PDA

View Full Version : World University Games - Why Not?

Butata
09-08-2008, 12:29 AM
It has been a nagging question in my mind why the Philippines, despite our rich tradition in university/college hoops never bothers to send a NT composed of our best collegians to the biennial World University Games.

Bangkok was the 2007 host and that would have been the opportune time for us to participate but it appears this tournament is still under the SBP's radar. You guys still remember the Japan team that beat our Mens Team in the 2007 Jones Cup? It was the same team Japan sent to the Bangkok Universiade and it eventually placed 4th to Lithuania, Serbia & Canada (losing only by 6 pts. to the Canadians in the bronze game).

I'm not aware of any FIBA qualifiers for this tournament but even if there was, we'll be strong contenders to qualify since the Universiade allows 24 mens and 16 womens basketball teams. In 2007, the Asian participants were: Japan, China, S.Korea, Taiwan, Kazakhstan & host Thailand!

The only basic requirements are for the participant athletes to be registered University students w/ a minimum age of 17 and a max age of 27.

Btw, the next Universiade will be in Belgrade, Serbia on July 2009. I see this as the best opportunity to re-assemble the core of our U-18 NT coached by Franz Pumaren then add a few collegiate stand-outs to round-up the team. We might as well have this same team represent us in the 2009 SEA Games.

So while the PBA-backed NT is busy preparing for the 2009 FIBA Mens Championship, the youth NT will be busy on their own. Makes sense, don't you think? ;)

D_I_A
09-08-2008, 12:49 AM
It has been a nagging question in my mind why the Philippines, despite our rich tradition in university/college hoops never bothers to send a NT composed of our best collegians to the biennial World University Games.

Bangkok was the 2007 host and that would have been the opportune time for us to participate but it appears this tournament is still under the SBP's radar. You guys still remember the Japan team that beat our Mens Team in the 2007 Jones Cup? It was the same team Japan sent to the Bangkok Universiade and it eventually placed 4th to Lithuania, Serbia & Canada (losing only by 6 pts. to the Canadians in the bronze game).

I'm not aware of any FIBA qualifiers for this tournament but even if there was, we'll be strong contenders to qualify since the Universiade allows 24 mens and 16 womens basketball teams. In 2007, the Asian participants were: Japan, China, S.Korea, Taiwan, Kazakhstan & host Thailand!

The only basic requirements are for the participant athletes to be registered University students w/ a minimum age of 17 and a max age of 27.

Btw, the next Universiade will be in Belgrade, Serbia on July 2009. I see this as the best opportunity to re-assemble the core of our U-18 NT coached by Franz Pumaren then add a few collegiate stand-outs to round-up the team. We might as well have this same team represent us in the 2009 SEA Games.

So while the PBA-backed NT is busy preparing for the 2009 FIBA Mens Championship, the youth NT will be busy on their own. Makes sense, don't you think?* ;)

whoever wins the PCCL will represent the country for the Universiade Games

CrossOver
09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Kaya kelangan galingan ng mga RP College Team, napaka importate ng PCCL this year. Just imagine legitimate College Champion yung team nila ng bansa natin representative pa sila ng RP sa World University Games!

pachador
09-08-2008, 11:27 AM
naisip ko if we really want a world title bad, the PSC(phil sports commission) can create a so-called sports university tapos i-enroll doon ang RP national team na composed of 27 years and younger* *;D* *tapos yun ang ipadala sa university games. i wonder if U27 RP national "PBA" team will place in the top 6 of the world ??* :D

>>The only basic requirements are for the participant athletes to be registered University students w/ a minimum >>age of 17 and a max age of 27.

D_I_A
09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
naisip ko if we really want a world title bad, the PSC(phil sports commission) can create a so-called sports university tapos i-enroll doon ang RP national team na composed of 27 years and younger* *;D* *tapos yun ang ipadala sa university games. i wonder if U27 RP national "PBA" team will place in the top 6 of the world ??* :D

>>The only basic requirements are for the participant athletes to be registered University students w/ a minimum >>age of 17 and a max age of 27.

Similar in Australia. Dapat lahat ng sports na may potential ang Pinas na magkaginto sa olympics

Nike Air
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
bakit hindi na lang bumuo ng all star lineup mixing all the best collegiate talent in the philippines? tingin ko mas may laban ito kesa naman ipadala lang yung mananalo sa pccl. puede ding yung mananalong national champion e kumuha ng mangilan-ngilang players sa ibang schools to reinforce their team sa world university games.

Butata
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Dapat talaga di lang yung champion ng PCCl ang ipadala. In fact, puede nga hugutin sila Japeth Aguilar at Gian Chiu kasi students din naman sila at very much qualified sa Universiade.

Kailangan di maging sarado mata ni Eala at SBP dito. ;)

CrossOver
09-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Pwedeng mag focus SBP dito imagine yung mga kasali sa *buong mundo* ang makaharap natin. RP failed na mag qualified sa 2009 FIBA World U19 Men Basketball Championship beside hindi pa tayo sigurado na mag qualify tayo sa 2010 World Basketball Championship. Dito sa World University Games all we have to do is mag Champion sa PCCL para malaman sino ang representative ng RP team.

*edited*

pachador
09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Regarding the 2009 World University games:

1.) college students in western countries are aged 18 to 22 on average because their high school is 2 years longer than the Philippines. if we send our U18 or U19 team they might be be massacred by the more experienced older university teams from western* countries. This is also why the wolrd university games have an upper age limit of 27 years old to take into consideration varsity players who are taking masteral studies.

3.) a lot of countries have so-called sports institutes or sports universities where their best athletes are enrolled for sports science classes . the Philippine sports commision or even Univ of philippines(which has a college of kineseology ba yun?) can enroll the "PBA" national team composed of PBA players under the age of 27 years old to be supplemented by Japeth, and Slaughter, and Rabeh and some other college players. for example 6 of the best college players and 6 of the best U27 PBA players. This mixed team will be our university team to send to the World university games coached by the Serbian coach together with Yeng 'the nationalist" haha Guiao.

This is one good way to give elite high level experience to our U27 national team !!!!

CrossOver
12-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Congrats DLSU PCCL 2008 Champion next naman itong WUG 2009

PilipinasFan
05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
i think the philippines is not yet a member of the body that organizes basketball in the universiade., so unfortunately, la salle, the pccl champions, can not field their team.,