PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 16 Final Four Game: DLSU Green Archers vs. FEU Tamaraws

bigfreeze_bibby
09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
After beating the Tamaraws with a more intense defensive pressure, the Green Archers will now try to get that finals seat on Sunday.* Coach Franz has a good record thus far in barging into the finals with a twice to beat advantage in the final four.* I think there will be little adjustments because as we've seen it yesterday, almost both teams cancel out by playing good defense at each other forcing one tough shot after another.* I can say that both teams were prepared coming into the fight so it will be all left for the players to slug it out and get the win for their respective teams.

I still say that Malabes and Barua should contribute in the back court scoring of the Archers.* These two guys played big yesterday putting in scoring contributions in the crucial situations of the game.* Malabes' effect in the pressure defense resulted to Barroca, Fernandez, and Knuttel having a tough time bringing down the basketball.* Malabes also ensured to get steals and lay ups on that run.* Barua's runner shot is starting to be effective in breaking down defenses as teams are trying to clamp him down on his three point shooting.

These two guys filled the slack for Jvee and James' poor shooting and scoring day.* Although Jvee led the Archers with 16 markers yesterday I felt that Jvee relatively still had a sub-par game and this is where Malabes and Barua's contributions comes up very handy.* If those two did not perform well yesterday, I think FEU would have won that match.* La Salle is also taking the advantage in the front line via Rico, James, and Maui.* These guys are holding up their own against FEU's front line of Cervantes, Cawaling, Ramos, and Tanuan.* I am not sure why Adolfo was missing in action in yesterday's game (maybe some of our friends from Morayta can shed light in this).

Baracael, I say is now back in the groove, working hard on both ends and it seemed like the effects of the gun shot wound is not there anymore physically and mentally, in which I am happy of because Mac is one good player that can have a good basketball career in the future.* I think both teams should have their emotions checked throughout the course of the game as this might change the game's complexion through technical and unsportsmanlike fouls which can sway the momentum and spell the difference on the game outcome.

The key for victory on Sunday's game will be the in-game adjustments that will be done by the coaches.* I still see both teams employ mostly the plays that they have used yesterday because that's basically how La Salle and FEU were shaped as a team in this season.* It will be up to the players to step up and grab that opportunity presented to them.* Hustle and effort will spell the difference since I expect it to be another close, heart-stopping game.* One blink or lapse offensively and defensively will result doom on one team.* Good luck on the Archers on this one.

Remember, this is the UAAP Final Four: Where anything happens.

ANIMO LA SALLE!

Rektikano
09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
FEU was playing playing physical yesterday and hounded our guys throughout the game. We should be ready for this. "mangmamama" ang Tams sa Sunday and our guys should not back down. We must also control the boards. Box out properly. Fight the picks. Baracael hit two triples on screens yesterday which Maui didn't fight off. Or the switching should be fast if we cannot fight off the picks.

We must not be predictable on offense. We should help out Jvee and Rico, therefore it's imperative James and Peejay show up. Bader will be a bonus if could do what he did yesterday. Simon too..

GHRanger
09-12-2008, 02:17 PM
It would be good if Ferdinand and JWalsh show up as well.
This would give us more options such as keeping James as a 3 and Rico as a 4. This would keep them guessing where the offense will come from.

Istorbo
09-12-2008, 02:48 PM
You'll take this game, I think.

If FEU isn't able to dominate or at least hang in there for all 4 quarters, DLSU will take this game.The Tams are cracking and show signs of Final 4 inexperience. Even their coach wasted 2 points at a juncture too tight to get teed up.

I think you'll take the first finals seat on sunday.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Regarding the "pangmamama" thing, I say that our boys should play them in a brainy way like if they can put some acting to the pushing and shoving done by the FEU players in front of the referees hoping that it will be called putting these guys in foul trouble then it will be better. *Pag hindi tinawagan, recover kaagad. *

Wag tayo makipagsabayan sa kanila since kadalasan kung sino yung gumaganti, yun yung nakikita at tatawagan ng mga refs. *The "pangmamama" gestures happened in the 4th quarter yesterday wherein FEU asserted themselves to be more aggressive hoping that they can put the Archers off balance and take over the game from then on.

It was a good thing that our boys had the mental toughness in yesterday's game to repulse FEU's rally. *Actually we need this type of mental toughness again on Sunday if we want to beat the Tamaraws.

Rektikano
09-12-2008, 10:03 PM
It would be good if Ferdinand and JWalsh show up as well.
This would give us more options such as keeping James as a 3 and Rico as a 4. This would keep them guessing where the offense will come from.

The two would not be able to show up if coach would give them limited playing time ;D

I think Ferdinand played a good game yesterday. Too bad he got into foul trouble immediately and fouled out in the 3rd quarter.

Rektikano
09-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Regarding the "pangmamama" thing, I say that our boys should play them in a brainy way like if they can put some acting to the pushing and shoving done by the FEU players in front of the referees hoping that it will be called putting these guys in foul trouble then it will be better. Pag hindi tinawagan, recover kaagad.

Wag tayo makipagsabayan sa kanila since kadalasan kung sino yung gumaganti, yun yung nakikita at tatawagan ng mga refs. The "pangmamama" gestures happened in the 4th quarter yesterday wherein FEU asserted themselves to be more aggressive hoping that they can put the Archers off balance and take over the game from then on.

It was a good thing that our boys had the mental toughness in yesterday's game to repulse FEU's rally. Actually we need this type of mental toughness again on Sunday if we want to beat the Tamaraws.

I hope we don't lose our focus when FEU starts "bullying" our guys. And though I know the refs will let both teams "play it out" since it's the final four, I hope they will call those extra motions. Yesterday, in one play, Mac Baracael gave Peejay Barua two unnecesary ones in the chest. I lost all sympathy for Baracael then.. ;D It's a good thing the refs caught the one Baracael gave to James Mangahas and promptly issued him an unsportsmanlike foul. Andy Barocca was also giving it to JVee..

shyboy
09-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Yesterday, in one play, Mac Baracael gave Peejay Barua two unnecesary ones in the chest. I lost all sympathy for Baracael then.. ;D It's a good thing the refs caught the one Baracael gave to James Mangahas and promptly issued him an unsportsmanlike foul.
Magandang pag-aralan kung saang parte ng katawan inoperahan si Baracael kung ganyan lang din naman.* ;D

Fried Green Tomato
09-13-2008, 04:02 AM
^

Not a very good idea at all.

Playing tough is what we need to do but playing with the intention of inflicting harm to our opponent... let's not even contemplate such thought.

Let's just focus on winning the game by playing tough and holding our ground... that's more than enough.

easter
09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
I think you guys will be too tough for the Tams and will most probably finish them off tomorrow. Until somebody eliminates DLSU this is still the team to beat especially in the post season.

glock23
09-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Feu played dirty playoff basketball the last time we played and i expect an even dirtier game on sunday. Si Cheato nag suspend nanaman ng ref eh dapat lang na tawagan na ng "t" si capacio sa dami ng angal at dumi ng laro ng kanyang koponan. Ang galing ng pattern nitong si narvasa, napaka predictable!

ross
09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
congratulations dlsu.. 67-62. tams, keep your heads up.. you guys have nothing to be ashamed of. you will be champions in the years to come.. go tamz!!!

yellow_we
09-14-2008, 05:14 PM
DLSU will enter into the Finals again for two straight years. Playing his career high, James Mangahas saved the day for the Archers after he scored a lay-up basket from a fast break play. Surprisingly, FEU veteran shooter Mac Baracael, missed his two free throws that could have tied the ball game @64-all. Sanga had the chance to score a three through a forced attempt shot from the rainbow land but it didn’t fall in. Putting an exclamation mark in the game was an open lay up from James Mangahas as La Salle defeated the Tamarraws by the score of 67-62.

bluegirl
09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
comment lang, when barracael was shooting his FTs, a number of players from the dlsu bench were making shooting (gun) gestures. given the sensitivity of this issue, sana may magsabi sa kanila na it was done in poor taste.

paul_tamaraws
09-14-2008, 05:32 PM
comment lang, when barracael was shooting his FTs, a number of players from the dlsu bench were making shooting (gun) gestures. given the sensitivity of this issue, sana may magsabi sa kanila na it was done in poor taste.

kaya lang naman nila ginagawa yang stupid and immoral gesture na yan e baka sila nagpa-upa ng hitman para ipabaril si Baracael, obvious naman sa mga hirit ng mga Lasalista kanina sa Araneta!!!

stonecold316
09-14-2008, 05:51 PM

kaya lang naman nila ginagawa yang stupid and immoral gesture na yan e baka sila nagpa-upa ng hitman para ipabaril si Baracael, obvious naman sa mga hirit ng mga Lasalista kanina sa Araneta!!!

I think its unfair to make a comment such as this. Baka magalit mga tiga Taft nito?
Anyway, hindi rin ako pabor sa ginawa nila kasi parang di sila nag-aaral sa exclusive na school. Like bluegirl said, it was done in poor taste that might offended FEU fans.

stonecold316
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Mangahas powers La Salle back to UAAP finals
09/14/2008 | 05:34 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines – JV Casio was well covered by Far Eastern University all through out the game but the Tamaraws forgot a guy named James Mangahas.

Mangahas scored a game-high 20 points, including 10 in the final four minutes of the match, to power defending champion La Salle to a thrilling 67-62 win over FEU in Sunday’s Final Four game in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at the Araneta Coliseum.

Mangahas shot seven-of-11 from the field and also had eight rebounds in 30 minutes of action for La Salle.

The win gave the Archers the first finals berth giving La Salle mentor Franz Pumaren his 10th championship appearance since taking over the coaching job from Jong Uichico in 1998.

It was also La Salle’s 13th finals appearance since the final-four format was used by the UAAP in 1994.

“It’s nice to be back in the finals," said Pumaren after the game. “We really showed our championship poise and our experience helped us in the end game. The players don’t want to have one more game."

Mangahas clearly showed that he and the Archers wanted to quikcly finish off FEU and prepare for the finals.

Down by four, midway in the final period, Mangahas carried La Salle on his shoulders as the lanky forward – after a Casio basket for a 59-57 tally with 4:48 left in the fourth period – took over from there.

Mangahas scored three straight baskets, including a three-point ply off a foul from Benedict Fernandez, to give the Archers a 64-62 lead 35.2 seconds left in the game.

Marnel Baracael had the chance to tie the game with a pair of free throws, after getting the fifth foul of Rico Maierhoffer, but muffed both of his attempts time down to 15.9 seconds.

FEU missed both of their attempts at the other end and JR Cawaling was forced to foul Mangahas, who split his charities.

The game seemed headed for a knock-out match when FEU stormed to a 26-16 lead early in the second period.

La Salle, however, slowly pulled their way back into the game and trailed FEU by four, 38-34, at the half.

It was a tight match in the third period as neither team led by as much as four points setting up Mangahas’ end-game exploits for the exciting finish.

Casio backed up Mangahas with 11 points, four rebounds, six assists and two steals while Maierhoffer scored eight markers and grabbed 10 rebounds.

FEU’s loss wasted Cawaling’s season-high 18 points and the 12 markers and eight rebounds of Aldrech Ramos. Ramos also had six block shots, one shy of his season-high seven in FEU’s 70-65 win over University of Santo Tomas on July 20. – GMANews.TV

Fried Green Tomato
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Give the boys a break! I'm very sure there was no malice when the gesture was made. La Salle had a come from behind win and it was natural for the boys to be ecstatic of playing in the finals. Also, Players do that gesture a lot.

Although it was caught on tv that some La Salle players in the bench making the gesture (I saw LA), it was not clear if it was pointed to baracael.

As for your unfounded insinuation regarding the shooting... DREAM ON!

mighty_lion
09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Iba talaga ang post season experience and composure ng DLSU pagdating ng F4 and Finals.

animo_mapuan
09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Kudos to James Mangahas for having a great game ;D

Nike Air
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
buti na lang at pumutok si james kanina kundi patay ang archers. off pa rin game ni jvee at kitang-kita na parang may iniinda siya pero pinipilit lang niya na maglaro siya because he still command defenses to be honest on him para makagawa yung ibang mga kakampi niya. sobrang-sobra yung "luto" na ginagawa ng mga refs kanina. lahat ata ng putahe e nagawa na sa la salle kanina pero bigo pa rin si don anton na talunin ang dlsu.

about baracael, parang mas maganda pa atang mabaril na lang at manganib ang buhay kesa magkaroon ng acl. pag na-acl ka, mahihirapan kang makabalik kaagad sa dati mong laro at kung mamalasin ka, talagang wala na ang laro mo. nakakaduda ang sinasabing pagkakabaril kay mac dahil parang halos hindi nawala laro niya kung totoo nga man na talagang nabaril siya. malakas pa nga loob na makipagpisikalan ng laro kay barua at mangahas nung huwebes.

Dark Knight
09-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Nice game Archers.

Pansin ko lang, it seems every year, La Salle will automatically occupy the other Finals seat. Yung makakalaban na lang pinaglalabanan. :D

bigfreeze_bibby
09-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Hey tama na yang Baracael talk na yan ah. I am getting sick and tired of this. Let's focus on the game analysis itself. It was another tightly contested game from both sides. I have to say that the Archers really had to find their way out earlier because FEU is such one tough customer. Surprisingly, Mac Baracael missed maybe the most crucial free throws that he'll attempt this season and I may accept one miss but missing both freebies explained the pressure felt by all players inside the court during those moments and I think that event sealed the game for FEU.

FEU will still be strong next season despite missing the services of Baracael, Fernandez, and Adolfo (please correct me if I'm wrong) and they still have Raffy Escoto from the juniors ranks which I say could be the next Arwind Santos for FEU. Incidentally, he wears the same jersey number 19 for FEU-FERN. FEU will still be a tough team and they will give a lot of headaches for other teams for a long time.

xbluex
09-14-2008, 10:13 PM
great character-building game for the greenies! kudos also to the young tams who will still be a scary team in the coming years.

eto na! ADMU vs DLSU! archers vs eagles! blue vs green! (excited haha) i've been waiting six long years for this to happen again! hope both sides rest up for what will surely be an epic series. congrats again to the archers. see you next week!

bluegirl
09-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Give the boys a break! I'm very sure there was no malice when the gesture was made. La Salle had a come from behind win and it was natural for the boys to be ecstatic of playing in the finals. Also, Players do that gesture a lot.

Although it was caught on tv that some La Salle players in the bench making the gesture (I saw LA), it was not clear if it was pointed to baracael.

i just caught the replay. you can even read that one of the players was mouthing "bang bang". and if it was not pointed to barracael, coincidence lang ba na nung na-miss nya ung FTs tsaka un ginawa ng players ng dlsu?

i'm all for celebrating a hard-earned victory. and it is true that these are boys. kaya nga ang sabi ko eh sana may pumuna. para maintindihan nila na hindi tama ung ginawa nila.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay. That's it. That's the last post that I wanted to see about that "bang bang" gesture. Any other post about it will be automatically deleted. I suggest you use the PM function to settle your concerns. Thanks.

glock23
09-14-2008, 11:42 PM

i just caught the replay. you can even read that one of the players was mouthing "bang bang". and if it was not pointed to barracael, coincidence lang ba na nung na-miss nya ung FTs tsaka un ginawa ng players ng dlsu?

i'm all for celebrating a hard-earned victory. and it is true that these are boys. kaya nga ang sabi ko eh sana may pumuna. para maintindihan nila na hindi tama ung ginawa nila.

They were reprimanded in tonights team dinner about it so dont worry about it anymore. Boys will be boys. Good luck in the finals!* :)

Fried Green Tomato
09-15-2008, 02:17 AM

If the gesture was not pointed to barracael, then that's the end of the story.

Also, LA came from San Beda. Maybe, he was playing around with the Indian-Cowboy "bang-bang" game. :D

In the team dinner, Management just lightly reminded the team to be cautious from now on with their gestures and demeanors especially that the Finals is going to be a La Salle-ateneo match up. Expect the media especially abs-cbn to hype/market the event as the biggest spectacle on earth with all their moves/actuations being scrutinized and looked at. It's a way of preparing the players from the pressures that would come their way beginning today.

bluegirl
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
that's good then. yun lang naman ang punto ko. :)

see you in the finals.

The_Big_Cat
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Whenever La Salle needed points, they usually turn to their dreaded pressure defense. And it worked extremely well for you guys yesterday.

Rico had one foul going into the 4th and yet he fouled out at the end of the game. Ferdinand did a spectacular job inside the paint. Grabbing rebounds after another and playing solid defense against the more athletic Tams.

As usual my main man, Barua and Mangahas especially were just fabulous yesterday.

glock23
09-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Whenever La Salle needed points, they usually turn to their dreaded pressure defense. And it worked extremely well for you guys yesterday.

Rico had one foul going into the 4th and yet he fouled out at the end of the game. Ferdinand did a spectacular job inside the paint. Grabbing rebounds after another and playing solid defense against the more athletic Tams.

As usual my main man, Barua and Mangahas especially were just fabulous yesterday.

James and barua were awesome! we will need their fire power against the mighty blue eagles on sunday. This is the Finals so we go all out! Cant wait! ;)