with a suspended La Salle team. A line up composed of Jonas, Jeff, RB, Fernandez, MacMac and Adolfo, remnants of the 2005 champions, is still strong. But ladyluck did not smile on them. They never realize the impact left by Santos, Isip and company. They were eliminated by Ateneo. First time since 2002.

To Montinola's disgust, the 2006 team was disbanded. Heads rolled off. Only 3 was reactivated. Adolfo, Macmac, and Wolverine. A bunch of promising rookies were introduced (rookie/veterans in the words of Franz). Sanga, Barocca, Cawaling, Cervantes, Ramos and Alisbo. Nothing much was expected from this line up as they were all rookies and yet they slug it out for the last slot in the Final 4. To make matter worst, Baracael, Adolfo and Guerilla was involved in a game fixing bananas with Guerilla being kicked out o the team. But they were eliminated once again by then defending champs UST.

So, came season 71. FEU figured in the Finals of the FilOil, but lost. Hmmmmmm........the future looks bright. First game against Adamson. Cant even shake this would be cellar dweller and needed a miraculous shot by rookie Knuttel for the win. In short, hirap na hirap manalo. So, doubts clouded my mind again about FEU's chances. Second game, against nemesis La Salle. We fought toe to toe in the first half only to lose in the second. Bad start. 1-1.

Then came a shocking incident. Baracael was shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No kiddin' First time it happened in the league (or was it?) Much worse, Kave's mother showed extreme mother of love by ordering him to go back to PNG leaving the Tams. Emotional games followed. A win over UE. (contested by Dindo because of that Adolfo buzzer beater), then the upset of the season. The win against the invincible Ateneo. Suddenly, we find ourselves on top with just NU to beat at the end of the 1st round. Then an even bigger upset. This game really made me bang my head on the Meralco concrete post. WE LOST TO NU. There you go, nice way to end the first round eh? Jeez.......

2nd round. Time to rack up the wins in preparation of the F4. First assignment, Ateneo. Uh Oh. We lost. 3 losses and counting? nah...we won 5 straight games including that miracle win against UST and over la Salle where pretty boy Barocca went berserk. And we find ourselves in contention for the twice to beat advantage with La Salle. So, we each have 3 remaining assignments left. La Salle has UST, Adamson and Ateneo. FEU has UP, NU and UE. If you will look at it, FEU has an easier task. But no. We won handily against NU (where mac returned) and UP. Ok, not handily against UP. Then he shocking loss to UE. This is the FIRST wasted opportuniy. While La Salle won miraculously against UST. Thank God they lost to Ateneo. So we are tied again at 10-4. A playoff is needed for the last 2x to beat. We lost as expected. The SECOND wasted opportunity. (jesus, we are good at wasting games eh? ) And we are number 3. Damn...

Final 4. We fought very hard. We lead for most of the game. But La Salle is La salle. The most controversial player Baracael suddenly felt his gunshot wounds in the last two minutes. wasting 4 free throws. Missing the should have been go ahead basket, and his UAAP career is over.

And so is FEU's campaign. A lot of people would probably say "nothing to be ashamed". Yeah right... a loss is a loss, no excuses. The good thing is, we finally returned to the Final 4 where we belong. We have overachieved this season. No regrets really. And thanks or the support.

Thanks a lot for the memories Benedict "anime haired" Fernandez, Mac "gunshot? what gunshot?" Baracael and Marlon "i love Daquis"Adolfo.

..............and i dont want to talk about season 72. You cant force me.nope, nah..........hell NO.

Just a reminder. PIPO will play (and hopefully Kave will return.) And Raf Mangahas and..........goodbye

marmand
09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Do not forget about Garcia. Is Vinluan eligible to play next year?

Dark Knight
09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Do not forget about Garcia. Is Vinluan eligible to play next year?*

Vinluan played in 2006 along with Afable but was cut from the team when Montinola disbanded them. Afable is in the NCAA i think. Vinluan will not play anymore for the Tams but i cold be wrong.

Are you talking about Jobim garcia?

marmand
09-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Do not forget about Garcia. Is Vinluan eligible to play next year?*

Vinluan played in 2006 along with Afable but was cut from the team when Montinola disbanded them. Afable is in the NCAA i think. Vinluan will not play anymore for the Tams but i cold be wrong.

Are you talking about Jobim garcia?

RR. The player who just played in the youth team. And Vinluan was not cut but he migrated to the US. Petitioned by his Dad. I saw him during the game this afternoon but I was not able to ask if he will resume his playing career. Sayang yung bata, Magaling and I believe is a legitimate 6-5 player.

tamarawz_14
09-15-2008, 08:13 AM
^^its ryan roose garcia 6-0 consistent scorer of RP youth last FIBA tournament...

Dark Knight
09-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok, my fault. I thought you are refering to the 2006 team. I just hope no one pirates Ryan Garcia and that team mate of him. Was it Russel Yaya? Im not updated anymore. ;D

The_Big_Cat
09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
FEU will be something special come next year. ;)

paul_tamaraws
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Whats in store for the Tams in Season 72...

With the departure of Baracael, Fernandez and Adolfo, here are some of the players who will possibly replace them come Season 72 such as:

Ian Sangalang - a 16 yr old, 6'6 standout playing for the RP Youth Team
Maiquez(dont know his first name) - also a 16 yr old, 6'7 center from Pampanga also playing for the RP Youth Team
Ryan Garcia - 6'0 player from FEU Team B also played for RP Youth Team
Pipo Noundou - 6'4 Cameroonian power forward with an Ekwe-type of body and a defensive force inside the paint.

Possible returnees also for next season are:

Sanny Abaring - he missed Season 71 due to academic problems
Robert Kave - he played only 7 games this season and left for Papua New Guinea after the Baracael shooting incident..

arhtmahn
09-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Matunog ang balita na ang mga kinatawan ng Urian Ng Garantisadong Aayaw at Sasablay Sa Pressure (UNGAS Sa Pressure) ay handa nang ihandog ang Collegiate Career Achievement Award o ang tinatawag na Gawad Daga kay Marcy Arellano ng UE batay sa kanyang UAAP career na walang bahid ng tagumpay sa Final Four. Mukhang siguardo namang kasama na sina JR Cawaling at Mark Barroca ng FEU sa Myhtical Tropang Bubwit. Samantala, ang Nagbenta Kaya Natalo National Association (NAKANA NA) ay itinantangging nangungunang kandidato si JV Casio ng DLSU sa kanilang Laglag Award. Sabi nga ng tagapagsalit ng NAKANA NA, “This is e very hush-hush citation that we’d rather not publicize. As to those rabidly supporting Mr. Casio for this honor, we can only say that they who smelt it, dealt it. Thank you.”

Joescoundrel
09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
FEU was ranked as the Number 2 team by Basketbolista in its preseason overview in the summer behind only Lasalle.

How the Tamaraw season turned out is somewhat disappointing considering the talent on the team. Of course no one figured that main man Mac Baracael would be shot nearly to death. Still, there was a lot of depth and talent on this team.

Mark Barroca and Jenz Knuttel at the point, rotating with Jon Alisbo.

Benedict Fernandez and Marlon Adolfo alternating at the off-guard.

JR Cawaling is one of the most gifted forwards anywhere rotating with Paul Sanga, and he had the underrated Jun Tanuan as his backup.

Baracael was the starting power forward with the very talented Reil Cervantes coming off the bench.

Aldrech Ramos emerged as arguably the best defensive center in the UAAP this season, and sometimes Cervantes played the 5 as well.

They also had Robert Kave at least up to the end of Round 1, and veteran swingman Ron Cabagnot rounding out the rotation.

That is a solid 13-man rotation that should have done much better than it had. I think the biggest difference from FEU teams of recent vintage is that this Season 71 team was not the tough defensive unit previous teams were, i.e. when Arwind Santos and company were still around. Also, Benedict Fernandez seemed to drop off his production when the second round rolled around, and there really wasn't any one taking up the slack except perhaps for Mark Barroca.

All told it was a case of running out of gas in the critical stage of the season.

mighty_lion
09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Someone mentioned in FMC thread about the FEU PG. Napost ko na to sa FMC thread before and I swear to God I saw something special on that PG few weeks back. See it for your own eyes.

Schortsanitis
09-16-2008, 11:58 PM
I think FEU is so lucky to have landed Ryan Goose Garcia. He was one of the brightest, if not the brightest stars in that RP Youth team that played against taller teams from other countries. Given he has shown what he can do at an international level, I think he will be a star in Philippine college basketball.

gfy
09-17-2008, 07:39 AM
FEU had several misfortunes. First, Sanga had an ACL and this affected his game this year. Two guys who could have helped the team - Abaring and Eguiloz (who plays like Ramos) had academic deficiencies and were relegated to Team B. Then Baracael. Then Kave.

Garcia will really help the team next year. And he can shoot.

tamarawz_14
09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
FEU had several misfortunes. First, Sanga had an ACL and this affected his game this year. Two guys who could have helped the team - Abaring and Eguiloz (who plays like Ramos) had academic deficiencies and were relegated to Team B. Then Baracael. Then Kave.

Garcia will really help the team next year. And he can shoot.

^^^Eguiloz???? anu height nya 6-5 or 6-6????

gfy
09-17-2008, 08:57 AM
^Maybe 6'5". I'd like to add to the list of misfortunes that Adolfo,an important wingman, missed the first of the best of three due to sprain and wasn't the same in game two.

tamarawz_14
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Maiquez, Sangalang, Nounduo, Paguia, Gavieres, Garcia, Mangahas, Escoto, Albano, Tolomia.

watch out these guys for the upcoming years....

i noticed lang about our FEU Basketball program kahit hindi tayo nakakakuha ng blue chip rookies atleast every season always contender tayo....

sayang sila Rivera (SSC), Lopez (UP), Rosales(UST), Banal(MIT), Yaya(EAC) and Paulino brothers( UP).... anyway goodluck sa respective career nila...BTW our juniors team is always consistent sa Final 4 since 2005...

Dark Knight
09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
So wala na si Russel Yaya?

Ok lang mawala si Soc. He's not that good a player IMO.

I thought Paguia will transfer to UP?

coreytaylor
09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
pareng dark knight, malakas pa naman team mo next year and i consider feu as title contenders for the next 3 years so no need to worry dude. and feu's surprise packages will arrive next year: RRG & PN.

bchoter
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I saw Russel Yaya (or somebody who looks like him) along Taft and coming from a campus not near UN Ave. but the one closer to TM Kalaw.

Dark Knight
09-22-2008, 09:51 AM
pareng dark knight, malakas pa naman team mo next year and i consider feu as title contenders for the next 3 years so no need to worry dude. and feu's surprise packages will arrive next year: RRG & PN.

Thanks for the encouragement. But who will fill in the void left by fernandez and baracael? The now veterans Cervantes and Barocca should work double time. The upcoming rookies, no matter how good they were in Team B are still just rookies. Ryan Roose garcia is a great addition, can provide he points but Pipo is not an offensive player. More of a Kave type but a tad slower.

I think your Ateneo will still dominate next year with Rabeh still around. na sa inyo na ba si Bringas? ;D

coreytaylor
09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
^^ Trust me, your new recruits will fill those void vacated by the 2. Kaya yan dude. Cawaling, Ramos, Cervantes, Sanga, Barroca, Knuttel, and Tanuan will be a solid crew next year and they ain't boys no more. They will be veterans. Kung makakalaro yung dalawang 6'7 players ninyo, eh mas matangkad na line-up nyo at lalung lalakas pa ang FEU.

Bringas? Wala ako alam jan pre kung talagang lock na ba talaga sa amin si Bringas. Im not from ADMU kasi, Im from Ateneo de Cagayan, and I don't have any knowledge about these kind of things. Plus, nothing is sure until he is officially enrolled with the school.

bchoter
09-24-2008, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. But who will fill in the void left by fernandez and baracael? The now veterans Cervantes and Barocca should work double time. The upcoming rookies, no matter how good they were in Team B are still just rookies. Ryan Roose garcia is a great addition, can provide he points but Pipo is not an offensive player. More of a Kave type but a tad slower.

I think your Ateneo will still dominate next year with Rabeh still around. na sa inyo na ba si Bringas?* ;D
I'd pick Pipo over Kave anytime. Pipo shoots straight and will score if left open.

tamarawz_14
09-24-2008, 08:56 AM
i guess we need players who can play 1-3 spot...according to my atenean friend parang european team daw ang FEU almost all of them can shoot from outside...hahahahahaha

nastrans
09-25-2008, 02:37 AM
I saw Russel Yaya (or somebody who looks like him) along Taft and coming from a campus not near UN Ave. but the one closer to TM Kalaw.

Russel Yaya is now playing for the EAC Generals in the UCAA.

Joescoundrel
03-23-2009, 10:24 AM
FEU WINS 1st FMC TITLE

Far Eastern University finally got a big monkey off its collective backs by winning their first ever Fr Martin Cup championship over tough San Sebastian College 81 - 70.

Playing in front of a highly animated crowd at the San Beda gymnasium, the Tamaraws got an early lead thanks to PBL veterans Mark Barroca and JR Cawaling. But the Stags came charging right back to seize the lead 17-16 at the end of the first period on a layup by forward Mark Bringas.

Starting in the second period though, it was an all-FEU show as Barroca, Cawaling, Riel Cervantes and Pipo Nuondoo all worked the backdoor and cross-screen plays to put the Tamaraws ahead at 41-31 at the lemon time break.

That lead ballooned to as much as 53-36 midway through the third period as new Coach Ato Agustin looked bamboozled by the size and athleticism of FEU.

In the payoff fourth period, the Tamaraws went on a full charge to make it 59-38 and were never seriously threatened. San Sebastian came within 59-47 midway through the quarter but just didn't have enough to complete the comeback. Jimbo Aquino, the Stags' top scorer, went a sorry 3-13 from the field, and it seemed only Bringas came to play.

Barroca led all scorers with 24 points to go with his seven rebounds and seven assists, while former RP Youth Team standout Ryan Roose Garcia had 18 including going 4-6 from trey range.

Bringas had 14 points and 11 rebounds for San Sebastian but got little help from the rest of his teammates.

Dark Knight
03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks a lot sir Joe. :)