PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 15: DLSU Green Archers vs. FEU Tamaraws

bigfreeze_bibby
09-07-2008, 10:51 AM
After that stunning defeat to the hands of their arch-rivals, The Green Archers will now try to get back in the groove and get that twice to beat advantage via their knock out game against the FEU Tamaraws this Thursday. Last time around, Andy Barroca killed the Archers with his stunning performance on both ends of the floor and made mockery of all DLSU players who guarded him. Jvee Casio was not on sync as well on that game because of a fever but he tried to rally back the Archers as much as he could.

I think the real season for the Archers starts this Thursday and they should play their best games from here on. The keys to victory will still be the same. First, other should step up in scoring and not simply watch the Jvee Casio show because when Jvee is low-bat, others are still finding it difficult to fill in those shoes. Maybe madali in games against NU or UP but in big games, other guards like Barua, Malabes, Atkins, and Revilla seem to find difficulty in stepping up and filling in as court generals and leaders on the floor for the Archers.

Next is on the scoring department, when Jvee is absent in scoring, no one wants to take over that role. Rico is trying hard to fill in that role but his decision making is not yet sharp to be the offensive leader of the team. The next best offensive player that I see is Mangahas but at times, he still also lacks mental sharpness of becoming an offensive leader just like what Jvee does for the team. But I am hoping that someone will step up on that role for this game as there will be no tomorrow for us on this game.

Boxing out of big men and interior defense is the next important keys to victory for the Archers on Thursday. Unless Ferdinand and Walsham show up their real worth in manning the pivot position, the Archers will forever rely on a relatively thin frontline of Villanueva, Mangahas, and Maierhofer which will find it difficult to match an equally talented FEU frontline of Cervantes, Adolfo, Ramos, Cawaling, and Baracael, who is now showing that he is slowly getting back on the groove after suffering a traumatic shot months ago.

I feel that if La Salle won't be able to control the interior offense and strength of the Tamaraws then it will be a long day for the Archers as the Tamaraws are also good in putting up a good outside game courtesy of Fernandez, Sanga, Knuttel, and Barroca who can light up from all parts of the perimeter in any given day. I think FEU is the more favored team to win here because of bench depth and team quality and the Tamaraws have shown this in their second round win against the Archers.

In-game adjustments will be important and for me, whoever makes the faster adjustment during the game will win this first game of a virtual best of three series for DLSU and FEU since both of them will fight as well for the second finals seat. Goodluck to the Archers on this one.

ANIMO LA SALLE!

oca
09-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Casio will not have two bad games in row. Great players never have those on consecutive games. But even when Casio shows his true form, it may not be enough for DLSU.

To win, DLSU must make sure they don't get clobbered off the boards. You won't convert on every first attempt, and if you can't give yourself enough second chance points, tagilid kayo. Hindi kakayanin ni Maierhofer mag-isa sa gitna. Franz can* tell the boys to crash the boards all game long, paulit-ulit. But you can be sure Abuda on the other side has imparted some wisdom on the kids from Morayta.

With due respect to bfb, I don't think the second round meeting has any relevance to this game. FEU won that game on the strength of the guards. DLSU's PG rotation then was crippled with the absence of Atkins. The kid showed competitive form vs Ateneo yesterday, that should even up things at the back court.

Sa gitna ito magkakatalo, imo.

But with a line-up out of the F4 these past 2 seasons, your opponents have yet to prove they can rise to the next level. Kaya kung magiging dikitan, until FEU proves otherwise, DLSU should have the advantage.

Paano gagawing dikitan ito ni Franz?

Sino ba tayo to second guess the man. ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah sir oca. I have to admit na makeshift lang ang frontline namin due to PJ and Ferdie not performing that well and being outplayed by their respective counterparts. Up to now, I still think that they will be the x-factors if DLSU wants to repeat this year. Mahihirapan talaga kami kung aasa lang kami sa frontline nila Rico, Maui, and James. It will be a big bonus if Jovet Mendoza can contribute a little bit should coach Franz decide to field him in the crucial games.

shyboy
09-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Kapag pumutok ulit yung Barroca against us, bibilib na ako sa kanya.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Kapag pumutok ulit yung Barroca against us, bibilib na ako sa kanya.

Be careful with what you with for sir, delikado yan hehe. Barroca was so confident in our second round game na halos humingi ng clear out every time he gets the ball on the offensive end as if kayang-kaya niya lahat ng bantay na itapon natin sa kanya.

nel
09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Barroca was "feeling it" during our last game. It seemed that he could do nothing wrong in the 2nd half, and really played what might be the game of his life.

In the same token, JV was terribly off yesterday, and only broke the scoring ice in the 4th quarter.

It's not likely that both will have the same kind of game on Thursday.

Rektikano
09-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm not so sure if Franz will use JWalsh and Ferdie for along time against FEU. FEU's big men (Cervantes and Ramos) are mobile and Franz might feel that di makakasabay sina JWalsh and Ferdie. So in the series against FEU, expect to see a frontline of Rico, James and Maui for long stretches.

This is gonna be a good series. Both teams are evenly match.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm not so sure if Franz will use JWalsh and Ferdie for along time against FEU. FEU's big men (Cervantes and Ramos) are mobile and Franz might feel that di makakasabay sina JWalsh and Ferdie. So in the series against FEU, expect to see a frontline of Rico, James and Maui for long stretches.

This is gonna be a good series. Both teams are evenly match.

I see this coming rek pero sana mag-adjust din tayo like in our second round match wherein foul trouble si Cervantes for almost one quarter (3rd quarter ata yun) and hindi pa rin tayo makasabay sa rebounding nila. We should've pounded the ball inside and katulad nga ng sinabi mo sa akin noon, Walsham should have been inserted kahit mga ilang minuto lang to see what he'll be able to do with a decimated FEU frontline.

Rektikano
09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
^^

In hindsight na lang nga 'to pre, but in that aforementioned quarter, both Cervantes and Ramos were on the bench with 3 personal fouls each. Coach Glenn didn't want to gamble kaya he put both on the bench for the 4th quarter grind. Feu's frontline were manned by Jun Tanuan, Marlon Adolfo and JR Cawaling and we couldn't make any headway. Rico wasn't able to impose since we all know he's not a back to the basket type of player. Maybe JWalsh could've been used to try to pound it inside. Kung baga, "mangmama" na siya. But I guess Coach Franz couldn't make the gamble and he was concerned that JWalsh might be left behind by Tanuan, Adolfo and Cawaling. That's why he had to match up with our 3 quick frontliners in James, Rico and Maui.

Btw, James should lessened his turnovers. In the game against Ateneo, he committed 6 turnovers.

Dark Knight
09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Inspite of the noise and hype of the ADMU - DLSU rivalry, the FEU vs DLSU rivalry is one of the most exciting if not controversial face offs we have witnessed for the past 12 years. But stats show that DLSU had FEU's numbers. How many times have they faced each other in the playoffs? And theres only two seasons that FEU emerged victorious against the mighty La Salle. 1997 and 2005.

This series will go the distance. The important thing is FEU should take the twice to beat advantage simply because if La Salle gain it, there is no way we can defeat La Salle twice in a row. La Salle is simply playing methodical basketball behind the genius of Franz. La Salle always finds a way to defeat us.

In the first round, Casio went berserk and was seconded by Barua in the second half, raining three's on all angles. In the second round, it was Barocca who's possessed. Who knows who will have their miracle game come thursday for both teams?

I hope Casio will have another bad day.* ;D Mangahas is a great offensive player, Maeirhofer is always there. FEU, well, i just hope Cawaling will prove his worth.

Another classic series in the offing for the unpopular rivalry. May the best team win.*

bandicoot
09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Casio will not have two bad games in row. Great players never have those on consecutive games. But even when Casio shows his true form, it may not be enough for DLSU.

To win, DLSU must make sure they don't get clobbered off the boards. You won't convert on every first attempt, and if you can't give yourself enough second chance points, tagilid kayo. Hindi kakayanin ni Maierhofer mag-isa sa gitna. Franz can* tell the boys to crash the boards all game long, paulit-ulit. But you can be sure Abuda on the other side has imparted some wisdom on the kids from Morayta.

With due respect to bfb, I don't think the second round meeting has any relevance to this game. FEU won that game on the strength of the guards. DLSU's PG rotation then was crippled with the absence of Atkins. The kid showed competitive form vs Ateneo yesterday, that should even up things at the back court.

Sa gitna ito magkakatalo, imo.

But with a line-up out of the F4 these past 2 seasons, your opponents have yet to prove they can rise to the next level. Kaya kung magiging dikitan, until FEU proves otherwise, DLSU should have the advantage.

Paano gagawing dikitan ito ni Franz?

Sino ba tayo to second guess the man. ;D

Tama ka diyan sir Oca. Pagdating sa dikdikan, diyan magaling si Konsehal Pumaren.

Rektikano
09-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Playoffs series history between La Salle and FEU since 1986, the year La Salle entered the UAAP.

1989 - La Salle defeated FEU in the championship, overcoming a twice to beat advantage by FEU in the series. La Salle's first ever UAAP basketball crown.

1991 - La Salle defeated FEU in the championship in 1 game with the twice to beat advantage. The championship was later awarded to FEU because of the Tonyboy Espinosa brouhaha.

1992 - FEU defeated La Salle in a knockout game for the right to face Adamson in the championship.

1994 - La Salle eliminated FEU in the final four in 1 game having the twice to beat edge. La Salle was #1 while FEU was #4.

1997 - FEU defeated La Salle in best of 3 championship series, 2-0.

1998 - La Salle defeated FEU in best of 3 championship series 2-0.

1999 - La Salle eliminated FEU in the final 4 in 1 game having the twice to beat edge. La Salle was #1 while FEU was #4.

2000- La Salle defeated FEU in best of 3 championship series 2-0.

2004 - La Salle defeated FEU in best of 3 championship series 2-1. Championship was given up by La Salle because of the Pep-test controversy.

2005- FEU defeated La Salle in best of 3 championship series 2-0. La Salle also gave up second place trophy for same reason stated above.

RockLobster
09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Can anyone post updates on today's game? Thanks!

gameface_one
09-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Can anyone post updates on today's game? Thanks!

DLSU - 62 FEU - 59. Final Score.

stonecold316
09-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats DLSU. Hope tuloy na kayo sa Finals.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
La Salle upped its defensive intensity for them to beat the Tamaraws earlier.* I liked the switching and ball denials done by the boys on FEU players to distract them from their game.* Although FEU made a run in the second quarter, it was more of the Archers losing focus on the offensive end kaya sila nanggigil din on the defense end and they lost on their respective man-marking rotation enabling the Tamaraws to seize an eight point lead.* But for the rest of the game, I felt that DLSU played better defense than FEU especially that 3rd quarter pressure defense blitz.

The defense somewhat compensated for the poor offensive performance of the Archers wherein most of the Archers' points came from fastbreaks from defensive opportunities.* Usually pag halfcourt sets medyo struggling kanina ang DLSU.* The FEU players lost focus as well during DLSU's second half run.* Nataranta din sila sa various pressure defense looks that the Archers had shown earlier.* Sana ganito rin yung defensive intensity that DLSU will show on the next games.* This might increase DLSU's chances of getting back in the finals.

Condolence to coach Jack Santiago and his family for his father who passed away at 6:15pm earlier tonight.* Our prayers are all with you and may his soul rest in peace.

GHRanger
09-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Here's an article on the game with the explanation on Franz's leave from the RP Youth team. Hopefully this puts a lot of questions and issues to rest.

http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080911-160049/La-Salle-beats-FEU-gains-twice-to-beat-advantage-in-semis

Kid Cubao
09-12-2008, 06:39 AM
congrats for that gutsy win. nag-iiba talaga ang karakter ng la salle pag postseason na. on to the final 4, guys.

The_Big_Cat
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
La Salle started the game slow. They came out on fire at the start of the 3rd quarter.
The Green Archers scored a lot of turnover points resulting from careless possessions by the Tams.

Rektikano
09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
But still mental lapses almost cost us the game. That offensive rebound putback-and 1 by Aldrech Ramos off a missed free thow was a killer. James Mangahas didn't box out Ramos or was confident that Cawaling would make his second that he felt he need not box Ramos out. Another was the bad pass by Bader off an inbounds. Granted, it was supposed to be Jvee or Simon (the guards) who should received the ball, the thing is, both were trapped. James was so open and he didn't pass him the ball. It resulted in an interception.

Breaks went our way in this game but I believe one should work hard for those breaks. We worked hard for it this game and we were rewarded.

Animo La Salle!

bigfreeze_bibby
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Kahapon naiinis ako sa mga mental lapses na yan but then I thought that we recovered din naman and worked hard on the defensive end to earn the breaks just like what you had said. Hindi lang yun yung mga deciding factors sa games and we could have won the game anyway in other instances pa in the game. The most crucial pa rin I guess was when Simon allowed to let Knuttel strip the ball from him and gave FEU the chance to force the game into overtime.

glock23
09-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Kahapon naiinis ako sa mga mental lapses na yan but then I thought that we recovered din naman and worked hard on the defensive end to earn the breaks just like what you had said.* Hindi lang yun yung mga deciding factors sa games and we could have won the game anyway in other instances pa in the game.* The most crucial pa rin I guess was when Simon allowed to let Knuttel strip the ball from him and gave FEU the chance to force the game into overtime.

BfB, it's playoff time and the players will really play tough! in fact yesterday tumbahan ang mga players at sobrang dumi na ng laro but hey, it's for all the marbles! Im expecting the same hard defense from both teams on sunday. As i said before, come final 4 iba na ang tawagan ng mga refs nyan. In fact ang isang sikat na flop artist and malamang ma frustrate dahil baka hindi na pansinin ang nga arte nya. :D

stonecold316
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Archers near UAAP Finals
By JONAS TERRADO

JV Casio re-emerged when needed most as defending champion De La Salle University nipped far Eastern University, 62-59, yesterday to bag the second twice-to-beat incentive in the semifinals of the UAAP basketball tournament at the Araneta Coliseum.

After shooting just 2-of-16 from the field for only five points against Ateneo last Saturday, Casio scored 10 second half points to finish with 16 despite a 7-of-18 shooting while adding four rebounds, four assists and two steals to lead the Green Archers to the win at the start of the two squads’ "Best-of-three" semifinals.

"His performance is a very good sign of a great player by bouncing back from a horrible shooting and at the end of the day we completely trust JV," La Salle coach Franz Pumaren said.

Rico Maierhofer added 14 points and 10 rebounds, Peejay Barua made 10 points on 4-for-9 shooting while Bader Malabes scored all of his nine points in the third quarter as La Salle overcame an eight-point second quarter deficit.

The Archers held a commanding 15-point lead, 56-41, with 7:51 left and then held off the Tamaraws in the closing seconds with JR Cawaling missing a game-tying three-point attempt before the final buzzer.

"I think we lost a little poise down the stretch, I think the constant complaining of (FEU head coach) Glenn Capacio took its toll, they got the sympathy calls" said Pumaren.

With the victory, all La Salle need now is to beat FEU on Sunday to make a return trip to the finals and defend its title.

After a slow second half, the Archers worked their way up behind Malabes, Casio, Maierhofer and Barua, who combined for 12 points to give the Archers the upperhand, 47-39, going into the final 10 minutes.

After the game, Pumaren dedicated the game to Sofronio Santiago, father of Green Archers assistant coach Jack Santiago, who passed away at 6:15 p.m. at the Manila Doctors Hospital, almost a few minutes after the game, due to complications from numerous illnesses.

According to Pumaren, this was the reason why he had to leave the RP Youth Team who was campaigning in Tehran, Iran last week. He claimed that the younger Santiago, who handled the Green Archers in his absence, had to spend more time with his ailing father.

Pumaren was recently questioned by critics after leaving Iran in the midst of the RP campaign in the FIBA Asia Youth Championships, leaving his brother Derrick to take over the coachiung chores in the Nationals’ remaining games.

"I went home because I want him (Santiago) to spend more time with his father," a tearful Pumaren said. "I am close to his family, it’s just right to give him more time to see his dad in his last remaining days, and then I’m going to get that crap, I don’t think I deserve that."

"Well this is a victory that we can remember, we’re happy we won. It’s just unfortunate that it happened, maybe that’s why Cawaling’s shot missed because Jack’s dad interfered,"he added.

The scores:

DLSU 62 – Casio 16, Maierhofer 14, Barua 10, Malabes 9, Atkins 6, Villanueva 3, Mangahas 3, Revilla 1, Walsham 0, Bagatsing 0, Ferdinand 0.

FEU 59 – Cervantes 14, Fernandez 13, Baracael 10, Sanga 5, Barroca 5, Cawaling 4, Tanuan 3, Ramos 3, Knuttel 2, Alisbo 0, Cabagnot 0.

Quarters: 8-10, 23-25 47-39, 62-59.