PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 13: DLSU Green Archers vs. AdU Soaring Falcons

bigfreeze_bibby
08-29-2008, 03:36 PM
After a resounding win over the Growling Tigers, The Green Archers will now move on and face the dangerous Adamson Soaring Falcons. This game will be a battle of two storylines for each squad. La Salle wants to keep in pace with FEU, whom they are tied with for the second spot and twice to beat advantage in the final four. While Adamson, on the other hand, will just want to finish strong this season playing as spoilers and a victory against the defending champs will give them a big boost towards the end of the season 71 campaign.

Lester Alvarez's injury changed the complexion of the Falcons' campaign this season. With only Jeric Cañada to lead the point guard chores, they dropped one game after another and it was not enough for frontcourt players such as Galinato, Agustin, Colina, and Gorospe to lead the charge for the San Marcelino-based squad. This weakness for sure will be at the forefront of the Archers' vaunted pressure defense to get easy points and blow the game wide open as early as possible. Despite Alvarez returning to action, it seemed that his game is not yet one hundred percent.

Should the Archers blow this game from the onset, it may pave way for coach Jack Santiago and coach Tyrone Bautista to experiment combinations in preparation for their all-important game on September 6 against their arch-rivals, the Ateneo Blue Eagles. Just be careful on being over confident and experimental that might hamper the victory for the Archers. They should always remember the debacle that Ateneo experienced last year when all they have to do is to beat a hapless NU team to get the twice to beat advantage in the step ladder series and yet they lost their concentration resulting to an NU win and the rest was history from then on.

I am still hoping for a resurrection game from La Salle's front men namely Walsham and Ferdinand, who still seemed lost at times. La Salle has been lucky enough to have Maierhofer, Villanueva, and Mangahas alternating at the power forward and center spots and playing very tough defense to compensate their lack of bulk in the shaded area. The Archers still has so many weak points in its game especially the blanking guards Malabes and Bagatsing who are still yet to show their true form. I am not expecting another Jvee Casio explosion as I feel that it is not needed for this game.

I might even suggest that Jvee take relatively enough exposure for this game to give a chance to boost their confidence going to the last game of the season. I may even include Peejay Barua on this list to further increase his clutch as his scoring will be definitely needed the rest of the way until the season ends. His two missed free throws almost costed La Salle the game against UST yesterday after playing a superb performance while Casio was still silent. I expect La Salle to win this game due to better player quality and strategies both offensively and defensively. This will also strengthen La Salle's run towards the homestretch of this season.

ANIMO LA SALLE!

batangueño
08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
DLSU def. ADU in overtime, 84-79.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-31-2008, 10:50 PM
La Salle played lackluster basketball earlier. I have to give credit to Adamson as well for playing tough all throughout the game. Gonzalgo played the game of his life earlier sinking one big shot after another but it was LA Revilla who bailed DLSU out in overtime sinking a crucial three pointer off a broken play. DLSU was lucky enough to recover to their senses and dispose of the pressure-free Falcons and notch another crucial win in the eliminations for the battle for the 2nd twice to beat advantage.

It seemed that their movement was quite tentative for most stretches of the game and basang-basa yung mga plays that DLSU has been running earlier. Mark Agustin made way for his inside scoring and presence by making good positions in the shaded lane. When DLSU tried to double team him, Colina and Galinato made their presence felt by getting putbacks and giving them second chance opportunities via offensive rebounds.

Then DLSU shifted playing zone and then Gonzalgo started burning the Archers with long bombs and not just simply long bombs, it was very timely long bombs that kept the game close until the last 1 minute mark of the overtime. Mabagal ang rotation ng DLSU sa 2-3 zone defense nila kanina and it can be seen that there's confusion somewhere in the coverages in the zone which allowed Adamson to seal good holes and gaps to score points.

PJ Walsham made good use of this game for his exposure to get himself prepared for Saturday's clash against Ateneo wherein I feel that he will be needed to at least try and put handcuffs on Al Hussaini. Ferdinand was also inserted earlier as well, providing good defense on Galinato before DLSU shifted to a more athletic lineup using Villanueva and Maierhofer alternating in the pivot position. The bottomline is that DLSU played tentatively earlier and they almost play catch-up basketball the rest of the way.

I don't think that DLSU can win the game on Saturday if they still play the same way and attitude that they have shown earlier. Coach Franz is not yet sure of getting back to Manila to give shots for the Archers on their final 2nd round assignment and one of the important games that they'll play in the eliminations to get the twice to beat advantage. Remember that coach Franz is one of the coaches with better winning percentages in bagging the UAAP championship with a twice to beat advantage.