PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment Of The Season (Season 71)

Dark Knight
08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Reaching the homestretch, we can now weigh the players performance.

Who among the players you thought will have a breakout season this year, (after showing a lot of promise the previous year) but never quite made an impact this season.

1. Khasim Mirza - i thought this guy will average in 20's this season after shooting the lights out last year. A 3 point artist but somehow got limited playing time from Coach Pido.

2. Ric Cawaling - last years ROY, i expect him to be the Tams take charge guy in his sophomore year. But he averages no more than 10 points with inconsistency to boot. But in fairness, he's very emotional, crying everytime FEU wins.

3. Migs De Asis - just dissapeared from the limelight. Limited playing time also.

4. Edwin Asoro - he already showed enough in his 5 years playing in the UAAP but in his last year, keeps on shooting airballs from the rainbow region.

5. Marcy Arellano - he is playing better in his last 2 games.

6. Paul Lee - slasher, scorer, but somehow still struglling.

Those mentioned above are just my personal opinions.

;D

aircanda
08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
2. Ric Cawaling - last years ROY

maybe a case of sophomore jitters..

i-point
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Nakalimutan niyo 'ata si Kirk Long.

Dark Knight
08-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Nakalimutan niyo 'ata si Kirk Long.

Nice suggestion.

nash_bedista
08-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Nahawa ata kay Migs de Asis sila Cawaling, Mirza at Paul Lee... Sophomore Jitters ;D

yellow_we
08-25-2008, 07:28 AM
I must agree. My disappointment goes to our sophomore f/g Khasim. He just can't simply get his rhythm back ever since he got injured. Oh well, it's not too late though. He is at least trying to get his game back in the remaining games slowly but surely contributing some points production. :)

evil_fish
08-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Lalagay ko sana buong team kaso baka magalit na naman yung mga loyal supporters kuno ng isang team sa UAAP ;D

Asoro has been a dissapointment ever since his sophomore year. All the losing has probably exacted its toll on him. Sayang, he could have been one of the UAAP greats by now if only he went to a school with a winning program.

USTe's replacement for Allen Evangelista and Jojo Duncil all fell short of expectations - Mirza, Allera, Taylor and Gile.

theunderdog
08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Lalagay ko sana buong team kaso baka magalit na naman yung mga loyal supporters kuno ng isang team sa UAAP ;D

Asoro has been a dissapointment ever since his sophomore year. All the losing has probably exacted its toll on him. Sayang, he could have been one of the UAAP greats by now if only he went to a school with a winning program.

USTe's replacement for Allen Evangelista and Jojo Duncil all fell short of expectations - Mirza, Allera, Taylor and Gile.

ako na lang. ust. there i said it. i thought they will make the final 4 contest very tight. i picekd them over feu to complete the final 4 cast

eightyfiver
08-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Paki-correct na lang iyong sfelling ng disappointment.

Dark Knight
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Paki-correct na lang iyong sfelling ng disappointment.

Jesus, i never noticed it. Sorry. ;D

THE ONLOOKER
08-25-2008, 10:07 PM

Adamson Falcons is the biggest disappointment on UAAP season 71. There's no doubt about it. All the hype is gone after their first four games. They are breaking worst UAAP records this season.

King_stag
08-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Mike Galinato, he had a monster game in his debut as a falcon. after that he gone MIA >:(

blueatheart
08-25-2008, 11:19 PM
UST.

cub
08-25-2008, 11:32 PM
PJ Walsham. he's playing below expectations. i thought he'll average something like 8ppg and 7rpg before the season but he's season71 average is just 2ppg and 3rpg.

Howard the Duck
08-26-2008, 02:04 AM
UST

bchoter
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Disappointing? The well-dressed woman from a particular who repeatedly badmouthed a trio of supporters who had the misfortune of seating in a crowd dominated by the supporters frmo the other school (where that woman appears to belong). You wouldn't believe that a woman of her age (50-ish) and appearance (well-dressed with borloloy to boot and with kagalang-galang looking man beside her) would be capable of spewing "yang tatlong jologs na yan ang buwisit... bakit ba nakiki upo sa atin yan... yukkk" or "ang papangit nila... gusto ko silang hampasin" (with matching umang of the give away balloons or whatever you call them giveaways) or "paalisin na nga yang mga yan ang papangit nila mga jologs mga taga ______ na yan... grabe ang pangit pangiiiiit" while the cheerdancers were performing. I was supposed to root for her school because their win will benefit us (UST) but I changed my mind.

Sa teams? NU and AdU pa rin for me. There was a game for both teams that they just mailed it in.

oca
08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
UST a disappointment?

Collectively or team wise, I wouldn't consider UST a disappointed taking into account the injury that befell Japs. It would be easy to say that UST could have gone way above .500 during the stretch he was absent and that would put them in a better position in the team standings going into the last two weeks of the elims.

Pero malas at na-injure si Japs, kaya gapang ngayon ang UST.

Would the team be among the top 4 in the standings if the likes of Mirza et al had played better. I doubt. Every team exploits the weakness of their opponents. Walang kapalit si Japs. Bagito ang kasunod sa rotation. Whereas sa ibang position, solid ang palitan ng UST.

Nang bumalik si Japs, hindi naman yan motor na i-switch mo lang okay na.

Kaya yung batikos kay Coach Pido,* mali yun. Pilay ang team sa pagkawala ni Japs. Pinilit na nga ang twin bulilits at ibang klaseng motivation na ang binigay para lang mapunuan yung pagkawala ni Japs. Pero talagang hilaw pa.

Kung may isyu man sa coach, now on his 3rd year with the team, bakit nangyari na walang dependable- at least a second year player- na back-up si Japs. Dapat nakita na nila ang kakulangan na iyon 2 years ago. Hindsight? Maybe. Pero, para que may 15 kang player subalit gumagamit ka lang ng 9 o 10 bawat laro? Gamitin mo yung last 5 spots to stack up on certain positions.

Anyway, OT na yan. Pero I don't think disappointment ang UST. Malas, pwede pa.

Teka, may chance pa pala ito sa F4. ;D ;D ;D

myktristan
08-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Let's just wait and see na lang on Thursday if UST would really be a disappointment for this season..there's still a slim chance of getting into final four and i'm keeping my hopes alive..hehe.. ::)

oca
08-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Di man pumasok ang UST sa F4, I wouldn't call their season a disappointment.

Malas, oo.

Pag pumasok sa semis, yun ang swerte!

Pero yung kalalabasan ng laro sa semis, kung sakali man umabot dun ang Tigers, pagalingan na yun!

batangueño
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Just like Ka oca, I still would not consider UST as a disappointment this season given the fact that the Tigers still have a shot for the last Final Four slot. However, if there is really someone who can be considered a complete disappointment in Season 71, that would be Adamson big man Mike Galinato, who did quite well during the pre-season games and earlier part of the UAAP season but was not a contributor to the Falcons' campaign nowadays.

bg_eagle
08-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Let's just wait and see na lang on Thursday if UST would really be a disappointment for this season..there's still a slim chance of getting into final four and i'm keeping my hopes alive..hehe.. ::)

I wouldn't really call UST's chances slim at this point. More or less UE and UST have an even chance of getting in. Maybe lamang lang ng kaunti ang UE because of that 1 game advantage. But both teams still have their fates in their hands because they will still meet each other. If UST sweeps the remaining games, they have a shot of at least a playoff for fourth. If UE sweeps, they get 4th place outright.

biboy
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
PJ Walsham. he's playing below expectations. i thought he'll average something like 8ppg and 7rpg before the season but he's season71 average is just 2ppg and 3rpg.

onga., wat na nanyare sa knea., di na sya binibigyan ng playing tym., last year na ba nya ngayon??

stonecold316
08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
For me, some of the UST fans/supporters. Why? Because hindi pa tapos ang season nagtatawag na kagad na sibakin/mag resign si coach Pido. Talk about supporters who easily abandons a team when already down.

mangtsito
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Marcy "Itlog" Arellano

bchoter
09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
He'll be the cover story for Choke Magazine

stonecold316
09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
He'll be the cover story for Choke Magazine

Tama ka diyan manong.
Anyway, choke ba talaga or may ibang rason?

bchoter
09-16-2008, 03:34 PM
^ Magandang TANong din yan pare.

RuckuS
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
eto disappointing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O598Bc-lOhU

Wang-Bu
09-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Marcy Arellano na talaga. Fifth year na, captain ball na, ano ginawa para sa mga Anak Ni Lualhati nung crucial Final 4 na laban kontra Ateneo? 0, as in ZERO, as in ZERO-for-six from the field.

Hindi man disappointing pero nakakapanghinayang: ang MVP season ni King Tiger Jervy Cruz. Dahil hindi nakahabol sa Final 4 ang USTe malabo na sigurong maka-back to back MVP si Jervy Cruz, 'yan ang talagang ginahasa ng malas.

Si Kirk Long ng Ateneo hindi ko malaman kung qualified siya as disappointment. Parang may ginawang kakaibang experiment sa laro niya si Norman Black at nagkanda-leche leche tuloy mga diskarte ni Long.

tigerman
09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
^ Actually, karamihan sa mga "disappointments" this season are sophomores - Mirza, Long, Cawaling, Sanga etc.

Tinamaan ng lintik na sophomore jinx siguro. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Eagle_Eyes
09-17-2008, 11:06 AM
^ though long's season isn't over yet so who knows what might still happen right? :)

coreytaylor
09-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Si Kirk Long ng Ateneo hindi ko malaman kung qualified siya as disappointment. Parang may ginawang kakaibang experiment sa laro niya si Norman Black at nagkanda-leche leche tuloy mga diskarte ni Long.

and that experiment would be bacon austria. i think bacon replaced kirk's role in the team this year. ginagawa na kasing ballhandler si bacon and he is doing it very well through out the season and most people never expected that. what's disappointing about kirk is his poor shooting this year and being gun shy.

RuckuS
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
^ Actually, karamihan sa mga "disappointments" this season are sophomores - Mirza, Long, Cawaling, Sanga etc.

Tinamaan ng lintik na sophomore jinx siguro.* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

medyo matanda na ata si Mirza masyado para tamaan ng sophomore jinx. he's already played his third UAAP season, plus an additional i dunno seasons sa World City College. hehe ;D baka beterano jinx ..

bossman
09-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Sayang talaga UST for this season. Sino ang mag aakala na hindi sila papasok final four. Ang dami PBL veterans, ganda ng cohesion and deep yun line up. naging problem lang siguro is medyo napa aga ng pag rebuild si Coach Pido. Masyado nya nabigyan ng confidence yun mga rookies na pag dating ng end game ang naging problem. I think it was two or three games na ganun ang nangyari. Sayang din. Maybe next year they could bounce back again.

tigerman
09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
medyo matanda na ata si Mirza masyado para tamaan ng sophomore jinx. he's already played his third UAAP season, plus an additional i dunno seasons sa World City College. hehe* ;D baka beterano jinx ..

Just a correction, season 71 was Mirza's 2nd season in the UAAP. He was a rookie last season.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Schortsanitis
09-18-2008, 12:04 AM
- Hans Thiele (UE)
- Khasim Mirza (UST)
- Justin Chua (ADMU)
- Nico Salva (ADMU)

joelex
09-18-2008, 12:15 AM
i dont think disappoinments si chua and salva. They didnt play much really to be labeled as such and they were not expected to play a lot in the first place. Maybe in 2 yrs time before we can recall the hype they had this year and judge them again.

Kid Cubao
09-18-2008, 08:07 AM
i think schortsainitis has a bone to pick with his mention of chua and salva, who are both ROOKIES.

for me, the disappointments are for those whom much is expected, but came up way short:

1. marcy arellano
2. jobe nkemakolam
3. mark agustin
4. PJ walsham
5. khazim mirza
6. kirk long

the first four were reduced to super seniors holding on to the coattails of their younger, more driven teammates, while the last two fell victim to the dreaded sophomore jinx.

Joescoundrel
09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
^ Papa Kid, I don't think much was expected of Jobe Nkemakolam. He was after all the 16th man on the lineup after the UAAP decided we'd have 16 players per roster. Meaning were it not for the roster expansion Jobe would not have had a spot at all.

Of course you might be talking about Jobe's basketball career in general. In which case I'm with you 100%, he certainly f---ed it up big time on that score.

The_Big_Cat
09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Arellano - 5th year man, started every game for UE and only averaged 9 ppg.
Walsham - 5th year man, should have given stability to the frontline of DLSU.
Long - Started almost every game in the pre-season for the Blue Eagles but saw limited time in the UAAP.
Mirza - had a fabulous rookie season together with Long but injuries in the pre-season have halted his development.

Schortsanitis
09-18-2008, 04:41 PM
i think schortsainitis has a bone to pick with his mention of chua and salva, who are both ROOKIES.

No, just because I labeled them as disappointments, doesn't mean I have a bone to pick against them.

These kids coming out of high school had unbelievable hype surrounding them. Hence, I was expecting something special would happen now that they are in college.

It turns out that they need some time to "adjust" to the college game, just like most not-so-hyped rookies out there. Hence, the disappoinment.

Hey, if they go out and finally live up the hype, I'd be out there praising them, too.

mortalmar
09-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Walsham - 5th year man, should have given stability to the frontline of DLSU.

Walsham gives stability to the DLSU bench. Sa dulo kasi siya nakaupo parati. Pag tumayo siya, tataob yung bench :P

greenblade
09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
hehehehehehe ;D
pabayaan nyo na yang 5th year rookie of the year namin

stonecold316
09-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Mga refs as usual.
Sa players, arellano at mirza. Below par performance nila.

rainmaker
09-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Disclaimer: I barely followed the games this season, esp La Salle's but I can't see what the big deal about recruiting Simon Atkins was. I know he said right out of HS that it was DLSU or bust for him -- so it didn't really matter to other schools -- but in seeing him play...ewan, nalilito ako kasi di ko nakikita yung galing niya. I'd take Martin Reyes over him any day. Comments??

Dark Knight
09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Disclaimer: I barely followed the games this season, esp La Salle's but I can't see what the big deal about recruiting Simon Atkins was.* I know he said right out of HS that it was DLSU or bust for him -- so it didn't really matter to other schools -- but in seeing him play...ewan, nalilito ako kasi di ko nakikita yung galing niya.* I'd take Martin Reyes over him any day.* Comments??

May punto ka. Si Atkins ay hindi tipo ng player na mapapa "wow, grabe ang galing naman nyan". But give this kid a little more time. baka may ihuhusay pa ito.

Remember Rabeh? From 2 points per game in his rookie year to MVP in his 4th.

miggzs
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I think what spells the difference between Martin Reyes and Simon Atkins is that Atkins is more aggressive overall. Atkins is a definite play-maker. He can defend well too. Reyes, on the other hand, just really loves counting by three. :p

I believe Atkins has the ability to become DLSU's leader in the next years. He may not be a scoring machine but his ability to make others look better, as he proved in leading Zobel to the championship, will be his main weapon.

pio_valenz
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
^Atkins was the main reason DLSZ manhandled UPIS in the 2005 finals. And I say this with utmost respect being a UPIS grad who was stunned to see the Junior Maroons being so easily picked apart by Zobel. No one from UPIS could match up with Atkins. He anchored Zobel's offense so well, he actually boosted the stock of Migs De Asis, Dan Salvador and Martin Reyes going into the '06 recruiting wars.

MaD CoW
10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
At this point, I see more upside in the game of LA "Bang-Bang" Revilla than Simon Atkins.* Bang-Bang is a more fundamentally sound point guard, and considering he is a rookie (compared to Atkins who's in 3rd year college but played just his 2nd UAAP season), I think he played more composed and orchestrated DLSU's plays much better.* Also, I think Simon Atkins needs to get his head more in the game and stop engaging opposing players in trash-talking wars.* His bark is far worse than his bite.* :P

bossman
10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Disclaimer: I barely followed the games this season, esp La Salle's but I can't see what the big deal about recruiting Simon Atkins was.* I know he said right out of HS that it was DLSU or bust for him -- so it didn't really matter to other schools -- but in seeing him play...ewan, nalilito ako kasi di ko nakikita yung galing niya.* I'd take Martin Reyes over him any day.* Comments??

Credential wise Atkins was a very good pick over anyone in the UAAP Juniors. Imagine a guy that big averaging almost a triple double at his size. Any coach would really love to have that on your team right? There maybe a lot of reasons why he did not lived in to the expectations. One, he might be having a hard time adjusting to the seniors game. It is not given a juniors stand out that you can dominate in the seniors. Two, he might not be really inclined with the coaching system. We all know different players play different system and they have a very hard time adjusting. He may be not have adjusted his ball game. Over confidence came to him maybe that he can do what he is doing in the juniors but it is not effective for the seniors game.

RuckuS
11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
^^ he reminds me a lot of Luigi Trillo during his prime. good HS credentials, high basketball IQ but low on athleticism and basketball talent. he can be good playmaker, he can be a leader, but as far as being clutch is concerned, THAT we'll still need to see. Atkins still has a few more years to prove his worth, else he end up as another sosyal tisoy player whose only role is to make pa-cute on the court and make the ladies and gays shriek all game long.

@Dark Knight

Atkin's cant be compared to Rabeh since everyone knows that Al-Hussaini always had the potential to really make an impact in the UAAP. he's athletic, he's agile, he has a dependable outside jumper and he's HUGE at an intimidating height of 6'7. it was only his attitude that needed readjustment. on his 4th year it finally sank into Al-Hussaini's brain that he can dominate if he just wanted to, and that he did this season.

a better comparison for Atkins should be Chris Tiu. Tiu was almost a complete bust during his first 2 seasons in the UAAP. he was over hyped by the press and by the Ateneo fans, thus making him too overated for his own good. he played to soft, played too much on the outside, afraid to take it inside because he might get hurt -- even missed a crucial fast break layup. but on his 3rd season(after returning for a 1 year hiatus from Basketball), he suddenly proved everybody wrong. he may not be the fastest on the court, not the most athletic, but he's the smartest. he developed a pass first shoot later mentality and made his teamates(ex. Ford Arao) better, and when crunchtime came, he made himself the designated shooter, not afraid to make the shots that really count. NOW if Atkins can do a "Christ Tiu" then DLSU will be a sure championship contender for years to come.

a_ron
11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Migs De Asis expected much from him espcially his tree point bombs but wala....

GHRanger
11-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I think a good example with this would be TY Tang. The first 2 years TY was just another ballhandler, but I guess he made us eat our words last year. Give Simon another year. The injury as well did not help him. On the upside, he will be the senior PG for DLSU on a team that maximizes the PG position, he will be put in the same situation TY was on his third year.

MaD CoW
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Migs de Asis lived up to my expectations this season.* ;D

mangtsito
11-13-2008, 12:42 AM
^Uy, off-topic iyan. Hindi ka naman disappointed ah. ;D

MaD CoW
11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I was disappointed... for wasting away two hours of my life that I could never get back... ;D

mangtsito
06-13-2009, 05:12 AM
NOW if Atkins can do a "Christ Tiu" then DLSU will be a sure championship contender for years to come.

Not to veer too much away from the topic, but DLSU has always been championship contender. ;) It's sort of the status quo in the UAAP.

maroonmartian
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM

Migs de Asis lived up to my expectations this season. ;D

Possible matanggal siya sa lineup in Season 72. The chances are very high. Yung 2 Summer Leagues na sinalihan ng UP, di siya pinasok.