PDA

View Full Version : FEU-Lasalle "Best of 3" Final 4

Joescoundrel
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
This Final 4 match-up could very well be a stand-alone championship series.

FEU has a legitimate chance to return to the UAAP Finals. The last time they were in the Finals they won the 2005 championship behind the efforts of MVP Arwind Santos, center Mark Isip, pointguard Jonas Villanueva and gunner Jeff Chan. And oh yeah, they beat Lasalle for that crown, payback for losing to the Green Archers the year previous. To say these two teams have history is an understatement.

This season features one heck of a lineup with pointguard Mark Barroca, veteran guard Benedict Fernandez, athletic swingman JR Cawaling, forward-center Reil Cervantes and the return of emotional leader Mac Baracael after a near-fatal attempt on his life. Baracael may not be producing MVP numbers, and he is obviously not at 100% just yet, but his return is highly symbolic for the Tamaraws. That he has returned in uniform and on the hardcourt boosts the psychological and emotional stock of the team even more.

Coach Glen Capacio's bench needs to deliver though if they are to have a fighting chance against the defending champion Green Archers. Aldrech Ramos is a part-time starter but is often the first player of the bench for FEU. He leads the league in blocks and has a good stroke from out to the three-point arc. He has a height and athletic advantage against the likes of Ferdinand and Maui Villanueva, but he needs to establish his game to keep the bench production steady for FEU. His defense will be critical against Lasalle main man Rico Maeirhofer who averages nearly 13 points and 11 rebounds per game.

Barroca might be the biggest difference-maker in this series. He came alive in Round 2 and is averaging a career-high with over 11 points per game. If the Tamaraws make it back to the Finals he would have undoubtedly played the series of his career. He is one of the few guards who can match-up against JV Casio, and if he can find a way to neutralize the Lasalle captain FEU should march back to the Finals.

Wang-Bu
09-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Tancha ko lang aabot talaga ng Game 3 ang bakbakang ito.

May konting lamang sa tao ang FEU pero lamang naman sa coaching ang Lasalle. Kung susumahin natin mas maraming tao na kayang gumawa si Coach Glen Capacio, pero pagdating naman sa diskarte at sa coaching iba talaga si Coach Frnaz Pumaren.

Hindi na siguro depensahan ang laban dito. Ang mas gusto kong tutukan dito ay kung sino ang mas may mabubunot mula sa bangko. Siempre alam na nating lahat na sa banda ng Lasalle kakamada sina Casio, Maeirhofer at pati na sina Mangahas, Barua at baka si Revilla na rin. Sa banda ng FEU nariyan sina Bedick, Barroca, Cervantes, Cawaling at Aldrech.

Alalaon-baga dapat ang tignan naman ay sino na ang mahuhugot ng kani-kanilang koponan at makakagawa.

Para sa FEU nariyan pa sina Knuttel at Adolfo, pati na din siempre si Mac Baracael. Sa Lasalle diyan nagkakaron ng konting problema, dahil sina Maui at Walsham na lang ang mabubunot nila, at hindi pa gaano kumakamada ang mga ito, kumbaga thank you na lang kung makagawa sila, thank you na rin kahit wala.

ross
09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
olats!!!! lang hiyang mga reps!!!! dalawang ghost calls kay baracael!! saan yong flagrant fouls nun!!! tsktsktsk!

ross
09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
si boom gonzales talaga....... lage nalng la salle ang lumalabas sa bibig nya.. walang kwentang commentator.. c alex compton nalng tuloy ang nag.i.evenout para sa side nang feu kasi lahat nalang nang comments ni boom ay parasa la salle.. >:(

easter
09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Iba talaga ang may final four at championship experience. Dito nayari ang FEU. That stretch in the third quarter when they couldn't score really was the story of this ballgame.

Dark Knight
09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Did not witnessed the game coz im at work.

Are the people concerned brewing up an Ateneo vs La Salle finals?

The_Big_Cat
09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
olats!!!! lang hiyang mga reps!!!! dalawang ghost calls kay baracael!! saan yong flagrant fouls nun!!! tsktsktsk!

Baracael gave his shoulder to Mangahas' jaw.

Turnovers, Turnovers and Turnovers lead to FEU's downfall today. FEU had an 8 point lead late in the 2nd quarter but failed to close out that quarter well and let a 6-0 run by DLSU to cut their lead to just only 2.

However, DLSU, came out strong at the start of the 3rd quarter, took the lead and never looked back.
Crucial call was at the start of the 4th quarter, FEU had possession down by 8 points, coach Capacio got a technical.
That further held down the Tams as DLSU was awarded 2 FTs plus ball possession which extended DLSU's lead to 10.

FEU just gave up too many turnover points and Cawaling was in foul trouble.

Dark Knight
09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I see. So its the Tams fault.

So, what else is new?

The_Big_Cat
09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I see. So its the Tams fault.

So, what else is new?

No. I don't want to call it that way. Inexperience siguro.

You have to remember, first time ng grupo na ito na maka pasok sa playoffs. As well as the coach.

stonecold316
09-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Its either a DLSU vs Ateneo or UE vs DLSU finals. I don't think FEU has the capability to win against DLSU unless coach Capacio make big adjustments.

tsikamajigs
09-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Its either a DLSU vs Ateneo or UE vs DLSU finals. I don't think FEU has the capability to win against DLSU unless coach Capacio make big adjustments.

Since Baracael returned to action, the Tams don't have anything to play for. No more "This is for Mac" games.

coreytaylor
09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
bawi feu! ;)

glock23
09-12-2008, 01:50 PM

i think they do have what it takes to come back. This is playoffs basketball and the calls will be different as in no blood no foul na ito so we just have to be ready to expect war on sunday.

stonecold316
09-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Archers near UAAP Finals
By JONAS TERRADO

JV Casio re-emerged when needed most as defending champion De La Salle University nipped far Eastern University, 62-59, yesterday to bag the second twice-to-beat incentive in the semifinals of the UAAP basketball tournament at the Araneta Coliseum.

After shooting just 2-of-16 from the field for only five points against Ateneo last Saturday, Casio scored 10 second half points to finish with 16 despite a 7-of-18 shooting while adding four rebounds, four assists and two steals to lead the Green Archers to the win at the start of the two squads’ "Best-of-three" semifinals.

"His performance is a very good sign of a great player by bouncing back from a horrible shooting and at the end of the day we completely trust JV," La Salle coach Franz Pumaren said.

Rico Maierhofer added 14 points and 10 rebounds, Peejay Barua made 10 points on 4-for-9 shooting while Bader Malabes scored all of his nine points in the third quarter as La Salle overcame an eight-point second quarter deficit.

The Archers held a commanding 15-point lead, 56-41, with 7:51 left and then held off the Tamaraws in the closing seconds with JR Cawaling missing a game-tying three-point attempt before the final buzzer.

"I think we lost a little poise down the stretch, I think the constant complaining of (FEU head coach) Glenn Capacio took its toll, they got the sympathy calls" said Pumaren.

With the victory, all La Salle need now is to beat FEU on Sunday to make a return trip to the finals and defend its title.

After a slow second half, the Archers worked their way up behind Malabes, Casio, Maierhofer and Barua, who combined for 12 points to give the Archers the upperhand, 47-39, going into the final 10 minutes.

After the game, Pumaren dedicated the game to Sofronio Santiago, father of Green Archers assistant coach Jack Santiago, who passed away at 6:15 p.m. at the Manila Doctors Hospital, almost a few minutes after the game, due to complications from numerous illnesses.

According to Pumaren, this was the reason why he had to leave the RP Youth Team who was campaigning in Tehran, Iran last week. He claimed that the younger Santiago, who handled the Green Archers in his absence, had to spend more time with his ailing father.

Pumaren was recently questioned by critics after leaving Iran in the midst of the RP campaign in the FIBA Asia Youth Championships, leaving his brother Derrick to take over the coachiung chores in the Nationals’ remaining games.

"I went home because I want him (Santiago) to spend more time with his father," a tearful Pumaren said. "I am close to his family, it’s just right to give him more time to see his dad in his last remaining days, and then I’m going to get that crap, I don’t think I deserve that."

"Well this is a victory that we can remember, we’re happy we won. It’s just unfortunate that it happened, maybe that’s why Cawaling’s shot missed because Jack’s dad interfered,"he added.

The scores:

DLSU 62 – Casio 16, Maierhofer 14, Barua 10, Malabes 9, Atkins 6, Villanueva 3, Mangahas 3, Revilla 1, Walsham 0, Bagatsing 0, Ferdinand 0.

FEU 59 – Cervantes 14, Fernandez 13, Baracael 10, Sanga 5, Barroca 5, Cawaling 4, Tanuan 3, Ramos 3, Knuttel 2, Alisbo 0, Cabagnot 0.

Quarters: 8-10, 23-25 47-39, 62-59.

Dark Knight
09-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Final 4 Game 1

FEU vs La Salle

See? I told all of you that its not easy to hand La Salle back to back losses. They lost to Ateneo, surely they will bounce back on their next game. Unfortunately, its against FEU.

Now, we still face the same dilemma (or dillema or whatever), because in order for the Tams to barge into the Finals, we have to defeat La Salle (yes, La Salle) twice in a row. Which IMO is not impossible but very improbable at this point.

We need more than determination and hard work to win, i think we need prayers on sunday for if we lose, then goodbye Season 71.

Thanks for the memories Baracael ( especially you), Fernandez and Adolfo.

oca
09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
The game is less than 2 hours.

If Coach Glen will again use a 3-guard set up to break the Pumaren Press, there is no way FEU will win. To do so is to play into the hands of Franz. Alam ni Franz na dehado siya sa ilalim, so he brings the battle in the back and mid court.

For FEU's sake, may they use the Koy Banal template of putting a tall/big man at midcourt in breaking the press. Koy did that with success with FEU and SBC, with the latter on off/pre season games vs DLSU and UE.

You don't need a college standout in the mold of an Arwin or Aljamal. Just a sensible big man who can dribble the quarter distance of the court, who has good arms and hand to do the overhead pass.

A big man at the mid-court will have a good view of the whole court. Be able to read the floor and make the next pass or dribble to break the press. He will have the height to make passes that will be difficult to deflect or harras by his own defender.

Ewan ko nga ba bakit ayaw gamitin ng ibang coaches yung template ni Koy Banal?

UST could have make use of it, and certainly this FEU line-up has the bigmen to do that role.

ross
09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
congratulations dlsu.. 67-62. tams, keep your heads up.. you guys have nothing to be ashamed of. you will be champions in the years to come.. go tamz!!!!!!!!

paul_tamaraws
09-14-2008, 04:31 PM
FEU came close in forcing a decider, but still they failed to capitalize in endgame thus losing to DLSU.. nothing to be ashamed of, dont worry, we will get a chance next season...

Thanks for the memories, Mac, Ben, Marlon... we will gonna miss you... :'(

To DLSU, i just hope na matalo sila sa ADMU if ever makakapasok sila sa Finals para makaganti naman kami sa kanila!!! >:(

stonecold316
09-14-2008, 05:42 PM
FEU came close in forcing a decider, but still they failed to capitalize in endgame thus losing to DLSU.. nothing to be ashamed of, dont worry, we will get a chance next season...

Thanks for the memories, Mac, Ben, Marlon... we will gonna miss you... :'(

To DLSU, i just hope na matalo sila sa ADMU if ever makakapasok sila sa Finals para makaganti naman kami sa kanila!!! >:(

I do think DLSU has a big chance of upsetting Ateneo if ever the two squad face each other in the Finals. Iba talaga and DLSU pagdating ng play-offs, lumalabas ang character ng team.

Anyway, FEU has all the chances to win the game but they blew it especially in the final seconds of the fourth. Mac-Mac was supposed to turn hero but became goat when he missed two crucial freebies that could have given them the lead. From thereon hindi na sila naka-score uli. Anyway, next year malakas pa rin naman ang Tams with the entry of excellent players from Team B.

Bawi na lang Tams sa 2009.

The_Big_Cat
09-15-2008, 10:32 AM
FEU had a 10 point lead early in the first half. Fortunately for the Tams, they sustained only a four point lead going into the third quarter. It seems that they were having a hard time breaking the La Salle press. A breakdown in their defense that left a wide open Mangahas that gave DLSU the lead for good.

And what a way for FEU to end their season, Baracael missing two crucial free throws that could have tied the game.

arjay_g
09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
the Tams really missed Barocca in this series. after lighting it up in the 2nd round including a win over DLSU, he suddenly disappeared offensively. He could've been the difference maker.