thadzonline
08-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Let's find out about ex-CeSAFI players and their basketball-loving kids

thadzonline
08-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Elmer Mykiel Cabahug now playing in UV seniors squad coached by his father

ankle breaker
08-20-2008, 09:30 PM
and so is rodolfo enterina III of DBTC - son of rudy enterina jr. former PBA player and coach of DBTC

thadzonline
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Yuri Solis of Don Bosco juniors intrigues me. anak kay siya ni Al Solis? Because there's really a striking resemblance pati style of play.

ankle breaker
08-21-2008, 09:52 PM
maybe we can make some verification about it. hehehehe
what about roel gomez? i heard that he doesn't have a son. he has 3 daughters. are they also into basketball?

thadzonline
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Arvin Gomez is currently playing for UC Webmasters in the CeSAFI 2008. he's got his dad's touch

ankle breaker
08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Arvin Gomez is currently playing for UC Webmasters in the CeSAFI 2008. he's got his dad's touch

oh i see, rhoel gomez has a son.

thadzonline
08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
elmer cabahug's son's stats in the CeSAFI 2008

http://www.basketballcebu.com/elmermykkielcabahug.htm

ankle breaker
08-29-2008, 10:37 PM
career high is 9 pts. hopefully he will blossom into a fine shooter like his father.

amdgc82
09-12-2008, 04:29 AM
Mark Jayven Tallo (CIT jrs) - son of Mark Anthony Tallo
Kim Adrian Reyes (USC jrs) - son of Mike Reyes

thadzonline
09-12-2008, 10:09 AM
that Tallo is a freshman at CIT but that kid is like a man amongst the boys already, if only he had better teammates

ankle breaker
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
what about keifer ravena vs. mark jayvee tallo? both are in their early teens. who's gonna win?

bleachertalk
09-17-2008, 01:04 PM
In the BEST Center SBP/Passerelle tournament (& CYBL) are familar names:

*I'll edit this when I get their first names....

Pingoy (son of Jerry)
Naron (son of Mario)
Regidor (2, sons of Lou)
Ortega (2: Ian & Carlo, sons of Cesar)
Aying (Denielle, son of Danny)
Padilla (Arnie, son of Ronnie)

thadzonline
09-27-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.basketballcebu.com/apps/photos/album.jsp?albumID=141100

these field must have familiar names as well...thanks to Sir Rico(aka bleachertalk) for the CYBL

amdgc82
09-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Monday, September 29, 2008
Hoops star shines for USJ-R v’ball team
www.sunstar.com.ph

IT SEEMS volleyball is growing on Rachel Singson.

The former basketball stalwart of the girls team of University of San Jose-Recoletos, is making her niche in the volleyball courts after lifting USJR to another victory in the volleyball competitions of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) yesterday at the University of Southern Philippines gym.

Singson, a longtime basketball player, lifted USJR to a 25-11, 25-14, 25-14, to post their second win in the league.

Singson was all over the court scoring for USJR off her blocks, quick sets, kills and several aces.

“The shift was not that easy for her. It was hard for her to adjust at first especially since in basketball, their jumps are wider compared to volleyball where it is vertical,” said head coach Grace Antigua.

After a year under Antigua’s mentorship, Singson, who is fondly called Montay after her father Montoy who played for Sta. Lucia in the PBA, is now one of the starters for USJ-R.

Adjustment

“She had to go through a lot of adjustments and now, she is one of my trusted players,” said Antigua.

Also contributing to the team’s victory were Aina Laroga, Genie Sabas and Joy Bonita.

The losing USC team was playing with new recruit Chona Gesulga, who had played for Pajo National High School and known volleyball supporter, Fr. Rolando Manayon. Gesulga’s claim to fame was during the Shakeys Girls competition and the Governors Cup.

Meanwhile, Southwestern University also registered its second win after defeating Cebu Doctors University, 25-13, 26-24, 25-16.

In the men’s side, USJ-R also delivered its second victory but only after surviving the gritty University of the Visayas, 28-30, 25-16, 26-24, 25-19.

USJ-R gave up five set-points in the first set, which eventually went to UV. After being down by a set, the USJ-R squad then swept the next three sets to win the match.

Defending men’s champion USC pulled off an easy 25-8, 25-15, 28-26 victory over Cebu Institute of Technology, before UC won 25-16, 25-10, 25-17 over CDU. (MCB)

a_ron
09-29-2008, 08:41 AM
The Sumalinog boys,Oping just won a championship with ateneo...

a_ron
09-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Hermes Sumalinog of UV green Lancers

ankle breaker
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Hermes Sumalinog of UV green Lancers

hermes, you mean the coach?

amdgc82
10-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
The other Chris is an Eagle from the south
By Justine Paredes Of Sun.Star Manila
www.sunstar.com.ph

FOR a Blue Eagle who soared high in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) league, Christopher Lou “Oping” Sumalinog still has that gleam in his eyes when he talks about two things—family and basketball.

Ateneo Blue Eagles defeated long-time rival De La Salle Green Archers, 62-51, in this year’s UAAP 1st season. They won the title after a five-year drought with an impressive sweep in the battle-of-three series.

During the victory bonfire for the Eagles, Oping and his teammates were still up even past 1 a.m. to entertain a line of fans—from kids to moms—who wanted to get their autographs and pose with them before the camera.

For Oping, this could just be a preview to what the next years will hold.

Dream come true

Hailing from Cebu, it had always been Oping’s dream to pursue his love for basketball in Ateneo. He started his varsity career in Don Bosco Technological School, Labangon when he was in the fourth grade.

Coming from a family of basketball players, he discovered at a young age his passion for the game and later on decided this is what he wanted to do all his life.

Oping’s father Hermes Sumalinog is a University of the Visayas (UV) hoops legend and his older brothers—Michael Anthony and Hermes Jr.—are players of the University of Sto. Tomas (UST) Growling Tigers and the Mapua Cardinals, respectively The 19-year-old cager admitted that while in high school, he never thought he would be able to set foot in one of the most prestigious universities in the Philippines, much more to play for the most sought-after team in the university level.

“Sa amo-a sauna, ang Ateneo kay di maabtan, murag taas kaayo’s tanan (Before, Ateneo for us was unreachable, it was so ‘up there’),” Oping confessed.

He recalled when he was nine years old that while playing basketball with his dad, siblings, and some priests, they tease him he would play with the Blue Eagles when the time comes.

Reality

The joke turned into a reality when he was recruited to play for the Ateneo Blue Eagles. In 2006, he was admitted to the team and after a year of tryouts, he became part of it.

When asked how getting into the team felt like, Oping could not quite find the words to express how grateful he was for the opportunity, similar to the feeling when playing in the Araneta during UAAP season.

Describing what it’s like playing amid a frenzied crowd of a jampacked Araneta coliseum makes him say only three words—an adrenaline rush—particularly when the boys in blue would play against the De La Salle Green Archers, the Blue Eagles’ biggest rival.

When the adrenaline dies down and when there is free time though, Oping makes it a point to have some time alone to reflect on his own and to pray. “Mag muni-muni, meditation, hilig man ko ana (I’m fond of reflecting and meditating).”

Family guy

Oping said his inspiration and motivation before going into any battle on the court is his family.

He considers it a big sacrifice for his parents to allow him to live in faraway Manila to pursue his dream. He knows that him being away from home is not easy for them, considering that he and his family members are very tight.

“They inspire me to work hard, to study hard, they make me want to be responsible in everything that I do, because of course, I’m older now and my parents are getting old as well,” the 6 foot 3 inch small forward said.

Oping is also not the party boy-type and he observes discipline by living a healthy lifestyle. When asked if he drinks, his reply was, “occasionally.”

Home buddy

For a career, which sometimes obliges him to go out at night and party, this homeboy prefers to just hang out at the dormitory and talk to his closest friends—who are also from the province and who also speak his native Bisaya—until the wee hours.

“Ang ako-a, mas malingaw man ko’g kanang naa ra sa dorm, unya mag storya storya ra sa (akong mga amigo) (I get more fun out of just staying at the dorm, and just talking with my friends),” he remarked.

“Storya ra gyud ang kalingawan, kay sa dorm wa man gu’y TV...di man sad ko tig-laagan gud (Talking to my friends is already fun for me, and there’s no TV in the dorm...I don’t go out much),” Oping added with a chuckle.

On balancing his academics, basketball, and social life, Oping says it is all about priorities.

“Buhaton lang jud kung unsa’y dapat buhaton karon. Mag set ka’g priorities bitaw (I just do what needs to be done. I set my priorities),” he asserted.

When asked what his plans are after college, Oping firmly says he wants to live in Cebu, as he prefers the lifestyle in his hometown and so he can be close to his family again.

Love for the game

Oping has already gone far in living his dream.

Being part of the winning team in 2008, he could still remember the last two minutes before the final buzzer, which he describes: “Sa last two minutes pa lang, akong paminaw murag lain na kaayo bitaw...syempre kay nag-expect na ta nga mudaug ba...confident ko (nga makadaug) kay salig pud sa among sistema ba, unya sa mga coaches namo...salig lang sa ilaha, sunod lang sa game plans namo. (During the last two minutes, the feeling was very strange because everyone was expecting a win. I was confident that we would win because I trusted our system, and our coaches...we trust them, and we followed our game plans.)”

With three more playing years with the Blue Eagles, Oping for sure will have more of those adrenaline-pumping moments. Who knows by that time, he may be at the center of all the frenzy.

Basketball is more than a future career for Oping. His love for the game surpasses his desire to play for the big leagues such as the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

When asked what he could have been if he weren’t a basketball player, he shook his head vigorously, an indication that there is nothing else that he wants to do, saying “Di ko ka imagine wala’y basket ba...basig kung ma tiguwang nako (mao gihapon akong ganahan buhaton) (I can’t imagine life without basketball, even when I get old (this is what I still want to do).”

amdgc82
10-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Cabahug: smallest Lancer, UV’s biggest fan
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE University of the Visayas Green Lancers is known to never run out of good players as it has a pool of young, talented cagers, who are just waiting for their turn to go to war.

At a glance, one might think that UV has overdone it as a young boy gets to tag along the UV Green Lancers squad all throughout this season.

Hidden behind the UV giants is a 10-year-old boy, who has become a permanent fixture in every UV game. He is Eduard Matthew Cabahug, who could probably be mistaken as the youngest member of the UV coaching staff.

The son of UV head coach Elmer Boy Cabahug, Eduard, comes to every single game, looking every inch like a member of the coaching staff and every inch like his dad.

“I want to become a basketball player just like my dad,” said Eduard after Game 3 of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. Monday night, where UV lost to University of San Jose Recoletos.

Donning the same uniform as that of the coaches—a green polo shirt with the Lancers logo on the sleeve—Eduard said he was saddened by the loss of his dad’s team, clearly showing that the green shirt is not the only thing he shares with his dad.

Coach Cabahug said his son has the same passion for the sport and the team as him and was just as affected as the rest of the Lancers when they lost. “He was so sad after the loss because he said he prayed hard. But I had to console him and explained to him that God decided to answer USJR’s prayers this time,” his father said.

Eduard is always seen sitting over at the UV bench or on a small bench during games, silently praying when the game gets too close, joining huddles during timeouts. He complains when he feels there is a questionable call and gets sad when they lose. “I pray because I don’t want UV to lose,” Eduard said.

Eduard also harnesses his basketball and coaching skills early and does this by practicing with the Green Lancers everyday and event gives his dad suggestions.

“He writes notes about what he thinks about the game in the white board at home. He also leaves me notes, telling me that I should win,” said coach Cabahug.

Other boys his age could only dream of playing with college ball players, but Eduard is already living it to give his dream of becoming a huge basketball star a major boost. (MCB)

hemster11
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
what about keifer ravena vs. mark jayvee tallo? both are in their early teens. who's gonna win?

for sure mark jayven tallo...he got the moves...he can penetrates....ravena played simple one only

thadzonline
08-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I havent seen kiefer play. But in Cebu, Mark Jayven Tallo is definitely on top of the high school game

amdgc82
11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.cdn.ph/images/layout/cdn_logo.jpg
The son also rises
By Dale Rosal, Rick Gabuya
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 10:44:00 11/05/2009

At first glance, Mark Jayven Tallo looks like your typical fifteen year-old. He hangs out with friends, dabbles in computer games and has quite a number of crushes.

But then again, he’s far from being ordinary. Because this precocious high school basketeer is a certified demon on the basketball court with the jaw-dropping statistics and awards to boot:

* He was one of only five high school cagers in the entire Philippines chosen to represent the country in the jr.NBA camp in the US last April. And Tallo did not only make the camp, he was also chosen as the Philippines jr.NBA Most Valuable Player.

* He bagged the Sportsmanship Award of the Adidas 3-on-3 National Finals despite his team finishing only in fourth place.

* He made the Mythical 5 both in the All Star Games and regular season of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (CESAFI) last year when he was just 14 years old.

* Just recently, he gave his team, the Cebu Institute of Technology Wildkittens its first ever CESAFI secondary crown by sweeping the University of San Jose Recoletos Baby Jaguars in the finals. His squad also beat the powerhouse UV Baby Lancers in the semis, the first time that the Baby Lancers failed to make the finals.

* Then Tallo capped his breakthrough season by bagging the coveted CESAFI MVP award.

His basketball savvy, is actually not surprising. Being the son of former PBA player Mark Tallo who must have toyed with a basketball earlier than a teether, the youngster they say, is bound to be a basketball wonder long before he learned to shoot hoops. And he is equally serious about finishing his studies too, fully aware that the sport loves, won’t be a lifetime tool.

The CHAMP had an online interview with Tallo a few days before his Cesafi title conquest. Read on and find out more about this junior high student who is touted as Cebu’s brightest bet for basketball superstardom.

Why basketball, why not other sport?

Basketball has been part of my family’s life. My father earns a living out of the sport and even played before in the PBA. He also has a Basketball Training Camp every summer and I am one of his training staff. I have this amazing feeling every time I teach and share my talents with others. Through basketball, I become more mature, responsible, learned to communicate well and get along with other people.

Who are your basketball idols?

I idolized my dad. He was not only a good player but also the best basketball coach. Aside from him, NBA players like Chris Paul, Allen Iverson, Jason Williams.

Do you feel any pressure since your father was once a famous PBA player?

No, in fact I am inspired by what my father has achieved and hoped that some day I will be able to play in the PBA too.

Tell me about the hardships you went through before making it to the RP jr.NBA camp?

I trained hard because I really wanted to make it to the RP jr.NBA cast and earn a trip to the US and meet my NBA idols. My dad was a major factor why I was chosen because he really prepared me well and taught me everything he got. The most challenging part happened two days before the jr.NBA in Manila when I was injured in a tune-up game. I really cried because I thought I can’t join the tryout anymore. My ankle was swollen and according to the doctor it will take two weeks to one month for it to heal. But my dad would have none of it. He put ice pack on my swollen ankle and I virtually slept with it. Miraculously, after two days it healed.

What are your unforgettable experiences when you attended the jr.NBA camp in the US?

It was a surreal feeling, add to that the super cold weather in the US. It took long before I was able to convince myself that I was part of the most scientific basketball training camp in the world. I was grateful because I got the chance to be trained by NBA legend Ron Harper. Another unforgettable thing was when I met the US’ jr.NBA team. They were very friendly and accommodating. But the most unforgettable experience was when we watched an NBA game live in New Jersey. I keep asking myself if it was really happening. From just watching the games on TV, there I was, watching it live. It was unbelievable.

Who are the NBA stars you met during that trip?

I’ve seen a lot but got to meet and interact only with Ron Harper.

What advice did he give you?

It was a simple advice. Just practice hard and focus on our game and double our effort towards achieving our goals.

Did you expect to be named as one of the country's five representatives to the jr.NBA camp in the US? How did you react?

When I tried out here in Cebu, I was very confident of making it to the Manila tryout. But when I arrived in Manila, I had doubts because the players there were very tall and well-built. But my parents advised me to think positive. I also would like to thank my uncle Dinsay and uncle Manolit who were very supportive during our stay in Manila.

During your trip to the US, have you made friends with campers from other countries? Are you still in contact with them?

No…because when we were in the US, we only met during games ....we also had very hectic schedules.

You are touted as one of the most promising junior cagers in Cebu. What is your reaction?

Every player my age wants to be famous one day. I’m very flattered to hear these compliments and will just try my best to give my 100 percent in every game and try to keep on improving. There’s no room for complacency if you want to reach the top.

For the first time, your team won the CESAFI high school crown beating powerhouse UV in the semis and sweeping the USJ-R Baby Jaguars in the finals series. What’s your secret?

We won because of teamwork, that’s first and foremost. Whether it’s the elimination round or the championship game, we always try to be cohesive knowing that basketball is a team game. My dad also helped a lot in bringing out the best in each one of us. We applied our defense properly, we communicated well and played our respective roles effectively.

The CESAFI has been rocked with player suspensions as of late. Do you think the league commissioner acted judiciously in handing out these suspensions?

We respect the rules and regulations of the CESAFI. And we respect our beloved Commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy. Some players committed mistakes so I think they deserve it. But some players I think are innocent so I don’t think they should be suspended. Also, I think the lifetime ban is too harsh. I am a player myself and as such I just want to show my talent in basketball. I would be dejected if somebody would stop me from doing so.

If you were given the chance to meet and talk with Commissioner Tiukinhoy, what would you tell him?

It would be a great honor for me if I will have the chance to meet and talk to him. I will ask some advice on what to do to further improve my talent.

Do you have a girlfriend or crush? Can you tell us who?

No. I don’t have a girlfriend. Crushes are normal for a teenager like me and I have lots of them. But right now, the special women in my life are my mom and sisters.

Your dad once played in the PBA which is the dream of almost every basketball player. Do you think you can surpass your dad’s achievements?

When I was young and my dad just started training me in basketball, he would always show me some sports articles about his PBA exploits which my mom collected. I want my dad to be proud of me and hope that someday, I will be able to surpass his achievements. I am confident of this because he trained me well.

What advice did your dad constantly tell you?

BE HUMBLE ALL THE TIME. Focus on my game if I am inside the court. And give importance to my education. He told me that I can achieve both if I know how to manage my time well. he encouraged me to always thank God for all the blessings.

Do you think the Philippines has any chance of winning an Olympic medal in basketball? What do think you needs to be done?

I think we still have a chance for an Olympic medal in basketball despite our perennial lack of height. Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up. To win, we need proper training, discipline, teamwork and the fire to beat the other team. And the most important factor, a good coach.

How serious you are in your studies?

I am very serious in my studies because I need to. Basketball is not forever while knowledge is, this is what my mom always tell me. In my school, you can’t be a varsity player if you have failing grades. So I need to study doubly hard.

What is the ultimate dream of a Mark Jayven Tallo?

My ultimate dream is to become a legend in basketball. I want to be like Manny Pacquiao who is known all over the world. Hopefully, someday my dream will come true.

amdgc82
05-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Pingoy now with FEU
By GGM (The Freeman) Updated May 16, 2010 12:00 AM

CEBU, Philippines - Top Cebuano point guard Jerie Marlon Pingoy is now officially a member of the Far Eastern University (FEU) Baby Tamaraws and his new coach Horacio Lim was all praises for the player when he joined his first practice the other day at the FEU gym in Morayta, Manila.

In a telephone interview with coach Lim yesterday, he said that it will only take at least three more years for Pingoy to become FEU’s next Johnny Abarrientos.

“This guy has a lot of promise and potential,” Lim said adding that he is giving the much-needed exposure to Pingoy whom he considered one of the top point guards in the country and that is the main reason why he is putting his trust to the young Cebuano.

Lim said he will include Pingoy in his line-up for the Fr. Martin’s Cup summer league which already started few weeks ago.

He said that while FEU is not faring well in this particular short league, he really doesn’t mind it for as long as the Baby Tamaraws will get themselves busy this summer.

Pingoy will have his baptism of fire in the Fr. Martin’s Cup on Sunday but coach Lim said he don’t know yet who will be their opponent. He said win or lose, it doesn’t matter because what is more important they have been given the exposure to hone up their skills.

In August when both the UAAP and NCAA are already going on, Lim said there will be another Fr. Martin’s Cup for all schools which has Team B players and FEU will also participate so that their reserves can also gain exposure.

He said that Pingoy has already shown his potential in his very first day of practice and he could be elevated into the seniors rank when he graduates in FEU.

“Pingoy could become another Cebuano talent in basketball they must be proud of,” Lim said.

Pingoy and his father Jerry, an ex-pro who was a product of the UV Lancers, left for Manila last May 11.

The young Pingoy played for the University of Cebu. (FREEMAN NEWS)

kerouac82
05-24-2010, 07:08 PM

for sure mark jayven tallo...he got the moves...he can penetrates....ravena played simple one only

So, masama na pala ngayon ang maglaro ng simple game? ??? Napanood mo na nga ba si Ravena, you know, like in the UAAP Finals?

maroonmartian
06-03-2010, 06:37 AM

Unclear masyado yung statement. Its either Ravena played so well he makes it simple or his skills are nothing to Tallo.
I beg to disagree with the second interpretation. ;D I've seen this kid play in the UAAP Finals. Consider also the fact that he has to share the ball with four other players. His performance in the Nokia Pilipinas showed his big potentials. Nakakatakot.