PDA

View Full Version : SBP Developmental League : the real training league

pachador
09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
14 year old 6'4" kid discovered . see below:

NBTC D-League groundwork

Business Mirror, Sept 9, 2008

THESE past few weeks have been immensely busy for me in the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC). As part of the preparations for the upcoming NBTC Developmental League, rounds have been made in several areas for the talent identification program.

So those of you who might have been familiar with the National Basketball Training may ask: “What is the use of coming with a grassroots league when basketball leagues already abound?”

Before I explain the substance behind the league, let me emphasize that organized leagues are often associated with big cities, as the countryside only has a few competitive leagues to show.

This is where the NBTC D-League comes in. This is a league in which the right talents will be utilized and trained in the right program and to be funneled into the basketball pipeline.

But first thing’s first. Not everyone can make the teams that will comprise the league.

And that is why there are talent identification camps to start with.

Of course, we know that since basketball is one of the biggest sports in the country, then the talents are plenty. But there are instances that not all the talents are given attention. Let me cite that beauty lies in the beholder.

In this line, there are things that may escape a coach that may prove to be very important for a coach looking for the best talent for the long term. These are what we call the diamonds in the rough.

So that is what we did in our rounds. In our one-day camps, we scoured the areas of Lucena City, Lipa in Batangas, Laguna, Cavite, Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac City and Olongapo City. There will be legs in Quezon City and Pasig City (September 20), Parañaque City and Manila (September 21). There are also upcoming legs in the Visayas and Mindanao.

These camps will choose 15 players according to age groups born from 1992 to 1994.

Of course, the strict screening process calls that these players be eligible in terms of age before being considered to be part of the city teams.

There are initial wonders in our quest, like when we came into contact with a 14-year-old boy who stands six feet and four inches.

Of course, any player will not be judged by talent alone, but on how he complies with the training program which comes with the basketball tournaments that are composed of the city, regional and national championship.

The road toward that goal is as important as the goal itself. We may say that the journey is as interesting as the destination.

Our next column will touch on the role of the coaches in this unique league

D_I_A
09-10-2008, 07:07 PM
14 year old 6'4" kid discovered . see below:

NBTC D-League groundwork*

Business Mirror, Sept 9, 2008
THESE past few weeks have been immensely busy for me in the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC).* As part of the preparations for the upcoming NBTC Developmental League, rounds have been made in several areas for the talent identification program.

So those of you who might have been familiar with the National Basketball Training may ask: “What is the use of coming with a grassroots league when basketball leagues already abound?”

Before I explain the substance behind the league, let me emphasize that organized leagues are often associated with big cities, as the countryside only has a few competitive leagues to show.

This is where the NBTC D-League comes in. This is a league in which the right talents will be utilized and trained in the right program and to be funneled into the basketball pipeline.

But first thing’s first. Not everyone can make the teams that will comprise the league.

And that is why there are talent identification camps to start with.

Of course, we know that since basketball is one of the biggest sports in the country, then the talents are plenty. But there are instances that not all the talents are given attention. Let me cite that beauty lies in the beholder.

In this line, there are things that may escape a coach that may prove to be very important for a coach looking for the best talent for the long term. These are what we call the diamonds in the rough.

So that is what we did in our rounds. In our one-day camps, we scoured the areas of Lucena City, Lipa in Batangas, Laguna, Cavite, Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac City and Olongapo City. There will be legs in Quezon City and Pasig City (September 20), Parañaque City and Manila (September 21). There are also upcoming legs in the Visayas and Mindanao.

These camps will choose 15 players according to age groups born from 1992 to 1994.

Of course, the strict screening process calls that these players be eligible in terms of age before being considered to be part of the city teams.

There are initial wonders in our quest, like when we came into contact with a 14-year-old boy who stands six feet and four inches.

Of course, any player will not be judged by talent alone, but on how he complies with the training program which comes with the basketball tournaments that are composed of the city, regional and national championship.

The road toward that goal is as important as the goal itself. We may say that the journey is as interesting as the destination.

Our next column will touch on the role of the coaches in this unique league

whoa 14 years old pa lang yan ha.. sana marami pang ma-discover

thadzonline
09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
there's also a 13-year old HS freshman in Cebu who is 6'1"

ichibang
09-14-2008, 11:26 AM
taga san yang 6'4 na yan? hanep ha 14 yrs old p lang...dapat ma develope