PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Courts and Venues

5FootCarrot
06-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Watching hardcore hoops can take us hoops junkies all over the Metro (and sometimes beyond). It can lead us to venture into the deepest, darkest reaches of inner-city Manila, to gyms that could be called "the pits" but are nevertheless important to us because they are places wherein we can get a hardcore hoops fix.

This thread aims to be the repository for directions on how to get to the various venues where college basketball games/tournaments are held.

Even though a tournament might not be considered hardcore, sometimes the venue could be considered as such for a number of reasons, which is why I can post the following questions for the benefit of UAAP fans everywhere:

How do you get to the Ninoy Aquino Stadium?

I understand that this is in the same compound as the Rizal Memorial, but I've been told that it's actually easier to get to the NAS via the Quirino Station (as opposed to Vito Cruz, which is near Rizal Memorial) if you are traveling by the LRT. Is this true?

ESCALERA JR.
06-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Thats right...but taking this route(Quirino Station) youlstill have to walk a few more steps to hop to another jeepney ride going to Harrison Plaza and viola! NAS at your doorstep.

LION
06-09-2006, 04:48 PM
^Nah. Mas malapit sa Vito Cruz, i.e., walking distance.

LION
06-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Talking about hardcore venues, bakit parang hindi pa yata nagkaroon ng offseason games sa gym ng La Salle?

oca
06-09-2006, 07:03 PM
^Nah. Mas malapit sa Vito Cruz, i.e., walking distance.

First, lets make it clear na hindi magkatabi ang RMC at NAS, though both are located within the premises of the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex (RMSC).

From the LRT- Vito Cruz Stn :
RMC is nearer, and the NAS is diagonally at the opposite side from the same station. Malayo lakarin ang NAS. One can take the padyak, pero you shell out 20pesos for that.

From the LRT- Quirino Stn :
This station is obviously not walking distance from either RMC or NAS. But if the games will be at the NAS, then I personally prefer to get off from this stn. Sa baba ng station, on the southbound direction, there are jeepneys turning right towards San Andres (Dakota-Harrison route). Etong byaheng ito dadaan mismo sa tawid (tapat) ng NAS. Will just cost you pesos7.50 (as against the 20pesos taking the padyak from Vito Cruz).

shyboy
06-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Talking about hardcore venues, bakit parang hindi pa yata nagkaroon ng offseason games sa gym ng La Salle?

Di pwede madumihan yung gym. Tuwing merong maglalaro or merong aapak sa court, merong kasunod lagi na mopman para punasan yung dinadaanan. ;D

Seriously now, though I'm not sure if there have been tournaments held at the new DLSU gym (I say new coz I'm more familiar with the old one that was demolished), the St Benilde gym in La Salle GH has played host to a good number of leagues including the PBL.

5FootCarrot
06-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I must admit that I can't remember ever watching anything in NAS (except maybe this low-profile wrestling thing featuring Jake the Snake Roberts back in '94 ???) so I'm not too familiar with the venue, but I do know how to get to the RMSC from Vito Cruz thanks to my high school swimming class, which was held there. I guess that's a start :)

MargaretThrasher
06-14-2006, 03:16 PM
There aren't any hardcore games scheduled there right now, but better to be sure...

How do I get to the FEU Gym if I'm commuting? I know I have a shot of getting there if I take the Megatren/purple line to Recto Station, but after that I'm lost. ???

Joescoundrel
06-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Its best to start at Cubao when going to FEU Gym.

From Cubao you can take the Megatren and get off either at the Legarda Station or the Recto Station (end of their line). Either way it'll be a 10-15 minute walk. From Recto go north, in the general direction of Morayta (landmarks include a Yellow Cab Piza at the corner of Morayta and Recto). From Legarda cross the street and walk west toward the corner of Legarda and Recto, turn right at the Mercury Drug at that corner (landmark here is the main gate of UE, kapag hindi mo nadaanan ang UE you're on the wrong sidewalk). Turn right at the corner of Recto and SH Loyola (landmark is a McDo).

Note: FEU Gym is a separate structure from the main campus, its along R Papa street about 100 meters away from the main gate of FEU.

JonarSabilano
06-22-2006, 06:08 PM
There aren't any hardcore games scheduled there right now, but better to be sure...

How do I get to the FEU Gym if I'm commuting? I know I have a shot of getting there if I take the Megatren/purple line to Recto Station, but after that I'm lost. ???

You may also take an FX from Philcoa and get off at the McDonald's right after UST. Cross España via the pedestrian footbridge, then go into Morayta. R. Papa Street is located in front of what used to be the FEU Hospital. The FEU gym is right beside PSBA-Manila.

oca
06-23-2006, 08:30 AM

If you are taking the Megatren, get off at Legarda station. Tawid ka ng Legarda, then lakad papuntang Recto. Before Recto are delos Santos and Dalupan Streets. May mga pedicab dyan sa mga kanto. Naghahatid sila sa FEU. 15pesos yata singil nila.

Or pwede mo ring lakarin. Pasukin mo ang Dalupan St (formerly Gastambide) until you reach the corner of SH Loyola. Turn left, R.Papa would be about 2 short blocks from that corner. Feu gym is right at the middle of the stretch of R.Papa.

gameface_one
07-18-2006, 02:59 PM
This thread is a discussion about your favorite hoops court or venue. Which one provides the best wood, facilities, and ambiance?

Gameface.ph is also in the process of creating a directory of basketball venues. This will provide our members more info about court address directions, rates, and availablity.

gameface_one
07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
From Club 650:

The Battlegrounds of Basketball Glory

The clock was ticking, he dribbles down the court from a rebound play eluding defenders. He fakes to the right, back pedals and takes a fade-away jumper over his man on the last few seconds of the game releasing the ball at the peak of his jump. In a split second time froze, the whole world was in anticipation. What happened next was history. Michael Jordan made the greatest jump shot the world will remember on his way to claiming the Bulls’ 6th NBA title.

These moments of basketball glory will never be forgotten. For us true basketball enthusiasts the greatest basketball battles of our time will always be enshrined in the memories of those who are true hoops fanatics.

In 2004 a group of friends—all hoops enthusiasts, decided after years of dreaming to finally build a basketball ball court that has the exact quality and exact feel as all of the NBA basketball courts. On this year Clubsixfifty Sports Center was established. As you would imagine it became very popular amongst those who knew about it. For years they have wanted to bring one of the main ingredients that make a great basketball game closer and more real to all hoop fans in our country. Now, it is a reality.

Imagine having the same kind of court as the Boston and the Madison Square Gardens, the United Center and the Staples Centers in your own backyard. That was the vision, and in the past 2 years they have shared this vision to countless basketball enthusiast’s professional and amateur players alike form practice and recreational games, to tournaments of all shapes and sizes.

Clubsixfifty Sports Center’s has the only Grade-A Canadian Maple wood basketball made by court from Prestige floors of Canada that can be found in Manila. It has bi-panel power sleeper floor systems that reduce shock and impact by 33 percent. The Goals and backboard systems are all made by Porter. Its strength and stability is superb that you can literally hang a Toyota Corolla on it yet it won’t even budge an inch. Not even Shaq can bring this baby down!

The greatest basketball battles deserve to be played on the best battlegrounds. For us hoops enthusiasts it makes the competition and the thrill of playing the game more worthwhile. It is something only we can understand and each and everyone of us should experience. (Club650 is located at 150 E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave. Libis QC. For reservations call 6370.650. Website is www.club650.com)

BabbleBand97
07-19-2006, 04:36 PM
How about UE Gym? Papaano pumunta dun? Thanks!

allblue
07-19-2006, 05:12 PM
BabbleBand97, to go to UE Gym, it is best to take the LRT. Go down at the Legarda station. Cross the street then turn right on Gastambide. This will be the street right before Recto. Just go straight and the UE Gym will be on your left.

BabbleBand97
07-20-2006, 09:49 AM
BabbleBand97, to go to UE Gym, it is best to take the LRT. Go down at the Legarda station. Cross the street then turn right on Gastambide. This will be the street right before Recto. Just go straight and the UE Gym will be on your left.

thanks allblue! however, I'd prefer to bring a car since I would be bring my camera and gear... may parking ba dun? malapit naman sa san beda/san sebastian area diba? thanks again!

allblue
07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
^^ I think parking is just on the street, unless you can persuade the guard to allow you to park inside.

Malapit lang siya sa San Beda but on the opposite side, so that San Beda will be on your left and UE will be on your right, although not directly in front of each other. Same vicinity lang. :)

BabbleBand97
07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
^^ I think parking is just on the street, unless you can persuade the guard to allow you to park inside.

Malapit lang siya sa San Beda but on the opposite side, so that San Beda will be on your left and UE will be on your right, although not directly in front of each other. Same vicinity lang. :)

thanks again allblue! baka the best to do is to park sa CEU (tama ba?)... marami namang watch you car boys dun... then just walk... sige... thanks man!

christian
07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
yes pare, park your car either in SBC or CEU then take the stroll to the UE gym, don't forget to hide your gadgets while walking in Legarda/Recto or you might want to buy accessories for your gadgets there! :D

admuhs_upengg
07-20-2006, 11:22 PM
I watched my first game ever at the NAS today. Its not as bad as I expected. If they took out those fences that obstruct the view of the spectators in the upper box and put in those missing seats, it wouldn't ba half bad. It seems though that there is only one set of comfort rooms and only one functional entrance/exit--that's like a disaster waiting to happen.

BabbleBand97
07-21-2006, 08:06 AM
yes pare, park your car either in SBC or CEU then take the stroll to the UE gym, don't forget to hide your gadgets while walking in Legarda/Recto or you might want to buy accessories for your gadgets there! :D

thanks for the tip man! since it's a sunday morning, I am hoping that snatchers et al are still at church asking for forgiveness... lol :)... thanks and see you guys there!

lekiboy
07-21-2006, 06:14 PM
I watched my first game ever at the NAS today.* Its not as bad as I expected.* If they took out those fences that obstruct the view of the spectators in the upper box and put in those missing seats, it wouldn't ba half bad.* It seems though that there is only one set of comfort rooms and only one functional entrance/exit--that's like a disaster waiting to happen.

Guys,
Did you notice some very unsafe features of NAS - one exit and entry during games....I hope we already learned from the last stampede incident. This is one of the main reasons why I haven't brought my kids to watch the games.
...will greatly appreciate if you can escalate this to the organizers. Aside from being involved in our teams' perfomances, let's also focus on the safety and security of all the fans and players....
Thanks.

MVBA
07-23-2006, 03:00 AM
* * *Here is a list of venues used during the recent Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association ML Kwarta Padala First Conference

University of San Agustin Gym (General Luna Street, Iloilo City)
Pototan Astrodome (Pototan, Iloilo)
Talisay City Sports Center (Talisay City, Negros Occidental)
Marcelo A. Barba Sports Center (Toledo City, Cebu)
Pinamungajan Sports Complex (Pinamungajan, Cebu)
Mayor Experanza S. Binghay Memorial Sports Complex (Balamban, Cebu)
Mandaue City Cultural and Sports Complex (Mandaue City, Cebu)
New Cebu City Coliseum (Sanciangko Street, Cebu City)

Xavier University Gym (Corrales Avenue, Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental)
Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology Gym (Andres Bonifacio Drive, Iligan City, Lanao del Norte)
Maramag Gymnasium (Maramag, Bukidnon)
Almendras Gymnasium (Davao City)
Panabo City Gymnasium (Panabo City, Davao del Norte)
General Santos City Gymnasium (Lagao, General Santos City, South Cotabato)

Click on these related links:
Gameface MVBA Forum (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?board=30.0)
:) MVBA Friendster Account (http://www.friendster.com/mvba)

5FootCarrot
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
How do you get to Philsports/ULTRA if you are not going there by private car or taxi? It's a horrendously long walk from SM Megamall...

JonarSabilano
08-09-2006, 04:41 PM
How do you get to Philsports/ULTRA if you are not going there by private car or taxi? It's a horrendously long walk from SM Megamall...

You may take an FX going to Pasig at Robinson's Galleria or Megamall (behind Mega B, I think). It passes right in front of the DepEd compound, where PhilSports is located. Right at the corner of Shaw and Meralco Avenue.

bluewing
08-09-2006, 11:54 PM

suggestion lang naman:

kung nasa megamall ka na, mag-taxi ka na lang papuntang ULTRA. i'm guessing hindi ka naman mag-isa kung sakali. kesa mag-dyip kayo at magbayad kayo ng tig-PhP7.50, taxi na lang. wala nang tigil-tigil, wala pang alkabok. mga 40 to 50 pesos lang yan. kasi mga four months ago, mula SHAW hanggang ULTRA, wala pang 60 binayad ko eh.

AnthonyServinio
08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
There's an ULTRA-bound jeep located at the terminal at EDSA Central (that's the shopping center right across Shangri-La Mall)

bluewing
08-10-2006, 01:09 AM
* * *There's an ULTRA-bound jeep located at the terminal at EDSA Central (that's the shopping center right across Shangri-La Mall)

... pwede rin. para malapit sa MRT.

freak
08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
orayt.. now i know how to get there.. hehe..
dito lang sa ortigas office namain so i should be able to watch more games!

wahoo! ;D ;D

Mel
08-11-2006, 09:01 AM

Take the Tanay/Antipolo etc. jeeps..except the Pasig-Bayan from Shaw cor. Amber/Red Ribbon.
Sa Ultra bagsak nun...baba ka na lang sa Meralco Avenue once u see the Ultra
complex. 50 meters walk from Meralco Av.

freak
08-15-2006, 12:09 AM
hmm.. i know how to get there.. paano pala pabalik? ::)
anybody knows how to get to the Ortigas (Emerald) area from ULTRA? ;D

Mel
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Meralco Av. cor Ultra may jeep..puede ka bumaba bago umakyat ng Meralco flyover or
baba ka ng jeep bago lumiko ng Ortigas ext.

AnthonyServinio
08-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Meralco Av. cor Ultra may jeep..puede ka bumaba bago umakyat ng Meralco flyover or
baba ka ng jeep bago lumiko ng Ortigas ext.
Just make sure that the driver will let you ride and pay the proper minimum fare of PHP7.50. Some may be nasty and not allow you to ride unless you pay the full fare to its final destination in either Binangonan, Antipolo City or any of the towns in Rizal Province.

bluewing
08-15-2006, 03:35 PM

kung marami kayo, magtaxi na lang kayo. mga PhP 40 lang yan.

at di na kayo tatawid ng kalsada.

freak
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM

kung marami kayo, magtaxi na lang kayo. mga PhP 40 lang yan.

at di na kayo tatawid ng kalsada.

A taxi ride was my last option.. pero after Anthony's caution about the jeepney ride's complication..
I've decided to make my life simpler.. taxi nalang. ;D

thanks for the suggestions guys ;)

Mel
08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
walking distance na siya eh...parang gate 3 lang to Bellarmine Hall at the most ang layo.

bluewing
08-16-2006, 10:04 AM
walking distance na siya eh...parang gate 3 lang to Bellarmine Hall at the most ang layo.

ang difference lang ay masarap maglakad sa ateneo. dito hindi. walang puno eh.

freak
08-16-2006, 08:08 PM

ang difference lang ay masarap maglakad sa ateneo. dito hindi. walang puno eh.

exacto! panay usok makukuha ko dito. hehe.. baka pawisan pako pagdating sa office.. hehe ;D

joelex
12-12-2006, 05:17 AM
where can one find the most hardcore streetball courts?
where exactly is the much talked about bahay toro?

toti_mendiola
12-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Habang nandito sa Cagayan de Oro, makabisita nga sa xavier at makatuntong sa gym ng blue eagles dito.

lekiboy
12-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Habang nandito sa Cagayan de Oro, makabisita nga sa xavier at makatuntong sa gym ng blue eagles dito.

In Cavite - there is this place in cavite city - we call it the Montano hall... hardcore ang players and almost all good ones from cavite play in this venue...Very near to San Sebastian Cavite City...

LION
12-14-2006, 11:21 AM

OT:

Sa tapat ng Xavier (ADCU) may tindahan pangalan Cecil's. Their fruit pie is famous and the best I've ever tasted. Try it and you will surely like it. Ganda pa ng anak ng may ari na Ateneo stude. Tip - she minds the store during lunchbreak. :)

Jaco D
12-15-2006, 06:01 AM
^^ Pre,* Ilang fruit pie ang binili mong "tingi-tingi" para mapa-haba ang iyong pagmamasid sa kagandahan ng Cagayan de Oro?* ;)

LION
12-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Pre, just enough to give my wife and officemates a one week supply of the fruit pie. ;D

5FootCarrot
02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
How can one commute to San Sebastian Gym?

lekiboy
02-01-2007, 08:55 AM

hi carrot, take the LRT line 2 and alight at legarda station ( just beside san beda) .... walk along recto...SSC-R is just about 200 meters from there...

that mode is better than taking the jeepney, taxi or the bus... mura na, aircon pa...

oca
02-01-2007, 09:19 AM

hi carrot, take the LRT line 2 and alight at legarda station ( just beside san beda) .... walk along recto...SSC-R is just about 200 meters from there...

that mode is better than taking the jeepney, taxi or the bus... mura na, aircon pa...

Dagdag ko lang.

On weekends- particulary on Sundays, the Recto gate of San Sebastian College may be closed. Proceed to San Sebastian Church. Facing the chruch, on your right is the entrance of the school. If you are driving, there's adequate parking there on weekends.

I suppose maraming nakakaalam sa simbahan ng San Sebastian. The only all steel structure in the country. The second such structure to be built in the world after the Eiffel Tower.

Siyanga pala, dala kayo ng pamaypay at inumin.

JonarSabilano
02-01-2007, 09:50 AM
This is one court where I don't want to see basketball being played:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/sports/view_article.php?article_id=46797 >:(

Kid Cubao
02-01-2007, 09:53 AM
yes, sarado nga ang recto gate pag linggo as far as i recall. that means you have to walk past the intersection of recto and mendiola until you see the san sebastian church to your right. and then follow oca's instructions on how to get to the gym.

5FootCarrot
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the directions, guys. :) (Note to self - unearth map of Metro Manila to get a better lay of the land.)

Once I'm inside the school, will it be easy to locate the gym?

oca
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the directions, guys. :) (Note to self - unearth map of Metro Manila to get a better lay of the land.)

Once I'm inside the school, will it be easy to locate the gym?

Maliit lang ang boundaries ng campus, madali lang matunton yung gym. Just pray that the elevators will be operating at those hours/ days, otherwise aakayat ka ng anim na palapag! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MVBA
02-03-2007, 02:25 AM
* * *Here is a list of venues used during the recent Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association ML Kwarta Padala Second Conference

Talisay City Sports Complex (Talisay City, Cebu)
Mandaue City Cultural and Sports Complex (Mandaue City)
New Cebu City Coliseum (Sanciangko Street, Cebu City)

Xavier University Gym (Corrales Avenue, Cagayan de Oro City)
Liceo de Cagayan University Gym (Rodolfo N. Pelaez Boulevard, Cagayan de Oro City)
Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology Gym (Andres Bonifacio Drive, Iligan City)
Almendras Gymnasium (Davao City)
Digos City Stadium (Digos City)
South Cotabato Gym and Cultural Center (Alunan Avenue, Koronadal City)
Father Saturnino Urios University Gym (San Francisco Street corner J.C. Aquino Avenue, Butuan City)
Mindanao Civic Center (Tubod, Lanao del Norte)

Click on these related links:
Gameface MVBA Forum (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?board=30.0)
:) MVBA Friendster Account (http://www.friendster.com/mvba)

5FootCarrot
05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
A MUSICAL INTERLUDE to the tune of "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys

CHORUS
Aurora, Araneta, ooh I wanna go na
To V. Mapa, Pureza and then on to Legarda
To Recto from Doroteo (Jose :P), man, have I got to go
(Araneta)

Off at four thirty
Go to FEU Gym, kind of near Recto
Thats where you wanna go to get away from it all

Directions in high demand
Stored-value ticket held firmly in your hand
At these hardcore games
You won't be hearing the noise of a pep squad band
Unless FEATI kayo

CHORUS

REFRAIN
Ooh Hope the venue is near a McDo
Commute there fast
Unless the traffic is slow
To get to where you wanna go
Lakad na lang tayo?

(I can get to Cubao, but then from there it's how?)

Get down at Legarda
Konting lakad lang, San Beda ka na
Pwede mo pang bisitahin si Gloria

Afternoon's a delight
Trains are packed on those rush-hour nights
There's a game against STI
(Why are these handlebars set so damn high?)
Doon sa tabi lang po

CHORUS
REFRAIN

(Must text my mom, this game is dragging long)

Everybody knows
There are pedicabs all over Recto
But they're really slow
And they charge you a wad
That's down in Recto

CHORUS
REFRAIN
CHORUS

Ooh Sa Yellow Cab, lumiko na kayo

peterstrauss
07-03-2007, 04:10 PM
I know this question does not belong here but I cannot find the appropriate thread as well. I am sorry.

1. can anybody give a detailed instruction on how to go to cuneta astrodome coming from quezon city. the driver of my friend's aunt is not very familiar with the place & he is 60 years old na.

2. on july 15, we have 2 games: @ 2pm lady eagles vs Nu ladies venue BEG
@ 4pm blue eagles vs Ue warriors venue NAS

how does one commute coming from BEG to NAS via the LRT line 2?

thank you in advance for the instructions for #s 1 & 2

atenista_comm
07-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I know this question does not belong here but I cannot find the appropriate thread as well. I am sorry.

1. can anybody give a detailed instruction on how to go to cuneta astrodome coming from quezon city. the driver of my friend's aunt is not very familiar with the place & he is 60 years old na.

The easiest way is to take EDSA until you reach Roxas Boulevard. Then turn right on Roxas Boulevard, just before reaching the Baclaran flyover. After the defunct Hyatt Hotel, the Japanese Embassy, the Antel Suites, some American staff housing... it's Cuneta Astrodome already.

2. on july 15, we have 2 games: @ 2pm lady eagles vs Nu ladies venue BEG
@ 4pm blue eagles vs Ue warriors venue NAS

how does one commute coming from BEG to NAS via the LRT line 2?

thank you in advance for the instructions for #s 1 & 2

Take the LRT 2 from Katipunan to Recto. Then go use the walkway to the Doroteo Jose Station of LRT 1. Once in LRT 1, go down in the Vito Cruz Station, just right infront of the famous LRT school. Then take a right from Taft to Vito Cruz, then turn right after the Rizal Baseball Stadium. Go straight, NAS should be on your right.

I hope I've helped, fellow Atenean.

JonarSabilano
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Just to add: Cuneta Astrodome does not, in any way, look like a dome. It's one under-ventilated box.

macgyver
08-23-2007, 06:13 AM
I was reading the Ateneo in the NCAA thread where the Ateneo-San Beda games used to held at the Araneta Coliseum.

It said somewhere there that the seating capacity is 30 000 (bouts of Flash Elorde, Ali) I remember the write-ups about the Crispa Toyota games that 25 000 fans jammed the Coliseum.* *Nowadays, I read that the place can hold 15 000 people.

Did the Araneta Colliseum shrink?* I don't remember any major changes except the scoreboard inside and of course the eateies surrounding it.*

Edited to remove portions pertaining to the Blue Eaglets thread

Bennie Bangag
08-23-2007, 09:07 AM
yes it's true, araneta coliseum used to hold much more when it wasn't yet airconditioned on the upper levels. however, i don't think it can hold as many as 30,000 like it was reported in those days. more like 22,000.

5FootCarrot
09-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Is La Consolacion-Manila the school near San Beda in Mendiola? Team Glory Be's next game is scheduled to be held in their gym. ???

JonarSabilano
09-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Is La Consolacion-Manila the school near San Beda in Mendiola? Team Glory Be's next game is scheduled to be held in their gym. ???

Yep, the very same. I heard they've got a spanking-new gym too.

james_ty
09-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Do you have any impressions on The Arena in San Juan?

I like the venue because it's fully airconditioned and the facilities are good.

I live near the place because I go home to Pasig and all it takes for me to get there is to ride a G Liner bus.

Hope the PBA and PBL play there more often than Cuneta Astrodome kasi malayo ang Cuneta and it's a haven for pickpockets.

Post your reactions here.

batangueño
09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I read once in one of the online forums that UP, next year's host, is considering the Blue Eagle Gym as the alternate venue to the Araneta Coliseum, although things are not yet final as the Philsports Arena and The Arena in San Juan are being considered as well. Any word on this?

james_ty
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I read once in one of the online forums that UP, next year's host, is considering the Blue Eagle Gym as the alternate venue to the Araneta Coliseum, although things are not yet final as the Philsports Arena and The Arena in San Juan are being considered as well. Any word on this?

Mas gusto ko, The Arena. Malapit sa bahay ko, eh. I live in Pasig and I get to that venue via a G. Liner bus.

Very accessible.

batangueño
09-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Again, another robbery incident happened at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium this afternoon.

After Game One of the Ateneo-Zobel Finals in the juniors, the DLSZ contigent found their dugout ransacked and ALL of their possessions stolen. This is the second time a Lasallian contigent fell prey to robbers at the NAS. The first incident was during the off-season tourneys when the Green Archer dugout fell prey to bad elements.

To the Philippine Sports Commission: YUNG SECURITY NG FACILITIES NIYO, PAKIHIGPITAN NAMAN, PWEDE? >:(

john_paul_manahan
09-23-2007, 02:44 AM
kaya pala yung gamit ng ladies team nasa courtside na.....

interesting...

nastrans
10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Do you have any impressions on The Arena in San Juan?

I like the venue because it's fully airconditioned and the facilities are good.

I live near the place because I go home to Pasig and all it takes for me to get there is to ride a G Liner bus.

Hope the PBA and PBL play there more often than Cuneta Astrodome kasi malayo ang Cuneta and it's a haven for pickpockets.

Post your reactions here.

Yup, The Arena is a great place to play with at advantage din for any photographers too. Madali lang ang biyahe kung galing kang Lawton o sa Quiapo area although nahirapan ako nung nanggaling ako ng Cavite to cover a UCAA game.

Ang concern lang sa venue na to mukhang nakikita na yung mga rustiness ng venue, hopefully Mayor JV could provide some decent funds for an annual refurbishment of the gym. Security is another concern dahil pag naging hit na din to sa mga events maglalabasan din mga magnanakaw.

batangueño
10-01-2007, 09:12 PM
The Arena, rusting? Hindi ba't halos bagong gawa lang ang venue na yan? Perhaps it is time for the San Juan City Government to do a check on the venue since The Arena in San Juan is slowly gaining prominence as a venue for various sporting events (e.g. Shakey's V-League, NCAA, etc.).

Also, tama ba na ang full seating capacity ng The Arena ay 5,000 lang?

Kumusta nga pala ang Philsports Arena ngayon? May regular bang gumagamit ng venue na yun? Yung recent big event na doon ginawa ay yung Philippine tour ni Kobe Bryant.

nastrans
10-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Hindi naman sa rusting, parang may mga natatanggal na sa pintura lalo na sa likod ng playing court. I think the city needs to have an annual fund for refurbishments, dont make a mistake like what Pasay City did with the Astrodome na napabayaan ng konti.

batangueño
10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Hindi naman sa rusting, parang may mga natatanggal na sa pintura lalo na sa likod ng playing court. I think the city needs to have an annual fund for refurbishments, dont make a mistake like what Pasay City did with the Astrodome na napabayaan ng konti.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Akala ko talaga nagsisimula nang kalawangin yung The Arena eh pero yung mga pagkatanggal ng pintura is already a sign that wear and tear is already catching up with the venue. It really needs to get an annual check for renovations by the San Juan City Government. Maganda pa naman yung venue at sayang kung mapapabayaan na katulad ng Cuneta Astrodome.

Maliit lang ba talaga ang seating capacity ng The Arena in San Juan? I read somewhere that The Arena only has a full seating capacity of 5,000, which makes it smaller than the Ninoy Aquino Stadium (6,000) and even the Blue Eagle Gym (7,500). The good thing about The Arena though is that it is newer and has good air-conditioning. ;D

Hopefully, UP will get The Arena in San Juan as next year's alternate venue to the Araneta Coliseum for men's basketball games. I read from another forum that UP is allegedly considering The Arena, Philsports and BEG as possible alternate venue next year, although BEG has quite an edge. ???

joelex
10-07-2007, 03:38 AM
where exactly is the said bahay toro court(tama ba?) and who are the famous players who play there? is ther some sort of tournament held there?

may mga liga liga pa ba sa bacood ?

peterstrauss
11-19-2007, 02:46 PM
how does 1 go to the arena in san juan by commuting AND by car if one is coming from quezon city?

nagpatanon yung matandang aunt ng friend ko. di alam ng driver niya at di din daw alam ng driver ng kapatid niya who has a business in greenhills.

thanks in advance ....

JonarSabilano
11-19-2007, 02:57 PM
how does 1 go to the arena in san juan by commuting AND by car if one is coming from quezon city?

nagpatanon yung matandang aunt ng friend ko.* di alam ng driver niya at di din daw alam ng driver ng kapatid niya who has a business in greenhills.

thanks in advance ....

Commute: Sakay ka sa G-Liner na bus sa Ortigas Avenue. Dadaan 'yun sa Arena. Malapit sa munisipyo.

Kotse: Kanan sa Ortigas Avenue, sumunod sa mga G-Liner. :D

Kid Cubao
11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
where exactly is the said bahay toro court(tama ba?) and who are the famous players who play there? is ther some sort of tournament held there?

bahay toro in the project 8-tandang sora area of QC. dinadayo yan dati ng mga ex-pros at college players. malamang tuloy pa rin ang laro doon, kasi ang laki ng pustahan. a punter can earn 10 times his capital if he places his bets correctly. yun lang, minsan inaabot ng magdamagan ang laro kasi walang gustong magpatalo.

wala na akong balita sa bacood. sa pasay at kalookan na ang aksyon ngayon.

batangueño
11-19-2007, 03:55 PM
May plans na ba ang UP as far as venues for next year's men's, women's and juniors' basketball games are concerned?

bchoter
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM

bahay toro in the project 8-tandang sora area of QC. dinadayo yan dati ng mga ex-pros at college players. malamang tuloy pa rin ang laro doon, kasi ang laki ng pustahan. a punter can earn 10 times his capital if he places his bets correctly. yun lang, minsan inaabot ng magdamagan ang laro kasi walang gustong magpatalo.*

wala na akong balita sa bacood. sa pasay at kalookan na ang aksyon ngayon.

Zaldy Realubit use to live in the Pugad Lawin area very near Bahay Toro.

batangueño
01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
As posted by jancarlo in PEX:

Hindi naman talaga sa BEG gagawin ang UAAP Basketball next season. Sa Philsports Arena.

Any word on this? Wala na bang chance na sa mas accessible na The Arena in San Juan (at least, may mga buses at jeeps na dumadaan doon unlike sa Ultra) gawin ang basketball games sa Season 71? ???

Eagle_Eyes
02-08-2008, 09:01 AM
guys, i need a venue to conduct basketball tryouts and practices for our basketball team here in the office.

criteria:

open 24 hours
covered
relatively cheap rates
easily accessible
preferably wood flooring

we had our practices last year at the marikina sports complex. nice venue actually (specially at 4:30 in the morning since you can do your stretching and jogging out on the track oval) and it's pretty cheap (75/hour from 6am-6pm and 125/hour from 6pm-6am). minsan makakasabay mo pa tumakbo ang sta. lucia team :) pero medyo malayo from the mandaluyong area where the office is, lalo na if you are commuting.

any suggestions?

Kid Cubao
02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
eagle eyes, sa mandaluyong area, i would suggest reyes gym, RFM gym (where the metroball league is held), and the rizal technological university gym. di ko lang sure kung 24/7 ang mga ito, pero tabla ang sahig, may bubong, at mukhang yakang-yaka nyo ang mga rates.

bluegirl
02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
dumlao gym pwde rin. although di ko alam ang current state ng courts nila kasi matagal tagal na rin since last akong pumunta dun.

batangueño
02-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Sa mga taga-San Juan dito: Iba pa ba ang San Juan Gym sa The Arena in San Juan? Hindi ba't ang The Arena in San Juan ang municipal gym ng San Juan? ???

Sa mga taga-Manila: Nasaan ang San Andres Gym?

AnthonyServinio
02-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Sa mga taga-San Juan dito: Iba pa ba ang San Juan Gym sa The Arena in San Juan? Hindi ba't ang The Arena in San Juan ang municipal gym ng San Juan? ???

THEY ARE two different and distinct venues.

The San Juan Gym is located inside the campus of the public school right beside the City Hall along N. Domingo Street. That was the home venue of the Andok's-San Juan Knights of the old Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA).

The Arena is the newer and bigger structure located near the Pinaglabanan Shrine and the City Fire and Police Station. That's where the PBA, PBL, V-League, NCAA and other big events are held these days.

Sa mga taga-Manila: Nasaan ang San Andres Gym?

The San Andres Gym is located along San Andres Street in Malate, Manila. It is between M. Adriatico and Leveriza Streets. That gym used to be the home venue of the MBA's Manila Metrostars when it was known as the Mail and More Arena.

batangueño
02-21-2008, 01:01 AM
As always, thanks for the reply, the ever dependable Sir AnthonyServinio! :)

I know where The Arena in San Juan is but I was thinking that San Juan Gym was the another alternate name of The Arena. Is the San Juan Gym still being used right now or has The Arena in San Juan already supplanted the San Juan Gym as the city's main sports venue?

As for the San Andres Gym, isn't it still being used by the PBL? Any idea as to how much is the seating capacity of the San Andres Gym?

Thanks again, Sir AnthonyServinio! :)

batangueño
02-21-2008, 01:21 AM
One more thing. Is the Makati Coliseum now a full-time cockpit arena or is it still being used for sports like basketball and volleyball? ???

AnthonyServinio
02-21-2008, 02:34 AM
I know where The Arena in San Juan is but I was thinking that San Juan Gym was the another alternate name of The Arena. Is the San Juan Gym still being used right now or has The Arena in San Juan already supplanted the San Juan Gym as the city's main sports venue?
* * *THE old San Juan Gym is rarely used these days for major basketball events.* Right now, it is basically used for practices of some teams and for minor recreational-level tournaments.

* * *Take note that this was a project under the administration of then mayor Jinggoy Estrada.* The incumbent mayor is his half-brother JV Ejercito and since they love each other very much, the venue has not been that well maintained as of late. Of course, JV prefers to push his project The Arena which is also known as the Entertainment and Recreational Arena of the People (ERAP).

As for the San Andres Gym, isn't it still being used by the PBL? Any idea as to how much is the sitting capacity of the San Andres Gym?

* * *It has been a while since the PBL has used the San Andres Gym.* Right now, the gym's regular clients include the NCRAA and UCAA plus the regular tournaments and other projects of the Manila City Government.

* * *If they don't put chairs for fans on the floor level, the San Andres Gym seating capacity is around 3,000 situated on the upper level.* Adding chairs on the floor will accomodate another 100 to 200 bodies.

batangueño
02-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks again for that, Sir AnthonyServinio. :)

It seems like the San Juan Gym andThe Arena in San Juan are perfect examples of what we can perhaps call "brotherly love". :D

Too bad the San Juan Gym is not as well maintained as The Arena in San Juan. Perhaps Mayor JV will, still, channel some city funds in maintaining the San Juan Gym despite The Arena in San Juan having supplanted it as San Juan's main entertainment and sports venue.

AnthonyServinio
02-21-2008, 02:51 AM
One more thing. Is the Makati Coliseum now a full-time cockpit arena or is it still being used for sports like basketball and volleyball? ???

* * *SAD to say yes.* It all began when the Makati City Government decided to sell the property to a private entity who in turn decided to convert it into a cockpit.

* * *However, the venue may hopefully still be used for other events just like when it hosted billiards and snooker during the 2005 Philippine SEA Games.* Recently though, there has been no reports of a basketball game or practice or even a boxing card being staged there.

* * Just for additional input, there was a time when the Cuneta Astrodome was used a lot as a cockpit after the PBA returned to the Araneta Coliseum in th early 1990's. *Oner major problem that resulted was the foul odor and sanitary problem brought about by the fact that many chickens were stored at the Astrodome's back lot!

batangueño
02-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Sir AnthonyServinio, it is really sad to see the Makati Coliseum (Sir, is the Makati Coliseum just as big as Ninoy Aquino Stadium as far as seating capacity is concerned?) ending up as a cockpit arena nowadays. The PBL once had the Makati Coliseum as its home. The UAAP (during the 2002-2003 season, with host NU) and, if I am not mistaken, the PBA also held games there. Despite its lack of accessibility and parking spaces, I think the Makati Coliseum was able to serve its purpose as a basketball venue quite well.

As for the Cuneta Astrodome being used as a cockpit arena before, I was quite surprised to know that. All along, I was thinking that the Astrodome was being used solely as a venue for basketball games, concerts and prayer rallies. :D

Thanks again for replying, Sir. :)

batangueño
05-01-2008, 04:43 AM
According to hacksaw of PEX, the tentative venues of games for UAAP Season 71 are the Araneta Coliseum, The Arena in San Juan and, upon the request of Manila-based UAAP members, the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

Ninoy... Again?! Goodness! ::)

ianne
05-16-2008, 04:33 PM
dapat ibalik sa normal venue ang pbl finals!!

jonas-jason
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
i want to be part of the Championship finals of The PBL.
Pls do help me. i really really want to get there BADLY. :'(

i want to support team harbour. plsss do help me.

ESCALERA JR.
06-15-2008, 04:49 PM
A NICE Venue for College Basketball...

The idle and rotting FOLK ARTS THEATER (FAT).

To be renamed FolkArts Arena (FAA)

ESCALERA JR.
06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Would it be viable to transform the seldom used FOLK ARTS THEATER into a Basketball Venue?

Rather than it being an idle lot and instead turn it into an income generating Basketball Venue during the months of June-Oct for both NCAA and UAAP leagues, marami pang business establishments ang makikinabang sa may tabing Roxas Blvd.

Transportation would not be a problem either. The LRT staion is just a few meters away. Jeeps and buses abound in the area going to and fro all points of the Metro. Malapit sa U.Belt, which has half of the participating schools from the UA and NC

Nasa may tabing ilog pa na masarap ang simoy ng polluted Manila Bay.

Meron pang Karnabal sa kalapit(StarCity and Boom na boom), may hotels na makakainan, pasyalan sa Baywalk before and after the games... at higit sa lahat malawak ang takbuhan kung sakling magkarambulan ;D.

Sayang kasi ang venue na ito...pwedeng pwedeng buhayin ng mga mahilig sa sports lalo na sa College Basketbol ;).

batangueño
06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Kabayang ESCALERA JR., it seems like the Cultural Center of the Philippines, the owner of the Folk Arts Theater (Tanghalang Francisco Balagtas), has a different plan for the facility as part of the planned upgrading of the entire CCP Complex. The Folk Arts Theater will definitely stay in its current use as a cultural and entertainment venue (if I am not mistaken, the Folk Arts Theater serve as temporary home to the different cultural and artistic groups based in CCP whenever the CCP Main Theater [Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo] is not available) rather than a sports venue. ;)

By the way, if there is one thing I really wanted us to have in this country, that will be a modern, Olympics-standard sports complex situated at the Manila Bay Reclamation Area. This new complex, which I hope will include a 60,000-seat national stadium and two 15,000-seat indoor arenas, should replace the very ancient and neglected Rizal Memorial Sports Complex.

ESCALERA JR.
06-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Same here Kabayan.

That part of Manila would be a nice alternative venue for sports and recreation.

Building a modern Sports facility like an indoor 20k seater Stadium would be a nice start then gradually building a bigger one like the one you have mentioned.

I also agree that RMC has seen better days...time to replace it and move on with the times.

If you will do a survey, im sure a high percentage ay isusuka na yan Rizal Memorial...NAS would be a poor second choice for lack of any other option. Cuneta Astrodome...forget it!

Another better venue would be in The FORT, Taguig para naman sa mga 'Upper' market sports enthusiasts. The venue should be located near Bus Terminals in C5 or Buendia LRT station so as to be accesible sa mga commuters.

For now only the Big Dome and ULTRA fits the bill.

Calling all Sports Agencies/Officials. ;)

batangueño
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Maganda ding site for that new sports complex ang Fort Bonifacio area, Kabayang ESCALERA JR. Sana naman ay i-consider man lang yun ng PSC o kung alin mang government agency na responsible sa sports planning. Mukha kasing iba ang priority ng sports officials natin ngayon at wala man lang silang balak na umisip ng kapalit ng Rizal Memorial at Philsports complexes.

As for basketball venues in Metro Manila, I think these are the three top venues:

1. Araneta Coliseum
2. The Arena in San Juan
3. Philsports Arena (ULTRA)

oca
06-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Para sa akin, kung location lang para sa isang bagong sporting venue, the location of the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex is most practical. Pwede ring sabihing most appropriate.

1. It has direct access from and to LRT-Vito Cruz Station.

With due respect to those who suggested the reclaimed area at Manila Bay, shuttle services will not be adequate to service big crowds during big events. Parking? Sa ngayon, malawak pa ang parking sa reclamation area, but over the long term mapupuno na rin yan ng mga vertical structures and those parking spaces will diminish. Besides, parking is for those who can afford to own vehicles. Pero sa nakakarami? Fort Bonifacio? Same problem on public transport as the reclamation area.

Whereas, with the LRT, the RMSC location is literally beside a mass transport and just walking distance from Vito Cruz Station.

Yes, the Big Dome is right beside 2 LRT lines. But it just too big for most type of games. Organizers are paying for its capacity that can never be optimized 8 out of 10 times. Not cost efficient.

With the 3 existing LRT lines, it is easy to imagine how accessible the RMSC location is. Then, consider the expansion/ extension plans on these same lines - to Cavite and Rizal, it's eventual link to the North Rail, it is easy to imagine the reach and just how convenient it is for the ordinary and regular fan from far distances to go to this venue.

2. The property is huge enough to construct numerous structures/facilities for different events.

It is easily suitable to be a sports center as there is enough land to have specific venues for basketball/ volleyball, swimming, football and track events, separate smaller multi-purpose venues for other sports like fencing, badminton, tae kwon do and other events on the collegiate sporting calendar.

One may ask why can't they just tear down these circa 1936 facilities and construct new ones. The root cause of the problem is on the ownership vis a vis possession.

The title to the property is under the name of the City of Manila. But the whole facility has been designated to be administered and maintained, correct me if I am wrong, by the Philippine Sports Commission. Actually, sa panahon pa ng mga forerunners ng PSC naitalaga ang pamamahala ng RMSC. Kung bakit walang taga-Manila City Hall ang tumutol nung araw, walang nakakaalam.

At ewan kung bakit hanggang ngayon ay ayaw ipilit ng City of Manila na bawiin ang nasabing lupa.

Obviously, the PSC CANNOT enter into any contract to build something state-of-the-art there. Not even a BOT contract can be made. Dahil nga hindi sila ang may-ari ng lupa. Hindi rin ang National Gov't. At lalong walng pera ang National Gov't para magpatayo ng kahit anong matinong facility dito, kung sakali man sa kanila nakapangalan ang lupa.

Totoong sayang ang facilities na hindi naman mapakinabangan ng husto dahil hindi na angkop sa panahon. Sayang ang location at hindi mapatayuan ng makabagong facilidad.

Sa palagay ko, if the PSC/ National Gov't will voluntarily turnover the possession of the property to the City of Manila, maaaring magkaruon ng isang comprehensive plan para i-develop ang property into a state-of-the-art sporting/recreational facility. Dahil nga malinaw yung basic requirement ng isang property development - ownership.

Of course, walang tututol kung magpatayo si Henry Sy ng isang multi-purpose venue sa tabi mg Mall of Asia, or if another local gov't unit build something similar to the ARENA with an additional 3 to 4 thousand seats. But I doubt if there is another location with the accessability possessed by the RMSC location and the adequacy of space to have numerous structures for different events.

At minsan may nabasa ako sa pahayagan na iyang Harrison Plaza complex, the land where it sits is also owned by the City of Manila; and is just on-lease to, if I remember it right, the Martel family. At the most that would be a 50-year lease, hula ko lang. So, malapit na rin bumalik sa Manila ang possession ng lupa.

Just imagine how much land there is to accomodate a comprehensive plan for a real sports complex...

But if we are to just limit it to basketball, ayusin na lang ang Blue Eagle Gym. Merong access from mass transport, pwedeng lakarin from LRT/Katipunan Stn. It has the right capacity for most kind of games. The simple installation of approprate seats and adequate air-conditioning will make it a very good venue.

batangueño
06-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I agree with Ka oca's opinion regarding the relative accessibility of the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex as a sporting venue. Situated right in the heart of the City of Manila close to the Vito Cruz LRT Station and the route of public utility vehicles (Taft Avenue, A. Mabini/F.B. Harrison), the RMSC is very accessible to every sports fan who wishes to watch games being held there. I do not know about the parking spaces though since I usually commute to and from the RMSC if ever some games are being held there.

However, supposing the PSC decides to just stick with the RMSC instead of looking for a new site to build a whole new sports complex that is, again, Olympics-standard. Do you think an upgraded RMSC (supposing we can still upgrade the whole facility, e.g. upgrading the 70+ year old, 30,000-seat Rizal Memorial Track and Football Stadium into a modern 50,000-seat stadium that is capable of hosting events like the SEA Games and the Asian Games) can accommodate the ever changing needs of sports events? Hindi lang naman kasi basketball ang laro na gagawin sa RMSC or any sports complex for that matter. Noong 2005 SEA Games dito sa atin, dahil alam natin na hindi capable ang RMSC na mag-handle ng malalaking sporting events, we decided to hold the opening and closing ceremonies in Luneta tapos na-disperse pa sa iba't ibang lugar ang mga events, complicating things and getting the ire from other countries.

Napasok lang yung idea na maghanap na ng ibang lugar para pagtayuan ng bago at Olympics-standard na national sports complex na pwedeng pumalit sa RMSC at sa Philsports (but that does not mean that we demolishing RMSC and Philsports but we will upgrade them to serve as secondary venues to the new sports complex) katulad ng Manila Bay Reclamation Area at Fort Bonifacio dahil marami tayong options kapag bakanteng lupa ang pag-uusap unlike in existing and VERY HISTORICAL (of historical importance na ang RMSC kaya hindi pwedeng basta gibain to make way for a new sports complex) sports venues na nakatali ang mga kamay natin as far as options are concerned. Kasama din naman sa plano natin sa bagong sports complex yung kung papaano dadalhin doon ang mga manonood at kung paano masisiguro na palaging nagagamit ang facilities, sporting or non-sporting event man ang gagawin.

We really need to have a modern, Olympics-standard national sports complex if we are really serious about sports development in this country and if we are hell-bent in our intention to host big international sports events like the SEA Games, the Asian Games or even the Summer Olympic Games.

ESCALERA JR.
06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Mga Kabayan, sang ayon din ako sa RMSC as being the most accesible sports venue available for the sports loving pinoys. At kung basketbol din lang ang pagu-usapan, ang RMC na sana ang the best option dahil nga sa napakadaling puntahan.

Ang problema lang talaga ay napakahirap na yatang ma-improve pa ang facilitie ng RMSC. The problem of leaking roofs on a sudden heavy downpour in the middle of an exciting game is a constant reminder of neglect not to mention the reeking toilets, the upkeep and maintenance of locker rooms the airconditioning for the comfort of the paying public should be a prime consideration.

The standards have fallen way below of what a National sports complex should be.

Add to the fact na may problema pa sa ownership, who owns the land, who foots the bill, where to get the funds ,sharing of revenues and gate receipts etc...

Kung kaya't siguro mas mainam pa nga siguro na magtayo na lang ng panibagong Sports facilities somewhere near the vicinity like what has been mentioned by Kabayang batangueno.

It need not be grand like the Staples Center or Boston Garden but just a new spanky indoor stadium
that we all would love and enjoy going to during our favourite pastime...watching hoops.

This might be wishful thinking pero sana in the very near future.

batangueño
06-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Again, that new, Olympic-standard national sports complex that should replace the Rizal Memorial and Philsports complexes will not only include indoor arenas that can be used by events like basketball and volleyball and a new 12,000-seat baseball stadium. I am actually more concerned about the centerpiece building of the facility, a 50,000- to 60,000-seat (adjustable to 80,000 to 100,000 depending on the event) national stadium that will replace the Rizal Memorial Track and Football Stadium.

Sa indoor arenas naman, mainam siguro na between 10,000 and 12,000 ang maximum seating capacity nung dalawang arenas sa proposed new national sports complex natin. Hindi lang naman college basketball leagues like the UAAP and the NCAA and amateur basketball associations like the PBL ang makikinabang doon sa mga new indoor arenas kundi pati na din yung mga international events na posibleng gumamit ng bagong venues. ;)

Talagang kailangan na natin ng bagong national sports complex na located within Metro Manila. Mahihirapan tayo na bigyan ng massive overhaul ang Rizal Memorial at Philsports complexes kung ang aim natin ang gawin ang mga venues na yun na suited para sa big sporting events like the SEA Games and the Asian Games.

oca
06-16-2008, 08:27 AM
The RMSC cannot be renovated. Talagang dapat gibain na yan at magtayo ng bago.

As to the idea of an "all in" complex where you can have venues for different events, having one sounds good. But if we look at the actual practice of host countries for the Olympics and Asiad, there is no such thing as an "all in" venue. No all in sports complex has been constructed to simultaneously hold various events.

Pinasimulan sa LA Olympics nuong 1984 ang pag hold ng mga events sa iba't-ibang venues na magkakalayo. Magkakalayo, ibig sabihin, di pwede magalakad from one venue to another. The LA Olympics Organizing Cmmt, didn't construct any new venues, if I recall it right. They just renovated and upgraded facilities located in LA. Mostly university facilities.

With a good organization it worked. Since then, the idea of having "spread out facilities within a given boundary" has been practiced. (Beijing may have built something akin to a complex, pero communista pa rin ang mga iyan at madaling angkinin ng gobyerno ang pribadong lupa. At sa mala-aliping pasahod dun, mas mababa ang cost of labor dun.)

Kaya kung para sa ating pangangailangan rin lang, isang makabagong track oval, football venue at swimming facility, multi-purpose arena for events like basketball and volleyball ang nakikita kong kailangan. Apat lang yan. Pwedeng maging tatlo kung pag-iisahin ang track at football facilities sa isang venue.

Kasya lahat yan sa boundaries ng RMSC.

There are numerous school and local gov't facilities within Manila, San Juan, QC and other cities in the NCR which can be used for other non-spectator events in case we do host multi-sports events like SEAGames, Asiad and, kung pwedeng mangarap, Olympics.

oca
06-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Isang punto pa.

Maraming nagpanukala na magtayo ng makabagong "Olympic size facility" sa Clark. Meron din nagsabi sa Cavite or di kaya Subic.

Paumanhin po, pero may ka-bobohan ang panukalang iyan. Hindi pinag-isipan.

Bakit ko nasabi yan?

Aber, ano ang gagawin mo sa facility na iyan pagkatapos ng isang malaking multi-sport event tulad ng SEAGames or Asiad?

Magiging white elephant lang ang mga iyan.

Kaya dapat itayo ang makabagong multi-event facility within NCR. Dahil dito sa NCR pwedeng maging self-sustaining ang mga nasabing venues. Narito ang UAAP at NCAA who both can use the venues, not to mention the other school leagues who all have ambitions of expanding their memberships and gaini public prominence or least recognition.

Maglagay ka ng isang 10,000 seat multi-purpose venue sa Clark, Cavite or Subic, anong liga ang gagamit niyon pagkatapos ng SEAGames or Asiad?

The UAAP and NCAA both have full 10-month sports calendars. Diyan pa lang may kukunan na nang pera para ma-maintain ang mga venues.

At kung sa NCR ka magtatayo ng ganyang facility, anong lugar ang may malawak na espasyo at accessability para mapagtayuan?

RMSC!

Ngayon, kung may maglalagay ng LRT line sa Shaw, pwede i-upgrade ang PhilSports. Kung makakaisatuparan ang extension ng LRT line papuntang Rizal, baka pwede rin dun. Pero hindi naman sa Rizal na tatawid ka pa ng bundok. Dito lang sa gawi ng Marikina karatig lugar.

Pero kung kailangan mo nang location na malinaw na magiging self-sustaining ang venue agad-agad in the short term pa lang, hindi magiging white elephant, RMSC ka na.

Gibain mo bukas ang kasalukyang RMSC, tapusin ang pagpapatayo sa makalawa, tiyak sa ikatlong araw may revenue na yan at tuloy-tuloy yan.

ilovedhay
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Is it true that SM Mall of Asia Developer will put an indoor arena which has an capacity crowd of 17,000. They said it will be known as PBA Arena. Yung architect na gagawa yung nagdesign sa American Airlines Arena which is the home of Dallas Mavericks. Lupit nito if just in case na matutuloy ang balak ng SM Group of Companies.

AnthonyServinio
06-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Is it true that SM Mall of Asia Developer will put an indoor arena which has an capacity crowd of 17,000. They said it will be known as PBA Arena. Yung architect na gagawa yung nagdesign sa American Airlines Arena which is the home of Dallas Mavericks. Lupit nito if just in case na matutuloy ang balak ng SM Group of Companies.

YES. The site is the empty lot bordered by the existing SMX Convention Center parking lot, the offices of TeleTech, the Department Store and the Catholic Church. Based on the lot size alone, it could accomodate a venue as big as the Araneta Coliseum. Parking will not be much of a problem with so many slots available all over the Mall of Asia complex.

GHRanger
06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
^ @ Oca, Re: Clark/Cavite.

I agree. I was fortunate enough to go to the stadiums at Malaysia near the Science Park. The stadium is huge with adequate parking and an MRT line to boot. It even has dormitories (which were eventually sold to private people after the Asiad ata) Pero pag titingnan mo, napakalayo at di masyadong gamit.

What more yung Cavite at Clark? Walang MRT and i'd think twice of travelling through NLEX. The travel is actually longer than the game!

The RMSC is a good place, but it really needs a lot of planning - the best way is to probably sell it to a private group who can demolish it and build it up from scratch -- kasama na management of facilities.

They're doing it with the National Stadium here in Singapore -- after a couple of decades of use - it's being demolished for modernization. And this stadium is still in good working condition!

batangueño
06-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Supposing we decide to demolish the RMSC and replace it with an entirely new complex on the same site. How fast can we build the new complex composed of a 50,000-seat national stadium (for track events and football), a 15,000-seat baseball stadium, two 12,000-seat multi-purpose indoor arenas (for basketball and volleyball), a swimming facility, tennis courts, athletes' quarters and the PSC and POC offices? Where are we going to send the athletes who would be displaced due to the demolition of the RMSC? Will the Philsports Complex (which, I think, should also be replaced with an entirely new complex) and other smaller sports complexes within Metro Manila such as the Marikina Sports Complex be enough to address the needs of the displaced athletes?

My idea on this one really is for an entirely new sports complex that will be built on a sizable piece of land situated within Metro Manila such as those located at the Manila Bay Reclamation Area and Fort Bonifacio, with the RMSC and Philsports complexes being renovated to serve as secondary venues. We all know that not all venues can be accommodated by the new sports complex, the size of which will depend on the size of land where it will be built.

oca
06-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Supposing we decide to demolish the RMSC and replace it with an entirely new complex on the same site. How fast can we build the new complex composed of a 50,000-seat national stadium (for track events and football), a 15,000-seat baseball stadium, two 12,000-seat multi-purpose indoor arenas (for basketball and volleyball), a swimming facility, tennis courts, athletes' quarters and the PSC and POC offices? Where are we going to send the athletes who would be displaced due to the demolition of the RMSC? Will the Philsports Complex (which, I think, should also be replaced with an entirely new complex) and other smaller sports complexes within Metro Manila such as the Marikina Sports Complex be enough to address the needs of the displaced athletes?

My idea on this one really is for an entirely new sports complex that will be built on a sizable piece of land situated within Metro Manila such as those located at the Manila Bay Reclamation Area and Fort Bonifacio, with the RMSC and Philsports complexes being renovated to serve as secondary venues. We all know that not all venues can be accommodated by the new sports complex, the size of which will depend on the size of land where it will be built.

Dalwang punto kaibigan.

1. Sa palagay ko, marapat na huwag isama sa isang bagong plano ang ano mang usapin tungkol sa training at housing ng mga athetes.

As it is, Metro Manila is not conducive to any long term development of athletes. So why should we even house them anywhere within the Metro?

If we are to consider such concerns, the concept of a training camp as first presented in the country by the Gintong Alay program is, imo, the most appropriate. Magtayo ng training camp sa lugar na mas conducive para sa training and development ng athletes.

Any new sporting venue within the NCR, e.g. RMSC, Reclamation Area or Fort, should be for the sole purpose of staging competitions and recreational activities.

Ang nakikita kong pakinabang ng mga national athletes mula sa ano mang venue na maaring itayo ng pamahalaan ay yaong "athlete's subsidy" na kukunin from revenues from lease and tickets sales on these venues.

Ano? Athlete's Subsidy?

Well, remember the old flood tax collected from every movie ticket purchased before?

Bakit hindi patawan nang dadag na piso ang bawat ticket na mabebenta from any event held in these gov't funded venues. This piso goes directly to an athlete's fund which will augment their needs. Kung pwedeng gawing limang piso, bakit hindi. At kung may concessioners at leased premises, there must be a percentage of the lease rental that will go to that athlete's fund.

2. Imo, it is not practical to build a stadium with a seating capacity of 50,000. Masyadong malaki para sa atin na hindi naman kasikatan ang larong football. Isipin mo anong gagawin natin sa isang malaking "bowl" na iyan after a big event w/c we would not be hosting on a yearly basis.

Besides, the idea of a large sporting venue was intended to allow more people to witness live events held in said venue. But with the current available technology in tv coverage, the principle behind large seating capacities no longer holds true. Sa palagay ko, tama lang ang* 30,000 seater for a national stadium.

oca
06-16-2008, 06:59 PM
^ @ Oca, Re: Clark/Cavite.

I agree.* I was fortunate enough to go to the stadiums at Malaysia near the Science Park.* The stadium is huge with adequate parking and an MRT line to boot.* It even has dormitories (which were eventually sold to private people after the Asiad ata)* Pero pag titingnan mo, napakalayo at di masyadong gamit.*

What more yung Cavite at Clark?* Walang MRT and i'd think twice of travelling through NLEX.* The travel is actually longer than the game!

The RMSC is a good place, but it really needs a lot of planning - the best way is to probably sell it to a private group who can demolish it and build it up from scratch -- kasama na management of facilities.

They're doing it with the National Stadium here in Singapore -- after a couple of decades of use - it's being demolished for modernization.* And this stadium is still in good working condition!

I doubt if it will ever be sold to a private entity. Pwede pa siguro BOT and longer than 25 years. Hindi naman kasi ito tollway na maya't maya at araw-araw na may gagamit. Kaya marapat na mas mahaba sa nakasanayang 25 years for BOT projects.

But the plan must not be left to the sole discretion of the Operator. Dapat, kumuha ng isang credible/ reputable private consultancy planning group who will draw the basic layout and blue print. At yun ang magiging basehan ng bids. Then, lagyan ng clause na bawal ang deviation from the approved plan.

Pero, dapat ibalik muna sa City of Manila ang possession.

Kung talagang may administration na gustong magtayo ng makabagong facility sa location ng RMSC, gumawa na lang ng partnership between the Nat'l Gov't/PSC and City of Manila. Possession will remain with the nat'l gov't, then Manila will be paid in the form of lease.

Pumirma lang yang dalawang iyan sa isang "partnership agreement", tiyak may papasok ng syndication dyan to finance the project.

ESCALERA JR.
06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Again, that new, Olympic-standard national sports complex that should replace the Rizal Memorial and Philsports complexes will not only include indoor arenas that can be used by events like basketball and volleyball and a new 12,000-seat baseball stadium. I am actually more concerned about the centerpiece building of the facility, a 50,000- to 60,000-seat (adjustable to 80,000 to 100,000 depending on the event) national stadium that will replace the Rizal Memorial Track and Football Stadium.

Sa indoor arenas naman, mainam siguro na between 10,000 and 12,000 ang maximum seating capacity nung dalawang arenas sa proposed new national sports complex natin. Hindi lang naman college basketball leagues like the UAAP and the NCAA and amateur basketball associations like the PBL ang makikinabang doon sa mga new indoor arenas kundi pati na din yung mga international events na posibleng gumamit ng bagong venues. ;)

Talagang kailangan na natin ng bagong national sports complex na located within Metro Manila. Mahihirapan tayo na bigyan ng massive overhaul ang Rizal Memorial at Philsports complexes kung ang aim natin ang gawin ang mga venues na yun na suited para sa big sporting events like the SEA Games and the Asian Games.

Read somewhere (Wikipedia ???) that the Philippines has put up plans of bidding to host the 2018 ASIAN GAMES or even dared of "dreaming" to *bid/host the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Kung tayo man ay nangarap, hindi masama. *The best time to start putting it into fruition is now.

The idea to build a Sports Complex in the vast Reclamaton Area and the nearby Fort would be an excellent venue. Hotel rooms already abound in the area...Public transport, although still poor if compared to international standards, can be given the much needed makeover.

A time frame of over a decade is more than enough time.

Sana mabasa ito ng mga taga Phil. Olympic at mga Gov't agencies.

batangueño
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
To the Philippine Sports Commission: Baka naman maisip niyo na bumili man lang ng Vulca Seal para tapalan ang mga butas sa bubong ng Philsports Arena. There are leaks on the roof of the ULTRA and water is dripping on the playing court and on the audience passageways. ::)

LION
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Cuneta Astrodome sucks.

batangueño
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Please naman, Philippine Sports Commission. Pakitapalan naman ng Vulca Seal yung mga tulo sa bubong ng ULTRA. Pati sa mismong court, tumutulo. Ano ba yan, PSC! >:(

batangueño
07-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Cuneta Astrodome sucks.

Kabayan! Kumusta naman ang panonood niyo sa Cuneta? Ingat kayo sa mga sanggano sa Pasay. :o

Howard the Duck
07-17-2008, 07:24 PM
parang walang tao lagi sa cuneta...

LION
07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Cuneta Astrodome sucks.

Kabayan! Kumusta naman ang panonood niyo sa Cuneta? Ingat kayo sa mga sanggano sa Pasay. :o

Mas kumonti ang nanood sa NCAA dahil sa venue.

Cuneta Astrodome (?) was chosen because it is supposed to be more accessible to MIT, PCU, Letran and UPHD students but these people have not showed up as expected.

The seats are... well, para kang naka sakay sa bus na dikit dikit ang mga upuan at wala ng leg room. You have to stand up everytime may lalabas o papasok na mga katabi mo. Anak ng pating talaga.

Ibalik na lang sa Arena or NAS.

Howard the Duck
07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
any comments on ynares center? ok ba doon? malayo lang nga

joelex
07-19-2008, 12:37 AM
yep ok dun, similar to the arena in san juan ang style. although mas cramped ang hallways leading to the dugouts compared to the arena, which are some of the complaints of the pba teams.

maganda rin minsan, cool weather sa antipolo pero prone to car theft, as what happened to one alaska staff member whose car got burglarized earlier this conference.

LION
07-19-2008, 03:38 AM
Ynares is way way better than Cuneta Astrodome. Maluwag pa ang parking. Tama s joelex, parang Arena din mas luma nga lang.

batangueño
07-19-2008, 03:42 AM
Pero siguro naman ay wala sa UAAP at sa NCAA ang gusto na ilipat ang mga laro nila sa Ynares, hindi ba? :o

joelex
07-19-2008, 02:58 PM
actually its not too far away as antipolo may suggest, from ortigas, it is much quicker to go to ynares than it does going to cuneta anytime of the day. although it is far from most uaap / ncaa schools.

Howard the Duck
07-19-2008, 03:04 PM
dapat kasi home-away na lang

intramuros/las pinas schools = Cuneta
u-belt schools = NAS/RMC
mandaluyong = the arena
QC = BEG
big time games = araneta
SBC-Rizal: ynares center :D

batangueño
07-20-2008, 10:07 AM
But still, the Ynares Center is not suited to host college basketball games given the considerable distance between Antipolo and the location of the member schools of the UAAP and the NCAA (take note that majority of those who watch college basketball games are students who operate on somewhat limited budgets). The PBA games could be held at Ynares but then I still wish the PBA could just have the Araneta Coliseum and the ULTRA as venues.

Speaking of ULTRA, after noticing the leaking roof of the arena, this time around I am curious if the air-conditioning unit there is working well. The venue, although air-conditioned, is not that cold and sometimes has the tendency to become hot if ever a huge crowd is gathered there. :o

Howard the Duck
07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
noong pumunta ako sa ultra hindi malamig

hindi kasing lamig ng cuneta :P

pepman
08-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Curious lang...
Saan-saan pong yung mga gyms ng PBA tems kapag may practice?

Kumpleto ha,,

joelex
08-08-2008, 01:12 AM
saan na ba ngayon ang may pinaka malulupit na ligang barangay sa manila? may mga laro pa ba sa bacood oh kaya sa bahay toro?

Schortsanitis
08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I lost a wallet at the Cuneta Astrodome a couple of months ago, and then I personally saw somebody complaining there of someone losing his celphone at one of the recent games.

I initially thought the problem was only confined to the audience, but now I read that KG Canaleta and Arwind Santos both lost their wallets there recently.

Another account at the Red Lion's Den by "Lion" tells of how SBC's new import, "Superdan", lost his iPod in the same coliseum.

That coliseum is going to the dogs, and I will try to keep out of that coliseum if I can. When I do need to go there, I will leave my celphone, or any other gadget at home, before I set foot on that place.

Also, I have taken the habit of putting my wallet on my front pocket instead of my backpocket.

Its just tragic that some international tournaments, like the RP Youth Invitational Tournament starting tomorrow, will be held there. I hope that somebody will take the time to tell all the foreign visitors (both the players and the audience), to take extra care of their wallets and gadgets, or we they could all end up with a very embarassing situation if the end up losing their things.

Kid Cubao
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
pare, beware of this modus operandi (this is how they really clean out our belongings without realizing it):

1. when the audience heads out to the exits, may mga nakaabang sa labas na kala mo may hinihintay na kakilala sa loob.

2. pag nakita nilang nagba-bottleneck na sa makipot na labasan, saka sila papasok na kala mo may sasalubungin. malinis ang trabaho nila. they work in solos, pairs, and trios. always they are well-coordinated.

3. if you make it to your ride with your wallet, cellphone, watch, ipod, and belongings intact, consider yourself lucky. some people's aren't.

danny
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Pangalan pa lang, ma-anomalya na. :D

Daming magnanakaw diyan sa loob at sa labas kahit na nung araw pa. Ngayon pa kayang tag-hirap.

Kaya kailangang mag-ingat.

Joescoundrel
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Arena.

pachador
09-24-2008, 06:09 AM
can anyone describe the Tervalac basketball court in Sta. Mesa ? I think its also know as Teresa basketball court. is it in a good neighborhood? or does one need a local guy from the area to visit this basketballl court?*
is it a covered court with roof? cement or wooden floor? how many rings(hoops) are inside? anyone has a photo of this Sta. Mesa court?? is this court still around?* or has it been demolished?* what kind of games are played there- liga or pick-up games?* Apparently, Caloy Loyzaga and other basketball greats honed their game at this basketball court. it was similar to the famous Ruckers bball playground of new york.

The basketball community, the SBP and the Philippine historical commiision should declare it a historical site and put a plaque there.
maraming salamat !

Wang-Bu
10-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Congratulations sa magiting na announcer ng UAAP na si Pareng ROLLY MANLAPAZ, na siya na ngayong venue manager sa The Arena sa San Juan. Hindi ko akalain ganun pala siya kalakas kay Sir Dave Dualan ng Fil-Oil, na siya na ngayong primary corporate sponsor ng The Arena. Meron pa palang car plan si Pareng Rolly mula sa Fil-Oil, talaga nga naman kapag binwenas ang tao... ;D

batangueño
10-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Guys, I keep on reading in other forums that a certain Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City is the rumored venue of this year's Bantay Bata UAAP-NCAA All-Star Games.

Where exactly in Pasig is the Ynares Sports Arena located? Is the venue accessible to public transportation? Thanks.

AnthonyServinio
10-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Guys, I keep on reading in other forums that a certain Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City is the rumored venue of this year's Bantay Bata UAAP-NCAA All-Star Games.

Where exactly in Pasig is the Ynares Sports Arena located? Is the venue accessible to public transportation? Thanks.

* * *The Ynares Sports Arena is a newly-constructed venue right inside the Rizal Provincial Capitol along Shaw Boulevard in Pasig City.* It is located in the area that used to be tennis courts.

* * *The venue can easily reached by public transportation via the jeepneys that ply the Quiapo-Shaw-Pasig Palengke route.* Just get down at the Kapitolyo rotonda.

batangueño
10-29-2008, 12:59 AM
^ Thanks for the info, Sir AnthonyServinio. :)

I am just curious though. How big is the Ynares Sports Arena? Is it airconditioned just like the Cuneta Astrodome, Philsports Arena and The Arena in San Juan?

chinito_guy
10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Any Info on the Venue for the Sweet 16 of the PCC? Makati Coliseum parin kaya? di kac accessible ung Makati Col eh, any info if sa San Juan Arena gaganapin or other venues?

MonL
10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Para sa akin, kung location lang para sa isang bagong sporting venue, the location of the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex is most practical. Pwede ring sabihing most appropriate.

1. It has direct access from and to LRT-Vito Cruz Station.

With due respect to those who suggested the reclaimed area at Manila Bay, shuttle services will not be adequate to service big crowds during big events. Parking? Sa ngayon, malawak pa ang parking sa reclamation area, but over the long term mapupuno na rin yan ng mga vertical structures and those parking spaces will diminish. Besides, parking is for those who can afford to own vehicles. Pero sa nakakarami? Fort Bonifacio? Same problem on public transport as the reclamation area.

Whereas, with the LRT, the RMSC location is literally beside a mass transport and just walking distance from Vito Cruz Station.

Yes, the Big Dome is right beside 2 LRT lines. But it just too big for most type of games. Organizers are paying for its capacity that can never be optimized 8 out of 10 times. Not cost efficient.

With the 3 existing LRT lines, it is easy to imagine how accessible the RMSC location is. Then, consider the expansion/ extension plans on these same lines - to Cavite and Rizal, it's eventual link to the North Rail, it is easy to imagine the reach and just how convenient it is for the ordinary and regular fan from far distances to go to this venue.

2. The property is huge enough to construct numerous structures/facilities for different events.

It is easily suitable to be a sports center as there is enough land to have specific venues for basketball/ volleyball, swimming, football and track events, separate smaller multi-purpose venues for other sports like fencing, badminton, tae kwon do and other events on the collegiate sporting calendar.

One may ask why can't they just tear down these circa 1936 facilities and construct new ones. The root cause of the problem is on the ownership vis a vis possession.

The title to the property is under the name of the City of Manila. But the whole facility has been designated to be administered and maintained, correct me if I am wrong, by the Philippine Sports Commission. Actually, sa panahon pa ng mga forerunners ng PSC naitalaga ang pamamahala ng RMSC. Kung bakit walang taga-Manila City Hall ang tumutol nung araw, walang nakakaalam.

At ewan kung bakit hanggang ngayon ay ayaw ipilit ng City of Manila na bawiin ang nasabing lupa.

Obviously, the PSC CANNOT enter into any contract to build something state-of-the-art there. Not even a BOT contract can be made. Dahil nga hindi sila ang may-ari ng lupa. Hindi rin ang National Gov't. At lalong walng pera ang National Gov't para magpatayo ng kahit anong matinong facility dito, kung sakali man sa kanila nakapangalan ang lupa.

Totoong sayang ang facilities na hindi naman mapakinabangan ng husto dahil hindi na angkop sa panahon. Sayang ang location at hindi mapatayuan ng makabagong facilidad.

Sa palagay ko, if the PSC/ National Gov't will voluntarily turnover the possession of the property to the City of Manila, maaaring magkaruon ng isang comprehensive plan para i-develop ang property into a state-of-the-art sporting/recreational facility. Dahil nga malinaw yung basic requirement ng isang property development - ownership.

There is also the issue of the complex being classified as a historic landmark that should be preserved. Remember the brouhaha on the demolition by the Atienza leadership of the Jai-Alai Fronton in order to build an office building for the local government ? All that was left of the project is an eyesore of a hole with massive I-beams jutting out. Better if they had just left the Fronton alone.

See also: http://www.philippinenews.com/article.php?id=1880

bchoter
10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I was surprised when the PBA scheduled games at the JCSGO and I was even more suprised to find it looking spiffy clean and sans leak (it was raining hard during one of the games). I remember the last time I've been there, it was a PBL game, the roof leaked and the floor was a bit slippery.

JonarSabilano
11-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Can anyone give me directions to the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig? Thanks.

razor
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Can anyone give me directions to the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig? Thanks.

From EDSA southbound, turn right at Shaw Boulevard and go all the way to the rotunda. Pasig Capitolyo will be on your left and the entrance to the complex is right at the rotunda.

JonarSabilano
11-03-2008, 11:11 AM
^ Thanks. Is it a new building?

Kid Cubao
11-03-2008, 11:22 AM
yes, bago yan. there used to be shell surface tennis courts where the new ynares sports arena now stands. mukhang nagsilipatan na ang mga tennis regulars sa valle verde country club, dahil dun may bubong ;D

batangueño
11-17-2008, 05:04 AM
The Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig is, literally, too small. Even a regular UAAP game cannot be held in such a small venue. :o

JonarSabilano
11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
OK ang airconditioning sa Ynares Sports Arena. The place is clean and well-maintained. Medyo maliit, though. I thought it looked like a warehouse or something.

batangueño
11-17-2008, 04:18 PM
OK ang airconditioning sa Ynares Sports Arena. The place is clean and well-maintained. Medyo maliit, though. I thought it looked like a warehouse or something.

Bago pa kasi yung venue so expected nang maayos pa ang facilities niyan. Ewan ko lang kapag wala nang Ynares na nakapwesto sa Kapitolyo ng Rizal at baka matulad na din yan sa Cuneta Astrodome ng Pasay. :o

The Ynares Sports Arena is really small. I doubt that it can host more than a thousand spectators at one time. In fact, it looks more like a huge covered badminton court than of a basketball court to me.

Perhaps the Ynares Sports Arena can be better off as a venue for team practices or for very small basketball games (i.e. PBL and some PBA games). I really don't think a regular UAAP basketball game or even a regular UAAP volleyball game (the center court has provisions for the installation of a volleyball net) can be held in a very small venue like the Ynares Sports Arena.

Isa lang ang puna ko dun sa Ynares Sports Arena: yung parang bakod separating the Ringside and Lower Level sections. How can anyone seated at the Lower Level section have a clear view of the action on court if he is being distracted by a huge iron fence? ::)

Accessibility-wise, okay ang Ynares Sports Arena given the fact that it is located along Shaw Boulevard. Yun nga lang, mahirap pumunta sa Megamall kasi medyo mahaba ang lalakarin kapag nasa may EDSA ka na. ;D

Jeep
11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Congratulations sa magiting na announcer ng UAAP na si Pareng ROLLY MANLAPAZ, na siya na ngayong venue manager sa The Arena sa San Juan. Hindi ko akalain ganun pala siya kalakas kay Sir Dave Dualan ng Fil-Oil, na siya na ngayong primary corporate sponsor ng The Arena. Meron pa palang car plan si Pareng Rolly mula sa Fil-Oil, talaga nga naman kapag binwenas ang tao... ;D

sir wang-bu, di kayâ, ROLLY MANLAPAZ ang kailangan din ng ULTRA? ika nga ni ebdane, hehehe ;)

now we know why the a/c was on the blink the whole time during round 1, when the UAAP's non-araneta games were played there. walang pera sa kabàn ng ULTRA, kasi nasa bulsa pala nitong dalawang ito. :-[

read the rest of the article here: http://ph.news.yahoo.com/star/20091104/tph-supreme-court-orders-executives-pay-b9426e6.html

===================

Supreme Court orders 2 executives: Pay government P22 million for mismanaging ULTRA

Philstar.com - Wednesday, November 4

MANILA, Philippines - The Supreme Court (SC) has affirmed a Court of Appeals (CA) decision ordering two top executives of the University of Life Foundation Inc. (ULFI) that operated Ultra Complex (now PhilSports Arena) in Pasig City to pay the government over P22.55 million in damages for mismanaging the sports complex.

In a ruling, the second division of the High Court said ULFI director and chief executive officer Manuel Luis Sanchez and president Henri Khan were liable under Section 31 of the Corporate Code for gross negligence “in directing the affairs of their corporation.”

The SC junked a petition for review filed by Sanchez seeking to reverse the CA decision that upheld the ruling of a Pasig City regional trial court (RTC) that found him and Khan personally liable for ULFI’s corporate liability.

“Under the circumstances, the indubitable conclusion is that petitioner Sanchez and Khan acted in bad faith, if not with gross negligence in failing to perform their duty to remit to (the then Department of Education, Culture and Sports or) DECS or keep in safe hands ULFI’s incomes from the leases,” stated the SC ruling penned by Associate Justice Roberto Abad.

Associate Justices Renato Corona, Conchita Carpio Morales, Minita Chico-Nazario and Arturo Brion concurred in the decision.

duphaR007
11-04-2009, 09:48 PM
sint it that the venue manager of fio oil arena before eh yung matangkad na maputiing girl na masungit?

so rolly replaced her already?

5FootCarrot
06-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Commuting directions to the Marikina Sports Complex, please?

Kid Cubao
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
take a marikina-bound jeep na dadaan ng sumulong avenue, tapos sabihin mo bababa ka marikina sports complex. older drivers remember it as rodriguez sports center. when you see the track oval and football field, you're there.

pio_valenz
06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Funny you should ask. I'm playing a pick-up game there tomorrow night. Sa tabi ng McDo Sumulong, halos katapat ng Toyota Marikina.

Mel
07-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Araneta Coliseum to be renamed as "Smart Araneta Coliseum"

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=708020&publicationSubCategoryId=69

maroonmartian
07-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Araneta Coliseum to be renamed as "Smart Araneta Coliseum"

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=708020&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Future Look of the Big Dome?

http://bahay.ph/polarmines/images/n4.jpg

From http://fjordz-hiraya.blogspot.com/

A new court look (sorry masyado malaki):

http://www.pizzaandbeer.com.ph/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Pizza-and-Beer-Ultimate-AllStar-Weekend-NBA-PBA-Kobe-CP3-DRose-Durant-18.jpg

So far the court is now predominantly blue (including the endlines) except the key. Also, the name logo of Smart is plastered even in the endline. I hope they remove the old three point line and the trapezoidal line of the old FIBA key. It is now useless.

And are they planning to increase the seating capacity (15,000 as of late).

maroonmartian
08-20-2011, 06:15 PM
SM Arena
Capacity: 16,000 (Basketball)

By 2012 matatapos na ito at dito ito maghohost ng NCAA at UAAP tournament. May competition na Araneta. Tingin na lang kayo sa net ng pics.

maroonmartian
08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96N5rLqExrM

This is the biggest project of the Iglesia ni Cristo ever. Who would have thought they could but just look at their grandiouse headquarters in QC. Here are some of the facts:

Seats: 50,000
Purpose:
- Auditorium
-Church Service
-Political Rally?
-SPORTS EVENTS aka. volleyball, badminton and BASKETBALL

No football pitch in the Arena but they will plan to add a new track and field stadium nearby. Here are some of the model of the Arena.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xAmMWZy7e4k/TlAl3se4z9I/AAAAAAAAFGA/WNI7tcwx9X8/s1600/Philippine%2BArena.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uwXqOsqthtc/TlBWfWynCXI/AAAAAAAAFGM/OnzS-xM3Zyc/s1600/Philippine+Arena+Bulacan.jpg

oca
08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
On the MOA and Philippine Arenas.

The best thing about them is they are completely a private sector undertaking.

We should be glad facilities such as this will be available when the need arises without the taxpayer being burdened of paying for its upkeep and maintenance over the long-term. No cost or expense will be passed on to the tax paying public during periods of operating losses.

The Philippine Arena is a prime candidate to be a white elephant. It's relative distance from the base of the NCAA and UAAP makes it unattractive to become a venue for these leagues' year round activities. Pero dahil private sector naman ito, sige lang patayo lang kayo ng patayo.

As for the MOA Arena, I am curious as to the pricing of its tickets when the NCAA and UAAP eventually holds its games here. Also another concern will be the cost of food and drinks in this venue. Comportablé ka nga sa panonood, papatayin ka naman sa gutom dahil sa mahal ng pagkain sa loob! Yung mga purely and plainly school fans isang laro lang sinasadya ng mga yan, pero ang mga baliw sa basketball, lahat ng magandang macth-up ay panonoorin. Sa UAAP laging twin-bill. Sa NCAA may Juniors kaya 4 na laro yan-- maraming pagkakataon 3 laro ang magandang panoorin. Baka mamutla tayo sa lipas ng gutom sa mahal ng pagkain sa MOA Arena. :'(

maroonmartian
08-24-2011, 11:43 AM
^ Regarding on the two "big" arenas:

SM Arena in Pasay City near SM Mall of Asia
Aside from bus and taxi, medyo inaccessible ang Arena na ito. Yung sa food prices naman sana babaan nila. SM should realize this in order to attract more patrons. Araneta kasi mahal ng pagkain sa loob kaya minsan ginagawa ko kumakain muna sa labas bago pumasok. Ang MAJOR CONCERN ko sa Arena na ito ay ang EARTHQUAKE PREPAREDNESS. Nagkalindol pa naman sa US kanina. Paglumindol sa Manila may problema ka.
1) Liquifaction of the land in MOA. Remember reclaimed area ito at hindi bato yung foundation. They should address this.
2) Yung posibleng tumama na tsunami kung meron

PHILIPPINE ARENA
I doubt the "white elephant" ito. Gagawin ng Iglesia ni Kristo (owner) na magkaroon ito ng silbi aside from its primary religious functions. Kung malipat ang NAIA sa Clark ay maganda ang posisyon nito for global events.

atenean_blooded
08-24-2011, 02:19 PM
For the Philippine Arena to work, it should be able to host football matches.

Otherwise, I don't think we need or want a 50,000-seat basketball court.

maroonmartian
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Future venue for Ateneo-La Salle games. ;D
Or venue for NAASCU (where New Era University is a member). Or a prayer rally venue for INC.

Actually may papatayo din sila na FOOTBALL Stadium nearby pero I assume that it wouldn't be 50,000 seater but I hope it would be larger than the Rizal Memorial (renovated to only 13,000) and Panaad Stadium (15,000) COMBINED like 30,000-40,000 seats.

Here is the pick of the separate football stadium. NEU Stadium ata pangalan.

http://www.affordablecebu.com/pictures/articles/news/Philippine-Arena-Largest-Dome-Arena.jpg

bchoter
08-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Upper Z tickets come with disposable binoculars. Referees will be equipped with bullhorns

atenean_blooded
08-26-2011, 04:23 PM
I think they'll want to study how the bigger football venues are built, like Camp Nou in Barcelona or the Bernabeu in Madrid.

maroonmartian
08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
^ The 50,000 Philippine Arena will host BASKETBALLl/volleyball/tennis/badminton events NOT FOOTBALL as the video had said. And the layout had been made so its hard for them to deviate from it? Also, unlike the Araneta Coliseum, it would have have an uneven view. Auditorium siya where the stage is on the other side. Think of it as an OBLONG (not like Araneta's CIRCLE figure. One end will have the stage would have the stage and the other one the projector?

Siguro libre na yung Section Z kung ganun. Sulit na sila sa gastos eh. ;D

atenean_blooded
07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
MOA Arena bulok

Tsiken
07-27-2012, 11:38 PM
ito ang alternate venue kapag naging host ang Santo Tomas...

http://www.varsitarian.net/files/neo_centennial_supplement/the_quadricentennial_pavilion_thumb.jpg

for more pics...

http://oneforust.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=around&action=display&thread=11&page=3

Mel
12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/9177_545511152125601_510013313_n.jpg

Newly installed Upper B seats of Araneta Coliseum

Mel
04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Air-conditioning planned for Rizal Coliseum in bid to lure top leagues back to historic venue
By Reuben Terrado
April 19, 2013, 01:52 pm

PSC commissioner Jolly Gomez said the government sports agency is looking to complete air-conditioning work on the 79-year-old venue before July, in time for the start of the collegiate basketball season.

Gomez said a group has already offered to sponsor the installation of the units.

“We are trying to work on it right now,” said Gomez. “A sponsor has been offered to us, but at the same time, may pondo naman ang PSC.”

The Rizal Coliseum used to play host to some of the biggest basketball games in the country, but decades of neglect - as well as constant floods in the Vito Cruz area in Manila - have left it in a sorry state.

Previous PSC administrations had planned, but failed, to install air-conditioning in the venue.

Nowadays, it is only rented out to corporate leagues and other small tournaments. With an upgrade, Gomez hopes they can convince leagues like the UAAP and NCAA to return to the historic venue.

Gomez said he has met with incoming UAAP secretary/treasurer Malou Isip of Season 76 host Adamson on Monday to offer not just the Rizal Coliseum but also other PSC-maintained venues for use of the league's events.

“We want to encourage the use of our venues because these venues are for the public, instead of commercial venues where the only ones who are benefiting are the owners,” said Gomez.

In order to save on costs, Gomez said the agency will put in separate units instead of a centralized air-conditioning system, which has been done in provincial venues.

read the rest here: http://www.spin.ph/sports/psc-poc/news/air-conditioning-to-be-installed-at-rizal-coliseum-in-bid-to-lure-top-leagues-back-to-historic-venue

MrM
08-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Dear SM MOA Arena Management,

Your employees seem to be pickpockets. There are already stories from fans and sports personalities (like Gretchen Ho and the Chinese-Taipei basketball team's coach) of attempted or actual robberies while inside SM MOA Arena. Please lang, can't you do something about it?!

abcdef
08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Di na isolated incident yung angyayari sa MOA. . . kailangan na talaga ma aksyunan yan!