RJ Jazul
Chris Tiu - ???
the debuting PBL fil-ams
Japeth Aguilar - ???
Ronnie Matias
Gester Ebeun

mighty_lion
09-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Maglalaro pa si Ababou sa UST next year.

cub
09-02-2008, 10:10 AM
pretty deep draft next year. how about Mac Baracael and Benedict Fernandez? also Bambam Gamalinda.

sa_pula
09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Maglalaro pa si Ababou sa UST next year.

diba sir magkasabay si ababou at arellano?..si Thiele at llagas pa bka magpa draft narin.

The_Big_Cat
09-02-2008, 10:22 AM
diba sir magkasabay si ababou at arellano?..si Thiele at llagas pa bka magpa draft narin.

pretty deep draft next year. how about Mac Baracael and Benedict Fernandez? also Bambam Gamalinda.

Malalaman natin ang mga katanungan niyo by next year.* ;D

Ababou has a year left but UST will be in rebuilding mode next year.
Baracael, Fernandez, Elmer Espiritu and Llagas will be available next year but they're not PBA-ready yet. Perhaps they may take the road what Jeff Chan had two years ago when Chan skipped the 2007 PBA Draft and stayed one more year in the PBL to hone up his skills.

Joescoundrel
09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Dylan Ababou is PBA ready with his all-around game and superb athleticism. At 6'4" and high skill levels across the board many PBA teams will find him very useful to their cause. He only needs to learn to play better on-ball defense, and also prepare himself to go up against players his size at the 3/2 position.

Speaking of UST players shouldn't Jervy Cruz be ready for the PBA as well by next year?

Rico Maeirhofer is another sure deal for a PBA roster spot with his freakish athleticism at a very long-limbed 6'5". He needs to get stronger though even if he does not necessarily get bulkier. He looks like a prototypical Air 21 forward with his leap, speed and versatility, perfect backup to Arwind Santos which will thus put pressure on JC Intal to really step it up and find his niche as well.

JV Casio is a superstar UAAP guard and is even a Gameface hardcore honoree. His excellent attitude and work habits will endear him to any PBA team. The real question is what position will he play and can he still get away with his slashing and driving in the PBA? LA Tenorio is finding out the hard way how hard it is to be a fulltime pointguard in the PBA. Casio will surely go through the same challenges.

Elmer Espiritu may want to work on expanding his game first for another year in the PBL and Liga before testing the PBA waters. I doubt if he'll get the same alley-oop dunks in the pros that he has in the UAAP.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sam Ekwe elected to become a Filipino citizen...?

coreytaylor
09-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Lottery Picks in 2009:
1. Jervy Cruz - UST
2. JV Casio - DLSU
3. Chris Tiu - ADMU
4. Elmer Espiritu - UE

wolfy
09-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I heard jason ballesteros is also joining the draft next year.

ilovedhay
09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Dino Daa, Rey Francis Guevarra and RJ Jazul will join next year PBA Draft

sa_pula
09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Hay...sayang wala nanaman draft pick ginebra.. :'(

wolfy
09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
maybe... greg slaughter?

m_14
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Lottery Picks in 2009:
1. Jervy Cruz - UST
2. JV Casio - DLSU
3. Chris Tiu - ADMU
4. Elmer Espiritu - UE

ano magiging position ni jervy cruz sa PBA?? small for a 5 or 4 and definitely slow at the 2 and 3.

time1513
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Lottery Picks in 2009:
1. Jervy Cruz - UST
2. JV Casio - DLSU
3. Chris Tiu - ADMU
4. Elmer Espiritu - UE

ano magiging position ni jervy cruz sa PBA?? small for a 5 or 4 and definitely slow at the 2 and 3.

i think Jervy will be a 4.... he's bulky and strong enough to bang with the boys naman eh... let's just hope that he develops that solid mid range jump shot. and he's smart... he can rebound because of him boxing out! :D

coreytaylor
09-08-2008, 06:21 AM

PF. although he's quite a little short, he has a wide body which is perfect for a pf.

The_Big_Cat
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM

No question Jervy will be a power forward in the PBA.

bchoter
09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Jervy also has long wingspan and huge hands. He already has a consistent medium range jumper but he needs to develop a tighter handle so he can mix up his medium range jumpers with drives thru the lane. He'll probably be guarded by the likes of Jondan Salvador who are strong enough to bang bodies inside and are quick enough to cover his jumpers or recover quickly if they bites to his fakes. Another thing going for him is that he is quick on the break. How many times have we seen him grab the defensive rebound and then finish the break off a pass from Japs? He's also shown the ability to handle the ball on the break and finish. At least better than Homer Se :D. But he needs to join the right team and a coach who doesn't bench their rookies just because they are rookies. Coach Yeng please.

m_14
09-08-2008, 06:12 PM

No question Jervy will be a* power forward in the PBA.
[/quote

power forward??? ala harvey carey???

bchoter
09-08-2008, 06:16 PM
One thing going for Carey is his athleticism which Jervy lacks.

wolfy
09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
what is jervy's advatage/s (if theres any) over ken bono and jr quinahan?

BigBlue
09-09-2008, 12:40 AM
what is jervy's advatage/s (if theres any) over ken bono and jr quinahan?

i can't put a finger on it, but jervy has this uncanny ability to be at the right place for the rebound. even rich alvarez wasnt that good.

bchoter
09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
He's got a better jumper than JR and is more mobile than Ken.

m_14
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM
no doubt about jervy getting drafted because of his achievements and the way he dominates the UAAP but the question is can he really mix it up with the big guys in the pros?? ken bono as well as jr quinahan had their own domination back when they're still in the amateurs dba?? even rico villanueva dominated the UAAP.

bchoter
09-09-2008, 11:12 AM
At least Enrico had his moments with Red Bull. His game tapered off sharply when he moved to SMB and then PF. Just goes to show the importance of playing in a team that needs you and a coach who will let you play. That's why we have a thread on college stand outs who failed to make it big in the pros.

coreytaylor
09-09-2008, 02:58 PM
no doubt about jervy getting drafted because of his achievements and the way he dominates the UAAP but the question is can he really mix it up with the big guys in the pros?? ken bono as well as jr quinahan had their own domination back when they're still in the amateurs dba?? even rico villanueva dominated the UAAP.

bono and quinahan did not really dominated the amateurs but they were considered as one of the elites. kung ilagay mo sila sa isang pbl team sa pbl, which is an amateur league, eh maganda talaga mapapakita nila kasi sila ang mga GO-TO-GUYS. They were given a lot of minutes and talagang ginagamit sila ng mga coaches nila. but when they went to the PBA, they became nothing more but bench players. dami kasing magagaling pa sa kanila unlike in the pbl. with no playing time given to them, wala talaga silang mapapakita.

i agree with sir bchoter with regards to rico. alam naman natin na maganda talaga na-ipakita ni rico noon sa red bull coz wala naman talaga siyang ka-kompetensiya sa center position (except mik pennisi which is his back-up) at isa talaga si rico noun sa mga go-to-guys ng read bull at lagi siya nabibigyan ng malaking playing time ni coach yeng. nung nawala na sila devon harp, rico was only red bull's most realible big man kaya siya na-develop ng husto. with a lot of exposure, eh sino ba namang di ma-develop ng husto? after several seasons have passed specially after they have won the championship (forgot the year), when carlos sharma came, rico minutes began to decline. maganda rin kasi pinapakita ni carlos sharma nun at di na rin masyado nabibigyan ng playing time si rico ni coach yeng.

Like what sir bchoter said, it shows the importance of playing in a team that needs you and a coach who will let you play.

wolfy
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Team that will let Jervy play... maybe, sta. lucia, red bull or rain or shine/welcoat.

a_ron
09-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Jerby fits sa Ginebra back up for Menk and replacement for the future and it will be better for him para Menk can teach him the tricks coz practically they plays similarly...

Joescoundrel
09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Jervy Cruz is a little small relative to the big brutes playing the 4 and 5 spots in the PBA now. He was not able to dominate in the PBL with Hapee the way he dominated in the UAAP with UST. Hapee often went to Larry Rodriguez and Francis Mercado as their combination at 4 and 5, with Mark Borboran alternating at the 4 and 3 depending on the five on the floor. Cruz will have to extend his range and improve his handles and his recognition as a passer so that he can bring more to the table in the pros.

You have to love his ability to rebound though, and he gets it done with a lot of very good positioning and an explosiveness into the air I haven't seen in any player in a long while. Cruz seems to automatically get up in the air with his whole body and not just through extension of his arms; you can see him grabbing that ball out of the air with his huge mitts but also with those broad and strong shoulders and the entire back practically deflecting opposing players away while he is in the air. In this sense he is a far better rebounder than the likes of Rich Alvarez and Arwind Santos who relied more on leap and length. Cruz's body just seems better able to launch itself whole into the air.

I believe a nifty jab-step, two-dribble drive or crossover dirbble punctuated with a step-back jumper from say 16 to 17 feet would serve Cruz in very good stead in the PBA. Maybe he should get Dylan Ababou to teach him some good dribble and perimeter moves to add to his repertoire.

untamed
09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
i think the draft next year will be more interesting than this year. most of the college talents will be applying for the next year's draft....

Schortsanitis
09-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Here's my "theory" about Jervy Cruz's game:

http://rhk111.byethost14.com/2007/11/01/jervy-cruzs-game/

joelex
09-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Ust and its long line of dominant MVP and/or M5 caliber bigs: Cantonjos, Ortiguerra, Rey Evangelista, Espino, Latoreno, Espiritu, Yee, Allan Evangelista.

Of all mentioned, only Espino went on to become one of the best at his position. He is joined only by Rey Evangelista as the one who had a prominent PBA career. Allan Evangelista is still young but to date he hasnt lived up to expectations since his very productive finall UAAP season. The rest were major disappointments in the pros or has never made it in the first place.

Jervy being undersized for the PBA game(6-3?) may not be a good sign as his fellow ex-Tigers had difficulty overcoming such disadvantage, but like what Schortsanitis said there may be intangibles that could propel him to a successful career ahead.

bchoter
09-16-2008, 01:12 AM
For now I look at Jervy as a role player.

KingRedLion
09-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Had Jervy been taller, say around 6'5" at least, he'd be more like the 2nd coming of Benjie Paras. How tall is he anyway?

¡ánimo San Beda!

nash_bedista
09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I see Jervy as Alvin Patrimonio without 3pt shooting.

shyboy
09-16-2008, 08:42 PM
^ Yup, parang mas kasing-laro ni Jervy Cruz si Patrimonio. Same height and built, same moves around the paint. Konting bangga sa bantay tapos biglang aangat na para tumira. Kumakalabaw pero with some finesse.

bchoter
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
The 3-point shot is within Jervy's range. He's hitting them in scrimmages. If he needs this shot in the pros I'm sure he has a good chance at developing it.

-insane-
09-28-2008, 04:29 PM
si rico maglalaro pa daw sa DLSU

-insane-
09-28-2008, 04:58 PM
my 2009 PBA draft prospects

Fil-foreign
Joseph Deas, a 5-foot-11 guard from Rockhurst University
Jason Jackson, a 6-foot-2 guard from Western New Mexico College

Fil-Ams
Chriss Ross
Josh Vanlandingham
Anthony Davis
Edwin Torres, Jr

Fil-Australians
Christopher Pails
Reighner Macasaet
John Rowe

Fil-Canadians
Keith Erwin Cayanong
Janzen Castillo

Fil-Arab
Khalif Fortune

Fil-German Thomas Wagner

BBALLFAN1
11-06-2008, 05:51 AM
off the bat, these are the players whom I think will join next year's draft:

JV Casio
Rico Maierhoffer
Jervy Cruz
Elmer Espiritu
Dylan Ababou
Marcy Arellano
Ford Arao
Edwin Asoro
Ogie Menor
RJ Jazul
Chris Tiu - ???
the debuting PBL fil-ams
Japeth Aguilar - ???
Ronnie Matias
Gester Ebeun

What about the Chris's?
Chris Ross and Chris Timberlake

McCoy
06-19-2009, 10:34 AM
- Ronnie Matias 6-4 - can play 2,3 and 4, another PBA bruiser in the future

Wang-Bu
06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Ewan ko lang kung may paglagyan ang Chris Ross at Chris Timberlake. Parang mahihinang version sila ng iba pang Fil-Am na mga guards sa PBA gaya nina Sol Mercado, Mike Cortez, Jimmy Alapag at Jayjay Helterbrand.

m_14
06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Had Jervy been taller, say around 6'5" at least, he'd be more like the 2nd coming of Benjie Paras. How tall is he anyway?

¡ánimo San Beda!

around 6-2, 6-3 lang si jervy..i think he's not suitable for the pba.

weward
06-27-2009, 09:50 AM

¡ánimo San Beda!

around 6-2, 6-3 lang si jervy..i think he's not suitable for the pba.

yep jervy is about 6-3,6-4 w/shoes..
he's too small for PBA..i saw him in UST last school year right in front of me for about 3-5 minutes standing,my friends and i were at his back and measuring if we can block jervy,and i think we can ;D,hehe,and he is small..he is big but not big as for a BIG MAN.
i stand about 5-8/5-9..and i am near jervy's lower lip..

Joescoundrel
06-27-2009, 10:38 AM
- Ronnie Matias 6-4 - can play 2,3 and 4, another PBA bruiser in the future

Ronnie Matias could be the next Junthy Valenzuela, that kind of versatility, but with better size, length and athleticism. He does not yet have the shooting and overall scoring of Valenzuela, but he is definitely a better one-on-one and on-ball defender, better rebounder and better scorer in the lane.

Joescoundrel
06-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I see Jervy as Alvin Patrimonio without 3pt shooting.

Let's just say that Jervy Cruz is not a known three-point shooter, but has enough skill now to reasonably make the outside shot a part of his game. His challenge will be how to expand his game enough to be a decent pro. In college he used his great footwork, patience and intelligence to great effect, winning a championship and getting namend MVP. That does not necessarily translate to the pro game though, where everybody at his college position of 4/5 is at least three inches taller and 20 pounds heftier with way more talent than the 5's and 4's he battled as a Growling Tiger.

Certainly he will not be able to keep playing as he has the way say a Don Allado or an Enrico Villanueva did when they turned pro. Those two essentially didn't change positions when they turned pro, remaining as power-playing 4/5 types. But then again they are legitimately in the neighborhood of 6'5" to 6'6" and on the muscular side of 220 pounds. Jervy should be generously measured off at maybe 6'4" in his sneakers and close to 200 pounds with his car keys, cell phone and MP3 player.

Jervy might want to take several pages out of Leo Najorda's book. Najorda was able to make the transition from star college big man to solid pro combo-forward thanks to constant work on his perimeter shooting, both off his own dribble and from passes, his ability to take a few dribbles driving on his strong side, and learning to take quick turnaround jumpers from either elbow. I believe Jervy has the tools to do all of these as well, and might get that chance if he gets to a team that will give him those opportunities, like say Barako Bull or Rain Or Shine.

joelex
06-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Ross, Jervy, Maierhoffer, Matias. Any other prospects to contend for the 1-7 picks? CMIIW but seems like no ones left to make a solid impact in the pros in this draft.

bchoter
07-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Burger King just sent Arwind to SMB. Looks like BK is opening up a slot in their 3-spot.

Joescoundrel
07-14-2009, 08:56 AM
^ Pare, I think the Arwind Santos move is meant to bring in a couple of veterans, not rookie-draftees. I believe San Miguel is going to send relatively young guys like Sam Eman and Ken Bono to Burger King. Those two should profit form having Wynne Arboleda, Mark Yee and Gary David at the wings.

McCoy
07-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Top Ten pick ko for this year draft

Japeth Aguilar
Rico Maerihoffer
Jervy Cruz
Ronnie Matias
JV Casio
Chris Tiu (if pa-draft sya)
Chris Ross
Marcy Arellano
Ogie Menor
RJ Jazul

elvis
07-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Top Ten pick ko for this year draft

Japeth Aguilar
Rico Maerihoffer
Jervy Cruz
Ronnie Matias
JV Casio
Chris Tiu (if pa-draft sya)
Chris Ross
Marcy Arellano
Ogie Menor
RJ Jazul

Since Chris and JV are with the Smart-Gilas and are supposedly under a 3-year contract, I suppose they can't join the draft just yet, could they? Unless of course they have an out in their contracts.

McCoy
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
nasa Smart Gilas nga pla si Chris Tiu and Jayvee Casio and pati si RJ Jazul.

palit ko na lng si Chris Timberlake, Dino Daa and Jason Ballesteros

JonarSabilano
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
nasa Smart Gilas nga pla si Chris Tiu and Jayvee Casio and pati si RJ Jazul.

palit ko na lng si Chris Timberlake, Dino Daa and Jason Ballesteros

Ballesteros is also with Smart Gilas.

McCoy
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Top 5 na nga lng pick ko

1. Japeth Aguilar
2. Rico Maerihoffer
3. Jervy Cruz
4. Ronnie Matias
5. Chris Ross

stonecold316
07-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Which team has the number 3 pick?

The_Big_Cat
07-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Which team has the number 3 pick?

No. 1 Burger King (from Barako Bull)
No. 2 none (forfeited by Shell)
No. 3 Purefoods
No. 4 Burger King
No. 5 Rain Or Shine
No. 6 Alaska
No. 7 Sta. Lucia Realty
No. 8 Barangay Ginebra
No. 9 Burger King (from Talk ‘N’ Text)
No. 10 San Miguel Beer.

McCoy
07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
2009 PBA draft

No. 1 Burger King (from Barako Bull) -- Japeth Aguilar
No. 3 Purefoods -- Rico Maerhoffer
No. 4 Burger King -- Jervy Cruz
No. 5 Rain Or Shine -- Ronnie Matias
No. 6 Alaska -- Chris Ross
No. 7 Sta. Lucia Realty -- Marcy Arellano
No. 8 Barangay Ginebra -- Ogie Menor
No. 9 Burger King (from TNT)
No. 10 San Miguel Beer.

Hula lang mga kaibigan

stonecold316
07-17-2009, 02:27 PM
2009 PBA draft

No. 1 Burger King (from Barako Bull) -- Japeth Aguilar
No. 3 Purefoods -- Rico Maerhoffer
No. 4 Burger King -- Jervy Cruz
No. 5 Rain Or Shine -- Ronnie Matias
No. 6 Alaska -- Chris Ross
No. 7 Sta. Lucia Realty -- Marcy Arellano
No. 8 Barangay Ginebra -- Ogie Menor
No. 9 Burger King (from TNT)
No. 10 San Miguel Beer.

Hula lang mga kaibigan

Jervy Cruz to Burger King? If that happens, tag team partners na sila ni Ken Bono sa loob. Gandang combination nito.
;) ;) ;)

Ogie Menor to Ginebra? Not bad indeed.

time1513
07-17-2009, 05:08 PM
weak draft. Japeth lang talaga ang legit!

then they let go of arwind santos..... might be a risk but i think japeth is the real deal

Joescoundrel
07-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I wonder if the likes of Ian Mazo, Neil Pascual, Francis Allera and Badong Canlas can make the pros? All of these guys are classic tweeners, tweeners with above-average skills to be sure, but still tweeners.

Allera for instance played a lot of forward in college, essentially a 3/4, but there is no way he will do that in the PBA. At best he is looking at a swing position as the 3/2.

Pascual was a very productive if undersized 4/5 in college, worked hard off both boards and worked the low block pretty good, but no way is he going to be at that position in the PBA at barely 6'3" in his sneakers.

joelex
07-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Are Joey Deas and Theophile applying for the draft? How can you describe their games and probable impact in the pros?

BBALLFAN1
07-21-2009, 10:47 PM
http://www.christimberlake.com/index.php?p=1_5

chris timberlake blog...

m_14
07-31-2009, 11:06 AM
can somebody please post the complete list of this years draft applicants??

bluegirl
07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
can somebody please post the complete list of this years draft applicants??

Group 1 (yellow) — Japeth Aguilar, Josh Urbiztondo, Sean Co, Ronnie Matias, Bryan Faundo, Marlon Adolfo, Charleston Bocias, Kim Macanig, Axel John Doruelo, Jim Viray, Luis Palaganas, Leemore Boliver, and Glenn Bolocon.

Group 2 (white) — Jervy Cruz, Chris Ross, Roel Hugnatan, Filemon Fernandez III, Orlando Daroya, Richard Saladaga, Dino Daa, Robert Labagala, Jonathan Pinera, Jorel Canizares, Gerry Orera, Ramsey Williams, and Jerome Cenita.

Group 3 (blue) — Ogie Menor, Rico Maierhofer, Chris Timberlake, Benedict Fernandez, John Walsham, Francis Allera, Jemal Vizcarra, Roser Mangahas, Jerby Del Rosario, Charles Water, Floyd Dedicatoria, Edwin Asoro, and Jan Philip Villaver.

Group 4 (red) — James Sena, Marcy Arellano, Kevin White, Michael Burtscher, Chris Viardo, Howard Saddi, Hafer Mondragon, Raymond Agular, Allan Evangelista, Andro Quinday, Emmanuel Malasig, Jobe Nkemakolam, Mark Benitez, and Jonathan Uyloan.

from manila bulletin

billbordzz
08-02-2009, 02:12 AM
wala bang updates regarding sa rookie camp??? hayyysss

crazybedan
08-02-2009, 02:02 PM
televised ba PBA draft sa cs9?wala p ako BTV sa sky eh hehhehe

pepman
08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
televised ba PBA draft sa cs9?wala p ako BTV sa sky eh hehhehe

Delayed daw, 3pm ang draft, eh 6pm pa ite-telecast.

bchoter
08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Jervy goes to Rain or Shine. Ogie Menor was drafter by Barako Bull. Francis Allera has not shed his stripes. He goes to the Coca Cola Tigers

Joescoundrel
08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I find it a little surprising that no one took a chance on Jim Viray, although considering there are only two drafting rounds...

Perhaps it is high time the draft was extended into the third round at least.